Speaker 1: Defining intelligence. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong and one car. I don't they guy cad.
Speaker 1: Before we get to the intelligence thing or whatever the hell I'm talking about. We have this, Michael, can you explain what we're about to hear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in Colorado, we have a driver who went out to his car and there was a bear inside, and that bear had gotten in and got trapped, and so he calls the sheriff and the two of them try and get this bear out of his car.
Speaker 2: I find myself wondering how the bear got trapped exactly did it shut the door behind itself.
Speaker 1: I find myself wondering what I would do if I walked out and there were a bear sitting in my car with the doors closed. I might stand there for a while and think, Hmmm, who do you call for this problem? He called the sheriff. I'm not sure that's the animal controller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would lawyer. But if you're out in the country. Yeah, let's hear how the manufacturer exactly, the Ford dealer. Very large bear in the front seat. Oh yeah, he looks pissed.
Speaker 1: So we can type some type some para cord to the door, and then we can get back and we can pull it open. Yogi, calm down, I hit it on auto car.
Speaker 3: You're fine that you can buff that out. You guys are totally fine.
Speaker 1: I think what's more impressive is that he opened it and then pursued it to close it behind. Yeah, Yogi has been released from the vehicle. I get it. The idea is how we need to figure out a way to open the doors but not be like so close it if it comes out mad, Yeah, it tears our faces off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the video is way longer than that, but yeah, they come up with this plan and tie a couple of things together and stand back and pull the handle open. And couldn't do that with your mod Darren Tesla, could you? Huh? No? The bear just stay in there. We drive away with your car. That was charming, So as a were in the car where the driver was, somebody's eating berries on your feet.
Speaker 1: That's an example perhaps of what I'm about to talk about with intelligence here is those police officers came across the situation they've never had before and figured out a way to handle it. I have always, not always as an adult, been interested in what is smart mean, what does intelligent even mean? And now that I'm a parent, I really wonder about it because I blame academics. Academics have mostly defined it, defined it clearly, Hello, not a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Failed.
Speaker 1: Academics have defined intelligence in a way that suits them. It's the kind of intelligence they have. Oh, what a shock. You came up with a way of measuring intelligence that puts you at the top of the heap in that grand And that is actually what has happened. And I don't think we've we do at all. We don't have the right words, We don't have the right concept. Even shouldn't intelligence be whatever mental ability allows you to succeed in the world best. I don't care about math or science, or music, or maybe emotional intelligence, although I think that is important to one. It doesn't matter whichever combination allows you to succeed as a human being. That's what should be called smart. Yeah, I know a couple of people that are book smart that are just completely stupid when it comes to everything. That's what I'm saying. We have our labels. Our labels are so insufficient for what I just defined, which should be the only way to define smart. You're able to make your way in the world. We all know plenty of people that are what we usually define as smart who function horribly in the world, whether whether it's with their own finances or relationships, or can't hold the job or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, right, and it pains me to admit this is somebody is fairly verbal, but a verbal intelligence is overrated being glib, being an effective communicator, although it is a great skill, it is. I know people who are fairly quiet, maybe a little bit shy, but they are spectacularly effective at planning, running, growing a business.
Speaker 1: For instance, I'm working towards something with a guy who's got a book out about this, but it just it's you know, it scratched me where I itch because I've wondered about this for a long time. And like I said, now that I've got kids, I'm I'm only worried about what kind of skills or way of looking at the world they need to go out there and succeed. I don't care about a score on any particular kind of test or either. The test is living life and surviving and being happy. That's the test.
Speaker 2: And really it's good to bottom line it like that, because getting your kid into the perfect kindergarten there in Manhattan or whatever. And then the perfect school seventy five thousand dollars a year to get an Ivy League education and a degree. Blah blah blah. It all boils down to can they be successful at life? However you want to define that.
Speaker 1: So I picked this up from Econ Talks Russ Roberts. That's one of the best podcasts it's ever existed. He is one of the first people to have a podcast in two thousand and six, so it caught on Super Smart Guy. It's almost never about economics. He went through all the economics stuff like twenty years ago. It's called Econ Talk still because that is the name of the popular show, but he talks about everything, historians, musicians, whatever the hell. And he had this author on yesterday, a guy named Angus Fletcher who says we've misdefined intelligence, which I've long believed, equating it with data driven reasoning in place of what he calls primal intelligence, which is as good a phrase as any for just what's going to allow you to survive world the uniquely human ability to think and plan in situations with incomplete information. That's about as good a definition of what intelligence ought to be is anything I can come up with the ability to think and plan in situations with incomplete information, And people who can do that well make it through life okay, and people who can't don't.
Speaker 2: Wow. Let's contrast that with a more conventional description of intelligence, which might well be the ability to spout, which is a prejudicial word. Accumulated knowledge, right, which is not a terrible standard. I think more knowledge is good generally.
Speaker 1: But just another tool or something.
Speaker 2: I love that definition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty good. And this guy has got a bunch of degrees in a bunch of different things. But he worked in Hollywood for quite a while. We're with screenplays and stuff like that, how they hold together and how it fits in with the human brain and understanding things, which was really interesting. Drawing on years of work in Hollywood and working with elite military operators, he showed how narratives aren't just entertainment, they're the foundation of human intelligence. He reveals why military special operations personnel need to create new plans on the fly, and how a lot of great literature movies and that sort of stuff, unexpected things happen and people have to deal with them, and we learn from those things about dealing with unexpected situations and what to do in that circumstance. I just thought that was a really fascinating way to look at a definition of intelligence. He believes. Now, of course I like this because I do this, so I have confirmation and bias on this. Why reading challenging literature literally rewires your brain for greater adaptability, He says, I read a lot of complicated literature. I always have enjoy it. Has that improved my life and in that manner? I don't know, but he said he believes he has proof of that, and also working with lots of military people whose whole thing is all of a sudden, your plan ran up against reality. Your plan no longer works. Now you've got to come up with something new with what little information you have to go forward. That's all of life. That's that's every bit of life, the new job you started, the raising kids, every day, it's raising kids, your marriage, you're just everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, that's stuff provoking.
Speaker 1: It really is. I wonder how much you can get better at it, though, he suggests in his book and I listened to the podcast, that we can improve that skill. Normally, the insufficient terms we use for intelligence is kind of like baked in. You either are or aren't. I don't know how much you could you can get. You can get more knowledge, can't really change the wattage of your brain power, but he's seems to believe that you could. You can become much better at adapting to new storylines, new narratives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've often thrown around twenty percent just because I don't know it seems right. You're an introvert. You can probably get about twenty percent more extroverted if you work at it and talk to yourself about why that's worth it and how you're glad you went to the gathering blah blah blah. But you're never going to becomm an extrovert. And if you are, you know, bad at math, you can bust your butt and get at least functional, but you're never gonna, you know, start lecturing people on string theory or whatever. Oh it's so different, you see my point. I mean, if you have no musical talent. I've known people who I remember this in grade school. It struck me at the time, as we would do little melodies on the xylophones and stuff. I had a great music teacher as an elementary school kid. But there are some kids who just had nothing.
Speaker 1: That's shoe on the xylophone right there, and they.
Speaker 2: Couldn't carry a tune. From childhood through adulthood. You might be able to get twenty percent better, but you are never going to sing at the met or even like you know, busk on a street corner. You're just not. So I can see that sort of problem solving ability getting somewhat better, but I think that's probably one of those distinct kinds of intelligence that either have it or you don't. Of course, if you've got Boco Haram shooting at you, and you can tell me if you do this, you'll get twenty percent better at, you know, fixing problems, overcoming obstacles, and staying alive. I'm really really interested in that twenty percent. So I'm intrigued whether you can develop it a lot or a little. It's worth developing.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it's so well? I may have answered the question the beginning academics measure it in such a way that prizes what they're good at. That might be a lot of it, But I understand why we don't have a more clear cut way of kind of ascertaining where people are on the gonna succeed at life scale as opposed to you're gonna succeed in college. Whoopedi shit? I mean you know whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah right. I think part of it is that it's much easier to measure, and it's not useless. I mean you you throw around phrases like whoop de shit and I quote which is a little dismissive.
Speaker 1: That's from my dad.
Speaker 2: That was his phrase for things love. Yeah, because it's not useless. But how how do you measure what you're talking about? Like ability to thrive in life? Especially, here's where it gets crazy complicated. You have that ability in spades, and you decide to dedicate your life to educating poor kids. So who's in charge of counting the number of little kids whose lives you've changed? I mean, accumulating wealth obviously comes to mind, but there are plenty of people who decide that's not what I'm about, or having accumulated to get rid of it all or most of it, So I don't Maybe it's so difficult to measure far smarter I could answer your question, but clearly I'm sorry I've failed.
Speaker 3: Hum Well, I guess that's it.