Speaker 1: So just in case anyone's picking up on it, Lisa sounds a little bit different.
Speaker 2: She's in Montreal.
Speaker 1: We all have lives to live, and so she might sound a smidge farther away than usual, but her opinions are all still there.
Speaker 3: You're going to hear them. Kara's being really nice. I forgot my cord. Okay, I forgot to hit record. I forgot the chord. My internet's wild. I'm gonna blame the VPN. I'm gonna be like, I get it.
Speaker 2: I promise Canada, this is all your fault.
Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 3: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 2: These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done, Hello says, that's messed up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I am Liza Trigger.
Speaker 1: And I am Kara Klank and you guys know what's up. Hopefully we talk about an episode of SVU the true credits based on We talked to an amazing guest who usually was in the episode, and first we just chat and catch up and well, I.
Speaker 2: Love that you said.
Speaker 3: Hopefully, like, hopefully we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: Us for you. Of course we will.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, wait, wait, didn't I I think I meant hopefully someone that was in the episode. But sometimes we talk to a writer or a director, which I also love, so I don't say you didn't have said hopefully. They're always an amazing guest, whether or not they were on camera or not.
Speaker 2: I'm being a little a little bit of a on camera snob bitch.
Speaker 3: I know you really mad when that article was like and they talked to extras and you were like, we have never talked to an extra, Thank you very fucking much.
Speaker 1: They talked to crazy extras. I was like, we've never talked to an extra, Like never.
Speaker 3: No, Sometimes I'll meet people in comics. Little bit I could be on your show. I love SVU, and it's like you can get cast first and then I can talk like are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Do you think we are so okay?
Speaker 1: First of all, we did get an inside scoop from our mole on the inside of a Law and Order us for you that the titles with the twenty four characters or twenty three characters like that coordinate with the with the number of the seasons it is is over. Those days are gone, I'm really we don't need any more. Did you believe in miracles? Question Mark? The titles are driving me crazy and so just wanted to bring that to you first breaking news.
Speaker 2: Also, we are.
Speaker 1: In the time machine, but we need to talk about this Peloton ad. It's like we got we I know, it's like at this point when you guys are listening this episode, it's been a week and a half since that came out, two weeks but wow, did you guys tell us about it?
Speaker 2: It's so thrilling. It was thrilling.
Speaker 3: And then I did see one or two comments on my Twitter that were like nothing we haven't seen in OZ and it's like, shut up, this is as exciting. Okay, if only seeing someone naked one time was enough, then there wouldn't be porn and playable like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You want to see it all? And it was just funny.
Speaker 1: He's onny n he's funny, he's older, he's jacked, and they do.
Speaker 2: The fucking SVU. They got the SVU.
Speaker 1: Voiceover at the end, the Law and Order voiceover, like wait, we got.
Speaker 3: Another scoop the done done yes that it's based on the sound of a jail cell closing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well I had heard that, but I.
Speaker 1: Had also heard maybe it was like a gabble banging, but it's the jail cell closing. It's like a stylized jail cell closing.
Speaker 3: No, Maloney's hot. I'm I want to know how much he got paid. I want to know how many free pelotons he got. I want to know ions. I bet his daughters do. I don't think any pelotons.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a listener that works with the daughter, and we're like, okay, you need to start building up that friendship so that you can slip it to the slip into the information about the pod.
Speaker 2: And did Liz you have a commercial too? Or no? Or was that just extra?
Speaker 3: I feel like she had Alton One too, But I was too focused on Maloney.
Speaker 2: But I could also be making Oh I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't literally, I mean, this video came out six days ago, and today in our inbox we had like six more people sending it to us. Like every day we just are getting like so many people are like, you've seen this right, So it's truly taken the SVU universe by storms.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know. I'll Google the Lizo thing. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Do you think he was naked the whole filming or he had a little pouchop.
Speaker 1: I bet he's wearing mom's little socks because you know what, Like I think it's like you can't just like I don't know. I think on a commercial it could that be considered like harassment of like the people that are around, like to have your just your dick out when it's going to be blurred.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like you cover it up for other people.
Speaker 2: More than for your like for yourself. I don't know. Great question.
Speaker 1: If you worked on the Peloton commercial, we need to know about the cock sock. Please let listen know it would be wagging.
Speaker 2: Is that what you said?
Speaker 3: I was doing so many exercises, like I feel like the blur would be moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any skin makes like a little cock sock. And he was like really tight in there like she.
Speaker 3: Was hanging out with some friends who were shitting on Skim's Hardcore.
Speaker 2: Lisa, don't say that. I just ordered a Skim's body suit yesterday. I hope they're good.
Speaker 3: They just said that they run really small. Everything is so small, because I did read that Chloe was like, no, one's pussy is that tiny.
Speaker 2: Please make it bigger.
Speaker 3: But that's all I thought.
Speaker 2: That was just like for breast.
Speaker 3: But someone that I don't even know who I was with, they were just like they're so tiny.
Speaker 1: I literally just bought it. I just bought like a bodysuit thing because I because I.
Speaker 3: Heard gray things. I I just heard this one negative thing that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm going to start shopping for a dress for my brother's wedding and I might as well have shape wear and blah blah blah. So I just ordered it yesterday. So much of it is sold out, like I'm ordering l XL and a lot of it is like a lot of the colors are sold out, but I.
Speaker 2: Found one, so I'll report back. And you're wearing a black dress or what? Yes, my brother wants is wearing black? That's not bad? Yeah? No, and you would whatever, You're gonna get a jumpsuit? No, no, no, I think I'm gonna wear a dress, okay, yeah, quart or long.
Speaker 3: I've never seen you in a long dress, that don't they.
Speaker 1: I think long is like a black tie thing usually, so I don't. This isn't black tie. So I don't think I'll wear long okay, you know, but I have. I mean I've worn long to black tie.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I hope you don't get injured on the dance floor this time.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't trust anything because my brother and I really like to fucking freak out on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: Wait, what about his fiance?
Speaker 1: Oh he loves he is, Like you know what he does so well, Lisa, He does the duck walk thing.
Speaker 2: Oh ja queens.
Speaker 1: He gets down on his at like on his like heels, and he does it so well.
Speaker 2: My future brother in law Joe. Great.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be a fun fucking wedding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: What I just secured the babysitters so that I can ship those kids off and start breaking my knee again. You know.
Speaker 3: Oh well, the babysitter come to the wedding and like pick them up.
Speaker 2: No, we're going to put them to bed.
Speaker 1: And then it's just like a woman sitting there to like text us, we're all still.
Speaker 2: I thought she's a flower girl. She is, so she'll be at the wedding parper reception.
Speaker 1: We'll put her away, got it, got dancing dinner and all that I think the kids will be gone.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I've been rewatching.
Speaker 3: I watched season nine to lull me to sleep of drag Race yesterday. Also, I finally understand the pain of Canadians and the UK and everyone who's ever had struggles. It took me two hours to get the VPN working. I didn't know what an applicated.
Speaker 2: It was just so much.
Speaker 3: But now and now my question is do I leave the VPN on the whole time consistently or only when I'm trying to watch things from America?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Well, if you pay for it, if you leave it on or something I paid for one month, then Casey is nodding, no, not leave it on. No, he's nodding that you don't pay for it, so you might as well just leave it on, right in case you want to go anywhere, because you might be going to other you might be going to Netflix or other shit that isn't working the same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But and so many Canadian things had season one and then season seven on, but two through six.
Speaker 2: Is not here? Isn't that weird? Like what happened?
Speaker 1: You guys just couldn't negotiate those five seasons like What's happened?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: I had no idea, but I finally like usually, I've been very dismissive of the struggle, and now I understand.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: I'm just here saying I am with you obviously. Okay, so I did I listen. I will tell everyone I have a very very small part of Nope.
Speaker 2: It's very small.
Speaker 1: But wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, you're you're glossing over it. You said Nope so quickly. Nope is the new Jordan Peele movie.
Speaker 2: This is huge.
Speaker 1: This is huge Jordan Curry, starring Daniel Kluya, starring Svu Alum, Kiky Palmer, and featuring That's Messed Up podcast host Lisa Trager. I'm so excited to see it.
Speaker 3: So my hairstylist texted me last night, going, wait, I saw your name in the credits, but she did not see me in the movie at all, so that's kind of funny. But then I did go, okay, so I'll go from the beginning. I since it's such a small part and Universal was being so stingy, I only got tickets to this the cast and cruise screening, and that was very fun. It was a tragic moment that day we found out whatever. It was like a tough day. I think I was too hot, Like I had a good time, my friend was there. Was exciting, but I wasn't really that in it. And then they did secure me one ticket for the premiere alone, no party.
Speaker 2: I got into the party. You're going to get into the party?
Speaker 3: Well, my agent goes, They're only giving you one ticket to the screening, but I'm sure you can talk your way into the party.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even have to try that hard.
Speaker 3: I got someone gave me the ticket and bracelet that didn't care. So I was excited. I got to see it again. It's at the Chinese Theater, so I was really, you know, thrilled. I showed up like hours early because I was so pair like scared. My name was not at the tickets, so I had to keep showing my confirmation email. I'm like, I promise I'm in it. Like it was humiliating. But then they're like just here and they gave me a ticket and I got to go in. I tried to get on the red carpet. They said no, no, no, no no. So I went in and immediately I saw Bill Burr and Bobby Lee and I people I knew, so that was really nice. And then Kalila she was there as well, and I'd never met her. I just know of her, and so she was like, I'm not going to the party. You can take my ticket, and I was like, oh my god, thank you. So I got the bracelet. I sat next to a man who I know is famous because all these there was a girl from Blackish there, like there it was a who'sho Michael B. Jordan, I saw Droe from Insecure?
Speaker 2: Wow, Well where was the party? Oh?
Speaker 3: So the party was at the mother Wolf.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I've been wanting to go there.
Speaker 3: I know it's the hip place. I had a couple things. So at the party, Bobby Lee left immediately. I was like, hey, I'm gonna like stay by you for a little bit. I don't really know anyone here. He left immediately, and but he and so Nick Kroll and I Barenholts were there, and Nick Kroll I couldn't believe he goes you were my favorite part of the movie, and so that was kind of funny. I liked that so much. But you know, I do know little the community and who is in get Out, who plays the tech.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so thank god I knew him.
Speaker 3: I stood by him and his girlfriend for a long time, next to Jordan, next to everyone. So there's like a photo that Lil Rel, Daniel Kulia, and Jordan Peele took together and I was standing right in front of it, and I wish I had the balls to be like, oh, let me hop in, but I did it.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing.
Speaker 3: The little boy from US was at the party and he was so cute. And there's a really little cute boy in Nope that is so cute, and he was like he was at the party and I liked.
Speaker 2: I like the kids.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait to watch it. I'm so glad you got I want to go to that restaurant too.
Speaker 2: I know, well I talked to the bartenders, of course. I was.
Speaker 3: I have not been alone at a party for a while, and I really had to like work out.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it was annoying.
Speaker 1: It's very like I'm I'm not going to be I'm not trying to be like condescending and say hashtag brave, but I do think it's like brave to be at a party alone.
Speaker 2: I truly, if that's me I walk in, I do one loop. I don't see anyone.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm out the front door, like I really just can't. I don't have the I don't have it in me, Like I can't strike up conversations with bartender, like I just I need one person.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: So I know.
Speaker 2: I went, that's cool that you stay.
Speaker 3: Tiffany Hattis was I mean, I knew enough, but yeah, yeah. And then I worked with some people in the scene, but of course they don't remember some me. I'd go up to these actors and be like, hey, I'm the.
Speaker 2: Girl that you know. I'm not gonna ring anything anything. I was like, that was me.
Speaker 3: We were on set and they'd be like, okay, well this is my wife and you need to leave.
Speaker 2: Breeding guys got it.
Speaker 3: But I was alone, just circling. I ran into some people. But you know, knowing little rel is pretty important, you know, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was little relative premiere once too. He's a very very nice person and fun guy to hang out with.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, and I talked about but the bartender told me, if you want to go to mother, well, if you have to make reservations eight days in advance.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I thought you were gonna say months or something. Eight days.
Speaker 3: He's had eight days and he was raving. He's like, I worked with a lot of places. They care well.
Speaker 2: Blah.
Speaker 3: He was the partender, was very into it. They had a drink with like glitter in it and a cloud. There's a lot of whatever. Seeing the movie the second time, I was really grateful for it because it's it's gorgeous, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: The acting is incredible, it's suspenseful, it's funny. It's like it's a great summer fucking horror block back.
Speaker 1: Oh I can't wait. I mean, you know, I see his movies and I'm always like, do I understand that? Like I love I love them, but I'm always they make me think so much.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, wait, now what did this mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean us was like really like, but like you know, I got well, yeah, I'm gonna read.
Speaker 3: There's a few things where I can't wait till the recap, like the analysis come out, because I do have a couple of questions about certain things. But gotcha, not everything is super clear, but the acting is insane. It was just like really cool and the special effects. I bet it's gonna win Oscars, Like it really was cool and it's exciting to have. I took photos of the titles, what is it?
Speaker 2: The credits, but also going to the.
Speaker 3: Cast and cruse screening was really cool because I've never it was cool watching the credits with all the crew and so clapping like it was a high school graduation. And it really takes so many people to make a movie.
Speaker 1: Totally credits blow my mind, like a live movie credits. If you ever see what like sat through animation credits, it's just like multiple teams in multiple countries like doing all this stuff. It's like wild, how many people work on a movie that's so funny that your friend didn't see you? Because Jared, the same thing happened to Jared. He's in the first two minutes of the movie stupor, and he has like one line and his parents were like getting to their seats and they completely missed his hard and they were looking for him like the whole movie and they're like, were you in it?
Speaker 2: Did you get caught out?
Speaker 3: So no, And it's extra special like being on set, like it was one of the greatest moments of my life, Like I just loved doing that it makes you want to do it more and more. But also you know, all the people we interview on this show, Like my favorite part is looking through people's IMDb credits and like seeing these like long cool careers and where everyone started.
Speaker 2: So it just.
Speaker 3: Feels yeah special, it's very cool. You guys see me up top. I'm towards the beginning of the film.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, everybody goes see Nope, everybody goes se nope.
Speaker 5: And I've been keeping this a secret for so long. I know, I filmed this last May or June. Yeah, wait, like a year ago. Yeah, yeah, crazy, And then they filmed all summer. I mean you got, like the amount of work that went into this. I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: They were filming in the desert, like twelve hour days every day all summer long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait. Okay, I'm gonna go see it.
Speaker 3: And Jordan did call me Liza, but it's okay.
Speaker 6: As he hugged me, Hey, you gotta hug It was like the wedding Jordan Peele likes you. I mean I was, yeah, I said, thanks for putting me in your movie, and he goes, oh, Liza, and I went, yes, it's me.
Speaker 2: Eliza Eliza with a z baby.
Speaker 3: It was a who's too And I wanted to go up to Oh the guy from Hacks, the like CEO of debating company, was there and he was dressed great, and I kept wanting to go up to him, and then I didn't.
Speaker 2: But it was exciting. He was loving beautifully.
Speaker 3: But it is when you get to these places, it's just like any other kind of part, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, oh wow, a Hollywood premiere.
Speaker 3: But it is just like, here's like a little mac and cheese and a container.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a bunch of people like standing around in like small groups being like do we know anyone else here?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Should we go? Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I think I texted you this. But I did talk to one of the actresses in the movie and she's like, what are you doing. I'm like, oh, I'm going to Montreal for the Just for Laughs festival. She was I know about Just for Laughs and she learned about it from The Big Sick Khumel and Emily's movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have to tell Emily that that's so funny. I would say most people don't know about Montreal.
Speaker 3: No, you know, the biggest thing of my Oh my god. I talked so one guy who's been a manager for a minute, but I was like, oh, are you going to Montreal? And he goes, I think I've just outgrown it, and it's like, okay.
Speaker 1: It's been on hold for two years.
Speaker 3: It's just people trying to be cool and it's very yeah, silly and annoying.
Speaker 1: Well, we're cool and we have to start our podcast, so let's get our episode going.
Speaker 2: It's another heartwarming episode of Law and.
Speaker 1: Order RESVU and a crime you won't believe. Stay tuned, all right, here we go episode three of season twenty Zero Tolerance, a really heartwarming episode that aired in the middle of the Trump administration in two thousand and I know.
Speaker 3: My favorite was when Kroen went, why are we doing this? Why did we pick this one?
Speaker 1: But I always say that, and then we always end up having a good time with it. Okay, So we open on, which is.
Speaker 3: Just hard because it's it's like it was happening to It's like not to us, obviously we were not, but it's like it is weird when it's a full current of that and you're in it and you're watching it and you're like, it is like it's just a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like when we did the Row episode, Like it's like just yeah, it's a it's a harder slog than than regular crimes against people.
Speaker 2: Yes, someone's good and long and dead. Who cares? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So we open on Rollins in her apartment with her daughter Jesse, living my fantasy of getting a child to eat broccoli.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: She goes, Jesse, eat your brocoli, and Jesse's like okay and just starts eating broccoli.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? What a magic trick.
Speaker 1: She gets a knock at the door and it's doctor al Pollock and he has like the face of an actor, like he has the face of like another like of another actor or something who I've seen my whole life, but it's not this guy. And he just has his face and he is Amanda's on again, off again boyfriend and I in the previous episode we found out that she is pregnant with his child. And in that same episode you see Rollins come back from the bathroom and see and find him giving his number to a waitress.
Speaker 2: So you know, like when he.
Speaker 1: Comes to the door, she's like, I don't want any like pretends he's a traveling salesman, and then a traveling salesman, I'm like a solicitor. My brain is there's there's in death of a salesman. Yeah, I just don't know if that happens anymore, death of anytime.
Speaker 3: Like on Shark Tank, when someone says they sold stuff door to door, Mark Cuban does like a really condescending, fake little clap, like he they love a door to door salesman. They love someone that gets out there and sells and nothing's gonna stop them.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Like if on Shark Tank they.
Speaker 3: Go, I started with only three hundred dollars, no investors, They're like what, Like they love a struggle because they felt like they struggled.
Speaker 2: Sure, wow, I could never do that, like Cutcoast, cutcoa knives could be I was tricked. I thought I got a job, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I just like for my training, got in a van with a man and then we sold little like fake like weird Disney Computer's door to door and it was humiliating and I didn't know how to get out, and then I never went back. But I like was so excited I got a job, and then it was selling things out of a van. Oh no, a weird man, but maybe he's on shirk.
Speaker 1: Ting now who knows, Yeah, little Disney computers.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So so he's there with a bunch of sunflowers and she's like, you were giving your number to a waitress and he's like, I was giving her mother my number because the waitress knew I was a cardiologist. Her mom's having a stint put in and just asked me to call her mom to assure her that it's all routine because she's nervous. And Amanda's like buying it, but she's like, well, then, what's with the apology flowers? And he's like, well, you didn't call me back about going to the Van Go exhibit, so I thought i'd bring Van Go to you.
Speaker 2: And I just don't think he has a trustworthy face.
Speaker 3: No, But also, why would the waitress know you're a heart surgeon?
Speaker 1: Why are you talking to her? Yeah, shady, yeah, a regular lunch spot. I don't know, excuses. And it's like he also previously cheated on her with an escort, so it's like, you know, it's not it's not beyond.
Speaker 2: The realm of possibility that he's full of shit.
Speaker 1: So Amanda buys it, and she does that thing where she goes it's not really a good time. But then she goes back into the apartment and leaves the door wide open, so obviously, come on in. He immediately starts sucking up to Jesse, high fives. He's really laying it on, like the dad routine, pretty thick. He starts reading her a book and like mooing with her, and Amanda's got this look on her face like, Okay, maybe a baby daddy would be nice to not have to do this all on my own. And then we cut to a car service driver just driving through the city in the rain. He pulls up to a guy who's like frantic, going, my daughter is sick, And then he goes and scoops this teen who's wrapped in a sheet off of a stoop, and then they get in the car go to the hospital, and when they get to the er, he fully just pushes this girl out of the car like the car's barely stopped, and then just tells the driver to drive. And the driver's like wait what, and he's like just drive, so very fucked up.
Speaker 2: The car speeds off and we're up the credits.
Speaker 1: Very two different two different evenings happening for people. Rollins is having her broccoli. This girl's getting pushed out of a car. So now at the top of act one, the gorgeous doctor Darby Wilder played by Evanna Kopa's right is giving the rundown to Vincent and Creasy. She's like, yeah, I'll send you guys the security footage. The girl wouldn't let us run a rape kit, but there's obvious signs of sexual trauma. And they go talk to the victim and she does look very rough and Caresee's like, oh, can we talk, and then the girl's like not really responding. So Olivia goes into Olivia mode and is like, hh, you can call me Olivia, and the girls immediately like okay, I'll talk to you. And her name is Delilah. She doesn't remember how she got to the hospital. She took some pills and she said that uncle Luke gave them to her.
Speaker 2: He's not really her uncle. Yeah, Luke's a bad name.
Speaker 1: M there's not a lot of good Luke. Yeah, I can't think of Maybe Luke Perry rest in peace. But Luke's like a gross It's like Trevor, It's like just it's kind of a bad name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna get some messages.
Speaker 1: So she says, she says Uncle Luke would never hurt her, but then sent her. But he did send her on a date with one of his friends. So we're not getting a great picture of Uncle Luke here. And he never makes me go back if I don't want to. He loves me, and it's like, yeah, Pimplert, we got to watch out here. So now we're at SVU and Careese is updating Finn and he's like, yeah, the girl was groomed to keep her mouth shut, and there's nothing on anyone named Uncle Luke popping in the system. What are you putting in an Uncle Luke into the system? I don't understand how that works. But Rollins has the security footage from the hospital now and they watched the whole drop off go down that we've already seen, and then they can't make out the plate, but Finn is like, that's a tea plate. Could be an uber or a car service. Let's send it to Terru to clean it up, even though that's not real. And then next Rollins and Finn are at a garage trying to track down the driver when they get there, the driver's friend immediately bolts and Iced Tea goes Welcome to America in twenty eighteen. Because this is right at the height of the Trump administrations like immigration, terrorism and ice and sanctuary cities and all that, that was like really where they were, you know, cracking down quote unquote on immigration.
Speaker 2: So they asked this.
Speaker 1: Guy about the driver about Delilah, and he tells the whole story. He's like, I thought it was this guy's daughter. I wanted to call the police, but and Finn's like, you're illegal. And the driver's name is Chinia Ewobe and he's like, I've been your ten years.
Speaker 2: I have a wife and kids. You can't send me back. And then he.
Speaker 1: Said, like last week, He's like, I got robbed at gunpoint for six hundred dollars and I was too scared to report it. And this is like a huge reason why one of like these immigration policies from Trump were so damaging. It's like people don't report crimes. People feel emboldened to commit crimes against vulnerable populations like this because they know that they won't call the police. And people also stand by and don't help other people out because of what it could mean for them and their status and their families. So it's really it's more than just like oh no, don't send me. I mean, it's like the they live. They are here and living and working and doing and having lives, and then they're just living in constant fear of like attack.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Finn, the hero goes, listen if that happens to you again.
Speaker 3: Do you remember during this in New York, like delivery drivers were getting reported by like a military base they were delivering to, Like people were reporting the drivers, and so then there was like a no delivery zone and all these people weren't delivering food to like these areas where all these cops lived in military people that were reporting. Oh Jesus, I don't know that. I mean, I hope I'm not telling it wrong. I just remember being like livid. That is super fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they'll go.
Speaker 3: I mean, ICE agents were at the Vivaldi shooting, like they're just like the worst people in the world.
Speaker 2: Know that that's awful.
Speaker 3: Yes, they they show up, we'll talk about it. But they'll show up to any tragedy to like ruin people, or like they'll show up to people's jobs.
Speaker 2: They'll go to home like they are bad people. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Our friend cut out someone from their lives because their husband was an Ice agent. And she was like, I don't want I'm never talking to you again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Gross, yeah, horrible.
Speaker 1: So Finn goes, listen, if this happens to you again, take my card, you call me. You know, Finn helping out people, one person at a time. Finn helps and then he described the driver, describes the dude.
Speaker 2: He's like, he was a white guy, forties, gray hair.
Speaker 1: I picked him up on twenty fifth Street near the high Line, next to a pizza place. He's got a great memory for this ride. I mean he should I think what happened? Yeah, So they walk out and Finn is like on the phone calling Kreese to help him track this guy down, and Rowlins is insulted. She doesn't like being treated with kid gloves when she's pregnant. We know that she basically wants to be like, you know, strapping a bulletproof vest onto her eight month pregnant belly if she could. And Finn's like, well, what if something happens? And Rowlins is like, that's not your problem. Stop treating me like I'm a ride along. It's like all right, and then they're like, well care, she's gonna meet us. There is that Okay, So now it's the three of them at this building a twenty fifth Street, knocking on doors and uh, you know this one woman goes that sounds like the guest in room in four B his name is Vince. I love how she knows an Airbnb guest and like he's probably been there for five days. She's like, his name is Vince, his wife's name is Kathy, he's got four kids.
Speaker 3: Well, you write a little letter sometimes when you want to get into an Airbnb.
Speaker 2: Really you're right while you're staying. Like I remember when I was no, but it's not her apartment. Oh my god, Okay, I was like you're writing ATA.
Speaker 1: I mean I used to be like if anyone could I illegally airbaby be my place in New York constantly when I would go do comedy and like I would just be like, if you see anyone, you're my friend, Like, don't don't tell anyone, this is Airbnb. Like I had a full setup with every and everyone's like everyone knew.
Speaker 2: They were like we know how it is in New York. City, like, don't worry.
Speaker 1: So she knows Vince. He's the guest down the hall. They pushed their way into this. The guy comes to the door, they push their way in, asking them all these questions. He's like, I'm in town for the auto show from Cincinnati, and of course Finn knows exactly the dates of the auto show and he's like that was two days ago. And the guy's like, yeah, I'm on my way to Laguardier right now. He's like the world, I hope he's a better muffler salesman than he is a liar, because he's like horrible at lying. They find a glittery jelly fisherman sandal and this guy.
Speaker 2: Has called fisherman sandal.
Speaker 1: That's a fisherman sandal when it has like the big like woven strap sandal. Yeah, I think so, correct me if I'm wrong. A million dms and he's got excuses, excuses, excuses. He's like, oh, yeah, I went to a movie last night, the new Tom Cruise movie, like the worst liar of all time.
Speaker 3: It's like, did you see Mickey Rourke was like shitting on Tom Cruise on television.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm hitting stuff, but I'm eating the stable. Okay. Mickey Rourke was shitting on Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was on Pierce Morgan being like, fuck Tom Cruise, he's a bad agon.
Speaker 2: I'm a better actor.
Speaker 1: He was just we see Mickey Rourke because he loves SV and just discovered it a year ago.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that. He was just like that fucker doesn't challenge himself. He'sn't playing the same character for twenty years, like Mickey work just had it out for Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: I love it. I hate Tom Cruise. I won't see his movies. So they arrest this guy, not on purpose, but I don't. I've still Mission Impossible one as a child that was a scientology of it all. He's so high up there and it's like there, it's just too it's too. I don't know, should we cut this. I'm so scared of Scientology coming after me. I did a whole I talk about it quietly. Wait, what did we not mention it during the Credo episode? You know?
Speaker 3: I rewatched a Credo and it's like, wow, that was so long ago. We talked to Sebastian like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was pregnant, my kid's a year old. It was a while ago. Yeah, can the listeners tell we were drinking must Yeah, like my episode is swimming in Vonka soda. Okay, Oh we have fun, Yeah we do.
Speaker 2: We have a good time.
Speaker 1: So so they arrest the guy and he's like, oh, is seeing a movie in New York a crime now? And they're like, no, but rape is And then Rollin's does the old oops a daisy and shoves the guy into a door frame on the way out, And this show really does love to flirt with police brutality, you know, just a little just shove a guy's head against a like a banister or something.
Speaker 2: You know, if you rape a child, I'm hitting you on the man.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you push a fourteen year old out of a fucking car. And then on the way out, Coreesy grabs a guy's phone, So now we're in interrogation and he slides the phone across the table and the phone's buzzing and ringing and it's this guy's wife and she will not stop calling.
Speaker 2: And like, I have Jared on find my friends.
Speaker 1: So if I like located him and he was at the sixteenth Precinct in Manhattan, we'd have some problems. So he's like tell us what happened with the fourteen year old girl. We might let you pick up the phone and talk to your family, because now his son's calling to And he's like, okay, fine, I'm sorry. He like fully just folds. The man is so dumb, He says, I'm sorry. I didn't know she was on something when she started zoning out. I took her to the hospital. That was the right thing to do. And then Icedy fucks with this guy so already goes, oh, you brought her to the hospital, You're free to go, and he goes really and starts to get up, and Finn goes, no, asshole, sit down, And I think they get like one asshole a season, you think, So, yeah, they don't say asshole a lot.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see it more.
Speaker 3: No, And I love that he thinks throwing a woman onto the ground is like taking her to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like ignoring the fact that you were having sex with a fourteen year old yeah, and then pushed her.
Speaker 2: Out of a vehicle. Yeah, And yeah, like it's not like you went in and helped her at the paperwork, right right?
Speaker 1: Ugh, So this was the one asshole for season twenty, And I'd love to see more. If you're a writer on the show and you listen, love to hear some more assholes. So anyway, this dumb man who should have lawyered up immediately finally caves that he got Luke's number off of back Page last year at the auto show before they show down back Page, and he just you know, kept that filed in his phone as a guy who gets me teenagers to fuck when I'm in New York, disgusting or to assault. Excuse me, you better call Luke, they tell him and tell him you're hanging on to Delilah for another day and you have a friend who's interested, and then we'll let you talk to your wife. So now we're in Brooklyn and we're midstaying Operation. Finn's hanging out on the sidewalk looking fully like a cop, just like a man on the street with like his arms at his sides, waiting to do a deal, and Live and Cares are in the car stakeout style and Careese's like, so what's going on with Rollins and Lives? Like, if you want to know something about Rollins, maybe you should ask Rowlins. And he's like, she's pregnant, isn't she like everyone on this show can sniff out when people are pregnant and lives like caresy, in what world am I going to gossip with you about this? Like why who do you think you're talking to right now? So then that conversation kind of tape peters off, and then the guy shows up to talk to Finn, and Finn give him a lot of cash and says this is for me and this is the extra for Vince. And the guy's like all right and brings them upstairs and he's like, you're gonna like what you see upstairs is kind of like a dirty loft with bunk beds and pink lighting, and there's a bunch of teen girls hanging out. And the girls like line up to like present themselves to Finn, and they are so young, like great job to the costume department. Also they're in like overalls and cut off shorts, like they just look like kids right like, And Finn sees a little girl, then an even littler girl like behind fencing, like I can't say she's in a cage, but she's like behind fence, like fenced wire, and she's much younger, like I thought maybe she was ten and He's like, what about her? And the guy goes, She's not on the menu just yet. Ew, and he's like, I got more over here he's gathering more girls together, and then Finn goes, so I can just pick one and do whatever, and the guy goes, well within reason, like don't mess up my investment. That wouldn't be cool. And then he goes, so you seem like a guy with great taste. Have you made your decision yet? And Finn goes, I have and pulls out his badge and goes, you're under rest. Then this dumb ass guy like tries to make a run for it. Olivia flies out a fucking nowhere. Should I say her stunt double? This is not this is not Marishka Hargate's body like it just like I could just tell the way this person is moving that it's not her. And she just flies out of nowhere, tackles this guy's ass right to the ground, and then they go live and Mauricia Argatay's face turns around. It's it's a great it's a great moment for me. If this was a live show, I would be showing a clip. Finn calls attention to the younger girl, and Live goes to check it out, and this poor little girl is so scared. She's like speaking Spanish and she's saying, please, don't hurt me, and Olivia goes, no, I'm with the police, and she does say puliticia, which is Italian. But let's give by lingual Benson a break here, and she says, don't take me and the little girl and she like looks very terrified. So that's the end of act one, and we've got this terrified little baby at the precinct. Stone walks in and we see like Cariese's asking this team like why do you run away from home?
Speaker 2: And she's like cause my parents freaking hate me.
Speaker 4: Duh.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, okay, I don't know you like being with Uncle Luke a lot better. Finn's talking to another girl about how she met Luke at the bus station and he bought her McDonald's and cool shoes, so we're kind of getting an idea of like how he's gathered all these girls like I found them like in different places, and Stone's like they're so young, and it's like, yes, Stone, it's your second season on SVU. You don't know that, like you know people assault teens on a daily basis. It's an epidemic. And liv is giving him the rundown. She's like, yeah, these girls are either from abusive homes or one was living with.
Speaker 2: Her quote unquote her demented grandmother.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, way harsh, Marishika. And he basically found them all on the street in parks. He took one off of a playground, so it's not it's not great. And they stay with him because they think they're contributing to the household. So he's got some kind of hold over them, like brainwashing style. And you know what, a lot of the pimps do it like I love you, I take care of you, blah blah blah. And there's just one who's terrified, and it's the little girl that we found behind the fencing, and Rollins is offering her water, asking her name, and she's just completely icing this bitch out like the little girl will not talk to Rollins. And the next thing we see are Stone and Creasy bursting into interrogation to really give it to Uncle Luke. And this man is a very cocky child trafficker, like many of them tend to be on this show. He acts like he acts like he runs like a house for underprivileged youth. He's like, I just take them in and I'm selling their company, not sex. And he says the girls love him and he loves the girls and we've heard this song song many times before. And he said they could have left any time they wanted. And Chrisy's like, well, you brainwash them, and what about this little one and he goes, oh, my little Gabriella. He says he rescued her from poort authority. She was just wandering around like you know, lost, and Stone's like, you're never going to touch another girl. I'm going to see to it. He goes blah blah blah. And then the lawyers up, so yeah, this man is definitely going to jail and acts like he's very gen shaw until recent news. Stone's like, have fun with your lawyer. It's not going to matter. So that's the end of Uncle Luke in an office. Now, Rollins is once again trying to talk to Gabriella, and this time she's talking and she says her last name is Sosa.
Speaker 2: She says she took a bus to New York.
Speaker 1: City and they're like, oh, was your family being mean to you, were they were they hurting you? And she's like, no, no one was hurting me. And then she says, I want my mommy and starts crying. It's really sad. And then the gang has gathered all around for an update and the other girls from that they founded Uncle Luke's are either headed to acs placements or home back to their parents, and now Gabriella is the sole focus, and Olivia does say, let's put her through Nickmick, which I know that on another episode. I did not know what that means, and many, many many have you messaged me, and it is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. I didn't understand what she was saying last time, and now I know, Thank you all for letting me know.
Speaker 2: And so they get a hit.
Speaker 1: They put her right in there, and they get a hit, and there's a missing person alert for her from Elizabeth, New Jersey. And it wasn't her parents who reported her missing, it was the New Jersey Department of Children and Families, so she was in foster care. The plot thickens, so now we've got Rollin's in New Jersey with Careesy and CARESI is desperate for the tea. He starts telling Rollins about his cousin Nikki being pregnant with her fifth kid, and he's like, all right, Rollin's she's not budging, like you can tell on her face that she's like he knows or whatever, but she's not giving it up. And then he's like, just like, fine, Rollins, why didn't you tell me she's mad? And she's like, tell you what, And then finally she goes, I tried to. I didn't know how. Just don't ask me a lot of questions right now. And then she goes and don't go all Catholic on me. Okay, it's very that you just don't need that. So I guess now he knows. Now he knows she's pregnant, and I don't know, he's probably heartbroken inside because you know, he is in love with her. And that the parents of the foster parents come rushing out and it's Kelly and Allan Welbeck and they say that they were they've been waiting for weeks for news about Gabriella and they're like, how did she get to New York City?
Speaker 2: You guys like you were supposed to keep her safe?
Speaker 1: And the parents were like, we did the best we could, but she's very distrustful of Americans. We quickly find out that Gabriella was sent to them from the border, where the government had separated her from her mother. So awful and timely in twenty eighteen, and today it's just like so barbarous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when people say cruelty is the point, it's like who even came up with that?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's separated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's really it's Nazi shit, Yeah, it's it's it's wild.
Speaker 1: And this episode, I think does a good job of showing you. Now we're in back in New York and the foster parents are going into Live's office and giving her all the info. They're like, they were picked up by the border in June her and her mother. The mother was arrested for unlawful entry, and the border agent grabbed Gabriella out of her mother's arms, and Live goes, that's insane, and I was like, yeah, just that, there's no other words. It's insane, Like it's hard to like actually believe that it's happening. And I think that's insane is a great sum up of that cluster. Fuck, she's seen it all yeah, yeah, it's hard to surprise Olivia Benson. And so the mom is being held in Texas and the Welbecks registered as a temporary foster family when they heard about the situation.
Speaker 2: I thought about doing that. I don't.
Speaker 1: I have to get like fully vetted and all that, and I don't. I don't think I would have. I might not have passed, but I was thinking, you're.
Speaker 3: Also giving the government way more credit than they deserve. That's true, we will learn later in this episode, but they do not. Actually, Oh god, I do really good background checks.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, great, can't wait.
Speaker 1: Benson tells the parents that she really admires them for taking that on and that's why I would do it, just so that Olivia Benson would tell me that she's proud of me. They tell Benson how Gabriella wouldn't even look at them for the first few days.
Speaker 2: She would just sit on the floor and cry for her mom.
Speaker 1: And they finally got her to eat, got her to play with their little boys a little bit, and then they tried to get her on the phone with her mom, but they like couldn't locate her, and then it was always like busy.
Speaker 2: The line was busy, so it was like, you know.
Speaker 1: True to form, everything that you've heard, it's a cluster fuck, like they've lost half some of these kids. They don't know who's connected to who, and they can't get them even on the phone with each other. So she, uh, Gabriella asked one of their sons, how do you get to Texas? And he told her you take a plane from New York City, but they didn't actually think she was gonna go do that. So Finn and Rollins are now with Gabriella asking her her favorite ice cream and we find out Finn's is salted caramel chocolate chip. I didn't know existed, but go off and he tells Rollins his bodega orders its special for him, which is funny, and that's cute.
Speaker 2: It seems cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gabriella opens up a little. She says her foster parents were nice, but she missed her mom.
Speaker 3: And because I don't think Finn grocery shops, No, he's a bodega meal guy, yeah for sure, for sure and take out.
Speaker 1: And they're just Gabriella is like, why did they take my mom? Like she doesn't understand why she's been separated from my mother because it's crazy. And Amanda's like, well, when she crossed the border, she broke the laws of our country.
Speaker 2: And then she's like, but what did I do?
Speaker 1: And that's so sad, and Rollins is just like, honey, you did nothing wrong. And now Live Rollins and Finn are talking about what to do. They can't send her back to foster parents because she'll just run away again, and Live says, we got to call the Office of Refugee Resettlement and let them know that she's with us, and Finn says, well, they're just going to send her to a tender age center. I hate that tender reminds me of like a tenderoni and that Michael Jackson song. Anyway, Rollins goes, I'll take her. It's like you're the queen of doing too much, like you truly have a child and another one on the way, and you're like, I'll just take her. I'm a cop, I work twenty hours a day, but I can do this. And Live's like, girl, you can't do that, and Rollins says like, well, you took Noah, and she's like this is really different. And now we find out that this is connected to Rollin's guilt about Ester Labot from the Book of esther episode, she's like, remember what happened the last time we let a girl walk out of here? And very different situations, Rolands, you actually killed Uster Labat with your gun. But so I but I can see how she's, you know, feels very guilty about that and is trying to, like, you know, karmically, karmically balance the scales a little bit, and Careese busts in to let them know that.
Speaker 2: They track down the mom's lawyer.
Speaker 1: She's at a federal detention center in Texas, and he's on his way there and he can set up a video call with Maria and Gabriella.
Speaker 2: The mother's name is Maria, so exciting.
Speaker 1: So on the video she's telling them about how she left Guatemala because her neighbor was like, take it out into the street by Lamara, which is a gang for witnessing a murder, Like this guy witnessed a murder, so they brought him out into the street and they killed him. And so she's like, I got some money from my family and I had a coyote take us to Mexico, but then this guy just left us at the border and we had to cross alone, and it's like, it's so fucking sad. This actress is great, Like when she's telling us, she's like, I was like getting emotional. It was really sad. And then the lawyer explains, he's like, I'm trying to get her asylum, but it could be months or years before it's all adjudicated. And you know at the government at that time and maybe now you'll tell me more later, but like they I don't think they think that kind of thing is like enough, like, oh, there's gangs, there's gangs everywhere, you know, deal with it. But it's like it's a it's living a life in terror that these people are trying to escape. So until then she just has to stay in jail and this could take, like, as I was saying, months or years that she'll be separated from her daughter and in jail waiting to see if she can even stay. And they let her talk to her mom and she goes, Mommy, it's me in Spanish, and I'm like crying, and then they're both just crying and saying I love you, and then like they've been on the phone for five full seconds and a guard comes in and is like, yeah, shut it down, shut it down, terminate the call. And so I don't know what's going on, but she only got to talk to her mom for like a second, and then the call goes dead and then Gabriella hugs Rollin's She's very devastated. It's like so sad, and we cut to Rollin. Now, this is an abrupt cut to me from like this little girl like not being able to talk to her mom on a FaceTime and suddenly Rollins is at this fancy restaurant eating with her boyfriend, her doctor boyfriend, and telling him all about Gabriella, and cares is watching.
Speaker 2: Watching the baby. That's what I wrote.
Speaker 1: Cariese is watching her, and I was like, Carisee's watching her. No, Cariese's watching Gabriella and the feds are picking her up tomorrow and like he's like wow, and she's like ten years old, and Rollin says yeah, and he's like, I don't even know how you guys do it, and she says, well, speaking of you're good with kids the other night, like and he's like, oh, yeah, I love kids, like I almost did Peedes, but like I'm in too much debt, so I went with heart surgeon. I guess that's what he is, a heart surgeon, because he says he went into the o R.
Speaker 2: Then the Shabblee shows up.
Speaker 1: There's a bottle of shablee and he's like, I remember you saying you like this, and then he toasts his second chances and he goes or third if we're keeping score, and it's like, did.
Speaker 2: You fuck up a second time or not? Like what's going on?
Speaker 1: And Amanda does not lift a glass for the toast, and he doesn't get it, and then she's like, I'm pregnant, and he's shocked for like a second and then immediately remembers a time that they raw dogged it on the fourth of July.
Speaker 2: I guess, And so you know, I think he knows how babies happen.
Speaker 1: And he immediately offers to take her for an abortion and pay for it and if that's what she wants to do, Like he barely takes a breath and he's like, so, I mean, I can google a clinic right now. Like he's really does not want to have it, and it's in theory, that's a nice offer from a partner, like you would want someone to you know, be supportive of your decision. But he jumps to it very quickly, and Amanda's kind of taken aback by how fast he jumps to like just termination, and it's very awkward. So he just starts chugging SHABBLEI and Amanda looks annoyed, and that's how we leave this scene. So I don't think it's I think she wanted a little bit more like, Wow, we're gonna have a family, and he was like, uh, there's a plan parent around the corner. I think we could make it before they close. So at the precinct, Finn asks Careese how the babysitting is going, and Cariese goes, well, I played nineteen games of checkers and I learn green eggs and ham in Spanish. And then Finn goes, no me gusta, los suevos verde and it is it is no me gusta, but I will let Finn have this one. And then in walks friend of the pod, Andy Powers, a buddy that we talked to from season four episode called Vulnerable that we covered and now he is back sixteen seasons later playing Jeff Phelps. We talked to him a little bit about this role too, if you want to go back and revisit the interview.
Speaker 2: Well, my favorite thing he.
Speaker 3: Told us about little baby Gabrielle Sosa is that she loved the pizza. That she could not get enough of the pizza.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It was really I forgot.
Speaker 3: And if you don't remember Andy Powers, he told an amazing story of thinking on Oz that he got jerked off on by Maloney, but Maloney just spit on him. So that was a fun story for us.
Speaker 2: Really all should go back and listen to the Andy Power. Andy Powers made an impression. Yeah, it was great. He was great.
Speaker 1: So he is playing Jeff Phelps from the Office of Refugee Resettlement and he's there for Gabriella and Benson's like, let me see the paperwork. And he tells her that Gabrielle is going to go to Fort Sterling and Benson's like, oh, behind razor wire and he's like, no, ma'am. It's a dorm like setting with other miners. It's like summer camp. And it's like, bitch, get summer camp out of your mouth. You don't know what summer camp is like. If you think that's it, And they bring out Gabriella and he and she sees Phelps and gets really really upset immediately and says, don't take me again. And Rollins is like, what do you mean again? And she says, that's the man who took me away from her mother. So it's like the like, the idea that the person that already took it from your mother like now in Texas has now shown up in New York to take you away like again, is so yeah.
Speaker 3: And the last time she got taken out she ended up in a cage. Yeah, yeah, it's so horrible. Rollins and Liver incredulous. They're like, is this true?
Speaker 1: And He's like, I was at the border when Maria was processed, and I escorted Gabriella and other miners to the foster agency here in New York City.
Speaker 2: That was the policy.
Speaker 1: And Live makes a huge move and tells Finn and Careesy to arrest Phelps and put him in a holding cell.
Speaker 3: I keep imagining Michael Phelps, it's really hard not to, or Fred Felps.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Fred Phelps is.
Speaker 1: They're the people that say God hates f words and like they're like the anti gay Fred Leftsboro Baptist Church exactly. Yes, No, Michael Phelps, Yeah, Phelps's Yeah, Michael Phelps has a he loves to swim, he loves to smoke weed, he loves therapy. He's a friend, he's a friend of the body. I just think he has a weird face anyway. I'm not I'm not, I'm not. I'm not trying to shame anyone's looks. There's just something about the proportions of his face.
Speaker 3: You know, his underjaw is bigger than his like he is a freak of nature. And his arm spans longer than his body. You know, he's like built weird to swim. Yeah, he's built to sweatch.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he get to eat like six thousand calories a day or something?
Speaker 3: He's swimming at that level an him. Yeah, but those are my favorite stories. There's like a pitcher who like every day had three big macs. Like I just love the athletes that only eat candy and Coca cola.
Speaker 2: Living the dream.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you are those stories of people just being blackout drunk, pitching no hitters and being like, I don't even remember it.
Speaker 2: Sports used to be fun. Now they're all, you know, testing for dope.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's so boring.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, that is so funny, Okay, so so fuck.
Speaker 1: Olivia's arresting this guy from the refugee Resettlement center who's like, A, he's a federal agent, I guess, and putting him in a holding cell, and she says, you're being arrested for second degree kidnapping, for abducting a minor and transporting her to New York City against her will, which is a class B felony in this state. And then Olivia goes give them a phone call and a baloney sandwich.
Speaker 2: Baloney sandwiches get a bad rap. I like it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know they gave you a boloney sandwich and holding I've never seen them give a bloney sandwich to another person.
Speaker 3: That's a I had a sandwich in jail. I had a burger. I had some cookies. They let us microwave our cookies so they melted a little.
Speaker 2: WHOA, yeah, that's curious.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I had fun in jail.
Speaker 3: I mean, as a sociology major, I feel like I learned a lot. I made some friends and yeah, I read a book. I watched The Simpsons.
Speaker 1: I like I loved I can't they let you do all that can if you had access to a microwave and a television like what books and books? Yeah, the white girls played games upstairs and the black girls watched the Simpsons downstairs.
Speaker 2: So you were down there. Yes, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. I had to play cards with a bunch of method take me to the familiar, let me have my cookie, and then everyone got mad at me because I did let the door slam hard once, and they're like this fuck, and I'm like, okay, I'm learning your roles and I'm gone tomorrow, so let's relax.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you never got on Orange as a new Black with all this experience.
Speaker 3: I actually did a full blown audition in Russian for Orange. I know, I really try. I've probably I tried to be what the Nazi I mean I did. I sent in a lot of auditions for Orange.
Speaker 1: I would have loved you to have been involved with Red somehow speaking Russian.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to be a part of that show in any capacity, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a it's it's funny, it's like it and you know, I have.
Speaker 3: A messy what is it desktop, and it's all videos of my face in different outfits, trying to be different people. It's sick. It's a sick life. I sent one in for a brew master this week. It's like, what's brew master? Like a girl who makes like beers?
Speaker 1: Oh hip for that hip girl with her own brewery signed at the brewery.
Speaker 3: I could see it. I could absolutely see it. Whatever am I bragging about my auditions?
Speaker 2: I don't get but I would have loved to be an orang.
Speaker 1: Okay, So top of act for and Olivia has just I mean it was like she had this pre planned almost because she came up with it so quickly, this plan to arrest the guy.
Speaker 2: And now at the top of acpour, she.
Speaker 3: She's a survivor, she's passionate, and when she wants to do something, she's gonna do. Yeah, she knew what was she She knew arresting him was fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, completely, And then she's surrounded by a press conference. Like suddenly there's a press conference in the squadroom which I've never seen, and Benson calls they come. Yeah, She's probably called Jimmy Mack and was like, call all your old buddies and get him over here. And uh, she's making this is clearly a political move, and she's explaining that they've arrested the officer, she's got the press. Everyone's like, you know, everyone's paying attention, and she also says she also says, Gabrielle is nine. Everyone's been saying ten the whole episode, but it's nine now, so okay, we've aged her down.
Speaker 2: She's nine years old. And she says.
Speaker 1: They're like, how do you think the federal government is going to react? And she's like, I don't really care. This is the crime in New York. And then one guy goes, do you really think this affects the life of the safety of everyday New Yorkers? And she's just like, well, I did find this nine year old girl in a sex trafficking ring, so I think I'm doing my job. And she is like fully traumatized, like a bunch of all the other children we found. And then she ends the conference and has to go talk to Stone in her office and it is like getting called into like you know, your dad, to get yelled at by your dad, And Stone's pissed and.
Speaker 2: He's like, what's the next move?
Speaker 1: Here live and she's like, dude, I was just doing this to make a point and the media is running with it. Everyone's paying attention now, and he says, well, I don't prosecute cases to make points, and she goes, well, then I will find someone who will. I don't know you could just find another Ada, but I guess you can. And then Olivia goes, didn't you say that the only war's worth fighting for are the ones you can't win, And just then Stone is saved by the bitch when this mean looking lady comes walking in and she's like Kim Caldwell from the US Department of Justice with a rid of Haby Corpus, demanding the release of Phelps. And then she goes see you in court at four pm, Lieutenant, like she's very bitchy, and then liv asks to Stone, she goes, are you in and then she goes, let me show you what you're fighting for. So she brings Stone in to meet Gabriella. She's like, hi, mister Peter. It's like very cute, and she shows him a picture that she drew of her house in Guatemala and lives like, do you get it now, like to Stone, and then she says, there's three thousand more gabriellas if.
Speaker 2: You have to walk away from this.
Speaker 1: I get that, but I'm not going to I can so in court, Stone is arguing the definition of kidnapping. Okay, He's like, it's depriving someone of freedom by holding them against their will. And the lawyer argues that the government does this to millions of prisoners every day.
Speaker 2: It's like, sick brag, you evil bitch.
Speaker 1: Millions of prisoners every day have their freedom to brive. And then Stone argues that Gabriella was not a prisoner. She was a nine year old girl who did nothing wrong. And then the bitchy bitch argues that she did cross the border illegally and that they cannot be together, and Stone's like, no, we cannot incarcerate them together. They can be kept together. And it is against the law in New York to bring this girl here against her will, and she says The woman argues, but it was under the color of federal law, and Stone argues, it's not a law, it's a DOJ policy called zero tolerance. So Stone is correct here. Yeah, well, I can't wait to hear more about this. But and the judge says, yes, but it's clear that officer phelps your detect.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you call this guy. Refugee man Phelps.
Speaker 1: Was acting in good faith and he says, Stone goes yeah, but that doesn't relieve him of his criminal liability. And then the Fox News lawyer is like, remember that the federal law, Trump's state law. If you guys can all remember the Constitution, and then Olivia stands up, full out of order outbursts like I've never seen Olivia do this, and she's been in court during some wild proclamations and she just stands up and goes.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here?
Speaker 1: The government ripped this girl from her mother's arms, Like someone needs to stop this truly. The voice of the nation Olivia Benson and Stone is like, Olivia, chill out, and Cariese's trying to calm her down. And then we cut out of there to Rollins with Gabrielle at the precinct and she asks Rollins do you have a baby.
Speaker 2: And Rollins goes, yeah, she's three. Her name is Jesse.
Speaker 1: And then Gabriella, going full Gregory Yates goes, Noah, baby in there, and it's like, how do you even know she's three months pregnant?
Speaker 2: You really can't tell?
Speaker 1: She does immediately when she gets pregnant, Rollins like stop tucking her shirts in.
Speaker 2: Everything's just a blousy blouse. But I wonder maybe that's coincides with her real pregnancies.
Speaker 1: It does, Oh okay, yeah, but it just funny to me that the girl like noticed. I mean, I feel like Rosie didn't notice I was pregnant. I was like at nine months.
Speaker 2: I think Gabriella might have a little gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or she's a serial killer like Gregory Yates who can smell pregnancy. Anyway, Amanda admits yes, and she lets Gabriella put her hand on her belly, and she's like, do you want a boy or a girl? It's a sweet little car and she's like, when I see my mom, I'm gonna tell her I want a little brother. And it's like really, it's really like just heartbreaking that she can't talk to her mom. So back in federal court, the judge is like, listen, my job is to judge the arrest, not the US immigration policy. The separation of this woman, this child, and her mother is disturbing and ill advised, but immigration law overrides.
Speaker 2: The state law.
Speaker 1: So he is to be released, and Benson is pissed, and she says to Stone, while we lost the battle, but maybe we'll.
Speaker 2: Win the war. And then you know, now.
Speaker 1: Live in Stone and Phelps interrupt Gabriella and Rollins having a little pizza party and she starts crying and she's begging not to go with him again, and Olivia goes, you need to be strong, and she goes, please don't forget me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's like so sad, and and they Olivia just keeps saying fuerte, fuerte, like be strong, and she takes and he takes her away, and everyone is like pretty gutted. It's like sad, but there's still six minutes left of the episode, so I'm kind of like, what else is going to happen? So now Stone is having a drink at one of those like wood and leather bars, you know, like old school fancy bars where people drink brown liquor out of like crystal, and they're in Chicago actually with State's Attorney Mark Jeffries, and he is this is played by Carlweathers. Mark Jeffries is played by Carlweathers, and he's also from Chicago.
Speaker 2: Justice don't know if that exists anymore. Or what. But he was also Apollo Creed in the Rocky Movies.
Speaker 1: I knew I recognized Carl Weather from something, but he's Apollo Creed from the Rocky Movies. And he's like, so, how's SVU, how's the Big City? And then he's like, what the hell do you want? You didn't just come here to have a drink with me? And he wants to this guy's help in reuniting Gabriella with her mom. And he's not trying to make a policy. He just wants to help this one kid. And the guy goes, is it going to make a difference? And then Stone tells literally that starfish story. Have you ever heard that starfish story? That's like it's like a parable or like a little the kind of thing that's on like.
Speaker 3: A magazone is a human version of an Instagram quote. He's just always has some sort of story that no one cares about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this this starfish, but I do love little turtles. But it's the same story with the starfish. He just changes it to turtles and acts like it happened to his family home in Rhode Island, and it's like that's a famous Like that's like a like a famous parable or like what do you call My friend.
Speaker 3: Was lucky enough to be on mushrooms as he noticed little turtles going towards the ocean and he got to help them.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah, if he wasn't on mushrooms, you would have just kept walking. No, but it probably felt more special. His heart was more open, magical. Yeah, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: So that's what he says, basically, like, you know, it's made a difference to that one. You know, when you throw the turtle or you throw the fish. The starfish back in, so he says, the guy says, he'll.
Speaker 2: See what he can do.
Speaker 3: So now, also, Carl weathers, so you have like sympathy for the starfish, but not this kid, Like, I don't know why you need an additional story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like could be like can we just reunite this kid? You fucking say.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So at the precinct, Carsey wants a beer, but Finn has to babysit his grandson, and she's like, what about you.
Speaker 2: Roland's non alcoholic, and she's like, what's the point.
Speaker 1: She's like, what's the point having a drink if I can't get hammered? And she's like, I need something stronger after all the bullshit I've been through like today, and Cariese says, everyone wants who wants to come to this country to live the American dream should be allowed to do that, and then Finn plays real right wing. Finn's like, I don't know her neighbor getting shot, it's not really enough. And then Rollins is like, dude, if she took out a coyote take her through Guatemala to the Mexican border, she must have been really scared for her life and her daughter's life, And Finn's like, yeah, well, who takes care of them once they get here. He's like I don't like child separation either, but immigration is a problem, and Carsee's like, I think immigrants can take care of themselves. My great grandfather came here from Tarino at the age of twelve, and my family is from Tarno. Do you think me and carisia related? Yeah, sure, it's possibility. That's why I don't want to have sex with him, because I can tell we're related. Finn is, yeah, being super Republican, and he's like, I bet your granddad didn't have food stamps and public housing and medicaid and it's like, dude, read an article, this is like not true. And then Rollin says, well, Rollins does use the phrase these people, and I don't like it, but she says, quote, these people get jobs, and there are jobs Americans don't want, so she this sentiment is like, you know that, I think Finn is misguided, that they're sort of taking over are like the a population of US citizens or something in terms of find like financial you know, or unemployment, and Carreese goes, give me, you're tired, you're poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. Remember that, and then Finn goes, my people came to this country and changed three hundred years ago, and I still can't breathe free, And Rollins and Creesy are both kind of like, well, okay, we can't really response that. I don't really know what the correlation is.
Speaker 3: Why are we helping these immigrants if we're not even helping me and my people and we're here getting discriminated against and fucked over and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh so is that do you think that's behind a lot of it? Wow? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like black people get treated like shit here all the time, and yet you care about all these like people trying to come here, but we have our own problems.
Speaker 2: But he should more have the point of view of all vulnerable people need to be taking care. Who's making it horrible? Like, you know, it's it's the class.
Speaker 3: It's like, right now, they're you know, they're going hard for trans people, but it's just to test the waters and then guess what it's going to be you yeah, you know, like it's it is crazy that we don't want Like there's a quote where it's like you're only as strong as your weakest teammate, and you've got to help the most vulnerable and bring everyone up so we're all together.
Speaker 2: You're not like, fuck those people. I care about my people. It's like, right, all the people lifts all ships.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, and then if we all got together, we can you know, like Sri Lanka run into the President's pool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was a good January sixth right, yeah, Okay, so we're almost to the end here. So now we're at the doctor's office, and you think Amanda might be like at the obgy n or something, but then Al walks out her boyfriend and we realize we're at his office. And she tells him listen, I'm having this baby. I don't need anything from you. And then she walks out and he does not even not even a tiny movement to go after her at all.
Speaker 2: So this is like, you think it's the end of their relationship.
Speaker 1: He's back a little bit later, but you know, he's like, well, I guess she wants that baby. And then at Fort Sterling in Brooklyn. I didn't realize Fort Sterling would be in Brooklyn. I thought for sure he was taking her to another state or something. But they're in Fort Sterling in Brooklyn. Live rolls up in an suv and asks to see Gabriella Sosa and the army guy at the door is like, yeah, those visits aren't authorized. Carl Weathers is in the car with her, gets out of the car, starts crossing over to this military guy, which, by the way, I feel like, without identifying yourself, that guy would have just like shot him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He just gets out of the car and starts.
Speaker 1: Walking to him, yelling and being like, get your CEO down here right now. I didn't hunt through the mountains of quand Tree for I couldn't. IM Sorry, I couldn't really hear what he was saying for three years to have some babyface, MP, tell me what's authorized, and it's like, okay, there's that old Rocky Rocky monologue and he starts babbling and the literally the soldiers like and then he's like, okay, fine, just let him in. And then he gets back in the car. I guess that he goes, that was fun, and Livy looks impressed. And then right as the car pulls away, we see that Maria, the mom of Gabriella, is in the back of the suv and she looks a little bit like nervous. Inside of Fort Sterling, it's just like a huge gym with kids like sitting around on mattresses, wearing like those crinkly blankets you get when you run a marathon, and Live goes, I can't believe what I'm seeing, and it's like it really just it's like what are they doing. They're just sitting there like wasting away. They're just sitting on mattresses, staring into space. Gabriella and sees her mom and goes to reunite her, goes to reunite with her, and I'm really glad they did it, but I wish they could have just brought her into another room and not do it in front of all these other kids that don't get to see their parents.
Speaker 2: It's like too sad. And we find out that whatever.
Speaker 1: We find out that Carl Weather's pulled some strings because he works out at the same gym with a judge who made it happen. And anyway, this kind of fairy tale ending does not happen all the time. It's like, it's like when you this is a horrible comparison, But whenever I hear somebody getting their Instagram hacked, the only people I ever hear getting it back are people who.
Speaker 2: Have an inn at Facebook or Instagram.
Speaker 1: Like there's no way to get anything done if you don't know someone who works at these corporate Placett's also not even just it's like truly life. Yeah, it's yeah, you got to know people, like it's connections is everything. But of course social media. Instagram is my perfect example.
Speaker 3: Because it's a name we're thinking about getting hacked is not good. Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to happen to two factor authentication anyway. Maria says, thank you so much, and Olivia says welcome to America as they walk away from dozens and dozens of girls in cages with like their faces pressed up, like where's my mom, where's my dad? It's fucking terrifying and horrible. And that is dick Wolf Baby.
Speaker 2: That was great, Kara.
Speaker 3: Listen to our commercials, bitches, be right back, see you soon.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So, you know, it's hard to do current event type things because the news is ongoing. I'm folding, and a lot of the articles are like concerns, like their political spin, you know, they're trying to like prove something.
Speaker 2: So it was kind of an adventure.
Speaker 3: But we're going to go through the Trump family separation policy, the zero tolerance, and then.
Speaker 1: When you read that, it's like, oh, the Trump family separation, like separating all the Trump family from each other.
Speaker 2: That would be great. Let's do that them all away from each other.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to talk specifically about Southwest Key facilities abuse and that's what we felt was like the closest to what was happening. But I feel like there was abuse in trafficking so much everywhere constantly.
Speaker 2: It was like I so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the Trump family separation policy, not the one we want simply put, it's a policy calling for criminal prosecution of everyone who enters the country illegally. So, I don't know if you remember Jeff's sessions, he's like a little gremlin, a little jockey gremlin. He and quote said, if you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you.
Speaker 2: It's that simple.
Speaker 3: If you're smuggling a child, then we're going to prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you. If you don't want your child separated, they don't bring them across the border illegally. And that's just a quote that he did at a press conference, like these people are truly deranged, evil, fucking assholes.
Speaker 2: That was in the New York Times.
Speaker 3: And then this policy is different than the former Bush and Obama administrations, where separating kids from parents during those times was an exception, not the rule, and Trump made it the rule. Yeah, And this obsession with the Southwest border and these like specific rules started with Bush though he launched operations Streamline along the Texas border, and it called to criminally prosecute all migrants to get control of the border and be safer to citizens. And Trump used this model for his policy and yeah, fuck Bush. And this whole thing of people liking him because he paints is so frustrating to me.
Speaker 2: He's a fucking war criminal. He's a piece of shit.
Speaker 3: And I heard this recently, like we don't blame him enough for this like explosion of christian like in the government, Like he was just praying all the time and a true fucking fool.
Speaker 2: And I don't think we talk enough shit about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah we're like, wow, we painted a dog and loves Michelle Obama and that was that, Like this piece of shit he made ice, Like what are we talking? Yeah, fucking hate him and he shouldn't have won. I just feel if al Gore one our polar bears would have some ice, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'd have the right kind of ice. We're good, Okay.
Speaker 3: So basically people that crossed the border were put straight through the criminal system, not through civil immigration courts, and so that's what was the change. Instead of just like we're going to civil court, it was full criminal and then hello, private prison contracts. That's one of the things that's I think is most twisted about America. There's so many but like the business is the most deranged sick thing, and I think Orange is the New Black.
Speaker 2: Really covers as well.
Speaker 3: Whatever it did, however at that time make exceptions for adults traveling with children, but their goal was to prosecute fast and then deport people back as fast as possible. But until they're hearing, they're held in these private detention centers, and that's like money making. And then in twenty fourteen, Obama declared a humanitarian crisis and all these issues at the border with unaccompanied children, mostly from Central America, coming to town, and his administration also focused on deporting people fast, and some were put through criminal proceedings, but it did choose to hold families together in not criminal holdings, but an administrative detention, and they would set up these makeshift overflow facilities. And that's something too, because I think we all love Obama, but it's like a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Was during his time, and so that's that's just a fact.
Speaker 3: And then Trump claims that he's just following policy and he's just doing what's written and he's not doing anything new, which is not fully true. Historically, the US treated immigration violations, like I said, as civil rather than criminal, and parents have not typically been separated from their children when they entered the legal system. So that is some that's a twist, heed, it a twist on an old classic, Okay, But the administration said their hands were tied by a nineteen ninety seven court settlement and later court rulings in which detained children can be held. But it's like one of several options, not a command, and experts say there are no such laws, but the White House was saying that the law required it, so they were lying no, because.
Speaker 1: They're doing it as a deterrent. They are trying to deter people from coming across the border. So they're not like we just got to follow the law, Like no, there's other options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like are they actually trying to deter people or they're trying to make money off of these centers?
Speaker 2: Like that's what's like sick about it all too?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I don't I think they know that it's not a deterrent. It's like how the death penalty isn't a deterrent, you know, like we know day things don't help, right if people are desperate, they're desperate. And then throughout all this though, there was an understanding that if you came in quote unquote legally at proper areas and went through the asylum process, you'd be chill since it's not illegal.
Speaker 2: But that's not what was happening.
Speaker 3: And while cases are being processed, which could take months, the families are separated in the same way as those who enter illegally. So the people when people are like, well, why didn't you do it the right way, people who were quote unquote doing it the right way and coming to get asylum were also separated. Really wow, yeah, because they had to wait for their hearings, and so they would fucking separate people because they're evil pieces of shit. And the kids are either given to a legal guardian, like a relative, but typically these children are taken to federally licensed facilities operated by the Health and Human Services Department, or they're placed with temporary foster families. Immigration lawyers say typically these kids last four months or longer waiting to be reunited, but sometimes their parents are deported.
Speaker 2: Without their children. Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: And of course, you know, separation from family leaves children more vulnerable to exploitation and abuse, no matter what the care setting. And that's according to an affidavit attached to the ACLU lawsuit that was happening about all this, and it creates toxic stress levels and children that can profoundly impact their development. I don't think that's anything new. I think we know that these things really affect children. These children aren't much greater risk of depression, post traumatic stress, and other mental health problems. And being separated from caretakers fox kids up. And these institutions, even those trying to be the most humane by their nature, warp attachments that children long for, and so the visceral and concentrated exchange of love that comforts and supports and shapes of child's heart and mind are no longer there. People who work at these places the turnover rates are super high, so it causes even more issues. It's like impersonal, unstable and fragmented care and that impacts their attachment, stress regulation, but also like their physical growth parameters and brain development. This really affects children forever. Trauma is real. Have we not watched Yellow jackets?
Speaker 2: Trauma? Trauma? Trauma?
Speaker 3: And to add two more fucked up things that happen to these children. Some are fraudulently plucked from shelters by men who pose as friends and family and then take the kids and make them work long hours. And there was a big case in Ohio where all these kids were found working on egg farms. Six people were sentenced to federal prison for their participation in the scheme. But like we were saying, like, how oh, they're doing background or they're figuring out where these kids should go. No, like men were straight up coming and like the government handed over children to traffickers, to egg farmers, to egg farmer traffickers, like full, I mean, it's yeah, outside the egg forms and detrimental damage to the children. They're also being placed in homes where they are sexually assaulted, starved, forced to work for little or no pay. And that is what an Associated Press investigation found. And all this has made so much easier because of the weakened child protection policies and the overcrowding. So kids are being sent to homes like I said, without proper fingerprinting, no birth certificate proof and not getting all the info and it eliminated FBI criminal history checks for many sponsors, and US government agencies were responsible for delivering the victims into the hands of these abusers.
Speaker 2: The government did this.
Speaker 3: Human Rights Watch in October twenty twenty one obtained the United States government documents that detailed over one hundred and sixty internal reports of misconduct and abuse of asylum seekers at the hands of US officials, which included custom and Border Patrol officers, border patrol agents, and immigration and Customs enforcement officials. And this has been between twenty sixteen and twenty twenty one. The twenty six page report was called they Treat You Like You Are Worthless Internal DHS reports of abuses by US border officials. They got these papers after the Human Rights Watch went to litigation under the Freedom of Information Act, and all of this included allegations of physical, sexual and verbal abuse, do process violations, harsh detention conditions, denial of medical care, and discriminatory treatment at or near the border. I mean, obviously they're just crematory. And then there's tons of redactions in this report with all the horrific abuse directed at children. But there is a lot of info, but none of the info. There's no records of how these agencies responded to the allegations. So there's all these documents saying like, all this fucked up shit happened, and then no, there's no evidence that anyone got punished or anything or did anything, did anything? Yeah, not even a class right, not even a sexual harassment class seminar.
Speaker 2: Seminar.
Speaker 1: I had to go to a sexual harassment seminar at seven am when I worked on a show once because some fucking guys said some weird shit about someone who was underage.
Speaker 2: Wasn't even me. We all had to go. It was really early for me, was felling asleep.
Speaker 3: Seven is early, seven is early to be Remember, I told you I was going to go to the beach at eight am, and it sounded psycho. I went before ten. The person my friend was like, we just do that, and I'm like can. I would have been late to.
Speaker 2: Pick you up. Anyways.
Speaker 3: They also uncovered twenty seven possible due process violations with all the border workers. So some of these due process violations are like would be applicants being prevented from lodging asylum claims or compelling them to sign papers they did not understand, so they kept off documents like super crucial information like dates, locations, and nationality of the person who suffered abuse, and like they did not provide appended docum humans and so. Clara Long, the Associate US director at Human Rights Watch, said that the Department of Homeland Security appears to have normalized shocking abuses by its border agencies and believes urgent steps need to be taken to ensure people are not victimized by the US border and immigration agents.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Due process stuff is like they're making people signed papers or not giving them the proper paperwork to get the asylum that they need.
Speaker 2: So they're like, fuck.
Speaker 3: So even when people are trying to do it right, you have these fucking neanderthal pieces of shit that decided to work at border patrol that are obviously raised, Like, of course they're discriminatory. I don't think you can like cage up a bunch of children and see them as actual humans like these people. Of course they're they don't. So it's like the people that are supposed to help them don't even recognize their humanity. So we're like trusting the people that are imprisoning them to help them do paperwork to help them stay in a country.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's very, very twisted. And so this moves me into.
Speaker 3: The South Southwest Key facilities. And so the owner of the Southwest Keys, which we'll learn about in the New York Times, this guy was saying that the images of children and chain link cages are not what they are, that those are facilities run by Border Patrol, which is a division of Homeland Security, and that that's not how this place works. This place is like a social service side of the federal government. He's like, we are not law enforcement. So that's this guy's claim. So there is two things. There's like the the border like law enforcement vibes, and then there's this human health and services okay, like government organization, like an FDA vibe, you know, like making sure everything's okay. And that's the people that help run these private shelter type places that are like, we're like summer camp. I think this is all bullshit. I think it's all kind of one and the same. But the owner of this facility was like, we're not the cages that you see.
Speaker 2: We're like fun. But I think you'll learn that he's why.
Speaker 3: So the Southwest Key Shelter is in Youngtown, Arizona. It's been shut down, okay, and was a shelter for unaccompanied migrant children. The children were there because of the zero tolerance border policy where the children were taken away from their parents at the border, and this policy caused a super influx and so there was just like tons and tons and tons of children arriving. So yeah, there was just like an influx of children and a lot of issues, and like I said, this place was closed down eventually. In September eighteenth, twenty eighteen, a federal contractor fired a bunch of staffers after an incident, according to a statement from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Speaker 2: But do not worry.
Speaker 3: They just sent the kids to a different shelter and it's all owned by the same company.
Speaker 2: Attend these like all these kids were in a different place.
Speaker 3: So this actually was mentioned in the episode, this Office of Refugee Resettlement, So that's THERR. In twenty eighteen, THERR was overseeing an estimated one hundre dred shelters in seventeen states, serving eleven thousand youths.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Like she says three thousand in the episode. She goes, there's three thousand, gabrielisosos And I was like, that seems like you're low balling it.
Speaker 2: But that's maybe young girls only. Yeah, I don't know who knows what she was like, but eleven thousand, it seems.
Speaker 3: Like it's a lot, and so it's like, how are you keeping track of all these people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it brings.
Speaker 3: Up a lot of issues with federal oversight and management and the invisibility under which many of these places operate. And this is more of a pr statement. The OARR claims to have zero tolerance policy for all forms of abuse or inappropriate behavior and acts quickly to address it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They refuse to comment though, on how many staffers were involved or details.
Speaker 2: About any incidents.
Speaker 3: We have all these shelters, there's not really oversight. Lots of things are happening. And not only that the government is paying these people. So the Texas based Southwest Key Programs were paid half a billion dollars in the fiscal twenty eighteen under a federal contract to house the migrant children in several states. So, you know, I always say this, like when Trump got elected, stocks of private prisons skyrocketed. That's what everyone was purchasing because everyone knew this was going to happen, and so the government gave them half.
Speaker 2: A billion to run this thing.
Speaker 3: They have thirteen facilities, and the month before the you know, one of them was shut down. The Department of Health Services moved to revoke the company's licenses after it failed to comply with employee background check requirements. So the state then launched a review after repeated reports of abuse of migrant children by the employees. After the state inspections found repeated instances in which the company had not obtained the or acquired background checks from employees.
Speaker 2: So them claiming how.
Speaker 3: Seriously they take everything in like zero tolerance is fully pr when you're not even doing proper background checks of people that are going to be working with detained children. The owner of these you know, for profit child camps said the missing deadline of background checks was, in quotes, a very small, minor thing to the New York Times. So this guy who thinks he's doing good, we're gonna learn about him. He thinks he's like truly a saint and an angel to children. Legit was like whatever, just a paper issue. This isn't even a big deal. And it's like, you do think it's a big deal to not do background checks. Some people are gonna work with children.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: The Republic obtained a report from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office detailing numerous instances in which deputies were dispatched to the Youngstown location to investigate physical and sexual abuse cases. Before the September abuse incident was disclosed, the Youngstown shelter had two cases where staff members were alleged to have acted inappropriately, but neither was substantiated. Then, at least three employees have been arrested and accused of sexually abusing the children. From twenty fifteen to twenty eighteen, there was a man Fernando and the gray tea I don't know who cares, and he was arrested on suspicion of molesting a fourteen year old girl and her roommate and they reported it and the roommate reported it to the police. At the Mesa shelter, a worker, Levian Pacheco is alleged to have performed oral sex on two teen boys and tried to rape them penetratively.
Speaker 2: He was HIV positive.
Speaker 3: And then six other teens accused him of sexually touching them Jesus and these allegations spanned eleven months starting August twenty sixteen, and he was convicted of seven counts of abuse uh sexual contact and three counts of sexual abuse in twenty nineteen, and he was sentenced to nineteen years in prison and then following a lifetime of supervised release. So I guess one pedophile has been taken. But now, when Pachecko was hired, he did not submit his fingerprints for a background check. So how are you saying you're committed to child safety. Yeah, their big punishment for failing to do this was one thousand dollars for this billion our business business. Now in July twenty eighteen, a worker at the Phoenix Shelter And this is all under the Southwest area, like they own all of these places. Yeah, they also have a policy at these places where the kids are being checked on every fifteen minutes in their rooms, which gives like a lot of opportunity for molesting. But back to what is Southwest Key and the founder and like these people that are getting rich off of human suffering, he thinks he's a social justice warrior and he calls himself El Presidente. Oh my god, his name is Juan Sanchez, and he's built an empire off of detained migrant children. He has made millions from an empire on the back of a crisis. And that's like the New York Times writing, that's very dramatic and The article came out on Britney Spears's birthday twenty eighteen December.
Speaker 2: Second, you know the important day about this guy.
Speaker 3: Well it's also like Aid's Day, I think, but it's BRIT's birthday.
Speaker 2: So on. So this guy won.
Speaker 3: He grew up along the Mexican border, like really really crowded, like all the kids slept on the floor, and so yeah, he was not very rich. And then he ended up earning three degrees, including a doctorate in education from Harvard, before he came back to Texas to start what he calls is a nonprofit. So Southwest Hey Now has collected one point seven billion dollars in federal grants in the past decade, and in twenty eighteen they made to six hundred and twenty six million alone. The company stockpile tens of millions of taxpayer dollars with little government oversight and possibly also engaging in self dealing.
Speaker 2: With top executives in other industries.
Speaker 3: So at one point they were able to house like five thousand children in twenty four shelters, and one of the shelters is a converted Walmart to just like wear warehouse. The Walmart shelter houses fifteen hundred migrant boys.
Speaker 2: So dystopian.
Speaker 3: It's a two hundred and fifty thouds in square foot facility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yikes.
Speaker 3: And this Walmart place has had at least thirteen deficiency citations. And inside this place, maybe things have changed. There was a giant mural of Trump an American flag painted on it in a white House picture and the quote from Trump that was painted says, sometimes by losing a battle, you find a new way to win the war.
Speaker 2: Like what does that even mean to children?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also a JFK quote about like what you can do for these your country. It's like, leave these kids alone. And there are doctors there in activities in a school. They can watch mowana and go outside for two hours, but they should do whatever the fuck they want.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They did le let some people in for a tour, but it was just like a very protective place. There's no windows. Everything has like black mesh over the windows, like you don't know what they spruced.
Speaker 2: Up for the the tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they worked closely with the Obama administration has set all this shut up. This is this is you know, earlier than twenty sixteen. So in twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen, they opened eight new shelters and they were no longer a small group of homes, but like giant institutions.
Speaker 2: And it kept.
Speaker 3: Growing, and then there was a breaking point where fourteen thousand miners at about one hundred sites. So on paper, this is a charity, but Sanchez was making more than double what like chief executive counterparts do at other like at the American Red Cross, which is a far larger organization. So he was just making tons of money. They also created a web of profit companies, so they had they were like in cahoots with construction companies and maintenance and food service, and it said even a florist and I'm like, what is was florest? Like what is happening? And so these companies helped to funnel money back to the charity through high management fees, and it helped circumvent government limits on executive pay. So at one point they were sitting on sixty one million dollars in cash, and they started acting like a bank and lending money to real estate developers. Yes, and so they rent out the shelters, they do not own them, which is a very unusual practice, but it is more lucrative. Marcus Owens, was the former head of tax exempt organizations for the IRS, said that the only word to describe their enterprise is, in quotes, profiteering. In twenty seventeen Southwest he paid eight people more than the federal salary cap of one hundred and eighty seven thousand, so his wife, who was the vice president, earned half.
Speaker 2: A million dollar salary. Geez.
Speaker 3: And it's like very twisted because the Mexican government gave him the highest humanitarian award that is possible, and he's on the board of the nation's largest Hispanic advocacy group, known as unidos Us, So it's like weird. Of course, he doesn't think he's evil. He's going all these humanitarian awards. I guess I don't know, but maybe he did start wanting to be good. I'm not really sure. And even if they did start out as like being the good guys and wanting to like shelter and like be a place for children that needed homes, the policy of forcibly removing them from parents has eroded any public that they could have had. You know, like anything you think you're doing, it's it's tainted by this fucked up shit. And also when you rush to expand like that, it's difficult to properly manage the housing and care of these.
Speaker 1: Child And you know that also with this sixty one million dollars of cash, they're definitely supporting like Republican candidates because they don't want this to stop.
Speaker 3: But they're like fucking cheap, Like their biggest donations were like five thousand dollars. Really, yeah, I was looking at their donations. They used to donate to Democrats because Obama was working with them. I think this is a I mean, there's a reason that Democrats are inactive of any social change because they're also in the pockets of these businesses. So this idea of like one side or the other is all bullshit. They're all just trying to make.
Speaker 1: Nice, he says, left wing, right wing. They're all part of the same bird. They are, and it's bullshit. And it's like the Democrat like, can you just do something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally just fucking do something. But yeah, like their donations were so bad. Alexia Rodriguez, as Southwest Key's vice president of Immigrant Children's Services, said our growth is in direct response to kids coming to the border. But to me, it's like a chicken in the egg shit, Like, are you growing because of the policy or was the policy made for you guys to make money with all these defense contracts and assholes who are profiting.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Dick Cheney and Blackwater and all that shit.
Speaker 2: Right, that's another person.
Speaker 3: One of our friend's friends married someone who worked at Halliburton. Then it was like, yeah, actually someone here. Their dad died and they didn't like their dad. He was high up at Halliburton, and now she gets to live in a giant house and has all this money from him, but like hated it, never talk to him or anything because he was a Halliburton guy. It's not even it's like a friend of a friend. So the Celexia woman truly says that they are not a political organization and they just take great care of kids. And it's like, then put more windows on the buildings, bitch. Why aren't their little paintings of tulips and bunnies if it's like a great place. Did I tell you in Skokie there is a daycare called Little Muslims.
Speaker 2: No, I would have remembered that. So funny.
Speaker 3: So you know, they have all these places, they're getting all this money from the government, no one is watching them, and so obviously there's so many kids not trained staff. So I'm just gonna like go through some of the fucked up shit that happens to some of the kids there. Like one girl ate a meal she was allergic to, even though she was wearing the proper red bracelet to indicate her allergy. If you're taking good care of kids, kids should not be eating shit they're allergic to. Kids were forced to sit for four hours as discipline. There was slapping, pushing, grabbing, children missing doses of their medication, children who had to wait days in pain to see a medical profile. A child tested positive for an STD and the medical coordinator failed to follow up and the miner did not receive medical treatment until four weeks later.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Also, how did that get an STD?
Speaker 3: He so this guy, the owner going back to him, Juan, he wanted to go to seminary and then after all of his education in nineteen eighty one, all his degrees, all the Harvard maybe in at Harvard, he turned fully evil. At age thirty three, he returned home to start this charity. To help children stay out of prison, and it was like helping like his friends. He started this Southwest key was an essence. Started to help his friends and the kids that didn't become successful like him from the neighborhood. And then in the late nineteen eighties, a court settlement meant for the first time that migrant children were required by law to have their own shelters, and the government asked, mister Sanchez, can you take on these migrant children.
Speaker 2: This is the eighties people, Yeah, so this way back.
Speaker 3: So his first nonprofit he did was with his former gym teacher, mister Gallegos Gegos, which reminds you that's like a lawyer Garaga like this is similar. And they established International Educational Services, which is under federal investigation and I could not find any information about it. So in nineteen ninety six is when Southwest he entered the shelter business, and right away the lines were very blurry, you know. He hired all his friends and family onto the boards. And then I mentioned this up top, but he formed a limited like limited partnerships with real estate friends where their names were the only ones on the documents but him. He was a silent partner. So they would buy former boarding schools and land and then lease it to Southwest Key and the charity paid these real estate partners, but they were the partners. Yeah, so they're like double dipping. And you know, charities are not supposed to do that. Yes, charity should not be making deals that benefit leaders and shelter grant recipients are prohibited from pursuing their private financial game. Mister Sanchez claims that the government knew that what he was doing, which I don't doubt.
Speaker 2: And then but.
Speaker 3: After the Times put them on blast, they disclosed all the info and then went to seek to sell their stakes and I don't have any info and if they.
Speaker 2: Sold it or like what happened and if they acquired new but they did.
Speaker 1: It's like wil that the press is the one that has to hold their feet to the fire, like it's not the government, no, you know.
Speaker 3: And they continue to acquire new land in locations and stuff and use the charity's address and kept building their real estate portfolio like they never really stop. They also would purchase charter schools and then force the schools to award work.
Speaker 2: To Southwest Key for profit.
Speaker 3: Martha Kotera, a school board member started to grow suspicious and told The New York Times they were sold to us as an economic development enterprises for the community, but it was very self serving and the schools we're also paying Southwest Key millions for food maintenance, and like she left the.
Speaker 2: Board because she was pissed about that.
Speaker 3: And then his good friend who he'd been doing real estate broking deals with, became the board member.
Speaker 2: So it's like truly so.
Speaker 3: Insidious and like shady, and all of these kids are just being like played with for profit.
Speaker 2: It's really fucked up.
Speaker 3: His excuse for all this is it's not worth for him to purchase buildings because he didn't want to get stuck with empty shelters if the children stopped coming.
Speaker 2: And also what's wild.
Speaker 3: Is like these places seem like they're coming from a bad place, but so is some of the communities.
Speaker 2: So we hate this place.
Speaker 3: But then some of the towns like they don't want these shelters, and not because they're immoral and it's fucked up, but they don't want their tax dollars going to these people.
Speaker 2: So it's like double evil. So it's like, but isn't it federal tax dollars that are going to it.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's not like these people are smart. Yeah yeah, what are we talking about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like then you want the community to be like no, like this is wrong that they're separate and trated poorly. But it's mostly people being like I don't want my money going these people. And so then he gets to play kind of victim and be like, look at this discrimination we're dealing with. We're just trying to help kids, Like, look at these bad people. So they get even more like a sympathetic kind of Edit. Yeah, there was a lawsuit from Southwest Key and they suit a town in California called Escondido, claiming they were fucking with zoning laws to keep them out. And during the lawsuit, one quote was used from the citizen and it was reported by the New York Times in quotes, I believe most of us are sick of paying for undocumented invaders.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Like these are evil people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could you imagine calling kids invaders or like people that want to live here.
Speaker 2: I just like don't get it. It's just like they just don't. It would be crazy.
Speaker 3: But this happens a lot of Like my sister's peers, so that she's no, and when we immigrated, are like all trumpy, piece of shit right wingers like don't want Muslim refugees, don't give a shit about anyone, yeah unless and and they don't want like so crazy like we came here, we were on welfare, like we got help from the Jewish United Fund, all these things, and now they're the.
Speaker 2: Most like fuck all these people.
Speaker 3: Look at them sitting on foods and it's like you were on foods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even.
Speaker 3: Worse, like my family in New York they live in subsidized housing, but like all like that's what Russians do in Brighton Beach. They're all in like subsidized housing. And then the garages are all filled with Beamers and Mercedes they're like taking and then they bring they're bringing their grandmas from Russia.
Speaker 2: The grandmas live there, nice ass cars.
Speaker 3: They're like shit, like truly using the government, and then are so racist and hateful towards others.
Speaker 2: So maybe I would be again, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, but so yeah, these kids are getting bullshit from everyone. They're sitting there hoping to be better and have like a good life and people to like love and care for them.
Speaker 2: And everyone's like, get them out of my city.
Speaker 3: And then other people are I'm gonna get money off putting you in a cage. But they won the lawsuit against the town and they won five hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Great, we're buddy to the add it to the pod, Like there's no one to cheer for.
Speaker 3: So I went on their site to find out what's and they are hiring. So if you're calling is to provide and so it says, if your calling is to provide compassionate care, join their programs.
Speaker 1: I remember thinking when this was all happening, though, I was like, can I just go to Texas like for a few days and like hang out with kids. I'm like, I'm an old, I'm a former camp counselor well, they let me just know, like you need books to kids.
Speaker 3: Don't you remember charities and American people were coming to help and they were turning them away.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't let them in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the website, you know, it's like all bullshit. It's like we reuniting kids and helping them, but it's the opposite of their goal. It's like their goal is to make money. So is it to reunite or is it to keep these kids longer? Like it's all just conflict of interests everywhere. Yeah, their website claims since twenty fifteen, they have unified one hundred thousand children.
Speaker 2: Do we buy it or not?
Speaker 3: They claimed the typical length of stay for minors is thirty two days, and as of now, they have seventeen shelters in Texas, eight in Arizona, and two in California. So this one place where all that abuse happened closed, but they're in business.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now from the Washington Post, as of May one, twenty twenty two, crossings and attempted crossings at the US Mexico border are at record levels. Nothing has changed, Yeah, and it's an issue for both sides, Like Republicans accuse Biden of being too lenient at the border, and then the Democrats accuse Biden of being too tough.
Speaker 2: So it's like everyone's twisted.
Speaker 3: And that's why I said the research was hard because the themes you get on an article and it was all just like Biden's letting the caravans in.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, well I remember, like I just saw a tweet the other day that was like gas prices have gone down for the past like six days, so que a story from Fox New about Mexican caravans coming, like they'll pivot it away from that at any moment to always put it back on, like the.
Speaker 2: Caravans, the caravans, And it's like, yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is like obviously this is post the episode, but I thought i'd let you know, let everyone know where everything is stands as of now, and then of course I'll close this out with some sex trafficking stories. Okay, So in the past six months of since this Washington Post article, so far, people at the border have been apprehended by the government five hundred and forty nine thousand times.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a lotter a little like I don't even know.
Speaker 1: What it has means in six months, so okay, uh, okay, and most remain in custody or under the radar pending a court hearing.
Speaker 3: It could take years to resolve an asylum case like we you know what was happening with Gabriella's mom in the episode. Yeah, and then half get kicked out immediately less than half our process by immigration authorities, and then the remainder are allowed to stay in the country and apply for asylum and other humanitarian statuses. And then I don't know if we knew this, but fifteen thousand Ukrainian refugees are in Mexico waiting to get into the US as well, and that's a whole other thing obviously, like but yeah, you know, and they're separating the Ukrainian children from their parents as well.
Speaker 1: So these like people are sure you want to come in here, so they like escaped the war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they come here, and they're in Mexico and they're in.
Speaker 3: Mexico because that's a way to get in and then they're separated. So they have been separating them as well. Okay, what also is an issue today is Title forty two, and it is a public health order put in place by Trump that allows the government to send migrants back to their home countries rather than hold them in detention. And the Biden administration kept the policy for more than a year and plan to phase it out by May, but a group of Republican attorney generals sued to keep the policy in place, and a federal judge in Louisiana agreed to temporarily block the Biden administration from lifting it. Wow so they think lifting it will cause chaos. And I truly don't know, and I wrote, I don't know why I'm talking about this, and I don't know where I stand. But they used it as like a protection against COVID and diseases to get people out.
Speaker 2: Fast, right, I remember this. It was a COVID thing. Yeah. Yeah, it's like a closed border thing with COVID. Yeah. These federal judgesment.
Speaker 3: This is where quote unquote the liberate whatever, this is where we fucked up.
Speaker 2: We were not paying attention to the judges.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The judges are what have fucked everything? Are these like right wing appointed judges. It's really wild. The administration has cut way back ontoporting people who are already in the country illegally, and arrests fell to their lowest level since at least twenty fifteen. Biden has ditch Trump's Remain in Mexico policy, which required migrants to stay in Mexico while they wait for decisions on their asylum claims, and then a federal judge later forced the administration to reinstate it.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you that's where we really fuck So president is like powerless. It feels like the president can't do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, he did some cool shit with a I don't even I don't even understand what he did to abortion. Okay, And April, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in a case called Biden versus Texas about whether Biden can end the program or not. Also, the Biden administration promises to allow asylum officers at the border to grant asylum there rather than pass the case onto judges in a bog down court system, and people who don't get asylum at the border are sent to immigration courts, which usually take months to wrap up a case, which is an improvement for waiting years.
Speaker 2: And that's what it was like during the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: And all of this is going to be really in the air come midterms because Republicans make immigration like a bigger and bigger issue and they just like hate immigrates.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, like we talked about the abuse that happens at these centers and the laws where we stand currently. But the character in the episode was traffic to a different state and kept in a cage, So I was curious. I just want to to look into the human trafficking cases where the government placed children into horrific situations.
Speaker 2: I actually didn't find that much stuff.
Speaker 3: But in January twenty sixteen, The Times reported that the Department of Health and Human Services placed more than a dozen immigrant children in the custody of human traffickers. And this is according to a Senate report. And this government agency is the same government agency that's in charge of the Southwest Key and like keeping bad above board, so everyone's just bad at their jobs and has no soul. And they didn't even follow like any basic principles. There weren't any home visits usually if like you're going to be a foster person in that visits, they like no home visits at all when they release these kids. And it's super unclear how many of the ninety thousand plus kids have been placed into traffickers' hands, like they truly lost children, Like I don't know what's going to happen, And so many cases of trafficking happening outside of the government agencies, just straight up traffickers on the border. And instead of actually helping these people, were more folks on like who deserves to come here safely and not?
Speaker 2: And it's like we're worrying about the wrong things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just the idea of separating kids from their parents or caregivers make them so much more susceptible to trafficking, and so it's like trafficking. Yeah, it's it's truly like isolating, separate and like making it as hard as possible for these children to have good lives or be well adjusted, or be.
Speaker 2: Safe and cared for.
Speaker 3: And it's really a mess of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I hope that all made sense and self relevant. It's just like so big and on going, and it's like I don't.
Speaker 1: Know anything about Southwest Key and stuff that's interesting. Thank you for telling me.
Speaker 2: All that business and just like.
Speaker 3: Research charities you give in because I remember I met a girl that was like cooking at one of these places.
Speaker 2: Do we meet her together? Who? I don't know? I remember like.
Speaker 3: Meeting someone they're like, oh yeah, my job is like I cook, I'm a cook at one of these places.
Speaker 2: And later I was like, wait, is this person, Like what is happening?
Speaker 1: Just providing them with food is not horrible, but like because you know, I don't know what you guys needs to be there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just like these people are making so much money being so evil and double dipping, and the government agencies are allowing it, and yeah, it's all just like political fodder and fear tactics and like people are getting fucked with because not only of the trafficking, but I mentioned up top, it's like longstanding psychological trauma, mental trauma, physical trauma. Like the way you love people and attached to people forever is gonna be fucked. Like we're not only fucking these kids financially, like we're fucking people. Well, it's like the same opposite of what a mara like of what life is. And isn't it like the chance to live? What's the constitution?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, no it is.
Speaker 1: Give us you're tired, your poor year hudled mass is yearning to breathe free.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's uh terrible. I just think we have to.
Speaker 1: I just think that there's a whole section of this country that doesn't see them as people and that's the problem. Okay, But as always, we have a delightful interview to you're gonna and you're just gonna love this one today, So stay where you are, Okay, guys, today's guest is not only super talented, but is the youngest guest in that s messed up history. She's been in such films as Wish Upon a Unicorn and Life in Long Beach, but you guys know her as little Gabriella Sosa. Please enjoy our chat with the lovely Scarlet Lopez. Oh my gosh, Scarlet officially our youngest person we've ever interviewed on our podcast.
Speaker 2: We're so excited to have you.
Speaker 1: Yes, how old are you now? Do you mind sharing your age? I know a lady never tells, but oh yeah, no, no.
Speaker 7: I don't mind. I'm twelve, but I'm going to be thirteen in two days.
Speaker 1: Oh what are you doing for him?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah, thank you. So for my birthday, I'm going to go to six Flags with my friend. And on the fifteenth, which is when it's actually my birthday, I'm going to be spending it with my dad.
Speaker 1: Nicey, I love six Flags?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 1: That's oh, sebast Do you like to be You like roller coasters?
Speaker 7: To be honest, no, I really don't. It's just like my friend he really likes roller coasters, but I don't understand why because he's like scared of like a glue gun when it's not even on So I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like, are you around a lot of glue guns?
Speaker 7: No, it's because we recently like had a project like at the end of the semester where we had to like create like these like ocean animals with plastic.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, cool, it was really fun.
Speaker 2: What else have you been doing for summer?
Speaker 7: H not much really, I've just kind of been relaxing and talking to my friends. But I don't have summer school or anything like that. Oh I do have jiu jitsu that which.
Speaker 2: Is jiu jitsu. Yeah, all right, very all right.
Speaker 1: So so you're twelve but on the verge of thirteen. So that means like when you did this episode of SVU, you were like nine or eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, oh my gosh, because you were nine. You were so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were awesome in this episode. We were so happy you wanted to talk to us.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So, like, I know, like eight to twelve is a big range of time because it's like a quarter of your young life. But like, do you remember like the audition process and like how it was going through getting the part?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I do. I remember for the audition I got called back because I like cried because I was thinking of like my grandma, and like, I guess they really liked that, but I had forgotten like a scene and I was just like, oh, but they called me back and I was just like, oh, they must have really liked me. So then yeah, after that, I got the part.
Speaker 2: Amazing. You are very good at crying.
Speaker 3: So did you always you think of the same thing usually when you like, did you know you have that skill before you went into the audition?
Speaker 7: Uh? I practiced like my mom and me would like try to like watch videos of me, like like Bambi or like, uh, you know, sad videos like to like have me start crying. And then Mom was like, Okay, this is not really working, so try to think of like someone dying and like one of your family members dying. And I was just like, oh okay, and then I started crying when I thought of my grandma.
Speaker 2: So oh wow.
Speaker 1: So because you were only a kid, you had brought your parents to set with you or were your mom or your daughter or.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah my mom went with me. Yeah, like practicing the scripts nice? Yeah, we just it was just kind of off because it was in New York, so it was just like like the sleep schedule was a lot different.
Speaker 3: Oh right, right, jet Lag. Did you spend time in your fun trailer? Was that exciting?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I like that. But I think my favorite part about it all is like hanging out with the cast and you know, eating all the snacks.
Speaker 2: That sounds like it would be our favorite part too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We actually talked to Andy Powers on our podcast. He was the guy that takes me away, the bad guy, like the officers would take you away, and he was telling us that you were great to work with them.
Speaker 7: Oh wowe Yeah, what scoop do you have about the cast?
Speaker 3: Like any fun stories with Mauritia, Guys, Tea or Kelly or just any fun stories from the set.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'd say fun story was it wasn't really with them, but there was like these two these two little girls. One of them actually I think it was like we had the same name or I think it was Charlotte. I think maybe not Scarlette. But they were really really fun to work with. They were like always gooping with me and like my mom, Like when my mom was trying to have me like start crying, they would always be like, Oh, do you want to come play with us? Do you want to hang out? Do you want to tag? And I was just like and my mom was just like, well, we have to like get her ready for this, But I just kept playing around with them and it was just really fun with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Hard to cry when you're having fun with your friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of photos of you online with like iced Tamurushka, and everyone is smiling so big. I don't think I've ever seen ice Tea smile so much. It's like they all really enjoyed you being there too.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Did you love getting to eat all the pizza and ice crea that they can't bring in your character? Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I loved it. I was just like can I can I keep eating it?
Speaker 2: Like amazing?
Speaker 3: The subject matter of the episode is so like intense. Was that you know you being so young? Did they kind of protect you from it? Were you aware of how serious and kind of scary the scenes were?
Speaker 2: How did that work?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I was. I was aware of what was going on, but I like had to ask my mom some like questions like oh, like what does this mean? Why is this happening? And she was explaining to me, Oh, sometimes like you know this happens to kids your age and even younger. I was just like, oh, wow, that's that's you know, horrible, Like this shouldn't be happening to like kids my age, and I was just it just like made me even more sad and like get more into character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is really sad when you were I remember like the one scene that was like so emotional was like when you finally get to like do a video chat with your mom in the episode. But like because that's like a video chat where you just like doing performing your part to like an empty iPad or what, because like that she wasn't really on the other side of the screen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was actually a prerecorded video of her, and like so you had to like time it perfectly so I would just like cry when she like you know like waited.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, really a pro. Yeah. How did you get into acting altogether?
Speaker 7: When I was five? I think there's like a I'm not sure if it was like a convention or something, but uh, like it was just like a group of all these kids who are like had to like like like do a monologue and like you know, a cold read, and I was just like, oh, maybe I'm not right for this and I got kind of scared, but then like I didn't I didn't get to make it because I think I was like too young. But uh so then I tried it again with like a different group of people, and I think like that that time, I was like more prepared and like my mom was too, and so like, yeah, I think that's when I started, like officially like acting.
Speaker 2: Did something inspire you?
Speaker 3: Like was there a movie or a specific actor or something that got you going?
Speaker 7: No, not not really. I think it was like my uncle because he just like acting too, but it's just like small. I was just like, huh, that's that looks kind of fun, and I was just like maybe I should try that. Yeah, because I started when I was like five five.
Speaker 3: And we saw you got nominated for an award for your acting that Yeah.
Speaker 7: That was that was pretty exciting. I I was pretty nervous, to be honest. It's just like who this was my first time doing this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there was like a red carpet and everything and like a whole word thing that's awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think like that was like the first time that was like interviewed, like it was from this girl from like the I think a YouTube channel, and I feel like I was kind of unprepared for that, so I was pretty nervous, but I think I did pretty alright.
Speaker 2: I'm sure what did you air?
Speaker 1: Uh? It was I saw a picture of it on your Instagram. I think it was so pretty. It was like a red dress, right, yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my grandma bought it for me. Actually, yeah, it's cute.
Speaker 2: I love that and we were you know, you had to do an accent? Was that hard? Did you work with a coach?
Speaker 7: No? No, no, because my grandma she has a pretty, you know, heart accent, so I was able to get it from her.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I was thinking of her, well, like, oh how does how does how does she pronounce this? How does like she like, uh say these things? I was just like, oh, okay, I guess that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yees so impressive. At nine, I feel like to do accents.
Speaker 3: Like we have another scene we really love is you and Kelly Giddish When you're like, oh no, the baby's in there?
Speaker 2: It was like really really cute.
Speaker 3: Did you guys get along? Like, did you have any fun moments? Did you bring her dog on set or anything?
Speaker 7: No? I actually didn't know she had a dog. Oh dog? What kind of dog?
Speaker 2: Is it like a big lab looking? Yeah, it's like a big blonde dog. Do you have pets?
Speaker 7: Actually, yeah, I do. I have a dog, turtle, and a hamster. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whoa, Oh I thought your dog's name was turtle. A dog, a turtle, and a hamster. That's like a menagerie. That's a lot of animals. Are you taking care of them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How did your friends react to, you know, you being in like SBU or other cool things that you've done, or because are you?
Speaker 2: Are you in La?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I am a mill Or is it because La everyone's kind of acting, all the kids or no.
Speaker 7: I was kind of surprised, to be honest, Like when I was in elementary school, Like a bunch of people were surprised that like a kid could be acting and they were all just like, oh, you're acting, and they're like super surprised, and I was just like, yeah, I am acting. Yeah, And then like, but you're so young and you're here with us, this is so weird. They were just like super surprised.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the episode?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah I did when it came out on who. We actually had a party at my mom's friend's house and like we all watched it like with their family, and it was pretty fun. And I think the most like fun or not fun part, but like the most inspirational part of that was when her her dad started crying because of like the scenes that I was in and how he saw that because like you know, he was an immigrant and he like came to the US and like he was able to like actually experience that.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: And it was just like I was like.
Speaker 3: Wow, do you have any big dream roles or a show that you would love to be on? Is there anything like you want to try to manifest.
Speaker 7: Over the future In the future, I was thinking like maybe maybe like Marvel. I'm a big fan of like Marvel movies, and so I was thinking, like maybe I can be like a Latina superhero.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think that would be pretty fun. Any what would your special powers be.
Speaker 7: I think it would be like I don't know, maybe maybe you're not like super speed because I just think of like the Flash and that's like from DC. So uh, maybe it would be like uh, like lasers, like uh lasers that come out of my fingers or like I had like this power that would like it would mimic other people's powers.
Speaker 1: Oh that mhm, that's a really cool idea. All right, Marvel take a note. Do you have actors that you look up to? Like, who is your favorite? Who do you like to watch?
Speaker 7: Uh? I think your name is gal Gada woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I feel like she's like pretty inspiring because I've seen her, you know, movies like Wonder Woman and with Leonardo DiCaprio, And I was just like, Wow, you're pretty.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Like you can do all.
Speaker 7: This and like you're like you get into like acting like a lot. Like she's like very serious when it comes to like her roles that she plays.
Speaker 2: She's like awesome, amazing.
Speaker 3: Any you know, our listeners obviously really love us to be like we do. Do you have any final kind of stories or moments you think people would really like to know or hear about from your time there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's kind of like hard to remember, but uh, something that I do remember is I tease daughter.
Speaker 2: Now she is.
Speaker 7: So cute, like the cutest girl I've ever seen. Oh my god, she love her. Yeah, she looks just like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was just like, you guys are twins. Like immediately, I was just like, you guys like looked like the exact same person. Like it's like so hard like to tell the difference between them, I other than like the age. And I was just like, wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you play with her or she was probably tiny?
Speaker 2: Were you just like yeah?
Speaker 7: I was just like oh, and I just kind of wanted to just like carry her and like hug her and take.
Speaker 2: Her home with me. Yeah, she is such a cutie.
Speaker 3: Well, we're very honored you came to talk to us. You were so talented and so good in the episode, and we feel really.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, we can't wait to see what you do in the future. Yeah, hopefully, and have the best time at six Flags. Six Flags Rules, I love six Flags and happy birthday.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. We're gonna we're now we're a children's podcast. We're only interviewing the child stars of Lawn Order us.
Speaker 2: You so cute, you know.
Speaker 3: I just love what a professional she is and that she's like, yeah, Bamby didn't make me cry.
Speaker 2: I don't care. Family meet like cool twelve year olds.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, maybe like kids have a chance, they're not all going to be assholes, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: No, the kids are better now, Yeah, the kids are better.
Speaker 3: Well, I talk to this therapist, and I think therapists get competitive because I was telling my therapists that I talked to this other therapist for the podcast, and she just started shading and like rolling her like she was like livid.
Speaker 2: I said. I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: He said a few insightful things and then I said one of them. She goes, that's what you thought? Was that insight I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. But he would say, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we're talking about the kids and all of that at how they are different and better now and what's the key to raising great children?
Speaker 2: And he just said, love the shit out of them the most.
Speaker 3: Possible way ever, so they can be as grounded and in themselves as possible. And I feel because thiseneration of people having kids did not have that, I feel like parents are allowing their kids to be them and just being like like saying I love you more, just being sweeter and letting people like I just I think the next generation will be more well adjusted because I said something them. I'm like, it just takes so long to deal with all the mental stuff to get better and work on yourself, and like it, I feel like it's taking me decades to like learn shit about myself. And he goes, well, yeah, because you were fucked as a kid, and so you have to do all this decades of unlearning. But if you're not as fucked as a kid, yeah, you don't have to do all this like reverse work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to know. You could be like my parents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my parents said they loved me all the time I did this, I did that, and so verse like, you know, my dad's never said a nice thing to me, and so now I have to deal with that for decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I mean, yeah, she was amazing, and its just like, I don't know, it just made like everything we're talking about makes the True Crime Pop portion of thatisode even more fucking heartbreaking that we're just traumatizing all these children by tearing them away from their parents at the border.
Speaker 3: But my god, Kara, Okay, so you know, my friend Julia was in town this week. This should have been in the intro the hotel we were staying out for two days. They were filming vander Pump Roules. Okay, we got to watch them film vander Pump Rules all night for three hours.
Speaker 2: We all ate mushrooms.
Speaker 3: There's four of us and just sat for hours watching. We made friends with production. They were giving us inside scoot like it was a great moment. But then the next day Julia wanted some Tom Tom. So we go to Tom Tom. We're friendly with the bartender or reving fun. He's cracking jokes and then something shifts. He says he does comedy. I mean that's a problem. But then he says something about like I don't know how it started. But he says he's a moderate, and we're like, oh, do you suck? He goes, no, no, no, I'm moderate. And this is my new question now that I'm going to ask anyone that thinks for moderate before I get to know anyone. From now on, I'm gonna say, do you believe that children deserve free lunch at school? Because if you don't believe in that, I don't want you next to me. I don't want to hang out with you. I don't want anything like that to me. Is like the core, like if you are not so? I said, do you believe in free line? He goes, no, pay for it. Tell your parents to get a better job. I go, so you think kids should not eat because their parents have bad jobs. He goes, yeah, it's not my problem. I'm a libertarian. And I was like, God, this is what we're dealing with. Though, this is what we're dealing Like we think like we're all connected and like caring about stuff. This simple thing of like we don't want children starving, and there are people that are just bartending at Tom Tom thinking they're normal, not wanting children to eat for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Lisa, I gotta say, I thought you.
Speaker 1: Were just wanting to tell the story, and you really did bring it around what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: I should have heard out.
Speaker 1: Of you like it's like, oh, I guess she just wants to tell the vander film story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's that mentality.
Speaker 1: It's the same fucking mentality of this bartender.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right, like we think.
Speaker 3: We're the same, but there are people who do not give a shit if kids are starving.
Speaker 2: They don't care. Wow.
Speaker 3: And then Julie asked you do you believe in public education? And he goes, no, it sucks, And this is what we're fighting against. There is no both sides anymore. There is no moderate, there is no nothing. And this guy thinks he's moderate. He's against public school and children eating for free, and he thinks he's moderate. It's like, what do you think a radical is, bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're you're you're edging on right wing, my bro.
Speaker 2: That's but and then and.
Speaker 3: Then we started looking him up when we went to dinner, and it was like.
Speaker 2: What like his insta he's not vaxed.
Speaker 3: We found out he's not vaxed nothing.
Speaker 2: Was he wearing a mask? Of course not?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Bartending, No, he doesn't believe in it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And then Julie goes, but your pro abortion? He goes, I mean, I'm pro choice, not pro abortion.
Speaker 2: And she said.
Speaker 3: Something to him about like, well, choice for masks, and he goes, you're right, I am pro abortion. So at least we have one thing where he agreed he is pro abortion. But I also, I wish I asked them this, because all these libertarians it's like, do what you want. But it's like, but then you hate trans people right, right? But they can't. But the bat like, I just whatever once, So I'm going to write a joke about it.
Speaker 2: This is my new hill to die on.
Speaker 3: If you don't think children should eat for free, I don't want you around me. And you're a bad person.
Speaker 2: I gess that. Yeah, and we were talking.
Speaker 3: Maybe he doesn't, maybe he's never starved, Maybe he doesn't realize it. Maybe to him a philosophical debate where he doesn't realize that, Like, it just sucks. And then we expect children to do all school and these kids are like, it's even worse, but it affects you. Not eating affects you, and not having like active parents in the home affects you. Trauma, all of these things like go in your being, and then we expect people to just like thrive in this world.
Speaker 2: It's sick. It's sick, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like that even the consistency of knowing where that you were, like you're going to get your meal at school, you know, like just knowing that you're always going to have that, it must take so much stress off of kids and like, yeah, that's I mean, yeah, that's a great example of what this episode tried to show too, was help. Yeah, people just they're not looking at immigrants as people and it's fucked up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's the Daniel Kluia black mirror, you know where they're all bugs.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, the army one right, yeah, yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 3: Our people don't even need those glasses to make people know.
Speaker 1: You don't need any kind of creepy futuristic technology.
Speaker 2: You guys just have good old fashioned bigotry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seeing the world through biggot colored glasses, all right, And that it's a business.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's this one is horrific and we're living in it and it's just sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hoping. I hope that the situation at the border is improving.
Speaker 1: But I do know that there's a lot of amazing organizations that are working to help people at the border and immigrants and refugees. So I would like to segue into what would Sister PEG do our weekly segment where we give you guys an organization, an article, a book, a doc, something that will flesh out today's topic with more information for you. So today we wanted to I wanted to highlight this organization all Otrolado, which is Spanish for the other side. It's a l O t ro la d o dot org allotrolado dot org. And this group offers free legal and humanitarian support to refugees, deporties, and other migrants on both sides of the US and Mexico border. I donated to them when this is zero tolerance policy like first came into into action, and I've I've always kept in touch with what they're doing, and I think that they have They do great work. Their work focuses on sympathetic understanding of the trauma that migrants go through in the immigration process, so we I love that approach, and I urge everyone to go to all ultral Atto dot org and see if you can find out more about what they do and donate a little bit if you have the memes.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, Kara. That sounds like a good one. I feel like I'm going to get involved.
Speaker 3: Next week's episode will be Savior Season eleven, episode fourteen, So join us watch with us VPN. I'm a VPNG girl now, so you.
Speaker 2: Can do that. She got the stick y'all? She got that VPN stick?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 2: Oh, is it a fire sack? I just thought it was like a fire.
Speaker 1: There is a stick. There is a stick. Okay, I think there's some kind of stick. You're not crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm Hulu Peacock and oh, I'm going to watch some housewives now that I have a VPN.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, I'm deep into girls Trip now I'm deep into the Berkshires. Oh yeah, it's good fucking dark Man. All right, we'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: We love you. Thank you for listening. Bye bye.
Speaker 3: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Karaklank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to our producer Analise Nelson and to our mixer John Bradley, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Done.
Speaker 3: Done,