Speaker 1: Well, we're a little past halfway at training camp in Saint Joseph, Missouri.
Speaker 2: Is Kansas City.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs get ready for their sixty seventh season. But the pads are on again here at camp and in this episode of Defending the Kingdom. Even our own Matt McMullen is in pads for this episode. It's brought to you by Mosaic, the official presenting sponsor of Kansas City Chiefs training Camp. Here in Saint Joseph, the homes in the pocket will step up, You'll scrabble ten fides diving touchdown Chansas City. Tenex dot AI is the official cybersecurity partner of the Kansas City Chiefs. In this city, we know that championship success starts with defense. Tenex dot AI is the AI security operations provider protecting organizations from cybersecurity attacks at machine speed with human analysts on the loop twenty four to seven experienced cybersecurity that is AI native and human led United against Free Thread. Visit tenx dot ai for details.
Speaker 2: And how everyone.
Speaker 1: I Mitch hold this Voice of the Chiefs along with.
Speaker 2: Pad it up.
Speaker 1: It's Matt McMullen. Let's go, who's the director of editorial content as well as senior team reporter. That means you put the pads on, you got you look.
Speaker 2: Good in pads.
Speaker 3: I wonder how much ridicule kind of open myself up to. We're gonna find out two years in a row. Now the Social team has no faith in me. They think I can't go out there and like catch some balls in the jugs machine and do some pott return go through the gauntlet. So I'm up for the challenge. So after this I'm gonna do some drills. We'll see how I do.
Speaker 1: We know a lot of you, most of you just listen to Defending the Kingdom, but more and more you're going to want to watch and listen to Defending the Kingdom. And this episode is a perfect example why because if you're just listening, you may want to find the video portion of this because Matt is padded up for this episode. But yeah, the Chiefs went three straight days in pads, then at ten ten ten, right back to pads that we just finished that practice. Here we're on the practice field as we speak, your thought as a chart starts to feel like the dog days of camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really kind of the groundhog day sort of vibe. Now, this is always difficult because you think about coach Read's process. It's all about pushing and pulling and really pushing the guys for three straight days in pads, which keep in mind, the guys had not been in pads all offseason. The league rules don't allow that, So first time in pads since last season ended. And then you do it three straight days. Kind of a lighter day yesterday, more of a mental day. But now you're backing pads today. How do you respond to that? And I mean it's hot out here. You could tell the guys are kind of going through it. Two hours and twenty five minutes we finished the ramp up. No more kind of easing into it. It's all about these long practices and the heat and in pads. But saw some good things overall. And this is when true football evaluation can take place, because guys can go out there and look good in shorts. They can look good on the first couple days of pads, but who really flashes on days like this? Those are the guys that are going to make your team and make a difference later on in the year.
Speaker 1: Matt and I've seen this syllabus. This is the fourteenth year that coach has been here. And it's a great point that you make of the ramp up, take a breath, and then ramp back up again. But it's all a series of like taking pop quizzes throughout the semester, and your point's a really good one. This is a pop quiz after a ten ten to ten nopad shells practice to come right back out after it. How do guys respond? The next one will be and we'll talk about it after the first preseason game because it's back here in Saint Joseph and back for time in Pats. So it's just a series of these tests physically, mentally and emotionally. And those of you watching are listening here the obligatory lawnmar in the background, which tells you we're not virtually doing this.
Speaker 3: Now we're here, we're on the field right now. You know, one thing that we were talking about before it started shooting is the amazing condition the field is in. It's incredible the condition they keep this field in. It's not easy. I mean, the guys are out here every single day, but the field looks great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our players love the surface. It's a rye bermuta mix. It's a tight surface, fast surface, natural grass and Travis Hogan does an incredible job with all of his guys and gals. In fact, we share the dorm with them. They get little crazy, sometimes a little steam off, but they're awesome in what they do. We're going to get in to in this episode some of the guys that we have seen kind of rise up in Pads and there have been a few surprises with this.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start with Chamary Connor.
Speaker 1: Chamarry Connor is now back in a safety position where he's facing the play. Last year he played a lot of slot kind of a hybrid safety slot corner position, but many times, depending on the coverage and depending on the scheme, he had to turn his back to the play, or turn his hips or turn his shoulders. Right now, for the most point, most time he's seeing the play in front of him with the shoulder square to the line of scrimmage. In pads, that turns him loose. We have seen him make physical plays, We've seen him make plays on the ball and skills. He's thrilled because this is the way he was two years ago. And remember his game defining play against the Cincinnati Bengals, essentially one net game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think about early in Shamari's career, he was always around the football. That play against the Bengals comes to mind, but also the interception against Josh Allen against the Bills a couple of years ago, and then in the playoffs that year, I think Mike Edwards got hurt on the very first snap of the game and Chamari had to go in and played really well in lieu of Mike Edwards. We know Chamari can be a really effective safety in the NFL. He's been playing a lot of the slot position the last couple of years, and that's a really tough position to play. I think having more slot centric players in camp this year has been a major benefit for him. We have guys like Chris Rowland, Wallace Caterkoho, and Jaden Kennedy who can all go in the slot and play really effective football.
Speaker 2: That lets Chamorroi go back to playing more of a traditional safety role.
Speaker 3: And Yeah, like you said, he's talked about how much he loves playing just safety, and he's been around the football like we're used to seeing with him when he's playing safety. Throughout this camp, had multiple takeaways we mentioned on the live stream a few days ago when there was a tip ball line of scrimmage, he was the one that went down with the football.
Speaker 2: Some guys just find themselves.
Speaker 3: Around the b Mike Edwards was that way too, just kind of always around the football, and when Chamari is playing safety, kind of feels like he's always around the football. So I think, you know, with our secondary overall, we've talked about how it has the potential to be maybe even deeper this year if guys can reach their full potential. I think having players that can fill that slot role and a lot of Shamari go back and play traditional safety again just makes this group better and deeper.
Speaker 2: So I'm pretty excited about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the play you mentioned the interception happ at the goal line. I also saw him in red zone fill a gap and physical against the run against Breshard Smith. So again with the pads on, Shamari Connor looks very good. Another guy, and I was curious how he would be because I just I think he's on a bit of a meteoric rise here. I guess that doesn't make sense. He's a meteoric rise. That's the left guard. Kingsley matia and with the pads on, he looks fast and he looks physical, whether he's pulling or doing a play side. I think we have an emerging story there because we know the other two guys to his right, Trey Smith and Creed Humphrey, are Pro Bowl level players, but Kingsley's playing like it could be a potential pro bowler.
Speaker 3: I think he looks comfortable and confident. Think about last year, he was kind of learning the position on the fly, did a little bit of it at the end of the season a couple of years ago. And remember Zach Allen in that Week eighteen game didn't have a single pressure on. Carson wentzon that one and told Kingsley afterward, hey, you're pretty good at this. At Kingsley's first ever start at guard. Then last year was kind of an experiment. Can he do that throughout the entire year? And the answer is yes. I think he showed us some really good things throughout the season, but it was still new to him. I think he's coming into this camp. You can tell he's comfortable and confident in his ability. He knows what he's doing. And one thing we always talk about is the importance of guys being able to go out there and play fast. You're not thinking too much. And I don't think Kingsley has to think too much right now. He knows how to play the position. He can go out there and play fast, and we're seeing it so far, and we had high hopes. But again, before the pads come on, it's just impossible to evaluate these guys. Since the pads came on earlier this week, we've been pretty impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got something going on there with the offensive line. Another one is tied in Noah Gray. Really good camp and arguably his best camp yet. But once the pads came on, he just looks physically different. You just talk to him, and we're going to feature him on a live stream. You can find that too. But the fact that Noah looks more physical, he's made better plays. Two wonderful catches in the red zone a couple days ago. But Noah looks like he's poised. Remember that spurt he had a couple of years ago. And if he can take the heat off and he and Walker both take the heat off Kelsey in the red zone especially, then you're not gonna have guys like biting, pinching and just driving three guys into the ground with kelse If, Noah grays a threat on a consistent basis and to be physical. Keep in mind he has to do a lot of things. I just talked to him about the fact that he has to play in line tight in, he has to play slot. But people go, what if you have to use a fullback. He's the fallback. He's the h back of this team. Yeah, but he's better suited to do it because I think he looks better physically, especially the upper body, and when the pads came on, he's played really really well.
Speaker 3: That practice a few days ago that you're talking about was reminiscent of when he had four touchdowns in two weeks, two against the Bills and then two against the Panthers. It looked a lot like that Bill's game because all of his touchdowns were red zone touchdowns. I think he had four total if you include seven on seven. He was just everywhere in the red zone a couple of days ago, and that's the kind of player he can be. His numbers dipped a little bit last year, but rewind the clock two years ago. Just a really effective weapon for this team, especially in the red zone and I think this is where having an effective running game is going to help everybody, because if you have an effective running game in goal to go or red zone situations, it's going to open up situations and opportunities. I think for players like Noah Jared Wiley has looked really good throughout this camp as well. Looks strong, looks physical. Keep in mind, all of last year he was kind of rehabbing that knee injury. His rookie season was wiped out by that, and last year didn't appear until halfway through the season, and even then still kind of getting your confidence back. He looks strong, he looks physical, and he looked good throughout this camp. And Jake Brenningstool is another one where you kind of put him on the shelf. Last year got hurt in training camp. We were so excited about what he could do, but got hurt in mid August. But he's back now and looked great. We made a lot of highlight reel kind of catches up the middle. So the whole tight end room in general, we don't have a lot of bodies right now, not a super deep room in terms of personnel, but the players that we do have behind Travis Kelcey obviously have been pretty impressive, and I'm excited about those guys. Let's keep it going now into the preseason.
Speaker 1: They're asked to do so much in the tight end position and tons of blocking. That's what we don't Rewy's pinpoint, because we want to see the catches in the yards and the touchdowns, but they must block. And in the case of both Noah Gray and Jared Wiley, Matt they've got to be impact special teams players. They have to become, if not four cores, three cores, two cores, special teams players, and we've seen Noah do it, if Jared Wiley can do it on a consistent basis, all of a sudden, that tight end room can have more impact than fans think. But to me, it's not a luxury. It's a necessity from those guys to make the jump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so too, And really with Wiley and with Brenning Stool, I think they were kind of wild cards coming into this camp, like what do we have there, just because we haven't seen them a lot on the field, and I've come away pleasantly surprised by both of them, where I think we might have something in both those guys. I was really excited about Wiley a couple of years ago because at TCU he led all FBS tight ends and touchdown grabs. I was like, this guy can be a redzin weapon for us. Well, the injury happens, he's a rookie and then, like I said, wipes out most of last season as well. We just haven't had a chance to really see what he can do. And really in this camp he looks healthy, looks strong, getting a lot of looks. So we'll see if that continues now into the preseason.
Speaker 1: Another one, This may not be a surprise, but once the pads went on here, George Karloff just took off. There was Tuesday practice with short yardage. It did some goal line and the offense did a really good job and or Noah Gray had a touchdown catch in short yardage, but the defense kind of felt some pressure to respond with the next day and a lot of red zone work, long drive drill and George Karloff just was spectacular. And the fact that he can play physically, we know that what he can do. There's a lot of sacks, pass just tipped. He's makes some big plays in the playoffs in the regular season, but I talked to him offline a bit about just him being more physical. He's kind of the defensive version of Noah Gray in a way. In the fact, when the Pads came on, though, George has really shown up. He's showing quickness and strength.
Speaker 3: You think George likes having a player like Peter Woods, Oh in the middle.
Speaker 2: He's another one.
Speaker 1: When the Pads came on, Oh and I were both won And what Yeah, Peter Wow looks like Aaron Donald. What about the Pads betteran Pets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Peter Woods is legit.
Speaker 3: Spags will say that he has a long way to go and there's a lot of little things he needs to clean up, but the talent is obviously there, and Peter Woods is going to be a good player for us kiros Toga as well and Omar Norman lot when he's back healthy.
Speaker 2: But all those guys helped George.
Speaker 3: Carl loftis because last year, outside of Chris Jones, we just didn't have a lot of push on the interior of our defensive line, and that puts a lot of pressure on players like George where they're being double teamed. You just don't have a chance to really get to the quarterback. I think looking at this year, with the talent we have on the interior, in addition to Chris Jones, it's going to open up so many opportunities for players like George Ashon Galotti and r Mason Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so we continue to look too for special teams players and again that those are played in space, right, You've got to play in space. But when you put the pads on, you know, I always get stune when when fans will try to put on pads like you've gone on today.
Speaker 3: I got them on and just try to I've got a helmet here too. I think MIT should put on the helmet. Unfortunately we have a head to headset.
Speaker 2: It's not going to work. But yeah, I got the helmet ready to go. Yeah, I think I sleep. I told twelve.
Speaker 3: Year old me that I could put one of these on. Do you know what I would say? But here we are, uh got adviser even how about that?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool. But we've watched then on special teams too, some guys that could potentially and these are some sleeper guys. But Kevin Knowles, who now we'res thirty five. He wore thirty eight, but now la Jerry Sneed's back on the roster, so he had to yield the number. But a guy like Melvin Smith and people don't know who he is, he's you know, he's been a round a while practice squad. But guys like that that show up physically on special teams when the pads are on our guys that end up making plays throughout the season.
Speaker 3: Big time speed from Melvin Smith, Southern Arkansas grad.
Speaker 2: I think he had too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he had a lot of production in terms of like pick sixes and big time returns because of his explosive ability.
Speaker 2: He's a great athlete.
Speaker 3: And I feel like I mentioned this every episode now, but one of your trademark terms is crock pot guy. Well, Melvin Smith is a great example of that because spent all of last season on the practice squad, undrafted free agent before that. You bring him in, bring him into the system, gets to be around this defense, be around Stees Bagnello, see how the whole thing works. And now he has a chance to maybe make the team. We'll see how he does throughout the rest of training camp in the preseason. But Yeah, Melvin Smith is turning heads up here, I'd say, and let's see if he can keep it going.
Speaker 1: I've always wandered to do this always throughout my life.
Speaker 2: Is this, Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go go baby, like we're getting ready to run on the field. I always tell you that I wish he's back in Smith's Center with me. We ran on the field to take on the heathen Phillipsburg Anthers. But I kind of feel that way today.
Speaker 3: I always thought it could be like a Danny Woodhead type of player, you know, a little scat back.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I can do it.
Speaker 1: You can do that. That's perfect fit. Just on our team, not the you know, on the other team, not on the Chargers. No, no, no, I hated Dawson with him, but I'm on any other team except our teams in their division. But anyway, there you go. We want to have a special defending the Kingdom. To talk about pads and if you follow me at all on x slash Twitter, you know the day before pads. It's tradition, right and I've done it for years. The day before pads. Always put tomorrow dot dot dot pads and look at the field. If you've played football at any level. The day before you start practicing pads, your stomach churns. But once you put them on, man, there's nothing like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're ready to go and you find out, well, once again, who is going to be a player for us? You know, OTAs are one thing. The first week or sell training camp is one thing. But these days, particularly after you've put the pads on and taken them off and I'll put them back on, you find out who's going to help us win.
Speaker 2: It's exciting. So we'll close this way.
Speaker 1: For your spouse for an anniversary gift, go buy them a full set of NFL pads. Do it and put it on and walk around the block and go, how's that feels?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tackleing?
Speaker 1: Uh? The Amazon driver comes up? Where am I tackle them? And uh yeah? And bring out the doughnut and do some practice tackling. Invite the neighbors over. Nothing like it because it's life. And thanks to the folks at Mosaic that make this possible here at training camp. They're spectacular. They've been great help to you and me as well. But Mosaic is the official presenting sponsor of Chiefs Training Camp. But go get the pads on, and turn the neighborhood upside down.