Speaker 1: Hello the Internet. Welcome to season two hundred and ninety eight, Episode three of The Daily Zeitgeist. This is still a production to iHeartRadio, and it's still the podcast where we take a deep dive into American's share consciousness. It's Thursday, August third, twenty twenty three. Shout out the Geist child is six months old officially on this day. Blessings to him and to her majesty. Also, it's National hair Gloss Day. It's National Grab some nuts Day, which they come out actual, you know, like peanuts and batons, shit, National IPA Day, National Georgia Day, Hey, shout out the homestate of my grandmother, and National Watermelon Day. So we've got it all going on here. My name is Miles Gray, aka the Lord of Blankersham, and I'm thrilled to be joined find my guest co host, as I call it, the only co host that I can ever trust. When Jack is out the building, I could give you a long winded introduction like I always do, but simply put, this man is simply the best, better than all the rest, and that hamburger meat that's just hair on his chest. Please Welcome to the mic, Jackie. Oh what Neil got do, got do?
Speaker 2: It was Neil, but the second.
Speaker 1: Hand e motion, Oh.
Speaker 3: What up niggas? We are here, we are back, we are in it. Can I You know, I always I always worry. I always worry.
Speaker 2: When you know, listen, when we have a new when we have a new guest, we're gonna get to We're gonna get to our guest soon.
Speaker 1: Always worry.
Speaker 2: They're like, who the fuck is this dude coming in? Oh? Talking to the negro I always acknowledge the Negroes first, and then everybody. You know, you're just on the ride behind. Yeah, yeah, we love everybody.
Speaker 1: First things first, My people come first, you know what I mean, people come first?
Speaker 2: You know, people come first.
Speaker 1: You know, I have to ask you something. I was at karaoke on the on the weekend. They had no Tina Turner songs on the fucking on the that on the hardware. I was like, this is that.
Speaker 2: Means I gotta go there and the first NI I gotta say as soon as I walk through the doors, what's up my niggas?
Speaker 3: Because people there.
Speaker 1: It felt like no, it felt like the fucking song list is when bars do that ship where they're like, we don't serve Hennessy and you can't wear hats here, you know what I mean when you're like, I get.
Speaker 3: Hey, you can't sing black music.
Speaker 1: They didn't have Montel. They didn't have Montel Jordan's this is how we do it. I'm still show they have wild But then they're also like a lot of even like the white people that were there were like, man, this is this is lacking. It's of course, but anyway.
Speaker 2: Even even the most racist motherfucker like Roland.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, there's no word, Yeah, singing Fogerty the whole night. Come on now. But anyway, let's get to our guest. We are thrilled to be joined in the third seat by a very talented human being. I gotta say, I don't know what this person doesn't do, but I'll tell you what they are doing right now. They got a single coming now August eighth, okay, because because music runs through their blood. Also, they got a film that's crushing the festival circuit right now, and we might get into that a little bit later. And also a podcast called trust Me talking about cults and extreme beliefs, which kind of that kind of intersects with today's topic. Giving all the Trump stuff going on, So please welcome to the microphone, Lola.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me real singer.
Speaker 2: We got a real singer. Had drop some Lola.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your favor what's your favorite karaoke teck?
Speaker 4: You know, I never do karaoke because I feel too awkward because people are like, oh, she's a real singer, and the expectations are too high. And I also don't drink, so I can't like wile out, you know what I mean. But when I'm by myself, it's torn by Natalie and Brulia.
Speaker 2: Wow. Hell yeah, faith so good?
Speaker 1: Right, Like when people don't respect that part, you know what I mean, I get a little upset, you know what I mean. Yeah, I like though that you were like you're a kind god too, where You're like, let me not just ether the whole party right now with my pipe. So I will just sit back and say, no, that was great, that was great. I'm not singing today, don't worry.
Speaker 4: About No, I'm not even that kind of singer, you know. Like I can't belt like other people can belt. I feel like my musical theater friends, they're better at karaoke than me. I'm like, I'm good at singing. My songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, all right, let me let me give you something. Let me give you a track next time you go to karaoke. You don't have to sing, just do stand by eminem or some shit. You know you can, but you can sing a little, you can sing a little part.
Speaker 1: You know you do the rat me.
Speaker 2: You gotta do the fourth verse, like you know, you gotta do the fourth verse.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm on it.
Speaker 1: Who are your like, who are your favorite kind of like because if you're not a powerhouse singers, who are your sort of like softer voice vocalists that you that you kind of put your pantheon of great singers?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't I feel like great singers. It just depends on what kind of thing you're talking about. But I love Fiona Apple. Oh yeah, I love like an angsty, throaty, like kind of fucked up sounding voice can say fuck right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, only but only when we talk about I said.
Speaker 2: I started the podcast with what up niggas you can?
Speaker 1: That would be wild? I was like, hold on, no, no, no, we're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 3: Now, come on, this is PG thirteen over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fiona Apple, Yeah, fetch the bolt Cutters. Great one, that's the bull Cutters.
Speaker 3: You know it's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Who else?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 4: I love I love like classic jazz singers, so I love like El Fitzgerald.
Speaker 1: And okay, oh, classing up to join it.
Speaker 4: But also, you know, I'm getting really into this new Norwegians, but you know that that will come later. When you asked me about the media, I've been.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic. Was it reminiscent? Like I'm trying to think, well, who's the last big Scandinavian thing I remember, like Leaky Lee Back.
Speaker 4: Like I love Yeah, I know it's crazy how old old that album is now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel very oldly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was I remember being like I was like, I love her voice. It's like effortlesser. Anyway, we're going to get into that and plenty more of but first we got to tell our listeners what we are going to be talking about today. Obviously, the biggest news of the day is that Twitter will now allow you to hide your blue check mark if you feel like you're taking too many l's in public for having that. So we'll get to that and then some lighter news, I guess Jesus. I mean, I guess we'll talk about Donald Trump getting indicted again, fucking so many indictments. Yeah, we'll see what happens. I mean, there's a fourth on the way to so cool, we'll talk about that. Yeah, and then we'll we'll get into Barbie how it's become one of the biggest political tools of twenty twenty three, with every side arguing it's for them or against them. It's it's like a rorshact test I guess of a film. So we'll get into some of that and plenty more, But first we'd like to ask our guest, which is low Lablanc, what is something from your search history that's revealing about you know, reveal something about who you are, what you're interested in.
Speaker 4: Uh So I was looking at my most recent search results and this morning, the last one was observed particle theory.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh, okay.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 4: And it's actually something I don't know that much about yet, so that's why I was googling it. But it's that thing in quantum physics where the particles behavior changed upon observation. Yes, so a lot of people who a lot of people reference that as like, we don't know, there's so much that we don't know yet. There's so much that like maybe science has no idea, like there isn't evidence for it yet, but there will be eventually. Anyway, I just was very curious.
Speaker 2: About that little rabbit hole. Yeah going down?
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay with this? What kind of shit are you into? Lola? Like you're like old on man, because you know, I like the idea that just the mere observation affects these particles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea, this.
Speaker 2: Is the smart This is the most educational smartest like search and I've heard everybody else will be up here like, oh man, I was up here searching about you know how quick your toenails grow?
Speaker 1: You up here?
Speaker 2: Like let's talk about quantum fits.
Speaker 4: But I don't know about it yet. I don't know about it yet.
Speaker 1: That's look, are you is any of this due to any of the hearings about UAPs and non non human intelligence? Does that intersect at all with any of this or how We're like, you're into this kind of shit, You're into quantum physics, quantum mechanics. What what do you make of all of the U A u AP shit going on? I mean, like.
Speaker 4: I'm a science Bay, So like I'm just kind of waiting to see what happens. Like I feel like one guy saying stuff is not really enough evidence. But I'm really excited to see what more comes of it, because yeah, open, I'm on that and shit, you know, like I'm really excited about the feasting. But yeah, I'm just like I'm someone who's like trying to figure it all out all the time and figure out like what we have evidence for what we don't have an evidence evidence for, And I'm just trying not to buy into like the first thing that people tell me, So I'm just googling what we have evidence for.
Speaker 1: Does that have to do with just sort of your upbringing and life of being just a little like not taking people at their word when they say things are one way?
Speaker 4: I think absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, yeah, I'm sure we'll get into that too.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is going to be therapy love, but.
Speaker 1: Yes, shout out, shout out all my alien fans who are going to go to the First Interstate Bank formerly First Interstin Bank building in Los Angeles to welcome the aliens.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And they put that blue light on us and then vaporize us.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: I I'm gonna people are gonna be mad at me for this. But astrology. I think astrology is overrated, highly.
Speaker 3: Overrated science science, of course, but.
Speaker 4: I think that, like I'm always like, yeah, everyone knows astrology has no evidence and isn't real. And then I talked to like person after person after person after person who's like, what do you mean? I'm a Taurus and you're totally sagittarius. Although I will say that recently I read I was looking at my friend's like birthday book where it gives you your reading of your exact day of your birth, and it was like one hundred percent accurate. But I was like, not evidence, not real evidence.
Speaker 1: I'm the embodiment of that evidence. Not real really.
Speaker 4: On my page it said is skeptical, does not accept information without digging further. So a lot of different create has a lot of different creative pasts. I was like, fuck, that's like.
Speaker 3: That's actually that's actually pretty I mean, I get that too.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in it. But then somebody would be some you would hit me with some libra shit, and I'm like damn right, you know who? How fuck you know me? Man? But also like, all right, people have been writing this stuff for centuries now. At a certain point, if I write five thousand pages about a tourist, one of them is gonna probably line up with like, you know, so I'm on your side. Even even even you can still stay skeptical. You just happen to find the one page I know out of the five thousand totally was in line with your personality and ship that you believe and stuff like that. I get it.
Speaker 4: It's a broken clock thing. I think it's so funny though, because I'm always like I'm willing to stay open, you know, I'm like, Okay, what side do you think I am? What like qualities am I exuding? No one ever gets never get it right. And I'm a triple sage. I'm a triple sage.
Speaker 3: Well shit, I'm a liper Leo Leo baby, that's listen. I will say this.
Speaker 2: I will say that I date in Los Angeles. That's right, That's how I know all that.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's the lead? Wait? Wait, you got you know, you got.
Speaker 3: You know, you get the co star, you get the co star ship.
Speaker 2: And it's the way to flirt or it's the way you know, people be like, oh, what's your coat? Star? And I gotta text my mama at three am talking about when was I born? And ship and and then you and then it lets you know, like your I don't know the exact but the first one is like your birth monk, and then the other two are like your personalities or what you like. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just go right to them things like least look at our compatibility.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I said, like a friend of mine who's whose family's from India talking about how you know, like a lot of times, reading the charts is like step one in making decisions. So it's interesting to see in this kind of like emphasis for like centuries. But then be like, come on, y'all, but also that's fucking me to a fucking tea. How yeah, Like I remember back when I was like, well, super lonely. I remember, like just after college, like heartbroken, trying to find like a partner. I would be on Susan Miller's astrology zone and shit be like give me some answers, Susan Miller, So I know, and that shit just what it is is like I get it. Too, because when your confirmation bias is strong, that ship will fucking it's gonna be hitting, like the fucking God's honest truth.
Speaker 2: So we all need.
Speaker 4: Ways to structure our realities because the world is chaos and scary. Also it's just fun to be like, are we supposed to be together? Are we a bat match?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? I'm sorry, I don't degeminize. I can't handle I can't handle the due duality of you. Sorry, what's something you think is underrated? Lola?
Speaker 4: I just rewatched this rom com Something's Got to Give from the early two thousands. It's about older love, and I think it's a classic and it is not considered one, and it should be.
Speaker 3: It is, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: No, It's always like when Harry met Sally. It's always like the Meg Ryan ones. Maybe You've got mad, Yeah, yeah, yeah, but no one talks about Something's got to Give, Something's got to give? Its fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Nobody really talks about it until but everybody who but everybody who talks about it loves it. It's like one of the It's like my best friend's wedding, Like nobody ever talks about it, but like everybody who likes it, or whenever it's brought up, people are like, oh, yeah, man, that's a good ass movie. Yeah.
Speaker 4: People think it's the same movie, is as good as it gets, which is not? Which is it's a different movie also starring Jack Nicholson. But I will say it was very ahead of its time. You know, you have an independent woman in her sixties who's a playwright. She's very successful in her own right. And you have the like playboy older man who's only dating women under thirty many he's like, wait a minute, what am I doing? I should be with someone who's got her ship together and who's you know, worthy opponent? Anyway, I love.
Speaker 2: It is favorite rom com or do you have one?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's that one. But I also really love You've Got Mail. I miss I missed this era. You know, I want this era.
Speaker 2: To come back.
Speaker 4: Did you guys have Senner Jennifer Lawrence one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thought I thought.
Speaker 2: Let me tell first of all, I thought it was very cute and very fun, but all right, as a singer, can I ask you and you know that rendition of man eater in the middle have you seen it? Have you seen it? Lola.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait okay, he.
Speaker 3: Started saying a man eater.
Speaker 2: I turned to I turned to the person I went with, uh in the middle of the in the middle of that.
Speaker 3: Scene, I was like, this should have spectacular. Yeah, it was so good.
Speaker 1: The progression, the chord progression was really different, and I like there were some like chord inversions under like under the vocals, and I was like, that's a new way of expressing that note from that song. I definitely the exact same thing. I was like, is he fucking killing it?
Speaker 3: I know, is great, but it was so good.
Speaker 4: He was such a it's like a.
Speaker 1: Very it was so good. Yeah, And it was wild to see Matthew Broderick, you know, like because we don't see him that often and now I'm like he was just just playing that like old liberal dad broo. It was so funny. But yeah, like I feel like one like that is kind of like a mashup of more like you know, are like sort of extreme American pie type comedy with like the underpinnings of a rom com, but yeah, like the sort of like what's gonna happen with my my my little bookstore and the big chain is moving in a are we just so fucking cynical. We're like, nah, man, we need to see Jennifer Lawrence beat ass butt naked on the beach for us to be like, yeah, that that really warmed my heart.
Speaker 4: I don't know, no, I think I think, well, first of all, it is actually heartwarming, genuinely, aside from the like first half of semi raunchyatness or whatever. But I feel like we all were kind of missing that culturally, we like want movies that just make us feel good and remember what it is to love and not like just be scared all the time. I don't know, I think it's coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. That's why that's why I can't quit Hallmark movies on the holidays.
Speaker 3: You should lifetime Hallmark Baby. Them movies used to hit.
Speaker 1: I like Hallmark because they don't allow magic because and that would that would presume that there are forces other than Jesus Christ that work in our world. That used to be the rule. Will I'll always say, yeah, they used to be like harm like, they don't like movies that have magic as it relates to the Christmas time because then it is yeah, so upset.
Speaker 2: But isn't that the channel isn't that the channel that like touched by an angel came home and ship. Yeah magic if it's angel magic, magic, Yeah, Jesus magic.
Speaker 1: That's called Jesus magic. That's Christ. Christ's love is not magic. How dare you? Okay, that's just that is the fuel for our salvation.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Shit, all right, we're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back to talk about I don't know, we'll figure it out when we get back and we're back. I guess. Look, all jokes aside, we should talk about Donald Trump from getting indicted for a third motherfucking time, the hat trick of indictments. He's done it. While I think this is all relates to the you know, overturning of the election in twenty twenty and January sixth, all that wild fun stuff. And I think again, for most people, we saw that play out in real time. Like we saw him continually begin to, you know, ramp up the rhetoric around the stolen election. We saw evan of him, you know, leaning on people in a fake elector scheme, telling Mike Pence to fucking you know, delay the certification of the election. We all saw it, but now we're at the point where it's been articulating an indictment, and yeah, it's interesting to watch. Basically Fox News and all the right wing news outlets just fully melt down with what apparently they are saying the steaks are. Jesse Waters on the Five called it political germ warfare and said, if it goes to trial, we'll have to quote go back and find fraud in the twenty twenty election. I'm sure they would love to do that because he did such a good job the first time showing that all happened. And then Greg guttfelt on the same show, he was so out of it he just held up like doodles. He was just holding up doodles of like dudes and hats, and I'm not sure like what that exactly. The point of that was kat Abu, who's on Twitter who does a lot of like monitoring of Fox News segments, put together just kind of like this mixtape of the reaction to the third indictment on five News, and I just want to the it's they're ramping it up, the rhetoric is getting ramped up. I'll play a little bit of it. It's very dramatic, but this is kind of how Fox News is talking about everything. Goal equivalent of the French guillotine, a political.
Speaker 5: War, Crome, a junk indictment, the shredding of our constitution.
Speaker 1: They're going full Banana Republic, full third World on this third World Banana Republic, full Banana Republic. Hell yeah, just so you know, we've gone full.
Speaker 3: Republic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I'm going full j crew.
Speaker 3: They got the memoir at the beginning of the day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all right, everybody, the word of the day is banana Republic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they've gone full third World. And yeah, we saw Stephen Miller was saying that this is the legal equivalent of the French KIETI during the reign of terror. Oh my god. And then we had Lara Trump come on to defend her father in law, who's just basically said, quote, he did exactly what you would want a president to do.
Speaker 3: Following in all, okay, okay, yeah he did. He did leave office.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But then it was wild. Somebody pointed out that she was apparently she was live on Fox and Newsmax at the same damn time somehow, and with different outfits on and somebody I'm sort of like, I'm sorry, who the fuck is lying about being live right now? Because there's no way you're live on Newsmax and Fox News with different fucking outfits on. We're still not sure what happened there, but again, I think it all speaks to the chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you have Jesus magic on your side, you can do anything.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, mechanics. It's yeah, depend observation.
Speaker 1: I affected the particles of her clothing to become something else because my vision is also because just to get back to that, it's sort of like the idea that even the act of looking upon something is affecting, like the waves around it. Right. Yeah, anyway, shout out to Jesus for that. He was talking about that in the Bible. And then Newsmax they had Rudy Juliani on, and my man is just he's he's getting bad. He sounded not as articulate as he normally does, which is not at all. But I'll just play a clip of him talking about the real indictment needs to be for Jack Smith.
Speaker 6: The strange thing here is the people lying, but the people bringing this and this, this count they have here conspiracy against right, they should be indicted for conspiracy against right for bringing this indictment.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a conspiracy against Okay, cool, yeah he said that.
Speaker 4: So does he seem especially old all of a sudden, I feel like.
Speaker 2: Drunk?
Speaker 1: He drinks, he's his last. In the last year and a half of that administration, he was definitely having wild ass appearances where people were like, I just saw this dude drunk as fuck at the cigar bar in Manhattan, and then they then you would see him on Fox like two hours later, and he's like, oh my god, I think again too. He's just a fucking He's a creep. So we all love to see him. Yeah, he's a creep.
Speaker 2: He was drunk enough to literally, as a former politician on the campaign trail, find himself in a Borat movie. Oh yeah, right, that's like that tells you everything you need to know about Rudy right there, Like how dumb? How dumb? Are you so dumb?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So you know, we have we've heard everybody the First Amendment thing that's coming up a lot, and we'll talk about that in a second. But then on bright part, they implied that Jack Smith would be seeking the death penalty against Trump. It says jack Smith's charge against Trump include potential death penalty. Now why do they say that there's no evidence that that's even close to what jack Smith is pursuing. But what they're pointing out is that the conspiracy against rights can result in the death penalty if quote death results from the actions covered under this provision and somebody did die.
Speaker 2: So specifically, the fact that they the fact that they are saying that the death penalty is an option, is an admission of guilt to the fact that he because you.
Speaker 1: Know, she did die, so therefore people give them the death penalty. And that's what's really interesting is watching this sort of cognitive dissonance play out in such an extreme way. Already Trump has come screaming with his two pay in hand asking for cash donations. The email he sent this morning quote patriot with Crooked Joe's corrupt doj having unlawfully indicted yours truly yet again, reports indicate that I can now face it combined five hundred sixty one years in prison from the left witch hunt, that six lifetimes. There's only one message, and he goes on and on. It's like a long ranting thing. Yeah you could, I'm looking at five hundred and sixty one years. I'm like, sir, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But he goes on and be like, he's like, will you help me fight this Marxist government. You're like, this ain't no Marxist government. If you did people, never mind, I wish you were theory. Yeah, it's like, bring the Marxist aliens, now, solve this. But yeah, so he's begging. And the main thing we're seeing right now is the maga pundits are all kind of saying that this is some version of his First Amendment rights being violated. That's the sort of logic that they want to pursue. They're saying he was merely exercising his First Amendment rights by saying these things out loud. And now they're saying it's a crime because he didn't believe that the election was rightfully won by Joe Biden. And again he's trying to They're trying to just create some kind of logic out of this indictment that doesn't acknowledge that Trump was doing all kinds of shit, not just shit he was saying out of his mouth that his actions are also part of a quote larger conspiracy to subvert the election in the will of voters and undermine, you know, people's right to vote. So and then the part of this indictment sort of makes that clear. Quote. The purpose of the conspiracy was to overturn the legitimate results of the twenty twenty presidential election by using knowingly false claims of election fraud to obstruct the federal government function by which those results are collected, counted, and certified. It's not why was he just lying all the time? No, just we saw it. There was a fake elector scheme. There was calls to other governors. It's it's not it's not something where they're like, it's just bad. It's misinformation, is all you guys are trying to put them in bords for.
Speaker 3: It's just what he thought it was, right.
Speaker 4: He wasn't just expressing an opinion.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, yeah, very clear, very clear, is very is very I I've been on record on this podcast many times saying that I think anybody that thinks this man is going to jail should not get their hopes up. You know, I don't think that's what any of this is about. Is him facing jail time. I mean, he should face jail time, but he won't but I I do think that we're seeing a very interesting thing that he is using all these indictments to just line his bid. He doesn't care about the presidency. He didn't care about the presidency the first time, Like Jail, I can't wait for the documentaries to come out, if they will where Like you know, Miles, I'm sure you've heard this too, Lola, I'm sure you've heard this.
Speaker 1: He was pissed he won the first time. I think Malania cried, right, isn't that the story from election? I should you don't want to.
Speaker 2: They didn't think they were winning. But like you know, and all it's happening all over again. I think like the bigger thing that we are seeing is we and I don't know if this will happen in our lifetime. Maybe it will. Maybe Jen Alpha can help us out, it can save us. You really need to we need to fix like he should not be able to run for president when you are literally under indictment after indictment after indictment, right now, Like that's not like that what that's insane, that's insane. I couldn't get a job in McDonald's if I was under like multiple indictments and this man is running for the highest office, and like we should be able to change the Supreme Court, just like there's so much shit I think it needs to change.
Speaker 1: It reveals too that, you know, the status quo is to be like, yeah, man, if you're kind of powerful enough, like you're gonna break some fucking laws. So why are we going to keep that from running for president? But I think this is all part of like why we need laws that are actually robust, that protect voting rights and shit like this, where it's just enshrined in law to be like, well, you can't even begin to try and test the results of an election, at least in this such a cynical way.
Speaker 4: People are so convinced that it is actually a witch hunt. I mean, I don't think that Trump is actually convinced it's a witch hunt. I don't think his people are, but I think they've convinced so many of the American people that it is. How can you actually achieve any change when no one can agree on what the reality of the situation is. It's all just being like propagandized, and it's so hard to like figure out how to fix anything when we don't even agree on the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get worn down with propaganda. It leads to apathy, and that's exactly what they need. And it's just clearly it's funny too, because you're kind of seeing it on the right where they're also like, fuck, man, my god, what am I supposed to say about this one this time? Like can't we just pretend like if we don't think it's bad and then keep moving? But there is something really interesting and going on with polling not interesting obviously, there are groups of people who just don't give a fuck what Trump does, no matter what. But it looks like the January sixth case isn't really moving the needle that much for independents and Republicans or even Democrats, because everyone is already so entrenched in their view of what happened that it just feels like a rehashing of shit that it's like yeah, I know, like it's like, yeah, okay, we get it, he didn't fucking steal election, or yeah, that motherfucker stole the election or whatever, or I don't know. But it looks like the document's case is actually the thing that has begun to like shift poles a little bit. They've like last October it said thirty four percent of independence said that a crime had been committed in that case. The latest pull it grew to forty six percent, because I think we just see more new evidence of like hearing him on tape saying like talking about documents or learning like with new indictments that he was telling people to like, you know, vaporize the fucking surveillance camera footage and shit like that. And then for Republicans, since last October, the percentage of Republicans said they believe that Trump had committed a crime handing classified documents rose from nine to twenty five. But make no mistake when they follow up with a question about, like now, with that affect your support going into election, they said, if the fucking election was today, I'd be fucking wearing my maga hat. I don't care if that happened. So it's very very cult vibes. We always talk about that of just truly I will not There's no information that you can show me that will change my mind because I'm all in on this perspective.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think unfortunately that is just kind of the case or where we are today as an entire society and country where the elections have become very much that, you know, and we're seeing it a lot on the mega side obviously, but you know what happens on the left as well, where it is like you know, where we're not. We are not in a place now where we are and it's for a lot of reasons. And I'm not blaming like us as a collective society. I'm blaming the people who are in power that have kind of led us to this, and also just the world we live in with social media and things like that. But you know, we're not in a place where we are actively like picking the best choices, or we are actively like like debates don't mean anything, or you know, like these things don't mean as much as they used to. It is a popularity contest in any ways, and it is I'm this person on this side, and this is what we are, Bernie Bros. We are Maga, We are Clinton Knights. I don't know if they call it Clinton Nights or not, but you know, like, you know, that's kind of where we are right. I think it sucks.
Speaker 1: I think generally we're just from the conversation, we're like missing like what we actually want as outcomes from our elected officials. And what we want from the government, because the conversations are usually completely devoid of like sort of what speaks to people on a human level. Like there's a lot of policy talk and things like that, and you see people sort of like make appeals to like these sort of like populous talking points, but just in general, like people to each other, aren't it's harder for people to say, like, these are the kinds of policies that would really help my life because we also have a there's such a for the perception of the government is like, I don't know, they do shit that helps sometimes kind of so what's the point of fucking paying attention because my life really doesn't change, And that's a huge chunk of people that are really disconnected from like the ills that our current governmental system is, you know, raining down on people. So there's a lot. Yeah, there's a lot of things to battle.
Speaker 4: It's just so hard to keep your focus on even the issues that do really matter because it feels like there's so much on fire all the time at once, and everybody is like buying for your attention for the issue that's like you know viral that week or whatever. Like climate change is the most important issue to me, But do I forget about it constantly? One because there's so much else that's like, ah, but that's urgent, that's that's certain. I feel like it's it's really a hard time to be a politician who you know, maybe does have something substantive to offer, because it's just like a race for the virality or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and yeah we miss out I also think too because of because of that, and you know, this is not good either that for like some of the politicians that actually have something that they are fighting for and things like that. We have become such a society where like one thing can change that which and sometimes is a very good thing. And sometimes it's just like, well, you know, let's actually allow a person to progress and grow, like as a grow and progress, you know, and we don't. We don't do that as much as we should on like, you know.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, there's a culture of an expectation of purity and perfection that I think is really detrimental to organizing in general.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah. I think. You know, there's the vote blue no matter who crowd, there's the MAGA crowd, and you know, you try and get people to understand that it's the stakes aren't just if Joe Biden isn't president, it's everything that comes along with that, that in the and the tragedies and the whorors that people are experiencing even now with Joe Biden as president. That are societal issues that we refuse to actually grapple with. So until we can, I mean not until But the discourse is so centered around just anything but real substance of policy. Like everyone's talking about Bidenomics right now, and I like, you know, it's like it's a three pillar thing about what Bidenomics is. But ask any person who is not interested in policy what they if they give a fuck about Bidenomic, They're going say fucking no. They'll say, I don't know. Inflation is still fucked up. I mean, I guess it's going down, like gas isn't as high, but like there's still all these other costs of living things that are not being addressed. But we but every day they just point to things like look at the unemployment numbers, and it's such a different metric than what people's lived day to day experiences are. So yeah, we will see where this goes. Again. I am just like with the aliens, I'm like, I'll believe it when I see Trump in court and he can't do his comb over, you know, like the way he normally does, and we get to see that kind of weird hair do that he got going. Until then, you know, I just feel like, well, I'll believe it when I see it, because you know, there's already debate about like is this even a strong case against him? Like what the fuck are we doing? Then? But he at the very least not like in his document's case. The judge that is assigned to this case, it was a you know as an Obama point who apparently has been going the hardest at January sixth insurrectionists. So for every judge Eileen Cannon, there are other judges or it's kind of like youah, no, I'm I'm not really here to fuck around with this case. All right, let's take a quick break. We're gonna be right.
Speaker 5: Back to talk about blue checks and barbies after yes.
Speaker 1: And we're back. And ever since Elon Musk made the blue verification badge a purchasable commodity, people have mostly used it to point out how sad, how loser somebody is for paying eight dollars a month to Ealan to help prop up the Twitter ad business. But I guess I don't know if the sob stories have made it to Twitter HQ because they are now ex whatever. Forgive me, I will never say X. I have to keep reminding myself that it will always be Twitter. Just like there's no meta, it's just Facebook, okay, just like there's no Crypto dot com arena is the.
Speaker 2: Staples Center, just like it's not the Willis Towers, the Seers there.
Speaker 1: You go, exactly. Do you have any local beefs like that, Lola, where the name changed of a beloved structure and you refuse to give it a new name.
Speaker 4: I'm with you on the Staples Center. Christ dot com arena is absolutely a no for me.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm fucking waiting every single day for that headline. It's like, hey, they can't actually fulfill their commitment for the naming rights to the thing, and they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to pull off course I'm.
Speaker 1: Waiting for There's no fucking way. Crypto dot com is still popping right now. No, no way anyway. So on Twitter blues about page, it says the company like just today, like without really any fanfare. If you just look bab just sort of like, oh, hey, we're doing this new thing that basically anybody, any user who's paying eight dollars a month for you know, the edit window for you to edit your posts or like less ads, or get to see more tweets, they will now be able to toggle whether or not people can see their blue check mark. You can now hide your blue check mark in your display name.
Speaker 4: I hate it so much. I hate and what is the best listen man?
Speaker 2: Even though that was my biggest following was on Twitter, being banned from Twitter has been the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 3: I did, yes a whole other conversation. It's dumb, it's very it's really stupid.
Speaker 2: But like I look now, I look at it, and I just like it makes me laugh, like all the ship that's going on with It's just like, what's the point if you if you have a blue check market, you can toggle it on and off and you're paying I can see if you're not paying for it, and you can, like, you know, if you're one of the few that has the blue check mark, you know from Twitter, tackle it on and off.
Speaker 3: But what's the point of paying for it?
Speaker 4: It's just like because you can't do anything if you aren't verified. Like I was trying to DM someone who I don't who doesn't follow me, and I wasn't allowed to do that because I don't pay for the subscription. I cannot DM people who do not follow me. So there are this is like basic functions that do not work anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah on X Yeah, fucking Twitter. I mean it feels like with the Tesla bumper stickers right where you see. I was talking about this the other day. How in La. You know, the the Tesla Y model or whatever is like the most selling vehicle, like new vehicle in California apparently, and I.
Speaker 2: Said it for like fourteen thousand dollars or some shit keeps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, you don't need this window trim, it'll blow off in the wind. But I do see cars more and more that have like these like sorry, I'm driving a Tesla. It's not because of Elon, It's because I like electric car, like apologetic like stickers that preempt someone's criticism of them owning a Tesla.
Speaker 4: Wait, really, I've never seen this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've seen like I've seen at least I see like once a week almost. If I look out for it. Yeah, because there's one that's one was like bought the car before Elon became a dick, like one that I saw. Another one's like anti Elon Tesla Club. There's like a few version, like you know, different iterations of that sentiment. But it feels kind of like that where now I feel like Elon is probably telling the Twitter's like, look, man, I know I'm trashed. So if it helps you to keep giving me money, we will allow you to hide your scarlet badge whatever we're gonna call it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's probably smart if you're going to have done the policies that they have done. Offering that is like a useful option for people.
Speaker 1: Right because they're like, I can't keep getting dunked on when I reply to you Elon. It's so fucked up. They're like, oh wow, where's that eight bucks going? But yeah, it's this is this is the states of that business. But it's funny because it allows people. It allows people.
Speaker 2: To you know, pay for the service that they know is embarrassing, but turn it off because it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think, was there ever something what was did you ever engage in something that you're like, man, I ain't. I ain't fucking letting go of that, but I will hide it because I get I'm gonna get fucking flamed out there for like in it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of what I mean. Yeah, man, I dude, yeah, I got a lot of shit like that. But like now I'm thirty six, I give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, I'm like, yeah, back, what's up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched General Hospitals, So what anybody, Charles, I feel like.
Speaker 4: They need to be cool kind of goes away once you hit thirty and you're like, I like all the most embarrassing bands from the early two thousands, all the alt rock guys. I love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm yarling all day. I mean the way I wear my fucking crocs, dirty ass crocs out. I'm like, I'm sorry, man, life's too fucking short, and I just need to get something here at CBS so I will look like some kind of like vagabond from like if the World ended in two thousand and six.
Speaker 4: But that's cool now, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Now throw some gibbets on them joints.
Speaker 1: And you all, no, I ain't doing gibbets, man, I'm an adult.
Speaker 4: Do you still use Twitter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean not. I never really used it, Like I was never a prolific tweeter. I'm not really a prolific user. Yeah, yeah, I'm not like good at I mean, like I don't I don't have the gift of you know, you know, firing off like the fire tweet. Sure. So really it was more just a place for me to like communicate with other people and and see like other funny people and talented people do their shit. But I use it less and less because just in general, I think it it's very bad for my own mental health, like to be in a thing where like the content that I'm seeing is like bringing up like really awful shit or people being really awful about awful shit when I already know that exists and I don't need to be so vivid all.
Speaker 3: The time totally.
Speaker 1: And then also too like yeah, it's just that's why like threads is kind of funny, because it just feels like you're like a like a Denny's before it opens and it's quieted here.
Speaker 2: It's sweet, It's sweet.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Twitter is just magnifying all the worst parts of humanity and making them seem so much bigger than they actually are. It's not it doesn't make a person feel good.
Speaker 1: It really don't know. But that's why I also hate this ship, because why I'm like, I hate that I'm now being like, thank you Mark Zuckerberg, the person who could do no wrong, like like comparatively, like, okay, you have a one up because you have a better you have a less fucked up version of Twitter. But like, let's be real, We've seen the business practices of all the other businesses and it's led to pain and suffering and genocide totally.
Speaker 4: So it's destroyed all of our brains. But who's going to win their fight is the most important question.
Speaker 1: I feel like we just need chat rooms, you know what I mean? That used to be the place where you could be ugly and anonymous.
Speaker 4: Isn't that chat that's the place where alia happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm a sixteen year old girl, I'm a sixteen year old boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, what's your asl oh? You know? But yeah, I think it's just funny though, like how we are now, like we just have all of these vectors in which we can do ourselves untold amounts of happiness or observe things that are gonna have such a fucking hold on like how we view ourselves or the world. And yeah, I can totally see, like, especially with stuff when like people, you know, when you're posting content and then you get some weird ass trolls and shitsing it coming into your shit. It's like, that's not the experience that you just want as a human being when you're sharing your thoughts or whatever, unless you're a fucking Nazi, in which case give fucked. But anyway, all that to say is that we need to move on to talk about the Barbie movie because it's the everybody's loving it political tool right now. I feel like we talked briefly about how like in like Latin America it's being used just sort of like the Barbie coore aesthetic to sort of align itself with these like larger movements. But man, there's also like democrats being fucking so sad with this shit, and you're trying to use the popularity of the movie to like like sort of prop themselves up. Gavin Newsom, for example, oh god, he did a Twitter thread highlighting the connections between Barbie the character and his policies.
Speaker 2: No he did not.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's like, uh, point a, she's a quote climate champion and I'm also and also an advocate for mental health like.
Speaker 7: Me, yeah, my boy, yeah yeah, that's that's not quite it. Then how come you were like citing with all those companies to to like sort of worker rights.
Speaker 2: But anyway, last time I checked, gab gas wasn't five dollars in barbie Land.
Speaker 1: They said, what has it said? Like the way one of it's word is like number four California is taking action to make sure that every California is supported and has access to mental health resources. Barbie is also an advocate for mental health and has been vocal about normalizing mental health struggles and why reaching out for help is so important. I get that. I understand that as a sentiment about normalizing people being honest about their mental health and like their needs and things. I totally that's It's like the way I've moved and improved my own life. But like, I don't even find I'm like, who is this compelling to? If you're Gavin Newsom, You're like, yeah, like, who's who's this for?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 4: Millennial women?
Speaker 3: Mothers?
Speaker 1: Maybe I feel like but then wouldn't they I feel like I even extend, I would say they have maybe higher intelligence than to be like, well, I don't know, Gavin is Barbie, so.
Speaker 4: But he's literally Barbie though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's also kind of stereotypical Barbie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with his slick back hair. Real piece of shit.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what I'm saying. People just trying to memify their politics and it's not interesting. Do something real you had like.
Speaker 1: The it's not one like Patty Murray, the senator from Washington said this Barbie wants Congress to pass the pro Act to Protect every Worker's Right to organize with Like okay, Like I don't know, you could just say you could just advocate for worker rights, you know, explicitly all the time, and not attribute that to be like this Barbie. John Fetterman also was like getting in on the bar Barbie action. Then Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan. They were even had like they had like a doll that kind of looked like her and they dressed her up in a fucking like pink outfit in a corvette in front of the Capitol building and shit, and they're just also doing this just like, Hey, how this barbie doing work? I wish they would do this with like Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer, we talked about that, like they'd rather not talk about all the like courts, the people they displaced to actually do those tests, and all the cancer clusters that popped up when the fallout blue fucking thousand miles ago anyway, and we won't even talk about what happened with that technology in the World War. But hey, all good. But yeah, so like even even in Michigan, right, the police were even trying to get in on this shit to recruit people to be you know, brutalizers of you know, the working poor and things like that. The Post said they had a picture of like a barbie like in a cop outfit. It's from the Michigan State Police said, this barbie is ready to serve the state of mission again. Oh, when you joined the MSP hashtag, you can be anything from a trooper to a forensic science scientist, a motor carrier officer to a pilot. The possibilities are endless. Explore your future career.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: People were fucking coming at that shit so hard they deleted the ship and act like it didn't even happen.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, it's just this is very it's very funny.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 4: It's just a bunch of adults trying to appeal to young people and doing it really.
Speaker 3: Really badly.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, this is what the kids like, right, Yeah, like when.
Speaker 1: There was so much like hip hop bullshit like in the early nineties, and like, hey, everybody, like, what the fucking kids like the rhyming and the wrapping. We don't know, we don't know what it is, and that's clear from the product we're going to push out. But we think that's what the youth them like. And then like you're saying too. Like in Guatemala, the presidential candidate there Sandra Torres shared a musical TikTok video, pitching herself as a Barbie who wants prosperity for all. So it's a very you know, I guess become a potent visual although I just think it's just the most popular ship and that's why everyone wants to talk about it. But hey, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: I fear like, you know, next summer, like two studios are going to try to like recreate the Barbenheimer Yeah ship. You know, like because this was a natural and I mean, look, I look, I'm an actor, I'm an entertainment. I thought this. I thought it was fun, Like it was fun to be excited about two summer blockbusters that weren't Marvel movies and yeah, Mars movies. But like it was fun. It was fun to like get into it. And I got my picture in the Barbie Box two. You know, I get I it can't post it because we can't promote struck work, but you know, but but still, you know, I I think it's been super fun. But next year is probably gonna be it's gonna be so cringee, so awful, because we're already seeing it now like the Natural, like the Natural, you know, marriage of these two movies was organic, and you know, now we're already seeing so many unorganic like people trying to like hone in on like what was like natural and popular, and it's only gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: So let's see what's coming out in July next year that they will probably try to do this. There's Despicable Me foray, move Fassa The Lion King, which is another fucking live action.
Speaker 2: I'm not the I'm excited, for that one. I'm excited for that one. Move. I'm excited for that one. I'm watching that.
Speaker 1: How was the live action one? I'd like it was, Yeah, I saw a part of it. I was like, No, this ain't this can't be it. This can't be it.
Speaker 4: They're trying to do it with the New Saw movie and Pop Patrol. Oh my god, they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: So No, they all saw it. It's movie. Then they got Then there's Venom three Twisters, Okay, the fucking follow up to the ninety six smash hit Twister.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm exciting.
Speaker 1: I'll put a pin in that I can. I was like, that has a little bit of gravitational pull Twisters.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then you have Captain America Brave New World, and I'm sorry about that. No, So I don't know. I mean, like Twisters with Despicable for I don't know, because I feel like it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't work with movies that are like the fourth sequel to a long existing franchise. It's just not the same thing. These were two original films. I mean, obviously based on Barbie and based on a person, but still like it's not Marvel seventy five, Like it's not gonna work.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and then you get Beetles Juiced to coming out. That'll be dope.
Speaker 2: Now I'm excited for that.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited that if they get Beetle Twister or something.
Speaker 2: Beetle twisters to beetle twist twist that speed.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: Well, Lola, thank you so much for joining us today on the Daily sit Geist. Where can people find you? Follow you? See you? You have a you got your own your own movie coming up, and it ain't scab work to talk about.
Speaker 4: That, right, No, it's a short film, so it's totally independent, totally unrelated to the AMPTP.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I have a new short film that's doing festivals right now called Pruning, which is about a political commentator who inspires a mass shooting and has to contend with her conscience. And I'm on Instagram at Ula Lola, and my website is lolablanc dot com. And my podcast about colts and extreme belief is called trust Me Yes.
Speaker 1: And I believe somebody said they saw you on Netflix recently too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm on a new little Netflix dock you series about colts.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: Also, I forgot my song my new singles coming out also called Trust Me on August eighth.
Speaker 1: There it is eight. Get in the building and is there a work of media of any kind that you've been enjoying that you'd like to share with the class.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I just shopped this video in Norway and my Norwegian team introduced me to this artist called Suzanne Sundfor and she has this song called Alyosha and it is so beautiful. It's about her daughter. It will make you cry. Please check it out.
Speaker 3: So pretty.
Speaker 4: That's my media.
Speaker 1: I like that. And Jackies, how about you, man? Work can find you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, listen, you can always find me in these streets.
Speaker 2: Everybody. We in these streets all the time, every day, all day except when this ninety degrees are hotter than we in the air conditioned rooms. You know what I'm saying. We getting older? You know I started doing we started? When When did this show? When did we start? Because culture kings and then started the same year. Was it twenty eighteen, twenty seventy seventeen? God damn, I was thirty when this shit started. We getting older, man. We can't be on these heat streets at all, right, We can't be doing it at Jackie's niel on every social media thing that I am on. Also, I did confirm I can promote this because it's a game show. Yes, so I think in the next like two to three weeks. They haven't told us to exact their day yet, but my episode of Celebrity Family Feud is gonna be on and popping. So that's gonna be a fun time. See me with Steve Harvey, we roasting each other. It was a good time. It was a good ass time. I can't wait for people to see a comedian feud. Also here in La once a month, always good ass time too.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sirtain, any works in media anything like that?
Speaker 2: You know what, man? I got something from the homie Ben Rosen had been underscore Rosen and he was like Lunchable's inventor eating Pisa.
Speaker 3: What if this was cold and sucked?
Speaker 1: Oh man, be good. On A tweet that I like is from Amber Ruffin. Shout out Amber Ruffin. I was just on her and her sister's podcast, recently tweeted, Yes, but this indictment is special.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know unless they're on the MSNBC where they're like, oh my God, we love it. We stan Jack Smith. It's like, okay, yeah, we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Miles of Gray on all them at based websites, including that one that we're talking about. Then there's the other one that just came out, and then there's that other one that has the pictures all of those I'm there, uh, and also find us at Daily Zeitgeist on Twitter, at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram, got a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zech geus dot com where we post our episodes in our footnotes footnotes thank you, where you can read all the articles we discussed today, as well as a song we are going to ride out on. We are going to go out on this artist called We All Starks w E A L S t A r c k S. The track is called Tao. Okay. The vibe of this track to me is some of this a lot of beats and producers, feels like if k Trinada and Songo made like a Brazilian trap beat together. But it's also housey. That's where it has that k Tranada bounced to it. So if you like those artists, you'll you'll like this track. Okay, check that out. We'll be back later today and tell you what's trending. Until then, see ya bye say