Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, we're back. We're black, we're mad, we're going to talk, pissed off. Yes, but we're also Brown Ambition.
Speaker 2: Welcome Brown Ambition, Welcome back, y'all.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Special shout out to Brown Ambition listener Yolanda yo Yo who is from where did she say Harlem or the Bronx? I forget, but I ran into her this weekend was African American Heritage Day and Westchester County where I live, and she was Weststa west Chester, and yeah, she was working. She was helping her friend out at her booth. Her friend has like a I forget the name now, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry to her friend. Her name is her friends name is Tiffany. But she was like I know you and then there's like the in a good way or like did I'm out step on your foot at the grocery store last week? Kind of but she says that. And when she said I watch your podcast, I was like, you watch it? And she's a YouTube subscriber, so yeah, she's like, I like to I like to watch. My friends like to listen. But I love that you guys are on YouTube. So it's a good reminder too that you can find us and see our faces.
Speaker 1: You want to see lady's girls steadily popping, am I skin glowing? You know you do head out over the Just type in brown amission in the search but bar and you'll find this. I feel like that's gonna be the last little gig we half a little while, y'all know, we got to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to avoid it. Yeah, it's uh, well, I guess the question is like, how did you feel when you got the news Friday morning that we are gonna undo fifty years of president?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I you ever, like like when I used to get spanked as a kid, which was all the time, because wild if I knew I was getting a spanking, you know how you brace yourself You're like, okay, right, And that's how it kind of felt that, Like, you know, as soon as I saw Roe versus way, I I knew and I kind of like braced myself for the impact. But it doesn't actually help, you know, just like when I was going to spanking as a kid, that doesn't actually help.
Speaker 2: You mean, like when the when the when the opinion leaked before? Yeah, so we had like this warning time.
Speaker 3: That warning.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, you know, the teacher tells you, like, so I'm telling your parents, your your dad that you were acting up today. You're like, oh, gosh, I'm pretty sure this is not gonna end well. And then you finally come home and you brace yourself. But as soon as the headline came up, I had not even fully read the headline, but I knew already and it was just like it just was this punch in the gut. But then instantly I feel like now, especially I do this thing where it's like it's too much. So you know, I put up like this like wall because it's too much, which I mean my therapist will say it's not good because you're supposed to feel things, but it's like it's too much to feel, and so yeah, I just it's too much. Honestly, it's all.
Speaker 2: Too much much in all directions. Yeah, it's it's it's so hard to just be a human and go through your day and stay positive and put one foot in front.
Speaker 3: Of the other.
Speaker 2: It's too much. Like on top of having our own personal everyone has their own personal challenges and then and it's hard enough to deal with that, but then you put on top of it these outside forces it's it's so much. But I think, I mean, isn't it. Everyone has their own way of like coping with things. I don't feel like there's a wrong way to do it. I've just felt like an open wound all weekend, Like you know that feeling where you're just like emotionally raw. Anything will start me off, like even the movies like I started to watch. One of my favorite comfort movies is like Hope Floats so dumb. Yes, I love Sandra Bullock. Who doesn't know that Forrest Whitaker. Forest Whitaker directed that movie.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Really, I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Oh man, let's how you know. I was raised by a white woman.
Speaker 3: I was worried about to africas. Oh my girl, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I know it's universal, universal, fine, but I wanted to watch that and feel better. So I paid my little three ninety nine on Amazon Prime to watch that movie. Everything made me cry, like it was just some things were sad. I started thinking about whatever, but just like an open wound. And I think I had just come out of therapy that morning, and I, you know, I go to the park, I did my little therapy call and then I just rolling through my phone, and I was already kind of like emotional from that, but when I got the news, it just just overcame with like deep deep sadness in fear, and I immediately felt like talking, so I didn't like necessarily post right away. I ended up just like recording a video on my phone just with my thoughts, and I didn't. I mean, the anger was there, but it was like the fear and the rage and the inner need to do something, you know. And what I'm great for is that I feel like I did have those couple how long has it been since the opinion leaked, I've had a couple of months or a month or how long, like think about my feelings about the bigger picture, and immediately what I wanted to talk about was how and I and I, you know, when I was talking just to my phone at that point, I would realize, like I want to speak to black and brown women first and foremost. You know, that's my heart, that's what we're here to do. And I wanted the message to be clear that this this action like reversing Roe v. Wade, it's an assault on all women's rights and honestly on everyone's rights because it's not just a women's issue and people who have uteruses. It's not just our issue. It's men as well. But I wanted to specifically speak to black and brown women because we are the ones who are going to be disproportionately impacted by this lack of fundamental health care, you know what I mean. And if it wasn't even that long ago. But I sometimes I think about my younger self and I'll never forget the day when I found out I was pregnant and I was twenty six going on twenty seven, and the world dropped from underneath me. But I was so lucky to have the option to choose a different path for myself. And I haven't really talked about it on Brown Ambition, I mean, that doesn't really come up that often, but I've mentioned it on social media, and honestly, I feel very much about my story, how I feel about everyone's stories is our stories, and no one has the right to it doesn't. I didn't even want to tell people necessarily because the decision is so deeply personal until you have been in that position to make that kind of decision. It's in that moment when I was twenty six, twenty seven when I was making that decision with my partner at the time, who's not my husband, Like I remember feeling, why tell anyone? Literally, it's no one's choice but my own, but ours, you know what I mean. And even then, I didn't even think it'd be a possibility that there'd come a time when a woman wouldn't be able to make the same choice that I did. And what would my life look like if I had not been able to get the care that I needed in that moment. I would not be sitting where I am today, I would not have this business that I have now. My life would have been blown up, you know, and I still would have been one of the lucky ones. I would have been quote unquote fine. But there are women who found out Friday morning, who went there to make the same choice I did, just how many years ago, eight years ago, and they couldn't make that choice. They were turned away, And that fucking breaks my heart. It breaks my heart. And so when I hopped on to start talking about it and I posted it, finally, you know, I realized in that moment, it's actually I'm glad that I I'm glad that I spoke out, and just you know, reminded everyone that, like the impact is going to happen black and brown women, but also reminded my followers, like who the fuck you're you're walking, who you're following, who I am, because some people I realized when I posted that, had another idea about who Mandy money is, and.
Speaker 3: That's a Southern lady R.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they found my page, but you know what, I was just talking to my Mandy money makers about authenticity on social media and sharing your stories so that you're sharing your stories in a way to bring people to you who need to find you, yes, but also sharing it to tell the people who need to lose you where the exit door is, you know what I mean. And it was interesting to me to have that moment and also feel like, Okay, maybe I should do this like once a year just to remind people where I stand. Like a healthy you know, they burn forest down to like have the next trees coming stronger. I feel like, as social media influencers or any like public figure or anyone in general, just remind people who you are consistently so that the people who can find you can find you.
Speaker 3: A cleansing of sorts, a cleanse yes.
Speaker 2: A cleans of sort. Anyway, it's been Yeah, it's been very raw, and I'm I don't know, Tiff. I feel like usually there's this feeling of speechlessness and like, well, there's not much we can do, but I know exactly what we can do, So I want to talk about that, like first and foremost, I think one obviously donating to causes, donating to organizations that are helping women who now can no longer get the health care they need find alternative options in other states. So if you can donate to Planned Parenthood. I've also seen people starting funds to cover travel expenses for women and people with uteruses who want to who have to travel far, you know, to get the care they need. And midterm elections are coming up, y'all. November is coming, and we mentioned that before, but I want to remind y'all. In some states they make sure you have to register far, far far in advance. So if you're not registered right now, register go to vote dot org, vote dot gov, register to vote. And I'm my husband and I we sat down and we talked about like which causes, which political candidates we want to donate to, and living in a state like New York where things are pretty progressive already, and I'm so grateful that immediately the governor and the mayor both said abortion will stay legal here. Okay, but there are states where they're much more on the fringe. And in those states where there's campaigns where the there's a possibility of shift and power. You know, if people who don't believe in a woman's right to choose could be taking over, I think it's important to donate to those campaigns. Those are two I think meaningful things to do. And then thirdly, get more financial empowerment for black and brown women, like we have to the more power we have, financial power, power as leaders, influence. This won't happen like we can save ourselves, but we have to keep fighting. We have to keep wanting more for ourselves, reaching for for the financial gains, reaching for seats at the table, and when we get there, making room for more of us to get to the table, that's when we're going to see real change. I think we're just living in this like this diseased world where we have been held back for so so long, and until we get to a position of power more of us, this is going to keep happening. And that's petrifying, but it also gives me hope because I can, like, through brown ambition, through the work that we're doing, I see it every day, black women reaching for that Black and brown women reaching for that empowerment, feeling empowered. We just need more, more more.
Speaker 1: It's like a real shift, you know. I think in times like this, that's the only thing that I guess, if there is a glimmer of hope, is that those who thought that voting for Voldemore wouldn't be so bad, those women who were like, oh, he can't get into but so much trouble and now here we are. I read an article. It was a CNN I believe it was CNN where you know the Voldemort are former president. He you know, he's been a little KOI, which is not like him not wanting to claim full credit saying it's not just me. I'm like, that seems odd because behind the scenes, here's the thing about Boldemort. He's, as much as he is an idiot, he's not dumb. He recognizes that suburban women are what put him over the edge to become president, and he recognizes that this is a direct attack on those very same women for those who you know, are are open enough to realize that that women. It's like, sure, we don't mind this, we don't mind that, we don't wait what and so he recognizes that this is way further. There were a lot of folks this is like okay, now here's where I draw the line, you know, And and know this that the current those who sit on the bench the are currently looking for more, Like Clarence Thomas had said, like, okay, now that we've done this, they're looking at gay rights, they're looking at contraception, birth control, and.
Speaker 2: So interracial marriage.
Speaker 3: Well I thought that was just a joke.
Speaker 2: But you never know, honestly, so it could be it could be anything.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. These are the very same justices that it was three of them that when they were being you know, because you have to be grilled before you're appointed, that three of them stated that like, no, no, I believe that that that Roe versus raised way is settled, meaning I'm not going to do anything about it.
Speaker 3: Obviously that was a lie.
Speaker 1: And so if there is anything that I have seen is then when something swings to the extremes, it's met with extremes, meaning that this is such a far swing to the right that there are people who might not normally go up against the right that are going to be like, Okay, you know this is too much. And I mean, I don't believe in extremes anyway. I don't like fast drinks to the left either. I believe that there has to be something in the middle of something in the center where everyone doesn't get everything they want, but everyone doesn't get anything that they don't want. So yeah, it's just it's a lot. I don't honestly. I mean, I try to look back in history and I think to myself, you know, there was the Black Plague, and there are these other things that happen, and I'm like, it just seems like so much. I don't remember being like so crazy. But I guess it's because I'm an adult, you know, I get to live it through an adult lens. But it just seems like the last few years have been so heavy.
Speaker 2: They have, and I mean, I think there's definitely opportunities for self care. I feel like, you know, something you mentioned is so important. The white suburban women who voted Trump into office. I'm sorry, he who must not be named into office in twenty sixteen, that it's important and that yes, this very much impacts them as well. And when I'm saying that this impacts black environ women disproportionately, what I mean is by that is not that we're more likely to want an abortion, but that we are more likely to not have the financial means to get it when it's in a different freaking state and potentially I don't know who knows intend how long it could take and who takes over, you know, in our states now that it's at the state level that's deciding whether or not a woman and people who have uterses have the right to choose, you know, who are elect officials in these states going to be down the line? Could there be a time when the whole country looks very different than what it is right now. I think it's about half the country does and half the country doesn't allow it. But that financial then, the reason it's so important to have that financial empowerment is because when you have the financial empowerment, you can make choices. You know, you can go other places where they do welcome the decisions that you make. We don't get to make those choices, We don't get to have those options when we're not financially empowered, it's not as easy. You know, waiting for someone to help you get there is fine, and that's those options for maybe be out there. But when we can make our own choices, that is what real empowerment is. And for white suburban moms, white women in general, they and I know that there's plenty who have struggled and all of that. And believe me, you're all over my page being like, I struggle too, and I've been you know, I grew up poor blah blah blah. Great, that's good, and the majority of you don't. Okay, majority of black and white, black and brown women very different circumstances, and that's why it's important that we talk to them specifically and center them and everything that we do center those voices, enter those stories. Because if we can make sure that black and brown women succeed financially to the point where they can make their own choices, then believe me, everyone, you're gonna be fine like us. Being more empowered financially does not you know, does not threaten you in any way, shape or form, you know what I mean. And those women, I feel like it's an opportunity for them. Will you stand with us now and will you stand for not just your rights, but everyone's, you know, people who don't look like you as well. We'll see how things shake out. I'm very I'm very, very concerned about November. I'll tell you that right damn Now. So much is writing on who we elect in at our state level, and people pay so much attention to the presidential election, and I don't think far enough to the state level. You know, elections like pay attention, y'all, wake up, pay attention, vote support candidates who stand for things that you care about. Every election counts. I mean, it's it's freaking scary. I know it's a lot, but it's it's like we can't turn away from that fear and that stress. I don't think in this moment. I don't think this is a moment to put our heads in the stand to pretend like it's not happening. We got to go there, We got to have uncomfortable conversations.
Speaker 1: No, Like, so I'm actually like an upstate New York I said, I'd like, I saw one of my friends and say she was in the cat Skills. I was like, why don't I go to upstate New York just to like, you know, so y'all know I live in Newark and it's about an hour and a half hour and forty five minute drive, but it's like it might as well be in another country for how different it is. It's so slow, but so beautiful. I set man dry some pictures. It's so pretty you.
Speaker 2: Out there by yourself. There's some nice pictures there. You got a.
Speaker 1: Tripod, no, I just you know, you put on the timer and you put it against a rock.
Speaker 3: That's what the nature's tripod?
Speaker 2: Gorgeous. Yeah, it's up to in the stream.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: But when I was out here like walking and just like you know, just thinking about what I wanted and who I am, one of the things that came to me. I was like, you know, one of my core values is safety and security, because how could it not be as a as a black woman, And because I thought to myself, you know, as I was thinking about what are some of my financial goals? But I really wanted to know, why is that your goal?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 1: It's not just for the money's sake, and it's for what we're talking about now. I want to have enough that, you know, barring anything super crazy, that I can handle it. Because I know no one's coming for me. I know no one's going to save me, that it's going to be on me to financially save myself and like oftentimes save my sisters, you know. And by sisters I mean friends, I mean family, you know. And so to Manager's point, that's why we do what we do right. Certainly we're sharing this difficult topic, but we talk here about your economic empowerment because you know, if you have enough to take care of yourself and your family to provide safety and security for yourself. Also too, money talks at the end of the day, you know, that's what politics and all that, it really comes down to who has the money to make the decisions. And so I'm committed. Yeah, I'm committed to like my economic growth, but also to yours. You know. That's why we're here. You know, it's for us. It's not just money for money's sake, It's it allows you to have choices when you have access to money, you know, at least in the US of A. You know, other places might be different, but here, you know, you are are offered a wider range of choices, you know, when you have money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah, And there's something that you said, you said it like I don't remember, I don't know. I feel like you said every once in a while, But what happens when a woman is financially empowered and know that it's not just about a woman helping herself, but women spread our influence and our power to others, helped lift up families and communities and small local economies. I mean, I think, like even just yesterday at that African American Heritage Day, the booths were just black women, black women, entrepreneurs, black women reaching for more. I wanted to stop and talk to every single one of them and just listen to their stories. And so many women who started businesses during the pandemic and made a way for themselves. You know, it's powerful stuff, and they are and they're all in these businesses that are seeking to provide services to help, you know, whether it's creating you know, natural body oils to help us take better care of ourselves, or creating bookstores you know that allow me to purchase books for my son where there's characters that are from all diverse backgrounds and have such unique stories. Like I think that's the powerful things we need to like focus on is what incredible things can happen when black and brown women when we are financially winning, and what choices can we make that benefit everyone else? And it's such a great message to remind folks because it's like, you can go some women get uncomfortable wanting money because it feels like, oh greedy and you know, meaningless and all of that, but bring it back down to what can you do with that with that power? And what would you do if you had the opportunity. I had this women over, like women in my neighborhood for a like a cocktail hour a couple of a few weeks ago pre when I got COVID, and I remember they were like complaining about Jeff Bezos going to the moon and spending billions of dollars, And I'm like, what would you do if you were a billionaire? What's focus on us becoming billionaires? Because they're going to ride their giant dicks to the moon and that's fair, So like, what what are we going to do with the money. Maybe we'll open free childcare, you know, institutions, maybe we would, but let's focus on what we could do. Let's get the billions, you know what I mean? Then it won't matter what Bezos is doing.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you what I would do.
Speaker 1: A close family member has a child with sickle cell, And if you're not familiar, sickle cell is a blood disorder that you know. Normally, blood cells, red blood cells are the shape of a circle and they flow freely through your veins. But when you have sickle cell, it's in the shape of a sickle because there's not enough oxygen I guess getting to the cell, so it almost like collapses, so it's like the shape of almost like a sea a sickle. But as a result, those cells will collect in areas of your body and cause extreme pain, so like think knees, elbows, and it is such a terrible, terrible disease, so much so that if you are African American and you're marrying somebody who's African American, you know, it's almost guaranteed that they're going to ask both of you to be tested because if you know both of you, like I carry the trait for sickle cell. Girell did not, And we talked about it that if he carried the trait, you know, would we even try to have children? Yeah, it's a terrible disease. That the life expectancy is not is not great for folks with sickle cell. And my family member was sharing, you know that there's next to no research, despite that it is one of the number one killers of children African American children. There's nearly no research that almost no new medicines have come out in the last thirty years. And why do you think that is despite this being one of the biggest killers of children. Why because the biggest killers of black and brown children. So there's no research.
Speaker 3: But what would you do?
Speaker 1: And I and I've thought about that, you know, And I said, you know, as I grow my wealth, one of the things I'm setting aside. Maxu we talked last week about it was the last week about trust and wills. One of the things I'm doing is set insided money in my trust for sickle cell research. Because if black and brown people with wealth don't do it, they're not going to do it.
Speaker 3: They're not going to do it. And we have way more.
Speaker 1: Power than you think. There was an article that came out for seeing in all the financial places, like I don't want to say five years or so ago, that the fastest growing demographic of entrepreneurs were black women, and then this other article, especially if you manage with your book coming out by the Atlantic, which is super exciting. It says the most likely person to read a book a college educated black woman, And I thought that was so exciting. It's like the Pew Pew Research has stumbled upon an interesting data point that the most likely person to read a book in any format is a black woman who's been to college. So one night, try to tell you so while you're as you're doing your book proposal, Mandy, don't let me try to tell you, well, no, no, no, I'm sorry, so yes I will.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, no, sorry, sis.
Speaker 1: Actually my book literally by nature of you being a black woman writing for black women like that is the perfect audience because we're like, we're reading.
Speaker 3: More than anyone else.
Speaker 1: And so I just share all that to say that we have way more power and economic power that we give ourselves credit for, but we have to turn it inward and toward our community. So we can because we're going to be the super heroes that we're looking for, you know, we have to link together like the Avengers and say like, Okay, you have wealth, you have knowledge, you have this, you have a microphone, you have the you know, and because that's really the only way you're going to see things change, because no one's going to care more about you and your babies and the kids and the mamas and the dad is no one's going to care more than you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the last booths I stopped by yesterday at that fair was the Women's Black Political Caucus of Westchester and took their flyer and I said, you're going to hear from me. You know, at that local level, there are black women black We're just amazing, and we are working in the trenches every day. I don't want to make it seem like we're not already out there being I mean, come on, now, how many elections have we saved for this country? We wouldn't you know, Yes, we're struggling right now, but Biden wouldn't be there if not for the power the black women vote, you know what I mean. Now, imagine if we had the money to back that vote. Imagine if it was the black the black women were as powerful as the NRA, you know, big oil, Like, imagine the influence we could have. But yeah, absolutely that at that local level too. You know, where are the women doing the work today? And how can we amplify and lift them up and support them, volunteer, donate all of that, and then we have to like kind of focus on it from all sides and then make our own financial bag, secure the bag for ourselves. I believe that Black women are the largest untapped resources in the country. My God, like, yeah, are we the most educated as well?
Speaker 1: Actually the Nigerians but you know now for her listnerans, which is crazy to me. Well, actually not crazy, because I know Nigerian pants are crazy. No, I just honestly, I like it feels me. I'm trying not to lean into the fear and the hopelessness and really trying to lean into the hopefulness because I am grateful to be black. I'm grateful to be a woman, and I know that we have we have, we have way more power than I think. I think people even give us credit for. Sometimes we even give ourselves credit for. And that you know, as long as we are here, you know, there is a light ah I ah see.
Speaker 3: We started off like h now see.
Speaker 2: Because thank God for the show, tip, thank God for the work that we're doing, because we get to be a part of that change, you know what I mean? I'm so happy to I was so happy knowing I got to come here and talk about this as I am every week, but never more at a time than I feel like when our when when there's targets on our backs, you know, as a as a people.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that, right, we have this safe space where we can vent, but we can also figure out what we can do, and we can moost out, we can still laugh and yeah, it's just I hope that you guys find that here too, And if you know other black women and brown women, even the Jamal's remember.
Speaker 3: Jamal a Jerome Jamal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, even the Jamal said, this is a safe space for you too. If you know anybody who needs to be here, send them on over to brownibitchingpodcast dot com.
Speaker 2: Everybody should listen to our show, but never get a twisted Who we are here speaking to first and foremost, and from whose perspective we speak from. That's all it is. I think everyone would love our show and should come, but I just don't want anyone to. Let's just remind them it's called brown ambition, okay, for a reason, all right? That is who we are here to center and everything that we do yep. Well should we take a quick, quick woosaw break and come right.
Speaker 1: Back, and now it's time to boost up, break up, Boost.
Speaker 2: Up, break.
Speaker 3: Break.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've been doing a lot of booths because you know, there's been a lot of you know, show what sure you going on? Yeah, but you know I'm going to continue the boost.
Speaker 3: Oh thank goodness.
Speaker 2: I was afraid you were going to be like and I'm gonna be done with that.
Speaker 3: Oh quick boost one.
Speaker 1: I wanted to just boost like how did your how did your webinar go? Oh?
Speaker 2: It's tomorrow, So you guys will listen to it the day after, but the replay will be available the day after. So send me an email at info at Mande money dot com if you want the replay. Yeah, so the webinar is going to be available for forty eight hours. So if you're listening to this on Wednesday morning, I mean she mean an email. See if you can't get the replay, hopefully you'll register. We I've got about five hundred register already.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, bad for just planning that last Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing. Okay, that's awesome. Yeay, So that's a boost Man's webinar. She's gonna be getting your life together, especially during these times with feeling really crazy. My mother was just really just a quick boost that tomorrow's my fifth wedding anniversary. It's one of these is why I just had to come here because I'm like, I need a USA, I know. So I was like, you know what, let me come to the someplace beautiful.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help a giggle because as I took my hike and stuff, I was like, this is literally the antithesis of what drow be willing to do.
Speaker 3: He'd be like, I'm not doing on that day. I'm walking.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've seen a picture of y'all in nature before together.
Speaker 3: It's not I know, nature would have not been his thing.
Speaker 1: So I was laughing because I was just like, you know, this is how I was spending my anniversary, which is the opposite of what Droo would have wanted to do, although he did like flowers and things like that, but taking a two mile.
Speaker 3: Hike around a lake.
Speaker 1: He'd be like, wait what, But yeah, it would have been five years. I think people think that like I just met Diro, but no, we met when I was twenty three. We started dating when I was thirty. We enjoyed like the same I'm a few months older. Started dating when I was thirty. Broke up because I was like, I'm dating the budget Nissa. She's kind of like a really big dal I clad started budgets and I was thirty. I had to make a decision.
Speaker 3: I was like, I choose her, I know.
Speaker 1: But then we started dating again when I was thirty four, when I realized the budget this is cute, but I really don't swing that way. So started dating again when I was thirty four, got married, engaged at thirty six, married at thirty seven, and as all know, he know, passed away when I was forty one.
Speaker 3: Forty two. Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You just never know how life is going to swing.
Speaker 1: So, despite all that's happening and how terrible things seem, if you have someone your kids, your sister, your mom, your dad, your partner to love up on and hug up on, now, is now more than ever make that your priority, because truly there is nothing more important. And the world is going to well, you never know, but as far as we know, the world's going to keep turning and there's always going to be good, bad, and indifferent, and you can't control all of those things. Certainly, you can do your part, but the place where you have the most influence is really inside yourself, but also to inside the little family.
Speaker 3: That you've built for yourself.
Speaker 1: So you know, love on your people today and so yeah, happy from anniversary, made.
Speaker 3: Happy fifth anniversary.
Speaker 2: And thinking about U Durell always. I gasped when he told me, because you know what, what other day is the same day as your anniversary is his base birthday?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, same day.
Speaker 2: And there was a point last week when I knew it was today tomorrow. There was a point last week when I knew your anniversary was coming up, and I also knew it was Hasba's birthday. And in between that point and now I've forgotten. It's been a lot going on and what did I get him? But you're right, I will take some time. This has been like so much going on, and then it was Father's Day and then COVID. But he deserves a nice birthday and he's here, and so I will make him do something he doesn't want to do either.
Speaker 3: That's a birthday?
Speaker 1: Is it for it?
Speaker 3: You want for the person to have because that's what you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did I tell you why I got him for Father's Day?
Speaker 3: No? What did you get him?
Speaker 2: So we have been we have been like trying to We're just so different, and I think it was really cute when we were dating and as adult humans now like ten years later and all that kind of stuff. We're just our interests are so different.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm over here in my butterfly garden obsessing over by the way two butterflies hatch today, okay, And he's washing the car and I'm like, why are you washing that damn car? But to him, it's not a washing, it's like, you know, it's it's like, I don't know, it's like art.
Speaker 3: It literally is.
Speaker 2: An art form anyway. So he's very into cars. So we started watching Formula one, this Formula one documentary on Netflix. What's it called, something puney like Drive to Survive or something like that. So in New York City they have the EPRE, which is the electric car version of Formula one. So I will be sitting in the stands in July at the EPRE with Husbane because that's the good wife.
Speaker 3: Now He's gonna love that.
Speaker 2: He was so excited. Yeah, he's really excited. It should be good. But yeah, but anyway, sorry to hijack your your boost.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no, So what about your boost? Switch your boost or a break? Oh, you're gonna like my You're gonna like my boost. I was thinking about you, actually, because with my boost, I need some advice.
Speaker 2: My boost is for daycare teachers, okay, and especially my son's daycare teachers, especially one in particular, whose name is Shelly, and she's amazing. And you know, the other day when he had to go back to daycare finally after ten days being out with COVID and quarantine and all that, it was a rough transition, like taking kids out of their routine and then trying to get them back to go to school. And now he's really talking a lot more so he can tell me, Mommy, no school, and it's very heartbreaking. But he was just so upset about it, and Shelley came outside, and when I got to the door to drop him off, I knew he was. He was already crying, and I was like, I told the woman who greeted me, I was like, can you go get Shelly. I know she's busy with Breck, but just tell Shelley to come, and she came out there and she helped him find out that there's like these rock beds that they have like with rocks by the plants. And she was like, you know what, Rio, let's go pick up he loves rocks. I don't know he loves him. She's like, should we go find a rock to go feed Rocky, which is their pet fish. I forgot he had a classroom fish. And immediately he was like huh, and he went and got his rock and then he was all excited about going to give the rock to Fishy, to the to Rocky the fish and put it in his fish tank or whatever and anyway, and it was also, he's switching to a new classroom, So I want to show Shelley and his daycare teachers my appreciation. They're just like phenomenal and at times like this when it's scary to send a kid anywhere these days, like the reason I continue sending him is because I'm like, he's with these women and they're incredible and men too. There's men there too, But I'm trying to think. After I finished for courting Tip, I gotta go get Shelley a gift I've done like Amazon gift cards in the past, but any advice went to get your favorite daycare teacher.
Speaker 1: I always I mean, well one, you know one like they're like, you're teaching daycare, you're probably super sentimental because why else are you there?
Speaker 3: I know, I was so something.
Speaker 1: Sentimental, So like, you know, something that like he draws, you know, or like maybe he paints a rock or whatever for her. That's always really sweet because I would gep that I would still have that forever and ever and ever. But then also, girl, nobody says no to Uber Eats at the same time, so it's like Uper Eats gift card. But then also something sentimental like that, like that's what I would have loved, Like I mean honestly, yeah, anything that kids made me up, like I'm gonna keep this forever.
Speaker 2: So oh you think I would never have thought about that, because I'm like, they do arts and crafts with the kids all the time. Are they stick of that by now?
Speaker 1: But maybe I don't know, no, something especially like like the other day, like my niece Amelia, she drew this. Really she's really into like drawing unicorns and rainbows right now. It was this amazing picture I was like, is this for me? She's like no. On the back, it said Miss Rosa, I loved you so much. I was like, I've never heard you tell me you love Auntie Tiffany. She looked at me like, girl, please, So and I know Miss Rosa is gonna love that because it's just like, oh my gosh. You know, like cause according to my sister Carol, Alexa is raising the kids because like Amelia'll be like, Alexa, how do you spell?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: How do you spell?
Speaker 1: Much?
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: I was just like, I never I never thought about that. She said, girl, she's like, this girl's writing up letters. I don't have to tell her anything. She'd be like, mommy, why is this guy blue? She's like, since I don't know, ask Alexa.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that's so true.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I would say something personal, but then also something practical.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think I was thinking Target would be good. But I'll see what they got. I'm gonna get to sort get her a gift card, and you're right all so I'll wait till tomorrow. I'm gonna get Rio to draw her, to color her a nice little picture, maybe give her one of my twelve caterpillars, y'all. I'm trying to take care of these babies as a responsible butterfly mom, but they are multiplying. I am overwhelmed by the number of caterpillars. If you live in Westchester and you would like some baby cdipullsh no, that's great. And just to any teachers out there, ough, just this is another thing that she sent me that picture.
Speaker 3: Oh, she sent me up.
Speaker 2: That's why I started talking about him going went to school. When he got to the classroom after they gave Rocky the fish his rock Shelley took the time to send me a DM on ig because she stalks me, and she sent me a picture of him at the table.
Speaker 3: And you're not suppoke.
Speaker 2: We get pictures in the app, you know, like through the life of like the little parenting app. But for her to like send me a picture she knew I was going to see right away because she knew I was worried about him. I just started to cry. I'm gonna start crying again because, like I said, I'm an open wound of emotions lately. But I just think that they're incredible And she sent him home with this huge like they don't just send them home with their artwork anymore at the end of the year because he's switching classrooms. It was like bound with a picture of him on the front and it said Rio's Memories and they were labeled and there was a photo of him printed with a little graduation cap. And I was like, Shelly, when do you have the time? And she said, her and her husband did it together. I just and her husband who doesn't who's not on the payroll, Like they went home after a long day with all those kids. These people are special, Like after a day with all these children, she went home and still worked on this project for us, And I just it's amazing. So if you haven't sent you know, your daycare teacher or just any teachers in general, you know, little thank you appreciation gift. You don't have to wait for teacher Appreciation Week, which I think was back in May. Just anytime.
Speaker 1: I'm telling we really appreciate herself because honestly, I loved your babies. I fight children, I fight moms over kids. I'm like, that's my baby too, girl. We raised this baby together for real, Like, honestly, especially the younger they are.
Speaker 3: The younger they are, you really loved.
Speaker 1: I used to pray for all my kids every single night. I would worry about the ones, you know that like maybe you weren't well, or maybe they had a household that was a little chaotic. I mean there are still kids to this day I think about in wonder if they okay, and say a little prayer for them. So like, yeah, like I know that people have so much to say about teachers, but the good ones really do love your kids, and you know, like there's nothing I would literally stand in front of a bullet for your for your baby, you know, like I have definitely almost tussled almost in real time. Yes, I'm just like yeah, because you really do. You really love these kids, and the kids love you right back, and it's what makes it all. Honestly, it's like no matter. You know, a parent could have just finished cussing and fussing me out and I'd be like, you lucky, I love your baby, because girl, we.
Speaker 3: Could meet at three o'clock. No, but honestly, no, that's awesome. I know.
Speaker 1: And shout to you, Shelley, because I know, like it's it's a it's a hard job, but like the hugs and the kisses and the I love you, Missievities, and that it just makes everything just worth it, and parents that appreciate Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Miss Shelley and all teachers. Oh goodness, my eyes.
Speaker 1: Are hopefully to be taking you on an emotion no roll up. Oh yes, So I hope you enjoyed this episode because certainly, although it was emotional, I hope but also left you with some hope as well. You know, despite all that's going on, there's still a lot of hope. Yes, there's always there's still a lot of good.
Speaker 2: So we love y'all, Love you, tiff, I'm glad you're having some quiet time in nature, and we love you Jirelle, and we're thinking of you, and tomorrow I'll be thinking of him too well. I scrambled to find something for y k.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all until next show, Until next week.
Speaker 3: Hey ba faan.
Speaker 2: We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Deplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am being Indy Witdard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.