Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour in this Wednesday, we'll head to the NFL Combine coming up here at a moment. Stat of the Day broughn to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Ricky Fowler in the Stars of the PGA Tour heading through Florida, The Bear Trap, The Cognizant Classic in the Palm Beaches, Jack Nicholas Course Saturday and Sunday three Eastern on NBC, and Peacock. Some of the headlines here. The Lakers with a win last night. Luca had a triple double. It wasn't a great performance certainly shooting wise, but fifteen and twelve with nineteen points. And what I love to watch is Lebron. Lebron is so smart. He'll figure out how to make this work. You know, Luca has that capability. But Luca's a star. It's going to go through him. Lebron knows that. And now it's up to Lebron to kind of figure out how does he make Luca better and the Lakers better. And so far they've done that. But the key really is they're playing defense. One O seven to ninety nine in the final and you know we wanted to see give them a month, let's see how it works. Luca was shocked that he was traded. I mean, just factor that into all of this now, ingratiating yourself with a new team, and what just happened in Dallas, and we still don't have answers to that, but Luca and the Lakers beating the MAVs one O seven to ninety nine, it will really mean something in April when they go to Dallas and hopefully you'll have Anthony Davis healthy. Diana turossied retires, certainly on the short list of greatest of all time. The Suns and Grizzlies combined for two hundred and ninety nine points in overtime eight seven seven to three. DP show email address DP at danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp's show seat in the poll question for the final hour, and then we'll head to the combine.
Speaker 3: Yad ed we got up there right now.
Speaker 4: Kyrie Irving's career has been lightly disappointing. Hall of fameish both or neither right now, forty two percent of the audience have it as both, followed by lightly disappointing Hall of Famous has the least amount of votes.
Speaker 2: We started the show talking about the coaches and gms at the combine and they're there to answer questions, but really not answer the questions. They want to give you sort of the feeling that they answered the question. And I was watching yesterday and Judy Bautista, the senior national columnist and co host of The Insiders on NFL Network, did a great job. And she did a great job because she kept it really simple. When you would have a coach who would talk about what they need to do next year, you know, the Bengal Zach Taylor telling everybody, Hey, we got to get we can't have a slow start, and then you know, we've got to make sure we don't do that. And then I think Judy just said how And you could just see the look on his face, like, wait a minute, We're not supposed to ask tough questions like that. And I said to Fritzy, reach out to Judy because I appreciate that it was a it was a right to the point question. Don't let him reload there. And I loved it, so thank you for doing that. Give us your sort of thought process of how you're trying to get something out of people who really don't want to give you something.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I really wanted to know the answer myself, like because we always talk about like in the case of the Bengals slow starts, like, we talk about it like I feel like every year. And so I was like, how do you like you got to get over this? This is what's stopping you from getting there? And so I mean, why wouldn't you ask that question, like, well, what are you.
Speaker 6: Going to do? His credit, he answered the question right.
Speaker 5: He said, they're looking at all aspects of the off season program and changing training camp and everything. So I give Zach a lot of credit for actually answering the question.
Speaker 2: Now, you were talking to not only Zach Taylor, Andy Reid, Omar Khan, Troy Vincent, Rich McKay for the competition committee. We'll get to that, the push Push competition committee in a moment. But what is the number one overriding question aside from tush push at the combine in your opinion?
Speaker 5: Well, aside from the rules stuff, I think, I mean, it's just the quarterback musical chairs. What's going to happen with Matthew Stafford? What about Aaron Rodgers. You know, what are they going to do with Sam Darnold in Minnesota? They going to franchise Tag and they got to try to sign up. So I think just there's so many teams that need quarterbacks. There's just not that many of them. Especially there's not that many top, top level ones in the draft, So how are all of these veteran quarterbacks going to move around? Kirk Cousins is another one that's really I think the dominant topic here.
Speaker 2: If I'm a Rams fan, how nervous should I be?
Speaker 5: I think they still want Matthew Stafford. I think the question is can they come to an agreement on the money. There's no question there is interest in Stafford outside of Los Angeles, right, I Mean, there are again so many teams that need quarterbacks, so there will be a market the Rams. Ideally I would like to keep them, but you know the Rams are the Rams and staff are like on a on different timelines.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: They have an otherwise very young roster that is ahead of schedule. I mean they were ahead of schedule last season getting into the playoffs, and they've got this you know, older, still very very good and productive quarterback. But they're just not aligned on the timeline. I still think he will end up staying in Los Angeles, but I feel less certain of that than I did, you know a week ago.
Speaker 8: Yeh.
Speaker 2: Because we keep saying, or I hear Annalyst saying, hey, a team that's ready to win now needs Matthew Stafford, I go, well, the Rams are ready to win now, so the Rams should acquire Matthew Stafford like I would pay. I would say, you know, it's not my money, but two years, one hundred million dollars or whatever, right, can you keep it friendly and keep him because you're a few plays away from being in the NFC title game when you would have hosted the title game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no question that the Rams are a better team if Matthew Stafford is the quarterback next year, then if they have practically anybody else that could conceivably be their quarterback next year, if he goes, right, I mean, if he goes who's their quarterback next year? Everybody keeps saying, like, well, what about Aaron Rodgers. Well, respectfully, I'd rather have Matthew Stafford at this point. He's much better and he's been more productive recently, so I agree with you if I'm the Rams, you're looking for a quarterback like Matthew Stafford. On the other hand, are they looking at it a little bit more long term and saying, you know, the capital we could get back if we trade Matthew Stafford to you know, the Raiders or the Giants or whatever team comes up. Does that help us then fuel the pipeline for years and years to come?
Speaker 6: We'll see, you know.
Speaker 2: It's strange when the Colts talked about there's an open competition at quarterback, and the first thing I thought of, Judy, was Matthew Stafford play half the season, half your games indoors. That's a team that won eight games, they've all they've taken a chance on Ryan and Philip Rivers before. He's a better version of those quarterbacks, it feels like, and he might be worth two wins to get you into the to the playoffs. I don't know if they've officially bailed on Anthony Richardson, but the fact that it's an open competition, is it truly an open competition with the Colts, right?
Speaker 5: I That is my question, because who is coming in to provide that open competition with Anthony Richardson? They want it to work with him. He was their draft pick, so they are invested in him. Many people in that building are invested in him making it, And so I do wonder, you know, when you look out there again, who are they going to bring in as the veteran they had Joe Flaccoli. Who are they bringing in who is a real competitor to Anthony Richardson And keeping in mind that ultimately, yes, maybe it's an open competition, but what they really want is to spur Anthony Richardson to raise his level. So again, who do you bring in who can spur Anthony Richardson Teresa's level but not really supplanted to Anthony richards In big picture.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Judy Bautista, NFL Network, co host of The Insiders on NFL Network. How awkward is the situation asking the Ravens about Justin Tucker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have to say Eric DeCosta, the general manager, said more than I expected. I thought they would defer completely to the NFL. You know, there's an NFL investigation, so we're not going to say anything. It's an active investigation. We're not going to say anything. And for him to say the number of allegations is concerning was frankly further than I expected him to go. They obviously know that those questions are coming, so I don't feel particularly bad for them that they're getting questioned about it. It is, you know, it's troubling because it just came out of nowhere, it feels like, and now it has ballooned. The number of allegations just is growing and growing and growing, and again the NFL is investigating. And I mean, as a football player, he is an all time great, maybe the greatest kicker in the game ever, but certainly this has cast a pall over the Ravens. It sort of makes you go back and think, like when he was struggling on the field in the middle of the season, like is this why?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: We don't know the answer to that, but you do wonder what the Ravens are going to do because he was struggling.
Speaker 6: At kicking. Now there's this.
Speaker 5: Does this give them the opening to move on from him? Do they stick with him? Do they think that this will all be resolved and that that will also resolve his struggles on the field. Very interesting, and again I thought Eric Depasta went further than I ever expected them even just admitting that it's concerning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't justin Tucker from five years ago where he was not expendable. He's expendable now. And the fact that you know, John Harball said hey, we're looking at kickers should tell you everything about this. It got to you know, recently where it was uncomfortable, awkward. You're trying to ask the Browns about Deshaun Watson. I don't even know if that's a topic anymore with the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 6: It's not really a topic.
Speaker 5: He tours achilles, as you know, and then he retore it, you know, in the middle of his rehab process, so that essentially we think keeps him out for this season. It's not really a topic. They picked very high in the draft, number two. They are they need a quarterback. Whether they take a quarterback at number two is a different question, or get one in free agency. But it's impossible to imagine that Deshaun Watson will play again for the Cleveland Browns. And I think a bigger question is, like, then what happens, you know, the Browns are even if he stays on the roster, if the Browns move on from him, who takes him on if anybody.
Speaker 2: Is there a place in the league for Russell Wilson as a starter?
Speaker 6: I I think so, and it could still be Pittsburgh. I think so.
Speaker 5: Omar Khan, the general manager, told me yesterday that, you know, first of all, they don't have a quarterback under contract right now, so everything's on the table for them. They got to get one, they got to get two, but he said their preference is to have it be one of those two guys, Russell Wilson, Justin Fields. And so, you know, there was a lot of sentiment for Justin Fields coming out of training camp early in the season. Even when Mike Tumlin made the switch and it paid off initially, you know, and the Steelers really took off when they went to Russell Wilson, there was still a great deal of sentiment that Justin Fields hasn't yet reached his ceiling. So I do think there is a role for Russell Wilson somewhere, and it may very well be in Pittsburgh again.
Speaker 2: All right, competition committee, you're well versed with this of what's the process, if you know, the Green Bay Packers bring it to the competition committee, I'm guessing to say we want to outlaw the Toush push. So what's the process now?
Speaker 5: So teams can submit rules proposals and those go before the owners. The competition committee can sort of endorse it, can put their weight behind it. No pun intended in the case of the toushbush, but they know so they can sort of say to the owners, yeah, like we agree with this, we think you should go. Here's the thing about that play. There is no real injury data on it, which is a good thing.
Speaker 6: There haven't been injuries.
Speaker 5: It's just not run that often, so there's not a wealth of injury data on it. If there were serious injuries happening on that play, there's no question the league would say we got to get this play out of the game, the same way as you've seen other plays get removed from the game because of injuries.
Speaker 6: So if quarterbacks were getting blown up every.
Speaker 5: Time they run this play and you know, dislocated shoulders, you would certainly see a push.
Speaker 6: From the league to get it out of the game.
Speaker 5: Right now, I think it's sort of more based on the possibility that there could be injuries, and there's also just people who feel like this doesn't really look like a football play. Maybe it looks too much like rugby. Why are we letting, you know, the quarterback get pushed from behind? We don't really let that happen. So it's more sort of based on nebulous stuff rather than like hard and fast data. You need twenty four votes from ownership to change rules. That is a high bar for everything, even things that you think are no brainer. Rules changes twenty four votes to get them agree on anything as hard.
Speaker 6: So I think that's a very high bar. I'd be surprised.
Speaker 5: If they ban it. And there's also the sentiment from a lot of teams that it's just like, well, stop it, Like if you want to end this play, figure out how to stop it, and I the darkness in me says like, if you want to see this play go away, like the first time a quarterback gets really injured on that play, that will be the end of that play.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why the NFL brought back that you could push somebody from behind one in two thousand and five. I don't know what the impetus was for that.
Speaker 6: Uh, I don't either.
Speaker 5: You're not You're also are not allowed to pull somebody right like if running back has stopped you can't grab his jersey by the chest and pull them over the goal line. Look, I mean the Eagles found found a niche in the rules that they could exploit and they're outstanding at it. And let's be honest, part of the reason that teams want to get rid of it is a their defenses can stop it and be their offenses are not adept at running it themselves. You know, if more teams were good at this, I'd bet you would not see more teams calling for it to go. But I think when you talk to defensive coaches, a lot of them are just like, listen, we got to figure out a way to stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Judy, if the Eagles weren't a good team and they were the Titans, nobody would care about this play.
Speaker 6: That is correct.
Speaker 5: The fact that it is so effective and that they are scoring so many touchdowns on it is why it has attracted attention.
Speaker 6: And again, if other teams.
Speaker 5: Could do it as successfully as they do it, I don't think you would you know, you'd be hearing this.
Speaker 2: If the Buffalo Bills could run it as successfully, they would have played in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: And the reason other teams don't do it is because they don't practice it the way the Eagles do. First of all, the Eagles have unique personnel, right, I mean, you know, Jalen Heards squats whatever, he squat six hundred pounds something ridiculous, So he is uniquely built to execute this. They have linemen who are outstanding, they have a grey offensive line, and they practice this, right, I mean, this is a play that they run. So you know, if again, if other teams were a successful I don't think you would hear this, you know, hue and cry about we got to get rid of it. And certainly if defenses could, we're stopping it.
Speaker 6: Nobody would care.
Speaker 2: If I gave you over under three and a half quarterbacks first round, you would take the.
Speaker 5: Probably the under, I guess, which is so low for you know, for a draft. But you know, the two cam Ward and Schadur Sanders are so when you talk to people who know this much better than I do, for sure, there's so far ahead. Cam Ward seems to be ahead of everybody right now. I don't know how many more you're going to get in the first round, but again, there are so many teams that are desperate. I think we'll probably have a better sense after the pro days, when we you know, when we see these guys throw to familiar targets and you can really see how they are. And certainly after free agency, when we see, you know, if the quarterback veteran market gets scrambled, then see who's left. But I don't, you know, I don't have a great feel about this class beyond those two.
Speaker 2: Is Tom Brady going to be at the combine?
Speaker 5: I have not seen him. He is very from everything everybody has said. He's very involved though, in Raiders' decision making, which is exactly what Mark Davis said he wanted when he brought him on as a minority owner, that he wanted him involved in decision making, especially selecting the next quarterback. So I don't know if Brady's actually going to be able to stands with his binoculars, you.
Speaker 6: Know, watching the bench press.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we're going that far, but certainly his voice is loud in that building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I would think the interviewing process, you know, being involved in that, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I would bet when they bring in the kids for the thirty visits kids, guys, you know that for the visits to the building, I would bet that Tom Brady will take part in some way in those meetings.
Speaker 2: Do you think Brady will still be the best quarterback in Las Vegas this season? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, I still. I mean I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm happy he's you know that he's happy in retirement and he's doing well. But like you know, if Brady put on a uniform right now, would you bet against him?
Speaker 6: I would not.
Speaker 2: I would not. Judy keep asking how and why and just simple questions. One word great, but thank you for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: That's a Judy Bautista, senior national columnist, co host of The Insiders on NFL Network. And that's just a little tip for you, you know, aspiring broadcasters and journalist. Short questions, open ended to the point. Take a break. What kind of like the I did with that, Todd?
Speaker 1: I went why?
Speaker 2: And I kind of like the long wing type.
Speaker 10: That just says things a lot longer than it needs.
Speaker 9: To be said.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom. Well, take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven to three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I got a question. Do you have Do golf courses have an opening day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or is it just like it gets fifty five and they say let's open tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well, they have an official opening day.
Speaker 3: But to prep the greens and the fringe.
Speaker 2: A lot of courses can stay open. It's just up to you if you want to kind of put up with the elements.
Speaker 3: I noticed when I drive by the local meat and potatoes public courses, if there's a fifty five degree day, there's people out there. Even the dead of winter.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even have to be fifty five, Paul. You got guys who will go out there and just kind of bang it around and just go out for a walk, maybe take a couple of clubs. Robin or Hi, Rob. What's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Hey, Dan?
Speaker 8: Good morning man. That was a great interview man, that you just had. Really appreciated that one. You know, one of the things about being great, though, Dan, there are moments when there's some disappointment, and I'm quite honestly disappointed in you today. The last time I was just disappointed was about six months ago when this very same former athlete was mentioned on the show, and I couldn't get a proper old school DP pronunciation of debtless shrimp. You've worked at inform me? Please I get it, taste, please, I deserve it.
Speaker 2: Debt left. Sure, good, Thank you, sir good. He was always one of my favorite players, though he was he was a underrated player. Uh yeah, uh uh J and Delaware, Hi, jy and Delaware.
Speaker 10: Hey, DP, Dan, it's how you guys there great, just foot points. I've been an offensive line defensive line cares for the last twenty years. Is my point on the tuss push. It's not a competitive play like like you say, take the guy out from behind him, then it becomes an actual TV sneak. But at this point, right now, it's not a QB sneak because nobody's QV sneaking from fourth to two, or nobody's sneaking into the end there and come two yards out where the Eagles are doing that because he'd got Dallas Dotter, AJ Brown and Saint Ron Barkley behind there helping him push. So like with Tom Brady, every time he did the QV sneak one place, he'd go left and next time he did it, he'd go right, or he'd go low, or he'd go high. He'd always strict the defensive line. To me, that's the art of the TV sneak. This right here, to me, is not a competitive play.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've said I don't know why they allow you to push from behind. So if you change it, vote on it, you want to get rid of it, Okay, I just suggest you Monti because then it becomes a quarterback sneak, and then nobody can argue when the Eagles still go forward on fourth and two and get it. Damon in Massachusetts, Hey, Damon, see you Donnie in Colorado Springs, Hi, Donnie, Good morning Dan.
Speaker 11: How are you today?
Speaker 2: All awesome? Really awesome, awesome.
Speaker 11: Six three brisket smote two oh five.
Speaker 2: So my.
Speaker 11: Opinion on the toush push, So, when you vaults over the line during a field goal, or you have a teammate lift you up as a fifteen yard unsportsmanlike conduct because you're gaining advantage from a teammate, how is the toush push any difference you're gaining advantage from a teammate pushing you.
Speaker 2: Well, one is lifting and one is pushing. You can't lift and you're not allowed to pull, they allow you to push. I don't There used to be a rule that didn't allow you to do this, and then in two thousand and five they allowed this. They changed it for some odd reason. I don't understand it. And Judy Bautista's covered the NFL for a long long time, didn't know why they changed it either. But if you outlaw that, then all it is is a quarterback sneak this. This is what I don't understand. The NFL likes to complicate things. This doesn't need to be complicated. And I keep saying, if you give the NFL an out because you have injury data, then all of a sudden you're going to go, Okay, we need to change this. If a quarterback gets injured on this, then do they look at it differently. Chris Jones got banged up in the Super Bowl on the tush push. Now if you look at his angle that he was taking, I could see why he got hurt. So the guy who probably is more susceptible to getting hurt the center on the offensive team. So factor that in if we want to protect players the team that is doing this, the Eagles doing this. They put their center at risk every single time they do this, and they're willing to do that. I don't know if the NFL, and Judy even said, and she keeps a close eye on the Competition Committee, she doesn't think they're going to change anything. And I agree. They're a super Bowl champion and therefore there seems like they're getting away with something, but they're not. Any other team can do this. Imagine that you want to take something out of the game. It's like I mentioned this yesterday. Leu Al Sindor was so great in college. They outlawed the dunk because of one player. So that's when you really penalize a team. That's when you're going out of your way to penalize a player or a team. I don't think that's in the spirit of competition. If you want to modify something great, But to say you're too good at this, even though I can still do that, that's not fair.
Speaker 3: But the NFL is known for closing loopholes that teams take advantage of. A Couple of years ago, twenty twenty three, there was this new motion. Remember the Dolphins with that jet sweeps yea, and as soon as everyone started picking up on it. They closed it, and they changed it mid season.
Speaker 2: It wasn't did they really?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They there was another rule. Remember the Patriots and the Titans with Rabel. There's something about running down the clock, and they found a way to run down the clock. It was like an exception the rule Belichick started then. Yeah, okay, I don't remember exactly how they did it. They closed that during the season. They don't like when teams push loopholes, and this is a targeted team though with the Eagles, I still lean towards they're going to adjust this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know that people look at it and they get bothered by I mean the number of phone calls that we've gotten this morning about this, because everybody has an opinion on it. And if it's not your team, I mean, there's no Eagles fan who's going to say, you know what, for the spirit of competition, we should take this out and they shouldn't. It's you know, it's like baseball, you decide where you want your home run fence. You decide. I mean, it's weird, like what other sport do you go? You know, we'd like to have left field at three twenty seven it'd be like an NFL team saying, when we have the ball, the end zone is bigger. You know, they're going to be the Canadian Football League. So they're not doing anything illegal. They're not doing anything that's weird, you know, Like I imagine an NBA that your court is wider than everybody else's court, or you decide the three point line is different than everybody else. I mean, that's essentially what you have with baseball. You decide what's best for your team. The Eagles didn't do anything that's that you can't do. You just can't do as well. Let's try Damon in Massachusetts again. Is Damon there?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 2: Hello, DP, Hey Damon?
Speaker 9: How you doing? Actually, first time?
Speaker 2: Long time?
Speaker 9: It's actually pronounced demand.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, demand demand.
Speaker 9: So with all the celebration of Diana Tarazzi and her dominating over college in several leagues, I saw a stat that you may not know. So let's go around the room. Who is the only person to lead the NCAA, the ABA and the.
Speaker 2: NBA in scoring? Rick Berry?
Speaker 9: Oh, I knew you were going to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Rick Barry, Yeah, I think the Oakland Oaks. Then he went to college at Miami and then you know Golden State.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny to start the call with being like, I don't think you're going to know this, and then when you do, go, I.
Speaker 2: Knew you were going to know it. I knew it. I think this one might catch you. I knew you'd get it. Rick Barry is an underrated player, like if his his stats were crazy. And if you look at that seventies Golden State team that won the title, and they really didn't have much talent there and Rick Barry led them to an NBA title, I mean he had. That's where it's really the sum of the parts that when you when you look at it, there's certain teams when you go they were just a great team team. And there have been a few of those down through history where you know, like the Dodgers in eighty eight when they won, that was really the sum of the parts. It wasn't they had oral and really that's about it. They had hrsh But that's when you have magic. That's when you go, there's something else here at play. And that Golden State team they had, you know, gosh, they had really no stars.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. I have the roster. I'll bet you can go.
Speaker 2: I don't think I can.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you can get four.
Speaker 2: Derek Dickey is.
Speaker 4: On that team.
Speaker 2: You go, and there's a Johnson, Yeah, George Jo Johnson, big man there was? Was Rick Barry was on the team. Was Nate Thurman on the team?
Speaker 7: He was not.
Speaker 3: There are two Johnson so we're gonna give you two points there, Charles and George George?
Speaker 2: Okay, Charles was a guard. Was Keith Wilkes on that team? That's right, Silk Wilkes. Okay? Who else was on that team?
Speaker 3: They had a point guard and a center that were their second and third leading scores or second and fourth things.
Speaker 2: It's gonna drive me crazy. I keep seeing Nate Thurmon, but it's.
Speaker 3: Uh starts with a C. The first name Cliff, Yeah, okay, the point guard first name, last name start with the same letter. Okay, you're gonna grind.
Speaker 2: No, it's gonna.
Speaker 3: I don't want to give it to you.
Speaker 2: Butcher Beard Oh okay, nice player, yeah, out of Louisville. Butcher Beard. Dang yeah, Rick Berry, Rick Barry was, You had to deal with him. He was good.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: Doug and Syracuse, Hi, Doug, what's on your mind? Clifford Ray God. I kept thinking Nate Thurman.
Speaker 12: And everyone's talking about Shadeer and cam Ward. What about Kyle McCord. He beat cam Ward one on one and nobody's talking about him at all the draft.
Speaker 2: Well, you can beat a quarterback, but it's your team beating that team. I mean, let's be fair, we're not playing one on one. You know, Kyle I think got a bad rap because of what happened at Ohio State. And then he goes to Syracuse and had a really good season, really good season, and he might be a Day two pick until I get information from my source, then I can give you an opinion that would be vetted as opposed to me just saying the eye test because I don't I don't know my job is. You know, I'm not qualified to do it. That may sound strange that somebody who's hosting a show is not qualified to give you an opinion on somebody. I'll give you opinions, but I do like to talk to people who it's their job to assess an opinion on somebody. I don't know how good cam Ward is, Like I watched him, and I've said this before. I watched Patrick Mahomes play. I had no idea that he would be anywhere near this. I was just fascinated by him. I just was entertained. But I kept saying, well, it's Big twelve football, you know, final score forty five to forty one. But if anybody said, well, I knew now. I thought Deshaun Watson was going to be great, and he kind of started out that way. There are times when I knew nothing about Ben Roethlisberger other than he went to Miami of Ohio and it seemed like the biggest guy on the team was playing quarterback, and I thought maybe they make him a tight end, which Ohio State was recruiting him to be a tight end, so I didn't know. I thought Michael Vick would change the sport. Yeah, pulling, and.
Speaker 3: It goes like you said the other way. I thought Byron Leftwich was built for the NFL and would go to the Hall of Fame after his first year. I was like, this guy is a great passer and he became a decent quarterback in a decent career.
Speaker 2: And you're just Air McNair. I. I just remember there was a curiosity and then you realize that's the guy you want as your quarterback, So you have no idea with this Johnny Manziel, like I didn't. I didn't know enough about Manziel behind the scenes other than people would kind of whisper and say, you know, the party guy, and I'm thinking, all right. You know, it's like when your kids are looking at schools and somebody will go, hey, what about that MAT's party school. Every school we looked at was a party school, so I thought, hey, Manziel, he's a party guy. Well, if they have told me really to the depths of being a partier, then I would have been you know, I don't know. And then I realized just how great Mike Evans. Mike Evans got so much better in my eyes when I saw that Manziel couldn't play in the NFL and Mike Evans is going to be, you know, a Hall of Famer, you know, whenever John Johnny would be like the throw it up and Mike Evans would somehow grab it and be like, oh, man, did you see Manziel be like, uh, I think I think Mike may have saved him there. All right, more phone calls coming up. We'll talk to Sonny VC. Carol coming up. Tomorrow. Sonny is famous for well a lot of things, but he has written a new book and it talks about his role in signing Michael Jordan at Nike, Kobe at Adidas, how he had Lebron and the company he was working for, Adidas let him down, his petty relationship or his relationship with a very petty Phil Knight at Nike. At Nike, he started paying all these college coaches, giving him money, giving him shoes, and you could probably make a case. You could make a case he should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame as a contributor. So, Sonny Vic Carol will join us on the program tomorrow. I believe Woody Harrelson will join us on Friday. On Friday, all right, so take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Try to sneak in a few phone calls. What we learned the stay in sports history. Let me see, Oh Seaton brought this up I think last hour where we heard from Aaron Glenn. He's the new head coach of the Jets, and this is sort of the tone that he has, the bravado when he goes to the microphone that things are changing with the Jets.
Speaker 13: I understand the reaction of the players, but I will say this, Every decision that man moves make is to win and to win now, so I understand it. But again, listen, that's not gonna be the last decision I made, right. That's not that it's gonna upset some people, and that's okay, right, But as men, we talk about it, we make sure we keep it in the house that we're going to continue to do.
Speaker 2: And then Seton said he would take a pie of the face, that he would take a ball to the balls if Robert Salah when he was sworn in as the Jets head coach, didn't sound or have a similar message. So we went back and found when Robert Sala was introduced as the Jets head coach.
Speaker 14: To our organization, get used to the mantra all gas no break. When we talk about all gas no break, we're not talking about effort on the field. We're talking about the process at which we do thing do things. We're talking about the way we prepare, the way we wake up every single morning, the way we rehab, the way we communicate, the way we speak to one another. Cannot tell you enough about how excited I am to work with this entire Jets organization and understanding that when we wake up in the morning, we will all from top down, step on the pedal and find a way to get somewhat better than we were when we woke up. But understanding that the all gas, okay, all gas.
Speaker 2: No break, Maybe not as fiery as Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 4: Well, that's you know that is that's about ninety seconds of a ninety minute introduct to a press conference.
Speaker 3: Literally no breaks.
Speaker 2: And he's also reading off of a teleprompter.
Speaker 4: There he was, he was, Yeah, he's reading off of a teleprompt week because they or he's incredibly good at looking the camera just right down the barrel. I can't believe they'd have a teleprompter for a coach. I'm quite sure if you look at the beginning of it, they all they each of the three people up on the days read a prepared statement, but none of them are looking at the paper. They're all looking straight out fumble their words a little bit. I think that's part of the prepared statement part.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a football team. Okay, we're here to play football, but you can't script it. I think he kind of care.
Speaker 4: The whole game is scripted really well, if you know what I mean. Oh yeah, that's right, just like this show.
Speaker 2: It's scripted. Can you imagine new Rockney going, wait minute, let me see what are my words here? Are gonna win? We're gonna win, We're gonna he tried again three two? What we're gonna win?
Speaker 8: When?
Speaker 10: When?
Speaker 2: When win? By the way, overrated speech? What Newte Rockney?
Speaker 4: What the heck?
Speaker 3: Dead guy speech?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But oh he just said we're gonna win, and we're gonna win, win when win? That's it. It's like Lincoln four score was you know? How was that like a three minute speech? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean less is more?
Speaker 9: You like that?
Speaker 2: I do? Less is more?
Speaker 3: But not to day was favored by fourteen and a half in that game. It's not like winning for the giver was there were the underdogs.
Speaker 2: Yes, it also helps when your name is Newt Rockney as opposed to it.
Speaker 3: And here's what Steve Rogers had to say to the team. New Deaths sound tough, canute to Rockney, Yes, I went back and listened to Aaron Glenn's press converce. Compared to Aaron sa to Salah, Aaron Glenn does a lot of all heart. He didn't say all you know, no breaks, but he gives a lot of disfranchises about you know, working and putting in the works.
Speaker 2: Very similar tone you We're gonna work barn work, yes.
Speaker 1: But as a new head coach, you need a motto keep pounding, never stop, don't stop believing.
Speaker 2: Living on a prayer.
Speaker 3: Where eighty songs hungry hearts.
Speaker 2: That would be great if you had a press conference where the coach was just throwing in subtle lines from the song.
Speaker 3: You Gi have an eye. It's like it's I have a tiger.
Speaker 9: Oh, this is gonna be a thriller night Sunday, bloody Sunday. Let's go.
Speaker 3: I'm hungry like the wolf, but see nothing going.
Speaker 10: To break our stride.
Speaker 4: It's nice bet this day in sports history, gonna break up my stride, breaking my stride.
Speaker 3: Last night I had the strangest scream everyone, I gotta sell you. Nineteen thirty five, the New York Yankees released.
Speaker 2: Babe Roam over Rated.
Speaker 3: He signed with the Boston Brace for twenty grand and a share of the team's profits.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty five, Julius Irving of the seventy six ers became third on the NBA's all time scoring list. Underrated underrated Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: On this date in nineteen sixty seven, this driver is the only one born outside of the United States to have ever won the Daytona five hundred nineteen sixty seven. If you said Mario Andretti, you would be correct. How about that? Correct? Amundo? Uh sorry, I can't sneak in more phone calls, but thank you for the calls today, the emails, the tweets, the all around support. Let's go around the room see if we learned anything on the program. Toddle'll start with you.
Speaker 9: When you say you have no plans or invent just to trade a player, that means you're open for business and willing to consider a deal.
Speaker 2: Uh seatan, how about you?
Speaker 4: No further word on the bush tush pushush push push.
Speaker 2: At least I got that right when I'm talking to Judy Bautista. You know that push tush. I don't know you think they're gonna outlaw that? Uh Marvin all gain no breaks? Yeah to the death, yeah yeah, orun til I get fired, Paul.
Speaker 3: We'd like to thank Nick Chubb for everything he's done for this pile.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he won't be with us next season. Todd, what did I learn.
Speaker 9: With the cult saying it's an open competition at QB You immediately thought of Matthew Stafford Rapp.
Speaker 2: But Radios the official walkie talkie the DP show instant pushed to talk, offering national LTE covers, no subscriptions ever. Business owners can keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time. All private go to rapid Radios dot Com sixty percent off, free shipping. Have a great day, everybody. We'll do it again tomorrow.