Speaker 1: One to cook.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody, and happy trade deadline day to those of you who celebrate. The Yankees made their first move, now their first two moves this weekend, if you count Camello Doval getting traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates, and it is the day that everybody looks forward to all year long. We are less than ten hours now away from finding out what roster the Yankees will try and use to win the American League East, to try and win the American League, to try and get home field advantage. And yesterday they obviously tried to address the offense a little bit by adding Luis Garcia Junior. I'll talk more about his role here in a few minutes, but I want to begin with the trade speculation. It seems like every year there's a ton of different rumors and most of them never happen. Okay, but this year we've already seen a couple of big names moved. Trek Schouble got moved already. He went to the Dodgers. Freddie Peralto went to the Rays. He's obviously not having a great year, but I have full confidence that the Rays will be able to unlock something that the Mets could not, especially with a guy who's got a track record. I mean, this is not a guy who's just learning how to pitch, and he's gonna be pitching for something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The Red Sox will continue to be aggressive. They had gotten Connor Mead, he got injured. We'll see what else they have in mind. There are some names out there for the Yankees to pick from, and I expect that Brian Cashman has already been on the phone this morning. If he ever went to bed, he has hopefully gotten up early and made a few calls. Everybody's been talking about Luis a rise for the last I don't know, several years, because this team quite frankly, has struggled to put together hits for the last decade plus. And you know, with the addition of a left handed bat yesterday in Garcia, I think it's less likely that they go out and get another left handed bat. But this is a guy who hits over three hundred versus lefties and versus righty, so I don't think it's a huge deal. I think the big kind of roadblock here is if you can find someone to take Jazz Chisholm, because if you can't do that then you can't go out and get Luisa Rise because you have nowhere to play him. And I'm not sure the Yankees want to do that. Quite frankly, I think they believe Jazz is a better all round player than a Rise.
Speaker 4: I disagree.
Speaker 3: I think that Jazz is more athletic, for sure, but I think a Rise would fit better into how the Yankees are currently constructed. It's not like he's thirty five years old either. This guy's twenty nine.
Speaker 4: He's still good.
Speaker 3: He's got an eight hundred ops, he's hitting three twenty four, and it's really not that complicated. But one of the biggest problems for the Yankees the last few years is that they just.
Speaker 4: Don't get enough hits.
Speaker 3: They have overvalued home runs and they have undervalued timely contact hitting, and that is one reason why the Yankees are hitting two thirty two as a team and they're eleventh in Major League Baseball in run scored. Of course, they are missing Judge, they are missing Bellinger, they are missing Stanton, They're missing three guys that they counted on. But they need some offense, and I think a Rise would be a nice fit. We got a super chat here from smash or pass who says after losing three relievers, wouldn't you think we have one coming back? Brazovan looks to be dealt, but no reports yet on where. I do think that the Yankees are going to try and get a relief pitcher. We will talk more about that in just a minute. I think they have a big one in mind.
Speaker 4: I really do.
Speaker 3: And when you look at the return that the Tigers got for Trek Scoobel, it was really underwhelming. So you know, for some of these moves, don't be shocked if the Yankees are actually able to pull something off and get a guy for less than has been talked about, because we don't know what the conversations are really like behind the scenes. But anyway, we always get comments that Luis Arise can't play defense. That is not true anymore. He's been working with Ron Washington out there in San Francisco and he's turned himself in pretty good defensive second baseman. This year goes to show you that coaching is a big deal. But I think that Luis Arise as somebody the Yankees should take a look at today and that moving jazzism would be a move that I would make if I were the GM, if I ever become the Yankees, GM not gonna happen, but you can rest assured that I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I would put a focus.
Speaker 3: Where this team is not, and that is on contact hitting ability. You know, I think it's super important. Another guy who could be moved today is ad Lee Hushman. The Yankees and Orioles are apparently talking it over. This is a guy that was a super prospect at one point, just a massive prospect. He has obviously never lived up to the hype. He's been okay, He's had a lot of injuries. He's been on the injured list three times this year. He's on the injured list right now with left wrist inflammation, and he had left ankle inflammation earlier this year. He also suffered a concussion after taking an errant throw to the noggin. But the Baltimore Orioles are apparently asking for a package that includes some young pitching, controllable pitching, so they're looking at maybe Will Warren, maybe Ryan Weathers. The framework of the deal, as they say, seems to be kind of coming together, and it's just a matter of like who else is involved? What are those other fringe prospects that get added to the deal. But I think Rushman is going to be a Yankee before the end of the day. The guy who just turned twenty eight on February sixth. And we've seen that Cashman loves to go out and get super prospects who didn't quite make it, to try and turn them around. You know, you look at you know, Cliff Fraser was a big time prospect with the Indians when they traded for him. Now he hadn't failed yet. But you know, rugnet o'dor is a guy that was a big time prospect at one point.
Speaker 4: There's others.
Speaker 3: It's too early in the morning and I'm on too little sleep to think of them all. But that's something that Cashman likes to do. Go get an ex prospect who has become an average Major leaguer and try and unlock that talent that made them a prospect in the first place. So look for Adlie Rushman to get moved today. The question is whether or not he will go to the Yankees.
Speaker 4: But if you can keep.
Speaker 3: Him healthy, he's a pretty good ballplayer, good defensive player and nearing a return. So I do expect that the Yankees will try and upgrade the catching position. If they can't get Rushman, look for them to go in another direction. It's also not out of the question that Ben Rice is going to catch. Bowden said yesterday that Rice was probably gonna catch more, and then Jack Curry refuted that, I think Ben Rice could be an option at catcher because Austin Wells has been so bad and Ali Sanchez, I mean, Jesus, you gotta go. I mean you instantly. You strengthen the lineup by putting a good hitter at catcher. So we'll see. Another guy who is on everybody's mind is Mason Miller of the San Diego Padres. But the cost for him is gonna be much higher than the Yankees are trying to pay right now. Apparently they are asking for multiple top prospects, including George Lombard Junior. But zero point seven to six ERA this season for Mason Miller, and he is on pace for one hundred and twenty seven strikeouts out of the bullpen.
Speaker 4: That is astronomical.
Speaker 3: You guys might remember in nineteen ninety six where Mariano Rivera had one hundred and thirty strikeouts.
Speaker 4: Out of the pen.
Speaker 3: You know that's and he was throwing like two innings though, but hey, this guy makes you miss and that is a huge, huge, huge deal. In the playoffs, I think that there's a good chance that he gets moved and the Yankees are going to be first in line, and he is somebody I could see them giving up some prospects for though. I think they will keep on or hold on to George Lombard Junior, who went four for five in the win yesterday and now is hitting two sixty eight with six home runs and twenty one RBIs and eight forty five ops four h five on base percentage, and he has been turning it around since coming back from the injury list nolver's last five games, hitting three forty eight. I'd expect him to be a Yankee at shortstop, maybe even this week, so we have that to look forward to. But Mason Miller, I think could be a massive, massive deal.
Speaker 4: CJ.
Speaker 3: Abrams is still out there. The Yankees are, you know, thinking about shortstop. But I would think that if he was going to be part of a trade, it probably would have happened with the Luis Garcia trade. You know, if you're dealing with the Nationals, why not just do a massive trade all at once. But this is guy who's on pace for forty home runs a shortstop. Not a lot of shortstops have done that. So not a great defender, but that's no stranger to the Yankees. I mean, they kept running Volte out there when they knew he stunk. Last year, they ran ikf out there in the playoffs, and he's not a good defender. I mean, if you can get a hitter, get some offense, it'll make up for a little bit of the defense. I think there's an option, but like I said, I think Lombard Junior is the guy, although I would not be opposed to getting CJ. Abrams and playing him at third base if he was.
Speaker 4: Willing to do it.
Speaker 3: There have been times in the past that the Yankees have acquired a shortstop, a good hitting shortstop who has moved to third base.
Speaker 4: We'll see, but there's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a lot of trade talk today, So Brian Cashman is on the clock. We'll see what deals he makes. Let me know in the comments what deals you want him to make. The Safe Situation says pass on Abrams. I think the Yankees will pass on Abrams. Seven Tribes says we want Jeffy. I think he means Jeffers Ryan Jeffers. But here's the deal is that the Twins have been playing better and they might hold.
Speaker 4: On to him because they think they can win with him.
Speaker 3: He went one for four yesterday in the loss of the Mariners, hitting two ninety one with ten home runs any nine to nineteen ops. I think he would be a nice pickup, but I do expect the Yankees to add a catcher today. Let's talk a little bit about Luis Garcia Junior, who the Yankees got yesterday. One thing is for sure, he will not be wearing number two. He is still listed as number two, and I can guarantee you that when he takes the field tonight, hopefully when he arrives at Yankee Stadium, he will not be wearing number two. That number is retired for Derek Jeter. This is a guy with mass of power, and this is a spot where the Yankees certainly didn't need to add a first baseman slash DH. Right when everybody was doing their trade prediction videos and podcasts, nobody had the Yankees thinking, Okay, you know what we need. Let's go ahead and get a first basement slash DH, although with the way the Cashman operates, maybe we should start thinking that way. What don't the Yankees need? Maybe that's what they'll go get. But anyway, they did need some offense, so I think it's a good call to add a bat and then just try and figure out a spot where he fits. They already have Ben Rice, they already have Paul Goldschmidt. They have a half a dozen players who could rotate through the DH spot. Obviously, a left handed first baseman was not the top priority. But this is a guy who's just entering his prime. He just turned twenty six years old in May, and he is on pacer over thirty home runs. He has kind of what's the word, he's flipped the switch right. I was watching Chelsea James, who's covered the teams in that area for a while, and she basically said that he's a good guy. He makes improvements and that he's finally just kind of like coming into his own he's figuring it out. And she said that he's improving against lefties too. So we'll see. Maybe the Yankees are finally trading for somebody who's like on the upswing. But we'll see how they screw him up, but clearly not trying to fill a hole at first base, but more like trying to add to the offense. I think that the first priority today should be adding a right handed bat, even with Judge coming back, even with John Carlos Stanton potentially coming back, Cody Bellinger coming back, eventually he hits lefties. I think the Yankees need a right handed bat, and in addition to Garcia, they need one more hitter. So maybe it's Jeffers, Maybe it's Rushman, who's a switch hitter, you know, maybe it is Odo Lopez or you know, Xavier Edwards. Maybe it's Louis or Eyes who's a lefty but hits lefties.
Speaker 4: They need. I think they need a.
Speaker 3: Right handed, traditional right handed bat, and not necessarily a power back a line drive hitter. Okay, so let's just go ahead and get through the series recap. I was gonna do this yesterday, but we got interrupted by the trade. So the Yankees took two out of three from the Cubs. Good series for Spencer Jones. Talk more about him in just a minute. Jose Cabaliro had four hits in the series, including a big home run yesterday. Ahmed Rosario with a four hundred and fifty foot home run. Ali Sanchez had three hits. Will Warren possibly future Oriole had a good game. Max Free through the ball well. Bullpen was solid. Bednar and Blackburn both threw the ball well. As we take a look at the starting pitching game scores. Highest game score was Will Warren at sixty nine, very nice. Max Freed had a sixty three game score. He's got a three point one two ELRA this season. He did get a no decision, and Garrett Cole threw the ball well yesterday five and five now on the season with a three point four to two ERA. Take a look at the bullpen. David Bednar through two and a third innings in the series. Paul Blackburn continued to throw the ball well. On hel Cheve has been solid. He's got a zero point five to seven ERA since coming to the Yankees. And Giovanni Cruz traded but through a scoreless or through a solid and he didn't give up a run, but he got traded. It's so weird how they treated him. They kept him in the minor leagues. I don't know if they were trying not to expose him. And you know, the Nats just didn't fall for it, but they wanted a relief pitcher.
Speaker 4: They got him.
Speaker 3: Brent Hedrick had a good series and he got the belt yesterday. And Fernando Cruz through two thirds inn and gave up two runs, so not very good. It is Cam Schlitdler day, and oops, that's the wrong thing. Hang on, let me pull up Cam Schlitzler. That's the second second coffee break in a row that we have not pulled up Cam Schlittler. I'm just gonna fix this right now while we're talking, and we will have Cam Schlitler on the screen and we'll talk all about him. Yeah, he is going for win number eleven, and I feel like, uh, this is a guy who has a lot of pressure on him to carry the team right now because he's been so great.
Speaker 4: But he's got a point.
Speaker 3: He's approaching that point in the season where he's getting to her innings limit where the Yankies are gonna have to be careful with him. Hang on just a second, I pull up camp Schlitler's numbers. Last time it was Ben right, it was Max Freed, and this time it is showing the wrong dude. I see how the sausage is made. Okay, there you go, Cam Schlittler. Take a look at his numbers here, two point zero four e RA ten and six on the season, one hundred and sixty five strikeout, one hundred and thirty six and two thirds doing so. What I was saying before I got distracted by my own technical glitch is that we gotta be careful with his innings. He's on pace for one hundred and ninety seven innings this year. The Yankees might try and kind of maybe not go as deep in games with him, Especially with a guy who's just pumping fastbaf to fastba off to fastball. You don't want him to wear out before the postseason and then be dead in the division series. So they've been riding him pretty hard and putting him up wet. I think now that you've got Garrett Cole rounding into form, and now that you've got Max fried back in the rotation, Carls Roddan coming back soon, I think maybe you can afford to, you know, maybe give Cam Schlitzler a couple of innings off here in there if you get a lead, go to the bullpen, maybe an inning earlier, just to keep him fresh. And I know it's not ideal, but I would look for that to start happening right around now, because we're entering the dog days of August when guys have hard inning limits and so forth. A lot of times what the Yankees will do is give them a phantom il trip too. So you remember Nesta Cortez a few years ago the Yankees did that. Don't be shocked if they put Schlitzler on the eel at some point with like, you know, some bullshit injury and like headaches. Right, it was Austin Wells had headaches and they put him on the eyelink. I think you might see something like that over the next six weeks as they as they try and rest him. But it all, I think come down to what the Yankees do today and how the roster.
Speaker 4: Is shaping up.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's take a few voicemails here. Let's begin with actually, you know what. Before we get to that, let's go to the Nostra Derek pic. That is because we are taking Schlittler for eight strikeouts and we're taking Spencer Jones for another home run. He's been swinging the bat. Well, let me know in the comments who you think is going deep. I mean, maybe Garcia goes deep. In his first game at Yankee Stadium, he hits the ball in the air to right field a lot as we take a look at what to watch final day of trade frenzy. Will there be moves or will there be just a lot more hot air? How are our rivals going to approach the deadline? Rays picked up Freddy Peralta. Will the Red Sox do anything? And then will the Yankees be able to put some runs together?
Speaker 4: Tonight?
Speaker 3: Two and a half runs for the Yankees over under tonight? All right, now, it's voicemail time. Let's start with Ray.
Speaker 1: Hey, Derek a crub, you buddy, Ray? Just colin, lets you guys know that I personally feel that what I've been seeing last like week or so is that Spencer Jones is starting to adjust to being a major league ball player and it's only starting to scratch the surface.
Speaker 5: And he looks scary good.
Speaker 2: He looks scary good.
Speaker 1: He looks like exactly the kind of player we need, the kind of player we'd be hoping to get unfined, and not the one we should be trading right now. And I honestly think that when I look around the trade market. All I'm seeing is rentals that would see with the squeeze, don't care how good the guy is, or guys that it's a next move, like oh he'll fit in good here or that.
Speaker 5: Fuck that shit. Keep Spencer Jones, keep.
Speaker 1: George Lombard, trade away some of the pitching that we have in the miners and try to get an Aola Lopez or Leisa Rise and let's just rock with what we have, because i feel like, especially with the trade of the strike looming, that you don't want to go out and get rid of cheap, affordable talent while you have them and a time where we're about to possibly be very into a salary Cathera, it would seem highly counterintuitive.
Speaker 5: So I'm looking at it like, honestly, out the yeh, you could.
Speaker 1: Have got Schooble and some other guys and still probably not beat the Dodgers. So let's just rock with the team we have, and maybe they're gonna surprise us and at the very least keep them together this year will make them that much more dangerous together as a team next year.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the call, right, Appreciate the call.
Speaker 3: I'm loving what we're seeing from Spencer Jones, and I just showed that his WRC plus is about fifteen percent over league average. It is one third thirteen, so thirteen percent over league average. And he's got some real He's got some real pop that is real, real power. The question is will he be able to make enough contact. Thirty seven point six percent strikeout rate, You need to drop that down to about thirty maybe even like thirty one or thirty two. If he can get into that range and just make like five percent more contact, he's gonna hit like to seventy and he's gonna hit for a lot of power. Already got five home runs.
Speaker 4: Here's Brian, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Kind of confusing? Pickup the dude, nashes left, He's there, Garcia. I'd still like to see a few bullpen arms. I'm looking at guys like Daniel Lynch from the Royals. I think, uh, Zephyr Jhon uh he look at some of these guys Savant, Zephyr Jhon Sorrow super he Lynch is a lefty. Hopefully they can get a righty bad at catcher that's not blowing defensive plays at the empty games like Sanchez. Maybe a guy like Stevenson, and I'm assuming with Judge and Belly coming back maybe at some point hopefully though, if they think Lombard's worth holding on to, they're gonna try playing them down the stretch with these other guys coming back. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle. Ah, what do you think, Deck, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you're spot on. They've got to address the bullpen. They've got to get one more arm. Their bullpen's pretty good though, I mean, Blackburn has been throwing well. Chavi has been phenomenal recently. But they traded Doval and then they called up Cruse and then they traded Cruz, so they have a gap. They got to put somebody in the pen. You know, maybe it's Rodin coming back. They planned to shift Warren or Weather's to the pen. That's a possibility, but I think they're gonna be one of those guys who are going to be traded today, if not both. And as far as Lombard goes, we've seen young players and jack life into the team before. Gary Sanchez back in twenty sixteen after the Yankees sold the deadline had an unbelievable last two months. Jeremy Paniel with the Astros a few years ago, came up, made an impact not only down the stretch, but in the postseason.
Speaker 4: It can happen.
Speaker 3: So I think Lombard makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: Here's Eddie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, Eddie down here in Florida. Yeah, I'm going to see you trade. Sure. I mean, if the guy's back into eighty eight, that's better than anybody on the team. So definitely we need help in the line up. But the reason I'm calling basically you So, what's the game Sunday and Grisham in Senafield. I want to bring up two things. One ball was hit over his head of a line drive, but I mean they got runs after it, like he's got a lowly in his pants. He just doesn't, you know. And he kind of gave up on it because he knew he couldn't do anything with it, all right. And then on the one there was like a sallow fight ball. And there was then on first the guy got too far off. He comes in and made an awkward catch and a terrible throw as well. And I know all over the first and I know that Spencer Jones, he would have made that play on that on that ball over his head, no doubt, because of his speed and because of his reach.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at this point, honestly, I think I would take Spencer Jones and in center field over Grisham. Maybe they're able to move Grisham. I doubt it, but it could be. I mean, it could be something the Yanches look into. All Right, guys, I'm gonna take off. I'm gonna get back to I'll see you at some point as news breaks. Keep an eye on the Twitter feed and I'll be live at six pm today and then also a postgame show tonight after the Yankees versus the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Tune in for that. I'll see you next time. Hey, thanks for watching.
Speaker 3: If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it.
Speaker 4: We'll see you next time.