Speaker 1: A lesson we can all learn from Dolly. It's one more thing. Armstrong and Getty. One more thing. I got a theory lifestyle thing I've been wanting to discuss anyway, and it fits in perfect with the passing of Dolly Parton. Something I've been thinking about for a couple of days might be one of the keys to her success. But before we get to that conversation about how to live your life, Dolly Parton was a regular guest on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. They had a particularly good rapport, so it was always a good one. She'd show up on there. I remember watching it as a kid. This is kind of a classic clip here.
Speaker 2: What's the song you said you made up?
Speaker 3: Well, I wrote this song because it's been real good for me ever since I started on your show. And you said one time, once I got to be real famous, I probably wouldn't come back on the show.
Speaker 2: But I always will. I'm here about as much as you are.
Speaker 1: Good friends can say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: We can say anything. But I was only kidding because everybody kid you about it.
Speaker 2: I only like the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I think other people do a good job, but I only really like to watch it when you're on. And I don't call it The Tonight Show.
Speaker 2: To me, it's The Johnny Carson Show.
Speaker 4: You're saying all the right things.
Speaker 5: No, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: You want me to roll that point?
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to kick it a little. As good as I can with this nail.
Speaker 3: But it's all in the words, and it's, you know, I think it is.
Speaker 1: Now, it's not supposed to be too serious, so.
Speaker 2: I have come a long way from the hills of Tennessee And I've worked hard to make the folks back home real proud of me Now everybody knows my name.
Speaker 1: No matter where I go.
Speaker 2: But I never really made it until the Johnny Carson Show I have dreamed of stardom since I was just a kid. A million dollar dream beneath this $ 13 wig. In my bell-bottom jumpsuits with my rhinestones all aglow, I became an overnight success from the Johnny Carson show. From polyester paradise to silk and satin frills. From a 48-foot mobile home to a mansion on the hill. From moonshine to rare wine, from a packard to a rose. But I never really made it till the Johnny Carson show. Now, there's only one small problem. Sometimes I get disturbed. The folks sometimes get me confused with Monty Rock III. But still, I think it's worth it. And I just thought you should know that I'll always owe a special thanks to the Johnny Carson Show. I went from pop beads to diamonds, from car coats to fur, from Kmart to Gucci's, from here no telling where, from hillbilly heaven to a penthouse on the coast, but I never really made it till the Johnny Carson show.
Speaker 1: From whatever to Gucci there, yeah. So here's what I was thinking about with trying to figure out why Dolly Parton is so beloved. Since her passing yesterday, as we mentioned many times on the radio show, everybody from, I mean, musically, from Metallica to Every Country Act to just Eminem and Heavy D and rappers and just everybody like putting out a tweet of how much you're going to miss Dolly Parton.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: And then politicians and governments from around the world, just all this different sort of stuff. But I was wondering about, I don't remember where I came across this the other day.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Was it a person talking theology? Was it a therapist? Was it a, I remember where it came from. But anyway, but this idea is sort of ancient. It's the idea of trying to put out more good vibes in the world than bad vibes and And that it has an effect on all different kinds of things. And I think Dolly Parton probably had a good effect on like practically everybody she ran into. And then that kind of spreads. But just the example being like, if I'm being a jerk and in a bad mood and I'm rude to a waiter, then that waiter might be, you know, not very nice to his boss, right? And his boss might go home and not be very nice to his wife or her husband. And then that person goes to work the next day and treats that, you know, just how it has ripples as opposed to the opposite, where if you're kind of cheery and nice and give them a good tip and say you did a really good job and they're in a better mood and the boss feels better about himself and he goes home and he's nicer to his kids. Just do you believe in that idea of just everybody putting out vibes in the world and that if everybody put out better vibes, the world will be a better place? Or is that like over. Exaggerating one's effect on things. No, I don't.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends what you perceive your effect on things would be. I suppose you could be delusional or have delusions of grandeur. But no, in general, yeah, of course that's true. If people are more pleasant, the world would be a more pleasant place. And everybody ought to try. Yeah, I believe that 100%. It's not going to lead to a perfect world or the end of strife and crime and dishonesty and graft and the rest of it, but it'll make it a hell of a lot more pleasant.
Speaker 1: I don't think most people think about their bad acts, especially the small ones of having the effect sort of thing that I just laid out. Just a minor thing with somebody that could make them a little grumpier to their kid or boy, just, you know, and then builds and builds and builds or transfers a little at a time and the opposite. And then, like, a person at Dolly Parton, I would guess that, like, every meeting she was in or whatever was a little nicer and calmer and people left feeling a little better than if they were in a meeting with, I don't know, who's a legendary a-hole to work with? I don't know who, but. I mean, anybody who works in.
Speaker 4: Oh, it would be so funny right now to name somebody we actually work with.
Speaker 1: Well, I can pick one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Anybody who works in... customer service can relate to what you're talking about because i remember being a cashier at trader joe's and i could be up on that register for two and a half hours and then one person would come in and be a dick and there goes my mood for the rest of the day everybody and for some reason negativity overrides kindness in certain ways right it just takes that one little thing where you're.
Speaker 1: Like yeah probably shouldn't but yeah i feel like You could run into five really nice, pleasant people in a row, and one bad person could override that easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: As opposed to the other way around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're probably made that way for a specific reason, but I suppose fighting against it is probably a good idea. You know, it's funny, you were asking that question, and I was getting distracted because I was thinking of people who are unpleasant to other people, or at least less pleasant than they ought to be, because they perceive that person to be below them. And I thought, no, that's kind of a distraction from what Jack was talking about, but no, that's, it's a perfect thing to bring into the Dolly Parton discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cause she was, she, how often was she around anybody that she wasn't above by like any measure of success you would have very rarely.
Speaker 4: And I, there are certain cultural norms as I've moved around the country. It's been really interesting to see different people of different economic status in different parts of the country behave in, in little different ways. Um, But the idea of when the, uh, the busser or whatever, the assistant waiter comes to your table and fills your water, refills your water. You can, I've, I, I always say thank you. Um, but I've known people who would consider it ridiculous to even acknowledge their presence there.
Speaker 1: I will say, I didn't even look at them. I will say, I will state it flatly. We, uh, We've had many, many bosses, Joe and I.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: We still have like, I don't know, 50 people we could call our boss if we wanted to use that terminology. Anyway, I was told one time, Katie, by a boss when the waiter came and did that, filled the water. And I said, thank you. He said, no, no, no, no. You don't talk to the waiters. That's not the way you're supposed to. Because he felt like he was, because I'm a hick from nowhere, he was schooling me on the way you're supposed to handle nice restaurants. You don't acknowledge him or talk to him. You're not supposed to do that. Like what? We have a very background.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: We have a very, very nice restaurant that we basically celebrate all family events together. I tip all of the the bussers because nobody pays attention to them.
Speaker 4: Oh. Oh, they get a share of the server's tips, but certainly if you'd like to, then.
Speaker 2: Go do it.
Speaker 5: Because I was a busser, and I know what it's like to go refill the waters, and it's like you're not even there. And one person says thank you, which is greatly appreciated, but it's like, I mean, they're not doing anything less.
Speaker 1: They're working their butts off. What's the downside of saying thanks when somebody fills your water glass?
Speaker 4: There is no downside.
Speaker 1: To reassert your status.
Speaker 4: Because people people need that they.
Speaker 5: Need to feel superior to others now your status is gross if that's the case.
Speaker 1: Well i guess is that what it's born of with that individual it seemed to me the way it was presented to me that like if i'm with a group of other people that are at my lofty status It's a bad signal to them that I don't know I'm not supposed to say anything to the person who filled my water.
Speaker 5: No, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Which I don't care about. That's a human being.
Speaker 5: They're working their butt off. You said thank you, which is the nice thing to do, and it shows that you have manners.
Speaker 1: You're the lower classes, Katie. Well, then call me a peasant. Right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: And if I'm at a table with some people who are going to think, and there's somebody who does not understand how the world works or is a poltroon or whatever, fine, I'll be okay. You guys got any change?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: And this is the United States of America, famously one of the most class-mobile societies ever on Earth. One of my daughter's friends did, I think it was a year at one of your fairly elite British universities, And the class system is much more entrenched in Britain and it is not a thing of the past. And she was so shocked initially, then interested and occasionally amused that it became infinitely clear. And they're not subtle about it, that you are not in our class. You will not hang out with us. You will not talk to us. You are not welcome here at all. And then, then you've got a country like India. where they make Britain look, you know, like they're classless. So, yeah, it's, but getting back to Dolly Parton, she was immensely wealthy, popular, famous, and unaware of her ever acting as if she was better than anyone. That's part of why she's an American icon, because that's, going back to the founders, that is one of the bedrock principles on which this country was founded, that people don't, I think, appreciate, um, enough.
Speaker 5: This might be a little disconnected, but when I was working at a major alternative radio station in San Francisco, I was on, I was the cohost of the morning show and I worked at trader Joe's at the same time. And that was humbling because I had like listeners because I would talk about it on the air and then listeners would come in and see me like stalking cereal.
Speaker 1: What's up guys.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No big head there.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: That whole status, I hate the status steps that we take sometimes. It's really not cool.
Speaker 1: I'm right with you, Katie.
Speaker 4: I hate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Michael. I thought you were implying that you're stocking cereal now, but you're not. No, I wasn't. I did bus table, so.
Speaker 4: Michael, we had such an overflow yesterday. We had to schedule another autograph session for you. So there's like 75 people lined up, so. If you could get out to the lobby, that'd be great. All right.
Speaker 1: I just thought it's an extra motivation as if being nice to the one individual you're interacting with isn't enough that you could affect 15 people that day by being slightly rude to this person.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Surely you don't want to do that.
Speaker 5: It's a ripple effect, like you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One of the most important things I learned as a busser, it's funny that most of us did that, is if you're filling the waters and you drop the pitcher and knock over a glass or something and spill the water everywhere.
Speaker 1: I was perfect, so I don't know what that's about.
Speaker 4: Everybody's so distracted and so frantic, you can reach into somebody's purse and fish around. and see if you can get your own tip.
Speaker 1: Well, that was back in the old days. That's more gross behavior. You could grab several phones. You'd probably have three phones in your pocket.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Everybody's going to try to self-off with him, and then at some point he's going to say, I'm so sorry. Where's my phone?
Speaker 2: You see your phone.
Speaker 1: What kind of heathens are you? I don't think that's what... Hey, you got to look out for number one, lady. Just like Dolly Parton.
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Just like Dolly. I used to be a buster, and I would tell the people, you know, this is nice, but I'm a millionaire. I just do this to hang out with the little people.
Speaker 4: Like you.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's it.