Speaker 1: Worrying.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for and Or season two episodes one through three, the first tranch of and Or season two episodes.
Speaker 3: Hello, my name is Jason Exceptio and on Merday Night.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to ex Servision, the podcast where we've done deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from IRA podcast, where we're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we've been waiting for it, guys. It's the most expensive Star Wars project of all time. It's and Or season two and thanks beautiful. The money is on the screen, guys. That's one thing nobody could say is that this show looks cheap. If you feel like the Star Wars have not been up to a cinematic visual experience, will change. Chink chi ching, kuchink chink. They're spending those credits, baby, and thanks to Emmy contention. As far as we know, we are recapping the first three episodes. Yes, this season will drop in four three episode chunks and we will be recapping them thus. Plus, this is just a recap episode. As and Or such a big release for us, we will be back for a deeper dive on our thoughts Easter Eggs Jedi Council Opinions on Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The first episode of and Or season two opens four years before Battle of Yavin.
Speaker 1: We are at a.
Speaker 2: Imperial test facility, a weapons test facility called sign Ar Cassie, and and Or is there undercover. He is there to apparently feel a experimental tie fighter with the help of his spy network. There on the ground a woman named Nia, and it goes. It goes very rockily. Yeah, and Or crashing the ship into the side of the hangar. He has to blast his way out. It's not a clean getaway, but he does get away.
Speaker 3: The money is money. It's like this secret corgious, unbelievable. It's also really fun because so often in Star Wars we see somebody get into a ship they've never flown before and they can magically fly it because they're hand solo and they're connected to the force or whatever you believe. So it was great to see and Or crash this ship, trash this ship, and every single moment of the ship getting trashed is beautiful. I also think they did a great job here. You notice that he is wearing imperial uniform if you are so inclined to do so. But when you see a walking with the stormtrooper helmet that it is very shocking, and I think they did a good job. I also think there's a great moment here where Nia says, is it bad that I've had fun here? And you realize that there are like human beings who are all in this terrible world? I love?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my time with the Empire has been so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, fucking bad, Jason said, is bad? Bro? That's how they get you.
Speaker 2: Like they're saying you didn't have fun, but yeah, come on, it's the Empire. Is it bad that I love the uniforms and it's fun to fighters?
Speaker 3: She's like, how's it going.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere?
Speaker 2: Bix wakes up from Nightmare B two, continuing to be the very emotional Droid that we know him to be. Emotional and loyal Droid from season one, is very concerned. He wants to make sure that Cassian knows that she's still having the bad dreams, and he's also very excited because Cassie apparently will return to whatever this hideout of the Spy Network is tomorrow. We go to Chandrilla, where Mon Mathma is getting ready for the wedding of her daughter lighta arranged marriage, the arranged marriage in the chandriline fashion to Stecken, who is of course the son of the warlord and oligarch Davoskolden, who helped them launder money last season, because if you recall, Mon had an outstanding like four hundred thousand credits that she needed to move and then all of a sudden she couldn't move them very easily, and so they needed to call in Davo who has all these kind of underworld contacts, and he was able to absorb that. But the cost of the deal was you got to marry your daughter to my son because you're from this like high class aristocratic family, and it's it would be great for you, know, my.
Speaker 1: Juice, if we were attacked, if we were attached to you.
Speaker 3: I will say as well. This is a sequence that blew my mind last season. The mod Moth miss stuff I was here or there on I thought it was, but this visually and costuming and production wise, I felt like I was in the Prequels. Complimentary wedding dress looks pure Amidala. The floating wedding dress, the color grading the clothes that are worn here to showcase who is involved in the religion and who is not, and then you start to see some unexpected faces. Is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know how much natural light is used in some of these shots on Chandrilla and all the Monmotha stuff, but it looks so good.
Speaker 3: It looks so good, just beautiful, just looks gorgeous.
Speaker 2: You know what else is looking good? I found like I was like, might citle up to mom at the bar and be like, Yo.
Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, she's looking fantastic.
Speaker 1: You look great.
Speaker 2: I just want to tell you that thank you for all that you've done. She's looks understanding.
Speaker 3: That she's got the collar bones out, the little shoulders are shouldering, and also as well, I gotta say, I think the movie I think I think the creatives behind this season realize, oh, we have to make her an attractive prospect because that's going to play into where her storyline is going, especially with her shithead husband who I hate.
Speaker 1: Mathma is Mathma.
Speaker 2: Ing so anyway, But the whole there's various members of the of the Resistance Network is here Vella is there undercover.
Speaker 1: Luthen is there.
Speaker 2: He he's basically the wedding planner.
Speaker 3: Wedding showed up like looking so put together. I was thinking, bro, I remember your speech. How are you doing this? This is creeping me out and I love it.
Speaker 4: So Luthen is there.
Speaker 2: He has provided a lot of the specialty art, it seems, for this event. And of and it seems like Davo, s Goolden and Luthen have something cooking. They're constantly like you know, conspiring and talking and stuff. And then Luthen learns that the sign our mission has gone as planned, and then and Or has gotten away with the ship.
Speaker 4: Okay, great.
Speaker 2: We got to mina Raw, which is I'm calling Big Wheat. This is where Bis and the team is handing out, hiding out on Big Wheat planet.
Speaker 1: And it's an agricultural planet.
Speaker 2: A lot of the workers there are illegal beings from other places in the galaxy who are there seasonally to work. We see an imperial ship go across the sky and Bix and the crew start freaking out. They're like, fuck, what are the imperials doing here? Meanwhile, and Or lands whatever planet that he's supposed to hand off this ship to you know whatever team whatever resistance network team is waiting, uh, and he calls for his contact, Porko, but he's ambushed by basically you know when when the Empire said rebel scum and the original Star Wars trilogies, Yeah, I didn't understand it until now. We're about to meet the true rebel like proto rebel ye rebels. The rebels have not gotten their shit together yet, and this is like what we have. The people who are ambushing and or are like they have all the fire, they have all the zeal, they have none of the discipline, and they don't know what it.
Speaker 1: Talks us to truly do it.
Speaker 2: We go to the Mauthene Divide where Krenik is presiding over a meeting of a new project team, and he gives them this whole speech about like this is listen, whatever you're doing, whoever your bosses, they can't know about what we're doing in here.
Speaker 1: Everybody in here. That's it.
Speaker 2: It's closed off. We're just that's it. We're working on this thing and you're gonna find out what it is. Also, in this room, our deirdre are our friendly intelligence office, not friendly our intelligence officer from last year.
Speaker 3: Drum. I'm still trying to walk it out. She's she's being as enigmatic as ever.
Speaker 2: She has a hard or not, I don't know, and also a major part of gas is there hilarious not even a master. After the warnings, we get a presentation about the Gorman Valley, which is this galactically renowned producer of high quality textiles made from spider silk. And the Empire is really, really really interested in the Gorman, the Gorman Valley. They want this area, and we're about to find out why. Yeah, Kranik tells them that in addition to the uh spidery silk created there, there's also huge deposits of calkite under the valley that is necessary for the lens coating of the Death Star. That they have heard of it, and and if the Empire can't find some other synthetic or natural source somewhere else in the galaxy, well Gorman's got to be taken in by hand, and very very quickly and very very quietly, with a good reason. We go back to Cassian, the proto scum or like they're arguing it's like, is he an imperial?
Speaker 4: Is he not an Imperial the tie fighter there.
Speaker 2: They haven't eaten in two days, we discover and this goes on and on, like.
Speaker 3: How did they not bring snacks? Like, guys, come on, and they've also they've already had a split in the group because somebody is missing. Now. I will say what I love about these sequences is despite the fact that they clearly are just kind of to keep and Or on the side for a little bit. I will say I thought that the way that you see and Or immediately start scheming, and Cassian is suddenly like, yeah, I know Maya the person she was my contact, Like I'm he's so good at playing the game. He has learnt his lessons from Lutheran and he is not afraid to lie, to survive, to do whatever he has to to get the mission done.
Speaker 2: That part when he talks about Maya, I actually found him to be sincere in that moment. I thought he was like, hey, wait a second, I know your group. I'm supplyed, like I'm part of another resistance cell that's been supplying your group, Like what do you guys, we're on the same side, Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell. I don't know because I'm like she's obviously not Porko, who, by the way, is that Porkins, Like, I don't know as a rebel, but like, yeah, I also by the end of it was like, oh, this does make sense. Maybe this is the truth. But I think with Cassie and you can never know. And and I think that that Diego is doing such a good job of bringing that to life.
Speaker 1: Here Diego and his tasteful new cheek fillers.
Speaker 2: I'll say, let's just talk about it. I think his cheeks look really smooth and different now.
Speaker 3: They look very beautiful, like he's in the most expensive Star Wars show of all time.
Speaker 1: Truly.
Speaker 2: I'll also say that this sequence of scenes with Cassian and these kind of proto rebels, the rebels come. I found it to be a really trenchet commentary on.
Speaker 1: Left wing infighting.
Speaker 2: The hist like a thing that seems to be deevil progressive and left wing politics always as they tempt to struggle against uh, you know, capitalists and or fascist forces. There's a reason why uh you know, uh left wing movers and shakers can never seem to get it together to fight against fascism. It's because they're always fighting themselves and that's like a sadly true thing that's happening right now.
Speaker 3: Even Yeah, it's a great microcosm to here where also like this, they're fighting this battle within themselves that is not leading them anywhere and is just going to lead to them literally like eating each other and starving, while Krenick is planning essentially like galactic fracking and how to destroy an entire indigenous population. So it's like, guys, there's bigger things, just like team up and go in assassinate credits.
Speaker 1: That is what.
Speaker 2: Well, first we got to figure out who is more rebel, like who's the most people, who's the most You're exactly all Rightkrenick basically tells the group, Okay, here's what we're looking at. If we have to mine this shit in the Gorman Valley, it will cause the massive ecological collapse and like geological collapse of this entire region, including the destruction of nine notable cities in the region. And if we're gonna do that, we have to be careful because the Gormans have juice in the Senate and the rest of the planets are gonna get scared that the Empire is like out to get everybody and so we have to just find a good reason to go in there and do this to make it make sense. So he introduces d Shamba and NICUs Osar from the Ministry of Enlightenment. These are the propaganda guys, and they start throwing around.
Speaker 3: These opra or how like effectively off all this immediately becomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so then they start throwing around ideas about how, you know, we can make a case, how the Empire can make a case for annex in Greenland I mean, sorry Gorman Gorman Valley. And the idea is like, you know, we can basically we can turn public.
Speaker 4: Opinion against the Gormans.
Speaker 2: They're annoying and they're always like they're not helping out with the.
Speaker 3: Fire close they're too close to the spiders that are really scary. So it doesn't make that that make them monsters.
Speaker 2: And then we also learn that in you know, looking ahead to this eventuality, that they're going to try to annex Gore, annex the Gores, they've already started pre positioning like weapons in Palmo, the Gore capital. Krenick is like, Deirdre, you've been quiet this entire meeting.
Speaker 3: What do you got. This is a great idea. I love this idea, and.
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't know, really really yeah, she's very cagey and here's where to your point. I can't tell if she's like, I don't like this mission, I think it's terrible ethically, morally, egues, or if she's just like I want to be back up my old job, like I think this job sucks. I think it's more. I honestly think it's more that, like I want.
Speaker 3: To go on best with the access with finding these.
Speaker 4: She still wants to find access.
Speaker 2: Yes, so she's you know, critic eventually pushes her and she's like, well, what you need is a false flag operation, you need fake rebels.
Speaker 1: She doesn't go into it, but I think what she's.
Speaker 2: Suggesting, yes, is like a fake terrorist attack. And then we go in back on Mina. Raw B is still like Cassie and Cassie and when Cassie's coming back, where is he's coming back? And we discover also that the Imperials are on planet because they're doing an audit whatever that means. It's how much how much wheat is big we giving us, Like really they just.
Speaker 3: Want to go and act up and harass people on.
Speaker 2: Absolutely true we go back to the wedding. It's like the night before the wedding, it seems like folks are so socializing. Vel questions. Cleia, who you know, remembers the clerk at Luthen's shop who is also in the network, important person in the network, and she's like, what the fuck are you doing here? Like and I get it. Vella is worried, like why are all these spies in one place? There's way too many of us here, like that is weird. But she's like, well, our shop provided the art, and Luthen is basically the wedding planner, Like I gotta be here, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm handam.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Mon goes to smooth things over the light of after a fight with the groom to be and YadA, YadA, YadA, and we go back.
Speaker 4: We we end with like a final.
Speaker 2: Visit with our rebels who are having a They're now shooting each other because they're a fucking unseerious group of hot heads who legitimately can't get it together and are more interested in shooting each other than shooting at the Empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think like aboo, super producer Boo made a great point where it's like this also to within the world of Star Wars, the disper ultra secret of nature of the rebellion and how it is actively working against itself by their not being chains of communication like they.
Speaker 4: Just isn't thought like.
Speaker 3: A secret handshake, but it's something to prove that they are involved together.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's a good point aboo. But let me say this first of all, what one thing I love about and Or is that there are no It does not reflect the real world. It's completely just totally effecially. The one thing I've been thinking about is listen, you've got the Empire is extremely powerful. They control every space of communication, society, culture, and economics. There is no way to communicate openly about resisting them, period.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: It's not safe. You can't actually do it in that reality. How do you organize? Can't You can be selective in terms of the people who matriculate up into the higher levels of the resistance, where and Or and Luthen and the rest circulate because you're but in terms of who you are recruiting to take on this impossible goal of fighting the Empire, I think it makes rational sense. It doesn't make any it's not effective, but it would make sense that the people that you're going to get coming to your group are going to have a lot more zeal than ability. And they're also not the people that you know you can trust at this particular stage. They're the people who want to shoot. You need those people. Are they the smart enough people who have the nerve to like go undercover and do all the things that Luthen and and Or and the rest do. Clearly not they haven't. They don't have that kind of experience. So I take the point that, like, couldn't you communicate with them, but like, if you tell them what's going on at the top, your whole fucking operation is blown as soon as one of these fuckers gets captured.
Speaker 3: I will say this is even proven in this episode and Andal points out where he explains, like the guy explains who they are and that Maya is missing and everything, and then they're like, well, tell us what you're working on, and Ando's like no, and he's like he's like, well, you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have done that, Like sorry, you guys are shooting at each other and you were like tell me your entire operator. Get the fuck out of let's take a break and go to episode two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're back after the shootout.
Speaker 2: One fact, now the factions have completely split, and so you have the faction that is over by the Advanced Tie Fighter, the ship faction, and you have the shot the faction that has Cassian prisoner, the Cassian faction. Neither of them have food or water and they are all a fucking joke. On the way to work back on Coursot, Deirdre stops part Gaz to tell him, listen, I hate this Gorman Valley project.
Speaker 1: And it's not the genocide. It's not that.
Speaker 2: It's that I want to be back on Axis hunt duty. Get me back on Axis.
Speaker 3: Pod guys is like, good luck. Crenick told you this is your job, So this is your fucking job. Like you know, it's the empire, babe, it's not a democracy.
Speaker 2: Like he makes the careers point, He's like, listen, Credit tapped you to be in this. You can put your fucking mark on this. The Emperor has his eye on this project.
Speaker 1: This is great for your career.
Speaker 4: So what are you doing. Don't rock the boat.
Speaker 2: Back with the wedding party, Claya is increasingly concerned that, like we're not getting any news out of Mina Raw, like, what's going on? No word from the team. I don't know if Cassiean's back. And now it seems as if we're getting whispers that the Empire is in the area carrying out an inspection.
Speaker 1: What are we gonna do? She goes to Luthen.
Speaker 2: Luthen's like, well, I can't fucking do anything because I'm running.
Speaker 3: Up wedding, this wedding over there. I look at my hat, it's looking so great. It doesn't it's not quick.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Ominously, your favorite chanderline Parennia's husband, wis I wish everybody listening to this foe right now could have seen Rosie's face.
Speaker 1: I hate a parent?
Speaker 3: Am he am my lost.
Speaker 2: Paren ominously watching from the sidelines, And is this a hint of some something larger or not? Because parent does have an issue. He goes to mom, is like, your boyfriend, your little fucking boyfriend, take Homa, tell him to fucking stop knocking back the drinks because this guy's a mess.
Speaker 4: He's talking shit.
Speaker 2: Apparently he sees him and his wife got divorced. He's on his ass, no money made, some bad investments. This is what I'm here, he's like gossip, full gossip, and he's also like, I know, he's like, isn't he your lover?
Speaker 1: Your lover?
Speaker 3: And she's wearing the glam outfit, so you're feeling like he's like jealous. But you know what if she if he she has saw out a lover, it's probably because you are not performing parents.
Speaker 2: And then he and then he like leaves with like by the way, Tay is weak and he just like swishes off in his kimono.
Speaker 1: Yes, back on me and a rale Bix.
Speaker 2: Her group gets some news from a contact who comes from a nearby like sector. The Imperials are coming soon. There's about forty of them on planet air support unknown. They want grain, and they're looking for refugees and insurgents and basically anybody that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 1: And they're very worried because.
Speaker 3: You know, Cassian hasn't is set to arrive and he's.
Speaker 2: Got to get there before the Imperials get there. Our good friend Cyril shows back in up story. He's still working bureau, still working at the bureau.
Speaker 3: Now giving up.
Speaker 2: He's like a middle manager around and he's giving this like raw ross speech to this new worker, and he's basically saying, like you might. It's actually a great monologue where he's like, listen, you look at this and you think how boring, how boring, how boring. But I want you to know I was this fucking clothes to catching a rebel spy last year, and.
Speaker 3: You get it. Do something. If you do something, what you could be out there too. Yeah, that's right, standing head telling someone else they could catch and rebels.
Speaker 2: We meet some other members of Bix's cell. We meet Will, who has been in a little bit of a romance with a local farms farmer named Beila. They are out in the wheat of big wheat canoodling when the Imperials roll up to like a shop, a farmstead shop. Brosso bicks they are there as well. They start shitting bricks. They're the lieutenant. The Imperial lieutenant comes over to Bix and he's doing the whole Colonel Hans Landa in Ingloria's Bastard's thing, where he's very clearly like, oh, Bix, you're attractive.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna throw my weight around.
Speaker 2: Brosso comes up and keeps it from getting weird, but it's very very clear this guy is going to be a big fucking problem.
Speaker 3: Yea. He's like, oh, like, let's go to this little space that I know. And she's like, I'm married and he's like, okay, where is he? And he's a very convenient planet mechanic I know. So what he really means is, well, he's not here so I can do He showed off.
Speaker 2: At the wedding, Ta tells Mon that, hey, I'm glad that everything with the money laundering worked out.
Speaker 1: Last year.
Speaker 2: Because Tay was across that he was helping out. He was he was the unwitting cutout who was setting up this foundation, charitable foundation that was supposed to be the you know, basically the money laundering engine for the funds that we're going to be going to resistance fighters.
Speaker 1: It didn't quite work and they had to.
Speaker 2: Paul and Davo, and now Tay is like, well that foundation is up and running and the money is accounted for. But now I'm in charge of this weird foundation and I feel very vulnerable and uh, you know, I just feel like scared. And so Mon is getting anxious at this because the last thing she needs is someone who doesn't really know what she's up to but has sensitive information about her starting to freak out. What he does drop in this conversation the word rebellion and suggesting kind of I know what you're up to, and also says, by the way, I also.
Speaker 1: Need money, Like I'm hard on concern.
Speaker 3: We have established my hatred for parent, but I have to say, look, I'm not going to give him. I hate to give a man credit, but in this case, he was correct. This is exactly the worst kind of situation to be And you trusted an old boyfriend because you had a little crush and you know too much, and now in a situation where he's showing up and he's like, hey, so I'm broke and you're running the rebellion wink wink? Is this yeah?
Speaker 1: I hate?
Speaker 4: I hate if anybody ever found out about that, like that would.
Speaker 1: Be really terrible.
Speaker 3: I feel like Mama was like, I'm like, show probably just poisoned you.
Speaker 1: She's a hard core she.
Speaker 2: We're getting there and it's a good let's okay back on big Wheat. Bix, Brasso and the rest are like, Okay, we gotta get out of here, Like, let's figure out how we get out of him. That before the imperials come and they decide, Okay, we're gonna move to somewhere where the heat is not quite on.
Speaker 1: But where will that be.
Speaker 2: Clay is back at the shot at Luthen's shop to check the secret messages with the secret Message machine. Meanwhile, Mon tells Luthen back at the wedding that hey, I think we got a problem with Tay. He's freaking out. He's talking crazy shit. He said rebellion. He seems to know what we're up to, and he's saying we need money, and Luthen is like, well, looks like we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Have to handle him.
Speaker 2: Wink wink Winkna's like this is a great exchange because Mon says, I don't know what you mean, and then Luthen is like, hey, I forget exactly what he says, but he's like how he says, like, oh, how nice for you.
Speaker 1: In other words, like you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly what I mean, but you're pretending that it's my job to take care of this fucking guy. No, that's your ex boyfriend that we may have to kill and you would have to.
Speaker 1: Do it, dude.
Speaker 3: Mona is also this is a recurring issue with her thematically throughout the first season, and this season where she wants to get her hands dirty, but she doesn't. She refuses to do the work that actually has to be done, and that she there is a balance to be played here as her role in the society and everything. But this I think is a great interaction and I am on Luke, I love it well. I think until this man and you know.
Speaker 2: It speaks to the it humanizes this situation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the things I thought while watching this show season two is I think that this is the best from a technical standpoint, I think this is the best world building we've seen in Star Wars. Oh in terms of the societies, the cultures, the day to day living in this world, Like we really get it. And with mon Mon is an aristocrat, she hates what's going on. She's taken a huge, huge step, made a big decision, put herself on the line to try and help the rebellion in any way that she can with the levers that she has available to her. But it has not she'sn't gotten to that point yet.
Speaker 1: Where they're like, you have to kill someone, Like that's very different.
Speaker 2: If I'm a bureaucrat working in the empire and I'm leaking you know, Oh my god, this is terrible. I just found out about Gore. I'm gonna leak this to the resistance self. Okay, that's one thing. But if they're then like, hey.
Speaker 3: The wrong past, that's you kill that guy now, and you.
Speaker 2: Kill that's a huge I don't even think that's like I mean Abu saying idealistic versus pragmatism. I think that's true in a material sense, but I don't. But I think it ignores like the reality of how difficult what they're doing is and what they're asking me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's not a killer.
Speaker 3: I would also say that is one of the biggest achievements of and Or season one and season two, which is it's to really have a rebellion. It is not. Oh, I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm picked as the chosen one, and I have to fight and I can immediately do it, and I get trained in one day and I kill the bad guys and I blow up the Death Star. That's not the reality. And ever since Roguron, Tony Gilroy has been saying, no, there're so many millions of people, thousands of people who are affected every single day by these choices we're making, and who have had to die. You know, many Bothans had to die to get this information. Yeah, not just the bothains guys Like and I love that that's what Andor is doing. And the truth is, like, this is a fucking hard watch right now, but it's also a very important watch.
Speaker 2: It is a shocking ask forro Mon from Luthen, but it's also uh and I really empathize with her position because I think to get to that point, she's already had to make such a huge decision and now to be told, listen, we may have to kill someone.
Speaker 1: And it's not just like anyone. It is her childhood friend, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean, like this boyfriend who she trusted in season with this information. Also, I will say I think something that really struck me an episode one that plays a part in this ongoing conversation about Mon's role is there is a moment when she's talking to Late and I love how the cinematography goes from this bright, beautiful wedding ceremony to this kind of darkened chamber where they're talking and she looks at her and she says, I'm so sorry, and Leada looks at her and understands that what she's actually sorry for is that she sold her child into an arranged marriage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she had to do it for.
Speaker 3: This reason that Leda doesn't know. And while Leada was interested in this marriage, she's now kind of realizing like, well, this guy doesn't actually love me or know how to be a boyfriend, let alone a partner. He's just a kid, you know. And I think that that is what Mon's true sacrifice has been, is kind of like how far will she go and what parts of her life will she sacrifice? And I guess they're probably gonna have us ask is this a line that she would cross? I think she would. If it was a non horrific death where somebody was like, here is a poison, you can kill him, I think she would probably do it and shed a tear. I don't think she's gonna shoot him in the head. I don't think that's a way of being. But I think this is going to be a big moral conundrum going into episode three.
Speaker 2: Back at the Scum, the rebels all decide to have a truce. They drop their guns, and they basically do row Schambeau to see who will run the group from now on.
Speaker 1: That's how this is going to do with this. This is what a joke? These they're a joke.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, and Or, who has been giving them big tips throughout this struggle, has been like, hey, somebody set up a perimeter. It's raining, somebody collect rain water. You guys haven't eaten or drink for two days, and now you're nobody's collecting, Like, what are we doing? He takes the opportunity to sneak away. A very scary monster comes out and causes chaos, and in the chaos he shoots one of the rebels, gets on the advanced tie fighter and he flies away and we see in the in the in the wide as he screams up into space that he was on Yavin.
Speaker 1: Just hilarious.
Speaker 3: He was having his own mini Battle of Yavon, many years before it would happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a quick break. Wee right back, and we're back episode three. So and Or is up in space. The tie fighter has like crapped out. He has the hot wire and he can barely fly this thing. And it's a it's a problem. Back on mina big wheat, the farmers are at like a big stardoo valley farm banquet.
Speaker 3: It does look like that doing the stard Valley challenge where you have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got the most com Yeah.
Speaker 2: Brasso's contact arrives with news that the Imperials are getting really really close. Cassian has not been heard from, and he gives them like passes to go to another region of big wheat. But if they're gonna use them, they have to use him tonight. It's only good for today. And you can tell that this guy is fucking desperate. We go to the Weddinglida looks beautiful. Mathma tells her listen, like, if you don't want to do this, you don't to marry this guy, we can like delay it, we can make it, we can make an excuse.
Speaker 3: And she's trying, she's trying to be fine.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and and it's an active bravery. It's not an active cowardice to do that. And Lida is like, mom, are you freaking drunk?
Speaker 3: Like what is up with She's like, have you seen this fucking dress, Princess Abadala, and like this is looking good for me. I'm loving this.
Speaker 1: Uh. Cleya. It gets in.
Speaker 2: Contact with and Or and he tells her that the whole operation is upside down. He's in the wrong ship. The pilot of the ship is that he was supposed to give the ship to his dead He can't fly the ship, and I want to go back to Big Wheat to be with my team to figure out what's next. Well, Clay's like, well, there's a problem with Big Wheat. We don't have contact with Big Wheat right now. There is a communication blockade there and just seems like there's a lot of extra company, if you know what I mean, over there in Big Wheat. And then immediately and Or hangs up and he just fucking goes. He's like, uh, bags is that I'm not going find a Joel is pointing out that Mon is fucked if Leeda takes that offer because the financial deal hinges on that. Well, the financial deal is done, the money has already been smoothed over. So yes, I think Mon is fucked. But in terms of the money, the money laundering is finished. And I think what she would then have to do some damage control. But she could always spin it as like my daughter is freaking.
Speaker 3: She could delay it like she could spin it. They had an argument, but I think as well, I think that is a great point that Joel brings up because I do think that is a moment of mode putting being a mom and her daughter before being a rebel. Now where would that leave the rebellion? Like, does that show that her she has not fully taken that step. I think it's very interesting, but I was wishing that Lida would not take the weird arranged religious call.
Speaker 2: Into it, which she does, but she's also a yeah, that's true. Differently there on Chindrilla anyway, Deirdre is having is with Cyril and they're getting ready for dinner with mom.
Speaker 1: Oh oh h.
Speaker 2: It goes as you would expect, knowing Edie from last season, and Deirdre says that she grew up in an orphanage. My family are criminals, and oh, by the way, stop giving your son shit.
Speaker 1: Stay out of our business. I promise you.
Speaker 2: He will call you once a week. But you need to stop with the all the fucking nagging and all the mom stuff that you do, because it's like suffocating.
Speaker 1: It's not good for him. Okay, Wild was.
Speaker 3: Not expecting that, but Deirdra I think that the born in and raised in an orphanage where her family because her family was criminals. It's still saying she could be deep undercover for the Rebellion. I'm just saying like, I don't know what she's got going on, but she's still enigmatic to me. And yeah, the mom dinner sequence did not expect it. I feel like Tony's pulling out some unexpected intimate moments in this season that I did not think we'd get to see. Edie the draw a back door for the Ages.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that again makes this show so good is that it kind of subverts the traditional like bad guy a good guy duality that we've seen in Star Wars, where you have the good guy and then you have the bad guy, but the bad guy will be redeemed and become the good guy. It feels like you want to think that with Deirdre. But I truly think that any objection she has to the Gore Conspiracy is truly just because she's doesn't like the job. She wants to be back doing her other job that she.
Speaker 4: Was good, that she was good at, and she feels like she's.
Speaker 2: Being set up to fail with this Gore Conspiracy. She loves being an imperial stooge. She's good at it, but she wants to be good at it in her terms, and it's interesting to look.
Speaker 1: At that and be like, God, is she you know, is she good? Or even if there's any way for the Resistance to have leverage with her. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I also think that you make a great point because it's not only subverting the redemption of villainous characters, but also subverting the idea that the good characters win, because we know what the end of Rogue one is and while they do win, and Or doesn't get to survive to see it, much like Lutheran told him. And I think there is just something really heartbreaking about the fact that no matter where this journey goes, we know that the characters we are following are going to have to do terrible things to allow the Death Star to be destroyed, to allow the short time that the rebels defeat you know, the Empire before they get replaced by by Kylo Wren and his and his goons. But yeah, it's I think it's a really interesting subversion and I think Tony gilrey Is is the man to do it, and he delivers with these three eft.
Speaker 2: Zone in the tone zone. The the episode then kind of screams towards a climax, a dual climax, both on Mina Raw and at the Chandrulin wedding. At the wedding, Davo, uh, you know, makes like a speech about the bride and groom in front of this important and historic Chandy Merle statue that Luthen got for the wedding.
Speaker 1: He gives a benediction. Later, Luthen is making.
Speaker 2: The rounds as a talking to, you know, like making contact, seeing who's you know. He seems like he's socializing, but it's clear that he's also like who can I who can I meet? Who can I use? What contacts can I make? He keeps a close eye on Tay the whole time, and Tay is continuing to make these very increasingly not vague threats at Mond, saying well, I've also been talking to Davo, you know something on occasion, which Man and Luthan are are very keen to keep those two from ever talking, specifically ever talking.
Speaker 1: When they're not around. They don't want that.
Speaker 2: Then he's like, I gotta run, uh yeah, I got some stuff I gotta do, And then really concerningly.
Speaker 4: He almost says something else.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's really about to divulge something and then he's like, never mind, I gotta go.
Speaker 3: An is now in a full panic.
Speaker 4: She's panicking, and Luthen clocks this.
Speaker 1: He sees this.
Speaker 2: While that's happening. Back on Big Wheat, Bee finds out there leaving for another hideout, and he's fucking like, well, how is Cassie and gonna.
Speaker 1: Know where we moved?
Speaker 3: Like, that's my boy?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the Imperials are like, are about to enter this zone, about to enter this area. They're looking to move, but one of their group, Will is like, where the fuck is he? He's with that farm girl?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he is not a.
Speaker 2: The We should send him down to the minor leagues with the fucking factions shooting at each other.
Speaker 1: Get out here.
Speaker 2: So he's with his girlfriend Beila, and basically one thing leads to another and Brasso gets arrested by the Imperials trying to help Will. Meanwhile, Luthen and Mon talk about Tay. Why is he pestering, scolding so much? This is trouble. We're gonna have to do something. We can't have this guy like hanging around. Man is shocked at what Luthen is suggesting, and Luthen is shocked that she's shocked. She's like, why are you He's like, why are you shocked? What do you think that we're doing here?
Speaker 3: What do you think happens every single day?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you think we're gonna we're gonna do stuff, and just like it's a game of tag and we're never gonna get our nose you know, dirty or anything.
Speaker 1: You think that's go.
Speaker 2: She's really grappling this because, as we mentioned, this is like her, she was in a relationship with this guy. It's not just a stranger. And or makes radio contact with Bicks as he arrives in orbit with the with the tie fighter, and just at that moment when he gets he it's not a clear signal, but they speak a little bit. She knows he's in the area. But then the Imperial lieutenant Landa, the weirdo, shows up and it turns into an attempted assault. They end up fighting Bicks really fucks, like beats his ass with a hammer and correct. The rest of the Imperials who are over arresting Brasso, get the call to come over there and back up this lieutenant who is like, they don't know what's going on, but there's an attack there's a shootout. Cassian sees what's going on in the tie Fighter. He like takes everybody out with his The tie Fighter guns lands. Sadly Brasso is dead, and what are they gonna do now? They can't stay on this planet. It's unclear what's happened back at the wedding.
Speaker 3: Definitely like the organizer of like where they would go and getting them out safely. So it's a it's a pretty shocking ending, our first loss. We're probably gonna lose a lot more as the series goes on.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then we go to the wedding. It's intercut with this really incredible like a sequence of Mond dancing away all her stress to this kind of like dance the dance portion of.
Speaker 1: The wedding ceremony.
Speaker 2: And we also see as Tate is leaving the wedding that Vell kind of follows him out just to see where he's going, and she makes eye contact with our.
Speaker 1: Good friend Sinta. Of course Vlla and Cinta. There's a thing going on.
Speaker 2: She is tase driver and he clearly has no idea that she's a resistance anything.
Speaker 3: He's probably not surviving that drive. Let's be real, because that is what. I think she can kill someone when she needs to.
Speaker 2: Yes, So she's driving him away and it's clear that it might be the end for him. And we also get lots of shots of Mond in that flowy dress just really cutting up.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's very Florence in the machine if they could have.
Speaker 1: Been very, very Florence.
Speaker 2: And that is the end of episode three. An amazing first three episode drop of the and Or television program. A television program that is very, very expensive, that looks like a million zillion bucks, that has a lot to say about to assist resist empire in a completely fictional world with antic connection at all thing and a lot to think about. Your thoughts, Rosy on these first three episodes.
Speaker 3: I agree, a lot to think about. Great three episodes. I think it's exactly what people who loved and Or wanted. Will it make the viewing public connect with and Or? I will say I think that the opening sequence is a great hook to get people in, to get new viewers in, because A there's the shocking twist of him seeming like he's a stormtrooper, and then b you get that huge, really brilliantly put together kind of escape sequence that's so unlike anything we've seen in Star Wars before, but that feels completely Star Wars in its own way. It's so beautifully done, it's so chaotic, it's Tony Gilway is not having any issues making us feel like this is a top tier Star Wars story. So I'm very excited and I'm excited to chop it up with the producer's next episode.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our producers Joel and we were both taking us to task for our criticism of Will for you know, you promised you wouldn't say goodbye to be he would say goodbye, that he would say Gooby, he wouldn't just leave. But then she also like found his blaster. Here's my issue with that he left.
Speaker 3: Look, I love I think we all need to love and joy undefined.
Speaker 4: We need more love.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's important, but also bro, like just be barter at hiding your stuff, like, don't take the blaster, don't take the speed, don't leave the speed away. The Empire is gonna find it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that there's actually like a really important idea here, which is like, can you fight something terrible without effectively becoming terrible terrible thing while fighting it?
Speaker 1: And I think like the idea that like.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't honor love and take those moments to really be alive, like mon in this moment of dancing and being trying to be free in this moment of extreme danger. At the same time, if b is killed, it's because of Will doing this. Yeah, he being sloppy, getting involved with a person who shouldn't know about any of this stuff. And that's how you have to balance this stuff. I just come on, Will, like you're gonna get everybody killed?
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: I'm excited to talk about this with the crew. Yeah. On Friday.
Speaker 2: Friday on Extra Vision, we are convening the Jedi Council to talk about the first three episodes of Andword season two News on Saturday. On Tuesday, we asked the question many are asking, who are the Thunderbolts.
Speaker 4: That's it for this episode.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion.
Speaker 3: And Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean, Jonathan and Bay wag.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator,