Speaker 1: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 2: Guess who's back in the house. It's the Players Lounge and you are now rocking with the best. I'm Hecmharrison alongside former Dallas Cowboys safety Barry Churches in the building and man, listen, tonight today we are going to dedicate this show to Rosie Rosie. This is the Rosie Show because my man knew Scrugs lost his dog, Rosie row Row and so he's not in the building. He's not in the building today with us because uh, yes, dog passed away. And I know it's a tough thing, man, So yeah, I want to make sure that I send my condolencens out to him and the Scrugs family. And dealing with the loss of a pet, I don't you know.
Speaker 3: I couldn't.
Speaker 4: I only lost one pet my lifetime, when I was my childhood dog.
Speaker 3: What's the childhood doll's name?
Speaker 4: It was Flash, not Flash flash Man, And so Flash was gone sorry, no, no, no, not flash Cleo clear, I'm sorry, Clil, Clil.
Speaker 3: She lasted about I want to say.
Speaker 4: Thirteen years, thirteen thirteen years, and she was she was the heck of a dog, smartest heck. Got a family dog now, Coco. She's on her way up there now, twelve years now. I was like, man, you know what, that's just what I'm telling you. I know how tough that is. Growing up, I didn't have any pets. My mom just she wasn't a pet person. She is, but she wasn't with the pets at all. So you know, I was the only one. But then it wasn't until I was an adult. And you know, my wife she had a dog, and so when we got married, we had to get a dog. So I raised my dog Kato. You made me say Coco Kato, and uh man, he passed away and Barry, I didn't want another dog. I didn't want another dog. I did not want another dog.
Speaker 2: But then we saved the dog went down to the pet you know, the shelter found someone that last chance dog and we adopted the dog. Man we got papers on it. I don't know how old she is, she might years, I know, but we love her to death, and I couldn't even I couldn't even imagine. I couldn't even imagine being here so newly. Listen, man, I want I want to make sure I send my condolcens out to you and your family.
Speaker 3: I know that's a tough thing.
Speaker 2: And look, we gotta do the players lounge, man, So we're gonna get into it.
Speaker 3: What have we been talking about this whole time before we do that? What we gotta do? You know, you know how bad?
Speaker 2: But see, listen, listen, hold on, hold on, no, but see I felt like because I was, you know, Rosie, and we was doing all that.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. I just want to thank you. I just you know what I'm saying, Man, accountable, I heard trying to do. I'm just trying to help my very arry.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I do when I'm on these shows, man, Always make sure I check in. I want to check in with your brother. How are you today? Thank you for asking?
Speaker 4: And I'm doing amazing as always, man, super bluffs. You know life is good, family, you know friends. Everybody is healthy for the most part, so you know life is good.
Speaker 3: Man. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm doing good, man, yesterday, my son had his first scrimmage, young young heck man, and I'm telling you it's uh, my nerves, well my nerves. I'm so was so happy when the game was over. But he did good. An inner squad or like they went against Louisville. They went against louis came all the way out here from Saxony. My son plays wide receiver for the Saxony Mustangs. Here in town in Texas, Texas is a football thing here. But we went to Louisville. He plays first schedule scrimmage and it was awesome. Man, he did good. Finch with three three catches, I think forty yards, you know, just some men solid. So getting our feet wet man ready for the season. So mental, my mentals are cooking. My brother, I'm ready, love, ready to go. Now let's get let's get into it.
Speaker 3: So listen.
Speaker 2: Linval Joseph, We've been talking about lin Val Joseph for a while now, and we said that Mike Zimmer was going to need his tools, was the way we put it.
Speaker 3: You know, Carbinger needs his tools.
Speaker 2: And there was some some names being thrown around, and lin Val Joseph obviously his name came up because he was a free agent. Number one, but number two. Uh he played for Mike Zimber Zimmer for a number of years. Yeah, Minnesota and so Linval Joseph now going into its fifteenth year.
Speaker 4: Kudos of that. That's a big especially at that position. That's a big time. Fifteen years, that's a lot in the league.
Speaker 2: So what do you what was your I mean, obviously didn't surprise you, but when you saw the signing, what did you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, starting off, we knew, you know from.
Speaker 4: The comments that Jerry made that you know, they weren't done, you know, trying to make this roster better, make it more complete heading into the season. And we all understand that's what NFL teams do heading into the You won your roster as strong as possible, with as much depth as possible, because, like new he says, this is a long season.
Speaker 3: Seventeen gats a long season.
Speaker 4: So I understand they were gonna go out there and grab somebody that they felt one knew the system, that Zimmer you know, likes the place for his defense and could also be that veteran presence. You know, I didn't think they were gonna go after a guy in year fifteen. I'm gonna have to be honest.
Speaker 3: With you on that.
Speaker 4: Look, if this was twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen lin Val Joseph, I'd be a static.
Speaker 3: I'd be jumping on them.
Speaker 4: I was still in the league, he was doing that, and I'd be on the table jumping up and down, like, man, this is it. This is that guy. Because when you look at it back then, he was that gap stopper.
Speaker 3: He was that guy that let those linebackers.
Speaker 4: Kendricks had some of his best years, you know, behind lind Val Joseph because he didn't get touched. He was able to go sideline the sideline with those Minnesota Vikings when linv Vald Joseph was there.
Speaker 3: But man, I was eight years ago, eight seasons ago. That's a while ago.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We look at you know, liv vald Joseph.
Speaker 4: Now past two seasons, he's played fifteen games total, you know, out of thirty four he played fifteen games.
Speaker 3: Total these past two seasons. So when I look at it, I'm like, man, what what am.
Speaker 4: I really going to expect out of the veterans vet because that's what he is at this point, fifteen years in the game. On that defensive line. You're the veterans of vet right. There usually only quarterbacks get that that long in the game. So what do I want to expect from him going into this season. I'm and I think about it, I'm like, he could be that gap stopper still because you know, he's a big man. It ain't like he slimmed up or anything like that. He's a big man. I don't expect him to, you know, get much penetration when it comes to getting after the passer. But at the very least, you know he can keep those offensive linemen off of Kendricks, off of Clark, off of over shown he could that he can do that still in my opinion, But you know, how many games is he going to play?
Speaker 3: You know, how long is he going to be able to do that?
Speaker 4: This is already a defense that's depending on Kendricks to remain healthy.
Speaker 3: He's in year eleven.
Speaker 4: The Marcus Lawrence, they're depending on him to produce. He's in year eleven, and now you're depending on you know, I'm not going to say put it all on his shoulders, but you want him to produce as well at year fifteen, and it's you know, that's a tall task for somebody playing that defensive line. So I guess if the rotation is right, you can get the most out of them, you know, for a stretch of games. But you know, I just to me, just like I said, this was twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, I'd be a static right now. I see it as a depth piece and you know, hopefully hope him maybe we can squeeze you know, twelve games out of him this year, and that's just my hope. But that's depending a lot on a veteran presence of a defense.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean everything that you brought, I think the one thing that stuck out to me what you just said was Kendricks having his best years with so like I think, man, with your years in the NFL, you know for sure, Barry, that a a one technique can make a linebacker look outstand, outstand and make it look outstand.
Speaker 3: And when you have a guy of lin.
Speaker 2: Voss Joseph's caliber, and what what exactly is Mike Zimmer going to ask of him? I mean, if you think of him in his first year in twenty ten, when he played for the New York Giants, that's when I was Linvald Joseph because he won a Super Bowl. People forget about that about part of that Super Bowl team, and he was a part of a defense that was you know in those years with the Giants, man, they shut down the run and a lot of the things that you want to do. You saw m mass he went those Viking years again, a presence in the middle.
Speaker 3: I know that right now.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys, when you talk about what their main objective is coming into twenty twenty four, it has to be stopping the run.
Speaker 3: That's gotta be it. You got the.
Speaker 2: Secondary, you got this look, you got all the other pieces. You got all the other pieces that you know you can. You can get stops in the run. You can definitely create turnovers with those dbs. You trust those guys. You have some all pro guys at both sides of corners. On your corners, your safeties are sure fi These guys can tackle. But your linebackers last year showed you that if you did, we're not able to hold that ground. Your linebackers could not work. And it didn't matter. I mean, you can get on these young guys and say, man, they didn't look too good. You could talk about an undersized linebacker and bel his specialty is his speed. When he can't use his speed, he is less than average. He is left less than average. And so the bigger thing also calls to MASI okay, because now you understand, and I think it's not a sound the alarm. It's just that this guy that we are, we drafted high and we expected for him to hit the ground run and hasn't gotten there yet. And it's not that we can give him a full sample side. We can't give him all of it yet, we're still having to unveil it to it and look, bring this guy along and a guy like Linval Joseph to me, is going to be great for the development of Mazzie Smith. I mean, you think about your years and I think you came in Gerald Sena.
Speaker 3: Was that guy, was a guy that was ahead of you.
Speaker 2: Talk about that as as being even that piece you know, you ask what he has in the tank, but also being a presence in the locker room for.
Speaker 3: A young guy like Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 4: Now, if that's what we're we're basically saying, like that's what lim voh I'm assuming will come that We're all we're all assuming right here. But if that's his you know, kind of role here is to be that veteran presidence not only in the locker room, but to teach these young guys on the field what Mike Zimmer wants out of his defense. Then I think it's an unbelievable signing because, like you said, he he was with Zimmer through those Minnesota years. He understands what he wants that one tech three tech to play and how to play it, so he can definitely teach these young guys, mainly Mazzie Smith, the way to go about it.
Speaker 3: At the defensive tackle position.
Speaker 4: Now, the thing is, can he can he get out of Masi what maybe the coaching staff hasn't been able to so far in his two years here at with the Dallas Cowboys. Can he show him the techniques to bring out that potential because like you said, hey, we we still.
Speaker 3: Haven't seen it. We still haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: And I'm not gonna put Mazi in the taco category just yet because he's like the sample size has been too small. But we need as many people possible, coaches, players, vets coming in there to try to get this guy to tap into his potential to get to that next level, because we all understand how important that position is when you talk about stopping to run, and last year it was a big eyesaw that middle of that defense. Now you had Osa who played you know, in my opinion, he played out standing, but he was more of a let me get.
Speaker 3: After the pass rusher type defensive tack.
Speaker 4: And to me, when you talk about needing for this defense, you need a guy that's gonna sit and have concrete blocks on his feet and nobody's gonna be able to move him out the way, no matter if you've got a guy trying to double team him from the left right, he's gonna stand his ground.
Speaker 3: You know, he may not get up the field get all these sacks, but he's.
Speaker 4: Gonna stand his ground so that Kendricks and all those other guys can do what they do best, and that's come down here.
Speaker 3: He'll stop the run.
Speaker 4: If that's what lim Vaugh is here to do to get the most out of Mizzi Smith, I'm all for.
Speaker 3: I just get nervous because I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Mozzi if he got that, if he got that mentality to be able to go out there and be that one technique that this defense needs. And then then you're gonna put more on the plate of a Limbaugh Joseph who's in year fifteen.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a slippery slope.
Speaker 4: But if he can get Mazi to get that untapped potential out of there then or out of himself, then I mean.
Speaker 3: Then this defense then you're cooking with grease.
Speaker 2: And then also please remember, as you mentioned before, Jerry said that, look, we're not done with calming other rosters. And you bring in Karl Lawson and Jordan Phillips, and so Carl Lawson obviously a five technique guys gonna play out on the outside, but Jordan Phillips is a guy that you're gonna move down internally that can also be that piece to have some tweener between one and a three technique. But before we go to break, I want to switch. I want to switch up here and talk about the NFC East because a lot of people on the outside of this building believe that there are teams, and you've been seeing it through these signings. There are teams that are getting really good and right now in the NFC's In one signing in particular, something that I thought was really weird, Dan Quinn takes it upon himself to trade some picks, but also since Johan Dotson he receives picks. But since Jahan Dotson, a former first round, sixteenth.
Speaker 3: Pick in the first round wide receiver to.
Speaker 4: Philly within the division, within the division, that's rare. Wait a second, So, Dan Quinn, do me a favor, don't do us no favor?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 2: What is that? That was a weird That was a weird trade. Now to me, that's super weird.
Speaker 4: I've only seen it happen maybe once or twice, where a guy gets traded within the division, and it goes to show you what that coaching staff thinks of Johan Dotson. Because if you're sitting here saying, all right, we're gonna trade you for some pigs, knowing you gotta go against this guy twice a year, you would think, oh, we're gonna send him somewhere else, maybe still within the NFC, but not the NFC East.
Speaker 3: So basically twice, see him twice.
Speaker 4: So basically, what Dack what was saying is, you know, hey, we don't think much of you, and we don't think going going to one of our division rivals will affect us playing them twice a year.
Speaker 3: But to me that was that was a weird trade, but kind of a kind of a sneaky good one for Philly. I think it's sneaky good.
Speaker 2: You know, talent talent wise, if you just do a comparison on the rosters Philly, Philly that has gotten better. I think the signing of Saquon Barkley is the one is the one I think that everyone points to then they go, they got Squon, And that's what what Saquon signing gonna do is gonna cut down on a lot of Jalen Hurts running and that's the thing that ends up, you know, wearing him down towards the end of season. So you're gonna start to get the best part of Jalen also with that running game being as effective as it can be. But John Dotson coming out of Penn State back in twenty twenty two was a one of those receivers you look, take the top off a guy that could get you that yackyard and she could do it all. But for some reason out in Washington with Terry McLaurin, it never kind of started to materialize. And I guess Washington figure like that we got enough weapons already as it is now. Washington, on the other hand, that's another team that if you look at their roster and it looks young quarterback that you look you cannot go out here and put too much on a young especially team with a young quarterback.
Speaker 3: But we've seen in.
Speaker 2: Houston what the infusion of a young quarterback can do for your squad. And if you're sitting here and you're the Dallas Cowboys and you're seeing like everybody except for the Giants right now, the Giants right now, it's probably like that's the one team in the nfc S that you're like, are you guys like literally trying to be bad a win? But there has not been a repeat NFC East Divisional champ since two thousand and four. This is twenty years since this has happened. So that is wise wise and so if I mean, you got twenty years worth of history here, and I guess my, my, my biggest question to you is, after you think about these trades and think about how teams are getting better in the NFCS, what are the chances that this twenty year trend is broken with the Cowboys winning it again?
Speaker 3: Whoo? I mean, it's gonna be tight. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I see you know, early early opinions on this, and you know, we all got to see the season play out, but early opinions. Man, it's definitely gonna be a three three team race. And I don't think anybody is just gonna you know, the past couple of years has always been either Philly or Dallas kind of pulling away one of the others gonna win.
Speaker 3: Washington.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be a sneaky team this year because we you know, they got a rookie quarterback, but the one Achilles heeled you know, to a lot of defenses, and it's you know, Cowboys as well has been in that quarterback that can escape, that quarterback that can run by time with his feet, you know, look downfield to still make those big plays. And that's what they have in Jade Daniels, in my opinion, is a guy that can use his legs, but he can also throw the ball extremely well. So the guys Gry Terry McLaurin on the outside, they got a lot of weapons. And with Dan Quinn, you know, that defensive side of the football is gonna be ready. You know, they gonna come to play you've seen. But when he came in here and infused that talent on this defensive side of the ball, what they were able to do with the Cowboys, it turned everything around. So you understand what's gonna happen on that defensive side of the football for the for the Commanders, they're gonna have pressure on the quarterback. You already know that they're gonna be opportunistic in the secondary.
Speaker 3: So to me, Washington's gonna be a little sneaky team.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, I think it's really gonna come down to Philly in Dallas. I mean, we all understand that the Dallas Cowboys have the best quarterback in the division. And at the end of the day, when you have that best quarterback in the division, you're always gonna have a leg up.
Speaker 3: All right. Dak Prescott to me, is the best quarterback in this division. So I would give it about a.
Speaker 4: Sixty percent chance that the Cowboys break that that NFC East curse.
Speaker 3: I give I give it a sixty percent chance, And I need to start my little book.
Speaker 4: You got the best back and got the best defensive player in the in the in the in the division, sixty. I say that, I say sixty right now as of right now. You know, we still got time seasons. You know, a couple of weeks. I got in the book, We got tired, got that dandy Dad got in the book, got the best quarterback, the best defensive player.
Speaker 2: That's what I was just about to say, Dad Quinn doesn't have Dad Quinn, don't have Michael.
Speaker 3: That show made life easy. Quit.
Speaker 2: But man, we got to get into this preseason game because we have a preseason game going on at home. Preseedon one home preseason game is being played at a t T Stadium this Saturday versus the Los Angeles Chargers. Man, I'm he's Barry Church, I'm hec Ma. Harrison will be right back after this.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Hey, they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo, bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a prown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler g A M B l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 8: The press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 3: He escaped laft. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Preus Scott's gonna run this himself. Run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com Slashoys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: Alright to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 2: The creators of Buffalo Casino Games brings you Cowboys themes casino games developed by Aristocrat Find America's team on and Off the Reels now at a casino near you. Do you have a gambling problem, Please contact one eight hundred Gambler for twenty one and old back in the s WBC Mortgage Studios, Heck Maharrison alongside Barry Church.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge. This is the Rosie.
Speaker 2: Show dedicated to our man, Lewis Shrugs is dog that he lost row row pass this morning, and we will make sure we dedicate this show to him, because I know our brother. His heart is heavy in the Scrugs family. But Saturday, Saturday, three o'clock, we have a scrimmage. That scrimmage, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: A preseason game. Yeah, it's a scrimmage, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: It's a scrimmage pres a preseason game between the Los Angeles Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys. And I'm telling you, man, I wish this was a regular season game because I want to see I want to see what Harball is putting together over there.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, hey.
Speaker 2: Justin Herbert is walking in the boot right now with a bad case of plantar, so that hey, hey see how that affects him. But we're going to get a helping of well, I don't know if Easton stick and Lewis Perez east Stick. Yeah he's sticking still around, and look we still get an opportunity to see more of Probably this Trey Lancer probably played the entire games, made some made some advancement from his first game in the second game, so I got a lot, a lot better confidence there for what what should be your number three quarterback on this roster. But for a lot of guys, and you've been in this position before plenty of years at this position. This is this has been this, This Saturday's game is very important for a lot of guys go ahead, and it's one of those things like you you are now getting an opportunity to make a case for yourself for being able to make this fifty three band roster. And so man, just talk to that and what that pressure is like playing in that.
Speaker 4: This this game is huge when you talk about guys towards the bottom half of the roster, because that's all you know, every team in the National Football League is trying to do. Spoke on it a little bit earlier, but they're trying to make sure that a roster as strong as possible going into the regular season. So guys towards the bottom of the depth chart, and I've been there, you know, my first probably two years. You know, I was at the bottom of the depth chart trying to figure out how ways to make this team. And this game right here is stressful and it's one of the hardest, if not the hardest game. I probably say I've played in the National Football League. When's when you talk about condition wise, because you're gonna be on every single special team, offense, defense, whatever you played, you're gonna get all those reps, especially if you're at the bottom and the roster trying to make this team or at least trying to put good tape out there for other teams to pick you up if you do end up getting released here. But you're on every single special teams I'm talking about, you're covering punts, well, straight from covering punts to playing safety or whatever position you play on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: You know, then you're going.
Speaker 4: On punt return, kickoff, kickoff return, like and you're getting about you know sixty, you know, so whatever snaps in that game on the defensive ward office side of the football.
Speaker 3: So to me, this is one of the hardest games.
Speaker 4: And I remember being McCrae, you know, after our rookie season and we had to do this last game. I think we played against Miami and at the time, they had a aging Ricky Williams was in there, and we was like, we ain't gonna have to go against Ricky, Like, ain't we aint gonna have to play against it. Man, lo and behold you know, I guess he was trying to make the ropters.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: So we go out there where you know, everybody's hyping everybody. Yeah, we got to do this. We're gonna do this.
Speaker 3: Here comes Ricky Williams out the bet.
Speaker 4: I'm like, hold on, man, wain't a second against Ricky.
Speaker 3: Man, And let me tell you. I'm playing in the middle of the field.
Speaker 4: Ricky gets a draw, breaks through the D line, breaks through the second level. Man, it's me and Ricky one on one, and I'm like, man, here we go. Because I growing up, that's who I was watching Texas. But he was holding down man. That man hit me with the illus one two step and got up out of there. No, I'm talking about left me reaching. I'm real, I'm grabbing out there. I'm grabbing turf, you know, those little black beads that are in the turf flying up in my face. Ricky skated off, somebody else ended up tackling him up one of our corners, and I'm sitting there like, that's it, man, that's I'm thinking of myself.
Speaker 3: Man, I didn't do enohing this preseason.
Speaker 4: They have to be locked and then I made a you know, a missed the tackle and it made a big play.
Speaker 3: What's gonna happen, man, I'm thinking it's over with.
Speaker 4: But you know, our special teams coach at the time, Deacon Millis, you know, he showed love. He was like, nah, this guy got something, so we're gonna keep him on the roster. And that's why. And it brings me to my point. When you and these young guys and they're going out there, everybody thinks you gotta be great on either offense or defense. I gotta make an interception, I gotta you know, get a sack. I gotta make ten tackles.
Speaker 3: And that's good.
Speaker 4: That's all well and dandy, But where you want to make your hay at it, especially if you're on the bottom of that roster, is you got to make a play on special teams. You gotta show consistency on special teams, whether you're gonna you know, protecting the punter, hunt, return, blocking, whatever the case may be. That's where you want to make your hay at. You know, defense is great, offense is great, but nine times out of ten, if you're on the bottom of the roster, you ain't gonna see the offense or defense no time soon. So special teams in this last game for those guys, you've got to go out there and make sure you show Fossil coach Jim John Fossil that you belong on this field with these guys and you deserve a spot either on a fifty three or whatever. The dress how many players they dress nowadays, you got to make sure you go out there and show that coach that you can play.
Speaker 3: Offensive. Defense is great, but special teams, you gotta make it happen. There.
Speaker 2: Man who knew that Ricky Williams almost made you a financial advisorburgh, come see me.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about your forward game. How can we help you to I ain't the same Barry Church I known. Dude hit me because he had that mean like triple T man the advisor. I'm like this, dude, one two step was gone. I said, Oh, that's a rap for me.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: So you know, obviously watching all these preseason games, knowing what's going on in camp for you, who would be your dark horse player to make this roster?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: A guy that kind of reminds you of yourself the matter offense or defense. But the guy that you say look, this guy has an opportunity to make the squad. So I would have to say, and I don't know if he's you know, that far at the bottom of the house, he may be a lock already. But you know what, I would love to see a little bit more of him out there. But Brooks, Jaylen brook to the receiver.
Speaker 4: To me, you know, each year he's been here, he's made strides and when you talk about getting your opportunity on the football field.
Speaker 3: He's done a great job offensively.
Speaker 4: We've seen him in that first game when Cooper Rush was out there, I believe it was against the Chargers. He was the one that caught that deep ball from Cooper Rush early in the game. He makes those plays on a consistent basis, and he does, you know, great in training camp. You know, he just hasn't had that that he's had that chance during a regular season to go show what he can do. But to me, I understand you can do it on the offensive side of the football. We understand you can receiver, you can make plays. I just love to see him be able to do that same thing and make an impact special teams wise, whether it's being a gunner getting down there like I said, or covering kickoffs, like I said, getting down there, because that'll get you dressed during the regular season. That'll get you out there on the football field running out of the tunnel.
Speaker 3: White's going crazy, you buckling them up. That'll get you.
Speaker 4: That opportunity is if you go out there and you're able to do it on special teams. So, like I said, receiver wise, I understand he's a good receiver. He'll probably end up being the you know, maybe fifth or sixth option out there.
Speaker 3: But if you want to go out there and get dressed on a regular.
Speaker 4: Basis, I want to see you do some of that on the on the special teams case.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting here, I want to make sure that I'm looking at I mean, there is a ton of depth at the cornerback position, and obviously a ton of ton of depth, and you know, and you know how good you are on both sides, uh, Treyvon Diggs a lot doron Bland.
Speaker 3: All right, Jeorge Lewis Lock.
Speaker 2: You know you have guys in that secondary case Carson who's made his cases, he's been playing well. But a guy by the name of Keemon Hall he did his day last look look go me go mean Green, I'm going home world this one for sure. But Keemon Hall, to me, has made a case for himself. And look, they're guys like Eric Scott. There are other players on the scene that you know obviously are coming over to Mike Zimmer from another regime. But still I think you know they're gonna go.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's Rock's in.
Speaker 2: I see Rocks in the month, so I had to give a shout out. But but keem On Hall is a player that I think man has made a case for himself. Now as you stated, as you stated, it's gonna come down to special teams.
Speaker 3: What can you do? What can you do?
Speaker 2: And I think those are the Those are guys like that that even if you know, I would be watching him as a player to see if another team picks him up. I mean, because he's been in the league for quite some time. It's not like he's one of these young guys first year in the league. But you see that play making ability from him man, and it would be it would be good to see a guy like that make make the team. But also I got it, since you can pick me in. None of the guys that I thought you were gonna pick number number fifty seven, Buddy Johnson, Buddy Johnson, and I'm torn, and I'm torn between Buddy Johnson and Nick Vigil.
Speaker 3: Those you're saying Willie Harvey is a lot, I think will he's a lot. Yeah, I do too, I think he's a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, he didn't have as good as showing that first time around, but I just think that what you've been hearing from him out of camp. So if he doesn't, I mean, look, it's it's really a toss up though there. And you never know when he especially when they're making spots for other guys which house they're still, So he may be one of those guys like c J.
Speaker 3: Goodwin. You know, you know CJ. Get cut. Yeah, they're gonna bring you so well repaired. We prepare ourselves for that right now. But those are the guys.
Speaker 2: And and I'm really interested, also, Barri, to see some of these other positions. What are they thinking in some of these other positions like running back We talked about this a couple of days ago, but how many do they playing on keeping in the running back room? How many wide receivers do they keep? I do think your guy Jalen Brooks is a lot you think I think I think he's locked in and I just think he's he's big, He's made a cast for himself. He's definitely improved on last season, and I think you need another presence and he's a young guy that's that's showing you that he has something.
Speaker 4: I'm with you on that one for sure. So I'm definitely good on the Jalen Brooks one one position. And I want to get you thoughts on this. And I'm not sure if either of these guys you know, will play or have a lot of playing time, but we've talked about it at length in this offseason. Which is the center position, brock Hoffman and bib which has been a battle back and forth. You've seen the coaches they're starting to grow with Bebe and as far as him, you know, understanding that center position because he played guard in college, but understanding as a unit how to play there. But then you also got I wouldn't call him a veteran, but you got Hoffman in there, who's had some experience at the center position as well. I would love to see those two in this preseason game. I know you're not gonna have, you know, Smith or Martin next to you and the starting offensive line, but just to get those guys more experienced and basically see, you know, whoever plays better is gonna get that spot because these right now, these guys are neck and neck, and usually it goes to the guy with the higher draft capital, which would be BB. But I don't know what are your what are your thoughts on on on them playing in this last.
Speaker 3: I said it.
Speaker 2: I said it on Wednesday, man, I'll say it again. I think that when you have two guys, you have an incumbent and you have a rookie in the same category, if the incumbent is in leaps and bounds better than the rookie, then you're gonna go with the rookie. I mean it seems to me like Hoffman, he has been a feel good story and a guy that I think you know has shown you that you have some added depth there. He can be that depth piece for you. But I think you cannot keep Cooper BB's nasty on the sideline. You need that, you need that. And the whole thing about your team the offseason on down has been toughness. Everybody's questioning our toughness. Are we tough? As a team, when you get another guy in there that you say, oh he got a little bit of nasty to him. That counts in December, you know it, you know. And so at some point, as we said, as you know that it's a long season, just knowing that you have that extra piece there, I think it's gonna be good for coach McCarthy going into the season. But when we come back, we're going to talk about expectation. I know that we haven't gotten to We're gonna wait until next week a couple weeks to start talking about the schedule and what we predict. But there are some players that have a little bit of extra pressure on them coming into this season. But also you know it, pressure is good, all right, but the bus will make that Hey, there you go, Pauls. And what we're gonna do, We're gonna come well, come right back. This the players Lounds Baby Who.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The Bowld Unique Apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 5: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King asking what's that that's the sound of me sipping one of their power Pack smoothies with over ten grams of pro team with real fruits and organic veggies. Because they're Smoothie King, what you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your job and gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one hundred Gambler. That's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 8: Raising Kaines presents the other rules of football.
Speaker 3: Rule one. Any broadcast without.
Speaker 8: The express edition of cook to order Cane's chicken fingers is prohibited.
Speaker 3: Rule twelve.
Speaker 8: No crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one.
Speaker 3: Anybody who loves to feed their game.
Speaker 8: Face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers. One love go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 2: The creators of Buffalo Casino Games brings you cowboy theme casino games developed by Aristocrat. Find America's team on and off the reels now at a casino near you. Do you have a gambling problem, Please contact what one hundred Gambler for twenty one and over. Back in action here at the Playoffs Lounge for the final segment.
Speaker 3: This is the Rosie Show Hole Show.
Speaker 2: He shout the Rosie Man. Dedicated to Rosie and Aristocrat. To read that again. But he's so good, so good, don't you agree? Maybe say it twice? Yeah, man, I think I know the lady that hand hands these out. So we'll have a conversation. But so I was talking about expectation. I'm not gonna get myself in trouble talking about expectation. And look, I want to know from you because I think this off season, in this Cowboys camp has.
Speaker 3: Been filled with so much drama.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a lot of drama out here in these Cowboy streets, and a lot of it is concerned in certain position groups and certain players. So you don't have to pick one. You can mix and match, you don't. It doesn't have to come from the same side of the ball. But I want you to tell me your expectation. Give me, give me what your expectation is going to be for a certain position group and expectation for a certain player.
Speaker 3: You say, all right, so.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna go with the you know what you had said at first, I'm gonna mix it match a little bit off the side, and I'm gonna go to defensive side of the football. But when you talk about a position group that I have high expectations for and I would hope that they were able to fulfill those expectations.
Speaker 3: Would be the.
Speaker 4: Tight end group, in my opinion, you have Ferguson, who that's your mass, and he has played outstanding last year and he's on the cusp of being one of the top tight ends in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: But to me, that.
Speaker 4: Group has got to play outstanding this year, not only in receiving, but blocking as well. You got a young, you know, left tackle out there. You're gonna need some help chipping players out there and holding double teams. So that tight end group, blocking wise, is gonna have to be outstanding. And then we talk about receiving wise. Ferguson's gonna have to make that lead you know, seven hundred I believe was sixty one yards seven sixty one last year, which is outstanding for a tight end. But I'm gonna need a little bit more because I believe, like you said, you know, last week, the tight end group, mainly Ferguson is gonna be that number two option Cooks who you know, still got speed out there. But but but he's an aging receiver out there, and last year he made a couple of plays here and there. But to me, you're gonna need that solid number two option. That's gonna need that security blanket, cause we all know what ceed's gonna represent. He's gonna get his stats, he's gonna get his yards, but teams are gonna make sure and they still might not be able to stop them, but they gonna triple him, quadruple team him out there. So you're gonna have to have that number two option in that security blanket. And I think it's gonna be this tight end group, mainly Ferguson. You got Jalen Torbert out there, who's unproven, gonna get a lot of one on ones out there, and then you got Cooks out there, who's gonna get a lot of one on ones, but he had a lot of one one on ones last year and we still it didn't see that crazy production. So to me, that tight end group as a whole, whether it's blocking, receiving, they're gonna have to step their game up, and I believe they'll be able to cause Ferguson's a hell of a tight end and you got some guys in there that can block along the line of scrimmage as well.
Speaker 3: So that's the group I'm all with.
Speaker 4: And my expectations for them are being, you know, to play their butts off this season. Now when you talk about individual players, and you know, we keep piling on my guy, but you know it has to be said because it's the main problem when you talk about the defensive side of the football, and that's the run game. I expect Mozzi Smith not to take a massively. You know, I don't expect him to go from what he was last year to Aaron Donald or whatever the case may be. But I need him to be that guy that they drafted in the first round like when he was in college. I need him to be that guy to go out there, take on those double teams, be able to be a solid contributor against the run, and keep those offensive linemen off the second level. Let those guys do what they do. And I know we said it at NAZIM about Mizzi Smith being able to go in there, and it's tough because, you know, being a first round pick, I feel like all the pressure is on him to stop the run, like it's just him bass up. If he can't do it, then this defense is done, which is not the case. It takes you know, all eleven guys out there to stop the run. But to me, that interior part has got to be more solid than it was last year. And I believe if he can take that leap with the you know coaching under Zimmer, you know, you got lin Vald Joseph, you got some veterans around you that can teach you the game a little bit more and the ins and outs and the little sneaky tricks that those guys like to do on the inside.
Speaker 3: Then I believe he can take that leap.
Speaker 4: And the Cowboys are gonna need him to take that leap if they want to go to where they want to go, which we all understand where that is and gain goal or go at the end of the season. So those are about my group, tight end group gonna take it, take that next step, you know, block in being that number two solid, number two option and on the defense side of the football, get my Mansi to take take my get my boy Manzi to take that next league.
Speaker 2: So what I'm gonna say about the the tight end group is Jake Ferguson definitely, And Jake Ferguson is to me, is a guy that can have a thousand yards as a tight end. You haven't seen a thousand yard tight end since since j wit right and and I'm I'm gathering those numbers from the targets that Gallup left behind. I think there's gonna be a there's gonna be guys that are can get more work than you saw before. So a young guy like Tober, his targets are gonna increase. Be Cooks, his targets are gonna increase. But there's also gonna be more balls for you on that end. For Jake Ferguson. So I think Jake Ferguson, Jake Gregsy, Jake fergus is gonna get that gonna get that work.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go and look, man, amen to what you said about Mazie. But my position group that I'm gonna go with is gonna be this offensive line. Offensive line and the reason the offensive line. Last season, the Dallas Cowboys finished in statistical top five in area area yards, touchdowns, all that all right, uh game, you know the amount of drive, the length of drives that they had, they were one of the best in the NFL. And I think you do that because you have a solid offensive line, right and those things protection for Dak This is a big year for DAK obviously, but if we are trying to get rid of the ghosts of Green Bay, you are going to need your offensive line to play up to par. And we know we're already a little nervous about this running back room. If you're gonna have any success on the ground, it's gonna be because your offensive line is the catalyst for that.
Speaker 3: And so uh definitely going there. Now.
Speaker 2: We did have a production meeting, so I didn't think he was just gonna take the tight hands away from me like that. Thank you for making me scramble berry.
Speaker 3: Fast on your feet.
Speaker 2: God, I'm gonna go o Sa Diggiza sego Mazi. I'm gonna go Osa, I think. And here's my thing with Osa. We have been giving Osa, I almost we're not giving him a pass. But I think that for what we imagine he is and what he actually is, it's not going together right. I need Osa, Diggiezua to be a presence on this defense.
Speaker 3: And I understand. Look when sometimes when things are.
Speaker 2: Going downhill, it's easy for the lady downhill altogether, it's just not just them, It'll be me too.
Speaker 3: We could do it as a unit.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be left behind, right, But I think OSA has to to take that step, and that's like cliche, take the next step. What is that, you know, be consistent game in and game out. Don't be a guy that disappears after you've had you know, a sack or two, or a tackle for a loss or any of that. We need that consistency from a guy that you still view as a young guy, third round draft pick. He's been solid, he's giving you some good reps. But I think it's the consistency piece for OSA that I'm looking to man.
Speaker 3: But we got it done. We did group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I forgot about one more group in there, and I'm gonna put the the corners that I mean the secondary as a whole, but I'm gonna put the corners in there as well.
Speaker 3: Because if you know, Diggs.
Speaker 4: Is able to come back and be that player that we know he is, you know, defensive player of the year, you know in the running for that type of type of performance, if he and be that guy, and Bland can continue to take the football away like he did, if those guys can lock up on the outside, including Jordan Luis, if those guys can lock up on the outside. That'll allow Zimra to bring more guys in to help on that run. So that's to me, you know, I understand what we got on the outside. Those guys are special. If they're able to continue to play special like that, that'll allows Zimmer to put more pieces towards that run defense and allow maybe that you know, that Cowboys defense to I mean, if they can be top ten run that's all they need talking about. Then this guy's a limited So corners, they gonna be good on the outside. Though, one player that you have, you know, worries at all about, Oh, that's.
Speaker 3: The business gun. I mean, you know he's gonna Michael Parson.
Speaker 4: You know he's going ball out, whether it's you know, getting after the pass and making plays, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: I have no worries about him.
Speaker 4: I would say Kendricks as well, because Kendricks is a heck of a linebacker.
Speaker 3: The only issue year eleven durability will he make.
Speaker 4: It throughout the entire season, Because to me, that's gonna be a quarterback of the defense. He's gonna get that defensive line set up, he's gonna be the secondary knows what they gotta do.
Speaker 3: He understands Zimmer's defense. We can't lose that guy.
Speaker 4: That he's gotta be durable throughout the entire year.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: My one player then is gonna be uh, Brandon Oakcliffe Aubrey.
Speaker 4: From Cliff came from OAKLFT. He kick it for pleasant grown on some day. But Brandon Aubrey, that's the one guy I'm not worried about. Sixty six yarder in the preseason. That is banana's man. How how how big of a weapon is that that once you pass the fifties, it's basically an automatic three.
Speaker 3: That's no, that's that's crazy. Hey, that is ridiculous, man.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you, I'm like saying to myself, like, Brandon, come on, man, save some of this for the sixty six yards that is That is bananas man. But BC, we did it again. We'll be back next week. It's gonna be Players Lounge on Tuesday and Thursday of next week. But for Jazz, for Josh, for all the people responsible for getting this thing done, for Nicky Harrison that provides the reads.
Speaker 3: This is the players Now shout out the Rosie Rosie to see you on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club