Speaker 1: Gampsite Media large.
Speaker 2: So Rory.
Speaker 3: Episode four is the halfway point of our series. Can you recap for fans who maybe smoked too much weed between last week and what's been going on.
Speaker 4: David Gant, the mastermind of acquiring seventeen million dollars from Alumis Fargo, is hiding out in Mexico with a little bit of cash and trying to guess beyond the lamb. While in the United States of America, the rest of his crew is getting a little flimsy with the money. And also we're starting to learn that the FBI is easily gaining traction. Who is guilty of what? So, yeah, seventeen million dollars have been stolen. David Gann is the only one on the lamb. Everyone else is hiding out in broad daylight spending the money he stole.
Speaker 3: All right, then let's get onto the episode. This is Hilbilly Heist Episode four.
Speaker 5: When you're twenty five years old, somebody engine offers you tuner for the Grand first thing that pops in your head is cocaine, hookers, and hot tubs.
Speaker 1: Cocaine and hooker, sure, but adding a hot tub just seems fungusy.
Speaker 6: Why the hot tubs.
Speaker 2: He needs someplace to relax.
Speaker 5: That's usually the unholy Trinity.
Speaker 1: This is Mike McKenny, a man who knows precisely what he wants out of life, and also a man who's fairly comfortable doing whatever it takes to get it.
Speaker 2: I have been labeled with sociopathic tendencies.
Speaker 5: That's also coming from over educated people with too many degrees.
Speaker 1: I don't care, which brings us to why Mike McKenny got offered two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. It was a cash deal to pull off one simple job killing David Gant. Mike mckennie is a former marine who got kicked out for, in his words, going feral, but before he was discharged he got pretty good at shooting guns and blowing shit up. He's a big dude, a muscular six foot four. Back in the day, he rocked bleach blonde hair and a dark beard, and the carpet didn't match the curtains or did it.
Speaker 2: To each their own way, The nineties were to me.
Speaker 1: When he was still in the Marines, Mike served with Michelle's first husband, and he also got to know Steve Chambers, who, as we know eventually became Michelle's second husband.
Speaker 5: Cute little bitty thing, but she's louding obnoxious. Steve was a bigger guy. He thought he was super slick. Thought he's a tough guy.
Speaker 2: But he was pretty good con man. He could make you believe a story. He was kind of slicking that regard.
Speaker 5: If you've ever been around a really good con man, you can talk to them and know they're full oft shit, but they still draw you in.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they do it.
Speaker 1: Mike started working construction in Illinois after the Marines booted him out, but he stayed in touch with Steve and Michelle, and then in the fall of nineteen ninety seven, Steve approached Mike with the proposition.
Speaker 5: The story he told me was this guy needs to get out of town fast. He robs some money from the wrong people. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for fifty thousand dollars cash. I was like deal.
Speaker 1: The real story that Steve gave his ID to David Gant, who used it to flee to Mexico. David and Mike don't really look anything alike. But remember TSA doesn't exist. There are no digital eyeball scanners. Also giving someone else your ID wasn't such a big deal back then.
Speaker 5: On me, it wouldn't have mattered if somebody would have ran a credit scam because I didn't have any credit. I didn't have any assets for them to try to cheat me out of, if I didn't have a huge banking account that they could empty my bank account.
Speaker 1: Plus, you could just show up to the DMV, take a number, and get a new ID with basically no questions asked. A few weeks after Mike gave Steve his ID, Steve and his henchman, Big Eric, took a trip to Illinois. They met Mike in a motel room and gave him the money Stevid promised fifty grand in small bills. Steve still didn't tell him where the money came from, but he did offer Mike a chance to make even more.
Speaker 5: He did drop a seed in there, and he said, a there might be something big, else big coming up to we might have to take somebody out.
Speaker 1: And as soon as Steve mentioned that he was willing to pay a quarter million dollars cash, Mike probably immediately thought, you know how much cocaine, hookers and hot tubs that'll buy you.
Speaker 5: There was no way I would have ever seen that kind of money in my life. You know, number one, you're probably gonna end up dead or in prison. It's a conclusion, and that's what you accept. The only thing you do is run one day at a time, throwing as much fun in there as you could before you hit the brick wall.
Speaker 1: Mike told Steve he'd do the job. He still didn't know where, when, or even who he was killing. Still he persevered, But hey, dealing with that kind of uncertainty is just part of being a professional assassin.
Speaker 5: Actually, I prefer the the hitman or the hard gun conferred to assassin because to me, the assassin sounds like your elite government type of person, you know, one the government's used, and hit man or a gun for her sounds more like the hill billy, redneck version of the assassin.
Speaker 1: Huh. Anyway, after Steve left, Might quit his construction job and waited for the call from SmartLess media, campsite media, and big money players. In partnership with iHeart Podcasts, I'm Johnny Knoxville and you're listening to Crime List Bill Billy Heist. This is our fourth episode. The hit Man a month into his time in Cancun, David Gand has transformed. He's no longer the scrawny outlaw giving himself the first little taste of luxury. Now he's a full blown connoisseur.
Speaker 7: I'm learning how to be a person of means, so I'm trying out the more expensive desserts. I'm drinking better alcohol. Lobster, so I order a double. It comes with this huge potato. That's great.
Speaker 1: The heist was the first time that David's impulsive frame and his army trained planning Frain really got to join forces. Turns out these two sides of David like working together and having a pocket full of cash. In Mexico, it's a new opportunity for collaboration. He's devised a new routine, a regular circuit of indulgence.
Speaker 7: And we made this loop of really good bars and restaurants and I would start around two thirty three o'clock.
Speaker 8: I'd go for a morning.
Speaker 7: Swim, come back, take a nap, and I'd start making my rounds.
Speaker 1: The highlight of this tour was Senior Frogs.
Speaker 8: I don't like to dance, but if I have enough tequila, I will.
Speaker 1: After Senior Frogs, he'd hit another club called Laboom, and he'd usually end his night at Daddy Rock.
Speaker 8: By then it's two in morning, and I've spent a don't know how.
Speaker 1: Much money real talk, probably about seventy eight bucks. And all this time David claims that he's not missing Kelly.
Speaker 7: I'll be brutally honest, like the turb to come in, and there were enough females.
Speaker 8: And I really didn't put my salt in her to be brutally honest.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we get a David. You never really liked her anyway.
Speaker 7: One of the contests I went to was a bear as You Dare contest, and since I tipped the doorman, I got to be an honorary judge. So I got up front and they go through, and I mean, the bikinis are getting smaller and smaller, and finally the one girl comes out and she's got a band aid on her foot.
Speaker 1: But hitting every club in Cancoon every single day is kind of tough on the wallet.
Speaker 8: That'll run your money out quick.
Speaker 1: And as the weeks go on, David is starting to wonder what the hold up is. I mean, how hard could it be to get contraband into Mexico.
Speaker 8: You can smuggle in South all.
Speaker 1: This time, David is making his weekly calls to Kelly at the payphone in North Carolina. He's asking about the money, explaining that he's running out, and she's just making excuses.
Speaker 8: She's talking about, Oh, they haven't problems moving it as a lot.
Speaker 7: They didn't think you'd get nothing of small bills, And I'm like, what what are you fussing about?
Speaker 1: But through it all, David is still David. Here are the emotions of the guy who threw his life away for one third share of millions of dollars that he has yet to see.
Speaker 8: Not really fed up, but I'm kind of angry.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, David, if you were pissed, we would understand. And yet somehow he is still not angry with Kelly. He's angry with the other guy from the heist, and he finally knows that guy's name.
Speaker 8: She's let slip.
Speaker 7: I knew that Steve is a name I wasn't supposed to know, mister Orange or whatever.
Speaker 1: David tells Kelly he needs fifty grand a SAP. She tells him she'll let Steve know. Mike McKinnie isn't much of a people person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot easier to tolerate people when you don't have to be around them all the time.
Speaker 1: Actually, I find that really relatable. But after accepting Steve's initial offer, Mike was still waiting on instructions on who he was supposed to kill. In the meantime, Steve had another way for Mike to make money. He could come to North Carolina, live in a motel and be Steve's bodyguard.
Speaker 5: You know, and somebody hires you for that, You kind of take it serious at first, and then you realize there's really no threat here. He just he just wants to pay me money to look tougher because he has a buddyguard.
Speaker 2: It's like get paid to hang out.
Speaker 5: I had to carry the pistol because he was a felon, and other than that, right around in the truck with him and Sidney's furniture store and go back to the hotel room at night.
Speaker 1: This life of leisure did give Mike and Steve plenty of time to hang out in the mansion.
Speaker 5: We actually went to the basement and saw the wine cellar full of PBR.
Speaker 1: That's actually great.
Speaker 5: He treated the wine cellar more like a walking cooler at the liquor store.
Speaker 2: He went in there and.
Speaker 5: Basically had cases and twelve packs packed everywhere inside of this place. The velvetelle was the Cuban cigars and humid or he couldn't get to work right. Of course, I didn't know that this was newly acquired money. I just figured he'd been building up since the few years i'd seen him.
Speaker 1: Mike still didn't know how his old friend Steve had acquired all this money, and Steve didn't explain who he wanted Mike to kill, but he did start to finally provide a few details, like that the target was in Mexico and needed money, so Mike could get close to him by dropping off the cash. And just how did Steve instruct Mike to take him out with the bleach injection tossing a grenade in his general direction, something that won't attract any attention, right, He was.
Speaker 2: Just going to leave the method up to me because I was a trained assassin.
Speaker 1: Uh huh oh okay, Mike, But there was nothing funny about the code name Mike would have to use to get close to his target.
Speaker 2: Steve chose the name Bruno. I don't know where he came up with it.
Speaker 5: Of course, that was the same time that what Bruce Willis came out with his album and he called himself Bruno or something.
Speaker 1: Bruno rad Aalini. How dare you?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't think. I looked at it like a Bruno.
Speaker 1: The real point of this nickname was that David couldn't know that the guy delivering him money was named Mike McKinny, because that would make the connection to Steve and the fake ID a little too obvious.
Speaker 5: I was still traveling under my name with my papers. So yes, at that time, there were two entries for Mike McKinny with my so security number and everything on that ID. Both of us entered Mexico and one of us hadn't left yet.
Speaker 1: Ah, the free wheeling nineties, But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Steve tells Kelly to let David know a guy named Bruno will be delivering his fifty grand as promised, and then he buys Mike a ticket to Cancun and hands him fifteen grand to either deliver to David or to use to lure David to his death.
Speaker 2: And it was all basically brand new, like twenties. That's a lot of money in twenties.
Speaker 5: And so I had it around inside of my way and I showed up at the airport. Of course, I was flying first class, so they kind of basically escorted you through, held your hand to go through, And at the moment we left the desk, the money starts slipping down my legs. So I had to jet into the bathroom real quick and rearrange it again, tighten up the belt. You might consider it a waddle. Maybe that airline agent definitely knew something was off. I mean, you're running, nervous guy, fidgety all of a sudden, got a run into the bathroom. It's like you try to blow it off to Yeah, I'm nervous of flying. Once we take off, then I'm fine.
Speaker 1: When Mike gets to Mexico, he's supposed to meet David at the Rainforest Cafe to hand him the money. Mike arrived and scanned the room. He didn't see David. Part of the problem might be that he actually doesn't know what David looks like.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I was supposed to meet at Rainforced Cafe or not, but I think I'd just gone to Rainforce Cafe to eat probably some of the best rips I ever ate.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the money drop doesn't happen. One give you this as a failure, but Mike is an optimist. He's in Cancun, he's got fifteen thousand dollars cash, and his only job just got canceled.
Speaker 2: What to do?
Speaker 5: Cocaine was cocaine, you know, it was considered recreational back then, and only people who had money did it.
Speaker 2: And so you know, you always make jokes about doing.
Speaker 5: Lines off strippers asses, which I've actually seen it. I can't say I ever did it, though, not off strippers.
Speaker 1: After a couple of days of partying and not doing cocaine off strippers' asses, Mike goes back to Charlotte without ever making eye contact with David say Leve, but no worries. Steve gives him another ten grand to make a second trip south of the border, and Mike's a bit better at discreetly smuggling that cast through the airport. This time. He's been told that David is really pissed off. Turns out he was at the Rainforest Cafe waiting for him at the appointed time. But now Mike has a hotel address. He knocks on the door.
Speaker 2: They gave me the wrong hotel room. It was a circus. Oh well, h well, the T shirt contest it was.
Speaker 5: I didn't specifically go looking for one. It just happened to be there whenever I got to the nightclub, the SuDS Party's phone parties, whatever you call him, there was one of them that had that, and that was basically a we T shirt contest waiting to happen with plenty of bubbles.
Speaker 1: And for the discriminating female clientele.
Speaker 5: They actually had like uh guy hop bun contests. They would have guides get up here and they would have curtain down to their waist right and the women to be out there cheering whichever one they wanted. So they were catering to the female crowd too.
Speaker 7: So do you think about entering?
Speaker 8: Ever?
Speaker 2: No, I never even considered entering.
Speaker 1: Mike was frugal and only spent about fifteen hundred dollars of David's money that night, But then he got a call from Steve with the correct address. However, Steve didn't want him to do the hit just yet. He wanted Mike to gain David's trust by giving him way less money than he had been promised. The first meeting is going to go just peachy, Mike knocks on the door. A nervous guy with the spray tand that looks like Boris Becker opens it.
Speaker 2: I said you for something from Charlotte.
Speaker 1: David invites him in. Mike, sorry. Bruno puts the money on the bed. It's about eight grand, Mike says. David freaks out.
Speaker 2: He acted like it.
Speaker 5: I'd skimmed off him bringing him money or something, which is literally what he did, because I think they told him they're going to have like fifty thousand sent to him or something like that, I think, And of course it'd be a letdown.
Speaker 2: I mean there'd be a lot of disappointment on that one.
Speaker 1: See, Mike just radiates empathy.
Speaker 2: He said, well, I asked for more than that. I was like, hey, I was in the neighborhood. They just asked me to drop off whatever I had. I walked out.
Speaker 1: Of course, any skimming Mike did was nothing compared to Steve holding on to David's five million dollar share. David talks to Kelly on their usual Tuesday phone call. His patience has been somewhat tested.
Speaker 8: I go, how much did y'all sen with Bruno.
Speaker 1: Kelly tells him she thinks it was ten or twelve grand.
Speaker 8: Well, either he's stealing or y'all can't effan count.
Speaker 1: I got eight, which is less than twelve and significantly less than the fifty thousand dollars David was expecting, in the whole hell of a lot less than the five million dollars he's owed. And then David says something he can't take back, and.
Speaker 7: I'm like, listen, if you guys can't deliver, I can walk over here to the embassy and we'll end this tomorrow. Y'all need to figure it out. I'm i get angry with her over the wall, like this is stupid. Y'all are gonna get busted and it's gonna be overWe But if you'll keep screwing me around, I'm gonna all go over here to the embassy. I'll end it myself. You know what happens to the first rent that goes off the ship gets the dryest board.
Speaker 1: What does that even mean?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: I get the second rat gets the cheese. Okay, onward and forward. Kelly promises David that he'll get the money. They just need a little more time.
Speaker 9: It was frustrating having to keep gant believing that I was going to come down and see him, and keeping him believing that Steve was going to send him all the money. I don't know why he didn't send him more at one time instead of just keeping it dragging it out, And I imagine that was a pretty horrible feeling and not getting the money that you were expecting to get and then having the woman that you expected to spend the rest of your life living high on the hog with keep putting you off. But yeah, in the end, he was getting pretty tasty.
Speaker 1: Despite David's bad vibes, Kelly was starting to allow herself to enjoy her share of the money. Her motivations had always been about providing the finer things for her children, and that's what she did. She bought a brand new minivan, a Toyota Siena. Steve came to the dealership with her and shrewdly paid for it in twenty dollars bills and used a fake name for the vehicle registration to boot and then Kelly and her mother and her kids took a short vacation to Disney World to reset refocus.
Speaker 8: You're gonna love this place, Larry.
Speaker 5: It really brings out the kidney.
Speaker 1: It's been a couple of months since the FBI knocked on Kelly's door. She hopes there may be off her trail, but then she gets another call. Two agents want to speak to her again. She heads to the mall to meet them. Unfortunately, Kelly has no memory of this meeting, which may have something to do with all that dope she smoked.
Speaker 2: Can't remember shit.
Speaker 1: The FBI, on the other hand, has considerably better recall.
Speaker 6: I always say, you can't hide money because if you have money.
Speaker 8: People like to show it.
Speaker 6: Build a bigger house, buy a nicer car, So you can't hide money.
Speaker 1: The FBI had learned a lot about Kelly Campbell since that first interview, you know, at her house where she rudely refused to share her wead with the agents.
Speaker 6: We knew through interviews of other Lumis employees that Kelly and David were friends, and her denial and a refusal to take the polygraph and her denial that they were friends connected Kelly right away. I mean all of us were like, she's involved somehow, or she knows something.
Speaker 1: The FBI subpoenaed her phone records and found out she had received calls from David Gant on the day of the heist, so she had definitely lied to the agents about the last time she had talked to him. Combine that knowledge with all the one four to three texts to David's pager, and Kelly didn't exactly project innocence. Loomis also told the FBI that David had passed all his company drug tests, So apparently Kelly had lied about smoking weed with him too. And it gets worse. The FBI also knows that Kelly bought a new minivan and that she paid cash for it. While continuing to keep an eye on Kelly, the FBI is also gained a lot of calls about money floating around Charlotte. The main culprits, of course, are Steven Michelle. They'll take the BMWZ three roadster of forty three thousand dollars diamond ring, Armani suits, a Rolex, a few tanning beds at ten thousand dollars full table, and the beast Thieve Resistance mission painting of General George Patten in the form of a bulldog.
Speaker 9: I guess they just they wanted to be big time because Michelle got a boob job, a friend of theirs, Eric his wife got a nose job and a boob job. I looked into having some leco suction that never roe around to it.
Speaker 1: Kelly is misremembering here. Michelle actually got her new boobs just before the heist. Call it foreshadowing her life was pointing in the right direction, and now so were her breasts. And the Eric mentioned there, of course, is Steve's henchman, Big Eric, from the night of the heist. He's not even that big. We've just been calling him Big Eric because he's the Johnny Appleseed of plastic surgery. Wherever he goes, boobs flourish. So the tally stands at one fresh nose and four new boobs.
Speaker 6: Eric Paine got breast in plants for his sisters. I do remember going out to doctor's offices and subpoenaing their records, and all of it was paid in twenty dollar bills. Three boop jobs and one nose job.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, six boobs in one nose. My bad. And Eric didn't just limit his spending the plastic surgery.
Speaker 6: He buys a Hartley, he purchases a Tahoe and just ridiculous spending. And he's spending it all in twenty dollars bills, and eleven point three million of the fourteen million dollars missing was twenty dollar bills.
Speaker 1: Once Eric gets on the FBI's radar, they realized that he used to work at a paper company that's just a short drive from Loomis and a short distance from where the Loomis van was abandoned. Another former employee of that company, Steve Chambers.
Speaker 6: Winner. Steve and Michelle were just out of control, completely out of control, like they won the lottery a movie inside their head. It's the only way I could describe it.
Speaker 2: Stephen.
Speaker 1: Michelle even literally acted out the scene from Goodfellas where Rayleota's wife asks to go shop and he asked her how much she needs and she holds up her fingers to indicate how high the stack of bill should be.
Speaker 6: And they were using clips from movies and they were acting like it, but they weren't taking the advice from some of the movies either, like spending the money. If you watch that movie Goodfellas, it's all about not showing and giving the Feds any reason to come looking at you. And they gave us all the reasons.
Speaker 8: Did you hear what I said?
Speaker 1: Don't buy anything, don't get anything, nothing big. Did what I said, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 8: Do you get excited for it?
Speaker 3: Did I get excited about because you're gonna get us ad fucking pinch?
Speaker 8: That's why?
Speaker 2: What are you stupid?
Speaker 6: And he's buying all these ridiculous things in his own hometown that people know he never had this kind of wealth, and to buy a home for six hundred and seventy thousand dollars and it's a cash deal, and Loomis Fargo is missing seventeen point three million dollars literally just fifteen minutes away. That's when all these calls are coming in. But we couldn't prove that it was Loomis money. And you spending twenty dollars to bills is not a crime. You can't arrest anybody for that, you can't charge them for that.
Speaker 1: But then, amid all the purchases, the mansions, the diamond rings, the luxury cars, the boobs, so many boobs, the FBI pulls the paperwork for Kelly's minivan and the name on the registration matches an alias Steve Chambers used back in the day when he was cashing hot checks. The Kelly Steve connection is coming into focus.
Speaker 6: Myself and another agent. We went to the high school that Steve Chambers went to and got the yearbooks and found that Kelly Campbell and Derek Payne had gone to the same high school. And we knew by that point that Kelly Campbell and Steve Chambers were friends.
Speaker 1: The FBI had plenty of reason to surveil Stephen Michelle at this point. Watching Michelle, they notice a pattern with her trips to the bank.
Speaker 6: Michelle gets to it like it's a job, and she's depositing every Tuesday at this branch, every Thursday at this branch.
Speaker 1: This gives the agents the perfect opportunity to set a trap. Widra goes undercover.
Speaker 6: I'm just sitting in an office. She just thought I was a banker.
Speaker 1: Michelle walks in right on schedule to make her usual cash deposit, just a hair under ten grand, so it will never show up on the FBI's radar. Wink wink. The teller takes the cash and Michelle goes on her way.
Speaker 6: I go behind the teller window and I take the straps off the cash that she just deposited. Doesn't say lumis Fargo on the strap. It's just a generic cash strap. But it had initials on It means someone at Loumis Fargo counted it.
Speaker 1: Whydra immediately takes the strap to Loomis.
Speaker 6: So we went and asked whose initials they were at Louis Fargo. Well, as luck would have it, it was just a coincidence that the employee that counted that particular money hadn't worked at Louis Fargo since the robbery. That meant that money was pre robbery. That conclusively tied the money, the Loomis Fargo money to Stephen Michelle Chambers. That was the key piece of evidence. It was like party time.
Speaker 1: The FBI pretty much has it all wrapped up at this point. They even get a picture of Kelley and Michelle in front of the furniture store.
Speaker 6: And that was another aha moment, Like that bridged everything, like it connected Steve Chambers to the money, to Kelly Campbell, to David Gant. This is the crew, there is nobody else. And then it became a matter of where's the money, Where's David.
Speaker 1: One evening in mid December, David is eating an authentic Mexican dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe in Cancun. He's got a view of the beach and of rock music videos playing on the TV's overhead. It's been more than two months since the heist, but it's still in the news constantly. David's on the FBI's most Wanted list. His face has probably flashed across every TV in America by this point, and all this time, David has been hanging around Cancun, hitting the same few bars and restaurants every day while wave after wave of American tourists passed through. So of course it finally happens. A stranger approaches David's table and says, hey, man, you look a lot like that guy from North Carolina who stole like twenty million dollars. The guy just leaves it at that and goes back to his table, but David Sin's the safety is completely shattered. He hurries out of the restaurant to call Kelly and tells her that he needs to get out of Cancun fast. Kelly says, no problem, they'll send Bruno to take good care of him.
Speaker 7: So Bruno comes back, and then he asked me a really mirrored question. Do you have a gun you haven't, Do you carry a knife? Do you lock your doors? Questions like that.
Speaker 1: That's next time on Crime List, He'll Billy heist.
Speaker 2: Roy.
Speaker 3: We've just spent another half hour or so with our heroes, heroes and quotes.
Speaker 4: I love it when a new character comes into play. That's I love it.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say my first question was like, what's your assessment of Mike McKinney.
Speaker 4: Here's what I love about this entire everybody that's involved in this entire production, of the actual thieves and criminals. Hearing their voices, it almost sounds like none of them even remember or know that what they did was so highly illegal. They seem so calm about it. It almost makes you like all of them in their own weird, strange way. And this guy a hired uh he didn't like assassin, hired hitman is no different. He was hired to kill somebody and yet just acts very blase about it. Are Bruno? I love it?
Speaker 3: How do we feel about Bruno as a hitman's nickname?
Speaker 4: Love that that had to be the It's too perfect. It's like Bruno. Of course, of course you wanted to be Bruno. I love that Steve Chambers got to make so many decisions and at no point it seemed like anyone at the time realized how dumb this guy was actually being, but they sort of treated him with a lot of respect.
Speaker 3: I guess he just acted the part. He watched a bunch of Mafia movies and just acted like he was in charge, and that goes a long way.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he watched so many Mafia movies that it very quickly became we need to kill David Gant. We've already got ourselves in so much hot water. Let's up the ante.
Speaker 3: Let's add a murder charge on top of it.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: We also get to drop back in on David in Cancun. He's having a pretty good time if they would just send him enough cash.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I gotta say that gives me anxiety. That was one thing that gave me anxiety, hearing the spending of going to all that. When he said double lobster, I couldn't even handle that. It just felt very gluttonous. I realized they've stolen money. But it's like every night club. Also, I love that he's like, I don't even like to dance unless I've had some tequila. Like I guess. I guess in reality, David Gant did go live up the life he sort of dreamed of in a way, not the version he thought it would be. But he didn't at least just sit around in a hotel room waiting. He did go party, and I respect that absolutely.
Speaker 3: My biggest frustration. What's it gonna take for David to actually get mad and blame Kelly?
Speaker 4: I know, I just can't. Kelly frustrates me the entire time, the most aloof person ever, And now that she's even slightly involved in wanting to have David Gant killed and seems to not even understand or know that is nerve racking, nerve racking, nerve wrecking, will never know nerve racking. I think, Yeah, That's how I've always said it.
Speaker 3: Okay, On that note, thanks for joining us this week, folks. We'll see you next time for episode five of Crimeless Hillbilly Heist.
Speaker 1: Crimeless Hillbilly Heist is a production of SmartLess Media, Campside Media, and Big Money Players in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. Bhill Billy Heist is narrated by me Johnny Knoxville and created by Liz Elkington and Stewart Bailey. Written by Michael Kenyon Meyer with Liz Elkieington, and Stuart Bailey. Produced by Lane Rose and Sierra Franco. Additional production help by Rajeev Gola. The series with sound design and mixed by ewin Le Tremwen, fact checking by Gray Lanta, and a special thanks to our operations team Doug Slaywyn, Ashley Warren, Sabina Mara and Destiny Dingle iHeart Podcasts and Big Money Players. Executive producers are Jack O'Brien, Lindsay Hoffman, and Matt Appadeca. Campsite Media's executive producers are Josh Deen, Vanessa Grigoriatis, Adam hoff and Matt Cher. Executive producers are Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey. From SmartLess Media, the producers are Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Richard Corson. Bernie Kaminski is the head of production. The associate producer is Mattie McCann. If you've enjoyed Crimeless Hillbilly Heies, please rate and review the show wherever you get your podcasts.