Speaker 1: R and b's money.
Speaker 2: Honey, we are thanks take volatility. We are the authority on all things R and B ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank. If this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority.
Speaker 1: Yes, when all things are in south Side see what happens?
Speaker 2: Jay is because we've been doing this for so long to think that we aren't tapped in mm hmmmm with the new young hot Yeah, the new young sensations, the youth of R and by taking this motherfucker game. We know who you are south Side Phoenix. Yeah, we know who you are here. Yeah, we're gonna get into your ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna talk about your exes.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about your axes. Shy podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah wait, I'm sorry. First first, Yes, you hit your nails manicured.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they look great. Yeah, this is jail.
Speaker 4: Wait you get John your now.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah this has to last.
Speaker 5: Yes, long lasting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not playing to you called me on the day. Werein't no color on it? Yeah? Yeah I do, I do? Black? Black is my color?
Speaker 4: Okay, good yeah black us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know I dig into my rock started. I go to a Liny crab.
Speaker 5: You want to know we love that do I want to know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, nba oh boy.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I'm not going to call you that, you know, kind of dangerous.
Speaker 1: But he's a young woman. His nails.
Speaker 3: He was like, yeah, yeah, that's that's what.
Speaker 1: That's what. That's My kids. My kids was like.
Speaker 2: My daughter was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Is everything okay? That's fine?
Speaker 5: What made you want to do?
Speaker 1: That? Just seemed like fun?
Speaker 5: And is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm like, I'm impulsive, you know what I mean. I'm impulsive, whether it be me too, whether it be spending going somewhere, like, I'm impulsive. He's my voice of reason. I'm like, let's do it. He's like this, you better not.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised by that.
Speaker 2: Actually he's my voice of reason. Oh no, for sure, that's that's our balance, you know what I'm saying. But like, I think that just who cares.
Speaker 3: When he painted his nails, all the comments said, yay, you let him.
Speaker 2: Do this for me?
Speaker 4: For sure, I'll literally be doing I don't know, some type of function. And Christine's like, Kean, I'm like a bad little kid like I right now would be walking on the edge of this couch just because And Christy was like yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so he would call me at like at like six in the morning and he would say, Tank, you can't. You have to stop me. Stop in the comments. You have to stop because I would argue in the comments and I would I would let motherfuckers have it. And because I felt personally attacked, I didn't know that they weren't real people. I didn't. I didn't know that it didn't matter people.
Speaker 3: No, most of the people ain't real.
Speaker 1: Some are, yes.
Speaker 6: And when I say real in terms of ghost accounts, really.
Speaker 2: Real conversations, right, because people are hiding behind things, and a lot of times people just want to say something to They just want to have a conversation, get a rise something. It's not us sitting right here and you saying that same ship to me that you just type with your thumbs.
Speaker 1: It's not real. You're not gonna say that in my face.
Speaker 2: But since you, you know, since you're hidding, you feel like you can get that off. So I have I have to combat that. And then my elder will call me insane. Stop the funk ship as you just call it.
Speaker 1: As you so eloquently.
Speaker 6: Nigga ha a Twitter battle against a nigga with a picture of him.
Speaker 3: It's like, so I'm cussing myself out.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, because wouldn't do this.
Speaker 4: Like, so, do you look at the comments like all the comments?
Speaker 2: No, not really, And if I and I look at them from a different lens, now you know what I mean. So like now I'm just kind of like like the ridiculous stuff. That kind of makes me laugh because like the way I was able to process it was watching people say stuff about other people that I actually know that I know that that stuff is not true about I was like, that's not right, that's not how that happened. That's not like, uh got it. It doesn't matter in this place. Trying to figure out what the truth is will drive you fucking crazy in the social media world. That's not what that world is for. The truth is for you in your real life. Thrust in and understand the truth in your real life. As long as you can do that, be okay.
Speaker 4: And this ship mm hmm, that's nice, wise words.
Speaker 1: Giving you my old man.
Speaker 3: I got a feeling you'd be looking at the comments ready to go off. That's nice.
Speaker 1: South.
Speaker 5: I'm an angel.
Speaker 4: No, so I actually used to read all the comments of everything, but I feel like naturally, our minds stick to the negative things more.
Speaker 5: This mind does, yeah, exactly. And I used to read. I used to read all of them.
Speaker 4: The negative ones would stick out so hard, and then I would be responding like it would be bad. And after a while I just realized that was all blown back into my face, like pretty much every time. So I was like, what is the point because I'm trying to defend myself, but then I have to defend myself now against the defense already is underscrewed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where people don't realize, right, you never win that. It's an ongoing right, And so here's the part. Here's the part he said something that was a long time ago. He's like, you skip past all that love to respond to that one person. I skipped past a thousand you the man comments to get to you?
Speaker 1: Ain't the man comment? Why not? Nigga? Why the fuck not? Yea?
Speaker 2: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 1: Who is you? Better not say? You better not reminded.
Speaker 3: Me of that?
Speaker 5: Have you seen that video?
Speaker 4: This is new to me, by the way, because I don't really be on the internet now because I hate the internet. But someone showed me the I don't remember what his name is. But it's a bowling guy and he's like, who do you think you are? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, have you seen that's his name?
Speaker 3: Doesn't feel something?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, I know exactly you talking about he'osuld be doing the X ship.
Speaker 1: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 4: After he gets to strike, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Well we are now at this point we're mature.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm twenty six.
Speaker 1: Okay to grow into this.
Speaker 2: What we like to do at the Army Money Podcast is we like to go to the origin. We like to go to the beginning, right of where somebody looked at you, saw you somewhere, heard you somewhere and said, ooh that is something, or you saw it for yourself. You looked in the mirror one day and was like, I'm nice with this. When was that moment? Probably young, Probably started really young. Going through my notes, I say it started really young for you. So let you tell it though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it starts when I was My mom says, exactly sixteen months old.
Speaker 5: She taught me.
Speaker 4: She was a teacher, so she taught me the ABC's early. She wanted me to get ahead of it, so show me ABC's and then I guess I was singing the song and like adding runs and shit, and I was just singing it different and people would always like stop at the mall and be like, is she singing the ABC's like that?
Speaker 5: And then my mom was like yeah.
Speaker 4: And then automatically she's just like she grew up in foster care, like she didn't gro up with a lot of shit. So she was just like she wanted me to have what I wanted to have, and whatever my natural talent was, she wanted me to do that. She didn't care what it was. But it's like one hundred and ten percent. So she's seen that and she was like, Okay, she's a star. And then put me yeah, literally as a baby, as a baby, and then when I was like three, she put me into singing, dance and acting, like classes like performing arts, extracurricular stuff, and I literally just from there was just working towards it my whole life.
Speaker 5: I was doing pageants. I was taking.
Speaker 4: Pageants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was like four years old.
Speaker 4: Crown those series, I have so many Crowns I have around, so.
Speaker 2: I those are those are different though for people who don't know that world, that's a different world.
Speaker 4: And I wasn't in None of them were like you spray tann the babies and that thing.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was like you know, like full makeup and full no.
Speaker 4: And the one that I did mostly my whole childhood. If you got caught with makeup on your face, if they could see it, you were automatically disqualified, which also was like kind of fucked up. Was even more fucked up because it's like, Okay, now, if you lose, you're not naturally beautiful and your personality sucks is basically what it was in your head if you lost, that's what, yes, Because no, like I'm undoing a lot of this shit in therapy, Like I'm trying because as much as it taught me how to be a great performer, how to do interviews, how to do public speaking, like everything like that, I really did learn a lot. I feel like I was trained in it. But if I didn't win, it was like, oh I didn't say this answer right enough. I have so much anxiety going on social media. Even this gives me anxiety, like because I feel like if I say like, or if I don't speak perfectly, if I don't get my point across in a specific amount of sentences, then I'm like gonna lose.
Speaker 5: That's what's been built up in my head.
Speaker 3: But we bring winners on here.
Speaker 1: And we don't give a fuck.
Speaker 6: We don't give this is we're entertaining ourselves.
Speaker 1: This is a safe don't give a space.
Speaker 2: You got a.
Speaker 5: Crown, you know. Though, Like, even though there was all that pressure, I did. I'm not trying to I mean, I'll brag, but I.
Speaker 4: Did win Almost every year I competed because I was just myself, Like I would make funny ass faces on stage, like I would do a lot of the ship that the other girls were too scared to do, which rightfully so, because the whole thing is about being perfect. But I remember one time I went into an interview and I was probably like seven, and they have two minute rounds, so you literally go around you all two minutes with each judge and they ask you one or two questions and you have to basically give them like your entire personality within those two questions.
Speaker 5: But also be perfect.
Speaker 4: So while I'm talking to them, one of the judges asked me, what do you like to do for fun? And I said, I love to talk. Stay quiet for the rest of the two minutes, and the next judge was like, what are you doing your spare time? And I said, talk, just stop talking. I probably did that to every single judge and I still won that year. I think it's because I was just They found it charming that I just like said, I love to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Real because everybody has their their prop answers that were given to them by their mom to make sure you say this, and I do. And you were like, to my poor mom, I want to talk talk told Wels, Wow.
Speaker 5: I said, you give me a good topic early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many years were your passions?
Speaker 5: From four to like fifteen, four to fifteen?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, what, Yeah, this is a real thing. She's really I had no idea. I thought just the little baby girls do it for a couple of years and then it's on something.
Speaker 5: It seemed like miss Universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because I had an ex that was in a in a pageant and I helped her train for a pageant and then did music for the pageant.
Speaker 1: And there was a pageant. Yea, I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that that was the thing. It was like a local pageant and I was like, what, so what am I singing for? And I did the music for the local pageant. It was like, and she didn't win, I was and you did the music?
Speaker 1: Did the music? Did you feel place that?
Speaker 5: Did you feel like that was a personal attack on you?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't.
Speaker 2: I felt like I felt like it was an attack on her all like the work she did, and she got skinny and lost her cheeks, and.
Speaker 1: So you're doing.
Speaker 2: Pageants and all of these things. Mom says you're a star. Eighteen months, you're already doing.
Speaker 3: Sixteen boy sixteen sixteen months?
Speaker 2: Early?
Speaker 1: What did I said?
Speaker 3: It was early eighteen eighteen. He just has bad man.
Speaker 1: Doing runs.
Speaker 2: ABC even made up a whole new ABC melody, but this do.
Speaker 3: You remember the melody?
Speaker 1: When is the singing recognized?
Speaker 4: I think actually my stardom was recognized first because everyone would always like to my mom, all my family, people that would just meet me, they would just be.
Speaker 5: Like, she's a star. Oh my god, your daughter's a star.
Speaker 4: Like it was always about like how hyper I was, and like how I guess how real I was, And so I think it started with that sort of effect. And then also, you know the sixty month old thing, and I honestly say, I don't think I really had a choice, Like I never really it was just always something that was a part of me. It was like speaking a second language, you know. So being in performing arts school. I went to performing arts school from second to fourth grade, and then fifth grade I was homeschooled, but then I was going to another performing art school like on the side for just the performing arts part, and then middle school went to another performing arts school, Sport.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it grew up a musical theater. Everything I've been.
Speaker 3: Doing this trained.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still learning so much every day.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing about music, theater, all these different things. You never stopped learning. It's always something new, it's always evolving. So, like you said, there's the early on stuff, but you continue to learn as you go along in this.
Speaker 3: Thing that we have.
Speaker 6: And then especially when you become a professional, because just doing it for the love and the purity of music or theater is one thing, but then doing it to pay your bills the whole.
Speaker 3: World.
Speaker 4: Yeah, learning that was something I really That's that was hard to learn.
Speaker 3: That's never easy.
Speaker 6: That's never easy because it's just it gets thrown at you because it goes from I'm just singing because I can sing, and then people enjoy my singing till somebody is like I can make some money with her or on her or off her, or however that goes. And then as the artist, you have to find it in yourself to say, hey, I need to learn this ship too.
Speaker 3: And that's when it gets tricky.
Speaker 2: In this business. It's tough because as artists, I think we all have bumped our heads in some some form of fashion. You know what I'm saying, finding that lesson or throughout that lesson.
Speaker 3: That's your friend, ain't your friend? That's your friend?
Speaker 2: As your friend that that that that next check may.
Speaker 1: Not come right?
Speaker 3: Did the friend and put their name on the on the song that they're right?
Speaker 1: It's so much to worry.
Speaker 4: If I could make my eye twitch, would twitch?
Speaker 1: I have you been through some time?
Speaker 3: This is what it is?
Speaker 1: Though? Is what it is?
Speaker 2: When is your When is your first moment of like, Okay, now I'm getting a real check for this, and now it's time to really like the rubber.
Speaker 1: Is starting to meet the road.
Speaker 4: I think everything that came with X doing something was when I really started to be like, oh okay, my rent doesn't seem so scary. Now that's cool. So X was X was doing things.
Speaker 6: Was it like you had other situations before that, like as in your come up teenage years, the whole thing and.
Speaker 5: Kids bop.
Speaker 1: But no checks at kids but not for me.
Speaker 3: The niggas ain't got no checks at kids.
Speaker 4: But sorry, jog on blast, Like this was a very different time now, But at.
Speaker 5: That time, yeah, I was not. Fuck I'm just gonna say it.
Speaker 4: I was not officially a kids Bop kid, even though I was traveling under for the live tours that we were doing. I was traveling, so I wasn't officially a kid's wop kid. And there was like some racist shit that was going on behind the scenes. So no, I did not get paid as much as the other kids.
Speaker 2: Remember the box, Yes, so the box this video channel where you could call an order of the order a video. You could pay like ten to fifteen cents to order a video that was more than that this morning twenty five cents.
Speaker 3: No, No, it was some dollars, like some dollars or something like to order video.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you order video and all of the video, all of the songs are clean. So there was n w A on the box. And so when I would go to school, when I would go to school wrapping n w A. Everybody would laugh at me.
Speaker 4: Because because you have seen clean, I only knew the clean kids, so sad man.
Speaker 7: And sweet at the same.
Speaker 1: I come here and raps.
Speaker 7: I missed till the brother, you know, like get this, nigga.
Speaker 1: Can't hang with us.
Speaker 5: Damn about the anymore?
Speaker 1: Did you say Bible?
Speaker 6: So kids star They got labels and record deals, yeah, paying people, and they did not know what to do.
Speaker 4: No, I had no idea until they dropped me.
Speaker 3: When you were signs for for two years.
Speaker 4: Though, yeah, so in that time, I was just I was. I moved to LA with my eighteen year old best friend when I was sixteen.
Speaker 1: You came out to LA at sixteen by yourself, by yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was going back and forth for a year already, pretty much like since I.
Speaker 3: Got the record. The label was in La.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, well in New York most go to because it was closer because I'm from Arizona. So it was like my stepdad would come and drive me out. I finally like nobody told me like, oh you have to get a manager, Oh you have to do these things. And so I was in a session one day and the person was like, do you have management? And I was like no, and she was like, let me put you in contact with my managers because you need somebody to like talk to and to talk for you.
Speaker 5: And I was like okay.
Speaker 4: So I met with these managers super cool, and then they got me in touch with an agent, and I was just like so confused, Like there was so much going on, but all I knew was like my mom and my stepdad were driving me back and forth from Arizona to LA pretty much every weekend for auditions and sessions and whatever, and then would fly me out and I would be in LA for like a month and then go back home, go back to school, like I had such great teachers and like great principle and stuff at that point, Yeah for sure. So yeah, I was doing that for a while and then my mom was basically at some point was just like listen, this shit's got expensive. Also like we don't have the time, and I think you're ready, because, like.
Speaker 5: I said, I was a really good kid.
Speaker 4: My mum always told me like, as long as you build up this trust in your childhood, will be able to trust you more with certain things. And my parents were also pretty strict and then they're like, go to l A.
Speaker 5: Keep by you.
Speaker 3: They went from restricted, go fly, go for real for real.
Speaker 4: So then, yeah, I came out to l A and I was working at a gymnastics center and going sessions at the same time.
Speaker 5: Fuck no, but I was teaching it.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I know.
Speaker 6: Confused me too because I'm about to go into my daughter's class the next time.
Speaker 3: Like, so can you exactly.
Speaker 5: To them to do it for real?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 4: For real? I did have such a supportive mom and a supportive family. You know, other people they're working to try to prove their families wrong, and I didn't have that problem. My mom was really really supportive and was like pretty much my Like, I guess I thought time the reason I did it, you know.
Speaker 5: So I'm really lucky.
Speaker 3: That I shut up.
Speaker 1: Because it's like my mom.
Speaker 2: My mom was as My mom and dad were as supportive as they could be because they didn't know what this was. It was like I'm going to LA and I'm gonna be somebody. It was like, well, I mean, you only have one thousand dollars in the car you're gonna get but good luck that you know what I'm saying, and you know, but like you said, to have that in your corner because sometimes, yeah, sometimes it's gotta be bigger than you. Sometimes it's like, Okay, I hear you. I'm gonna fight for that, for the for those words alone, because you believe in me. I'm gonna put in this extra mile, you know what I mean, whatever fuel that is, whatever fuel you need to get you to the next breakthrough. Like like, listen, I've been the star I've been. I've needed security and then those same security guards wouldn't let me in the club I've been. I get it, and you just have to keep pounding until.
Speaker 1: That next breakthrough. When is that next breakthrough? When does that happen?
Speaker 4: One? Yeah, like in my life now or about I'm like, I don't know what tonight.
Speaker 1: Both you get dropped out.
Speaker 5: I cried about that part.
Speaker 2: I love that you get dropped in seventeen you cried the mom's I'm just gonna keep working. That work at some point pays off. When is that?
Speaker 5: So? I actually the acting stuff paid off.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 5: I got a.
Speaker 4: Role in Screamed TV series on MTV, which is great because horror is my favorite genre.
Speaker 5: So I was like, oh my god, I get to die on a show.
Speaker 4: I get that guy, and that's a whole other story that will say for another time.
Speaker 5: I had the best time dying.
Speaker 1: So I were you on it for a minute though, before you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was ten episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ten, Yeah, that's called reoccurring. Yeah, recurrent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you've been around me kind of. It was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I got the role.
Speaker 4: On Scream and that was, like, I mean, after so many years of nos, I was like, oh shit, I got a yes when I got the part, and then I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Should I still have to work? Like the yes is interesting. Yes, It's like yes, and good job, Let's get to work.
Speaker 4: So then moved to New Orleans for a little bit to shoot the show, which also is my favorite place in the entire world.
Speaker 3: This is great, that's so beautiful.
Speaker 4: It is so beautiful. So while I'm shooting that show for those two years from when I'm fifteen to or no, I got dropped to seventeen. So from seventeen to like nineteen, for those two years, I was doing covers and releasing covers every week, sometimes twice a week with one of the producers and this producer duo that stuck with me after I got dropped that had just started working, so before they dropped me.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, So how long are you doing the covers?
Speaker 4: The covers, so I've been doing them now, probably for like two years. And we did Hotline Bling and then that one went ultra viral. And this was like at the point where I was still pretty rare to get a million views. And when I got my first million views, I was like, like I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was on top of the world. I was like, what is going on? And so that happened while I was shooting the show, so it was actually like a perfect combination of everything happening at one time, and it was just like, oh my god, Like my moment is like starting up again, you know.
Speaker 5: It felt amazing.
Speaker 4: And after that, we just kept releasing covers and they kept doing really well.
Speaker 5: And then I got a.
Speaker 4: Call from my manager at the time and he was like, all these regulators are caring me, like I think we should start talking, and I was like, oh my god. And then I met with a few and then I met with Republican. Republican I'm on now, they uh loved me. We talked and I just felt like the right place to be.
Speaker 1: And then you got an advance.
Speaker 5: Then I finally.
Speaker 3: You know, you know my next question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ace, Oh you know what.
Speaker 4: Actually I think I put it into Yes, I did. I put it into getting another car because I always wrecked my cars back then, way better.
Speaker 5: I probably could listen.
Speaker 4: I was sixteen, had my license for two weeks when I had moved to LA. In the car, I was like six, So I learned how to drive in LA.
Speaker 5: That's hard, you.
Speaker 4: Guys, Okay, right if you say so, yeah, what it was hard for me?
Speaker 5: Total?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, without it being my fault.
Speaker 1: Okay, seems like you have a gift.
Speaker 4: With it being my fault or shared faults.
Speaker 5: I know it is with insurance.
Speaker 1: Split this down in the middle.
Speaker 4: Let me think one, two, probably four or five. Oh so okay, let me rewind really quick. So I had actually learned a lot about songwriting when I first came here, too, because when I wasn't in gymnastics teaching gymnastics that didn't know how to do, I was in sessions, and my from some of my sessions, it got around that I was the one singing the demos.
Speaker 5: So then some of.
Speaker 4: Like the biggest pop people, we're hearing my demos and would want me to come in demo thing.
Speaker 5: So that's how I made some money.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know what.
Speaker 6: No, No, before we go any further, No, because we like to. We like to we like to highlight like things that you can do while you're trying to survive this thing like outside listen, And I want to say I commend you for having a job, because a lot of people feel like when they get in this thing, I don't have to have a job. No more are there above a job. No, you have to take care of yourself. So if you got to go teach wherever, if you got to lie and tell people you know how to flip and you don't know how to flip, and you get a job teaching flips, give one.
Speaker 4: I mean, I worked at CBS when I had my record deal, So.
Speaker 1: I have to have a job.
Speaker 6: Take care of yourself, Like, this is not something that we get in that people just think that you just.
Speaker 1: Hit the lottery.
Speaker 6: No, this is not how it works. This is the real journey. Your journey is a very real journey. And like I said, I commend you for this journey because that is something special that you were even of the mind and didn't get I'm only sixteen, I don't have to get no job, or just.
Speaker 2: Didn't stand on ceremony like I got a record deal. What I look like with a job. And when you have.
Speaker 6: This record deal, this said record deal, if they were giving you money, you're incurring debt, which artists never realize and pay attention to. It's like I'm living here, No records are happening, nothing is going on. Yet, these sessions are adding up, This rent money is adding up. All these things are going against my account, taking away and taking away because at some point, labels also look at getting a little upside down, a little too much in the red.
Speaker 2: We in the red on your rent, on your soul. So wen, it's gonna make us put less into.
Speaker 3: The artists, artists, so go get your job.
Speaker 4: Job. And also like, even if you do feel above it, there's so much ship in the industry. You could be doing, like literally from square one ship you could be doing. You could be getting voice lessons or guitar lessons or whatever. Set a TV exactly and get more experience while you're doing it.
Speaker 6: The fact that you were also demo singing for people as a sign artists, that does not happen. I've watched so many artists struggle financially because they won't go do something.
Speaker 1: It's like, wait, why it's music. Yeah, I'll do anything, surviving.
Speaker 2: This ship, keyboard player, you need, you need some backgrounds.
Speaker 5: I'm the same way.
Speaker 4: But I feel like people people come to La or go to New York or whatever for fame, and that's just so it's such a it's so unattainable. It's like such a horrible thing to have as your goal. Like, if that's what you're looking for, we all know it goes like this. Like so for that to be the thing that's like holding you down and like keeping you in a city and keeping you in industry, that's going to be a very empty, empty dream in a very unfulfilling life in my eyes, because you're literally always trying to chase a feeling rather than chasing the feeling that music gives you. Like I was always taught that music was like was therapy. It was something that was really genuine and authentic, and so it was never about fame for me, no matter how many times people were like, she's a star, she's a star, she's a star. And my childhood it was never about that. For me. It was about music and how it made people feel. I do this not to make things about me, but to make it about how we connect as people, and how I connected my fans. I always say, like when people come up to me, First of all, I still don't believe it.
Speaker 5: It's still crazy to me when people.
Speaker 4: Come up to me. It's not that they're coming up to me because I'm so important. It's I've had a certain effect the music had said, has had some sort of effect on them so deeply, that connection that it reminds them and they look at me and they're like, oh shit, Like this is the person that's saying that one song that made me feel like this, Like I remember I was the ex girl for so long. I was the hotline blin girl for so long, and I was okay with that. I didn't care if you knew I was Keana. Like if I'm the hotline blin girl and hotline bling made you feel good, I'm the fucking hotline blinking So then so.
Speaker 3: You're doing your own republic get the deal?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How long is it until you get your hair record?
Speaker 1: Though? How long? Like?
Speaker 3: What's what's that end? Did you quit? Your job you got when you got this deal? Did you quit your job?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I did. I think X was out.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember how old I was. I'm not I need to check the facts on that one, because it all feels like one year up until this point. But it was out for I think a year before. It was like doing something on the radio.
Speaker 3: Did you put it out? Like, did you leak it or did the label? It was it like an official release?
Speaker 6: It was?
Speaker 3: It just wasn't catching at first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was an official release, but it wasn't catching at first.
Speaker 5: But I feel like that's also like.
Speaker 4: R and B music, it takes a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Time too, you know, it's a slow burn with R and B.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it wasn't. It wasn't a surprised me. It was a surprise. I didn't really know what to expect.
Speaker 3: It was when it did.
Speaker 6: Was there something that that clicked or like, was it a it popped on something or just over time people just start taking to it, just overtime. So it wasn't like a TikTok challenge that no kicked it off or nothing like that.
Speaker 4: No, when you guys find a TikTok song that I like, that I can sing and everybody dances to it.
Speaker 3: Let me know you like TikTok.
Speaker 4: Isn't that I don't like the TikTok song. It's I can't find I can't Okay.
Speaker 1: You feel like was that shape?
Speaker 2: It was not?
Speaker 5: Shade was not shade?
Speaker 3: Don't make TikTok song?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I actually did. Used to joke about that though. When TikTok first came out during COVID, I used to call it flip flaps and nick knocks and call it all types of crazy shit. But that's because I'm like, oh, I'm against social media in general.
Speaker 5: I just hate social media.
Speaker 4: But I understand that we have to do it for work, so it literally feels like work to me. But I just like hate. Even when I was in high school, middle school, all the ship, I stayed off of it, like I did not like it. So I just don't like social media in general. So when it first came out, I was very resistant and we're like, yes, very anti okay.
Speaker 2: So first of all, x Ex's Fire, thank you, super super Fire and Platinum tough to do.
Speaker 3: Where did you put your plaquet?
Speaker 4: I actually don't have one yet.
Speaker 1: I respect it.
Speaker 6: I didn't have like listen, I purposely didn't for my like the songwriter, I just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't you don't want to play it, or you just don't have I didn't want them for.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 4: It's not that I don't want it, it's that COVID happened, so it stopped. Usually, like when I would get my plaques, I would go to the label and it would be like a whole presentation thing, and it was like it was like.
Speaker 1: More, well, I'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: I don't blacks come in for you.
Speaker 1: We go to sky club and you know that's normally what happens. You feel me.
Speaker 4: No, Like when I got like my YouTube like a million subscribers thing and some stuff.
Speaker 6: Like call that talk that cool about your accomplishments, like you earn ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need to know. Motherfucker's gotta know subscribers, subscribers. They gotta know what subscribers is. People that's tuning in on the motherfucking regular.
Speaker 6: They got notifications, notifications they get they get a notifiation when you're doing.
Speaker 1: And they tune in you a million million up, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: People trying to get a hundred people to show up you got a million that talk your plaques?
Speaker 3: She had a mean that means she got more, now got more?
Speaker 1: Now they talk? How ma you saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I like it getting on everybody, guys.
Speaker 4: I'm here, I'm gonna remind myself.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: I don't know why it's so hard for me to like acknowledge my accomplishments and also like take credit for shit like I am a million percent always like giving flowers to my entire team, Like I know how much it takes to do something. I couldn't fucking do this shit about myself. Christine basicallyund my whole life, like she is that bitch that's my manager. If you guys didn't know what I was talking about, my daughter, you really did. I like to use that with my stepdad as I knew my mom before you did you.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But yeah, So, like I mean, Christine, I feel like everybody else, I'm just the face of what the entire team is working on. So that's also probably why it's hard for me to like accept it, because I want to give credit to everybody, and so it feels like it almost feel like selfish when I'm accepting these Well.
Speaker 6: Let's Shout out the team right now, because it ain't no ain't no clock on this right now.
Speaker 3: Shout out the team, come on, come on.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Christine first of all, okay, all the time. Shout out to ten Summers, come on, come on, come on. Shout out to l M A and Jesse J depending on their tours. Also for being women and still doing that talk.
Speaker 1: No jealousy, no hate, no.
Speaker 5: Jealousy, no hate.
Speaker 4: No matter how much the industry wants to pin us together, they said no, no.
Speaker 5: Shout out to you guys for having me here. Shout out to you guys.
Speaker 3: Over there the shout outs.
Speaker 4: It's just it's a good shout out to Republic.
Speaker 1: Shout out Republic.
Speaker 4: Shout out to my first label for let me go. I could be somewhere else.
Speaker 6: That's very important, very important, because they could have held on to you. They could shout out to them, held held you up.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I also just want to say, I just want to throw my two cents out there. Don't be afraid to own it. You are who and what you are, and it is okay to say I am her, I'm her. Thank you to my team and everyone that helped make this happen.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and me, I.
Speaker 2: Like that because you know it's it's okay to to appreciate yourself. It's okay to say, you know what, I dug deep and we thought for that mm hmm. And the recognize that in you, and that helps you identify exactly what you're capable of, how much more you have to do, how much more you can do, Like, all of those things are important. Look at yourself and the man, I'm a bad motherfucker. You better notice sometimes sometimes a motherfucker too would need to hear that from you. M h what you're talking to I'm a bad motherfucker.
Speaker 4: That to myself in the mirror.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been on tour. No pay god deals, no advances.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying. They're not gonna do that again.
Speaker 3: You paid your dues. You paid your dues for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, what's what's next? What's going on? Talking to.
Speaker 5: In the story? Are we now present day?
Speaker 1: Right now? You are here? You just what did we tell you earlier? Yeah, it's your world. We don't give up.
Speaker 4: I forgot I am her, you are, I feel nicole, all of us. So you're seeing those previous in the movies. Nicole was just like, we need the.
Speaker 5: All of us.
Speaker 4: Heartbreak feels good in a place like this sometimes I want to like fall asleep to that.
Speaker 2: No, I just want to understand. There's so many kids here to see Spider Man, Like, what is she doing?
Speaker 1: Sultry?
Speaker 2: And if you're in this theater, you.
Speaker 1: Yeah what I make?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that is good.
Speaker 4: That's really what it feels like. That royalty is greeting us and yeah, theater.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. Okay. So now right now today, what is happening.
Speaker 4: To day? Well, I'm here with you guys, getting ready to release the album.
Speaker 1: M what's the name of the album?
Speaker 5: Grudges?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 4: Did that dig deep already?
Speaker 1: That's exciting, like grudges. I like that. I love grudges.
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Do you hold grudges? Boy?
Speaker 1: Y'all?
Speaker 6: Boy, listen, If you promised me something when I was five, it still owe me.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: I ain't gonna say your name, but you're one of my father's friends. You promised me a bike when I was five.
Speaker 1: Man, you did this again. It's you.
Speaker 6: You can start and cannot ride with me in any of my cars now, yeah, really car outside you can't ride with us. She would have bought me that guy and vick you and stopped trying to flost me because you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He was around my daddy like you get the little nigga bike man. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You want we want to have You wanna bex.
Speaker 3: Grudges? I'm holding mine.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 4: I love grudges. I'm working on it though, I'm working on being I'm trying. Okay, let me let me let me rephrase that I'm trying to work on it. I am journaling.
Speaker 5: That's uh No. I think what I'm really doing now is learning.
Speaker 4: To forgive people that already hurts when I say it loud. It's like I'm learning to forgive people because I have no other choice for myself and like to not ever. I just really try to be authentic and genuine and loving to people. So I always ask my question. We always do, like why would this person do this? Why would they do this? And my best friend he just passed away in August, and he that's okay, thank you, And he would say to me, stop asking yourself that question, because you'll never understand because you're not them. Everybody's different and everyone lives by their own set of rules, and that's fine. I just have to know what I put up with. And once I decided like, hey, those morals and rules just don't match up with mine, and that's okay. So I don't have to now ask why would that person do that? I just need to forgive them for having their own shit and decide it's not for me.
Speaker 2: I know you're young. You are m hm singer Yeah, an R and B singer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well trained, well trained since the Agent tree.
Speaker 2: Just the age of Tree harmonies, since the tender age of sixteen months. Yeah. So I know you have some some favorites that you've been listening to all these years, and we want you to put them into a top five, your top five. Mm hmm, top five, your.
Speaker 1: Top five only besing on that, bess ah, Well, you want to know.
Speaker 4: I want, I want to know. I want, I want to know.
Speaker 3: Yo fu.
Speaker 6: Woo.
Speaker 1: Some people feel me. I felt that some people feel me.
Speaker 5: I thought you were going to do a couple more of that high note at.
Speaker 1: The end, though I was feeling it.
Speaker 2: I was just, you know, I wanted to get to your to the moment where you speak and talk.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Kana mm hmmm. Your top five R and B singers, no particular order, no particular GENDERO, yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, it's kind of hard.
Speaker 4: Number one Jenne.
Speaker 5: I just love her. She is always top of my list.
Speaker 2: We love love. She's a vibe, but she's also very technically sound. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: She's just not singing to be singing like it's it's effortless. There's a vibe there, but there is skill level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shut up, they got they got their whole thing over there.
Speaker 5: No, please give her usher mm hm million. I mean I learned half of the runs I do from from Russia, Rihanna.
Speaker 4: I have Rianna and Beyonce, which I think they both kind of sit in the R and B for sure, but also pop category because pop is popular.
Speaker 1: Artist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if not the most one of the most incredible performers we have ever period period period. And yeah, are you It was so like gentle I said, I'm in the behalf.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean she's been she's been her absolutely, she'd be fucking doing her ship. So Beyonce shout out to Beyonce and then Frank Frank Ocean R.
Speaker 2: And B songs. Yeah, you smiling like you got it together.
Speaker 4: I was just watching the video. I realized I had never watched it. But Pretty One's by Maxwell like one of my favorite songs ever, and I've loved it since I was younger. Lesson learned Alicia that song. I was singing that song when I was in like third grade, like walking around the park singing it, crying like I knew about heartbreak, which I did, I didn't know about the type of heartbreak you get.
Speaker 1: I feel.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I had to look for my next one.
Speaker 5: Oh Gibbers by Ryan.
Speaker 3: Leslie, Ryan less Monster, give it up for.
Speaker 4: So Good.
Speaker 5: Eternal Sunshine by Janet.
Speaker 4: I love that song because in the video too, you can see she's like laying on a street and there's a car accident in the back. And she had written it. From my understanding, she had written it about how her brother watches over her family. When her and her daughter and her daughter's father were in the car, they had an accident that they were supposed to like really not be okay from, and they made it out. And that song always spoke to me. But I was freaking out about death for like a year and some change, and just about how we have no control over it. I never want to die scared of death, scared of anyone else. Like my thing about death is like not only like losing someone that's passed, but losing everyone when I pass, Like I'm scared to miss everybody that I met in this lifetime, you know. And so that's been something that I was constantly thinking about. And then I lost my best friend and it was real to me, like that fear was validated, and I did feel this sense of like we really don't have control, so we really have to take every moment and live it fully. Before my best friend passed away, I performed at Soul Bloom and Janet was the headliner and.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: Listening to her, and then her very last song she did was Eternal Sunshine and there was like bubbles. I was high as fuck on mushrooms too, so it was like whoa. But because I was freaking out about death for so long, I was crying so hard. And then that was a moment for me because Jane knew she asked me for a picture, so I was freaking out.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what to do with myself.
Speaker 4: And then after my best friend had passed away three days later, I was in Atlanta because I had to go perform somewhere, and I was just like so sad because we needed to move the IDAs out of his apartment and there was a lot of shit we had to do and I couldn't be there for that, and so it like broke my heart. And I was going through all this like shock and grief and shit, and it was just Christina and I and Atlanta, and we were at this restaurant and I just really started thinking about how uh he was murdered, and I started thinking about how everything happened, because it's like that was like really a really traumatic thing and sudden. And so as I'm like about to cry in this brunch spot, I think I was crying, and then I went to the bathroom and I was like, I go to the bathroom. I don't want to like cry in front of these people. That song in this brunch spot starts playing and he knows like how much I loved Janey and what like that song means to me, And it just really came full circle.
Speaker 5: And she says, well, I've.
Speaker 4: Seen the more that I know I don't know anything at all, the more that I breathed and start to go slow, Oh, all the many things, I can only recall only the good things, good things, only the good things. And it was like he's telling me that he's okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he's telling me that.
Speaker 4: Whatever things he experienced in his life, the good things are what he's taking with him in whatever energy he's leaving with you know. And I felt, really I'm like crying and like singing the song and like talking to him in the bathroom, Like whoever would have been in that bathroom would have been like what the fuck is going on? But like I'm talking to him out loud in the bathroom and I'm just like, okay, I get it, Like you're.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: Because he was also that person like I would cry to him a lot, and like every time I would cry to him, he'd be like it's gonna be okay. Like he would like pinch me or some shit and like joke with me. But then he would just like put his hands on my shoulders and smile and be like it's okay, Like You're gonna be okay. And so that song felt really like perfect and comforting, and I really do think he put that energy into the world for that song. To come to me and play for me. So it has a really special place in my heart with that. I mean, obviously it's an incredible song, but that song just has even more meaning to me now to music, do to do, Yeah, for real, for real. And then my last one is lost Onelivan.
Speaker 5: That song she's just singing on.
Speaker 4: A whole other level and is different, different.
Speaker 3: Different, different. It's some people that I hear singing.
Speaker 4: I'm like, how right, how how.
Speaker 3: Do you sing this way?
Speaker 1: Let's get to your volt trump. Oh yeah, we're gonna create your.
Speaker 2: Your R and B artists. You're making the greatest R and B artists of all time, and you're gonna take You're gonna grab the vocal from somebody. You're gonna you're gonna grab the styling from somebody, the performance style from somebody, and the passion of the artist, the heart of the artist. If you're making your perfect R and B artists, who are you getting the vocal from?
Speaker 4: I think I'm getting the vocal from Brandy.
Speaker 1: That's where you're gonna go.
Speaker 3: Ye, very vocal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her tone is just like.
Speaker 3: Out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you wow, Okay, who are you getting the styling from?
Speaker 1: What they're putting on. Who got that drip that you like? That appeals?
Speaker 6: I think Mariah hm hmm Mariah big gowns the versatility.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, she does it all high to the grocery store.
Speaker 1: She can go from the gown to the Daisy Dukes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mariah, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Out.
Speaker 4: Dinosaur outside.
Speaker 1: What was that? It's fine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to keep that too. Who are you getting the performance style.
Speaker 2: From on stage?
Speaker 1: Going crazy?
Speaker 4: Beyonce?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Why not go for it? I like where you're going with this, even all females is getting.
Speaker 4: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: Like it? Okay, all right, all right, we got one more thing. Who are you getting the passion from the heart of the at the heart.
Speaker 5: Rihanna m m yeah. I want that attitude.
Speaker 4: Like she is for her ship, but she also has that like kindness in her heart and she's able to fucking go off, but also like.
Speaker 5: Get down with that.
Speaker 4: What's that six songs she got up all the brain that one.
Speaker 5: Just get you? Yeah, yeah, she goes off.
Speaker 1: I like, I like, I like what you did.
Speaker 4: There, thank you.
Speaker 5: I feel good about that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, ship.
Speaker 4: I'm really indecisive. So that was I'm proud of myself.
Speaker 6: I said, cold vote Trump, cold vote Trump, Oh, female vote, that's the best of the best. I like you say, I'm rolling. I'm rolling, but we got some way. He's back on this piano.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: Know what's coming.
Speaker 1: I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 2: Ain't saying no names. Were was weird.
Speaker 1: What you did? Don't say she I ain't saying no name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very very very important segment, very important part of the show. It's called I ain't saying no that. We tell us a story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up about your travels, your journey and.
Speaker 3: This ship the only thing, And you tell us this story. You can't say no names names.
Speaker 6: You know, we talk about one of the grudges if you want to you know what I mean. I know, I know you probably got a studio grudge or something something. You got some grudges, somebody, somebody didn't pay you for one demo.
Speaker 1: You got some ship.
Speaker 4: There's so many things I want to say, but I got an nda.
Speaker 1: You guys, oh ship, actually ship. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you do.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna get you soup mid Well neal today.
Speaker 4: Maybe they won't remember this one.
Speaker 5: They Yeah, they probably won't remember.
Speaker 4: This is fucked up, stuck good, and this is something that women have to deal with in the industry, you know, mostly women. I was talking to some people that I was working with and it was around my birthday and I was turning twenty one, and these people were like, I think you should lie about your age. I said, I'm twenty one, and they were like, but I think, like it's a good idea for you to say you're twenty. I was like, what is one year going to do? And they were like, people lie about their age all the time. This person thirty this versus twenty seven this person. And I was like, but I'm twenty one, like twenty one. I really don't think it's a big deal.
Speaker 5: One year.
Speaker 4: I think I'm good and I think like they probably thought I could go under the radar and say I was twenty for another like three years you thought I was twenty three, right, Yeah, maybe i'm twenty three today, I'm twenty three. People didn't about money, were they there when I was born?
Speaker 1: And they just wanted you to lie about your age.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for one year.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: All the time, they thought that was going to get you more cracking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they thought it was it was gonna give me one more year to have a chance to be successful.
Speaker 2: What yeah, yeah, twenty to twenty one. H see, because if you aren't legal, legal, illegal drinker yet, then this is a certain innocence that remains.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's based off of this like wanting to keep women into this like weird, young innocent, naive. I always call it, like like people want well also it's this mentality of like you market.
Speaker 5: For men, like you want to be hot, right.
Speaker 4: And I always say, like a lot of men want a porn star virgin, like they want that sexiness.
Speaker 2: But also not at all.
Speaker 4: The man that I was around at that time. Okay, almost every single one of them wanted a virgin.
Speaker 1: What demographic.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like this thing that we battle to fucking not seem too mature, not seem too smart. Like it's just gross.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 4: I know. Yeah, you guys have daughters, yes obviously, so you get it, like you get.
Speaker 2: But I think even from a taste standpoint, like I a woman, Yeah, even if it's a young woman woman, Yeah, with something to talk about.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think these people were pretty successful in like the nineties early two thousands when it's like Britney and like even Alicia.
Speaker 5: You know, everyone was.
Speaker 4: Like seventeen when they were coming out. So it gave you a couple more years. It would give me a couple more years. If I was twenty, it would give me at least one more year, because God forbid, I have my moment at twenty eight.
Speaker 1: God forbid, God forbid.
Speaker 2: But if you're twenty seven, do.
Speaker 4: You have an extra year?
Speaker 2: Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Crazy, that's fucked up.
Speaker 1: Whatever this is gonna.
Speaker 2: Look like she's talking about some ship on this album, getting off her chest.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, telling you what it is you're doing wrong. You're doing wrong, you did it wrong?
Speaker 5: You want to song?
Speaker 2: And this has been the Army Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B. And this has just been the awesome, the amazing.
Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 6: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube, dot com, Forward, slash r and b Money