Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're joined by Disney Channel Royalty. You might know her from that So Raven, The Cheetah Girls, and now the CW's original game show Scrabble. It's the one, the only Raven Simone. She's here with us today. It's Thursday, October twenty fourth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 1: And I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 3: And this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share woman's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day. Danielle, Danielle, today is such a big day for the show. We have Raven Simone here with us today.
Speaker 1: Are you crying? Not yet? Not yet, but there will be tears. I'm sure. I'm so excited about this.
Speaker 2: She's she's one of the few people in Hollywood who has almost checked every box. She's hosted, she's acted, she's directed, she's danced, I mean just across the board.
Speaker 3: Well, she checked the box of My Heart a long time ago. I've probably seen every episode of that So Raven. I just have these vivid memories of me and my little cousin Maya sitting on her couch watching That's so Raven.
Speaker 1: Until we passed out.
Speaker 3: I mean not to get too deep, but like we were actually going through some grief as a family, and Raven Simone just brought so much joy to our lives.
Speaker 1: Like she was just so goofy and silly and fun and free, and that energy was so contagious.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's what the best comedians do, right, if they like bring joy in in good times and in hard times.
Speaker 3: Fun fact about that so Raven It was actually the first time a black woman starred in a self titled comedy series on the Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: I mean that's huge.
Speaker 3: Like, I truly don't know that we have given Raven Simone enough credit for her how much of a trailblazer she is.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've talked about her acting chaps, we've talked about her comedic genius. Can we talk about the Cheetah Girls, Girl Power two point zero.
Speaker 1: She had a girls, she had a sister.
Speaker 2: Those albums and movies just brought so much joy to our lives.
Speaker 1: And I actually didn't know this.
Speaker 2: She's released four albums and performed on Broadway. She's really done so much.
Speaker 3: Just a megawatt talent, and now she's in her game show host Era I'm so excited for her. Raven Simone is currently hosting Scrabble on the CW and she's actually a board game fan irl.
Speaker 1: Y'all, Hi, Dan, Yelle.
Speaker 3: What do you think that we have to do to score an invite to one of her legendary game nights?
Speaker 1: How do that?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's our goal for this interview is we need an invite to game night.
Speaker 1: You and I are word girls.
Speaker 3: I always say that my goal for an interviewer conversation is to get another conversation. I want to get a game night out of this conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're definitely putting that on our wish list, So let's bring her in. The one and only Raven Simone. Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Raven Simone. I have to fangirl just for a moment.
Speaker 3: You mean a lot to me because you were my first famous Simone on TV. I know it's only part of your name, okay, but for all the Simones in the world and for all the times people have misspelled my name, I was just like, oh my gosh, there's another Simone and she's goofy.
Speaker 4: Do you smell like similar, We don't, okay, but that's okay, that's fine. It was the same, you know syllables exactly.
Speaker 3: I feel like we have to give you your flowers because you were the youngest black woman to have a show named after her on television, one of the longest running Disney Channel stars ever. I truly don't think you get enough credit for what you did for POC representation before we were even talking about the representation, you know. And then I looked at the comments beneath this YouTube interview that you did, and it restored my face in the internet, because clearly everyone knows that you are still that girl. If I can, I want to read you some of these comments. Oh my people said, this woman is literally living black history. She's my inspiration. She raised us, she is the blueprint. Now, something that I've learned as I've gotten older is that receiving love can often be harder than giving it immediately. Yes, do you feel like you're at a stage in your life where you're able to receive this love?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it's really I guess there's two types to it, right, Like I hear you and I say thank you, and that's a genuine thank you and a genuine like oh, thank you, And then the other part of me is like, who are you talking about? Like I don't know who you're talking about, because I was working so hard and a lot of stuff was going on at certain times, and I wasn't always present for those moments, so it is hard to receive the flowers. And then sometimes I'm like, yeah, you're right, I was that thank you. I do want my award that nobody gave me, but and that doesn't sit all the time on my shoulders.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: And then the other side was like, you don't really need it because you have so many other things that you want to do. And I'm not in it for the awards. I'm in it for the money. And I'm also in it real talk, real time talk, We'll talk. You are so funny, but I am. I'm in it to just keep working and sustain my life. And people like Debbie Allen have been working for years and I see her. She's healthy, she's happy, and I'm like, that's what I want. I work so I can live and enjoy life.
Speaker 2: You know, when I saw how happy Debbie Allen and her husband were in real life at a party, I just looked at them and I thought, that's what I want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is special. That whole family is our goals for me. I am friends with the family and we have waves like I'm in their life full, I'm like sleeping over and then I'm like, I gotta go, i gotta work, and we will see each other for a while. But all the while we are always connected and we know how the industry will try to tear families apar who push wedges between people, but we understand it. We can look each other in each other's souls and be like love you, love you too, see you in the next ones. I love Miss Debbie and her whole family. I was having a conversation with my friend the other day. She's a musician, but she said something that I thought was really profound. She was like, it's not the failures that you have to worry about, it's actually the successes, because the successes.
Speaker 1: Are the things that can tear families apart.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that is a true statement as well.
Speaker 1: Both can do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to be honest, like, especially in our industry, failures haunt you forever. Really, I think so, especially now social media. Unless you pay somebody to get it off the internet. That's gone. Anytime you type certain people's names, you're always going to see their failure first. But yes, the successes in families just like a just like a good old will reading that's funny, just like a good old death. In a family, somebody's going to be fighting for the success and that's my money. It's like, oh goodness, gracious, go sit down.
Speaker 2: So you bring up Debbie Allen. I want to talk about Whoopie Goldberg because I love that. Did you meet when you started co hosting the View?
Speaker 4: So we met before? Actually she remembers more than I do. We met when I was a lot younger, and she said I scared her because I was like an adult in a baby's body and she was very scared of me. I do not remember this moment, but we do have a picture together, and I'm like, it's probably that time. Then when I did Sister Act, we met while I was an adult officially conscious, and then we grew to love each other and become family.
Speaker 2: On the View, I interviewed Ego Nowoh diem a few months ago, and she has this photo with Whoopee and she said that it felt like an invitation I loved that description because you're nodding your head, did it like it feels like a stamp almost. What does that relationship or mentorship with Whoopee mean?
Speaker 4: Whoop Bee? I don't even have a word to describe Whoopye Goldberg and the energy field that she lives in on an everyday basis. All I know is that she's Auntie Whoop and you know, she's a woman of a certain age. So she has her times and her thoughts, and she speaks her mind and she has her moods, and at every single step of it, I'm like.
Speaker 1: What do you need?
Speaker 4: I got I will hold your coattails for you whatever you need. And my wife feels the same way. My wife is like, you should call her more like I still get starstruck because that's like.
Speaker 2: Auntie Whoop in the phone, even when you're out her Thanksgiving table, your starstruck.
Speaker 4: When she cooked for us, I'm still like, thanks, thanks, whoop Like, I still she's majestic, she's a unif's immortal. She's immortal, and she's looking better with age. Honey, have you seen her recently? I don't know why she likes me. I'm I'm projecting here but I have a soul and she has a soul still even though we've been in this industry for so long, and she checks in on me, man, like I just did the view the other day. She didn't talk to me through the whole television interview, and some people are like, why didn't.
Speaker 1: You talk to you?
Speaker 4: I said, because we had a whole conversation offline. We don't have to talk in the public to show that we love each other. Like she's like, you didn't call me when your brother died. I'm mad at you because you know what that is, and I'm supposed to be there. I was like, you cared.
Speaker 1: I love somebody she is.
Speaker 4: She's majestic.
Speaker 5: I love here, surely, thank you for sharing that with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't worries she's I love that woman.
Speaker 3: Did it feel good to be able to dip in and then dip out of the view on the same time every.
Speaker 4: Time I kept one foot by the door, Yes, in case they tried to close me in. No, no, no, I absolutely love the people there, from Brian Teta to all of the producers, would be Sarah, all the the panelists.
Speaker 1: I think that's a special place.
Speaker 4: I do get PTSD when the cameras start rolling and we have to actually quote unquote work and do the job that we're there for. That's not my favorite, but it is my favorite to see those people and feel that love. It's a different kind of love on that set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Raven, your range is so impressive, Like between your work on the Cosby Show that's so Raven, Raven's Home, everything in between. You've truly amassed this intergenerational fan base. But I want to know what's something only the real Raven Simone fans know about you?
Speaker 4: Ooh, oh, my goodness.
Speaker 1: Great question and a toughie.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess the real Raven Simone fans know that I went on tour within Sync back in the day. Yeah, that I was like massively touring during ENGL. Mister Cooper, maybe.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you were touring with them with in sinc.
Speaker 4: I was thirteen twelve area it was the Bye Bye Bye era.
Speaker 1: My goodness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was crazy. Mandy Moore was on there, Jordan Knight was on there, A third Story was there. Yeah, it was a It was a massive tour that I traveled around and I went a bago because we didn't have any record label and went to every city that they did, and they had two stages back then. Yeah, I mean like you had one stage that was by the front that everybody came in. It was like me and all the other ones, and then you had the big stage.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna give all the listeners a little inside Scoop Raven showed up fifteen minutes early.
Speaker 5: I did to our interview.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Well, you're one of the only people to ever do that, and I wanted the reason I noticed it was, I was thinking, you've spent so much of your life on set. I was going to ask you what you've picked up that you carry over into your life. But timeliness, I think is one of them.
Speaker 4: Because I did not get that from Segur.
Speaker 1: You didn't know.
Speaker 4: That came from people being late for me and me being irantated as hall because you're late and you're wasting my time. I have things to do today. Why do you think that you're more important than me? My wife is like yeah, but we're in LA like fashionably late is like cool. I'm like yeah, yeah, yeah, get the car.
Speaker 1: We got to go.
Speaker 4: It's the appointments at one. Let's get the car at eleven o'clock, and I want to be there just in case they could take me early, because if I can get in early, I can go home early and then I can go and just relax on the couch. But I don't like when people have to wait for me. I think it's disrespectub full, and I feel disrespected when people do that to me.
Speaker 5: I think that's so cool.
Speaker 1: I agree, completely agree.
Speaker 5: Okay, can we talk about that, so, Raven, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So dn't didn't.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm not gonna do it, Simon, and I.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: My soul is gonna leave my body if he starts singing the you guys sing with me, I'll sing it, of course, of course dn't.
Speaker 2: Dn't.
Speaker 4: Didn't. If you can.
Speaker 3: Into the future, future future, my thing life would be a Drees life.
Speaker 1: Is a free trouble from this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not that easy.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I try.
Speaker 4: It's goody good, Oh my wait, I just need a moment that was so insane, my jack it off.
Speaker 1: Those are so cool. You don't understand, Raven. Maybe you do, I don't. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: I mean my version version.
Speaker 1: I cannot do this interview anymore. I'm again, Yeah, thank you so much. When I tell my cousin that we just did, I just I'm hilarious. Oh thanks, ladies.
Speaker 2: We have to take a short break, but we'll be right back with Raven Simone. And we're back with Raven Simone. A lot of news has come out recently about how during a few episodes of That So Raven, there was footage that was edited of you to appear slimmer.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, were you aware of that? Yes, you told that. It's on the internet.
Speaker 2: There was a former Disney Channel exec that wrote something, where are they SIPs her water?
Speaker 4: Wow? I can't believe they released that. Cool beans, what do you say?
Speaker 1: Who was it?
Speaker 2: Adam Bonnet specifically referenced a school dance episode.
Speaker 4: So that's the Raven is. It was during a time when weight was not celebrated like it is now. There's this really interesting thing you can do with film when you're in television, and you can stretch the film. So if you're wide and you stretch it long ways, you look skinnier. And there were talks about that. I can't believe he said that out loud. Okay, Adam, do.
Speaker 5: You feel like that wasn't his story to tell?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't care. It's uh, that's actually if he was the one who started it, that's fine. But I also know the culprits in that conversation that I will not name right now.
Speaker 2: In hindsight, how do you feel about that because you were just a kid, Like it's not like you had say over them doing that, or.
Speaker 4: In hindsight, I was told I was fat all the time, Like I'm used to that on set as a kid. Yeah, but not by people on set. Where was it coming from behind the scenes. That was the industry executives. No, not at all. That was the industries. That was the industry back in the day. I mean, I don't know if you guys remember, but back in the day, they thought I had O Marion's baby because I was fat. They were like, she must be pregnant. I'm like no, I like in and out, go sit down, Like what are you talking about? I'm depressed. Here's my food, Which is why if you look at my pictures from back in the day, Perez Hilton, she looks like a poodle. I didn't get the same visuals as the other ladies did because I didn't look the same, especially during that time when I gained a lot of weight from a really bad breakup, so and depression, all kinds of stuff. But yeah, that was Why do you think I was in heels during all of the Cheetah girls, Because if you were heels, you're taller and you look skinnier. Who struts in the middle of those struts in Spain?
Speaker 1: Just heels?
Speaker 4: When these ladies are in fled I love them.
Speaker 5: I would have never noticed that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, how old were you when that footage was edited?
Speaker 4: Oh? I remember edited footage. I remember the conversation's happening like from the start. So so that wasn't the only time. Oh do you hold on to that? No, I actually forgot about it. I'm really good at disassociating you guys. You guys, if you have a problem, just like, forget about it.
Speaker 3: It works that all the experts say.
Speaker 1: Just just forget about it.
Speaker 2: The only problem is, like I've heard, if you keep running from yourself, eventually you run into yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh all day, And I'm not worried about that right now, Okay, I'm talking about the initial pain. Get rid of it, it's right, and then you'll deal with it later.
Speaker 3: How did you process those things as they were being said to you, did you have someone that you could talk to about it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: How did I process it? I just did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just did.
Speaker 4: You just do what you gotta do because you have hundreds of people that rely on you to show up for a job, you have goals, you have overbearing people around you. And I was in a relationship at the time, and that person actually helped me with a lot of my self esteem because of whatever. But honey, if you only knew I'm writing a book, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were carrying so much from such a young age. You started performing when you were what sixteen months or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a three year old and.
Speaker 3: All he says to me is like, fart, poopy mommy, poopy penis fart. I can't imagine someone being competent.
Speaker 4: And incompetent and.
Speaker 3: Articulate enough at three years old to do what you did.
Speaker 1: You just I'm so impressed by you. Took a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Took a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Well. I was watching that Hulu documentary Child Star.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I was a little afraid.
Speaker 4: I didn't know I was going down. I mean, you get to see the cut beforehand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, oh, this is good.
Speaker 4: I actually want people to watch it.
Speaker 3: There's this one scene that really stuck with me where you're having a conversation with Demi Lovado about a time when you worked on her show and you told her that you instantly pinpointed this glazed overlook in her eyes, and it sounds like you kind of experienced it too. What did that term mean to you?
Speaker 4: Oh, I didn't have a glaze. I was very aware of what's going on. I think I was aware because I had multiple masks that I was working through. I knew at eleven or twelve that I was gay. So first mask towards family, next mass, family teaching me how to be in public, that's the next mass. Next mask coming through, Like I think I'm a little bit dudish, but I'm also in a relationship with a guy, So here's the next mask. I blocked out a lot of that. I never really had the glaze. What I have is the ability to turn off my light when I want to to not be seen, and people might take that however you want to. But with Demmy and a couple other people that I witnessed in the industry, the sadness is too thick.
Speaker 1: To mask.
Speaker 4: It's a little too thick to mask. And I'm sure people meeting me at a certain age might have thought the same thing. But I was very aware, so much so that when I turned eighteen and I got free, I was like, I need to go to therapy. This is incorrect. And never had a drug problem, never had an alcohol problem. I have other problems which all of my partners know about, but they're getting better now, you know what I mean. My wife has helped me so much and just grounding and integrating with who I am and undoing programming, reprogramming and making sure that I'm a semi well rounded human as best as you can be in this industry and on this planet.
Speaker 2: I personally, as like a fan of yours, have seen the light turn back on since you got with your wife.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: It feels like a lot changed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot changed. It's not always a safe space, but my wife is a safe space, and and I was, you know, I had had a lot of different things going on that I don't tell a lot of people about because I try my best to let the quote unquote celebrity of Raven Simone rule the industry and not the personal life. Really bleed into it, but thank you. Yeah, a lot of people said I look a lot happier, and it was. I was a lot happier once I got married to her and who she is and how she treats me.
Speaker 5: When you say you let the celebrity of Raven simone rule is that because you've seen it with other celebrities or what rules that decision?
Speaker 4: What rules that decision is my old programming as well as they weren't ready for me. I knew who I was when my house door closed, you know what I mean, Like that was me, that was hoodie, that was my sexual orientation, my gender orientation, all that. And then when I open the door to walk outside, Oh, Hi, how are you Tit's up. Let's do it. Let's have a conversation. Hi, Like I know it. So I just knew how to play that because my programming taught me that that's what people want to see. And it's still in that way, you know, especially as a female in the industry, they need to lust after you. For you to be popular, you need to have the sex factor. And I never really totally grasped my sensuality and sexuality in public view because that was not really a true moment for me now being that I'm in a comfortable space in my life and who I am. I have it myself and if somebody sees it, they see it well done. But it's not not like it used to be.
Speaker 3: What do you think young closeted Raven Simone needed to hear the most what age?
Speaker 4: Pick an age? I'm gonna let you pick the age. Oh goodness, I'm gonna pick like seventeen. You don't have to continue the facade anymore and lash out at people around you because they want you to be something you're not. You don't have to continue those sad and you're okay to just do you. But then again, that would have been a lie because at that time it was not okay, you know what I mean? Like I needed to hear that the world has changed, even in the past five years. It's changed, you know, and it's rapidly doing that even more now, more and more is okay? I don't know, other than you can quit. You can quit. Probably needed to hear that.
Speaker 1: Did that not feel like an option? That was no?
Speaker 4: No, no, not feel that was not an option? Still is not.
Speaker 1: Can't quit?
Speaker 4: You can't quit because I'm addicted to the life. I'm addicted to the check. I like it. Now I found what I like and if back then I was doing things that I didn't like, you know what I mean. So now I found I direct, I produce, I'm working with my wife like, I have people around me that I like and I want to really work with. Back then, I probably should not have been in the public eye.
Speaker 2: I feel a heaviness when you talk about that time. Just sitting here with you. I know that you are doing your own development deal with Disney now and you have opportunities to tell stories that you want to share. I'm wondering what you're excited about producing if there's a gap you see the stories that you want to tell.
Speaker 4: Thanks to Disney for giving me an overall deal for directing and producing. Really excited about that. So obviously there's a mandate for Disney Channel, and I want to make sure that I'm a part of the zeitgeist of Disney Channel and what they're looking for. So I just directed a pilot called Alice in the Palace. It's a spinoff of Raven's Home with Michael Michelle Harris. She plays two characters in one show, Awesome I'm so proud of her. We just got a cut of the pilot and I started to tear up.
Speaker 1: What made you tear up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why a POC in a big princess dress for a television show.
Speaker 1: I want to cry.
Speaker 4: That's why. That's why I started tearing up. She's killing it. She's killing it, and I hope they pick up the show. That's one.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 4: The stories I want to tell are normalizing stories of someone that is an LGBTQ bus libgitqua community.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that libergita qua.
Speaker 1: Qua. It's so much better.
Speaker 2: When I host lgbt Q i A events. Do you think they'll be cool with me saying the legit community?
Speaker 4: I think if you make sure it has a French accent on top of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would love to see you try, Danielle.
Speaker 5: I would love.
Speaker 1: And I'm sending you the.
Speaker 4: Video and I'll stick of for you.
Speaker 2: Girls.
Speaker 4: I just can't say that. Listen, there's eighty million letters in our I don't know. I just mean something easier. Just give me one word, libita qua. I want to tell libigit da qua stories that are not quote unquote. When some people would say, like, oh, you're forcing it on us. No, we're not, but I do want to have those romance holiday conversations. When it comes to television shows and kids network, I want to make things that are actually funny. Now you're gonna say, what do you mean? What I'm gonna say is I truly believe that a taste for comedy is learned. I grew up with Jim Carrey, I grew up with Adam Sandler, I grew up with Lucy and all these people. I have a taste for comedy that's different than and I love them, but hear me out than a friend's cast. And I don't think that I'm trying to like give slapstick comedy for everyone, but I do think that for the years. Sometimes not all the times, and definitely not with my channel, but sometimes comedy for kids can be watered down because they talked down to kids, and I don't think that that's necessary. That's one of the reasons I loved doing the pilot because Michael Michelle Harris knows how to integrate physical comedy as well as standard but I'm bump jokes, but she does it in a way to where it doesn't seem corny, and I don't want to give kids corny material anymore. I want to laugh along with children's comedy at the same time a four year old is laughing the Shrek effect. I think that's fantastic, and I want to make sure that happens with anything that I touch within the Disney universe.
Speaker 5: I just had a whole revelation as you were speaking about this.
Speaker 1: Do you have a vision slight a second?
Speaker 3: That's so raven question I really want to ask you, and I'm to ask, is what is the secret to mastering that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Fund shouldn't look okay, Isaac, there is a secret. What is it? There is a secret. You have to keep your mouth slightly opened and your tongue down.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's drinking us, right, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I swear you can open your eyes and keep them open if your mouth is open a tiny bit and your tongue is down, and when you start to water and fight through it, you think about here you go, mouth open exactly a little bit.
Speaker 5: You did it so well.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to try.
Speaker 3: You can do it.
Speaker 1: No, you just did it. We're talking about nobody can do it like you.
Speaker 4: Well, this is true, but you did it pretty well. No Isaac, my little my son on Raven's home. He asked me that question. I was like, you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: So I love this boy. Guy.
Speaker 4: He's a grown ass man. Sorry, I love this dude.
Speaker 2: He the way you described him was like he was a four year old.
Speaker 4: I know because I knew him when he was twelve and I was eighteen. He's like a sexy boy.
Speaker 1: I can't handle.
Speaker 4: It's weird. But he has a music career and she go check it out. He asked me, how do you do it? I was like, haha, I'm not gonna tell you. I'm i gonna tell you how you do it. And during the season we would have vision offs, like who could last longest without blinking. I always won, of course always. He always I'm like, you blinked? He so I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I said, I have a fu.
Speaker 4: You got the visions you can't blink.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I had so much fun with him.
Speaker 2: Well, the vision I had we were speaking was that that is what made you so funny on that so Raven. It wasn't like you were playing this character. It was like you were the next generation. You had inherited this gift from people like Whoopee and Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.
Speaker 4: There are very few people carrying that torch. Now, I think Michael Michelle Harris will be able to do it. And I think that as we continue to look for talent in the younger community and I'm there to help them through it, I think we can do that. I mean, listen, when I go through a boot camp with any of my kids from any of my shows, the first thing I do is say you better get Nike ad night because I'm gonna make you watch everything. And I always ask in an audition what television shows do you watch? And when they go to two thousands comedy and say, oh my god, I go, mm okay, I'm gonna take you back to the fifties. I'm gonna take you back a little bit further, just suck it up, and I need you to watch and see the difference. When they see the difference, they go, oh, there was something grounded about those characters, like they weren't acting. But I really do request strongly that anybody who works with me goes and watches what I watch because I also need to reference, you know what I mean, Like if we're doing something and I don't know how to give a direction. I'm like, did you watch the Jimmy Fox show? Okay, now I need that character and this we're oh got it? Did you watch Martin?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 4: And you're too young? That's okay, go to Jimmy Fox.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 4: But you need those things to pull from. It's an encyclopedia, and I think with comedy, you have to learn from your ancestors, and you have to learn George Carlin, even Warren Hutcherson, Like he's a writer that worked on Raven's Home, but he was also a fantastic stand up comedian that I used to watch, and so when he came on the show to write, I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, who's taught you that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: How are you such a student of the game.
Speaker 4: My parents, I wasn't allowed to watch certain television. I was only allowed to watch Nick at Night and classics.
Speaker 3: This is why whoopee said you were an old soul and a young body.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: We need to take another quick break, but we'll be right back to our conversation with Raven Simone. Don't go anywhere, and we're back with Raven Simone. So now that you are at this creative helm and you have the ability to direct and produce, what does a raven simone set feel like? What have you made a point to do on your set that comes from your own experience as a child.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, Well, how am I gonna say this without sounding absolutely tyrnoral like a tyrant. I like things to be done quickly, efficiently, and move on. I don't like to belabor situation. So a rehearsal day for me, every actor, no matter what age. If you're under the age of eighteen, your parent is on set, and I'm giving parents the notes as well as the kid, and I require you to have a script at all times. There are certain things that I just don't budge on. I require you to have your script. I require you to read the stage directions so that if I don't tell you to move to the left because it's in the stage directions, you should be doing it anyway because it's there unless I tell you differently. I'm also one to have fun after we get our work done, and if we're doing so well because people are on their game, will have fun during I don't rehearse a lot. I'll do one or two who takes for rehearsal and move on to the next one, no matter what stage of professionalism you're at, because I do believe that comedy is better fresh. I believe that if you belabor it, it becomes spoiled. People start overacting and it's dangerous. And you can tell when it comes to tape day. After three days of rehearsal, everybody's like, can they do this? They did it and run through. I said, yeah, that was the first day. It was hilarious, and now we've noted them eighteen times and it's not going to work anymore. Tape day is a little interesting. I tell my kids all the time. I'm like, I love you guys. We had Monday to Wednesday together. Just because I'm not talking to you like I did on rehearsal day doesn't mean that I don't love you. Have to change my brain into cameraman, set deck and all these modes. Now, so you guys huddle together. You've created your community. You guys can handle yourself. I know you can. And then I start dealing with all the adults who have their notes and studio and to make sure that that's good and that to find that balance between the two. I let them speak. But then one of the things that I remember when I was a kid, after you did a take, it took forever for the director to come over because he was taking so many notes from so many people. I have a wonderful dialogue coach that stands with me. I say, hey, any camera things, tell me. Tell the acting to the dialogue coach, so I can go over there and make sure that these kids.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Just because I'm taking a long time doesn't mean anything, because the longer it takes, the more notes you have. But if you're just left on set and you haven't been through as many shows as I have, you'd be like, oh my god, what happened? You're gonna start getting anxious. So I try to get over to the kids as much as possible, and then I like to get out early.
Speaker 3: Honeys.
Speaker 4: I like an hour lunch. I like to beat the clock. I do not like to be at their I don't like to be on set all day. I love working you guys, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: You know what else.
Speaker 4: I love going home. There's some people I feel like they belabor work because they don't want to go home.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're basically every studio's dream. I mean, I'm righting there thinking an excellent person. Sign me up?
Speaker 4: I really do you guys?
Speaker 1: Don't you want to go home? Yes?
Speaker 4: And I tell my guys that all the camera men, I'm like, listen, fellas, Yes, show me what shot I need. If it's better than mine, I'm taking it.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Let's go. We may want it's done well and right.
Speaker 4: Well and writing. I'm not always going to be right, and I'm definitely not always well in the brain. So help me out here.
Speaker 1: I mean, help me out.
Speaker 4: That's my life.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, she's holding the table.
Speaker 1: Spoke to some friends at ABC.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and they told me that I had to ask you about Cheetah girls for really what they say? They said, it's it's there's been talks, there's been rumors, there's been rumblings in the hallways.
Speaker 1: Really have any of those come to you?
Speaker 2: No? Really, Oh, it's coming, it's coming. Really, you don't have to tell me yes or no. Can you just tell me what city it's going to be in. We might be very excited, we.
Speaker 4: Might be we might not. There's so many things on the horizon with the Disney channel alone, Disney brand of television, that everything is up for grabs. And I think we're in a time period and a time period in our society in the resurgence of nostalgia that I think that would be a fantastic idea.
Speaker 5: I do too.
Speaker 4: What would it look like to you? Like, what would your dream Cheetah reunion look like?
Speaker 2: First of all, we're Cheetah girls, Cheetah sisters, So the sisterhood's really important to me. I feel like there was one Cheetah girl that nobody liked and so we need.
Speaker 1: To replace her. So there really is a sisterhood. Wow, no bad.
Speaker 4: Apples, No bad apples?
Speaker 2: Whoa? This is like if we're gonna have a set that's well and right. Yeah, we need everyone to be kind.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: And then I love seeing a new city through your eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so whichever city you guys choose, I'll be hyped for lovely.
Speaker 1: Here are my notes.
Speaker 4: Okay, here my notes them.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be real, like I want it to be honest about what's transpired between all.
Speaker 1: The two in real life or in like, no, just for the characters. Okay, cool?
Speaker 3: You know, Like I think us as millennials who grew up with these characters. We're gonna appreciate that because we've all been through some shit, yeah, between the last one and now, so i'd appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Honestly, We'll take you Cheetah fans who haven't grown up on them.
Speaker 3: They can, They could get larious. Did you keep any wardrobe items from the.
Speaker 4: Set from Cheetah? Yeah, no, I kept it. I kept a lot of stuff from that so raven though. Okay, the group of women that were raised on Cheetahs are so special and beautiful and colorful and excited. And the boys that were raised on Cheetahs, Honey, let me talk about a Cheetah boy.
Speaker 1: Cheetah brothers.
Speaker 4: The Cheetah brothers don't play around. The strutt is real. So yeah, we'll see what happens. I'll let you guys know. Hey, if it comes up, I'll come back.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Cool.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: I just think like after Spice Girls, we didn't have like Destiny's Child wasn't in that same arena. It was gave us something else. Cheetah Girls gave us like sisterhood to.
Speaker 1: Hold on to.
Speaker 4: So it was a special pop music. I mean, I was, like I always said, if there was a cheatera reunion. I need like a rapper cheetaha. I need a cheetah.
Speaker 1: Emcy, we need a left eye. Lisa cheat a left eye.
Speaker 3: Lisa cheatah, Lisa, Lisa cheatah.
Speaker 4: I'm down for a Lisa cheetah.
Speaker 1: So much fun to.
Speaker 3: Say, almost as fun as to be.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Girls five ever?
Speaker 4: Because no, but I heard it was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so much of that that reminds me of like, yes, that's quite affair.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 1: We actually have to talk about why you're here before you leave.
Speaker 4: I got really Oh my god, hilarious. I am here for a reason.
Speaker 1: Every day you're on your game show hosting era.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're hosting the all new game shows Scrabble for the CW. Here's the thing, Raven, you could sign on to so many things. I know you're very particular. Why did scrabble get you hype?
Speaker 4: Scrabble got me hype because I love games?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I love a game During Raven's home Yeah, to keep all of us busy, including me, I would bring games on set. We created games to keep filming interesting. I play boggle, I play Scrabble, I play sequence, I play poker, I play all of the card games, all the games I got asked to play Scrabble, and I never thought that I would ever host a game show. That was never even came through my brain for a while because the weakest link, before the weakest link, there was only one other female game show host, and barely call that a game show never really was in my peripheral. And then when I saw ke Key, I was like, oh yeah, game show still didn't hit me as if I should do one. And then the executive producer from twenty five Words or Less said he put my name in the hat for a host of Scrabble, and I was like, what would you do, sir, there's no I really think you can do it. I'm like, no, I can't, sir. I'm gonna I'm gonna fangirl out on you right now, start crying. You guys, I've really been in my crying era. And we're not going to talk about it, blabes. I don't like to show that side of me anyway.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, you didn't cry on this show.
Speaker 1: We're offended. We're offended.
Speaker 2: So much.
Speaker 4: But they told me about it, you guys. When I talk about research, I went down the rabbit hole of game shows. I refused to walk on that set and not know the Dick Clark specialties, the Steve Harvey specialties, the Bob Barker specialties, all the old school even like, oh my God, all the other ones that I used to watch. I wanted to make sure because rarely do you get a person of color, female to do service to a game show that part. And I also have been in the industry for thirty seven years, and I felt like it was the universe saying, hey, go get them, Tiger, you paid your dues, go get a game show like I want this to go forever and evil and evil. It was the best experience of my adult life. Wow, I got to do a whole season in a matter of a week. But to be able to stand up there and just like talk like I am with you guys, but then sometimes go and read my prompter, make sure I'm on point, Like get to interact with people and not have to say, oh, SMP is going to be mad at me here, you know what I mean? Like I don't have to be a kid, I can be myself. It's been an absolute pleasure and I feel lighter, Like you talk about earlier that my wife helped me put a smile on my face. This show has done the same thing for me when it comes to my face on screen, because honestly, honey, before this, I was like, I'm out, I'm not about to be acting. I'm not doing any of it is. So I'm going to direct and produce and if you pay me, I'll come on. But I was like, you don't even have to pay me to host this. But at the same like, I love this game. You can get it on the CW app the night after if you want, but watching it live, playing with friends and family, it's one of those game shows you yell at like family few you know what I mean. So it's it's an absolute pleasure. Yes, don't tell me it's over.
Speaker 3: Say we don't want you to be late for your next But you know what, Whoopie always says this on the view.
Speaker 5: You gotta come back.
Speaker 1: Will you come back?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm gonna come back for the book. I'm gonna come back. If there's a reunion and you guys have to come and meet my wife on our podcast, we would love to have you.
Speaker 1: Oh my dad, it'll be so cute. Would excited done it babes. You heard it, You heard it.
Speaker 5: It'ank you, thank you, and thank you.
Speaker 3: Raven Simone is an Emmy Award winning actor, singer, producer, director, and the host of Scrabble, which airs Thursdays on the CW.
Speaker 1: That's it for today's show.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, we're popping off with the co hosts of the Breaking Beauty podcast, Jill Dunn and Carlene Higgins.
Speaker 3: Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok Oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Boyce and at Danielle Robe.
Speaker 2: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: See you tomorrow, folks, Keep looking on the bright side.