Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. It's Sam here with a quick little show announcement, and that is that we have a Street Lab live show in New York City at our homeway from home, the Bellhouse, on March thirteenth. That is, I'm being told close to selling out, so get those tickets quick. We're going to have Joe Firestone and Patti Harrison and potentially on another person there as special guests. And then I'm doing an hour at Union Hall in New York City on March eighteenth, and I also hear tickets are low for that, so move quick. And then I'm doing my hour two more times in Los Angeles, California, on March twenty fourth and April first, And there's actually quite a few tickets available for those other intimate little shows. So I would love if you guys got tickets of those. That would make my life much less humiliating. So see you there. Enjoy the episode. Bye. Podcast starts now. What is up everyone around the globe? We are at the final George in La recording. We did it.
Speaker 2: We did it, folks, We did it, Joe, We did it Joe. Remember that, y'all, remember that, Remember we did it.
Speaker 1: Joe simpler times.
Speaker 2: Take me back, me back what a day, Take me back to just having like a knot in my stomach that told me that it wasn't going to be okay. But then at the surface, being like.
Speaker 1: Well what if it is where it's now, it's its surface all the way down to the knot. Yeah, now it sucks to be like damn, So we're just going to be sort of in a nightmare for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: It's sort of interesting how the Charlie Brat era reflects our political optimism then and also now what's happening with the Charlie movie explain, So Charlie Brat Summer coincided with like this like forced optimism about Kamala Harris. Yes, now Charlie is doing her movie which is like Brad Summer, but through a lens of even more sarcasm and irony, while we are all in the most cynical, scared, angry place we've ever been. Yeah, and it's I don't think it's intentional, And I also think people are people don't want to think back to the optimism of Brad Summer, so they're sort of like rejecting the film.
Speaker 1: So she's like getting ahead of it and being like that was weird. I hope she's getting ahead of it, but I worry about that. I'm film yet, Yeah, I'm either, but I hope that she can pull it off. If she can pull it off, it would be a generational accomplishment. I gotta say, I believe there's something about I mean, obviously, when she said Kamala is Brad, that was like the furthest she's gone into, like quote unquote cringe. But it was like but then she like immediately was like, what am I doing? I'm not going to maintain that.
Speaker 2: That was like a funny, stupid thing to say. And I really reject people, really reject people that like somehow believe that that was her being like pussy hat limits March. But yeah, like come on, everything she says is like through fifteen layers of irony then seven of which she doesn't even she's not even fully aware.
Speaker 1: I think she's gonna pull it off. But of course, this is amazing to batch episodes in a time when you know the news changes so quickly. I mean, at this rate, Charlie could be assassinated by the time this episode comes out.
Speaker 2: So let's hope not let's hope not, but of course we will prepare a separate intro for if she's assassinated, and it's going to be saved as intro Charlie Assassination Version MP.
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 1: We record over one hundred versions of our intro for if any public figure that we discussed is assassinated within the next month, just because we can't know because we're releasing this a month from or two, like a month and a half from.
Speaker 2: I just want to say if any of our last eight to ten episodes none of them coincide with the time period in which we're listening to them, so everyone just has to sort of be chill about it. If you think we're not commenting on any political events, that's why we don't know. They don't know about them.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say that it's actually sad that you guys won't hear the version of this intro in which Amanda Seafreed got assassinated, because yeah, we both cry. It's very emotional. I really felt it. I felt it so hard. I mean, obviously we were it was an acting extracise because we don't know what the future holds, but we both got to a place that was pretty real and grounded.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we accessed our feelings about her being snubbed for the OSCAR and said, okay, like that's how you're feeling now already on the verge of tears. Of course, of course, I mean after learning the teachers of teachings of Anne Lee, after I.
Speaker 1: Learned the teachings teachings, the teaches of an Lee, straight Shooter, teaches of Peaches, or a testament of Van Lee, I'm gonna have to go a testament of Anlein, go a testament of Anile. No, I'm so inspired by the Shaker movement. I have not had sex since I've seen a movie, and I plan on continuing that run or else God will not come through me.
Speaker 2: Something interesting about me is that I actually, no joke, have not had sex and seeing seeing that movie, and so, I mean a big part of it is that I am I have been away from my husband in a different city.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm allowed to if I want to. Oh honey, I have it. I chose it not to, and it's because of Annley. A gay guy saying he's away from his husband in a different city is not an excuse for not having you know what, it is.
Speaker 2: It's I wanted to say that just so people think I'm not in a sexist marriage, but not as a justification for not having sex. To be clear, it's my choice that I'm not having sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I think we had a really big realization. Did I forward you this?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, we talked about it how Ann Lee herself was actually fugly as hell.
Speaker 1: Everyone, if you're near a phone or a computer or a home tablet, google Ann Lee.
Speaker 2: What to Wikipedia Wikipedia for Annlee and look at the gorgeous illustration.
Speaker 1: The amazing sketch.
Speaker 2: Absolutely this like it's made by like the most cruel Coney Island sketch artist, caricature artist.
Speaker 1: You've heard of a five head when your forehead is too big, Well, honey, this is like a ten head. This is like, this is so gigantic. I've never seen anything like it. And it's you know, it's pretty easy to understand why she could forego sex in the film. It was like, oh, but she's married to the hot guy from Girls, Why wouldn't she want to blow him as he so insists he wants. And then now you see the the Wikipedia drawing and you say, oh, I get it. Yeah, you're saying, I don't think she would have dated Charlie from Girls. I don't think. I don't necessarily think. I don't even think she would have dated Ray from Girls. To be honest, honey, she wishes no. But of course the forehead.
Speaker 2: You know why it's so big so you can project the testament of Anily on it and do a big movie night with the gang after everyone is tired from a day of blue ballsing themselves for the Lord, for the Lord everyone. So what we're doing today is a good old fashioned call in episode we This is like one of my favorite batch of calls we've gotten.
Speaker 1: I think, Wow, I don't rank them. I love all batches of calls equally.
Speaker 2: Well, something happens without us planning it, which is that there's a certain identity that shines through with each batch, and I think this batch was much more queer woman oriented. There was a batch recently that was like gay guy, gay guy, gey guy, gay guy. This batch was much more like, we just got back from a big potlck dinner. We made an amazing white bean stew and my girlfriend, who I'm ethically non monogamous with, has a question for you guys, and we love the pod.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a lot of like representation and not in the like identity way, like in the way that like someone is speaking for someone else. Yes, someone represents someone else. I love that was my friend loves you, and he wonders, and it was sort of like, one, then why can't he pick up the damn phone and call himself?
Speaker 2: Well, I sort of like, I like kind of taking the culture of legal representation into the social into your social life and just be like, you know, we should be able to be like I have a dinner with an acquaintance I don't really want to see. I'm going to send my friend and then she can kind of be like yeah, So this is like mostly what George wanted to say, and I'll relay back anything you have.
Speaker 1: Georgie's loving The Testament of Anilee. He has has been ever since watching, and he still love diet Coke.
Speaker 2: It's something that The Testament of anilely didn't quite hit, was like, why the connection between celibacy and social justice because her dupe her two big views were social justice and celibacy. Yeah, who could forget she was the only white person in America against slavery.
Speaker 1: She really saw slaves happening, and she was like, I don't like this. I do not like this. She was so she was like what. She was like, hold on, I'm going to call somebody. But then she didn't really call it. No, she was like, I'm actually gonna go to the She sort of just like protested very briefly on the streets and then was like, it is time for us to set up camp.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: And she was nice in the Native Americans. That's true. She she she was awoke diva, but it is it is very she's very I think I said after we saw the movie, she's very tender queer where it's like very sex negative but very social justice forward.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a really interesting point. Yes, she's sex negative.
Speaker 1: She's like, no kink, get pride. Actually no kink at.
Speaker 2: All, no kink at all, and no sex at all, no sex at all. But everyone gets. But but this is I'm running my business like a co op, like I'm running everyone's a co owner. Yes, everyone is a co owner of the Social Justice Coffee Shop. And we do we have like a prayer a non denominational prayer room. As long as no one hooks up in there, you're fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I also just it was so funny how much it's like as a gay guy to hear a movie where they say the word mother that much. It was like, it's like sometimes it feels like they're baiting you into making a meme.
Speaker 2: I know, I and I well, this goes back to the to the Searchlight Pictures conversation. So much of the movie is begging to be memed, and only now are people catching up to that. We're recording January twenty eighth. I just want to you know, she's been snubbed for the Oscar. No one has seen this film yet. I think now it's getting some traction. But the fact that there was no meme about Mother, no meme about the dance that they do, no meme about you know, Charlie from Girls, no meme about the fact that she's like serving the entire time but playing someone who has you know, a horrible forehead.
Speaker 1: No, it's weird. It's weird.
Speaker 2: We've made memes about much less memorable things as all.
Speaker 1: I'm so maybe they were just too heavy handed with the memeability. Yeah, let you have a sense of discovery. That's right, that's true. They should, they could, They were too heated rivalry with it. They want a bit heated rivalry. That's what I'm saying about, ann Lee. Should we get into our call. Let's get we haven't a million amazing calls. I can kick us off.
Speaker 5: Hey, Sam and George? Do you who note here that I did have to pause Lady Gaga's guy.
Speaker 6: To leave this message?
Speaker 5: Guy question here, I'm going through my photos on my phone in an I cloud. I've got all these pictures of hot men I don't know, jig pics that I don't know for sure who they belonged to, and even friends and lovers that I'm no longer close with. What would you, glamorous gay guys do? Would you keep these photos or would you delete them? What should I do? I'm just curious. Also, I want to thank and give a big shout out to George for his stand up special. I watched it while I was sick with the flu, So thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Bye.
Speaker 2: You're saying you watched it when you were sick with the flu, not saying whether you enjoyed it or not, just saying thank you for providing something for me to look at.
Speaker 1: That is so classic.
Speaker 2: But you know, often something you can do is rent my special sense of urgency on Amazon or Apple if you have the fluor even if you're healthy.
Speaker 1: No matter what state of mind you're in, Rent, George, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is an interesting question, and I'm going to actually take a step back. What is your stance on saving other people's news?
Speaker 1: So this is interesting. The context was a bit unclear to me. Is he saying he's saving them from like Twitter, like they're not sent to him directly?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I'm pretty sure they're sent to him directly. And I think he has a spank bank folder where he puts them. He's he's acquired them consensually. I guess I say, go off. You say just keep them, keep I mean, as long as you're not like sharing them abroad, like I think, if you never know when you might need them.
Speaker 1: I think it's like sometimes it's fun when you're like thinking back on your life. Imagine it's the notebook and you're like, what's my life been? And then you can be like, actually, remember that guy's dick. That's very true.
Speaker 2: And actually I would even go to fars to say you should go through them and maybe even journal about them, like write notes about each one, see how you feel, and then do that again once a year and sort of track your own evolving tastes in Dicks and maybe something will bring up a memory and you'll remember who a.
Speaker 1: Specific person was. That would be nice. I mean, I have Dick pics that I treasure, Dick pics from like ten years ago, where I'm like, isn't it so weird that I can just look at this whenever I want. Yeah, and I like that. I'm not sharing it, but I'm saying that's nice to be able to access that. It makes me feel like in the same way when you hear a song from elementary school and you're like, no, whoa, I'm taken back. I'm back in the backseat of the car.
Speaker 2: Or even like looking at an old photo of yourself and seeing something you were wearing that is so of the times in terms of the style and styling. Even you know you can look back and say, oh, that's what I like. Then this was like my favorite one. This Dick was my favorite one. Now not doing much for me.
Speaker 1: It doesn't do anything for me, but it's nice to know that I can look at it. Next question, Okay, I think I have.
Speaker 3: This one Okay, Hey, Sam and George. I called before from going to Chicago to see George's first show. But I had something happen that is so stradio lab or it happened to my son that I had to call and.
Speaker 1: Ask this question.
Speaker 3: My son is twenty five, or one of my sons is twenty five, and he went to New York City to visit a former college roommate who lives in Manhattan a week after Christmas, and to thank him for hosting him. He set up a sushi restaurant, Almacasse Meal. So while they were there, an older man in his forties sent them some sake, and they thought that was really nice. And then my son's friend went to the bathroom towards the end of the meal, and the man came over to my son and was like, you know, introducing himself and saying hey. And then the man said to my son like, fuck it, let's go after this and do a bunch of cocaine or a bunch of coke and co oh okay, I no, thank you, but thank you for the sake. So when my son told me this, he was just kind of like, oh, New York wild and crazy, and I was like I'm pretty sure like I was hitting on you.
Speaker 8: Guys, so you two would be the experts in New York and gay guys.
Speaker 3: Was my son and his friend getting hit on?
Speaker 8: Thanks so much?
Speaker 9: Bye?
Speaker 2: Okay, so off the bat, I want to say a couple. First of all, I really enjoyed the scene setting in this call. Yeah, like I think there was it was not necessary to know that it was the week after Christmas that he was staying with a friend. In this was like a thank you dinner. But I really appreciated that we did know that because it actually painted a picture. And the thing that I most appreciated was that it was a two straight guy Omakase dinner, because there's actually nothing straighter in New York right now than Omakase. I think this even happened after you left. If you go on Rezi in New York right now, all you get is Omakazi in Union Square. They are multiplying like like an STD and it is crazy. There is just our Omakazi places opening left and right, and all of them inside are sort of like solitari foody types and or like office like coworkers. Interesting, and so it's a very it's very like twenty five year old in the city, straight guy in the city who wants to have a nice dinner.
Speaker 1: And don't get me wrong, I love it. To my cousin, I love it.
Speaker 2: But I like that that's the environment we are navigating here.
Speaker 1: So this could go either way. But what I think is very telling is that the time of day it was, which is dinner time. Yes, And I think your Solan was being hit on hard. I think so as well by a Kim Queen. No less, yes by Kim Queen. I like because in New York, like I have had an experience where like I've been at say a bar in Bushwick and it's like two am, and I'm waiting in line for the bathroom. Like this guy started talking to me once and he was like, you know, it was his birthday and he was like, just it's tough. You know, I'm really stressed out. I've got like a kid at home and I never even thought I'd be a dad, and like this is so like life is so hard, and like you know, marriage is already hard, and so much harder with a kid, and like this is so common. We're like waiting for finally it's our turn to go in and then he's like, by the way, do you want to go in with me and do cocaine? And I was like no, no, no, no. See, he was not hitting on me. He wanted a front. And this, on the other hand, because the guy is so sober and so with it and it's dinner time, he was trying to hit on him, I think so too.
Speaker 2: And I also just think, you know, listen, part of this curse of being a straight guy having amakazi with your boy is that you are two men having a date. And so it's gonna maybe if someone doesn't know about the cultural significance of a makazi that I just described, if someone is not familiar with the kind of semiotics of Union Square omakazi in New York City in twenty twenty five, because this was after Christmas, then they might misread it. And yeah, I think that is a really great learning experience for a young straight man to have. Is like, how do I act when someone thinks I'm gay? Because I think it's a sign of maturity to not resort to, oh no, dude, I would never I would never do that, I'm not gay, and to just sort of be like, oh, that's sweet, but I'm straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I also like, God, I remember being like so excited when like random old guys would hit on me, even if I was never going to sleep with them in a million years. Of course, I was like, this is so fun, Like this is such a natural relationship. Like old guy hits on me. I'm so much younger. I'm thirty years younger than him, forty years younger than him.
Speaker 2: And no, it's amazing. It's one of the best feelings in the world. And if you can if the you know, age gap, flirtation can be one of the most beautiful things, I mean in the entire universe. Yes, absolutely, as long as there is an unspoken agreement that no one that everyone is actually like in touch with the signs being sent. Yes, because even enjoy a flirtation with no desire to do anything after.
Speaker 1: Of course, even if you are literally attracted with the person.
Speaker 2: Like it has nothing to do with that. It just has to do with what's appropriate at any given time. And I think knowing that is one of the biggest parts of being.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know what, while we're at it, bosses should be able to hit on assistance. Okay, next question, Next question, you know before we go to the next question, something I realized, and we can keep this in. It's going to be really funny to have the video of this where we're both holding up our laptops to the microphone at every call. I think it'll be funny.
Speaker 4: Hi there, this is for George listening to that app with Coolio. I wanted to know has your life been affected outside of the A podcast, of course, but when Julio asked you or I don't even know if he asked or told you better without glasses or like why don't you not wear glasses? I just wanted to know if that's like completely I know your podcast personas you know, I appreciate that you are separate from who you.
Speaker 10: Are on this podcast, but did that like rattle you or impact your day to day being?
Speaker 4: I felt like stripped about myself and I've been constantly thinking, like, do what I need to get contacts? But I absolutely love my glasses, but I am like, I mean, they are just naturally an obstruction of my face. And not to make it all about me, I just but I did want to know.
Speaker 10: Like that felt so so and I wanted to know if you, like in your day to day kind of think of God, now, are you seeing yourself.
Speaker 4: Wear glasses last? Or do you just not give a fuck? Okay, anyways, let me too.
Speaker 8: Sam, and maybe just give me your thoughts as well.
Speaker 11: Bye.
Speaker 2: First of all, I just want to say I appreciate that this color recognizes that we play characters on the podcast much like Lady Gaga and Joe Calderon or Beyond San Sasha Fears, and it is all fully scripted. We have a lot of script meetings with the execs beforehand, and I think we've been doing a really good job of the storylines.
Speaker 1: We've never dropped character. It's been so amazing to see our characters grow and change. I also love.
Speaker 2: That Julio's criticism is so powerful that this listener who has never met Julio, I assume, is having a full on identity crisis about whether or not you should keep wearing glasses.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, I actually think it's more powerful to overhear a conversation that like somewhat pertains to you than how someone directly tell you.
Speaker 2: Well, undoubtedly, because it is completely unfiltered, like yeah, you hear someone, It's like something simple as some hearing someone being like I mean one of the most tragic things you can do is wear a green polo, which, for others not watching, is what I'm wearing now, and they're like, oh my god, what. No one would ever say that to my face. But that is just like suddenly you're like, oh, I'm naked. Yeah, suddenly it's like, oh, I have to change fast before anyone notices, you know, Whereas if you're already being seen wearing the green polo, you're sort of like, Oh, it's no big deal, the worst has happened, I'm wearing it.
Speaker 1: That is really tough.
Speaker 2: So to answer this question, you are correct to point out that it felt like a pretty real moment at the time. And I must say, in the spirit of earnestness, which is what these call in shows were originally designed to be, I was very taken aback by that interaction, and I felt like I when I was trying to sort of like lobby it back to Julu and be like, have you ever considered not dyeing your hair? He wasn't exactly engaging in the same way that I was engaging in a sort of comedic commentary about my persona.
Speaker 1: Would well, it's so complex that interaction is obviously so complex because yes, like Julio is being so direct, yeah, and somewhat toxically direct, but at the same time he thinks he's giving you like a compliment almost, and and he's like thrown off that you think it's not a good it's an insult. Yeah, and so he like doesn't even know how to like process what you're saying. It was like watching it, I was like, I'm watching like a fundamental disagreement that is, like the disagreement of worldview rather than like opinions. Yes, and so I was like, huh, this is so interesting.
Speaker 2: I know, it really felt like a rip in reality where I was like, oh, no, we are we have fundamentally different ways of viewing the world.
Speaker 1: I always think, like I somewhat wrongly am like we're all relatively the same, yeah, no matter our backgrounds, like, no matter, Like I'm sort of like, I'm like, well, we're all brought together through comedy and this especially comedy in New York City. We all know a similar worldview whatever. And then it's like, nope, not even close.
Speaker 2: I mean this is now not even about Julio, but to your point about comedy, there's something about comedy, stand up comedy, where you can come at it from completely different entry points. So you can come at it through wanting to be an actor and taking acting class and discovering this different route of performance. You can come at it because you want to be a writer and you feel like this is a way to get your writing out there. You can now, especially in this town, people come at it through clowning. Through clowning and sort of like you can come at it through like the art world and like being like essentially like doing performance art. So and I think that's not true of many, Like that's not true of painters or sculptors or honestly even playwrights. Like there is something specific it's it brings such a diverse group of people together. There anyway, has my interaction with Julio changed my view of my glasses.
Speaker 1: I'm certainly more open to not wearing glasses after that interaction, I will say, interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other reason I got so defensive about that is because specifically with these glasses, I've been wanting to replace them for a while and have like you know, when you are overwhelmed with choices and you don't know which one to pick and it's now been fully like years of being like, okay, it's time to change, time to change them, so to be for them to be pointed out as a flaw, I was like, oh, so everyone else sees this as well.
Speaker 1: That makes sense that that was a big part of that interaction. That makes sense. I will say glasses because they do become part of one's identity. It's a very difficult thing to switch up. I know. I even find with sunglasses, I'm like, I get like, I don't want to switch it up too much because I'm like, well, people won't know who I am because those are my sunglasses. But it's tough. It's tough. I'll play the next one.
Speaker 8: Okay, I Sam and George, I love a pod. The first one I want to say was a girl who dragged my whole family around the Las Vegas strip to see the meat dress and it was so worth it. Thanks for putting me on.
Speaker 12: So my question is as a lesbian.
Speaker 13: When I realized I was a lesbian.
Speaker 8: I figured I had no more use for men in my life in any.
Speaker 9: Sort of way.
Speaker 8: But I'm kind of in the market for a gay guy. BSF one do I really need one?
Speaker 14: And two?
Speaker 7: How do I get one?
Speaker 1: Thanks by Wow, what a powerful call. We talked sort of about the lesbian who goes to the gay guy trips and like sort of is like I need gay guys to like actually fucking lose my mind with. It's the lesbian.
Speaker 2: It's a specific kind of lesbian archetype, and I feel comfortable theorizing about it because I know multiple of these lesbians and it is it's sort of the equivalent of a lesbian being like I was on the wrong body, but only party wise, Like she's like I love women. I'm like, I'm not like a self hating lesbian, but I just simply have the stamina of a gay guy when it comes to drugs and alcohol and staying out late.
Speaker 1: It's so I've become friends with a lesbian of this ill Oh yes, I've met her, and she is so to die for. And it's such a nice respite because you get the like hard party, I'm being crazy, I'm being fun, and you get like lesbian like groundedness completely and I'm like, it's like every time I see her at a party, I'm like, thank God, I can like take a breath.
Speaker 2: It's incredible to see her at a party after having like fifteen interactions in a row that have felt like everyone is like looking you up and down and trying to like decide what they want from you. And then suddenly you're having a genuine interaction with someone that's like asking about your day. You're like, Oh, I didn't know that was an option.
Speaker 1: It's so nice. So I think you should get a gay guy BFF or even just find sort of a gay guy friend squad and hop into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hop into the friends squad and then hang out with them, and then find the one you like most, ask him to like a solo omakase even or you know, just like a solo drink at a gay bar.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think it could be really huge.
Speaker 2: And I also I really think friendships between lesbians and gay guys are so important. Of course, some of my most foundational and valuable friendships are with lesbians. And I think that there needs to be more reaching across the aisle, especially in an era where gay guys are getting more and more isolated in their own groups because it's easier than ever for them to meet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very insular. Yeah, it's nice to see you know what fundamental differences are true? Yeah, and which ones are not true and the.
Speaker 2: Give and take of like having an alternative perspective on relationships, on sex, on culture, on politics.
Speaker 1: You know, it makes a difference. Folks, reach across the aisle.
Speaker 9: Hey, gay guys, Lisaray from Seattle, I want to get George's official on the record comment on Athena Dion and her Greek representation this season on the group Pulse Rock Rites. Okay, love you guys, by So.
Speaker 1: My thoughts on Athena deon broadly speaking, because again this will come out in a month or longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just don't. I have no idea if she's already been eliminated. I have no idea if she's already won the whole season. And I got to say, I'm imagining an answer to the second one is no.
Speaker 1: But my thoughts on her are that I think.
Speaker 8: She is.
Speaker 2: Literally, in like a pageant type way, amazing representation of Greek people because she is clearly, you know, very sweet and professional and you know, wears her heart on her sleeve and is not evil, and so I'm like, wow, like she is this is in the most literal way good representation where you're like, wow, great people are nice, that's good. But I think my issue with her is if you're gonna be Athena Deon, if you're gonna be you know, Athena is the goddess of wisdom. There's so much imagery that has you know, there's a you know, there's the owl, there's the armor, there's a you know, a sort of a toga thing you could do. I'm like, if your thing is Greek goddess, really commit to Greek goddess, like have it be in the same way that if you were I don't know, let's say, if you were oh god, oh God, what's like another trope tied to an ethnicity that I am allowed to talk about, Like you know what I mean. Yeah, Like if you were French and you were Joan of Arc, sure go Joan of Arc. If you were you know, Mexican, and you are free to call it and that's your thing, do the eyebrow, go free to call it. Like you're clearly playing with your own ethnic background and doing this kind of like this this kind of Greek thing. So like, really go full toga, really go like big costume me Like that's sort of what I'm or if you want to go the opposite direction goes super elegant and draping toga.
Speaker 1: That'd be nice.
Speaker 2: And I'm sort of I'm like, you are halfway between Greek goddess and super professional host of the Big Drag Brunch. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which I know she's known for hosting, so that's maybe exactly where she wants to be. I think she needs to she needs to split. She's always splitting the difference between host and goddess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough and it's a tough but I mean, talk about a Demi god. Is that where you're a half human? Oh my god, she's very Demi goddess.
Speaker 2: She's a Demi goddess. I think that's the issue with her. She's a Demi goddess because she's half host, half goddess. And I think I know, yeah, I'm sorry to say, but I think she has to get more in touch with her goddess and leave the host identity behind because a host is not a winner of drag race.
Speaker 1: That is one of the toughest things. Is like, when you're in a career and you're like, well, to start, I need to be a host, I know, and then she's like, now she's ascending to literally the TV heavens. Yeah, and it's like, oh, you have to leave that part of you behind, but it's so hard because it's so trained.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I think that she seems really lovely. I love that her thing is being a Mikonos. I think the Mikonos girls have such a difficult task because they are dealing with the most annoying and rancid gay guys twenty four to seven. Like, I know where she I know the club where she hosts and Mikonos. It is so expensive and overpriced. It is like it is evil gay guys on vacation. Like to deal with those and maintain your cool and host a show, Like, my heart goes out to her.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: I also wonder if when you are a Greek queen, is it like in Greece hacked to be like I'm doing Athena, I'm doinging the Goddesses, I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: The thing is she's not performing for Greek people. She's doing she's basically the equivalent of like going to you know, like a revolutionary war re enactment and having people dress this revolutionary war soldiers.
Speaker 1: Like she is. She's performing Greek for non Greek it's cruise ship.
Speaker 2: It's cruise ship like it's like going to a Broadway themed drag show and someone whos dresses Alpha ba and so. Because otherwise she's based in La Florida, I think she's not like he's not like from Greece. But I but I really want to say that I support her and I it's a joy to have her on my television.
Speaker 1: And I'm excited to see what she does at All Stars. Okay, next question, who do you who?
Speaker 8: I'm a longtime listener, first time caller. My name is Mollie and I'm calling because my childhood bestie Ray. Shout out Ray, who is a huge fan, longtime Glimmer girl.
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 8: Actually we went to see Guys Live Together in Summerville. Loved it. She's getting lesbian married soon and we're having her bachelorette party.
Speaker 14: Coming up in like a week or so.
Speaker 8: I scoured all your episodes and I didn't see like bachelorette bachelor party as a straight topic. So if I missed it, I'm sorry, but to me, it feels so straight. However, at this batch, both brides will be going together and everyone there is basically a lesbian beside me and we're even but like we're also doing one of the straightest things one can even do, aka a PowerPoint party. And I say this as a consultant, but like our bachelorette parties still the straightest thing one can do. Have we gone full circle? Are they so straight in the past and now they're kind of camp and it's fun?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 8: What's the verse? It's here? I'm just curious for your guys' thoughts. Are if this was a topic that's come up and I missed them, I'm so sorry, But yes, going to a lesbian bachelora party in Miami. By the way, I'm doing a bunch of really traditional hetero in my opinion, gotch things. So just thinking about it.
Speaker 15: Okay, I love you all.
Speaker 8: Hope everything's going well.
Speaker 6: Bye.
Speaker 2: By the way, I just want to say, like, when I think of the STRAIGHTI Lab listener, it is a straight woman who works in consulting, who's friends with all lesbians and going to a lesbian bacherette party and then is over analyzing despite the fact that she's the only non lesbian, she's the one over analyzing.
Speaker 1: How heteronormative. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I could cry thinking about the fact that, like, she can get entertainment from us talking, like, can you imagine how difficult it is to find something she likes in the pop culture landscape?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those interests insane.
Speaker 2: It makes me so happy that, like, we have found the people that we are meant to be talking to, and it's.
Speaker 1: Her doing an amazing job. So we have never discussed bachelor or bachelorette parties, is that true?
Speaker 2: We have had an episode with Natalie Ryder Lateman about Penis Straws.
Speaker 1: Her topic was Penis Straws.
Speaker 2: I must admit it was years ago, and I don't remember how much we really got into the meat of the topic, but I imagine that since the topic was Penis Straws, bacherette parties were mentioned, of course, But no, we've never done an episode about bachelrette parties. Which it's funny. It's one of those things, much like I don't know various sports, like sports we haven't discussed that is so obviously straight that it seems a bit on the nose. But I would be down to have like a real town hall about the state of bachelorette parties.
Speaker 1: I find it so complicated because you know, sometimes I'm worried. I'm literally ann Lee where I'm like.
Speaker 2: You have a syndrome and you syndrome where the patient thinks that he's ann Lee.
Speaker 1: Where I'm literally like, well, don't celebrate that. Like I'm sort of like like I get like weirdly like superfluous celebrations and I'm like, well that is not like it's sort of my like want to suffer or I'm like that is nothing to celebrate until you've earned it.
Speaker 2: Well, we both have this in common. It's like how we it's like how we're uncomfortable with birthdays because we're like I haven't earned this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I'm like, uh, I'm really surprised when LGBTQ plus people do a bachelor or a bachelorette party. Yeah, because I'm like, like, in the straight narrative, it makes sense to me because you are like in theory, by default we're monogamous. This is like our last wild night as single people, and then we are like locked up my pathetic cock because in a cage. And this is not like for gay people. It's so like everything is a conversation, like we can be having new partners, you know, two years from now or ten years from now, we're just sort of like building our own relationship structure at all points. And I'm sort of like, so why keep this one traditional thing? I know, and I get partying that's fun, but I'm like, but I don't need a reason necessarily.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: It makes me think if there's a way to rebrand bachelor rett parties as like, I don't know, in the same way that you would rebrand like a funeral as a celebration of life or something like, if there's a way to rebrand it where it's not about chastity and it's not about your last chance to see boobs or your last chance to see a cock, like if it's just like friendship. Yes, And I think people do that with when people have joint bachelor parties, like a couple has joint bachelor party or or joint bachel rett party. I think that is a step towards that where it's like more of a celebration of community than a celebration of uh, you know, chastity.
Speaker 1: But that to me is the wedding. I know it's tough.
Speaker 2: I think that what happens is because of the wedding industrial complex, people try to fit in as much around the wedding as possible, whereas I actually think what we need more of is anniversary traditions. Yes, like it would be so fun if there was a specific five year anniversary party or a specific ten year anniversary thing, or even like one year after a thing where you get a bunch of friends together and get dinner. I'm trying to think, like, I just think there's a way to decouple all the wedding events, and that way you're also not spending so much money all in the span of like a couple of months. You're not asking everyone to do all these.
Speaker 1: Favors for you, because then by the time it's the wedding, everyone's like sick of your shit.
Speaker 2: No, well, this is my big thing with bachelor and bacherette parties, And of course this is not about anyone I know that has had them. And it's been a joy to attend everyone that I have attended, But I would feel so guilty asking people to do something for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like they also come from a time like like when people would like get married earlier, so it was like in theory, I think you're like even if they're like college, like you met your partner in college. Yeah, and it's like two years out of college. So then all your friends get together again and it's like you all kind of live in the same place still. I think there's like but when everyone's like fully spread out across the country, no one's in the same place. To travel twice in one year for a friend, I'm like, this is crazy to me.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny? Actually, am I a grum? No, You're not a grump. And this is what I'll say about it. I and I mean this. I mean this genuinely.
Speaker 1: I have never.
Speaker 2: Not I have never begrudgingly attended a bachel rep party, and personally speaking as a guest, I'm always like excited that I get to take a trip. However, if I were to do one, my guilt that someone is begrudgingly attending would be so great that I could not enjoy myself. It is much more self inflicted than like speaking from my own experience as an attendee, you know what I mean, Like, I don't I can't think or a bachelor party I've been to where I've been Like, I can't believe this bitch is making me do this, Like I have to take off of work usually it's actually like a nice break. But again, if I did it, I would be I would be legitimately constantly apologizing in a way that would annoy everyone. I'd be like and thank you. I know that everyone has a lot to do and think you so much for being here, and oh no, of course I'll just like put this bill like no need to pay, and then I would just make things awkward for everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm very like I'm just gonna go by myself, Like I'm going to go to the beach and like read a book and you guys have fun. Or combine it.
Speaker 2: For example, let's say you're already going to a gate like a Peetown trip and you have it every year. Let's say it's the year that you're getting married, do a big dinner and that's the bachelor dinner.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or let's say you know you are going to a music festival, make that the bachelor party. Like take something that's already celebratory and just like put a little sash on, have a nice time, because.
Speaker 1: That does make a difference. Yeah, with this col in particular, I do hope. I don't know how much lesbians like fetishi is straight culture. Yeah, because I do know how much gay guys do, and I like could think it's funny for gay guys to like, uh, you know, go golfing or something like something like really straight guy. I could see how that would be sort of erotically charged even yeah, fun But I don't know if that's what this lesbian is getting over. I don't know if that's what this lesbian is doing.
Speaker 2: But I do think lesbians fetishi is straight culture, not in fetishi is the wrong word.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's erotic for them.
Speaker 2: I think it is like funny in camp, like I could imagine I can imagine lesbians, I know, being like how funny would it be to literally have a penis straw at my bachelor red party? Sure, and to like have a sash that says bride and like pinterest font.
Speaker 1: And to answer the question.
Speaker 2: About whether bachel of red parties are still straight or if they're camp.
Speaker 1: They're still straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still like they're obviously camp viewed from a distance. But like I hate to say this, like when you see a group of you know, blonde women that are at a batch red party, they are evil, Like there's something in their eyes. They are out for blood.
Speaker 1: It's scary.
Speaker 2: It's scary, and it's honestly scarier than men at a bachelor party.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Like a group of lightly drunk women in a limo that are going from one event to another in Nashville, they will murder you. And it's very rare that women are more evil than men.
Speaker 1: They're never find your They are organized, by the way, because one of them, it's like Rebecca and she's the one with a spreadshoot and she's like, okay, so we did murder someone. Here's step one and she is like, just cut up the arms and legs. The ravine is on the way to the club, so we can just drop it in the water, just drop it off.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the limo drivers right there, but all of them are like, he's not gonna say anything, right, No. I think that it's really scary what happens. It's really scary what happens psychically, and it's also it makes you think what if women were able to channel that into like maybe assassinating a political figure.
Speaker 1: Well, we need more female assassins. I've always said it's true, Just don't assassinate Amanda Seafree.
Speaker 2: No stick to like evil guys. I don't kill Bill mode, although I have to say she was not a girl's girl. She assassinated all her female friends as well.
Speaker 1: Do you know she's an equal opportunity offender. That's right, kill Bill. Beatrice Kiddo was the first equal opportunity of bender.
Speaker 6: So what's going on with George's hair? Did he hair transplant or has he just been doing ball? Guys still in Valor for like all this time? We need to know nobody.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love this.
Speaker 2: I just want to say I did not get a hair transplant, but I have absolute no judgment to those who do. Some of my best friends legitimately have gotten them in the recent past.
Speaker 1: And actually someone I know and I won't.
Speaker 2: Say who went to Greece to get one recently, which I didn't even know it was discounted in Greece.
Speaker 1: I had heard of Turkey, but I never heard, of course a new Turkey. And I've even heard South Korea.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting. What about North Korea? I've also now heard through no, through someone else who I'm not gonna mention, there is a person in La that three people you know have gone to really yes, wow, two of them have been on this podcast. What yeah, I love that. I first of all, I love you being accused of this. I also think it does speak to the like normalizing of it.
Speaker 1: I think it used to be such a weird, crazy thing, and now it's like people, everyone I know is a hair transplant influencer. I love that it's normalized. Yeah, me too, It's cool.
Speaker 2: I think I worry sometimes about some of the results that I'm seeing. Really, there are some hairlines. I think people are getting a little too confident and being like, what if the hairline is like an inch from my eyebrow, it has to still look normal.
Speaker 1: Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to. That's correct.
Speaker 2: So I did not get a hair transplant, and I would, you know, I would assume that would be obvious based on the fact that it has happened gradually. It's sort of not all at once. But yeah, I just sort of. And by the way, I was never stealing bald valor because I was never bald.
Speaker 1: It was I had a busk. I was a buzz cut and you could see the hair on top. It was just buzzed. It is interesting. I think maybe you're underestimating, like the way it was short like the way it was buzzed. It did look like maybe it's like a balding thing, and you're just like getting ahead of it.
Speaker 2: I must say one thing, which is that already I look at photos of myself from the last eight years and I'm like, I can't believe I looked like that for eight years.
Speaker 1: I feel so much.
Speaker 2: I actually think I look so much better with long hair, and it it's crazy that, for whatever reason I decided for eight year it was it was like inertia. It was just kind of like, Okay, well, this is what I do. This is what I asked for. When I get a haircut. It seems like such a more deal to grow it out, and I'm like, why the fuck was I doing that? I mean, it looked good for the records, well, I think day to day I felt like I looked fine. But even now, I mean, I'm forced to constantly watch clips of myself because I'm promoting the special, and I'm like, that looks bad, Like I should have hair.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't seeing your hair now. It was an interesting choice. I knew you had hair, but I was like, but maybe, like I was like, because you would describe it like Oh, you know it's so difficult because it's thick. Yeah, and now I'm seeing it, I'm like, it's not that difficult. It's literally like it's normal hair.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think what it was is the last time I really had longer hair, I was younger and more insecure in general, and every little thing that was imperfect, I was like, oh, well I look bad, Like this looks bad.
Speaker 1: I need to fixure out the right haircut.
Speaker 2: And now I'm kind of like, I'm aware that it's sort of uneven and I I don't have product in it, and I don't I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no one is no one.
Speaker 2: Notices, I mean, and it's more affordable. By the way, I was getting haircuts every two weeks.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I know you weren't going cheap. I've had this happen before, where someone who like is ball presenting like suddenly just grows their hair out, and it does freak me out, Like I get why people are like, wait.
Speaker 2: What it's also I have to say, uh, it is, hair in general is something that like makes people excited, like I've never gotten Every single time I post anything, I get fifteen dms that are like okay.
Speaker 1: Hair, hair, Okay, hair, what's going on with your hair? Hair looks?
Speaker 2: Hair looks fab hair looks amazing, by the way, And I think the same thing would happen if I were to go the other way, right, if if you were to buzz your head, people be like, Okay, love the buzz.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: It's like, because you know what it is, I'm having this realization. It's one of the few appearance based things that is more neutral.
Speaker 1: We're still allowed to comment on.
Speaker 2: Literally, you can't talk about someone losing or gaining weight. You can't talk about someone getting plastic surgery, you can't talk about like. It really is one of the very very few things that is safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if only we could get taller and shorter, then we could.
Speaker 2: Talk about now well scream materialists.
Speaker 12: Wow, Okay, Okay, So I already sent another one, but I stuttered.
Speaker 15: And I hung up.
Speaker 8: But I don't know if you actually got it. And I'm scared, but I'm gonna ask the same question.
Speaker 12: So today, it's going to be in a lot of movies this year, and a lot of people are already predicting that there's going to be discourse asking why she's in every movie. Is there any conversation that's already happened in the past that you see making a comeback this year.
Speaker 1: Sorry, a lot of people, a lot of people are predicting there is gonna be this of course about Zenda being in too many movies is one of the most amazing gig Guy sentences I've heard in my life. It's like I'm monitoring the situation and the markets are saying that there is going to be discourse. I repeat, there's gonna be discourse about Zendia being in too many movies. It's also Trump, It's gig Guy Trump. It's a lot of people are saying there's gonna be a lot of particularly so amazing to confidently be like a lot of people. Just I want everyone to be prepared. A lot of people are saying.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be discourse about Zendia being into many movies. That aside, what discourse do you think is gonna make a comeback?
Speaker 1: I mean it's all dark sure, Like discourse is never fun. Yeah, I'm trying to give a playful discourse.
Speaker 2: Right well, I mean one of the big ones that's making a comeback is like, is racism good or bad?
Speaker 1: One of the big ones that's coming back is like not seeing enough people posting about this, oh church in a way where I'm like, I cannot believe we're doing that again. I know, like evening like like I saw a tweet. This is kind of informed by a tweet. But somebody was like shared like a Billie Eilish thing where she's like looking to my other celebrities, why aren't people posting? And somebody was like, it's such an American concept for people wanting celebrities specifically to like post, yeah, because it's like it obviously, this is like a very important time and we need to be making our voices heard. But there's more ways to make your voice heard than just posting to stories and and so it's like such a funny like they didn't post the stories, they don't care. Yeah, And it's like we went through this already and it was so clearly the wrong way of thinking completely, and I think we learned that I thought we did. And it's so back. It's so back.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: What's related to that is critiquing wearing a pin to an award show. Yeah, and I think being like, well a pin means nothing, or posting a you know, a block of tech or something means nothing. It's like, yes, it is a show of solidarity. It's like having a bumper sticker. Like, no one is arguing that a pin is going to make material change. Yeah, in fact, you're the dumb one for assuming that's what they thought they were doing.
Speaker 1: Like if a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Is wearing a ice outpin at sun Dance, that is just a small gesture they are doing to show that they care, and that's it. It is not worthy of critique. Well, it's sort of.
Speaker 1: Like both of the It's like the conversation around like corporate pride, which I do think has like very much died down. And part of that is obviously because corporations were like, Okay, we're gonna stop like fashion stems back, We're not doing pride anymore. And so now it's like this whole thing of like now I wonder if the discourse that will come back as being like we need corporations to support pride again, which is like it is one of those things where it's like both sides of that critique are stupid and I don't know what is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I in terms of discord is coming back. I also want to say I have done something really shocking recently, which is that I join Threads. I'm not posting on it or using it really, but what happens is, when you're scrolling on Instagram, you'll get a suggested one and curiosity will get me, and then I'll click on it, and then it'll take me to the threads homepage.
Speaker 1: Curiosity has almost gotten me, and.
Speaker 2: Then I'll scroll for maybe two minutes, and the things that are happening in threads are shocking. I don't know how to even express what I'm seeing. It is like a bacchanall of sort of it's like cancel culture drag. It's like no one's heart is in it, but every single hour they are canceling a new person.
Speaker 1: It is so weird.
Speaker 2: And of course, you know, it's kind of like fifty to fifty, like fifty percent of the time. I'm like, oh, sure, this person sucks fifty percent of the time. It's like completely random, but the tone is the same, and it's almost like people are ravenous for that kind of like gladiator like environment.
Speaker 1: Again, Yeah, it was like a brain exercise, like it was like fun to sort of examine why or why not someone should be canceled. It's like freelance lawyering completely. You're like, oh, I can like look at this thing they posted in twenty seventeen, but then look at what they didn't say this. Yeah, and it's like so confirmed case they are bad.
Speaker 2: There's also I don't know how people don't get that they're coming across even if they are in the right morally, the act of like making a three minute video explaining why someone is bad, you are engaging in the logics of social media that are ruining the world. Like you are. You are like occupying this like real housewife in a confessional tone that is quite simply not how anything will be solved. It's definitionally it's not how anything will be solved. Like you are succumbing to the kind of behavior that the algorithm wants you just to come to. You think you're being the good one. Yeah, and it like is enough to make me like there was people were coming for Whitney Cummings because she said something about miss Rachel.
Speaker 1: That sort of goes to show you where we are time wise right now. And to be fair, Whitney Comings is kind off the deep end.
Speaker 2: No, no, completely, but that's the thing is like, we know she's off the deep end. Okay, she has been off the deep end for years. It is concerning. Yeah, However, what happens is she'll say something and then people are like, oh, perfect, this is an amazing entryway for me to actually do my big monologue about how Whitney Comings is off the deep end. But then then you're doing your three minute monologue and you sound like a crazy person, yeah, because you sound like you're hearing voices.
Speaker 1: And then she shares it and is like, actually, that's not what I meant, and you're like, she's like bolstering her fan base. It's just all like you're all playing into the game completely.
Speaker 2: You can be the good one, but you have to recognize yours all the good one within a reality show that is produced by Lucifer.
Speaker 1: His name is Mark Zuckerberg. So that was amazing. But for the record, post post post everybody, For the record, post post posts. Please share our reels. Never stop posting. Repost our tour dates, yes, yes, comment, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, please like in comment engagement Yeah, let's wait. We need to get her engagement. Seriously, you guys.
Speaker 1: Comment. That's why George is going out his hair to get engagement up.
Speaker 11: George Patrick in Deluth, Minnesota, got a wedding related question.
Speaker 14: If you feel like you haven't that too much. My boyfriend and I.
Speaker 1: Have his voice, I have a.
Speaker 11: Boner recently and buy a house together. So most people assume, or a lot of people assume that wedding is next, or even a lot of people. We are already married and we're not in a huge hurry. But honestly, when I think about the idea of marriage, getting married, being married, one of the more exciting ideas is the possibility of, you know, incorporating some fasteful jewelry into our respective looks ie wedding band. So I was wondering how you two have navigated that in your respective mary lives, because obviously a wedding band traditionally a symbol of a woman being married, and it.
Speaker 14: Seems like.
Speaker 11: Traditional wedding bands are different for men and women, but for gay guys.
Speaker 1: Or is that the end of the call? Oh, I think that's the end of the call. Huh, Well, maybe he got cut off.
Speaker 2: But first of all, shout out to Duluth, Minnesota, and shout out to Minnesota in general.
Speaker 1: That's all same. Yeah, yeah, shout out to Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Of course maybe yeah, what about that? Okay, So basically, what is our relationship to our wedding bands? So I agree that it is like one of the more appealing parts of marriage.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's like one of the It's like, first of all, inherently hot. It implies that you're married.
Speaker 2: It implies that you're married. That's something people don't tell you about wedding bands.
Speaker 1: And when you are a man wearing one, it sort of implies you're straight. Yeah, so it's sort of like, who's the straight guy touching me? It's so.
Speaker 2: Like, I can't describe how much I love wearing a wedding band. It has like changed my entire swagger, especially like at the gym, taking it on and off and putting it in my locker. I know you're someone who lifts, but like I, I worry about scratching it.
Speaker 1: So I'll take it off.
Speaker 2: And then I'll put it back on in the locker room, and I'll see people being like, oh, what's going on there? I thought he was pretty queenie in the in the weight room.
Speaker 1: This whole time he's married to a woman.
Speaker 2: This whole time, he's ready to a woman. Her name is Amber and they live in Duluth, Minnesota.
Speaker 1: I love this. I just to have to go back. I love the gay guys live in Duluth.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, It's It's the biggest dream I can imagine.
Speaker 1: I have, Like my cousins and aunt and uncle live in a suburb of Minneapolis, and one of them went to college in Duluth. And I was always like Duluth and what's going on there? And I've of course never been, but I'm like to hear the gay guys live there. Yeah, I'm like, I need to go on a vacation there.
Speaker 2: We should go to Duluth. We need to do a mini tour of just different venues in Duluth.
Speaker 1: I absolutely need that. And the way that I want to draw this man, send us a photo of what you look like.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to address I went thin with my wedding band. You went thick, and I think each of them suits us, and there's no neither is better. I just think like you were meant to go thick and I was meant to go thin.
Speaker 1: Well, and to be fair, I mean you probably put more thought into it. I sort of like try it on like two and like, sure me too. Yeah, And I was like, I I almost, I mean, I don't think I would make a different decision if I thought about it more, But I wish I had thought about it more so I could say like I thought for weeks about what the right size is. No, I thought.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I almost I would say I regret my decision, but I'm the more time past, the more I'm like, maybe I should have gone thicker. My thing was like this is so gig guy insecurity. I was sort of like, if I go too thick, it'll be like I'm being no homo, It'll be like I meaning like I'm getting married, but I'm masculine. Yeah, and so I have to embrace my femininity and just like be comfortable going like almost like women's thickness. Yeah, but I do think there's some there is more gravitazed with a thicker band. I will say say it, I don't love non traditional wedding bands.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna do it, get a traditional tradition, you're gonna regret it. If you get a funky one, don't get a steampunk one. Don't get us, don't get like, don't I'm sorry. The thing that's tough about talking about this. Yeah, it's sort of the glasses conversation all over again. There's so many people that just do have these of course, and they're listening and they're like, what the fuck, and they're like, I'm committed to this for essentially my life, cletely.
Speaker 2: And also they're we're doing the thing where they're overhearing a conversation. Yeah, and they're like, oh, that means even more than someone telling me to my face.
Speaker 1: So I'm actually trying to be respectful. But at the same time, if you're starting new, first of all, whatever decision you made is right for you in your family exactly. But if you're starting new, I would say go traditional. I think you will not regret it up there in Duluth. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: That would be my That would be my suggestion if you are a gay guy with a really hot voice that lives in Duluth.
Speaker 1: Okay, put us on the close friends.
Speaker 11: Since I'm in George.
Speaker 7: I'm wondering what you think stand up can teach other art mediums and what can other art mediums teach stand up?
Speaker 2: Thanks by Okay, I actually have an answrop the top of my head for this. Something I really like about stand up is that there's no such thing as legitimate stand up and outsider art. Stand up, like any any stand up you see counts as stand up basically just as much. Yeah, Whereas if you are a painter, you sort of have to be like represented by a gallery and showing at at shows that are covered by the art press to be like, Okay, well that's the art world. And then there's outsider art, which is a different thing, and it's like maybe like more punk rock and more you know, you have to like really look to find it, and there's like a difference. And I think kind of same with theater, where there's like there's theater that's in major theaters, and then there's like, you know, someone doing like an underground thing at like an events space and their you know cousin does the lighting or whatever. There's something about stand up where even if you're at an open mic in a bar in Queens, that legitimately just is stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that there's like egalitarian ethos.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that the people that are successful don't suddenly make like a shit ton of money and there's like inequality and stuff, but like there is something I think also the lack of training goes into this, like there's no such thing as like.
Speaker 1: An MFA and stand up, Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 2: And so I think the kind of anything goes ethos I think could be useful in.
Speaker 1: Other art forms. I like that anything goes ethos. I like the but I think other mediums could learn is the sort of like work in progressness of stand up, where it's like any night you can be like and I'm going to try like these two things and see if there's anything there, like trying things in front of people. And I know you can't like paint in front of people, but I do think there's something so freeing about the immediate knowing if it's like expressing the way you thought it would in your mind. And that's my favorite part. And I wish that other mediums could experience that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I also think engaging with your audience in a more direct way is an exciting part of stand up that I don't know necessarily if I want every art forum to adopt, because I think it's kind of nice to have more timeless art that isn't like directly engaging with only the points of view of people present in one room. Yeah, in terms of things stand up can learn from other art forms.
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of the opposite for me, where it's like edit, edit, and even like presenting like a finished product. I really do with that myself, because it's always so working for everything is like, well I could switch this, and I could switch this and that. Who knows, in two years maybe I'll have something for that. And I really respect that other art forms go away. They're like I'm working on this idea for two years and then I'm putting it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now it's the big launch we're having, like the opening there's like little glasses of champagne. This is the body of work that I have been working on for the last like nine to eighteen months.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is like sort of ignoring almost audience reactions sometimes and being like it's more important that I'm expressing myself than that I'm getting a bigger audience, whereas like stand up, it's so not that. Yeah, no, I think that's true, and you can see it when people get addicted only to audience reactions, they like forget who they are.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I want to say something about stand up that I like is unless you're like, you know, taping a special or something. Usually you're not the only person on a lineup. Even if you are touring by yourself, you'll have an opener or or there'll be like in a comedy club, there'll be like a host and then an opener and then you and then of course in most stand up shows, if you're not like a big celeb, it's like a lineup that's anywhere between like four to seven people. And there is a communal element that I think, especially other writers don't have. Yeah, Like, it's so many other forms of art are very isolating because you're like by yourself creating. You have no feedback, you have no one backstage being like that bit was really good? What if you added that at the end. Yeah, so that's kind of nice.
Speaker 1: No, that is nice.
Speaker 16: Hey boys, it's Kevin from San Diego. First, I just want to say that you guys are looking especially hot recently. Congratulations.
Speaker 17: I was hoping that you would weigh in on a prompt I was disgusting with my boyfriend, which is how do we order forms of protest on the spectrum of straight to gay.
Speaker 7: We decided that signs on a highway overpass are straight donations to the ACL. You are a gay guy and rest as an act of resistance? Is NB demisexual?
Speaker 3: What was.
Speaker 1: Damn ist of their ass? Shout out?
Speaker 2: Interestingly, I actually think this hot voice is more George coded and the dluthe hot voice is more Stam coded.
Speaker 1: Well, of course this hot voice is funny because it's one of my favorite types of gay guy, which is like exasperated already and like I'm so tired of what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, it's also just like sorry, my brain is going on my limited because I'm so smart, and like I could explain further, but you probably wouldn't get it. But this is like kind of the basic level of what I'm saying, and like you know, obviously there's like a lot more.
Speaker 1: Going on up there.
Speaker 2: And the reason why I wasn't able to finish grad school because I thought too much. Okay, so I have this. I made a little list on my uber on the way here of different forms of protests and I want to read it and we can.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is what I have. This is in no particular order.
Speaker 2: Attending a rally or march, Community organizing domestic terrorism, radical self care, posting an infographic, donating to a nonprofit, donating to a GoFundMe, canvassing for a political candidate, reading a book, sharing a reading list, participating in a boycott, and finally presenting an academic paper at a conference called Subaltern Body of Subterranean Spaces. And so maybe we could Well that's a giant list. I know we can't really, I don't want to rank them, but maybe we go one by one and just do like straight gay, or by.
Speaker 1: One that jumped out to okay, yeah, let's go through.
Speaker 2: The attending a rally or march to me that's straight but not in a bad way, just like in a like sixties, you know, like we're protesting the Vietnam War.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're like your kid and it's like this is fun and the kid is like dressed up as I don't know, and it's very it's like family friendly. It's wholesome.
Speaker 2: It is it's also very much like it is our right as Americans to protest. It's like it's a patriotic duty to protest. It's a little it's a mini Fourth of July. Yes, okay, community organizing gay gay it's communal.
Speaker 1: It is like uh un non hierarchical. It's also like first we're gonna all get together and like serve soup, then we go to the party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, Okay, it's also so inclusive. Yes, okay, domestic terrorism. This is a tough one because I think on the one hand, you have like one battle after another, Leo being so kind of like toxic guy.
Speaker 1: But then I think domestic terrorism is straight. Yeah. I think so too, because gay people like it's they're like all talk. Gay people are like, I'm gonna blow that building up, and then it's like, okay, like when do you want want to do it? And they're like they're like, I have dinner. Yeah, They're like my my gym membership actually is like goes until the end of the year, So I don't want to do it until that's over. I get my money's work before I blow up the big data center. I actually, yeah, I think I are kind of willing to throw it all away in a different way.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I also think what we're saying is like morally neutral. But I also just simply think thinking about things in a warlike way is straight.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, radical self care Okay, obviously that's gay.
Speaker 1: Well, because gave me love this thing, which I love where they're like, well, I already came out of the closet, Like do you know how hard it was for me in high school? Completely? So now like when things are really hard, like the most radical thing you can do is like wash my face. Yes.
Speaker 2: And also on the other side of things, of course, there's also the stereotype of like I'm sorry, but a liberal white woman reading Audrey Lord and getting all the wrong drawing all the wrong conclusions from it and being like going to get a massage and then a pedicure and then a facial is basically like blowing up a data center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it can you know, it can be straight in that way. That's true.
Speaker 2: Posting an infographic this is tough. This is tough because it's everyone. This is I'm trying to think who I see do this more? I know in like the negative way, like who does it wrong?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who's not posting an infographic. Straight men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's mostly straight women and the LGBTQ plus straight men are posting infographics, but they're about like basketball stats. They're like, can you believe this is the first guy to ever have this many blah blah blah in the in the off season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, I think the infographic doesn't like fit with their eyes in the same way.
Speaker 2: There's something even though you would think an infographic, because it's data based and numbers based, is more masculine, because you know, of course men can only understand things when they're they're numbers. But I think what it is is that infographics are always a little misleading.
Speaker 1: They tell they tell a story.
Speaker 2: They tell a story, so it's much more storytelling than just bar chart. Yeah, so maybe it's straight woman.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's straight woman, all.
Speaker 2: Right, donating to a nonprofit versus I mean this is easy. Donating to a nonprofit is straight? Go fund me is gay?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes. Canvassing for a political candidate that is straighter, yea.
Speaker 2: I think that's straight in the way that attending a rally or march is straight. I think it's still like believes in the system, he believes this, which again good, you should canvas for a progressive candidate you believe in, but it is it is a respectable way to get involved. Yeah, reading a book and and versus sharing a reading list, those.
Speaker 1: Are sort of the two that were sharing a reading list to me, is actually straighter. I agree, it's du alipa completely and reading a book is exactly reading a book without posting about it. That's like, that's like tender queer. Yeah, you know, it's like I'm actually, I really it's not performative, and I really believe in this and I want to learn. I just want to be better. I just want to be better. I'm in grad school.
Speaker 2: I'm like doing my book club, and I've also the scary thing of I actually stilluzling on social media. Took it to heart, and I'm now going to do the homework. Yeah, okay, I'm almost done. Participating in a boycott.
Speaker 1: This is interesting. Yeah, it's tough. So at the time we're recording, there's uh, the boycott is supposed to be on Friday, Oh the general strike general strike, yes, yes, yes, which is different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess maybe we could add, like, yeah, maybe we could add participating in a strike. Boycott is interesting because it's like the implication is like put your money where your mouth is. Boycott to me reminds me of like, for example, gay guys canceling their Equinox subscriptions because the CEO is right wing. Also so it's you know, in a more meaningful way, it's people participating in bds. It is saying, like, I am making a choice that materially impacts a company that is on the wrong side of.
Speaker 1: Things boycotting at this point. The way that I mean part of the issue with our world is the way that it works is that like, all the corporations are so gigantic that literally getting like let's say, five thousand people to cancel their subscription does not affect them at all. They literally won't notice. And so it is confusing because before, like, a boycott is an amazing way. If you're like, this factory in town produces a thing that's bad, we're all gonna boycott it. Now, I'm like, so wait, we'd have to get like a million people to cancel this for them to notice at all. I know.
Speaker 2: It's funny. One of the elements of the concentration of wealth is that a boycott of a small business works much better than the boycott of like, oh, large proporation.
Speaker 1: So, like, let's say there's.
Speaker 2: A small coffee shop that is being accused of having bad labor practices, but it's owned by three people, and maybe one of them is evil, but like, ultimately they are doing their best that will be shut down by a boycott. Oh yeah, but then like Amazon will never be shut down by a boycott.
Speaker 1: It's obviously And I'm sorry to be like cynical, but it's like this is it's such a it's why things are so bad, Like it's so hard to make an impact. And I think it's good that people are trying, of course, but I'm sort of like, I don't do anything.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: The other thing is when people are like, I'm sorry when people are like we're boycotting on Friday if not the strike. If people when there was like we're doing a boycott, yeah day, I'm like, well, who's buying that much? Every day? Like I personally like every day is a boycott, Like I shop so little. I'm sort of like, I'm not like it's it's literally no material sacrifice for me to boycott on a given day. Yeah. I did have a moment.
Speaker 2: I was like during the Starbucks strike when people were like, boycott Starbucks during the during the strike, I was I was like, well, that's a simple enough thing, and I was like really taking it to heart. And then I was at the airport and there was like a giant line at Starbucks. I was like, did these people not read the news? But it also it was like I was just like right there in black and white. I was like nothing, I'm doing mad, Like this is yeah, there was another shop right next to Starbucks, Like you could have just gone to that one.
Speaker 1: We live in a damn bubble. It also is like I thought it was so funny. I mean, this was like what two months ago when this was yeah, yeah, and we were I think we were on tour.
Speaker 2: I was on like I was traveling for work, and I was like it was always a struggle, not to you know martyr myself, but it was always a struggle at every airport is the only thing they have a Starbucks to find like a non traditional coffee place.
Speaker 1: I thought it was so funny people that like live in La Yeah, like we're posting like their non Starbucks coffee. I mean, like that all it's not that easy, y'all. Like we got to get out there and not buy Starbucks. And I was like, you're living in a city and you're buying Starbucks, Like, I'm sorry, but Starbucks is for airport. Why did you buy that? Ever, I was like this is like, you're actually revealing something deeper and more insidious, which is you go to Starbucks when you live in your Starbucks drinking, reveal something evil and more sinister. What is the quote from nataman fall? Yeah, reveal something selfish? Selfish? Oh, I forget Oh exactly, we'll put the clip in here. No, I was.
Speaker 2: I had to really laugh at myself because as this was happening, I was like, well, this is impacting me more than anyone because I'm at airports. Like if I was at home, I would never be forced to make the choice.
Speaker 1: About George should have gotten extra points for boycotting harder.
Speaker 2: Extra Starbucks points. I'll send you my my user I d okay. And then last one sorry, last one is, of course, presenting an academic paper at a conference called Subaltern Body of Subterranean.
Speaker 1: Spaces, Hell's LGBTQ plus you guys, I'm pro the strike, by the way, I'm pro like all of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I sometimes worry that because we like to make fun of people similar to us, we come across as bubble. Yeah, we come across as somehow like rejecting that the consensu of the bubble. You will not find two gay guys more pro boycotting and striking than us. We are literally ready to start the revolution at any second. Just let us know, send the signal and we will be there.
Speaker 1: And I just let me know soon because I have to cancel my gym membership before the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I didn't want to cance the mine because it would have been performative. And so I actually am sort of stuck into I'm stuck in my current plan until the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Maybe you cut this too, but I'm like, but like with the strike, yes, I have to I have to confess something that I said that was completely insane. Please. But I was like, so we don't. So we're like it's like, don't buy anything and don't go to work. And I'm like, so a restaurants open, Like they're not doing anything wrong, right.
Speaker 2: It's well, you would hope that they would be closed because all the workers would be striking, Like if enough people. It's not that you're thinking about it as a consumer, you know what I mean. You're thinking like, well, that's because.
Speaker 1: I can't not go to work. I don't have a job to go to. And that's an interesting point that I have considered. But yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's like it's less like our restaurants open and more like if it succeeds, no one will go to work. Therefore the economy will be shut down. M So maybe get a little get a little ceramic pour over thing for your coffee.
Speaker 1: Because oh look, I make my own coffee. Now it's the food I'm worried about. I'm gonna start to.
Speaker 18: III. I was just thinking if you had ever considered what Lizzo's pass is for actresses, and I'm specifically thinking about Sydney Swing me versus Mikey Monroe kind of obvious there, and like what that would be? What is what is past for actresses?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well, Diva, we have some bad news.
Speaker 2: It's Mikey Madison not mikeel Monroe. So I think answer your own question there.
Speaker 1: I want to say this podcast, you know, on one hand, it's about straight culture. On the other hand, it's about New York West LA. On a third hand, even it's about not knowing actors and actress name. Yes, the fourth level is just about Lizzo's past.
Speaker 2: So we did every time we get a lot of Lizzo's Pass calls, we did get one about whether Kat's I uh is the fastest act ever to choose target and whether they were ever at Loso's Pass. We don't know enough about Catsie to comment on that, but we can comment on whether actresses have Lozo's pass. What is your take as the inventor of Lizzo's Past. I think I think they definitely do. But the thing with them is it's confusing because Sidney Sweeney, for example, like, I think it's so easy to be like she's target.
Speaker 1: She's targeted. She target because she's doing like every ad possible, Like she is doing ads for products I didn't even know existed. But then she'll also be in like the Weirdest Movie where it's like, yep, she plays a lesbian wrestlers and boxer. I think, if that's it boxer, I forget they're different and that no one on earth sees. And she was the Reality winner and Jamie Reality Winner, Like I'm sort of like Lizzer's pass is more complicated for them.
Speaker 2: Here's the complicated thing with actresses. It is actually much easier for your artistic output to be completely different than your pop culture celebrity output output as an actor than it is as a musician if you're a musician, if you're a Chapel Roone and you do a target ad, that really is going to affect your brand and how people perceive your music. Every prestige actress that has won an oscar also does a perfume. You know, a Landcombe campaign also does a Super Bowl commercial where she like reunites with some when she was in a teen movie with I just saw I didn't even know this, but I just saw that Kirson Dunston and Gabriel Union did an ad where they like reunited for bring It On. Oh, and it was like for Google or something like that does not affect either of their brands in any way. No, So I think Sidney Sweeney is someone who flew too close to the sun because she counted on that precedent. She was like, well, I can be a reality winner and be a lesbian boxer and also do nail polish and bath soap. But she like did one too many and it like fucked her up. I mean, she did so many it even affected her other brand endorsements. Yeah, but I was like, well, you can't love jeans that much because you also love shoes that much. Like, at some point you're like loving too many things, and I don't believe you. Yeah, it's actually very rare that someone's brand life is.
Speaker 1: Coordinated super well with their art.
Speaker 2: I think Gwyneth Paltrow is a really good example of someone who somehow has managed to have a coherent brand and maintain like like as an actor and as a public figure. But then, of course, the other thing with actors versus musicians is that you don't create your own material as an actor.
Speaker 1: Right, and you almost are lauded for being like I can't believe they were able to look like this exactly. Like if you actually look shitty in an ad and you're doing an ad for like Plato or something, and you look like a loser, then you're in like a prestige movie. People are almost more impressed because they're like, oh I thought they were a loser. Yeah, they actually are a lesbian boxer. There is just way more There was just much more flexibility. However, that said, that's why it's more shocking when someone manages to fuck it up so much that they choose target. I'm trying to think of a good example, like I have a kind of one. Okay, you know whose target is Kristin Bell and you know, I but it works for her. It works for her.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that's unintented. I don't think Kristin Bell wants to be a lesbian boxer.
Speaker 1: It's definitely the goal. But it's confusing because at first, like being Veronica Mars, yes, it was like, wow, this is like an interesting character, an interesting show. It's kind of niche, but it's also mainstream and it's like wow, how is this happening? And then so quickly it was like, oh, you want to literally be a target commercial at all times.
Speaker 2: You know who's like that is Mark Wahlberg, Like he started in Boogie Knights, like yeah, if he had gone a different direction, he could have been like I guess the comparison would be like a Leo because he wouldn't have been an indie darling. He would have still been like mainstream star but in Prestigio movies. And he decided, you know, because he's so crazy like that, he's gonna commit to being target and.
Speaker 1: And a pitchfork person who could have gone target and was like almost going to Target. Yeah, Nick Cage.
Speaker 2: Yes, he easily could have been Like I would even say he chose target and then went back to Lizo's past he now on Pitchfork.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think also Emma Stone did that. I think mimic Stone went full target with easy a and like all her early and crazy stupid lover you kidding me. Imagine her doing that now and then just walk right back and said never mind, I actually wanted to go this way. If he did a quick U turn. Yeah, Amanda sy freed from Ama Mia to a testament of Endily, I.
Speaker 1: Mean an amazing point. Yeah. I think it's just the the path Lizzo's pass for actors is not nearly as icy or treacherous, and you can actually just sort of walk back and forth.
Speaker 2: It's a different like part of the game. Yeah, Like it's a it's a different video game in in with musicians, it's like it really is Chapelone in full armor, like going hard to get through, and it's hard to get through, and there are like snakes, and there are there's trickster figures that can accidentally like give you a stink ball and then it blows up and suddenly you find yourself at target. Whereas you know, with actors, it's much more of like a seamless. It's very like paved streets. You're in like gentrified Williamsburg and you're kind of like holding your.
Speaker 1: Coffee and on your phone. You took her on and you're like, wait, fuck, this is not where I was going. Yeah, You're like I had to backtrack? Is gonna take me ten minutes?
Speaker 2: Okay, well all right whatever, Like it's fine, I'll just be And then you're texting, you're ghosting, like, sorry, I'm running fifteen minutes late.
Speaker 1: It's a long story. I'll like, you know, I get away. Sorry, I went the wrong wayanded, crazy, stupid love. Isn't that so random? I'm gonna tell you all about it. My feet are gonna hurt when I get there, So have a stool for me.
Speaker 19: Hi, George and Sam, hope you both are doing well the pod. George I was the tiff guy had to sketch feesh last week. If you remember me, the one person who had seen Testa Vanlei in the crowd, just want to echo that Testina Vanili was deep robbed. My question for you guys is, of all the film festivals, which are the gayest and which are the straightest? In your opinions, Okay, thank you, love you both.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 2: I think for simplicity's sake, let's do tiff Can Venice Sundown.
Speaker 1: Because obviously there's countless film festivals, all of which are beautiful, stunning, perfect. We would love to speak at them.
Speaker 2: I would adore to do a panel, to moderate a panel, and it's about Lizzo's past.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe about comedy.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, maybe I can do one about comedy. You can do one about Lozzo's past where it's Amanda seyfrid Emma Stone, Sydney Sweeney, Yah and Zendia and then they each talk about their journey.
Speaker 1: With Lozzo's past. God, that would be so amazing.
Speaker 2: So I would say, hey, what were you for you Sundance? Tiff Can Venice. Venice is gayest. Venice is gayest because of the boat.
Speaker 1: Because of the boat, and because it's like a place for like literally actresses to like wear a fun outfit, arrive on a boat and get photographed.
Speaker 2: And it's also can is you know, Can is the Beyonce and Venice is the slange like can. Yes, you take people do take fashion risks and look crazy and like it means it is a big thing to win the pump door and all this stuff, but Venice can be a little more unexpected.
Speaker 1: Well the way it's less prestigious. You know, it's still very prestigious, but it's like less than Can. It like is like Brooklyn. It's Brooklyn, Whereas I almost want to put Can straighter, like because it's the default. It's the default, and it's so like that got an eight minute standing ovation, which means it's eight minutes worth of good back out twelve minutes standing oovation. Like it's like statistically like what's coming out about it? Yeah, let's say Can is the straightest. Now.
Speaker 2: Tiff and Sentance are interesting. Both of them are the indie darlings. Both of them are like Zoeydachannel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is tough, this is Tiff, This is Tiff. I think so Sundance has an element which I know it's no longer going to be in Park City, yeah, but I think the fact that it was was pretty gay of it. Yeah, to take over like you're essentially going on a vacation and writing it off completely like you're being like, well, I it's actually not a vacation because the festival's here, but like you go there and like seeing your outfits like ski even though you're not skiing. Yeah, it's like it's all very like campy and tongue in cheek. It is.
Speaker 2: It's also very like Sundance is the film festival equivalent of a business that is made to look independent but is actually owned by Amazon, like it is. It's like Blank Street Coffee or something like it is it Everyone is like self consciously dressed a little more casual and pretending that they're like they just like stumbled into there with their hot tea. And then every background, every step and repeat has like Dropbox on it. Yeah, yeah, and so and I think there's something about Tiff that's a little more down to earth.
Speaker 1: Now Yeah, no, I think that's true. Sundance has like a it's neoliberal, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Okay, so does that mean Tiff is Gayer? I so it goes from straight to gate. Can Sundance Tiff Venice?
Speaker 1: I'm comfortable with that. I'm comfortable with that. Okay, Okay, this one, I must say that George wanted to play without comment, and I said, no, it requires a comment.
Speaker 14: And Sam aim in here and I call in as a literal subject of the discourse. I need to start with a confession. Sam. I believe I am the Takia solid bear from the episode Survivor. I was the guy standing right next to you at the good room who ordered that's the new beverage, and this is that bare backlash. However, George, I'm really calling because of a massive lapse in alignment I witnessed back in June. I was listening to the weightlifting episode of g M.
Speaker 8: Marco.
Speaker 14: On my way to a certain high end, you lift a scented Jim in Brooklyn. I had literally just reached the part when he explained that changing in the locker room with a towel around your waist is inherently straight behavior. As I proceeded into the locker room, go to my corner, and whom do I find at the very next locker George? And what is he doing? He is standing there, completely shrouded in a towel, actively engaged in the exact straight behavior he had just finished pathologizing in my ear. George, I was a listener trying to live my values and more move toward a more enlightened, power free existence. And there you were the architect of the discourse, clinging to your modesty like a suburban dat at a YMCA. My question is was this a one time performance of straightness or do we need to have a serious conversation about the integrity of our values. How can we as a community move forward when the call is coming from inside the locker room?
Speaker 1: You know this is George, Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is so interesting because you think that you are gotcha in me, but what you're actually doing is making these definitions so rigid, which goes against the entire ethos of the podcast, and saying like you said this, but you did this.
Speaker 1: That's hypocritical.
Speaker 2: I'll have you know that, depending on my mood, how like good I feel, you know, how horny I am, whatever, I am doing various different kinds of performances in the locker room. Sometimes I'm talel on, sometimes I'm tele off. Sometimes I even will walk towel off from a locker room from locker to shower. Sometimes I'll put my toil on for the walk. Sometimes I'll have two towels.
Speaker 1: George, just face it. You have been exposed as a hypocrite, and in these trying times it is so important that we live our values. I think this bear is very correctly coming for you. And I cannot believe you wrap a towel around you and then slide the underwear up the towel. I do not do that always. I sometimes do that depending on how crowded my little corner is, and if I don't want to like risk touching someone with my ass.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe it. This is just saying. And I actually think this is part a general a more general like it's more generally mamblematic of me being not one hundred percent at home in a gym setting is that I don't have specific habits, like I really go back and forth between being like completely free and being completely covered, and it's almost to tell. It's like he doesn't belong here because he doesn't know exactly what his like. It's the same way I would never shave in a gym because I'm like, what if I do it wrong? What if I suddenly it's not allowed.
Speaker 1: I love shaving at the gym, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, but you know what, I am taking your feedback, and I vow from now on to just sort of be cock out constantly at the gym, maybe even on the way lifting floor.
Speaker 1: Well that's what happened to Nicole byer.
Speaker 2: I, and I want to say I appreciate the poetic nature of this call.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it is attacking me, that was an amazing call. But I will say this, I think a big theme of this call list is George.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't want to say anything, but a lot of them are addressing me, and you.
Speaker 1: Are addressing you this time around. It's actually very interesting. The big challenge for next time is ask address Sam and I'm I'm just feeling so invisible in a way that is interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm sorry to tell you this, but we have more listeners in New York than LA and so they're more likely at this point to see me and think about me.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Also, of course your hair is going out. It's like maybe it's time for me to do a big uh. Yeah, how are you gonna keep up? I think I have to die my hair. You have to dye your hair and then put your towel all the way up to your booby. Yeah. Yeah, that's that's what I have to do.
Speaker 15: I this is a very periant question, but I feel like you two can speak to it intelligently.
Speaker 8: Do you think that.
Speaker 15: In a conversation with friends, women were saying that they pretty much tell each other when they're dating some dating a man.
Speaker 13: They tell the other person everything.
Speaker 15: About that gentleman.
Speaker 11: Cock.
Speaker 13: Is that I feel like there's a level of privacy among gay men Or am I wrong? Is like disclose up all.
Speaker 15: The details about your partner's dick purely straight?
Speaker 8: Or does it.
Speaker 13: Learn a line?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 13: Right, have a good one.
Speaker 2: Well, we were talking about this with them jeans, Oh, remind me what we said. He was saying, how we were talking about straight women versus straight men, and how straight women, ironically, even though straight men have the reputation of objectifying women, straight women ironically are more likely to talk about like specifics of their husband's dick, whereas a straight man would never be like, this is what my wife's private parts are like?
Speaker 1: Right right, right, right right.
Speaker 2: So that's sort of men versus women. But this one is interesting because it's straight the gay.
Speaker 1: I think I think there's something about gay men talking about other men's dicks where there almost is a little bit more empathy in every direction. And like, I think they will talk about it, but the stats they're sharing are different, Like it's more like how was sex? Like, I think it's very like sex was good sex, This was fun, this was the energy this yeah, this was weird, this blah blah blah. But like I think, like literally just being like dick was this long, this wide is like very not the culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well men versus women is much more warlike. It's like give me, It's like it's comparison based. It is like it's very like, Okay, this is the biggest dick I've ever seen and the spotlest dick I've ever seen. And I also think the specific question was about partners, and I do think what happens with gay men is I think I will much more freely discuss non partin men I hook up the same thing, and I would never I don't think i've I would never go into like super lurid details about like me and my partner. I mean maybe with like a close friend, but but it is that does seem weirdly way more private or sacred, Whereas I'm like, if.
Speaker 1: It's a hook cup, I'm like, well as cock was there, If it's like Misha, I'm like, only my most trusted friends who I really get into it with.
Speaker 2: So I think maybe that's the difference, is that if a straight couple is monogamous. That's the one dick she has to talk about, so she's gonna bring it up.
Speaker 1: The only time I really bring up size of someone's deck is if it's like notably large, whor it's just like I actually haven't seen one that big very often. Like then I'm sort of like, wow, that was, like, that's like seeing the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 20: Hi, Simon George. I'm Martin gla mcgirl from the Netherlands. I've always wondered that if your listeners are glamour girls, then your title should be Glamour Divas or something more stupid sounding anywhere. I don't know if you know this, but your podcast has a high listenability quality. I don't know if that's a word. And I often revisit old episodes. Which do you prefer episodes where the topic is discussed in length and you go along theorizing tangents and are often creating binaries, or the episodes where the topic brings up a different conversation and barely even touch.
Speaker 1: The question the guests topic. Love them both and love you too, XO, so love you another hot voice. I know something is going on, something's up. Maybe you're just rock hard yeah, maybe, Okay, this is an interesting question. Do we care. Do we prefer to talk about the topic a lot, or to just go fully off topic and be crazy. I think it really depends on if the guest actually cares about their topic, because there's something that's happening where our guests, if they like have never listened to the pod before we'll come on, they won't know what we're talking about. They're like, oh, I have to have a straight topic. What do you guys want to Oh, you know, I've always done it, And we're like either intimidated or or we just don't feel like arguing with them and they don't seem to care about the topics or just like sure that works, and then we like don't talk about it much because they don't care. And if they don't care, we don't care. Yeah uh, and we just don't want to like argue with them basically beforehand. And I like those episodes to an extent. But when a guest does care about the topic, I really do prefer it because their enthusiasm I think leads us and we get to then like really dive in and get deeper and deeper. Whereas it's so clear when the guest doesn't care about the topic, we try to go deeper. They're like, okay, moving on, yeah, and we're like no, the point is we like kind of dig in yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, to bring ourselves in to it a little bit, and not to only blame the guests, not that that's what you were doing, but guest blaming, you're guest blaming. I would say, well, I would say, first of all, definitively, I do prefer episodes where we go into theorizing like that is in my dream world, every episode would be mostly theorizing about a topic, and we would get to a point where, like when we have someone like theta On who's really smart, where we're like, we're really like to taking a topic like photography and theorizing about when when is photography gay? When photography straight? What is the evolution of it? We're doing this kind of comedic, idiotic philosophizing that I just think it's when we get in that role, I'm it really feels like we're in a flow state and it feels like so fun and it feels like improv and all this stuff. So yes, in an ideal world, that is what every episode would be like. But I think both of us are worried about forcing it. So if it's not going there organically, oftentimes we won't push it. And maybe if we're like twenty percent more pushy, we could get it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, this is the big internal debate to get a peek behind the curtain. Is we're wondering how pushy to be and that's how almost rude to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is like a legitimate, not even debate, because I think neither of us is. It's not like we're each one side and we're arguing, right, we are both undecided about how much we want to go combative interviewer mode as a bit and like alienate the guests for the sake of the audience having a better time, like perform for the audience rather than perform for the guests.
Speaker 1: And it's tough because we have done that in the past, but only with like close friends. Yeah, and so when it's not someone we know very well, it's always like, well, I'm not going to be mean to a random person I don't know. But then it's like should we like, uh, like it's an interesting thing. And also it's just like it's so easy for us to be mean to our friends. But both of us are like polite people, and it's very hard for us to be rude to someone one who we barely know.
Speaker 2: I know it makes me feel like a fraud sometimes because I'm just like, if if I was listening to someone else, be so different differential, sure is that the right word? I think, so deferential to a big guess that they're intimidated by, I'd be like, I'm turning.
Speaker 1: This off right, I'd be like, grow up.
Speaker 2: But it is difficult in the moment to like humiliate yourself and or take a risk, and you also do genuinely risk because the other person if that if a person is going on the Adam Friedlin Show, they sort of know that that's what they're in for because they've like maybe seen past clips. They know that he plays this character. Where I think for us, because we don't necessarily play that character, it would be like really jarring to have to have like, you know, uh, Jennifer Lopez on and suddenly be like screaming at her.
Speaker 1: I also, this is something I don't know if this is true, but tell me what you think. Where I think as gay guys were expected to stand I know in a different way, and I think it's a little bit unfair. And I think like our guests come on and being like, oh, two gay guys, they're going to love me, and it's like, oh, we kind of want to like be able to pretend to be mean to you, and you're okay with it, but they're just so used to like like everyone's just like, well it's gay guys on a microphone. They're going to be actually too nice to me. And we're like and we're like what we do is like worse where we're like we don't want to be too nice, nor do we want to be rude, so we're just like normal down the middle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's exactly it. It's like I think being down the middle is the worst thing you can do. I would rather just be like, okay, I'm going to bunk my head and just be stand mode. Yeah, and then it can be like fun in a sort of like you know Evan ross Katz interviewing the heated rivalry guy's way, yeah totally, or you know, or you go Adam Friedlin mode, but like yeah, and so I think that's why oftentimes we will not want to have bigger slubs on Yeah.
Speaker 1: But don't worry. We're gonna have Amanda syfreed on and we are going to tell her that her forehead is too fucking small to play that character and that she was stealing roles from four Hedges women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta say not to bring up my experience at the Golden Globes yet again, but this was something that was very apparent there where it's like we would write questions that are clearly meant in jest and then celebrities like wouldn't know how to deal with them, so then you just get like an awkward interaction. I mean where like we asked Claire Danes, like, you know, you're really smart? Is it hard for you to be the smartest person in the room at these events, which is like such a layup, and she's just like, very sweetly like, Oh, I wouldn't say that's what makes it hard. I think it's just more it's just stressful for there's.
Speaker 1: So many smart creative people in the field, and no, I think I really underestimate pr training. Yeah, because like there have been some interviews where I'm like, oh, we're gonna ask them like a somewhat biting question and they're gonna like get it and run with us, and it's like, no, the pr training is like in the bones sometimes, you know what.
Speaker 2: Else to be more empathetic to those celebrities, they are forced to do so much stupid bullshit now as part of their press tours, of course, like they have to eat hot wings, they have to like, you know, go on some like random TikTok show where someone like forces them to you know, walk on one leg while like you know, touching their head or something like they have to do a lie detector test. They have to be constantly reminded of their movies they made when they were seventeen, and it's like, unless we're doing something super different, all we're doing is adding to that cacophony.
Speaker 1: Don't say that we're not doing that. We're not adding to that. I want to say that. It's like, this is why, like Jennifer Lawrence gets to be such a because it's like when you find someone who is both good at acting, which is a lot of actors, but then also has like a fun personality and can do hot wings and actually be charming, can do a podcast where people are weird and actually kind of get the bit. You're like, oh, well, you are God now literally, and we haven't really found one since then. We literally haven't. I mean, I think Ivy Woke is obviously going to be that, but she's doing it the opposite way, where she's crushing the comedy podcast circuit and then we'll win an oscar by the time she is twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Which is in fifteen years. In fifteen years. Yeah, it's complicated, but I sort of like that. The show is always a work in progress.
Speaker 1: Oh honey, we're growing, we're changing.
Speaker 2: And I'm much more into the idea of being looser and sort of like playing it fast and loose with segments and with topics and.
Speaker 1: Doing special episodes and things like that. Yeah, I like that. This is our ending call. Actually me too, it's reflective. Yeah, well, you know, we no longer call these shows earnestness bonanzas, buta this ending was, Well, it's because we've we're just more real. We're more real, I know than we once more. I know it's true, we've dropped the act. We should have a year when we're bad. I know I'm ready to be bad. To be honest, I'm ready to be bad. We need to be bad.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny even with our friends now, we used to be more mean to them. I think the older we get, the more I'm like, well, it seems cool to ask someone to come on a podcast and then be mean to them.
Speaker 1: I mean we were mina Jewelers. Oh yeah, that was really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should just have Joe Firestone on once a month and just verbally abuse her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then maybe we need to have Yeah, get ready, we're going back to our roots. It's time to you mean. Okay.
Speaker 2: I love that and earnestly thank you everyone for calling these work, and we did. We got to a small fraction of the not to rag, but there are a lot of other ones that I thought were really great, some very thoughtful calls. This time around, I think our audience is growing with us in a very sweet way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, next time, if you want to be asked me about anything that's going on in my life, you know I wouldn't be opposed. I do have a rich in her life. If you care about those sorts of topics. Would you like questions about you know, hair, body face, you know, dreams, wants, wishes, et cetera. Yeah, favorite color, favorite food, vacation, destinations in the coming year top bottom verse, just questions such as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you guys could just write in and maybe ask Sam if he's top bottom or verse, he would really appreciate that. It's something he's always wanted to answer on air.
Speaker 1: Because I, you know, I'm currently giving sidekick and that's a bit tough.
Speaker 2: I do not think you're currently giving side giving. Oh my god, Andy Richter asked, I cannot believe this.
Speaker 1: No JK. I don't actually feel that way. Just trying practicing being bad.
Speaker 2: Well that's all we have to say. And I just want to say that it's time to change things politically now.
Speaker 1: Literally, you guys strike and boycott wherever you can. I will not be going to a restaurant on Friday, even though I don't know if it's allowed. I'm never eating again.
Speaker 2: That's called a hunger literally hunger strike until the entire system is dismantled.
Speaker 1: I have been on a hunger strike recently, but only because all my meals have been so small. I keep being like, whatever happened to portions calling dieting a hunger strike.
Speaker 2: I'm actually you're just dieting because you're like going to the Oscars, and you're like, I'm on a hunger strike.
Speaker 1: I feel like every every meal I have, I'm like, this is gonna be the big one? Is this big?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm starving.
Speaker 2: I want to say, it is so stressful when you go out to dinner with a friend and you know they're not a big eater and they refuse to order enough food. I went out to dinner with a friend recently. Actually I'm gonna I want not to say dinner with my friend in April. She initially suggested getting one appetizer and one entree to share. I had to step in. I had to say, April, I know you are a skin delicious diva who of course has a healthy relationship with food, but just like doesn't need more.
Speaker 1: Than that I do. And I actually put my foot down and I said, ordering another entree and then we got dessert. Well, Misha and I went out for birthday dinner with my brother and his girlfriend, and you better believe we ordered over one hundred things. Turns out they're all this big.
Speaker 2: Oh well yeah, I mean the top us, the topacification of everything needs to end.
Speaker 1: We order a steak, they say, how big it's going to be? An ounces, and then I get the thing and I say, bring out the scale. Yeah, because this is not that big.
Speaker 2: When they do ounces, but it's bone in you're saying, oh, so, I'm sorry, two thirds of this was bone.
Speaker 1: I'm paying for the bone. So I'm paying for the bone. Just just to be clear, I'm paying for the bone. Unbelievable, tip, but not for the bone. You can bone fee do the math, and you tip only for the barth that isn't bone, I mean the bone that was insane. Tip your servers. I'm gonna domestic terrorist thou restaurant. Oh my god, you should, and I will.
Speaker 2: As we said, it's easier to take down small businesses than big ones, and so let's start there and then you know, maybe in a few years we'll get to Amazon after there are no small business is left.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I could talk forever, but we unfortunately, I have to pee so bad.
Speaker 2: And I have to go to the gym fully naked. Goodbyebye podcast and now.
Speaker 1: For our visual learners. You can watch full video episodes on our YouTube channel and subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month at patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by me George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Jennet Cagel, co produced by Becca Ramos, edited by Laurence Thump, and mixed and mastured by Doug Bain. Artwork by Michael Philes and Matt Grubb. Theme music by Ben Kling