Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks. What's up everybody, Happy New Year, Welcome to move the sticks. Buck. How are you doing, my friend.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm good, DJ I am happy and excited, grateful for a terrific twenty twenty four, but looking forward to everything that is on the horizon in twenty twenty five, particularly all the great stuff that we have been blessed to do. Just so, I just want to be able to say gratitude and look, we've been doing this for a long time and at a time when the industry is topsy turvy. Look, man, I'm blessed and fortunate to have such a great partner in you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very thankful for you as well. And it's cool. One of the things we both get to travel around in all these different NFL stadiums every week, and I'm sure you've experienced the same thing I have, which is you run into people all the time. Hey, Neil love the podcast. We'll listen to podcast. We're listening forever. They'll reference something from a rookie draft, they'll reference something from one of the conversations that we've had. So it's cool when you know that people inside the industry or.
Speaker 3: I think that's the coolest thing in DJ.
Speaker 2: I would say the coolest thing is like some of the young guys that adjusting to the industry, like talking about Man, I've been listening to your podcasts forever and all of that stuff, and so it just kind of reminds me that this is not only where we express opinions, but it's an opportunity to kind of pay it forward and give back to kind of teach some of the things that we've been taught along the way, and kind of give it back to another generation of evaluators.
Speaker 1: No doubt. A couple of things I want to hit on in this episode. Buck. We did some college football stuff yesterday. Well again, be getting to a lot more draft stuff as we go forward, especially once we finish up the regular season, we'll kind of turn the page a little bit, you know, not only folksing on the playoffs, but also getting a lot more draft discussion in there. But I was looking at the playoffs as we stand right now, and these last few spots will be determined going forward, but I wanted to just talk to you about the different quarterbacks that we could be looking at in the postseason and the stories there are fascinating. Let's start first of all on the NFC side of things here. So when you look at the NFC as we sit right now, we've got the big one five game between Minnesota and Detroit that'll determine who goes there. We've got Tampa Bay, We've got the Rams, We've got the Commanders, we've got the Packers, we've got the Eagles. So the field is is pretty much set there in the NFC. Just some seating to be handled there, particularly with what happens in that one five game there with Detroit and Minnesota. Huge huge implications there. But I'm looking at it going Detroit. Jared Goff second team, Baker Mayfield is on, He's been on multiple teams there with the Bucks. Sam Darnold not on his original team, Matthew Stafford not on his original team. Then you have, Okay, you've got Philadelphia with a quarterback that they took outside of the first round. You've got Green Bay who took a quarterback when they already had a quarterback in Jordan Love. And then you've got maybe the one that's different than everybody else. It's Jayden and Daniels with the high picked the second overall pick as a rookie. So really there's only I would say, one traditional half quarterback, and that's what Jayden Daniels. The rest of them have come later or have have come after they've been on another team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what's interesting and that And this goes all the way back to being in Green Bay with Ron Wolf and he used to talk about this with Al Davis and it wasn't just related to quarterbacks, but it was related to all players. And the late Al Davis used to always put a premium on pedigree. Where someone was drafted mattered, and it didn't matter if it flopped in their previous destination. But what mattered that the league thought highly enough to pretty much give a person the first round grade, because you know this DJ is is rare that someone is taken in the first round where the majority of the league doesn't have first round grades on them. There may be some prizes, but they're not these wide ranges. And so for Al Davis to talk about if someone the league viewed this person as this type talent, you at least want to bring him into the building and kick the tires on him.
Speaker 3: New environment, new.
Speaker 2: Scheme, different voices may bring about the talent that led everyone to view him as that player. And I think with quarterbacks it's very true. You just don't know how someone will fit into another scheme, and so you want to kick the tires and see, maybe he performs better and our scheme did it then in his previous scheme, Maybe it's the right coach whispering this week. Nothing's into his ear that allows him to unlock that talent with a Baker Mayfield, with the Sam Donald, with a Jerry Goff. Even we have seen in new environments the player that many of us so in college has finally been realized, and so it's.
Speaker 3: A lesson that.
Speaker 2: Look, just because it doesn't work in one place doesn't mean that we throw him out. Maybe he just needs a different destination with a different play call that to help him be the player that we envision when he was in the draft process.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think that's what a lot of teams are going to be trying to find in this upcoming offseason. We'll spend more time on that as we get into the spring. That's the quarterback side of a head coaching wise. In the NFC five offense guys two defensive guys. And I say that while also, you know, Dan Campbell's technically an offensive guy, but he doesn't call the plays and he's you know, designates that that beneath him. So but as you look at it, five offensive two defensive guys, well.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, there's gonna be a lot made of that. And with the play caller.
Speaker 2: And we've had the conversation here and a little bit of debate about like you have the consistency in the play caller when the head coach is the offensive play caller, So the quarterback has the luxury of knowing that he is going to be in the same system for as long as the head coach is there. If you have a defensive guy, the coordinators may change and that could impact the quarterback because of changing system, changing play caller and those things. I think it's important that if you do have an offensive minded head coach, that the defensive coordinator is able to kind of act as the head coach of the defense. Now that sounds crazy because it sounds like a captain obvious statement, but I want everyone to understand and the inner workings of when you're the offensive play caller and the head coach you spend the majority of your time in the offensive room. You may not install the players. The coordinator organizes that and does that, but you spend a lot of your time and attention getting the offense ready. That defensive coordinator has to have a level of independence that he doesn't need to lean on the head coach as much to control that side of the team. And if you have a mature defensive coordinator that does it. He acts as the head coaches that squad. He'll run some things by the head coach, but he really has a lot of autonomy to kind of handle that group as it is. And so when you're the offensive coordinator, the most important hire is the defensive coordinator. And that's why you will see young offensive minded head coaches having older established defensive coordinator because you would like to be able to hand them the defensive thing and go with it.
Speaker 3: And so it's interesting to see that.
Speaker 2: And I'm saying this even though I guess koc is young, but I just think the second time around, when he got Brian.
Speaker 1: Flores, Yeah, I think we've seen.
Speaker 2: Kevin o'connall go to another level because I don't think he has to worry as much about what the defense is doing because he has a former head coach and a really brilliant off defensive mind handling this out of the bait.
Speaker 1: And they have history with each other, you know, going back to New England.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they see ball the same Well.
Speaker 1: They kind of were trained the same way, so and I think that, yeah, that's a whole other discussion. I'm fascinated once we get to talking about coaching openings, Flores will be a fascinating case study to dig into. You know, how he's he's grown and learned in different environments he's been in, and maybe he'll have a better shot at it the second time around. I want to do the same exercise for the AFC, and let's start first of all, the quarterbacks. So if we're looking at the maybe the only traditional route in the NFC being Jaden Daniels, six of the seven as we stand right now, and that's the last spot is still to be determined, which I think, well, it's gonna be fine because it's three teams. You've got Denver, You've got Miami, and you've got Cincinnati. All three of those are first round quarterbacks. The other teams outside Russell Wilson's the only non original first round pick of the playoff teams in the AFC. Think about how Stroud high pick first round Mahomes, Herbert, Josh Allen, boneckx, Lamar Jackson and Lamar Jackson being in the bottom of the first round. But all those guys first round picks homegrown guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, homegrown guys And what would be interesting And we won't do this now, but we can look at it when the playoff field is set. Dj when we rank all of the quarterbacks, the AFC would be represented near the top of the charts in terms of talent pedigree in those things. So the NFC has been able to do it with recycle guys, but the AFC, you better have a heavy hitter. And some of that is just the nature of the conference. Knowing that we always talk about you got to build your team to not only win your division, but to deal with the teams that are in your conference.
Speaker 3: And quarterback play is critical.
Speaker 2: In every quarterback that we talk about there, they have the ability to take over the game in a variety of ways, whether it's Joe Burrow playing the past first point guard, the ultimate distributor with its Pat Mahomes and his creativity, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen doing it as dual threats. They all have the ability to put the cape on and to jump into their superhero versions of themselves. It just goes to show you that, man, it's coaching and quarterback. We can talk about a lot of different things. But and Brian dave Ball said this, and the funny he said it with Drew Locke. You have good quarterback play, you have a chance. And that is evident when we get into the postseason. You have to have great quarterback play to hoist the trophy. And these teams in the AFC man about as good as it gets when it comes to quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My analogy is it's like going to a car lot and then the NFC.
Speaker 3: They go hey.
Speaker 1: The guy goes, hey, show you these used cars over here. We got it. I still used car a lot over here. These AFC teams like, whoa, look at these shiny new cars. Get zero miles, no miles on that thing. That's a high sticker. But we'll take it. They'll take the new car.
Speaker 3: I like the new car smell. I like the new car smell. Yeah no, no, no, no, no, no one.
Speaker 2: I like my dometer uh, under trouble digits, I don't fresh off the lines.
Speaker 3: We will, we don't.
Speaker 2: We don't want to have to deal with it. I know exactly what I'm getting. It's fascinating. And when we get to the Super Bowl and we finally see the last two teams standing, and we talked about the quarterbacks and we talked about how they get here, and you know, we talked about trucks and trailers and that stuff.
Speaker 3: Will the quarterbacks that are trucks get to the.
Speaker 2: Final dance and where we have a trailer representing one of them?
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's yeah, that's a that's a great point, you know, And they're two different ways to roster built there. Let's let's look at the coaches here. This is the fascinating. So we talked about five to two right offense to defense in the NFC. Let's flip it over to the AFC Tom one defense, uh, Demico Ryan's defense, Uh Andy Reid's offense. So that's two to one. Hardball is offense but doesn't call the plays. But so let's sew three to one Baltimore. I'll go John Harball with special teams that also had a little but also had a little defensive experience, so I'll give that to the defensive sides. That's for Sean Payton offense. But then you've got McDermott defense, So there's more defensive head coaches in that side with married up with all the premier quarterbacks. So it's fascinating, man.
Speaker 2: Okay, So maybe the trick is, if I'm gonna have a defensive side of the ball, I gotta invest more on offense with the quarterback, Whereas if I have an offensive coach, I am saying, hey, you can fix whatever quarterback we bring you, and then we'll pour our resources into the other parts of the team.
Speaker 3: Because that would be the.
Speaker 2: Thing because Kevin O'Connell taking a you know, a reclamation project. You talked about some of the other guys kind of working maybe with lesser talented guys at quarterback, whereas the defensive guys like, yeah, give me the most talented quarterback. You just going in what you need to do. You go doing what you need to do, and I'm gonna figure out how to fix this defense and get us playing championship level ball on this side, and you just kind of make enough place for us to win the game, which is kind of weird.
Speaker 1: You would think the defensive coach would maybe have the recycled game manager esque quarterback, but now the defensive coaches have the Ferraris. They got the Ferraris on offense, and maybe the offensive coaches that are trying to make some things happen with maybe not the you know, because.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe maybe the defensive coaches are saying, yeah, I hear you playing with that lesser guy.
Speaker 3: I'm giving the guy that is really hard.
Speaker 2: For me that I don't want to face. And so it may be some of some of that.
Speaker 1: But it's just fascinating, and some of it's some of it's happenstance, just how they ended up getting their guys. But it is interesting to see the AFC and the NFC literally poller opposites quarterbacks and coaches totally totally opposite. So it'll be, uh, it'll be fascinating to see how this thing shakes out. All right, Buckets time for Hot or Not brought to you by with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage. So looking at some guys who are hot right now, let's let's switch over to the running back position. Coming off of a week where you know, the weather gets worse, we always talk about the run game, particularly as you're getting ready to go into the postseason. And how about a couple of these teams with the studs right here at the very top. Sakuon Barkley goes for a buck sixty seven thirty one, carries Derrick Henry twenty seven for a buck forty seven. Absolute workhorses there at the very top. Jayden Daniels at the quarterback position comes right in behind him with one hundred and twenty seven yards. So all three of those teams going to the postseason, all three of those teams showing they can get it done on the ground as we get into that time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're back at the point where we talk about the value of running backs. I think running backs are certainly valued, and I think what we're looking for at the position. There was a time where we were talking about the backpack committee situation, let's split the load or whatever. I think teams are increasingly seeing the value and having a legitimate workhorse. When we were in the league at scals, that's what the league was about, is about having the one guy that you be kind of history wagon too, and he was going to kind of carry you to the Promised Land. You in Baltimore with Jamal Lewis. I spent time with the Carolina pans Is when it was first Stephen Davis, then it was Deshaun Fosterns, D'Angelo Williams. But it was a legitimate running back that was kind of leading the way, not necessarily the driving force of the offense, but you had a bail cow. We're back to that and when you throw in the Green Bay packs and what they were able to get with Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 3: The running game is essential.
Speaker 2: Because what it does is it lightens the load on the quarterback. It doesn't diminish the importance of the quarterback, but it means that I don't need him to be superman seventeen games out the year, maybe four or five games.
Speaker 3: We have to put it in his hands and ask him to do special stuff.
Speaker 2: And it allows them to kind of keep control of the game, preserve your quarterback to when you need him, and ultimately, a more balanced attack gives you an opportunity to have more consistent winning play.
Speaker 3: When we look at the way those teams are constructed.
Speaker 1: The other one I should mention what a big game on Sunday night or sorry. On Monday Night was Jamior Gibbs with the Lions and Jamior Gibbs, Wow, that's somebody like if you look at key players in the postseason, especially, think about this. If they can beat Minnesota and get the buy, you get to me like a guy like that fresh legs, that's a key player for them, the key player for that.
Speaker 2: And look, let's I remember when Jamior Gibbs runs across the ticker that he is drafted for the Detroit lines and just the collective when he was taking because no one necessarily saw him coming off the board at that point. But Brad Gibbs and those guys understand the value in a running back and we're seeing these very talented running backs how they can change the offense. And we've said the common denominator, Yeah, you can be a terrific guy tote in the ball, but you also need to enhance the passing game.
Speaker 3: Jamiir Gibbs dubs Dad and that speed, that explosiveness that he displays when he gets into open field tough to deal with. And you're right if he gets a week off and he has some fresh legs.
Speaker 1: In the tournament, Man Night nine, Yeah, speaking of the running back position. And you're right, Brad Holmes, tip of the cap for the job that he's done. But a couple interesting notes here on the AFC side of things. It looks like Pacheco is gonna be fine once we get to the playoffs, and that's a lot of rest for him to recover because they can their rest. Everybody really have a They're gonna have a it's gonna be a rest versus rust conversation with the Chiefs because they have that Christmas Day game. So then that gives them extra rest to get to Week eighteen. Week eighteen not gonna play anybody against Denver. Then you're gonna get to buy. That is a long long layoff there, rest versus rust.
Speaker 2: So now that you say to DJ, because of that, and we know that Andy Reid always does really well after buys, he might play as guys in Week eighteen.
Speaker 3: He may play them a little longer than we think.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it would be oh man, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I don't know if it'd be a Haad and jacket game. That's a long time to be off, very long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a long time for the rust to kind of sit in maybe maybe preseason game.
Speaker 3: Maybe they played a half, maybe give them half work.
Speaker 1: I don't think what we'll find out. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I think he thinks he's got a veteran group and that at this point time just get off your feet. Get Chris Jones off his feet. Mahomes just had ankle stuff, like, just get those guys very, very fresh. So I mean, that's gonna be fascinating. But my point was that Pacheco will be back. The other thing is another team and that I see every week with the Chargers. JK. Dobbins makes a major difference for them, and the benefit of having a running back get hurt in the second half of the season. You get him back healthy, and then I'm watching him, I'm like, man, he looks fresh as a daisy out there running around.
Speaker 3: I think we had this conversation. Maybe we had the conversation.
Speaker 2: If they go to eighteen games, how you just have some designated weeks where you're like, hey, look, week eleven, you're off, Well, you're off.
Speaker 3: This is a low management. We're gonna make sure we get you back.
Speaker 2: We're gonna bring you because there is something to having your guys fresh and ready to go down the stretch. And we can talk about changing your practice times and how you go about those things. But a full week of rest where you kind of relaxing, you're off your feet, you come back recharged and ready to go. If you have a mature team, you certainly can do it. And so when you talk about the Kancity Chiefs, yeah, j You're probably right, because if you sit down, you only can sit down six to eight guys. You sit down, Travis Gills, you sit down, Pat Mahomes, you sit down, Chris Jones, maybe DeAndre Hawkins.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You pick and choose risk veterans you get off the field, they still are good enough to win games.
Speaker 2: And so maybe it is a situation where you just rest, rest the old guys, let the young guys go aheapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's going to be interesting to see how all these teams handle this. There's a lot of teams faced with that decision this week. Do we want to let guys go go harder? We want to try and pull back a little bit and get ready and fresh and ready to go. So, man, I'm excited for I'm excited to be able to see the finished field, and when that happens, we'll be able to come on here and do some real deep previews on those games. But that was this week's Hot or Not segment, brought to you by what Sabbi Hot Cloud storage store more and do more with your data. Try them for free at wassabi dot com. Buck, Happy new year to you, man. Excited for what's in store here on the show. As we get into the spring, the playoffs are great. We'll have the college games to react to as well as get a chance to really flip the calendar here and get towards the draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Man, it should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: This is what we look forward to when it comes to football. We're in the postseason. Everything matters. There's nothing like watching how people perform when they get to the single elimination tournament.
Speaker 1: Yep, man, we'll have you covered right here. Appreciate you guys, hang with us. We'll see you next time right here on. Move the sticks.