Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Every day a waiting click your ass up the breakfast club finish for y'all dumb.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the world most dangerous morning to show to Breakfast Club. Charalamaine, the God, Lauren Lroossa, Jess Hilarius, DJ Envy, but just An Beyond here today. And I'm mad because you know there's a guy that we have here right now. Man, he goes by the name of Chris Patrick. Sleuth to Chris Patrick, how are you? I'm mad because niholosimone put me onto your music and she not even God damn it.
Speaker 3: I know I just saw yesterday, Dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, day, she souldn't be here this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: You got a new EP, Pray for Me, coming out on a twelve twelve, and you've been described like I I've heard you describe yourself as coming from a place of hunger and self belief. What was the exact moment you realized music wasn't just something you love or something you you had to do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: If I'm be honest, I think back when I was in college, I had entered like a competition, ended up winning it, chanced to open for like Travis. So like, I feel like after that moment, that was the moment where I decided, like, Yo, this is what I'm gonna do. I know how I was gonna do it, but I just was kind of like, this is what it is.
Speaker 5: Travis Scott, Traviscott, Travis, Yeah, Scott.
Speaker 2: Fuck?
Speaker 5: What was that?
Speaker 6: So leading up to that moment when you're about to open up for him, what's the self talk that you're going through, because you do a lot of self talk on this project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, self talk.
Speaker 6: You're going through new artists opening up for Travis Scott, global artists.
Speaker 4: I mean back then, because I was in college when that happened, I was just telling myself like, br this is crazy, but I just gotta lock in and do it. I ain't about to just like go up there and look crazy. That's that's usually by telling myself, I don't want to go anywhere and look crazy. So I just got to go to the hardest I could go. And the titles pray for me, Yeah, what happened? Which sins did you commit?
Speaker 6: Nah?
Speaker 3: No, sense I ain't. Did We all committed from me one hundred percent? But it got nothing to do.
Speaker 4: And in regards to that, honestly, the title comes from uh, back when I was in college with my grandma. She used to send me scriptures like every day, and she used to pray for me. She ended up passing back in like twenty twenty two, and yeah, absolutely appreciate that, and uh, you know that definitely rocked me. But I feel like when I went and did that cost in not mafia Tha, that was the first time in a very long time I started to see, like so many people all over the world I ain't we spoke to just hit me like, brou I'm praying for your success, like I hope you win, I hope you get this. And that just felt like a very humbling moment. Kind of reminded me a lot of like, you know, my grandma. So that's where I kind of like dedicated that probably name.
Speaker 5: To that first song is talking directly about her prayers.
Speaker 4: So the song Sary's Prayer, that's actually my man's from Chicago. He actually prayed for me at the crib when I lived in La. Well I still live in a La but I was living at this one spot and he prayed pray for me before.
Speaker 2: I left the crib.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, and then you mentioned the kay Sat moment in that song as well, where you were like, were.
Speaker 5: A little nervous. It was a lot of pressure, like you didn't even want to go do it at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: I was definitely nervous because I was in a space where I just I didn't know what was next to me. I feel like I was just sitting in a waiting space, not really knowing what was going to be next. And when my man's gave call me, I was just like, hey, bro, I'm gonnahow itp for you. To the best of my ability. That's my man. So I said, look, I'm gonna go in here get kill this for you. Yeah, it's Luthor gave forre. What was going on though, Like, what was going through your mind?
Speaker 1: Whenever I hear your music, I do hear this passion, I do hear you expressing your feelings. What was going on in that particular day though, like leading up to Mike Mafia, because that was pure emotion, you know.
Speaker 4: I feel like I just I've been making music for a long time and I kind of was in this in between space and not knowing whether I was gonna continue or not. End up picking a little part time job, and shit, I'm just getting like into the groove of that, still working on music and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But I just more so was thinking to myself, like.
Speaker 1: If this was the plan all along, God telling me I gotta just do this, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna, like not trust the timing.
Speaker 4: So I kind of went into that whole mafia down with the idea that if this is my last attempt to show the world like I'm here, I'm gonna just do that.
Speaker 3: So it really didn't mean a lot to me to go up there and get crazy like that.
Speaker 1: They're expressing your feelings through music coming to you naturally or was that like a learned behavior naturally naturally.
Speaker 3: I was never good at therapy.
Speaker 4: I just felt like it was way easy to write and make music about stuff like that, and I never really did it for anybody else but myself. But as I see more people resonate with it, I realize how important my story is to just people I don't even know.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm a big proponent of therapy, so I wanted, like, why didn't therapy resonate with you?
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm too self aware sometimes gotta be in there talking and I'm like, yeah, this is something I already realize my myself.
Speaker 3: I need to go work on it.
Speaker 4: But I feel like if I'm gonna be real with you, if I'm diving a little bit deeper, I think there is sometimes a barrier for me to actually speak about my issues. It's way easy to write about them and make them making this song versus actually just sitting there with a person one on one talking about.
Speaker 3: Everything, piece pot piece.
Speaker 1: I think that's the beauty of therapy, right because you I always say, like, for whatever questions you have, the answers are there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is the sometimes we don't want to hear the actual answer.
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes you sit in there settled and you just talking and you like.
Speaker 2: Damn what I know what? You know what I mean, but you don't for whatever either, it don't. It just works in that setting. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna say it just works in that setting, but it comes out in that setting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's definitely.
Speaker 4: And I actually have considered like probably trying to start up again like next year, Like I really want to try to challenge myself. That's what's something I'm too big on just trying to challenge myself to be better every day.
Speaker 6: What would you do differently than when you go back to therapy where you're like, because you're always gonna feel like you're self aware?
Speaker 2: For sure. I think I just got better at listening, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes I like to talking, needed to hear feel like I'm good with X, Y and Z, But I feel like for a very long time I struggled with like listening. So I feel like when I go back this time around, obvious, I'm gonna talk about what I got going on, but I'm more so receptive to what whoever is talking to me got to say.
Speaker 6: Is that a career thing? Like in your career as you're growing, have you had to learn? Okay, if I listened whatever, Like how did you arrive at that? I'm a just listen point.
Speaker 4: It really started with my dad for real, in the process of like me getting a part time job leading up to the Mafia Tha thing. I'm talking to him every day and we just really speaking on the whole career up to this point, and he was just kind oftilling in me like, obviously you don't know what the future is, but you got to be patient, and I feel like what patients comes listening because a lot of times when you in the waiting period, you really got to just listen to everything, Listen to the world, listen to what God talking about, listening to everything around you, Like you got to just be receptive to all of that. So I feel like by developing a you know, a better, better means of being patient, I was able to listen better for real, and I definitely think it helping my career.
Speaker 6: How do you cause I keep mentioning, keep hearing you mentioned the part time job, right, but then you're headed to mafia thigh like the craziness of that.
Speaker 2: I respect it.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 5: I mean I've been there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. I gotta change your dreams and deal with your reality. Yeah.
Speaker 6: My question was going to be, how do you keep your faith or talk about what you went through with your faith while dealing with your real life but still chasing your dream because that is everybody can't get through that.
Speaker 5: That's like the major key if you can figure that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I'm gonna be honest, I really don't have a real answer. I just feel like there was something in me, especially when that call came because at the time, right I'm already in the job for about two months, I'm getting my feet wet. I'm cooling, like I'm having a good time at the job, you know what I'm saying. When Gabe called me something, me was just like, bro, just just do this. Do this all the way I'm talking about I'm going to the job. I'm rehearsing writing on my free time. I had a two hour drive like down and back, so like I'm thinking of stuff if as I'm driving back, I'm rehearsing, reciting every single day. I just told myself, like, if this is my last chance, I'm gonna do this. I just got to do it the best to my ability. I didn't expect none of this stuff to happen after, but I was just like, hey, I know, I'm really good when it comes to just performing in these freestyles. The best I could do is just go out there and put on the best show, because I can't be mad at that if I do my best and nothing comes from it, I can't be mad because at least I killed it.
Speaker 2: So school me.
Speaker 1: When you signed the Depth Jam before Madia line, Uh yeah, Okay, okay, okay, because I just saw you was signing dev Jam. I don't even know you was Dev Jam's golden child. I thought it might Okay, Yeah, why why you feel like that?
Speaker 2: Well with Jam?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, def Jam has been a cultural hub, but just hip hop in general, Like I grew up on that, and I feel like what I bring to the table when it comes to Death Jam.
Speaker 2: Is that new life.
Speaker 4: Like it just feel like reinvigoration just for hip hop. You know, turning my dog, he's basically like family, and for him to even just want to do this with me means the world, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like again, I grew up on this. My uncle literally put me on him your every.
Speaker 4: Dev Jam artist, So to be a part of a label like that now it just feels like a full circle moment, all.
Speaker 2: Of us and you from Jersey, Yeah, East the Orange, to be exact.
Speaker 1: I don't know why Jersey don't come up in more hip hop conversations, but honestly, how did East Darns, New Jersey shape the way you rap and think and.
Speaker 2: Just move through the world? Alight?
Speaker 4: So again, like my uncle, he put me onto a lot of rap, but my dad and my mom. They was big on like R and B, so a lot of Mary J. Blige was getting played in the crib. That was like every damn day love Mary, let me see earth Wind the Fire. Huge heavy h influence in terms of just like the musicality and stuff like that. But I feel like Jersey has always been a melting pot. There's never been like a specific sound that comes out of the place. It's just like a melting pot of so many different things. And the beauty of that is that it allows I feel like, for me, there's a lot of versutility that lives in my music. But it also allows us, over the next decade, or at least the second half of this decade, to start finding that identity because I feel like there are so many amazing people that's coming up right now, Like you got the plat boy Max's you know, I'll be out back out you know to surf on.
Speaker 2: That Waersey Yeah, West Orange, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's amazing. Crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because you never think the screams from the internet, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying, sciss you feel me a lot of themes out there, Kyrie Irving, Like there's a lot of people from Jersey, and I just hope that within this second half of the decade we can start seeing like a lot more these people get together in unite because for a very long time we've really never had a strong identity in terms of that space.
Speaker 2: The last rapper that came from Jersey that I can remember is yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure there's been other people, but I feel like we go under the radar so damn much. Even getting on Mafia thought and like screaming from the rooftop like Jersey Like that should mean a lot to me because like.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jersey had icons. You got you know, Naughty by Nature for you know, musical red Man, like yeah, legends legends in Jersey.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, people don't about Jersey either.
Speaker 6: Gives you a whole rundown what you need to go do talking about the guy what you said, we were talking about you and te.
Speaker 2: No no no no no no no.
Speaker 3: I me and my moms. But absolutely I love that you do that than any of them.
Speaker 2: Is fire you growing up?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I would.
Speaker 4: Feel like it really happened a little bit more towards the high school because when I was growing up, I was kind of just like a sports guy. I didn't really get into music crazy until like middle school, high school, and that's when I started getting onto everything. I wouldn't say anything specifically, but as I get older now I'm always trying to draw from anything.
Speaker 3: I'm listening to Jersey just to pay homage for when you.
Speaker 6: Did the stream, there was a lot of people that like came out and like co signed you right after that. It was like crazy viral. Yeah, what was most surprising for you? I saw NAS?
Speaker 4: Yeah, NAS was nuts. Shoutout dread the Rose for that. Russell Wilson, Russell Wilson was crazy. I woke up to six in the morning and seeing Russell Wilson talking about some a brit It's hard.
Speaker 2: You're a sports guy. I can tell you brush past knobs bro.
Speaker 3: Russell Wilson like, like I was crazy.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of people see the NAS thinking like I'm not gonna try to play like NAS is like legend, that's one of my heroes. But like rus Wilson, that's kind of nuts too, you know what I'm saying. Obviously there are two different realms in terms of like what you was really basing on. But like the NAS and Russell Wilson Wills was definitely the craziest ever can you.
Speaker 5: Talk about like just from so you do.
Speaker 6: The stream is viral and people connected with it because it was so emotional about your Grandmadat. Right after that, like what opportunities open up for you?
Speaker 5: I know you got the tour with.
Speaker 1: Jid Yeah, wow, wow, that question always be like so many things have happened in the period of time since then, it's like kind of hard to always remember.
Speaker 4: But the Jed tour was definitely one of the biggest ones. Super appreciative to obviously Jid burying Zeep to my dogs, taking me through the Midwest. I never been I never actually tore through the states like that before, so that was really like super super cool.
Speaker 3: I met a lot of amazing people. I got so many producer packs.
Speaker 5: Wait, so the Jig tour happened.
Speaker 6: I thought that you already had that in the works, and then he shouted you out and then after announced it hit you because.
Speaker 2: Of the YO.
Speaker 4: I got the call eight days before. I'm not even joking, and I've just suited up and just did what it did. I told my job, I said, look, I ain't gonna lot of y'all this as crazy as hell, but like I gotta.
Speaker 3: Go, and it was like, yeah, for sure, I still have my job.
Speaker 4: When I was on tour and I was coming back and I was actually gonna go back to that the job, but then other craziness happened, I just told him like, hey, I don't think it's fair to y'all that I do this, so I'm just take a step back.
Speaker 2: What kind of job.
Speaker 4: It was a music installation company. Yeah, like we used to go in and stall like radio systems. Now we used to install sound systems like churches and stuff like that. Yeah, So I was out of la doing that.
Speaker 2: Dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fine.
Speaker 2: Is that a trade you gotta learn or nah?
Speaker 4: I feel like just over the time of everything I've been doing in this, I just was learning everything.
Speaker 2: Like everywhere I go, I try to learn as much as I can.
Speaker 4: We tore with Russ like back in twenty twenty four, so like I was with his team a lot. I'm just learning everything as I'm going. So from now I'm picking up tips and I actually use that in my interview. Not even a lot of what got me the job for being an artist and having had a lot of this experience on the road and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: What personal battles do you think your listeners here the most clearly in your music?
Speaker 4: Uh? I feel like for me, it's just confidence, you know what I'm saying. I feel like it's like all of us, you know what I'm saying. We wake up every day trying to just be the best version of ourselves, and it's very hard to do that sometimes when there's so much noise, Like I could imagine what y'all go through, assholests being on this everything's literally under a space like assholes.
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: Whut you ass hosts?
Speaker 5: Of course yep, but you know, ass hosts.
Speaker 4: Like y'all are under a spotlight. I can only imagine scrutiny that y'all go through, And I feel like y'all got it harder than the regular average person, but the average person still goes through that too. So I feel like every day is a challenge of like putting your pants on and telling yourself that nigga, like I gotta get up and do this for me, it's not about proving it to the world, but more so affirming in yourself that you are the person you think.
Speaker 1: You of, especially nowadays when you we live in an era where every single day of your life you can go on your phone and it's somebody trying to tell you that you ain't shit. Hell yeah, I don't even know you, bro, there's no there's no picture on your thing. I can't even say your name on this Twitter or this Instagram app. And you're telling me we've never met before, that that what I'm doing and ship and it's like, Bro, I didn't ask for that, and a lot of it too.
Speaker 6: I always think about this is like if people were if people had the opportunity to do what you were doing, they probably couldn't. They couldn't push it to the finish line the way that you do every day.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: There's like probably one percent of people if they put your right now, they would literally forward at the starting line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every single time. Like it's cool.
Speaker 5: That's what I like most about your project.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 6: It felt like I was on a journey with you. That would feels very familiar to you know, just where I am in life right now. Of like you're talking yourself through like a very vulnerable moment of like I feel pressure, of like you're building. It's built, it's there, people see it. But the pressures in the you get to these levels where you're dealing with things that you didn't even know you're gonna deal with, and then it's like your new kid at school all over again. You gotta talk yourself through it all over again, and it's it felt very familiar.
Speaker 3: You sum that up amazingly literally first day at school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's like you do the first day at school so many times and you're like.
Speaker 3: No, I just was here, Like but that's the beauty of life.
Speaker 4: I feel like if we are going through a year and we don't feel like the first day is something wrong, you should be feeling like we have to restart and move our way up that you know, that's tower genuinely.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Other artist reminds me that j Cole. I get not first day of school all the time from him, but like he does a lot of like reflective like wrap up it, like every.
Speaker 4: Time col pop out, always feel like a new version of cold, which I do I really appreciate a lot from because I feel like we don't see that much in especially like Black artists, Like it's already. I have this theory in my mind that we really don't see what happens to black people like after thirties. I feel like what's perpetuated as the twenties, but like what happens as you get older? What does it look like? What does it look like raising a family? And I feel like when I listen to call a lot of times it's cool to see what that inside looks like, especially as.
Speaker 2: I get older as a black man, trying to figure it out too fee me.
Speaker 1: What you're speaking to is you know, and you're absolutely right. For a long time, hip hop had a glass ceiling, mean that you look up and you think you can go higher, but you eventually hit your head. And it's because a lot of people, artists, media personality, they were afraid to grow and evolve because they experienced a lot of success.
Speaker 2: Being one way.
Speaker 1: And then you know, the cultural cachet was in the street for a long time. People were really afraid to be themselves. So now you've got a whole generation that's got a lot more emotional intelligence. They're doing the work on themselves, so they going to therapy and stuff like that. They're loving on they wives and their girlfriends are being committed to one shoming and you know, having these beautiful families, like yeah, yeah, you're right. Like to me, I think that in the future, mister Morale and the Big Stuff and jay Z four four four are gonna go down. It's two of the most important hip hop albums ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nah, I no, Like I feel like you really summed it up to there.
Speaker 4: It's like you see these Disney movies, it's always like Happily ever after, but like the what come after? You right, that missed them around at four four four? It really is the part that come after that happen. We have a part that's the after genuinely.
Speaker 6: You also talk about on the project Screaming at the Sky. You mentioned you hate church, but you tune in on Sundays because you want to feel close to your grandmother.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, what Why would church? What talk us through your.
Speaker 4: I feel like the journey for a very long time and we see it now the way, like religion in itself is sometimes manipulated for the wrong reasons. I feel like everybody should have their own relationship, whatever that is. You know what I'm saying, Whatever it is you believe in your relationship is unique to you, and whatever that is is what it is.
Speaker 2: What I believe in what you believing, what she believing. It should never clash. It's e mortal.
Speaker 4: Be a conversation to just understand how we maneuver those relationships.
Speaker 3: But it's to each his own.
Speaker 4: And I feel like when I was growing up, especially as a you know, black kid, you going to some of these churches.
Speaker 3: I went to some church white churches with my mama. I'm like, look, it's cool, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: This really hit for me, and for a very long time, I kind of didn't really want to be a part of it. But again, with everything that's been happening in my life, I've just been tapping in form of my own.
Speaker 2: Relationship and that's real though.
Speaker 4: I really did a tune in to like just fear that connection because the only person who was doing that at the time my life was my grandma. Funny enough, my job worked in churches at the same time too, So for like Smooth two and a half months, I'm just locked there, like going through it, and they were the company it was ran. It was Korean based, so I'm getting to see all this stuff from way different angles. Like I'm just opening to the world, just trying to see everything. But everybody's relationship is there, is your grandmother visit you? I do believe that. I feel like I'm not even joking too, Like even in that open line, I was like, I stopped smoking because I feel like, for a very long time.
Speaker 2: I used to have dreams.
Speaker 4: And I really appreciate you asking that first for some most because nobody ever asked me that before.
Speaker 3: But I used to have dreams for a while.
Speaker 4: I didn't have them dreams with my grandma on them, and I wouldn't say I had one recently. But I feel like that cost not Mafia moment just felt too divine, but it didn't feel real, like my mama is my mam Mama. So my mama called me and was like, YO, don't take this the wrong way. But I definitely feel like my mama heard that and that was all I needed. I feel like everything that's been happening, like even its mama we in right now, this don't even feel real, like happy to be here, obviously grateful that y'all haven't be. But again, I'm not like I'm too self aware, like this is this shit is like the bond time now.
Speaker 1: I asked because that my mother's mother, my big mama. She visited me twice.
Speaker 2: Wow in a dream.
Speaker 1: That's why I always ask that, Yeah, because it's one of those things. It's like, damn, I wish that would happen again.
Speaker 4: I feel like the last time I really really remember it, so my grandmama passed in twenty twenty two. It was when I was living in Nashville twenty twenty three. I just one night had a random dream and that was it and it never happened again. But the closer I got to that was like, mafia, do janmuinely?
Speaker 3: Or yeah?
Speaker 1: You know your your songs are like journal in trees? What's the line between vulnerability and over sharing for you?
Speaker 2: And how do you know what to keep to yourself?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: I'm big, I'm protecting my peace. I feel like I do a good job expressing myself. But like niggas don't know my mama name, you feel me like that's important to me, Like I want to keep certain things to me. I feel like as I'm barking on this journey, I realize that it's not just me stepping in as a rapper, but like this the entertainment business and everything is entertainment. There are some things and some people that I would rather keep out of the light. I'm cool with living in that, but these people ain't ask for that either, and I got to be responsible and kindnizant of that as an artist, you know what I'm saying. Like, even as me and my mama figuring out this voicemail that we're putting on there, I'm letting her know, like, Hey, I want you to hear this whole project before we put this out here, because this is not only my story, you part of this too, So like, if you're not cool with this, we're not doing it. But it's like, you know, it involves everybody again, everybody know I got on my every ride.
Speaker 2: No, I got dad.
Speaker 4: I don't know their names, but like that's the line I draw. I got a brother, don't be know my brother name. Like you know what I'm saying. I'm big on that. I talk about the homies lot because we all together, But like I try to keep that wall to the best of its ability because I don't want to ask to nobody life who can't ask for it.
Speaker 5: How is mom right now?
Speaker 6: And all of this like kind of dealing with like your life changing and watching it change.
Speaker 4: And she called me every day. She called me every day. I think that's the biggest thing for me. There was a period of how I me and her wasn't talking every day. And I don't know, like like bad blood or anything like that, but I just wasn't in the right space of mind. I'm moving around and all the shit, and I wasn't really thinking about that. But I feel like as this year is progressed, her, me, her and my dad just get super close. Like I'm calling him every single day to talk to them. It's fired because I haven't been back in like eighteen months, so I've been at the crib for like the last week, so that's been five and hanging out with them. But I talk to them like every day like that. Those are my dogs, Like I always trying to make sure they're good. They always looking out for me, even if it's just calling for five minutes of the day. They appreciate that, and I just try to make that a mission for anything that I'm doing moving forward.
Speaker 2: Even with my grandma, I don't think I did enough of that.
Speaker 4: So there's a super emphasis on that now to just be present in everybody's life as much as I can be.
Speaker 2: Because you never know, Yeah, you never know, take that.
Speaker 4: Shit for granted, Like my grandma. So I started my list because my grandma, she had a friend who did my hair in COVID because we know it was in the crib and stuff like that. And he kept telling me too during the year that she was that she passed, like, yo, go visical, visical visit. I'm like, oh yeah, I'm gonna go eventually, just never did. And eventually that you know that next time turns into it never again and you gotta live with that.
Speaker 1: So I just try to be as president as I can be with my parents more than ever. You know, a lot of artists struggle with comparing their journey to others, right, like how do you keep your confidence in creativity and tact and a culture that's constantly measuring you against everybody else.
Speaker 4: I just focus on Chris Patrick. I can't be I can't be anything else but Chris Patrick. Chris Patrick can't be called Chris Patrick, can't be anybody else that any like Kendrick can't be anything else but me. And I feel like, at the end of the day, as long as I'm working to be the best version of myself, I'm always going to be the best when I show up. Granted, there's always going to be a competitive nature to the sport, which I'm very much aware of, and I'm willing to compete in that. But at the same time, I'm not killing myself in my head over this. As long as I show up and I'm elevating myself, I'm gonna look up and eventually it's gonna be nobody around, just me.
Speaker 6: I text Gabe from on the Radar and told them that we were going to be interviewing you, and I was. I asked him, I said, the first time you put him on the radar, what made you like so many artists? And he says there was just a hunger in him that I don't see him any artists, a desire to make it and get it done by any means necessary. He's really the one you're getting some big knots. I'm really happy for you, Nah.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That means a lot. Like especially gay Man, really good guy. I'm appreciative that he even hit me. I tell him all the time, like, you have no idea how much this means to me. Even asking me to come and do this the second time.
Speaker 6: I don't think he understands what his platform is doing for people. Tell him that time, like, Yo, this platform is really changing people's lives, like off of art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you get on there and you do what you're supposed to do, who knows what comes right?
Speaker 3: Like, literally, i ain't know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: What's something you were once afraid of then no longer scared you put myself out there. I don't fear that anymore.
Speaker 4: I feel like the more I put myself out there, not even on, not even on like I'm doing it for the sake of anything. It's just I feel like the more honest I am about myself and everything I'm going through, it.
Speaker 3: Just seems like the more people keep coming in. I'm not even gonna lie.
Speaker 4: We was on this Jiitsuur doing that same man in the Garden versus as Wow, because I'm seeing people after the show. I'm talking about show get let out, after the gig show, you got a hundred two hundred, three hundred people waiting and to just talk to me about how that verse really resonated with him and hit And that's like it mean a lot because again, a couple.
Speaker 1: Months ago, I'm sitting at my job taping on the computer writing up X Y and Z.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about this, but.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks past, every night sound out merch like we had to reap so many times on the tour because they just kept buying shit, and I'm like, well, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: So I feel like.
Speaker 4: Just being myself, and you know, I think to become SUSCEPF, we gotta be willing to embarrass yourself.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it don't even be embarrassing. We just be in our heads a lot. People really be needing the shit. Like, you know what I'm saying, what's something you're still working through, trying to work life balance?
Speaker 2: I suck. I suck. It's not real. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I told my mama. I said, I feel like I'm a really good rapper, but I gotta be a better son. I gotta be a better brother, I gotta be a better friend, gotta be a better cousin, better uncle. Like That's what I'm trying to be. And that's something I feel like. I really got to work at rapping. It come naturally to me. But everything else is what I gotta work. And I'm cool with that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I would rather have it that way than just not knowing what I want to do. But it's it's an uphill battle, but I'm willing to work at it. That's so interesting, man, because you know me and my wife we always talk about how like, you know, there's no manual for parenting, right, Yeah, but you just made me think about something like as a rapper, there's like you can do a mafia thin freestyle and somebody be like, yo, you nice.
Speaker 2: You get the validation. Hey, you don't get that. Have a father, or a son or a husband, Like, ain't.
Speaker 1: Nobody you feel men Like your wife might tell you every now and then you a good husband, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't even know if you're doing a good job.
Speaker 1: You don't know what you're working through, what you're working through, or what you're working on is actually bringing you to where you go.
Speaker 3: You kind of just got to go with the flow.
Speaker 4: And that's just something I'm open to learning, just how to be a better person altogether.
Speaker 6: Like as your star girls, is that pressure of trying to figure out all that other stuff, being a better son, brother, all those things? Does that grow as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think so, you know what I'm saying, I feel like I spent the first part of like starting his career, putting so much pressure on the work that I was doing, to the point where like I become some meticulous in detail the second nature. But I feel like now having to deal with this other side is so much more rewarding because I can see it in real time, me writing versus every single day for two years in a row. You don't know what that turns into until you have your moment. But picking up the phone from my mama every day for the next two years, that's beautiful. I'm not gonna get that back. That's time.
Speaker 2: I'm never gonna be able to that. There's no amount of money in the world.
Speaker 4: That can make that time up if I don't take this moment to call my parents, Like I don't get that back.
Speaker 1: What do you feel is missing for rap right now that you're intentionally trying to put back.
Speaker 4: Niggas need to care. There's too many people who are good, but they don't care enough. And I feel like that's my problem, Like I can't. I know I'm personally talented. I wouldn't even say that like I'm more talented than the next man. I just think I care more, and that's what I want to show people like, Yo, this shit can be done, like we working this pay for me projects, doing and a half weeks.
Speaker 3: That's care.
Speaker 1: I ain't never heard no shit like that. I ain't never seen people do nothing like that. Two and a half weeks, bro. For the moment Mafia thrown in it. Bro, I literally locked the next day playing call my phone to side.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not a long time, but you like what Yeah, Bro, I'm a crackhead about this shit, Like I really do this and I just want people to care.
Speaker 2: I want people to put.
Speaker 4: The intensity in there. I remember, Uh, somebody has seen one of my videos. They was like, Yo, you look really angry and that. I'm like, Bro, I just wanted to deliver the performance. I'm a really nice guy, y'all see me. I ain't coming here on no bullshit.
Speaker 6: I didn't know what you were gonna be like in person because they music it is very like intense, you know, but you like super jolly.
Speaker 4: I'll be flipping the switch like I'm very like chill, very laid back. But when it comes to that, when it comes to that ship, oh yeah, I'm a hooper. But yeah, I just want people to care.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: Like, I think we need to see more artists caring, showing their journey, showing themselves going hard, because that's what made me a fan growing up with like all the people that we love. Now, when I see you know, Cole going to do that be free joint he did on that late night show.
Speaker 2: It's like, WHOA, that shit stuck with me forever.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna lie. I really modeled a lot of my mafia throwing around that shit. It's like, bro, he went up there and made a moment that we wasn't expecting. Fucking I'm gonna do the same, you know what I'm saying. So I just want people to care again.
Speaker 2: Do you ever?
Speaker 1: I mean it's interesting because like people love you because you're honest. I love you because your emotion. Your emotion, you expressure relatability. Do you ever feel pressure to, like I guess, always show up as that strong, self aware version of yourself that people are going to expect because you're gonna have bad things.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. I mean it's they're my best friend. Money man is he already know he see it all? He know how I get. I feel like it's about having pockets, Like there'll be days where I do be down and like he'll see that, but maybe not everybody else. And that's cool, Like that's my man's for life. We just talk about things, we move from it, and we go through it.
Speaker 1: But I try not to show too much of that because I've started to realize that I also have a responsibility.
Speaker 4: There are people in the world who be like bra If I could show y'all some of the messages I've received after this, it'll make you cry, like it's really crazy how people looking at me. And I'm not gonna be I'm not gonna be foolish act like I don't got a responsibility. Granted, there's no pressure on me to feel like I got to be somebody savior, but I don't have any problem being the beacon. If somebody need that to get through their days, I'm cool with that.
Speaker 2: And and don't let people think that you perfect at all at all. You might see, that's what I'm saying. It might see you with some liquid, it might see you.
Speaker 3: Feel with the ladies, you know what I mean. Outside, But I feel like that's the beauty of life.
Speaker 4: Though for a very long time we've been watching everything through like a perfect picture but like you got to see how the artist got there, Like it takes so much for us to show up every day.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it took a lot for y'all to show up today.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you'all was going through, but it's like y'all, you know, showing up at y'all best sales.
Speaker 4: But people have to realize it's so much more than that. It's so much more than that. And I don't have a problem showing that, Like it's okay to be your health cool.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest misconception people have about Chris Patrick the person versus Chris Patrick the artist?
Speaker 2: By this misconception.
Speaker 4: That I'm like very chilling, like perfect as a person, I feel like as I meet more people, uh.
Speaker 1: They just have to realize, oh, he's just like us, like absolutely man, Like I grew up in easterns New Jersey.
Speaker 3: I was with the homies just like damn near everybody else.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I feel like, if there's any misconception, I just want people to know, like I'm a person. I feel like for a very long time, just like streamers, I feel like for a very long time, I existed on the Internet. And this is like the year where everybody started to see it in real talent, like this is a real like this is a real person, not just some nigga that you're seeing on one of them pages on Twitter or some ship. Like this is a real deal person. And I feel like as I continue to meet more people, I think the feedback is, oh, yeah, you just like us.
Speaker 2: And it's just you know, I've been here with that raw emotion, man, people can feel that.
Speaker 1: I remember sitting at the house and you know, we was listening to Ruben Vincent album with me and no Ill of my wife listening to Ruby Vincent albums and Star.
Speaker 2: And I love Marchael plus.
Speaker 1: Now that's my brother, both of them, Ruben and Marco them my brother's for real. Very If you like Ruben and Marco, you're gonna like. This is Chris Patrick and she plays she just started playing.
Speaker 2: I was like, who is Chris Patrick?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, that's what the dude from the Mafia thumb and she just started playing me music and I was just like, oh, I feel what I feel what he's doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, I feel what you're doing. Appreciate.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I found, you know, found a way into your home to bump that for real? What's a what's a.
Speaker 1: Piece of advice you'd give this someone fighting through the same doubts that you once had.
Speaker 4: Show up every day. There's nothing you could do, Like, there's nothing more you can do but just show up. There's gonna be days where it's not like I'm not gonna lie. Don't even think there's perfect situation. The perfect situation is always now you can make the situation perfect. There are gonna be times where you show up to something and it's not going the way it's supposed to go.
Speaker 1: But if you control what you have to do and you prepare the way you have to prepare, it could become the greatest situation of your life.
Speaker 4: Like, nobody knows what I was going into going through before the mafit down, but I showed up and did my best and it became a perfect situation, you know what I'm saying. And I feel like that's something that everybody has to do consistently. Just wake up every day and do your thing. As long as you do that, you're good. And I feel like if you operate under the guys that there is no reward, you're doing it for you. You're gonna be rewarded every single day for that something is crazy's gonna come your way and it's gonna be like damn, I don't even expect it, but it's because you work for it unknowingly.
Speaker 2: Oh I know why I bought that up. I bought that up because it felt like it feels like it's a new class. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, we always have that in hip hop, and that's why you know, people still sleep on double exelf.
Speaker 2: But I like when they do that freshman class thing. But it feels like y'all are a part of a class.
Speaker 1: Do you do you feel that, Like, let's be real, when of the last time you've seen it, like, at least within this space of hip hop, when's the last time you really seen a class of people like this many people going up that you identify it together.
Speaker 2: It's been a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen plus years ago when it was the Kendricks and Nicoles and the Drakes and the Walets and yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, now even know if that's the same area. I feel like Lee and Cudding, it might have been like a class.
Speaker 4: Before we could group them all up in there, they all together in my mind because I feel like everybody had impact impact at that time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you're right, we haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: Like I feel like individuals you might have seen pop in and out, but we've never seen this many people at least be all cohesive and on the same page to do this you don't actually care about actually want a rap for real, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I was crapping my projects with like the Rubins, the Marcos Bean, Riley Swabs, like Jordan bean Is like every day, like we was broke together. We was writing these projects together. We were literally like putting all this shit together, bouncing off ideas, we playing each other projects. We're like, oh yeah we fuck with this.
Speaker 4: We don't fuck with this, Hey, bro work on this, Like we always cracking the shit together. And then you start to see that expand as we start to meet more people and shit like that, like we really all coming up together and this shit the same way they was. So I'm just glad that everybody else could see it, because for a very long time we just felt like it was us in this low bubble and nobody realized. And then you start seeing one person get it, then another person get it, and the third person getting everybody talking about everybody. So it's good that y'all can identify that the same way we've always been talking about for the.
Speaker 2: Last year and a half.
Speaker 6: I feel like y'all have the So it's the Internet, but y'all know what to do with it. Like when you mentioned Ruben, I think about like all of his visuals and like, you know what I mean, Like when I met him, I didn't know who he was, but then when I followed him, I'm like, oh, like and then I'm hearing your music and Marko plus and like all these people. Y'all know how there's like a middle point that y'all have figured out where it's Internet, but it's substance and it's work in business built around at the same time, people can't like juggle that all yeah, And that's like itself is like a oh, like it makes you want to like tap in, like all right, what's next.
Speaker 2: One thing we always study is like, you know, obviously like the Cold Drake Kendrick.
Speaker 4: It's like one thing that they always did was beingm pactful and regardless of what the Internet is talking about as long as you hit that wave and you impactful, they're it's cool, but you also got to go touch the That's more than anything you got touch with people Like this internet shit, it's only as real as we let it be. But what's realist Showing up to a spot and it's twenty five hundred people there. You ain't never met them with Daniel life, but three hundred that want to talk to you after the show, they want to buy your shit. That's real impact. So as long as we can get out there, I mean obviously digitally be killing it, but like, if you can go out there and touch people in person, you good.
Speaker 1: And you look at your future you know, musically, personally, and most importantly spiritually. Yeah, what would success look like to you? If you took the charts out, the awards, screaming numbers, if you took all that out of the equation, what would success look like?
Speaker 3: Shit?
Speaker 4: Mo, Mo, move my parents out of Jersey. They're like Texas, they want to move down south for like Georgia. They we want to move down south for a very long time. And that's really where like my mind is. I swear to God, I might even try to lie, but like when I have my part time drive. I kind of accept that, like if this is where my journey is and it's cool, like it's just what it is, that's the way it goes. So I feel like what's happening right now is the bonus round for me, fucking the charts and all that other shit, Like if I could make sure my parents is good, like that mean the world, because when I it on myself, they never did, so like I'm here for that.
Speaker 6: I had that same moment right before I got a job that like changed my I was like, yo, if it's over right here, I'm cool, Like I didn't and then everything just like switch. It was like it's so weird, so.
Speaker 4: Weird had it happens. And I feel like there's a lot of detachment there. Unless you unless you seek the outcome, the more likely it is for you to come. I feel like people who granted I do believe that you have to lock in for the work you're doing, but it's not for the sake of the outcome. It's for the sake of the work. But when you're so focused on the result, a lot of times you miss the mark. Like you can't be too hyper focused on that. You gotta do all the intangibles that people can't see, Like, they don't know if you're waking up at five in the morning to get right. They don't know if you're writing every day, they don't know if you're trying to work on X, Y and Z. That's the type of stuff that's gonna bring you to where you gotta get to. But you know, I feel you congratulations too. Also, I think that's an amazing thing that you just shared with me because people don't be talking about it like that.
Speaker 3: You do the same shit.
Speaker 1: You said something else that's very important too. You said, you know, your last job, if that was it for you, you were happy with that, And I truly believe that. You know, God isn't gonna bless you with more unless you appreciate what you have. Yeah, and you know the fact that you had something that you appreciate and you like, all right, God, this is cool.
Speaker 2: I'm cool with this. That's why you receiving more blessings now.
Speaker 3: No, lie.
Speaker 4: And that's why I'm trying to go hard too, because it's like I feel like in the past, I'm out of funding my opportunity, whether it being like I'm blinded focused on the rose out.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, doing shit I shouldn't be doing.
Speaker 4: If this is my opportunity to really get it crazy, I'm not about to waste this somebody to go dumb hard, because really I want to miss it.
Speaker 2: I gotta get it done. Listen, man, Chris Patrick, Pray for Me is out December twelfth. That's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, today, today, today, today, God damn.
Speaker 2: Chris Pratrick Pray for Me is out right now. Man, good meeting you, brother.
Speaker 3: Nah, like well, I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you absolutely. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.