Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio, News.
Speaker 2: Does it, does it have any impact upon you that these reasonably intelligent group of people actually think that what you inflicted upon the country has damaged the country.
Speaker 3: What I think is that the British people voted for, Yes, they voted for They respect and democratic result, which you have never wanted to do.
Speaker 1: It was a day that changed Britain and Europe and Tellias on Alastair, Campbell and Jacob Rees-Mogg go head to head on Brexit. Do you think that Brexit has led us to the much more multi party politics that we are in now.
Speaker 3: Well, the reasons for Brexit is that people felt whoever they voted for, nothing changed, Very little has changed in the ten years since, and now they're looking at other parties.
Speaker 2: A lot of people who voted for Brexit are disappointed that that hasn't delivered a better life for them.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg Weekend. This is the Mishal Husain Show. I'm Mishal Husain. The premise of this podcast the promise, if you like, of what we do every week is one essential conversation to make sense of the world, but sometimes there's more to talk about. Today is the ten year anniversary of the UK voting to leave the European Union, an enormous decision and one that contributed to the unprecedented churn in the number of prime ministers sense a phenomenon that's continuing right now given the resignation of Keir Starmer. So what did Brexit do to the UK's politics as well as its economy? The ten year milestone gives us an opportunity to reflect on just that, to look forward as well as back. And for this bonus episode, we decided to bring to gather two people on both sides of the debate who feel as strongly about Brexit now as they did back in twenty sixteen. They are Jacob Rees-Mogg and Alastair Campbell, who came into our London office to speak to an audience of Bloomberg subscribers. Quick final note before we hear them. If you want to be in the room for one of these in the future, there is a link to subscription offers in our show notes. And here's what happened when Jacob and Alastair joined me on stage.
Speaker 4: Welcome Now.
Speaker 1: Some of you will remember that it was at Bloomberg, not in this building in our old headquarters, where David Cameron made the fateful pledge that he was in favor of having an in out referendum on the EU ten years ago.
Speaker 4: Jacob Rees-Mogg, you were a Conservative MP.
Speaker 1: You campaigned to leave the EU Alastair Campbell. You were very much on the other side in twenty sixteen, but people knew you already from your work with Tony Blair in Downing Street. In the time we have I want to look back at the economic impact and the political impact of Brexit in the last ten years, and also your views on the future and what could or should be the future of the UK's relationship with EU.
Speaker 4: So first of all, as the results.
Speaker 1: Came in in June 2016, what did you not appreciate that we now know, Jacob.
Speaker 3: Well, the one thing I didn't appreciate was that the remain side, who had been quite passive in the referendum campaign, would start campaigning much harder after the result than they had done before. Very fair, whereas my side thought we'd won and stopped and that was a mistake by our side and fascinating by the other side. And that's had very important consequences because since then you've had much more from people who think it was a mistake I think the reason they started campaigning after results was they never thought they would lose, and they thought it was just a few eccentrics like me who were in favor of it, and that nobody would in fact vote for it. I thought at the time we would win, because the more I got away from central London, the clear it became that there was a very large base of support for Brexit. So that was the one big thing that I have noticed is the difference in campaigning since the result.
Speaker 2: Well, when you were asking the question, the thing that popped into my head I was in ITV studio. Tom Bradby was sitting there talking about this, that and the other, and at the very moment when it came up that it is now impossible for Remain to win, I saw David Davis and Liam Fox look at each other with absolute panic in their eyes. The thing that really surprised me was that. And Jacob is right, by the way, the Remain campaign was terrible. I actually I regret now I didn't get that involved in the Remain campaign because Cameron Osborne kept telling us it's all fine, it's all fine, I don't worry about it. I got involved subsequently and I was one of the few who admitted that the People's Vote campaign, to my mind, was probably the only vehicle we had left possibly to stop what I thought was a terrible act of self harm. So I was open about that. But I think what genuinely surprised me was there was just no plan, that there was no plan at all. The lies had been told, the myths had been sold, and we had to pick up the pieces.
Speaker 3: I do think Alice, to kind of all people, has to be careful about talking about live considering his reputation.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the reputation?
Speaker 3: What's your reputation? High Court judge in nineteen ninety six saying you're an reliable witness. That's quite a good part of your reputation, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well stick to Brexit.
Speaker 1: I think there's quite there's quite enough to get in.
Speaker 3: But Alastair brought up this question of lie you did lie? No, we didn't, you did you truth? But talking about lives, Alastair needs to look at his own record because he has done more to damage trust in British politics than anybody has written a book about wanted to. This is really important.
Speaker 1: I would rather that given that I've set the parameters on that we're going to talk about economic impact political and do you mind if we turn to econom As.
Speaker 3: Long as Alastair stopped saying we lied and then I went talk about his life, I think we can spend the whole debate lies, can I.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you what Bloomberg Economics analysis just released has been about the economic impact of the last ten years, because this is just you know, they've they've crunched the numbers as as you'd expect, and in terms of the economic impact, this has been their finding that Brexit may have already cost the UK economy between two and four percent of GDP, that the Central estimate is very conservative, two and a half percent of GDP lost over the long run, which is equivalent to about thirty billion pounds a year in foregone annual tax revenue.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Well, that the figures don't actually stack up. So if we look at the Bloomberg which is no, there are different ways of interpreting figures. So when you look at how the UK economy has done, actually we've outperformed Germany, We've performed broadly in line with France. Why if we'd remained in the EU, would we have performed as the outline.
Speaker 1: Let me put it in broader terms, do you accept that there has been any economic hit at all in the last ten years compared to where the UK would have been had it remained in the EU.
Speaker 3: I think using our economic freedoms has actually helped us. And if you look at.
Speaker 4: Our trade, is that a yesterday?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a complete answer if you give mention. If you look at our trade, our invisible trade, our services trade has been roaring ahead and I think that's been partly possible. We've seen our trade with India increase very rapidly and invisibles because we're outside the European Union, we're no longer confind by its rules.
Speaker 1: So has has been beneficial beneficient? Okay, that's a very rare view that you think overall this has been a net beneficent yes, okay, and not least.
Speaker 3: Because we got the vaccine early.
Speaker 2: So you people opened Let me just say, Jacob says he doesn't want to leave. I'm not going to leave this line thing because it.
Speaker 3: Is part of let's go back to the lying thing. I'm sure you have a lives record of lying to the Commons of sexing up document. You may remember, can I just finish the point where you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: The public You have got.
Speaker 3: One point out a single lie to me, You've got I can point out a whole.
Speaker 2: Second to talk about the substance because they're so deluded. It's still thinking be anything more than happy. Every single person in this room poorer.
Speaker 3: That's your true.
Speaker 2: It is true.
Speaker 3: You've made every single This comes simply we opened the economy early vaccine justice and you never you're the one who destroyed in the British.
Speaker 1: Let me ask Allister Campbell the same question that I put to you about the economic impact feweral facts and egame, Well, would you accept that the economic impact has not been as bad as you thought, given that today the UK is still under OECD projections projected to be the third third fastest growing economy in the G seven.
Speaker 2: I think that the economic consequences of brex had been catastrophic. I think that you could if you take you've given a conservative end, if you take some of the other assessments, that we're up to eight percent, between six and eight percent on the economy. We now have small firms that write to me all the time who have literally given up trying to trade with the European Union because of the red tape that these liars said they would cut by leaving Brussels, They've now given up trading with business productivity is lower than it would be, our GDP is lower than it would be. And what's more, we could double We've got a security crisis at the moment. If we, to my argument, had not left the European Union, we could currently double defense spending and increase the national health service by fifty percent without touching any tax.
Speaker 1: If everything that you're saying is true, then why are we projected to be the third fastest growing Ye.
Speaker 2: I've never been one of those anti Brexit people who thinks that the European Union is some kind of panacea or some sort of Europe is not in a good place. Europe's competitiveness is too low. But we in wrenching ourselves out of the biggest market in the world. We have done fundamental damage to every single person and business.
Speaker 3: In this gusty Again, first of all, these figures are just wrong. The eight percent is a joke figure and assumes that we would have grown as the United States has grown. The United States has grown faster because it's got cheap energy have grown faster than Germany. What part of being in the EU would have allowed us to grow even faster than we have when its anchor economy has been failing. Activity question finished. An activity question is mainly a question in the public sector, where the private sector productivity has been marginally increasing and the public sector doesn't export the European Union.
Speaker 2: I'm relying on the analysis done by the government, by this government and the last government that has been tracked that we have taken a substantial.
Speaker 1: Everyone here to do it to the Bloomberg Economics analysis, which has a wide range and where everyone can see the basis of the figure.
Speaker 3: Elster should just explain how the OBR came to its four percent. I'm not talking about the OBI Well, that's the key figure, the four percent figure. It's not that was a four forecast by the.
Speaker 2: National Bureau of Economic RESAR. That's not It is the basic figure.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to ask you I'm I'm going to ask you both. I'm going to ask you both to this aspect of it for a moment, because we can both see that you're never going to agree on a common set of numbers, and they are entitled to not agree on a common set of numbers. Let's turn to the political impact of the last ten years.
Speaker 2: It's been a total triumph.
Speaker 4: Do you hasn't it both of you?
Speaker 2: To triumph both of you?
Speaker 4: We're more respective in the world you're associating.
Speaker 1: You spend your lives working for the two parties which have dominated our politics for the last century. Do you accept that both of their political fortunes have suffered because of Brexit Alastair?
Speaker 4: Do you accept that for Labor?
Speaker 2: Yes? And I'll tell you why. Because they haven't fought hard enough to make sure that the public fully understands the calamity that was inflicted upon as by these people, and they've tried to accept. One of I think Keir Starmer's mistakes was this idea that we're going to make Brexit work. You can change things at the margins. And they've tried very hard to do that with some of the vetermin agreements with Erasma, Erse and so forth. But they don't want to address the fundamental question. And you know, am I allowed to ask the audience a question for show of hands? I'd like to know because you know, you can read polls, you can read all the stats and voices of it. Can I just ask the people in this room who thinks I'd be very very neutral success or failure for the United Kingdom? Who thinks Brexit has been a success for the United Kingdom? Who thinks has been a failure?
Speaker 1: To explain, No one in the audience raised their hands when Alastair asked if Brexit was a success. Nearly everyone had raised their hands for failure.
Speaker 2: You get that, Jacob, You can live in your dream world. You get that everywhere in the country, everywhere.
Speaker 3: If I'd been here in the year of the referendum and we'd said who wants to leave and who wants to stay, we'd have had exactly I found that every yard I went from the center of the city of London, you've got more supporters for breakfast. I knew if we went to Lincolnshire, if we went to Cornwall. And I really did find this during the debates, because I went anywhere that invited me to speak, and the closer you were to the center of the city, the heart of the city, the more anti brex that it was. So that doesn't surprise me at all that you get that.
Speaker 2: Does it any impact upon you These reasonably intelligent group of people actually think that what you inflicted upon the country has damaged.
Speaker 3: What I think is that the British people voted for yes. They voted respect result that you have never wanted to do.
Speaker 2: I've never wanted to do.
Speaker 1: No. I'm going to bring in some polling by IPSOS and we're going to talk in detail about the future a bit later, but as a sense of where polling stands right now, over half of British adults would vote to rejoin the EU if a new referendum was held, although that fifty two percent Alastair is probably not as large a majority as you would hope for if things have been such a disaster in the last ten years.
Speaker 2: I think an awful lot of people just do not want to revisit the debate. I do want to revisit the debate, and I think it's a debate that has to be had. But I under I meet lots of people who completely buy my analysis of what's happened, but actually just do not want to revisit the debate. And I'm afraid that's where I think the Labor Government's.
Speaker 4: Got itself into question, and that is it.
Speaker 1: It's like if a vote was held fifty two percent would apply to would apply to join the europe would like to see the UK apply to join the rejoin the European Union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean fifty thirty three. I mean that if you're looking at that as an electoral thing, that's you'd call that a landslide. But look, I don't think until there is a debate. Nobody here, nobody in this room thinks that we are going to have a referendum in the near future. Okay, I would like to be one, I don't actually think we're going to have one for some time. And two reasons. One is I don't think the political debate wants to hear. But secondly, while we've got the prospect of people like Jacob getting into bed with people like Nigel Farage and Nigel Ferrage possibly come in the government, the European Union is not going to think about having us back because this debate, this is the triumph that Jacob can take some comfort and given his views of the world that until the country is settled in the view that we should be in the European Union, the European Union is not going to have us back.
Speaker 1: Okay, before you answered, Jacob, I want to take you back and put the same question to you that Aliet answered a moment ago about labor. So how the impact on your party, which fractured to some extent and has been in power repeatedly since then.
Speaker 3: It's been very divisive for the Conservative Party since the early nineteen nineties that there's been a pro European anti European wing and that has made room for reform to grow out of the Conservative Party and led to a lot of divisions in.
Speaker 1: The last party failed to actually handle Brexit properly.
Speaker 3: And Asta made the point that there was no plan for leaving. That was a deliberate policy and decision of David Cameron, and it seems to me it was a deeply responsible that if you give the country a referendum and you're the prime minister, you ought to think you could lose.
Speaker 4: As someone who was arguing I knew what.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do, but I wasn't in government. I was a backbench MP and that was the difficulty. That's the difficulty with referendums is that you don't have the party that wins the referendum then implementing the policy. You have the party that is government in government doing it. Who may disagree with the referendum, and that was the position we got into, David Cameron going and Theresa May, who was a remainer, taking over. And so yes, there were lots of ideas of what we should do when leaving, but we weren't the government of the day. We were just arguing for those points.
Speaker 2: But that gave them an extraordinary advantage that leave could mean whatever any of the leaders said that it meant. And that's why there was such a catalog of lies because Johnson said one thing, for Ars said another one. Michael, it was like listening to King Herod on childcare. Well, I mean, I think you should get back getting to the modern world, Jacob. I know it's difficult for but I think that I think that, And that's not an antihistorical point. The list of your Peter Oburn list is so debunked and so discredited bothered. I've never seen anything in my life unlike the right I believe in free speech. Now, if I can return pretty well heeled, if I can return to help miche try to put Oh, he's got footnotes in the book marvelous not to be true. I'll tell you something about the book that I would recommend you should get this for your book club, because this is what Brexit's actually about. Jacob's dad, William Rees-Mogg, wrote a brilliant book in nineteen ninety seven time for readed the time. It's called The Sovereign Individual. It was a guide to the rich and powerful about how to become more rich and more powerful. And it was written as a note to investors. And that is what you interviewed, Eilon Musk. That is what a lot of this is about. It is about the rich getting more rich, the powerful getting more power, and it's about people being conned by clever people like Jacob and clever people by like Nigel Farage into voting for.
Speaker 3: Something that's are the only ones who are clever, the ones who wanted to rejoin. My father believed that if everybody in the world got rich, of the whole world got richer, that free trade it is indeed, and there's very strong evidence for that. So I'm more than happy to defend my father and do would you want me to come onto this chart because I think this is important.
Speaker 4: You can say something about this chart.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's very Yes, Minister-ish, because it absolutely depends on the question you ask. So if you say this, would you like to rejoin the EU, Yes, you get a majority.
Speaker 4: Just from asking that question.
Speaker 1: I mean there's thirty three people who.
Speaker 3: Said say yes. Because people always hanker for what they haven't got. But if you ask would you like to join the euro and would you like your contributions to go up on the latest budget proposals coming from Brussels to thirty six billion pounds, the answer is very different. When you say to people do you want your trade rules made by a foreign country or international organizations? The answers are different. So yes, this is a headline figure, but it's not the full picture. And if we had a debate where I agree with Alastair's unlikely that we will have the new referendum, I think this would all change during the course of the debate.
Speaker 4: Part of me is.
Speaker 1: Very perplex that people like you from the Conservative Party, who essentially the ethos is to conserve institutions, to believe in representative government rather than the will of the people in this kind of format, that you ever thought that a referendum was the right way to make a big decision like this. There's something almost revolutionary about it.
Speaker 3: No, there isn't Dice sets out why he thinks the referendum should be the preferred way of making constitutional change after nineteen eleven Parliament Act, when we no longer have I think referendum is the right way to make serious constitutional changes when you have a factor unicameral system.
Speaker 4: The mandate for the twenty sixteen one lot.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. It's the same as the Scottish referendum. It's a generation, is what has been said about Scotland. As the last one was last one was.
Speaker 2: Fifty years there's got to be a clear desire for it now. I think that desire will grow. But at the same time, unless what I've realized since kind of being half in half out of politics, Unless within the political parliamentary system itself there is real pressure for something, it's less likely to happen. And that's why I have been disappointed that Labor and the Lib Dems have basically kind of given up. They don't they've given up almost in calling out the damage it's being done, which is why desid are allowed to sort of parent the nonsense that they do.
Speaker 3: I disagree with the send half of that, but I don't disagree with the first half. I think there isn't an appetite to revisit this. But I'm also not sure that EU will exist in twenty years time. It's got major financial problems, it's trying to increase its budget, it's got strains within it economically, and it's got strains within it culturally in relation to mass migration.
Speaker 1: Would you accept this as stumble that the immigration was a big part of the debate in twenty sixteen, and since then you can see that in so many other European countries. So I mean those tensions have they've been shown not to be they weren't whipped up. They exist in other places, sure, because of the world that we're in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but net migration trebled since the referendu trebled.
Speaker 4: So I were under the prime minister that Ja.
Speaker 2: Johnson, So what I accept, and this government actually has managed to get it down to sort of more acceptable level over time that could become damaging to our economy as we get older and older and older, and we tried to find the workers that we're going to going to need to look after us and so forth. But I think that the look the rest This is why I say the rest of Europe is facing a lot of the same challenges. Part of the problem with the Brexit debate has always been this sense of our sort of great British exceptionalism. We do these amazing big things, like we're leaving the European Union. You watch the French will follow and the Dutch will follow, and none of them have followed.
Speaker 3: That was a major part of our debate.
Speaker 2: They have looked at us, including even the far right like the penn They have looked at the damage we've done to ourselves and said, no, this is not the way to go. What I think is going to happen. So I don't talk about rejoin. I talk about join because I think Europe has to change as well.
Speaker 1: And I only Blair, your old boss, says that is not really an argument right now, because the UK wouldn't do it from a position of strength.
Speaker 2: Enter of course, we've given up so much of the advantage we did have the rebate, we'd weren't in Sheng and we weren't in the euro We've given up all that. We've given away.
Speaker 3: So much, so are accepted if we joined, we'd have to take all that.
Speaker 2: I'm accepting that it would be a very very difficult negotiation. Which you've made a lot harder, because because I think it's going to be a very different Europe that I want to see a Europe that has Ukraine in it. I want to see Europe that even has Turkey in it because of their military strength, which we're going to need, particularly as the Americans seem to be sort of, you know, deserting us on that front. I want to see Norway. Iceland's having a referendum coming up about whether to revisit. I think we've got to think of Europe not as you know, and I would get rid of the whole kind of you know, the power of the veto. We've got to have a very different Europe. But I think that the only In fact, I made a note this morning because I've become a bit of a fan of the Pope since his in cyclical on AI. I still don't do God, but.
Speaker 4: He said, you'll have to have that in common.
Speaker 2: Then I think it's wonderful, and AI it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's very important. I agreed with I agreed with the bits about how mankind needs to keep control of AI. Then you have to understand the human person.
Speaker 2: Is well with his fears about growing in equality. But yesterday in the Spanish Parliament he said, I encourage you all to nurture the process of the European Union, which is not merely a counterweight to other powers, but a gift to humanity. Did you agree with that?
Speaker 3: It's not a infallible statement. I don't have. Father is only infallible when he speaks on a matter of faith and morals ex capil. That was not faith or morals, was not ex cathedra. And I could point past the ninth saying that actually the European Union is the apostate state and is eternally damned. That would be perhaps a little bit spicy.
Speaker 2: Yes, it would, it would, Yeah, anyway.
Speaker 1: My point hang on, I want again on the on the politics. Do you do you think that Brexit has led us to the much more multi party politics that we are in now? And Jacob, do you regret that your party not only regarded itself as the natural party of government but actually historically has more than often been that.
Speaker 3: I think the parties managed to come too close together, that you had Dave Cameron wanting to be the out of Blair and people feeling that it didn't.
Speaker 4: Matter how they wasn't a real conservative change.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that. I'm just saying he accepted a lot of the changes under Labor ninety seven to twenty ten, and that and Labor had ex acepted a lot of changes Margaret Thatcher made, which I may think is quite right. So we have a degree of common ground. But I think one of the reasons for Rexit is that people felt whoever they voted for, nothing changed, and that therefore they needed to vote for fundamental change. They found that very little has changed in the ten years since we are still massively overregulated, we still have too big a state, and now they're looking one.
Speaker 4: Thing about regulation.
Speaker 1: Though it was you were in the government Boris Johnson's government the moment that the UK actually left the EU at the end of twenty twenty, and at that moment all those EU regulations that you were so angry about for ages, they were put into UK law.
Speaker 3: That's right. And I had a bill that I introduced to the House that would.
Speaker 2: Have not really the government.
Speaker 3: Going back to your Today programmed days.
Speaker 2: Oh, I take that, miss ow.
Speaker 3: I had a bill that I introduced Apartment was going to get rid of six thousand EU regulations. And I'm sorry to say that Richie Souna when he came in bind it, which was a great mistake.
Speaker 4: The future.
Speaker 2: We've touched on this a bit about the parties.
Speaker 4: Yes, the parties.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think this kind of atomization. I'm not sure it's directly related to Brexit, but I think Brexit played a part in it because I actually think people who vote A lot of people who voted for Brexit are disappointed that that hasn't delivered a better life for them, beyond the symbolism and the flags and the sort of fake debate about sovereignty and so forth. So I think that what's happened is that they've done well. We did labor, we did the Tories, and then we did this big thing, and for millions and millions of people in this country, their lives are still pretty crap, and so they're they're looking around. And also I think that tribalism has broken down. Now you can argue that's a good thing or a bad thing, but people just I think we now have a generation below my generation, in fact, even below my kids' generation that is thinking I don't know, I don't I can shop around with, you know, just as they shop around on alevision just so they shop around for dates. You know you can do. You can just shop around and they're thinking in politics, I'm going to go and so I think we've got the the and the other thing that's happened. It's very interesting to me. Nisael Fragi used to be a big fan of proportional representation. Now in this atomized politics he's working out I could get there with twenty five.
Speaker 4: Think Jacob that he could be the next prime minister.
Speaker 3: Nigel Farat it's not impossible on the poling that he's achieving. I mean, I think John Curtis has said that that's not impossible.
Speaker 4: Who I greatly responded, you would you join him? Have you considered joining reform.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to join reform, but I hope that the generals and Reform.
Speaker 4: Will work together as in a formal pact.
Speaker 3: Is that what I'd like, just to have a pre election packed a coupon election and to work together. I think it could be very successful. I think that Reform would bring something to the Conservative Party, the charisma of Nigel Farage, but that the Conservatives have depth and policy making strength that Reform lacks, and Reform remains basically a one man band.
Speaker 1: And would you therefore be looking to him to do what to rip up the current and any agreements, any the current agreements with the EU and start again. That's what That's pretty much what he told me when he came on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I really agree with that that. I think that leave men leave, we are out. We should not be making new agreements. The neur asthma scheme is bonkersly expensive. It's five times the price of the Churing scheme. Really crazy to waste money in that way when we're short of money for defense.
Speaker 1: Alastair, the Bloomberg Economics, when they model different scenarios for the future, joining the Single Market for goods, joining the Customs Union, and having a series of Swiss style arrangements, none of them deliver a comparable boost of the economy compared to the assessment on how much has been lost to GDP. When you look at Keir Starmer and his two likely challenges, Wes Streeting and Andy Burnham. They've all these senior labor figures have got a slightly different position on the EU. How much does that disappoint you?
Speaker 2: They've got a slightly different positions.
Speaker 1: Slightly different position on how they feel about rejoining when they rejoin, whether they whether they want to have the debate now or not.
Speaker 2: Whether we're in a very very strange place. Because of course I guess I was the Prime minister west streeting is able to be much much more open and as I didn't realize that we wanted to sort of back in asap, but he's obviously decided that's his position. It all disappoints me, to be absolutely frank, because the thing that disappoints me most of all I genuinely worry if this labor government is not a success. I think our politics is going to a very dark place. You mentioned Europe in one of the trends around Europe is that, you know, the populist radical right is kind of on the march.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Jacob may think that's a good thing. I think it's a terribly dangerous thing. I think that what we've seen just in the last few days and exacerbated, sorry to mention your first interviewee again, exacerbated by the influence that Elon has on our sort of social media landscape. I think what we've seen in Belfast and in Southampton recently, that is to me, the politics of reform and restore. And one of the problems we have in the way that we talk about deal with these people. We treat them as kind of, you know, normal mainstream politicians. I don't believe that they are. I think they're extremists. I think they're dangerous. I think breaksit was a vehicle for them.
Speaker 3: I don't agree with that. I actually think we're very fortunate in this country that we don't have that type of extremist that has been rising on the continent. I think that Nigel Farage is within the normal bounds of British political life. I think our politics is actually pretty stable. Our electoral system works, our democracy works. It changed government when it thought a government had failed. That is a proper process, and so I'm more confident about the stability of our political service.
Speaker 4: Right, one last question to close.
Speaker 1: It's twenty thirty six and we are all gathered again to mark twenty years since for exit. What do you think the relationship with the EU will be then, Jacob.
Speaker 3: I think it will be a friendly third party relationship. I think you will no longer be hankering for us to return if it still exists, and that we will be thriving outside the class, the dead hand of EU regulation will have made trade deals globally. We've got the CTPPP, We've got so many opportunities globally, so I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the trade deals that were promised, they were a big part of the lies, and.
Speaker 3: They're not that happening.
Speaker 4: All of which we'd have the relationship in twenty thirty six.
Speaker 2: Well, the truth is, I don't know what do you hope for. What I hope for is what I described earlier Europe where.
Speaker 4: Having rejoined or some other kinds of.
Speaker 2: Joined, a totally different organization in which is possible, for example, to have different levels of membership, in which is possible for the Western Balkans to be in on one basis, for Ukraine to be on an the other, for the Turks to be part of very much of a defense alliance. But there's Europe part of European defense for the Norwegia and.
Speaker 4: Two very different missions.
Speaker 3: It's not happening. David Cameron couldn't get anything out of his renegotiation.
Speaker 4: Which a very different, a very different kind.
Speaker 2: Of twenty years. You have to look ahead, Jacob.
Speaker 3: Sixway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so from the here and now we're also looking into the future. I'm going to take a deep breath and very thankfully leave the stage now and thank you both very much. Indeed, Alastair Campbell and Jacob Rees-Mogg thank you.
Speaker 4: And that's where we left it.
Speaker 1: I really did need to breathe deeply afterwards, but Jacob and Alastair were fine with each other off stage and taking pictures for their socials before they left. If you're new to the show and enjoyed what you just heard, please do scroll back for other episodes because we go in depth every single time, from Gary Lineker on football and media, to David Dimbleby on UK politics and Anthony Scaramucci on the US. Plus, we have Steve Hilton coming up soon who wants to be governor of California, and so to the team. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlew. The video producer is Andy Hayward. Social media is by Alex Morgan, audio mixing by Richard Ward, our music is by Bart Warshaw, and the executive producer is Louisa Lewis. Special thanks for this live episode go to Susie Jackson, who looks after our subscriber events and at Bloomberg Weekend thanks to Brendan, Francis Newnham and our executive editor Katherine Bell, And until next time, goodbye,