Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now let me check your pulse if you're not. What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 2: And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going to everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield And on today's show, time to turn the page post haste.
Speaker 1: At long last, it is Jetsweek. The preview show moves up a day for us.
Speaker 2: Here we'll tell you about the critical matchups, a not so brief Jets introduction, storylines that pop and key to the game from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is.
Speaker 1: The Drive Time Podcast Jets Week.
Speaker 2: We talked about this on the post game show with Seth and OJ. Fans of this team don't like the Patriots, Bills and Jets. And if you're an old timer or approaching old timer like I am, then you also include the Indianapolis Colts in that equation. But as we previewed the Jets game, I told the fellas, there's just something about the Jets that takes my hatred for that team to a different stratosphere for me. I think it really went back to the Rex Ryan years, went to twelve on one the ten scale. I thought that they talked more than any team that hadn't accomplished anything and anybody else ever in National Football League history, I thought.
Speaker 1: I think now.
Speaker 2: Social media probably carries that torch these days, because especially this offseason, when the discourse among national pundits that the entire cognacenti chose the Jets over the Dolphins and their AFC wildcard picks. For the most part, everybody had Buffalo winning the AFC East. But then the Jets fans on Twitter talking about the Dolphins like they were also rams just did not sit well with me because now as we move on here and the Dolphins have dealt with their injuries and they lost Aaron Rodgers, but that rest of that roster has not carried their team the way you would think a good football team would, right, So it always stuck in my craw that way, and right now they're reeling jokes on them, but also the games on national TV, on a game that most people are going to watch as they're coming back from their shopping spreeze and setting in for another round of turkey Sandy's and firing up their prime accounts to watch some professional football. Who cares about some of these college games? You want to watch pro football every week. I want to blow a team out, but the smile that will be ingrained on my stupid face for the next nine days if we go up there and win a game thirty four to six. Have you guys seen the horror film Smile. I think it's a twenty twenty two vehicle, perhaps twenty twenty one. You know, it's basically the premise is the demon possesses your body and then you smile at people and that's how they kill you or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that would be me.
Speaker 2: I would be on the cover of the movie Smile, and it would actually probably go beyond the Commander's game providably win.
Speaker 1: That game, because I just love beating this team.
Speaker 2: I want that blowout to avenge Bart Scott's we're gonna put hot sauce on Reggie Bush and then actually trying to injure him in that game. Instead of Al Michael saying it's Jumbo Elliott, I want to hear he's got whill. I want to remake taking their quarterback and Chad Pennington going into their building and putting a bow on Brett Farre's one and done with the jest. So many great memories from this rivalry. Bye bye Ricky, Bye bye streak. But I think this spotlight game in a season that I think is going to be very special. I think this could be one of our favorite footnotes in the Dolphins and Jets rivalry. Let's go ahead and meet these guys real quick, and we always start at the quarterback position, where it just didn't pan out for this team in any sense, and in fact, it derailed their entire season. But I do want to make the point that the offense had plenty of issues outside of the quarterback position. In fact, somebody on Twitter wrote back to me I said that they think the offensive line is the bigger culprit for this Jets failure on offense. And I agree with the premise that the injuries and their production has been awful.
Speaker 1: But when I tell you.
Speaker 2: Going back to BYU, going back to cool Prows, Zach Wilson has never beat a team from the pocket in college, high school, in pros, and the retreating against rushers that are faster than you are, with cover guys that are faster than you are it's not gonna work, and it didn't work. It was I never had more conviction on a negative draft grade on a player than this guy, especially after watching him last season and for the Jets to bring him back as the backup guy and then to not make a move to go get somebody in four plays into your season. When you lose Aaron Rodgers, thanks, you know, I mean, you gave the keys to the franchise to a narcissistic, ego maniac quarterback who makes all the decisions for you. And I'm sure you guys have seen, you know, ghost of Adam Gayze on Twitter. My buddy, right, I don't even know his real name, but that's my guy. He posted a theory about Aaron Rodgers. He got that from me. We were having a conversation in DMS. That's my theory. If you watched Hard Knocks in the summer edition, you saw how Rogers is the owner, the GM, the head coach, and the quarterback of that team. Right, there was a moment on the sideline where Rogers had the headset on. Salah did to and Sawa said something kind of lightheartedly and Rogers like disagreed, and Sala immediately changed his position to agree with his quarterback, because Aaron Rodgers surrounds himself in his entire life with yes men. Why do you think they didn't get a quarterback after Rogers got injured? Why do you think they would do that, Brian Winhorse, Why would they do that? We couldn't have a new guy come in and spark the team and lead them to the postseason, right, Because if that happens and it takes Aaron Rodgers two or three games next September to get back to being the former version of himself, then you're gonna have Jets fans who are not hesitating at all to boo Rogers off the field and call for Josh Dobbs or not Joe Flacco. But you get the point, right, And that's something that his vanity would just simply not allow for so really, like Farv giving us Pennington was the best thing that happened to this franchise in the eight years post the Marino retirement, Rogers going to the Jets is maybe the next best thing the Jets have done for us because it caused them to sink another year of any defense. And if you've got time, go ahead and check out how often elite defenses in today's NFL, even in the century, sustain their production over the course of three years. You're lucky to get too, very lucky to get too top notch defensive performances, and back to back years. You almost never get three unless you're talking about like Baltimore two thousand, but even that was different era. Tampa Bay two thousand and two, that's also a different era. Seattle and the Oughts. That's about the closest you get to that, and the Niners are pretty good right now. But defense is hard to sustain. Right My friends listen to the show can confirm this. I've been saying it since well I'm not sure when exactly, but anyone that had eyeballs, that's most of you, and a baseline level of football knowledge. That's a majority of a minority of football watchers right on this podcast. Though that's not you because you listen to this podcast because you know ball, but casual watchers don't have that, right. But if you had those two things, you knew you knew it was so obvious. You knew that Zach Wilson was not capable of leading an NFL offense.
Speaker 1: It was so obvious.
Speaker 2: That's why I like these Jets debates on Twitter about whose fault it is blow my mind because yeah, the offensive line's bad. Yeah, Rogers' personal wide receiving room is not that great. Yeah the running backs Dalvin Cook was slow last year. Surprise, surprise, he's slow this year. They had those debates, and I'm thinking to myself, all those are true, but it doesn't take a PhD to figure out what the true issue here is in this offense. It's honestly a perfect litmus test for who has a clue with football and who does not. Because people that think that a no look past here and there or a cool, you know, frozen rope shot.
Speaker 1: From the far hash, they think that that is the talent.
Speaker 2: The talent that wins is understanding coverage and having to play with pace and rhythm and attacking those coverages with concepts that you understand from your own offense. That's winning quarterback play. And he has never, once, not one time, shown a proclivity to do that. And you guys know what happens to a team with a top five defense and a bottom five offense. You lived it for years. Maybe not quite those extremes in terms of top and bottom five. But you've seen Dolphins teams that had really good defense and really bad offense, and what happens annually to those teams, the defense wears down. I said that was coming for this Jets team. I hoped it would happen before this game, and it happened the game before this game Sunday in Buffalo. Effort was down, the Levy broke these guys.
Speaker 1: They kind of quit on that game.
Speaker 2: You could see Sauce guard or jogging after a catch that he allowed for eighty one yards to the house, like kind of like Bake did on the Christian Wilkins play on Sunday.
Speaker 1: They meled it in.
Speaker 2: You think they want to get up on a short week against a vastly superior team. I promise you there's a handful of players that will go into that game, play in that game, just hoping to get back to their families on Friday night.
Speaker 1: So that's my diet tribe.
Speaker 2: The current status of the Jets story really starts in week fifteen of twenty twenty and thirteen three oh and thirteen outfit on the fast track to pick first in a draft class that had Trevor Lawrence the Golden Boy right The Jets have the ball at their own thirty seven yard line with three point fifty four to play, nursing a twenty three to twenty lead over the Los Angeles Rams. They go Gore for three, Gore for eight, first down, Gore for four, Gore for no gain, third and six, dump off to Frank Gore breaks two tackles and gets to the first down marker. They go into victory formation. They won the next week as well, but they already had taken themselves off the first pick of the draft with that victory and that game. Right there is the difference between pick number one and pick number two and Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson.
Speaker 1: Lucky right, Dolphins fans.
Speaker 2: I also had Justin Fields comfortably as my number two quarterback, and I believe that if they built the infrastructure offensively that he could work with, then you know, Matt, maybe he's even Matt Lafleur, I don't know. I think that he would have been a perfect compliment his skill, in his style to that team. You have a running quarterback with a good defense and a good running back like Lamar Jackson Russell Wilson, like it's that's happened for a lot of successful teams. I think we'd be in real trouble. Not in trouble, but we would have a real fight for the division on our hands right now. If Justin Fields was a quarterback of the New York Jets, but they Joe Zach Wilson and now he's QB three after they stayed with.
Speaker 1: Him for ten games? Ten what were you doing?
Speaker 2: And of four and six, Mark, they won four of those games? Hell, they beat the Eagles. How I got no friggin clue, man, I mean I watched that again. I saw but like I would take the Eagles ninety nine times out of one hundred in that situation.
Speaker 1: But thanks in large part to a very good defense.
Speaker 2: Right offensively historic levels of bad bro, twenty two point nine percent third down conversion rate would be the lowest.
Speaker 1: In the sty E Jusey of.
Speaker 2: The National Football League if it ends that way, and it probably is going to, because guess what, Tim Boyle is not any better Bro. However, the draft capital they accumulated through some great trades Jamal Adams, Jewe Doolan, Seahawks Jude Doom helped them have one of the best draft classes we've ever seen. Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, and Breese Hall all from twenty twenty two is right up there with Jaylen Waddell, Jalen Phillips, and Javon Holland. They built a top flight defense using a combination of the draft and free agency. Like in free agency DJ Reed, CJ. Moseley, Quincy Williams, and then in the draft with Michael Carter, Bryce Huff, Michael Carter the second off the running back. They cut Quinn Williams, one of the best in the league, John Frankly Myers in the draft. All those guys have been fantastic for them. It's just been the complete opposite on offense. And I have very little doubt that Mackai Becton would be a Pro Bowl caliber player if his health did not betray him annually just got Carter off versus Buffalo. But luckily for him and I'm brutin for the kid, just won the two weeks for his injury, so he'll miss this game, but he'll be back this year for the Jets.
Speaker 1: Hopefully.
Speaker 2: They signed Lake and Thomas into a big deal and outside of that San Francisco system, it's been a disaster. It's at least he's available, I guess, but it's not been good. I think this year's second round pick, Joe Tipman is going to be a beast. He's very athletic center in the pivot. Vera Tucker is a great player, but he's also in his second straight year of season ending ir But Ben, it's been a lot of patchwork. They signed Dwayne Brown, who's a million years old, who's had his own health issues. They brought in Billy Turner, who's been in fourteen camps since last year. Seems like Dennis Kelly was in season free agent signing as well. They signed Dalvin Cook to par with Breeze Hall. He averages three point three yards per carry and the lowest yards above expected.
Speaker 1: In the next gen stats in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I think it just shows you how difficult it is to execute the rebuild even when you have all the resources. And look, Rodgers returns next year, maybe they have better injury luck. Maybe he brings over another buddy of his and this time it's actually a good player in Devonte Adams.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 2: My point is a couple of bad breaks can set the whole thing off course, and it happened for the Jets, and now they're going to rely on a forty year old quarterback coming off an achilles surgery to lead them back to the Promised Land next year with a pick in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 1: Most likely. We'll see, we'll see. But I love that. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Because I dislike this team nearly as much as I love my Miami Dolphins. To put a bow on the Jets introduction here before we get to storylines, It's a good thing that Joe Douglass had that twenty twenty two class right, because twenty twenty one Zach Wilson, to me is the biggest bust in NFL history with all you had on the line right there and the quarterbacks you had available to you. He is right next JaMarcus Russell, and I'm taking him because at least Russell, you know what, never mind, Yeah, it's very close, but I'm taking Wilson as a bigger bust vera Tucker second straight year on season ending, ir that's just bad luck, Elijah Moore if they traded him away for pennies, Michael Carter, you cut him for what, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Dalvin cook, Baby, that's weird.
Speaker 2: He did find Michael Carter, the second their slot cornerback, who was very good in this draft, so that was the one saving grace there. But twenty twenty, McKai Becton hasn't finished a season yet, and this year he might if he comes back. I wrote that down before I saw the news on him. Marvin Mims he got cut pretty quickly. Ashton Davis is the fourth safety on the roster. But I loved his game, so I will not talk badly about that because I was wrong too. Jabari's and Ninga remember he had like a crazy bad workout or something like that, and he dropped all the way to the third round. They still drafted him and he got cut like the next year, the next season, and then with five Day three picks, only one is still around their cornerback for Bryce Hall. So yeah, that's what bad drafting looks like for all you weirdo Greer haters up there. Let's go ahead and get to the storylines for this game. First ever Black Friday game, and I keep hearing people ask because anybody who played on Friday before, Yeah, it's happened a lot. Actually, In fact, Dolphins fans. You should know this. Two thousand and five, and I'm weird. I remember these dates like Mike McDaniel does. Two thousand and five, there was a hurricane in town and they pushed the game up to Friday night, and I'll never forget following the game on my like flip one of those like flip phones on the Little Dots game cast against the Kansas City Chiefs. Fronnie Briden had like a sixty five yard touchdown run, but we lost by like two touchdowns. It was a bad game. But it's not the first ara of Black Friday or not. It's the first ever Black Friday game. It's not the first Friday game. But short week on the road is always going to be a test. That's the biggest obstacle. I think this week you're most likely just walking through. They'll have one practice this week. Coaching matters even more in these games, so a big test for McDaniel, Fangio and the entire staff. I am curious to see what the environment's like. I know what it will look like. If they were six and four, it would be tough. But these last two losses, the quarterback change a holiday, I wonder what the crowd noise situation is going to be like up there. In fact, let's go ahead and check out the weather report. I think it's supposed to be like forty five degrees. Sorry, I'm doing this live, guys. My apologies East Rutherford on Thursday. Oh nice, the rain subsides by Thursday. But yeah, it's forty two low, fifty two high. So yeah, right around forty five degrees. It's that's a little chilly, but they'll be all right. Next story line two of versus the Jets. He's only two an ONUS career.
Speaker 1: Against the Jets.
Speaker 2: Didn't play him last year, missed both games with injuries. Didn't play him in twenty twenty because he was not the starter in the Fitzpatrick first game and the second game Flores held him out even though you can play to start Ryan Fitzpatrick. And he won that game twenty two through twenty to nothing, twenty three nothing I forget. But anyway, so he's two years of his career. Did not play a game against a division rival, so he's two to zero. It was a sweep in twenty twenty one, and I thought his best game that year, Pampa game was pretty good. But I thought the way he can, you know he can torn it himself against the Jets in that road game was really impressive.
Speaker 1: So two against the Jets.
Speaker 2: You beat Scott Thompson last year and you lost to him at the end of the year, So you're playing a real QB one this week. Jets State of the Jets Man Players Only meeting last week. JJ Watt came out and said after the Buffalo Players Only meeting that you might as well start making your vacation plans because it's over.
Speaker 1: Once you do that.
Speaker 2: Then they have that showing on Sunday that would really challenge your team metal I would have to think. I'm curious to see how they try to overcome that. I'm curious how the defense respawns. It got bad late in that game. Man, that long touchdown blacked effort and pursuit after the ball carrier. And we've seen it happen when great defenses wear down after being asked to consistently go out there after offensive three and now offensive right now, over and over, go get more stops. It is challenging. It wears you down. They held up as one of the top defenses in the NFL through the first nine games, then the Levy snapped right. I am very, very very curious to see what the Jets look like in this game. I'm inclined to think it will be bad. I think their performance here will dictate what this team is in the final seven games and ultimately decide if Robert Salah gets another year. I think Joe Douglas already has a very tough, uphill battle to come back next year. Too many bad drafts, too much Aaron Rodgers GMing going on there to survive that.
Speaker 1: But I think the Jets could be.
Speaker 2: In one of these states of total catatonia in this game.
Speaker 1: On the road again.
Speaker 2: Final note here, we've only played three road games since Week two, and we lost them all, damn it. I would argue that they are the three toughest teams or venues to play against, and in the Bills, I'm still convinced that was the best single performance in a game this year by any team in the NFL. And then at Eagles and then at Germany in a crowd of mostly Chiefs fans. Those are tough asks. You won convincingly in your Week two road game. Week one was back and forth, and that was a different game because our defense wasn't what it is right now, but we had the explosive offense. But two and zero on the road, can we get back in the win column there? And I would love to see a clean operation, no wasted timeout, it's no false starts, no pre snap stuff. Just be clean on the road and you should have success in this game. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side and talk Dolphins offense first Jets defense. That's next Drive Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by I don't Know, Segment two on.
Speaker 1: A Tuesday preview edition of the Drive Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like Wednesday is a little bit too early to do my previews, but we're already pot committed and Tuesday feels like it's way too early, even though the game's on Friday.
Speaker 1: But here we are. We're sticking with the schedule.
Speaker 2: We're talking about Dolphins and Jets Friday from the Meadowlands, three o'clock kickoff on Amazon Prime and a potential.
Speaker 1: Very fun day for Dolphins fans.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and meet the Jets defense, who lines up like this at the safety position defending against two A tongue Bai Lowa. Jordan Whitehead plays every snap for them. They lost his running mate Tony Adams this week was injured against Buffalo, and so Adrian Amos, a guy they signed in training camp when Chuck Clark, who was signed to start for them, had a season ending injury.
Speaker 1: So Amos, more.
Speaker 2: Of a nickel safety in his career, will be the starter on Sunday. It seems like every week we play a team that has a safety who's down, which is nice for a team that has such a good passing offense. And then Ashton Davis thirteen percent of the snaps as well at the cornerback position. This is where they are best in their entire football team. Sauce plays eighty nine percent, DJ Reid plays eighty percent, and then Bryce Hall has played twenty percent. Also on the edge inside the guys against the Barrioses of the world, Durham Spice of the world is Michael Carter the second sixty three percent of the snaps and Brandon Eckles has played thirteen percent. If you add those up, it equals their entire nickel defense basically, so there's your two guys that have played pretty much every snap of every game when they're in that nickel package. And then up front it's pretty good too. Quinton Williams is just a beast seventy percent of the snaps. John Franklin Myers is also a beast fifty nine percent of the snaps. Quentin Jefferson's played fifty percent, and then Solomon Thomas has paid thirty six percent of the snaps. It's good, it's deep, it's strong, it's aggressive, it's one gap penetrate.
Speaker 1: Get up field with your hair on fire.
Speaker 2: And off the edge, Jermaine Johnson has clicked for them man sixty five percent of the snaps off the edge. He's a really good pass rusher, so is Bryce Huff and Jets fans have been calling for him for years. He finally is getting a chance this year thirty eight percent of the snap count. He is the team leader in QB pressures. And then Michael Clemens, a guy that I think is also a good player thirty percent of the snaps off the edge. At linebacker going up against our running backs is CJ. Moseley, who does not leave the field every single snap. And then Quincy Williams has really blossomed into a good player for them. So I mentioned the injuries at safety's there. Michael Carter missed the Buffalo game. He's like, it's a big drop off from him to the rest of their slot cover guys, so if he can't go.
Speaker 1: That would be a very, very big deal.
Speaker 2: He was added to their injury report on Friday with the hamstring, so you know hamstrings can be tricky. We didn't know how long Rob Hunt be out. He's missed now the Chiefs game, the bye week, and the Raider games, so three weeks off for Rob Hunt. It's even if he comes back, Like, how healthy's going to be to cover guys that run four two?
Speaker 1: I'd be curious about that.
Speaker 2: So Brandon Eckles is his replacement, and then nose tackle Al Woods on that very good front. He is out for the year as well. But outside of that, defense is mostly healthy. Their personnel usage. They run their base defenses twelve percent of the time. Three to four is seven percent, four to three is five percent, But they're in nickel eighty five percent of the time. They almost always stay in that package, and it's because their top three cornerbacks are probably three of their best players in the entire team. I would say that Gardner, Reed and Carter is the number two cornerback trio for me behind Ramsey X and Coho. The scheme is a lot like what you get here what you got in San Francisco. I should say where Sla cut his teeth as a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: There his hair on fire.
Speaker 2: Get up field, disrupt that one gap penetration technique that you play. It's tight physical coverage on the perimeter and two tone setting very fluid off ball linebackers who just they play with depth, they play with width, they played downhill, they play fast. They will stand those two high structures and passing situations. Obviously every team does, but they want to play in that and will adjust if they have to. And that's why I think it's important that Miami makes them do that, make them get out of their their you know they're too high look and force them to bring somebody down to play the run extra hat in the bucks. I think it's important for this Dolphins offense, not just in this game, but for the rest of the year, to get the perimeter run game going. Make those corners tackle. Sauce doesn't want to tackle. DJ reads pretty good at but Sauce doesn't want to tackle, make that one gap rush, hesitate, just one step.
Speaker 1: That's all you need.
Speaker 2: If you do that, you'll have lots of success. And then the game up there last year and the game down here for that matter, Miami got the ball on the edges effectively in both those games. It allowed Miami to sustain drives while working with your third string quarterback right in his first action in the Jets game and then late in the year when he came back off the bench for Teddy Bridgewater after the Patriots game and that season finale. So I know the game last year, it was forty to seventeen. It looked like a blowout, but the Dolphins were kicking a field goal in the fourth quarter potentially take a lead.
Speaker 1: We missed it because it was fifty plus. We did to miss those.
Speaker 2: But after that the wheels fell off right, and that was after a Tanner Connor drop pass. Want to puts you first and ten, just on the edge of the red zone to maybe score a touchdown, go by five points at that point in the game. So that's that's where I think Tua is kind of like your ace, like your pitcher, your stopper in a pitching rotation, like we're on a losing streak here. Put you know, Felix Hernanda's in the game, let's go ahead and get sselfs to w here.
Speaker 1: Tua makes great decisions.
Speaker 2: I would like to see him going a run here against some of these teams were coming up against of cleaning up that one bad decision per game that he averages, which is honestly about most quarterbacks that are at his peak will have one bad decision per game like that.
Speaker 1: But strive for perfection. Wind up among excellence.
Speaker 2: Right. I think you get the perimeterive run game going, you get your horn Hanald stretch game going, and then that allows these speedy wide receivers to find softer spots.
Speaker 1: And for two, it turns back to the defense.
Speaker 2: Get back and whip his head back around and make those quick decisions with a pass rush that has been held at bay because of the way you've attacked them off the edges there. I'm very, very excited about Waddle and Hill versus Reed and Sauce.
Speaker 1: I want to win that matchup badly. First time.
Speaker 2: We get that with two at the controls, right, and I thought there were some changes narrow misses and the two contests last year that you hope that two of being in the lineup changes a little bit, right, it should. The Jets play sixty eight percent zone and thirty percent man, and that's actually a top ten man rate in the NFL. Everyone plays zone these days, but I think that zone rate should increase against this Dolphins team. I don't think you want to run man coverage against this team. I think the Jets will want to generate pressure with four and get their backers into those hooks, those deep hook and deep curl flat zones and make Miami push the ball to the perimeter. So attacking the edge is not just a run game focal point for me this week. It's a passing game idea too. In fact, some splits that tell that story. Buffalo ran why off either tackle last week nineteen times for seventy five yards? That will go a long way if you can get that production, and then you know, if you have one more run that pops like a fifty yard or all of a sudden like that changes the entire game. Right, and Raheem Moster and Devon a Chan if he plays both very capable of that. Vegas the week before sixteen for fifty seven. Not crazy. It's still better than four yards of pop, right, is it? I don't know math fifteen thirty two for no, it's just under four yards of pop. But you can see that's where teams have had their success. Both Vegas and Buffalo had the less than thirty percent success right run of the football inside against this very stout interior defense of the Jets. As far as the passing game, O'Connell went seven for ten for ninety two yards and a touchdown throwing the ball outside the numbers against this Jets defense. Josh Allen last week was eleven for fifteen with eighty five yards, and both of his touchdowns came on throwing the ball outside the numbers. I think you can get that with your matchups I e. Waddle and Barrios on those speedouts if Bracs can go. Of course, those longer developing over routes cont will be missed for the pick against the Raiders in that game. Working off the play pass and those, you know, you kind of stretch the roof of the defense then sneak that over out in their underneath vacated coverage. I love those concepts. We can get them cranking and if you get your run game going. You can get to those plays, of course, the comebacks and deep outs to Tyreek, and then of course the screen game. The key names to focus on here for the Jets, Bryce Huff will rush the majority of the time against Tarron Armstead.
Speaker 1: He leads the Jets with forty.
Speaker 2: Eight QB pressures. He's been very, very good, very explosive player, high motor. But of course I like t set against anybody, so that's a matchup for us to win. I think John Franklin Myers does a lot of his work off those three, four and five technique positions, a heavy end, heavy handed. Hopefully Rob Hunt is ready to roll, because I talked about on the All twenty two podcast. Guard was an issue on Sunday. I like it when Rob and Austin can deal with you know, JFM and the rest of the boys they have up there who want to reset the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Quinn Williams has thirty nine pressures.
Speaker 2: Connor is coming off his best game, but if you go over his career, and this is for most like lighter centers in the National Football League, playing against these biggest and best defensive tackles is usually a challenge, especially in pass pro, Like they're gonna get their stats because they are Aaron Donald, because they are Quinn Williams, because they are Jeffrey Simmons like, and you know he's gonna have these guys the next four weeks now, Quinn Williams, next week, Debron Payton, Jonathan Allen, then Jeffrey Simmons and then Quinn Williams again. So it's gonna be a run of good dtackles here for Connor Williams.
Speaker 1: But he's played really well.
Speaker 2: Best game last week, I thought as a Dolphin and it's a key matchup, but of course you have helped there with both guards. And then Quincy Williams and CJ. Mosley are two guys that I think worry me the most in this entire team because they are instinctive players who can wind up in places they're not supposed to be, kind of like Robert Splain last week, with tremendous speed to all fields like downhill sidelines, getting depth. That's why I think it's imperative to get them moving side to side to the mixture passing game from the inside out stretch it wide stretch at verdegt or horizontally space them out and then hit those you know, timing routes over the middle. Raheem is great at doing this at those guys out with speed, but also having the vision to get certain gaps and catching the football and the perimeter. And then Devon Hen obviously hopefully we have him for the same reasons. Also, I think we're gonna cook sauce. Sauce is gonna be cooking up his own sauce in this game. He's too grabby. Use our motion. Maybe they do a little bit less study this week as they are in f it mode, Like that's kind of how I think they're gonna come out, get our motion, going test their communication and their will and how much they actually put into game planning this week on a short week, and get some clean releases to get explosives and get flags. My prediction here is we see two field flipping flags against an aggressive Jets secondary. This is the real premier side of the matchup.
Speaker 1: Good on good here.
Speaker 2: Jets top ten and most defensive categories, Dolphins number one in most offensive categories. But the Miami defense has been stifling as of late. How do they keep it rolling against the Jets. Well, that's next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you.
Speaker 1: By I Dontation.
Speaker 2: Dolphins defense versus Jets offense on a Tuesday preview edition of the Draft Time Podcast. Tim boy Timmy Liam McPoyle mcboyle won't be starting the game for the Jets against the Dolphins safety trio or really due at this point of Holland and Elliott, their receivers Garrett Wilson ninety two percent, Alan Lazard eighty one percent. They'll go up against Ramsey and Howard, and then on the inside co who's gonna get Xavier Gibson who plays thirty one percent of the snaps and the tight ends Tyler Conklin and cj Usama sixty nine and thirty eight percent of the snaps respectively. Their offensive line is gonna go like this. Carter Warren is a rookie left tackle, play his first action on Sunday against the Bills. Lake and Thomasin's left guard, Joe Tipman's the center, The right guard is Chris Glasser, who the right.
Speaker 1: Tackle is Max Mitchell. So that's who we have to deal with.
Speaker 2: The offensive line is akin to how our cornerback position was a year ago.
Speaker 1: Here's who is out.
Speaker 2: Makai Becton was finally having a good year, but he's gonna miss the game. He moved back to left tackle to replace the injured Dwayne Brown, so technically on their third tackle. Their best offensive lineman, Elijah Vera Teker's out for the year. His replacement was Wes Schweitzer. He's out for the year. Connor McGovern is also on ir He was the starting center on opening day and was playing some guard in place of some other injured players to get rookie Joe Tipman into the lineup. Billy Turner, you guys remember him, he was an in season signing. He missed the last game with an injury, and Austin Declis was also inactive for the Buffalo game, so look a change had to happen at quarterback right. This offense was again historically bad statistically, but the offensive line attrition plays a big part of that. They lined up with a rookie third round pick, Carter Warren last week. He should started the game against US here, and then Chris Glasser is a UDFA from twenty twenty two on his fourth team in one and a half years. Tipman the second round draft pick Thomainson, a big free agent acquisition who has not worked out, and then Max Mitchell was a fourth round pick last year who has not played that well. You're just not going to develop continuity with that many injuries, and most teams don't even have five quality players in this position group, so to expect them to get any production from guys like eight, nine and ten is asking a whole heck of a lot. They're down to backups at just about every position. It's tough to make a living that way. Personnel usage eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three receivers is two thirds of their offense sixty six percent. They run two tight ends sixteen percent of the time. That's twelve personnel. They go thirteen personnel nineteen percent of the time, So that's that might be a little bit more new recently, and I think they might see more of that going into this game with the offensive line issues, maybe some more two man route combos and max protection. And they also run twenty one personnel six point seven percent of the time, but that has gone down because it was a lot of haul and cook early on, but now cook doesn't play.
Speaker 1: Much because it was cooked.
Speaker 2: I think we keep this brief because I don't know what it looks like with Tim Boyle here man like he's barely played and there's not enough tape to really see scheme tendencies, especially considering his only action with the Jets was like in the you know, garbage time last week, I covered a lot of the offensive line actrician already in the offense. In general, I found this hilarious though, a quote from Boyle on what he brings to the team. Here's a quote from the athletic decisiveness is a part of my game that I lean on. Just trying to get the ball out, not forcing things into coverage. There's a part of the game where taking a sack is better than trying to jam it into coverage and throwing an interception. So I think I bring I just get the ball out quick. It takes a lot of heat off the offensive line, It gets our playmakers the ball in space. We have some guys that can make some people miss. So like, even his own assessment of his own game is confusing, like do you eat sacks because they're better than picks, which sounds like Zach Wilson, Or do you get it out fast? And getting the ball out quick. Without a real run game and no real threat of a vertical game. I think Miami crowds the line of scrimmage and makes life very, very tough on him. It has just been a slog for this group for all those reasons. Quarterback play has been atrocious, the worst we've ever seen. The skill group hasn't had anyone step up beyond the star of the group and Garrett Wilson, and he has injuries, and the offensive line injuries have been insurmountable. So they turned Tim Boyle in hopes of turning these trends around right. They scored a single touchdown in their last forty six possessions. That was a touchdown and a lop sided game in Buffalo on Sunday, and it was already sixteen nothing at that point in the second half. The touchdown was their first on a drive that started in their own territory since Week five. Guys, it's week twelve, two months, and that was a one play drive of seventy two yards a run by Breeze Hall that went to the house. Since then, they have four drives that scored touchdowns on sixty six drives. It was a seventy two yard run from Breeze Hall, a one play drive that was an eight yard touchdown run after a turnover in the Philly game that again was Breeze Hall, a fifty yard pass from Zach Wilson, a check down to Breese Hall that he took the rest of the way, and then an eleven play drive in Buffalo for eighty four yards and a touchdown. So, spoiler, two of your keys to victory are right there. Tackle Breeze Hall and do not give them a short field by turning the football over. Some more final notes and numbers here. That left tackle I mentioned the rookie has a ninety pass block efficiency that is eight points below what you want to be. It's not good. Tomlinson ninety five to five. That is three points below where you should be at left guard. Tipman ninety eight point one. Pretty good. Most centers are above that pretty good. Glasser ninety six point one that is two points below where you want to be. And then Max Mitchell ninety five two. That's just all three points below where you want to be.
Speaker 1: Like it's bad.
Speaker 2: Jalen Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Andrew Vank, pick your guy. All these guys have four plus sex, they're gonna add to that toll. I we'll come back to that. Garrett Wilson is dealing with an elbow injury, but he toughed it out last week. But he had a rough game, and I wonder how much of that had to do with the elbow. Two catches, nine yards and a lost fumble. He's now lost a fumble each of the last two weeks, and they both occurred.
Speaker 1: After the injury happened. What do you know.
Speaker 2: We've explained the importance of Breece Tyler Conkin's made some plays as well, But for me, there just isn't a bad route to take here because x Or Ramsey can lock down Lazard co who can absolutely lock down Gibson. But I wonder if that's where you help since I love Ramsey on Wilson also, but I think in just real quick x his play style always shuts down a player like Alan Lazard. But I think the smartest play is help wherever Will goes, like when he changes sides to the field. Just stay where you are, help on that side, and then just dominate all your one on ones that you have vastly, vastly superior players at I think we come out of this game with multiple takeaways I mentioned I come back to the sack production. I think five plus sacks. I think they shut the offense out. That's my call. What's at stake, big, big game, man. It's always important to win divisional games, especially on the road. This would give us a two to one divisional mark in the road this year. We did it in twenty twenty one, I sent a tweet out that was wrong and deleted Dick, I'm a freaking idiot. The last time before that was twenty sixteen. It was the last time we won double digit games and made the playoffs in the same year, So go figure. The playoff leverage scale says similar importance. And even though ESPN Analytics has Miami right now at ninety seven percent to make the playoffs, that's because the expected wins are baked into that and that includes this game. But going off the Great Summer Sports Leverage Scale, a win vault Miami into ninety percent, while I lost keeps them right around seventy five percent, So a pretty big sliding scale, or fifteen percent. If Miami holds Serve in the division and then wins just one game between Washington, Tennessee, Dallas and Baltimore the other four games on the schedule. They win the division at a four and three finish where you beat the Jets twice and the Bills Miami would have an eleven and six record and a five and one divisional record with is split against the Bills Buffalo by virtue of the loss to us, we then have six losses minimum and would be three and three in the division, and we win the tiebreaker. But of course we have bigger sights, so that's kind of relevant right now. The AFC division leaders have the following conference records. This is where my mind is focused more than Buffalo Bills. They're already in the rearview mirror to me, never look back at those guys. Baltimore's eight and three, Case, Jacksonville, Miami are all seven and three as far as conference records. Baltimore's five and three, Case's five and one, but they own the head to head tie breakers, so this is irrelevant here. You must have a better record than Case. You also can beat Baltimore in week eighteen to get yourself a better record there. But Jacksonville's also five and two in conference, which means We're going to have to rely on tie breakers if it comes down to that, because we do not play them head to head this year. This is also fun, totally irrelevant. If we win the game, we'll own the one seed going into play on Sunday, but a win by KC over Vegas, or a win by Baltimore over the Chargers or a win by Jacksonville over Houston takes that spot right back away. But of course a loss by any of those teams would bump us up one spot in the AFC seeding. Makes sense, so a big game. Gotta win these ones down the stretch. Hopefully we run the table. I think we can, but truthfully, if we were to drop one of the games, the best ones would be Washington or Dallas because their NFC games keep winning all the games, but especially the conference games. My key's to victory. We heard them already tackle Breeze Hall. We spelled it out for you guys. They've scored when he gets going for explosive plays. Otherwise they don't score. He has three hundred and eighty yards of his five to forty four are after initial contact, and he's forced twenty one missed tackles. He's forced twelve more on his thirty one catches. Get him to the ground, and their offense goes nowhere. Protect the football is number two again. To that point, the Jets have done a good job capitalizing on short fields, but long fields means they cannot score touchdowns. Don't make it easy on that. Don't turn the ball over. You're gonna win this game. It's that simple number three attack the edges of the Jets defense. Winning the edge and the running game keeps us ahead of the chains. It neutralizes their pass rush and their heavy flooding of the middle of the football field zones opens up chances outside. When outside the numbers win the game. Areas of concern protect toua in true dropback situations. Just keep too a healthy. We should be okay. Those middle of the field players getting hands on football is also a little bit of a concern. They're areas to exploit literally every single matchup when they have the football. Then on our offense, aggressiveness of their corners and the perimeter running game and passing game.
Speaker 1: My prediction. You know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I told myself I wasn't gonna dive into the lopside and margin game again. But then I thought to myself, look, look at everything you just said, Like, I don't think the Jets find points in this game. Maybe maybe a cheap field goal or two on a short field. I am certain they're not finding the paint, so maybe maybe six points tops. But I am a little concerned about the Miami offense right now. Not because I don't think they can do it, because I think the injuries on the interior line have drafts change their ability to run the football and protect in true drop back situations. But then also like, are you going to let one awful predictions sway your confidence?
Speaker 1: Shooters? Keep shooting right.
Speaker 2: The only two games I woefully missed this year We're Buffalo and last week. I got the result right last week, But man, I felt like I was way off having the pulse of this team and that Raiders team. I think a lot of short fields, a lot of possessions. I think multiple takeaways Dolphins thirty, Jets zero. I think we get the outside running game cranking a lot better than last week. I think we hit some explosive plays, some big penalties as well, have more punts than I like, but put together two full length drives for six score once on defense, score on a short field, kick, a field goal or safety, something like that. Thirty nothing. That's the game. That's the prediction. That's the podcast today. We'll come back tomorrow with the great Ryan Fitzpatrick on the show breaking down this game well, also picked the games and here from assistant coaches and heading to a game on Friday. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, on Spotify, wherever you get your podcast from going Ahad and Lewis are rating.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on social at Winkle NFL, the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for media Availabilities and Dolphins Today and my Bradley Chubb breakdown.
Speaker 1: Go check it out.
Speaker 2: And last button, not least Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, fins up, Come on camera, Daddy
Speaker 1: He's coming home.