Speaker 1: Hey, handbook heads, it's haz well. I went and did it again. I went and started a local news company. Will I ever learn? It's called La Material. We've got a new podcast. It's called La World. We take three big stories from what's going on that week in LA and we pick them apart, we explain them to you. It's a fun show. I decided to drop it in here for you to listen to because I thought you might enjoy it. And also because when we launched, we were in the top two hundred news podcast for one second, and I gotta get back in there. You know how important that is to me. And so this is an excerpt from the show, talking about sports. We're talking about the Lakers and the Dodgers and financial alleged crimes. I hope you listen to it. I hope you subscribe to LA World, even if you don't live in La. We all love stories. Give it a chance. I think you'll like it a lot. Thank you so much, always appreciate all your support all these many years. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is LA World. Hey sports sports man, oh man, is it ever sports today? So this story is about the Lakers and the Dodgers, two of maybe the five most important teams in American sports and obviously in the cultural map of la Like there's nothing bigger than these two teams. Until last week, they were functionally owned by the same guy, Mark Walter, a nuclearly boring businessman, but he's from Chicago, and until last week he owned a controlling share of both teams. He bought the Dodgers in twenty twelve and the Lakers just last year, in twenty twenty five. But Mark Walter got less boring a few weeks ago when it was reported that his business empire was being investigated by the federal government. What for, let's lock in well, I explained, intricate financial complexities, no hitting the fifteen second back button. So, in addition to sports teams and other businesses, Mark Walter owns two insurance companies. Those insurance companies are called Delaware Life and Clear Spring. Walter's business empires under the Gougenheim umbrella. It owns two insurance companies. Insurance companies sit on a ton of money. Millions of policy holders are making their payments. They usually don't get their money back for a long time. These insurance companies specialize in annuities, which are basically retirement funds. So in the meantime they have Scrooge McDuck coinpool of policy holder money that they're just sitting on. So what do they do with that money? They invest it. That is how these companies make money. Sometimes they invest in other companies under the same ownership umbrella, basically distributing loans around the business, and that is pretty normal. These are called related party transactions. They're just supposed to be reported because investors need to know if if too much risk is being gathered under one umbrella empires fall. You want your risk to be, you know, distributed across multiple places. And the companies have been reporting that a small percentage of their loans, their investments were to these related parties, three to five percent. They were saying, we're going to Mark Walter related businesses. Then the federal government starts looking into this and the insurance companies report that oops, they say the related party transactions were actually more like forty or fifty.
Speaker 2: Percent, a lot bigger than there.
Speaker 1: That's a lot bigger than three to five percent. In the case of one of these companies, half of their investments, we're going out to other businesses in the Walter universe. So in total, about twenty billion dollars worth of policyholder money going out to other businesses and market Walter's orbit that were incorrectly reported as being loans to unrelated companies and kind of funneled through SPV special purpose vehicles companies that only are propped up to pass this money through to other Walter companies. Okay, this was part of a larger investigation, the result of a larger investigation that also involved the FEDS raiding a private plane in twenty twenty five taking Mark Walter's phone, also taking give me that, Give me that. They also took the phone of the president of his company, Goggenheim Investments, on the same day. This is not boring. This guy suddenly is becoming a very intriguing figure. Then it was announced last week that Mark Walter decided to sell the Lakers, the team that he had bought one year earlier at a ten billion dollar valuation. Now he's selling it to Bob Eiger and Josh Kushner at a twelve and a half billion dollar valuation. So now people are really starting to poured on this federal investigation. It used to email people are what's going on? You know, some like financial thing. Is this really a big deal? Selling the Lakers after one year like implies that this is pretty serious, And there is a lot of speculation that the sale was to free up assets in Walter's business, especially that it's it's been reported that Walter is going around trying to scrounge together some money to cover these loans that he made from his insurance companies. So before we launched this podcast last week, we recorded a few dry run episodes where we actually we dug into stories, we talked about them as if we were doing a real podcast, and we talked with each other to kind of test this format and make sure that the cameras worked or whatever, which they didn't a lot of a lot of time. You are my witnesses that I did a segment about out the investigation into Mark Walter weeks before weeks he sold the Lakers, And if we had launched a few weeks earlier, I could have looked pretty smart. You could have really put one over, ignoring the fact that in that test episode you Julia asked me how this could affect the Dodgers and Lakers, and I said not probably not much.
Speaker 3: We could have cut it before that, that's true.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to get infinite chances to look smart of this thing. So today we are getting ahead of this story and we're going to talk about how this could touch the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'd almost forgotten about the Dodgers at this point.
Speaker 1: And he still owns a team. Mark Walter still has the controlling share in the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Also, Dodgers much higher at the current moment in the pantheon of American sports than the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Currently winning a lot more than the Lakers are.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you a very brief, sad story about the Dodgers. Yeah, sure, My son is a Mets fan.
Speaker 1: The Mets are going to come up later in the story.
Speaker 4: He told me that his fondest hope is for the Mets to be good enough during this stretch and his team that when they make the documentary about how good the Dodgers are, the Mets are the main other team. That's like his highest hope for the Mets and very unlikely one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let me tell you how that might happen in a little bit. So we're recording this on Tuesday morning, the news is coming fast and furious. The Financial Times reported on Monday that Mark Walter and his often partner Todd Bowley are shopping their shares in Chelsea, the English Premier League soccer team. This is one of their other premium sports assets. So this is all based on what we know right now. Stuff is happening really fast. You may have heard that the Dodgers are quote ruining baseball. I have heard that they have the highest payroll they were able to. I mean, in this trade deadline, they got Trek Skouble, the best picture on the mark market, they got the best hitter on the market, the best closer on the market, and last offseason Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz. They both stink now. But the point is that they can. They can sustain signing those guys in them stinking and still be like a great team because they spend way more money than everyone else the team as a team, they make tons of money. There's so much because of Otani, there's so much money coming from Japan and Hello Kitty and Hello Kitty. Of course they could even sign Hello Kitty. This was like, you know, I think people would love wine. I could bat ninth. They'd probably she could bat ninth, they'd probably be fine. And hello, Kitty, I learned, is actually a human canonically a human? Is that true? That's what I learned.
Speaker 3: So so could play baseball.
Speaker 1: Could play baseball? Low, there's nothing in the role book that says, hello, Kitty can't play baseball. Their payroll is the highest ever, but that's driven by these extremely high revenues that they have, which is in turn driven by an amazing Winfall TV deal that they got when Walter was buying the team as an indirect result of previous owner Frank McCourt's divorce proceedings and ultimately bankruptcy proceedings. That deal is it's its own episode, but suffice it to say, like this, this TV deal is one of the big separators of the Dodgers from the rest of the league. This is a detail from these insurance companies and their financial statements that I'm personally very curious about those debts from the insurance companies, those loans that were incorrectly labeled. They said we're investing in unaffiliated companies, they were actually affiliated. What are those companies? Right? It hasn't been reported yet anywhere definitively like the investigation hasn't said, like, we're curious about the money going to these parts of Vampire Walter's huge empire. Exactly. Based on the company's own filings, hundreds of millions of dollars of those incorrectly labeled affiliated investments went to American Media Productions, which is the parent company of Sports netw LA, the Dodgers' regional TV channel, so sports and at LA is owned by Mark Walter, owned by the Dodgers ownership Group. It was basically created to be a vessel for this TV deal and a substacker named Nick Neemith, whose substack is called mispriced Assets. He found that there's five hundred and eighty seven million dollars in debt holdings from Walter related insurance companies that were marked unaffiliated that were that this money was going to American Media Productions, and the Wall Street Journal has noted these holdings as well. So when you hear Walter was using this insurance company money to invest in his own companies and not reporting it correctly, a big one of those companies was the Dodgers TV Network. It gets weirder still. You talked about rating agencies. Thank you for introducing Fitch earlier. I was thought I was going to introduce this from scratch.
Speaker 3: Surely what this?
Speaker 4: You know the way to the top of the new two hundred is to get way on boundaries.
Speaker 1: So the Wall Street Journal found that Mark Walter and his companies disproportionately use this one ratings agency to rate their debt you've heard of like Fitch and Moodies and Standard and Poors. Wall Street Journal found that they use a company called Egan Jones a lot, and they used it to rate their American Media Production's debt. The sports net company Debt and Egan Jones gave this debt gave American Media Productions a BBB, which is just barely investment grade. It's one notch above junk. Two former employees are suing Egan Jones at the at the same time, saying that the company pressured staff to inflate ratings to gain business.
Speaker 3: In this specific case or across the board.
Speaker 1: Across the board, and a Wall Street Journal analysis showed that across fifty two cases they looked at where a debt had been rated by two different agencies, Egan Jones ratings were on average a point higher than pers and in dozens of cases they were three points higher. So and the Wall Street Journal in this article really focuses on the American media debt and the way that I feel like papers do when they want to show that they've got something, even if they can't tell the whole story. So hundreds of millions of dollars of loans to the Dodgers' TV channel sitting on their insurance company's books, mislabeled as an unrelated transaction even though the same guy owns all of it. Also hired a rating agency that allegedly had a reputation for inflation that rated these debts as just above junk. If that rating was inflated, it would take it from junk to barely investment great. So Walters Group is now looking to unwind these affiliated investments. What does unwinding five hundred and thirty seven million dollars in debt from Sportsnet look like for the channel and for the Dodgers, Like, I don't know, I don't know if this is one of the investments that they're that they're attempting to unwind. But if they hold on to this Sportsnet debt and it's found to be mispriced, that's more money that he needs to claw back to keep his insurance companies out of receivership, keep this from like spreading across the whole googen High Empire. And his search for money is not going great by by all accounts. He went to Steve Cohen, the billionaire hedge fund guy who owns the Mets, and he asked if Steve con would help him raise capital to pay down these loans, and Steve Cohen basically told him, don't let the door hit you. Where the good lord to plit ye? And according to the Financial Times, they say a person familiar with the matter told the Financial Times that saying no was a quick and easy decision to pass on helping.
Speaker 2: Like we don't have anything to do with that guy.
Speaker 1: This is a you know, a rival, this is a billionaire baseball rivalry. Yeah, I mean maybe the conversation was like give me the Dodgers, said I'll make them, you know.
Speaker 3: I can make them sad with me.
Speaker 1: So on August twelfth, the La Times reports that sources say Mark Walter has no intention of selling the Dodgers. That was August twelfth, watch them have sold by the type this episode codes out, I want to invite anyone who is curious to look into this relationship, especially someone that like really knows about finance. I'm a liberal arts major. This relationship between Mark Walter's insurance companies and this American media production's debt. It's all in their their their their public statements, and share your findings with me in the hashtag sports channel and the ELI material forum. After you become a member of ELI material at elimateial dot com slash upgrade, I will be talking about it in there and right here. If you have any extra questions.
Speaker 3: What does this.
Speaker 2: Mean for Lakers fans and Dodgers fans?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you for the when it it comes. Well, the Lakers are getting new owners. We're figuring out exactly who they are because Bob Igri and Josh Kushner are buying Mark Walters and Todd Bowleies and like that group's share of the team. But now the Bus family, a majority of them has said that they want to sell their share as well. Genie Bus, however, the sister who was kind of a point is like governor of the team, said I don't want to sell. We're not selling. I'm governor for life legally.
Speaker 2: And so that family drama is also another episode unto itself.
Speaker 1: Jerry Buss. Doctor Jerry Buss said he was worried when he was alive that when he passed, ownership of the team would divide his children, and that happened now did come to pass.
Speaker 4: As documented in the documentary series that Ka Running Points.
Speaker 3: That's right, yeah, I mean not really. It's a delightful sitcom. Kate Hudson plays Jennie Bus or Genie Bus type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I haven't watched the show, so.
Speaker 1: What could happen to the Dodgers, You know, if the team isn't sold the Dodgers. Dodgers fans have recent memory of what it's like having an owner that is embroiled in really serious like financial issues. Frank mccorr got a divorce that if there is a divorce Hall of Fame, it has a little special exhibit and that did end up manifesting in less money going towards the team. But if they decided to take more revenue out, that's money that could potentially potentially less money could be spent on the team. It could also end up with new ownership that has a different approach to managing the franchise, like it can ownership matters a great deal.
Speaker 2: But do you think like new ownership could mean that this like glorious age of Dodger like doomin.
Speaker 1: That it's that combined with a lot of different other factors that are happening at the same time. People are talking about a strike next year in MLB, like in part because of the Dodgers runing baseball, and part of what's being discussed in MLB. In MLB is a salary cap, which they don't have now. That like basically says you're only allowed to spend this much money on payroll in having you know, an owner like Mark Walter, who was a pretty powerful voice when it came to these negotiations, be preoccupied with some other it it Uh, it does change some dynamics.
Speaker 4: Big spending representation at the table.
Speaker 3: He's tied up doing other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it does. And also if he is criminally charged if that, if that happens, there are provisions that can force a sale of the like like morality clauses. Basically the league ownership is allowed to come in and say, like, hey, you have to offload this team.
Speaker 4: What is Walter said publicly about the investigation, Does he have any comment yet.
Speaker 1: He I mean, this is like before and after the investigation, he was not a talking guy. Yeah. Really, And you know.
Speaker 4: This, there's no lawyers being like mister Walter blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they say, oh, they say all they say everything was Everything that was mislabeled was an accident. They're working with regulators to get it straightened out. He has no intention of selling the Dodgers. So it's hard to predict based on statements exactly what's going to happen. There's also more and more reporting now. The Wall Street Journal covered it. Mark Walter had had a stroke a few years ago and it has affected his speech, according to people inside the organization. There are also people inside the organization that are talking about, like questioning his judgment a little more. Per this Wall Street Journal reporting from this week. So it's a it's a rich thick soup. Do they sell soup at Dodger stadiums? A lot of stuff a Dodgers they do. I'm sure there's some kind of like famous Dodger stadium soup that I could have given it used for analogy. Hot talk doesn't really work.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Heyes, thank you so much, Thank.
Speaker 1: You for listening for us The Frothy Michelada. Thank you, perfect of course, Bell.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, super interesting. Thank you Hayes, thank.
Speaker 1: You, that's La World. Thank you so much for listening. If you're able to give it a subscribe, give it a rating, give it a review. Very gratitude, very power. As well, throw a little hand implicantside joking there so they know who sent you. Thank you so much again, really appreciate you. I will see you on some podcast or another very soon