Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Grosseol from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Chebaka's gun down in a drive by shooting from a white Catalan in an act of revenge.
Speaker 3: Tupac Shakur is a cultural icon, considered one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all times. Despite dying at the age of twenty five in a drive by shooting in Las Vegas in nineteen ninety six, his murder was considered one of the biggest unsolved cases of our time, and now three decades later, Dwayne Keefe d Davis is on trial for orchestrating Shakur's murder. Here's how prosecutor Banupa Lal described it.
Speaker 4: Dwayne Davis did.
Speaker 2: Not hold the true but what he did do was planned the retaliation for the beating of his nephew. You will learn that Dwayne Davis got the gun. You will learn that he got into a white Cadillac. You will learn what the opportunity presented itself for retribution. Dwayne Davis made sure that the shooters armed and read.
Speaker 4: To execute their way.
Speaker 3: The strongest evidence in the prosecution's case appears to be Davis's own words. For years the former gang leader, actually boasted about his involvement in shooting Shakur, laying out the details in multiple interviews with police and the FBI, then on the pages of a memoir in twenty nineteen, and in media interviews. But in an unusual posture, the defense attorney, Michael Senfitt told the jurors his client was not to be believed.
Speaker 4: Just look at the actual facts. What facts do you have for any of what keped said? Eddy's interviews are in the book.
Speaker 3: But Suge Knight, who was in the car with Shakur when he was shot, thinks Davis will have a hard time convincing a jury. As he told ABC News in an interview from prison.
Speaker 1: Everything he's said he talked about, he every tone only seth say what are you going to do? He raised Arto recording through the interviews he did.
Speaker 3: The sixty three year old Davis faces life in prison if he's convicted of the murder. My guest is former federal prosecutor Nima Romani, President and co founder of West Coast Trial Lawyers. Nima start with the challenges of trying this thirty year old case where most of the people who were involved are no longer alive.
Speaker 5: It's very difficult to prosecute a case thirty years later, especially because everyone who is in Kiefi D's vehicle is dead, many of them for gang related reasons. Really, the only percipient witness that we know so far as Shuld Knight, who of course was driving Tupac's vehicle.
Speaker 4: But I think it's unlikely that he's.
Speaker 5: Going to testify in this case and identify either the shooter or even put Davis in the vehicle.
Speaker 4: The other issue is Tupac himself.
Speaker 5: The testimony that came out on the first day of trial was that he refused to snitch and identify the shooter, saying that he would take care of it himself. Of course, he's succumbed to his injuries at the hospital and was unable to do so.
Speaker 3: Does it seem like the best evidence the prosecution has is Keefyd's own words, because he bragged about being involved in the killing many times over the years and wrote a memoir to that effect.
Speaker 5: I've never covered a case like this that's based almost entirely on the defense's own words. The opening statements were surrealed, you have the prosecution calling Davis a criminal mastermind, the shot caller of this gang. And then you have the defense on the other hand, trying to undermine their client's own credibility. They said he was full of crap. They said this was all bs. They essentially were arguing that he's.
Speaker 1: A fool who was.
Speaker 4: Bragging to make himselves seem more important.
Speaker 5: Gain street cred in the gang culture, and to sell books.
Speaker 4: I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 3: And at this point, the defense is claiming that there's no evidence that Davis was even in Las Vegas that night.
Speaker 4: This was a really important point.
Speaker 5: So Davis has said that he wasn't even in Vegas in interviews he's done from jail with local media outlets in Vegas. But during opening statements, the defense said that Davis lied about being ringside or close to it in the Mike Tyson fight.
Speaker 4: He wasn't even there. He wasn't at the fight.
Speaker 5: He wasn't in the city, which would be absolutely devastating to the prosecution's case.
Speaker 4: If that's true.
Speaker 5: They need witnesses to at least put him in Vegas and Clark County, otherwise they're going to have significant problems.
Speaker 3: He did many interviews over the years with the FBI, with Las Vegas Police, with LA Police, where he again boasted about his involvement in this shooting. I mean back to I think nineteen ninety eight. He talked to the FBI first, So I mean, is the jury going to be asking so if he talked to them all these times, why wasn't anything done, why did it take until twenty twenty three to indict him.
Speaker 5: That's one of the best arguments the defense has. They're arguing that even LAPD, even the FBI, they don't believe Davis. That's why they didn't charge him. And you're right, we're talking about going back to I think nineteen ninety seven was his first interview with LAPD after Biggie Smalls was killed outside the Peterson Auto Museum in Los Angeles. Of course, there's the infamous two thousand and eight interview with the Federal Task Force that became the issue of much litigation. He was given immunity. The prosecution argued that it was just use immunity. It didn't bind other jurisdictions, including Nevada. This was litigated all the way to the Nevada Supreme Court, where the defense argued that it was transactional immunity, he couldn't be prosecuted at all. Ultimately, the judge agreed with the prosecution that one jurisdiction cannot contractually bind another. And I think that two thousand and eight interview, as well as the twenty nineteen memoir, I think those are the most damning pieces of evidence for Davis and the defense.
Speaker 3: What do you think about the defense saying, oh, he was bragging in an interviews, Davis has said, you know, he was trying to make some money off this, so only.
Speaker 5: Pause, Well, the prosecution is going to need to corroborate these admissions or confessions with some independent evidence. It's gonna be very hard when you have the defendant now arguing that he's trying to sell books and seem more important. And ultimately, I think at a minimum, they got to put them in the vehicle, and the question is do they have the witnesses to do so. Their witnesses are going to testify about this white Cadillac that pulled up next to a BMW. But the challenge you, like you said, is all the precipient witnesses to the shooting, they're all dead. They can't testify, And of course, under the rules of hearsay and the confrontation clause and the Constitution, and accused has the right to cross examine his accuser.
Speaker 3: Also, they don't have the gun, they don't have the car. I don't know if they have any physical evidence at all.
Speaker 4: That's the concern.
Speaker 5: You're normally in a murder case, you're gonna have ballistics, you're gonna have DNA, you're gonna have fingerprints of any of that sell side evidence. So you're relying on these admissions. So obviously there's a potential motive. I think we're going to hear a lot of testimony about the beef between these gangs. And one other interesting wrinkle is that that may be helpful for the defense is that Davis previously said that Shanda Di Combs offered him a million dollars to kill Tupac. Now, of course Combs is denying that. But if that particular and comes isn't going to come anywhere near this trial. Like Shug Knight, he has his own legal problems. But if that statement is also untrue, it sort of leads to the conclusion that this is all just a complete fabrication by someone that had nothing to do with it. That's why that independent, corroborating evidence is going to be critical for the state.
Speaker 3: So basically you just can't believe anything that Davis says.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the point.
Speaker 5: The more elaborate the lies and the Combe part being one of them, the better it is for the defense. Again, it's really bizarre that they're just trying to undermine their own client's credibility. I've never seen anything like this in any case I've ever covered. So the more lies there are, and the bigger those lies, the better it is for the defense.
Speaker 3: The defense attorneys also pointing to missing documents in the original investigation, detectives work as being biased, sloppy, and incompetent and even you know, some corruption there. I mean, that's an argument that we've heard many, many times before.
Speaker 4: That's the challenge when you have these types of cases.
Speaker 5: Because I live and work in Los Angeles, and I was here in the nineties, and obviously this is not a Los Angeles case, but there's a perception or there was, that LAPD was corrupted.
Speaker 4: During that time.
Speaker 5: Rampart, Rodney King, the failure to ever arrest anyone for the Tupac or Biggie murders. There are a lot of people who believe that law enforcement were complicit. It was bad boy. So the challenge is when you have a thirty year old case.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying.
Speaker 5: Everyone is of age to remember when Tupac was killed, but some of these jurors have very strong, preconceived notions as to who was responsible for Tupac's death.
Speaker 4: That becomes a challenge.
Speaker 5: And you know, there are other cases as well where this has been an issue. I think a recent example not a murder case, but the fire case here in Los Angeles where I live. Jonathan Render connect He was charged for arson, but that was after many, many months when people believe that the LA Fire Department, the LA Department of Water and Power, mayor Karen Bass, mother Nature, they're all responsible for the devastating Malibu and Palisades fire. Then the US Attorney's office charges this arsonist and ultimately the jury hung tend to in favor of a quick and one of the jurors that spoke out and said, no, this wasn't his fault.
Speaker 4: He's being scapegoaded.
Speaker 5: So I think the defense has an argument here that it was law enforcement that failed to do their job. And by the way, this is not the defense lawyers argue in almost every case, right, a poor, sloppy investigation and the fact that it took thirty years to bring any criminal charges against one of or actually who I believe is the greatest rapper of all time being murdered does play into that argument.
Speaker 3: Stay with me. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Law Show, I'll continue this conversation with former federal prosecutor Nima Romani. What's the likelihood that the defendant might take the stand? This is Bloomberg. Fans of the late rapper Tupac Shakourt stood outside the Las Vegas courthouse as a trial thirty years in the making started in a courtroom where Dwayne KEEFD Davis is accused of Shakur's murder in a drive shooting in nineteen ninety six. Some fans, like Derek Lee Stanton Junior, say they're prepared to stick it out as long as the trial lasts.
Speaker 5: It's more important than ever right now to even be having this conversation be brought up, for everybody to be focusing on this, and to even want to find suggestice for Tucrose Court.
Speaker 3: I've been talking to former federal prosecutor Nima Romani, president of West Coast Trial Lawyers. Tubac remains a cultural icon. He's considered by many, and I guess you to be one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time. Fans of Tubac are standing outside the courthouse. How does that play, if at all, into the way the jury considers the case.
Speaker 5: I think it helps the prosecution because to the extent that you have a beloved victim, jurors are don't want to hold someone anyone responsible. Obviously, you know of cases where and again I don't condone any type of violence, but if you're looking at a very different type of case would be Luigimanngoni because health insurance is so unpopular that that's a challenge for the prosecution in that case and certainly a benefit to the defense.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't, of course condone violence for any reason, but when your victim is very well liked, I think that's an advantage for the prosecution because the jurors are going to want to hold someone responsible.
Speaker 3: The trials expected to last between four to six weeks, and prosecutors are expected to call thirty five to forty five witnesses. We've discussed how no one who was in the car, except allegedly for the defendant, is still alive. Shug Knight, who's serving time in prison for another crime, has said he doesn't want to testify. So besides retired police officers and detectives and perhaps some people who were at the hotel or the fight, who else do you think is on the prosecution's witness list.
Speaker 5: I think they're not going to be your witnesses in the traditional sense, and that they didn't actually perceive the murder. I think we're going to see a lot of people talk about this feud, you know, this history, the obviously the fight at the MGM, basically setting the stage and really telling a story of why Davis would be motivated to shoot and kill or orchestrate the murder of Tupac Shakur. So I expect there to be a lot of witnesses telling that story, But as far as precipient witnesses, you're right, soon I don't think there are many, if any.
Speaker 2: At all.
Speaker 3: Do you think it'll end up being does the jury believe what Davis said before and through the years, or do they believe what he's saying now and he's been saying only since he was arrested.
Speaker 5: I think it's a fascinating case because it's really based on what Davis has said. Now, if you're the p execution, I think you get there in a couple ways. One, you have to show that Davis's story has been consistent over the years, over the past almost thirty years now.
Speaker 4: If the story is consistent, that's helpful.
Speaker 5: There's inconsistencies because when people lie, they can obviously often change their stories over time, especially after many years. The second is that corroboration I talked about. I mean, they need something. If they're just hanging their hat on the confessions alone, I think that's challenging, especially because, like the defense argued, no one else has filed charges notwithstanding these confessions.
Speaker 3: The defense blinds to call just a handful of witnesses. The defense attorney hasn't said whether the defendant will take the stand in his own defense if he testifies. Are the jurors supposed to believe him now, supposed to believe him before?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think if I'm the defense, I do not under any circumstances put Davis on the stand, someone that is going to be completely destroyed on across examination. Maybe you want him to be destroyed because you want him to just look so incompetent.
Speaker 4: You want him to be a bumbling fool.
Speaker 5: So maybe it would be a mad genius move, but it's very, very risky for this type of defendant. He's obviously opened his mouth many many times when he should not have. Even when he was in jail, he was talking to reporters, right. It's really unheard of unless there's a specific pr or other reasons while there's a pending criminal case for a defendant to talk to reporters.
Speaker 4: I mean, it certainly happens.
Speaker 5: We've seen it, and I believe with Scott Peterson and others who have a certain narcissism to them. But it is risky, and if I were the defense here, I would kind of stick with with what I got, which is really reasonable doubt because the prosecution is at a disadvantage because so much time has passed and most of the witnesses are dead.
Speaker 3: A jury of sixteen people, six man and ten women was seated, so four are alternates. Potential jurors were questioned about their knowledge of gang's guns, hip hop music, and memories of the nineteen nineties music scene. Among the jurors, you have a self help guru who once had a shoplifting habit, a motorcycle riding, retired gemologist who says she'd never heard of Tupac but doesn't have a problem with gang culture, and a maleman who used to listen to Tupac's music back in the nineties. So you appear to have a very diverse jury there.
Speaker 5: I say this respectfully. I am licensed in Nevada. We have an office in Las Vegas. But Vegas can have some interesting folks that travel through there, so I'm not surprised there's a diverse cast of characters.
Speaker 4: Look, I always say it's twelve men and.
Speaker 5: Women who can't get out of jury duty, right, So I'm not surprised you have all types on that panel.
Speaker 3: Here. He's charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. Do you think the jurors will have any problem with the fact that the prosecution says that the defendant himself didn't pull the trigger.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I think the jury instructions are pretty clear as well established that you can be convicted as a co conspirator, you can be convicted as an accomplice. The classic law school example is, you know there's a murderer and you're driving the getaway car. You don't have to pull the trigger to be guilty of murder under those circumstances as an accomplice. And in this particular case, at least, the prosecution is a legend that Davis got the gun and they're pretty specific as to who he got it from. He passed it to someone in the backseat only because he was to the right of tupacs car in the front passenger seat. And his story is that had he been on the other side and had a clear shot, he would have taken it himself. So that's pretty damaging for the defense. He passed the firearm to someone in the back who didn't or was unable to take the shot, and the other backseat passenger did so under those circumstances, that's.
Speaker 4: Murder under the law. If the jurors believed that story.
Speaker 3: That story, you know, as you're reciting it, does have a lot of details that make it seem credible. I have to say, you know, for a jury, because it's not just I gave someone the gun and they know it's I wasn't on the right side, or I would have shot him and then I came to someone in the front. And also he talks about Tupac actually waving to fans or whatever he said, if they wouldn't have known that he was in the car, if he hadn't done that. So, I mean there are some details.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was fastin. I mean, yeah, there are very specific details.
Speaker 5: And what's sort of fascinating is a Tupac's car was apparently pulled over about ten minutes before he was shot because I got no plates. So I'm obviously an important part of the story. But yeah, like you said, if the story is precise, if it's consistent, if it's corroborated, I think the prosecution can get there.
Speaker 4: But if it's just a general story.
Speaker 5: About a hip hop feud, it's gonna be hard to get twelve out of twelve.
Speaker 3: The straw was thirty years in the making. We'll have to see if it lives up to the expectations that many people have for it.
Speaker 5: I am just really excited to be covering this one.
Speaker 4: Hopefully the jury gets it right.
Speaker 5: But really the fact that there have been no charges in two of these cold cases for decades, it's really a head scratcher and really plays into the perception, right or wrong, that law enforcement is corrupt and that they either don't take these cases seriously at best, or we're complicit somehow at worst. So I'm glad the case is moving forward, excited to see what the coming days and weeks show in terms of the test.
Speaker 3: It's always great to get your Insightsnema. That's Nima Romani, president and co founder of West Coast Trial Lawyers. A federal judge in Los Angeles signaled she's likely to issue a preliminary injunction ordering ICE to stop making warrantless arrests unless agents first determine that a person is a flight risk. That would force ICE agents to fundamentally change the way they've been conducting the sweeps at the heart of President Trump's massive deportation campaign. Joining me is an expert in immigration law, Leon Fresco, a partner at Hollanda Knight. He was the head of the Justice Department's Office of Immigration Litigation during the Obama administration. Leon, is this the same case that went up to the Supreme Court at one point.
Speaker 6: So this case, I've had a lot of iteration. So it started in June of twenty twenty five with the word of go to the home depot and start grabbing people.
Speaker 1: We want to get to three thousand arrests a day.
Speaker 6: And there was a tro at, a preliminary injunction back then that had to do with racial profiling and said you need to have a warrant in order to arrest people if you were doing these roving ice operations.
Speaker 1: You couldn't just do that.
Speaker 6: You had to have a list of people that you knew were in undocumented status and you had to pick them up.
Speaker 1: And that was for all of Los Angeles County.
Speaker 6: And what happened was this is where the Kavanaugh stops was created. That ended up going all the way to the Supreme Court. And just as Kavanaugh said, no, no, no, you can have warrantless arrests here because you can see certain things about people that are common toward the fact pattern of being undocumented where they're being apprehended, Are they speaking a different.
Speaker 1: Language, blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: And so that ended up being disbanded, and so these folks came back with a new legal thing, and the new legal theory was, well, wait a second, maybe this isn't based on racial profiling. Maybe the problem is that these arrests that are happening are not just warrantless, but they're warrantless, and they're also being done without taking into account whether these individuals are actually flight risks or dangerous. Because the idea was you should only be arresting again people on a list that you know are on document. That you shouldn't be pulling people over on the street and just arresting them unless you thought that the problem was that if you didn't arrest them right at that minute, then you would never be able to find them ever again. And so their view the plaintiffs was that ICE was sort of papering over this work using form language, and they actually said they were using some inappropriate racist language also, and so they had all of these accusations.
Speaker 3: Leon this tentative ruling. Explain why it's tentative in California.
Speaker 6: I never knew this until I worked at the Department of Justice because I'm from Florida and I lived in DC.
Speaker 1: But in California they have this weird thing.
Speaker 6: Where when you show up to court for an oral argument, they give you the decision before you.
Speaker 1: Even have the oral argument, which is very odd. And disconcerting.
Speaker 6: And so that's what that happened here is the judge gave them the preliminary injunction. It's called the tentative ruling, and then you have to argue why the tentative ruling shouldn't go into effect, which I've always found like, well, once the judge spent fifty hours doing work to put in a fifty page order, why would they ever go back on their tentative ruling. I mean, that's cognitive dissonance at its you know, one hundred percent level there. But nevertheless, when I was at the DLJ, was able to argue a case out from under a tentative ruling. But it's very, very hard to do, and most people think this judge will not go away from her tentative ruling and will issue the p liminary injunction.
Speaker 1: That then says that.
Speaker 6: You actually have to have individualized language that says this is why this person is a flight risk or dangerous and if you don't do that, then you need a warrant in advance in order to arrest them. And then we're going to have to again work our way up to the Supreme Court to see if that's really the standard here.
Speaker 3: So for federal judges in Oregon, Colorado, DC, and Sacramento have issued these preliminary injunctions against the warrantless arrest by ICE agency. But has it reached a finappellate court yet.
Speaker 6: I mean, so it reached the Supreme Court on the issue of racial profiling, but not on the issue of making an individualized determination about flight risk. And so that's where it's going to need to get to an appellate court and then ultimately to the Supreme Court. Most of these are in the Ninth Circuit, So the Ninth Circuit will eventually deal with this one way or the other on the issue of what kind of determination ICE has to make. I find it hard to believe that ICE ultimately will have their hands tied by the Supreme Court to the extent that they're not allowed to make arrests. But we'll have to wait and see it. I just don't see it. I think they will be allowed to make arrest. The way the Supreme Court usually deals with these things is they say, look, if there's an unconstitutional arrest as applied to a specific person, come back to us and argue about that. But we're not in advance going to just tie ICE's hands for no reason. So they love this idea of as applied constitutional challenges and say, come back to us later if they're the problem with the way this is being implemented.
Speaker 3: Let's turn to another topic. The Justice Department Administrative Panel has ruled that DOCA recipients and others who travel internationally with advanced parole could be disqualified from immigration benefits, including permanent residency. I mean, what normally happens when a DOCA recipient decides to travel internationally.
Speaker 6: I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, but it's actually a very huge order that affects millions of people. So that's why I thought it was important to talk about it today.
Speaker 1: Is here's what happens. In nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 6: As part of something called the Illegal Immigrant Reform and Responsibility Act, it was President Clinton and then the Republican Congress.
Speaker 1: They came together and they and they agreed on this.
Speaker 6: They said that illegal immigration had gotten out of control to such an extent that we needed to do something about it, and they created something called the three year ten year Barer. What it says is, if you are in America in an undocumented status, for longer than one hundred and eighty days. If you leave, your ban for three years from coming in, and if you are here for longer than three hundred and sixty five days in undocumented status, then that ban is ten years. So if you leave, you can't come back in for ten years. It's a categorical ban. And so what's the problem. So the problem is this, sometimes people will overstay their visas and eventually meet someone and get married, you know, like in the movie The Proposal with Ryan Reynolds and.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 6: And so in those situations, people can then apply for green cards or DOCA is another example where the people who had DOCA they didn't have a legal status, now they have one. Now they can apply for a green card. Okay, so what happens next. What happens next is during the year or two years, it takes like between a year or two years that you're waiting for your green card, you are trapped inside of the United States. You're not allowed to travel abroad unless you get permission from the government, and that piece of permission is called advanced parole. If you leave without that permission, you're abandoning your application and they never let you back in. You're totally in big trouble, so you have to have that piece of permission.
Speaker 1: So the question is, when the government gives you this advanced.
Speaker 6: Parole permission to travel, did it say to you, oh, we know that if you had left, you would have been subject to the three and ten year bar. But we're saying no, no, no, don't worry about it. You can come back in. And that's what the government did say for the last fifteen years. But what the Trump administration has just done is said no, no, no, no. If you leave the country, even if we gave you one of these permission slips to leave the country, guess what, you're never coming back in. You're subject to that ten year ban and you're never going to be allowed back in.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: They didn't do it retroactively, which is good. They did it prospectively, so at least they gave people now a warning. But the point is many people would use these paroles in order to be able to actually qualify for a green card. That's what the Knaka people did, because what happens is if you entered illegally into the United States, then you can't get a green card. Not overstay your visa. It doesn't matter who you marry. You could marry Trump, you still can't get a green card. But when you got one of these paroles, that fixed that.
Speaker 1: But now they're saying no, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: If you leave, even if you have a parole that you used to think would fix that, it doesn't fix that. So now the immigration lawyers are scrambling telling all of their clients who possess these advanced parole documents that if they're in one of these cases where they're currently in a marriage that they're trying to use to excuse and overstay, don't leave because you're never going to be able to come back in the country. And so a lot of people, at least upfront, are going to get snagged by this during the transition period and it's going to be quite a mess.
Speaker 3: I have a DACA question. It can all DACA recipients get green cards?
Speaker 1: Well, so here's what happened. What the DACA does.
Speaker 3: It easy answer to any of my questions.
Speaker 6: Yes, Well the answer is maybe at alex play. So here's what happens. What the DOCA does is it gives.
Speaker 1: You a status.
Speaker 6: Because a lot of these DOKA kids crossed illegally, so they had no way of getting a green card. But what the DOCA does is it gives you a kind of a quasi status. And at least under the Biden administration, when you had this quasi status, then what would happen was they would give you an advanced parole and so you could travel and come back, and when you came back, that parole fixed the fact that you came illegally the first time. So now you've entered legally, and now you could marry a US citizen and get a green card, or you could get an employment but now that's all gone.
Speaker 1: They say.
Speaker 6: Even if the Biden administration gave you such a promision, good luck trying to use it. If you leave and you use it, we're not letting you back in the country. There's potentially fifty thousand people who could be snagged in under this if they're not careful.
Speaker 3: Something else from the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice has put employers on notice they can face discrimination claims for favoring foreign workers over US workers, even if they're technically complying with Labor Department regulations. So explain what does an employer have to go through if they want to hire a foreign worker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's different processes, but the process that this one is referring to is the process by which you hire a foreign worker for a green card for what's called an employment based green card for lawful permanent residents. The main process there is a process where you have to do recruiting to show that an American worker was not available. The statute itself has things that it says that you have to do. So, for instance, it said you have to put two ads on a Sunday paper and then you have to pick between a radio ad or an internet posting or whatever. It gives you like a menu of ten things, and you have to pick four of them.
Speaker 1: And so here's the problem.
Speaker 6: Even though you're technically compliant, when you do a search for a US worker using the four criteria, they give you ten and you can pick any four you on. What the Department of Justice is now saying is yeah, that's fine and dandy, But if you're not using the actual means that you use when you actually want to find a worker, then we're going to say this is a sham process. So not only do you have to use you know, four out of ten things in our menu, but if you do something normally to find workers, you're going to have to do that same normal thing here because this shouldn't be a process about not finding someone. You should be trying to do everything you normally do to find someone, and only if you can't find someone, then do you hire the foreign worker.
Speaker 3: So there were thirteen settlements reached in the past eighteen months involving this alleged hiring bias, and open AI reached a settlement with the Justice Department of three point two million dollars. Did that number come out of an error or did it relate to the number of violations.
Speaker 6: Violation per person? But at the end of the day, these settlements are because people don't want to litigate these issues. And so the question is, is some company ultimately going to want to litigate this and say, why can't I use four out of the ten that you told me to use? Why do I have to use the same ones that I use for my other employees If these were the ones you wanted me to use, do that or otherwise say I have to use the same ones that I use for my normal employees. But you know this is the problem.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: The reason all of this is crazy is because what happened is these foreign workers are already in the company. They're usually working on a temporary visa on an H one B, and what you're trying to do is you're trying to reward them for good work by applying for their green card. The employers want to do the right thing and give that employee a green card, but in order to do that, they have to show there's not an American to get that job. So technically, from the employer's standpoint, the way they're incentivized to do this is to try to not find an American worker so that they can give this employee a Green card. And so the incentive structure is horrible. It's a terrible situation. And so this is one of the key areas where immigration reform is needed, so that at the end of the day, the people who get green cards are people with skills.
Speaker 1: And talents and abilities that.
Speaker 6: Are important to the marketplace, not this system where you have this perverse incentive where the only way someone can get a green card is for an employer to have to go through a kabuki theater of trying to show there's not an.
Speaker 1: American worker there.
Speaker 6: That system has sort of had its day, and we really do need to move to a new system.
Speaker 3: Though I think the term kabuki theater would apply to many of the immigration cases we've discussed. Leon, thanks for joining me. As always, that's Leon Fresco of Hollanden Night, and that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcasts. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com slash podcast Slash Law, And remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg