Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Caroline Hepkat and this is Here's Why, where we take one new story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg. French President Emanuey and Macon's surprised decision to call a snap parliamentary election has caused political chaos and spooks markets.
Speaker 2: The risks around politics are firmly back in focus.
Speaker 1: People are obviously going to see this as a very high risk strategy carneage.
Speaker 2: You've seen in the last week. You've seen in the stock market, the buying mar even the euro.
Speaker 1: Markets have said we'll sell first, we'll think second. French bonds have tumbled as the vote raises uncertainty over how the next government might address the country's public finances. Marine Le Penn's national rally is leading in the polls, and Emanuel Macon's finance minister, Bruno Lemaire has warned that the country could face its own Liz Trust scenario if the far right party wins, pointing to their previous policy pledges that would have cost around one hundred billion euros a year. The guilt market crisis here in the UK back in twenty twenty two under the former British Prime minister, has become a cautionary tail, it seems, for leaders elsewhere of testing the market's tolerance for bold ideas.
Speaker 2: Fitch, the rating agency, warning that the government's new plan could increase the nation's fiscal deficit. The government has been hit by a run on the pound and a financial crisis since the mini budget. We are seeing the UK bond market once again under pressure. Today we've got a confidence deficit, clarity deficit and credibility deficit.
Speaker 1: Investor is wearing some of the risks emanating from the debt crisis gripping the UK. So with that in mind, could it happen again in France? Well, here's why Europe's politicians should watch the bond markets. Are Managing editor for FX and Rates, Rachel Evans joins me now for more great to have you on? Was Bruno Lemaire being melodramatic? Quite interesting that he used Liz Trust as that caution retail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it certainly evokes a lot of memories from two years ago, and I think we have to remember this is all part of a political campaign. Inevitably, opponents are going to throw a bit of muder at each other, see what sticks and evoke the scariest thing that they can do, soje to try and kind of focus minds. But I think there is a sort of serious point behind those comments. The radidscianel has not laid out its economic platform yet, but some of the suggestions of what they could do and what they've talked about doing in the past, such as cutting taxes, blurring the retirement age, I mean, that would really cost an awful lot of money. And that's where the Liz Trust comparison kind of comes in, because of course Trust was well known now for coming out with these unfunded tax cuts that really spook to the market. And I think that's kind of the context in which these comments were made, that there is kind of that how do you pay for some of these commitments.
Speaker 1: The thing is, the UK's parliamentary system is very different from the presidential system in France. Even if Macran's party loses in the parliamentary election, he'll still be president. But then let's, you know, game out a scenario where it would be national rally. They would then perhaps hold the prime ministership in France, would they have enough power to make those big spending decisions.
Speaker 2: I think it depends a lot on the alliance that they're able to strike in the wake of the results. So depending on how well they do in these elections will determine the partners that they can draw on within kind of the parliamentary system. And if they have you know, a sufficient support, you know, then you could seize a prime minister coming through from that party. If they're in power in the parliament. I mean, they do have an awful lot of ability to dictate the terms of conversation, even if they don't necessarily have kind of the full power that the presidency has. But you know, they also have that democratic mandate and that's something that's very difficult to overlook. If you're coming back into parliament having the will of the people, as it were, behind you, then that's something that really from a sort of optics perspective, puts the pressure on to kind of accede to some of their suggestions on the policy side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perhaps that carries weight. Mind you, France, how strong has the fiscal position been recently?
Speaker 2: Pretty bad, And I think that's one of the concerns for investors heading into this election. I mean, just at the end of last month, we saw a downgrade by SMP debted GDP. I was just looking at it. It's more than one hundred and ten percent at the moment. Not exactly great. But one of the real issues has been that with mccron losing his majority in the National Assembly, he's really struggled to tackle that. Some of the reformers that he's put forward have received an awful lot of very public pushback and that's made it very difficult for him to tackle. So I think that's where the bond market has kind of become very important. You're even kind of before this election, we were seeing French bonds underperforming versus their Spanish Italian peers, and since we've seen the election of volatility, you know, we've really seen kind of French bond yields blowing out and actually some of their debt yielding more than Portuguese, which is pretty significant when you think about where we were in the sovereign debt crisis.
Speaker 1: And how's the Liz Trust experienced sort of suffocated policy in Europe because again a bit like maybe not definitely not as severece the Greek crisis, but it has brought to the four again the danger of angering bond markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they should be worried about that. We saw kind of, you know, the real perils of that under trust. You know, you saw the pound falling to a record low. Sure, record moves lower for guilts, So there's real reason to kind of worry. I think, you know, what we've seen in the last sort of a few years really is just because governments have had to borrow so much, you know, to kind of fund the recovery from the pandemic. They're in a vulnerable position, a more vulnerable position than perhaps they've been in numerous years, because they really do have to think about the stakeholders. And the stakeholders are not just their voters who want certain things and a certain quality of life, but the stakeholders are also bondholders, and they are the ones that are ultimately advancing the money to the government so that they can go forward with their spending plans. But their wants and desires also need to be taken into consideration, and what they want is to make sure that the government in charge is fiscally responsible and isn't diluting the worth of their debt by going out and borrowing aggressively.
Speaker 1: Rachel Evans are managing editor for FX and Rates. Thank you so much for joining me for more explanations like this one from our team of twenty seven hundred journalists and this all around the world. Search for Quick Take on the Bloomberg website or the Bloomberg Business App. I'm Caroline Hepgar. This is his why. We'll be back next week with more