Speaker 1: Warning today's episode, can you spoil us for dared Evil Born Again Season two Episode five you wond Hello, My name is Jason, Up to you and on Rosey Night, and welcome back to Next Revision, the podcast where we dive deep. It's your verit Jos Movies, comics and pop culture. We're coming to you from my heart where we're bringing you three episode a week.
Speaker 2: Last news in today's episode is episode two five of Dead Evil Born Again Season two, The Grand Design.
Speaker 3: So we will be.
Speaker 2: Recapping this action packed episode and be finding out whether or not Vanessa is dead or alive, and then we will be bringing in super producer Aaron to ask us some burning questions about Dead Evil Born Again.
Speaker 1: Daredevil Episode five I have season two The Grand Design. We open up with Vanessa in very very rough shape. We're in the hospital, not that police still out, but power she might be brain dead, she might be dying.
Speaker 4: And is that well said, it's yours?
Speaker 1: Well, well it's really Bullseye's fault. But yes, I mean to Vanessa and and Wilson's fault. It's both of their faults. They're all involved in.
Speaker 2: This complicit action, complicit and Vanessa's head getting a gloss ornament in it.
Speaker 1: Wilson is absolutely flipping out. Powell comes over to Vanessa's room to tell Fisk that of course they have no idea where Useless and Matt are, and Fisk is like, any resources you need to find them, you just tell me.
Speaker 4: But I want them alive, alive, they'll be killing them. Do it after escape that.
Speaker 1: Many have screenshot that appears to show Matt running by the watcher.
Speaker 2: Yes, crazy, crazy and brat as you Jason Brad Windebaum seem to share it and say, you know what if.
Speaker 1: No intentional or not, like, is that really here's the thing. I think it's unintentional, and that those were fluorescent lights caught in a specific way that said smart to go with it, mister Winderbaum. You guys need to Alfred Hitchcock this thing and put a watcher somewhere in every episode of Marvel TV.
Speaker 4: People would love it in a series. Also, I love that the Matthew and Decks together. That name is Max. That's the ship name. It's just Max, just a really normal shipping name.
Speaker 1: So Matt drags Decks into a resistance kitchen and the workers are like, you know, it's like the kitchen for some restaurant somewhere where. Apparently like all the restaurant workers are in the Resistance, which you.
Speaker 5: Love love to, you know, like to to Superros come come barging into the kitchen and Daredel was like, where's the where's the boiler room?
Speaker 3: And the workers are like that way go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also like one of them is a math modera who's been like another math matter and they're like it's cool, We're fine.
Speaker 4: Now, We're all on this.
Speaker 1: I guess Bedfellows it's a coalition now. Dex is like get out of here. Matt like leave me, shave yourself, and Matt won't leave him. Boyfriend Dan answers press calls from the hospital because everybody in the city and in the nation is like Vanessa, Vanessa, Vanessa, Is she dead?
Speaker 4: Is she dead?
Speaker 1: He's like, how dare you ask that kind of question right now? They says in a situation I can't talk to you about.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah bb text.
Speaker 1: Simon is like, Hey, meet me at the vending machine. I stuck into the hospital.
Speaker 4: Come for fuck's sake.
Speaker 1: Baby dad comes over. He's like, what are you doing baby heady here? Yeah, the may is going crazy. He's in a rage. If he sees you here, I'll tell you apart from Limb and Bibi's like, just give me the scoop.
Speaker 3: I need to know.
Speaker 2: Is she desperate for the news, like they have taken a day off, Like take a day off from getting a scoop, it's not healthy.
Speaker 4: She's like, is she alive?
Speaker 1: It's Vanessa alive? And Dan is like, you gotta listen. You gotta promise me, you'ren't gonna tell anybody.
Speaker 4: It's just like, Dad, are you my worst person to tell?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, at this point that she's telling someone like come on, my.
Speaker 4: Boy, come on on.
Speaker 1: And Dad's like, okay, we listen between you and me and the ConA silence. Okay, she's in critical condition. It's very said, it's touch and go right now, but she's alive. Incomes Vanessa's surgeon, neurosurgeon, doctor Muradi, comes to see Fisk, and he's like, listen, it's very sensitive right now, like it's on a knife's edge. Vanessa's on a very tough stage and I'm going to do everything i can and I'm very skilled. I'm very good at this, and uh, you know, we're just a lot of this is gonna be a waiting game. Meanwhile, Vanessa is in her dying mind palace, wandering around this mind palace in.
Speaker 2: Her home with Vanessa like the whole character, she's just quite crazy.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like they couldn't give her Eddy arc outside of this, but they're doing it now that she's on death's door. Yeah, so that she's in her mind palace wandering around reliving memories of like her the the time in her life when she's about to meet Wilson, she's at the art gallery and talking about the painting they will bond over and you know all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Dex is like, fuck, I hope I got her.
Speaker 4: Dude, He's stressed. He's like, fuck she's dead. Like He's like, I really And by the way, can we just say how how they're like in the Morlock tunnels down here?
Speaker 2: I know that's why if they.
Speaker 1: Go on to this like go the room or a restaurant and end up wandering. I was thinking through these like holes.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about this, right, So.
Speaker 2: Is this does this mean in every version of New York in the multiverse there is like a tunnel system like what happens in the Fantastic Four when they go and live underneath the ground, because it really does seem like New York just has unending tunnels under that.
Speaker 1: It's like Paris, you know, the Catacombs at Paris. I absolutely love that this is the case in MCU fictional New York. Anyway, dec is like, fuck, man, I hope I got her and that the scales in her balance and everything's okay if I got her and I'm ready, He's like, I'm ready to He's been shot in the gut, he's bleeding, he's bleeding out, he's seriously hurt.
Speaker 3: And he's like, man, I fucking you know, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: To go now because I got I hope I got knock on Wood, I hope I got Vanessa.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to go. Seems like he's found religion.
Speaker 1: And he's like telling Matt, like I should when I fell off, when you threw me off a five story building, I should have died.
Speaker 3: How is it that I'm alive?
Speaker 2: We weays, He said, God kept me alive.
Speaker 1: Kill this someone to kill Vanessa Fisk to put a shard of a memorial scrapping in the kitchen, Wilson fist Crystal Crystal bust into her brain and I hope it happens so now I can go. And Matt meanwhile, is like, and he keeps on bringing up like and by the way, I'm so sorry about Foggy, and.
Speaker 4: I's liked, stop stop talking about Foggy.
Speaker 3: He's like, I just want you to know I'm sorry about it.
Speaker 4: He's like, I killed Foggy, so now I have to kill Vanessa to balance the scales. I'm sorry. And Matt's like, just fucking stop talking about my best friend up.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Matt like what what what use would Foggy have been this season?
Speaker 4: Honestly, like what would he have done?
Speaker 2: Maybe helped Kristen run the fucking law firm that you abandoned, but otherwise, like, honestly, like she needs to help me.
Speaker 1: And while Matt is wandering around in his own memory palace, his own mind palace, he's reminiscing about everyone in the early days of him and Foggy, like after law school, working at the public defender's office, they're time together as lawyers defending a client named McCoy and how yeah, Foggy and Matt suggested a plea deal out of jail. You know you'll be out of jail in three to four years. And McCoy is like, I can't do that because guys are trying to kill me. If I go inside, they'll kill me. Like, if I go to jail three, I won't make it three four hours. They're gonna kill me. I'll be dead in twenty four hours, Matt. And Matt is like, this is Matt before he's learned about the streets and learned about how the streets work and how York works. He's like, what are you talking about? Like this system works, go in and be fine. And Matt and Foggy at this point don't realize that they are like a cog in the Fisk machine, the organized crime Fisk machine, the legal art. We stay in the past again, the early days of Fisk and Vanessa, and this is Wilson Fisk's mind palace. Now he is talking with his former right hand man Rip Wesley, and they're discussing, like ways to diversify his illegal cash hoard and what about bitcoin? And West is like, I don't like bitcoin, it's too volatile. Let's get you into art. I know somebody with a gallery who you can talk and this is Will and now we go to the President and Wilson is gets to watch like Vanessa in brain surgery.
Speaker 2: Insane by the way, Like get him out of that, he's duty. He'd just been scrapping in the kitchen, Like, no, I don't have a big window anyway. I've always wondered that, why is that real or do they just have that in movies, because like people really be watching surgery like that in the Symptoms.
Speaker 1: It feels like something like a throwback to like the early days of medicine when people would sit in the gallery. Yeah, because like medical and learn how to do it type yeah, learn how to do it anyway, madd index are still like straggling through the Morlock tunnels to these.
Speaker 4: Fucking vast labyrinth of crazy.
Speaker 1: Matt is dragging him forward, I guess to some sort of like a hospital or a night nurse situation. We get another flashback Foggy and Matt. Now this is Matt's flashback mind palace and they're working at the at their lawyer's office for and uh. They are in trouble now because they didn't let the guy cop a plea because he was like I'm gonna get killed they work over the weekend. They're working on the papers, coloning papers, and Foggy realizes that the warrant from McCoys to the wrong address, the whole thing is like fruit of the poison tree. It's gonna like fall apart. Foggy's like, why don't we just like scuttle the case with like destroy the case, because like we've got this evidence that they didn't file the evidence tree is poisoned, and we'll get him out of jail.
Speaker 4: And Matt is like, we can't do that because he's a bad guy. He should be in jail.
Speaker 1: We got to you know, we can't scuttle our own case. That's like against how.
Speaker 3: The rules work.
Speaker 1: And they argue about it, and Foggy says, like, we have to do this. We are McCoy's lawyers, and yeah, exactly advocate for him.
Speaker 4: Still in the still in.
Speaker 1: Flashback world, but now Wilson fisks flashback, which is very confusing. We just like are going through flashbacks.
Speaker 4: The memory palaces are real. It's a it's like like the Morlock tunnels.
Speaker 1: It's sprawling, and we see Wesley set Fisk up with It's like, hey, you need a hit man, I got a great guy, and we all know who this is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, so I guess this is like, is this Dan's anyway? I guess this is maybe Dan's flashback. Dan is now watching the news break on s N one Vanessa Fisk and critical condition. This might be Buck's flashback. I mean, rather, Yeah comes over. It's unclear to me where.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Buck comes over, and then they're gonna go get the mysterious hot dog slash street meet slash.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a good point. Yeah, So Buck is like, let's go get a hot dog now.
Speaker 4: So it's that.
Speaker 2: Confirmed that it was supposed to be a hot dog in the.
Speaker 1: Other right, Well, no, hold on, Aaron is saying, this is pretty Yes, I know this is present day, but the Wesley setting Fisk up with a hit man is a.
Speaker 4: Flashback, And the question is who's flashback. It can't be Matts. Oh, it's probably there because Buck is the hit man the.
Speaker 1: But then it can't be Bucks because Buck also wasn't there, so it must be Fisks because Wesley is dead anyway, very confusing. Right in the present, the subject of Wilson Fisks flashback. Buck comes up to Dan and it is like, let's go get a hot dog. Now we've gone through the hot dog thing in the in the discord, I don't want to go through it. I'll just say that, however, that object was wrapped in the previous episode.
Speaker 4: There's much a hot dog. That's not how.
Speaker 1: Hot dogs are wrapped in New York, that's how subs are rapped, whatever. But now they're going to get a hot dog. Who knows what they're gonna talk about?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 2: And Dan honestly like, don't go. That's my biggest thing, is like I just feel like, don't go. I'm sorry, bro, Like I know you have an excuse, go see your mom or something.
Speaker 1: Murati comes over after the surgery and is like, hey, it went well and I'm very hopeful. But you know, this isn't like a car repair shop. I can't tell you that. Like it's gonna work, yeah, which obviously Fisk is unhappy about. But what's he gonna do.
Speaker 4: Buck is not going to get a hot dog. He is driving Albany.
Speaker 1: They're going up to the capital region and Buck is like, let me tell you a story about a young special Forces guy in Afghanistan sas guy, and over there in Afghanistan. He's just committing war crimes. Years could shoot cutting out like teeth, just killing, killing, killing, killing, assassinations. And by the way, proud of it, loves loved his work, loved what he was doing. And he's and he's like, by the way, that's me. And then he says, by the way, I'm very loyal to Wilson Fisk because he just he saw something in me. They stop at a house somewhere and Buck is like, stay in the car, Dan, I'm gonna go in there and handle something or other. Dan is pretty much freaking.
Speaker 2: He is sure that he was about to get muddered, like one hundred Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's Adriana, like in the car, like on the drive, like in the last drive, like he's feeling the heat. He's seen that episode of the Sopranos. He knows a guy that looks like his father in it, and he knows it, like this is how it's done right. He almost gets out of the car and runs, but then he doesn't, and Buck comes out with like a sawzall and a shovel. I would probably die just then in the car, like I just have a hot We get another flashback and now it seems like this is Buck's flashback because Buck is there. It's young Buck Cashman, the hitman that Wesley called, and he's getting his first assignment for Wilson Fisk, which is to kill Matt and Foggy's client McCoy, who is just now getting released from jail thanks to Foggy. Matt i Corumbah and McCoy is knows he's gonna die soon.
Speaker 3: Let's go to break well right back, and we're back.
Speaker 4: In the present.
Speaker 1: Matt finally through the tunnels, gets Decks to the church hideout, and we get some more of Matt's recollections in the mind palace. We see Foggy gives McCoy money. It's like, you know, he emptied, like his savings account is like get out of it, like you gotta get out of town, Get out of town. And in the present, Decks and Matt get philosophical about religion, about balancing the scales, about violence and the whole thing. Powell shows up at the church. The priest opens the door and it's like.
Speaker 3: Ooh's going here.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Matt and Dex are like in the hideout, which is up in the attic somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're like going to hide.
Speaker 1: Like further up in the church, Matt goes to run, but then he goes back to save Decks, despite Decks being Foggy's murderer, like.
Speaker 2: Lay me, like just leave me, Like I don't not leave to go, and like I gotta save you because I'm Catholic, I guess I gotta do it, and they get away.
Speaker 1: Up in Albany, it's basically the Pine Barrens episode from Sopranos, which again is ironic.
Speaker 3: They pull into the woods.
Speaker 1: Dan is like, fuck, Buck's gonna kill me now, and he's like begging for his life.
Speaker 3: Let me go.
Speaker 1: I don't I didn't liak the videos. I don't know who leaked the videos, and just let me go out.
Speaker 4: And he's like are you loyal? Are you loyal? Are you loyal? And he's like I'm loyal, man, but like just let me so fucking loyal.
Speaker 1: You can't you can't believe how loyal aim And he's like, well, I need you to prove it now. And then he pops the trunk and it's Christophe's body in the trunk and he's like you gotta help me cut up this body and fucking bury.
Speaker 3: It, which is disgusting, but I know.
Speaker 4: It's better than dying, so you gotta do it right, and you didn't kill the guy, so it's.
Speaker 2: I know, it's like, this is so tough, though, because I I love this moment for Dan, because they play it up so well where you really think that Buck's gonna kill him because he's obviously been leaking shit to b B.
Speaker 4: But then instead because.
Speaker 2: Buy he like the time, like calm the bus on. He's probably the one who gave her the key to the basement of fucking Gracie Mansion to make the videos like come on bar and but I love that. Instead, it's like Buck almost giving him a second chance. He's like, look, whatever's going on, Just fucking chop this body up and then you're as commis as the rest of us and there's.
Speaker 4: No other leaking.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like he's giving him a chance, but also you should probably leave at this point, I guess.
Speaker 1: So we go back to the flashback of Matt and Foggy and it's actually Bucks flashback this time, and it's Buck killing McCoy for Fisk, and Buck gets away with it. Back in the tunnels. Man is Now they're back in the fucking tunnels again.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And this is the tunnels, by the way, connect to check a random restaurant, to the church, to Frank's basement hide out.
Speaker 4: These are incredible and I.
Speaker 1: Hope they use these in the MCU for the Morlocks for real exactly.
Speaker 2: And also as well I go in, I'm like they apparently also like are implied to connect to like CLA's house because he mentions that he's gonna take him to the night now. So I just love this, and let's make a blueprint system. Guys, come on, let's walk out wherever all of these places connect to. It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: So they go to Frank's hideout. Karen sees them staggering. It's like, fucking kidding me? Is that fucking decks the murder of Foggy Nelson our great friend together. Meanwhile in the hospital, you know Fisk is in is in deep, deep, deep depression. But then Vanessa puts her hand on Fisk's hand and it's like a ray of sunshine hits the great bald head of Wilson Fisk and he fucking loses it is weeping like a four hundred and fifty pound six six foot seven baby cry like weeping hard shutters of weeping lacromos.
Speaker 4: Vanessa's like, yeah, Vanessa is like, you know what, I'm parched after my brain surgery. Will you get me a pineapple juice with ice?
Speaker 3: You don't like pineapple juice? Oh oh.
Speaker 1: And it's very clear in this moment that Vanessa, from whatever happened to her, she's like, she's different now, her personality has maybe shifted.
Speaker 3: She's a different woman.
Speaker 1: And she's like, and while Fisk is grappling with this sudden predilection for pineapple juice, which formerly Vanessa hated, Vanessa is so specific. Vanessa is now like, tell me a story, tell me a story of how we met. And we know that in her mind palace, in her dying mind palace, she's been thinking about this, and she talks about She's like, by the way, remember the painting. Remember the day, Remember when we met and I sold you the painting. I overcharged you by a lot, I went, I would have paid anything.
Speaker 3: I would have chopped off my leg.
Speaker 4: I would have given an arm and a leg and.
Speaker 6: Jump boyfriend in the dungeon. Oh I did that anything. I would have given you the last drops of my blood for that painting because it gave us our time together, and she's like, wonderful, I still want to hear that story about how we met. But before he can even get to that, she has a fucking seizure and the next thing you know, she's going into that big bright light that is hell, not heaven, because she's going downstairs.
Speaker 2: No way, she's saying that great big marble studios with the sky baby, I mean way, she's doing hell.
Speaker 1: And she's going, going, going, and she's gone.
Speaker 4: But as the physicus out here, she is dad, oh no, And we know now this means that's the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: We'd like go in silence to the to the end of the episode, and we know now this means Wilson Fisk is gonna be cut loose and he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be fucking it's gonna be wild, man like he is not gonna They're gonna need to send Where's where's Matthew Lillard?
Speaker 4: Bring him back because.
Speaker 2: You're gonna on the manas like you've just been letting him run around like crazy out here.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to an ad and we'll be right back with Aaron to talk about this episode.
Speaker 4: Ri I P so many flashbacks. I didn't even really realize when I was watching it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we got to talk about that too.
Speaker 4: And we're back.
Speaker 3: Welcome eron to the show, Aaron, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 7: I'm really excited to be here for Vanessa's retirement tour where we all just look fondly on her, her incredible pillar in the art community.
Speaker 4: She's never done anything wrong in her life.
Speaker 3: I know our community just focus.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean she was on she was on Banksy before anybody else.
Speaker 2: I also want to say I appreciate that she was scaming Wilson from the get go like that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a scambro.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the flashbacks for a second, because it is a little so it's so it's clear that there are there's Matt's flashback early days of him and Foggy, there is Vanessa's flashback early days of her and Wilson. There is Wilson's Wilson's flashback him and Wesley hiring Buck. And then there's been talking about flashback his side of it, and they all kind of mixed together in this very weird here's my pitch ready, Brad window, Here's how you make sense of this, this is the watcher. This is the of the watcher, understanding the entire story as one story, Brad.
Speaker 4: Because Jason said that's free.
Speaker 2: That's I like that too, because not to be too philosophical, but like, are we not the watchers of this so connecting shit?
Speaker 4: We are the overseers who keep this all going so and no matter how many things you post, one cannot interfere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we cannot interfere exactly. Like, but when we're seeing it like that. I like that explanation because it kind of when I was watching it, actually it did flow together in a way that made sense. But when you're going back and saying how many flashbacks you are, you like, wait, this is kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: Like it reminds me of Listen.
Speaker 1: It's very much like you don't notice until you start picking.
Speaker 3: Your part exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like saving Private Ryan the entire Okay, saving this is off topic, but we're gonna no, no, I need this die badge and come on, Stephen. A concept saving Okay, Saving Private Ryan opens with an with an aged Private Ryan and his like three hot granddaughters going to the graveyard at Normandy Beach, right, and he falls on his knees in front of the gravestone of Captain Miller, understanding that this great sacrifice had happened in order to save him. And then he goes into his mind palace to recollect about this great adventure, and he starts on.
Speaker 4: D Day and he's not there exactly.
Speaker 1: He's not there for sixty seventy five percent of the story until he shows up, so he doesn't know about any of this. And it's very if you can't like whatever, if you that's all, that's all I'm saying, Aaron, sorry to cut you off your thoughts about this episode.
Speaker 7: I mean, I feel bad for anyone who didn't get a flashback, because, like you said, we were going real, real fast and loose with who got him? It was good to see flash No Karen, No, Karen, Yeah, No McDuffie, what was she doing back then?
Speaker 4: I love you said this Jason earlier. I love Wesley.
Speaker 7: Wesley was my favorite part I think of season one, and it was so nice to see him back.
Speaker 4: And it's I like Buck. I like Buck. I like Buck.
Speaker 7: Here in the flashback where he's dressed like Bucky, he like literally looks like Winter Soldier. He has the exact same Marvel outfit. But Buck is great, but he's no Wesley Man.
Speaker 3: So it was so cool.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of this episode that felt like the greatest hits of season one.
Speaker 2: Kind of yes, I feel like they were trying to deal with that, especially with like Vanessa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Vanessa's death scare the Sewers is just like when Matt and Vladimir are in the Sewers and Vladimir's like leave me and I'll gun them down, and you know, Matt and Foggy arguing about what's right and ethical.
Speaker 4: You know, it was situation.
Speaker 2: Good to show here that Foggy was really the more radical one, Like he's kind of theigiration behind Matt's knew Wow.
Speaker 7: You know, like I really like that. I like that they reached out to him, like we want to bring you back for one episode. We're gonna just insult you the whole time. We got the mean, mean nicknames for you. But you're gonna come back and you're gonna give away the money.
Speaker 4: It'll be nice, and you're gonna be the right. You're gonna be in the right. Yes, you'll be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about Vanessa and her wanderings in the mind palace and what I thought, I have to say was a very effective rug pull.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed this the technique in.
Speaker 1: The craft here because I was like, oh, she's gonna be she's gonna live, but she's gonna be like totally different now and this.
Speaker 4: Is and she's not gonna be a criminal.
Speaker 1: This has happened and she's gonna remember it and she yeah, and she's gonna be like good now exactly. She likes pineapple juice now and she hates crime.
Speaker 2: Pineapple juices like has so many weird connotations too.
Speaker 4: It's like so couldn't be any other juice, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a strange choice, but she loves pineapple juice hates crime. Like I was really did not see this as like timon I I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was a twist and so and right when you're I'm grappling with that, like okay, so this is gonna be fisk is gonna have to like figure out like she's gone, Oh it was. I thought it was good. Aaron, how is how did you react to to this twist?
Speaker 7: Yeah, when she comes back and asks like tell me the story about us, Like I love that, you know, this like humanizing Fisk. I think the show is at its best when you you kind of are on fisk side.
Speaker 4: A little bit, even though that's why they yeah story.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and again with the season one, you know, backstories and everything when you're getting his flashbacks and what his dad was. But and then when she does it again, I was like, oh, so does he is? She now gonna have no short term memory and they're gonna be together, but he's gonna be even more sympathetic and doing even more horrible things on the side. And then to completely take her out of it. You're right, Jason, Like, we are going We're going to get Fisk. He's been on his he is going to be so well and he already beat.
Speaker 4: A guy that death in the ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now he's gonna be completely unleashilled.
Speaker 4: He killed his boxing coach just because he was mad like.
Speaker 2: And the boxing coach was not at the boxing match, so I know him do well?
Speaker 4: Like No.
Speaker 2: I love this because this essentially sets up for the last few episodes of the show, allowing Wilson to be completely off the reservation, like he is out completely in a different situation. He is not gonna have Vanessa tying him down he's not gonna have the ideas of respectability.
Speaker 4: Tying him down.
Speaker 2: Like I think this is where we see him go from mere fisk to mere kingpin. Basically, I think that's what we're gonna get.
Speaker 7: You're I think you for forget which one you said it last week, but the idea that you know, when we get the Governor saying to Vanessa, you're the only one that can control him, I trust you to keep his his worst things in check, that was that we should have known, you know that. Yeah, that's just the setup. That's like, okay, it's been loaded. The gun is here, like Chekhov is going to shoot.
Speaker 4: And we are.
Speaker 2: I think you make a great point too, because now that Vanessa, because obviously you know she was in our deadpool. So I think we all got points for that one after last episode. Good for us RP Vanessa. But I also think Aaron, this heightens the risk of the Governor dying because there's no one. Now he's just gonna be like, yes, like's is.
Speaker 4: Gonna move on.
Speaker 7: The Governor has to. I mean when he has to take her out. When says they're going to Albany, I thought they were doing. I was like, oh, Okay, is Dan gonna have to kill her? That was what I thought, but instead, you know, the date midday undertaking, I guess is a similar thing for Dan.
Speaker 4: But still, guys, Albany is a crazy place.
Speaker 2: If you ever been there, it's like insane that it's the capital, Like it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, the capital region in general is a very strange, complex thing, and Albany is like a hollow town.
Speaker 4: That's the best way to describe it. Like everything is like closed, everything is creepy.
Speaker 1: Everything is close a center of government for the entire state, and there's like what you know, big city, big medium sized city ish and it's like there's the one main street where stuff is kind of open.
Speaker 4: Wander out of that and it's like a cardboard town. Terrific. I went there for.
Speaker 2: A wedding and literally, like the afternoon when I wasn't wedding in I like managed to find like one good slice of pizza and then everything was just like a weird, creepy like kid's clothes shop or something, and nothing was branded. It wasn't even like an H and M. It's all like weird indie mum and pop shop, very limited weird.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I feel like Albanie is exactly the kind of place where you're gonna get killed by an assassin, So I feel like her being there is not going well for her.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the I mean, it must be weird to be in an episode of a show that feels like it is like mirroring the show that your father was famous for. Yes, I wonder if you like this is a very I mean, Dan's plotline is an extremely Soprano's plotline. I think they cost you one, but even more so this time.
Speaker 4: That must be so crazy.
Speaker 7: And at times it's not because at times it's dealing with social media and it is dealing with a very different side of things. This was so like him bringing out an electric saw and a shovel. This could have happened anytime in the last thirty years, kind of.
Speaker 2: I also like, I kinda I love it too, because he did play his dad right, and they did like a Sopranos sequel.
Speaker 3: He did play movie sint of New Jersey something.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And and like I love that he's getting to kind of do a virgin here where him being in it is metatextually referential, but he's also getting to have a storyline that you would never really fully get to have in The Sopranos if you were playing Tony Soprano's son, which is like you're really dealing with the reality.
Speaker 4: Of getting into this. It's almost like a what do they call him?
Speaker 2: Like before you're made man, you're like a funny guy or something shit, you're a social or whatever like so like it's kind of like him taking that watching him get to choose whether or not.
Speaker 4: To take that step.
Speaker 2: And I have to say something that's incredible about the young active place Dan is like I still don't phoene. Yeah, I still don't fucking know, Like I don't know if he's gonna ultimately do the right thing or if he's gonna turn on Beebe because he is the heir apparent and Buck sees him that way, and Buck not killing him and giving him this opportunity is telling him you can be next.
Speaker 1: It's a really great performance, Like I really am enjoying I love that Michael Gandelfini's performance in this show because it is he there's not a ton like on the page, but he's bringing the tension of he's very fond of Bee of Biebe, to the point of clearly as a crush on her, but also she's coming to represent this like pull of like the right thing versus the pull of the wrong thing, like a human of doing the right thing, just generally, like being a good person versus being pulled into, you know, further into Wilson's orbit via Buck. But also like there's that layer of he like loves the trappings of yeah he's marriage. I love it, Like yeah money, he gets to be at the scrap and at the kitchen boxing match where a guy died. He bulls like Kilvanessa, like he's in the room where it happened, and that's very seductive to him, even though he knows that it's all wrong.
Speaker 4: And I just think it's a great performance.
Speaker 2: I love that too, Jason, because you also pull on something that originally I thought was actually a kind of.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily like a plot issue.
Speaker 2: But we had kind of talked a lot about how Beebe's choices are like often really silly and like she doesn't do.
Speaker 4: A good job.
Speaker 2: She's she's often bringing dumbbe energy. But I actually think that in the grand scheme of things, the show is making a point, which is like the people who are trying to do the right thing, often make mistakes.
Speaker 4: They're leaderless.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't get a lot of fucking good shit from being on the right side of history. But everything that Buck does, everything that you know freakin' Wilson Fisk does, it has a sheen of like, this is success, this is the real world. This is the well done, well put together world. Are you gonna give that up for someone who's just constantly making dumb mistakes, even if she's doing the right thing. Like, I actually think that they're leveraging it in a really interesting way.
Speaker 4: I completely agree.
Speaker 1: He's got like a sick two or three bedroom apartment, townhouse kind of fucking five die or somewhere. Yeah, he's gonna say definitely, like that's a seven eight thousand dollars apartment. He's obviously not paying ten thousand dollars apartment. And it's like, Okay, this is great. Obviously this is awesome. But you're gonna have to cut up bodies, yeah, to keep to maintain this. And it's played out through him.
Speaker 4: It's wonderful. I read.
Speaker 7: I actually read in the hospital in the beginning, when he's talking to Bibi about Vanessa's status. I kind of read that as him giving her one last chance, like I'm gonna feed.
Speaker 3: You this, don't like, please please.
Speaker 7: Don't leak this, and he he knows she probably will, but he I couldn't tell.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell whether in that moment it was that and this is why Mike's so great as an actor.
Speaker 4: But like or if in that moment he was like, actually.
Speaker 2: Fuck, people do need to know what's going on, and if I tell her then they're gonna know. Like, I couldn't tell whether I think in his mind he can play it as I'm giving her one last chance. But I'm starting to feel like at this point he knows what Beebe's doing, So anytime he tells us something, there's like at least a ten percent part of him who thinks it's important that the public. No, it's really great, and I don't know where it's fucking Galley.
Speaker 7: There's another thing that it's it's great. Another thing this episode did. They've been doing it the past like three or four. Really they do. They mirror storylines. So Matt's got something going on here, Fisk has something over here, and they're they're swapping back and forth, and like Fisk and Vanessa in bed and Matt and Karen. I thought this episode it finally hit like they've done it pretty well, but in this one they nailed it, I think, And you know what, maybe they're using that technique a little too much.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know what.
Speaker 2: They love to do it because it's very Batman jokut, very like they're.
Speaker 4: The same, they're different. But I did really like it here.
Speaker 2: Because I think that something that's really interesting in this season, and especially when it comes to Decks, is like the different ideas of like love and forgiveness and like mercy, and this kind of idea of like the way that Wilson will fight to the end to save Vanessa because he sees that as his save you, she's the one person who keeps him human, who keeps him and Matt is going through that with Decks, being like, well, the one thing that makes me different than you is that I'm gonna fucking save you, and no matter how hard it.
Speaker 4: Gets, it's so good, like and it's funny. Yeah, you go great, Jason.
Speaker 1: I love my favorite bit in this episode this two. The first is the tunnels, which just crazy incredible how far they go. They go on fucking forever. It's like, it's just it's amazing how extensive they are. I don't know how Matt knows how to navigate them. I gotta smell or something he can smell.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, fucking stinks. So definitely.
Speaker 1: That and the way Dex keeps like Matt is like stop talking about Foggy, and Dex is like, I killed him.
Speaker 4: It was terrible.
Speaker 3: I feel bad.
Speaker 4: About it, and he just gets the yeah, I know he calt through.
Speaker 2: He's got so much guilt about it and he wants them to be okay, and it's like, bro, you are serial killer. Like you sorry, it's probably not gonna happen that you're going to become friends, but you know, I will say something that is very funny about watching this show is, you know, we talked originally when we were started covering it, We're like, wow, this feels kind of crazy that they've got ice, and like it feels like.
Speaker 4: It's up to date.
Speaker 2: And people in our discord were like, I don't know, man, things are so bad that this feels kind of soft. And now it is getting really hilarious because obviously we had scrapping in the kitchen and we saw Donald Trump at the UFC match on the night that that Iran wore kind of stuff fell apart, and then alleged negotiations that he said Jade banns Forth.
Speaker 4: Now the thing is right with all the Catholicism, I'm like, I was like.
Speaker 2: Well, w will well, well, will Willson Fisk, will he start a fight with the Pope?
Speaker 4: Will he called the Pope? Week Like, we need to see it.
Speaker 2: I can see it's getting too crazy, guys, probable we on crime. I could imagine Wilson Fisk saying that ship, like, come on.
Speaker 7: Before we get to the deadpool. I do have one concern. We are five episodes in. We still have no Jessica Jones, and.
Speaker 4: That's kind of crazy. But it's making me a little worried. It is shocking to me.
Speaker 3: We have what three more episodes.
Speaker 4: That's it, that's it. Okay, it's gotta happen next step.
Speaker 2: But happened next The people want it. I want it because actually.
Speaker 4: It has to happen next episode. Yeah, I want it.
Speaker 3: I want it.
Speaker 1: You can't show up in episode seven, no, no, or in the finale.
Speaker 4: That would be like, yeah, they wouldn't have ever allowed that to leak.
Speaker 7: In the let's hope she shows up in all three of them. I mean, because they praided her out as a big part of the marketing. She's in the earliest trailers and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you guys, my theory that I've had since the beginning that I'm hoping is true is the reason we haven't seen is because she is going to be in that like post Marvel Max post Her and Jessica, where her and Luke probably have settled down and have a kid. And I'm hoping that that's what we're going to see. It means we could get some squirrel girl action, could get some babysitting action.
Speaker 4: Could see Kamala.
Speaker 2: I would love to see Kamala Kahn as the New York's babysitter for superpowered babies. But yeah, I do think they need to bring her out. Also, I'll tell you the discord. That is what they're hungry for. Every single week. It's just Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. We want to see Kristin Ris, So let's hope. Okay, So, speaking of that, do you think we get to see anyone else? Do you think they're going to do a night nurse? I think she's quite likely at this point.
Speaker 1: Actually, I thought if we were going to get a night, well, it would be here in the tunnel. I thought, for sure, if we were going to lurking the fucking sewer she comes.
Speaker 3: But but it does.
Speaker 1: It did feel like if they were okay, wait, wait, wait, wait, it would be now why a recast?
Speaker 3: Do do you think that they could?
Speaker 4: I think they could get Risario Dawson still this.
Speaker 2: I think they could get her right now, like what she been in, like, but that's a Disney show.
Speaker 4: But this is such a minor I guess maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm like, but them, I wonder if it's easy to just bring her back for like wing or a nod like a I'll just say that.
Speaker 1: I think that would be cool. And I think that well, I think you have to have.
Speaker 4: You know. I think if Jessica, you think we have to have Luke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Luke's got to show.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 7: I think the longer point, the longer we wait for Jessica, the less likely we are to get anyone. You know. I don't know, I I think I said in the very first episode, when Dex saves Matt in Cherry's apartment against the a a v TF. I thought that was gonna be Jessica, and I was amazing, We're going to get her episode one, she comes in, she's she's here the whole time, and we get like almost a Defenders type thing.
Speaker 4: So I'm I'm worried that we will.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say, if you put your earmuffs over your head, guys, if you don't like season three spoilers.
Speaker 4: But there has been some.
Speaker 2: Leaked photos that have confirmed that certain people are coming back for the next season, So maybe that does mean that they kind of they maybe pop the cork a little early on saying Jessica was going to be in it, and she's more of like an end season thing that leads into the next season.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I hope.
Speaker 2: I hope that she has a bigger role because her and Matt have always been so funny together. Obviously, I would love to see, you know, a little sheeholc action. I don't think that's gonna happen. It's not that kind of show. Where do we think going off this, like, well, I guess let's do the Deadpool because I was gonna be like, where do we leave the big guys, Like, where do we leave like a Wilson after this, you know, because I don't think they get rid of him.
Speaker 4: But it's still look bad.
Speaker 7: At the end of last episode, Jason, you had Governor McCaffrey, Beebe and Dan Rosie. You had beb Yah yah v and.
Speaker 4: And yeah because Vanessa is dead, so.
Speaker 7: Right, and I had Governor McCaffrey, BB and Karen. So all of us did BB. Two of us did Governor McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: And that was it. That was the only similarity.
Speaker 1: Okay, I I so obviously Vanessa rip I'm gonna throw. I mean, how old is Donofrio sixty seven years old?
Speaker 2: I know, I do think that's a badroom where he liked does become the He's ok Donafrio.
Speaker 4: Is sixty six? Do we think can he run it out?
Speaker 1: This is a physical ass role and you can feel it in those fight scenes.
Speaker 4: Oh, like there's a lot of coups.
Speaker 1: It's they're cutting, you know, every punch is like three different cuts and they're cutting it all together. And so can he keep Can he keep doing this? I think he's got it. I think he's got a little bit more left than him, Like it's a Lebron situation.
Speaker 4: I think yes, two in him.
Speaker 1: But at some point we've got to start looking at at off ramps for Wilson Fisk.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be now, but I do think get ready for Wilson Fisk in the Deadpool in coming years.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say b b or Dan the Governor for my Deadpool, and then I'm gonna say I'm gonna say Cherry the guys had two heart attacks. Oh my god, how is he still alive? He could already be dead and we wouldn't.
Speaker 7: Even before you go in Jason talking about Kingpin and an off ramp. Do you think he'd be effective as a villain if he's not physical. He's there as a looming force and he sort of manipulates things behind the scenes. He never gets into a physical altercation with Matt or anything. Would that still be effective?
Speaker 4: No, because he's.
Speaker 1: One time a season he's gotta like throw a guy through a wall your fight like ten inches.
Speaker 2: Yes, probably be Like he would leave and like you'd only see him in those moments where he had the power, like even if he was resting or was the Machiavellian puppet master kind of like in Spider Use, you still gotta have him be that looming figure at least once, especially in a show where he we've literally sent him crush someone's head.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I think if we're talking about the movies, you can see g the ship out of this and it doesn't have to be him. But I think for the TV it's gotta be him. And again, watch that fight scene. There are so many cuts and there are moments where he has to run a little bit, you know, and it's like, good, yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: Run and I'm fat seven. Okay, guys, I'm gonna I'm gonna go okay I do. I'm gonna put in a random one just because I know the way that Marvel. What I'm gonna say, I think, like Detect of Kim, I think they might just kill her off because they.
Speaker 3: Need to kill somebody.
Speaker 2: She's barely up there, like they just have to accidentally get hit by a bullet.
Speaker 4: It's feeling likely. I'm also gonna go round. I'm going outrageous because.
Speaker 2: Karen's face, like when when she saw I'm putting decks.
Speaker 4: I think Karen might.
Speaker 2: Kill Decks because I they have been they have been putting a good one they've been putting this feelers out of, Like is she gonna turn full frank? Like we know that the Punisher special that we saw the teaser fab was very different in tone than I was expecting, much more like.
Speaker 4: Death, death, killing death, killing death.
Speaker 2: And I do wonder if that ultimate conflict between Matt and Karen is gonna be what breaks him up if she takes that step he can't take, So that's gonna be and then who's last?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go for BB. I still think she's moving too mad? Can I Can I pitch something?
Speaker 7: Can I?
Speaker 1: Just like quickly before before your Deadpool? Can I pitch something for Karen? Yeah, Lady Lynn Michaels, lady Lady Punisher.
Speaker 4: Oh I would love it. I love a lady Punisher.
Speaker 2: I made a trans punish a character called front see Castle like years ago, just like a shitty sketch, like.
Speaker 4: They need more Punishers.
Speaker 2: Everyone else gets a funny mantle, like they should keep passing it on. I mean, you wouldn't love to see this fucking Karen who we always know is a badass but has rarely gotten to do much and then now she's fucking rocking that little Punisher thing like I would love that Lady Punisher, miss Punisher, whatever.
Speaker 4: The fuck they want to call it, like, let's do it. That'd be sick.
Speaker 3: Okay, Aaron's go.
Speaker 7: Youre Deadpool, I think BB But I think it's because Dan. I think Dan's weak, and I think Dan has just had the shit scared out of him by the Albany trip, and I think he's he's gonna not be.
Speaker 4: Able to protect her anymore.
Speaker 7: Whether or not he's doing it intentionally, I think he's he's she's gone for because as a hymn bulls Eye, because Bullseye was like wanting to die, bulls Eye was okay in his mind. He was like, if Vanessa dies, it'll all been worth it. That's my one good deed. It doesn't matter how many other people I killed. As long as I kill Vanessa, that's enough. So I think he's true. He's got his off ramp already. And I'll put McCaffrey too, because I think she's she's screwed.
Speaker 4: I mean they're already.
Speaker 2: I'm like, unless she has like a secret superhero bodygud like she's getting got.
Speaker 4: Like, let's be real.
Speaker 7: You know she tried to play rival to Fisk and it didn't work that well. And now I think she's just done for And I think he's gonna.
Speaker 2: You threaten the Pirate Chata unless you have another secret chata like countrydicts.
Speaker 4: The Pirate Chota. Come on, babe, come on, you know.
Speaker 1: What I've come around to believing now Fisk and Buck, Oh it's baby, but they want to test Dan's loyalty. Yeah, I think they fucking know. Come on, how dumb?
Speaker 4: You know, how dumb can we be at this point? Like it's her, She's got.
Speaker 1: I ope him, we know and I and I really think this is primarily about will Dan.
Speaker 3: Can we get Dan to do it? Because I think killer right now?
Speaker 2: But ye, like, you know, they can fucking hire Decks again and killer, Like that's so many people who are willing to kill a.
Speaker 4: But I think they like Dan.
Speaker 1: They want Dan to be really part of the machine in a way that like nobody else but Buck is, you know, and I think they see him as like a future Wesley because Buck doesn't that skill set. Buck is just like a pipe hitter, but you know, like he's not like a smart strategy guy. I can tell you about bitcoin. Dan can do all that stuff, and obviously Shila doesn't have the guts to be that person, and so I think this is about this is probably Wilson Fisk pulling the strings, being like, let's see, let's test his loyal Wise, I.
Speaker 2: Also think so too, because I think that to be in Wilson Fisks suckle, Yeah, you have to be loyal, but they want you to have pressure points that they can play on. They want you to have weaknesses, they want you to keep secrets. So I actually think this is appealing to them because it gives them leverage over Dan. So I totally agree Jason. I think we're gonna see that the thing I can't work out. And again, this is really just fucking massive kudos to the actors. I feel like they're building such an interesting relationship between Buck and Dan, where every time it feels like it's something threatening, it's actually revealed to be Buck trying to bring him in closer and he's actually making the choice to back Dan. And I wonder if that is going to come into play where Buck's loyalties are even like and it's harder for him to deal with the Dan situation because he actually is the first one who said he's the heir apparent. He's the one that we care about. It's like Buck has this connection to him, and I'm starting to feel even that like maybe Wilson did send Buck out to kill him, and Buck said, actually, let's see if he chops up this body, let's see if he's loyal.
Speaker 4: Like I'm feeling, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like that relationship there is so interesting and we haven't had a lot of time with it, but they're both doing a.
Speaker 4: Great job to add a little more to what Yeah, everybody's doing it.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like there's just like really talented actress on this sea. They're doing a lot with really kind of not that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a lot I was gonna say, like with the Chroppic, I think that this show is still dealing with how much how chopped up the first season was.
Speaker 4: And then in an episode like this, you're basically want to.
Speaker 2: Interlocked multiple interlocking flashbacks, but there are also like is finally also getting into the groove of being able to successfully do the dueling plot lines and everything. So it's this really interesting space where there is a lot to get through.
Speaker 4: So a lot of the big moments you're like, yeah, that was great.
Speaker 2: It's a big moment, But the actors are like, I remember what the MCU could be. Like I'm trying to stay in this fucking show, Like I want to be this character, Like I want to make a relationship that the fans care so much about that you can't kill.
Speaker 4: Me, Rosie. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 7: And you said when you said the show is doing a lot with the chopping, I thought you were talking about them chopping up the dead body.
Speaker 4: Still, that's an interesting way to go with it.
Speaker 3: But we love.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue covering Daredevil Born Against season two here on Extra Vision and of course mal Shadow Lord.
Speaker 7: That's it for this episode, and the end of our Greatest TV Episodes will.
Speaker 4: Be the shocking end.
Speaker 1: Yes from Beef will be revealed and more drama.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, you will find out my enemy are true?
Speaker 1: Enemies are revealed in the final episode of the Greatest TV Episodes two thousand and that's it.
Speaker 3: For this episode that you're listening.
Speaker 1: Bo x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discord moderator