Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business app, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 2: This morning, Tehran has a new list of demands for the US to meet, before Aroan says it would open the strait of her moves. Even as Iran and Oman signal they're closer to a deal now, Ron says America needs to quote correct its behavior, as Vice President Jady Vance says there's progress, but it isn't over.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to remind people that we're really in the middle of the game here. This thing is not over. It's obviously not at the beginning. We're in the middle of the game, and we're applying a whole host of tools, diplomatic, economic, military tools, to ensure that we get the best outcome for the American people. I feel quite confident we will get there, but we're still a bit in the middle of the game.
Speaker 6: Vice President of Fox News.
Speaker 7: We are joined now by Bloomberg News White House correspondent Skylard Woodhouse and by Bloomberg News Middle East correspond Abirabu omar Ber.
Speaker 6: Let me start with you.
Speaker 7: And pick up on the metaphor they're used by the Vice President that we're in the middle of this game. Get us up to speed on what's happened here. Recently, we have an attack in Saudi Arabia on Saudi Ramco's jazz An oil refinery. Abu Dhabi's National Oil Companies and missiles targeted one of its vessels while transiting Hormuz on Saturday. It has been another busy weekend, providing the backdrop to this conversation about a potential conversation here between the US and Iran.
Speaker 8: Yeah, good morning, guys.
Speaker 9: A busy week.
Speaker 8: As a matter of fact, we've been reporting on this deal between Oman and Iron that was taking place, or the discussions about this deal to essentially re opened the strait of her moves. But a few caveats to bear in mind here from the Iranian side, they say that this reopening is temporary. They also added their own caveats, saying that in this temporary agreement, they're not going to allow US and Israeli flag chips to pass through the Strait of Hermos and they will start charging tolls to countries that they deem hostile, and so a lot of traders had viewed that term hostile as referring to countries from the GCC. And then over the weekend, as you mentioned, David, we saw an ADNOC flagged carrier that is the national oil company in Abu Dhabi being hit. ADNOCK reported that one fatality had happened and over a dozen injuries there. And then we also saw that the Hawthies in Sadi Arabia earlier had claimed that they attacked an Aramco facility in Jizan. Aromko did not respond to Bloomberg requests for comment, but they did confirm that there was a fire at an Oromko facility. So you're seeing this escalation in the region over and over really, and then no resolution site and this deal that we've been talking about about the reopening of the Street of Her Moves or the interim reopening of the Street of Her Moves. That really is all what it's about right now. We're not talking about a return to the MoU. We're not talking about a return to those major concessions that were reached in Switzerland. Some hardliners in Iran, to be sure, are saying that the US needs to compensate Iran. And then we saw a return to those concessions, including the blocked assets, the frozen the oil sanctions as well being lifted. But that is not the official line that we're getting from the diplomats or the officials in Iran that we've been hearing from since the beginning of this war. That includes the Foreign Minister, that includes the spokesperson for the Foreign ministry. And so it looks like it calms down a little bit and then escalates again. But one thing is for sure here I was listening to Vice President jade Van speaking. Iran maintains that Washington is not a part of those discussions, despite what we've heard from President Trump and the Vice President about them being part of those discussions. Iran maintains that mediators, assumingly guitar at this point are the ones that are delivering the messages. We also understand that Qatar is doing its own draft to start mediating to have those wider discussions, but for the time being, hermuse stas paralyzed. Pretty much, attacks continue to happen, and we don't have a formalized draft between Ron and Roman about that deal.
Speaker 2: Skyler, I want to ask you about exactly that. It seems like the US is saying they're monitoring talks, and you're getting that messaging from the White House. But folks I've talked to and the reporting says they don't seem to be in the room. Is the US involved? It seems at this point it's pretty much a bypartist a bilateral discussion, excuse me, between Iran and Oman. And also some of these lists of demands that you heard of Beer going through a list of the US naval blockade, withdraw the US military reparations, release of frozen Iranian assets. Those seem like non starters for the US. What does the White House do with all this?
Speaker 10: Yeah, good morning, guys. I mean, look, these talks are extremely fragile, and since this war started, that is exactly what we've seen. There's just been a continuing of being up and down. Obviously, the president wants to make it appear that things are going well, that talks are going well, or that things are potentially moving along, as there are a lot of rough patches happening right now. You know, what we've been, what we've seen in reporting and Bloomberg's own reporting as well, is that, you know, the president feels a bit boxed in right now and is really sort of trying to navigate what his next step is. And as he listens to his advisors, whether that's a Secretary of State Mark or Rubio, Vice President Jadvance, or Defense Secretary p Hegseeth, you know, it's really raising questions as to what is the goal right now, especially as it seems that these conversations are really not going you know, well, especially as we you know, learn and as Aaron you know, says that the US is sort of not really involved right now, and it's raising questions on well, who is the US really talking to right now in this war?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I want.
Speaker 6: To play a bit more sound here.
Speaker 7: The Vice president in conversation with Kaylan mc and any, the former Press secretory now on Fox News, talking about the White House's expectations.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: The Iranians, through different methods, have broadcasted that they look to tighten their grip on the Strait of Horror Moves.
Speaker 11: So in a theoretical deal, what would an acceptable status.
Speaker 9: Quo be for the strait.
Speaker 5: Well, our expectations, you're going to see the same amount of oil and gas come out of the Golf that you saw before the conflict started. That is what the Iranians have told us that they are going to do. That's what the entire Golf coalition wants to do as well. But you know, we don't trust.
Speaker 10: We verify.
Speaker 5: We actually look not at people's words, but at people's deeds. You see some people within the Iranian system, of course, talk about tolling. The Ranians have told us they have no plans to toll the Straight of Horror moves. But again, we're going to see what actions actually happen.
Speaker 7: You're on that notion of looking at people's words and trusting but verifying. You mentioned the Iridian foreign minister, and Bloomberg has reported that he said that were there to be some sort of agreement, we would not see kind of an instantaneous return to the level of energy passing through that strait that we saw before this war began. Could you talk a bit more about that kind of the White House's expectations for normality, which seem increasingly kind of pie in the sky in light of what we've been through here over the last five or six months.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're right, David, And I mean, you don't have to go by the words of and I know this will probably sound surprising, but you don't have to go by the words of either part of the warring parties. Essentially, traders don't even assume that this is going to be happening, or that this is even a realistic situation, purely due to the physicality of getting those stuck oil parrels that are in the strait of removes. So there's a reality situation here to be confronted once this happens, and then we're not even talking about a full reopen of the strait of Her moves. From the Iranian side, the US side seems more and more and more optimistic about once a deal is finalized or once Adala is here, that we're going to see the Strait of Her moves immediately all of a sudden open and all these oil barrels start making their way through the globe. You're talking about countries in the region who've had their infrastructure damage. You're talking about attacks on energy infrastructure that is still happening up until the early hours of the morning. And so there is the physical aspect of actually getting those oil barrels across. I was talking to a lot of ship owners and a lot of traders over the past week, and they confirm that even if there was an immediate reopening of Her Moves, let's say tomorrow, theoretically, of course, it'll take weeks in a best case scenario, if not months, to actually start seeing a normal trickle of oil barrels through the Strait of Her Moves. And that is not a base case scenario. David Dright, because we expect that this conflict will be back and forth for a while to come, especially with Iran's waking up to this fact at the start of this war, that it can assert dominance over the Strait of Hermoves and it doesn't have to hit hard, right, the mere threat of Irwan sending a drone to a ship or a vessel that is passing through the Strait of Removes is already causing enough jitters in the market and causing ships to really stay still until they're sure they can move across the waterway. And so we're not even expecting the immediate reopening of the Strait of Removes because this is, according to the Iranian side, not what is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Skyler in that vein, it's been interesting to watch the messaging from the White House from the beginning of the war, which is we're going to win, We're going to do this, when this to trying to almost redefine what a win looks like. In that vein, the Treasury Secretary Scott Besson talked to a local Arizona journalist and was saying, among other things, well, the Strait of her moves is going to become irrelevant in two years because we'll have other ways to transport this energy. Overall, is that what you're seeing from the White House is more of a recognition is they can't move the needle as much as they want to, so they're moving the messaging. And do you think that's going to be successful, especially ahead of the midterms, where things like gas prices are really going to matter, and they're really going to matter to this president.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, look, they want to paint a pretty picture and they want it to seem like they're in control of everything and that things are going well in their favor as they launched this war, especially as the November midterms creep up, and you know, American voters have not really polls have shown that they are not highly supportive of what the president decided to do in regards to the war with Irad. So look, what we've seen throughout the messaging from the Trump administration really since the president came returned back to office, is that, you know, they are seeking other ways. So you know, when trade deals were being disrupted left and right, the messaging was that, you know, we're we're starting new trade deals with other countries or we're going to have trade deals coming in other ways to offset those long standing trade deals that were disrupted. So we've seen that sort of messaging before that they pivot is something out to really amplify and to cover what is currently going on. And really only time will tell to see how that really resonates with voters, especially as these midterms near.
Speaker 2: I mean, when we talk about opening the straight there were some reports this week that Iran might be speaking to or might be willing to speak to the EU to come up with some sort of mind clearing capacity. If you remember we've talked about before, the US kind of outsourced that capacity to NATO about ten years ago, So most of those mind sweepers are within the NATO realm, within the Europeans. Have you heard anything more? Does that seem realistic? And what is the status of those minds? Is that something that's really front of mind for all these shippers and people you were just talking to.
Speaker 8: One percent, I mean, that is one of their biggest concerns, right, because there is the aspect of trying to move their way through the strait of her moves without having the risk of being hit. But then there's also the risk of mining. And we've recently reported that Iran might be softening it stands when it comes to involving EU nations. If you remember Christina, about a month or so ago, there was this little back and forth between Iranian officials and President Macom specifically in France, who said that France would be one of the countries that is willing to come in d mind and the response from the Iranian side was vehement refusal.
Speaker 2: To this.
Speaker 8: But we've reported, citing our own sources recently about a week or so ago, that Iran might be holding discussions with EU nations to help the d mining processes in the Strait of her Moods. And while that is a positive signal, of course, the fact that Iran might be softening it stands we're still talking about a deal between itself and Romain without Washington involved, with Washington or the United States still having its naval blockade in place, so a third party that is important, and all of this is not included in the discussions again according to the Iranian side, So we have to get over the hurdle of getting through these negotiations with Arman and what exactly the mechanism will look like before we get into any kind of discussion about removing those minds. Iran is keeping a really hard line about its dominance over the Strait of Removes and the mechanism sounds really complicated, but everything around it just suggests that Iran wants to maintain its dominance, and it looks like for the people who have skin in the game, for the ship owners who have to make their way through the Strait of Remous, they are seemingly tilting more to listening to the Iranian side. They've been seeking permission from the Iranian side to be able to make their way through the very crucial waterway, which, yes, according to the US US officials, is not going to be crucial in the next couple of years. That argument, according to many people, is not the base case scenario. Again, it might lose significance, but it will not be insignificant.
Speaker 6: We're always good to talk to you. Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Bea Bloomar joining us from our Middleast coorsepot of choice. This moriy skalskyiwood House, our White House, courspoond of joints Bedminster, where the President is over the course of this weekend.
Speaker 9: All right, thank you both.
Speaker 6: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 7: Right after this, Tarzan Hailey Stevens of Michigan joins us now, fresh off that Democratic primary she ran for Senative course finished second in that primary, with fewer than twenty thousand votes separating her from the winner. Abdulah Sayad, thank you very much for being here. Great to have you with us, and the message very much is was certainly on the heels of that campaign.
Speaker 6: Unity among the Democratic Party.
Speaker 7: And I wonder, Serf, what your life looks like in terms of politicking here in the week, said, will we see you campaigning with the Democratic nominee here in the days ahead?
Speaker 11: Well, I can tell you I'm still in my House position, right. So, I'm a Democrat who flipped a long held Republican seat in twenty eighteen. I held the seat in twenty twenty with Trump on the bail, and it was a district that had voted for him actually back in the sixteen election. And I'm really focused on the House. You know, I've talked to Democratic House leadership Hakeem Jeffries, Pete Aguilar, and I am very eager to to just flip some of these congressional seats like Christina Hines in Michigan's tenth district, you know, Congresswoman Hillary Skolton out in Grand Rapids. You know, it's amazing that we've got her leadership out there, and we've got another seat in Michigan's fourth district, you know, Sean McCann. These are good, just middle of the road, common sense Dems really excited to be sleeves rolled up alongside them, and the party knows you know, all the nominees, the whole ticket knows. You know, here in Michigan, I'm going to do whatever they want as I finish out the remainder of my congressional term. And I know that, you know, Abdul right, we campaigned against one another for a good year and a half. So I don't you know, maybe he's sick of hearing my voice.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm just kidding around.
Speaker 7: But but you know, he hasn't asked you to join him. He hasn't made that overture yet.
Speaker 11: Look, I'm not trying to draw him up drama, I don't you know. I'm Look, we did a big unity breakfast. There was you know, my friend Keith Williams was there. He's the chair of the Michigan Democratic Party Black Caucus. You know, I'm really proud to you know, I've had his support in my race. But we all know, you know, we're team them, So you know they're going to be figuring it out. They've got a you know, a quick runway, and I'm I'm not I think America, truthfully, if I can just be candidly, I think people here in Michigan and across this country, they are just so sick of this negative, nasty, constant campaigning, but hurt if you don't win. I mean, I've had a great ride. I mean I honestly, I was eighteen years old and knocked doors for the Democratic Party. You know, I was motivated to run because I saw Trump winning sixteen. I was working in an R and D lab and I'm thinking, oh my gosh, there goes the scientific research budget, and so I put up my hand for a long shot run for Congress. I won. You know, I want a six way primary, seven thousand votes similar to this one. Who are those you know, fifteen thousand, seven thousand people in these you know, in these primaries. I don't know if I'll ever know, but you know, I'm proud that my name and my message was out there. I'm proud to be a Democrat. And certainly some of the differences between my former Democratic opponent and they're out there. They're on full display. Everyone knows that what was said in the primary was said. You know, I am a passionate, you know, industrial policy geek Democrat. I'm a Zionist. You know, I'm certainly going to continue to say that loudly and proudly particularly as I'm leaving the halls of power. And I think that many fellow Zionists and both parties, and maybe in that independent column, you know, they've got to know that they're protected and that their security is important as well.
Speaker 2: But do you think that will be an issue for your former opponents you refer to him in the general?
Speaker 9: I mean this is from the New York Times.
Speaker 2: Some Democrats who supported you are clearly reluctant to rally behind Alsaiahed because many Jewish Democrats in particular, were dismayed about the way he criticized the Israeli government and APAC committees who super pac spent a lot of money to support you. When it comes to the general, are you confident that not just your former opponent, but several of these either self identified democratic socialists or more left leaning opponents can swing to the middle and get those middle of the road independent voters, which are really the only votes up for grabs in so many places that are so close.
Speaker 11: Well, I hope you don't mind. I'm drinking my cola. You know, it's the good stuff, right, But it's a good question, you know, I think the nominee is going to be able to you know, he knows what he was doing, just as I knew what I was doing. I mean, I can only speak to you know, my campaign right because I was living and breathing it. I mean, I don't want to get in it all. I'm not a big speculator of somebody else's internal thinking. I think we get into a lot of that and it gets negative. But you know, I was. My beliefs were fully on display. I was not hiding from them. You know, I want a to stage solution. I you know, want a Palestinian state. I want dignity for Lebanon and Syria. And I also, you know, want to see a Jewish state that is deeply persecuted continue to be supported. I'm really honestly proud of my record in the Congress, you know, on these Middle East issues. I'm co chair of the Congressional Task Force on Hostages alongside French Hill, who's a Republican from Arkansas. We coordinated regularly with the hostages held in the families of the hostages held in the Hamasa tunnels. That was a brutal situation. You know, Look, all Americans want long term peace. I don't think that's you know, hard to come by, and you know, again, I don't know who these handful of thousands of voters are, you know, in this primary. The way I look at the primary, I think abdul one he got more votes, and Democrats like Democrats, you know. And then in terms of this general election, you know, he's got all his you know, back the office. You know, political wizards and people who are going to give him advice, and he's going to have advice. And you know, Gary Peters, Alyssa Slock and you know Alyssa Slock and our senator soon to be senior senator. She's going to be campaigning alongside of Duel. You know, she's you know now going to be our senior senator. And that's just you know, I'm on my way out, and you know, of the office for that I love to hold. But I'm okay with that. And I'm going to help the congressional tickets and do whatever anyone else wants me to do. You know, I'm just happy to be on the team. Honestly, I love this country. I love American democracy. I love fighting for people to make government work for them. You know, it's unbelievable how many people need access to social security, disability and Medicaid and these programs that you know everyone wants to be fair and accessible, full funding for special education. Right, sorry to go on.
Speaker 7: But ok, we're gonna let yeah, I'm gonna have a swig of my beverage of choice, and then we're gonna bring it out of here's question.
Speaker 6: Happy, let me says a question?
Speaker 7: Right, all right?
Speaker 9: Obvious on you so conmis women.
Speaker 12: The race had barely been called, and you were out of the gate endorsing doctor l saied and you're on television having your morning coke. Uh uh, making the case for him and the Democrats. But this is one of the roughest Senate primaries I've ever seen among Democrats. It was personally rough. It obviously Israel and God's is a tough issue. I sometimes find supporters have a harder time coming into the fold than the actual candidate who lost. Are you confident the entire Democratic coalition can show up after such a rough primary?
Speaker 11: You know, I just am set in the tone for myself, okay and the people around me. I mean, I will say that there's a lot of energy for Democrats right now. You know, we've got Jocelyn Benson as our gubernatorial candidate, and she's doing a great job, and you know, folks are excited about her. I mean there's some just you know, general you know, enthusiasm from Detroit to Muskegan and on. But I will tell you Abby, we call it pop in Michigan.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm a good time and even if it's and look, I.
Speaker 11: Don't want to be all Pollyanna. I mean, politics is a blood sport. Okay. I knew what I was signing up for when I put up my hand to run for in this primary. I knew it was going to be a primary Congresswoman Hillary Scolton and I, you know, spent a lot of time chewing on it. She was a very close ally of mine in this race. She was with me on election night, and you know, we knew it was And then she said, Haley, the reason you do these primaries this. I've had a few of them, Okay. I had won with Andy Levin in twenty twenty two, and that one was major. I mean, oh my gosh, the sign on of Michigan democratic politics. Now that one I won by twenty points. I mean, it's this is just American democracy. But Hillary did say to me, she said look, you know how to do these primaries. You know how to bring people together when it's over. So I'm just doing it in the in the Haley way. I guess in my way not to talk about myself in third person.
Speaker 9: You know, I mean, I'm just David does it all the time. It's fine.
Speaker 2: I come in and you know it's it's David girl wants this. David girl wants that.
Speaker 11: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 7: Let me look the question, let me look ahead to the challenge that doctor Side's going to sign's going to face here. And that's when Mike Rogers, the formerngressman, and he talked about sort of how he sees this campaign playing on. Let's play a little sound for you've been I'll ask you about sort of the path forward here vis A viva comeing on.
Speaker 13: To the vast majority of people across Michigan who do not want to throw their support behind a campaign filled with anger, divisiveness, calls for violence, and the views that are out of touch with your values, Well, you have a home with us. The fight is far greater than just left versus right. The fight is for the very soul of our nation.
Speaker 7: They're the congressman, former Congressmans sitting on a couch with his wife making that case. How do you respond to that the way that Republicans are painting this is an example of there being an extremist candidate versus the more traditional American candidate. I mean, there's a lot of invective and insinuation here in the comments we've heard from yes, Congressman Rogers, but from the President as well. What is your counsel for how Democrats and Michigan should respond to that?
Speaker 11: You know, look, the parties exist, and Mike is in the Maga Republican wing, and he's got to answer for how he's going to lower costs for people, how he's going to deal with their rising healthcare costs. I'm going to tell you right now, everywhere I turn, I'm meeting you know, amazing Michiganders. I still am because they just saw me all over their TV, you know, for the last handful of months. And there's joy here for sure. You know, Detroit's on the rise, Motorcity's on the rise. But folks are you know, they're getting less money? You know, I really mean that. I talk to people who've been unemployed on occasion. Actually, there was a girl who just brought me door dash and we had a whole big comfab last night about her situation. She was all happy, she was she's resilient, but she's like, you know, I've been out of work for a year and she had a stroke, you know, a couple of years ago, in twenty twenty one, and just trying to kind of connect in And that's not I know, that's her individual story, but that individual story matters so very much, right I mean, I mean, and that's always what I tried to do as a rep, is just you know, help that one person, you know, and do it in ones and twos and networks. So I think when you ask me that question about Rogers, he's got to figure out what case he's making two people on what he's going to do for them. I'm not out here trying to give him advice. I you know, that's not my industry or my profession really, but you know, I did want to answer, and you know, a duel has come out of a major rough primary, and you know, and look, he's going to be out there making you know, his case to voters. To it seems like he knew how to do it because he just came out of this big one. So I don't you know, and and you know, there's certainly some questions and voters will start voting in about a month's time. We get early vote here, so we'll see and you know, pay attention to the votes that get cast. You know, we just have so much prognosticating in American politics. I mean people were calling this one. I voted on my at my polling location on primary day, and they were calling my race as I was coming out. Now, there was a swarm of press. You know, Congress over you're down fifteen points.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do?
Speaker 11: I said, well, you know, let's just get you know, I'm in this mode. You know, Abdul says he's not a socialist. I condemn socialism. You know this and that again, not trying to I don't really know Rogers. Okay, he went to Florida. I never served with him. Seems like he made a bunch of money. He's, like you said, he's sitting on the couch. So you know, maybe he's trying to go to the Senate.
Speaker 2: Now all right, well let me ask you about what you just referenced where you're saying, you know, I'm not a socialist. You said, Mike Rogers needs to decide what he's for. But there's a little bit of that within the Democratic Party right now. Right we've got this next phase and the progressive versus monitoratet fight that's coming up.
Speaker 9: Particularly in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: You've been talking to us about how long you've been in democratic politics, all your successes. You flipped the seat, you served your constituent, but you lost. Do you think that the Democratic Party is really taking these lessons to heart or do you think they're continually making the same mistakes, especially in these primaries.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't go into any of that. I mean, honestly, I think that we've just got this incredible, you know race that was just had. I think my coalition is awesome. I'm really proud of it. You know, I won Detroit by sixty seven percent of the vote. But I wouldn't be getting into mistakes. I mean, people just want healthcare, okay. I mean I want to fix government. I want to make government services work better for people. I was chief of staff on the US Auto Rescue. It was an emergency situation. My goodness, gracious, that worked really well. You know, an eighty billion dollar managed bankruptcy of General Motors and Chrysler, saving two hundred thousand Michigan jobs, of which we were repaid on interest as the you know government, as the American taxpayer was repaid on interest. I'm looking at our debt and our deficit, and I'm thinking, okay, well, why is our debt growing faster than our gross domestic product? Why is it growing faster than our economy? You know, I want to lessen our dependence on China to create jobs and lower costs. We got to focus on critical minerals. I did that with the Chips Act. You know, I'm a voice in the Democratic Party saying those things, and I think sometimes I get while you're asking the question, but one person doesn't define the Democratic Party. We are a big group, just I mean, the Republicans are a big group, and then there's this independent chunk just kind of swings and we got to I mean, honestly, at the end of my primary, I was saying, no American is my enemy. I mean truly, I just look, I'm there in the Congress. I mean I used to talk. I talk to everybody. I'm you know, except for the one from Georgia. Okay, but I don't want to poker because she she's tempestuous and she resigned, okay, but everyone else was by and large, you could talk to him. Duly elected member of Congress. I mean I came in, I don't know, I'd never served in Congress, and I got my first bill signed for early childhood education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Christmas Eve twenty nineteen, signed by Trump a week after the first teachmn. He still signed it. Hey that's America baby.
Speaker 6: There, that's America baby. I think is a good wed coming on.
Speaker 9: Please enjoy some pop for us.
Speaker 2: I think we've just got a coffee and water here this morning.
Speaker 9: Sures to you, and good luck with everything.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much to speak with you.
Speaker 9: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 7: Right after this, we back the Bloomber this weekend. I'm David Gerro with Christina Raffini, and this week parts of Europe will be treated to a rare celestial event that has not happened in nearly three decades.
Speaker 9: Should I sing?
Speaker 2: Shouldy to sing?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 6: Totally? Eclips of the heart, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 9: I value our audience more than that, all right. Eight totals, We don't.
Speaker 6: Have the riots. It's the main issue totally.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I'd be on pitch and effort to matter. But a total solar eclipse will darken the afternoon sky across Spain, Iceland and Greenland, with many other cities witnessing the event joining us now.
Speaker 9: I'm Abelle.
Speaker 2: She's an astronomer with the Royal Observatory of Greenwich right now on the Spanish island of Majorca, which should be right in the path of this eclipse. Are you as excited as our producer Patrick Becker.
Speaker 9: Who was so excited about this.
Speaker 2: We're doing a whole segment on it, but we're very happy to talk to you.
Speaker 9: Why do people get excited about it?
Speaker 14: Well, I don't know how excited Patrick isba I would probably argue I'm more excited right if it's a competition.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just heard take that in my ear from the control room.
Speaker 9: So what are you expecting to see? How big is this going to be?
Speaker 2: I mean when we had one of these over the US years ago, people kind of lost their minds. Are you expecting Are Europeans more chill about this or are you expecting a similar reaction?
Speaker 14: I don't know if Europeans are more chill. I feel like the reaction in the US was huge because that was a really important event. So many people, I think forty four million people saw the total sodar eclipse of the eighth of April or was it twenty twenty four, two years ago, and because that was such an event, it built up so much excitement that spread across the whole entire world. That definitely over here in Europe we caught it. And now two years on it's our turn, and you've sort of sowed the seeds for all the excitement as well, and so we're even more excited, I think, especially because US in Europe we've not seen a total solar eclipse since nineteen ninety nine. This is a huge event. We are so excited and we are not going to see a total sodar eclipse again in the UK for sure until twenty ninety. So this is a massive deal. In Palma, all the shops are selling soda eclipse glasses. There's information about it everywhere. Yeah, so we are very very excited.
Speaker 7: Talk to us a bit about totality and what's that that's like. I mean talking to friends and family who experienced the last time around here in the States. It sounded like a pretty magical couple of minutes.
Speaker 14: Yeah, no, for sure, it's totally magical after over a couple of hours. It depends on each clipse. The moon moves across the surf the disc of the Sun in the sky until if you're lucky, if you're in the path of totality, it will completely cover the Sun. Which is such a special moment because as well on the planet Earth, we are unique in being able to experience these total soda eclipses. For example, Mars has got two moons, Phobos and Demos, and if they go in front of the Sun, they don't completely cover the surface of the Sun. They do these little transits of the Sun. We are just so lucky that our moon and our Sun appear to be the same size in the sky. Because the Moon is four hundred times smaller and also four hundred times closer, they almost perfectly match up. So it's extremely special and some people describe it as quite eerie. The animals can react because the sky will get darker even though it's the daytime, it's not the right time, and so it can sort of confuse the animals a little bit as well. And I mean it is just so exciting because we go about our day to day lives forgetting because it's so easy to forget. We're all so busy, we're also stressed forgetting that we are just on a ball of rock in space nearly thirteen thousand kilometers wide, going around a star that's one hundred and fifty million kilometers away. And when you know the Moon, the Earth, and the Sun all line up like this, you see it during totality, it can remind us what we are a part of.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's been kind of a good year for the Cosmos.
Speaker 9: It's been a good year for space. We've had some.
Speaker 2: Pop culture moments, We've had some new technology here in the as, We've had this private sector of space race get an excitement. You've studied this for a while. I'm sure it's ebbed and flow. Do you feel like these kind of events kind of renew interest in this field of study and make people excited to look outside our atmosphere?
Speaker 14: I absolutely agree. I mean, solar eclipses are an opportunity for everyone to appreciate the scale of the universe, the scale of space. What were to make us you stop and have a little look, and that's what makes it so exciting. Everyone can appreciate the eclipse. You don't need that many tools to see it. I mean you can use it. You can view an eclipse using a colander, using a pinhole projector to eclipse to see the eclipse. So it means everyone can see it, which is why it's just so exciting. But as well, in terms of science, eclipses offer a extremely unique opportunity to study the Sun that you wouldn't usually get and a lot of our understanding of science comes off the back of solar eclipses. For example, one of our first one of the first bits of evidence we had to back up part of Einstein's theory of general relativity was during a total solar eclipse in nineteen nineteen, where we were able to see that actually the light from the stars that were grazing the disc of the Sun were in fact bent around the mass of the Sun, and we wouldn't be able to see that during the day until in nineteen nineteen when the total solar eclipse blocked out the massive light of the Sun, and they were they allowed astronomers to see these points of light, these stars and see how they had slightly been moved because of the mass of the Sun. Total solo clips allowed us to discover the element helium, which gets its name from the Sun from the ancient Greek god Helios. And today, not today, sorry, next week Wednesday, twelfth of August, a NASA mission will be they're flying a jets to chase the shadow, the Moon's shadow across the Earth so that they can study totality for longer. And they will be studying the corona of the Sun because the outer atmosphere of the Sun, which is a very mysterious part of the Sun, because it's heated, superheated to over a million degrees, which is what we're not entirely sure how that happens when the surface of the Sun is.
Speaker 2: Just very Coolbelle, thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Enjoy totality, appreciate your time on this Sunday.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Right after this, Welcome back to Bloomberg this weekend or Bete Dubs.
Speaker 9: I'm Chris and Raffini with.
Speaker 2: David Gerra and Lisa Matteo has some stories we might have missed this week and Lisa try it again.
Speaker 9: No hot talks time hot dog.
Speaker 4: They're not doing hot dogs.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 4: How about concerts. You guys have been to a number of concerts. You pay a lot for tickets.
Speaker 9: I don't, which is why I don't go to a lot of them. They're so expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're expensive.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 4: So that's that's the kind of the crust of the story. So this is the Wall Street Journal. It says, artist, crowd, please, are twenty dollars tickets for shows. So it turns out artists like Coldplay, Olivia Rodrigo, they're offering these tickets that are like twenty bucks. That's great, Coldplay did. They're called Infinity tickets. Olivia Rodrigo called it silver Star tickets. Even Charlie XCX she's going to do something like that to keep the resellers away. Though there's certain rules you have to apply by Okay, the tickets have to be picked up at the box office. You gotta go, you gotta go there, and you don't know where you're gonna sit until the day you go there.
Speaker 9: So those are things.
Speaker 4: But they sell out fast, and that's that's something. But it's not new. I mean, kid Rock has been doing this Garth Brooks. The Rolling Stones have this program called Lucky Dip that they've been doing. You kind of help people, like they want them to enjoy their music, but they need to make it a little bit affordable too.
Speaker 7: At the same in my household, eager to see Livia Ordrigo playing at the Barkley Center in a few months. Look at the ticket prices seven thirty nine each, seven eighty six, eight fifty four. It's been a hard conversation to have for one ticket. And these are not great seats. There are seats within the arena. But I'm good to know about this.
Speaker 2: But this is the same thing with like World Cup prices, where you get these crazy fans that just can never see these games, and that's not fair. You know, kids, you get to go see their favorite artists.
Speaker 4: I paid, well, that's a deal because I paid two fifty a pop for Garth Brooks, for Brooks.
Speaker 9: No, not Garth Brooks.
Speaker 7: It was Friends and Low Places, Brian Life, it was generation Away.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you it's expensive out there. Okay, So you mentioned going to these things concerts with your kids. When you go to the concerts, you buy them like hoodies.
Speaker 7: There's always a push for that game.
Speaker 4: You got to remember associated with everything. This is in the Washington Post. Teen hoodies are testing their class, it's limits and their parents patients. Okay, so if you've ever seen, I know my daughter's closet lined up stepped hoodies right across. And the problem is that they're worrying about how they're going to store these things. Okay, because the closets a running onund his pace. They're bulky, they're big, you know, how are you going to fold them? How are you going to fit them? And now these young teens are going to college and so parents are like, how are you going to fit all these in a dorm room?
Speaker 9: Personal for reasons.
Speaker 4: And what do you do? So they have like all these solutions. There's Facebook groups out there for this for people how to do it. My daughter says she's taken half, taking half the hoodies, and then she comes back from break brings those back up.
Speaker 6: Set.
Speaker 4: See you get a new set like the gift you yes, I don't yes, yes, if you don't get a hoodie, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know this.
Speaker 9: It's a thing. You go down the Jersey Shore, you get a.
Speaker 7: Hoodie there, you know, And I saw in your video there the old Goat USA.
Speaker 9: You know that brand?
Speaker 6: Boy?
Speaker 9: Do I see?
Speaker 13: I was?
Speaker 9: This was a conversation. No idea.
Speaker 6: What that's your wardrobe? I don't know either.
Speaker 9: So many hoodies in my teens. It's not something I have as an adult.
Speaker 2: But my parents who moved from Colorado still have like two full drawers of hoodies that I just left there when I went to college and never so haven't given me warned some mateo, the promises of hoodie.
Speaker 9: You know, carriage may not may not happen.
Speaker 6: This followed her hot topic goth stage that we still need.
Speaker 9: Yes, we do need proof of that.
Speaker 7: Drawing all together Saturday and Sunday to show across two days. If you're just tuning in today, you've missed a lot of the inside jokes.
Speaker 9: But it's a wonderful time.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful time. All right. Let me take you from hoodies to clothing you can wear to keep you incognito.
Speaker 9: Okay, let me explain, all right, This is from the Guardian.
Speaker 4: Adversarial clothing are garments designed to confuse facial recognition systems about to go mainstream.
Speaker 9: So let me explain.
Speaker 4: These are These are carefully designed arrangement of shapes, colors, repeated patterns. And they do is they throw off computer vision systems. So if you're if you're listening on radio, it's kind of hard to describe these patterns. I don't know, how would you guys describe. Yes, that's what it does to these these these visual systems that are out there kind of tracking people. So that's why they're wearing this. It's it's a little odd, but it's kind of with fashion. I mean it's it's it's how you you speak. It's a form of expression. So they're kind of voicing out their concerns against.
Speaker 7: You were talking about concert halls. I think now when you like go to a lot of concert venues for being kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, especially wanted New York had some controversial moments for allegedly using facial recognition, and people don't want to be on these lists. I mean, it's it's I think it's really interesting and I think it's interesting how they're trying to make them wearable to write. As you've put these up here, they're all different and some are some are colorful, and some are digitized, and that in itself seems like a bit of a fashion statement. Especially the story was it earlier this week about Camo becoming big as we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna it's cameo.
Speaker 6: I love that all together.
Speaker 7: It's vacation time, Vacation time boy.
Speaker 4: Martha's Vineyard, Good.
Speaker 7: Morning, ninety two nine Boston to our listeners in the Greater Boston area to the top of Mount catatam As Tom people.
Speaker 4: Would say, you rolled that out very smoothly. One of David Gurrow's favorite hotspots. Also, the Obamas have a house there, so it is a popular place.
Speaker 9: This isn't from Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Martha's Vineyard. Ticks drive tourists scrapt issue here, girls and rentals takes a big problem.
Speaker 6: They are.
Speaker 7: And deer ticks had been an issue there for a very long time. There were a lot of deer it's something that's immediately noticeable.
Speaker 6: But now there are these other.
Speaker 7: Smaller the loan star ticks, which transmit this alpha gl syndrome which gives you a meat allergy meat dairy products. And it's been really wild to watch a how that's spread. You hear about an anecdotally, and then if you go to shops or restaurants they sell food items that don't have those.
Speaker 4: Items and they call it like they call it that on the menu. It's it's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Can you not, I mean, can you not go to your fancy beach without like trudging through the tick laden bushes if they're just.
Speaker 7: Everywhere, this specific one is every and the lone starting ticks come after you, unlike dear ticks like they are aggressive.
Speaker 6: Sad that our radio listeners can't watch me do it.
Speaker 9: Thank you for yes, radio listeners really.
Speaker 4: Missed so not David Guru, though not David Lisa.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.