Speaker 1: As media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: I conducted interviews for this series in Spanish and French. Then I transcribed them and translated them, and we had voice actors read them. So when you're listening to this, please remember that everything you're hearing in English was recorded another language, and it's through the lens of my translation that you're hearing these people's words. As we always do, we have included the sources for this podcast in the show notes. I've also included a link to Primroses Legal aid fundraiser people would like to help out. Like most of you, I wasn't having a great day on the twentieth of January of twenty twenty five. I wasn't about to watch the inauguration, so I went for a run in the mountains Instead, I spent the next few weeks trying to focus on the things we could do, the things we had to do to get through four years of fascism. Just a few miles away from my house, I set out for my run, and unbeknown to me, my friend Primrose was staring down from the top of a thirty foot steel monument to hate Donald Trump had built the last time he was president. To be ir accurate, it was one that he had modified. There have been versions of the border wall in San Diego for decades.
Speaker 4: They said, no, yes, option, we need to take you. But you know, for me, I had to take it.
Speaker 5: It's because.
Speaker 4: I was scared to stay in Mexico. So they took us with under the bridge, I think the sewage. We were walking with our stomach like under the bridge to get to USA and Mexican borders. So they put ladder for us to your us. Those people, when they saw American immigration came, they just removed the ladder and me, I was on top, so I had yeah, I was stuck. Then I had no choice, and the kim Balish was crying like calm, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: At that time, I knew nothing about it. But her daughter Kim had already jumped. As a Biden presidency drew to a close. But before Trump began signing executive orders with pens, he tossed into the crowd. She'd made it to the US. Her mum was in the US as well the walls inside the border, but the people who had helped it get up to the top of the war had fled when border patrol arrived, taking their ladder with them. So Primrose was left atop the wall, the literal and metaphorical final hurdle in her long and dangerous journey that had begun in Zimbabwe, who went through South Africa, Brazil, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Negaragua, Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico. But before we come down from the border wall, I want to take you back to the Missoak river bank of Maraganti. Last September, Paraya. Daddy, my fixer and I had woken up a no godly hour, and so had the jungle birds. Along with half the population of the village. We walked down to the river bank, carrying the engines and fuel tanks. At Piraguas. A few minutes later, a chorus of two stroke engines and smoke fired up. As the boats set off towards Bajo Jaquito. I stood in the bow, still trying to master the use of the pole. As we passed through the faster moving, shallower water. Daddy sat in the middle and laughed at me. Despite my best efforts, we arrived in one piece in Bajo Chiquito, and I launched myself from the bow into knee deep water on the rocky beach. In front of us stood hundreds of people patiently waiting for the piragueros to take them north and out of the jungle. Stretched like a snake all the way through town. The line of migrants must have totaled one thousand people. I walked backwards away from the boats, the only foreigner not leaving look for people i'd met the day before. About halfway down the line stood Primrose and Kim, and I stopped while we chatted for a bit about what the boat ride was like, what they could expect next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going there. Yeah, yeah, I'm going to Nadist.
Speaker 6: Do you have family, yeah, no, you just make your American life.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 4: I think I'm just trying. No, it's only me and my daughter.
Speaker 3: Despite this, they had found community on the journey. I can't describe how scary it must be for two women to set out on this journey alone. It takes an awful lot to embark on that journey and to be able to trust people when everyone is a potential threat. But if there's one thing I learned in a jungle, it's in the hardest times and the hardest places, the only way forward is together. Primos reminded me of this, telling me how complete strangers had helped her.
Speaker 4: Very nice, especially the Spanish people.
Speaker 5: They are very nice.
Speaker 4: I don't want to life was if you need help, you forgot them for your Look the other ones they might run away by the other ones.
Speaker 5: They just for your They.
Speaker 4: Even give us tablets on the road, give us energy drinks, give my daughter sweets for enage. They push us like, let's go, guys, let's go, let's go. You make it, and we really make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's really nice to hear. I asked Primrose a question I asked everyone there. What did she hope for when she got to America? What was her American dream? What do you hope for her in America? What do you want to do in America.
Speaker 4: I want to go to school, then she can I see something in life. I don't wish my daughter to go big to sam Or.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, not at all. No, it's very hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really really Towrogate Gradi.
Speaker 3: I saw them a few days later, Las Blancas Afred sat with a group of little Venezuelan children playing a game where we throw bottletops into a broken half cinder block. We talked about the struggle they face to pay for the bus north, and we didn't record anything that day, but as I was leaving for the evening, Kim asked me if I could buy her a drink. I generally try not to splash my money around because I don't have enough money to help everyone, and I still have some scars from ridiculous concept of objectivity that would lead some editors not to commission a story from me if I gave the subject a gift. But this time I felt like buying her a drink, and I let her select the biggest bottle of cold soda she could find in the little store in the camp there. I told her and her mum to stay in touch and wrote my number on a piece of my notebook, tore it out and gave it to them. Months later, Kim was holding the same scrap of paper, looking up her mum stuck on the border wall. A whole lot had changed since I last saw them. A few days after my scripted podcast and the Daddy and Gap was released, the United States elected Donald Trump as his forty seventh president. It was a ship month all round that My phone, as it often does, lit up with mesthews from my daddy and friends asking me what this meant and if Trump was going to close the border. I didn't really know how to answer those questions, because if it's one thing we know about Trumps, he changed his mind every few weeks. As we got closer and closer to the day he was inaugurated, they got more and more concerned. Most of them hadn't made it out of southern Mexico. Many of them had told me that things there were even worse. In the jungle. They'd all been robbed, some of them had been sexually assaulted, some of them kidnapped, and some of them killed. I'd heard about all of these things every day from September last year to January this year. In the middle of a run or when I was having dinner meeting a friend for a coffee, my phone would ring and I'd be confronted with terrible injustice, and I'd be totally powerless to set it right. As time went on, I heard from fewer and fewer of them. I assume their phones were stolen, but there are, of course more upsetting explanations as to why they might have stopped contacting me. Noemi, little girl who wanted to visit Minnie Mouse video called me once from Tappajula with a little tiny toy bear that I'd given her and that she kept with her on the whole journey. It may be happy to see them and a silly little bear carved from soapstone that had traveled the lengths of South America with them. Every few weeks after I'd left, I'd get photos of the bear in a different country. As a little Osito worked its way closer to Disneyland, some people who worked at Disneyland had reached out to offer suggestions about tickets. Other people had reached out offering to pay. I was, despite the odds, hoping that one day I could help one little girl see her American dream come true. When we spoke. She was with her mum and they were trying to log onto CBP one hoping for an appointment, but it wouldn't work on their old Android phones. I tried to find shelters with reliable internet that would take them in, and called friends and endious almost every week, passing along questions or looking for resources. I spent hours calling, finding it hard to except that the capacity for mutual aid was so overwhelmed that nobody had a safe space for little girl and her mom. I'm wondering if it still felt like a pepper Pig adventure or if even little indominitable Miami was scared now. Even from where I was was fast internet and a weather friends across the Western Hemisphere, I couldn't find the help people needed, and it made me increasingly angry and anxious the more I tried. It sucked, but there was still a chance, however slim, that one day I might get to see Miami meet Minnie Mouse. So I kept trying, and so did her mom. Then one day I got no response from her mum's WhatsApp when I messaged her. Nobody picked up the phone when I tried to ring. I still haven't had a response, but periodically, I'll keep trying. Even the last messages and photos are gone now, after my wordsapp updated, Like so many of the people who I shared my food with, whose little children held my hand in darkness of the jungle, who I desperately wished and wish I could do more for, they're gone.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: That's what strong borders means. It means brave little girls disappearing so a politician who knows nothing of their struggles can point to a statistic. I've listened to the interview I conducted with them so many times since last September. I still can't really work out anyone with a heart could hear that and think they wanted to live in a world where that little girl wasn't safe. But that's what people voted for. I guess I don't think they did. Actually, I can't think they did. I think people liked them, and that's what they voted for. But nonetheless, here we are now, sitting in a country that didn't want to help the little girl who flexed he around muscles to show me how strong she was after climbing the mountain into the most dangerous land migration route in the Americas, and told me, it was for her all an adventure. Her mother gave a different account.
Speaker 7: There are.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to cry because I didn't want her to see me cry. But sometimes I would explode because it's hard for your child to ask you for water, to ask you for food, and you don't have any to be in a place where you walk. You walk from five in the morning, it's five in the afternoon. You're walking, you don't know what to do, going through more than one hundred rivers and asking God not to rain and not wanting it to get worse. It rained and the girl got a fever. She got a fever. But well, God is good that we pray a lot. I say that we don't know God so much in the church from the process and the process that we are in, and we don't know we can be so strong until we go through that storm and we see that He protect us. He knows that He was always there watching over us, taking care of us at all times.
Speaker 3: I don't want to dwell on this too long because talking in public about grief is something I'm bad at. One of my friends died fighting in Ukraine this year. A colleague died just weeks before we'd planned a trip together. Some of my Burmese friends died fighting. But even as someone who talks to soldiers for a living, nothing really compares to the death toll inflicted by the US border regime. The little village in England where I grew up, there are memorials in every town a village for the young people who died fighting in the World Wars. If we built those at the border, they'd soon be towering far above the wall that does so much of the killing. Things are as bad now as they have ever been. The wall constructed in the San Diego sector that Trump administration has proposed will wave environmental and cultural protections and push migrants further into the desert. In the desert, further from help, further from water, more of them will die. Speak to migrants all the time, the ones who stayed in Mexico, even the ones who took the Venezuelan governments offerers of flights home. As much as they ask about America, they also ask about each other. Do I know what happened to the Angolans who shared their food too generously? They say, no, I haven't heard from them. What about the Venezuelan trans girl who braided their children's hair. Well, she's still braiding hair, but she hasn't made it to the US. Gradually she did make it, and then she was immediately deported back to southern Mexico. How about Rose, they say, the Boliviana who came all on her own and founder found me along the trail, only to be separated from them again. I haven't heard from her in a year. Universally, they're happy to hear about Kim and Primrose. They're glad to hear that someone made it, that somebody can make it. Because of the more than one hundred pages I tore out of my notebook with my phone number, they are two of the three people who let me know they made it here. So let's hear from Primrose about what it looks like to make it here, how it feels to have the best outcome of anyone I met. Let's pick up at Last blancas they now shattered migrant reception center. We're a hundred language for weeks and months trying to get together in the money to pay for a bus to the Panama Costa Lika border.
Speaker 4: I think I spent seven days in Banamah. What's short with money? So I went into immigration trying to ask them if you can they can help me to take a bus to Costa Rica, of which they say, no, you have to pay your sixty dollars you're in your daughter, which one to India?
Speaker 5: So I pay that?
Speaker 4: So I ask you people man, the people I know, they helped me with money. So from Banama we took a bus from Banama to Costa Rica.
Speaker 3: This is a very common story. People borrow money from a huge range of friends and relatives along the way they hope to get to the US, work hard, and be able to pay it back. The whole process takes every penny they've earned in their life and generate significant amounts of debt. In most cases. This is made worse by the fact that on arrival they will wait months, if not years, for work permit, and their immigration judge could stop the clock on this at any time for any reason. Primros and Kim's case, Costady can move them through it to territory quickly, as they do with nearly all migrants. Next they arrived in Nicaragua.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to Nicaragua. Then in Nicaragua, I think we walk from Costa Rica border to Nicaragua border. Then we walk again. I think it was it was walk from yeah to Nicaragua bars tam in Us.
Speaker 5: We just walk. Then we when we reached.
Speaker 4: There, we paid again to wander Us. Then there's also place we walked from Hondas. From nicarag got to wander Us by Steminas. I think it just was the old day. Then from wander Us Guatemalam. Yeah, in Guatemala we spent it three days again because it was tough Guatemala. People they really need asking for a lot of money. So my life was like asking people, asking people and do it and do it? Reach Mexico.
Speaker 3: Then exhausted and broke, she in came made it to Mexico. That you only began in Zimbabwe and took them from there to South Africa, then to Brazil and across the continent. Now they had just warn more country to go before they made it. But I say, where to find out this one country is the one that so many migrants don't make it out of.
Speaker 4: Then in Mexico, my life was like in this because the day we charging a lot of money in In fact, when we reach Mexico, we reached Tapatola and not before Tapatola, I just forget the name. So they took us in the bush where.
Speaker 5: We paid money.
Speaker 4: Again, when we paid money, they started seaching us. If we don't live CAUs, then they walk with us. It was two of midnight. They walk with us till they get a transport to take us to Tapatola. So when I reached Tapatola, I you know people. We were giving information to each other. So I was also following other people, like from Cameroons in Venezuela. So when we reached Tabachelo, we reached Tarpacholo on the ted of October twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Tapatula in the south of Mexico. It's where thousands of migrants sent up. The Mexican government that had a policy of trying to keep people there and began offering them free bus rides north. They had a CBP one appointment. But unlike places like Tijuana, where there have been migrants gathered for many decades, there are not as many services in Tapatula, and the shelters and services that exist there are overwhelmed by the demand. The volume of migrants and the relative absence of services leaves a space open for abuse. That's what happened to Primrose and Kimberly. They ended up paying someone who they thought could help them navigate the complicated and convoluted system of registration in Mexico, the CBP one app and then traveling north to the USA and ultimately being able to make their asylum claim. Finally, in the end, what they got was the opposite of help.
Speaker 4: Then the agents charged us four thousand each, which is me four thousand in the main twitter four thousand of which I was I wasn't lift that month other people that we're paying. So I just talked to the agent. Then I said, okay, you please go down a little bit because I'm a single party. And then I don't have anyone to help me with that kind of money. Then he said, okay, three point five. So I started asking people because the people I know, maybe they can help me. So I have a lady helped me with the money, which is she gave me four thousand years. Then my mom saw my land. I was saving a land with which she saw which leaves money. Then she said even also he is stuff to get another man to complete seven thousand. So we asked someone to send it to America. Goes in Mexico, they don't receive money from Africa, so I find someone here in America to receive the money, so send it to me in Mexico. But when I paid the man, the agent took me. He said that way, I'm going to take you. So you sent the guys, which there were four mixed and guys. So they come to feature us. We were six seven. Yeah, I don't even know it.
Speaker 5: They took us.
Speaker 4: So they took us to the to the bush which is Guajaradella. I can't even remember, is it. Yeah, I think so. I spent day from October up to January.
Speaker 3: In the background here you're here splashing. That's came playing in the pool. A little apartment complex where they were living in East La I just common for migrants to share a flat with someone else. Didn't have much in the way of furniture. But the last time I saw primaries came. It was by the Tuquessa River in Last Plancas. There, the brown water was something to be afraid of. Migrants died crossing the river every day, away by the fast moving water and relying only on strangers to hold them as the current tried to pull them in. A few times I walked out into that river I felt the tug of the current on my boots. I wondered what it must be like higher up in the mountains. At six foot three. The river I crossed never came above waist high. It's deeper higher up. But even then, reaching out my hand to carry someone's bag or grab a child's hand as they came from other direction and struggle to keep their toddlers and their few possessions out of the current, I get little jolts of fear when I stepped on a wet rock. His Primrose talking about that part of her journey, I wasn't good.
Speaker 8: My daughter.
Speaker 4: She was strong, she was strong, but she was crying also, but she had what wound all over the body. Even me, I was crying myself. I was like, I want to just put myself in the water, then I can just go. The Jane was tough, really really tough. The mountain, the stores, the river.
Speaker 5: It's not easy.
Speaker 4: It Oh, it's not a very I don't even recommended someone to say you use that and give no. And even myself I did know about it. Yeah, I was regretting myself.
Speaker 5: I was crying.
Speaker 4: I was like, God, I don't know my family and my family they don't know where I am right now.
Speaker 3: Back in Los Angeles, primers told me that she'd fallen in the river and two Venezuelan men had jumped in to pull her and came out total strangers on their own journey, had risked their lives to help a woman and child who didn't know, with whom they couldn't even speak. The river kills people who drink it too. The concentration of human waste and human remains in the water makes it incredibly dangerous to drink, even for people dying of thirst. I couldn't stop thinking of that river and how much it scared people, Feeling so grateful the Kimberley could still enjoy the water after all of that. Next time, I said, they could take the train down to San Diego and we could all go to the beach. Let's go back to Mexico. Now to Guadalajara, where many migrants told me that of all the things they had endured, including the jungle, things were the worst of all. Promoters arrival in Mexico had not been great, and having paid one person, she was now being held by another group and asked for yet more money.
Speaker 4: They were kid nipping me they were asking for fifteen thousand dollars each. They said, you're not going to take you. I think I was.
Speaker 5: Crying, Kim. She was also crying.
Speaker 4: The other people they will get money paid and leaves, I think from my group. For the people they were kids nipping. It was only me left in the Kim and I was crying depression. I think of him, but I tried. I tried, you want to escape, run away? I feel down and my leg was something else. I didn't even go to hospital. My leg was swollen, and the way they would treat us it was paid, especially when I came the other one once touching me the whole board like. I was like, please, if you want to do something, you can do it to me. And plus don't do it in front of my daughter because she was also crying. Disturbing. I didn't even go to hospital. I asked them to go to hospital. They refuse. Yeah, James, I'm too emotional. I'm sorry because.
Speaker 3: Primrose understandably had trouble even recounting this story. It's not the sort of memory that's easy to share. But just when things seemed to be beyond repair, when it seemed like there was nothing to hope for it was Kimberly who came through to help her mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they no, So Kim Malish was like, uh, lending Spanish, so she was understanding some of the winds.
Speaker 5: So she's just telling me.
Speaker 4: This guy also was like, why can't you leave this woman because she doesn't live money. Because those people they took my phone, they even break it in front of my eyes. The fhe I was heaving from Africa.
Speaker 3: Kim Spanish was pretty good by the time I met them in Los Angeles this summer. Went out for dinner and I asked him what she'd liked to eat. She said she wanted to try seafood and practice her Spanish. So we went to a Mexican seafood place complete with cabaina decord taxi dirmy fish on the wall, and the waitress kindly helped Kim order in Spanish, patiently showing her different menu items and smiling is Kim read them off. It was a happy moment for me and what I didn't think i'd ever be having when I moved here in the bush Era, but that part of southern California has always been a welcoming place for me. When I was in my twenties and racing bugs for a living. I'd fly into Lax and often ended up spending the night at Union Station or Alvera Street before taking a train to San Diego. I speak Spanish. I always felt like the people I met there were such a better reflection of la than the betrayal we see of it in the media. Now. A decade and a half later, sitting in a Mexican restaurant, when a lady from Nadie helped the little girl from Zimbabwe speaks Spanish, it felt like a little glimpse of the way we're told things are here and the way they can be in working class communities. A nation built by migrants, yes, on stolen land, but one that nonetheless welcome people who needed help and took the time to help them. Sadly, not everyone was helpful on Kim and Primrose's journey, and when her captors realized she had no money to pay them, they eventually just decided to let her go.
Speaker 4: I think on January seven or fifth, I don't remember. Then they just took us. Then they just doumbus. I don't even know. Then a star I saw an immigration immigration officer with the guy with the car. Then I stop him. Then I translate to ask him to Then they said, okay, get inside the car. They took us to immigration, so we get a pass from there to another town. Because I was like shifting, shifting, shifting, asking to I get to Joanna. But those guys before they told me like, wherever you go, even if you are here in Mexico, we put a tracker for you, so if you tell anyone, if we find you're going to kill So me, I was scared. Yeah, I was scared. So I didn't tell you, even the immigration officer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah. Do I get to te Joanna?
Speaker 4: So we get to John on the trendred of Chanuy. So I just asked the Mexicans people. Then there's a guy also said okay, I would try to help you, but you need to pay ye. Then I said I don't leave money. Said if you don't leave money, we can't help you. So I was like, I'm only asking people, asking every people to help me, and the other people they were just opening me was I said, people, we look where I am with my daughter, I'm far, but my family, the other family, especially my my other family member the way, don't even know where I am M. So those guys from to Joanna, they said, guys, if you're much crossing today, you're not going to crosscous. Look the president, you said, he's going to shut down all the borders.
Speaker 3: In between November and January, non stop roomors circulated in giant whatsap groups. Trump was closing the border, Biden was opening it. Most migrants didn't have the means to get to the southern border even if they tried. CVP one remained mostly useless, and people spent days, weeks, months refreshing it to no avail. Those who did get appointments would find them canceled once a new administration came into office. Their reward for doing things in the so called right way was to be left with no options in a country where they were anything but safe and far from home. Mostly, my friends in the jungle have retained their incredibly good humor. Delithroil and friends video caught me once when I was on a hike. They started laughing at me sweating going uphill, and paused a conversation to shout encouragement for a while. A year after I left the jungle, I would still be more than how happy to welcome these people as my neighbors. But it seems unlikely I ever will. Border crossings have dropped dramatically. They're not that's the administration sometimes claims zero, but they are lower. People die crossing the border still. Sometimes the volunteers you've heard in my last series have to hike miles into the desert and sift through sand and rocks to search their remains. Once nature scatism like leaves blowing around the canyons. Sometimes I'm there with them. Sometimes we all wooden crosses up mountains. So don't have names on the map to mark the places where people's dreams died. Those people don't get a viral video or a story in the New York Times, because even at a time where people are more engaged than they ever have been in my lifetime in advocacy for migrants, there's still not much attention paid to the actual border that every single migrant has to cross Tomorrow. That's what we're going to talk about. But let's hear from Primrose about had that same day, January twentieth, went for her.
Speaker 4: Then they took us to the boat to the border, but we couldn't get in the gates while they were closed. Then they said no, we have an option. We need to take you. But you know, for me, I had to take it risk because I was scared to stay in Mexico. So they took us with under the bridge, I think the sewage. We were walking with our stomach like under the bridge to we get to USA and Mexican borders. So they put ladder for us to help us to but we paid them three fifty three fifty.
Speaker 5: They charge.
Speaker 4: I found the other people they also we were fifteen years We were fifteen. Yeah, then the yop us to jump.
Speaker 9: The departy.
Speaker 10: Some of us are illegal and some are not wanted. Our work contracts out and we have to move on six hundred miles to that Mexico border. They chase us like outlaws and rustlers, like thieves. Goodbye I one, goodbye.
Speaker 9: Rosalidados and egos, Jesus and Maria. You won't have a name when you ride the big airplane, and all we will call.
Speaker 11: You will be departy.
Speaker 3: On the twenty eighth day of January nineteen forty eight, a plane took off from Oakland, California. On board with a crew, an Immigration Nationalization Service officer, and twenty eight people who had come to the US to work in the Brasero program. They were being sent to Elcentra, where they were to be deported to Mexico. The pilot, Frankie Atkinson, had found a job flying DC three's as a civilian after flying the legendarily dangerous Hump route between India and China in the Second World War. His wife, Bobby, herself the daughter of a migrant mother, was filling in that day as the usual flight attendants weren't available. On board with twenty eight passengers, all headed back to Mexico after United States, where they come to work, had decided it didn't need or want them any longer. The plane never landed in El Center. It was overdue for maintenance and its left engine court fire. Then it's wing ripped off above co Linger, not so far from the fields where many of them had worked for year after year. The passengers were pulled out of the plane into the sky. Most of them had never flown before. They must have been nervous before they took off, and now their worst fears were coming true. And those who survived the loss of pressure and being ripped from the cabin, in some cases still strapped to their seats must have had that very worst fears confirmed as they plummeted toward the ground that had only stopped being part of Mexico one hundred years and four days before. Their bodies or parts of them were scattered through the canyon as the plane slammed into the ground. There weren't enough seats for all the passengers, and so three of them were forced to sit on their luggage at the back. The plane was over its maximum wake capacity, and that might have been why the white smoke began pouring out of its left engine over Colinger Frankie, the pilot had survived crashes in this time of the Air Force, so hopefully he was able to keep his pastures and crew calm until the engine burst into flame. Some witnesses reported seeing people jump from the plane after its left wing tore off and began to plummet towards the ground, but it's just as likely that they were pulled out. The plane hit the ground about a mile east of Fresno County Industrial Road camp or incarcerated people were being forced to work. In Mates were immediately dispatched to comb the hills through remains of people aboard the plane. Locals like Red shoulders whose rinds are plane crashed on, rushed up there to join them, and they hoped to help the survivors. On finding none, they began to fight the fire. Around the wreckage. Prisoners found luggage, women's shoes, and babies, clothes, them bodies, some of them still in their seats, littered throughout the canyon. Only sixteen sets of remained whoever identified, including the entire crew and the irons guard. Bobby, identified by her engagement ring, was pregnant at the time. She was buried with Frankie in New York. Frankie's co pilot, Martin Ewing, was buried with military honors. Frank Chaffin, the ins agent, was buried back in Berkeley. The remains of the twenty eight deportees, or whatever had been found of them, were buried on mass in Holy Cross Cemetery in Fresno. Hundreds of local Latino people, most of whom didn't know that, turned up towards to twenty eight coffins, some of which were empty, be interred in the eighty four for a hole in the ground that was reserved for them. The hole was covered with dirt and eventually with grass, and there they remained without names, without their families being told, for three quarters of a century. The next day, The New York Times reported on the story the worst aviation accident in California history. The names, ages, and hometowns of the crew and the irons agent were given, along with quote twenty eight Mexican agricultural workers. Wives apparently were unremarkable, and even in death, they didn't deserve the dignity of being mentioned by name. Like people, It's a story that, eighty years later, is only too familiar. The song we up in this episode with was written by an American anti fascist folk musician named Woody Guthrie. Like many of his songs, it's a protest song. It recalls the plane wreck. There's one home recording of him singing it to a tune that isn't used to sing a song today. It was only uncovered a few months ago. Guthrie has moved to write it when he noticed that in a reporting on the crash none of them migrants who were being deported on the plane were named. He wrote the song as a poem because at a time his Huntington's career had made it hard for him to sing and strum the guitar. Later, a student of Colorado A and M named Marty Hoffman set the poem to a Mexican Branchera melody. It didn't become popular as a song until Guthrie's friend Pete Seger began performing get at concerts. Hoffman had played it to him when Sega had visited the campus Ballad club. Guthrie, whose guitar famously carried the slogan this machine Kills Fascists, was in declining health by the time he wrote the poem in nineteen forty eight, and he never lived to hear it sung. Hoffman, who died by suicide in Red Rock, Arizona, where he was teaching on the Navajo Reservation, died right as Joan Bayez was recording the song in the studio. Today, it's one of Guthrie's best known works, of course, when he wrote the song to his discuss, Guthrie didn't know the name to the people on the plane. He imagined them in his poem as Juan Maria Rosalita, the sort of people he might meet on any given day as a touring musician who was finally received by working people wherever he went. I know a juan A Maria and a rose from the Darien Gap. I've also searched in the hills and the mountains, so the remains of people whose names I don't know eighty years later. So the song resonates with me.
Speaker 10: Father's old father.
Speaker 9: He waited that river.
Speaker 8: Other before him have done just the same.
Speaker 3: They died in the hill, and they died.
Speaker 8: In the valley, somewhere to heaven without any name. Goodbye to my one good prose a leader adius me amvil presusbody else.
Speaker 12: You won't have a name.
Speaker 13: When you ride the big airway.
Speaker 3: All they will call you will leader. Before the twenty five men and three women aboard came to the US to fill labor shortages after World War Two as a result of an agreement between the two states called the Brassero Program. The Mexican government didn't want to lose its whole agricultural workforce. I wanted to ensure that workers in the US would send a portion of their wages home, so it held these wages in accounts, which some of them never saw again for years. The Mexican government refused to extend the program to Texas because of racist violence there. People who entered the program waited months, and when they crossed the border, they were subject to abusive searches, spraying with DDT and in some places zyclon B same gas used in the gas chambers the Holocaust was used to hose down their clothes. When they got to the US, many of them worked in very poor conditions. Many chose not to wait and instead crossed without papers. Some farmers hired them for much less than the minimum Bressello program wage and put them to work in worse conditions in the program permitted. Others worked their alloted contracts in the program, and they stayed, hoping to make a better life in the USA or to earn some money they could keep before they went home. Many of them came and went several times, returning home until them need to make more money overwhelmed the desire to remain and work their heroes or parcels across Mexico. The Mexican government wanted those who travel without a contract to be barred from being hired, and in many case government officials in Mexico accepted bribes to allow worker to enter the program. Just as it is today, everyone made money apart from the migrants Basserro's letters were censored to prevent them asking their families to join them, but nonetheless a racist panic about undocumented migration began, especially after Frankie and thousands of others return from the war and the manpower shortage was not so acute. This, combined with demands from the Mexican government, led to Eisenhower eventually adopting a program whose name is a slur to catch, detain, and deport Mexican people to parts of their birth country they'd never been to, far from the border, far from their families and communities. The operation, which focused on rapid deportations and border regions, is often cited as an inspiration for today's border issue. Seventy six years after Guthrie wrote his song, very little has changed in the way the legacy media covers migration. Maybe that's why everyone from Dolly Parton to Bob Dylan, Chris Christofferson, will and Jennings, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Bruce Springsteen a sung a version of this song. Here's Johnny Cash describing the song before a TV performance.
Speaker 8: Johnny Cash, I understand this is a true story. This is from our album The Highwayman. Jona Rodriguez was on an album as well. On this song, you understand it is a true story what it got wrote this about a plane crash in was it Los Bato's Canyon, taking a plainload of Mexicans back after they worked for whatever they could get in this country. It's one of those old stories about malfreedment of aliens.
Speaker 3: One of those old stories. He says, it seems so hopeful in nineteen eighty seven, like we wouldn't be writing anymore because most people could accept that nobody should treat other people like that. Anyway. That was before country music was entirely dominated by boot liquors. And here I am playing it to you again, eighty years after it was written, because it is still relevant. Dolly Parton's singing it.
Speaker 13: My father's own father, he waited that room. They took all the money he made in his life.
Speaker 4: My brothers and.
Speaker 13: Sisters come working the fruit trees. They rolled the truck till they took down down. The airplane caught fire over Lascatto's Canyon, a fireball of lightning that shook all he who are these dear friends are scattered like dry leys. The radio set. They weren't yes, the poem.
Speaker 7: Good Night tom.
Speaker 3: I as a song puts it. The bodies of the workers were scattered like dry leaves across Los Gatos Canyon. The bodies of those twenty eight people, the parts that were recovered, were buried in a mass grave at the Holy Cross Cemetery in Fresno, mark later thanks to a donation with a small plaque calling the Mexican nationals, although one of them was also Spanish. The hard work of finding these people's names was taken up by people not even alive when that plane crashed. Many of their relatives did not even know they were buried there until Carlos Rascon, the Fresno Diocese director of Cemeteries, and Tim Hernandez, an author and professor at UTL Paso, dedicated themselves to naming them. In twenty thirteen, a new headstone was directed with their names and as Sarah Many, which packed the cemetery. Hernandez had found after years of hard work, by locating one of their nephews a copy of El Faro, a local Spanish language newspaper, which provided a list that was more accurate than that in the Fresno County Records Department. It wasn't until September twenty eighth, twenty twenty four, when I just left Primrose and Kimberly in Las Blancas, that a proper memorial was built for them in the Canyon. Families traveled from across the US and Mexico to open the memorial. Some of them were funded by Woody Guthrie's grandchildren. The names of all twenty eight of them were included. They were Miguel ne Grete, Alvarez, Francisco Jamas, Duran, Santiago Garcia, Elisondo, Rosalio Padia, Estrada, Bernabe, Lopez, Garcia, Ramon Parerees Gonzalez, Tomas Alvigna de Garcia, Salvador Sandoval, Ernajui, Lupe Ramerez, Lara Severo, Medina, Lara Elias, Trujill Massias, Jose Rodriguez, Massias, Tomas Padia, Marquez, Luis Lopez, Merdina, Manuel Calderon, Marino, Luis Queves, Miranda, Martin, Razo, Navarro, Ignacio, Perez, Navarro, Roman Choa Choa, Apollonio Ramirez, Placentia, Alberto Carlos, Regosa, Jui, Lupe Ernandez, Rodriguez, Maria Santana, Rodriguez, Juan Valenzuela Ruiz, Whenceeslao Flores Ruiz, Jose Valdivia Sanchez, Jesus Mesa, Santos, Baldomero, Marcus Torres, Francis c. Atkinson, Lillian k Atkinson, Marion h Ewing, and Frank E. Chaffin. Think about the song an Awful Lot. The first time I heard it was known a CD compilation of Spanish anarchist songs. The fundamental decency of giving a deceased name, treating them like people, not a human waste, seems so basic, and yet three quarters a century later, reporting hasn't got any better. A few times in my years at the border, I've searched for people and the remains of people whose names I don't know, just as some of my friends have erected little wooden crosses, some with names and some without, to people who he never got to meet but somehow still grieve. There are lots of people whose names and faces are Dodo who never made it to the USA. They didn't even get an anonymous story. The people who die for the American cream are totally ignored in the coverage of migration. The real cost of our border externalization, little children and loving parents who have to die so politicians via the Party can brag about secure borders are completely invisible to most people in this country. Seventy seven years less, one week after Times published its story which are raised People killed in the Los Gatos Canyon, it published a video. The video shows Primrose lying on the floor in agony. She climbed the wall on the ladder and then fell into the USA. On landing, she broke her leg. The story, just like that story in nineteen forty eight, doesn't name her or Kim. It refers to a group of migrants and calls Primros one woman too fair. The piece did interview other migrants, but as is often the case, and migrants from Africa get the worst treatment of all. The piece and the hundreds of other social media posted a video from other outlets. Don't tell readers about the persecution and torture Primrose faced at home about the fact she doesn't know where her father disappeared to and that her whole family is in hiding. It doesn't bother to mention that she and Kim walk for six months to get to the border, that they were kidnapped, robbed, and traumatized on the way doesn't even give their names. Unlike the people who died in Los Gatos Canyon, Primos is here to tell us how it feels to see her pain turned into pay views by outlets with huge global platforms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's you, to be honest. Even now, I feel it's embarrassing me because when I was in Texas, like if I made people they say, are you not the one will feel downe For me, it's like something else because I was not a appie for the person who put me in social media. Even even when I go to the comments, some of the comments were paid and the other people they don't even know what was really happened to me. I was running for my life. But people they just come into whatever they want. So that video even now I'm not even happy. Yes, I know people they make money with my video. Maybe sh you was supposed the person who posted me was supposib maybe to close my face or to do something. And a lot of people they even don't know where I am. But because of that video, it went viral even in my country. People that were sending messages.
Speaker 5: That's why.
Speaker 4: Uh, the other people they went to my mom and started torture DA because they they taught maybe I'm in country, but because of that video, they went to disturb my mom. She's not even where I grew up now in the or she just move. She's somewhere else now. So I don't even know who posted the video, and.
Speaker 5: I think I need to.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to get it, buddy, I'm very angry with the personal all posted the video. Maybe they should maybe asking me, or to find me, or to hide my face in the way Kim malistay my daughter when you ask you about the video, she cries to be honest, just.
Speaker 3: Like those people who died in the plane crash. Promos reserves better. I first saw the video of her falling on TikTok. I think I feel like it was shared by the Wall Street Journal, but I haven't been able to locate the post again. Where I saw a friend, someone else saw a way to make a bug. It's a kind of extractive reporting that I spent my whole career trying not to replicate. The Times and plenty of other outlets have what they see is high standards of journalistic objectivity. I don't think it will surprise anyone that I fall afoul of those, which is fine. I don't want to be trying to find the middle ground between someone running for her life and someone trying to make money from her misery. Nonetheless, we have to live in a world where the vast majority of people get their information from outlets who see migrants of stories and a political issue, not as people. We have to live with the consequences of that. We're seeing them all now every day. This isn't a story about the New York Times. A long time ago, I realized my career wasn't going in the direction that was going to put me on the mast head of those big newspapers, because I care about people like Primrose and Kimberly and not about big newspapers. This is a story about Primrose and Kimberley, so let's hear why they left Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe, if you don't know, has been ruled by the same party since nineteen eighty the ZENOPF. ZENOPF has been led for three decades with Robert mcgaby. It has been the only party to hold the presidency since independence. The office has only changed hands once, when mcgaby's former VP replaced him after mcgaby resigned and a threat of impeachment and a coup. The opposition has taken different forms over time, but never managed to dislodge one party rule. When it has got close, it has been with extreme violence. I think Premise knows only too well.
Speaker 4: It's not like we just it's a luxury to come to America for beggars. If I wanted to come to America for bigger I would maybe go and apply for the visa.
Speaker 3: But us is a.
Speaker 4: Youth is people who wants to change our country. They don't even make you to find a way to go to make a visa because the zimbabwe Zee a tough country, especial for us young people, young generation. They can even kill you in Simbabwe. We can't even protesting for our rights in Simbabwe because we skied for the government is running the country, which is NPF. We are really scared. I if people, a lot of people lose a lot of friends. Kidney killed me also in Zimbabwe, they even tortured me wanting to kill me. So that's why even I don't even know it's Kimbalda's father since twenty seven, I don't even know where it is. Maybe it's dead or it's not even dead. I don't even know where is because they also run away. Even now as I'm speaking right now, I'm stressed, like I don't even know where it's my father, Yeah, I don't even know where he is. Also, it just so our governments, our Zimbabwe, it's a relative for us. Yeah, they don't give us time or they don't give us as a young generation. They think themselves and then they are they are families and they econ on me. There's no even if you go to school, there's no jobs. There's a lot of graduates people staying home. They a vendas podcas, no jobs.
Speaker 5: Nothing.
Speaker 4: If you want to stay in the ends for your rights, they tortured you, killed you disappear. There's a lot of people will disappear in Szimbabwe just before see your needs to change.
Speaker 3: Under Mugabe, Zimbabwe experience rapid economic decline and hyperinflation at various times. Mugaby has blamed his own form of colonial powers, which is reasonable and a quote gay mafia, which is what you get when you have a single manachar to your state, ruling by whim from the moment of liberation until just two years before his death from rus Like many in her country, like many people from all over the world, wanted a better future. It was something she and her family had advocated for. Having seen people she loved disappear, never knowing if they were alive or dead, never even getting the closure of a funeral, she decided she couldn't risk leaving Kimberly alone, and so she took her daughter and fled it. Fled to South Africa, but violence followed them there.
Speaker 4: Especially in South Africa. People are killed with Sonofobia. People are killed, you know, so it's not also even safe for us to stay in South Africa.
Speaker 5: That's why, especially in me. To be honest, the Jena was not even planned.
Speaker 4: I was just asking people and when I reached brass people, they were just talking, let's godless, collless. But I was also following those people do I get here? So it's not like we came here for luxury or for what.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 5: I just came here for my life. I just ran for for my life.
Speaker 4: I just need my life in my daughter's life, because if I died today, I don't know if anybody can look after my daughter, especially when in my country, because things are tough for my mom.
Speaker 5: Of course, my father just disappeared.
Speaker 3: What people can't easily travel around the world. Concept like xenophobia, bigotry, sexism, homophobia. They're not just American issues. They're global issues. And that's why we say nobody's free until everybody's free.
Speaker 5: We just grew up in a.
Speaker 4: Poor family. So but it's tough to be honest. It's a relative.
Speaker 14: For me.
Speaker 4: I'm not even one hundred percent, Okay, I'm still lots of memories trace Yeah, and I remember one of my friends, her name was Memory. She died also, we were together, died in the Zimbabwe when they kidnaped us for five days.
Speaker 5: So she just died. Listen to us twenty twenty twenty TWENTYA.
Speaker 3: She just died.
Speaker 5: Because we were fighting for our future.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's me talking to Primrose on that river bank about but why she left South Africa.
Speaker 5: I'm just flying. No, it's only me and my daughter.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was it hard to see a future for her there?
Speaker 5: It's very hard.
Speaker 3: Explain the situation there.
Speaker 8: The.
Speaker 4: Situation where in where the situation for me, it was tough. I just ran away to South Africa. In South Africa was not safe. Solophobia and uh, they almost secure me and my boyfriend and even my my big father was abusive too much. Because of the politics. I'm opposition party, So it was now even in South Africa, I was not safe at all. It was those people. They were like following me and my daughter. So I spent three months on the road coming here. I leave South Africa, I think fourth of July till now I'm in Panama.
Speaker 5: I'm still walking.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was September. She finally entered the USA in January, crossing into a very different country than the one she'd set out for. Her story is unique. Every migrant story is, but it's not unusual. He spent as much time talking to migrant society. You will learn a lot about the hardships regular people face all over the world. You'll also learn about the dreams people have and how little they really differ. Let's take, for example, the protest we recently saw in Nepal. Those didn't come as a huge shock because I met dozens of Nepalese political opposition members. Here's when I spoke to us. We sheltered in the porch of nmber our house in Bahjiqito in a rainstorm last September. The little room was filled with sleeping pads and tired bodies. I spent a lot of time there sitting on the floor talking to people. A new story is one of many I heard just in that one room, from all over the world.
Speaker 15: Yeah, because it's not safe in my country. That's why I want to go to the States, because there is right and freedom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what makes it not safe in your country?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 15: There are many political reasons. Yeah, and I am from a different political like Congress. Okay, I'm from Congress. That's a small member, not a big plans to man, but that Opposit party, you know, yeah, they won, they won the.
Speaker 7: Constitution.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so they think you uh yeah, Okay, if you wanting how someone come from the mountains in Nepal to a small village in the Panamanian jungle and to be briefly sharing a tiny room with people from Venezuela, Cameroon, China, and Bolivia, all seeking the same thing.
Speaker 15: His hell, I took a plan from Nepal to Dubai, he said, there two months, okay.
Speaker 7: Then after that I went to Qatar.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: From Qatar, I went to Brazil. I stayed in Refusiician for at least two weeks, yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Then after that I came out from Brazil, took a bus, then traveled for two much a long time, maybe twenty four hours or twenty five hours.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 13: Ye.
Speaker 15: Then I went to I caught some friends. They took me to Bolivia. We need to cross through jungle, but it was small, not a long way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 15: And after Bolivia I took the ride to bus. I took at least maybe forty eight hours in a bus.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 15: Man. Then I went to the border of Peru and there was some boat to take us across, and I went across to Peru, stayed in a hotel that night. Then after that it came out and again wrote the bus for twenty six hours to Lima. Then after Lima again twenty six hours to Tulcan. Then after Tulcan, I got a taxi and that taxi was to cross the border to equad Okay, and so I went to Effader in that taxi and they came Cousino.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, we stayed for two to.
Speaker 15: Three hours in the hotel. Then at night again traveling wow. Then again traveled to Colombia. After Colombia, rode another bus and rode to Colombia and Panama borders to Nicoli. Nicoli to Nicoli and we stayed maybe one week in Nicoli. After that, I took a board to or from Kapurana.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 7: There was some bikes. The pike took us to a camp at the border.
Speaker 4: Oow.
Speaker 7: At the camp, I raised nearly at six pm.
Speaker 15: Then after some people came there and they were responsible to cross the border to Panama.
Speaker 7: Then we walked to at nine pm. We walked through May. We walked to till here forty four hours.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I asked a Nuke what he had to say to people in America, because he had excellent English and I have this platform to share. He was more than aware of the US just course her own migrants, and he said he'd been watching videos about it.
Speaker 15: Well, that's everyone is human being. Yeah, yeah, because we have some problems, so we need to live our country right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to be.
Speaker 7: Kind to each other. Yeah, we need to be kind. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard from Minuke since then. I have no idea where he and his friends are or how the journey across three continents ended. Like so many other migrants, he disappeared for me in the massive humanity heading north. I still think about all the people I haven't heard from. Sometimes I'll see people who look like them and I'll get excited. But if they're in the USA now, they're probably afraid of going out. Much became all this way, they rest their lives, They saw people die, and now once again the hiding from men in masks with guns. His Rose, young woman from Bolivia. Think about Rose a lot. She was a young mum traveling alone, trying to find a better future for her family and risking her life in the process. She seemed young and happy most of the time, but she had a sort of tiredness in her eyes that really stayed with me after several conversations we had in Baja Jigito. I don't really know why. It just seemed so sad that she was away from her kids, and someone who so obviously was predisposed to joy looked so tired and sad all on her own there. It felt like her only chance had a better future. She was very open about how hard it all was. I remember one day I didn't feel like recording, just sitting on the side of the raised walkway in Bajra Juqito with her feet in the hot, wet mud, watching people walk by talking with her like I talked with any other friend about our homes and our families and the election that was two months away. At that point, she was hanging out with a group of Venezuelans in but they must have been separated because they've asked me about her since, just like so many other people, I have no idea where she is. It seems so sad to me that we've made a word where a woman who wants the future for kids has to risk her life, maybe lose it for a liner, just to come here and ask for help and then still be denied, and then if she gets here, to be chased, harried and harassed.
Speaker 11: Yes, the situation there in Bolivia right now, we're practically economically well, we're in very bad shape. It's kind of like Venezuela. What motivates me to travel is more than anything work because there you can't work, you can't earn enough, you know, you have to work a lot, but they pay you very little, you know, so there's a lot of a lot of poverty. So that's what motivates me to keep going to work in another country, to migrate, because I also have a family, they have children. So that's what motivates me to go to another country to work. It's the future for them, yes, a better future for them, for my children.
Speaker 3: I asked her to share her journey. How have been just to get this little wet village that welcomes people in the middle of the jungle.
Speaker 11: We left Friday morning to go to the jungle. Right, Well, let me explain honestly, it's not easy. It's very hard because I've seen quite a few people. There are many pregnant women, there are women with children. There are elderly people, there are adults. There are people who come with crutches. There are people who break bones if they're feet fall off the edge. There are people who faint. There are quite a lot of people and have difficult situations because you have to climb a hill which takes at least day out. You have to climb. You have to carry your backpack, your food, your clothes, your supplies, everything you need for the journey, your water. So it's very hard, very hard. And you go up up and you arrive at what is the border of Panama with Columbia, which is called the Flags. You get there and from there you have to go down down, down. That takes at least another eight hours. You have to go down all day. On Friday, it took us all day. We had to sleep on the side on the edge of a river bank.
Speaker 7: More or less.
Speaker 11: There were about two hundred of us, if I'm not mistaken, we are about two hundred people, one hundred and fifty two hundred people traveling and sleeping there. We camped two hundred of us. Yes, there are children. There are babies two months old, one month old, three months old.
Speaker 3: One year old.
Speaker 11: So there are children, and they are really the ones who suffer the most on this journey. Yes, So that night we slept. The next day, which would be Saturday, we came back again at six in the morning. We set off walking all day. We had to climb hills. We had to cross rivers that come up to your shoulders, up to your neck. They really come up. There are quite a few rivers. There's mud, there are mountains. There are those rocks that you slip on and die. There are mountains that you have to climb. Of course, if you don't want to go meet God, you have to climb mountains that are slippery with stones rocks, and you keep going like that. All day downriver, walking walking walking. There are people who got left behind, There are people who came with children. They get stuck, they faint right.
Speaker 1: It's very hard, it's very difficult.
Speaker 11: And I know that all of us who immigrated here are doing the same thing. We are not bad people. We are good people. We do it for a purpose which is our family, right, our children. We need a good economy to support our family, our children.
Speaker 3: But I asked rays if there was a dream that kept her going.
Speaker 11: Yes, I have a dream to go there because just like everyone else, like every person, I need to get ahead financially to provide for my children, to get ahead. So my dream has always been to be there. You know, I set that all for myself before, but I didn't think it would be like this, so difficult. And once you're in there, well there's nothing you can do but get out, move forward, get out of there, because you can't go back, you can't retreat.
Speaker 5: You have to get out.
Speaker 11: So my dream is that to provide for my children. I have two sons waiting for me, I have my family and my dad and my brothers. So for that reason we set off to go there. We are still going there.
Speaker 3: The American dream is such a nebulous concept. Often it's used as a byword for exceptionalism and the idea that the US offers a true meritocracy. You were, hard working people can thrive in the marketplace of ideas that isn't true. But dreams don't have to be true, not they have to be that far fetched. Most people come into America, no, that work hard in the fields, cleaning homes. So maybe as a lion cook the hands and knees and back will do the labor that allows for privileged Americans to still believe in their version of the American dream, the one where millionaires become billionaires. But the chance to work and be paid to speak, and not fear consequences, to be able to feed your kids enough that they grow up healthy and strong. Those are dreams too. They're dreams that people are willing to risk their lives for, and dreams that I've seen them chase up and down mountains in the jungle and in the freezing cold and the baking heats of the deserts and mountains of California. But now even those who achieve their humble dreams are in danger of losing them and tomorrow, I want to talk about the end of the American Dream and the beginning of an American nightmare for millions and migrants who are already here. Every time I hear the various versions that Woody Guthrie song, I think about the friends I made the jungle, who, as a song says, maybe went to heaven without any names. So before I go, I want to share the whole Miami's American Dream one more time, because I think it's important not to forget what the entire force of the most powerful state in the world has dedicated itself to destroy.
Speaker 11: Why am I meaning me, me me?
Speaker 3: It could be an a par of thousand euros.
Speaker 11: A Caroline, Animia.
Speaker 3: Acidia, Amidia h for Rose, Miami and Primrose and the dozens of other migrants I met in the jungle. The goal was to get here. Some of them had friends they wanted to stay with, but many did not. They just wanted a chance, a chance to work and be paid a fair wage, a chance for their kids to have a dream and a future, a chance to sleep safely at night. Once they got across that line, over that wall, or across that river, they wanted to make their case for a silent to ask for help and someone to keep them safe, to give them an opportunity to build their lives again. But even for the very few who made it, the risks weren't over. Within hours of taking office, Trump had begun signing executive orders that would make life for migrants on the way to the USA and those already here even more difficult. To the cheers of the crowd, he signed in order that kept TikTok online, pardon the people who stormed the Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one, and attempted to rescind birthright citizenship from the children of migrants. He ended steviep Won and with his sharpie of the building of mole walls and the resulting death of more people who came here to ask for help. Within days of Trump taking office, federal agents from ICE, the DEA, the FBI, and other agencies had begun a campaign if made for social media raids. In Colorado, they raided apartment buildings which had played a load bearing role in right wing conspiracies about tender ragwa months before. At universities, they grabbed young men and women off campus for the crime for opposing genocide. People entering the country were stopped and had the device's searched, not just for evidence of crime, but also for evidence of mocking the president or the Vice president. Trump added various organized crime groups the list of foreign terrorist organizations and attempted to totally ban asylum, including for the people fleeing those very organizations. People who had waited months for an appointment on CBP one now had their appointment canceled. They were left totally without hope, at risk, and with nowhere to go for help. Trump used to border Emergency declaration to justify his proclamation and quickly followed up with more military deployments, wall construction, and a huge increase in the funding for state surveillance. People still cross, but their numbers decreased if many of them were quickly deported back to Mexico. Here's Kirsten is it law promos his lawyer explaining the new system.
Speaker 14: So there are no new asylum cases. In other words, people who cross at the southern border are now detained, only to be removed immediately basically or as soon as possible, under what's called two twelve F authority. It's under the Immigration and Nationality Act. Trump has used this authority, which basically broadly says that if the President finds a certain class of immigrants or the entry of immigrants would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, they may, by proclamation, you know, suspend all entry have said immigrants.
Speaker 3: So whereas people used to get credible.
Speaker 14: Fear interviews or were parolled into the United States to be allowed to fight an asylum case, none of that is happening anymore. And people are, if anything, only screened for what's called Convention against Torture screenings to just determine, like, hey, are they going to be tortured by their government or with the acquiescence of their government if they returned to their home country. But even then they are not allowed to remain in the United States or fight any relief in the United States. That just means that they will be deported to a third country.
Speaker 3: For people inside the USA, the situation wasn't much better. First as a trickle and then as a torrent, we started to see videos of masked, unidentified men jumping out of unmarked vehicles to grab people, many of whom were migrants, and detain them. In most cases, these were federal agents from ICE and other federal agencies like the FBI, the ATF, and the DEA, whose offices were detailed to support ICE. An increasing number of cases, they were people imitating ICE for migrants, many of whom had fled totalitarian regimes where people were disappeared by the state, they were reminder of what they'd run away from, the place they had come to be safe, started to feel like the place they had to leave because it wasn't safe. Primrose case, things were a bit different. When Kifton filed a motion to appear remotely, she got an extremely unusual response.
Speaker 14: In ruling on my WebEx motion, I was emailed the order of the judge along with a notice that primos should self deport.
Speaker 3: So judges are.
Speaker 14: Sending out these notices with routine other orders in cases where the immigrant has counsel is fighting their case.
Speaker 3: It's obvious they're fighting their case.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So it's one of the things where you just feel very strongly this administration's influence.
Speaker 3: Are they obliged to do that or is that a choice that the judge is made. No, not at all.
Speaker 14: It's it's okay, not at all, and in fact it's completely inappropriate. The immigration bar is taking a different approach to it. Some are filing motions to recuse, telling the judges, hey, you need to recuse yourself. You're you're a non neutral judge. To send this up out in the middle of the case is absurd. It's a due process violation. They're entitled to a neutral judge.
Speaker 3: Think just one of the many areas where things are not as they have been. The Trump administration has flouted rules and even court orders, sent migrants to hoard Salvador's megaprisons that god a place where torture is routine and where few people have ever left. They attempted to bring criminal charges against migrants to justify their actions, and eventually ended up in a prisoner change with the Maduro regime. At the same time, my daughter's government began offering quote unquote humanitarian flights to Venezuelans and Mexico, and some even took to navigating the Daian Gap southwards to return to Columbia, where they thought they might have some chance at a decent life in the USA, a country with more guns than people. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath and worrying that we'd seen an increase in lethal violence. But after a few weeks, thankfully that hadn't happened. But more and more where I stated showed up, local people also showed up. They called them are number of things, fascists, cowards, and then people began to organize, following ICE agents around and announcing their presence, identifying their hotels and making noise outside, picking up neighbors kids, and getting their groceries so people wouldn't need to expose themselves to the risk of arrest. If ICE agents were spotted, people alerted their communities. It is across the US. People began to form networks to take care of their neighbors. Some of this came from lifelong activists, but much of it did not. People even began using apps normally used for suburban racism like nextdoor and ring to call out the presence of ICE. Raids were reposed and ICE agents were shouted out across the country, but they still kept going. It wasn't until June that we saw the first mass protest. Everyone wondered if we'd be in for another hot summer like twenty twenty. CBP officers had been deployed to LA to conduct a series of loud and once again curated for Instagram Braids. Board of Patrols El Centro Sector Chief patrol Agent Gregory Bavino, became the faith of the operation even before Trump had taken office. Just a day after Congress had certified the results of the election, Bavino had sent sixty five agents six hours norse of the border to push the boundaries of what people would accept. In California's Central Valley, not so far from Los Gatos Canyon, he led Operation Return to Sender, accosting Latino farm workers at convenience stores and on the way to work. Bavino claimed the operation was targeted, but reporting from cal Matas showed CBP had no prior records for seventy seven of the seventy eight people had arrested. Bavino, who has bestowed the title of Premiere Sector on the part of the border he oversees, has five agents on a team dedicated to producing videos. He likes to praise Eisenhower, whose Operation WAG often flew migrants to our center before they were sent back to Mexico. The plane which crashed in Los Gato's Canyon was headed there. Bovino has a long history of these raids, dating back to at least twenty ten in Las Vegas, and he is very much the face of the new border patrol approach. While ICE numbers are growing, CBP still has several times more offices, and indeed some reporting suggests that ICE offices and some offices might be replaced with CBP personnel. Border Patrol notionally operates within one hundred miles to the border, an area which includes all US coastline and the entire shore of the Great Lakes, and even then this one hundred miles is an interpretation and not a hard legal blog. This remint covers two thirds of the population and gives them a widely way to infringe on the Fourth Amendment. This has been the case for decades since the Department of Home Land Security was founded after nine to eleven, but mass protests against CBP has been rare. We've seen it on occasion, the lesson you'd think for an agency with such a broad remit in a country that seems so proud of the first ten amendments to the Constitution. In La though people weren't having it following a series of violent raids, Border Patrol agents hadn't been met with protest across the city. They'd responded with tear gas, projectile weapons, and threats. They'd arrested Dennis wuerta leader of the Service Employees United International, one of the largest unions in the country, as well as dozens of other Angelinos. They'd shut tear gas out of moving vehicles and a naunched projectiles into the faces of reporters and bystanders alike. Seeing this, doing what I do. I got on a train to Los Angeles, but within being southern California, it took like five hours. Are they throwing or shooting?
Speaker 12: Did you get hit?
Speaker 3: You're okay? I'm going to that tree on the right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: After getting off the train in LA, and before I met my friend Charles McBride to work of some coverage together, I walked around Olverda Street, grabbed a coffee, and spoke to some of the local folks. There were tags all over the walls and windows of the buildings around the train station, but that's always been how LA has expressed itself. All I heard from people I met there was support. One man expressed to me that his anxiety made protests very uncomfortable for him, but he was glad to see people standing up. Obviously, crimes against property are something that parts of Los Angeles take very seriously. It's a spiritual home of conspicuous consumption. But in this instance, it seemed everyone I've met either didn't care or was so mad they didn't care. From mid morning to early the next day, LAPD, who are not supposed to assist CBP but who can enforce state law, chased angry kids around their own city, its skid row and downtown LA. Tear Gas flooded the streets, and so did young people from across town. In between the tear gas and pepper bulls, I managed to talk to a few of them. Their stories were similar. They were those kids whose better futures had bought their parents here. They were citizens raised in the USA to believe in the right to free speech and assembly, something they were now using to make their voices heard.
Speaker 16: I mean, my family, they're you know, susceptible to all the ice rays and stuff like that, and you know, being a citizen here, I feel like it's my duty to come out here and you know, speak out and know for those who can.
Speaker 3: It made me think of Primrose and Kimberly and the future they might both have I sincerely hope that one day at Kimberly and every other kid I met the jungle would feel brave enough to be out here and just by everything, be strong enough to stand up against state violence. Unbeknown to me, Primrose and Kim weren't that far away. They had a check in with ICE at the DTLA federal building that day, and as they rode by in a bus past the protesting crowds, Kim said to her mom, look, it's uncle James. Her mom, of course, told her it couldn't have been, but she was right. It was. After nine months only speaking on the phone, can believe somehow recognize me. It might be being wrapped up in a helmet and a plate carrier. When they first arrived, they went to stay with someone they knew in Texas. I plan to go and visit them there and accompany them to their court hearing. At this point, I say, agents had already begun snatching people in the corridors of the courthouses after the government withdrew their cases and placed them in expedited removal proceedings, which meant mandatory detention. There's not much any of us can do about this, but I didn't want them to be alone. Then I got COVID and couldn't go his curse in explaining how this process works.
Speaker 14: So INA Section two thirty five applies to people who entered within less than two years, Like you said, they can be then subject to what's called expedited removal. That means that they have to take a credible fear interview and be detained, and that they only get to fight a case if they pass their credible fear interview. They do not qualify for an immigration judge bond, so they only get out if ICE lets them out, which of course Ice is letting nobody out. So the administration wants to have people detained under this authority, this two thirty five authority, as much as possible, to have them have to fight their case detained and either lose the will to do so and or not be able to afford an attorney, because detained cases move along a lot quicker and are very costly as well for that reason. So what they're doing is anybody who was here two years or less but was parolled in so they're in the regular immigration court proceedings. They got out there under two forty proceedings that's called so DHS attorneys in court are terminating those proceedings. They're asking the judge to terminate the two forty proceedings, so then that case is closed and then they immediately restart a case under section two thirty five.
Speaker 3: The hearing went relatively smoothly. Their lawyer, who is now working for whatever Primrose could fundraise able to help them make their case. They left with another heroic schedules. Soon after, they decided to move to La to stay with another friend after the housing situation in Texas fell through. They were living in East LA when they had their next ice checking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was living an appointment and you said they went back to get some documents and they made you wake out. Yeah, yeah, I went there, I think around af eight two four pm. At first they came and give me my papers. They said, go to chat with which is close to where you stay. Then too came here in La downtown. So when I walk away, I realized there was no other documents.
Speaker 5: Then I woke.
Speaker 7: I go big.
Speaker 4: I said to Kim, I let's go big inside. Then I go to the reception. Then I asked the lady and she was the ruder it first. Then She took my documents, then said, oh okay, let me go and find it. Three hours, four hours, not big. Then she came in and called me, I think four pm. Then the ice officer is just telling me I'm going to Detainia. I said, oh why, I said, oh, we are going to explain more.
Speaker 5: We are going, I said, oh, okay.
Speaker 3: Like thousands of other migrants who are trying to do as they're asked, Primros has detained her check in along with Kim. Previously, she'd been given ice check ins in Riverside despite living in East LA. I'd helped her navigate the four and a half hour bus route to get there on time. Wondered how on earth, someone who doesn't have a friend here, or who doesn't speak English, she's expected to do this. She went out of her way to make sure she was there and she had her documents in order. Despite all of this, but she and Kim believe were detained anyway, It's not hard for me to see why people in La were mad.
Speaker 4: Then they took me to Santana. We were just sitting.
Speaker 12: Not even.
Speaker 5: One Ice officer comes to me nothing.
Speaker 4: I was just sitting And the other thing, they just took my phone same time they switched it off. Then I said, can I tell even one of my friends, maybe they they are worried, and now said no, no, we are going to give you a phone. Later on I said, okay, So in Sanna they took us in a hotel to sleep. Then the following day they took big us to Sundernard Detention Center, not even one officer. I was being asking the securities. They said, we don't even know. We spent the whole day sitting doing nothing. We were just sitting. Then they took us, I think around the six pm pack to Los Angeles. Then when that's why I saw the ICE officer. Then she explained to me we are going to detain. You are going to put you somewhere because the rules are changing every day.
Speaker 5: I even asked you, did I do something well? She said no.
Speaker 3: I've heard this from a lot of migrants. The ICE agents managing their non detained docket, as opposed to those enforcement removal or detention, seemed to be struggling to keep up with the pace of the changes in rules. Many of the migrants I'd heard from had decent relationships with the officers who do their check ins and they can't understand why other officers working for the same organization would detain them even though they're doing exactly what they're asked to do. They are doing things quote unquote the right way, but that's not enough for an agency desperately driven by quotas and the desire to purgenation of people who had risked their lives to become Americans. Let's hear how this felt for Primrose.
Speaker 5: Then, said Duyev lawyer. I said yes.
Speaker 4: Then she said okay, it's fine, so she'd give me another documentary to sign. Then I signed, like they are going to detain me. Then I ask you for how long they are I don't think you guys will you are going and going to stay more than fourteen days? Made less than fourteen days. I said, okay. Then I asked your phone to call a lawyer. She gave me a phone. Then I conduct the lawyer. The lawyer the phone was off. Then I tried to conduct one of my friends. Then the aunts, I said, we wanted to go to the police to ask you because we were worried because your phone was.
Speaker 7: Off, and.
Speaker 4: The ice officer, the ice officer the bother I was gaving a GPS. So my GPS was off for the way phoning. Uh the person way up to me in Texas looking for me. Then he also replaced, I'm also looking for you. I don't even know where she is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So people they were worried, maybe I will someone kidnap you. Something happened to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you and another ice officer is also looking for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the other officer, we're looking for me. They were even sending messages on their up yeah, yeah, asking where are you charge your GPS? And the other ice officer was detaining me. Then I even explained to her. She said, oh no, no, it's okay. Then she took the scissor. Then she cut the GPS.
Speaker 5: She cut it off.
Speaker 4: They know we Spain. I think one hour it was around saving. Then they said okay, or there someone is coming to take you and your daughter, So to take you somewhere which is safe with your child. I ask a way those people they said, we don't know, we don't know. Then I said, oh okay. Then they searched me. They said, do you want to take your big They said no, no, it's fine. I can ask if someone because I know I was saving, I'll was key for the apartment.
Speaker 3: Primrose, like many people seeking asylum, had to wear a GPS and tag part of ices Alternatives to Detention program. There are various parts of the program, including facial recognition check ins via a smartphone app, home visits, and the Intensive Supervision Parents program, which is administered by Behavioral Interventions A Geogroupsubsidiary ICE AP as it's known, includes an app through which people can check it, as well as the GPS monitors and smart watches which can monitor GPS and do facial recognition. Very obviously, they're not being used in a systematic way, as one branch of ICE was detaining Primrose while another was using a GPS tag to try and find her. All of the GPS devices used to altern Things to Detention represent massive surveillance overreach, an invasion of privacy, and a huge government dragnet of data they can use to track down migrants and the people they're with. Despite this, they're also better than detention, which is where Primros ended up, but not directly.
Speaker 4: Maybe they are going to depot to me. I can't go with the keys. Then they took my big so I'll gry. I'm going to put somewhere after one hour, they took us to Lax Airport. They put us in a hotel. It was around twelve year twelve feear that time. Indeed, they said, okay, so when you can nave a shower, then you can nave a nap. So me I was in the shower in the kimber.
Speaker 5: She was.
Speaker 4: Already on the bed sleeping. Then the lady came in said, make fast, we are going to We want to go back to pick another person where we came from. Ah, then I wake, I awake him.
Speaker 5: She was crying. She was like, I want to.
Speaker 4: Sleep because she was leaving headache. Then they said no, no, no, it's okay, let's go, you're going to sleep where we are going. We spent the one night.
Speaker 5: Up and down.
Speaker 4: We came back again to La Downtown to pick another guy with his side with his son. Then they took us to San Diego Airport. I think we arrived there. I think it's five am to take the flight to San Antonio takes us. Then after that and then the other lead she was rude. The other one she was nice, she was fine. The other one, if you ask her, she was like, she was rude. Then I just keep quiet. Then I think at the airport, we spent three hours sitting. Then I was flight at eight am to San Antonio. Yeah, they took us to delay immigration. They welcome us, nice everything. Yeah, then they put us inside. But for me, I was I was crying to be honesty. Yeah, I was even crying, like you know, the only pace and make me strong. And it's came and it's a waste for here. Since our last year, since last year, your life is something else. I'm just moving from one place to another, moving from one place to another. You know, she's a strong girl, but sometimes you can see when you see it's sitting down, startying, crying.
Speaker 5: She just remind you something. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So yeah.
Speaker 3: The Florida Settlement governed detention of children by immigration authorities. It limits the time they can be held to twenty days, and established minimum standards for their detention and treatment. It was a lawsuit based on this Florida Settlement that eventually ended the Biden era policy of outdoor attention. The settlement is widely flouted, but it was the best hope. Promos and Kimberly had Kirstin their lawyer we heard from earlier, worked tirelessly to the man baby treated according to their rights. And how was it? You caught me a few times in Dali, right, like how Kim wasn't having a good.
Speaker 5: Time first week?
Speaker 4: It was hard even for both of us. Yeah, yeah, even the food me, I wasn't even it. It was very hard for both of us. But you know, kids, she was like used to to.
Speaker 3: Primos called me a few times from detention. I pick up the phone to a robot voice and the number would identify itself on my phone as Federal detention or something like that. First, obviously I was afraid, but I had an idea of what it could be. Yet another connection that began with a little piece of waterproof paper in the jungle and was now nine months later, leading to a phone call from a prison for families in Texas. I'd pick up the phone and then I'd have to press one or two to accept the call. I always wondered what I was about to hear. I could tell she was trying to put on a brave face, but she sounded so small it was difficult, really hard to hear. She said Kim wasn't eating a food, which I've often heard is terrible. I spent hours trying to find out how to put money on their commentsary account so she could get something a little better casting for on and on to try and get them released. I remember at one point hearing from Primrose locked up with her daughter for the crime of asking this country for help on the fourth of July. It would be too cliche if I made that up. But nothing this year really seems believable, even a nice attention, which is a miserable place for anyone. Primrose and Kim had an especially hard time as most of the migrants they were detained with spoke Spanish.
Speaker 5: And the way.
Speaker 4: The other thing is like those people they were, especially in their room, they put me, all of them, they were Spanish, and me, I do anything understand the Spanish. I even asking the ice officer, can you please maybe because there's another lady also two ladies I think Africans. We were only four families, so we even ask them can you put us in one room so that we can understand each other, even especially for the TV. You know, kids their issues. So sometimes I even had a report to one of the lady. She was very rude to us. She came and speak something so me and you came we don't even understand like what she said. So I just saw people they're doing something. Then letter she was like, yay, I came here and I said this. Yeah, when you came here, you just speak Spanish. You didn't even explain with English, and of which may I don't understand English. So she just write a report to a boss. So a boss came and called me. Then I explained to you. Then she was like, oh okay. Then they called Yeah. She wanted to say no, no, no, I even explained to English. Then there's another woman inside my room. Then she spoke with the Spanish. I didn't even hear, but she was telling the officer no, no, no, this woman she's lying. She just came and speaks spanishye, and not English. So these people they were just sleeping. They didn't even know what to do because she just only spoke Spanish only.
Speaker 3: I've heard this from lots of migrants. They end up serving as translators for each other because the agency that is founded better than most countries' militaries seemingly won't provide them. Often, people who speak indigenous languages have to find a translator into Spanish or Russian or whatever other language. They have a colonial relationship with Other times there's just nobody to help them, and they're even more alone than afraid. Luckily, Primrose wasn't alone. She had came with her and as they always do, they looked out for each other. These aren't things the child should have to do. Certainly childish young at Kimberly, but in the end it was Kimberly who could help work out what was going on.
Speaker 4: Then the ice officer I started crying, like then they took me to psychologist and then they said no, no, it's okay. I think I even spent three days that side. They removed me in their room, then they put me back. So Kimbleage was leaning under standing Spanish. So sometimes you see olping me or Mammy they said this, and that, they said this, and that. I even write it not to complain, like when these people came, then we have to accommodate all of us, because it's not like, oh, we are all Spanish and we don't understand Spanish.
Speaker 3: And then it's being overcrowded and underfed. Migrants and ice facilities were often incredibly bored. I've heard of some of them trying to teach yoga or share stories, but for the most part, they're so afraid and isolated that they are forced to sit with their anxieties day after day. I can't imagine what this is like for parents. They have to try and maintain their own mental health and take care of their children.
Speaker 5: But to be honest, we were just sitting. So time goes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because I remember one day we went to place. We went to the gym to play I think Soca with game. I just fell down. I just felt down. They took me to hospa to I think I spent I think three hours then I wake up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think it's depression. So they put me in depression pills to get it out. Yeah, because my bibi was high every time and ever time different time. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I asked my ice officer about my case.
Speaker 4: Then she just replied, I'm just waiting for us to close your case and we can start for asylum.
Speaker 5: So I was just sitting doing nothing.
Speaker 3: Despite what the detention was doing to her, Premiers remain determined to keep fighting her case. Every Thursday, an ice officer would come by and she would be able to ask about her case. She'd been looking forward to the only point in her week when she might get some good news or at least some news about what was happening to her. Why, Sally, that's not how it went.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was ice.
Speaker 4: Officer was very loud, to be honest, everyone just walk away without and the people they were crying, complaining. Then it was like I went to him, straight to him. I wanted to ask him a question. He said, Hey, I don't have time. The only thing I can even tell you, guys, if you're tired of staying here, because they were putting papers for self deportation in our rooms, like if you want to deport it anytime, you can just sign you put your a number, your phone number, everything, then they can make you fine ticket here.
Speaker 3: In her lowest moment, Premier said she felt like giving up. Maybe it wasn't worth it. She thought, if you would do anything to get away from the hell of the detention center, that's the goal of these places, to break people. The Kible reminded her what they'd come all this way for.
Speaker 4: Because when I was in detention, there's a time I was like, I'm going to sign any deportation from Oh he's cream.
Speaker 5: She said, no, people, they are going to kill you. If you want to go back. Oh, it's fine. It's up to you.
Speaker 4: If you want to go, die, go not to me, sign your paper, not to my paper. You must sign yours then you can go. Don't sign my name. No, I do rather stay a year because I know people, because there's a lot of people happening in the a ice, especially in my country. Also, so she still remember everything.
Speaker 3: The depression, hunger boarder and misery that characterizes ye attention. It's not a bug, it's a feature. It's supposed to force people into breaking, into signing those papers, into getting sent back to whatever they came here to escape. However, the tenacity that bought Primroses far I hadn't left her, and she made sure to let them know she was not willingly going back.
Speaker 4: Then I said, no me, I'm not going anyway because my life is in danger. Then he said, I don't care even if they kill you, I don't even care. You have to take a reform and sign if you are attacked. Then I said, okay, at listen, tell me my kiss. Cause when they teached me, was like, everyone was asking me, wait, did they catch you?
Speaker 5: I explained.
Speaker 4: The other officer was like, so did they know, I said, I don't even know the name, but that officer, he was very rude.
Speaker 5: I don't care. Do you think I cay.
Speaker 4: I don't even care whether you go big to your country, whether they killed is none of my business.
Speaker 5: I gave my family.
Speaker 4: Oh so people were they were like shouted him, those spanishes, They were even crying, shouted him. He just walk away and believe us, So people just also starting to walk away, go around. We even writing not we prove like a complaint, but no one even coming.
Speaker 5: Your person? Do they day? They just come and call me. They are going to listening.
Speaker 3: Katered spent weeks calling, emailing and demanding the premieres on Kimberly be treated according to the rites under the Floorida settlement. I wasn't sure if it was a lost cause. It was the only option we had, and I was happy to Kimberley and like so many others in that detention center, had someone to fight for her. In fact, she had hundreds of people. People all across the country had donated to her legal aid fund. Here in San Diego, people put on shows and took collections to pay for her legal fees. Listeners to this show dipped into their pockets to support Primrose and Kimberly. Thanks to them, she had a chance to get out. Like many other legal rights at Migrant's House, Flores was being widely ignored, and it's likely that Trump have men will take a run at removing it altogether soon, but for now, in this one case, it's still applied. But even once I was conceded that Primrose and Kimberly had a right to be freed, they still took their time doing it.
Speaker 4: They listening on the tenth Yeah, remember you called me the fund the food. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I called Julia exactly.
Speaker 3: Before you were going to get out that week, but they took longer and long.
Speaker 15: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the release felt like a victory, but she still faced the same difficulties she had before. Primrose could not legally work. She was still in La where border patrol and a baveno but conducting violent raids and people accused of no crime other than crossing the border between ports of entry. Because it was the summer, Kimberly still hadn't received her education, So that was July and I were in August. Now, yeah, you said, you know, work permit still hasn't come, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They clear everything. I was supposed to get my week permit on July July, but they clear everything like new everything. They just clear everything's all studying August.
Speaker 3: Yeah, November, now there's still no permit. His case in explaining in May of this year how this system works.
Speaker 14: You have a work permit clock, right, which is another absurd thing for assils that once they file their asylum application, they have to wait one hundred and fifty days before they can apply for a work permit. And of course they're expected to be independently wealthy during those five months or you know, or star over or I don't know what they're expected to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rely on the generosity of others, like exactly.
Speaker 14: So if you do something like try to change venue or a motion to continue, if you do something in your case that the judge perceives as not moving the case along and rather like kind of trying to stall it or possibly pausing it or slow it down, the judge will stop the work permit clock the days and it's a whole thing. So Primroses was stopped because the judge wanted her to get an attorney. So then usually when the case is set for a final hearing, that code adjournment code they call it. We have the access to the codes and what stops the clock and what doesn't. And it always restarts the clock because you move your case along because you're setting it for trial. It's obviously moving your case along. Hers was not restarted.
Speaker 3: That video is still on Primrose's mind as well, still comes up when she goes to a new church that meets new people, even eleven months later. One of the worst days of her life still follows her.
Speaker 4: And the person who posted me on my video please, uh. I don't know how to say, but the comments I was reading this was really big. And people they just judge people without if they know their status where they come from. Yeah, I can't control them, but deep down I'm not okay. And do you see it now I'm struggling for my knee. Yeah, and the other people they will laugh at me like yeah, yeah, but it's not funny. And I wish if the person maybe she was supposed to cover my face or to cover Kimbal's face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I didn't want the time in La to entirely be defined by the detention. I didn't want them to think that everyone in this country doesn't want them here. I never really expect the government to make people feel welcome here. I think that's something we should do. These people are joining our communities. They risk their lives to come and live here with us, and it's us who should welcome them. We can't leave that to the whims of the electoral College. We have to do it ourselves, just like the people in Bajujiguito did.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: I drove up to La Primrose and Kim had another ice appointment, and I arranged to meet them after. I freaked out a little bit when I couldn't get through to them, but eventually I did. The Big Guy's building has no signal inside. It turns out their place in La Is where I conducted the interview you heard. I took them out for a manicure first, because it seemed like some thing that would make them feel taken care of, and I got Kim some bubblesa because she wanted to try it. Sitting in the little manicure shop, watching a Vietnamese lady take great care over their nails felt like another glimpse of the communities were supplied to build where people from all over the world can come and be safe by this time, I hadn't heard from Noemi for months, and I started to realize I might not ever again. So I decided I wasn't going to let Kimberle live so close to Disneyland and not go. One of my colleagues has foundamily who worked there. We got Primrose and Kimberly day passes. It felt really nice just to give them a day to be a family and not to worry. I didn't go with them and record. I wanted them to enjoy the day on their own, and by all accounts they did. Primosh be fixtored of them, smiling out said various riots and exhibit, and I felt a little bit better to help make someone's American dream a little less of a nightmare. Tomorrow, I want to talk more about welcoming people in our communities and taking care of them, because now more than ever, I think that's what we have to do. The week before you're hearing this, on a beautiful southern California winter morning, I met some friends in a parking lot near the border. We hopped into our trucks and drove along dirt road so we reached a pull up. Once there, we threw on packs and hiked straight up a steep hillside. Even in late November, the south facing slope was hot. We're all sweating. By the time we reached the GPS location we've been given, it wasn't hard to spot a dark patch on the landscape where someone's remains had returned to the earth. One friend had carried a heavy wooden cross up the mountain. We dug a hole in the rocky ground and then placed the white wooden cross in it. Silently, we filled the whole back up, stamped on the dirt until the cross stood right up. Then we decorated it with marawgolds and seashells and dried flower petals, doing the best we could. One friend carefully picked the petals off the flowers laid them on the arms of the cross. Another sprinkled poppy seeds into the ground. We stood in silence for a while, but the construction of the secondary border wall didn't halt for a minute in silence, and then together we paid our respects to Graciela Sonton Gormez Hernandez, whose last moments were spent looking at the same sky we were looking at, gazing down onto the two border walls that were built to separate us from her. She died in September in the heat wave. The same month or year before, I'd had to call nine one one for several migrants with heat stroke. I'd come across she died, a friend told me, with her clothes folded next to her, sheltering under a bush. Looking from the place we erected the lonely little cross, that was all we had left remember her. I could see four border patrols of ail at Santana's. She was just a few hundred yards from the wall from the road, but it took weeks for anyone to find her.
Speaker 17: Gracila Gomez presently, Gracila Sion Gomez LANs very Gracila Gormez LANs very same.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we arrived too late to help, but we arrived soon enough to ensure that least in death, she was afforded to dignity the world has denied her in life. Then I strapped half of fifty gallon barrels my backpack frame where my friends carried slabs to water bottles. As we walked. A construction vehicle above us reeled holes into the earth for pylons that would hold a second thirty at wall. On the sixty degree slope above the vehicle, a helicopter flew around, and then it flew back underneath it. We were at the date on water bottles and threw them in a barrel. I tried to dain all.
Speaker 13: See okay.
Speaker 3: Doing this for years, we said goodbye to a fair share of people who he never got to say hello to and whose faces we never got to see. Last summer, I helped search to the remains of a migrant who had passed away in a canyon deep in the desert. Every time I do this fills me with a deep sadness, especially with all the friends from the jungle who I've lost touch with since then. It could be easy to look at everything I've laid out in this series and feel hopeless.
Speaker 12: But I don't want you to.
Speaker 3: It could be easy to feel afraid as well, because now is the time that caring about other people is dangerous. It's possible currently for some folks to keep their heads stay and try and keep themselves safe, but to can find their actions to are angry posting on social media. But our politics shouldn't be about anger. It should be about love. Now more than ever, it's important to remember that we don't act on our love and our solidarity with angry tweets. We act on it by taking care of people. However many walls they build, however many masked men with guns they send. I don't believe it's within the power of the state to stop people caring about each other, and I hope that that care compels people to do something. In fact, I think seeing so much cruelty makes us all realize that it's up to us to care for one another. People have cared for Primrose and kim in all kinds of ways since they came here, and today we're going to hear from some of them. Friends bought Kimberly's school books where they were stuck in Mexico. Some other folks put on a burlesque performance here in San Diego to raise money for her lawyer. Hundreds of you reach into your pockets to help her pay for legal living expenses. When the state, both under Biden and under Trump, made her of Kimberly feel unwelcome, you didn't. I've carried my fair share of water into the desert under Biden administration as well. It was Biden's policies that left little Miomi stuck in Mexico, not Trumps. It was Biden's policies to detain people in the open air and left them with no food or water or shelter. And it was everyday people like my friends and I who fed them and sheltered them and took care of them. We took donations and dived into dumpsters to grab tents, who worked hard every day to build shelters, cook food, and give away clothing so that people could feel welcome and safe here. Not a single elected official gave out a single sandwich, much less made one in the months that thousands of people were detained outdoors in a cumber and salisigral. But people from churches, goodwaras latterday Saints people and Quakers as what as a whole lot of anarchists and crosspunks and just desert people with no particular politics did. I'm not saying this to pat Us on the back. I don't think any of us really wanted to be mentioned at all. Like many of us, some of my happiest memories were the days we fed strangers, then sat around fire, sharing stories and sometimes songs. Since then, I've been privileged to share the joys and struggles some of those people faced in their new lives here. I've attended their weddings. I've tried to help them understand that by action accents, but I've helped them come to turn to the fact you simply can't get around large parts of this country without a car. I'm saying this because I think it's important that whatever happens after this current administration, we can't ever go back to the way things were before. We can't let migrants to be invisible in our communities. We can't let them keep dying at the border. Let's talk about what carying looks like in Primrose's case. This time last year, I just released my Darien Gap podcast, and a few weeks later I received a direct message about my Patreon newsletter. It was from a guy called Matt.
Speaker 12: My name is Matt. I'm just a normal person who listens to a lot of podcasts.
Speaker 3: I didn't know him, and he didn't know me, but he listened to the podcast I made.
Speaker 12: I can still very vividly remember where I was when when I listened to that, which was I was coming back from a dirt biking trip in Michigan, and so I had a seven hour drive, and I was like, oh cool, here's a three hour podcast that I listened to. And then I started listening to it, and then I was just like I got into that mode where I was just like I couldn't not finish it, you know, I was like absolutely hooked and just needed needed to get all you needed to get all the way to the end, and was just really really moved by the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Like many Americans until ready to be late in Biden administration, that knew about immigration, but he hadn't really grappled with the fact that what secure borders means is killing innocent people in the jungle, in the desert and everywhere in between. That's how deterrence works, That's how it's post to work.
Speaker 12: Like I didn't realize that that was like intentional, and then hearing you know, hearing hearing yours, I was just sort of like, oh, right, Like just the fact that people would go to such a just such lengths of of danger on a journey just across a continent and knowing that once they get here, they're not even welcome. Right, We're going to intentionally put up this like kind of life or death obstacle. Course, I kept thinking about it, and the next day I was like, let me like see if you've done anything else on and I found a couple of your couple of your other your other episodes on it, and I was like, wow, this, this is this is wild. And that was you know you you were You're talking about the open air detention in the Hakumba area, and and I was like, this is crazy, Like this is just happening just right outside of San Diego. I mean, it's just wild.
Speaker 3: Matt felt like now that he knew this, he couldn't not do something about it, so he took some of his vacation time at work and came to southern California.
Speaker 12: The thing, though, was crazy is seeing all the equipment, you know, the equipment, if you can call that, left behind by the people traveling through these places where it's just like normal shoes and just like cheap Walmart backpacks and just you know, the just basic stuff that you would just like where to school.
Speaker 3: Matt joined friends of mine in the mountains, carrying water and helping with some techi shues we've been wondering about. He saw the wall, and he saw the damage. He does he saw the difficult terrain people have to cross just to get a chance to ask for help here, the ways they have to risk their lives even after they make it to the USA. He also got to experience the where they're helping other people helps us.
Speaker 12: As I was heading back home, I definitely had this feeling about like like way less disc bear getting together with people to just do something, to just do something useful to help people, even if it's just like in a tiny way, like even if somehow it doesn't help, but it's like it probably will. But importantly doing it with other people it made me feel a lot better. It made me not feel so like just everything is fucked, like the world is descending into fascism or when there's nothing I can do about it. It's like there are a lot of people who want to help. Doing stuff with them.
Speaker 3: Is like is good. Soon after, like all of us, he saw the board it bringing its violence into cities across the United States.
Speaker 12: I mean, like just masked federal agents, we assume, mostly refusing to identify themselves, just randomly picking people up. I mean, it's crazy and it's just a I mean I literally am a loss for work. I mean it's just it's so the opposite of what America is all about, straight up like fascism. Like I just I never thought I would live through something like this. I always just thought that's the kind of thing that happens in other countries, you know.
Speaker 3: I guess a lot of us thought that. A lot of us probably thought this kind of state violence was confined to other places and other times. We wondered, perhaps absent mindedly, what we might do in those places and times. For years, as a historian and a reporter, have thought about them, read about them, visited them. Now I'm living in them.
Speaker 12: It's always just sort of like in the same way that you would think, what would happen if I was in this I don't know, movie, Like it's not real, Just.
Speaker 3: Think like, oh, what if I was Jason Bourne Matt Night stayed in touch one day. He was in La owned business and I mentioned I've been helping Primos navigate the mass transit nightmare that is Los Angeles so she could get to her ice appointment. He oftener to stop buy if you needed a ride anywhere connected them. He saw her place and he offered to help I guess with furniture as well, then it was time for him to fly home every day like I do. He had to worry about someone he knew being snatched. The Florida Settlement doesn't stop ICE from redetaining people, and in LA they seem to be detaining anyone they could any way they could. Kim had been afraid to go out now because she didn't want to go back to detention. So once again, Matt decided he wanted to do something, and he asked if Kim and Primrose might like to come and stay with him on the East coast. That's not an easy choice to make.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: No only does it mean sharing your space, it also means taking yourself out of the safe group and accepting that the states I of Sarron might fall on you. Now, you know.
Speaker 12: I talked it over with my wife and we were like, you know, both wanted to do this, and but you know, we had to acknowledge like it might mean that like these assholes and masks show up at our house, like where our kids are, and are like gonna haul away this family. That might happen in like right over there. I mean, I don't like it, but I.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I've just I feel like you gotta do just gotta do something, you.
Speaker 3: Know, y end. He says, it wasn't a hard decision to make.
Speaker 12: I mean it was a lot easier because my wife was actually just like one hundred percent let's do it. And I was like, well, hold on a second, look, we should at least think through the outcome. She's like, I don't care whatever, just do it.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of people, Matt had always done things to help people, but nothing like this, nothing that directly put him in between someone who needed to be kept safe and the people who didn't want them to be safe.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, nothing is dangerous.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 12: Charity stuff, but you know, sometimes with time, but usually just like giving money to people to you know, who need it or whatever. But you know, this is definitely the most like direct involvement to help someone who needs it. Certainly is the first time that I've exposed my family to any thing like this.
Speaker 3: So one day this autumn, Primos and Kimberley said goodbye to Los Angeles, got on a plane, flew to the East coast.
Speaker 12: I thought I was waiting at the right spot, but they let them out at a different there, so they actually walked past me. In the airport. They didn't even see it, but I eventually figured it out. Luckily, the airport is not that big, and so I could just sort of walk, just walk all the baggage. Claym Mary and I eventually found them.
Speaker 3: Then they went for sushi, then for ice cream, a perfect suburban stripmall American evening, the sort of evening people crossed jungles and deserts be able to enjoy, the sort of evening the hundreds of people I met in the jungle will never be able to enjoy. Of course, it's hard to sit in a cold stone and talk about the things people endure to come here. That's just sometimes it's still difficult to even comprehend what his new friends had been through.
Speaker 12: It's hard to answer, like you're asking me a good question about, like, well, what was it like et and it's like the difference the distance between, like our shared experience is so vast it's still often almost doesn't seem real.
Speaker 3: I've had that same thought. It's hard to hear stories from migrants and really think of them as human experiences, not just stories. That's why I go into the mountains and the desert. That's why I spent a decade asking gettus to send me to this daddy in. I didn't think I could understand migrants journeys if I hadn't experienced a little part of them. And I don't think we should write about migrants and not write about what they go through to get to a strip mall sushi place. Of course, Primrose isn't done with her interaction with immigration authorities yet. They've had visits from ICE in her new home, but not from enforcement removal operations.
Speaker 12: I mean, like they know where she lives. We told them, are she lives, so like she lives in my house, so you know, yeah, they might.
Speaker 15: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I mean, yeah, I guess I'm like not as afraid of that. I have to say that the ICE people in seem just like a bunch of cheery folks. Like it's seems pretty different than I mean, like I met many of them, yeah, part of this process, and they were not the like you know, plate carriers and guns guys. They were just like the you know, they work in the office and decide whether you get to move here or not, you know, yeah, yeah, and they were like very friendly and downright helpful.
Speaker 3: Promotes your settling in it. That's place now. But it's Matt explained, the struggle isn't over yet now, like.
Speaker 12: Our energy is more on how do we help her make her case because she has an asylum case that you know, she she needs to win and it's you know, I'm not a lawyer, but wow, sounds like what asylum is for literally running from a hostile government that she was protesting and was going to jail and torture her. Like, what what is asylum for?
Speaker 3: If not for that? Of course, interacting with the asylum system has shown that some of its absurdities, like the work permit clock for our bus rides to riverside, the endless changing regulation. So one has to navigate or trying to survive without the ability to legally work.
Speaker 12: In what way can you do this legally without some you know, group helping you, without like just somebody saying fine, I will take you and pay for your living expenses. What is the legal way to like seek asylum? You come here, they put you in jail, You stay in jail, which is fucking jail. Yeah they let you out of jail. Good, hooray, we're out of jail, and now you're homeless. Yeah, you have no possessions and no ability to legally work. At least let them work. I mean, come on, like, just let them get a legal job. That's just like the sort of bureaucracy version of the forcing people across the desert. It's like, well, okay, you won't die in the desert in this one. In this one, you will die or you will suffer under homelessness. More deterrence. You know, everyone always says, oh, what I support immigration, just got to be legal. You gotta do it the right way. But they have no idea what they're talking about, Like what is the right way. I believe everyone who says that has no idea what the right way is.
Speaker 3: Changing that making a law's line up with what anyone would see is basic decency isn't coming anytime soon. In the meantime, they have to navigate the asylum system. As many contradictions. Primo has never got any follow up care for her leg injury. The only way she could access care in her new home was once again totally impractical for someone without a car, just another example of how the system sets people up to suffer and fail.
Speaker 12: There's no way to get her to the doctor. Well, okay, there is a way, a way. Technically, we could drive like an hour and twenty minutes way out to this place that like as a thing with the ice that they will say like, well that's your approved like medical provider, Like I'm not gonna drive quarantine is each way to just do some minor thing. Yeah, so we pay out a pocket. So we go to a doctor and we go here's the problem we have. We don't have insurance. Let's get this done for as little money as possible, because in the United States, if you don't have insurance, it is going to costume. Yeah, it loves and mercifully. My wife and I both know a number of doctors that we can sort of run ideas by, and if we didn't have that, like, I don't know what we would do. It would not be good. I mean, well I know what we do. We would drive an hour and twenty minutes to the place and we would just be like, okay, doctor help. But like, because you know, we have connections and we are also willing to pay a little bit out of pocket. She needed to get some medicine. Medicine is super expensive. Yeah, so you go to the CBS and you're like, well, you know, oh we don't have your insurance on file, and we're like, I know, but how much is this going to really cost? And dude, drugs are so expensive?
Speaker 9: Like it's just.
Speaker 12: What are what are those people supposed to do?
Speaker 3: It's brokensistent and it's not one we can really rely on government to change whoever was in office.
Speaker 12: The Democrats don't have a great answer for this either. I wish they did. I mean, I will still vote for them because they're at least less bad. You know, what are the choices do you have? It's like, if there was a better party, I would be that one that I mean, if they had a chance of winning, right, yeah, no other party has a chance of winning. So yeah, man, I'm a Democrat and I will help the Democrats try to win elections. They push it in the direction that it needs to go. But the Democrats are part of the problem. I mean, like they're not radically changing policy. Is that would change this thing we've been talking about for the last hour.
Speaker 3: When I first moved to the US, George W. Bush as president. Soon after I got hi, Obama was elected and it was Thanksgiving. I didn't know much about Thanksgiving, and I didn't have much time for history that overlooks set a little lonely list them anyway. But the day before where it's riding my bike down the coast and I ran into some folks who were also riding their bikes. They asked what plans I had for the next day, and I told them I was just going to ride my bike all day and that's what I like to do. They, having just met me, invited me into their home the next day. They fed me and we talked for hours and became friends. A decade and a half later, on the night before Thanksgiving, my friends cooked as many beans as they could fit in their giant pot that we boiled above a propane burn and made from half a beer cake and the cold of the desert, some Curtish guys helped us ladle out scoops of hot stew for hundreds of people. I still don't go in for set like Colneliism very much, but I felt thankful to be in a position where I could welcome people now. That same year, on Christmas Eve, I was sitting on the tailgate of a pickup in the desert, kicking my feet so my toes wouldn't burn with cold. I spent the entire day building shelters for people out in the desert left therefore up to a week by the Biden administration. We'd handed out all our food again, but some folks who'd been taking care of their kids are trying to find a warm place how the desert went to sleep, had missed out on eating. So I'd find a few boxes of htrs, which are kind of like a worse but vegan version of MREs, and I took them from the truck and went over to the people who had missed dinner. They heated them up somehow on a piece of scrap metal over the fire. I can't really remember them thinking it was really janky. I struggled to describe how special it felt for me to be able to share a little of the welcome I received with other people like Matt. I feel more hopeful knowing that not only are other people just as upset as I am, but that alongside those other people, I can do things that I wouldn't have thought possible if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes, had done them with my own hands. From Obama to today, it's been up to us to welcome migrants. Obama set records for deportation, Biden beat them, albeit including Title forty two removals, and Trump will probably beat both this year. In the meantime, it's up to regular people to help one another. That shouldn't make us feel hopeless. It should make us feel strong. Matt's doing something remarkable, but I don't think he was in a very remarkable situation before. He was just a person lucky enough to have some spare time and some space to look after someone. But there are millions of people like that in this country. There are millions of people who are mad right now. The anger alone is not going to help us take care of people. That's what the priority should be right now. I don't want to paint Matt as the only person who helped Primrose, because hundreds of people help Primrose from the Mberalaan and the Jungles of Panama, and have fellow migrants WHI wash across Daddy and Gap, People across a continent took their time and their resources to help a stranger. I've heard of this from countless migrants as well. Some of them rode the train from southern Mexico up to the border, and people threw them food and warm jumpers to total strangers who they'd never met, who they'd never even got a chance to see, across thousands of miles. When states ignored their suffering, the hundreds of migrants I have talked to found food, shelter, and solidarity from ordinary people, and those people in their own way benefited too.
Speaker 12: It was enlightening to me that a it wasn't just me, Like, it's not just oh, I for some reason, I am the only one who's like really upset by all this. You know, there are other folks who are like this, but also just like a lot of other people are absolutely willing to take risks, be generous with their time and money, Like there's a lot of them. There's a lot of people who like want to help, and that kind of community.
Speaker 3: Aspect of it.
Speaker 12: It was a surprise to me that the doing it with other people was so powerful. Like I thought it was just about the doing the actual act of helping people somehow, but doing it with other people was just surprisingly good. Made me feel much more optimistic about our ability to get through this collectively.
Speaker 3: I asked Matt what he wanted people to know about his experience.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, I guess what I would like people to know is it's not as hard as you might think to help folks like primos, Like it sounds insurmountable, like oh no, I'm exposed to all this risk and danger and legal hassle or whatever. But it's like it's not that complicated. It's like they fill out a forum and it just says like, oh, now I live here, and then once prove it, then there.
Speaker 3: The hard part is finding someone, especially now that migrants are more worried than ever to be out and in the community. Any database would be a risk for them. But maybe that's not a problem that someone can solve.
Speaker 12: It's kind of like an information sharing problem because like, these folks are all across the United States, and the people who could host them are similarly all across these states.
Speaker 3: But you don't have to take someone into your home. There are hundreds of things you can do wherever you are. You can feed people who are hungry, pick up someone's kids from school, or take their dogs for a walk, fix someone's car so it doesn't get towed or ticketed, or drive someone to a doctor's appointment. Creating safe communities for migrants is not a distinct act from creating safe communities for everyone. I've never been a big political theory reader, but I think I've learned everything I need to know about politics in refugue camps and the deserts and mountains and jungles that migrants traverse to get to this country in Panama, and met with the priest who houses migrants in California, have helped seeks and Quaker friends hand out warm food in the cold. We can come from a broad range of perspectives and still get to the same place. When someone needs help, you help them. And if we all do that, then when we need help, someone will help us. You don't have to wait four years to start. You can do it right now. While there are only some things we can do in the face of a government that doesn't want to help people like Primrose, there is an awful lot that we can do. For all the people who didn't make it to the USA from the jungle, we can help the people who did. We can also take this principle and make it a cornerstone of all our politics. The more people come to know migrants, the more they will see how broken our system is. The more people who see that, the more people will demand change. And I hope that they won't stop until we get a system that doesn't look at little children who aren't safe and say we don't want to help you, until we get assists to him, that doesn't make them walk across jungles and through deserts before they even get a chance to ask for help. Before we go, I thought I would play a part of the interview I did year. I speke Tristn on Monday, and he said his dad's still doing well.
Speaker 18: Truly, the migrants on this route are not here because they want to be. They are here because the economy and their countries is terrible or something. Everything is going badly on their countries. How can we mistreat them knowing that we won't not us never. This is a belief that we have. We are all children of God. God made the world and humanity, and we are not that different. We are all brothers.
Speaker 3: I want to leave the that's word today to primaries, because really is the story about her and him and the incredible tenacity encourage the show to get here.
Speaker 4: Even if I say I can me and myself, I can say thank you. I don't even know how to say thank you, but I'm just God knows. God, please blase those people who put ince on me and Kim. I thought maybe I'm alone, but I realized I'm not alone here if also people who helped me. You guys who helped me so much. I never even get helped even in my country the way I get to helped in America.
Speaker 5: And I'm really really glad.
Speaker 4: I'm very glad for those people who helped me. I have especially since when I was even in me, when I was in Mexico. In my prayers, i just say, God, just blase those people who put ince on me. You make me feel better. You put smile in my face and even came when you came here. I wasn't even heavy clothes to way nothing. They just only the clothes they gave us in detention when they detain us. That the clothes I was leaving I was when I want to wash it was a T shirt jacket. I just removed the top, then I washed the the inside the T shirt when it's dry. Then I we bothered and put in you when we were like.
Speaker 5: But for now, I'm.
Speaker 4: Really really appreciated a lot. I really appreciate a lot because my life is like changing now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and it's.
Speaker 6: Like you were saying, the things came or he would be so different from the chances you had. Right, she can she speaks English, she speaks Spanish, she can go to school here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Does that make you happy when you think about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm Reyaby.
Speaker 4: Even if I even told you, Kim, I was asking you one day, I said, Kim, what if I die today? She was even mentioned your name, said, I would just ask him maybe I can just go to school?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wish.
Speaker 4: Also she was like, Mammy, I want to write my book when I start high school. I need to write my story of my life because we have been through a lot, but now we are happy. I don't want to live with your support. Guys, I'm really appreciated. Yeah, because if she go to school, I'm happy.
Speaker 19: I know she.
Speaker 5: I want you to heave a better life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is it could happen here.
Speaker 19: Executive Disorder our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you.
Speaker 3: I'm Garrison Davis.
Speaker 19: Today I'm joined by James Stout and Sophie Lichterman. This episode, we are covering the week of November twenty fourth to December fourth.
Speaker 3: An extra long week.
Speaker 19: Somehow the squeezed a few more days in there to open us up. James, what are what are some important small stories we don't want to overlook?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, yeah, a lot because of our extra long week, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The United States is flying manned ISR flights over Nigeria and possibly parts of the Sahel as well. It's not entirely clear because the flights kind of go dark once they take off. Sources familiar with the matter have suggested that you AV strikes might begin soon. It seems that the ISR flights are targeting Iswapan. J And I am. I'm gonna write about this on my Patreon, probably because I think it requires visuals and I think it's it's too much to go into in depth here. But if you want to check that out, you can. Can you explain some of those acronyms? No, I just love to find it's great when you report on military ship because it's just a wall of acronyms. Okay, I SR flights. These are intelligence flights, right, Intelligence surveillance reconnaissance. I believe it's an acronym they're looking for stuff for ua V. On manned aerial vehicle, there's a gender neutral term and I can't remember unpiloted aerial vehicle walk is back hard. That's the bid nearer thing, right when you get killed by an unaccountable drone, But it's gender neutral. The it's what that's the Islamic State williar in that part of the world, so like Province, West Africa Province. I think it stands for these are the targets of these flights and strikes and Jay and I am being another jahardest group that is not associated with the so called Islamic State, got it?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, hit you with another acronym, A foyer. I think I think we know that. One fire by the Cato Institute has revealed that the FBI under Biden was investigating the SRA that's a socialist rifle association. It didn't bring charges against any of the members, but it did apparently investigate him for some time. Finally, the National Park Service has announced a new fee schedule and quote unquote modernized graphics for passes.
Speaker 1: Is this the horrific image you sent us?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a picture of Donald Trump. Yeah, that's how they've modernized it. It's it's not very nice. I I know there are better things in the parks. I feel like, like, you know, half Dome is nice, the Yosemite Valley, Yeah, pretty cool. Shit in wrangle sint Elias that you could do instead.
Speaker 1: That's like him trying to rename that East Institute after himself. He just keeps trying to put his face and name on everything. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, when you're a dying man, legacy becomes very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, But that's exactly it. The US Institute of Peace is being renamed for Trump.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, oh I know I miss that. Great cool.
Speaker 1: It's feeling very similar to that, whether he's just putting his face and name on everything.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So two things, right, electronic passes for parks it's phony a good thing, And a one hundred dollars up charge for non United States I think it's residents as opposed to citizens in the eleven most popular parks.
Speaker 1: How can they even check that?
Speaker 19: I might just ask like this, this sounds like a tourism thing, right, like they just wanted people to dinner, like visiting the States to pay more.
Speaker 3: To be clear, other countries do this. I still think it's bad. Like some of the Grand Canyon is part of a cultural patrimony of all of humanity. Yeah, the National Park Service itself is an exercise in set like colonialism. But we can talk about that forever. Yeah, I've seen some stuff with gate ranges, be like, I'm absolutely not asking feel green cord. Yeah, no, that's silly fear ranges. But yeah, I think they were just kind of assuming good faith. A lot of other countries do do this, It's not unusual. I still think it sucks. There's also an interagency pass. It's two fifty for non residents and eighty dollars for residents. So those are they're the big changes there.
Speaker 19: Speaking of big changes, a pretty big update in a case that has lasted nearly five years. This morning, Thursday, December fourth, a suspect was arrested in connection to the pipe bombs placed around the capital the night before January sixth, specifically at the DNC and rnc aad quarters in Washington, d C. This suspect has been identified as thirty year old Brian Cole Junior, from a Woodbridge, Virginia. Federal law enforcement sources have told The New York post that the suspect may have had quote unquote anarchist leanings unquote. This could mean anything, right, This could be anything from like anti government, violent extremism like militia movement type extremism, Boogaloo boys, accelerationist, as well as possible left wing anarchist leanings. Sure, it could be any number of things. There's still very limited information about this. Even in the like DJ press conference that just wrapped up a few minutes before we started recording. They're being pretty tight left about details. And I think about his gait, Well, yes, people are asking about his gait, and allegedly he had begun building explosive devices in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So like some some background.
Speaker 19: This arrest does partially discredit a report from The Blaze, which Robert has talked about on this show before, which falsely identified a former Capitol Police officer as the bomber based on Gate analysis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they prosecute someone else, the Blaze is going to get sued out of existence. So I would imagine they.
Speaker 19: Critical support to former Capital police officer puts the Blaze out of business. Wow, pour one out for Glenn Beck. But this suspect that lives at a home associated with both their parents. It's unclear if their parents are still married. Suspects dad runs a bail bond business, which the Sun is supposed to have worked for, and the mom is a real estate agent. Not much online presence can be found yet on Brian Cole Junior. I've spent hours looking and so far not much there. But we'll see if that changes over time.
Speaker 1: A developing story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'll do a whole episode if it marriage it later, I guess sure. Talking of terrible indictment, Garrison, would you like to hear about a terrible indictment out of Texas?
Speaker 19: I'm going to say yes, but no, I don't know if i'd like to for what reasons? I feel like you're going to do it anyway, so I'll play along.
Speaker 3: Two Texas men have been indicted for a plan to invade a small island off hate, kill all the men, and sexually enslave all the women and children.
Speaker 1: What I'm sorry?
Speaker 20: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah? This is this is a wild one. The indictment says they we hope to quote lead an unlawful expeditionary force to the island of Gonave, which is part of the Republic of at For the purpose of carrying out their rape fantasies. Weisinberg and Thomas plan to purchase a sailboat, firearms, and ammunition, then recruit members of the District of Columbia area homeless population to serve as a mercenary force, as say invader Gnave Island and stage Acudaita. Weisenberg and Thomas intended to murder all of the men on the island so they could turn all of the women and children into their sex slaves. That is what is alleged in the indictment. Right be an interesting case. One of them had joined the Air Force in twenty twenty five to get some military experience, or was in the Air Force this year to get some military experience and has successfully been transferred to nearer to d C from where they hope to recruit unhoused people to service merceries.
Speaker 1: This is absolutely insane. Who are who are these two Texas men? Why do they think this is like a thing that can be like, all.
Speaker 3: Right, it's borderline something I considered not including because like the people are probably pretty unwell.
Speaker 1: It seems like are they just obsessed with like Eric Prince like, I don't, I don't understand.
Speaker 19: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, if the guy hadn't passed all the background checks to get into the air Force, I feel like this would be less remarkable. Right, But while planning to invade a small island and enslave everybody he got into the air force. That that in itself like like should be a story. And of course it is all alleged, right, it's all in an indictment. We don't know what the evidential basis for a lot of this is.
Speaker 1: Well, that was disturbing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild one. I guess we'll keep you informed. What Garson Garrison.
Speaker 1: I like, I like, can't even compute, Like, that's one of the most insane things I've heard in a really long time.
Speaker 19: Well, fors of economic news, let's has thrown to tariffs.
Speaker 1: Let's glow to tariff talk with me a.
Speaker 20: Rocking jazz rockety jazz bot rocking jazz rocky jazz bo.
Speaker 21: This is mea wong with tariff talk. So obviously, the biggest tariff news right now is the impending Supreme Court ruling on the legality of a broad swath of the terrorists that Trump has imposed using unbelievably dubious legal and economic authority. And by unbelievably dubious, I mean it is so patently illegal. It is an astounding demonstration of the complete advocation of the Supreme Court's pretensions at being one of the branches of government. That this hasn't already been overturned. But this is ruling has not dropped yet. Everyone's waiting. So in the meantime, what we have is a bunch of Trump administration officials have been going on TV and talking about trade policy, and they're saying something that we've been hearing for a while now, which is that they believe that they can use different set of legal authority to impose the same tariffs. Whether they can do this or not, is I mean, they shouldn't be able to do this, like all of that, All of the authority they're using is pretty ridiculous. But this has been This has been their strategy. They've been reiterating their strategy. On the other side, we've seen some interesting movement in terms of the opposition, which is that Costco has become sort of the biggest company to join in this trend of company and he's like going to court with lawsuits to try to recoup the money that they've spent on these tariffs, because if the Supreme Court ruling like overturns the legality of these terriffs, these companies can get their money back retroactively. Costco is the biggest company we've seen so far short of moved to attempt to do this remedy to the courts. So we will, we will, we will keep an eye on this. And this is you know, I think, I think, especially if this comes overturned, we're going to see a lot of companies trying to make moves for this. This is something that is going to piss off the Trump administration because they've been talking a giant game about how, oh these are going to fund the like two thousand dollars tariff checks you're never getting. Trump is literally talking about and this is the you know, this is an old sort of right wing thing, but he's talking about how, oh, terriff's revenue is going to replace income tax, which no, it's not like I just nonsense, gibberish numbers don't work. Orders the magnitude off just nonsense can't work.
Speaker 3: But you know, this is there.
Speaker 21: These are things that they're saying, and there's probably going to be an increasing conflict between the sectors of capital that just want their money back from these tariffs and the Trump administration, which you know, wants there's money for its, you know, nebulus political purposes. There's been some sort of interesting political developments in terms of Trump and Lula. So people will probably remember from listening to the show that there have been very very high turiffs on Brazil that are effectively political tariffs for actually putting one gi Air Bolscenaro in prison for you know, the mere crime of attempting to overthrow the government to install himself as the.
Speaker 12: Ruler of Brazil.
Speaker 21: Now there has been over the past few weeks there's been some sort of ratcheting down of a lot of the tariffs. There's been a bunch of goods that have been exempt from the teriffs as part of Trump's sort of widespread efforts to like lower food prices, because there's a bunch of food goods that are being exempt from this stuff. And there was also very recently we got an actual call between Trump and Lula which seems to have gone fairly well, you know, at least it seems to have been cordial. The two seem to both be coming out of it saying like, oh, we agree on things. It's going to go great. And this is to a large extent, an attempt to do a replay of Lula's positive relationship with the Bush administration the last time he was in power, where and this is you know, this has been a trend in the in the sort of the original pink tide and in this government where you have a kind of mix of the sort of pink tie center left governments in Latin America, where you know, Lula has traditionally been the one who's been sort of playing with the US more. And you know, as we're saying, right now, you have the US gearing up for, you know, like potentially a war in Venezuela, and there's been a whole bunch of conflict with Columbia. But Lula seems to be trying to sort of play the role that he played in the two thousands. We'll see how that goes. Trump is astonishingly significantly more unstable than George W. Bush, which is just good lord, oh god, okay, with enough, Oh my god. They finally found a president who is less coherent and more unhinged than George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 21: The final piece of news that we need to touch on is the US is chief trade negotiator gave an interview with Politico, and this is Perya who News basically talked to Politico and told them that Trump is considering, you know, is talking about leaving or renegotiating the USMCA, which is the trade agreements that he negotiated to replace NAFTA in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Roll this back again.
Speaker 3: This is his deal.
Speaker 22: He's talking about leaving or renegotiating his deal. This was his big thing in twenty twenty is big. One of his big things was, oh I abolished NAFTA. Oh I created this deal, and you know, I've one at the time was like, well, this is just like NAFTA with like the edges filed off, you know, but like this is sort of the point that we're at in Trumpian trade policy where it's like, ah, we're getting ripped off by Mexico and Canada in the trade deal that I saw. And as Garrison is fond of saying, the defining political question of our times, he was president in twenty twenty.
Speaker 21: Brother, you you did this, this this this was your trade deal, and somehow, somehow now you know, into in terms of real terms, right, this is actually a massive deal. So this deal has a six year term. It was negotiated in twenty twenty, which means just coming up next year. And this is a big enough deal that there's already sort of a full court press and the press. You can see the New York Times running it where every single faction of capital nhsicle fashion, but a whole bunch of factions of the capital are getting every single think tank and lobbying group and you know, like Policy Research Institute or whatever together to be like, please don't get rid of this. Because the thing about the us MCA, and this something we've talked about to some extent in terms of Canada and Mexico tariffs. But one of the really important things about the teriffs that have been imposed on Mexico and Canada on the terrorifraces are extremely high, is that those tariffs haven't been applied to goods that are covered by the USMCA. And this has been a crucial lifeline to allow trade to not be annihilated by those American tariffs. And if Trump pulls out of it and suddenly those goods are covered by these tariffs. It's going to be a really really significant economic hit for everyone in the world eventually, but for the US and Mexico and Canada, this is going to be a massive deal. And I want to kind of close on a kind of broader point about this for a second, which is that like, we're not pro NAFTA, Like no NAFTA was bad. Part of the reason theho administration was able to do this was because of the ways that NAFTA sort of hauled out and destroyed fast sections of the American working class and also the Mexican working classes has not been good for anyone really involved in this. One of the things that happens if you if you go into the economic literature. One of the episodes I did a while back talking about US and Mexico in history of like trade policy, they're sort of talks about this, which is that if you go back into the economic literature, all of the economics people have had to admit that the leftists from the nineties or whatever were right that this was not going to benefit the Mexican working class. It hasn't, you know. But on the other hand, Trump's sort of this is also not benefiting the Mexican or American working classes. Nothing that these people do on either side really do. If you want to look at what actual sort of resistance in NAFTA looks like, and what effective resistance NAFTA looks like, look at the Zapatistas whose rebellion was sparked by NAFTA and who went into revolt on the day that NAFTA went into effect. But Trump has been able to very effectively kind of be the person who comes in as I'm the champion of the workers, etc.
Speaker 3: Etc.
Speaker 21: Because I'm renegotiating the evil trade deals and now like our good American workers would no longer be exploited by like evil Mexican or Chinese workers, which you know, has been an extremely effective political strategy for him, and is you know, awsome. So this sort of this sort of like national fascist program that he's running is sort of based on, you know, on this kind of trade policy and on manipulating the sentiments of people who got like actually screwed over by by NAFTA. So yeah, that's where we're gonna kind of close on this. As Trump is thinking about pulling out that is a huge deal. And yeah, this has been teriff talk.
Speaker 1: Let's let's go to an ad break real quick. We'll be right back, and we're back, Arison, tell me, tell me something less horrific than what James just told us before me as tariff textion.
Speaker 3: I missed a pot. I missed a pot. Okay, do you do? You want to guess how they were making money for part of this and cording to the indictment, this is the Texas many why's been made the island? How are they making money?
Speaker 1: Crypto?
Speaker 3: No, it's worse than that. That's a good guest, Sophie.
Speaker 16: Mm.
Speaker 19: But you've said it's worse than that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, manipulating camgirls.
Speaker 3: In a sense, it appears they were producing child sexual abuse material.
Speaker 23: Oh yeah, wow, this is I mean, obviously it's still allegedly, but like, this is one of the worst things I've ever heard, and I don't even know how to react.
Speaker 15: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was he received he was prosecuted under U C mjuh for that previously this year. Yeah, I was prosecuted in Uh. I'm just reading a Task and Purpose article which builds in the indictment. But the it says, so he's arrested in July and has since been court martialed. Ah, so good times, good times in the air the Air Force.
Speaker 19: Yeah, well I can't I can't believe the Air Force has done something wrong. Yeah, finally the first blaze on are prouder glorious Air Force. Maybe the biggest national news story kicked off the day before Thanksgiving, not just because of what happened, but then all of the fallout that has resulted from this incident, which James will report on afterwards. But let's go back to the day before Thanksgiving where two National Guard troops from West Virginia on assignment in Washington, d C. It's a part of Trump's crime crackdown were shot on patrol a few blocks away from the White House. Other Guard members fired back and tackled the shooter. One of the National Guard members, a twenty year old named Sarah Beckstrom, died from gunshot injuries on Thanksgiving. The other, twenty four year old Andrew Wolfe, has so far survived remains hospitalized.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 19: A twenty nine year old man, Romanula Locknwall is charged with first degree murder and assault with intent to kill. The criminal complaint alleges he shouted a la akbar as he fired Lockawall came to the United States as a part of Operation Allies Welcome in twenty twenty one, which moved US assets out of Afghanistan as the Taliban gain control of the region. Lockinwall was later granted formal asylum under Trump. This past April, friend of the alleged shooter told The New York Times that Lockerwall joined the CIA backed paramilitary squad Unit zero three to earn money for his family and get medical training, rather than for ideological reasons, and when he returned from stints with the zero Unit, his personality changed and he was less socially outgoing. To quote from the Times quote, Blockenwall told others in his village that he had been shaken by seeing so many bodies and bloodshed in.
Speaker 3: His role with the zero three unit. Quote.
Speaker 19: According to a volunteer who worked with his family, Blockenwall's mental health started rapidly declining in early twenty twenty three. He begun self isolated, withdrawing from work and family, stopped paying rent, and faced deviction in twenty twenty four. This volunteer wrote in an email to an immigrant nonprofit group, which was obtained by the AP In the New York Times, which reads that lock Andwell quote has not been functional as a person, father and provider since March of last year, twenty three. His behavior has changed greatly unquote. When Lockwell emerged from quote unquote dark isolation, it was to engage in quote unquote reckless travel, according to this volunteer, long seemingly pointless road trips across the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he seems to be behaving in a way that, like you said, suggest he has some PTSD or.
Speaker 19: Like no PTSD from engaging in combat. This is very common among veterans and mental health support for specifically these people in this in this paramilitary unit probably doesn't exist, right, does not exist the same way it does for veterans of the United States military, which already is a lacking service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that. Yeah, I mean these the ship that these guys did was dark. I've included in the in the show notes a linked to a Human Rights Watch report. But like, there's a reason that they weren't specifically under In theory, they were under the Afghan Ministry of Defense Command, but in practice they operated outside either chain of control. They did kill or capture missions. There are multiple reports of them killing everybody in a house and then it being the wrong house. Like really, stuff that is going to stay with someone, right and unless they're like, you know, pretty nuts, No, extremely horrifying, Yeah, terrifying stuff. Pretty much immediately after, the Trump administration began calling for various immigration restrictions based on this. Right Now, it's worth noting that luck Andwell entered the United States as part of Operation Allied Welcome, right, but then he received US asylum under the Trump administration, so that would have been this year, right, Like, I'm not entirely sure why he went asylum rather than a special immigrant visa, but both the pathways that are opened to Afghan people, right, SIV has some benefits, but also it had some different things that they'd have to jump through, Like one of them would be a believe to get an officer to write a recommendation and maybe CIA folks on into doing that. So following this, the US immediately began to call for a crackdown on Afghan migrants. And as we'll see more broadly on migrants. I think it's important to contextualize this globally because it's part of a crackdown on a nation which is seen nearly half a century of war. Right, ninety percent of the ten million people who fled Afghanistan reside in Pakistan or Iran. I've reported on this before on this show, but Iran has deported more than a million Afghan people since twenty twenty three, right, and they have very few pathways to permanent residency anywhere. Among refugees, Afghan people have it particularly difficult. On Tuesday, the us CIS Citizenship and Immigration Services issued a memo ordering its employees to place on hold all asylum, green card and citizenship form applications from quote unquote high risk countries and to investigate all arrivals from them since twenty twenty one. They are also placing a hold on all forms I five eight nine, which is the application for asylum and for withholding of for removal, regardless of where the person is from. So we have this specific halt on asylum for Afghan nationals that comes first, and then following that we have these nineteen high risk countries. The high risk countries are listed in Presidential Proclamation one oh nine four nine, which was issue back in June. I'll just read out the name, so people who are aware Afghanistan Burma, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, Barundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Tookmenistan, and Venezuela. If you recall us covering this back, then you will remember that the reason cited in that proclamation is percentage of visa overstays. This doesn't have anything to do with risk, right, other than risk of overstaying one's visa. They do not justify the inclusion of these countries based on the potential for people there to do terrorism, right, at least not all of them. Yeah, it's worth pointing out. I guess that percentages visa overstates isn't that useful of a figure, because if you have ten people and one over stays, then that's only one person, But it's also a ten percent overstay rate, right, so it doesn't look at like raw numbers. Nonetheless, this would mean from the way I'm reading it, that any application with these people on it might be paused. So that could include like if someone had applied to have a spouse or family member come over and obtain legal status, right, or if someone was sponsoring someone or they were a duel national. They're like a bor Indian American for example. We will see how long this lasts. Trump has previously failed to get a total asylum ban, but for the meantime, like this is catastrophic for people attempting to seek asylum or permanent residency in the US. The only sort of upside that I can see on upside, but like you know, not terrible thing is that I don't think this would pause the work permit clock. So people have been listening to my series this week, they will have learned about the work permit clock. Right, because this is a government action, not an action from individuals. I don't think it would pause that clock. I guess to just wrap up the migrant crackdown stuff, Trump announced via a truth that quote, I am, as President of the United States here by terminating, effective immediately, the Temporary Protected Status program for Somalis in Minnesota. In the Thanksgiving message, he also repeated a number of claims about migrants and used a slurt to described him Walls. Yeah, he called him R word, and I think it is worth saying. Yeah. He has reiterated this multiple times on camera when Aspire reporters. Yeah, great stuff. And this is.
Speaker 19: Specifically in reference to reporting which has come out of Minnesota about a series of like fraudulent claims based on like COVID nineteen food and housing assistance programs this state was running, and people who were abusing those programs for their own financial benefit, and some of these specific instances are now being used to attack the entire Somali community in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's worth noting that the percentage of the Somali community which is on TPS is very small. It's probably a few hundred people. I don't know how those COVID assistance programs like overlap with once immigration status, right, but it's worth noting that. It's also worth noting, like I've linked to the statue in the show notes, the Somali TPS extends until March of twenty twenty six. It probably won't be renewed then, Right, That's what the Trump administration has been doing, is sunsetting TPS is for all kinds of people. The statute does not give the president power to end the TPS, certainly not on a state by state basis. Right. Yeah, that's a good point. The notice of revocation would appear in the Federal Register, and the TPS would then have sixty days if it was being revoked, that people would have sixty days to act on that information. Right, you can't just post it. That's not how this works. As of today, when I check the Federal Register, the last entry for the Somali TPS with its renewal last year. So there appears to have been no actual legal action taken on this, But nonetheless there has been ICE enforcement. Right there are videos of ICE officers specifically asking people if they are Somali in Minnesota, which is troubling. I think that's about all the ICE crackdown stuff. I have guess Greg Bavino's in Louisiana, I don't know. So there's been a lot of discussion this week and House hearings about the drone strike that began the United States campaign of drone strikes against small boats in both the Caribbean and the Pacific. Right so called narco terrorists jam yeah, so yeah, I think so called is doing a lot of work there. There seems to be a lot of debate about whether Pete Hegscess directly ordered a second strike on survivors from the first strike. Excess had denied this, saying, quote, the thing was on fire and it exploded. You can't see anything. This is called the fog of war. That's not the fog before yet. It's nobody means you're not at war. You're in a suit in a room watching a TV screen.
Speaker 19: Also, it doesn't revert to like literal smoke edge fog. I'm sorry, and this is like absurd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a ludicrous claim, right. Yes, there have been times where I have been in places like for instance, I was in Java a couple of years ago and we were being bombed. Right the way for me to get information, it was better for me to like go online and find stuff because the access to information on the ground in conflict times can be difficult. That's not the case when you're in DC watching a screen readout right. That is why we have people who are not in combat making these decisions. The White House has claimed that Admiral Bradley, who was JSOCK commander at the time, ordered the strike to Cotton Today claimed that two people in the video were trying to roll the boat to get back in the fight. What that's not a thing that one can do, like they're not in just to be clear they're not in like a kayak here, like this is in what I would call a cigarette boat, like a fast speedboat. You can't roll those like that.
Speaker 19: I don't understand they were not engaged in combat.
Speaker 3: No, Like, I don't see any evidence that these people were equipped to like certainly not to fight against a drone.
Speaker 18: Right.
Speaker 3: No, Why does this matter?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 3: Because these people are dead regardless.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Why does the emphasis on this second strike matter more than simply attacking them the first time? Why is could this result in haig Seth being in yea a degree of trouble? Why there's a defensive about this second strike?
Speaker 3: Fair question? It is a very clear violation of the US military's own Law of War manual, which I have linked and the Geneva Conventions to kill someone who's demonstrably order to combat right out of combat i e. A shipwrecked sailor, i e. A wounded soldier who's thrown away their weapon. These people were very clearly not fighting. From every report that we've seen, this has been part of the way that war is conducted for centuries, like picking up shipwrecked sailors after sinking about, etc. I'm not saying this has always happened. The US has done double tap strikes for a long time. Yeah, there has been I should just clarify, guess there has been some debate about the SEMA antics of the word double tap. First of all, that's not important. What is important is that they killed people who were not fighting, who are out of combat, and who are clinging to a burning shipwrecked boat. A double tap does generally refer to a strike and then a subsequent strike which is focused on killing the people who came to rescue the people hitting the first strike. There was no one to rescue these people. But I don't think that, like, that's not what's at stake here, right, That is, it doesn't matter what term we use to describe this other than war crime. There were double taped strikes at the time that I spoke about when I was in ri Java, where they did bomb ambulance crews, and yeah, that shit is absolutely reprehensible. But what happened here is also reprehensible as it's being recounted to us. Eventually this video will come out, I'm sure. More broadly, the United States seems to be signaling intent to continue its campaign against my daughter, saying it will begin land strikes quote unquote soon. What yeah, like this is extremely worrying, right like, yeah, tramp of course a great peace president who has ended what is it like nine wars? Trump the dove, I think is what he personally perfect. It's a hell of a visual. The people of Venezuela are the ones who are going to suffer, right Like, It's not going to be the regime officials for the most part. Yeah, Venezuela's a vast, mountainous jungle country. It's an easy place for us to do land war, not a particularly easy place for US to do drone warfare either. You know, I've written a lot about the United States Duran campaign in Syria and the disaster that was right in the amount of what they considered to be acceptable civilian casualties. We don't have any indications from this DoD or like from HEXF that like he will seek to minimize those right like this this could be shaping up to be a disaster for the people of Venezuela.
Speaker 19: I mean, yeah, I find it unlike that haig Seth will actually fall into trouble international law because of this. People always get away, and I mean you can see how Trump already pardoned number of work criminals earlier this year and in his first administration, right, and in his first administration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as much fun.
Speaker 19: As it is to be like haha, like this, I like to see old peate haig Seth wiggles way out of this jam.
Speaker 3: Yes he will. I think he's expected to do so quite easily. I mean international doesn't exist for people in the global North. It's a thing that they do to prosecute African people for the most part. But yes, very unlikely that we will see hag Seth in the Hague for this still bad though. We'll go on another ad break and be right back.
Speaker 12: All right, we are back.
Speaker 19: We would like to now expand and clarify some of our previous previous discussion of Zoron's White has meeting with Donald Trump and some statements around ice raids and ice detainers. Let's start by clarifying this one hundred and seventy serious crimes number. Yeah, while answering a question, Zoran said, quote, we discussed ice and New York City, and I spoke about how the laws we have in New York City allowed the city government to speak to the federal administration about roughly one hundred and seventy serious crimes unquote. This one hundred and seventy number is in reference to Local Law fifty eight Administrative Code nine Dash one three to one, which was passed in twenty fourteen and strengthened New York sanctuary laws and required that they only honor ice detainers when presented with the judicial warrant issued by an article time refederal judge or federal magistrate judge based on probable cause, and when the subject of the detainer and warrant is either listed in a terrorist database or has been convicted of a violent or serious crime. Now, the term violent or serious crime refers to a list of approximately one hundred and seventy crimes which is listed in Local Law fifty four. I think there's a five year limit as well, right, Like it has to be within five years. So there's a number of like they like stack on each other. Yeah, Like there's This is just a one of many like amendments strengthening their sanctuary laws. And I'm mentioning it specifically to clarify where the one hundred and seventy number comes from and where people can find all of the criminal codes that are listed, which is again, approximately one hundred and seventy crimes. Yeah, and the change that this local law did is that this person doesn't have to just be accused of one of these crimes, but actually be can or listed in a terroor stateabase.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And these are mostly like violent felets. Yeah. The law that Garrison refers to lists them by penal code number. So I'm working on expanding those into a list of words that human beings can understand. Yeah, sure, just because I think people generally don't understand sanctuary protections. Sanctuary laws are not like a They're not the same in every state, They're not the same in every city in every state, and I think a lot of people have an understanding of them, which could do with being improved. So I'm going to probably do a whole episode on that. I think with regard to the list of crimes in New York, I would prefer to do that as a print piece because it's just better if someone could find it on the internet, and that doesn't work as well with podcasts other stuff regarding this, Just so people are aware, right like, federally, one could be deported for a huge range of crimes from violent crime to thefto over ten thousand dollars to a vast range of quote unquote crimes involving moral turpitude. The problem, of course, is that we have fifty different states with fifty different sets of laws, and we have to map federal regulations onto them. There is some Supreme Court case law about how we do that. Crimes involving moral turpitude can be things that you might consider extraordinarily minor, like turnstile hopping. Yeah, I'm going to do a whole episode on these, because again, I think you could see in that press conference, so when Zoran spoke about immigration, Trump tried to move the topic to deporting criminals. Yeah, and the people who are being deported as criminals, whilst the DHS twitter feed wants to highlight people who've been convicted of murder and things, and that's by far look at an EDU case. Yeah, And I think that's why he mentioned the one hundred and seventy like serious urvolent crimes and like specifically that those are the ones that the New York Sentuary laws do have this quote unquote cooperation on and like in a meeting, Zorn said that he and Trump talked about how current ice operation in New York City, I quote unquote very little to do with serious crime, with these crimes listed on these detainers. Yeah, and that's a broad thing across the United States, right, Like even we spoke about this a couple of weeks ago. But like, if you look at Charlotte right where they have they are legally bound to honor all ICE detainers by HB ten, you've still got Ice out and about raiding people, and you have sheriffs complaining about Ice not picking people up right the detainer, I guess I should explain what a detainer is as well. A detainer is an extra forty eight hour hold. It doesn't mean that you just like lock them up forever. It means that you hold them for forty eight hours such that ICE can come in and collect the person. Because ICE is so focused on I don't know what you want to call it, grabbing people off the street. Yeah, it seems that they're not collecting these people. There's been some pushback, like on straight up economic grounds in some states because the detaining people is quite expensive, right, so detaining people for long periods of time and it's just not showing up. I can see how not to give support to sheriff's departments or whatever. But like rural sheriff's departments which are on limited budgets, would start to get pissed off after a time about holding people. But yeah, that is what a detainer is, got it. ICE doesn't necessarily have to abide by local sanctuary laws. And what we have seen is that, like, cops are cops, and they will make mistakes, and if someone gets handed over, you can't take them back if the cops fuck that up.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, and this is part of the other things that Zaron campaigned on to like strength and sanctuary protections, And specifically in the section of his policies on quote unquote trump proofing New York City, he talks about like ending a legal ICE cooperation on Riker's Island or ICE is currently stationed, which does go against sanctuary laws, and you've talked about ending that as well as providing one hundred and sixty five million dollars in funding for immigration legal defend services in the cities, which would be a massive increase and what is currently provided. Yeah, as well as just like limiting interactions with police, right is the more you interact with the police, the more likely is that you might accidentally or quote unquote accidentally get put into trouble even though you know, police in New York are not supposed to ever ask someone that what their immigration status is or or cooperate with ice requests that do not you know, fall under this specific container law. But I mean in terms of like ways to limit interactions with police, this goes back to some very basic ideas on like, you know, addressing the economic conditions that create crime in the first place, as well as the Department of Community Safety, which is soron intends to create which will provide new mental health services, crisis response, and homeless outreach outside of the NYPD.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, not criminalizing homelessness and not criminalizing parking are probably two of the most meaningful things that you can do to limit police interaction a specifically police interactions from documented people.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and I mean in terms of like turnstile hopping or like fair evation. It's it's complicated in New York. Mean, this isn't gonna be something that they honor a detainer for. But in terms of like you know, just talking about like the Yeah, how weird and specific each state's laws are like turnstile hopping can be a misdemeanor crime in New York due to like theft of services.
Speaker 3: It can also just be a civil in fracture.
Speaker 19: It can, but it's up to the officer to decide whether they want this to turn into a criminal misdemeanor or a civil infraction and just pay one hundred dollars fine. Even this is like cause confusion among like immigrants and immigrant rights attorneys over like dealing with like old old fair ofvation cases and being like, does this now like disqualify me from certain things or does this, like you know, present a threat of being deported if I if I declare this and like whatever, like citizenship or the green card meeting, they may they may have scheduled. Yeah, and yeah, not not criminalizing fair ovation would be huge. And if someone's able to make you know, free buses, that'll do, you know, a considerable dent in preventing cases where ferivation could be used as a pretext federally support someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because that person or that person could leave New York and be somewhere else, right, or they could just get swept up in ice workplace raid, and that could be used as a pretext like there are many reasons why even if it's sanctuary protected, that person could still be vulnerable because of that prosecution.
Speaker 19: Like you said, yeah, I mean, and then those sorts of raids are still happening in New York.
Speaker 3: An attempted rate happened in Connell Street. Yeah, last week.
Speaker 19: It was prevented from being carried out by people who literally blocked Ice from leaving the parking garage that they were in, and the NYPD then arrested a few protesters. It remains to be seen how Zoron will handle incidents like this going forward. He still does not become the mayor for but thirty days, right, but a spokesperson for the mayor elect has said that Zoron quote has made it clear, including to the President, that these raids are cruel and inhumane and failed to advanced genuine public safety. New York City's more than three million immigrants are central to our city strength, retality, and success. The Mayor Electromaine Steadfast and his emumitment to protecting the rights and dignity of every single New Yorker, upholding our sanctuary laws, and de escalation rather than use of unnecessary force unquote, believe that last sentence could be read as in reference to the police conduct while handling antiites protests, yeah, quote unquote de escalation rather than use of unnecessary force. But this is not something that they have talked about much.
Speaker 1: Curious to see when he's actually the mayor, what will happen here?
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and that's that's that's a part of like what governing is going to look like in this case, which is kind of sure, it's hard to say. We've never really had a high profile like you know, dsa person who previously advocated like defunded or abolishing the police become the mayor of a city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think this kind.
Speaker 19: Of relates to like so much of what the project in New York is around New York City DSA and zoron to rather than just like you know, be like chasing electoral cars and then crashing once you have control. Exortins weren't just in like actually running the city and providing a legitimate example that democratic socialst policies can deliver on promises for workers and improve life in New York. And if this project succeeds, it can be pointed to and replicated by others. And there's a very strict focus on like making sure that he's able to succeed on a section of like economic policies. He's not in a federal position, right He's not running on abolishing ice, as he can't as the mayor of New York And like, I think it's very unclear right now, like what a politics of abolishing ice really looks like outside of like this like contemplative, like reflective and like judgmental politics, which falls further and further away from like taking steps to do action.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean a politics abolishing GUS looks like the United States up until two thousand and one, right, like we didn't have ice.
Speaker 19: Well, but like from now, like what would it mean to actually stop the quotations completely?
Speaker 3: Like what will that look like? What can be done politically to do that? Right?
Speaker 19: And Zorin's not doing this because Soron's the mayor of New York City. He cannot run for president. People in his orbit could run for the House and set it and push forward bills to do this, and they might over time, But like there is a difference between being the mayor of a local municipality and like what are legitimate politics of actually stopping our current process of deportations, what that really looks like and how to actually achieve that, which a very little thought is being put towards among the American left right now, And it kind of it falls back on these like reflective or like contemplative statements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there have been proposals put forward for a long time on what it would look like to create better legal pathways and fewer deportations, right, like those who existed. Sure, like you can look specifically at what people were trying to get Biden to do in twenty twenty, right, which he obviously completely failed to do and in effect made things much worse. But like those policy proposals exist, and they're well thought out and well planned from people who've been working into space for decades. Right, Danni can do is like what they call in political science, like the coketails effect, totally right. As a very popular candidate, people can ride on his coattails. And I think it's important in that sense that he continues rhetorically to oppose what Ice is doing, which, like that statement you read, did right, But it's very important that he if he's able to successfully have his administration in New York and we will see how shit goes in that regard. But if he is and there is an electoral project that can arise based on that, then like it is very important that they remain in lockstep that like, we are not going back, We're not gonna have a Democrat com president in twenty eight and just do a Joe Biden again right where things get worse. So in that sense, I think it like it needs to be something that everyone in that movement retains. I guess, like not uniformity is the wrong word, you know, but you know what I mean literally that it continues to be something of a norse staff for whatever is emerging to the left of the DNC.
Speaker 19: Yeah, And like I did also, like I guess clarify some things I would have said last week and not claiming that sheerly the the process of honoring these detainers will like vaguely in a causal sense, results in less ice raids in the city. I mean, these detainers are they are legally required, even under sanctuary laws, to be to be followed. And I think part of what Zora was doing was trying to redirect the president's thought away from these larger raids to these specific serious crimes. And I think in some of this is based on Trump kind of has like the last person in the room syndrome off He kind of just likes or or follows or parrots whoever the last person in the room was.
Speaker 3: And like what they told him.
Speaker 19: I'm not saying that like honoring these these legally required detainers is like is simply harmon direction in that sense. This is more so in reference to the ongoing negotiations between Momdani and Trump to limit ICE action in the city outside of these detainer requests, which do address serious crime. Which Trump and Mom Donnie saw as a point of commonality on is they want New York to be a safe place for people, focusing on that as opposed to these general ICE raids. And there's been like some slight movement on this. Raids have continued, but there's been slight movement in terms of Trump at least for now, pulling out of his plans to deploy National Guard to assist ICE. YEA, and like that is the single point where we see some movement on. And this will be something that in terms of raids like on Connall Street. Well, we'll see if this actually makes a larger impact once he takes office and continues these negotiations.
Speaker 3: If National Guard or assisting ICE, is that like because they can't directly do the immigration enforcement, right, Well, I mean assisting ICE in the way that they haven't washed in DC. Yeah, like in terms of like quote unquote protecting officers or quote yes.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and you know the proposals to do so in Chicago and Portland, which are cotton like legal limbo. But I mean that the Portland was more specifically for the ICE facility, Yeah, protecting federal building, this kind of deal, versus in Washington, d C. They were like on patrol with ICE, Like they were like roving.
Speaker 3: Around and doing roadblocks and shit.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and like much of this quote unquote crime crackdown, as Bridgetes reported on our show, really is actually a way to do like enhanced immigration enforcement.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 19: There's a lot of fear in New York and discussions with people in New York and like how are we going to handle this happening here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And this is like the one point of moment that we've seen is Trump pulling out of these plans, which previously we're quite certain he wants to like go one by one and like invade these cities. Yeah, New York. You also have the like the added factor that like New York is technically in that border enforcement zone, right, So I mean as is Chicago. Yeah, I guess most of these places have been Chicago, Portland is Los Angeles. Is because of the Laketown Los Angeles, they deployed border patrol. Right, that's another thing that it could happen in New York. But like the far hasn't on a massive scale, but yeah, it remains to be seen. Right, Like Trump has this like operation at Large that Buveno controls that he could deploy to New York and it'll be yeah, provided to Boston, where Michelle Bouch has like taken a different approach, right, like and yeah, I guess we'll We'll have to continue waiting and seeing. It's really heartening to me that people showed up in New York as well, you know, like oh yeah, that people in New York showed up on Canal Street like that is uh yeah, and prevented ICE from doing any detentions or arrests. Yeah, And I think like they like the ICE eventually had to leave to New Jersey, Is that right? Like they had to go through the tunnel or whatever, like the tunnel, yeah, the tunnel of shade. Yeah yeah, but like that that is like that is what kept those people safe.
Speaker 6: Rightly.
Speaker 3: They didn't have to wait for Eric Adams or man Downey or anyone else, like it was members of their community.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is cool talking of communities. They want to want to talk about the campus campus community and have freedom of speech. He's under threat on our campuses. Well, freedom of religion is under threat, James, Okay, religion to freedom to so tired, freedom to tire, to cite a vibe space interpretation of the religion.
Speaker 19: I mean, yeah, this unfortunately, this story did infringe upon my freedom to not read horrible college essays Garrison.
Speaker 3: That is a freedom that I have not had for many years.
Speaker 19: No, no, and this is why I'm interested in your thoughts on this. A transgraduate instructor has been suspended from the University of Oklahoma after issuing a failing grade to a students assignment right a six hundred and fifty word response to a study on if gender conformity is linked to popularity or bullying in middle school. This twenty year old psychology major, a junior, wrote in her response that she does not consider bullying a problem because quote God made male and female and made us different from each other on purpose and for a purpose unquote. The response was entirely personal opinion. It does not even properly cite specific like scriptures in the Bible. If, like, if I was to write like an unhinged like like a Christian response, least the least you could do is site specific things.
Speaker 3: Should that be valid? No, but even this was not done.
Speaker 1: It's like Bible fanfic.
Speaker 3: These are the vibes I get from genius.
Speaker 19: Well, yeah, she just gestured her own interpretation of biblical gender roles, right sure, sure, quote women naturally want to do womanly things because God created us with those womanly desires in our heart unquote.
Speaker 3: So she's women and know like like females. I guess maybe maybe she was going for a.
Speaker 19: It's it's all circular reasoning like this all based on based on these like biblical gender roles, and later the essay goes on to self contradict itself on ideas of gender norms versus gender stereotypes, and it's all just very poorly written. James, did you read the whole essay. No, Okay, it's not it's not long. We are not going to read it all on air.
Speaker 3: I'll read it right now.
Speaker 19: I want you to read the whole thing and just just give me the chat your immediate thoughts. I dropped it in the zoom chat.
Speaker 3: You have to understand that I might experience like what it's called a trauma reaction. It's only two pages, so it's based on a review of an article, based on a review of an academic study. Yeah, on if gender conformity impacts bullying or popularity in middle school. Okay, Jesus Christ, that's what she said, but not yet she has excited him specifically. No, she never said Jesus yeah God mm hm ah, hell yeah. I love it when they get into like Hebrew. Oh yeah, yeah, yes, I'm just skinned penulta paragraph. What class is this in psychology? A psychology course? I would assign this for a psychology close. H wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I just read like the last part out loud?
Speaker 3: Okay, Sophie, you can. You can read the last part.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My prayer for the world, and specifically for American society and youth is that they would not believe the lies being spread from satan that make them believe they're better off as another gender than what God made them. I pray that they feel God's love and acceptance as who He originally created them to be.
Speaker 3: So if you really inhabited that role beautifully.
Speaker 19: Thank you, thank you previously and like the paragraph of four.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to do it? Yeah, I unfortunately feel like I could really embody this horrific person. Society pushing the lie that there are multiple genders and everyone should be whatever they want to be is demonic It severely harms American youth. I do not want kids to be.
Speaker 19: Teased bullying stuff yet, So, James, as a college college professor, what is your thoughts on this?
Speaker 3: It's just a bad response to the question, right that there is not a single citation the person has not done what they were instructed to do. They have just it's a classic example of that you have answered the question you wanted me to ask, not the question I have asked. Genre Sure, and in this case, like I'm presuming there was some kind of rubric for grading, Like it seems like a like a the sort of assignment that you would set once a week, right, I don't know if it's an online course or they're just using an online LMS, but the comment is clearly from an online LMS.
Speaker 19: Yeah, they do have the rubrick, and that TPUSA published. The rubrick was that you must write this six hundred and fifty word reaction paper demonstrating that you have read the assigned article and includes a thoughtful reaction to the material presented in the article. Please remember that your reaction paper should not be a summary, but rather a thoughtful discussion of some aspect of the article. Possible approaches to reaction papers include a discussion of why you feel the topic is important and worthy of study or not, or an application of the study or results to your own experiences.
Speaker 3: That's a broader prompt than I had otherwise imagined. Yeah.
Speaker 19: Other section is Reaction papers are graded on a twenty five point scale and are evaluated based on the following Does the paper show a clear tie to the assigned article ten points, Does paper present a thoughtful reaction or response to the article rather than a summary ten points? And is the paper clearly written five points. The best reaction papers illustrate the students have read the assigned materials and engaged in critical thinking about some aspect of the article.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the way you would do that is to reference the article more than in the first line of your paper and then never again, right sure, which is what this person has done here. Look, at no point do they quote from the article, mention anything specifically the article says other than that it was very thought provoking. And then like they've seen the word gender and just gone off like a dog after a squirrel, right, like, yes, and then completely gone off on one about god.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a pretty broad prompt.
Speaker 3: It's broader than I would generally write a prompt, but that's okay with different approaches. They haven't specifically said in the prompt that they want people to cite their sources, which I normally do. But yeah, they haven't really shown any engagement with the article.
Speaker 19: Right Like, this isn't a fresh ofment, this isn't a software this is this is a junior well well into this semester. The response from the instructor was, quote, please note, I'm not deducting points because you have certain beliefs, but instead I'm deducting points where you're posting a reaction paper that does not answer the questions for the assignment, contradict itself, heavily uses personal ideology over empirical evidence in a scientific class, and is at times offensive. While you are entitled to your own personal beliefs, there is an appropriate time or place to implement them in your reflections. I encourage all students to question or challenge the course material with other empirical findings or testable hypotheses, but using your own personal beliefs to argue against the findings of not only this article, but the findings of countless articles across the ecology, biology, sociology, et cetera. Is not best practice unquote yeah so.
Speaker 3: Again this is a science class. I guess right late, Like this is not a scientific response. It is yeah, no, entirely vibespased.
Speaker 19: Before becoming a national news story, this grade was reviewed and approved by another instructor. This isn't just one instructor who happens to be trans This isn't just their personal grade. This was reviewed by another instructor. But on Thanksgiving TPUSA used this story to start a media blitz targeting this quote unquote mentally ill professor, this graduate student instructor, which has resulted in her being placed on leave as the university reviews this incident concerning illegal discrimination based on religious beliefs.
Speaker 3: That's not what that is, right, Like, like, I have watched the short form video about discrimination many times of my years instructing students, and like, this person wasn't discriminated against because of their beliefs. They were discriminated. They weren't discriminated against. They were graded for their response which was poor, for.
Speaker 19: Failing to follow the rules of these and again not not even as like a freshman who needs more clear like you know, first year uniche, Like, no, yeah, this is this is this is a psychology major in her junior year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, writing this response as a part.
Speaker 19: Of it, as a part of a pscient as a scientific psychology course where it's not about science at all. You're just talking about your own impression of what God wants out of gender roles and citing not not even sighting, but like pointing towards the whole spirit and the heavenly Father.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and some Hebrew shit that you've translated. I know that most instructors who teach at universities now are very concerned about exactly this, right, about a student writing a paper which is just bad and then them going to the pretty much tp USA specific right and being like, yes, it came against me because they hate Jesus, and I can imagine that that is worse for trans and gender not conforming and otherwise absolutely instructors from conversations right like.
Speaker 19: No, absolutely, and like TPUSA first gained popularity for its like professor watch lists where people could report their like woke liberal professors, and this is this is the core part of the TPUSA model, is attacking academics and people who work in university in this instants like cause speculation of like how much of this essay was genuine versus was this intention only bad essay to provoke this response, which we can't we can't wonder. But the student has like risen to the ranks of like a minor conservative celebrity in these in these past two weeks. Yeah, because of this incident and is doing like TPUSA, like speaking, speaking appearances, news appearances. There's been dozens of articles across right wing outlets on this. It's it's turned into a legitimate story for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do want to say, well, like it appears Garrison, I discussed this before, but it appears that this person is a grad student and not like a ten year professor adjunct, yes, certainly not tenured, right, Sure, therefore they are much more vulnerable and they have many fewer protections than a tenured professor would have. I don't know if they unionize. It depends on where they're teaching, right, But.
Speaker 19: Like University of Oklahoma, that is questionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean possibilities points to know, But like, this is a series is fucking problem for anybody teaching in these fields, right, especially graduate students. Like I say especially, I mean imagine you're a graduate student on a student visa, right, Like, how do you approach teaching this when you know that you could end up on the TPUSA Instagram.
Speaker 19: It's trying to chill speech, right, This is this is part of what they're doing. They're turning this into a free speech crusade for religious discrimination. But what this is actually doing is chilling speech at universities by making it so you can't teach certain topics, especially if you happen to be trans to yourself. Otherwise TEPA USA in the right wing media system is going to turn your life into a living nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've repeatedly seen a First Amendment cited and ref to this This has not got anything to do with the First Amendment. Like, the First Amendment doesn't give you the right to get a good grade for saying what the fuck you want? That's that's not in the First Amendment. But yeah, like Garrison said, it is chilling speech. Good news. Oklahoma University Workers United is a union sick okay, cool, and it includes grad student instructors unclear okay, hit us up o uwu and let.
Speaker 19: Us know before we close, I do want to mention another story that's happened this week, which is gonna prompt of a future episode probably next week. The online gambling platform cal She. I've never said it before. I'm saying Calsh has that a serial partnered with c Cashi. I you don't even know what you're talking about anymore. But the online gambling platform cal she is partnered with CNN and CNBC this past week to allow the news companies to use qute unquote real time prediction data for TV news segments and online content. This is not entirely surprising if people have been watching CNN like I have, like a complete maniac, because specifically this this past November and like this whole election season, news pundits on CNN have been using betting odds in place of polling data to weigh the likelihood of candidate's winning elections. This has become an increasingly common practice, specifically at CNN, and now it appears it's spreading to other news platforms like CNBC. How She announcement of the scene and partnership reads quote. CNN chief data analyst Harry Enton is an expert in translating what data and polling are saying on any given issue, and through this integration, he can tap into real time prediction markets data to better inform and fact check his reporting unquote what back checking his reporting with gambling data? Gambling odds from people who are betting on like if people are going to starve in Gaza, right, this is this is the sort of stuff that they bet on on. Caliche, not just who wins elections. Absurd, Jesus.
Speaker 1: I like that you've pronounced the day of this company several different see.
Speaker 19: I used to call it heal.
Speaker 3: This is the problem.
Speaker 19: I think it's I think it's Calshi. I think I think Calshi is correct.
Speaker 3: There's one possible benefit to this. Will it stop Nate Silva being so fucking annoying. No, it'll cause them to be more annoying games.
Speaker 19: How can you not see that this is this is a part of the nayverification of everything good and this this is what I want to talk about in the full piece. But but no, there was there was a Sena news segment in October twenty twenty five where this data analyst talked about how the odds of Democrats winning the midterms are going down via citing the Calshi odds, and then he did like three minutes of analysis using selective midterm voting data from twenty seventeen to twenty eighteen to support the movement in the gambling odds.
Speaker 3: Like that was the core piece of data. He was trying to explain, what the fuck? How big is this marketplace?
Speaker 19: Pretty big?
Speaker 3: Pretty big? Okay, so I couldn't just come in with like five hundred bucks and tip it.
Speaker 19: No, no, no, I mean it depends on what you're doing for like these sorts of big these like big races.
Speaker 22: No.
Speaker 19: But part of the real problem is is if you're just tuning in to CNN and reading the graphics, it's really hard to tell that this that these are gambling odds. Yeah, you're just seeing big percentages and they're only gonna mention that it's from quote unquote betting markets or prediction markets like once at the beginning of the segment. After that they treat the numbers like actual polling data. So it's really really manipulative. And unless you're like super paying attention to this whole segment, it'd be very easy to interpret these gambling numbers as genuine as genuine poll information. Wow, it's incredibly dangerous to democracy and uh overall kind of bad and fucked up, and it's gonna be spreading.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 19: The Calshi competitor poly Market partnered with X Everything app and Yahoo Financed earlier this year to integrate their quote unquote prediction data into content on x and Yahoo Finance.
Speaker 3: It's only going to become more and more common.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna you of a long form episode on.
Speaker 3: This, I will Yeah, this sucks. I'm just looking at this website now.
Speaker 1: It sucks. I don't like this at all.
Speaker 3: If you would like to email us, you can do so by reaching out to cool Zone tips at proton dot me.
Speaker 19: That does for us that it could happen here. We reported the news, and now you can bet on the news.
Speaker 15: We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts can now find sources for it Could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.