Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe McCormick. And today on Stuff to Blow Your Mind, we're going to be beginning a series of episodes about the personification of death, when death becomes not a process but a person or I guess more generally an entity. So, Rob, you picked out this topic, how did you end up thinking about this?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess the main answer is how could I not write because general contemplations of mortality aside, which will definitely unwrap as we proceed here, All that aside, anthropomorphic personifications of death are just everywhere in our media and culture, to the point that it almost becomes invisible until you really start looking for it. Like I was just reflecting over the movies that my family and I watched to get during the month of December, and they are like three different films that had a personification of the Grim Reaper in it, you know, to varying degrees. So two of them were of course from a Christmas Carol from Mickey's Christmas Carol, which we watched, and then also the nineteen seventy Scrooge Musical, which is also excellent. Both of those have a manifestation of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, which is a death entity. Of course, in the original story and in pretty much any adaptation you encounter often depicted as a grim reaper, a skeletal figure in a black robe.
Speaker 3: The bony hand pointing the Scrooge's grave. Yea name is on that grave.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then another one we watched was the two thousand and six TV adaptation of Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather, in which you have actual death taking over the duties of a Santa like figure named the hog Father in order to save the mortal world, in a story that I have to stress is equal parts hilarious and silly and then also legitimately thought provoking. And beyond these examples, though, it just really becomes a challenge to think of works and fandoms and sort of fan you know, mythos is that don't have at least some death personification analogue. You know, even if it's not a direct Reaper style figure, then maybe it's somebody who just looks like death, like for instance, Star Wars. Of course, you know, the Emperor or Emperor Palpatine is month after sent past cinematic depictions of death.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're just simply too many to name. We'll probably name some as we go, but yeah, you have everything from the enigmatic chess player from the Seventh Seal to just various versions of death in comic books where heshi or they range in exactly how they're depicted and you know, seriousness and some are frightful, summer sexy. We have all different sorts of rappings that we give the death entity.
Speaker 3: The one from the Seventh Seal goes a long way. I noticed even academic papers and scientific papers in the in the background section often mentioning the Seventh Seal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is the one that I'm to understand. Emperor Palpatine is like visually based.
Speaker 3: Upon and Bill and Ted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, of course, of course, Yeah, we'll have to come back to him as well. But yeah, the cessation of life is the ultimate individual dwell point in all of our futures, drawing us towards our fate and just summoning endless contemplations of it along you know, multiple lines of human culture. So again, yeah, it's hard not to think about about the personification of death, you know, even just sort of like you know, I don't know, spitballing over the years and just think, you know, encountering death in life. I've long thought of death, and I'm not the first to think of it this way, like a figure in the distance, you know. And perhaps if you're very lucky, you begin at a considerable distance from this figure, though it inevitably comes closer, and not merely in terms of the advancement of one's own life, but of course also the myriad ways we wind up experiencing death through the passage of others in the world around us, close, distant, you know, it makes no difference. It's all unavoidable, of course. And as this figure approaches, we continually make out more details, at first in its silhouette, and then as it comes closer still we make out more exact features. Features maybe we've long suspected we're there, believed to be there, or that we've been taught to expect, and perhaps new revelations as well. And I still find this to be the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this visual metaphor of death is a figure that is in the distance, but on its own closing the distance to us. Is one that I think about how well this was explored in a horror movie from a few years back.
Speaker 4: It follows, yeah, you've seen that one, Yes, absolutely, yeah, and yeah it it really does feel like that sometimes it's such a great yeah, a great a visual metaphor for it.
Speaker 2: Now, I want to advise listeners here that yes, these episodes are going to deal with the concept of death personified in human culture and what it means. So no shame if it's just not the right time for you to listen to these episodes. We're going to, of course approach the topic with the same level of respect and curiosity that we always try to use and approaching subject matter on the show. I know I can understand though if you want to skip them. In many ways, I feel like I had my fill of death in twenty twenty five, and I'm sure virtually everyone feels the same. I don't think anyone out there is thinks thinking to themselves, Man, I wish I'd experienced more death in my world, so part of me would prefer not to think about it either. But I also feel like it's helpful to chase after these concepts instead and maybe better understand them, and also you know, explore how everyone before us has thought about these concepts. So in this series, we're going to tackle the subject matter here from a number of different angles. This episode is going to deal largely with some of the overreaching classifications that they are going to be essential for our conversations moving forward.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, So we thought in part one here it might be good to focus mostly on types of death personified and to kick things off, there is one interesting distinction I started thinking about between two related but different figures that appear in a lot of different mythologies, and that is the figure that actually embodies the moment of death itself, like the grim reaper, versus the figure that we might call the psychopomp. The psychopomp coming from the Greek meaning the soul guide, the guide to the afterlife. So the grim reaper type figure appears at or right before the moment of death. It is sometimes glimpsed by the doomed as a notice of impending death. Maybe you even see it a good time before your death, but you know it's just there letting you know, like hey soon. Sometimes it is portrayed as showing up right before death and kind of calling the still living person to the realm of death, or sometimes it is imagine to actually mechanically cause death in some way, maybe by touch or by kiss or by a word. So it's there at the moment the person dies to either let them know death is coming, to call them, or to make them die.
Speaker 2: Whereas what does what does death do? In the Final Destination movies?
Speaker 3: Death settles the score In those movies, death is an accountant and notices that you are in debt and we need to come collect.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll come back to that example then for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's sort of the grim reaper type figure, whereas the psychopomp figure appears to guide or faery the soul of the dead to the afterlife. So I was thinking about an analogy. The grim reaper figure is like the bouncer who taps you on the shoulder and says, hey, it's time to leave. You know you're cut off, we're going versus the psychopomp is the cab driver who takes you home after you've been kicked out of the club. And this distinction appears across a lot of different cultures and mythologies, but of course it's not universal. Sometimes there are major death associated figures that don't exactly fit either type. Sometimes there are figures that embody both rolls simultaneously, as if you know, the bouncer tells you it's time to leave and then also gives you a ride home.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good way of putting it. I was reflecting on these two types and thinking, Okay, the grim reaper type is I guess more easily conceptualized as a hunter or a killer. You know, in one case, maybe not even a human enemy, but you know, one that hunts you and pursues you and will eventually gets you. But there's like that idea, well maybe I can outsmart it in the meantime, Yeah, maybe I can bargain with it and so forth. Whereas the psychopomp that feels much more human in nature because it is like it is it is ultimately well maybe not always, but in many cases the psychopomp is an ally. It is someone you want to find you because you've died, Yes, but now you have this journey that needs to be undertaken to reach the afterlife, and the psychopomp is going to guide you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the role of the psychopomp I think differs a lot, depending on what your particular what your particular vision of the afterlife is. So, you know, there are some more benevolent views of the afterlife where they're kind of like an you know, they're the concierge who arrives to say like, hey, everything's going to be great now we're going up to heaven versus there are more threatening or perilous journeys to the afterlife where you need a guide to get you there or you are in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and yeah. And in this case with the psychopomp, they're not judges, they're facilitators of a journey. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I thought it might be worth mentioning just a couple of examples of these types appearing in literature, and we can come back to these throughout the series. But one demonstration of a psychopomp figure that stuck out in my head is the way Hermes, the god Hermes, guides the pitiful souls of the dead suitors to Hades in the Odyssey. Do you remember the rob m Yeah, yeah, vaguely.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to read from the Richard Lattimore translation here. This is going to be in the beginning of book twenty four, and the context in the story is that Odysseus has come home finally to Ithaca, and he finds that while he's been gone, all these guys have been trying to woo his wife, Penelope. They're referred to as the suitors. And all these guys are like, hey, you know he's not coming back. Marry me instead, And so Odysseus comes back and he kills them all. He kills them all to reclaim mastery over his house. And then after the slaughter, Odysseus and Penelope go off to bed together. And later we're told what happens to the souls of the dead suitors. So here I'm gonna read from the beginning of book twenty four. Hermes of Kyline summoned the souls of the suitors to come forth, and in his hands he was holding the beautiful golden staff. This is the Cadusius, the beautiful golden staff with which he mazes the eyes of those mortals whose eyes he would maize, or wakes again the sleepers, hurting them on with this, he led them along, and they followed, gibbering, and as when bats in the depth of an awful cave, flitter and gibber when one of them has fallen out of his place in the chain that the bats have formed by holding one on another. So gibbering, they went their way together, and Hermes, the kindly healer, led them along down moldering pathways. They went along and passed the ocean stream and the White Rock, and past the gates of Helios the Sun, and the country of dreams, and presently arrived in the meadow of Asphodel. This is the dwelling place of souls, the images of dead men. Oh wow, so here Hermes. And if you read older translations, this is sometimes rendered as Mercury, but Hermes would be the accurate name of the god. Here in the great context, Hermes leads the powerless and bewildered souls of the dead into Hades, into the land of the dead, kind of like Batman with his bat summoning beacon. You know, I remember that? Is is it?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 3: Batman begins that he like presses a button on something, and it makes a big train of bats up here and swirl down on it. Except, of course, the thing that he uses to lead them is not technology. It is the magical Wand again the Cadusius, the staff and the suitors here are already dead. Their souls are being guided to the next place in their journey. And importantly, they need a guide because in this ancient Greek vision of death, the souls of the dead are not They don't go to the afterlife automatically, I think, you know, in some visions of ancient Greek afterlife they do, but here they really need a guide. And also, the souls of the dead in this ancient Greek vision of the afterlife are not elevated to a superhuman state of like demi godhood, as we often imagine the ghosts of the dead and modern media, you know, when you see like movies and stuff today, it's almost like people imagine that when someone dies they become a ghost or an angel, and they become like a god, they gain extra powers, they're semi omniscient, you know. The souls of the dead are not like that. In the vision of Homer, these souls are distinctly diminished. They're confused, frightened, and without much strength or agency of their own. And that's why they're described does gibbering like bats in a cave. They're just you know, they're they're no longer even fully human. They're just kind of like, you know, crying out in pain and astonishment, and they don't know what to do. They are like sheep in a flock, actually, and they need a shepherd with the staff to guide them or they will be lost. So that's a classic psychopomp. But by contrast, reaper type figures usually appear before death to the living, giving them a signal of impending doom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there are ultimately tons of examples we could draw from here, and the one that I'm gonna mention first is maybe not the best example because it's more death adjacent than it is supposed to be actually death. But I thought about it many times in the run up to this episode. I was also just reminded of it because the cadence in Homer kind of reminds me of the cadence of what I'm going to read here. This is, of course, just one tiny bit from the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and it goes as follows, like one that on a lonesome road doth walk in fear and dread, and having once turned round, walks on and turns no more his head because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.
Speaker 3: So in fact, here you don't even see it. You just know it's there again, it's closing the distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's this idea again. This is maybe not death, this death adjacent Jason, a contemplation of fear. We don't know, or at least I assume, we don't know whether the teller here actually sees anything behind him in this example, or he just feels that it is there. And then feeling that is there, there's a certainty that they are pursued, that they're hunted, and that it will eventually catch up with them, and so what can they do but just continue on in the state of anxious dread. Now, there are a couple of more fun examples of a clear grim Reaper character that you can find in the writings of the Brothers. Grim Death's Messengers is one that's pretty fun and ultimately has a punchline. One of the things about the grim Reaper or any personification of death, as I'll probably mention again, whenever there's a joke, generally you are the punchline. That's just how Death's humor goes. And that's pretty much what happens here. But in Death's Messengers, a fun little story in which Death gets caught up in a fight with a giant, like essentially the Grim Reaper ends up fighting a giant and gets whooped by the giant. Usually we think of personifications of death being pretty powerful when it comes to mortals, and maybe even like semi immortal characters. But here the giant just whips Death leaves them, you know, laying next to a stone on the side of the road or whatever. And then a young man comes across Death, doesn't know that he's Death, and says like, oh, here's a guy who needs my help. I'll help him out. And we also come to understand that this is necessary because if the longer Death is out of action, the more Death cannot do his thing. People are not going to die, the world's going to become overrun, and so forth. Oh no, so, But the young man knows nothing of this. He just helps him up, and then Death asks the young man if he knows who he is. The young man says, nope, no idea, just trying to do a good deed, and Death says, I am Death. I spare no one, nor can make an exception with you, however, so you may see that I am grateful. I promise you that I will not attack you without warning, but instead I will send my messagers to you before I come and take you away. And then the twist is that after various bouts of illness, death does come for the man, and he initially is like, whoaa, whoa hold on? You promised me that you would send messengers first. You wouldn't just come and swoop me up. I would have some warning, and Death informs him, yes, I did send you messengers, and he gives a list of all these ailments that the man had suffered. He's like, those were my messengers, and then the story ends with the man did not know how to answer, so he surrendered to his fate and went away with Death got him. Yeah. And there's another tale, Godfather Death, which involves Death being named as the godfather of a child who then grows up to become a famous physician because his godfather Death shows him a special healing herb that grows in the forest and also gives him this ability to see where death stands in relation to an ill person. So if he sees death at the head of the bed, of the sick person is a bond, then he knows that that individual can be cured with the magic herb. If death stands at the foot of the bed, well, then no cure is possible. Might as well pack it up. But then the physician ends up exploiting this trick by turning the bed around. And this works, you know, once or twice, but he runs a foul of death in the process.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I thought that would be a good lesson about correlation and causation.
Speaker 2: But in both tales, death is mostly an executioner of a decree. You know, He's there's a bit of the psycho pomp there as well. In the first tale, death says upon finding the main character again, he initially says, follow me. The hour of your departure from this world has come. So, you know, I guess we can tales like this. We can kind of get into the details of like, Okay, is he does he do something? Does he actually have a scythe? And is he going to swing that scythe and like sever something like sever you from the mortal world? Is there a thread that needs to be cut? Is there a soul that needs to be like ripped out of the body Mortal Kombat style or is it more of like, hey, I'm here, come with me. Get in, dummy, We're off to the afterlife.
Speaker 3: Well, rob, if you are ready, I was going to talk about a few ideas about the archetypes of death from studies in psychology from beginning in like the nineteen sixties and seventies and coming up until recent years. Do you want to jump into that, Let's do it. So there's one concept I think we should start with before we talk about anything else about archetypes of death in psychology, because lots of psychology studies about the personification of death refer back to the same foundational text, and that text is a book from nineteen seventy two called The Psychology of Death by Robert Castenbaum and Ruth Aisenberg. This was a very important work in the academic study of how we think and feel about death. But the idea that gets repeated the most from it is this idea of the four archetypes of death. So Castenbaum and Aisenberg set out to investigate how Americans think about death when they imagine it as a person or an entity, and they use the following prompt in their initial sort of open ended question and answer sessions. So they said, if death were a person, what sort of a person would death be? Think of this question until an image of death as a human being forms in your mind. Then describe death physically, what death would look like? Now, what would death be like? What kind of personality would death have? And after comparing a whole bunch of answers, And then after they did the initial research with like open ended queries, they started doing kind of consolidating these into categories and asking people multiple choice questions. And the authors end up arguing that most Americans' ideas about death fell into one of four general categories, which they called the macabre, the gentle comforter, the gay deceiver, and the automaton. So to briefly summarize these archetypes, I'm going to draw from an updated edition of The Psychology of Death published by Castenbaum in the year two thousand. So the first one is the macab. Castenbaum writes quote, the macab was characterized as a powerful, overwhelming, and repulsive figure. The image often was of an emaciated or decaying human, or of a monster with only faint resemblance to human form. So a few characteristics of the Macab. In terms of age and gender. When human in form, the Macab was most often imagined as a hideous old man. In terms of personality, the Macab is either callous and unfeeling or actively sadistic, wanting to hurt you. People. I thought this was interesting. They reported feeling emotionally close to the Macab figure, but in a threatening way, not a good emotional closeness, like you know this this thing knows me, and it wants to hurt me.
Speaker 2: It is a personal enemy.
Speaker 3: Yes, And Castenbaum notes the irony that this death figure, the most frightening of the four types, is the one most often portrayed as a victim of death itself, being either already dead like a skeleton, or in a partially decayed state, you know, having been consumed or partially consumed by the force which it symbolizes. Which that's kind of interesting, Like the scariest image of the thing is also a victim of the thing.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I want this is kind of I mean, this almost feels like an outrageous overstatement of the obvious by virtue of how it is echoed through, especially like fantasy media, like I instantly think of Warhammer forty thousand, where you have like the gods of chaos and the God of decay. Of course he and all his cronies look like gross zombie creatures. Yeah, the blood God, you know, he looks, you know, it's everything's bloody and violent and snarling looking and so forth. You know, So we almost take it for granted that the embodiment of the thing would look like victims of the thing. But yeah, when you really stop and ask, well, why would that be, And it's not certainly not always the case in you know, human myth making, fantasy and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially since this is the version of death that is an inflictor more so than certainly more so than the next type we'll talk about. So, the second main archetype is the gentle comforter. That's what they call this one. In Castenbaum's words quote imbued with the theme of soothing welcome, the gentle comforter is quiet, kindly, you know, it's all right, you're coming home. Unlike the macabre, which was most often a frightening old man, the gentle comforter seems to be of any a your gender, though usually an adult and not a child. The comforter is All of the categories are more often male than female, and that's true of the Comforter as well, but the male bias is much smaller in the Comforter category than in the macab It's more mixed with gender representations. A commonly reported image is that of Father Time, a soft spoken, grandfatherly figure with a beard who eases your fears. Some people even There are some reports that Castembaum includes where people identify identify that the comforter figure with like biblical figures you know, I don't know, you know, like Abraham or something you're imagining, like a bearded figure from the Bible welcoming you.
Speaker 2: Or Gandolf you know, Oh yeah sure.
Speaker 3: And as with the macabre, people felt emotionally close to the gentle comforter, but obviously without the threatening tones. It's the opposite here. Both of these figures know me well, but the macabre brings a personalized curse and the comforter brings a personal blessing. One woman in the research said quote, his voice would be of an alluring nature, and although kind, would hold the tone of the mysterious. Therefore, in general he would be kind and understanding yet be very firm and sure of his actions and attitudes. This passage, for some reason, really hits something kind of like it touched a deep intuition that I thought was mysterious and interesting. So the figure is friendly and soothing, but also firm and mysterious, like it's not going to be persuaded and you don't understand it.
Speaker 2: M yeah, yeah, the deep mystery of the incarnation. Yeah. This, and of course all four of these types we're going to come back to again and again in subsequent episodes as well. Of course, how can you not like the the gentle comforter, the good cop, the bad cop good cop scenario that we've looked at thus far. I mean, this is clearly the one you want, and you know so it should come as no surprise that poetic incarnations of this are also very attractive. There is one, in particular in the poem when Lilac's last in the dooryard bloomed by Walt Whitman, And I want to read a couple of lines from that here, because I found this quite enchanting. Dark mother, always gliding near with soft feet, have none chanted for thee a chant of fullest welcome. Then I chanted for THEE. I glorify THEE above all. I bring THEE a song that, when thou must indeed come, come unfalteringly approach strong deliveries. When it is so, when thou hast taken them, I joyously sing the dead lost in the loving, floating ocean of THEE, laved in the flood of thy bliss o death. That's great. That's that's how everyone would want it to.
Speaker 3: Be, I think, certainly most. And it turns out that the gentle comforter image is the most common across all types, so it's the one people imagine the most often.
Speaker 2: Though, of course, as we're going to continue to get into here, it's not like you really necessarily get to choose, like various ideas are you were exposed to via your culture, via media, and then it's going to be also informed by how you feel about death as a personal concept, as a larger concept in the world, and so forth right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the next category is what they call the gay deceiver. And note that gay here doesn't have anything to do with sexual orientation. This is the older usage meaning like jolly you're happy, So, as the name implies, this is a jolly trickster somebody who embodies tempt Haitian seduction, danger, I think fun, and fatal irony. This figure is usually depicted as an attractive, elegant, and sophisticated middle aged adult or young adult of any sex, most often actually described as just a few years older than the person doing the imagining, and usually but not always, the opposite sex of the person imagining. So the deceiver here, they tempt their victim with pleasures, with excitement, pleasure, and adventure. And from a lot of the descriptions I'm reading here, I get notes of what'st thou like a taste of butter, So the trickster. One key thing about this figure is that people think of it as something that is first seen one way and then revealed to be another way. So you think of it first as one type of being, but then later there's an iron You find out who they really are only once it's too late, usually after your death is sealed. And so this death archetype shares a lot in common actually with literary depictions of the Christian devil, you know, glamorous, powerful, irresistible, and dangerous when imagined as a man. Some respondents mention a goateee and a dark suit, very devil imagery when imagined as a woman often thought to be tall and beautiful with long dark hair and Castenbaum says interestingly that this archetype often involves elements both of ego ideal meaning an idealized version of the self, but also of scammer or con artist. And obviously you can see how this version of death as a tempter and as a deceiver taps into ideas you find in Christian morality plays about how temptations to the pleasures of the flow, temptations to adventure and lust and greed will ultimately lead to one's destruction.
Speaker 2: I'm reminded that this variation of death and its feminine form was often invoked on wartime anti std propaganda. Yes, where you know, there'd be some depiction of the alluring feminine form. Yeah, but there would be a skull face, you know, that sort of thing, or the mass slips away and it's a skull there. A skull is somehow revealed in the scenario, that sort of thing, and of course that ties into you know, the whole subject of the monstrous feminine is depicted as well the.
Speaker 3: Other way around. I think of a softer version of the deceiver here as the death in Emily Dickinson's because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me where. You know, it's subtle in the poem, but I think he is depicted as kind of like a handsome suitor there, like he's coming to show you a good time, but we all know where it's going to end up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, coming back to the fun of the scenario, the joke. Even I am reminded that if death is telling a joke, you're probably the punchline. So I guess that's that's one of the that seems to be one of the take comes here, is that the fun being had is not necessarily yours or a fun has had. Maybe it is in the short term, but not in the long Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the setup. And then the punchline is dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And so those are the first three categories. You got the macabre, the comforter, the deceiver, and then finally what Castenbaum and Aisenberg called the automaton. Castenbaum writes, quote, the automaton may be a class in a class by itself. The image of death as an objective, unfeeling instrument in human guys, The automaton looks like a normal person but lacks human qualities. Unlike other personifications, he usually a male, does not establish a huge human relationship of any kind. So, unlike the first two categories, which both of which were understood to be emotionally close to the dying person, the automaton is not understood as emotionally close at all. Quite the opposite caston Maulmin goes on. He advances with neither diabolical pleasure nor gentle compassion, but as an automatic, soulless apparatus.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, unlike the macabre, which is emotionally close and threatening, unlike the comforter, who is emotionally close and soothing, the automaton does not have any identification with the dying person at all. At the automaton acts at a remove. He does not have a meaningful relationship with you. He does not have feelings about what is happening.
Speaker 2: He can't be stopped, he can't be bargained with. Yeah. Yeah, so he's the terminator. But he's also kind of a bureaucrat, right, or like a civil officer. Yeah, you know, this is not personal, This is just the job. Take no pleasure in it, but it also doesn't really bother.
Speaker 3: Me facilitating an unstoppable process. Yeah. So a few general findings from cast Enbaum and Aisenberg. I think I already mentioned this, but of the four types in their original research, the gentle comforter was the most common. They say, across all categories, death is more often imagined as male than female. All four categories show male bias, but the male bias is strongest in the macabre and the automaton. Those are the most often thought of as male. The comforter is still male biased, but more mixed. The deceiver is mixed, often the opposite sex of the dying person. And then this is interesting, weird little detail. Castenbaum says, quote for what it might be worth, funeral directors and students of mortuary sciences, where the subsamples with by far the highest personage of no personifications encountering some type of inner resistance to a task most others did not find very difficult. So you know, you ask people to sit down imagine death as a person. Most people can play this game. They can play along and say, yeah, here's what I think they would be like. For some reason, people in these professional classes, you know, professional training or professional services around death. They just resisted this task. They were more likely to say, I can't come up with the personification. I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating, you know, like, what does it say about proximity to the physical realities of death in the you know, in the generation or contemplation of these concepts, because we obviously put a lot of energy into distancing ourselves from the sort of experience of physical death that mortuary professionals and in various other professionals experience. So I wonder, like, do we on some level tend mystified death and the departed in removing ourselves from that physical reality? And granted, you know, we have to acknowledge that in much of the modern world we are able to remove ourselves from that physical reality of death and dying in ways that people in different times and even in different places cannot do. So it's you run into the problem of being too universal across time and space with this sort of pondering. But I mean, I mean, it's there in the finding though. You know, the question is anyway you know that these people who's day in, day out is dealing with the reality of death and the physical reality of death find it much harder to say, oh, yeah, here's a sketch of what death looks like. This is the personification of this individual entity that carries this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as you, I think we're just alluding to it is really worth noting that these archetypes are not proposed to be either culturally unif versal nor necessarily stable across time. I think a key finding in death psychology is that the personification of death, while it might possess a few characteristics that are kind of common across culture and time, is mostly pretty variable and is going to be informed by shifting changes in how the culture portrays and processes death, and also by just more obscure factors. In a lot of cases, is going to be hard to understand why people at a certain time and place think about death the way they do. It's just a lot of cultural input on that. Anyway, I wanted to mention a few more things from Castenbaum's book here, so Castendam cites the work of a different researcher named Richard Linnetto in nineteen eighty two, who compared personifications of death to levels of death anxiety thought this was interesting, and Linetto found that the people with the highest levels of anxiety about death were tended to be among women who personified death as a woman. That's interesting, I don't know why. Meanwhile, men who imagined death as a man were the most afraid of thinking about the following things, the sight of a dead body, the prospect of another world war, and the shortness of human life. With all of these correlations I just mentioned, it's hard to know if there's really any significance, but interesting. Linetto also found that people who were most focused on the shortness of human life and the quick passage of time were the least likely to picture a gentle comforter and the most likely to picture the macabre, you know, the grim, horrifying vision of death. I thought that was interesting because while I personally I don't usually think about death as a as a personified figure much. I I found this personally relevant because I so often find my life defined by time anxiety. I mean, it's like, I feel like it's the main struggle in my life is just always thinking about there not being enough time to do the things I need to do. And yeah, I wonder if that that makes me especially prone to thinking of death as a monster.
Speaker 2: Huh. Yeah, this is fascinating to think about. No one ever came up to me and asked me to draw a picture of what I think death looks like. And and I don't think I ever really gay. I get I'm you know, morbid enough that I've always been fascinated by depictions of death and you know, visual and you know, in literature and film and and in various mythological treatments. But you know, it wasn't until recently that I really created I think we're created or chose or you know, had it thrust upon me, that there would be like more or less a concrete idea of what it is is, you know, I would say that I yeah, I felt, I felt, I felt a fair amount of time anxiety of late as well. You know, the shortness of human life and the threat of greater wars are also both things that weigh on me all the time, you know, much like the people in this of the study. But you know, yeah, I wouldn't say that I ever strongly associated the idea of death with the personification. I'd say maybe growing up, you know, in in in a Protestant church environment, and being exposed to various you know, works from you know, from from the Western catalog of art, you would, you know, you'd see images of like an Angel of Death, you know, be they classical or something more recent. And so I think I had maybe a vision of that in my mind, like maybe a vision that maybe maybe leans slightly more masculine and kind of wavered between automaton and gentle comforter, and more recently I think I've gravitated towards more of a gentle comforter, but maybe at times with a little bit of the gay deceiver thrown in there as well. So I think maybe more feminine in my mind now, maybe more comforting, but also like sometimes wondering if there's a bit of a sly smile there, you know, that there's a joke at play, and again with all death jokes, you're the punchline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, I like the idea that a comforter could still have a sense of irony or a sense of humor about what's happening, even if it's at my expense.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, that's one of the great things about Pratchett's death in the Discworld books is that he has a very dry humor about everything. So yeah, I don't know, of course, do you want that kind of personal service if death were to come calling. I'm not sure, but it can be pretty amusing in our literature.
Speaker 3: But I find myself often really put at ease if a person who I do understand is genuinely sympathetic can still make a joke at the expense of my suffering.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's also worth reminding ourselves in all of this that, I mean, we're all capable of holding multiple, even contradictory ideas about reality and unreality, and of course our views on such big concepts as death can also shift over time, so you know, there doesn't necessarily need to be you know, one version of death. If you were to personify it and draw it down on a piece of paper, death might look a little different if you're setting in your study, or if you were, you know, waiting in in the waiting room at a hospice. You know there's going to be perhaps different mindsets in play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally Also worth noting that Linetto as well as other researchers, have generally found that the more quote favorable personifications of death, and I think this would mainly be the gentle comforter are associated with lower levels of death anxiety. But in interessting question is which way does the causality run there? So does imagining death as a comforter make you less afraid of death? Or does being less afraid of death make you imagine a comforter. Another variation is that Linetto found that the deceiver archetype was not associated with lower death anxiety, even though this archetype is attractive and seductive. So you might think at one level favorable. I think there's just like people have enough cognitive aw awareness of like the danger and irony wrapped up in this personification to maybe treat it more like they treat the other less favorable forms. So one more thing we've alluded to several times, how these trends in death personification can change over time. They're clearly not just like fixed in the human animal. You know, they're culturally variable and they change. So in the two thousand an edition of the book, Castenbaum mentions that he did some research with colleagues in the late nineteen nineties to see if anything had changed about how people personified death since his original work in the sixties and seventies, and this is Castenbaum and Hermann nineteen ninety seven if you want to look up the paper. But the main changes he identify have to do with gender breakdown in personification. He says that by the time of nineteen ninety seven, there had, for some reason been a sharp increase in the number of women who personify death as a woman. So there's there's still, you know, a male bias in how people represent death in their minds, but more women personified death as a woman by the late nineties. Also, there were some changes in the type of personality attributed to death. The gentle comforter is still the most common type of death figure imagined by women and the most common overall, but there was a significant decrease in the percentage of men who imagined a comforter. By nineteen ninety seven, men had come more often to see death as a cold and remote person, the automaton, or as grim and terrifying the macabre. The author is also found that the average age of death personified had decreased. That's kind of interesting, So, you know, we used to be more likely on average to picture death as a person of advanced age. The average age people imagine has gone down.
Speaker 2: Okay, so death has gotten younger and younger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting trends. Kind of hard to even speculate about what might account for some of these changes, but obviously, you know, so many factors feeding into our imaginative tendencies here. I think it would be kind of hopeless to just like pick one cultural change and say that's what caused it. But despite variability across time and culture, do think these categories are useful to talk about because, for one thing, it seems they remain very relevant, at least within an American cultural context, and they give us a scaffolding to talk about other findings in death personification. So with that in the background, Rob, if you're cool with it, I wanted to run through a couple of twenty first century research papers I turned up which I thought were intriguing. Let's do it, Okay, So the first one is I dug up a paper from two thousand and eight by Jonathan Bassett, Polly McCann, and Kelly Kate, published in a journal called Omega Journal of Death and Dying. The paper was called Personifications of Personal and Typical Death as related to Death Attitudes. So This was a simple imagination exercise done with a relatively small group of university students, so this is not like a hugely powerful study. I wouldn't place a ton of weight on the results, but what they found was interesting to me because it was counterintuitive. So to read from their description of their research here, quote, ninety eight students enrolled in psychology classes were randomly assigned to personified death as a character in a movie, depicting either their own deathbed scene or the deathbed scene of the typical person. And then after this, the students completed an updated version of a standard inventory called the Death Attitude Profile. So this idea of comparing personifications of one's own death versus death in general or the deaths of others is interesting because obviously death is a highly emotional and frightening subject for lots of people, and I think there's a good chance that variations in how we think about it would depend on the question is it my own death we're talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For example, you might guess that on average, people imagine a more frightening or unsettling type of entity representing their own death than they do representing the deaths of others, because Obviously, people tend to be more afraid of their own death, but interestingly, that is not what the researchers found in this experiment. So the authors did not use exactly the same four categories as Casten, Bauman Aisenberg. Instead, they used a system that was like sort of three for four the same. So you had the option to imagine death as a cold or remote sort of person, a gentle, well meaning type of person that's sort of the comforter, a grim terrifying type of person that's sort of the macabre, and then a robot like person. So it seems like we've split the automaton category into these options of a cold or remote person and a robot like person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've kind of ejected the trickster from the scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think in general I hesitate to say this because I didn't fully check this, but my impression from reading summaries of the older research is that the deceiver or trickster archetype was the least common of the four, but you know, did still show up as a common strain, so it was worth exploring. So they said that in their sample, relatively few people chose the grim terrifying image or the robot like image. The most popular were the cold, remote sort of person and the gentle, well meaning sort of person. And in fact, something kind of the opposite of what I just hypothesized off the cuff a minute ago is what they found. When asked to imagine another person's death, subjects were relatively more likely to picture the cold, remote figure. When asked to imagine their own death, they were relatively more likely to imagine the gentle comforter. Huh, and the author is refer to previous work by a researcher named Tomer. Writing in their conclusion quote. These findings seem to support Tomer's position that it is easier to face death with stoic resignation when thinking about the inevitability of other people's death as part of the natural order of things than when contemplating one's own mortality.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that absolutely tracks right, Yeah, yeah, totally yeah, yeah, someone else must die. Well, it's the cycle of life. I must die. Hold on a minute, I need a bargain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it flips the script of just how I imagine what the death personification is doing? Does this make sense?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: H the way I might interpret this experiment assuming Again, you know, this was a relatively small study, so assuming this kind of thing holds up broadly, I would interpret this as finding support for the idea that the way we picture death as a person often says more about what we need than about what we fear.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And obviously both pathways can manifest you know, fear is clearly there sometimes, Like for example, I would assume most people who imagine the grim, terrifying, macabre figure are doing so as a manifestation of fear unresolved fears of some kind, rather than as a coping strategy. Thinking about the skeleton with the side is probably not like helping you feel better about death in some way. I mean, it might be you could imagine some ways a person might need to think of a threatened, threatening, terrifying figure, like, oh, I don't know, maybe if like the person feels they need to be punished in some way. But I would think this is a relatively rare way it works.
Speaker 2: Or they know deep down that they are a terrible boss and they've been bad at Christmas their whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, but the image of the gentle comforter obviously does serve a psychological need. It makes death less frightening, to give it a body, and to imagine that body as belonging to a kind, wisely helper who delivers you from pain. So if the comforter comes to mind more naturally when we think of our own death versus when we think of the deaths of others, that makes me think that the base level function of the personification of death might be more as a psychological defense mechanism that provides us comfort and puts our fears to rest, rather than doing something else. And I really want to emphasize I mean, when you approach it that way, that sounds kind of obvious, but I would say it doesn't have to be this way. I would not say that providing comfort is the default reason we conjure visionary or imaginary figures in our mind. For example, I think if there is a default assumption about the evolutionary reason we imagine monsters, it is probably specifically to amplify fears so that we act more defensively and take vigorous steps to avoid danger. Like the imagination I think usually works to make your fears of the unseen and the unknown more vivid, more powerful and motivating, so as to you know to guide you away from danger. It's not supposed to make you feel like death is going to be okay, but when at least, you know, modern Americans in these experiments think about the abstract idea of their own future death as opposed to the deaths of others, the imagination does the opposite. It soothes, it provides comfort, It says it's going to be okay, and you know, you could It would be really interesting if you could like compare this to you know, ancient history or something like. I wonder if this is a historically contingent fact based on the expectation that it's now normal in industrialized societies to live to old age and die from one of a handful of chronic diseases, as opposed to there being like a high likelihood that you die an unexpected sudden death at an early age from unexpected you know, from contagious disease or violence.
Speaker 2: Hmmm hmm. Yeah, that'll be that maybe a question we'll have to carry with us into the next few episodes. Yeah, oh, if not through life itself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, just wanted to flag this is not particularly relevant to the studying question, but in the background section of this one, the authors flag a nineteen ninety six paper in the journal Death Studies by Mara E. Tam which it surveyed a sample of Swedish healthcare workers to figure out if there were any other common time and place associations with the personified figure of death, and Tam found that death was most often pictured as a man, consistent theme wearing dark clothing, associated with rural areas, the season of autumn, and the evening time. So I'm thinking, wow, death is it's going trick or treating?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, kind of an old timey Halloween figure. I don't know. I mean, we also associate autumn with things going away, so it makes sense. Yeah, yeah, but autumn is also kind of comfy as opposed to, like, like a cold the idea of like a cold winter death, I guess a cold winter reaper.
Speaker 3: Well, so what do you think about this idea that, as opposed to other imaginative impulses we have, which might be more often to amplify fears and cause us to act defensively, that for some reason, imagination, when applied to the concept of death, causes us to do the opposite. It conjures up comforting images that make it feel like it's going to be. Okay. That does seem kind of an interesting difference, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a coping method, perhaps because I mean there are no guarantees on any of this, right, yeah. But it's like when you if you pick up a copy of the album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, like which which deathbed do you pick for yourself? And you know you instantly are gonna you may, I don't know, depending on your worldview, you may flip over to the back and say, well, the peaceful one, that's that's mine, Maybe not so much the the hellish one on the front, the debauchery. But you know, unless unless that's more your thing.
Speaker 3: Did I ever tell you about how so? My you know, three year old likes Black Sabbath and she used to ask to listen to that album by calling it the bedtime record, bedtime record that's got a guy in bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is, it's bed time. Do you keep it? Which side do you keep displayed out? There's like an album that you have out and you have like one side facing.
Speaker 3: It's usually on the shelf. Well sometimes when it would be I don't know, you'd see it both ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the beauty of the album design. Right to back up to something we were talking about earlier. We're talking about the Deceiver or the gay deceiver, and I was kind of there was something like there was a there was an itch that I couldn't quite scratch us, like this is reminding me of something in particular, and it brings to mind the love song of Jay Alfred Proofrock or one line from it from T. S. Eliot, and that is, of course I have seen the Eternal Footman hold my coat and snicker and short, I was afraid the Eternal Footman is of course death. And I've got back on that line before, like why is why is death snickering? What does he why does he find this funny? Like it's clearly at my expense against again I am the punchline. Yeah, So I thought back to that line.
Speaker 3: I mean, he watched you try to eat that peach, and he knows what's coming while you're eating peaches and you're not even thinking about it.
Speaker 2: There's some other underlying psychological issues going on clearly with mister Proufrock.
Speaker 3: So one last study I wanted to mention before we wrap things up for part one here was published in the same journal as the last one. This is the journal Omega Journal of Death and Dying. This paper was by a psychologist named Young Gen Kong who is affiliated with New Mexico State University, and it's called Personification of Death. What types of death are personified by macab gentle, comforter, gay, deceiver, and automaton. This was twenty twenty one. The core idea in this paper is a further exploration of Castenbaum and Aisenberg's for archetypes, but asking the question what specific aspects of the death of the death experience can be attributed to each of these four personifications. In other words, do specific types of death and circumstances of death make us think of different death figures? And a few interesting trends and results. Cong says that people were most likely to imagine the macabre figure when thinking about murder, which occurs outside the home. That's kind of not surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense again thinking back to the hunter, the killer, it is one that pursues us and singles us out.
Speaker 3: The comforter was most associated with peaceful death in old age taking place at home. Again, not very surprising there, But I thought the next two were a little more interesting. The deceiver, the gay deceiver was most associated with death by heart attack. Wow uh, whereas the automaton was most associated with death from cancer occurring in a hospital. And so a few things about this. I was thinking about the deceiver, the association between the deceiver and the heart attack. I can't you know the reason obviously why people would have this association, But I wonder if this has anything to do with the idea that people think of a heart attack as a surprise. It is something that happens suddenly and without warning. It's like a trick on you, but also something that is thought to be associated with lifestyle and life history. Like I'm not saying this is the right way to conceptualize cardiovascular health, but people do think about it this way. Like you were tempted by a lifetime of pleasures from you know, Scotch and methamphetamine and French fries, and then the devil sneaks up, yeah and stabs you in the back. It's like, you did those things, they were fun, and now the heart attack is coming.
Speaker 2: What a cruel trick you played on me? That thought those were good for me? Yeah, yeah, I guess. So it really feels like, this is a category that would at least historically be more easily associated with something like siff less, you know, in in previous centuries obviously, you know, or some other you know, sexually transmitted ailment that might have a lot of morality issues attached to it, that sort of thing. And I likewise, I was a little surprised by the automaton. I mean, on one level, not like you know, when when deaths from cancer occur in a hospital environment, you know, it's there is that sense of like this is very procedural, and things have are being done, and there's kind of like a back and forth and we know where it is going and then we reach eventually reached that place. But at the same time, I mean, cancer often does feel like a cruel, cosmic joke, and I don't know, it seems like that would be more the deceivers doing. But you know, they could also be me slightly misunderstanding the classifications here.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say with the automaton, it is interesting, you know, the idea of death in a hospital some that takes place in a medicalized context. It involves technology. There are stages and steps of what is happening that people might feel are better understood by the dissociated professionals around them than by the person to whom this death means the most, the person themselves and to their family members. Does that make sense? Yeah, yeah, yeah, people who this matters less to have a better understanding of what's going on because they've seen this process a million times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I could imagine too, We're coming back to what we were talking about earlier with proximity to death and the idea that funeral directors and people in the mortuary industry may be less inclined to personify death in general. You could imagine that, like this is a place where, you know, death is very close and people deal with it every day, and yeah, there is maybe like an increased awareness of what it is and you know, and where we stand in really to it. So maybe it does demystify it and to to a point anyway, So maybe it doesn't completely erase the figure, Like there a silhouette remains, but it is this automaton silhouette and it's not it's not personal. It is just it's destiny. Yeah. Another way I was thinking about the trickster idea though, is the deceiver? Is that all you really need is just an idea that it's kind of your fault. You know that you were you know that you were tricked or you tricked yourself into doing it. And you know, I was thinking about this the other day because I was let's see, I was listening to an interview with longevity researcher and Blue Zone proponent Dan Butner, who is not talking specifically about this example, but it was talking in general about modern fitness and diet regimes that you know, often to some degree or another, sort of promising you some sort of mortification against death and some shot at a longer life. And you know, most of these are not going to you know, especially when they're attached to some sort of a fad, you know that they're not really going to make a huge difference in the long run, you know, or at least Butner would argue that there are these other other aspects that are far more important that are related to you know, broader diet and broader exercise and so forth. But anyway, there's no shortage of people that are willing to say this is your shot. You can buy this product, you can you can buy this lifestyle, and this is what you need, and there's kind of like implied, and if you don't, well it's kind of on you. You've kind of you know, So that's the trick. I don't know, that's that was one thing I was thinking about in regards to this.
Speaker 3: At any rate, I think I see what you're saying, that we live in an environment of false assurances, where people are being given the idea that they you don't have to die, you know, you can like nobody really almost nobody thinks exactly that, But you're allowed to perpetuate an illusion, a little illusion where you can feel like, you know, somehow I can escape it, somehow, it's not going to happen to me. I can just keep it, you know, I can keep it at bay if I take the right supplements or do whatever. You know, it's just it's not going to happen to me, and it is, you know. So that's the trick in a way. We're given all these these false assurances.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Though also I want to be clear, I'm not saying like there's nothing you can do to affect when it happens. I mean, obviously, you know, there are there's pretty good evidence for some types of you know, effects of certain lifestyles on longevity. Nothing is you know, nothing's going to work all the time, but you can change your your odds or you know, on average with the and and the weird thing about this is, you know, from what I can tell, like all the stuff that looks like it's the really good secret trick that only the people really in the know know about that never turns out to be real. You know, it's it's the boring stuff you've already heard in all like diet and exercise and stuff.
Speaker 2: Not having the methamphetamine in the French fries. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And not to sound like every like self help source out there, I'm sure, but yeah, you're going to die at some point, but you're in the meantime you are going to live. Yeah. That might be a short amount of time, it might be a long amount of time, but you will be living during that time. And that's something. Yeah. All right, Well, I think we're going to go ahead and close up this episode, but we will be back because there's a lot more to discover to discuss. We've I think we've we've presented an excellent scaffold on which to build out the rest of our conversations. We're going to get we're certainly going to get more into gender and death personifications. I have some interesting sources on that. We're going to look at.
Speaker 3: Really interesting stuff about that in art history hmm.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah. And you can even follow that trend into and get into modern media, like you know, where does a male death show up, what does a female death show up? And so forth, So it'll be fun to get into that, and we'll also of course draw on various other cultural traditions regarding the personification of death. So we hope you will join us for those discussions in the upcoming episodes. In the meantime, we'd love to hear from everyone out there if you have thoughts on anything we've discussed here, Certainly, even if it's just maybe you had never thought about what death personified would be and how you picture it. If you want to go through that experiment with us, write in and tell us what death looks like. Maybe we can share these in a future Listener Male episode.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any others, or to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.