Speaker 1: Are you leaving a you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and they turn and on and gay, we want to send you off inside.
Speaker 2: Do you wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it?
Speaker 2: We scared her?
Speaker 3: Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need ride?
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgaroff.
Speaker 4: I've been saying kill Griff, No you haven't. No, I know. We're joined by my friend Shane Moss.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Of course, thanks for coming and being an official guest.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh are there unofficial guests?
Speaker 4: Yes. Every once in a while there's just people roaming around the hallways.
Speaker 2: We have to.
Speaker 4: Drift your people.
Speaker 2: We feel obligated, right social contract, Yeah, as duty to your community, our podcast community.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's mostly podcast people wandering around.
Speaker 3: Oh not just like janitors and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And they're like, I thought I was scheduled today and it's like, no, do you want to be our guest? Let's really so, it's not that charitable.
Speaker 2: No, it's very selfish, very selfish.
Speaker 4: It's perfect timing.
Speaker 5: How have you been, I've been wonderful. I've been I've been busy. I'm planning my sixty five city tour, which is quite undertaking.
Speaker 2: Name them all right now, yes, But.
Speaker 5: It starts and I could it would take a long time to do and I'd have to pull it up. But it starts in Arizona, and then I go straight through the south to the east coast, and then up the east coast and then straight through the north to the west coast. And then we decided it was going to be like forty cities originally, and then we decided to attack on all the Midwest, and I'm going to end well, and then I was going to end and I'm from Wisconsin originally and there for Christmas, and we decided to attack on some January stuff too, because it just keeps on. The show's been well received, and then the booking of the tour has been easier than we thought.
Speaker 4: So if you're in Wisconsin and you start in Arizona, you are doing alphabetically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, that's smart.
Speaker 5: Some of those flights I'm driving, I'm driving the whole thing. It's going to be like three hours of driving every day. I have a show almost every day. I have a couple of days off here and there. I have I have a few days off after the first week. I have a few days off around Halloween, a few days off for Thanksgiving long Christmas break. But other than that, it's going to be every other or every single day driving.
Speaker 4: For ever done have you done tours like that where.
Speaker 5: I've done like fifteen or twenty cities with this. I mean, I'm a club comic usually. And then this show that I have about psychedelics called a Good Trip all sorts of fun plugs I'm sneaking in.
Speaker 6: Is.
Speaker 5: I started it as like my I told my agent I had all this material in years down the line, I wanted to put together a show about this, and she's like, you should do it now, just try I'll line up a couple of indie venues. And we tried it and went went okay, and then and worked on the marketing of it, and then it was just like, oh, this will be a nice little thing I can do on like a Wednesday before the club or something, just attack an extra day on. And then that show started becoming more successful and I was sometimes making more money on one Wednesday night than a week at a club, and uh, and so we decided to put this tour together.
Speaker 4: It's how Larry the Cable Guy got started. He was just doing a character, yeah, this redneck character. And then people are like, we like Larry. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like to compare myself to Larry the Cable Guy as much as I possibly can.
Speaker 2: But the difference is you have sleeves, and I think that is key. Yeah, yeah, and it's important.
Speaker 5: He's a pretty clutch. I actually just I just watched I just watched the Jeff. I didn't watch it all the way through, but the Jeff Foxworthy Larry the Cables.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called we've been thinking yes, and so they have not. They haven't been thinking not full thoughts. No, they have premises and they're like they made a deal with Netflix where they just talk about these premises and sit in a chair.
Speaker 3: And they're not like they are pretty well worn premises.
Speaker 5: It's like practology exam and like my wife is crazy and.
Speaker 4: It's a real bad comedy special.
Speaker 2: It's we were watching Into the Writer's Room the other day, and there's a real love and celebration where I work of terrible things, like they'll watch all terrible things. It was so bad we turned it off.
Speaker 3: Really it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I shouldn't say so bad, but I feel like, especially for me, sometimes when I watch comedy that feels so uninspired and so almost cynically lazy that it I it makes me sick, like it's like that's the thing I want to do well and I don't often do well and don't work. I'm very lazy. I don't want to see those motherfuckers lazy and get paid for it.
Speaker 5: And I've even seen like Larry the Cable Guy have like some okay jokes and him yeah, and definitely there's like some well written jokes in there, but I could not believe. I mean, Jeff Foxworthy's been out it for so long, like, how could you be this bad? I don't know if he just gave up or something like that, but it was like such a relief when Larry the Cable Guy was.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, thank god, Larry the Cable Guy.
Speaker 2: Some energy, some freshness.
Speaker 4: I was going to admit now that I watched. I watched the first five minutes and I couldn't take it.
Speaker 3: Was really awful.
Speaker 4: I skipped sad.
Speaker 5: He seems like a real nice guy and everything worked hard to put a good career together for himself, and you know, catering to a group of people that want to hear that type of stuff and they deserve comedy as well.
Speaker 3: To see him have it.
Speaker 4: A difficult world of station merch.
Speaker 2: Talk me through it, crack that Jeff be my courtison into it. Help me. Uh, we were watching it and uh, there was some premise. I'm killing myself trying to remember it, but it was a thing where everybody in the room there was it's not even all stand up comments at this show or whatever. Everybody in the room was like, isn't that the oldest premise in the world? Yeah, what was it?
Speaker 3: Do you? I mean?
Speaker 5: I was, I was pretty drunk when I watched it, of course it was actually I was hanging out with it was the same situation where it's like a couple of comics are out They're like watch which I don't normally like doing stuff like that, but I it was interesting, just how incredibly bad.
Speaker 4: I soberly decided to watch it one evening midday.
Speaker 3: It was midday and mid week, and yeah, it was something.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel like television is really starting not to matter at all anymore. Like they will put anything on and it's that thing of like, oh, well, this is the person that made money before the deal we're gonna make because they already have money, so they don't care. So the deal is you can do whatever you want, and then they actually do whatever they want.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're like, if you're like my grandpa or something like that, and you just discovered Netflix and you watch that special, I mean you're gonna have a great time, sure, you know. And so I mean there's a market for it. I mean it's not they're huge names. They're they're making money off of that.
Speaker 3: I'm of course.
Speaker 2: Sure that's the given. It's like comedy for people who don't care that much about comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people that find laughing because of their age painful.
Speaker 2: They want to keep it to a mild giggle.
Speaker 4: Light other way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You know what happens with my lakad Jevelyn.
Speaker 2: I need something to bridge out of Fox News and then back into Fox News later because.
Speaker 4: Something But yeah, the comedic version of cotton in my mouth.
Speaker 2: But God bless them, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great voters, great voters, and you were when you were talking about that show, you're is it the Good Trip.
Speaker 2: Show is the one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So will you talk a little bit about is it d m T?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So my show is about psychedelics, and uh it's I like doing them things. My last two albums have had a theme and this one just happens to be about psychedelics, which I am a fan of. And yeah, we're talking before the show about d m T, which is that's a that's a little Uh, it's an intense one to start off on, because unlike mushrooms or LSD or something like that, that might make like this felt on this nice table here feel real nice.
Speaker 4: There was an episode where you felt the wall for a while.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: She was tripping.
Speaker 2: That's his I'm on Heroin all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah, that'll feel good, a little heroine, a little soft wall.
Speaker 4: Day. Karen's always tapping the pokey.
Speaker 2: It's very tough.
Speaker 5: Tapping the pokey is the cutest way I've ever heard heroin.
Speaker 3: So yeah, d m T is.
Speaker 5: Dimethyl Trip to mean more people know of ayahuasca seems to make the news a bit more. People go down to Peru and sit in uh shack with the shaman and Mike Caplan.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I gave Mike DMT for his first time actually, and he didn't it was too intense for him. But he enjoys ayahuasca because DMT is the active ingredient in ayahuasca, and you smoke it and it's just a ten minute long but extremely intense. It's like the six hour ayahuasca trip all boiled down into ten minutes.
Speaker 4: They have the vomiting that everyone no.
Speaker 5: No, And I've done. I've done a couple of ayahuasca ceremonies. I did it after doing lots of d MT, and I found them to be very disappointing because I was expecting it to be like DMT but like maybe a little slower and a little elongated, and it was like it just felt like a strong mushroom trip to me. And so so yeah, people go down to Peru and like realize they need to get out of a cubicle and focus on pottery or whatever because they just puked all over their friend.
Speaker 3: And but so.
Speaker 5: Apparently dimethyl trip to me and some people think and the science and any of this stuff is because of because of how strictly it's regulated is is iffy. But they think that it's uh what makes you dream at night. It's naturally in your brain and that's what makes you dream at night, which I sort of believe because I've had some d MT trips where because so normally you smoke DMT and you go to like a different world entirely. It's like a totally different place, completely foreign and different things.
Speaker 4: Sleeping or are your eyes closed.
Speaker 5: Nor your eyes are usually closed, it helps, but if your eyes are open, you'll see the same stuff, but it's just like you'll see it over like this, this perception that we all see would be like a glare on that on that TV screen of d MT basically, so it's just easier to see if your eyes are closed, and it kind of wraps around you and you feel like you're a part of it. But it's a lot of like fractals and shapes and odd colors and tunnels that you're flying through and that sort of thing, and like weird like like hologram like cities and stuff like that, and and the these strange like this bizarre like architecture and in like this kind of hyperspace. It's it's exceptionally intense. It's very very intense and so but but I have seen, but I have seen like dreams like like me and my girlfriend walking down a street or something like that in a d MT trip before. So that's what leads me to believe that maybe they're onto something with that. And then they think it gets released in high volumes right before you die, and that's why.
Speaker 3: People are lucky enough to be revived.
Speaker 5: They have all these stories of seeing these bright lights God and all that, which I get because you do see like if you smoke enough of it, especially over time, you'll see like beings and all these weird things that are communicated white light. Yeah, purple, but yeah, yeah, no, I stay away from that, away.
Speaker 2: From the light. Yeah yeah, the old at it yea from.
Speaker 3: Sunglasses God Dress.
Speaker 4: I can't remember her name, but the yes, I knew, you'd know. She was also in sixteen Candles.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I did, So I've done that like probably like ninety times or so, did I Yeah, by did ayahuasca like twice two times in a row. And I thought it was silly. I thought it was like a bunch of people kidding themselves. And by the way, I don't think that it's like gods and stuff that you're seeing. Actually, I just think it's what it looks like. I just think it's what the inner workings of the mind look like. I think it's very much like the movie Inside Out, which is a cute little children's representation, But I really do think that that's what the brain is doing. I have a science podcast called Here We Are. I travel around and talk with scientists about life, and I'm into neuroscience and stuff, and I do think that there's different We all have to wear like many hats in life, and we like you have to be a child and then a parent, and you have to be dating and monogamous or you know, or a coworker or friend, and to do that, your brain needs all of these different mechanisms and you have to have these kind of different personalities at different times. And I think that they're stored somewhere and you're non conscious kind of living down there and running these simulations for future kind of like you know, when when as a comedian, you'll sometimes be like or when I was a kid, especially before I as a comedian getting like picked on at the school.
Speaker 3: Yard or whatever. I'd be like, oh.
Speaker 5: Next time that happens, I'll know just what to say. And then he kind of fantasize about that situation.
Speaker 4: I do that every day, whether most.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we all do.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's exactly that's what's happening in the non conscious world. And it's just like it looks so bizarre when because it's not like this at all, that it looks like you're seeing like space or these different dimensions or aliens or whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 4: So if I were, would you suggest you think they're unrelated, this ayahuasca thing, like it wouldn't be a good thing to do before you did something like DMT, because.
Speaker 5: I maybe maybe I might have ruined ayahuasca for myself by doing going skipping straight.
Speaker 3: To the chase.
Speaker 4: I think that's what you're describing you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But if.
Speaker 4: I'm worried that, I'm worried that if I because I'm not afraid to do these things, neither open my mind. But I don't want to see my whole family melting or something like. I don't want to see bad things I'm worried about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the thing with psychedelics is like they're not necessarily a pleasurable thing.
Speaker 3: They certainly can be in very euphoric.
Speaker 5: And whatnot, and and like you know, you can have a Fourth of July party and have a lot of fun or whatever.
Speaker 3: But usually when I.
Speaker 5: Are you talking about, I am, which was a wonderful time, by the way, that was that was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Nate Craig can't be stopped.
Speaker 2: He won't stop, he will.
Speaker 3: Not be.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean, you can do it in a party situation like that, and I do once in a while, but to me, most of the time, I'm not getting the Facebook reference. That's that's fine, But I usually use psychedelicis like a meditative therapeutic aid.
Speaker 3: I like to do them by.
Speaker 5: Myself, yourself, sitting right, And if I'm with other people, I always feel like I'm like I always feel like I need to be like the caregiver, Like like people think I'm going to be like their spirit guide or something like that, and I just like I'd rather not have the responsibility.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of takes me out of it.
Speaker 4: People have brought when drug talk comes up. Uh, your name comes up as someone that you should do it with.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 4: This girl in Austin said that you were her guide on.
Speaker 3: Some d MT probably yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Can't remember her name.
Speaker 2: But now, what's the drug that was just a week ago? Have you seen those YouTube videos where people take a hit. There's a really kind of famous YouTube video where it's a guy and a girl in the living room and they both take a hit off this pipe and then they will start freaking out almost immediately, and the guide jump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's that drug?
Speaker 3: I have no idea it's.
Speaker 2: It's I don't It's not DMT.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's like a d MT.
Speaker 3: You are.
Speaker 5: You're sitting just like I'm sitting right now, Like you're not moving. You forget that you have a body, You don't you don't remember. Like sometimes I'm in there and I'm like, oh wait, okay, I'm I'm a I'm a human. I'm a shame. I just spoke to this DMT stuff. I'm sitting in a couch right now.
Speaker 2: You'll just comp're not flying through space.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, so yeah, you would be immobile.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I can't even Maybe I need to, but I can't even when I smoke in the past, I've smoked weed a bunch, and I don't like losing control in that way. I don't like.
Speaker 3: Weed that much. I feel a out of control on weed more than anything.
Speaker 4: Me too, Me too, Yeah, I don't like.
Speaker 5: I don't mind edibles if it's a light dosage because it's more of a body those kind of a thing. But I'm not a big weed guy.
Speaker 4: Actually makes me doubt everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of paranoia. Yeah, Like it's the enjoyment. I like it fine, but the enjoyment is like usually fifty percent. No, I say, the enjoyment is like forty two percent and the possibility of just like weird bad feeling is sixty eight percent. Is that the right matth? Yeah, it's just like that weird thing around. It's a real roll of the dice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is for me too.
Speaker 5: And I feel like I can be a socially awkward person anyway, right, And I feel like we'd really can bring that out. Sometimes it's just fantastic, but it can really bring that out of me, and it feels like it just slows me down. And I mean, I'm very grateful for We'd. We'd was like a big part of my life for like three or four years. I think is like the first drug that I really latched onto and really changed the way that I look at life. And I'm grateful for it, but I kind of I got sick of it and I didn't like quit or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I just got bored with it.
Speaker 4: It's funny to me that marijuana is like a pain aid for people with cancer, because when I'm high, I think that every feeling in my body is potential cancer.
Speaker 3: Well I'm like, yeah, all paranoid and start shutting.
Speaker 2: I have like a bubble here, a cancer bubble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cancer bubble. And that guy's a cop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I may Craig. I've tripped like so hard.
Speaker 5: And everything else so many times, but I've never felt like I was going to die before, except on weed.
Speaker 3: Was like I'm going to like, yeah, how many times?
Speaker 2: I remember playing like dominoes with my friend and we got super high and then I was like, I can't really think I'm having a heart attack. And it was Jeremy Kramer. He goes, do you want me to take you to the emergency room?
Speaker 3: And then I was like no.
Speaker 2: It was just like suddenly I realized, like, there's no way your as a twenty I was like twenty six, Like you're not having a heart attack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no matter how high you are, you can't ignore that condescending tone. Yes, it's like, oh, thank you for snapping me out.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's the only thing that would have worked well.
Speaker 5: And then and then there's some people that function really well on weed and there and they're funny and they get lots of work done and the like high function. I have a I have a friend in Portland who he smokes dabs, which dab smoke. It's just very very high concentrated marijuana. It's just processed a little differently. It's just the tar based and it's ridiculous because then you need whole setups to do it. You need like a big glass bong and like a blow torch and like all this fuck Jesus stupid. But but it's just like it's just normal weed times probably ten or something like that. And he wakes up in the morning starts smoking dabs and I give him a hard time for and we're I haven't known him for that long, but he we were we were playing a board game one day and I and he was just really stupid. Yeah, he was just doing like really stupid stuff and like not understanding. I'm like, like, Joe, you smoke too many dabs, man, And then he's like.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't had a dab in a while.
Speaker 5: It's been too long, and he went smoked a dab and then he was just normal again.
Speaker 3: And that function with a bad signs.
Speaker 4: They're the opener for Larry the Cable guy. I think he quit the Shannon McLaughlan guy. Do you remember him? No, he was a younger. He had a bad hip. I have a bad hip. He had a bad but he got high before every show and he insisted that he needed it. He was a great comic, but he got high. And it scared the hell out of me that he was dependent on being high. Yeah, he did stand up, but that scares me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Have you ever been high on stage?
Speaker 4: A couple of times and it was not fun?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I've done it probably twenty times, and most of them like kind of goof off shows where I didn't like there's just like a goof off in passing like I was. I was just kind of stopping through on my way to do other things, to do a quick spot when I do a.
Speaker 4: Big show in Vegas. Hop he's so horrified.
Speaker 5: I think I've had like ten good experiences in ten pretty very uncomfortable experiences, and it's just not worth that chance at all.
Speaker 4: I think you can get into a rhythm and feel like you're oh, I have opened something up. I am saying things that maybe I'd be apprehensive about. But then you get stopped and your brain will go, how about you just a blank for a half a minute. Yeah, I can't remember any of your thoughts. And that's what makes me mad about weed. I hate that you can't. I want to get into it because you know, I'd like to be a person that doesn't drink for a long time. You drink, right, and then you stopped.
Speaker 3: I stopped for like three years.
Speaker 5: I drink again now, Oh okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I quit for like three and I drink for the most part like a normal person now. And I mean I have some wild nights here and there, but I haven't gotten myself into any trouble. I haven't had any like red flags or anything since I've started drinking again. It was when I it was so I broke my feet a couple of years ago and both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, can tell that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I I was.
Speaker 5: I was hiking. I made an album about it called My Big Break. I like, like I said, I like doing themed things. But yeah, I was hiking with a friend. I was in the best shape of my life. I hadn't been drinking for at least two years. I never like, I didn't like mark my calendar. I wasn't in La getting chips or anything like that. I just didn't feel like it, and it felt like it was affecting my life. But I hadn't hadn't smoked cigarettes in like three years, and and I'd been working. I was like way into rock climbing, and for like the first time in my entire life. I've never been in shape in my entire life. And I had about a year where I was in like really great shape and and just way too much confidence. And I was hiking in Sedona, Arizona with a friend who wanted to take this shortcut that his that is, his wife would never let him take. And here's here was part of the problem too. He was like this big, he has like four hundred pounds. Like his whole life, he's been like crazy obese and then he he did this, but he's a really really really strange dude and he's like married to a psychic and stuff, and he he decided to he looked up this like bulletproof diet sort of thing or something like that. Well, he just drank coffee with butter in it. Yeah, and didn't eat for like, I think it was like thirty days or something like that, and he.
Speaker 3: Lost all of his weight. Yeah, like just like that.
Speaker 4: He lost us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, who knows how much.
Speaker 4: Lemon and cayenne thing for fifteen days?
Speaker 3: And I felt like, you didn't eat anything?
Speaker 4: No, I just drank the lemon.
Speaker 5: What is that? Like?
Speaker 4: It was a man. There's pine cones shooting out of it. I was like, well that was cancer also. But and I had energy and I wasn't after a while. After seven days of it, I wasn't really hungry, but it was a frantic energy like that. I didn't know what to do with it. And I could tell my arm my muscles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's supposed to be some ketosis thing and stuff like, it's not an area of science that I know anything.
Speaker 4: To feel whatever that is. But I could tell that my muscles were welting away. But my guts. Like I it was like my body had become a filtration system. Yeah, I was coming.
Speaker 3: Out at this point or something like that.
Speaker 4: No, not really five pounds or something.
Speaker 5: Because if I don't like have five pounds to lose, if I want to like add weight, I've been freakishly skinny my whole life. I'm self conscious about it. And uh and that would that would worry me. I mean, I get the idea of I mean, we do put a lot of garbage in us, and like the idea of a cleanse sounds like a but it seemed it also sees is a real.
Speaker 4: Crazy They're call in all that stuff that was good. Well, I've never heard in the butter coffee.
Speaker 2: Well you know what's cool about that is the butter coffee thing, because I tried that bulletproof coffee one time, and there was something about it. Because I have am I quit sugar recently, and it's a hard thing to do. But once you do it, especially if you're an overweight person, want you lose the craving of sugar and that which is the thing that keeps you compulsively eating. And once that's gone, it's the weirdest feeling to not have that like monkey on your back that it's easy.
Speaker 3: We're addicted to sugar, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it's there's like an allergy when you're like a person that becomes obese and has that kind of system. It's like this allergy where you can't have any because the amount you have, it's like you exponentially want to eat more and more of anything just to get the sugar in you. So once you're clean of it, like if you did bulletproof coffee for twenty thirty days and then that would totally be out of your system, and then it would be like, yeah, you can drop all the way you want because you don't have like the addiction anymore.
Speaker 5: I will say, in like my health kick, I did because I was in CrossFit in the place I was at this whole life challenge thing and I was like, I didn't want to do it. I wasn't interested, and they just kind of like bullied me into it basically. And I was trying to be very open minded and I wasn't interested in dieting or anything like that because I eat healthy enough anyway. But I did there very strict, like you know, no sugar, no artificial stuff. And it was like very I don't know, it was very Why am I forgetting like paleo ish?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And and and it was I have to admit, the best I ever felt in my entire life. I had so much energy. I was so sharp and smart, like I think now. I mean, I I do feel foggy sometimes, just like eating if I eat, if I'm on the road, and you know, I got this. I'm worried about this tour because when you're driving like that, you don't want to eat.
Speaker 3: I want to keep going destination.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I definitely it does create like some sort of fog in my head.
Speaker 2: Oh it's terrible. It's poison. It causes inflammation, and it makes your brain swell up and all all your other shits swell up. It's I mean, I'm like the weird born again frission about it now, because I'm like, oo's I'm just.
Speaker 4: So happy you feel great and look great.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I definitely feel great. I like so much. I was like just constantly sleeping. I was basically just like always eating sugar and sleeping all the time. And I was like, this is bad.
Speaker 5: Sleeping's good. For the most part, it's good for you. I love naps. Naps are I think there should be more napping. I don't think people realize how great naps are.
Speaker 2: It's the best, except for when you do a too long one and then you're just fucked.
Speaker 3: I do about I do about twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, like if you fall asleep for three hours in the middle of the day, and then like when I wake up, I don't know where I am and I don't know my.
Speaker 4: Last I love when I take an afternoon nap and I wake up right around bedtime. That's the worst feeling. When I was in Spain, though, the restaurants closed at three, like at CSTA time, and they everyone went and took naps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really good for the brain. People will really underestimate what the non conscious brain is doing.
Speaker 3: When I work.
Speaker 5: I do this like Palmodoro technique, which is very simple. It's just you got to find your range. But it's like around twenty to thirty minutes where you just focus on. And also twenty thirty minutes doesn't seem like a very long time to just like Okay, I'll just clean or study this or whatever for thirty minutes or whatever, and that's it, and then you stop.
Speaker 3: You just have to stop. Don't push it past that.
Speaker 5: And then you just take like a five or ten minute break and do whatever you want yourself with other things, get your mind off of it for five or ten minutes, come back to it, and then just keep on doing that throughout the day, because your non conscious brain's doing all the work. It's what's coming up with. You know, you're grinding out a joker, you have some good joke idea, and then you're like, or you have a bad joke idea rather, and then you're like, screw that, you forget about it. You just like, that'll never work. That doesn't enter your mind again. A month later, it pops back into your head, just the best idea that you've ever had, Like, what's it doing down there?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: And so you need you need to give that non conscious Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Is there a pamphy of a pamphlet?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What it's the Pomodorum.
Speaker 5: Even Yeah, it's a you can look it up. It's pretty it's pretty simple.
Speaker 2: Just giving your full attention to one thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for for just for anything you want.
Speaker 5: So I'll have like a to do list or whatever, so I'll be like, Okay, this one I'll do for I usually set my alarm for like twenty three minutes, and then when it goes off, I can keep working for like five minutes if I'm like writing in the flow of something, and then just take a break. And so with my with my science podcast. The easiest way for me to keep up with because I have a broad array of topics is I take as many like online courses as I can.
Speaker 3: I don't do homework or anything.
Speaker 5: I just watch the lectures and try to just get a brief synopsis of the information. And I took this class learning how to Learn through course Era, and they talked a lot about that.
Speaker 3: That's that's where I got that problem.
Speaker 5: But I've I've talked with other scientists have told me that they use it as well.
Speaker 3: It works really well. And because I have a hard time, like if you're like, okay, I got to do.
Speaker 5: This whole to do list, well, if that's like eight hour like just to get motivated, you'll put it off and put it off. But to do like twenty thirty minutes of work, like anyone will sit down and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that absolutely, So let's go back to my feet. Yeah, friend is so he.
Speaker 5: So, I guess it's not that crazy what he did to do this weird diet, but and he's feeling the best he's ever felt in his life. He's been this huge person his whole life, and now all of a sudden, he's normal.
Speaker 4: Say it was three four hundred, how big?
Speaker 3: I think he was close to four hundred.
Speaker 5: That's a big that's a person and now and then he got down to like a little over two hundred I think. And so for the first time in his life, like he could do stuff. And so he's getting really active and doing all this jiu jitsu and like all this other stuff, and even started doing a little bit of rock climbing, and but he didn't know how high he could jump from because he just had never been able to like jump off things before, and he thought he was Superman, and so he was like convinced that this one jump would be okay down to the shortcut and I was like, ah, that's too high, and he's like.
Speaker 3: No, no, we can make it.
Speaker 5: And I was like ah, and he's like really committed to it, and I was like, well, why don't I at least try it? First, because I can. I've been jumping, yeah, I've been, like, and I love heights. I'm not averse to heights. And I was in great shape, too much confidence, and I tried it and I broke both my heels and one of them exploded, and I had to crawl down the mountain for a few hours, which sucked because it's too steep for anyone to really help me.
Speaker 3: And uh, yeah, kind of uh.
Speaker 4: You had when I saw you. I saw you in the airport somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a wheelchair, wasn't I.
Speaker 4: At that point you had you were walking around, but your feet had this open.
Speaker 3: Oh, I had the vacuum.
Speaker 4: I maintained some open wound.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So so the break wasn't I mean it was. It was the worst part, but like more shit hit the fan afterwards.
Speaker 3: So I had to.
Speaker 5: I couldn't care for myself. And in my place. You were at my old place in Malibu. Yeah, you know, it has all the steps to get up, so I couldn't, like there's no way I could like get groceries up or anything. So I had to move into my parents' basement for three months and have them take care of me. And uh, and the and the one foot was not just not that big of a deal at all. It's just like a little chip. But the other one was was serious. And they told me before they did the surgery, they were debating. They were like, we don't know if we can we should even do this surgery because it's so invasive and and but your bones just you'll never walk right again if we don't do it. And so we did the surgery and they did a great job with it, but but just because of.
Speaker 3: Because of where where it was.
Speaker 5: So this is where they cut in on my foot, there's just like a.
Speaker 4: A dippy very.
Speaker 3: Was.
Speaker 5: So they they did the surgery and then I got on the road again and it's like, okay, you know, I'm sure I'll recover from this. And then I didn't know, but I got a bone infection and they warned me that that might be the case because they didn't this didn't.
Speaker 3: Seal properly, so there was still like it was because of chicken fingers rubbing them in there.
Speaker 5: And when I got the bone infection that bone infections can be very soon stuff, and I almost lost my foot. They were worried about it, and so then I had to get another surgery, and they had to just cut out where that hole was.
Speaker 3: They just cut off like as.
Speaker 5: Much of my foot as they could and took all the metal out and everything which they were going to leave in originally. And then they and then so then three so then I had this. Well, before I had the vacuum, I had three times a day.
Speaker 4: Vacuum is not literally a mechanism that is sucking, but a tube or so like it's open air letting air in.
Speaker 3: Right, No, it's an actual vacuum.
Speaker 4: Good lord.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like it's noisy and stuff you're carried around with you and and it's it's also it's also like a tube. I would put it like through my pants because otherwise it would get caught on things. And so people would see me come into a restaurant. Yeah, and then there's a tube going into my pants, and it's like I almost had to explain to people, like sorry, sorry to ruin your dinner. It's not it's not like anything. It's just a foothole with uh in fact, business.
Speaker 2: Bones just bone stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had bathroom three times a day. I had to before that. That vacuum thing is amazing actually, but before that, I had I had to.
Speaker 3: I'm a little.
Speaker 5: Bitter about our healthcare system from this. I had to because they like basically my insurance kicked me out of the hospital and I had to pull all the gauze out of my foothole, like put rubber gloves on, in a mask and everything.
Speaker 3: I had to.
Speaker 5: I had to hook myself up TV's, yeah, three times a day. I had to like google how to do half the ship, and then I had to pull all this gulls out of my foot and then I had to like clean off my own bone.
Speaker 2: Hold on. The doctors knew that you did this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they they were like, originally I was going to be in the hospital for like two weeks or so maybe and they were gonna like really take care of me. And then they came in after like a few days and they're like, your insurance thinks you're better, so they're saying that you.
Speaker 3: Need to leave, and.
Speaker 2: The doctors didn't go there. I can't.
Speaker 3: Sorry. Yeah, it was, uh, it sucked. I did.
Speaker 5: I did get a home nurse that would come once a day and do it for me, and I'd have to do it the other two times.
Speaker 3: It was a night.
Speaker 4: How you learned how that you just watched her do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she taught me how to do it a little bit. And then and then like some of the IV's. I remember the first night I have these ivs and I'm like, there's bubbles and these I vs.
Speaker 3: I can't have this.
Speaker 5: What happens is like now I'm in my head, I'm like, do you die if there's that? Turns out that's not really a thing. But you don't want bubbles in there, yea, And but it will oxygen and all this stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was. It was a nightmare.
Speaker 5: It was so it was every eight hours too, and it took like two hours for the ivy and to do all this stuff. So it was like I could never sleep for more than like five hours at a time.
Speaker 4: Eat a lot of work done, or make not.
Speaker 3: I couldn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't do anything. And it was it was really hard. I remember. I remember, like, you know, you'd manage it. I'd change it out. I'd put like a plastic thing over my foot so i could take my crutches into the shower and shower and then go out to like do a show in La and then I'd i'd uh. I remember, and I was like handling it. I was managing it. And then and then I remember like there'd just be times where I'd be like put my shoe on and like holding a little looped and then like the loop snapped, and it was just like no, not like any little thing that I wasn't prepared for. It was just like too much was just the jaw that breaks the camel's back. And so I got through all that, didn't lose my foot, and then I got on the cane and then I was like, Okay, light at the end of the tunnel. And then after a few weeks, I realized that every other step that I take in life is going to hurt and and then I had like a bit of a mental breakdown and uh. And then my brother was going to Vegas for his first time. I was supposed to meet him out there, and I was so depressed. And I've had like chronic depression my whole life, something like used to it, it's not that big of a deal for me, but this was like really unmanageable, and I was like thinking about checking myself into a fucking institution and stuff.
Speaker 3: And I then.
Speaker 5: And I was going to cancel on my brother, and I was like I'll just go and I'll just have some drinks and then I'll be fine. And that's why I started drinking again. It was it was it saved me from having like a mental breakdown.
Speaker 3: Actually, you need I needed some sort of release.
Speaker 2: And that's so much to deal with in a consistent way. That's just crazy. Yeah, I mean, yeah, that's intense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you say you're going to pain when you walk every time, do you still do a pain?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: It's it's I do, it's you know, it's it's not really even worth complaining about that.
Speaker 3: I would say that it's bad enough.
Speaker 5: Where if I really wanted to, I could get a handicapped sticker, but I would be an asshole for doing it.
Speaker 4: It's definitely not use that instead of the one through tenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, if you had.
Speaker 4: How much of an asshole would you feel?
Speaker 5: I have a guy, I mean, I have so out of a month, I'll just get hit with like three or four really bad days, like right in a row, and I can't I can't exactly pick up on what's triggering it. But other than that, it's really it's not that bad.
Speaker 2: And how long ago did that happen?
Speaker 5: This is like two years ago in Man recently, yeah, not too long ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it changed my life.
Speaker 5: But I got a really good album out of it, and it kind of like re set and it kind of reset my approach to comedy because when I started, I just did not give a fuck about comedy. I mean, like about like bombing, like I would take all the chances in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like it.
Speaker 4: I like your old jokes though, yeah, yeah, but there was a point no, I switched it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I loved I loved my old jokes too, and but it was because, like I mean, I just like did not give a like if the audience laughter.
Speaker 3: And I would try out new material all the time.
Speaker 5: And I was like so brave when I started, and then something about like you start making a living and then there's pressure you don't want to get in trouble with the club, and it started affecting my act.
Speaker 3: And then my first whack.
Speaker 5: At kind of putting putting together a theme show, which is what I want to try to do, is it became a special on Netflix called Mating Season, which I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Totally jazzed about. It wasn't it just wasn't me.
Speaker 5: And I tried to make it very accessible, and it ended up being I had much more challenging material, but I thought like I wanted to get a broad audience, and it just it just wasn't.
Speaker 3: I still like a lot of the stuff and.
Speaker 5: Whatever, but but when I broke my feet, I was just like, fuck it, I'm just gonna do what I like to do. I'm just I'm not going to cater to the audience anymore. And I needed that because, like, my career is in much better shape now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And it was because that's the lesson. I mean, like in all different ways people learn that, but there is no broad audience. It's like, you have to get up and do what you're authentically supposed to be talking about. That's the only reason people are going to want to watch you.
Speaker 5: Oh, I can't talk about psychedelics for an hour and a half, which is how long my show is, to just a random comedy club audience, which is very understandable. If I if I went to a comedy club, I wouldn't want to see a comic get up and talk about like NASCAR for the whole time if I didn't know that's what was happening.
Speaker 2: And and so, but the people who do want to hear about it are fascinating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the and the the level of enthusiasm for it.
Speaker 4: How did you go about booking this tour?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 4: What did you is a lot of it at comedy clubs? Are you doing other.
Speaker 5: I'm doing comedy clubs on off nights like Tuesday, you know, Sundays, Wednesdays. I'll mix it up probably, yeah, And I'm doing but I'm pretty much the only comedy clubs I'm doing are pretty much only like the best ones in the country, Like I'm doing all the Heliums all their locations in Philly and Albany in Portland, and I'm doing Denver Comedy Works, which is amazing, and Comedy on State and and there's a few Columbus Funny Bone. There's a few other good ones that I'm that I didn't get in, but like Hilarities in Cleveland. So those are the bigger ones I'm doing. But most of what I'm doing is like music venues. I'm also doing some small like on Mondays, doing like a coffee shop or like a pizza joint or something like that.
Speaker 3: Predominantly, how do.
Speaker 4: You promote it though? If you're not if you don't want people to just go to see.
Speaker 5: I figured out how to target the psychedelic community. Basically, I actually I just I'll tell you my secret. I what happened was I was trying all sorts of different marketing things, and like I, once I got the show together, I knew I was onto something. And like the reaction I get, Like I do a show or my regular show, people are like, hey, nice job, a good picture, you know, shake your hand or whatever, I do this show, there'd be like a line of people like wanting to tell me their stories, wanting to ask me questions. I'm like, this is something special, but I didn't know how to Whether or not there was an audience was completely dependent on how well the venue marketed because no one knew who I was. And I had some really nice artwork that caught the eye and everything else done by my good friend Ramin Naser, who's an amazing artist, and this poster that he made for me really helped.
Speaker 3: Just little things like that, tweaking.
Speaker 5: The name, and and and then I figured out I tried some Facebook ads and they were going like it was helping a little bit. I couldn't really tell. And then I actually had like this angel come into my life, this fan of mine, Matt Steinberg and Austin who taught my Austin show and believed in what I was doing. And he worked in the Facebook ads department and he just figured out for me how to target like the psychedelic community on Facebook. And ever since then, I've just been filling rooms and and so incredibly.
Speaker 4: An Austin comic, right, Michael Steinberg.
Speaker 5: No, Matt, Matt Steinberg And and so since then it's been successful. So it was like six months of figuring that out, and then after that it's been really successful. I use a lot of other weird tricks too, but and so because it's been so successful, my agent's like, let's let's put together a little tour. It's gonna be thirty cities at first and ended up being sixty five. So it's it's very exciting.
Speaker 3: This is the most exciting thing in my career.
Speaker 4: Like in October.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it starts October, the first Monday in October. That's the second or third starts in air Staff, Arizona.
Speaker 2: And you said you're driving, but you keep saying we or is someone going to be with you?
Speaker 3: Did I say we?
Speaker 2: Like when you were talking. You were saying, we were planning, Oh my agent and I okay, so are you driving by yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am I I uh, I wanted if I do this again next year with with like a follow up or something like that, I will hopefully be able to afford an RB because right now I have just a shitty I'm a baraque comic with a shitty uh.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, Hondai Lantra. That's been very good to me.
Speaker 4: Wait, it's a good year.
Speaker 2: That's my fit.
Speaker 5: But it's getting that mileage where it's like something's going to go wrong at some point and I don't want it to be on this tour, but it sucks to I would like just even just a van so I could just pull over and take a nap to split things up, or have a desk to write some jokes quick when you have ideas. It would be so amazing to have a closet so I don't need to have like iron my clothes all the time.
Speaker 3: Like there would be so many nice things. Now.
Speaker 5: It's like, if you're in your car, you want to take a nap. As I pull over in the rest area recline, you're you're still sitting in the same chair. It's not really a break for your back or whatever. So but yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 4: All the things you got to do.
Speaker 3: Stop bathroom, Yeah, all of the things.
Speaker 5: Just sitting there twiddling your thumbs on the other side of the glory hole.
Speaker 3: Come on, I need a recharge here. That's how I get my energy.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, like, yeah, I know, I have been there. Like pac Man, pac Man pellets, that's terrific.
Speaker 3: Have you ever played our player pac Man in the arcades.
Speaker 2: Tabletop?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got four things and you eat each other. It's the best arcade game I've.
Speaker 4: Seen a joysticks so great on each side.
Speaker 3: You go to Bridgetown a lot, right, how many festival? I never you don't do the arcade?
Speaker 2: Never went I never went to Do you not like that arcade?
Speaker 4: There was a line line I couldn't get in.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a good game. I have recommend it.
Speaker 2: It's a fun one. I played that one back.
Speaker 5: Five thousand dollars for one, Like I looked into whatever I would It cost five thousand dollars for one stupid game?
Speaker 3: Like why can't they.
Speaker 2: Just oh, they're taking because remember when Pete made his did you ever see that pac Man game Pete made.
Speaker 4: I made one of those two.
Speaker 2: Did you really?
Speaker 4: Just had the cabinet from an old arcade game? And I put my TV. I put my TV and and the joystick turned on the TV, and then where the coins were. It was where my VCR and and DVD.
Speaker 2: It was well even he actually reach you made a real one, like out of wood and whatever, like it looked like a real pac Man machine, but it was all of like sourced parts or whatever. And it probably cost him at the most five hundred dollars. And the fact so the fact that they're charging people five grand is purely like taking advantage of Richard. Oh yeah, rich like gen xers.
Speaker 5: Have you guys played I just played a few days ago, the Vibe the virtual reality. By the way, I'm not like, I love video games, but I'm not a gamer because if I ever own a system like, my life's just over. I'll just I'll die in front of the video games.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've never been into video games either, but I have one skateboarding one on my phone and I can't stop I am every time I had there's a lull, I start playing it like a fifteen year old kid.
Speaker 5: Well, this vibe is like because there was the Octolus Rift or whatever, and there's a lot of problems with it because you get motion sickness and whatnot. But they corrected some of that and they made all the graphics better. And this thing is like I did this paint program. You just like you paint, you use a brush or sparks or whatever, and you're just like painting in the air and then you can walk through it and people like whole ships and then you can like walk inside and look around, and you can graffiti it and.
Speaker 3: All of this stuff.
Speaker 5: And there's like shooters and you're like taking a bow and arrow and pulling back and shooting it things and like dodging their stuff like the matrix and whatnot. It is the future is amazing. Play it with other people as well, Like you can play paintball games and stuff with other people online, trash talking and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the future is incredible. I haven't seen it, but I guess the porn is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you're standing in it in someone's room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're standing in their vagina.
Speaker 4: Learn how to be a proctologist, yeah, or I'm sorry, you know the OBG proper one duncan trestle the riff thing that like three years ago. I tried it on. It was like a sample mode and there was a house plant in the corner of this room that you look around. It's just like tron World. It just was expanded first, and then I looked under this plant and I could see under a leaf, and I was like, oh, that's too much for it was you can under there was a plan. I'm like, cool, a three D plant. And then I looked under it and there's like the veins of the waves and it scared the hell out.
Speaker 5: That's where I did it. Actually that he's upgraded a system. He has the new one.
Speaker 4: Yes. No, he was so into it that I'm like, oh, oh yeah, it's just him and in a deprivation chamber.
Speaker 3: Have you ever done all those deprivation chambers? No?
Speaker 4: He told me that we should, but I've been scared.
Speaker 2: When you're a Bridgetown, they gave away coupons to do I remember that. Yet I was like considering it. I kept going back and forth, and then I just was like, I just can't handle it.
Speaker 3: You know what, why don't you try it?
Speaker 5: I want to do an hour and a half and just have no no expectations for it, because you're probably just gonna think it's like a little laman boring, especially if you've never meditated. But aren't you meditating a little bit.
Speaker 2: Aren't you in the total dark in the water?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, I think it's great. I did it on mushrooms and it was the best trip that I've ever had. That was my fourth and last. The last float that I had was on mushrooms. It was was wonderful. But I've done it three other times without it. The first time, I was just like trying to meditate the whole time and it was great. It was like meditation, like on steroids. It was just a weird sounding thing to say. And then the second time I was I was just I got a little more used to it. And then the third time, I'm like, I'm just gonna let my mind do whatever it wants to do. I'm not going to worry about like trying to focus on my breathing or whatever be in there. And think I came up with all this great material and that I remember it afterwards and wrote down and it's part of my act now, And yeah, I think it's I think it's pretty good. It's so expensive. It's like it, I mean, it's I don't think I would ever do it again. I mean once in a while someone throws me a free float or something like that, because I've had like a flow guy on my podcast and whatnot.
Speaker 3: But it is really expensive.
Speaker 4: I was it's a hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: I think it's like seventy ish.
Speaker 5: I want to say, for like an hour and a half maybe, which is worth it.
Speaker 3: If you're on mushrooms. Otherwise I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: And you get a massage in the tank, Yeah, there's just someone in there and you can't see them, just some feet nice.
Speaker 2: Nice, I think. Well, I think part of my hesitation is because I have epilepsy or seize your disorders what they call it, and really modern.
Speaker 3: I've never met anyone with epilepsy before. I was excited. How often does it? How often do you get it? How often does it strike?
Speaker 2: My medicine controls it almost entirely. The only time I have auras is is if I miss like two doses in a row.
Speaker 3: Are you are you? Do you talk about it a lot? Are you sick of talking about it? I don't talk. When did you When did you first did you have it just right from like.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was I. It was in the nineties when I drank, and so it was basically like the last night I drank, I just went home. I had been having seizures at night and I didn't know, so I was waking up with a bit and tongue. And then one day I woke up and I was talking on the phone to somebody and I said, it's so weird. I keep biting my tongue at night. It's like really hard, like right now, I can barely even talk. And I turned around on the phone and there was a spray of blood on the wall next to my bed, and I just went and got a sponge and wiped it off and never told anybody and never like I just was like that didn't happen. And then probably like four months later or so, I Kristin Barrant was staying with me, Greg's sister, and I had a seizure and she was there, so she called nine one one. So I woke up like I in sleep. I remember my eyes pulling really hard in this weird sensation and like going into it, and I was really scared and tense, and then some weird voice in my mind was like just let go. There's nothing you can do, like, don't fight this, you have to like just relax. And so that's when I had like it was a full uh what do you call it? The uh with the terminology shit, it's there's different types. There's all different types. And I had the big one, Grandma. And then when I woke up, I was surrounded by EMTs like do you know your name? Do you know what a day it is? It was full on, and then I had to go to the hospital. I was in the hospital for four days, and the doctors thought it was from drinking because I was twenty seven, so I was a complete alcoholic and had taken speed like diet pills about two years before. And I think that gave me heart damage. I'm pretty sure, because they say sometimes that's a connection. If you have something wrong with your heart, you'll have seizures.
Speaker 4: Didn't you say it happened while you're driving once.
Speaker 2: Or you just were it has but not full seizure, just my eyes basically my aura, which is the thing that.
Speaker 4: Starts luckily right by an exit or something.
Speaker 2: Didn't you just yes, that's the right It was on the I was that time. I was on the one thirty four in the center lane, and my aura, which is the first thing that starts happening before a full seizure. Some people smell things or sea lights or whatever. Mine is. My eyes start looking up to the left again. My will like I'm not doing it. And so yeah, I was driving up the one thirty four and it started happening, and like when it happens, I turned my head because my eyes pulled so hard that like it's just natural that you have your head turns. And I was driving and going like this, and I knew that that Koanga exit was right there, and so I just cut over like three lanes of traffic and there was no one there. You didn't crash, miracle of God. There were no other cars in three lanes. And I got off and I was going to do a Jane Wilson's show at that church, have a podcast.
Speaker 3: Were you the driver?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we never told anybody.
Speaker 3: I was thinking that even before you met.
Speaker 2: But I mean by the time we said this, my seizures have been controlled by medicine for uh it almost twenty years. I mean like a super long time.
Speaker 5: I would never you haven't had a single one in the twenty years I have medicated.
Speaker 2: I definitely have. I like when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I was taking painkillers viking in which was making me throw up, so I couldn't keep medicine down. So after three days of that, I had a full seizure. Yeah, It's happened here and there, and it's always because I'm not ingesting the medicine or something happens with her strobe light. I've never had a seizure because of a strobe light. I just avoid them.
Speaker 4: Because I thought you said that. Every time I see a strobe light and it's sudden, like it a Halloween of knots, very firm scare.
Speaker 3: Week or whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's what they call it. But there'll be just a strobe light, and I'm like, that's careless. What if someone's epileptic.
Speaker 2: You just could close your eyes. That's what I never I close my eyes every time because because it's a weird thing. That's the way they test you when you get like EEGs or whatever they do. There's a strobe test where they start to induce a seizure to study your.
Speaker 5: So so so that first time that it happened, and your friend was there. Your eyes went back and you then lost consciousness, yes, right away, and so you were just having a seizure for ten minutes and you don't remember any of that.
Speaker 2: No, I only remember the beginning. So I was conscious for the first thirty forty five seconds maybe, uh. And it's super It's just tension. It's like crazy full body muscular engagement. And it's like it just feels like your brain is sparking, you know, because it's all of your it's all the energy, all the synapses are going at one time, and so it's just that and then just really jerky pully body and then there's just like a I just get really calm, you know what I mean. Like it's the same thing happened to me once when I got caught in a wave in Hawaii and I was just like it was like I was in a washing machine. I was super panicked, and then I just got crazy calm. It's just like it'll be over, do not like, do not expend energy, just like and I just and it's the same thing where it's like high high panic and then it's just like let it go. And then yeah, then I woke up and she said she heard she thought I was choking, and so when she came over, my lips were blue. She was so freaked out. I mean, it scared the shit out of her.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm sure it's completely different, but I've had DMT trips where I have, like because I really go for it sometimes and smoke as much as I can. So you can't have like, you can't overdose on it. It's just really hard to like get enough in it to like a lot of times people don't have the full on thing. But there's been times where I think, I like I overdid it a little bit. And there's been like like where I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I like, I feel.
Speaker 5: Like I'm gonna have a fucking seizure or something coming on. It's only happened like twice out of ninety times or whatever. And then I but there'll there'll be a voice like it's okay, just just relax.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's when you said that, I was like, Wow, that's strange.
Speaker 2: I think it's I mean, I don't know if that's I don't know why that would be, but I it feels to me it makes sense that like in like when you're in a worrisome situation or like a panic situation. It's like, yeah, you're experiencing it, you're freaking out, your free you're having all these reactions, and then it gets to a point where, like for me, I've had a couple things like that where it's like so scary that then there's just a little bit of like pull you you, you pull in. It's like your reptilian brain is like no, no, no, no, Like we're not doing this anymore, is what it feels like to me. We're just like shut it all down for a little bit and then you can come back later.
Speaker 4: Because this is too much. You just lost your.
Speaker 2: Tail and you're real, real scared.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow, yeah, I feel like I haven't had any experiences.
Speaker 2: Well know you hear all your hip things.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean, well, you're in pain all the time.
Speaker 5: You're into a little you're into mushrooms and l's steel ittle bit.
Speaker 4: Right fourth July.
Speaker 3: Oh that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for our country to celebrate our future.
Speaker 5: You should try one time to stare at the flag and watch the colors.
Speaker 4: They don't run, but they the hell don't.
Speaker 5: You should try just just with a with a close friend or maybe even by yourself.
Speaker 4: I'd do it like with my dad if I could talk him into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do d m T No, No, not DM DMT is not like a bonding experience.
Speaker 3: It's like you're you're buyers.
Speaker 4: I don't like the mushroom thing. I don't like. I don't socially, I don't. I feel like I should be in the woods.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah with a.
Speaker 4: Friend or something. Yeah, but I don't like it, like at my fourth do like no.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I know that's what I'm saying, Like, that's really not the best. If that's the only time you're not getting like the full picture of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: In your life.
Speaker 3: Really good parties are amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really fun.
Speaker 3: That was That was fantam.
Speaker 4: You were up at seven in the morning.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I woke up. I just to make sure there weren't strangers in the because one guy threatened to pull out a gun and everything. And I was in my room hiding and I came out and you were still like wide awake and party and.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, yeah, I did at a fair amount of psychedelics that evening.
Speaker 2: Well, wait was everybody partying till seven?
Speaker 5: There was a scroup left. Yeah, I wasn't just hanging out with my shof.
Speaker 4: I'm just glad you guys were there because because you're having fun and the party was continuing, which gave me pride. And then the doors and windows were wide open, and I just thought I'd come out and there'd be bandits and just a gang of raccoons putting all our forks and a satchel.
Speaker 2: These are ours now forks, so we need those, Nate, What.
Speaker 4: Do I do with this worthless laptop? Yeah? That shit, man, Let's do drugs, guys.
Speaker 2: Guys, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited for Do you sell these books?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: These are adult coloring books slash trip journals that I saw, so I have. There's an organization that's the biggest research psychedelic research organization in the US, maybe in the world, called called MAPS, the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies. And I had some of their people on my podcast, so some of their researchers. They're trying to get MDMA approved. There in the last stage of getting MTMA approved for clinical use for people with PTSD.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: And because what it does is it it inhibits blood flow to the amigdala, which is like your fight or fight kind of response, and which is what PTSD have have overactive, like the one little trigger, and all of a sudden, this thing lights up and it's just too much for them, and they like stop thinking about it, and then they repress it too much. And then once you repress it so much, it'll just bubble out and project into the non conscious work or the into your conscious world, and that's why you have hallucinations and stuff sometimes.
Speaker 3: When it's really severe.
Speaker 5: But so it inhibits blood flow to the prefrontal cortex and then it increases it or the amigdala, and then it increases it to the prefrontal cortex, which is like your decision making functions and does a lot of your higher processes. Kind of we're all these big fancy thoughts of ours, the kind of later on an evolution, our fanciest ones, all these big words.
Speaker 4: Water slide on a boat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so so people are able to then be kind of walked through all of these things that they normally just can't handle thinking about in a way and they're able to process it more. And that's really almost people need is just to be able to figure out a way to process it.
Speaker 2: And talk about it without being triggered.
Speaker 5: Yeah and so, so the organization is actually a sponsor of my tour and yeah and so, and they've been on my podcast several times from the researchers. And so, I forget the question that got me into that. Originally it was about oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, about this, about this trip journal and adult coloring book. So one I just thought it was kind of a brilliant idea anyway, and then Remine. I have Romine Nser who edits my podcast, and he's just an amazing artist in general. And so one of the things when you're having like a bad trip at a music, big music festival, they'll have tents, like there's this organization Zendo that that maps has and you go in and they just they just kind of give you a safe place to kind of relate a bad trip. There's no like medical intervention needed. You just need a place where you can just kind of process things and not panic so much and and calm down a little bit. And one of the things that they do is like they'll give people coloring books and whatnot because it gives them like a little something to focus on.
Speaker 3: So that was part of the thinking of of having this too.
Speaker 5: And and I like the idea of journaling during a trip to so yeah, that's the buss.
Speaker 2: That's very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I'll do so. I have a joke about like.
Speaker 5: People being talking about like universal love and whatnot when they when they're tripping, and so that's what this this like a universe of hearts in there. So it's all based on on my act. It's pretty neat.
Speaker 4: That is the neatest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just got them.
Speaker 4: What's monkey with these melting this vomits vomit goblin.
Speaker 3: About like thinking about cops well on acid. You'd have to see that. That's great, Yeah, every one of them.
Speaker 5: Once you've seen the act, you'll understand all of those different This is this Christmas one.
Speaker 3: So there's a there's a.
Speaker 5: Mushroom amanita mescalia or something like that that I first found out about it because someone people come up to me after show and tell me about all these weird drugs I've never heard of. So apparently this mushroom you eat it does nothing to you at all. But then if you collect your urine and drink it, you trip your bulls. But and I haven't tried that one yet.
Speaker 4: Does Christmas come into that?
Speaker 3: So I didn't.
Speaker 5: I thought they were making it up. So I looked into it and it turns out that they think that. So there's a lot of a lot of people have these ideas which I don't really subscribe to, that are about that psychedelics. We're kind of the foundation of a lot of a lot of modern religions and a lot of modern myths. So this mushroom they think is responsible for the Santa Claus myth because it's a red and white mushroom that grows under conifer trees, and they would they would like it would be this gift that you would give for like to have the ceremony in one of the things that they do to test if the mushrooms were good. If they trip, they would give them they were reindeer herders, they'd give them the reindeer, and if they were worked, the reindeer would start jumping up and down, like really high. And so they think that's it's not it's not. I'm not saying I.
Speaker 3: Believe that, but it's just a fun little thing.
Speaker 5: So that's that's the story of that picture. So every every picture has a little story to it.
Speaker 4: That's just a story about animals.
Speaker 2: No, they it's not abuse because they fucking love it. I love getting high. They think it's the greatest.
Speaker 3: Animals love getting high, my cat.
Speaker 5: Have you seen have you ever seen like monkeys getting drunk. There's this great if you just put in monkeys getting drunk. There's this resort area in some country and that has monkeys around, and the monkeys will just run up and like grab someone's drink from them and drink it. And they found that they found that these monkeys have have the exact same kind of percentage of alcoholism as humans. So you have some monkeys that like, try it once and don't touch it, won't touch the stuff. Have some monkeys they're like, I'll have a drink here and there you know it's dried. And then you have some monkeys that are just raging alcoholics out of control, and it's like the exact same percentage as humans. So that's like the kind of stuff that I'm into and I talk about on my Here we Are podcast. I just basically if there's something I don't know about, like say seizures, which I know nothing about, I'm interested in. I just try to find a researcher in one of the cities that I'm traveling to, or I make a list of people and topics I'm interested in, and I look them up and get them on my show to have them explain it to me.
Speaker 3: So that's that's terrific.
Speaker 4: Wow. I hope there's a monkey out there that only smokes when you drink. I know, these old things.
Speaker 2: I want to quit, but I can't.
Speaker 4: That's a class. I love the fifties footage of forcing monkeys to smoke.
Speaker 3: You didn't have to force them for too long. I don't think you have to.
Speaker 4: You're being a dick and a lapto at that point, and.
Speaker 2: You also have to put a leather jacket on them to complete the picture. Well. You usually at the end of our podcast we ask people to give us plugs. I feel like you've done.
Speaker 3: The entire time. Yeah, I will pro.
Speaker 4: Pro Yeah that was.
Speaker 2: It was very conversational.
Speaker 5: So how yeah, I mean, it's it's like a show that I'm so excited about. So it's like easy and talk. It's just like you know, when you're like sick of your act and stuff, which I'll probably be sick of this by the end of the tour, I imagine. But it's just you know, you know that special time when you're like actually excited all together and you're like, so that's where I am right.
Speaker 2: You're doing?
Speaker 4: How do people find it?
Speaker 5: Just as Shane Moss m a U s s dot com and you can go on there and check all the dates.
Speaker 3: It's sixty five cities if you live in the US.
Speaker 4: I'm any I've had trouble with your And then m a U S S sounds like m O S S.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I actually spell some people pronounce some people have the same spelling and pronounce it the mouse.
Speaker 4: Get out of here with your mouse ship.
Speaker 3: But that's but that's like I know this.
Speaker 5: There's this German scientist who is here now and pronounces it that way, and it's a German name. So I'm like, well, she's probably right. Then I think I'm I think maybe I've been saying it wrong.
Speaker 2: You're in America.
Speaker 4: It's just her weird Nazi accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, German on this.
Speaker 3: Podcast, they did they were not.
Speaker 2: Shake a finger, a judgmental finger at the Germans.
Speaker 5: Everyone.
Speaker 3: You don't want to.
Speaker 2: Slip It was only a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that long.
Speaker 2: It really wasn't shocking.
Speaker 4: And I've forgiven them.
Speaker 2: You're such a good person, yea.
Speaker 3: Yourself.
Speaker 2: You know what I forgive. Nazi ladies and gentlemen, this has been.
Speaker 4: Do you need a ride? E y n A?
Speaker 2: Are you leaving? I?
Speaker 1: You wanna way back home? Either way we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us time and a turmanal and gay.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off inside.
Speaker 1: We want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: Porn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride with Karen and chriss
Speaker 5: Mm hm