Speaker 1: I leave in I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol e gaye ad.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 1: Do you want to welcome you back home? Tell us all about it? We scared her? Was it fine? Malborn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: To ride? Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgariff.
Speaker 2: Hi, my friend Karen.
Speaker 1: Hi, Chris Fairbanks. What's going down? We just podcasted yesterday? Yeah, so we a two in a row is not common for us?
Speaker 2: No, it isn't. But I was. You know, when I steamrolled the beginning of the show with my story as I do, I realized I had kind of a better one from yesterday. But I'm like, you know what, maybe I'll save it or not. All stories need to be told.
Speaker 1: And now suddenly this opportunity has presented itself to you.
Speaker 2: It needs to be told as much as it needs to be a documentary.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: I was walking out of the Walgreens.
Speaker 1: And hold on, this is how the documentary is going to start. Yeah, yeah, black screen, and it's Chris's voice saying, oh, I was walking like a weird old man.
Speaker 2: Cut to still the way weird old man. Well, hold on, I went to get my meta musle at the Walgreens.
Speaker 1: And then it's typewritten I was walking with three eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, and I, uh, yeah, I just was getting I needed rubber gloves because I'm so I'm just walking out of the store with rubber gloves, and I, uh, this kid came up to me, or kid. I can't tell how old people are sometimes, let's just say he was thirty, so sort of a kid to me. And he just went started telling a story and I was in the right mood to listen. He's like, I just got dropped off. I've been in jail for three years and I just got out, and you're the first person I've talked to that is an in jail. And I was like, okay, wow, congratulations you're out, because he was like a happy person. But I tried to cut right to the chase, and I'm like, I don't have any cash, but can I help you with anything? Like I assumed I would go into Walgreens and maybe buy him a beverage or something, because he also had a knife in his pocket, but just like a pocket knife, like anyone, and he did have I he was telling me that he was in for three years, that it was scary that he showered only at three am because he thought he was going to get killed. And he did tell me a bunch of scary stories, and I did believe him. And he did have a bag of his clothes with a Bible in it with a bunch of bookmarks, which is kind of the if you're if I was going to create props for someone outside of just getting out of jail, the Bible with all the bookmarks.
Speaker 1: Would definitely yeah, that's that makes you buy it.
Speaker 2: But then he was like, well, I gotta I want to call my mom and my girlfriend and I think she's still my girlfriend. I don't, but my phone doesn't I need my phone activated? And I was like oh, and he's like, it shouldn't be it should only be thirty dollars, but he had whatever, I paid sixty dollars to activate this phone. And then and then he was following me. Was he just was fu he wanted a friend. I really think that's it. At no point did he try and intimidate me, but I, yeah, I pay. I went into the boost mobile store or whatever and paid his phone bill, and then I came home and I'm like, man, I'm a sucker or I did a nice thing. I don't know, but I could be both, could be both. Yeah, can we just agree that you can be both.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I think it's really nice. I think if that guy did such a good job convincing you with props and with good stories and with the kind of you're the first part, it's a great it's good writing to start it with, like you're the first person I've spoken to outside of jam really grabbed me with that one. Yeah he did, and that is he That's a sixty dollars idea right there. So you know what, I don't think this guy, in the large scheme of things, scammed you, because there are people who are being paid for scripts that are one thousand percent less interesting than what that guy presented to you on the street as active living, I don't know, performance art to get you to help him.
Speaker 2: And it worked. It was for sixty bucks you started writing it. Yeah, you're right, it was. Yeah, let's just look at it as a good idea. But I do remember, you know, buying carpet cleaner from a guy, door to door guy when I lived in a house with only wood floors, because he had a skin on his shirt and I felt bad for him, and then I was immediate buyer's remorse, of course, because I had no carpets, and I remembered it being an expensive solution. And then to another time, also I get I was intimidated, and I just wanted to diffuse the situation by being the coolest guy. I'm like, yeah, man, I'll pay your bill. Like maybe I was a little scared. There was another time I was coming home and this time it wasn't it wasn't gloves, it was a burrito. I was just holding a burrito. But it was dark, and this guy came up to me in the shadows and was like, hey, I'm us I have an iPad and some iPods and a laptop, and I'm like, are you. I don't want to buy any electronics. And then he was like, well I have a knife. It's like, oh, that you're selling or that you might stab me with like it was a a And then.
Speaker 1: Did he answer that question? Sorry, old No.
Speaker 2: He didn't say yes, I might stab you. He just said I just said Look, because I wanted everything to be cool. I'm like, I'll just give you the money I have in my pocket, and then next time I see you, maybe I'll buy that iPad because at the time I didn't have an iPad. And and he's like, okay, cool, Well let me know. And then he gave me his phone number, so I had his phone number. I was kind of like subtly mugged, but I then had his phone number.
Speaker 1: You also helped the mugging yourself by basically volunteering yes the money.
Speaker 2: You didn't. This guy had a tattoo and its arms of bleeding boxing gloves. Okay, it was two boxing gloves with blood dripping on, so that if you have that tattoo, I know you can out box me. You can disable me, put me to the ground, and take all the money you want on your own. I really wanted to eat that burrito.
Speaker 1: Did the burrito? Also? He came from the shadows, always bad, always for vampires.
Speaker 2: And the next night was maximum fun con and so on stage. I was like, yeah, this guy gave me his phone number. Everyone text him, MATI are you selling any iPads? And so all of a sudden he got like sixty five texts from the audience. But it's sort of backfire because then he is like, who the fuck is this? He started threatening people. I was like, oh, yeah, I forgot to mention he was kind of scary, and then I felt bad all these sweet podcast fans of Jordan's so sorry, Jordan's sorry, Max fun Con.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't I feel like presenting this story this way. I feel like you want me to participate in it with you and help you unwind it a little.
Speaker 2: I wanted you to yell at me.
Speaker 1: Did you. Yeah? Well, what I'm saying is, next time you walk on the lit side of the street, get a little more of a lady lens going on your life. Yes, we don't walk near the shadows at night. I would go get a burrito. That's not the side of the street we walk on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was nighttime. I don't know why I was looking for.
Speaker 1: Shade you were. You were like, we're I'm going to go under this bridge. Well, you know what, I think both of those the second guy was mugging you, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very casually, because he mentioned the knife and I did out loud say to sell me or stab me with and he kind of shrugged.
Speaker 1: And I was, how much would you give me for it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Your life? How much is your life work?
Speaker 1: Were seventy five dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do get I intimidated by boxing glove tattoos. I let a guy in my driveway in Austin. He I had a dent in the back of my car, and he came to the door. He's like, I'm going to fix that dent and he just started working on it. And I just wanted to be like, stop, I don't want you to bondo the back of my car. But then I saw his boxing boxing gloves. He also had a boxing glove tattoo. I'm not kidding. I'm just now realizing two different guys that have taken advantage of me. Because then he drove me to an ATM and he wanted more money than he quoted. But I saw that boxing glove thing, and you know, I've been I can handle myself, Karen, Well, I've been, and by that I mean I've I've been punched many times. I've had my nose broken a couple times, and I didn't fall down. I just kept running my.
Speaker 1: Mouth like Chris Rock. You Chris rocked it where you took the hit and you turned put your hands behind your back.
Speaker 2: My composure is on a Chris Rock level. Every time I've been punched, I immediately come out with a joke like, oh, did a fly just land on my nose? Or did some grandma just hit me? That was one I used once. Nothing against grandma's, but it was a different atmosphere. It was the early two thousands.
Speaker 1: It was the early two thousands hitting on old people constantly. In the early two thousands, we made them wrap, we made them dance to youth music. It was horrible. There's a lot of elder abuse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Confused about where the beef was.
Speaker 1: Yes, ugh, making old ladies talk about beef constant when I was like earlier than the two thousands.
Speaker 2: But still yeah, sometimes I confused the early two thousands with my early early childhood.
Speaker 1: I want to say this though, about the people who you can't tell if they're mugging you or giving you a hard sell. This is also happened to me twice. Yeah, and one time It was in an office building, and it was like right when I was starting a job, So it was in this weird kind of empty office building and this I heard the elevator ding and then the guy walked into my office and was and basically sold me a pre bought spot package where it was like one hundred and fifty bucks for all these spa treatments. And he was cute and he was like he was almost like a camp counselor where he immediately squatted down by my desk and it's like you look like you needed this, you and it was this hard cell that I was like, I just I had no choice. It was like there was no there's a way people do that it manipulatively, the way they speak where you don't get to talk, you don't, there's no it's just statements he's making about what you want and what you're doing and what you need, and you get pulled right into it. And then oh you're when you finally do get to participate. What you're gonna do is write a check for one hundred and fifty dollars and I literally did it. He left my office and then I picked up the phone and called by bank and said, I don't know what just happened, but I need you to cancel this check.
Speaker 2: Did it too? I got a bunch of magazines and you had to find a phone number. I'm like a stop, I don't want Field and stream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got routed by somebody who's good at what they do. And also the jail guy. I like kind of respect the jail guy because I feel like there might be a grain of truth to that story. Yes, he has the right, and that's a person just saying hey, look I'm in need and I'm trying to make you care about it somehow.
Speaker 2: I asked him, I don't think that's bad. No, Actually I felt good that that was a different situation. Yesterday. He was a sweet kid and he went through some something scary, and he actually kept saying how scary it was. Also, he said sugar Knight was in the jail. He's like, yeah, they haven't sent him to prison, he's just in the jail. County, I guess, so I called it county too, and he looked at me like, maybe they only call it county in movies. That's the sheriff's office. What do you I don't Yeah, I think we're right, though, it would be the sheriff County jail.
Speaker 1: Or maybe just the the city prison. I don't know what it's called Downstown. I have never been a I don't know anything. Yeah, Sam, but he did say he started to tell me. I maybe even asked like, what did you do?
Speaker 2: Was it stabbing someone with your left front pocket knife? And no, he just said he didn't really tell me. But he said he was walking by a gas station and these people start making fun of He said people were making fun of me. One of them called me Michael Jackson because I was wearing a hat. And anyway, he just kind of turned changed the story. But I think someone died because he kept talking about all the other He said, murderers and everyone in there has killed someone. And I'm like, you mean like you. But then in his back.
Speaker 1: In three years, I don't think if.
Speaker 2: He actually were well God, he said he told me that the other night, an old man came in from Beverly Hills and he said he was like in his eighties. We talked for a long time. He said he was in his eighties. And the guy just came into jail saying, I killed my wife. I killed my wife. And and then I so know and he's like, well, it sounded like the wife was old and confused and had a knife and attacked him or that was his story. But he was very he was crying. I was like, I got to get out of this place. But but yeah, he he did have in the bag being crushed by the Bible, his Michael Jackson hat. Like he was dressed like Michael Jackson that night. He's like he had a purple like hat on, like a whatever you call those hats, a fedora, thank you, See, I'm so cool. I don't even know what they're called. But yes, I've bought a fedora. I thought it would look good and then I quit wearing it. Or I gave it to charity, just in case you were wondering if I ever got caught up in this for Dora Craze, I knew you were going to ask.
Speaker 1: That, just anticipating all these yeah, all these things. You know what that makes me think of is when I used to live. I had an apartment on Grace Avenue, which was off of Franklin above Hollywood Boulevard. It was in that weird little pocket where it's actually super dangerous, and there used to be like there was like a herd of stray cats, like a hundred because there were old ladies that would feed these cats. So they would just kind of come around and be in this driveway. Anyway, I bet I walked down there.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just saying. I bet I could have picked them up and petted them. Anyway, carry on, maybe yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Have the gift gift. But I was walking down to get like whatever kind of basics at the at the drug store that was down on Hollywood, which is Hollywood Boulevard, like this shitty part and literally literally and figuratively. And I left the drug store and they went across the street because it was one of those super cheap sunglasses stores where it was like remember it would be a wall of sunglasses is like like hundreds, and they were all like five dollars or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. You strike me as someone and I'm only we've now never done this together, but I bet you like to put on different sunglasses and laugh and turn and do different characters wearing the glasses. I can see you about these.
Speaker 1: I love to say, what about what about me? And these? I'll yell at the top of my life. So I'm standing there, and this was like mid nineties, right, so it was all those rectangular black frame sunglasses with like red lenses or green lenses or so. I was like, oh, I need a new pair of these sunglasses. And an old lady came up to me with a huge smile on her face and just stood right on my left side and I turned and looked at her, and then she goes hello, and then I'm scared. It's like yeah, and then I was like hi, and then she walked away. And then I went to buy my sunglasses and the twenty dollars bill that was in my pocket was gone. There are people, and it's Los Angeles, you know what I mean. It's like a pretty big city. I think there's scam artists and not. I think what happened was she saw a twenty dollar bill sticking out of my pocket and then just came right up and was like, yep, I'm gonna be right near you. You'll see me so that you won't think I'm doing anything.
Speaker 2: And I'm yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think there's various and sundry scammers to all levels of scammers from the truly like hey, I don't know what to do and I'll just tell you my story. And maybe that story worked once and now it's worked five hundred times. It's the same exact story, sure, Or it could just be like a person who's just like a little bit of a pickpocket and knows to keep their eyes peeled for dumbasses like me who like keep their cash in like a loose pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like to hang it off like a dancing girl.
Speaker 1: I mean, I truly didn't mean to, and I was so angry. I was like that fucking old lady. I was gonna have a pair of new par of sunglasses and fifty dollars change, and now I have zero things.
Speaker 2: Think back to those glasses, though, aren't you glad you didn't buy them?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, here's what I know for a fact about those sunglasses from the nineties. There was absolutely no UV protection in that glass. It was plastic, So you were basically shading your eyes and making your pupure, opening your so that the sunbeams could go directly in and get.
Speaker 2: You into your iris, and then reflecting like an upside down drawing of a tree off the back lens of your eyeball, shooting it back to the image to the back side of your cornea, where then the image is reversed again back to normal size. It's only upside down for a second.
Speaker 1: Where eye bough, Where are the rods and cones in that we're firing?
Speaker 2: Most of them are firing. Some are in your brain when you get anxious, rods and cones firing your brain. And then also it is the rods and codes firing, and and they are little loud explosions. Oh you can actually hear them. And those happen in your eye, and that is what expands your pupil or iris, or the everything expands, letting in more light.
Speaker 1: Petit the French call it the petite explosion.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is sure. I had the dumbest joke when I was younger about the the the anvil, the stirrup and the hammer. The bones in your ear now obsolete, no one, they have no purpose anymore. But a lot of people don't know that when hundreds of years ago in our ears lived a tiny little blacksmith who'd make horseshoes for our cavities. I actually used to say that as a joke, and wonder why I was having trouble on stage and.
Speaker 1: On stage, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I took that to the stage. It was a finished joke here and it was finished. It was ready for the to be hot off the preas. I've always loved the idea of many things, as you know, I can't stop talking about it. But a tiny blacksmith that is working on the because why isn't an anvil and a hammer and stirrup? That's all horse horseplay.
Speaker 1: It's all that's all horseplay, for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think we're going to keep getting taken advantage of because I am unable to do that. And maybe I just admire it in someone else because they tried to teach us those talking points where the only answer can be yes, here's my checkbook back when I selling knives or selling coupon books and I hated it. I hated doing it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think some people are definitely built for it, because I think there's some people, like sensitive people, people who pay attention to what other people do and say and are concerned about that. Yeah, they can't do it because they're too locked into the response they get. Whereas there's other people in this world who literally I really could give a shit about other people. They might not even be sociopaths. They might just be a little bit hardened or had whatever, you know what I mean, it's or there that's with how their parents were or whatever. So they don't they have no shame, I guess. So it's like they'll say or do anything to get their way. And when you have that like kind of behind you know, that engine behind you, plus like yeah, you really do need to get that phone turned on, or say you really do need your own fucking brito, You'll do it and you'll get it done.
Speaker 2: You know. Oh I forgot. Also when he went to activate the phone, he didn't know the number. I'm like, ah, this might be a stolen phone. But then the woman said is the name on it light? And he said yeah, Crystal. And then I was like, wait, your girlfriend's name is Crystal Light. And he didn't get it or understand why I was laughing, but.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: No, I guess I don't know. He was in for a while, Crystal Light. That again, that's a thing that that we believe in Crystal Light, because it believed in us.
Speaker 1: We believe in us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was when was that the eighties? This guy was shorn in probably nineteen ninety or nineteen eighty or so. I don't know how old he was.
Speaker 1: He had part of it, like the other part of it is he left fucking jail and at nowhere to go and no one to call and nothing in his pockets, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I did, I did the right thing.
Speaker 1: That seems like a bad setup.
Speaker 2: Even if he wasn't, even if it's a scam, even if he walks around because he, you know whatever, he needed the phone activate or did I activate a stolen phone? I don't know who cares? Well, he's my friend now. And he also wanted me. He said, maybe what's your Instagram handle? Maybe we can hang out or you can make me dinner, because I said I have to go home. I have to I'm making dinner. I kept saying that, and uh, anyway, invite himself over for dinner. So maybe I did.
Speaker 1: Because he knows you're going to say fucking' yes, Chris.
Speaker 2: What is wrong with me? Why can't I I'm so tired of getting steamrolled again. This was a situation of being charitable. I'm not ashamed of it.
Speaker 1: No, it's a decision you made. But hey, look, also, this is us being out in the world again, Like, did you have that whole conversation mask free. That's a that's a right change. There's all kinds of things happening that we're not prepared for.
Speaker 2: The funny thing was he's like, yeah, I can't believe. He said something to the effect like what had how how have things been? And I'm like, well, you were in jail at the perfect time. The last three years have been I mean, we've all been locked in our everyone was kind of it was a perfect time to be in jail. No one was able, the streets were empty, and he's like what, I'm like, yeah, no one was driving like downtown, no cars. Like I get he wasn't getting those visuals. I'm sure they watched the news, but he did. He knew COVID was happening, but the details he was fuzzy on because he again was locked.
Speaker 1: In making up new lies to tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Actually he was distracted by trying to memorize your credit card number that he could see.
Speaker 2: He did drive off into Mercedes. Is that a bad sign? And the license plate said you sucka on?
Speaker 1: It said thanks dummy, pH and ex dummy.
Speaker 2: He honked his horn and the horn went you're a dummy.
Speaker 1: Actually, that happened one time there. When I lived in the Upper Hat, there were a little like kind of fake punk rock kids. It was like nineteen ninety one, and they would all sit in the Upper Hate and literally they were just kind of on drugs and you know, wearing kind of shitty clothes. They had a lot of piercings and fucked up hair, and they would like literally just had their hand out but like, you know, sweatshirt on. So they're like all in their sweatshirt, but like gimme. And I just remembered being on my way from the gap to my second job and being like fuck you. And I watched one kid who was just like, oh, like that, and then he got up and got into one of those old two thousand and two BMW's and drove away. I was like a fucking piece of shit.
Speaker 2: That is Yeah, I used to see that. I can't remember. There was a name for the fake the kids pretending on Guadaloup in Austin, right by ut that was a great place for them to And yeah, a bunch of them got picked up in a nice suv. Granted it was someone's mom probably, but yeah, yeah, to see him actually get or the guy that's a cameo in every movie that plays guitar while roller skating, and he wears that turban and he's like in La Story and anytime there.
Speaker 1: Was like, he's like a Venice Beach guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an establishing shot that says you're in California. They would go to Venice Beach and probably call him up. He was in so many movies, and I saw him packing his and he's talented and as sweet man by some as far as I know. I saw him getting into a very new Mercedes in Nispe after a day of But he's out there every day, you know, just playing and busking, busking and skating. He's skating and strumming.
Speaker 1: Live talent for tourists. I mean that they pay. It's good money.
Speaker 2: He should have a Mercedes.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I just remember those movies has Mercedes? Why can't he?
Speaker 2: At the time, I was taking the bus and I also had borrowed a Mustang that while I drove it, I had to hold on to the convertible top because it would fly off. I drove that to that Reality Bites Back show. Every day I was holding onto the roof of my car while steering to go all the way out to some and then everything changed, and I'm glad that I had that experience, but boy, it sucks to not have a car. The end.
Speaker 1: No, we're doing a podcast, so we're not we're not doing any endings conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right, Yeah that's not the end. Do you not get down, not turn off your devices because I saya the end?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not. It's not the case. It's not what's happening. No, well, I mean I do think it's really it's just weird because it's almost like the war in Ukraine started and then everyone now is pretending like summer's starting and that COVID is over and everything's normal. Like there is a very distinct kind of like this is what we're doing now thing. So like I went to dinner with my friends at that awesome restaurant Kismet over unless Feelis, and the waiters still were wearing masks, but everybody else wasn't, and everybody was out. I mean, there's just people fucking everywhere, and it is this weird. I don't know. I'm just bringing it up because I think it's a really I'm very excited that it feels different. I don't trust it of course either. But it is that kind of thing where I'm like, oh, yeah, like hopefully they'll just be like shows or things to do or like ways to regroup again if this is all actually happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, part of me is safely looking at it like a little vacation between variants. But it also when you see people not like because of things like Ukraine or it happened before, when they murdered George Floyd. Everyone, it was like, it's a celebration of like, we're not the most important thing right now, Let's go out and celebrate life because something else is happening that's more important than not us worrying about ourselves. There's something healthy about it, but a lot of it is just people taking advantage of that and they're like, great, I get to go and try and make out with people in the streets.
Speaker 1: You know, there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: Hey, That's why it was, Yeah, making out in the streets, go do it.
Speaker 1: I'm just excited to get to go out to dinner again because I don't cook. Yeah, and I'm tired of all the places I've been ordering from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. Yeah, it was the fact that I was calling restaurants, getting ingredients going down, getting them coming home. That's as crazy I was getting. But yeah, I don't want to use order food to my house anymore. I really don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: The problem with me is is I know that there's plenty of fine choices and even healthy choices. Yeah, but by the time I'm actually ordering, it's always seven point thirty, Like it's always way past the point where I should have started to eat or think about it. So I'm tired, and I'm hungry and grumpy and low blood sugar, and so I'll always in that scenario, I will always order a cheese based dinner, which is like the worst case, it's the worst thing you do.
Speaker 2: And for cheese to be the main, the actual bass of the meal, a bed of.
Speaker 1: Cheese built on it, there needs to be several layers of cheese.
Speaker 2: You're talking about lasagna, right, there's I mean, just.
Speaker 1: Me garfielding out. Every day is Monday over.
Speaker 2: Now what day of the week is it?
Speaker 1: It's always money.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, yeah, it's definitely definitely lasagna.
Speaker 1: Just ridiculous, I don't know. And also because it was so hot today that it's like ooh, summertime, there's there's just I think cheese. It's cheese. I want hot cheese and watch other people eat cheese.
Speaker 2: Spectator sport cold frozen cheese on a stick and lick it like a lollipop.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wonder if there is some Oh, I guess yogurt. Frozen yogurt is kind of cheesy.
Speaker 2: Oh that I don't ever want that. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat frozen yogurt again. That's a good thing, though, because tcby is a that memory of what a big deal it was to have frozen yogurt for the longest time. Oh yeah, that was such a big deal and I never got it.
Speaker 1: That's because you don't dyet. It's it's basically you can have ice cream with less calories.
Speaker 2: And less Okay, yeah, well I think it's all ruined for people. Now that you've you've invented the cheese flavor frozen yogurt, Now.
Speaker 1: That I've got to invented mozzarella yogurt, it's ruined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we sell it, but if you want to get technical, this cheese stuff is not the country's best yogurt.
Speaker 1: It's also wasn't it either The country's best or something. Thank god.
Speaker 2: Wait right, it's an acrony.
Speaker 1: I can't believe there was something like not being able to believe it's yogurt.
Speaker 2: I can't, but that would be ICB. Why I can't believe it's not yogurt?
Speaker 1: Are you thinking of I can't believe it it is yogurt.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm having a Yeah, I just feel like I know exactly what you're talking about. But I feel like if we go any further, we might look dumb.
Speaker 1: Oh. I think it's happening right this second, since the beginning.
Speaker 2: Of this pot taking care of business yogurt. Yeah, taking business, taking care.
Speaker 1: To Oh no, they Tony can't believe yogurt.
Speaker 2: That's what I also was intimidated by a guy once with a taken care of Business tattoo because he was in Elvis's karate.
Speaker 1: Chris, I think you're blaming tattoos.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm shaming bad doorbell motor tattoos when it choires in prison. But a lot of the ideas are bad and they're just out there to make guys like me hand over the money.
Speaker 1: Hand it over, look at the bloody box and glove.
Speaker 2: I just tattoo of handed over on your arm and you just roll up your sleeve.
Speaker 1: You flex your muscle, hand it over.
Speaker 2: Let's just get to the point, hand it over backwards.
Speaker 1: I wonder, though, everybody, having been locked in their houses for two years, if if on the street scamming is like at an all time high, because I honestly, if somebody came up to me, it was like, you're the first person I've talked to you out of jail. I would have probably done exactly what you did. Yeah, it's not like I would have been like, oh really, peace out or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have said peace out. I don't know why I said it now.
Speaker 2: And then and then slide down your blue lens glasses wink peace out with peace sign. He also just got me in a good mood a lot, and I feel bad about it everything we all do when someone comes up and they are down and out. But I gotta go. I have one thing to do today. I can't stop. Yes, and I do do that, and then I feel bad or I go back. But this time, yeah, there was nothing I was in. I was the only one in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he picked you. Also, Yeah, if it's in a parking lot.
Speaker 2: That's bad too, Yeah, yeah, but there was other people around. He at no point he was actually had He looked like he was happy to be out of jail and wanted to celebrate, but you know, he also just had a kind face there. I don't know. That's what I was going to tell you is okay.
Speaker 1: Years ago, sorry, but years ago, I read this really good article in The New Yorker about a guy who had a very similar thing happened to him where a girl. He was walking down the street and a girl walked up and she was kind of crying and she kind of made eye contact but then like whatever, and she was like looking around and seeming upset, and so then he went, are you okay? And she was like, I just and it was like this story where she like I just rented this car and I and like I gave this guy cash so I could rent this car, and da da da, and she tells the story about how basically this guy ripped her off yea, and she was then stranded in Manhattan and and she's like, I'm trying to call my mom. She lives in Queens and she's not picking up the phone or whatever, and so's it's basically like, she needs to take a cab to Queens, she needs a hundred bucks, and he gives it to her. And then like three months later, he's walking down the same street and he sees her in exactly the same scenario, half crying the whole thing, and he walks up. Yeah, and he walks up to the guy she's talking to and says, she got me three months ago. This is all a scam. And and then she immediately was like fuck you and then just turned around and walked away. And he couldn't believe it because he entirely bought into this world and it was very easy to buy into this world. And then he was so like it was kind of about how he felt bad because yeah, this is her job and this is like how she makes money. But at the same time, he's like, I got scammed. At least let me keep you from getting scammed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, that would be That's everyone's dream is to catch especially after you've been robbed, you know, to catch someone do if I could have caught someone going into my garage to steal my bike they bent up the door, if I just had gone out and saw them and went, oh, hello, it looks like you're breaking into my and then they just run away. It would feel so good to catch.
Speaker 1: Someone, but we never do unless then they turn around and hold up their arm and they're not terrifying noun chuck tattoo.
Speaker 2: I just made it worse. Ooh a tattoo of bloody nun chucks.
Speaker 1: No, I gotta do it both my bike.
Speaker 2: A flash page of the most intimidating tattoos.
Speaker 1: Good idea. Yeah, I will have about a roaring cat, a hissing cats.
Speaker 2: Are you sure it's not a cat that enjoys the time of the nineteen twenties Rory Felix the cat over. Yeah, yeah, I'm not at my best behavior.
Speaker 1: Karen, what happened?
Speaker 2: No, I just keep you know, my brain, My brain's on the fritz.
Speaker 1: You know why we can't stop.
Speaker 2: Thinking of James Fritz?
Speaker 1: None of us can. He's America's sweetheart? Is It's because we podcasted yesterday used all our talking energys.
Speaker 2: Have you been? Theft? I have said, is my least favorite crime. I can understand murder and things like that. People can kiss you off, but theft, actually just taking someone's thing. It really bothers me. Not from a store, I guess as much. But robbing people, I really hate it. When did you went to your last When were you last robbed? H classic? Well, anyone ever break in your house?
Speaker 1: No, not that I know of. That's why I got my dog, George. When I got her, when I was living by myself after I came back when I got divorced, went off to work in New York and then Chicago, and then came home and realized it's just a target sitting here waiting to be and had all these It was fucking Burbank. It was like it wasn't happening.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was a nice that was a nice neighborhood.
Speaker 1: But that's when I got George. And that's and basically a really loud, kind of lunatic dog bark most most things away.
Speaker 2: Most people me away too. I don't want a loud, insane barking. Well, I'm just that's something I need to get over because I need an animal around in my life. I need to get over the mea in the barking thing. Did you know I had a thing about that? Nope, Nope. I can't take it, Karen.
Speaker 1: Either, because that's all it is. That's all you it do with.
Speaker 2: I have been very lucky in my life to be only affiliated with quiet, non me owing, non barking cats and dogs. I don't know why. It wasn't something you know that they learned. Just you can get lucky. Sometimes there's a quiet, thoughtful animal in your life, and I'm there for it. Am I coming out of left field with a lot of the stuff. I'm off, yeah, yeah, yeah. Do you think people are going to listen and be like, oh, Chris is office rocker today. I mean, we'll get it, we'll get it, we'll get a rhythm going. And then here I come out of nowhere with that just snooze festival change.
Speaker 1: Because let me answer your question that you asked me about being right, rab uh.
Speaker 2: This is why I'm back.
Speaker 1: I honestly thought you were. I thought you were literally circling back to feline aids again, and I was just like, I don't know if I can sit here.
Speaker 2: I told you at the top of the show, I'm going to mention feline aids every episode. I was just ramping up to it, but we might as well say it now. I had a cat once that feline aids in the game is quite a surprise. Not enough people have heard about it. I've gotten actual threats. Please stop talking about feline aids now.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I was going to tell you a story about about thinking I was being robbed and actually not being.
Speaker 2: Robbed, and I steamrolled in and I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry because you're fine, because because we lived in a terrible part of Sacramento. This was when we lived in the house that was next door to the serial killers, Dorothea Poenti's house, and she had only been arrested a couple years before you.
Speaker 2: This is something you talked about on your other podcast. I do not know about Dorothea Puente's.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me just I'll brief you quickly.
Speaker 2: Okay. Great.
Speaker 1: She was very an old gal, and so she's probably in her seventies I think, and she looked even older. She ran a boarding house for almost like a halfway house, and it was always for it was only for people who were on Social Security and oftentimes they were either very old, they didn't have anyone to take care of them, or they were somehow in need of extra support. And she basically made sure what was happening was that their social Security check was being mailed to their house to her house, which is where they lived, and then she would kill them, buried them in the backyard, and keep collecting their social Security.
Speaker 2: Did she catch the check?
Speaker 1: I guess I'll tell you right now. No, No, you can ask me. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a bar across the street, a total hideous dive bar that even at our most insane and alcoholic we would not go into this bar. And it was it was eighty feet away from our front door, and that's how scary it was. She would go in there and they would cash all those checks. So they'd cashed all social Security checks from anybody.
Speaker 2: That you think when she went in, they're like kill another one. Huh.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think they thought she was a trustworthy old lady and they were doing her a service by helping her because she lived across the street.
Speaker 2: Wow, is what I think.
Speaker 1: And then that this surprise when she got caught was the last person. I actually covered this on the podcast. When she got caught, The last person who she was taking care of had a bunch of people around him that really cared about him, that were like, nowhere is he for real? Where is he someone's cashing his checks? Where is he, and they finally caught her. No one has suspected it, and they dug up that backyard, which we could see from our back porch. We seek into the yard. There it was. She got caught and arrested, and they dug up the backyard. I would say a couple years before we lived there, but we could see the backyard. Oh okay, So that alone was scary enough because there were heat she literally had buried I think five between five and ten people in that backyard.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Insane, just crazy. So anyway, that's the neighborhood we lived in where literally one night we had to start yelling at a guy because he was beating his girlfriend with an old vacuum cleaner. And across the street they just would people would dump garbage, so that the across the street was an empty lot filled with random garbage. So a guy just picked up like an old broken vacuum cleaner and started hitting his girl from one of the way.
Speaker 2: Karen, I just want to say that sucks.
Speaker 1: Boo.
Speaker 2: I know, I Hey, jokes.
Speaker 1: Are great, but a lot of people like no, no, people do.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying it sucks to do that. That's all I'm saying. I don't know why you're saying serious.
Speaker 1: Don't pretend that you're not. I don't pretend that you're not doing an ice cream killing joke, like you're literally doing a joke. I will pretend find you will, and you still you continue to It is bad to do. So one night, I'm pretending parked on the street in this neighborhood and the car battery to my Volkswagen died. And I was really drunk because I had been at a bar and I was trying to drive home and it was but it was like very close by. It was like two blocks away or something. And I was sitting there and a guy ran up. It was like he knew I was in trouble, but he was on so many drugs that he didn't know how to handle. He didn't know how to take advantage of me.
Speaker 2: That PCP run.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: On PCP. A lot of guys have superpowers. They try and take on a bunch of cops or run from a helicopter. Oh, usually PCP that makes you run. That's the drug that makes you run.
Speaker 1: This guy was like, yeah, it was a little more. He thought he was organized in his thoughts because he was pretending to help me jumpstart my car, but he didn't have a car, and I was kind of a little bit slow, and I was just kind of like sorry, wait what and he was doing all this stuff to my car and then I was like, oh shit, I don't know what this guy's doing. And he's, you know whatever, and then he just.
Speaker 2: Ran a car, like drumming on it and tapping and kicking.
Speaker 1: He had opened the back and he was like it was he was pulling the caps off the top of the battery. And then he took my jumper cables, hooked him up, and then like put him aside and went and did another thing and did all this stuff and then he just ran away.
Speaker 2: Oh he was it was.
Speaker 1: It was so weird. And I literally just unhooked the jumper cables, put him in my car and then like very slowly drove home of like whatever that was. You you basically just missed it by half of it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Do you feel like he went ran around the corner and laughed at the funny funny skit he did or was he not. He's like, I, she's so confused, and that is so funny.
Speaker 1: It could have been that it also could have been. Yeah, he honestly thought he had a car, and it wasn't until he went to or he thought, if he jumpstarts my car on another car that he can somehow get into that's parked behind me, maybe he can steal my car once the car's jumped. Something along those lines. I think then he just kind of gave up on the entire on the entire thing.
Speaker 2: You maybe thought it was his car. We've made that mistake.
Speaker 1: Someone else is in car.
Speaker 2: Yes, One time in Austin, I I got out, Okay, I got out of a grocery store and I was being picked up by my girlfriend and I saw my car. It was very a red Mustang two door, was like the car of Texas. I didn't I bought a car right before I drove down there, and everyone had this car. And I just got in the car, and the guy who was picking up his wife or he thought he was, didn't look at me. We just silently drove out of the parking lot. And then I was looking at the dash and there was like a triple A thing or a good Sam's Club sticker, and I just look up and there's this old man. It was so great, and I'm like, oh, We've made a mistake and he's like what oh, And then we laughed. We laughed so hard. I'm so glad that he just laughed. And then thank god. Yeah, we went back and there was there was Maggie in my car and his wife was standing there confused. They were about to act out their version because she thought it was the funniest thing ever. It was. It was right at the same spot. Oh man, what a joy? What did joy to remember?
Speaker 1: And that's a very like uber lift thing to happened, But you guys did it years before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it has happened to me and people have gotten in my car. It's like, I just have a black car. Get the fuck out. I'm very aggressive when it happens. Now you get the luck tattoos.
Speaker 1: Take some of that get the fuck out energy and bring it toward the scammers that approach you on the street.
Speaker 2: I need to bring it to my own door to door.
Speaker 1: Sales just a little bit. Don't go you know, not to quote thirty rock, but don't go to a second location with a scammer. If he needs to charge his phone, you give him thirty dollars and walk away and say God, bless on getting your phone. Yeah, you don't have to take on tasks.
Speaker 2: And errow was it was twice as much money. We thought it was going to be thirty anyway. But I did say at one point, I'm like, well, this is where we part ways, and that worked pretty well. You have to turn to an old cowboy.
Speaker 1: Yes, you also have to just say it. You have to do it. You have to like stop entertaining it for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but first give your phone number or Instagram handle. That's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you give him your phone number?
Speaker 2: No, he asked for it, and I said, no, let's do the Instagram thing. Because he did. He mentioned that first. For all I know, we become friends and he'll be listening to this episode by the time we posted, and I'll be embarrassed about my new friend who's coming over for dinner tonight. He was not yet. Yeah, I don't know. He was a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Look, look, we all got to be careful out there.
Speaker 2: These we do. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We're all we all haven't done anything. You know what I'm doing today. I'm actually going to the doctor today for the first time, just for a checkup before COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just going there's nothing wrong, there's no signs. Are you lethargic?
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's not why I made the appointment. No, No, I just I haven't been to the doctor in a really long time.
Speaker 2: Mind. If I pinch your skin to see if it stays in the same.
Speaker 1: Position, is that a good sign or a bad sign?
Speaker 2: It's a sign of dehydration and oftentimes feline as it is it is. Are you serious? Even as a kid, I would I would pinch my cat's skin to see if I guess we know all our cats had leukemia or something. It's it's the point is, don't put That's why I'm so quiet in a cat, That's why there was no mewing. Well, they're also just rampant disease. It helps them do better in the poise category of these shows. If you put your cat in a cat show, they will get leukemia or or. Feline aids are very similar actually, and it is. You don't get it from a fucking in fighting. You can just get it from another cat's sneeze. Chris, Sorry, I'm going to show so tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You're actually talking about feline aids again.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. I know you guys. Your good joke, I promised myself.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to dip out, dip back out.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. I'm just in a panic because I'm worried about your doctor's appointment. What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Uh, it's just that I haven't been to the doctor. So I'm like, I need some blood tests. I need to make sure there's nothing wrong with me. I mean, I've been in my house for fucking two and a half years. I don't know from any I feel tired, but maybe everybody feels tired or whatever, but there's nothing. And also I have to get a new neurologist because my my neurologist, who I've had for years retired and then I just kind of went, oh no, and so I have to get a referral. And I have to get my Caesar medicine redea.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, shit like that. Are you going to get any cameras put in any orifices?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: If I'm going to help, That's what I'm literally gonna do. I'm going to be like, Hi, I'm a man of a certain age. Give me all the cameras in all the uncomfortable holes, and please look at my eyeballs. Why am I needing different glasses strengths monthly? I want to do that too. It's important.
Speaker 1: They're getting worse by the monster eyes.
Speaker 2: Yes, my vision is declining. I'm not too worried about it, but I think it should stay the same poor vision, at least for a year, not increasingly worse.
Speaker 1: Incorrect because you don't know and you're not an eye doctor.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not an oologist. Well, well there's an optometrist and an optomologist. Now I want to make that mistake again and buy some glasses out need just because I was going to check out my eyeballs. You need them, though, Yeah I do, I do, I know, I do.
Speaker 1: Optometrists is the doctor, ophthalmologist is the is the glasses?
Speaker 2: Really I thought it was the opposite.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh wait it is the opposite.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is who knows?
Speaker 1: Oshomologist is the doctor. That's right, that's right. My mom used to work in the ophtalmology department, a kaiser. That's why I was using such a permanent voice. But actually I'm not an expert whatsoever. Yeah, and I won't let you interrupt me with that terrible ton. I will keep sucking finishing my sentence. Motherfucker, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I was curious. I was curious how long if they told her it was a temporary job, if she was tempting, that's all. I wasn't making a joke. Kaiser permanente happens to be the name of the place.
Speaker 1: Jeez, huh, just a weird coincidence.
Speaker 2: Why I jumped down my throat. Yeah, I want to get I want to I want to do what you're doing. I want to let's go to the doctor, everybody, it's time. We've been sitting here laying around.
Speaker 1: God, anything could have happened, anything growing on it.
Speaker 2: We could have mold in our ears.
Speaker 1: Want to be like, hey, will you just take some blood and let me know what's what's up?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Just like take some blood and see, yeah, who knows? Also middle aged? You know what I think it is? My good friend had a stroke and now he has lived a very full life, and you know what I mean, like whatever, yeah, but I kept thinking about it after he told me about it, where he's fine and he's like taking care of it and whatever, and he's now very healthy. But I was like, oh, that's right, we're just fucking middle aged and we have to care about things like this and pay attention to them.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I got a very sweet call from my dad that was saying it was time for me to get a you know, a proctology thing. And I think he's right, it's time we do that stuff. And by proctology thing, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: What I mean by a cameratology call, A little a sweet sweet.
Speaker 2: It was very it was very kind of him. It was just advice. He knows I'm already an adult. But he's right, it's time to do these things.
Speaker 1: He's checking in, he's making sure. Did you tell him about your eyes and the problems you're having. I don't want him to worry, but losing your eyesight is just part of getting old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what most people are saying. There's also a documentary about my hip device causing blindness, so I do go there.
Speaker 1: Did you watch that? And when you say documentary, do you mean a video on YouTube?
Speaker 2: No, it's on Netflix. It talks about a lot of bad implants like vaginal mesh is the most famous one where there was a settlement and there was a bunch of known ones, but my exact hip is featured in it, and I just had it put in. I still recovering, and there was a guy. But I talked to my doctor and he said it has to be There would be signs that your body is rejecting it. That happens because of a bad installation. And with you, we did a perfect thing. But I still in the back of my mind, I'm like that metal cobalt is still in my body. Apparently that's not supposed to be in a human body. Who knows. All I know is I can run like the wind. I just don't know where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Ah God, I don't know what's happened. But we can never record two podcasts in a row ever.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, have I been that bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I maybe you're right.
Speaker 1: Wait, that was a mean thing of me to say, no, no, really like that response. Oh no, it was like so delightful.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I've really really been that bad. Nuts I knew I was being a little bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, no, you're not being bad at all, but I know sure. But talking about medical ship, I started it. It's my fault. It's fucking boring as hell. Secondly, you're if you have I macular dew generation. If I may.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I've heard of that.
Speaker 1: That's happening anyway you can have. And also, my dad's had three different hip replacements. He's had all kinds of cobalt in his body, and his eyes are fine.
Speaker 2: So his likeliest titanium, but who knows, maybe he's got the cobalt stuff. It's the best.
Speaker 1: Well, he's had them all.
Speaker 2: That's my saying.
Speaker 1: He's he probably had the one that used to be mate of Tin.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: He's real old and he keeps getting his hips replaced, so you know he's gone through it.
Speaker 2: I don't care about. It's still the best decision I've ever made. But yeah, it is today's episode. It might be a snoozefest to some, but the people that already like us are going to listen to it and be like this was a little different. Is Chris drunk again?
Speaker 1: Can you go to a daytime party?
Speaker 2: I'm drinking water? Oh did I mispronounce vodka.
Speaker 1: Let's end this exactly at an hour. We're right there?
Speaker 2: Okay, cool? Yeah, finally, right, Uh, work for the I'm glad you're going to the doctor. I'm also going to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. You know what, this can be a running a running like bit house, Chris Chris's eyes doing, how did his proctology exam go?
Speaker 2: All of it? We can talk about it and going to get in the gory details. People love that stuff, could they sure do? Yeah? And uh and yeah and uh. I'm be careful out there. Don't trust the kind face of a stranger.
Speaker 1: All the things. We get some random blood tests when you're feeling tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're feeling tired, take care of that ship. And if someone is a sweet and beautiful person and they give you any kind of attention, you fucking run. That's lesson for Thank you you've been listening to Do you need a ride? Dyan? They are? They Are?
Speaker 1: This has been an exactly Right produced by Casey O'Brien.
Speaker 2: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 1: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y Nar podcast.
Speaker 2: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Listen, follow and leave us a review on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your.
Speaker 2: Podcasts, and don't forget. You can listen to new episodes one week early on Amazon Music or early and ad free by subscribing to Wondery Plus in the Wondery app.
Speaker 1: Thank you both.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.