Speaker 1: Have you.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, it's Matt and I'm very excited to let you know that my debut album, Have You Heard Of Christmas? Is out Friday, November three. Stream it everywhere in anywhere. You do that and order the vinyl online.
Speaker 1: Now. I've also got new merch and tickets to my tour at www dot Matt rogersofficial dot com starting December first in Philly and wrapping up December twenty third in New York City. Again, check out www.
Speaker 2: Dot Matt Rogersofficial dot com for all the new music, merch and tour info.
Speaker 1: Very exciting.
Speaker 2: It's officially Christmas, and now my gift.
Speaker 1: To you a podcast. Look mare, oh, I see you my own and look over there is that culture Yes, goodness, wow, last culture ding dong, last cultureistas calling. Both of us have had I would say a rough night.
Speaker 2: You had the Sunday scaries. You said I had the Sunday scaries. I've never heard you say you ever have the Sunday scary. I always have the Sunday scaries. It's really bad. I power through it, you know what I mean? Yeah, Well you must. In a high pressure environment where it's high octane, the comedy comes hard.
Speaker 1: And fast.
Speaker 2: It's not even about the work, it's just something about Monday. Yeah, it doesn't matter what is on the schedule. Hm, I'm freaking well. Can I do a people behind the curtain?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So you said to me outside that you have the Sunday scaries and I was like why, and I could sense that it was because you want to do a great job for Emma. I do want to come, I said, you have to Birthday twins to Birthday twins.
Speaker 1: Well, she's exactly two years older. Okay, Well, first of all, you're you're dating her. Oh no, I don't mean going out for dinner. It's me Emma ethan Hawk really on November sex that is so prestige and county. It's the only caliber I'll ever be in with them.
Speaker 2: Quickly googling that's not true, Ethnically googling March fifth Famous birthdays.
Speaker 1: You don't know this at the top of your head.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I think it's because it's kind of like lame. Oh my god, wait, no Oscar nominee Adriana Barazza Adrianna Babel of course? Wait wait was Adriana nominated the same year as Ringo K.
Speaker 2: Well, when you're in the same film. That's often what happens is you get nominated the same year. Oh my god, wait, Kevin Connolly of Entourage, I can okay.
Speaker 1: Wait, you are Babel and Entourage combined.
Speaker 2: Model Nikki Taylor Pendulette Pendultte, Talia Balsam, actress Talia Balsam.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: These are so Matt Rogers code is. I've always felt connected to actress Talia Balsam.
Speaker 1: Do you know who I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: I do know Talia bals She's sort of like in so many projects, but like not a household name, and I think, even disrespectfully, she's known to some as John Slattery's wife, which is true disrespect but she.
Speaker 1: Was his wife on mad Men.
Speaker 2: She was his wife on mad Men, and I think she got the row end of the deal there, which any woman dating anyone on mad Man was getting the wrong You're a woman on mad Man, good Luck unless your name was Peggy Olsen. You were arm candy periods. This is real culture number fifty nine. If you're a woman on mad Man, good Luck, unless your name is Peggy Olson otherwise your candy period period.
Speaker 1: It's a long one, yeah, but I think it was a true one. And this episode is going to be long but true. Yes, this episode.
Speaker 2: Is flirting with Honesty's own vibes because I wanted to say I wanted.
Speaker 1: To do people behind the curtain.
Speaker 2: We're doing people behind the curtain. It is Honesty's own vibes. I think we're both coming in on a similar like, oh hey, good morning girl wavelength and I think that's actually beautiful setup. So you had the Sunday scaries and didn't sleep. Yeah, I are going to be like Matt social to do a bit et cetera when I say this, and I literally agree, I'd forgotten to take my Lexapro for four days. I think what happened was I'm dumb and not that smart without tools to remind myself to take it and buy without tools to remind myself to take it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't literally just use my phone again on.
Speaker 2: A schedule, but I literally feel like you know, in like Mario Kart, where you get like the poison mushroom and you drive backwards when you try to drive forwards, and like this must be double dash because I don't know this girl. I don't know that mushroom.
Speaker 1: See even me trying to make that metaphor come across like to read like it's sort of but I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I feel like woozy down and I just I fear for what it's going to have me absolutely say on the episode.
Speaker 1: Am I going to be saying the truth? Honey?
Speaker 2: That's what I'll say you finally the truth. Finally the truth. I said to bowing off Air. I was like, I think you need to do The Actress part two.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's yeah, we're talking about m A. Stone.
Speaker 2: I think The Actress Part two would only disappoint. And it's no, it is such a perfect I'm not like gassing at my own work here, but it's like the way that that was conceived and written and made and shot and everything was like so pure and like it was me and Julio like coming together.
Speaker 1: I think he would admit to this.
Speaker 2: He would have to admit to it. Oh, he would proudly say it. No, he would say that. But I'm just saying, like, this is how I am with any sequel.
Speaker 1: M hm. You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I famously kind of hate when sketches are force fed on SNL as like recurring bits. I think there's been some amazing bits that just not for nothing, but kind of like overstay their welcome a.
Speaker 1: Touch, it's always diminishing return.
Speaker 2: And here's what I would say. The actress is not one of those things. And this is my pitch for the sketch. And am I dooming it by saying it probably won't happen if you say it on this Yeah, you kind of are doing it. But I think that's okay. I've already like rolled that out, so I pitched it and he's already ruled it down. Now now it's a safe place for me to pitch it here. I think this would be iconic. Everyone's gonna agree. The actress too. Starts with the actress that Emmastone plays in the first sketch. She's now hugely successful. We see like her boudoir is filled with oscars. She's got like six oscars, And I all say, what's her.
Speaker 1: Name in the schedule? Oh my god, does she not have a name? She does?
Speaker 2: Actually, no, she does have a name. She does have a name, and I just her name is Grace Grace.
Speaker 1: So we see that Grace, who is known in Hollywood mononymously as Grace. She has won six oscars, all for lead. Okay, she's Emma Stone, she's emistone a fifteen.
Speaker 2: Like, she's the biggest actress in Hollywood. And they come to her with a pitch for another film with Ty Mitchell, and she says, I don't know if I can go back to that place, and they convince her and we see her doing Lady Gaga method on the set, and I just feel like we all would love to rest into this world, and I have doomed it by pitching it here.
Speaker 1: No, you haven't. You have every ideas over here.
Speaker 2: No, if I get an idea from Matt, everyone must know that it's mana from heaven. To me, this is someone here. Can I just say, mind your manas Mondy Manna's Matt and I. You and I have not had a chance to really sit down and like dig into something creatively in a long time until recently. Not gonna reveal too much, but I gotta say I'm blown away by this girl. You are very good at this. You know what they say is if you want something done, give it to a busy person.
Speaker 1: When I'm in busy mode.
Speaker 2: You are the busiest you've ever been. Well, you were just in London. I would say that this wasn't a runway for that discussion, I do feel very busy. What I'm saying is I feel like I've been able to be productive because I'm already inuyzon.
Speaker 1: It's inertia, You're already in motion.
Speaker 2: Whereas and I don't know if you and the readers agree with this, but when I am given license to do nothing, I think I am the biggest waste of space on the planet, Like I will just lay around. And the way that I feel this morning because of how I treated my body yesterday with food and more like and the lack of inertia, I feel fifty eight years old this morning, and I think it's a little bit didn't take them meds a little bit ate very badly yesterday. Also, we drank last night at the game. We did because we were sort of at the Nets game sitting courtside. We were sitting court side and like Jack Nicholson, like Jack Nicholson and fucking Michelle Pfeiffer. I want to say, did I think she would look thumbing? Did they go to a basketball game together at one point in the nineties. I think they did maybe. And today this morning we woke up feeling like Julianne Moore at the game, that meme of her going, wait, really.
Speaker 1: Is there a meme I've heard about? You know the meme? I don't think I did.
Speaker 2: It's like they cut to her, it's like stars at the game, and she's like fully dissociating.
Speaker 1: Like speaking of Julian Moore it.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, well, your picture of the actress too reminded me of May December, like an actress playing an actress taking it so seriously, yeah, that's just May December in a nutshell. So I sort of said what I felt about my December. And I don't think we're gonna get into spoilers because May December is going to be widely available to watch, I believe Oncembers in a couple weeks or soon. Wow yeah on Friday, so very soon. But you can see it in theater. Is now your thoughts on May December. Let's just go and meebirth this bitch. I loved it. You know what I had to do what I saw May December and Denver at Landmark Strait's Artists and you went by yourself. I went by myself. This is a good solo movie theater. Oh, it's a perfect solo movie. The theater was full of I would say, lovely elderly people with taste, cephiles, cinophiles who for some reason still don't know how to behave at the theater. Well, let me guess, a lot of unwrapping of shit, a lot of talking, a lot of k so what I had to do. And also the sound was not turned high enough in the space. I was sitting in front of two women who were crinkling the fuck out of their plastics. There's not enough talk about crinkle culture. There's not We need to stop it with the crinkling.
Speaker 1: One of the rudest things you could do is a glip out of package and crinkle the night away. While Julian Moore is speaking, Obviously, they're very in the cure, very insecure. I'm very secure.
Speaker 2: So with your thoughts on her lisp, I admit it to you, and I it brings me great shame to say this. I did not clock that she had a lisp until two thirds of the way through the movie, until the end of Act two.
Speaker 1: You're so brave to sell your arms. Contra, you're a modern woman. You're a modern woman. So interesting how you're a modern woman doesn't have any s there's no lists. Yeah, no, she wanted that one to land boys can be hard, boy can be Hardy, can be hard, can be hard? I love that line.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of boys can be hard is a perfect so okay, not spoiler territory, but just to give some context for people.
Speaker 1: And this movie was written, I told you. I started reading the screenplay a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: It was on the black List, and people were like, oh my god, this movie the screenplay made December is crazy.
Speaker 1: Like everyone should read it.
Speaker 2: And I started it and then realized in watching the movie, it's like, oh, I this is familiar. It's about Natalie Portman play this television actress. I love how it's specifically she's a TV actress and not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Looking to break through in this independent film. So perfect. Yeah, informs so much about this.
Speaker 2: She wears a hat that I can only describe as a hat that an actress wears. She comes to this town. So basically it's based on like the Mary Kayla Turno scandal. Yeah, so basically, like it's about a woman played by Julian Moore who's married to fir student. Well that wasn't a student, it was that they were Oh, she ran a pet shop. She ran a pet shop and started fucking her employee, who was a teen boy. I believe he was in eighth grade. He was in the seventh grade. I got to mix up because there's not spoiler. At one point in the movie, he in the seventh grade writes her a card, yes for an assignment. So I for a second I thought teacher, But yes, so pet shop.
Speaker 1: She runs a pet shop.
Speaker 2: She starts fucking her child employee, and basically she goes to jail. But they get married, and so we meet them when Natalie Portman, who plays a TV actress who's going to play her in a film, has.
Speaker 1: Gone to this small, small, small like island town they live in to start show Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, small island town.
Speaker 1: It's by the water. In my head, it was a small island town.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it might have been like Hilton Head or something. But anyway, they're very isolated.
Speaker 1: In this town.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a comfortable place for them to live because they don't really get bothered, like you can imagine, like this woman has like been through obviously like international shaming because she's a rapist who is married to this child who's now a grown adult. They have kids, and Natalie goes to the town to shadow her and watch her because she wants to really do justice to her.
Speaker 1: In this independent film, She's playing Julianne in.
Speaker 2: And the relationship gets more and more complicated as the shadowing proceeds. There is a lovely layer that is not to I thought it was gonna be very heavy handed, but there's a great thing of like to it. There are like piano stings and like Lynchian like frames and cuts.
Speaker 1: It's to Hayes and it's very Toddy.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's very Todd Haynes, and I loved it, but yeah, what else is there to say? I'm the lisp, But yeah, I just didn't clock the Lisp because I was just so captivated, like everything melted away. I was just like, oh my god, I'm watching two people I love come together and do that.
Speaker 1: And then Charles Milton a revelation.
Speaker 2: Charles Melton has one scene in particular where I was like really really like overwhelmed by his talent. I was like, this is crazy, like between him, I guess, and Jacoba Lordie, It's like this year is like when you listen with two of them like are now being taken very seriously as dramatic actors, and with good reason, because I would say, like, even with Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman in this movie Killing It, and Natalie has a scene, one scene.
Speaker 1: In particular, Yes, she has a monologue.
Speaker 2: Scene where she's playing Julianne and like doing a monologue as her, which after Greta and I watched it, I turned to Greta and she was just like, I mean, if there was any doubt she is totally one of the best.
Speaker 1: That we have. And I was like, when Natalie snaps in, everyone else is found out. It's really compelling.
Speaker 2: But Charles Milton, I think, gives it the performance that you really remember because ultimately, Jamie Lee Curtis, this movie is about trauma, yes, and exploitation and how you really can't when something like this is inflicted on someone like it never leaves them. And yes, what do you think about it being classified as a comedy at the Golden PRS. I was thinking about that the entire time because Matt brought this up last episode with Seth Meyers.
Speaker 1: It's so jarring. I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: But I also am like I can't believe it's not getting more inwards buzz. It's kind of getting lost in the mix because everything else is sort of like, it's hard to market this movie. I guess to like a bigger award watching on Well. Weirdly enough, the Academy has always like had like a polite respect for Todd Haynes, but they've never gone kuckoo bananas over really anything he's ever done.
Speaker 1: Like Carrol kind of got nothing too.
Speaker 2: I mean, it got its nominations, and I think that the ones that got were like the inevitable ones. And I think that people obviously are truly fanatical about that movie, like there's a certain brand of gay that is their favorite film. And Carol's certainly great, cap blinnch Had is amazing, Rooney Mara is great. But this movie, I think maybe it's the subject matter. It's just a little dire and very uncomfortable, and you sort of leave the movie, especially the last scene, feeling really jarred because the last scene is is a reveal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe it to be a reveal. I think it's a reveal. I think that is the comedic thing. Yeah, it reminded me of Tar honestly, in many ways, many many ways, Like this is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes a turn at the end that you're like, and the whole thing it actually begs for a rewatch in many ways, the same way Tar did, because you watch it and you're like wait what yes, yes, and that to me, like I can honestly say, like where we're really calling this a satire and it is. I kind of get it as a comedy, but like it's just so weird to think about this subject matter being up against like what like no hard feelings and like.
Speaker 1: Right, like you know what I mean, Like you know, the Golden Globes is gonna be like jylaw and no hard feelings and like what Natalie in May December, Like honestly.
Speaker 2: Kinda Natalie is hilarious in it. She's hilarious, but it's not the kids. Are they all out of la not sexy enough?
Speaker 1: You're spoiling the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I am you. This is the thing about Matt he everyone listen up. She points the finger when it comes to spoiling. Oh, shut the fuck up, but you spoil. First of all, I would like to think what I do. Don't tell me to shut the pelsies, So how dare you? The other day I was I was at a party that was hosted by our friend Matt Whitaker, and I started singing a little bit and Jared turned to me from across the room and said, Matt, and he goes like this, like telling me that tell me the silence literally, And.
Speaker 1: I said, shut up, Yeah, Jared, that's not okay, don't. I would never do that to you. Have I ever told you to quiet down? Yeah, but not like I've never trauma way. I've never across the room.
Speaker 2: At an event been like, hey, that's we love Jared obviously, but that's well. Then he told me he was kidding. He loves my singing, but that's not the way to show love. Speaking of Jared, tonight, we are going to a screening of The Color Purple. Oh my god, I can't wait for you to see. I can't wait to see myself. I'm really excited. So did you know I didn't know much about this direct Let's buzzer woule a. So he worked on Blackest King. Oh and so I had never heard of him before. But then I realized, though I've obviously seen and enjoyed his work, and I am very I've always been excited because you know that I saw Fantasia on stage.
Speaker 1: Do the color person do you remember this?
Speaker 2: And then I think Taraji is kind of a perfect shug and all the buzz about the supporting actresses Aboutdanielle Brooks, who, to be honest with you, I've never been like super emphatic about but maybe it's just because I haven't seen her in the right thing. Sure I say this having seen all of oranges in New Black, but excited for that. But Orders to New Black is an interesting show because it was such an ensemble moment, like there was no person to really like focused your scope on.
Speaker 1: Some people like.
Speaker 2: Really popped to me in that show, and for some reason, like just Tasty was not one of the characters that was popping to me, Like I felt like, what was her name? God, it's been so long, but the one who's pregnant, who is like fucking the Yeah, yeah, yeah, Matthew.
Speaker 1: McGrory, Dia, Dia, yeah, Dia. Yeah. I loved that storyline.
Speaker 2: God, what a moment, What a moment to say, A simpler time Orange is the New Black is ridiculous, Yeah, but a simpler time.
Speaker 1: In many ways.
Speaker 2: Samir Wiley obviously breakout or prepawn Uzzoh. Remember when Laura Papon was giving like the performance. I remember literally saying like, Laura Propon is absolutely slanging on this show.
Speaker 1: I was like, maybe Scientology they got a point.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Olsen? What Elizabeth Olson? Sorry, sorry, sorry, Oh my god. I meant no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no Leon. I did not mean a dodger leone. I meant Peggy. I mixed up Peggy Olsen with Elizabeth What's what's her name? The actress who plays Peggy Peggy Peggy Olsen in Madmen. She wasn't in Orange of the New Black, but she's a scientologist. Oh oh, sorry, Elizabeth Moss.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth Moss.
Speaker 2: God, it's one of the great led It's one of the great scientology legends. It's so weird to think about people still dying on that hill because they're trapped in it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guess that's so true.
Speaker 2: But that just makes you go Wow. What Leah Remeny did was the bowler. It was the bravest thing you could possibly do. It was the bravest thing she did since unbuttoning her top button in second act to deliver a punchline. Oh my god, it was iconic and lea remedy. In second act, she unbuttoned her top button of her jeans and jeans you are a boob guy.
Speaker 1: Time we say, I love boom you.
Speaker 2: This is not the first time that someone with an impressive rack has been talked about by Bowen. I'm always talking about You're a boob kitties, I love.
Speaker 1: I'm a boob gay. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Culture number eleven is a boob gay? Should the title of that boob gay?
Speaker 1: Boob gay?
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna put this as a tribe on grinder, Yeah, boob gay?
Speaker 1: You know that one scorpio boob gay.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things to know about myself is that if I was born female, I would have a rats.
Speaker 1: I really would be not saying.
Speaker 2: Too much about my sister and my mother, but they're blessed with big old boobies, and I feel like I would have a huge rack if I were born female, And that's just something that that would be big tit bit a girl. Well, my name would have been Chelsea and I would have had huge tits. Do you think I'd still be here as a ghost?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think big tits are such they informed so much. Patty Harrison wrote a whole show about it. I love that show, you know what I mean. My huge tits huge because infected.
Speaker 1: Not fake, not fake. My huge HiT's huge because infected not fake. Everyone should go see My huge tits huge because infected not fake. I saw it at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. It was my favorite work that Patty has ever done, which is saying a lot. Yeah, I'm one of Patty's number one fans.
Speaker 3: By Racial Girl, by Racial Girl, Why am I giving away the show? Literally one part of the showy Racial Girl.
Speaker 2: She has a great song called the Biracial Girl, which she is Yeah, because the show really, she said at one point, the show is not about my huge tits.
Speaker 1: The show is about the fact that I'm biracial. You have to go see it. It's perfect. It's she's perfect.
Speaker 2: For her to do that at Fringe is so iconic. Greathouses well to fucking like lampoon, the whole idea of a Fringe show. It's like, fuck you for like making people like do shows about their identities.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they make them really want to do shows about their identities. They want to explore themselves. They don't make them, but they are sort of incentivized and encouraged to do that. Whatever we can cut this out. No one thing I'll say is that the way the theater like works, because commumed in the UK is so amazing, Like what I just did my shows at the Soho Theater, love them so great. Everyone there were so lovely. But you get reviewed, which would never happen in America, Like I would never like do a show and people would come.
Speaker 1: But it's weird.
Speaker 2: It's like the review culture in the UK and UK theater and UK comedy is so different than it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like you know they're coming.
Speaker 2: It's like it matters, like the word of mouth really literally does travel because of those reviews.
Speaker 1: It's just odd.
Speaker 2: It's just foreign to us as a yeah, as a culture where the arts are not subsidized. Okay, that's your call for subsidization, that's my call.
Speaker 1: Where were we talking about me December?
Speaker 2: Any I mean, I don't know. If there's much else society, then I would say I would give it a big old stream it, stream it and also see it, see it if you can this week. Anything else, I mean, here's the thing I would say. Bowen before we got on, said that he has a very sort of big I don't think. So I need to do today, And I'm told that we have to reserve comment on a certain Housewives franchise until the end. So the other one we can talk all the other ones, and I will say. My father watched Beverly Hills with me, So I was I was experiencing a lovely holiday moment, extended holiday moment with.
Speaker 1: My real housewives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I basically I had so much to do. I had to watch Salt Lake, Beverly Hills, and Miami. So I watched Miami first, and they were sort of half watching it with me. Then they both sat down. Both my parents sat down and watched Beverly Hills with me because I think there's like some in there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe because they know the women a little bit more, they're more famous. This is my dad's review.
Speaker 2: I kind of liked the one who I went through the divorce and lives in the small house Erica. Correct, he said, I liked the one in the hat Garsell Kyle.
Speaker 1: Kyle.
Speaker 2: Kyle was always very powerful when she puts a hat on right, and my mom said.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is about her, but I have a feeling she's not very nice. Oh, that's my mom's intuition. I trust Katrina.
Speaker 2: Then he said that he thinks Garcella is a good mom. Yes, and he said Jacks. He said he thinks that Sutton is quote unquote crushed in every scene, which means drunk. And I think he might have. I think he might. You know what I was saying about Sutton. The way she's speaking now is so it's setting off every alarm in my head because.
Speaker 1: She's going like this, she's something's different. She's talking down and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you want to have a sudden bone, But she'll be in the middle of an argument and something off, scaring the crap out of me. Yeah, there's something very scary about it. And name name him might have been like alcohol field. I'm sorry, it's not my place to see. I think that you might. I was like, I think she might be drinking.
Speaker 1: And then my dad.
Speaker 2: Goes, well, look at the tub in front of her. There's a huge cocktail in front of her in that name, I'm seeing like a giant paloma. There's something going on there.
Speaker 1: For sure. And then I think we all forgot Crystal was in the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when Denise Richards walked in, my dad turns to me and goes Denise Richards, which he knew was which I think is a reveal that he may have cranked it to her in the nineties.
Speaker 1: There ranked it.
Speaker 2: That's I'll say it. I think many straight men cranked it to Denise Richards in the nineties. And that's a rule of culture number seventeen. I think many straight men cranked it to Denise Richards in the nineties. You forgot iconic Bond girl, yeah, and iconic just hot woman, hot woman, wild things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Scary Movie three exactly, queen, she was so buddy and Scary Movie three.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No sex? What no sex?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she played the tru Yeah she was crushed.
Speaker 2: That is We bring up Scary Movie three once a month because it's iconic.
Speaker 1: I need to watch it.
Speaker 2: Some of the best It's like it's Airplane, It's like some of the best jokes, like yeah, I mean right now, I'm forgetting Cameron Manhew, I'm playing Cherry Jones and signs that role, and every and every time the camera comes back to her hat is bigger.
Speaker 1: To the point where she can't get into the car because her hat's so big. Why did they decide that was the bit? I don't know, but I want more of that, Need more of that? How says blank? Dude.
Speaker 2: Dudel says blank, dude, dude, love it.
Speaker 1: Jenny McCarthy Pam and Jenny Pam and Jenny Pam. Pam is such a good actor.
Speaker 2: Justice for Pam. We've been saying it forever. I mean, listen, I'm I'm a Pam supporter. I went to opening night of Chicago.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I did not see Pam in Chicago.
Speaker 2: What is the next theatrical experience we're going to have? I guess should we go see Merrily?
Speaker 1: I saw it at New York Theater Workshop.
Speaker 2: Loved Itathan, they were all in it, Oh Daniel, Jonathan and Lindsay and Lindsay. Lindsay was great. So everyone says, leaving it girl Merrily. Isn't me you study coded?
Speaker 1: Hmmm? Is it thinking?
Speaker 2: These are three kids who met in college and then it all fell apart.
Speaker 1: It all falls apart, and it's told.
Speaker 2: Well the thing with Merrily and I loved this production so much, at least the Off Broadway production, but it is like structurally doing a cool thing. You know, it's told in reverse chronological order, but it does completely take the steaks out of it. So you're like, well, I know this ends badly, So then why am I like watching like the steaks get lower.
Speaker 1: And lower as time goes on? Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess in what like twenty years time, we'll have a Richard Linklaner movie that's right, with Beanie and Ben. With Beanie and Ben, I mean, I can't wait to see that. But I just think, like, and that's not a Sondheim thing. I forgot who wrote the book, but like, I just think that's the fundamental thing about Merrily that I'm like, that's why, like it hasn't been put up that often, and now that I think this is the perfect setup for it where you have these big stars do it and the music's great.
Speaker 1: I do love the songs. I just love a.
Speaker 2: Factual experience, I really do. How are you gonna get your egot? Let's see Emmy this season in messing out. Let's hope Oscar for this season? If you play who would you.
Speaker 1: Play in a biopic?
Speaker 2: To get your Oscar I'm famously playing Hunter Biden. Oh my god, I would play Eileen Warnow. I would play do you think they didn't get it right the first time? I think Charlie's flopped. Just kidding. I think Charlie's flopped, and I need to go in there, and I think you'd be a stunning Aileen.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, show me what's the line from the movie. I remember the clip they played at the Oscars.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the clip was like.
Speaker 2: I forgot, she's like going she's going crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I know a makeup person.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of them, a lot of who could do what they did, who can do what they did? Yeah, okay, I would say for my performances Hunter Biden, I'm just gonna not sleep. I'm just gonna show up to set every day like Haggard, like hag like it's so rough. I'm gonna embody what it feels to feel rough and just go in and like, should I write the script myself? I feel like I have to make this happen. I think no, no one's gonna write me in my Hunter Biden vehicle.
Speaker 1: I just I think, listen the people at script Notes, listen to this podcast. I think they're gonna get the word.
Speaker 2: Out that John August, write me my Hunter Biden vehicle now now, John, listen, it's.
Speaker 1: All been very thought. A nice city has passed back and forth. Do something, write me a role. I think that's your oscar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my Grammy and Grammy is clearly in coming.
Speaker 1: And Tony, Oh, we should definitely win a Tony together. Do we do that?
Speaker 2: Hmmm? It's usually we compete Wicked stage Wicked and we both win.
Speaker 1: This is so funny.
Speaker 2: I actually was listening to Defining Gravity today. I don't know why, but I think I was just, oh, you want to know what I was really feeling myself. So pick Pie of the Curtain because this is a big truth episode Honesty's own. People were late today and I was very early. He was, Matt was, so I was like, so freakishly early. So I decided to like walk around and for some reason I landed on Burn from Hamiltonton, which was one of the inspirations for my song Every Christmas Eve, oh years ago, and I was listening to it and I'm like, this song goes so hard.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a beautiful song. You farfit the rest of that. You far fit. You don't get don't know about us? That so good. Pippa went off on that one.
Speaker 2: I want to be at the Kennedy Center Honors, Pippa so wait, I was.
Speaker 1: Actually thinking about this too.
Speaker 2: What would the Kennedy Soner Honors for Mariah B what's the lineup and what songs? Go?
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't do this. I don't know Arianna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to see Arianna do either dream Lover or Fantasy.
Speaker 1: You know that's all. You're not as big a lamb as I am.
Speaker 2: I know I know these songs, but I'm thinking, like I'm just thinking, if there's no I trust you.
Speaker 1: I want Kelly to sing my all like we pitched on this episode. What she wants to sing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I think I kind of want ari to give a more uptempo moment. That's what I say. Was like fantasy. Even Fantasy is a little slow. Maybe it's not like you need like something fast. She doesn't really have a lot of up up up tempos. By the way, they just did a tribute to Mariah and Jennifer Auson sang Vision of Love. It was so much singing yes that I just have to stand on a plod right, and then Patty LaBelle also sang I forget what she sang, but like it was also stunning, and I was just like wow, because to tribute Mariah you kind of have to bring everyone in who's gonna do kind of the most to say the least, right.
Speaker 1: And imagine just sitting.
Speaker 2: There for performance, have to performance just like knocked off your pedestal by these women who know it's their Mariah carry tribute moment.
Speaker 1: Right, and that she's watching.
Speaker 2: I think that is a YouTube clip that will be watched by gays over and over and over again when it happens.
Speaker 1: After it happens. Wait, I'm sorry, did this happen. It happened the other night, but not a Kennedy Center, I know, yes, but is it on YouTube? Is what I'm saying. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched the Jennifer Hudson performance okay, okay, and it was, like I said, it was the Vision of Love and it was just like, WHOA. The thing about Vision of Love and Mariah is there's like an elegance.
Speaker 1: Oh, she comes in completely like I don't know, like, I don't think anyone can really sing that. You think so? I think it's one of those songs.
Speaker 2: I think Vision of Love is a lot more I Will Always Love You than we realized in that Like by the end it's like, yeah, it's also just like a vision of Love is so Mariah coded because it's Mariah.
Speaker 1: Pure Mariah, that's real. Number eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Vision of Love is so Mariah coded because it's Mariah.
Speaker 1: It's almost like she starts.
Speaker 2: Solo and then by the end she's like, yeah, it's just so even to hear Jennifer Hudson do it, who's obviously one of the best singers out there, it's just like, yes, this is a tribute to This is not a new rendition of because you really can't do a new rendition of vision and vision of love, right, And I think that's the case for a lot of Mariah's songs, which is why you don't see her covered a lot. But that song in particular, you really can't write. Would you say that Mariah's music is timeless or is it so beautifully time bound that you can't really like modernize it. Well, people do literally modernize it, like fucking fantasy. They just big dick energy was ye ye ye, But even that was very preserved. Yeah, like it sounded just like fantasy, and fantasy is of course a sample.
Speaker 1: So wait, but I would say, was it you that said to me? It wasn't you.
Speaker 2: I think it was Jared because he loves to do this. He was like, if you had to keep one person's discography, no, I.
Speaker 1: Hate this shit.
Speaker 2: I hate this, hate this, hate this so much. But he said, because I don't have to keep one person, You're right exactly.
Speaker 1: And I was like, there's actually not so now that we have both discographies, there's not a world where like, you can never listen to this again. But I guess he was like, imagine a world where and you could never listen. I don't think so money like that whole like rhetorical thing. I don't like those guns to your head Jesus or that. Well, I don't have a gun to my head, and I wouldn't. No one would ever hold a gun in my head and make me choose these two fucking things, right, And so he said to me, gun to your head.
Speaker 2: Sorry, tried to put you on blast, but you did say this Taylor or Beyonce. And I was like, I refuse to answer the question, refuse to answer the question. But he said Taylor and Mariah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I have to keep Mariah's music. Oh, of course, I have to keep Maria's music. To you, Mariah, It's just it's not that I don't want to be disrespectful, but it's like I think that that would put me in a serious depression knowing that I could never listen to any of Mariah's music ever again, Whereas like Taylor write new music, not that Mariah couldn't, but like, I don't know, there's something so special to me about Mariah's discography.
Speaker 2: The beauty of Taylor is the like glut of music that there is. And part of gorgeous word glut glut, and then what goes with that.
Speaker 1: Is you can comia glut.
Speaker 2: Part of that means as a consumer, and that's all I am as a consumer. I big bottom, big bottom. I get to take a break, yeah, you know what I mean. And like I think with Taylor, sometimes I have to consciously be like I'm gonna tap on, I'm gonna listen to some like Byork or whatever. You know. People were like, oh, she's announcing reputation TV tonight. They were saying this all weekend, and I was just like, you guys, we have to slow down, let her exist. We have to low down, like because honestly I remember, like my initial reaction to even Evermore coming out was I was just like, but we just got folklore what Like, I was just like, it's gonna take me a second. Then I eventually got around to Evermore and like it was one of my favorite albums of hers.
Speaker 1: But when things come too fast, too furious. It's like even with nineteen eighty nine TV, like we were honest about our thoughts about it on this pod, but like I haven't really sat down and like allowed the newer songs Yes to like seep into my vans as like Taylor Cannon because I'm like, I don't know, I just feel like I'm not in that zone right now.
Speaker 2: I'm still enjoying the Yes. I'm still listening to Cruel Summer. I'm still listening to Cruel Summer. I was thinking today in the shower should give Lover another full rotation. I love Love Lover is. It's maligned and there's no reason for it to be. It is such an interesting moment in her career for her first two singles to be songs that are so outside of what she knows.
Speaker 1: She does best. Do you know what I mean? For Me and You need to Calm Down to be the first two singles from that.
Speaker 2: Do you think that me and You need to calm down? We're just like an overcorrection from the reputation? Yes, me is so still such a big question mark for swifties. I think it's so rare for her to be I'm just gonna say this publicly, A little self conscious about it because you remember when she took out Hey Kids Fun?
Speaker 1: I thought was the wrong move.
Speaker 2: I was like, why are you taking out? I think because that is the element of like whatever. Uh kill me for saying this, but like the element of wit that's in there. Something's a little off, something's a little wrong, And I love it when that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It felt like a choice that was made and we should stick to the choice. Did you ever say why she took it out? And it kind of just reads as self consciousness because maybe the response to it. I mean, it was like on paper a huge hit, but like the response to it was like the internet was like what the people being like, we.
Speaker 1: Don't know about this one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then it did that weird thing where she does have like that reputation for quote unquote not choosing the right first single, which is like not something that's necessarily.
Speaker 1: True and it doesn't really matter in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you need to come down was of course felt gay Baby at the time. I don't know, like it did feel like that was like a moment in her career where people were just ready to drag her in a way that like sort of invalidated just how good her actually was, which because most of the songs on that album are like some of her greatest work still an Archerstan she said, by the way that it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: And while it's dreams yeah, I mean the stream.
Speaker 2: Dreamable version and long live but because so much of Lover is so fucking good Lover, the song to me is one of her best.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, those weren't the singles. Cruel Summer was the single Girl.
Speaker 2: But then again, can we argue with the timeline which saw Cruel Simmer have this moment It felt right for the Aerostour, it did. Everything happens for a reason. Hashtag Taylor, hashtag I want to quickly talk about Miami. Drianna is so important. Adriana de Mora is so important and why is she not housewife status? The only thing about Miami is the friends are so vital to the show, and there is just like I guess it's just too many women who are already house wives who are holding. There's full time and three friends, it's nine. Bump it up to nine.
Speaker 1: I don't know, do it.
Speaker 2: Potomac has eight right now, and five out of the eight are fucking cannon fodder.
Speaker 1: I can't do this. We have to wait till I.
Speaker 2: Was told that we had the way to talk about Honey. But in terms of Miami, I feel like here's the thing. Marisol, Adriana and Kiki. I think there's this thing that Miami is doing that because they have women that are married and are actual, quote unquote housewives. They are the main cast. Sure, But then again, like Larsa, isn't I think we're well past the point of like, yeah, that being a requirement. But anyway, this is all to say I love this show so much.
Speaker 1: I think that if it's working, if it ain't broke, sure, Like Kiki is a friend of I think is perfectly fine. Kiki is a friend, Up's perfectly fine.
Speaker 2: Even Maratha, I just think Adriana drives so much of the tree does and she is I'm.
Speaker 1: No longer susceptible to your poison. They have vipers like the venom like vipers, venom like vipers. Fuck you marry salt motherfucker. Hateful person, be hateful because I'm flatulent.
Speaker 2: The word flatulent being used so many times. Really, no notes for Miami, No, no notes for Salt Lake. Really, these are fun shows and that's what you need. That's what makes something watchable. Okay, period pointless, and that will lead into our discussion on another franchise in just a bit. Okay, so listen, it's time I think to sort of get that negativity out and I'm actually gonna have you go first today. I'm superstitious what I feel like, you always go first, and I feel like if you're going to switch up the order, this is gonna really shake up the week, which I you know what, maybe I need I.
Speaker 1: Think I forgot what. I don't think so, honey, was I think you need to go first? Okay? Okay, this is bone Yang's I don't think so, honey, and it's long awaited as time starts now, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: One of the real House as of Potomac, I think I'm tapping out because it has become utterly unwatchable.
Speaker 1: It brings me no pleasure to say this.
Speaker 2: If you had asked me two years ago, I would have said it was my favorite city in the entire franchise. Now it is dead last because, as I said, the Race show is bad. Five out of these eight women are intolerable. Three of them are evil people, Mia thirty, Mia, Giselle Robin, You guys, you guys are so awful. And that I love Karen, I love Wendy, I love Canvas Down forever for life. But the rest of these women are so desperate to be on television, so thirsty, so hungry. They're acting like Drew Carey just called their names on the prices, right, and they're racing to the bottom to bid one dollar because that is what is the price five of the show. Even Wendy. I love you, Wendy, but you are over correcting here. I mean this show is bad.
Speaker 1: Vibes. That's one minute. Listen to me. I'm out.
Speaker 2: You sit here and you say that the evil people are Giselle, Robin and Mia, I would raise you in Ashley Darby.
Speaker 1: Oh, Ashley Darby.
Speaker 2: You're fucking Ashley Darby is God. So here's something I was actually asking myself. Is Ashley Darby this dumb or this mean? And I'm like, oh, it doesn't mess obviously that she's this mean because her thing of like, oops, did I spread that rumor about Wendy's mother being like a voodoo person?
Speaker 1: First of all?
Speaker 2: Can I say I am with you? I kind of refuse to participate in something that's gonna pit these two Nigerian women against each other.
Speaker 1: Based on heritage. It's so disappointed. And I was really not about the editing of the last episode, which was like showing Wendy's mother like praying, and then they did this weird musical sting on it to make her seem like mystical.
Speaker 2: That did not feel right now to me, this all it feels very wrong to me. How many more times are we gonna have to have Wendy sat down by Ashley and told something horrible like that's being said about her life?
Speaker 1: Just for what These women aren't friends. That's not fun. They're they're just not friends. They're just not friends. Robin is inactive.
Speaker 2: They all live like fifteen miles apart from each other. It's like there is no like central binding hub. There's no agent, there's no like thing that like brings these people together. Truly, the way that Giselle salivates when she hears she can talk shit about Wendy or that there's something nasty about Wendy, it's so like the glee with which Robin was receiving that information from Neca, like about like all that stuff that was negative about Wendy.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is.
Speaker 2: Such an ugly yep show yep, and it really is a shame. And I'll miss you Karen, I'll miss you Wendy, I'll miss you Candice. And I'm not saying I'm not gonna watch it. I'm just saying, like I still haven't seen this week's episode. There's no propeller for me to watch it. It's like, and honestly that's the thing too about like having so many other franchises that are doing so great on Bravo right now, is just like I'm not gonna watch something I'm not gonna enjoy that I like morally object to.
Speaker 1: There's no way. And also it's like why why invest time? We don't you.
Speaker 2: Don't have the time, like you the readers Katie's Publics finalists do not have the time to watch something like that for Potomac anymore. I never thought I would say this. I used to love the show. Literally, what I said was I would hang out with any of these women. Now these are the fucking lamest people. It's really so deeply uncool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also it's just like, I guess like Wendy and Candace and Karen have to keep participating because it's the show that they're on, but it's just like, god, like, at what point is it not even worth it? You have to show up and these are your colleagues, people who are out to destroy your lives and the people that you love. That's like, that's the difference. Is that on Miami it's like you talked about me because I was flatching on how daily your vipra so funny? And on Beverly Hills, it's like, you know, it definitely gets thick, it gets a little dark, but like there's like a pageantry there that the women are all in on. That feels like these women are not collaborating with each other to make content, They're conspiring with one another to ruin each other, right, And it feels like for what it's not entertainment, and for Salt Lake, there is an element of like there are criminals about and these women have to unite to fight off these evils. Like that is a fun, compelling thing for me to watch. They're also fun to watch. They're also so like none of these women are fun to watch. And I'm sorry, but like Candas, you haven't been on the show, like I mean, like this is another part of it. Cannis, Karen and Wendy Wendy except for this like fucking neck of stuff. It's like they're not featured enough. There's so much focus being put on Robin and Giselle still and Ashley in her stupid why are you doing a coast side house and the fucking DMV Ashley Derby the.
Speaker 1: Stupidest fucking It's yeah, it really is a very like lead very.
Speaker 2: Like it's like very like old fashioned like beach house. It's it's giving like fifth thought, it's just how many houses have we been to in the suburbs where this is the story. You know, my house is a beach it's giving like lame, it's given like that's not to disrespect anyone who's like my living room is the sand, and my my bathroom is the beach.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like that is like a common thing. I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm only using this his ammunition against someone that I already dislike. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Everyone else, I think your house is beautiful.
Speaker 2: If you have a coastal themed house in a landlocked area, I love that.
Speaker 1: I think your house is beautiful. I think your house is beautiful.
Speaker 2: But if your name is Ashley Darby and you're are they divorced yet?
Speaker 1: And you're fucking oh they're not divorced?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you're in such a sad arrangement, Ashley. And here's the thing that connects all of these women that are like vituperative on the show or what I learned from bewen Yang is their person and lives are all a mess, Like watching the Robin and Wan of it all is so pathetic. And the fact is like you kind of do, like have to side with her because it's like when someone says like.
Speaker 1: I don't care, I don't care, I don't care, You're like, okay, well she said she doesn't care, So now I guess everyone else is uncool for trying to get her into a position where she like But again, ultimately, what I'm saying is it's just like, guys, she doesn't care. She doesn't want her life to be better. She doesn't aspire two better things, right, So when someone is telling you what they feel, that's what she feels.
Speaker 2: Leave her bee, leave her be. She doesn't want her situation to improve, which then makes me go, then why is she on television? Why am I watching her life? And well, our husband got fucking fired. And now here's another garbage thing I'm picking up on the show. He is constantly one Dixon is constantly on television being like, well, you know, I got fired because we weren't winning games, not anything. I love my guys. I love my guys. It's like, first of all, here's the truth. You allowed a situation to go on on your team, Yes, with a young person who will be affected by just look it up because.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting into actually disgusting. It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: He covered up basically assault on his team, like a coach on his team was to say the least inappropriate with one of the players. The player brought it to the attention of the coaches, and the coaches like buried it. Okay, so that's why he was fired. That's what we're dealing with in that family. In the Dixon household, Gizelle is being so fucking stupid with this whole like cougar identity she now has.
Speaker 1: This woman doesn't know who she is. This woman does not.
Speaker 2: Interesting and the only thing that makes her interesting is the way that she.
Speaker 1: Plays the chessboard. I guess in terms of like, she.
Speaker 2: Doesn't play the chess board. She fucking flips the table. Yeah, she fucking flips it. She like makes a fucking mess.
Speaker 1: It's just that no fun. It's not fun. It's no fun.
Speaker 2: And Ashley Darby being like, oh oops, did I destroy any potential for these two women to be friends Mekka and Wendy, when like they should have come on and been like, you know, not that Meka needed any help, because she couldn't have got to the center of this inappropriate bullshit with Wendy's mother quicker. No. But also Neka is like not at whatsoever, there's no star wars, no star quality. The way she talks to her husband is vile. She like screams at him to shut up every single day. I'm like, I don't like this.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'll say about Mia. At least I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: I've started calling her the legendary Mia Thornton in group chats, and I do laugh because you're laughing because she's not legendary, because she's actually she's equally as pathetical.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'll say, Like, if Mecca has no star quality, at least I think Mia, like whenever she's on television, I'm like, well, what is this gonna be? I at least do like watching Mia. I do Mia.
Speaker 2: The moments that I say the legendary mea legendary Meathorton. The moments that I like watching the legendary Meathorton are when Karen is being so mean to her and Karenhake and she just takes it on and then Mia just kind of takes it on the chin, and I'm like, Okay, that's funny, but like that does not a reality TV character make. I just I don't know what to say. I'm not saying I'm not gonna watch it anymore, but I am saying, like.
Speaker 1: You are right, Dead Last.
Speaker 2: It's bad Dead Last, and I feel like the weird thing that's happening is they feel like they can't get rid of Giselle and Robin and Ashley, and I have to tell you you can, you can, you can't. Actually this happens all the time, is you get the toxic people out of those situation.
Speaker 1: It is a noxious show.
Speaker 2: Like it's just like, oh, like we're not dealing with Lighthousewives content, We're dealing with this stuff that Like watching Wendy's face as she has to receive that this is gonna be the conflict of the show, like they're attacking her mother based on heritage and religion is so and like what they are saying about this, like ole, this implication that Wendy's family might be OSU is actually so so so damning and dark and so personal that it's like, of course, like the Bravo audience, the Housewives audience is not going to actually understand what's being implicated here. But it's like if you look into it and actually go to Wendy's Twitter and see what she's gretweeting and what she's saying, it's really really fucked up. But that's the thing is that there's so much room for misinterpretation or like agnosticism about like what these things mean in that culture that it leaves room for so much bad faith, in bad like interpretation of what this all means, and like and fucking Ashley Darby starts it like this, fucking I'm sorry, light skinned woman who like could not care less about the fact that these two women are from a culture that is completely foreign to her, And also watching them all sweat so hard to try to make Meca a thing. They're all getting on their Instagram, like we're so excited for you guys to meet Mekka, and NEA's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's like, Mekka is total not today, Meka, not today? What is it? Not today today? Not today?
Speaker 2: Today, the ankles, ankle, not today, Satan not today. Say we miss you Candae on the show? I mean Hana's she was on the show this episode, but I just where you've been, where you been anyway, she's been on tour, and that's what's doing on the tour. Okay, I do have and I don't think so, honey, And I wish I didn't. Oh, I wish I did it. I'm sorry, It's okay, now, Rogers, I don't think so many times starts now, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think so, honey.
Speaker 2: The song from Wish, Oh, I just missed the day of majesty in these Disney songs, Like I'm listening to the song from Wish and I'm rooting for Wish, like I root for every like Disney Princess movie that comes out. And then here's what I would say, like to give some feedback, like too many words, like where is the timeless melody? Where is the timeless? Like easy thing to let you into, like where is seconds the days of Alan Mankin and Howard Ashman, like we need to find And I love Julia Michaels, but she is a pop songwriter, and I feel like there's like a lack of like timelessness or like memorability to the melodies in this Seconds. And I listened to like the soundtrack today and I'm just like, we're missing some of the magic. And that's to not to say too much about like the whole fucking thing, but where is the magic? We need less words to find it. I didn't like the song and Wish, I don't think so, honey, And that's one minute. And it's so interesting because all of the promotional stuff about this movie is making it seem like this is the best I want song Disney has ever written. First of all, you have to say it, it probably isn't true. And also it's like, let's not pretend like the steaks aren't so high in terms of that, I mean, like part of your world is staring us in the face. By the way, there was a rolling Stone list about the top ten Disney movies, and I actually agreed with it. It wasn't that I agreed or disagreed. I was just like, Okay, it's a rolling Stone, lest here we go. They chose Bambi as number one. That's ridiculous, which I actually I don't think is ridiculous. I actually think it's kind of like a chic choice because I mean, the animation was revolutionary for the time. It's very emotional story like it's also like og og Disney, So I kind of got that. But then the Lion King wasn't even in the top ten see and like the recent Winnie the Pooh was no And I'm like rolling Stone, rolling Stone being wrong, you gotta stop. Like it was giving Celindia not on the list vibes at some point, but at least like there was like some respect for in there, for the classic like Little Mermaid was ranked very high, and I'm like, yes, because Little Mermaid, like at least the songs in the original, like you don't ever forget them, Beauty and the Beast, that duo, there's something there that's like timeless. And I feel like in this Wish song, which I believe is called I Wish, I'm not able to like latch onto anything about the song because I think it's too crowded narratively and like there's nothing we're not aiming for the stars in terms of like feeling classic. And yet I think Disney has poured in so much into it being Disney one hundred, let's really cement the legacy of the last century of what we've put out, and like this is like they've had a weird year.
Speaker 1: A bad one, They've had a not good year. I think that.
Speaker 2: So the thing with Wish is it quote unquote isn't succeeding right now at the box office, but it did get an a Cinema score, and it's something that could play through the holiday. I mean, they said Elemental was a flop and then it actually made a lot of money. It's now categorized as a sleeper hit, which I didn't even know, because I feel like there's so much emphasis put on like the opening weekends for things like this. But you have to also remember Frozen was a huge sleeper phenomenon, like that was not a hugely popular movie and it's even its first two weeks, and then as kids started to express that they loved it, like then it grew so like I feel like there's potential for Wish to do well. But here's the thing is, it's like you need something that's like a really driving, intangible for something like this movie to succeed, and Frozen had that with Let It Go and the other songs. The songs are not songing on this album. And it's no disrespect to Julia Michaels, who I think is a great pop songwriter and a great pop artist, but there's something that's like not connecting in terms of like you can't there's no emotional into these songs and I haven't seen them in context.
Speaker 1: I have and seeing the movie.
Speaker 2: But it's just been a weird year because that didn't do well and then the Marvels like really didn't do well. And I think that Disney's plan going forward is to funnel Like I think it's like twenty billion into the theme parks. It's all going into the parks, yeah, because they're the only real division of Disney that is growing, are the parks, because there was like a theme park resurgence. And I guess my thing is, like you had a lot to do with that, absolutely, But I guess my thing is like what happens when the ip all just like collapses in on itself, you know what I mean, Like the marvel it's so confusing and saturated now that I think people didn't go see the Marvels because they were like, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna get it.
Speaker 2: No, it's they had an opportunity to like really reset it after endgame, Yeah, and they just kept like sizing up the bubble and yeah, it was like it was impossible to follow. It's unreal how much you'd have to consume to truly understand what's happening in any given piece of content that's come out from Marble in the past two years.
Speaker 1: You tell me, like Jonathan Majors plays King, and I'm like, which knows a whole thing? Well, I just think like.
Speaker 2: They've had a lot of bad luck and Destin Daniel dropped out of the Next Avengers movie, and he's gonna still direct to the shang Hi film. Something's going on at Disney, And like, I think the little drips of news and announcements lately have been so interesting too, between like Inside Out and this whole thing about like oh, Toy Story five and Frozen four, it's like, okay, but like, just give us a second. I don't know, I just I just say they're obsessed with announcements. Yeah, yeah, Like they're so obsessed with letting you know what's happening so that you know down the road everything, and then you look at it and you're like wow, so you're truly banking on this regurgitative ip again and again and again and again, and then even your original stuff feels derivative, Like just on face value, wish feels very isn't it?
Speaker 1: Story of it? I think there might be something to.
Speaker 2: That, like this is the world where like wishes get doled out to every little Disney world, you know, or something like that.
Speaker 1: I guess I gotta, you know, do my due diligence and see it more.
Speaker 2: But like I don't know, Like usually like I'm more excited, but I think that there's just something going on where every single like big ip for Disney, like Star Wars, like Marvel, like even though the Disney princesses and like that whole thing, it just feels like it's all kind of just like collapsing in on itself, where I guess they can put all the money to the theme parks because that ip there feels very special and new because you're experiencing it, But it's not getting people to elect to go to the movies, yes, because it doesn't feel like there's not a lot of pull to I feel like I've barely even seen Wish promoted. Well he don't follow our end of bows on Instagram, I think I do, Oh, okay, well.
Speaker 1: Then you have no excuse.
Speaker 2: It gets like god it talking about Disney like this makes me think that Kingdom Hearts really is the perfect case study in this because it peaked.
Speaker 1: And then it really fucking fell.
Speaker 2: It really kind of all like burst at the themes in a way that was just like what was that all for? It's like, let's celebrate all the Disney things and put that and like remix it with this new crazy like final fantasy element, and like it worked until it immediately stopped because there were so many titles. It was impossible to keep up with it. Like literally, this is like it is a microcosm for what's happening on a larger scaleton. This is my theory and I'm actually I'm onto something here. Kingdom Hearts, what happened with the Kingdom Heart series? And they're making a fourth one whatever, But what happened with the Kingdom Heart series is the perfect writ small thing of what's happening I think with let's say Disney as a whole, it's really interesting, Like it was just so convoluted you needed to watch like a twenty five minute movie before you could play the third one that came out a few years ago. It's just like, at what point do we like, Yeah, just like congeal things and like make things more digestible. Yeah, because there's a lot of asking people to buy into these universes, and the universes are just so like I actually read a Wikipedia. I read the Wikipedia of the plot of the Marvels, and I was just like, what, why can't this just be these three ladies kick ass? Why can't this just be Mama's slay, Mama's slay. Literally, the Marvels should have just been Mama's It would have been so fun. It would have been incredibly fun.
Speaker 1: It's like they can only slay in a certain universe, because when you slay too hard in universe be universe c is not so sligh? Wait, what are those little green guys? Aliens? Don't talk to me? I don't. Don't.
Speaker 2: We need a Mama's Slay movie so badly. We need this decade's version of Charlie's Angels full throttle. We need Mamas Slay the movie. Now, what has been mama slay recently? That has been that has poppedlated? Barbie? You said Barbie Hays had made a number.
Speaker 1: First of all, describing made a number as mama is so dark.
Speaker 2: Barbie is not even Mama's sleigh. I think Barbie is Mama's slag. I think Barbie is Mama's all around the world's sligh. And that's actually really clad your number one hundred. Barbie is Mama's all around the world sligh.
Speaker 1: No, Barbie is the flood not.
Speaker 2: So see that beautiful? It's beautiful and timeless and simple. You know what I'm saying, Billy, this is my favorite Billy lyric. Ever is I don't know how to feel, but I want to try. That is the whole movie, because I don't know how to feel. She's I don't know how to feel. But also she literally doesn't. She's a toy. Yeah, but she wants to try.
Speaker 1: My favorite Billie Eilish lyric is guy the talk about an artist.
Speaker 2: I love Billy, love Billy, Billy Billy for the pod. I think she'd be excellent. I think she would have fun. She's good vibes. I just looked at our producer. I said, yeah, Booker, look Billy, come on, but just Billy. No, no phineas parents, just get her in here.
Speaker 1: Let just Billy.
Speaker 2: We want to talk to Billy and really help her figure out her newfound lesbianism.
Speaker 1: Is she lesbian?
Speaker 2: Said that she's attracted to women, but she's intimidated by them, and.
Speaker 1: You think that we could help her figure that out.
Speaker 2: I think we're the perfect strippas to lesbianism. I think you said O were the perfect strippers and strippers. I think we stripped for her and then she definitely all.
Speaker 1: Right now I know would be gay TAXI.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, so fun. She is so stunning as an artist. You know, this has been an episode that has gotten all sorts of directions.
Speaker 1: I think we really slayed it.
Speaker 2: I think we slayed it. I think this was Mama's sleigh. I think we're boob gaye. We're boob gays on both sides of the coin where you have the boo bobs.
Speaker 1: If you were woman and I if you were woman, you'd be an appreciator.
Speaker 2: If you were fan presenting, you would have boobs here, you'd be boob gay in that regard. I'm boob gay and the fact that I am purveyor of boobs and I appreciate boobs.
Speaker 1: And with this thought we do end every episode of the song the food No just fall down, I know, but I'm the shore. Now what else ma for?
Speaker 2: What was MA.
Speaker 1: Called bookcase? Enjoy me? I'm sad.
Speaker 2: Don't tell boy, it's not what he's made. I made. Hey, everybody, it's Matt, and I'm very excited to let you know that my debut album, Have You Heard Of Christmas? Is out Friday, November three. Stream it everywhere in anywhere you do that and order the vinyl online now. I've also got new merch and tickets to my tour at www dot Matt Rogersofficial dot com. Starting December first in Philly and wrapping up December twenty third in New York City again. Check out www dot Matt rogersofficial dot com for all the new music, merch and tour info. Very exciting, it's officially Christmas