Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: M from the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central. It's America's only sorts for news. This it's the Daily Show with your host Raby Day. Welcome to the Heavily Show.
Speaker 3: I'm right, Jack, we got so much to talk about Tonight. Meghan Dye Stallion is featuring on a Kamala Harris track. Donald Trump makes some black friends. So let's get to an ongoing coverage of Indecision twenty twenty four. Let's kick things off with Donald Trump. He was doing really well with black voters when he was runn against Joe Biden, probably because black people don't with ghosts. But Kamala Harris is now stealing back some of Trump's black support. So today Trump sacked down with an interview with the National Association of Black Journalists and things got off to a rocky stock.
Speaker 4: A lot of people did not think it was appropriate for you to be here today. You have pushed false claims about some of your rivals, from Nicki Haley to former President Barack Obama, saying that they were not born in the United States, which is not true. You have told four congressmen women of color who were American citizens to go back to where they came from. You have used words like animal and rabbit to describe black district attorneys. You've had dinner with the white supremacists at.
Speaker 5: Your Marologua resort.
Speaker 4: So my question, sir, why should black voters trust you after you have used language like that.
Speaker 3: Tough question, but hey, at least this is a good chance for former President Trump to address the concerns of black voters by answering with civility and grace.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, I don't think I've ever been asked a question so in such a horrible manner. A first question, you don't even.
Speaker 3: Say, hello, how are you?
Speaker 6: Are you with ABC? Because I think they're a fake news network, a terrible network.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, not a great start talking to a room for a black journalists, but you can still recover.
Speaker 6: I think it's a very rude introduction. I don't know exactly why you would do something like that. You invited me under false pretense, and then you are half an hour la. Just so we understand, I have too much respect for you to be late.
Speaker 5: I think it's a very nasty question. Why I have answered the question?
Speaker 6: I have been the best president for the black population.
Speaker 5: Since Abraham Lincoln is answer better.
Speaker 4: Than President Johnson's, I'm the voting right back.
Speaker 6: For you to start off a question and answer period, especially when you're thirty five minutes because you couldn't get your equipment to work in such a hostile manner, I think it's a disgrace.
Speaker 3: Wow. Trump was like, listen of black people, you always late your microphone's are ghetto, and I'm Abraham Lincoln. I mean, I think he just won the black vote. For most politicians anyone else on earth, that would have been a low point of the interview, But because it's Donald Trump, it's somehow.
Speaker 4: God was Do you believe that Vice President Kamala Harris is only on the ticket because she is a black woman?
Speaker 5: Well, I can say no.
Speaker 6: I think it's maybe a little bit different. So I've known her a long time, indirectly, not directly very much, and she was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn't know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black, and now she wants to be known as black. So I don't know is she Indian or is she black?
Speaker 4: She is always black college.
Speaker 6: I respect either one, but she obviously doesn't because she was Indian all the way and then all of a sudden, she made a turn and she went she became a black. Just to be clear, sir, I think somebody should look into that too, when you ask a continue in.
Speaker 5: A very hostile, nasty town.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was that he thinks she turned from Indian to black, or that he thinks someone should look into that, right? Who should look into that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Does he think the FBI is the Federal Black Investigators? I don't think she turned from Indian to black. Okay, She's Indian and black. Like, what does he think happens when the time is right Indians going to a cocoon and they play some drake and they come up black. It's very clear that Trump doesn't quite know how to handle Kamala Harris. Right now he's trying to find the angle of attack. And today he was hitting her race. Yesterday he was hitting her age.
Speaker 6: She is younger, but I mean she's sixty years old. A lot of people I didn't do it. She was sixty years oldly younger, but she's sixty.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: I guess Trump just discovered that black don't crack. I mean, this is gonna be a first time. He does birthism as a compliment, like show us your bus certifica because you don't look a day over fifty. Okay, so just drop the skincare routine.
Speaker 6: Girl.
Speaker 3: I bet Trump spend the rest of the day just googling how old other black people are, like Morgan Freeman two hundred years old question mark. To be fair, Trump does have some substantive criticisms of Kamala, but he can't seem to say them without making it gross and personal, like when he was asked about how she would do in negotiations with foreign leaders.
Speaker 7: How would they consider a Harris presidency that's just in jail.
Speaker 6: I think they'll walk all over. I think, so look at her. I think they'll walk all over. She'll be so easy for them. She'll be like a playtoy. They look at her and they say, we can't believe we got so lucky. They're going to walk all over. And I don't want to say as to why, but a lot of people understand it.
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't want to say why should be a bad president? You know that he and the who the fellas get it. I'm pretty sure Kamala can handle world leaders, Okay, I mean she did just overthrow the president of the United States. And also nobody was easier to manipulate than Donald Trump. Like foreign leaders just had to roll out the red coppet and Trump treated them like a best friend. I mean, Saudi Arabia bone sawed an American journalists and Trump was fine with it because they let him touch an orb. I mean, I'm pretty sure now this is getting to Kamala right now. She's on top of the world because she's enjoying life as the Democrat's new messiah.
Speaker 8: Atlanta turned up and turned out for Vice President Harris and a rap star came with a new slogan for campaign merch Megan the Stallion and others made this the largest crowd of Harris's young campaign. More than ten thousand people filled a downtown arena.
Speaker 2: Well, Donald, as the saying goes, if you've got something to.
Speaker 8: Say, thousands waited hours to see Harris speak. Does she make it easier for Democrats to win Georgia in November?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well so excited and we don't have to vote for Joe Biden anymore. You know, I do feel bad for Biden, Like everyone's going crazy for Kamala and he's at home with COVID going who is Kamala? And I've never seen so much joyful statistical tie. This is like when people cheer after the plane lands it's supposed to land. Okay, that's a bad minimum. For more on the enthusiasm or on the vice President Harris, we go live to one for rallies in Houston with Michael Costa.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Michael, Michael.
Speaker 3: What's the feeling down there?
Speaker 5: It's electric, Ronnie.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen Democrats this excited since they came out with that fifth COVID booster.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, they do something pumped all But then the Democrats build on this momentum.
Speaker 7: They definitely can Ronnie, and there's only one way to do it. Kamala Harris has to drop out.
Speaker 3: Wait what we need? She has to drop out? Why everyone's enthusiastic about.
Speaker 7: Her, Well, the excitement's not about her. It's about the newness. You know when that new kid comes to your school and everyone's like, Oh, what's his deal?
Speaker 5: He's not actually cool, he's just new.
Speaker 7: He's just another loser who's dad happened to get a job near your school, So quit fawning about I'm Becky Solivan.
Speaker 5: Look, the point is this new news goes away, as will this.
Speaker 7: Enthusiasm for Kamala. It's not gonna be Meghan the Stallion at her next rally. It's gonna be Katy Perry and not teenage dream Katy Perry Evie. It's gonna be her new album and the one that the gays won't even listen to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, but if Kamala steps away, who will replace her?
Speaker 5: Who cares?
Speaker 7: The new nominee doesn't matter because the Democrats should replace them too. Every week in new candidate, new excitement, Republicans won't be able to keep up.
Speaker 5: Oh you think Gavin Newsom is unfit to be president?
Speaker 1: Who cares? Bitch?
Speaker 5: We're with Pete budhajeedge Now.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I do like Pete Budajet.
Speaker 7: Well, too bad he's out because now the candidate is Twisters.
Speaker 3: Wait the movie, you'll like the actual Tornado.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter because now it's Gretchen Wimmer.
Speaker 3: Okay, when does this end?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Who's actually gonna be in a nomine on election day?
Speaker 7: Well after Whitmer and Shapiro and Tom Hanks and that Pamel Horse guy. They're finally going to reach the last possible nominee, Joseph Robinette Biden.
Speaker 3: Wait minute, Biden again, That's why this holding started.
Speaker 7: Exactly, and as soon as he takes the oath of office, he resigns in favor of his VP, Kamala Harris in the excitement loop begins again.
Speaker 3: Ronnie, Wow, how very buddhists Michael cost everybody?
Speaker 5: When we come back back?
Speaker 3: Who must be just so? Don't go away? Welcome, not gonna tell me show my guests Tonight is a single, songwriter and produce of the Drammy nominator band Black Pumas, whose latest album is called Chronicles of a Diamond. Please welcome, Eric Alberta, thanks so much for being on the show. You're making me cooler just by joining me at the desk. Thanks so much. I feel so cool. I feel like your band right now is in such a great place culturally. You're liking that crime if you feel differently, but you're in that sweet spot of of you're still you're big enough to sell out radio city and people love your music, but you're still that kind of underground vibe where you're not you know, you don't have to play to like a mainstream uh, you know, sensibility or doing that you do't want to do. I mean, do you feel that way?
Speaker 9: Which is a great place to be because we feel in charge of our self expression, which is amazing as artists and human beings, and you know, selling out Radio City here in New York is still like really cool for us, So we don't take it for granted. It's been amazing and just being in here in this this smaller TV audience situation is super super dope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you can, and.
Speaker 3: I mean the authenticity is coming through in the second album. I feel like I can still feel it. I mean that that was one of my questions for you was like, do you feel that transition from you know, making your first album where you're just pure self expression and doing what you want to do to the second album where there's this expectation for it now kind of you know, did you feel that kind of pressure they changed your creative approach.
Speaker 9: To it most definitely so for the last album. With the last album, I was really lucky because of my other half, Adrian Casata. He came to the table with such a knowledge and such a sensitivity to towards the culture, towards.
Speaker 1: The style of music that I just do.
Speaker 9: You can say black people, yeah, black people, yeah. But but it was really easy for me to kind of to kind of adopt the character that that was being presented by way of the canvas that is soul music. And so as we accomplished that, and he likes some of my songs, and those songs kind of helped kind of catapult Black Pumas like colors. You know, it was, it was, It's been really amazing. But for this, the second album, there was way much more you know, pressure, But you know, I was I was raised in an artist household, and I was always taught to kind of genuinely be okay with expressing myself and thankful the people have kind of allowed it, you know.
Speaker 1: So it feels nice to be here.
Speaker 3: You haven't changed yet, not yet, not never, right, And I guess I know you're still with an indie music label. Oh yeah, record, But do you feel like this second album, with the more anticipation and the undoubted success of the first one, do you feel like that you have more resources now? Like, how is it actually affecting how you make music for the second album.
Speaker 9: Well, when we did so well the first time around, I kind of immediately learned that our team, which is a great team, they were kind of relying on us too for direction, and so that was like that came as a really big surprised. While well, it doesn't sound super like a big deal, it came as a surprise because I don't I don't know that we were for sure as to what direction we wanted to go in.
Speaker 1: So we just continued to be genuine, to continue.
Speaker 9: To be honest, and it's led us in some uh you know, into some places that have been really new and very cool, and we're still we're still like observing.
Speaker 1: People's reaction to it. So that's been like really nice.
Speaker 3: Right, And you came up kind of playing smaller gigs, coming up and now a radio city and this, you know, everything is really happening for you. Like do you do you feel like you do you still go back to play small gigs. It's the energy of that.
Speaker 1: All most definitely.
Speaker 9: So I'm lucky because I was busking before everybody hated me.
Speaker 3: So what city way busking?
Speaker 9: I was busting in Santa Monica in Los Angeles, and so I went from Los Angeles to Austin, Texas, where there's a live show for anybody and everybody every single day. So to be interjected in such a culture where the artist is just embraced in this uncanny way, that really opened my eyes to being able to play and not having to pay to play, you know too, but being able to play and really just to integrate in the culture. So, you know, we played Sea Boys, which is a smaller venue shotgun club, and.
Speaker 3: You feed off that energy obviously smaller everyone's there, You're playing original music and.
Speaker 9: You're killing it, and yes, but there's there's that sense that you know, you you really have to work hard because we have friends who come.
Speaker 1: In there and you know, just in the back like doing that thing.
Speaker 3: But you know you're playing, You're you're like trying to prove yourself versus where your city where everyone's there to.
Speaker 9: Most definitely, and I want to say, like briefly that we were just very lucky just from the very get go, Like as soon as I met Adrian Casata, we had such a chemistry. Obviously, you know, I'm a creative and an artist first, and it helped to be with a partner who was just knowledgeable enough to kind of help me find a container for that musically and to then see the stage in like in such a real way. I used to be in theater. I grew up acting, and so you know, it's not that much different. There's you know, so uh so to be in that situation. Wation in Austin, Texas, it was like the perfect place to cultivate the live performative element, right.
Speaker 3: And I hood you recently went into a silent meditation retreat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 9: I discovered the pastna through through a girlfriend of mine and change my world. I have done the retreat twice. It's free. They fed me for free, they put me up for free.
Speaker 3: What's the condition. You just have to shut for seven days exactly exactly, So I say it's a silent retreat.
Speaker 1: I used it silent retreat. So it's a silent retreat.
Speaker 9: You get there, it's maybe one hundred students, five instructors, and you learn the technique, which is really easy to learn, is to shut up.
Speaker 1: Yes, just to be quiet.
Speaker 3: You know, you can surprised the technique. The technique for that is a quiet skill. I guess these days what happens if you don't shut up. Did they like kick you out? Is that how they kick you out?
Speaker 9: You can get kicked out, Yeah, for sure, so you can get kicked out. But I think I think that the technique is to get you on a vehicle to the source of how and or where our subconscious mind is reacting to, you know, our thoughts and things that might have happened in the past. So to get to the bottom of it, it's really technique to do.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, that sounds horrible somehow, I'll never do that, but chronicles all the diamonds available now everybody, then the black boom out everybody. That's our show on tonight now here it is your moment of.
Speaker 1: Better all right.
Speaker 10: So there we are from Chicago the National Association of Black Journalists Convention panel interviewing President Trump on stage. Sandra has some interesting questions and interesting dynamic there as well, not only with the questioners but the crowd.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really interesting.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount podcasts,