Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm Strong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Getty Strong and hey we're I'm Strong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast One more Thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts. So this blew my mind.
Speaker 3: The other day, my husband and I went to a restaurant and we're sitting there eating and I could just overhear the conversation happening next to me. It's a mom and her daughter who's maybe thirteen.
Speaker 2: Are you aby, Are you a person that can tune out people next to you or can't tune out people? I cannot yet nuts. I easily can turn out conversations with me, But like I have friends and family members who can, and you can't talk to them if there's someone else talking over there because they can't stop listening to them. I guess you're either built that way or you're not.
Speaker 4: I have a very hard time tuning out extraneous audio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same here so and I couldn't tune this out at all. And again, she was maybe thirteen, and they're talking about something and they weren't agreeing, and this little girl goes shut up mom, and the mom didn't react and they continue to argue, and my jaw dropped because when I was raised telling my parents to shut up, I mean, I've never done that. I have never in my life told my mom or dad to shut up in a serious manner. There was one time my dad and I were joking around and I accidentally went to shut up, and I stopped dead in my tracks in fear because I was like, I know those words aren't uttered, right, But I know parenting is changing generationally?
Speaker 2: Is that okay? Now?
Speaker 3: Is telling your parents to shut up like a normal thing?
Speaker 2: Jack? Have your kids ever dared? One kid did once? But yeah, no that was not okay. It did not go well, okay kids, right?
Speaker 3: I just I don't know if there's if that's a shift that's happening where the way you talk to your parents is changing. But the way that the mom didn't react, I'm sitting there going.
Speaker 2: What I wouldn't take it in any tone, but was the tone kind of like the valley go oh, shut up? No, they were they were having a serious call. Wow, shut your pie hole? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that certainly would not have washed in my house. I think one of one of the kids may have tried it at one point and it went very poorly. But how long is a generation?
Speaker 2: They usually say twenty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think okay, well all right then, well at least my oldest kid in your youngest kid. I raised my kids during the previous generation, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Shut up still is not fly with anybody I know. I don't think.
Speaker 4: If it does, you need to take a paring in class.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like Kevin Hart's got a bit where he's talking about how it turns out he was mistaken but he thought his kid he was yelling down to his kid to do something, and he thought his kid yelled fu said the words to him, and he just like gets what. He's like, what what? What just happened here? And the crowd just goes berserk about the idea of a kid saying that to their parent, which I was happy to hear, but that was just like roundly seen as oh my god, a nuclear bomb just went off. That is not okay, how is he going to react to this? It turns out he mishurt his kid over something like that. But yeah, no, shut up is not okay, any but any world I know of.
Speaker 3: Okay, that brings me some comfort because the kid, the girl was similar to your kid's age and I was.
Speaker 2: But the fact that the mom, I mean, she just took it, oh boy, that I feel bad for both of them because uh almost guaranteed that's a bad situation either happening or going to happen. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember back when I was raising my kids and would talk about it on the air, and people would call in or you know, write in with questions and that sort of thing. What I thought, and a number of times I thought, my first piece of advice is get a time machine, because you're asking me how do I undo fourteen years of getting it wrong?
Speaker 2: And yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: It's like after your fifth heart attack saying to your doctor, you know, well, it's you know what I'm saying. Oh. I came across a great thing on parenting that I was going to edit for the show because it's long, but I wish, wish, wish I'd read it when my kids were young. Jonah Goldberg actually wrote it. He's quoting a bunch of other people, but he's talking about how there's a new book by a developmental psychologist who had never heard of before, Alison Kropnik. But the name of the book is The Gardener and the Carpenter, and she points out that the very word parenting really only emerged in the fifties and didn't become popular until the seventies because until the fifties, people generally lived in their hometown near all their relatives, and they would just observe and everybody's there to help, and you didn't have to learn about parenting.
Speaker 2: It was self evident.
Speaker 4: You saw it all the time, and your mentors were around you anyway. But then in the seventies, people got more isolated, more mobile, they moved away and that sort of thing, and you had these parenting experts pop up.
Speaker 2: And often with no kids or bad kids. Right, that's right, Yeah, yeah, there's plenty of that too. But ms.
Speaker 4: Gropnik point says that parents began to think like carpenters, who have a clear idea in mind of what they're trying to achieve. They look carefully at the materials they have to work with, and it's their job to assemble those materials into a finished project, the project or product that can be judged by everyone against clear standards. Are the right angles? Perfect does the door work? Kropnik notes that the messiness and veriability are a carpenter's enemies. Precision and control are her allies. Measure twice, cut once, et cetera, and her thing. And I've got to admit I don't want to get too deep into this because it's incredibly serious and will make me very sad. But I was influenced by a calmnist to is a so called parenting expert, and he was very much of the carpenter's school. And when I ran into a kid with special needs, specifically on the autism spectrum, that was the last thing I needed. The last thing I needed was a carpenter's point of view about parenting.
Speaker 2: And MS.
Speaker 4: Kropnick's thing here and I haven't read the book is a better way to think about child wearing is as a guard. Your job is to create a protected and nurturing space for plants to flourish. It takes work, but you don't have to be a perfectionist. Weed the garden, water it. Step back and the plants will do their things unpredictably and often with delightful surprises. And it's not like a hippie dippy, anything goes she's talking about weeding the garden and doing what needs to be done.
Speaker 2: But you're not a carpenter or a gardener.
Speaker 5: What exactly is the carpenter's way. I don't know what you're talking about as far as the carpenter's view.
Speaker 2: Would it be fair to say, it's just like, there's one way to do it, one size fits all to get this to come out right?
Speaker 4: Essentially, Yeah, it's cut and dried. There are a list of rules, you follow them, it'll be fine. As opposed to a garden, where it's much more about nurturing than forcing that it's absolutely inevitably going to go sideways at times. If you're a good carpenter, it doesn't go sideways. You can make cabinet after cabinet after cabinet, and if a mistake is or if something goes wrong, that's utterly unacceptable. Whereas as a gardener, something's always going to go wrong. That's what the job is and you have to adapt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only thing I could say to your situation you overhard, Katie, because I've kind of lived this myself, is I've got one kid that's got all kinds of diagnosed things and kinds of medication and all kinds of things. He has said and done things that if his brother did them, it would be the end of the world. But the kid that's got all these various situations, he's not always in control of everything he does. And also, if you react a certain way you're about I mean, she might have a kid that if she had said anything to that kid at that moment about that, the table's getting flipped over. I mean, the police are coming that sort of thing. Possibly, I don't.
Speaker 3: Even think of that possible circumstance that there could you know that all could have had that problem.
Speaker 4: Final bit of wisdom learned too late, at least harshly, is when I first became a youth sports coach, I think I went I can't remember where this came from, but it was pointed out to me that you don't coach all of your players the same You coach all of your players the way they need to be coached. Some kids respond well to like the old school disciplined to bark at them some because some kids shut down and you're not going to make them a better player a better person doing that. You got to figure out how to pick their locks. And parenting's a lot like that too. If you think it's as mathematical and and cut and dried as carpentry, you're going to do it wrong.
Speaker 2: So how did how did the things turn out with the woman and the kid who said shut up? Did they just eventually did they stop talking or did they eventually get up and leave?
Speaker 3: They went back and forth for like maybe another thirty seconds, and then their food came and I checked out of that conversation pretty much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it shocked me.
Speaker 3: But I like that gardening analogy because that makes more sense that you're going to have more room to kind of wiggle when things go awry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know about that mom dealing with her kid, but like, I only think about my parenting roughly eighty percent of the time all day long. So yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Now that's not to say there are no rules in gardening. For instance, if you feed gatorade to plants, they will die, as outlined hilariously in the classic movie slash documentary Idiocracy. All right, of course, that it wasn't gatorade. It was called what brono brondo or electrolytes.
Speaker 2: It's got electrolytes.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: Hey we're Armstrong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast one more thing.
Speaker 6: Find it.
Speaker 2: We're atver you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 4: I came across this parable and I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. I think I know what to think, but I thought it was entertaining. The donkey told the tiger, the grass is blue. The tiger replied, no, the grass is green. The discussion became heated, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration. So they approached the lion, who apparently is in charge, of course, king of the jungle, King of the beasts. Sure, donkey, donkeys and lions coabitating, all right, and getting in arguments with tigers anyway. As they approached the lion on his throne, the donkey started screaming.
Speaker 2: Yours your itis. Isn't it true the grass is blue?
Speaker 4: The lion replied, if you believe it is true, the grass is blue. The donkey rushed forward and continued, the tiger disagrees with me. He contradicts me and annoys me. They should have thrown it. It's a microaggression. Please please punish him. He's triggering me exactly. Yeah, I got to rewrite this to make it even more sickening. Let's see. The king then declines speech. The tiger will be punished with three days of silence.
Speaker 2: Got to keep his giant, beitoothed mouth shut. That's the punish.
Speaker 4: The donkey jump with joy and went on his way, content and repeating, the grass is blue, the grass is blue. The tiger asks the lion, your majesty, why have you punished me? After all the grass is green. The lion replied, you've known and seen that the grass is green. The tiger asked, so, why do you punish me. The lion replied, that has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is degrading for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with an ass and on top of that, you came and bothered me with that question just to validate something you already knew was true. The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about the truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand others who are blinded by ego, hatred, and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right, even if they aren't.
Speaker 2: So arguing with the.
Speaker 4: Actual donkey, the donctivist, if you will, I can.
Speaker 2: See what I won't, I can say I like it.
Speaker 4: A great example of this is when you have the two activist groups screaming at each other in the street over the barricades, and the poor cops are rolling their eyes thinking, oh my god, I hope I go home without getting.
Speaker 2: Hit over the head with something that's stupid.
Speaker 4: But if the donkeys of the world have taken over your public school, don't you have to As the lion point out that they're teaching the lion cubs perverse thing.
Speaker 2: Does it ever do any good? I'm not sure it ever does any good? Like you, of course it does. Well, you have to uh, well, you're not going to convince them. You just have more people, I guess. I guess the thing would be if you got other people like witnessing this, and you've got to convince them, but convincing the one the one person they're not going to change their mind. Well, right, And that's what.
Speaker 4: Bothers me a little bit about this parable, and it's thought provoking anyway. Is if you go if you as the tiger, for instance, saying confused adolescent girls should not be told they're actually little boys because puberty scary, especially for girls.
Speaker 2: If you are the tiger.
Speaker 4: Advocating that, and you go to the lion of the electorate, that's what you have to do. I mean, if it's just a story about animals in the forest at each other, then it's not a parable. It's just a mildly amusing story. But if it's a parable, it obviously has.
Speaker 2: Something to do with as a humankind.
Speaker 4: And if you've got the donkey pitching that the grass is blow oh and it's like infected the public schools and your kids come home with a dad, you're wrong, the grass is blue. And my teacher says, you're a hater and a racist for saying that you gotta go to the lion, don't you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I suppose, But I think the parable works for just individuals which I was picturing. I wasn't picturing the public square is just if I recognize the guy at the end of the bar is like the donkey about some topic, I'm not going to engage them. What's the freaking point?
Speaker 4: Oh I agree with that one hundred percent Katie's thoughts on the donkeys.
Speaker 2: There's no place in time or space where donkeys and lions have been in the same orbit, is there unless the lion's already full, let alone talking donkeys and talking lions. Yeah, that's what I was stuck on. Yeah, a donkey lion having a conversation. This is baffling, exactly. It's a parable. You know, I'm skull, come on over my head. Yeah, you're right. It's an individual thing and fair enough and very very true. Do not Well, I know some people feel it seems like they enjoy it. There's no point in arguing with some people about some topics. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and the fact that a lot of people just want to be quote unquote they want to win the argument.
Speaker 2: They don't care if they're right. It works both ways too. I mean, sometimes I've been I don't think I've ever said this, but I've been in conversation before where I could say, look, I've thought and read about this a lot. Nothing's gonna change my mind. I mean, you can say it louder and slower if you like your opinion, but it's not going to change my mind.
Speaker 4: So or you can hint that I'm an idiot for not agreeing with you, but you're really wasting your time and mine, you donkey. Interestingly enough, Kentucky bluegrass is not blue either.
Speaker 2: It's slightly bluer. I was disappointed in that by a kid as a kid, not by a kid as a kid. When I heard about bluegrass, I thought, this is gonna be awesome. My dad got bluegrass for the yard, didn't InformATE it. All the other kids are going to be so chell us. Yeah, grass is blue, is merged Simpson's hair. This is gonna be great. You guys just ruined my dad. I didn't know this. You didn't, all right?
Speaker 4: No, never been to Kentucky then, huh.
Speaker 3: No, I have not, and I have all these dreams. I just pictured blue lawns everywhere.
Speaker 2: I pictured that too. Yeah, I pictured that, and I just had it in my mind. It looks so fantastic, turned on not to be true.
Speaker 4: Bluebirds are blue, berries are blue. There's grasses green w.
Speaker 1: T F The Armstrong and Getty Show or your show, podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 4: This is the Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast one more thing, get it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 2: So we're about to play a cliff of John Cougar mellencamp uh talking at a concert. Is this one of the concerts that he's doing with Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan? Or is he on his own here on his own hair? So he's touring with I know he's going to be I think at the Hollywood Bowl in LA which i'd like to see melonhead Willie Nelson and the ancient Bob Dylan. Of course, Bob Dylan's not ancient compared to Willie Nelson, who just turned ninety. All right, it's got to be something when he sings. I was just reading a set list on these concerts, and Willie sings among these classics. Funny, how time slips away? Did it slip away? You've been on ninety years. I don't think it slipped away. Something happened to you when you were thirty, Eh, it was sixty years ago. It didn't just slip away. But I thought the set list would be interesting. It's not really. It's pretty much the songs you expect, melonhead sings, pink houses, and you know that sort of stuff. I wonder why he's touring.
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, he said he had no interest in being a jukebox. If people didn't particularly want to hear new music or new versions of old songs.
Speaker 2: That's fine. He had no interest in being a jukebox. He did get a tooth knocked out by his kid, like a year or so ago. Did that cause him any financial difficulties? He and his son got in a fistfight.
Speaker 4: I don't imagine he can afford basic dentistry.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have no idea of his financial wherewithal. Why is WILLI doing it? That's just what he does. I don't think he can imagine any other life, right, And like Keith Richards the Rolling Stones, why in the world would they play more shows, much less launch a giant tour?
Speaker 5: Well, I think Willie, that's what they do. Willie's paying off his tax debts, right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if he still has that. But that story was thirty years ago, Michael. But he also he travels with his sons I've watched some of the videos from the bus and his kids are like sixty so, but he travels with the sons who are in the band too, so it's probably probably a pretty good time. I mean, what would be better than that? Really? Actually, I can't think of anything that would be better than that. So, and then Bob Dylan. I don't know what Bob Dylan's doing. He is a same man. He doesn't the money or the acclaim or the maybe he likes hotels, I don't know. But John Cougar is on stage for a while, and do we need to know anything else about that? Just no, he starts, he's just talking to the crowd. Okay, here we go, and she went.
Speaker 4: It's just like he ready to be a smart like from when I'm talking to Jesus.
Speaker 2: And then he got real quiet. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I mean, Hey, Joe, find this guy and then they see him after the show.
Speaker 2: Anyway, before I was saludely interrupted, guys, I can solve this show right now. I'm just doing.
Speaker 3: Since you've been so wonderful, I'm going to cut about ten songs.
Speaker 2: Out of the show. So that's a tape of over did he actually leave? Wow? And he actually left. That's not cool. Don't let an a hole and the show.
Speaker 4: So you heard that the crowd was entirely on your side, just one guy.
Speaker 2: So it's into a story. Some guy play some music, which is hurtful if you're telling a story that you think is either funny or important or something like that. Right, and but yeah, I think the rest of the crowd was at least willing to listen to your story, if not enthusiastic about it. Yeah, that was weir.
Speaker 4: No, it sounded like they were with him. They laughed at the joke and everything. It was just fine.
Speaker 3: And some of them even went ah, hey at the guy who interrupt them.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people did. Yeah. So then he plays like six bars of Jack and Dian leaves. Wow. Yeah, he's old and bitter. I ain't have time for that. I have thought about this a lot. I so on Charlie Rose, which I miss a lot. The TV show he had in the same week. I think John Mellencamp and John Prine. If you don't know Joan Prine, he was a very old singer songwriter who never had commercial success like John Mellencamp, but was hugely adored by people who like music. Anyway, He died COVID but had him on both that week, so they're both super old and at the end of their careers. And it struck me how John Prine had what I hope I can have when I'm old, but I don't think I can because I don't even have it now. He just had. He just had like a rye. This is kind of funny, isn't it, view of getting older? I mean, this is almost amusing what this is like, the health problems and the this and the that, and the kids and the marriage and just the way these songs were like that too. But John Mellencamp was clearly a bitter it went by too fast, sad, and I relate to those feelings, but just you know, I wish I wish I were still thirty, you know, that sort of thing, And I thought those are there's two really good examples, has nothing to do with being famous. Of how you approach getting older. You either just accept it and kind of enjoy it and marvel at its everything that's it's evolved, or be really bitter that you're not thirty and cool anymore, like Mellencamp was. And I just thought that was interesting, and I can say heard a little of it there. Yeah, I think. Well, let me start with this.
Speaker 4: Was playing golf the other day and we saw some distance away a mutual friend talked about him a little bit. One of the most cheerful guys you've ever met. This guy wakes up in the morning, cheerful, he goes to bed cheerful. He's just made like that, and it's it's an amazing blessing. And I commented to my buddy, who also has a more than one kid, I said, anybody who's raised multiple kids knows you come out of the womb like that, or you don't. I've always said that, And this number is pulled out of my imagination that you got maybe about fifteen twenty percent around the edges. You can push yourself in this way or push yourself in that way, but you are who you are.
Speaker 2: And I just I don't know.
Speaker 4: Could John Mellencamp have ever been John Prine in his old age?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I don't know. I don't know either. You're I think you're right about that.
Speaker 4: And at fifteen and twenty percent, you could either go fifteen percent more bitter and awful or fifteen percent more cheerful and optimistic, and that that makes a big difference in your life. I'm not saying it's insignificant. I'm just and my buddy's name is Dan. I was born annoyed. I'm never going to be Dan, right, and I love the guy and we're good friends. Actually, I think my acerbic eye rolling view of the world is amusing to him, and blah blah whatever it works. The one thing I know, and I try, I've tried to be honest about this with myself. All of us want, all of us attribute our good qualities to choice and our bad qualities to genetics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a strength of character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the good things about me are because I chose to be that way, and I.
Speaker 2: Worked hard to be that right, right. I gotta admit when I when I was taking in the two different attitudes about growing old and your and your your best days being behind you, I related to the emotions of John Mellencamp a lot more than John Brown. I'd like to be like John Bryan, but I feel in my head, in my heart more like John Mellencamp, for whatever reason, because I think I'm born that way.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 2: This is where I am.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then there's the question of epigenetics, which is one of my favorite things I've ever learned. You have your genetics, but then you've got a bunch of things in your genes.
Speaker 2: Try to end up with a half cat, half dog sort of situation. Is that what that is? Yeah, that's that's right, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, No, it's there are like triggers that you have genetically, and if certain things happen to you or you run into them, that those switches might be flipped. But if you don't go through those things, they won't be If your environment is you have good nutrition or whatever, it'll never manifest itself itself. It's not like the entirety of who you are is determined by your genetics. Your experience and your life plays a role too in various ways. But you know, we're in the early days of really understanding that stuff.
Speaker 2: I just remember. So they both sang songs that week, and John Prine's song at that time. This is the last album before he died. I think it was When I Get to Heaven, And there's a line in there something about I'm gonna kiss that pretty girl on the tilted Whirl. I'm gonna smoke a cigarette that's nine miles long. It's it's like looking back on the best parts of your life and wanting to relive them, or getting to smoke cigarette again. And John Couer had a line in his song and all your best efforts don't amount to anything anymore, And I thought, wow, that's just such two different views of where you are at the end of your career. And one of you is happy and one of you is miserable. But like you said, maybe you can't control that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know. That's interesting acceptance is that how much of that is inborn your capacity to just accept your life and it's reality.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a really bitter old person. I think I'm pretty bitter young. Yeah, well I can see that. I will be quite self deprecating, but a bitter Oprah.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, or Jack your show, podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 2: Hey we're Armstrong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast one more thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Fathers get a day, but we get a month of alphabet soup.
Speaker 2: I like to the alternate people, what I don't think that's the society is this. I think that's the point of Pride Month.
Speaker 4: And that's so it's all due respect to my my gay friends who are uniformly with the meme I saw the other day.
Speaker 2: LGB is all we need. The rest is not us well, and it's not just a month, as you know, there are a whole bunch of other weeks and days around the same theme throughout the years, so it's not just a month a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but fathers get a day. And the reason that into my mind as we have some kind of Father's Day related stuff and you know, maybe it would have been better then because fathers only get one day. Then you ought to shut up about the importance of fathers.
Speaker 2: Hey, you weren't here on Friday when Katie and I and Michael had the discussion that we've had for many years of looking for a Father's Day card and trying to find one that's not a joke about flatulence or drinking beer or watching TV. Mother's Day cards are all you know, There are some joke Mother's Day cards, but there's tons of how important and valued and crucial mothers are. Dad's Day cards are all jokes about. Yeah, what I just said yeah, yeah, very true.
Speaker 4: So anyway, why would be we be in the least hesitant to continue Father's Day thoughts or respect or that sort of thing. Let's begin with Clip Tenant's Tristan cass Casas. He's a Boston Red Sox player, telling us a story about his dad.
Speaker 6: So I'm in coach pitch and you know, I'm so young, I don't really know what's going on at this point. Still, I'm still just playing baseball just to burn calories and get out there and get some son right right. And you know, I get out one day and I come back to the dug out crying, pissed, And you know, that's that's what a six year old does. He sits on the bench and he cries, and he doesn't want to go out there when you know.
Speaker 2: His team's playing defense.
Speaker 6: So my dad, you know, being the dad that he is, trying to teach me the lessons that he did in his own special way, came into the dugout. He actually grabbed me by my shirt, dragged me to the line, and looney Tune style kicked me out onto the field and actually had one of my best friends that I went to high school with. Later he ended up playing pro ball. His mom actually called child services. I'm like dad at the field, no, no, no, for real, there's no joke at the field. I see my dad go away in the cop car gets arrested.
Speaker 2: Send the nice of joke here.
Speaker 6: But that day, that day, my dad taught me a super valuable lesson that not a lot of people know. And it's that I had a responsibility to my teammates, I had a responsibility to my coaches, to the parents that showed up that day, all the fans who were at that little league game, whatever it may be, to go out there and give my best effort, no matter how I was feeling on the bench, no matter what I was going through that day, or whatever little hardship that I was feeling when I got out, that I still apply every single time, because sometimes I just want to sit down on this bench after I get out and I want to weave and I want to cry. But that's that's not how baseball is. So yeah, I love my dad to death. I wouldn't have this opportunity without him. But yeah, funny little excerpt that's about that. That's the type of gay my dad is.
Speaker 2: So that's true that I like the Looney Tuth reference. It is an amazing story.
Speaker 3: That took a turn though she called CPS and they actually spent the night in jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, did not see that coming. Wow. Yeah, Ed is a good story. Also, like the fact that he's six and he said the reason he was playing was to burn calories get some sun. I ever thought about that when I was six. I better work off this pomp tart.
Speaker 4: Well, wow, that second shot with Chip Cookie was totally unnecessary. I'm gonna go play some baseball. Yeah, that's that's funny. It reminds me of a conversation we've had before that you know, the and it's a cliche and certainly the roles overlap. But when little Johnny skins his knee, Mom is, oh honey, oh no, and Dad's like, you'll be fine, You'll be great, and that whole And I remember my dad was my baseball coach a lot too, and he would come out to the mound when I was pitching, and I've said this, told this story before too. He'd say get this guy out or I'm gonna pull you. And it wasn't cruelty. It was a way to focus me and to say you know you have a job to do. Here is what it is. I'm not out of here. I'm not out here to tell you everything's gonna be okay, because telling you go do it is telling you everything's going to be okay, telling you, ah, you're fine, go run and play. It's a empowering message to look at me a man to man, even as like a fifteen year old, and say focus, get.
Speaker 2: This guy out.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a compliment shift we've experienced. Yeah, i'd say, oh yeah, I can.
Speaker 4: Plus, you know, as I've said before, I was like, you, damn right, I'm getting this guy out.
Speaker 2: You're not pulling me. And it's just it's that's.
Speaker 4: What coaching is. That's what man to man coaching is. Now, it can cross the line into being an a hole if you're a bad coach, but it was a very good coach.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Anxiety. It's going to cause anxiety.
Speaker 3: This is reminded me of a story my dad told me. He played football in high school and my grandfather, his dad was a surgeon, and my dad took a cleat to the shin during a game and my granddad sewed him up in the team. Team locker room and then said get your ass back out there.
Speaker 2: And this was during the Civil War, Yeah, pretty much, I as well been mid sixties.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, Katie, do we need any setup for clip twelve?
Speaker 3: No, this is just where we're headed if this woke crap continues.
Speaker 7: Hey, non binary offspring, Hey, non gender specific parent. Just wanted to let you know that dinner is ready if you can sent to it. Of course I don't. I don't consent. Well, I was thinking maybe in an hour or so, if you're up to it, me and your other non gender specific parent can sit in the living room and breathe for a little bit if it doesn't trigger you. Of course, you know, I'm not sure if I'm triggered by that or offended. I quite honestly, I don't know what to feel anymore. Trust me, I don't know either.
Speaker 2: Honey.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, did you just call me honey?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 7: I am so sorry. That's harassment. Please don't tweet about this. I already did. Well, it looks like my career is over. Well maybe I think twenty times before you talk, we'll have to live on the streets. Well, that doesn't matter to me, because my feelings are more important than all of our physical well beings. Okay, well, I'm gonna go into the living room and cry I love you.
Speaker 2: You don't have to say it back.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to wow.
Speaker 4: Parent and child in the year twenty sixty.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. I don't know if I'm triggered or offended. I don't know what I'm feeling anymore. I can't believe that dude's dad spent the night in jail. Yeah, all right, I gotta ask how hard did he kick him? I don't know.
Speaker 4: The boy looking back is he's full of love and he did the right thing and laughing about it, So yeah, he does.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Wow, that's quite a story.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: They kicked each other pretty hard in those Limy Tunes cartoons.
Speaker 2: Occasionally it was borderline brutality. Michael, you quit right, The Armstrong and Getty Show.