Speaker 1: If this is the meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listening podcast, you can't predict anything. The meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I t E dot com. Welcome to the meat Eater Podcast. Where we're you wound called broadcasting. We're recording in a airplane hair plane hanger, yeah, next to a two o six. If you, guys, if this was a better show, we'd let you look that way. I argued in setting up that that is is way more interesting than over here. It's busy. Yeah, well if you could. If you if they had done it the way I thought, and you're watching on on you're watching the video on YouTube, you'd be looking at a big old welding project where there's like a frame of a cub getting all welded together, and it's held up in this kind of jig apparatus to support the whole thing, and there's all kinds of tools laying around and just looks awesome. But instead you got just a regular old plane.
Speaker 2: So pretty cool, pretty cool plane.
Speaker 1: That's a good looking plane. It's good. There's nothing wrong with that plane. It was telling you it's better over that way.
Speaker 3: Coolest part about that plane that people can't see is it says forestry on the wing.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh? Joining it by av so cool? Joining it by Avanthalker, who's on the show for the second time. Yeah, do you remember what do we call the last time you came on?
Speaker 2: What was the name of it? Yeah, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: You did a good job on that one.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks.
Speaker 1: I keep wanting to sing my new song about Chili, just to show people that it's not like that big of a deal. What's not that big of a deal, right, it's just writing songs. Whatever. Listen to this one. Chili's rifle man, gonna make his final stand. See how far I got on that.
Speaker 4: It sounded like he almost forgot the second line.
Speaker 1: The second line was I just repeat the first line. It was Chili's a rifle man. Chili's a rifle man, Oh, rifle in his hand, gonna make his final stand. So now you're hooked dude, because you're hooked, because you're like, tell me more about the final stand, but.
Speaker 5: Knowing you probably won't, you probably won't write anything more to it, I'd say.
Speaker 1: I'd say it's more of like a marching or hiking cadence. Well, we're hiking, fixing the hike when I'm.
Speaker 3: Talking about seven days to come off the bats.
Speaker 2: All, it takes time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my song, my song is faltering, and uh, that's that what I want to do. Though. So we're coming from we're in this here aircraft hangar, and we're coming from uh spending four or five days, six six nights, at least six nights six nights doing like a little backpack based fly in airplane hunt. And when we got into it, we we had this argument about I was I was taking like I was playing Devil's advocate on this argument where the guys here were talking about looking at packing lists. Okay, someone looking at packing lists, and I was just, for no reason at all, assuming the position of someone who didn't think that was constructive that you just felt like arguing, Yeah, I feel like arguing nothing. There's nothing like big to argue about. Rick can't said anything like totally stupid.
Speaker 4: Did you bring your iyem ask?
Speaker 3: That's the question.
Speaker 4: Did you bring your iyem ask?
Speaker 1: No? No, So so I think what I was saying was this. I was saying, it's very Subjective's subject highly subjective, because there's like things that work for people and things that don't work for people. And I was saying, how I could go online and trick you guys and make a packing list for something that's coming up and then put crazy stuff on it and then laugh when you brought it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I was trying. I was trying to tell you that I have the ability in my mind to be like that will work for me, that won't type of thing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's a good reminder I should bring that.
Speaker 1: Yeah it dark, Yeah, that's it. Wasn't thinking that that I should probably take that. So that's the attitude with which you approach.
Speaker 6: Pack Yeah, not like if I was watching yours and you're like, oh, I have a I was gonna, yeah, pushbrew.
Speaker 4: Clean out your tent, just like one of those little guys. Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally No, the list and then buried right in the middle. List is like a push broom and see if people bring it.
Speaker 4: See Conrad did not look at the list and he used a sock to cover his eyes, which worked out pretty well.
Speaker 1: So what I want to do, I want to do. I want to do a gear thing for a minute. What I want to do is not what you brought, not what you brought. But if everyone can think real quick, you can raise your hand when you're ready. Not what you brought, but like so so backpack hunting in June in the mountains in east central Alaska, spring bear hunting more like early summer bear hunting, because like it starts turning the winter again in a couple of months, you know, like September it'll snow right well, snow in August.
Speaker 3: It's like early summer in the valley winter up tops.
Speaker 1: Not what not, not what you brought that you like? What do you what? What? What was the thing you wish you had done to different packing? Something you'd change, should have brought like a packing insight. Oh, if you're ready, because I could go, I had time to know that I was gonna do this.
Speaker 4: I brought really ultra light rain pants.
Speaker 1: You first give your credentials.
Speaker 4: My name is Rick, one of the camera guys.
Speaker 1: Well I'll do it better than that. When you're watching a nature When you're watching Nature documentary and there's like some crazy thing happens, You're like, how in the world did they ever film that? Rick did it? No?
Speaker 4: No, I've I work on this show more than I work on Nature documentary.
Speaker 1: But you do work on nature occasionally, don't be mine?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: His brother's doctor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Morgan, this is your podcast. Shout out all your your buddies up there. And hell Rick's parents are very proud of his brother. Yeah, ultra light pants.
Speaker 1: No, I want to get back to your credentials.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I've been working on this show since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been working with us for a million years. But sometimes remember when you went to that golf course and you had to just wait there forever waiting for and kill a dump or something.
Speaker 4: BBC Natural History Unit shoot, and you just.
Speaker 1: Spent you just spend a boatload of time waiting for a bunch of wolves to kill a moose.
Speaker 4: Yep up for a Disney Plus show with Bertie Gregory. So yeah, somewhat wildlife wildlife film Polar Bears, which is cool film Polar Bears. Yeah, yeah, where in the Hudson Bay south of Churchill.
Speaker 1: So like I was saying, yeah, so when you watch some animals do something, rick pro filming it.
Speaker 4: Well, or yeah, or I'm filming the guy filming it. You know, I'm in the he's in the mix, in the mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now you wish you'd have broad well I was.
Speaker 4: You know, the weight we have to carry just a lot of batteries, so then you try to like go ultra light on everything else. So my rain pants were very thin, and I brought puffy pants thinking, oh, you know, those will keep me warm and we go up high. But I think I should have brought thicker rain pants. It's wind production and not not bothered with the ultra light little ones. I mean going through the alders. If it was wet, it would have been uh, those pants wouldn't have survived. So no puffies, No puffies, Yeah I had I had one too many insulation layers. I cannot.
Speaker 1: You know, when it's my turn, I'm going to do something that I have dialed and something that I don't. So go ahead and hit something that you think is something in your your general program that's dialed.
Speaker 4: I think my using I sweat a lot, and so it's humid, and I use a synthetic, like that first layer synthetic and then the rest of my stuff's wool. So I think that's the like when you when we hike, we generally hike super fast and hard. And Steve's still wearing like all of his layers and his gloves, and I'm in a like a T shirt sweating, and uh so I think I got my my bass layer game suitable for me.
Speaker 1: I didn't have you pegged as a sweaty man.
Speaker 4: Oh god, just if I just start thinking too hard.
Speaker 1: Breakout and sweat. Yeah, you know, we hike hard and we sit hard, right, that's yeah, this is the thing.
Speaker 4: So if you look at if you look at like ultra light hiking lists, they're all made for hiking, stopping and going to bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: We we do this thing where we hike really hard and then we sit in spots that you would never camp in because they're cold and they're windy, and you're exposed and you're not in your tent and you're not in your sleeping bag. So you have to bring more insulation layers and than somebody that's just doing like a fast through hike situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're right, you get all worked up and you sit and then all of a sudden a while lay like freezing. My asks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're not normally if if it gets cold and you're through hiking, you're just you're sleeping in like your little comfy sleeping bag. We're just sitting out on a knob, last one for a couple hours.
Speaker 1: So that's what you got dial Yeah, Okay, who wants to go next? We're saving Evan for last. Evan's still formulating you got one already because he's you're still that was Chilli, because because Evan's still acclimating to the like you're like a horse guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't ever backpacked before.
Speaker 1: So you're you're still agregating to all the like the fancy materials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's nice. I mean it's like, oh yeah, it's a lot less stuff to deal with.
Speaker 1: Okay, keep stewing on that, Okay, working on it. If you can put it into like a song for him, right Limerick, Okay, Chilli, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 3: Oversight the one thing I would have done better, Like I wasn't.
Speaker 5: I kind of knew but didn't really fully grasp like the fact that you know how it would affect sleeping, like with the sun being out.
Speaker 3: All night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about just how bright it is. Like what activities could you do all night whatever you do during the day. You could shoot a rifle, yeah, at any distance all night.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you wanted to, you could go completely. You can flip your day completely. Yeah, Like if you wanted to bear hunt from six pm to you know, four am, four am, you know, be no different. You could do that and then sleep all during the regular day hours that light out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so with that, like the effect that the sun had on the tent, like when we were sleeping, kind of it wasn't like terrible, but it kind of made it like a little warmer than what you would get or a lot warmer than what you get if you had like actually darkness. And so I found that when I'm in my sleeping bag, it got a little humid and like my legs would like it'd get kind of sticky because it kind of sweat a little bit. So if I had to bring something, it would be like a pair of like top long Johns, So like my legs went stick together.
Speaker 1: And I hate, I absolutely hate that you got sweaty thighs, is what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yes, And I'm a pretty light sleeper and anything that's wrong I will wake me up or make me cause me to move.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I probably would have done that.
Speaker 1: That was my thing.
Speaker 5: But on the flip side, the thing that I think I did really well was like my sleeping system set up was like you know, like had I had one of those Nemo accordion pads and then I had a Nemo or a Thermoresque inflatable pad and that was like probably and like plus my nice uh sleeping system that was pretty dialed. Actually, my sleeping system saved your ass.
Speaker 1: I'll get through that. Okay, that's my oversight. Save Steve's life. So I forgot what you got dialed the sleeping my sleeping set up, oh yeah, which is what I don't have dialed. Yeah, yeah, you know what you're talking about, Like that feeling you get of everything sticky and I just sleeping bag. After a few nights, I wear those. I sleep in those arrow wool boottop ones boottop ELK super thin arrow will bootop LJ because it keeps you from getting that feeling like you're glued to the fabric. Of your bag.
Speaker 3: I hate that.
Speaker 2: And Seth that's the way Seth was.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: We shared a tent and he had those on every night. I just get jealous. I also sleep in an arrow will top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. Yeah, so I don't stick all gluey to my bag right weight top. Same, Thanks for sharing, Chili, I'm ready, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I did not bring gators on this trip, which oversight oversight.
Speaker 1: I just forgot him. I so it sounds like someone's reading a bad packing list.
Speaker 6: Well, it was on the packing list. I just I actually had him said out and then I just forgot him. Gators would have been nice. And another thing I give like a right well stream crossings. It rained half the time over half the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a forty eight hour rain stretch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're going through thick altars and willows and you just end up with wet pants.
Speaker 1: So I wish I had gators.
Speaker 6: And then I wish I would have brought the lightweight at like orange attless gloves for the rain rainy days. Oh, because I soaked out my leather gloves.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, man, that's a good point. Yeah, I've done that in the pass on rainy, rainy stuff. But yeah, you'd bring like rubber commercial fishing gloves yep, and just be like screw it now, dude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like they're not super heavy to where you're like, you know, too hot, but they're you know, just enough to take the edge off and you just don't get your gloves wet.
Speaker 1: When I publish my gear list, that might put that in there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we'll read it, Seth, and I'll probably read that gear. And the thing that I had dialed was my water system. I think tell us more liter and a half Nalgene bottle and two of those collapsible like platypus bottles, No big ol' ms R bladder Nope, nope, just two of those, and I would stay like the stuff that I felt like I needed to stairy pen. I would just do that in the in the now gene. And then the two platypus bottles were like my dirty water bottles, so I would fill those up and then fill up my big bottle and then I would stairy pen in that, and then the as I needed I would take from the platypus bags dump into the Nalgene bottle.
Speaker 1: Then and you're happy with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean a lot of the stuff we drank from we didn't didn't need to.
Speaker 1: I didn't purify a thing the whole trip. We were higher than the beavers. Yeah, and we're just drinking water out of Glacier.
Speaker 3: That stuff that came out of that side drainage that we went up that you said was like the the Grayling stream, Yep, that stuff was just seems so pure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: The Glacier River had a little bit of like silty clo oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a lot of that. And you know, I was bringing this up and I shouldn't even bring it up because I'm not. I'll bring it up with the with the caveat that. I don't don't know if this is true. I feel like guys that live up here have told me that there's like that it's that drinking too much of that, that it's not good to drink too much of that glacial till or they just don't like it. So when I'm with my brother Danny, they'll bring a they'll bring a like a picture like a big collapsable dog bowl yep. Like it's like a like a duffel bag that's made out of that what the hell's the material on? Todd trying to think of like a it's like a duffel bag bucket. I don't un till you call it just like a waterproof Yeah, like a waterproof bag bucket. Yeah. And they'll dip will dip out of that three four gallons at night and then let's settle and then drink it in the morning and in the morning when it's not being agitated by flow in the morning. It's just like an eighth of an inch of just clay, yea laying on the bombs stuff. So they'll set it out at night just to let it settle, to not drink it. But I feel like they were someone was telling me something about that. It's not just like that, you shouldn't do that too much. I could be making that up. So don't stop drinking glacial till based on what I'm telling you do your own reasons.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe looking back, I would I would probably liked to have had a filter for that stuff instead of just to get the till out. Just to get the till out, you run through your underwear. Well you had more till, yeah, but no, that's that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Conrad, give your background. You never been on the show before? No, first time, first time on the Mediator podcast. But Brad Brooks has been on the podcast and you're his friend. Yep.
Speaker 3: I'm an old climbing buddy at Brad Brooks. I grew up climbing with him for a number of years.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Started filming with him some of his hunts a couple of years ago, never hunted before. He was like, you want to go film some film some hunts and I know you can keep up. And I was like, yeah, let's do it. And UH went out for about a week and a half on a rifle elk hunt and I thought it was just awesome, just running around in the woods.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: And then had been filming with him for a couple of years. UH, and then got connected with you guys with through Brad and then oh, so he's not pissed at you with us, No, he's I told him, And he was like, oh, yeah, that's awesome. He he can acted me with Sam.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then my buddy Drew Smith his brothers with with Dirt and he connected me with Dirt and had a good conversation with him, and and we have a lot of the same background. He fought fire. I fought fire. We were a year apart at a in Neats Bay in Alaska. I worked up there in a hatchery and and he was on a boat up there, and so yeah, here here I am. And it's awesome.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I kept calling dirt two point zero. Yeah, yeah, Sam sat a couple of times too. Yeah, that's yeah. And he recommended me and I had never met him, so that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well that might be like a Garrett did the wedding, so you know, or or didn't. Sounds like.
Speaker 3: We had a thirty minute conversation. He was like, you're like, yeah, I'll put in a good word for you. And I was like, man, I've never worked with you. You don't have to do that, but I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm glad he did this. But it was a fun hang out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, super fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit me with your hit me with your insights. Yeah, I forgot Long John's this trip. I I I wish you'd have brought it up. Well, when I get to my thing, you'll know why you should have brought it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I forgot Long John's. I realized it on the on these gonna be like I had. I realized it on the on the drive.
Speaker 1: Why did you say anything?
Speaker 3: I told Sam and she and she was like, oh, do we need to get you long John's ad. No, I didn't want to complain, was just tough it out. But anyway, should have brought long John's.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I probably would have brought an extra bass layer for the top just for sleeping with all this wet weather.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's nice to get in your bag and have have dry clothes him. So those those are the two things I would have would have brought.
Speaker 1: And then what do you what? What? What like? What thing in your pack? And thing feels like just totally tight. I think my sleeping system earplugs because I'm sleeping with Rick and he snores. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it used to me and I did not know this. I don't know about it has developed recently. But a nice tent, nice sleeping bag, good good pad sleeps. Sleep for me is super important after big, long days. So the more sleep I can get, the better. Blow up pad, blow up pad, yeah, exo pad uh, and our golly sleeping bag twenty degree bag super warm and then our golly uh uh two p tent got it?
Speaker 1: Yep, and that's like the new fan dangled floorless single wall tents.
Speaker 3: Yep, single wall super waterproof. Got a little condensation problems when it's when it's raining out, but every ten has that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't.
Speaker 3: We me and me and Rick were throwing back and forth if we need to bring an insert, and when we came up here and it's all that snow, we didn't bring an insert and just rule the doll floorless. And it was a pound to carry around your backpack.
Speaker 1: So that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's super nice.
Speaker 1: You ready, You know you have to do yours yet, because I can do mine. You can if you just get nervous. You want to get it over with.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, let's do it.
Speaker 1: You want to hit it.
Speaker 2: So the thing that I the only the only thing that I missed when uh, when I was up there because you guys told me what to get or got got me rigged out, was I wished I had some shoes to walk around camp in. Wish I brought that. Yeah, if I could get away with the Yeah, but just because putting your boots on after you've been in them for a while, which the boots were Honestly, I was talking about it yesterday. They're good, like pretty comfortable boots, but still kind of putting them back on to slip around to go do whatever you need to do around the camp. And uh, as far as being dialed in, I was not dialed in, but I had.
Speaker 1: I did wear.
Speaker 2: I can't take credit for being dialed in.
Speaker 1: Like I had.
Speaker 2: As far as my layers went, there were they were good. I had or Long John's the whole trip, and two sets of like a T shirt over the long Johns on top, and pretty much slept in my clothes and brought like a couple pairs of socks to dry one and do the other gaiters and stuff like that. It was I mean, I can't think of a time I was particularly like the temperature or rain was bothering me, you know. And if you got cold, you could put that extra layer of rain rain gear on and you can stay pretty warm even sitting still.
Speaker 1: And you didn't blow up your sleeping pad till the third night.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know how to do it.
Speaker 1: Sleeping on the ground.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good, but like the sleeping pad's real real good. I got in there and I didn't see like the blow up bad and I was trying to blow it up with my mouth and I was like, oh, this is not gonna work.
Speaker 6: I just.
Speaker 1: Defeated like the again. Man was yell over to my tent area and.
Speaker 2: But it it, it all worked out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Here's here's my problem. Uh. I used to never use inflatable pads. Sleep pads, but the best thing in the world until so I got mine. Really, I was kind of in like a little puddle for a while, and I went to dry my bag and got some not even ambers. Dude like ash put some burn some holes in my pad. I was trying to dry my pad and I burned some holes in my pad. Couldn't find all the suns of bitches. Found one one night, found not one of the other nights, still one thing in it. And you realize that, Uh, you put a lot of faith in those. You put a lot of faith in something that's pretty fallible. I mean they're great, but they're fallible. And Rick was carrying a blow up pad and he had a little halfy a little one of those.
Speaker 4: I guess just in case, just you can use it as a pad when you're glassing.
Speaker 1: But you said in case, my thing, I don't like I don't usually pack with a ton of in cases, but those I got two sleeping bags in case something happens to sleep.
Speaker 4: And it is sort of the in cases the problem with packing. If you bring all the stuff in case, then you just have too much ship.
Speaker 1: But the blow up pad is the vulnerability. Chili brought a blow up pad and underpad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Because I didn't I don't have a tarp like where like or like a footprint to lay down like on the just on the ground in between you and your and your blow up mattress or blow up had. So instead of just going to buy one sporadically, I just I had this Accordion Nemo phone pad, the one that we all used to kind of sit down on the ground when we're glassing, just a full length one.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I'll just use that on the ground. It's like six seven ounces or whatever it is.
Speaker 5: Strive it to the bottom of my pack, like it's not gonna the footprint of it's not gonna like cause me to have to get a bigger bag or anything. So yeah, that was kind of my thinking and it worked. It worked great, And luckily Seth had like a little plastic thing as well, so I could throw that down and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just kind of just like a tart if not comfortable, more comfortable, yep. Yeah, I brought a little chunk of before I left. It was like the last thing I grabbed was just a little chunk of plastic that I used to like cover my garden when it frosts.
Speaker 2: And I threw that in.
Speaker 6: I was like, ah, just in case, like I need to put something under my sleeting pad or whatever. And then Chile ended up grabbing me a footprint from the store Janet, But so I still had that and then gave it out to Chili.
Speaker 1: Uh. What I got dialed is over the years on backpacking, over the years I have I have pretty much eliminated any changes of clothes extra clothes, yeh, with one exception. I keep in a dry bag, the extra set of bass layers, extra set of thin bass layers. I keep the driving and like this never touched them as much as it rained. I left them in there because it's like I leave them in there being like if something bad happens, I can get in my bag, which I keep in a dry bag, I can get in my bag with dry stuff at night. But I've gotten overcarrying any kind of extra anything. Well that's not I carry a pair of socks. I cart one pair of socks because the worst case, you washed pair in the creek, put them on your back to dry. I got rid of all that kind of junk, like, oh I have extra pants, I might want to change my shirt. I just I have the one thing I'm wearing, and like, you just get used to it. It's funky, you get over it. And I don't care any kind of extra clothes except for those except for those lj's that I have as an insurance policy. Or should a camera guy forget his ljs? Well, now I know I would have happily dipped me my extra ljs.
Speaker 3: I brought an extra like mid layer, wool ool mid layer, and I never touched it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: It's like the one thing I was like, I should have just left this behind.
Speaker 1: Because what happens when you do when you bring extra clothes is there was mornings when I was like to myself, thinking, man, I don't want to put them clothes on, mm hmm, But then you to put the other ones on, and then those ones are messed up too, and then now you just got whatever you yeah, instead of one pair of pants that are now dry because you wore them, now you got one wet ass pair of pants in your backpack. It's just like I just got rid of all that junk. I think it was the coldest it could get. Have what appropriate? So I had like a like a air wool top, synthetic hoodie, brooks Down bast or brooks Down jacket and omen storm shelter rain jacket. That was it. Same thing on my same thing pants, the aarrow wool pants, a pair of pants, and then the lightweight rain pants.
Speaker 6: You mentioned brooks Down Best. I brought one of those, and that's like that's a hot tip in my opinion. It's like very compacts, very tiny. It's like the size of a scroll, very lightly and it's like it's just enough to like take the edge off and like keep your core warm. It's it's a great piece of gear. I forgot I that kind of messed up.
Speaker 5: Pro tip every when you're in the back country, don't forget a spork or a spoon, because then you might be left whittling one and then your buddies might come up after three hours of whittling, saying, I got two extra spins, really good spoon.
Speaker 2: We were having so much fun.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I need to get my little spoon back.
Speaker 1: Well it's mine now. But that's too short. It's too short. Yeah, get a long one, get a long spin. Oh yeah, they make the long dogs just for eat and freeze drive. So I have to give me, give me your give me your impressions, man, like you're you're you're just your general impressions.
Speaker 2: That is like the prettiest country I've ever seen, or as pretty as anything. It's more interesting seeing that glacier, and it's like seeing we We saw more wildlife on this trip than a bunch of stuff I never laid eyes on. But as as far as.
Speaker 1: What we saw for we hit all the we hit six so we had We saw a caribou, doll sheep, ye a moose mm hmmm, wolves, grizzly black bear, yep.
Speaker 3: I think that's it park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got caribou. Yeah, that was that was interesting man, to get to see all that stuff, get see that many sheep, like I feel like not that many people get to even see those things. Yeah, that was that was really neat to me and just being there, being in that that kind of a environment is It's something that you, hm, it's easy to spend a lot of time like making excuses and not getting it done. Like, I'm really happy that I got to go and had a reason to go because it's like really reignited my love for this stuff, just because you you just procrastinate and put it off and then don't get back on the horse, you know. And this was a good one, like a really really good trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you you so you were born in Oklahoma and spent your life in Oklahoma. And I remember telling me that at one point in time you and your dad took took your horses and went out and you guys did are on Western Titan hunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went.
Speaker 1: We just kind of just went and did it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he and I which my dad knows quite a bit about about packing and uh and really about hunting in general. And uh he took me up there and showed me, taught me a whole lot and really gave me like a love for We had a great trip. You know, we were in the elk and we didn't come home with anything, but it didn't matter, you know. It was like we were so close, we had opportunities, we were seeing stuff, and it was like it was the wildest place I'd ever been at that point in time. Everything just feels so, I mean, there's it's easy to be hunting places that are easy to access and feel like it's not authentic enough for me to feel like I'm doing anything sometimes, you know, And when you get back into this stuff that not a lot of people get to see it, it just feels more special to me. And it's just got another it's just another level and more of an experience. But uh, yeah, I love this stuff, Like I've never dreamed that I'd get to fly in on a super cover, be in one ever have reason to be in one, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's yeah, Well, the thing I didn't know about the thing I didn't know about you when we spoke before and just communicated over text message and whatnot, is I didn't know that you got into coon hunting for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was a coon hunter. That was my That's what we did for a long time.
Speaker 1: And so that was the kind of dogs you brought.
Speaker 2: Up for the first dogs I really had that were my first hunting dogs. Yeah, we had I had a few different kinds of coonhounds.
Speaker 1: I had some.
Speaker 2: I had a pretty good plot hound, and I had a couple of blue tick dogs that would tree a coon. And I was, you know, I was fifteen, fourteen to sixteen probably when I was really really into it.
Speaker 1: So like in your high school years, you're going out at night.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, going out, man. I had two or three buddies that that hunted and we'd go every night we could.
Speaker 1: And that was like before the quail thing.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I kind of traded that for for quail hunting.
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 2: I had one good hunt with in front of a good dog in the hills, and we we killed birds. I think I might, I don't think I shot a quail in in the timber. For a year after that trying to. I mean, I had to learn how to shoot because it's it's tough shooting, and I just it was hard and I fell, you know, fell in love with it, and I had I've still got dogs on my place that are descendants of that dog that I went on my first quail hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many dogs you keep knowing? How many bird dogs?
Speaker 2: The bird dogs. I me and my buddy Phil, he's actually training on on some right now. But I've got a I got one wire haired dog that that is mine that I've done everything on. And then we've got to two pointers because I sold sold one, so just some guys that needed one.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get into squirrel dogging? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I went and we had some dogs, you know. We we did a whole lot of that, riding on like horseback riding, shooting with like squirrel hunting. Yeah, training with a dog, and we did a lot of it. It was a lot of fun. We had friends that had a one really good dog, and but I never had I never really had any that I can think of, not on purpose, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you do use your same dogs for waterfowl hunting.
Speaker 2: I have those, Yeah, I have a versatile hunting dog that those draw tars, just the German bread wire hairs are all of them will get in the water. But those are specifically, you know, made to do everything. Like they've been bringing them pretty tight for a long time.
Speaker 1: You know. Everybody's been training up their dogs do now, which kind of like bums me out but kind of makes me jealous. Is got all these dogs now finding morels?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How did they?
Speaker 2: Yeah that that's interesting.
Speaker 1: These little tin looks like a chew tin with a bunch of holes in it. Put some morals in there.
Speaker 2: So you want to want a dog on that you don't want.
Speaker 1: You don't want to I wish it was. It's like just yet another thing that demystifies the morale. But it's yet another thing to demystifies the moral, like them learning to cultivate morels should be illegal, should be illegal to find them with a dog. But since it's not now killing me that I don't have one of them dogs. My brother Danny went out hunting morels and he said they filled a bucket with a dog. And he says, dude, if that while dog wasn't there, it would have been, like you, it'd have been like a two or three it would have been a two or three morel day. Really, yeah, there's probably he's a big mushroom hunter, he said. It would have been yet another two or three morell search. He said, the dog is like bing bing bing bing.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a bunch of gunshot dogs that you could probably turn into a morale dog. That's probably a good job for a bunch of sensitive dogs.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if my dumb little dog.
Speaker 2: Probably I'll take that out with my kids.
Speaker 3: It's nice how you talked about it wouldn't do shit for you.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what the dog does do. Like, it finds. That dog is very good at finding red squirrels, and once it finds one and sees it, it's not leaving. But it doesn't notify you that it found one. So the moral dog that my brother Danny was out with doesn't notify you that it found a morele It just stops doing anything and it stays there. He said, you can probably teach it the bark. I don't know. I don't know if you can teach dogs to bark. It's hard. But he said, that dog just finds morel after morale, after Morrell, after morell. That's cool, I know, I kind of. It's like, but then you're keeping a dog for fifty weeks, for two weeks of action.
Speaker 2: We just like to have a second job.
Speaker 1: Some people just like having a dog because where are gonna put it the rest of the time. Where you gonna keep it the fifty weeks out of the year, you're not hunting on your couch. So tell me, tell me what's going on. Tell me what give me some, Give everybody some. Turnpike Troubadours.
Speaker 2: We put out a record which was kind of a quick turnaround for us. We put out a record in April. What makes a quick turnaround less than two years, you know, or sometimes we've gone like six or seven years between records.
Speaker 1: So that that's pretty speedy, very quick. I was surprised. So when you guys made this album, I'm surprised that you go in and you kind of like it's like a very intense two weeks and you come in like you got your ideas and your basics, but you're really like building it over two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a got a pretty good shell of a song and like an idea and exactly. You know, sometimes I'll have a lot of lyrics and just be sort of trimming them and just editing. And then sometimes it's I come because like sometimes in those high pressure situations, if you don't have to come up with just tons of material door you're just buried in like feeling like you're not gonna make it, you can come up with one idea and complete it really quickly and it's a good you know, it has been in the past for me a good, good idea, like a good song. So yeah, we we went in with just like iPhone recordings of eighty percent of it, ninety percent of it, and would just walk in the studio and flesh it out and play it, you know, and hopefully I didn't have to sing it that day so I could. I'd sing like a rough track or hum of verse or whatever, and then I go back and make sure that the lyrics were exactly how I wanted them.
Speaker 1: And then I had to ask you about this till now. I was kind of wait until now about the you'd contact me at one point and you were looking for a picture of a deer in velvet for the album called Yeah. I never said why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so there's like there are some animal images in that song it's called on the Red River, and uh, I thought we were looking for themes for for artwork while we were in the studio, and I thought, well, what the hell, you know, so let's just put these images up. And like I mentioned a kelpie dog in that song, which is kind of a not the most well known animal in the world, and uh so I thought, well, I'll put one on the cover so when people.
Speaker 1: Ask what it is, it's easy. It's an easy restaur on the cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I thought, well, I'll build off that, you know, and we've so we used they from that that stuff and uh put it put it there in sort of like an old like kind of like the Wild America like filter on it. It looks like, yeah, it looks like with Marty Stafford stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got it. Yeah, and then that's been Uh, that's out. Everybody can go check it out. And you guys are gonna start touring soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll go on like a real tour. We're gonna do some stuff in in the UK and then we come back over here and we do. I want to say it's I told you it was more date sentators. I think it's twenty something dates all over the US.
Speaker 1: So so if people want to come check you.
Speaker 2: Out, yeah, should it should be something to see.
Speaker 1: Dude, I'm gonna make one of them. I'm gonna make one of those dates work and come out. Hell. So my wife's dying to come see you guys. It'll be fun and I'll go along. So I'm gonna fly out and check out one of the shows.
Speaker 2: Try to let you know what's the ones that I know, are best sonically or best to hang out in.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't want to catch you. You got like some town with a bunch of cousins and stuff in it. I need to I need to find a time when there's no one gonna be cousins. Cousins allowed. Yeah, man, I want to come see it bad. So you guys are going to Europe and sometimes you tour and you're with other bands, but your tour is gonna be like a Turnpike Troubadoor tour. This will be our headline headline tour. Yeah, when you go to Europe, you you do. You're part of a broader thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do a few headline and bar shows over there, and then we'll be opening for Zach Bryan, who's draws huge over there.
Speaker 1: Got it? And you brought like a ukulele with you.
Speaker 2: No, it's an old cool cowboy guitar, so like a Marty Robbins's. It's a Martin guitar. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me about that, man.
Speaker 2: It's like a forties model Martin that a guy that works with me named Sherman had this guitar and he said, hey, you should start using that because it's easy, easy to fly with. And then he wound up selling to me that it's a I think Marty Robbins played one of these on some.
Speaker 1: Of those recordings, so it's traveling guitar.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just when I take it can take everywhere because it's so small.
Speaker 1: God, now you're gonna play something. Yeah, you're gonna play the Red River.
Speaker 4: I think so, I think that would be And I gotta make uh move camera.
Speaker 1: Before you start. I tell you something funny. I've walked next to a million dudes singing a million songs out in the woods. It was so weird to hear dudes singing a song. It was like like a like really like a singer because I'm always like, Y need your money. Yeah, there's a lot of that that goes on these shoots. You're like, it should be nice to have a real singer here. I was like, take it away, Evan, I'll take a break for an hour. You sing us a little something.
Speaker 7: And there's a mid July white tell in velvet read as your old Chevrolet. And I was sixteen when yourected and when we're lucky both walked away. You could say were scrape out a living.
Speaker 1: The work for which you've been born.
Speaker 7: You were quick with a live fan forgiving, and tied hard and fast to the horns. We had kelpies and good quarter horses. We had a week pasture yearlings tied down. You learned pain is the prize, serve admission. You're never done paying it.
Speaker 2: Down back on the Red River.
Speaker 3: Not hard to.
Speaker 7: Remember when you Daddy would never get off. I saw the world from the bone your shoulders.
Speaker 2: I remember you.
Speaker 7: When you live like we do, Death doesly with the beastbart On days off could help out our neighbors, for we worked and sweated for free, and you learned every dream with your labor.
Speaker 2: And I'd sleep on your front seat.
Speaker 7: And you'd call it cure for a snake bite. You reach for fifth old crowl Some medicine should get your head right when the symptoms to start to show. Back on the Red River, not hard to remember when you Daddy would never get old. L saw world from the.
Speaker 2: Bone your shoulders. I remember the view.
Speaker 7: When you live like we do, death does leave with the best party. How the cars lined up down the driveway haven't really been gone two years night beyond my third On a good day down the last bottle. It's Saturday started without you, and I knew before.
Speaker 1: I got the car.
Speaker 7: Alaridge. July bucks are in Vail. I tell you all abouttle this fall from back on the Red River.
Speaker 5: Not hard to.
Speaker 7: Remember when your taddy would never get off lie solt world from my bone, your shoulders, I remember.
Speaker 4: You when you live like we do.
Speaker 7: Death doesn't me with the best party. You gotta look at the world from my bone, your shoulders, and I remember the view when you live like we do. Death doesn't me with the best party.
Speaker 1: All right, man, it's good, I thinks soon, all right, catch them when they head out on the road Turnpike. Troubadour is heading out when I think.
Speaker 2: In July, it's in July.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Yeah, coming up. Okay. Oh, there's the thing I gotta I gotta do my own little deal here. Oh so Season three This is hot from Krinn. Season three of our kids podcasts, Meet Eater Kids is out. So if you don't remember the way Meet Eater Kids podcast works, it's a three acts show. There's like a history, lesson, wildlife, lesson whatever comes out in the beginning. I've done them. Clay's doing around right now. So it's like uh history and wildlife. According to Clay, Act two is for your kids. We start building that we find animals that have like a wide, wide array of vocalizations, and we start laying in the vocalizations, like real recordings of real animals doing vocalizations, and we start giving clues until you build up to where kids guess them. So if you kids are real smart, he'll guess it right away. If you needs help, he'll take them while to guests, you can tell it's a way to suss out how well are you kids doing? In is that outdoor education? Then three it's kids Trivia, So kids are gang of kids doing kids trivia. The objective is to for them to work together to work up a pot of money which goes to a conservation outdoor conservation group that benefits kids. So that that's the kids podcast. Season three is out now. The season dropped on June thirty. You can get episode two out today, so go listen and subscribe on the new Meat Eater Kids podcast feed and then go buy your tickets to go see Turnpike Troubadors. Now, when you get your bear rug back, you can have that all laid out on stage. Is it gonna tour with you.
Speaker 2: It's too nice to tick on the road.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not on the road, so when you go, don't be surprised. You don't see a new bear rug doesn't mean he ain't got one. Having foulker Turnpike. Thanks going on the show Man. Thanks having us, get your gear, your pack right, and uh blow your air mattress up but don't pop it. Thanks again,