Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support.
Speaker 3: But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 2: We're back, everybody, and we just witnessed profound moment I think in American history great.
Speaker 1: I'm feel great about the country out of her Bik.
Speaker 2: That one's going down in the history books. I mean, the single takeaway. I wish we could sit here as people who like policy and who would like to get into the back and forth, and the profound truth is we just witnessed, I mean one of the saddest political moments, like maybe the political death of Joe Biden and the absolute just shocking nature of his appearance, of his delivery. Even whenever we were trying to parse the substance crystal, the four of us, we just we couldn't even get to what he was saying incomprehensible.
Speaker 3: The coughing.
Speaker 2: He coughed a record five times in the first thirty seconds of the debate. And I mean, I'm just sitting here stunned. I don't know what else I could say.
Speaker 1: I mean two words elder abuse. Yeah, it was painful to watch. It's like from the jump.
Speaker 3: It was painful.
Speaker 1: His voice, his face, his inability to maintain a single train of thought. It was horrendous. And like I mean, Trump is all over the place and said all kinds of things that I can't stand. Lies and doesn't answer the question whatever. But like you said, Zager, I can't even get to like, oh, let's talk about there are.
Speaker 4: Different stances on it.
Speaker 1: First of all, I don't really have the different stances on immigration, but or Israel or any number of other issues. But you know, I would love to get into, oh, let's talk about Biden's antitrust to talk about labor policy.
Speaker 4: No one who.
Speaker 1: Watched this debate is going to get past the fact that he was so much worse than I think we've been, you know, expecting, we know that Biden is not where he was. We expected some problems in this debate. This was so far beyond what I anticipated. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 5: Ryan, Yeah, it felt like he spent way too much time at Camp David rehearsing, like practicing.
Speaker 3: With the statistics. Did you know the statistics?
Speaker 5: He had all these stats, and he had a couple of what you could tell were supposed to be one liners, but he got through like half the line. I think I saw him heading over our neighborhood around four thirty or so, so like he just kind of got into town if.
Speaker 3: That was, stepped off the plane and was there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was just worn out, and his voice from the very beginning was awkward. So people are now, like in the Democratic Party are thinking it's funny. But in the beginning of this, I said, there are some decent number of grassroots Democrats who are kind of hoping that he has such a poor performance tonight that it just forces him off the ticket. They have to pull not because they don't like Biden, but because they want to beat Trump.
Speaker 1: So do you think this was that performance?
Speaker 3: It was that performance?
Speaker 2: If it was anything into this, I mean, that is the worst possible that is. Yeah, so the worst moment of his life.
Speaker 1: So we should know Emily, Well, Charlie, she's doing something else. We didn't kick Emily off the island. We love Emily. She wanted me to share with you. She also thought he looked old and terrible.
Speaker 3: Well, she said old as fuck. Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's actually she.
Speaker 1: Said, he's oldest fuck and she'll share more of her thoughts than she returns.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean listen. Going into this, I was like, it's gonna be by like right. Anyone who thinks they're gonna pull him, you're delusional. It's gonna be Joe Biden, Like, deal with it. We all need to live in the realm of reality. This is when it's hitting home. After this, I'm like, hmm, maybe I'm very curious. I shouldn't say this because it will incentivize people to switch over to the mainstream coverage. I am actually curious what they're saying on MSNBC and CNN because I know the cope. Somebody tweeted out like, oh, I have two sources who say as a cold.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't even know how close so that Biden campaign Crystal has called every mainstream reporter in the country and has gotten them to run the reporter. Two sources say he has a cold and as I said, presumably when you have a cold, you take suit, a fed or something with pseudofet.
Speaker 4: We know that what a cold looks for. That's what it doesn't look like. Your brain melting in real time, stone.
Speaker 3: Face, the open mouth gape.
Speaker 2: I mean, anybody who has an elderly person in their life has understood what we all just witnessed. It was horrifying almost from the very beginning. And just to give people a taste too, as you said, Crystal two of what the mainstream coverage was, let's put F one please up on the screen, just to give people an idea of how such an mitigated disaster. This is from the AP, the AP, the most middle of the road mainstream, and this is what they put out on their newswire to their entire subscriber service. Quote in the first half hour of the debate, a raspby Biden delivers rambling answers while Trump counters with energy and falsehoods. But even they have to say rasby Biden, rambling answers, and they even have to acknowledge Trump counters with energy. This is also where I have to eat the Bible. He does, yes, he was, but he's Trump. But I would I would say this too. The rules unambiguously worked in the favor of Trump. There's no question. I think that was one of the top five performances of his life because he just seemed like relatively normal. He had a few moments, you know, there's some stop to steal there at the end. People aren't going to like that. Even on abortion, he was a little bit all over the place. But the whole point is we can't sit here and parse because the average person, and I want everybody at home to think about this, the average person in your life, your father, your sister, your cousin, the person who doesn't watch anything but they did watch this. What are they going to take away? It ain't anything to do with late term abortion. It is oh my.
Speaker 3: God, what is going on in front of us? Go ahead, Crystal.
Speaker 1: So Kyle texted me an update from MSNBC. He says they're waving the towel. Nicole Wallace said people will be talking about whether he should be in the nice Wow.
Speaker 3: So wow.
Speaker 5: The MSNBC folks are probably talking to some of the same people types of people in Washington that I'm talking to.
Speaker 3: And yes, they're absolutely completely panicked.
Speaker 5: People who have been involved in politics for decades, who two hours ago were saying, put your big boy pants on, like he's.
Speaker 6: The stop wetting the bed, like all this stuff, there's no mechanism.
Speaker 5: Some of them are still saying, look, so these are the different paths.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Some are saying something's got to give.
Speaker 5: This is insane, like these are very sober, centrist minded like Washington creatures. Some of them are saying, something's got to give, and we've got it from the control room.
Speaker 2: They're telling us that CNN has called his his call his performance, quote dismal Griffin saying, quote CNN saying it's joke. I mean, this is just it is unambiguous and to a certain extent, I look not so much of a victory lap.
Speaker 3: Crystal Howm and Ryan too.
Speaker 2: How many recriminations have we all received over the last five years for pointing out apology? But I do, I genuinely do want an apology. This was foisted upon the American people. People in the White House. You should be ashamed of yourself, Jake Sullivan and all the other folks who see this stuff up close. We've been reporting it here day after day. G seven leaders, he's gotten worse. We have the public moments. But to see this up close ninety minutes with no filters insane. I mean, we're in twenty fifth Amendment territory. Is this man alive? Like, what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 4: So I want to hear what the other Washington. So you've got the.
Speaker 3: One group that one group is saying, yeah, like this is crazy, this can't go on. That has to change.
Speaker 5: The other group is saying, no, there's no way to get him off. But what we're gonna do is we're going to focus on the House and Senate. Basically, I didn't like.
Speaker 7: Give up.
Speaker 6: That's the idea, give up the end of Democrats that always work and make you and make the argument for Biden that he has a very good staff and that you want democrats making nominating the appointees.
Speaker 5: You want Democrats in control of these agencies. All right, and you're probably going to lose, but you can maybe win the House and Senate. Okay, And we went into this, Wait.
Speaker 4: Isn't there third third group? No, that's basically that's it. Okay, Okay, I got it.
Speaker 1: There's there's no just delusional and he was great. I thought he was very strong.
Speaker 3: There's none of that absolutely zero.
Speaker 5: And before this, the the the normal Democratic Senate candidate like a tester or a Jackie Rosen or something, was running about five to six points ahead of Biden already, which showed you that there isn't And Democrats are heartened by this in the sense that they're like, oh, look, the public likes Democrats, right, they just don't like Biden. Yeah, it's like, well but Biden is your nominee, right, but that so they already had a five point gap before this that could widen to something historic. Team You've never had a situation where the candidates are kind of pulling, I mean the House and Senate candidates are pulling the presidential.
Speaker 1: Usually they talk about coattails.
Speaker 3: Coattails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the opposite dynamic. Barack Obama brings along all these people, right, It's no, it's it's incredible. I mean, tell me this, Ryan, from the people you're talking to in Washington, like, what did they think of the state of his condition going into this, Because what I was thinking about is, you know, your rank and file Democratic House member, Senate member, even staffer, they don't really have access to him. We get these reports, you know, Jamie Harrison won't come out. Oh you should see him behind closed doors. He's really firecracker. But the reality is that, based on the reporting, his circle has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller. So the number of people who are even in a position to be aware that this is the reality now of what we're dealing with is actually probably pretty small. So just as we're viewing this with shock, and again we were under no illusions about Biden's level of decline at this point. But even for us, we thought, Okay, he'll get the drug cocktail usually rises to them, you'll get something going. There's not one moment I could point to this in this debate and be like, oh, he did a good job. There not one right, So for many of them it has to come as equally of an eye opening moment, if not more, because they were probably buying some of the delusions about the like oh, behind closed doors, they say he's great.
Speaker 5: And also they think it doesn't matter that much because the administration is on autopilot. They don't deal directly with Biden. They have their handler that they deal with in the administration. They want something, they know who to call. It's only Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 1: The gears are turning and the way they're expecting them.
Speaker 5: To turn right, as long as the year's turn and he's hopped up enough for the State of the Union and the debates, Yeah, then they're like, all right, this is not ideal, but we'll go with it. But when you can't even get hopped up for the debate.
Speaker 2: David Axelrod's Obama's former what is a communications director?
Speaker 3: He says on CNN.
Speaker 2: I think there was a sense of shock how he came out at the very beginning of the dibitate.
Speaker 1: Let's actually play, let's play for people. This is F four the beat Medicare moment, because it was from the very first word. First of all, the voice is bad, the look is bad, the walking on the stage is bad. Like everything is slow. He's having trouble whining, he is coughing. But this was the moment when we all looked at each other and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, we shall if you want to roll the tape, you can actually go back and see that moment.
Speaker 3: All of us covered our mouths.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh all right, so play F four the beat Medicare moment for us.
Speaker 8: Making sure that we're able to make every single solitary person eligible for what I've been able to do with the COVID excuse me, with dealing with everything we have to do with what if we finally beat medicare?
Speaker 3: Thank you President Biden, President.
Speaker 1: Trump, Well, he's right. He did beat medicare, beat it to death, and he's destroying medicare. We fully beat medicare. That after struggling around for what he was even talking about, I mean, medicare had nothing to do with what the original question was it. And there were many other moments that were similarly discomforting.
Speaker 2: I want to say too about Trump. One of the strengths that he had in this debate was he only a couple of times said something along the lines if he doesn't even know what he's saying, challenge him to the cognitive test. You can see there though at one point Trump Biden was delivering an equivalently incoherent old man answer and Trump is just smirking and sitting there.
Speaker 3: But he didn't jump on the bait.
Speaker 2: So this is where there was a There was like a level of discipline I haven't seen from Trump in a long time.
Speaker 3: The rules helped him.
Speaker 2: He didn't jump in there, allowed Biden to hang himself, and I think I even said that. I was like, hey, I went back and found a tweet a couple of days ago, and I was like, hey, I don't think that these rules are going to have Trump and I go. But the alternative is that it will force Trump to sit back, and if Biden has an old man moment, the focus will one hundred percent beyond him. And I mean he he didn't just have an old man moment. It was ninety minutes of just weird old man stuff already. Yeah, here we go. CN is David ax Rod. There are going to be discussions on if he should continue the name.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 1: According to Mac producer Mac, there's a lot of time until the convention of Biden will allow us to.
Speaker 3: Go there we go.
Speaker 2: I mean we're in full on for you that mode we were talking and actually, Ry, this's the question after you I said, I said only Obama can bring this to an end.
Speaker 3: But do you think even Obama could bring this to an end? I think he called it and said it's it's over. Joe also, it's over.
Speaker 5: And we need to like put responsibility on people who have like people like Chuck Schumer and rakeem Jeffries. Yeah, like if they said something publicly right now. It would change the equation. It would have opened it up to a real question. And there is nothing stopping Chuck Schumer or Hkeem Jeffery from going out and saying something. They're not even Obama, but they're you know, they're significant players. What that would do is that would signal to their troops that they're allowed to talk about it openly as well. So these are grown adults who have agency, who have an opportunity to do something for their party right now that they know they ought to do, and they're probably not going to do it. They're probably going to say, well, he's the nominee, and we.
Speaker 1: Also should go back because there was after the midterms, there was a whole lot of circling the wagons to make sure that a Gavin Newsom or whoever didn't jump in because the midterm performance was better than expected. That was successful. Then you get to the primaries and you know, first of all, there's just complete complete blackout of all the candidates who did challenge him, and then in certain states they just literally did not hold primaries right there were no debates Florida, North Carolina, there were a number of places where they're just like, we're just literally not going to do a primary. And so yeah, anyone who could have at any moment who had the knowledge of this is what we're dealing with, could have spoken up, could have pushed in another direction, could have shed some light and reality here, and instead chose to go in a different direction and pretend and leak these anecdotes. Oh no, I have trouble keeping up with him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, so many times.
Speaker 1: I mean, these people are shameless liars. If you've had any exposure to him and you're out there doing the oh he's the real he's a real spitfire behind the scenes. You guys wouldn't believe. And I can't keep up with him. Blah blah blah, Like no one believed you. And certainly now it is so clear not only are you lying, but by your own definition, you believe this is an existential election. You believe democracy is on the ballot and women's rights are on the ballot, and you are risking all of that for your career. I mean, because they're afraid to speak out. They're afraid they'll be persona and grata in the Democratic Party, and so they all stay silent. They all close ranks, and this is what they and we in the whole country.
Speaker 2: Are also the level of outrage we shall have now for them not allowing that primary to happen, you know, I mean, that was one of the most undemocratic and in retrospect to with Biden, I said this to all of you privately. I mean, he will go down as one of the most selfish men in American history. I mean, just complete the arrogance, the selfishness.
Speaker 1: That is true, although at this point, I really I feel more about it the way I became to feel about Diane Feinstein, which is like, it's the people around her. You're right, because she got to a point where she was so out of it she didn't know that she was out of it.
Speaker 3: But he's not at that level. He's still there. Maybe he could.
Speaker 2: I mean I think he is there enough where I don't know. And this is one of those where again I think everyone can tell, like we're all like in a state of shock. The big question is, and this is the issue. I believe he is such an arrogant man when he and I've always said this, and the press, Cort friends always tell you when he puts those aviators on he believes he's thirty years younger, and knowing him too, he's always the I'll show him president.
Speaker 3: They all show him, and he is.
Speaker 1: He's a toxic boss who does not want to hear any dissents and has surrounded himself with yes men who will bolster him on whatever it is. And there was just reporting about how everybody's afraid to say anything at all critical because they think they'll be excised from the inner circle and probably you know, and for good reason. They believe that he's had this same basic group around him for forty years.
Speaker 3: Ted Coffin, who are like, I'm too old, I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, the one guy dressed.
Speaker 3: Years younger.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And so I think that he I don't know that he realizes his decline. I'm not sure that he sees it. I don't think that he has that awareness.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, this is my big question.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what Joe Scarborough has to say tomorrow morning, because and that's let's return to that. The media coverage of this Wall Street Journal puts out that piece bide hind closed doors, Biden is old and a mess behind the scenes, but you still had all those on the record quotes like you said, Ryan, and senators people like oh, I can't keep up with him, and the level of freak out from the White House. And there's Crystal two weeks ago there were Colin his cheap fakes for playing that video of him at the G seven. That's right, that was what two weeks ago. Here they're litigating whether we're you know, uncomfortably clipping moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, show me.
Speaker 2: That whole thing was a vindication of so much of the coverage. I mean, people can probably tell I'm angry because it's just at a certain point too. I also feel, as you do, the media, the people around him, it has been an outrageous conspiracy to basically cover this up and to be in compliance at every moment. The evidence was there, Canceling the major interviews, less press conferences than anybody in history, not allowing all of us to see how cooked our freaking president is, and then drag canceling the primary, dragging his ass up until election. I see here some reporting they're like, look, the only way that Biden is going to be able to come out is if Schumer, Pelosi, Bill Clinton and Obama convinced him to stand down. I don't have the confidence that they have, you know that they have that they would do that at this point. I think they're just I don't know, and combined with his arrogance to actually convince him.
Speaker 1: Chirn on CNN sources aggressive panic for Dems after Biden's performance tonight. And Trump didn't have to do anything in this debate, but he played his hand properly. He was restrained the rules definitely helped him because if he was too aggressive, it would have just felt mean. It would have just felt mean because you are beating up on this confused old man who can't even finish the sentence.
Speaker 5: I think not having a crowd helped Trump and hurt Biding because I think Biden, if he'd have had the crowd, like his energy maybe goes up a little bit closer to a normal. Maybe that's a good point where ye, Trump is already a little hopped, like he gets the crowd and he's up here.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: So with no crowd at all, Trump and knowing his MIC's gonna get cut off, Trump just has to stand there and like you know, spew nonsense for two minutes and then let the guy fall all over himself.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about Sager's hypothetical here of is Obama is Bill Clinton? Is Nancy Pale?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are they just going to bury their head in the sand and just kind of throwing the down and say, well, I guess we're just going to lose the presidency and maybe we'll win the House and maybe the Senate. Is that do you think that's most likely it's going to happen?
Speaker 5: We will get an answer to the question of whether they actually believe that democracy is on the ballot, because you have this split screen throughout the non primary with Biden saying democracies on the ballot, and all of these Democratic candidates like Newsom and Whittam are.
Speaker 3: Planning for twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: It's like, wait a minute, there is no twenty twenty eight, right if twenty twenty four doesn't go your way?
Speaker 4: True according to according to you, Yes, and so all.
Speaker 5: Because all of these different factions within the party have their own interests in twenty twenty eight that factors into whether they actually weigh in on twenty twenty four. A bunch of them believe that an open primary with Trump as a second term president, leaving is an easier road for somebody like a News there would become president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that assumes that there.
Speaker 5: Will be a twenty twenty eight presidential election, even though Trump won the presidency.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I guess you don't necessarily really believe that.
Speaker 2: What if he crushes twenty twenty up until then and he's got he's like Bill Clinton and he has sixty percent approval rating and his vice president could yeah, Juck Bergham becomes King of the United States, apparently. Laurence O'Donnell on MSNBC says, well, FDR was a good president and he couldn't even walk.
Speaker 1: That's where we're at.
Speaker 3: That's where we're at now.
Speaker 2: That's the level of FDR was drooling out of his mouth and couldn't walk, and look, he was a great president.
Speaker 1: Also, Joe Biden is no FDR.
Speaker 4: Okay, people, let's just.
Speaker 3: FDR proved himself for twelve years up until that before you at all.
Speaker 5: We're not asking for Joe Biden to walk like if Joe Biden were in a wheelchair, no problem, Yeah, and giving speeches like fdrp until the very end, right, I think it was I mean.
Speaker 2: Fine, absolutely, I just don't know what the hell they're going to do at this point. And in a certain look, Biden has the LBJ choice. Biden has the choice. RFK is in the race quite.
Speaker 3: Literally, you know, at this time he could see the riding on the wall, and he's like an LBJ, a smart man, the most ambitious, probably more ambitious than Joe.
Speaker 2: Biden looks himself in the mirror with his advisors. That's it, boys, I'm not gonna win. And he gives a speech and he says, I will not seek nor accept the nomination. Joe Biden has that choice. He's sixty eight days out and this perhaps could have been the greatest political gift to him of all time.
Speaker 5: In this he can go down. They can just say go down in history. He could go down the climate and just be like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: But this is where I think his arrogance and also the rigged nature of the people around him, the bubble that he has built, and also believing his own bullshit now for so many years, is going to come back to bid him and he will arrogantly walk himself now to what what I mean at this point, guys, what can we even think of what the electoral map is going to look like.
Speaker 3: Every single swing state is going to like this.
Speaker 1: RKG is going to be getting a lot JU.
Speaker 5: Going to get like the real debate, you know, he was basically debating with the other folks. Was streaming consistently at two million, like there were there were there were.
Speaker 2: Millions watching RFK, like because I bet a bunch of people were like watch those two are like WHOA right, Well, I can show what I was predicted for the betting markets, so f six please, I was keeping track of this. I mean, this is you know, in terms of betting markets. Take a look at this was halfway through the debate. Joe Biden, I think, you know, thirty minutes or so into the debate plunged, you know, to only sixty nine percent real in terms of the betting markets, by seventeen percent in terms of the odds that he would even be the presidential nominee. I'd have to check, but I guarantee you that's going to be less. I mean, David Newsom is by the way, in the spin room right now. I I to be a fly on the wall.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how can what do you say?
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 1: You all, you all, you do. You don't talk about Biden. You just got Trump's lies. I mean, did election denial. I mean that's what that's the only that's that's truly at this point. But that case that you're making, Zaga, Yeah, that's the case that someone needs to make to Joe Biden. Of like your legacy, if you graciously step aside, if you make good on your pledge to be the bridge to the next generation. And yes, we can talk about the Chips Act, we can talk about your infrastructure, we can talk about hey, you you know, did the what we needed to do with the economy in COVID can talk about labor, we can talk about antitrust. You know, if you withdrawal from Afghanistan genocide, we'll put that aside for the moment. But if you're making this case, maybe don't make that part of it. But you know, you step aside. Now, you look like a great leader, you look selfless.
Speaker 4: You pass the baton.
Speaker 1: And one thing that a Steed Herndon over the New York Times has been pointing out is like Joe Biden also kind of miss not kind of he really misled the American public too when he was running in twenty twenty, because he didn't come out and say directly, I promise I will only be a one term president, very club, but he came very close to that, and there was a real assumption that was made of like, Okay, this dude is old and we're worried about that. But he's going to be there for four years. He's going to set the ship right, it's going to be normal again. He's going to get Trump on of there and then we'll move on to what's next. And you know, immediately once he gets elected, of course, he's never going to let go of the brass ring. And here we are. But that is the case that needs to be made to him, is like, if you stay and you hand the country back to Donald Trump, that is a totally different legacy than if you graciously step aside.
Speaker 4: Now I mentioned the genocide part.
Speaker 1: I think that that is probably a fantasy that his legacy would be, you know, a glorious one no matter what he does at this point. But that is the case that needs to be made to him by Brock Obama and Michelle Obama, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pullett, like whoever. But I think you're right Ryan, I think everyone's self interest in the Democratic Party is such that it renders them just like cowardly careers who really.
Speaker 4: Don't give a shit about the country.
Speaker 1: They don't believe what they say, and they don't give a shit about the country. That's exactly right, because your point is so such an important one that you know, we're thinking about twenty twenty four. They're already lining up behind their horses for twenty twenty eight. They're already planning on like, Oh, I'm going to be a Whitmer person, and here's how I'm going to parlay that into my agency position. I'm going to be lined up for VP. I'm going to run for that Senate seat that opens up. I'm going to run for that governor's mansion that's going to open up when Whitmer makes the jumper. Whatever, That's what their plans are. And so it's no one has planned their political future around Joe Biden being out of this race. So no one outside of the entire American public who has an interest of time decent, presdential candidates. But these people who actually have influence, none of them has an.
Speaker 5: Interest and the way they think, Yeah, let's say you're a Whitmer person. Yeah, and you think Witnmor's going to go shot in twenty eight. Now you're like, oh, what if Whitmer is not the twenty four and what if Newsome like it just gets.
Speaker 3: It's the nod that's right, Yeah, we need Then you go to.
Speaker 5: The Pritzker people and you're like, we don't want neither of us want Newsome to get it.
Speaker 3: Let's all make sure that Biden just goes onto it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: We just needed democratic elites to act like elites and just come in and end.
Speaker 9: This ship for us.
Speaker 3: But they don't do that.
Speaker 2: There's no sense of it. In the nineteen they actually did. They came together, the DNC and all them. They're like, juh, Lindon, you're not gonna win, dude, it's over. And he said, okay. He believed them. And he was even a guy who was way more powerful than Biden. I mean, for like, like you said, Ryan Chuck Schumer, what are we doing here? Dude, you're seventy three, you know you you need to know, But what is the track record that we have? Schumer lies about Diane Feinstein's age up until the day she dies, quite literally Nancy Pelosi had.
Speaker 1: Her freaking daughter, yes as her nurse maid.
Speaker 3: As her handmaiden, and basically just kept the thing over her mouth. And I was like, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Don't don't fine, don't worry about it, remember whenever.
Speaker 1: And you're sexist, by the way, your sexist.
Speaker 3: Well a feminist thing.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing with Biden here now, they made us, they made us, called us ablests say that we were making fun of a man with agism, the ableism. I mean, the level of rage that I feel right now for these people, just because it's just been years now of just sitting here and we just sit here and take it and take it and take it. And now for the dishonesty of the Nicole Wallace's of the world now floating replacing Joe Biden or David Axelrod or any of these other people, and for his own staff, who viciously attacked anybody who tweeted out or accurately portrayed his complete inabilities. And they're either silenced or apparently there's some Democratic people who are crying on the phones right now.
Speaker 3: They're reporters.
Speaker 2: I mean, they should be like, if you really believe that this is such an important election that This is on you, This is on the people around who who supported.
Speaker 3: Him and or who propped him up.
Speaker 5: There was a there was a time where it could have mattered if people came forward, we might have we might have broken in too.
Speaker 3: We got something we got to just keep talking'll come in. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we might have a moment that where it broke back over again, and people with courage have a chance to actually, you know, act on that. But the time was before, and like you said, there was a there's a cost to speaking out, and and people would rather kind of live, you know it, would like rather live richly among the ruins of a of a wrecked party than see their party win, because they're going to be fine either way.
Speaker 1: A wrecked party and a dying empire.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think because the one person who has somewhat of an interest in Joe preserving a shred of his dignity is actually Barack Obama because he's looking not great right now having brought this man.
Speaker 3: Obama's Hillary invited, what the fuck dude?
Speaker 1: All true? So he's got to be thinking, like, I'm not looking great right now with like having you know, forsted Joe on the public and backed him up and made the because Barack Obama made this happen for him in the twenty twenty primary. Let's not forget. So does he have the juice? Does he have the juice to make something happen here in the Democratic Party?
Speaker 3: Sure he has the juice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is such a thing as force and power. Like I think he could be forced out with enough pressure.
Speaker 11: You know, we.
Speaker 1: We showed those word clouds before. By the way, Emily is here, Emily.
Speaker 7: Emily Magic.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: We're just talking.
Speaker 7: Manifested me. Everything seems okay.
Speaker 1: I feel really good about the state of the country. But with Obama, I mean, it does seem like if he really decided to forcefully intervene, you could that would be like the one thing that could maybe shift things here.
Speaker 4: But the other thing I'm questioning too, is right now everyone is having.
Speaker 1: To live in the reality of like, holy shit, that was bad. How long before the spin takes hold and it's like, well, Trump was lying and he said this bad thing, and everyone's just not focused on the substance and Biden had a cold, and seriously, how long before they can reconstruct all of the artifice and Potempkin Village of Biden competence that they had carefully constructed prior to this moment.
Speaker 7: I think they're making that decision right now.
Speaker 12: I think literally right now, they're scrambling to try to figure out if they can put the cat back into the bag, because I think if Joe Biden says no way, I'm in it, Jack, and I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 7: Jack, then everyone idea that ye.
Speaker 3: Jack, I was.
Speaker 9: I hadn't.
Speaker 12: I had forgotten about this. But Megan Kelly just showed this clip of Morning Joe saying it was Mika saying Marjorie tall Green must have might have might as well just written this report on Biden's health.
Speaker 7: They said, that's just a few weeks insane.
Speaker 4: It's insane.
Speaker 12: And so the only reason that everyone is now expressing surprise is because they feel like they can't get away with their lie anymore because everybody saw it crumble on national television. But but we all saw Joe Biden after her report come out and say I have no memory problems at a press conference in which.
Speaker 7: He had several lapses in his memory. It's like, clearly not okay. We've known he's not okay.
Speaker 12: So if he tells his inner circle whose friends are all scattered across corporate media, that he's going to do it. They'll find a way to make it work.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: That ivan that experience with that try what made me question because after that report came out where he said basically like, I can't charge this guy. The jury is gonna be like, he's just a confused old man. How can you know?
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't put this man in front of a jury. And he can't even remember when he was vice president, that was part of it. Couldn't remember when his own son died, right, That was the type of memory lapses that he was reportedly having. And there was a moment in the media when there were a bunch of pieces written. People were like, oh my goodness, this is really bad, like Democrats need to do something about this. And then very quickly the ranks closed again, and you know, you had people out there saying things like that, and.
Speaker 12: I don't think they can get away with it this time though, that's my inclination is they can't.
Speaker 7: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's one thing to that point.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is one thing to see it in a report.
Speaker 1: It's another thing to watch it yourself right, and that does make it quite under that, and especially coming on the heels of the G seven and the clipstick, the amount of that, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I think there's a foreign The foreign against case is this is that first time. Remember there was Andrew Mitchell when Biden was losing in twenty nineteen. In early twenty twenty, Andrew Mitchell has that segment and be like, we need to ask serious questions about Joe Biden's age, and.
Speaker 3: Then six months later she's like, it was a stutter the whole time. I never said that before. The reason why I.
Speaker 2: Think this one is substitutely different is that there's actually very crazy high stakes now at this point where the national public is so much more coalesced around he is old that if they try to do a similar like walk back that they did before, that they would lose even more credibility. Even these shameless liars we have to believe have a line. But I also wouldn't put it past them. I wouldn't pad it past Andrew Mitchell and all them to roll out the stutter.
Speaker 3: So I just don't know the course.
Speaker 1: We've got a CNN clip to give us all a flavor. We haven't watched this so we can react to it live. Let's take a listen to how things are going over there.
Speaker 9: It involves party strategists, it involves elected officials, it involves fundraisers, and they're having conversations about the president's performance, which they think was dismal, which they think will hurt other people down the party in the ticket, and they're having conversations about what they should do about it. Some of those conversations include, should we go to the White House and ask the president's step aside others or other of the conversations are about should prominent Democrats go public with that call because they feel this debate was so terrible?
Speaker 3: That's right, keep that ounce right.
Speaker 1: That is interesting because he raises a good point because again, we're not thinking about people doing the right thing for the country or whatever. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about self interested political actors who have their own careers and paychecks in mind. He's raising what I think is true, which is that yes, Democrats are going to outperform Biden, but if you have that week of a candid at the top of the ticket, it is going to drag down everybody's performance across the board. So if you're a Rosen in Nevada, if you're a tester in Montana, you're trying to get re elected, you're any number of congressional candidates around the country, suddenly you're going this guy's this is a real problem for me personally.
Speaker 5: You could also they could also rationalize it though by saying, Okay, if it looks this obvious that Trump is going to win, then somebody like a tester or Rose and actually get benefits because from the voters who want to check on Trump because they think Trump that they kind of like Trump. They prefer Trump to Biden, but they don't want him to have full control of Congress either.
Speaker 3: So you can see the divided Congress, the old divide it there is actually good evidence for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets plating is so rare. I mean, there is some tickets playing. But if you have a canon at the top of the ticket who is not much of a drag, it's going to be a problem.
Speaker 3: For there is probably it's probably more of a drag.
Speaker 1: They're going to have to defend in the benefit.
Speaker 7: They will have to defend him every day at every state fair. They'll have to defend him.
Speaker 3: That's right, we have a apparently we have a Joyan read clip.
Speaker 2: We've got to check in with Joy over at MSNBC from our producers. Let's go ahead and take a list in, guys, I too, was on the.
Speaker 10: Phone throughout much of the debate with Obama world people with Democrats, with people who are political operatives, with campaign operatives. My phone really never stopped buzzing throughout, and the universal reaction was somewhere approaching panic.
Speaker 7: The people who were texting with me were.
Speaker 10: Very concerned about President Biden seeming extremely feeble, seeming extremely weak, extremely feeble.
Speaker 7: It's bullshit that they're surprised and how good.
Speaker 4: Is But you know what, Emily, I mean, I am surprised.
Speaker 3: By that's how bad it was. But nobody guess.
Speaker 12: We're not We're not in Obama and we don't spend time with the people who spend time with him every day.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, but I mean the level because it was here's the thing. I thought we saw the state of the Union. It was okay, But he was reading off a teleprompter when he has when he and he had an audience, when he has to gather the words for himself.
Speaker 3: It's bad. And it was worse.
Speaker 1: It was I had low expectations. My expectations were on the floor. I thought he would at least have some moments on abortion or on January sixth or something that they could take and run with.
Speaker 4: And this was strong. There's not one moment.
Speaker 1: Because when we were you know, we were picking clips of like, all right, how do we want to ampersent that debate? And I had in my mind like, oh, well, you know, we're going to show all the bad ones if he has a good one, like we should show them.
Speaker 4: What am I going to show? There's nothing to show, and there's adicat there's.
Speaker 1: Plenty of things.
Speaker 4: Trump said that.
Speaker 1: Was barls of an alley cat, which also sounds like something that.
Speaker 2: Are you in the production of Annie?
Speaker 3: But all the Chimney sweeps know.
Speaker 1: It's not like, Okay, looked like a connoisseur out there in comparison, But imagine it's Gavin Newsome up there on the station. Gavin Newsom could have picked Trump apart, and that there was plenty to work with their on abortion, on stop the steal, on all kinds of things. Right, that Trump is just making up ship as he goes along, But he at least seemed like he will survive another four years, you know, And so in contrast, he looked absolutely, you know, incredible, And you didn't see any of that pushback, any of the attempted pushback was so incoherent you didn't even know what point Biden was trying to make in response to it. So, yeah, I mean the fact that you have CNN with their sources, Van Jones.
Speaker 2: Nick Christoph Axel, Rod Joy Reid axl Rod, Joy, Reid, Nicole Wallace. I mean Casey, Yeah, Casey hunt Over who who you know, cut off the cut off Trump.
Speaker 1: I do want to say the CNN moderators were pretty good.
Speaker 3: They did a good You know why I think I was crying. I think they were quote unquote good is they didn't really have to model.
Speaker 4: They don't have to do anything. They just had to read the question.
Speaker 2: How many other times you are like, mister Biden, you have eighty eight second sleft after the after the thing was horrible, and they're like, you have thirty seven seconds left, mister President Biden. He's just it's like the complete blank stare, the.
Speaker 7: There's a Rik Times headline on your screen. That's insane.
Speaker 12: Facing Trump's misleading attacks. Biden appears shaky at times. Yeah, just about captures the top.
Speaker 2: Biden struggles as Trump blusters, and a contenttion was it was already there's no both siding this.
Speaker 5: It's a disaster and it was criminal for them not to have r f K Junior on from the beginning.
Speaker 3: But after the debate, thinking about.
Speaker 5: That decision, like it it changed changed history in a way because if if RFK Junior is able to be on there, like you could imagine a huge number of people being like, you know what, fine, I can't do either of these people.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm with RFK. And that's a good point.
Speaker 5: If he gets into the thirties, into the twenties or thirties, then it's game and he.
Speaker 3: Replaces Biden almost and imagine the legends and Democrats start dating behind it. Look at least ballot yeah whatever, but.
Speaker 1: At least you're not Trump.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was with us on the environment.
Speaker 12: At least you're not debating your handicap like both of them were zero chance.
Speaker 3: Biden has a six handicap and no way Trump wants I don't know.
Speaker 2: Wait, Crystal, can you have a new golfer? Can you ask Kyle whether he believes that Biden.
Speaker 4: Oh, I already Kyle, but I did talk to Kyle like no.
Speaker 3: Results the one coaching thoughts check. This is officially a false statistics so.
Speaker 12: We've consulted an expert. This is an official breaking points FactCheck. Crystal did it Golf and New.
Speaker 5: Golfer and no, no way Biden carries his own clubs for eighteen holes either.
Speaker 3: Like it's.
Speaker 7: I don't want him driving the golf course.
Speaker 5: Trump Yetn's credit, He wouldn't. Trump didn't even pretend that he would carry his clubs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I just the drunk guys of the golf course more than.
Speaker 7: He doesn't even drink.
Speaker 3: Don't get on the wall.
Speaker 1: Y's official response, just so we can be technically accurate here with yeah, I sent him Biden's swing.
Speaker 4: So Ryan had provided with the group.
Speaker 1: As background, and he said six handicap and then four, laughing about.
Speaker 2: I need to get like Tiger Woods or somebody on here. Look my big big question Ryan, actually you'll know this. When does Congress come back into session? When are these guys going to be back in They should be back like on the ninth. Okay, so fourth of July, there we go, guys. So July ninth, when the when the hordes of the reporter swarm on to Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi on lakem Jeffries, all of those people walking down the hallways with every reporter in the country shoving her phone in their face.
Speaker 3: What are they going to say? Well, that's the big question.
Speaker 1: That's something else I want to know tonight and control them. If you have one of these clips, I'd love to see it too.
Speaker 4: But normally in these.
Speaker 1: Post debate specials, of course you've got a whole laundry list of Democrats, members of or whoever who want to come on and talk about how great you know, Joe Biden just did. I would if they've got anyone who is.
Speaker 4: Willing to come on and say that.
Speaker 3: Right now, let's talk about the Kate Vegane Yeah, yeah, before we gives.
Speaker 4: The former COMPS director.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally at the White House. I think she only left a couple of months ago.
Speaker 1: This is his and she was there, you know, the whole twenty twenty campaign. She was one of the people who even when he was really down and out, she was, you know, there by his side and really believing in this guy. And what is she what does she say now quote.
Speaker 2: It was a really disappointing debate performance for Joe Biden. I don't think there's any other way to slice it. His biggest issue was to prove to the American people he had the energy, the stamina, and he didn't do that. I mean, that is as cut and dry as it gets.
Speaker 3: This is this is, this is.
Speaker 2: That's the lady who was paid to lie to the American public on Joe Biden's behalf.
Speaker 1: The type of person who would ordinarily be on CNN talking about what a masterful job.
Speaker 2: She might even have a scene in No h I think you're right, she does have a scene. You know, he also want to hear from Jensaki. I think her shows on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Let's hear it. Lady.
Speaker 2: You know how many times you take that damn podium and you tell us about how strong and virile? What did you know?
Speaker 3: And I for real, we are in the truth and reconciliation phase.
Speaker 2: It's like, at what point we should drag I mean this Trump may try and have this happen, but in a just world they should be dragged. At what point did you first notice that the president was senile? At what point did you first notice he had dementia. Lloyd Austin, what are we doing here?
Speaker 7: That's the commanded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the charity of the people. Ye Lloyd was in Israel. He didn't he didn't notice that.
Speaker 12: If I'm a parent of somebody in the military right now, I am at the plastic and I am outraged if my child.
Speaker 3: Is overseas deployed in Syria, you know, sitting losing missiles, just to the like, Oh yeah, this is the man who's going to respond to that.
Speaker 2: Also, let's think about the geopolitical ramifications of this. If I'm putin, I'm rolling every goddamn thing we have right now into Ukraine tomorrow.
Speaker 3: If I forget, I.
Speaker 4: Wonder why Bibe just rolls over the guy.
Speaker 2: I wonder if I wonder why tomorrow there's a new shipment of five hundred pound bombs that are going through to Israel tonight. If I'm baby, I'm gonna carpet bomb the ship out of the rock tomorrow.
Speaker 3: What is this man gonna do? What's he gonna do? I would laugh in his face.
Speaker 4: It's trying Trump back, And yes, especially now.
Speaker 2: It would only help him politically. It would hurt Biden. He knows that Biden's not gonna do anything at this point. He you know, I can't even imagine. Guys, what is the what the meetings like between Yoe f Galant Baby and Biden. I can't It's it's already we knew it was bad, you know, G seven Lean and others were leaking there like, oh my god, I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we we're the left of the world.
Speaker 1: Biden's probably calling him golden my Yeah.
Speaker 3: If I was Taiwan, I would be freaking the fun out, like this is the time, this is the time to go.
Speaker 5: The d n C is in six seven weeks, right, Democratic National Convention there. Yeah, but I think it's it's it's fluid. Now it's going to solidify one way or the other in the next couple of days. There's certainly a world in which, like a week from now, we're like, remember when there was a moment where Democrats like, we're openly considering dumping Biden, And now they're just back to the fantasyland that Biden.
Speaker 3: Is going to be their nomination.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you put the odds up? Oh?
Speaker 5: God, Like, I think the odds are probably pretty good that they just try to put this piece of pottery back together.
Speaker 3: And I have a statement form.
Speaker 2: We have the first statement from the Biden campaign. Tonight, President Biden presented a positive and winning vision for the future of America, one in which every American has a fair shout at the American dream.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: On the other hand side of the stage was Donald Trump, who offered a dark and a backwards window and to what America would look like the steps back in office, a country that puts the interests of billionaires or working people put three foreign president who not once, but twice, but three times failed to promise he would accept the results of a free and fair election. Trump's performance tonight reminded the American people why they fired him four years ago, reinforced to sow, Hi, the stakes are this November for the future of our country. So that is the I mean, look that Ryan, maybe you're right. I think they'll just come back to but Trump is that that's you know, that's it.
Speaker 5: So the uncommitted movement, yeah, they say, we all saw what just happened. We have thirty five uncommitted delegates in case anyone wants to contest the convention to save lives and our democracy. So there are thirty five delegates that were elected, how would they be able to contest?
Speaker 3: Though? Because Biden has the delegates, does he not?
Speaker 5: So basically, what you would be trying to get the other delegates to do is to be faithless towards spy.
Speaker 3: But in order to do that, you need people on the floor to say they try.
Speaker 2: To do this to Trump, right, you would have to have the leader, right, you'd have to have the leader of every state movement be faithless convinced those.
Speaker 3: People necessar are the leaders, Like, isn't it the delegates rule is like some rules, it's it's been decades, this just happened, that's the thing. It's I think it's literally I think the nineteen sixties might be the last time that something.
Speaker 5: Because yeah, they're they're like in most cases they're instructed, like they don't really have a choice of who they can vote for.
Speaker 3: But the bylaws and the rules are always like they're made.
Speaker 5: They're made by people. They can be changed by people, like you can you can win a floor knife fight. What they're saying is that if anybody wants to try that, the uncommitted delegates are available.
Speaker 1: They're ready to. I mean, Democrats still have super delegates too, which can just do what I want. They diminished their yeah, they've diminished their importance, but they still are a thing. So wouldn't that be the irony of ironies?
Speaker 7: It wasn't that the super delegate.
Speaker 5: Wasn't that the actual justification that in a moment of populism, like trouble for the nation, like they can be the wise ones or something.
Speaker 4: Now's your chansk, guys.
Speaker 3: That was real.
Speaker 2: But the irony is that was really education is the whole idea of the party decides and it puts itself above any individual candidate and protects its interests at the expense of somebody taking them over. Obama effectively destroyed that, you know, after well he destroyed it in a certain way and then took it over in his own image.
Speaker 3: Trump basically did the same thing over on the RNC side.
Speaker 2: So we're actually seeing a consequence of like weak party structures, but also just the fact is of cowards that are in office in the old days, the senators, the Chuck Schumer has got nothing to lose. This man will be resigned to the you know, trash heap of history. He'll be the Senate Minority leader, and then when his term is up, he's gone. He's almost he'll be eighty years old. Why do you have to lose at this point, being like Joe, it's over, dude, Well, I cannot back you.
Speaker 3: That's Pelosi too, You're how old is she eighty three? I think she's going to be older than that. She's older than Biden. What do you have to lose? It could be your last service to the country.
Speaker 12: Well, here's where that becomes even more important. Typically a truck schoomer in Nancy Pelosi. What they would have to lose is access to the powerful people running the country, running the Democratic Party. It is clear to everybody right now that Joe Biden is not going to be a He's not really running things.
Speaker 7: Even if his people are still in charge. But he's not long for you know, the next decade.
Speaker 12: He's not going to be here that long his post presidency, however long it is, it's not going to be like one of the guys that hung around, like Obama for example, Young still out there and Netflix all that stuff that's not happening. So they can afford to actually lose their access to the bidens at this point, because it's becoming a national disgrace. I think Joe Biden is going to take so much heat after this. That's the Biden Bidans are losing clout like in Washington right now by the minute. Whether or not it comes back is a different question that I'm genuinely curious about.
Speaker 1: Does the fact that they're going to do the actual nomination remotely is.
Speaker 3: That actually, I'm always going to snack.
Speaker 2: That's probably a good point because guess what, then, you can't organize behind the scenes. You can't scream, you can't protest, you can't organize on a different ballot try to Because.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes it's a good point, yea. It makes it harder for level and it also shortens the time frame, right because the whole thing with this, guys is Ohio has some law that you know about deadline as to when the candidate has to be nominated in order for it to get on the ballot. And my understanding was that the Ohio h Republicans that are in charge of the legislature there, we're like, oh, we'll actually change the law of Democrats.
Speaker 4: We're like, we don't trust you.
Speaker 1: We're still going to do the nomination early and remotely, and at the time it seems like, and I think this was the logic is like, oh, this will be a way to get our nomination done cleanly without having to worry about any protests over Palestine and the genocide and Gaza and so. But now it also serves them, serves Joe in terms of speeding up the timeline and also making them more difficult to organize some sort of a floor coup. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, the only way is they have to stop the nomination on the first ballot. That becomes incredibly difficult because if he gets the nomination there on the first ballot, boom. I believe it gets goes forward and it gets gratified. I honestly think, all good, hope. I think this is all cope. It's on him now, it's on the elites too. He has to drop out or he's going to be the nominee.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's it, decides to don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. He is the one.
Speaker 2: He has the people they rig the debate or the primary for him, the Florida Democratic Party and others in multiple other large states that are pledged behind. I mean apparently, so our control room is cutting a clip right now. Gavin Newsome and Raphael Warnock were asked in the spin room to react, and Gavin was given the opportunity. Someone said, do you think President Biden should step aside? And he said no, he said he was one undred, that wouldn't be next level. But I'm saying, even like the they're I think they're clinging to it, at least for not for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know what himself that he did not what is he doing because he would have been the nominated.
Speaker 2: One of the big because that's that's a Chris Christie twenty twelve. Christy could have been the president.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is the.
Speaker 12: Person who I think the person who in the best night and all. This isn't trumpets RFK Junior truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the.
Speaker 12: Double hater thing is now going to be the theme of the election because again you have two guys talking about their freaking handicaps on the presidential debate stage, one which.
Speaker 7: Can barely keep his eyelids open.
Speaker 12: Well, they're fighting over it, and it's like, guys, take this to the country club, please, like get it off the damn debate stage. And I just I think you know, we've seen those numbers sometimes are better for Trump. But the way when you add r f K Junior and Jill Stein in though, But the way if Biden clings to this and holds on the way that some of those people might just totally go back to RFK. Because, interestingly, Chris Dawal pointed this out today, some of the biggest movement has been away from RFK Junior towards Biden in the last few weeks. And so, you know, it's marginal obviously when the margins are where they are, But what if we see a reversal of that and Democrats saying this is if Biden clings to it, as Ryan was saying earlier, we could definitely see after this debate another five percent, another ten percent, another fifteen percent going to RFK Junior.
Speaker 7: That's devastating. Wow, to both candidates.
Speaker 12: We don't know how it shakes out, but especially to Biden.
Speaker 1: Ryan's point earlier about how it really did change history to not have RFK on that stage is a very important one, Yes, because I do think I do think if he was there, you know, and people really are internalizing, oh, there's this other person out there, there's this other option who is younger.
Speaker 3: Than both of those.
Speaker 2: Guy, Yeah, he could become the direct competitor to Trump. That would that would have been the consequence. Still a two part system, that would have been the consequence, and.
Speaker 4: That could have that still could happen.
Speaker 3: People out there where.
Speaker 12: But that's a lot of incentive actually for Democrats because no matter what Joe Biden does for the rest of this selection, if he is the candidate, RFK Junior is going to get a very healthy bump, and that bump is going to help Trump at this point no more than Biden. So that's more incentive for Democrats as they panic to the word that Joy Reid used and think about this in those smoke filled back rooms for the next couple of days.
Speaker 7: The math with RFK Jr.
Speaker 2: Is that that should give them the incentive to We've gotten someone else. Kamala has disappeared on CNN. Here's here's what she says.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden is extraordinarily strong.
Speaker 2: What we saw tonight is the president making a very clear contrast with Donald Trump. Absolutely, for the first time life finally said something true. She says, yes, there was a slow start, but it was a strong thing. But time is a flat circle.
Speaker 11: God as the moment in time, and she didn't just fall out of the I just you know what a strong But the fact that even.
Speaker 1: She has it's so dark.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's exactly when your vice president top shiller, like you don't want a slow start, slow middle, and never.
Speaker 1: I've actually never heard someone who's doing the spin acknowledge any weakness, good point.
Speaker 4: Any knew she had alone.
Speaker 12: The vice president got off to a little rock star, but he was great at the ends.
Speaker 7: My it's so viet for her to come out and be like he's verty's thrown.
Speaker 4: Let's play this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's say. Let's say Obama comes down, Bill Clinton, They all all right, Joe, it's done. Joe drops is a Kamala?
Speaker 3: Is that who? We get? A sensible Obama says, it's not you, it's not kam Law. We're going with.
Speaker 2: I think you know who I think he picks because you can't replace a black lady with a white guy. I go Gretchen Whitmer. That's what somebody said previously. I would take somebody like Greshen Whitmer Michigan, and he would He needs to have it pre selected all the conversation needs to have already happened.
Speaker 3: The two of you need to step aside.
Speaker 2: You can make the case that, you know whatever, she's the VP and we need to move on from the Biden Harris ticket or whatever. We go with Gretchen Gretchen Whitmer, And somebody tweeted, I think we said, Wes Moore is that with the governor of Maryland. So we need a black guy. Put him as the VP candidate.
Speaker 3: So then we get our all of our divers cigarettes.
Speaker 1: As VP.
Speaker 12: If we're gonna make a clean break to deal with her, like, they have to make a deal with her, so they have to do something that's right, Secretary, put.
Speaker 3: Her on the Supreme Court.
Speaker 5: Black go one on the Supreme Court. Her opinions would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they put her on the just they make a deal with her of something, and they're like, look, we're going to take care of you.
Speaker 3: But it's jover.
Speaker 2: Whitmer is stepping in. Yeah, maybe I guess you could stick around in peach, but that's the way it would have to happen. Replace him, because Obama is not stupid. You can't apparently. Okay, so we do have a video of Gavin Newsom and of Raphael Warnack being asked in the spin room about whether Joe Biden should step aside.
Speaker 3: So let's go ahead and take a listen to how they spun it for the Convention is that there's consternation among Democrats.
Speaker 9: It's like David abstrot Of suggested the Democrats should look at replacing Joe Biden. Would you urge the presidential to reconsider moving for absolutely not.
Speaker 8: If you never turn my back in I don't know that personal point.
Speaker 10: Of view.
Speaker 8: That would be.
Speaker 13: Listen, listen, I would I would be I would be concerned if the president didn't have a record to rental. But the fact of the matter is this is a man who has passed his story legislation.
Speaker 2: Okay, it wasn't for the historical. Gavin Newsom says, I'm with him one hundred percent. But you know, the AP just flashed exactly what you just said, Crystal Kamala Harris as Biden had slow starting the debate.
Speaker 3: That was with a strong fit. Because I think everybody can even pick that up.
Speaker 2: I mean when we have did we ever see Mike Pence once say but yeah, Trump, he was a little bit off the rail.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day.
Speaker 12: So really right, Pence would be like, and I just I want to just acknowledge that Donald J. Trump is the the greatest debate that the world see. That's exactly thank him for his confidence.
Speaker 3: That's shockingly good.
Speaker 1: Okay, has there ever been a worst debate performance? I mean, this is worse than the Nixon flop side.
Speaker 2: There's only rivals is Lloyd Benson versus I think Dan Quail when he said I know Jack Kennedy, You know, sir, with Jack Kennedy senator, you're.
Speaker 3: No Jack Kennedy. And then I mean I did genuinely the vice presidential so it doesn't count. There are two that might be the only one.
Speaker 12: There are two televised debates that are the most significant in American history.
Speaker 7: One is nineteen sixty and one is this.
Speaker 12: This belongs in the absolutely under This is the President of the United States melting on stage. He is the acting president United States, melting on stage. Donald Trump being the host of Celebrity Apprentice and debating Hillary Clinton was spectacular for many reasons, like insane, I still can't believe that, believe.
Speaker 1: It happens in primary perform ant's not forget about.
Speaker 7: What Paul is ugly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, why is rand Paul even on this city legendary? No, but to bring it back, I actually think you're right, Yeah, to rack my brain. I don't think there has ever been a worst performance by a president ever.
Speaker 1: Well, and more consequential, because it's one thing when you're a candidate, yeah, the sitting president of the United States.
Speaker 5: And just from a cynical perspective, it is true that Republicans and the conservative media have taken some clips out of context to make Biden look worse than he would have looked in the full context.
Speaker 7: Like that parachute guy.
Speaker 5: But that's also part of how politics works. Your enemies, your adversaries, are not going to treat you fairly. So what this has done is that it has allowed them to clip stuff from here until November, all day long in context, out of context, it won't matter, and the public will be like, yep, I believe that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing is, they were starting to get a little worried going into this debate because they realized they had done such an effective job of making everyone you know, that word cloud we put up on the screen, literally every demographic, every partisan and identification says the number when they think of WHI Joe Biden is old.
Speaker 4: The expectations for him were so low, so low going.
Speaker 1: In, just as in the State of the Union is so low going in that you had a real effort in conservative media this week to be like, I don't know Joe Biden, Donald Trump, I think even was like I saw him with Paul Ryan.
Speaker 4: He did a great job. I think he's going to do a fantastic job.
Speaker 12: I had those thoughts myself, because there were he had good moments in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: But us, all of us thought it no Ever, we've seen him do fine enough when the moment called for it. The State of the Union is our best example, Crystal. I think your point is the is the best. Here he was reading off a teleprompter when he actually is required to use an iota of his brain.
Speaker 3: He melts, just like he does in.
Speaker 2: The press conferences that we've seen at the G seven that we've seen avery spontaneous reaction. And so what we saw here is why they did not put him up for an interview with the Super Bowl. It is why they have stopped him from doing less presidential press conferences than Eddie Modern American president. When there is any iota of chaos or any of that involved that they can't control, he falls apart. And I cannot even imagine what these meetings are like, what we were talking about, and these situation room. I mean, it's just it blows the mind. It's it's worse than we thought it really is.
Speaker 3: I think I'm curious for your take on this.
Speaker 5: I think if Trump missed anything, it was the opportunity to kind of make fun of Biden a little bit more.
Speaker 3: And I don't think he should have. I think he did the best thing.
Speaker 2: When something is so bad, it's like when you're talking, it's hard to explain, but it's like when someone is so far gone, you have to show sympathy, and at the best he's there, you go, I don't addle my brain with disgusting drugs. But the point is that when someone is that it is it is an act of kindness and magnanimity to step back. And we saw that with Trump to did you remember when he goes, this is childish, let's not act childish.
Speaker 3: I was like what, Yeah, I was like, what on.
Speaker 1: The side, we have the one moment where he made word Trump, this is f two guys that I'm queuing up here where he did allude to the fact that Biden is incoherent.
Speaker 3: When he was.
Speaker 8: President, he was taking separating babies from my mother's put him in cages, making sure the families are separated. That's not the right way to go. What I've done since I've changed the law, what's happened. I've changed it in a way that now you're in a situation where there are forty percent fewer people coming across the border illegally.
Speaker 3: It's better than when he left office.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to.
Speaker 8: Continue to move until we get the total ban on the total initiative relative to what we're going to do with more border patrol and more asylum officers.
Speaker 1: President Trump, I really don't know what he said at the end of this sentence.
Speaker 3: I don't think he knows what he said either. Look, he doesn't know what he said either.
Speaker 2: But in general, Corsault, even that I've seen Trump, I've seen him go after people. We remember the whole disabled thing for a man hit of him to comport himself this way, I think and he understood in this moment, I almost need to be a secondary character. And what you and I all of us. We've been talking here for about an hour and fifteen minutes. We barely talked about Donald Trump's performance because that's not the story. And I think Trump the showman, he understood that in that moment he could he could have actually, he.
Speaker 7: Probably could have lost the moment. He probably could have gone a different thing on.
Speaker 2: God in makes him almost makes him feel bad, makes us feel bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thats the thing is, it just would have felt mean. Like what he did there, that was fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was that was it.
Speaker 1: We didn't need you to lay out for us that this was going terribly for Joe Biden. He's in coherent c and Alan can't formulate a sentence, so we could see that. Like I think if he had really gone in on that, yeah, would it would have felt too mean. I don't know that it really would change anything, because ultimately the story is Biden. But yeah, Trump smartly made sure to step back for once and you know, let Biden have the headline out of this debate.
Speaker 5: If you watch, you watch Trump, like you watch Trump's face just as Biden starts talking in the very beginning, He's like, yeah, doing like double and triple takes, and I'm sure.
Speaker 1: It was just like wow, because it wasn't just the incoherence or the inability to formulate a thought. It was the look, it was the voice, It was the total package.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I mean in that, you know, Joe Biden had to leave him, leave him off stage, like she had to lead him down the stairs. Come on, we were all for the good of the country. Step up if you love.
Speaker 1: Your doing here. Because what they always said about that that infamous Nixon Kenny Kennedy, the flop sweat debate, is that people who listen on the radio actually thought Nixon had won. But because it was televised and he's sweating and the way he looks, nobody on the radio.
Speaker 3: There was no.
Speaker 4: Medium, and it's anyone was thinking maybe telegraph someone came across.
Speaker 3: If you read the transcript, you still just be like what theo was?
Speaker 5: Medicare like, people don't even think Trump won, like they think he won by default objectively, But.
Speaker 3: That's what we're saying, really and lost, Yeah exactly. I mean I don't even know what Trump said. He hung un. I didn't even think or pay attention to what Trump was saying. And I'm just like, I can't.
Speaker 1: Killing people Palestinian.
Speaker 7: That was interesting.
Speaker 3: He's a Palestinian, but he's not even one. Not even they like him.
Speaker 1: He's weak because he's a weak Palestinian. Palestinians apparently the floor now.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was just but was he trying to be nice to Palestinians that like lots of are strong or something you're thinking too deeply.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's just like that was a good one.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: We've got a question here from our locals chat for our premium subscribers shout out, by the way breaking points to support us, and they say, what is the drop dead date? No pun intended for replacing Biden? So what we've got six weeks? It will be the longest six weeks in six weeks American political hitts.
Speaker 5: He doesn't actually need to be on the Ohio ballot anyway, because he's not going to win Ohio. But basically, you have to be on every ballot that matters and gets you to two seventy. But you have to be on enough state ballots where you can win two hundred and seventy plus votes, and that's really late August, early September.
Speaker 1: I'm looking DNC virtually nominate Biden Harris.
Speaker 12: But even then it's tough because of the electoral college. So if you're only on you can you can get to seventy. But in states, for example, if you're a Democrat, it's a bunch of red states.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, no to seventy where you can plausibly win as well.
Speaker 2: Right, they need to replace him before the convention so that they can get on the ballot and all, which they're already all on the ballot on all fifty and they can run if they were going to do.
Speaker 3: Convention starts in nineteenth. When's the thing they're talking.
Speaker 1: About, So it's I don't it says they haven't confirmed. According to this ABC News article, they haven't confirmed a date when the virtual nomination will happen, but it has to be before the August seventh, Ohio ballot deadline, and now that's.
Speaker 5: Going to be so it's like a like a month that could also become now more scandalous than it was before because if they online, if they come.
Speaker 3: Out, nobody was paying attention to this online thing.
Speaker 5: To except this show was watching us. Those people were paying attention, but the country was not. So now a sudden, if you have a headline that says Democrats to rush nomination of Biden two weeks before election.
Speaker 3: Cheez, yes, this looks corrupt. True. Have Republicans changed it yet?
Speaker 1: Changed the date for the Ohio ballot thing?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure this is in July though, because so they'll be fine, there's is like July nineteen. No, no, no, I mean, did the Republicans change the law like they said they would.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter because he's not gonna win Ohio.
Speaker 2: All right, here's a question from a fellow five hundred form of our premium subscribers. Could this be the moment for third parties? And I think that actually might be the most fascinating part of our discussion tonight.
Speaker 12: I think Ryan's point about how it really was something that changed the course of history to exclude RFK Junior from this debate. You said something after Ryan made that point about how it would have felt like it was a two man race, not between Trump and Biden, but between Trump and RFK Junior. And if ever there were a moment for the third party, the plausible third party.
Speaker 7: Candidate to hit that lane, well, I think it might.
Speaker 12: Have been tonight, because they'll find a million different ways if they replace Biden. I mean, they can find a candidate that's even better. That makes RFK Junior less attractive to certain voters.
Speaker 3: So it could have been mentioned kicking himself not taking that no labels.
Speaker 12: Tonight could have been the night that the two party system was dealt a significant The most significant blow.
Speaker 2: To the alternative is that Biden hangs on RFK still on the ballot, and he wins like thirty two percent of the vote. That would be insane, That would actually blow up the entire system.
Speaker 7: Well like doesn't really want road numbers.
Speaker 3: He could do better than that, Yeah, I mean he would.
Speaker 2: If you win a third of the popular vote in this country, that's it's game over. I mean, you created regardless whether if.
Speaker 5: It really doesn't create a three party system, you just get a new two party system.
Speaker 2: True, yeah, but I mean I mean in a certain way, that's what's always happened, right with the hire third parties.
Speaker 5: You absorb the go away right, the Republican. If all of a sudden you have a multi party system, I don't know. I just.
Speaker 1: I think there are enough people who are still so locked into just like you know, he's the Prize. He's a Democrat, he's not Trump. You know. I I rfk Junior will benefit, but I'm skeptical that you will have enough people that will go to him, especially if he continues to be shut out of mainstream forums, et cetera to actually challenge.
Speaker 7: But who the hell knows, Like it's harder to shut him out going forward to.
Speaker 1: Think so too there. I can tell you one thing's for sure. If Biden is a Democratic nominee, there ain't no way on hell they're doing that second debate.
Speaker 11: That is.
Speaker 10: No way.
Speaker 3: It's actually COVID and ten weeks of isolation.
Speaker 7: But they only announced it in the during the debate, like.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're so sorry.
Speaker 4: What if he's down by ten?
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they do what you suggest and they're just like, well, hopefully the Senate in the House and we'll cross our fingers.
Speaker 2: Eight. I think Biden will do it, and I think he will be down by ten because Biden is so arrogant, he'd be like, we're going to show him this time, Jack, he's going to come back.
Speaker 3: What if in his mind he's not? Unless But what if they at the moment there was they're not going to do.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying hypothetically, what does that do to the ballots? So if they don't, I saw.
Speaker 1: A funny I saw an interesting question here. Someone said I can't find it. Oh, here we go putting conspiracy hat on? Was this debate pushed by deems to embarrass Biden?
Speaker 3: I don't trust them enough to do that. It just was the day there was Ryan you said that from the beginning, you were like, some people are actually cheering him, right, yeah, right.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's why they did it, but yeah, definitely a lot of Democrats I think around the country were like, this is our last chance to save the party and save the country and save democracy. That if Biden completely implodes on stage and they got their wish, like they got the performance, that in a small d democratic system would lead to him stepping down. And it's a real test of whether there are any democratic veins still kind of running through that body or not, because democracy is not just like running through the traps of procedural elections. It's like actual, actually can the will of a public be expressed through the various.
Speaker 3: Systems and pressure you have. I'm so cynical. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I think he. I think he is arrogant, and I don't think or any of those people have the courage to tell him that it's time to go. And I think we are.
Speaker 5: It's wow, Yeah, it's amazing contemplate. Yeah, wants him to run, yeah, and be on the ballot. Yet he will be on the ballot and.
Speaker 3: That is not new.
Speaker 1: By the way, the American people, the Democratic Party, how many polls did we cover majority Democrats?
Speaker 4: We want options, We do not want to just go with Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: We would at least like to have some choices. And what did the Democratic Party do in response? How about we literally cancel primaries?
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: How about we do that because democracy is on the ballot.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they lost a bunch of mayoral races in Florida. Did you follow that story? Yes, because he canceled the primary and then Republicans were like, oh wait, I'm mayor of this town, right?
Speaker 3: Democratic town now right?
Speaker 1: Because people didn't show up for the right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there have been so many criminal acts like along the way that in retrospect, I mean, which we called out here on the show live and we're like, this is not going to look good.
Speaker 3: This is going to be bad.
Speaker 2: This could be a bad precedent. What about this primary? What about this ridicule? After ridicule, people just move on and they thought they could bluff their way and this is the result they got. So any closing remarks, what do you guys think, Emily God bless America?
Speaker 7: We beat Medicare Yeah, thank goodness.
Speaker 4: By the way, that's it.
Speaker 3: By the way, he goes, by the way, and he had also had thirty seven sec of slacking dance and she was like, do you She was like, do you want to finish?
Speaker 7: By the way.
Speaker 1: That's actually what I wanted to close with is I'm laughing a lot because it's so preposterous.
Speaker 3: But it's dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is dark that we got, I mean everything about it, that we got to this place, that this is where we are as a country. These two dudes, this guy who can't I mean, and your point about it being such a test of is there even a shred of democracy? Actual democracy still operational? Because I mean, if you pulled American people right now after watching that debate, what percentage of him would be like, yes, Joe Biden all the way.
Speaker 3: This is the guy.
Speaker 2: Maybe five percent and they're all eighty years old, you think. So they're like, you know what, I'm in my golden years. Yes, I'm joining.
Speaker 1: Honey, yeah, honey, to the country. To you who say like I couldn't do the job, I wouldn't want to do the job, like I know what I feel like right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, last thoughts.
Speaker 5: Ryan Well Democrats had said privately, you know it's good that this is so early so that if he botches it terribly, we can recover.
Speaker 3: So, you guys, we're going to find out if that genius plan is going to work out.
Speaker 2: All right, there we go. I think I've said everything. I got nothing else left to say. We'll see they either pull him or they don't. I hope for the sake of the country they do. I don't think that they will. By the way, everybody, thank you so much for our premu subscribers. We took questions from and if he can help support all of our election work. We are going to be on the ground at the DNC with a live reaction which pretty pretty happy that we booked our hotels and all flights, everything made the investment, which we were able to do thanks to our previous subscribers. If you can help us out, we can put that up there breakingpoints dot com. We deeply appreciate you. Yeah, there's the man himself. Become a member of breakingpoints dot com. Support our work and you'll continue to see more of this. If there is a second debate, we'll be here. If there is a DNC where Joe Biden is nominated, will be here or we'll be there.
Speaker 3: And if they nominate somebody else will be there as well.
Speaker 1: And it's going to be interesting as hell to see how the media plays this, how democrats play this over the coming days and weeks.
Speaker 3: What a day, What a day in America.
Speaker 1: Here