Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yew I met with the congresswoman at Jacoby Hospital in the Bronx to discuss it stand Up to Violence program, which has showed an impressive forty six percent reduction in retaliatory violence in its first few years.
Speaker 3: As a Democrat focused on violence. Isn't that off brand.
Speaker 4: Well from the Bronx, So it's on brand for where I'm from.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of discussion around what progressives can do about violence in a big city.
Speaker 4: What the data has showed us is that if you respond to violence as a public health issue instead of as an incarceration issue, violence decreases. And that's what we're doing here at Jacoby Hospital.
Speaker 2: Are there cops here at the hospital that are addressing the issue.
Speaker 3: Hell no, okay, no, this is listen.
Speaker 4: And there's security presence and police presence that is standard at any hospital, but that's not what this program is about. In the traditional response to an incidence of violence, a shooting or a stabbing, you may go to the er real quick, you get patched up, and then you go straight to the precinct. What we decided to do is that we said, hey, let's shift the response and see what happens when we make the center of response a hospital instead of a jail.
Speaker 2: When a patient comes to the er with a gunshot wound, the Stand Up to Violence Team works with the victim and members of the community to prevent violent retaliation. You're essentially talking about preventative medicine here.
Speaker 3: It is it absolutely in America.
Speaker 2: It's not exactly our thing health. We're not known for that. We're more of a reactive medicine at.
Speaker 4: Society, and you know, we have caseworkers, we have social workers, we have therapists, and we also have people who themselves are once incarcerated. Some of our most effective people in this work are the former gang members, people who formerly spent time at rikers.
Speaker 2: I can hear how Fox News would spin this as AOC tries to defund the police and fund gang members.
Speaker 4: If I spent my time worrying about what Fox News said, I would I mean, I wouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: We're here in New York City and you're talking about funding violence prevention outside of the police, and yet Eric Adams has just increased police wages by twenty eight percent.
Speaker 3: Is that misplaced?
Speaker 4: I think? So we are now at a point where officially, most officers are paid more than a teacher with a master's degree serving these same kids involved in these same incidents. We are defunding safety, defunding our public schools, defunding our public pools, defunding our parks, defunding our libraries when we are taking all of those resources and demanding that every single department except the militarized one, because we are sending a message about who and what.
Speaker 3: We care about here in a hospital. Do you ever get the vibes? Do you ever consider a career in the medical profession. It's ho's funny you asked that.
Speaker 4: When I went to college, I went in as a pre medical student. Really I wanted to be in obgim actually, but you know, life takes us in where it takes us.
Speaker 2: I considered going into the medical profession. I thought I could play at handsome doctor on TV.
Speaker 3: Didn't pan out. While we were on.
Speaker 2: The subject of national embarrassments, I had to ask the congresswoman about Clarence Thomas, and as BFF Nazi swag collector Harlan Crowe, I want to talk a little bit.
Speaker 3: About Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 2: You've said you would even draft articles of impeachment for the things that he's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has there been any quid pro quo?
Speaker 2: And I said quid pro quot partially because it took all that effort to learn what quid procol right back in the Ukraine days, and it feels apropos of now.
Speaker 3: And I don't think I used that propos correctly.
Speaker 4: I think that quid pro quo is this bar that doesn't even need to be met. The justice is required by law to disclose something like that, and he hasn't been.
Speaker 2: Can you empathize though Beyonce came here wanted to take you on a sweet vacation, wouldn't you say yes and let her show you her Nazi memorabilia tell someone about it.
Speaker 4: But hey, hey, don't put Bay's name on that like that.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying she has not.
Speaker 2: I'm saying if she invested in Nazi memorabilia to show that she hates Nazi memorabilia, she'd want to show it off.
Speaker 3: And that whole thing is just, I mean bizarre.
Speaker 4: You also don't keep the linens.
Speaker 2: Around which lens or the Nazi linens? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who does that?
Speaker 2: Don't you think if you had a billion dollars and you've bought everything, you'd probably eventually get to Nazi Lenin's.
Speaker 3: This is a distraction of that whole issue.
Speaker 2: You're right, we're just focused on that as opposed to all the money that's going over to Clarence Thompson.
Speaker 3: Although if you're a billionaire, can't billionaires have friends?
Speaker 4: They can? Supreme Court justices are required if they are receiving money from people. They shouldn't even be receiving money from people. This is why we paid salaries to public servants. And if they want to live that kind of lifestyle, then they can resign from the court.
Speaker 3: They can retire.
Speaker 2: No, I want to talk about the It's looking as if the Supreme Court are going to rule on some of the conflicting rulings around Mifipristo. Who do you think is going to write the final decision that takes away these vital rights from women.
Speaker 3: Is it going to be the guy who cried over beer or.
Speaker 2: Is it going to be the buddy with the Nazi memorabilia guys.
Speaker 4: You know, my hope is that they we do not get to that point, but we also have to face the reality that the Supreme Court has chosen to give up huge swaths of their own legitimacy. Chief Justice Roberts Clarence Thomas Brett Kavanaugh, the Republican Party in then giving up trying to take seriously the legitimacy, the standards, the integrity of the court. They have given up a very large degree of their authority.
Speaker 2: The new news in Florida this week is the six week abortion ban. How do women approach that or fight back against something like that that's happening in Florida.
Speaker 4: Of course there's the standard vote and mobilize, but I want to put that aside for a second. We do not have to accept tyranny, and this is a form of tyranny. It is a form of violence.
Speaker 3: Women will die.
Speaker 4: People will die because of this decision, and it will be by and large the men who sign these laws that are killing the women that will die by them. And we have a responsibility to help one another, whether that is supporting organizations that male mifipristone, which has significantly reduced risk, certainly safer than medications like viagra. But ultimately, we cannot continue to accept people in power who will abuse others for their own game.
Speaker 2: Indictment Week was last week. It might also be a month from now too. We could have a lot of indignotities. How do you think New Yorkers treated former President Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: I think they treated him like a Florida man.
Speaker 3: He don't belong to us no long.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're not from Queen's anymore. He's it is in mar Lgo a person.
Speaker 3: And you said New Yorkers treating him as such? Yeah, why wouldn't we.
Speaker 2: Do you think people were weeping when he was booked as he claims?
Speaker 4: Maybe George Santos and Marty Taylor Greenon were, but not me.
Speaker 2: Kick it back to La Wario, Maybe kick it back to LaGuardia, which is in your district.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's in my district, and so is Rikers, and so we have. I have to go in every single day watching people get treated far worse for doing far less, and then you know, it's like this red carpet that gets ruled out. I mean, if you hurt one person, you get ten years in prison, But if you hurt millions of people, you get your name on a building.
Speaker 3: Congrich woman, thanks for talking, of course, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: So sorry, Secretary Boota judge, thank you so much. I apologize for being late. I took Amtrak. Okay, Secretary Booha, Judge, we are here at the Department of Transportation, which is the hub, the central nervous system of America's infrastructure. Yet America is a divided nation. So how do you bring us all together with projects that literally bring us together?
Speaker 6: Well, I think everybody loves a good transportation project, you know, even though not everyone voted for the Infrastructure Law, I have yet to meet anybody who is upset when we're fixing an airport terminal, upgrading a bridge so that we can have a better, safer, more convenient experience and getting around this country.
Speaker 5: What have been the biggest accomplishments at the DOT since you took over?
Speaker 6: So when we got here, first of all, the biggest question back in twenty twenty one about our airlines was whether they were going to go out of business. But then as the demand returned, we started finding new tools to hold those airlines accountable for how they treat passengers.
Speaker 5: What are some of the areas that you think that the DOT could improve upon? Have you hit any roadblocks?
Speaker 7: See what you did there? Thank you.
Speaker 6: You know, we're doing a lot right now to hold freight railroad companies accountable for their safety practices. But right now the fines are capped. For example, if we catch a railroad company in an egregious violation involving hazardous material to get somebody killed, the highest toughest fine under the law that we can assess, it's about two hundred fifty thousand dollars. That is not enough in my view to get the attention of a multi billion dollar railroad company like in Norfolk, Southern. Right now, there's a bipartisan proposal in the Senate. It's called the Railway Safety Act, and it would do a number of things that I've been calling for that I think would make a big difference. You know, right now we're dealing with some not all, but some Republicans on Capitol Hill who are saying, well, we don't want to do too much too fast when it comes to getting tough on the railroad companies.
Speaker 7: In my view, we need to act.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Why do you think some Republicans are stalling on this? Is it because they're too busy focused on starting culture wars.
Speaker 6: Well, I do think that the culture wars are getting in the way sometimes. I mean, just the other day I was testifying in the Appropriation subcommittee explaining how our budget was going to help with things like railroad safety, air traffic control, and other transportation needs, and we had to take a break so that they could all go and vote on a bill to kick transgender teenagers off of sports teams.
Speaker 7: That was the priority for the House goop that day.
Speaker 6: So these things really are getting in the way of our ability to get work done. We're literally building bridges and they're literally banning books.
Speaker 5: Is the Department of Transportation going woke?
Speaker 6: I don't think it's woke to build good infrastructure. I just saw Fox News taking a run of me for the work that we're doing on safety, including the use of crash test dummies that simulate men, women, and children, And somehow this is considered a woke priority to have female crash test dummies, even though not something that's been around for.
Speaker 7: A very long time.
Speaker 5: Fox News has made loads of false statements about you over the years. What do you think you think it's lawsuit time cash in on some of that seven hundred and eighty seven million coin.
Speaker 6: It does sound like there's a lot of money in it, but I think that'd probably be a bit of a distraction in my case.
Speaker 5: Possibly but you know, I mean it could help fund some of these projects.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I'd prefer to go through the appropriations process. But the amount of money in that lawsuit is as much as some of our nationwide transportation infrastructure programs.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean that could repair at least hundreds of feet a tunnel.
Speaker 7: It's depending on the tunnel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sect to tell you boo to judge, thank you for chatting with us, Thanks for joining us. Real quick before I go, can I just get a quick reimbursement for the train that I took out here. I was literally on the train for about twelve.
Speaker 7: Hours straight, sorry to hear that.
Speaker 5: And this was the Aesla. This was like the best train that America has to offer. So if I could just get a little little.
Speaker 7: Refund, you're gonna have to take that up with Amtrak.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you'll turn it in.
Speaker 7: You know, sure to send it along for you. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: I think you could use your stamp of approval.
Speaker 7: We don't actually use stamps anymore here, but oh hey, thanks for looking up.
Speaker 5: Thank you, secretary. It really was an honor. Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he enjoy the trip.
Speaker 5: Oh, this is incredible. Do you mind if I just take a spin around?
Speaker 6: Welcome to look around a little bit. Okay, great, Or I could just describe things to you.
Speaker 7: It's okay.
Speaker 5: Now, I'll just sneak into some of these desks.
Speaker 3: What does this do?
Speaker 7: Please? Don't touch that. This, don't touch it.
Speaker 6: Or really any any of that. Yeah, just just yeah.
Speaker 7: Hello operator? Excuse yeah?
Speaker 5: How do I turn this on again?
Speaker 7: Please? Don't touch that? What you doing over here? Can I borrow your badge? No? Just quick, I'll give it back. Thanks.
Speaker 4: Fun.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on fair Amount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast