Speaker 1: I leave in a you wanna way back home? Either way, we.
Speaker 2: Want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a German, al and gay.
Speaker 3: We want to send you off inside. Do you wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it? We scared her?
Speaker 3: Was it fine? Now for do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do your need ride?
Speaker 4: Ride with Karen and Chris.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Do you need a ride? My name's Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: My name is Karen Colgareth. Hi, Karen, Hi Chris.
Speaker 5: It feels like I haven't seen you in some time.
Speaker 6: I've honestly missed you and almost called you one time.
Speaker 5: You don't ever hesitate.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's you're not allowed to anymore. Oh yeah, you know people.
Speaker 6: I've actually had people who I thought were my good friends called them on the phone and have them have the weirdest reactions.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, by call me, I did mean for you.
Speaker 5: To just text me.
Speaker 6: But what I'm saying is I missed you enough so that I wanted to call you and hear your voice.
Speaker 5: I'm kidding of course I want you.
Speaker 1: To call You were going for what two weeks?
Speaker 5: Over three?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: My all in t I mean.
Speaker 1: What seven weeks? It felt like seven.
Speaker 5: Well that slow drift towards those parked cars felt like seven seconds. Really it was just one. So it's the same effect. It's fight, right. You notice in TV shows where people are talking and driving, they just turn their head and look at the person, yes, because they want their face on camera.
Speaker 6: I'm here to tell you that that is not realistic, and you can't look away from the road for one second.
Speaker 4: Not even one second.
Speaker 1: I literally just.
Speaker 6: Tried to look at Chris like we were having a conversation and almost just took out a whole row cars.
Speaker 5: See, that's why we should just be texting and driving, because it's too dangerous to actually talk.
Speaker 1: We should be in two separate cars texting each other.
Speaker 6: We should, and then reading the text aloud very high speeds. Highway highway texting is the new podcast that we're going to be doing.
Speaker 5: At least they're not making eye contact with a person that might be in the car. Now, that's dangerous. No, at least when you're texting you're facing forward.
Speaker 6: It's also it's danger physically, and then it's also very dangerous emotionally to make that connection with a person.
Speaker 4: It's dangerous. There's so much risk in so many ways.
Speaker 5: In so many ways, I feel not I feel exhausted. I think, well, so you were truly.
Speaker 6: Like just this morning, came home from a three week run on the road doing stand up comedy for three weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was downtime, and I think it was the downtime I didn't like. I wish that all the shows could just be all in one week and a half long period, all next to each other. Yeah, that would have been great.
Speaker 1: But then you had time to kind of simmer in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, to marinate, marinate aka feel lonely or like I don't know what I'm doing with my career mm.
Speaker 6: Hmmm yeah, to really just have those ask the big questions. But when you're by yourself in a days.
Speaker 5: In, Yeah, it's important to evaluate your life when you're in a low rand hotel. I wish I was in days in. I was in many in many a count I tore him open like the animal from Star Wars and probably cushions.
Speaker 1: Apple in that one video where you got inside the.
Speaker 6: Couch, Yes, exactly oh, I like to picture you like that.
Speaker 5: I like to picture me in all of Fienna at Fienna. Oh Apple, Oh, I feel terrific.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 5: I have a stomach ache and a headache.
Speaker 1: Should we get two different ginger ale?
Speaker 4: Oh that's old wives tail.
Speaker 1: No ginger is good for you.
Speaker 5: There's no ginger in ginger ale. Maybe in the forties.
Speaker 1: It's uh.
Speaker 6: The ginger ale I drink is just one big slice of ginger with I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't drink a beverage while podcasting. I think I've decided that, Well, there's.
Speaker 1: A little cup of water right there in case an emergency.
Speaker 5: Oh, that I can in case I have some emergency.
Speaker 1: To pour in there emergency.
Speaker 5: So you you're gonna do it. You have to do a lot of the heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Mentally, who's that is that? Who are we picking up today?
Speaker 1: Karen McCarthy, which he was? I think he. I just texted him to come out.
Speaker 4: Is he on his stoop?
Speaker 1: He was smoking his stick on the stoop. Wait. I said, we're going to go on around block and get you, and then he said, yes.
Speaker 5: That was one thing I noticed in Texas, all of the comics still smoked.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, does anyone vape?
Speaker 5: I'm sure they do a lot of vaping, but they probably don't talk about it because they don't want to say the word vape. I hope they don't. I don't.
Speaker 1: It's very embarrassing.
Speaker 5: It's embarrassing when it comes out of your mouth.
Speaker 6: Although I have to say that being able to vape inside a bar is kind of fun. It feels very illegal. Yeah, like it feels. It feels like the Roaring thirties are in the twenties.
Speaker 5: And it's funny because I was looking at photos from just ten years ago in Austin. Maybe it was ten eleven years ago. Well, that needed no correcting, and everyone's in the comedy club just smoking, like hanging out in the comedy club. Like even then, I think that you weren't supposed to smoke indoors, But it was not that long.
Speaker 4: Ago that it was total normal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you did that now, people would scream and call you a lunatic.
Speaker 6: They would they would see what you doing, they would they would beat you and then they would take you to court.
Speaker 5: Then all the townsfolk would be walking with torches and they rose and pitch.
Speaker 1: Fork they would Frankenstein Frankenstein's monster.
Speaker 5: Please let's be specific. Oh, I wonder if I can unbutton my leather jacket from the gangster top button position. It's a weird jet. This isn't my kind of jacket. I feel like I'm trying to be cool.
Speaker 1: I like it, is it thick leather?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's it's rubber. I think I feel like I'm wearing it. Like, yeah, just like the fawns wore a baggy wet suit.
Speaker 1: And your shirt has eyeglasses.
Speaker 5: Yeah, little, yeah, it's like I'm always wearing glasses. But I'm not get it. You get it my little joke about the shirt.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 5: Oh the shirt. Yes, I'm just wearing glasses.
Speaker 1: There's Matt McCarthy. They recognize him.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's the best.
Speaker 1: Do you know Matt McCarthy.
Speaker 5: I do. I've seen him do stand up and I'm like, well, that guy's funny. I hope one day I can be friends with him, or maybe riding a car with him.
Speaker 1: Today's the day. Yeah, but I really hope that you're best friends by the end of this trip.
Speaker 5: I think we will. Hi, Matt, Hi, Matt, have a seat. There's a microphone. He knows what he knows what?
Speaker 1: This guy's un natural?
Speaker 5: How are you good to see it? We met before we did a show, or maybe not. I confused watching people do stand up for having met them. I saw you a holy fuck or whatever they call that now. Oh sleep away camp, yeh, sleep away camp, and you were terrific than you. I'm like, who's that guy? Maybe I can be friends with him and or podcast in a car with him one day. Well, we're doing it.
Speaker 6: It's happening. Matt also has a podcast. His is all about wrestling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we watched wrestling with New Wrestling, Old Wrestling, WWE, ww F.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all of it, any wrestling, pro wrestling. We watched Mexican Lucha Libre Japanese. Uhsawa, I think that's how they say it.
Speaker 1: You mean, yeah, that's a director.
Speaker 5: Sorry, no, she.
Speaker 4: Karen just got back from World War two forgive her flavorant race and.
Speaker 1: Just all these different ways you could see this podcast.
Speaker 5: Also, since she's been back, Matt, I've noticed, don't make any loud sudden noises because.
Speaker 1: I always think Charlie's coming.
Speaker 4: Charlie, Charlie.
Speaker 1: That's a light racial isn't nice and fun.
Speaker 4: Charlie's in the Tree.
Speaker 5: Have you ever been?
Speaker 4: I went to college with a guy who was overtly racist.
Speaker 1: Were you in Boston by any chance?
Speaker 4: No, I was in New York City. It was startling. I was in the Bronx too, so it was like but like meeting people from.
Speaker 1: All over, but like high risk racism.
Speaker 4: A lot of the New New England people, Sure, the New York Natives were the most racist people I'd ever met in my entire life. And it blew my mind.
Speaker 5: I've heard I've heard that more than more than once.
Speaker 4: I mean, and I was from Rhode Island. It's very densely populated, but I was just sheltered and I, you know, I realize that more and more.
Speaker 5: My gosh, Yeah, I'm from the widest state ever, Montana, and that's fun. Yeah, you don't run into a lot of people say disparaging things about Native Americans because they're there, and that always bothered me.
Speaker 4: Well, my wife's from Colorado, so she understands that.
Speaker 5: She probably had a similar upbringing to me.
Speaker 6: I grew up in a similar states, So I don't know what anyone's talking really.
Speaker 4: You grew up in the Yeah, there were a lot of there are a lot of natives in her town growing up. Yes, Oh, not in like rich Colorado, I mean like Durango, Colorado.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've been there. I've been to the I used to have a sticker from the Durango Shredshed there you go. I bought a leash there when I was snowboarding a crested butte.
Speaker 4: It's just snowboard.
Speaker 5: You were going to tell yeah, yeah, yeah, tell us racist stories? Was I Yeah, yeah, you were gonna say, verbat him some of the things that's racist, friend of yours.
Speaker 4: You're still yell oh yeah, yeah yeah. So I went to college with the guy who was like overtly racist, and uh, he would get liquered up and he would run around on campus, you know, late at night, like not like we'd be walking home from the bar. Let's say, he wouldn't just get drunk and then go running around doing this although possibly, but uh and scream like you know, racial epitaphs and be like Charlie's in the Trees Charlie's.
Speaker 5: Wow, Oh my god, was he crazy? Or is that his that was his brand of comedy.
Speaker 4: I guess that he thought that was his brand. I don't Yeah, I don't know. He was crazy too. He was, you know, a violent drunk. He was the only one who was. He would get drunk and just became violent and a group of very silly drunks.
Speaker 5: Wow, and he's he was in college. He actually got a degree and is out there in the workforce currently, probably has a wife and kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he went well, he went back to his high school and now he teaches it. That so now's yes.
Speaker 5: Of course good. It's important a guy like that mold a young forming.
Speaker 6: Brain because really, to be honest, Charlie is in the trees. I'm sorry, you know, I'm sorry your PC mind doesn't like it.
Speaker 4: Those guys are pro Charlie mind, exactly pro Charlie.
Speaker 5: They have a racial propensity for tree climbing. Is that really even a bad thing to say? We all love treehouses?
Speaker 4: Guerrilla warfare back in the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always wondered what that meant.
Speaker 1: Is that really what it meant?
Speaker 4: I have no idea, Probably not, since the spelling is different. Yeah, but maybe.
Speaker 1: Matt and I had brunches morning.
Speaker 5: Is that the That's the meal that people have when they're hungry in between breakfast and lunch, right, it's the meal.
Speaker 6: People have when they want when they want to drink in the morning and talk shit about people.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what I find. Okay, I've never.
Speaker 1: Had a good one.
Speaker 4: We had a good one. And what's interesting is Kevin's last name is Kaminsky, so it was Karen Kolgareth, Vin Kominsky. Me and Glennis were like, Oh my gosh, who's one less case.
Speaker 1: So many cas be racist.
Speaker 4: This is the ras. Oh, we're not going to get away from it.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 5: Have you seen that Mexican wrestling that I had to commentate it once it was done. It was very fun, but it made me very nervous because the people watching are very serious about the wrestling, So you have to be funny but also not say anything bad about the wrestling.
Speaker 1: To be respectful.
Speaker 5: Oh, you must respect the moves, even when it's two little little guys dressed like chickens coming out of an egg that cracked. Like the theatrics with the Luca Libre are pretty terrific.
Speaker 4: You know who luvvum.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's not for me, that's not for you.
Speaker 4: I take it so seriously. I can't even show up and watch the guy come.
Speaker 5: Up to see I wonder that's kind of what because.
Speaker 4: A lot of the talent that does work there. I go and see them up in resita do what they do and they are outstanding.
Speaker 5: Well that's that seems like it must be uh, you must be torn because.
Speaker 4: Actually now we're back to gorillas again. It's pro wrestling gorilla.
Speaker 5: Oh that's what that that's I was going to go to that. Ron Funches said, that's your most amazing thing ever?
Speaker 4: Is always there? I want to go I'm always there.
Speaker 5: And that's the kind of wrestling where they break fluorescent bulbs and staple each other in the face and stuff.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, this is this is much more like the Lucha Libre in Mexico. And everybody does a a tope socdo over the top rope or well I guess that's through the rope whatever. But everybody flies, everybody flips, everybody flops. It's a outstanding wake the kids.
Speaker 5: What sounds like that's absolutely something you couldn't take seriously or that should you you should take seriously. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Yes, And then and then you even sit there and then you can have problems with that and being like why aren't they doing this? Why aren't they doing You know, it's wonderful, didn't it.
Speaker 6: Pick Oh, like you're a purist if you're sitting there your life. They're not being legit enough because.
Speaker 4: Bah, well no, no, I mean sometimes I'm like, you know, why does everybody need to do a flip over the top rope? It is part of the spectacle and that it's coming out of that Lucha libre style, but uh, and it's just a different way of like because there's so many different ways of doing pro wrestling, it's it's remarkable that the only one that broke through to the mainstream the biggest was what Vince McMahon put for.
Speaker 5: Like the theatric character.
Speaker 4: Wrestling definitely, definitely, whereas like in Japan, they it's still immensely popular and they you know, everybody knows that it's a show, but it's like nobody it's it's it's still presented like sport, and it's much more crazy to watch and attempts to watch. And actually January fourth, they're doing their first pay per view that that is going to air in the United States and the guy that used to do play by play for the WWF is doing the play by play for who's that guy? Is that the guy that has Good Old j R? Jim Ross?
Speaker 5: Okay, who's the guy that has Burger Chain?
Speaker 4: Is that maybe mean Gene Oakley? Mean Gene?
Speaker 5: Yeah, mean Jean's Burgers they were in. There is a place in Missoula, Montana called me Jurgers.
Speaker 4: I would love to eat that. I did a show and Atlanta once. I would love to eat it. And I took a cab all the way to the outer Perimeter outside Atlanta to go to Abdullah the Butcher's House of ribs and Chinese food. Oh that's terrific. Well, it was the most MSG drenched food I've ever eaten in my life. And I couldn't stop eating it.
Speaker 5: Well that's the thing about MSG, it just can't stop.
Speaker 4: It's so good. Yeah, it felt like it was kind of I forget what neighborhood or what town it's called or whatever. What it was outside the perimeter.
Speaker 6: Do you have met any passions that equal your passion for wrestling?
Speaker 4: Oh? Comedy?
Speaker 5: So then that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 4: I also love movies. You've seen You've been in my house, You've seen all those DVDs and videotapes.
Speaker 1: I have okay, all right, because I love everything.
Speaker 4: What it is is, I think people think all I do is love pro wrestling, and I do feed into that just because I think it's funny that people think. Because I think people think that I like it at all means that I'm crazy into it. But I am crazy into it, but no more so than comedy or movies or ertainment in general. For sure.
Speaker 1: It's just the thing you talk about more.
Speaker 4: Absolutely because I it's it's hysterical because literally nobody cares. You know. It's one of those things where like I'll wear like an obscure shirt just to get somebody to go, oh wow, that's really good, and then you can start, you spark up a conversation with this, you know, this oddity and it is and it is. It's funny. The more that I do it, the more that I realize how not just myself felt marginalized being a fan, but like the idea of a closeted wrestling fan, like my best friend in the world, Vince Avil, who co hosts the show with me when we watch wrestling, he would ditch out of this years ago, like like he approached me. He approached me at the taping we both did for Live of Gotham and he's like, hey, I hear you're into pro wrestling. I'm like, yeah, man, I love pro wrestling. And then he's like, hey, I'm having a WrestleMania party. We should go, and then you know, a friendship was born, like a life long friendship. But my point is is that we would be at bars or shows talking about wrestling and other comedians walk over and he's like, you know, I got to dip out of this right now, and he would just walk away because he couldn't couldn't own up to it.
Speaker 1: He was too ashamed.
Speaker 4: People make you feel a shamed, Oh a shame. Yeah. So that is a big part of the show of the podcast, and I think because a lot of non wrestling fans listen to it because and I do feed into that of like the intensity and talking about it seriously and being like, you know, I play into the I explained this a few issues back where I was like, I when we go to pwg up and Resita, I have decided in my head, like I don't start walking around like an old lady or pretend that my teeth are falling out, but I pretend that I'm an old woman in nineteen seventy six with wigs, and I am at Madison Square Garden, and I have been watching pro wrestling since the late eighteen hundreds, lady, because if you watch old pro wrestling tapes from like the sixties and especially the seventies and very early eighties, it is it is not men and is not young kids. It is in the front row. It is predominantly old women. Really, some of them are for yous at these heels. Wow, I cadt.
Speaker 5: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's oh yeah, there's really weird.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite clips. Oh yeah, man, oh yeah, Well you got to think of like that's the think of when it was regional before cable TV, before Vince McMahon ruined it. It was in every market in the country. Yeah, it was a regional thing. Every local TV station had basically its own wrestling that they showed. There was like all the territories were all split up between all these promoters, and then you got to see all these different acts coming to your town. But it was the local live entertainment every single week. Like in Memphis, they they would run the wrestling show every single Monday for every week of the it's it's it's it's just incredible.
Speaker 5: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. Yeah, that I find it in you guys want to go see that wrestling, then Jared Key loler, he ain't gonna get me, goddamn.
Speaker 5: And they don't like then, I want to keep your wrestling and your comedy separate.
Speaker 4: And I used to well, no, not necessarily, but but yeah, I don't want the comedy to become before I want it to be a pro wrestling show. But they definitely do things that are very tongue in cheek and arry, we're all in on this and we're all enjoying the show at once, which is fantastic, and that is like, it quenches such a thirst of mine. But also, if they're gonna act like the pro wrestler and they're gonna act like the referee, it is my duty to act like the fan showed up and and goddamn it, I go to beat up. I stand outside, Oh god damn day waiting to go in there and to get a seat. I'm gonna get liquered up and I'm gonna scream at those referees.
Speaker 6: Quick question, did you do Crystal Math before you got no.
Speaker 1: I love it and we used to talk about it all the time at.
Speaker 4: Work, but that is part of it. I do it because it's I know it's hysterical because who cares it's wrestling, But then it's like it is my duty to care, and it's up to me. If I don't, then then then it doesn't exist. If I don't care, pro wrestling ceases to exist. They can't do it for each other. It's not like you can't do it a basketball game where they can do it with no fans there and still have a winner.
Speaker 5: I've seen those games. There you go, you can get bootleg copies, blots.
Speaker 4: What is the point of that?
Speaker 5: What is it without the whistling? It's not I am uh yeah. I used to skateboard a lot, and I used to not talk about it because I was I thought people would think it was childish or something. And I don't know, I don't know. I don't care anymore. I used to care what people thought.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: Angry at everyone, but I do. I do remember there was a time when I was able to interview skateboarders for fuel, and then they wanted it to be funny, and I was like, oh, this is great. It's the colliding of both my interests, but I did not like it. I want to keep them separate. I'm serious about skateboarding, and when I was like kind of making fun of it, it did not feel good. And so maybe that's kind of maybe what Lucha Vavum is.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, because I think they kind of a standard approach is like a sneer, Like everything doesn't have to be a sneer, and I think that's just kind of that's a TV if you're the idea is if you're going to do comedy on TV, that's how you have to approach things, like it's not cool to really like something, right, oh.
Speaker 4: No doubt. Like at PWG there are moments of irony and and it's moments of comedy, which one PWD. Yeah, it feels like they're making fun of it doesn't necessarily make they feel like they're making fun of pro wrestling maybe, but pro wrestling fans maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's that's more of a variety show, and wrestling is like one fifth of it. I think that's right.
Speaker 4: Because there's burlesque and yeah, right, and and I am not as keen on burlesque as most people.
Speaker 5: I like when girls quit burlesque and become roller Derby girls.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 6: I like when roller Derby girls quit and become born again Christians.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite art.
Speaker 4: I just like Christians. I had to follow a burlessue act that was naked and pete in a glass and balanced it on her head. Oh wow, so I've got a chip on my shoulder? When was that? That was the mo pickens. Uh, you're a few years ago, many years ago?
Speaker 5: That's that almost seem that's pretty pornographic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't like it.
Speaker 5: No, nobody told me, hey, hope you're all into pee play. No, no, none of us are.
Speaker 4: No. That was the most upsetting part is everyone she got a standing ovation. People were there to see her do this. She walks out on stage, stark, naked as the day she was born. This hard, probably about three pounds less heavy. Then she has two glasses of white wine that she's balancing on her open palms, and she's kind of doing like a walk like Egyptian thing. I forget what kind of music was playing, because I hope that I went deaf with anger. So then she puts one glass of wine on top of her head and then chugs the other one then squats down over the empty glass peas.
Speaker 5: In that with control and without splatter.
Speaker 4: People showed people paid money to see this.
Speaker 5: Of course, were they Japanese businessmen, No, they were east they were Eastern New York scumbacks. Okay, similar interests.
Speaker 4: And then and then rince washed repeat. Then she did it with the other one, and then that at the very end, she took a baby sip of the piss oh and then scurried backstage.
Speaker 5: That's what happens in a mental hawk, and that that's when everyone's boners crawled into their bodies like turtle heads.
Speaker 4: And on their feet and wanted more.
Speaker 1: So that said, they got me.
Speaker 4: That's what That's.
Speaker 5: Why I don't that's every audience when they come to see comedy, you'd rather just be watching some naked girl drink pea.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: Also, to me, that's like that's horrifying. That's that's a crowd mentality. That's like I'm going to do something that's that's taboo. And then everyone's having their own individual type of freak out. But it's being interpreted as positive feedback.
Speaker 1: But it's just it. No one should be peeing in a cup.
Speaker 4: So I would. I would love to talk to every single person that was there. I would love to talk to her. I would love to talk to management. But because my memory of it is that everybody loved it, huh. And then I know for a fact when I went up they hated my fucking seven minutes of joke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they were like, is he just trying to be funny? I thought we were here to just see to react.
Speaker 1: Where things? Where's the scatology and all of this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Is he gonna drink it's pee during a joke? People, that's just unprofessional as a as a performer opening for someone disgusting.
Speaker 4: You always clean your.
Speaker 5: Right, man, that's amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, you had a good show the other night at Matt and I did Jo de Rosa's show at the Belly Room at the Comedy Store.
Speaker 4: True, that place before the store.
Speaker 5: Good for you? Neither of I mean. I go there and then I'm like why am I here?
Speaker 4: And I leave.
Speaker 1: It's really bad vibes there.
Speaker 6: Although the guy that I met, the guy in the parking lot, was really nice.
Speaker 1: He got me a parking space.
Speaker 5: And honestly, the guy that books it now he used to be a waiter at the Tempe improv and he's the sweetest dude ever. He made me like a mixtape when I left because I mentioned a band on stage. Yeah, the game. Yeah. But I think that he's been there long enough to where maybe I don't know, I don't know if he's uh still I think he's still cool. But I know I don't work there, but I don't ask for stuff.
Speaker 6: I think that's a real click. You They they're the ones that do that thing of like you have to go do a certain number of sets and then be asked back and old, old this process.
Speaker 5: Then you audition in front of this decrepit lady who breathes through a tube and then or I'm not talking about anyone specific. Yeah I am, we know I am. But I can say that my uh my dad wrote jokes for her ex husband.
Speaker 1: Let's not talk about that family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, let's not talk about my family either. Oh look at this fancy Japanese place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I brought you. I wanted to bring you guys here.
Speaker 5: Let's do I want to Let's do a mock karate fight there.
Speaker 1: That's kind of amazing. What does it say? It's it's probably a Buddhist home of.
Speaker 5: Us idling and looking at it. It's probably bad mojo. Let's move, let's drive straight on it.
Speaker 4: It says it's.
Speaker 1: A Buddhist temple, isn't it.
Speaker 4: How how are you temple? Chinatown, l A?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, really cool looking. That's a beautiful temple.
Speaker 1: Do you get to go visit that when it's in the normal daytime?
Speaker 4: I wonder, like a like their Catholic church where anybody could just waltz in during the day. They put a it doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 1: During the day, they put a termite tent, so it pays attention to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 6: I do like Chinatown in l A. It's such a weird it's kind of legit.
Speaker 4: Let's drive through that. Where's the big archway?
Speaker 1: Uh? Where is it near Union Station? I don't know what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I figured you'd know, you know, with the big dragon, like there's like a big statue of the goddamn dragon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if they know what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: When we went to the show with Henry, when Henry did the episode, I think we were.
Speaker 1: By that archway.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, yes, remember that. Yeah, and it's straight out of Rush Hour too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: God, yeah. Then let's then let's go through the second street tunnel that they use in the terminator. Oh oh, let's do that.
Speaker 5: We have so many sights to see.
Speaker 4: Well, you sound. Whenever I go to Santa Monica, if I've got no time, I drive down Olympic all the way back. So I go through the go past the building from die Hard.
Speaker 5: It's so fun to knocka toomy Plaza. Oh yeah, there's knocka toomy plazas here.
Speaker 4: It's like building or something.
Speaker 5: An Olympico. It's in Century city.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's I don't think it's in centuries. I don't know what. I honestly have no idea what part of town it's in because I've never had to stop. But whatever, I'm in Santa Monica and I drive back, I take if you take Olympic.
Speaker 1: Look we're heading toward.
Speaker 5: Oh that's gotta be that's not knocha toomy Plaza.
Speaker 4: Look looks see, Karen, you knew, you knew the whole time. Those ar you are Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Those are majestic.
Speaker 6: These majestic dragons are on Broadway if anybody wants to come, and.
Speaker 5: These are they're like the Asian style dragons, not the kind from Game of Throne.
Speaker 1: No, no, these are.
Speaker 5: Not these they're very serpentine.
Speaker 1: These are a trouble little China dragon.
Speaker 4: Oh and you know you're in trouble when you see those eyes. Isn't it unsettling that so many different cultures on the planet that never had any interaction with each other have centuries and centuries of mythology about dragons, like like England and China both like have like dragons giant.
Speaker 1: That's because they were real.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, there's a flathead like monster where I'm from, but it turned out to be a giant Sturgist.
Speaker 1: Don't you a sturgeon.
Speaker 5: Sturgeon, it's from Sturgis. So it's Harley Davidson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Well because that explanation that that a lot of deep lakes are connected by underground caverns and that there could be families of Brontosaurus. Yeah oh no, no, like they could have somehow lived.
Speaker 1: Kay what So it's okay, I just believe in that log nest monster. Doesn't matter what you say.
Speaker 4: I think you're absolutely right because if you consider the fact that, like we're exploring outer space when we haven't been to the bottom of the ocean. Yet that's right, that's preposterous.
Speaker 6: Eighty percent of the ocean hasn't been explored, right, eighty no doubt?
Speaker 4: Well yeah, oh wow, more than that, but I would you might even be sighting so Jacques Cousteau quote about like how because the national territory of the United States extends x amount of miles past the California coast like well, well, well into the ocean. Oh so like I think you could technically say eighty percent of the United States is still unexplored. Wow wow in those terms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good lord, that nuts. It gives my money too, and it's all glowing with phosphorus.
Speaker 4: I guess you're Gusteau state. I don't know. I want to go and then like you do you got these giants maybe I don't. You got these giant squids that they talk about on TV that they like, they've never seen, but they like eat, you know, a giant whales and stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so scary, it's crazy, it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: I love those pictures.
Speaker 6: When it's like a whale and then a diver next to the whale that looks like a tiny fly.
Speaker 4: Like I love.
Speaker 1: Perspective like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's my favorite because it's such a fascinating thing of like, you know, whales are big, but you don't understand how big they are unless you've been to the Natural History.
Speaker 4: Museum and new are Oh oh well, yeah, because I got to. I was lucky growing up in that's awesome tunnel. That was the tunnel. Oh, growing up in Rhode Island. So it's like there's a you know, a maritime history and going to the aquarium, but going to the Boston uh uh Sea Museum crap. I can't even remember what it was called.
Speaker 5: I haven't been to any of that.
Speaker 1: There's another one up there, but then there's this one. Should I go to the other one?
Speaker 4: Let's do both.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're just doing tunnel stuff. This tunnel was built by a dragon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this tunnel is no good though. It's the other tunnels the one, but let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go to that one. Let's not. We know what tunnels are. It's not like we have to do every single tunnel.
Speaker 4: Do you know what the guy who gets into the cabin Ghostbusters, let's not, dondle.
Speaker 1: We do love movies.
Speaker 4: I love them them. I love piece of crap movies.
Speaker 1: Like shitty, like like the one that we watched that night.
Speaker 4: Poulse Beat, Pulse Beat, Pulse. I can't believe that that guy has actually been in a bunch of other stuff. I watched a couple of good movies, like he played Woody Harrelson's dad in a Kingpin.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just watched Kingpin.
Speaker 6: Sweeter than you who You've got to see this movie Pulse Beat Chris freak Out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so funny and stupid.
Speaker 4: Who made it?
Speaker 5: Tell me about it?
Speaker 4: It's just these two Spanish brothers wrote and directed and produced it and they never did anything else. And it's this aerobic sex comedy. Oh wow, that was shot in a racketball court. Oh my gosh, we're in the tunnel now, that's almost almost homeless homeless for homeless.
Speaker 1: Wait, what movie is this?
Speaker 4: From the Terminator? This is when they get chased by the terminator through this tunnel. The first one. Also, I think when mel Gibson uh like hangs out of the side of the cars trying to shoot somebody in the first leath the weapon, it might be in this tunnel as well. Okay, nice? And then I'm definitely not remembering a couple other things. And I like the tip of it. Yeah, space, that's I like it.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I wish they.
Speaker 5: Would clean it up a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could fix some of it's a missing tiles.
Speaker 1: They could give it a rent.
Speaker 4: If you have ever seen in film or television, it's all very shiny, it's wonderful. Yeah, they just do that in post.
Speaker 6: I bet THX eleven forty three was shot in there a little bit.
Speaker 1: Remember that is that the first George Lucas y where it's.
Speaker 6: Robert the shaved head in a white white space. I saw that when I was seven.
Speaker 1: I believe, God.
Speaker 4: Bless you can not.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: My friend John Blue said to his parents he wanted to be an astronaut when he was six, so his mom rented him Space Camp and watched those by himself. So there you go. Saw Interstellar.
Speaker 5: That me too. That was that blew my pants off?
Speaker 4: Loved it.
Speaker 5: Did you think it was kind of scientology?
Speaker 4: Ishue? No, I thought it was, you know, I mean, I guess I guess it was like scientology because it struck me as a you know, the plot line if you looked at it from afar was just a trite sci fi movie. Yeah, but it was very good.
Speaker 1: Chris Christopher Nolan, scientologist.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just do know. I don't want to blow the movie for anyone. But space ghosts.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that's all I haven't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna they're gonna get a unless it was made by Warner Brothers, they are gonna get a lawsuit. People that don't space ghost, yeah they should.
Speaker 5: It's Coast to Coast.
Speaker 4: That means there's no room for space ghosts. I wish I could remember the actual space ghost thing. But yeah, of course, got to Coast. Yeah, it was great. I get a legit handed God swear Swear to God.
Speaker 1: The lopace Ghost, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Space Ghost was my favorite, along with the herculoids.
Speaker 5: It was really great.
Speaker 4: Because I, by the time, I was catching reruns of a lot of those action Hanna Barbera cartoons on Saturday mornings in the in the in the repackaging under the title of World of Superadventure, so it had herculoids, Fantastic four, Space Ghost, Birdman and the.
Speaker 1: Like, the Genie Sea lab one, yes exactly.
Speaker 5: Is that the guys with the little the Muppet people.
Speaker 6: No, Okay, they just took an old I think it was originally called Sea Lab, and then they revoiced. They used like all the different sections where's action, but then they just revoiced everything.
Speaker 1: And it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 6: It's like a real cartoon of like people that live under the sea in a in a laboratory.
Speaker 5: I really like repurposed old footage, yeah with comedy.
Speaker 1: Oh, then you got to see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 1: It's real, real good.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna watch the dickens out of it.
Speaker 4: I really like, yeah, what.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna do? Sob oh, just oh yeah, you don't know how the world works.
Speaker 1: Lady lady really blew it, ma'am.
Speaker 4: And then she she had the and then twenty twenty we.
Speaker 5: Give a little stinki twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: We just drove past the building with those numbers. Huh.
Speaker 6: I think it's Sea Love twenty twenty one like the original was twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was looking at the wrong side of the street though.
Speaker 6: We could drive by. Isn't there isn't the Sunday night show. There's the one at TeX's right.
Speaker 5: Oh, certainly there have you done that one. I'm but it's been some time.
Speaker 4: But it is a show.
Speaker 6: He's the best, and what is what are other Sunday shows? I was kind of doing a route where I was pretending we were driving by Sunday night shows.
Speaker 5: Oh, of course, well let's keep doing that. I don't know, though, so I'm bad at There's certain comments that are like, oh, the five shows on Monday.
Speaker 4: I don't ever know.
Speaker 5: I never know, and so that's why my career isn't there used.
Speaker 6: To be on Cabaret on Sunday, but they moved or they are moving locations.
Speaker 5: I recall that being the name of something.
Speaker 1: This is not a good direction for us to go down.
Speaker 5: I have no idea where we are, Matt.
Speaker 4: Do you know where we are?
Speaker 5: How long have you lived here in Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: Matt? I've lived in Los Angeles just over two years. But I moved here October November first, well not November first, but I moved here November seventh, twenty twelve.
Speaker 5: And you, of course spend time as a New York comedian before that.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I lived in New York for basically fifteen years.
Speaker 5: Do you do you miss anything about being in New York comic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, knowing like something that you just said, like knowing all the rooms no yeah, places ago, no one to get there, you know, having a like because I mean, that's where my roots are, that's where I started. I've never done stand up in Rhode Island.
Speaker 5: I found it very exciting to do stand up in New York the times I've gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love New York. But what do you like about being here then? Just the fact that you just yeah, the practicality of like being able to, you know, be in a car, the freedom of that, the freedom of not not relying on public transportation or the weather not sucking. The weather in New York is abysmal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hot, Oh yeah, humidity is that's a deal.
Speaker 4: It's I mean, I might hate it in the city when it's hot worse than when it's cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think I definitely do.
Speaker 4: I definitely do. I don't even know why I said, let's commit to that, because I'm also I hide from the sun. I'm very fair skinned, I have red hair. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And that humidity is like being in a sauna, but on the subway, it's like.
Speaker 4: Walking beside then and then you get a breeze and it's like walking behind a bus.
Speaker 5: And every time I've been there that the garbage people are on strike and there's just piles of fish guts moldering in the heat of.
Speaker 4: You know, it's too cold. The subway stops working. It's too hot, the subway stop working, it rains, the subway stops working for the whole weekend. I mean, it's a crisis happening in New York City. No one's doing anything.
Speaker 5: But I do remember there being piles of garbage, and it made me want to jump into them from fire I always wanted to jump off a fire escape into a pile of bags, bags of garbage, like.
Speaker 1: Off a building. Well, not just like walking back after a while.
Speaker 5: I was just walking by and diving. But I did jump off one fire escape into some garbage.
Speaker 1: Did you really.
Speaker 5: Until I hid it? There was a garbage can hidden under a bunch of piles of garbage, and I jumped on it and it was filled with fish guts, scale, blood and fish and it poured Sherwin Williams on my whole body, and I reaped, and then we went out to eat, and I just was covered in fish guts and people complained and that's.
Speaker 4: The end of my story.
Speaker 1: I want to be on your side for that, but it was the garbage.
Speaker 4: I'm not on my side.
Speaker 1: You're not either.
Speaker 4: I'm on the garbage's side.
Speaker 1: Will you be on Chris's side?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like garbage stinks. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: You know what, the more I think of it, I'm kind of on my side. All I was doing was innocently leaping into it. Why did it have to get on me?
Speaker 4: I remember a guy trying to like leap frog over a mailbox and then just shattering his ankle. Oh, I shattered a bone in my foot like I was step dancing, So I'm no better.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's so much risk.
Speaker 4: Both incidents happened in.
Speaker 1: New York City, and was garbage involved in either of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We were drinking. We're drinking that garbage, garbage. We were being garbage.
Speaker 6: What is your favorite, Matt, what's your favorite thing to get drunk on?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I guess beer, because because you can pace yourself yep, you know, as opposed to like whiskey. I've hopefully learned to temper my my heart alcohol intake. Yeah, Like, for instance, I will never ever again for the rest of my life. Touch Yeah, your maister.
Speaker 5: That anything with sugar. I've been drinking tequila and I find it to be a nice clean was wonderful, no hangover. Stimulating beverage and beer makes me feel blowdy and sore.
Speaker 4: But I enjoy a beer.
Speaker 6: Quila makes me feel like I've gone insane though at night.
Speaker 5: Yes, there has been these episodes lately where I've you know, gotten violent or not violent, but to threaten and maybe late at night text people that I shouldn't and things like yeah, just to get that, just to feel alive again, you know, starts sparking. Yeah, but I know that when I waked up it's an anti inflammatory.
Speaker 4: I'm just sparking it up and I'm not getting my joints.
Speaker 6: I would. I really loved. We used to drink Jameson's and cream soda. Sure, I love james My friend. Do you remember Danny Spiles.
Speaker 5: I don't remember Danny Smiles.
Speaker 6: He was he was my good friend, and he made up a drink called the IBC Missile. So it was ib C cream soda and Jamison with the Jamison's like you do this, I.
Speaker 5: Like, I like pond based drink of when serge was a popular beverage, and then it disappeared. We'd mix it with gin just by accident, and that's that's a surge in general. And and so we thought that was such a great it was such a great idea that we drank it on purpose just so we could call it that. But none of us should have been having gin.
Speaker 1: And gin is like drinking hairspray gins.
Speaker 4: That's the worst hangover I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got like juniper bush poison in it, right, isn't that like? Actually tear away.
Speaker 4: My godfather, God rest his soul. Danny Cooney, he loved drinking gin. He was You tell me, he's like, I love the taste of gin.
Speaker 1: Did he have bright red cheeks?
Speaker 4: Yeah? God blea. I mean his dad he had a stomach cancer. What do you think he was from it from drinking bottles of gin?
Speaker 5: Yes, the Lord blessed him.
Speaker 4: But I mean he would come by sometimes and then he would go off the radar, like he would go off the raidar some. He was my father's roommate in Providence College, and my godfather and then my godmother Jeane Cooney, God rest her soul. She died of cancer. Then he remarries another woman that he meets in a cancer survivor group. Jean, My grandpa such an amazing such an amazing heart. He would you know, he would kind of he would take in homeless people, like he had a story about a homeless guy stealing his car.
Speaker 1: You know, like he would drink with them.
Speaker 4: No, he would try to get the back on their feet and he'd be like, come use my shower, come sleep on my pull up pouch, you know. And then the guy'd be like, can I use your car? And he's like sure, Wow, what do you think I get a call from the police in Florida or something, you know that Daniel COONEYO got your car. But I mean he would he would go off the radar. Sometimes my father would not hear from him for a long time. Then he would just show up. Sometimes he would show up, you know always, I bet. I mean, like what a storyteller?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh do you remember stories?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah. He once told a story about driving on the major deg in New York City with my mother and father when they were dating and hitting a dog and it dying and it was I was that's horrible, right, Yeah, My father told the story I remember hearing the story growing up, and I'm always thinking, God, that's so and like Danny Cooney wanted to pull over and take care of the dog, and my father being like, you can't. We're on a major highway. You can't pull over. You have to keep going. The dog's going. It was a terrible story. It was a life lesson when I heard him tell it at my wedding, like not during the ceremony, like everybody having drinks at the engagement party, as at matter of your dad told the wedding or no, no, no, I walked over. Danny Cooney happened to be telling the story to one of the bride'smaids.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, he was there, Okay.
Speaker 4: In tears hysterics. I hear the part about hitting the I'm cracking the fuck up. I couldn't believe. It was the funniest thing I ever heard in my life. It was incredible. I was, I was in awe. I was, I was in awe. So the talent.
Speaker 5: Certainly his his version of the story. There is detail, comedic details added.
Speaker 4: No, it was just the way he told the way you just told it. Yeah, well he's also cracking up hysterically Okay, he had an infectious you know laugh, Yeah, that squeaky wheels. Help, oh yeah, help. But and he meant it. That's great. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't like it when that's someone's thing and they don't necessarily mean it, like Jimmy Fallon, where they'd like are laughing while they're talking as a defense mechanism.
Speaker 1: Everything I do on this podcast, oh stop it.
Speaker 5: You're that's You're the most genuine person in the car.
Speaker 4: That's why you're felt.
Speaker 1: And that's why I get to drive is because I laughed the most.
Speaker 4: I'm glad your daed Matt.
Speaker 5: When I drive and then podcasts, it's very difficult for me to multitask. I've said that many times.
Speaker 4: I understand, but he's.
Speaker 1: Actually done it. He's he's done the sound for the podcast while driving.
Speaker 4: At the risk of everyone's life in the car.
Speaker 1: I ever seem like we're at risk though, Will I'm an excellent driver.
Speaker 4: She's not gonna lie to you. We just covered that. Thanks, you're right. I used to do this in high school because when I was I was captain on the swim team for two years, and then we didn't have a pool facility at the high school, so it was kind of older kids who had cars and whatnot will drive underclassmen. Yep, and uh maybe in the stud that I was, Karen, my car was filled with beautiful freshman girls. And then like some of them will complain. I'd be like, you're a banned from my car? Baby?
Speaker 1: Why would they complain.
Speaker 4: About the music. They wanted to listen to Kicks one oh six and I'm like, no, we're listening to wb are.
Speaker 6: You You're like this is gonna be all rush.
Speaker 4: That's right, No, We're gonna listen to Cake. Baby. I love freshman girls.
Speaker 1: They don't know they know what's good.
Speaker 4: They don't they really kick you know, sh if everybody had turned sitting in the front seat next to me, make everybody feel special. Yeah, yeah, No, It's one of those things, like a back I had no idea how good.
Speaker 1: I had it being the captain of swimter.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, yeah, you know, well, I.
Speaker 6: Mean that's like good. I always I really regret that I was so growing up. I had asthma, so I was never athletic, and I realized there were people that just got really good practice, like it exercise became just part of their day.
Speaker 4: That's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, or like.
Speaker 6: If you're on the swim team and you like, that's insane aerobic exercise for what three hours a day every day?
Speaker 4: Right? But what I also learned, and I'm really real, and it took me a long time to really believe it, is that no matter what the case is, everybody feels like shit.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: Everybody thinks that they're weird, that it's them, that it's like they're a pervert, that they're like every terrible thing that we think about ourselves is how everybody feels. And it's and it's it sounds so simple, it's too simple. It's one of those things where like it took years for it to dawn on me. Something I would say a lot like, oh, well everybody feels that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and be like, geez, everybody feels that I had We had a I can't remember.
Speaker 1: It was one Christmas or something.
Speaker 6: I was driving with my friend who was the most popular girl in our class.
Speaker 1: She was she always.
Speaker 6: Won like sweetheart, and she was our homecoming queen and every.
Speaker 5: Sweetheart contest she won. Sweetheart. That's a contest like.
Speaker 1: A Valentine's Day.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I got heart dance and all that, Oh I didn't.
Speaker 5: We didn't do that.
Speaker 6: We were talking about high school and this is you know, this was three years ago, and she goes, it's weird. I just never felt like I fit in And I was like, you were the thing everyone was trying to fit in like, and it was crazy. I was just It wasn't until that moment where I realized how that it really is completely true across the board.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I talked to people I went to high school with I, They're always like telling me stories about me being awesome in some way, and I was I hated high school. I thought everyone hated me. I was angry. I didn't want to be there. I was upset every day, I thought. And then they're like, oh, someone said I used to be able to run and do a front flip and keep running. I'm like, what, I never did that. Well he saw it. Fucking Libby saw the boy. I used to do it all the time. You just run and flip and you're filled with joy. Like really, I was writing I hate my life over and over on a piece of paper. So it's all perspective.
Speaker 1: It's all choice, it's what it is. It's totally choice or schizophrenic.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a choice to no, no, no, it's certainly not to believe it, to believe that you are well, but but to believe that it then that it's bad, right when when it's not. It's not bad to have emotions, you know, it's not bad to have feelings, and it's not bad to have ideas just now figuring that out, and not.
Speaker 1: Bad to make mistakes because it's not permanent.
Speaker 6: That's the thing that's It took me forever, I think, like ten years of therapy to realize that if I had feelings or thought things were a certain way, I just had to wait an hour or a day and it was it would be completely different.
Speaker 1: It's just bizarre.
Speaker 6: When things feel bad, it feels like it's going to be that way forever, no kidding, And that's not.
Speaker 5: That's why it's so disappointing when people kill themselves.
Speaker 4: I know, let me go there. I thought I'd take it there. Well, it's true, true, that's the lie of now that's happening to me right now. It's like, well, now is forever, but it's it's it's not always going to be like this won't be like now.
Speaker 5: Or are we near the grove. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, they stupid punch bug. I mean, I just I'll drop dead that the woman is Asian driving that I'll drop that of shock. Like New York City introduced me to racism, Los Angeles proved to me that stereotype for all.
Speaker 1: Wait, what did she do?
Speaker 4: She was clear she was ignoring signal. I mean some of these, some of these women out here are I mean abysmal drivers. It is, and it is. I I I refuse to believe it's all Asian women, but I am confident enough to say it on a podcast all times that it is far too many of them for it to be.
Speaker 5: I don't I do notice that when I see that, and then I see it again, I always go, oh no, don't, don't, don't reinforce that.
Speaker 4: How can it be possible it's not the same women each time.
Speaker 6: I mean, there are a lot of terrible drivers in the city that.
Speaker 1: No doubt terrible are.
Speaker 4: Maybe just speaks to the amount of the fact that Asian women are the dominant person on the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just a sheer numbers game. Maybe like population population, it's Asians and women. So there you go. Face in your face.
Speaker 1: We do what we want in the car on the road.
Speaker 4: And that's what a huge that's what a person from planet Earth looks like. An Asian woman. It's not you. We're the weirdos for sure. That I love weirdos. I like it.
Speaker 5: Oh goodness.
Speaker 1: An evening with William Dafoe at the Silent movie.
Speaker 5: I have a reoccurring dream of where I am meeting Willem Dafoe and I go to shake his hand and instead he pulls it to his face and bites off my fingers.
Speaker 4: Really, and then I noticed there's gills on his neck. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've had it a couple of times.
Speaker 1: That is the most amazing.
Speaker 5: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: Wow, will is part fish.
Speaker 4: He is. He's an aquatic looking.
Speaker 1: Man and he tried and he like he has. He bites your fingers off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just makes a scary face and he's got a big mount. Him and Tilda Swinton, I think are both. They are the sea creatures responsible for those tunnels you mentioned. They have gills, They can be underwater hours at a time.
Speaker 6: I would love to find out something that insane, just one thing like that in my lifetime, not.
Speaker 5: Like to find out that a famous actor is part fish.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I just want a little something before I go.
Speaker 6: That's like that where that's a big reveal and it's not like, oh, can you believe Kim Kardashian's big, old oiled ass.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can. It's the easiest thing in the world to believe. I want something that's super unbelievable to happen.
Speaker 4: I almost got into an argument with someone over how photoshopped it was. It's so very photos I'm like, it's the most photoshopped thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Were they trying to say it it wasn't photoshop.
Speaker 4: No, They were saying, God, yeah, it's photoshop, but like like lighting and stuff, and I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, it is a different human being. Yeah, photoshopped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her tiny little waist, the waist killed it out of here, the barbie.
Speaker 4: I don't get my period waste.
Speaker 5: I'm all hinges and no genitals or nipples.
Speaker 4: Waist.
Speaker 6: Somebody on Twitter, somebody said that it looked in the unretouched original photo it looked like her left butt she was whispering a secret to the right one.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like her weight was on the other hard.
Speaker 5: Oh you can see the untouched, not that I'm gonna look it up.
Speaker 4: I have other things to do.
Speaker 1: I have other things to What do you have to do?
Speaker 5: Oh, I have to go home and edit this podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. And you probably have laundry since you've been on the road for three weeks.
Speaker 5: I came back with clean laundry. How I did laundry on the road twice.
Speaker 4: That makes a bag lighter for three weeks.
Speaker 5: I brought just a backpack of clothes.
Speaker 4: And I washed them.
Speaker 1: What's she doing?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: And love looking at people.
Speaker 1: This woman has a half she's a kid, she's like eight. Yeah, she's got some high waisted jeans and a half shirt.
Speaker 5: I think it has everything to do with her being on the street.
Speaker 4: Karen having on the phone that's probably not even on.
Speaker 5: It's just filled with candy phones.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go trick some people.
Speaker 4: I used to love to take fruit juice that came in the group. Plastic grenades what they were plastic they shape shaped like grenades, and then it had like oh I.
Speaker 5: Remember, yeah, fake grape or fake orange that is just straight up goes straight to your ankles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the top. This is the best part, Karen, is the top. It would pull open like a saying Pellegrino, where like you had to so it's like you're pulling the pin on the grenade. Yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 5: I remember that too. That would what a good memory you have.
Speaker 4: It comes, it comes in handy.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I made a promote, like when I do an art for a living, I made what looked like it was a CD rom. I just thought would be kind of a cool way to have a book of art to show people. So I used jewel cases for CDs and then ordered. But this is before people were handing over, so people got all excited. But inside I'd ordered a bunch of those bubblegum CDs. Oh yeah, so it was just a piece of bubble gum.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: I thought that was maybe the best marketing thing I've ever done.
Speaker 1: I've never seen bubbles.
Speaker 5: It's like twenty years old. But I don't even do that stuff now. I can't even get a T shirt whipped up for our podcast. We're gonna, yeah, I'm working on it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna make T shirts and mugs. You'll get a free one.
Speaker 5: You're gonna get a free T shirt.
Speaker 1: Because you have been a guest?
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Should it be only guests and people who buy the T shirts or something kind of exclusive?
Speaker 4: Well, guess get it for free?
Speaker 1: I think exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's twelve ninety nine for guests.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Friends and family discounts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well know that when you pay that, other people civilians are paying fifteen.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's not a bad deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know what's fun is like when you guys start picking up a lot of steam, you should have on a stunt man and then when the interview's over, he should roll out of the still moving car.
Speaker 5: That's a great idea.
Speaker 4: The interview is leading up to that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so far, the only guest to do stunts was a Domian. He was opening and closing the door and getting out and in. Yeah, that was scary. It was very scary. It was typical Adomian. That scared me. Anytime screeching noises are behind me, you know what, it takes me back to Karen?
Speaker 4: No, you don't like cow chicken?
Speaker 5: Faithful light of what?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: I love sank chicken? Someone I love it?
Speaker 4: I thought maybe it was Jamie Lee. You didn't like it. We got Sangkow Chicken one night and then it was It's the best. Someone didn't like it, and I was like, this is the best. I'm confused by probably Joe. This is probably oh Joe, Oh Joe. If everybody liked it, you won't.
Speaker 6: When Matt and I worked together, he would make up songs that I think may have carried me through.
Speaker 1: They may have saved my life. And one of them was for our friend Joe de Roso, who I think you know right, I kind.
Speaker 6: Of stand up comic, and he always was complaining about everything all the time.
Speaker 1: And then when he would.
Speaker 6: Get real down and real upset, Matt would come in waving his arms back and forth, kind of like Bugs Bunny when Bugs Bunny would do the like hat and cane routine.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, And what was the song that you would sing to Joe.
Speaker 4: Matt, Oh Joe, I love it, Oh Joe, I love it, Oh Joe, I love it, Oh jo Jo. There was one version. It was a take off on something that a guy that wwe would sing.
Speaker 1: Oh really yes, but it's full circle.
Speaker 4: It was full circle.
Speaker 5: We've come full circle. I'm sorry we didn't take you to a high octane comedy show where you could perform and the faces off the patreot.
Speaker 4: No, let's go to a burger king. I mean, I don't want to subject the kids still listening to me, but I certainly Oh no, wait, no, Glennys is bringing me home dinner. Never minds.
Speaker 5: Didn't typhon never heard of such a dish. Wouldn't like it so much?
Speaker 1: Too much?
Speaker 5: Msgra read, i'd see I went rock and rolling.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it. What else would we talk about? Guys?
Speaker 5: Well, we are reaching the show's conclusion. I mean, time wise. I don't know why everything has to be based on time?
Speaker 6: Well, I think you know, I think people can take a certain amount of three fools in a car.
Speaker 5: Right, right, And you're like, okay, well, I'm glad you two were here around.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah about an hour?
Speaker 4: About an hour time for any show of substance or comedy is ninety minutes. Well, and people in America don't appreciate that, No, they really don't. Yeah, SNL gets away with it.
Speaker 1: Else can stand anything longer?
Speaker 4: Right? And then the Today's Show has then just mutated itself into this five hour just shit extra.
Speaker 5: Have again, I have a short attention stand nowadays too. I was like I saw that what too many cooks thing? And I was like seventeen minutes long and I'm like, oh, I can't sit through this, and then it melted my tits off. Yeah waiting, Oh you have home cooked meals coming?
Speaker 1: Tie food? What what food do you like to get?
Speaker 4: A burger king Matt h a double wapple cheese please. I do believe the mick rib has returned.
Speaker 5: It comes back every four.
Speaker 4: Truck month.
Speaker 1: And usually it falls right in line with Lobster Fest.
Speaker 5: Lobster Fest. Oh god, geez, biscuit. What's a biscuit? Bay canad And talks about Oh god, I ate that once and it was delicious the bit. Yeah, but it goes like like those fruit grenades. It goes straight to your big swelling ankles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not good for you.
Speaker 4: Let let me let me tell you something. Okay, okay, what are we on? Hollywood? Yeah, Highland and sun.
Speaker 1: Let's go down to sunset, grill and sunset.
Speaker 4: We're on Sunset. We're on Sunset. Yes, there's gonna be another burger can coming up. Oh yeah, down by you, because let me tell you something. I'm not gonna see my wife for hours and hours.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, we can do a drive through.
Speaker 5: Wait, she's coming from with the home cook meal, but it's not for another couple hours exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh, we need to get you some.
Speaker 1: Because she's at work.
Speaker 4: Fancy meal coming from the restaurant.
Speaker 5: How long have you been married.
Speaker 4: I've been married three years. Do you like it? Do you love it?
Speaker 5: You love it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Good? I sometimes think I should be married. Or do you have kids?
Speaker 4: No? Do you think you're gonna make some babies?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: I mean we talk about it, but it's also we talk about how it's not gonna happen anytime.
Speaker 5: Soon, right, right, Well, good, you're both on the same page.
Speaker 4: You gotta have money, yeah, babies?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, not that I don't actually know your financial situation. But in Los Angeles, doesn't it seem like you.
Speaker 1: Have to be kind of rich.
Speaker 4: It seems like you should.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like, because you're not going to send them to public school. Well, you have to be able to pay for private school.
Speaker 4: Here, I gotta I gotta pull some coin together to keep my ass alive. Yeah yeah, I mean it's fourteen bucks for dog food every few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get I get my dogs.
Speaker 6: The Rachel Ray kind and every time, I'm like, this is just the same ship as all the other stuff. You're just buying it because Rachel raised names on it and paying ten extra dollars. But the other stuff, I'm afraid is made of ashes or bones or whatever. You know, they always have like everyone guys dog food.
Speaker 4: Bones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're like, I think it was iems came out and they like, but they had a huge recall because it was all literally they make their dog food out of ash?
Speaker 5: Did they do? They also run a crematorium and then they got confused. I labeled a bag dog, but I didn't realize in that bag was actual dog remains. And god, there's a mix up in the food conveyor belt and that's awful.
Speaker 1: Now dogs are all cannibals.
Speaker 5: Well, I know that I can't afford to have a baby, because I quite I can myself. Only I eat baby food because I'm so poor.
Speaker 4: I'm living on baby food. There's some joy really yeah. And then there's a soul coughings. Yeah, that's amazing. And there's a soul coughing song. Uh I think what did they call it? The Long Island Lolita? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well he said by like Dody starts screaming that. At one point at the end of the song, he's like, I'm living on baby food. She's a liar. Everything she says is a lie.
Speaker 6: That story was so crazy because that was kind of pre tabloid TV and everything.
Speaker 4: That really set it off. It was really set it.
Speaker 1: Off for total insanity. Married Joe Buttafuo because up.
Speaker 4: Until that point it was I feel like it was always just celebrities and then wild local news stories were just kind of crime and whatnot. But then that that became the living soap opera. Yes, that that fucked the news industry forever. Yeah, especially New York. That and the Jongy right, and it felt like they were on top of each other. And then Nancy Kerrigan forget it. Now you've got a magnus open, the Young Gun, the Long Island Leader, the Young Gun, the Long Island Lolita. That's the new I think that's a song that it's definitely in the song. That's why I know.
Speaker 1: We are passing in Big Arby's.
Speaker 4: I had Arby's the other night and I'm not proud. It didn't give me doesn't terrible digestive?
Speaker 5: Doesn't there roast beef come out of a cocking gun.
Speaker 4: I hope, so, I hope that's what that was. I asked the young man to shoot the roast beef into my mouth from across the room, and then I closed my eyes and I assumed everything went to plan.
Speaker 5: Arch that pink stuff right into my face.
Speaker 4: Sir, shoot that roast beef gun into my face, young man, shoot it from across the room.
Speaker 1: We're not allowed to do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, missed this is on you missed it. And then it was I also remember at the time, like on Comedy Central they did like somebody did a song that they would play a lot about Joey Butterfu and like the background, it was like like the guy going like like what it transcended, and then it was like him singing the song about that that it transcended a news story. It became part of America.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: Like the Kennedy assassination that people try to say nine to eleven was my generation's Kennedy assassination. It was do you remember Joe and and and what was the girl's names? And Amy Fisher trying to shoot Mary Joe Butterfugo and the the head not trying to shoot shot her that is successfully successfully, but she wouldn't go down. That's right. And what was the famous joke? Do we all remember? Oh, knock knock, who's there? Bang? Bang, Amy Fisher, you're dead? Oh god, what a classic.
Speaker 1: We're about to go through the burger king drive through? Should we wrap it up?
Speaker 5: Let's wrap it up like we're gonna eat.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna eat it. I think people want to hear this experience. Oh unless they don't.
Speaker 1: Well, how long are over? Over?
Speaker 4: Are we so over? We are over? It's over. It's over.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a bad move, Cresscross.
Speaker 4: Let's just go through the drive through. You're gonna get emails people saying like what happened? What?
Speaker 6: I bet?
Speaker 5: We're going to order some food and then make some snarling noises.
Speaker 1: Would you have any shows come up you want to plug?
Speaker 4: I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Speaker 5: It's always it's a hard question. I never can't either. And then you're done and you're like, wait, I have one in twenty minutes. I uh go on iTunes give us a good rating, right, that's the thing you're supposed to say that, and thank you.
Speaker 1: We watch wrestling.
Speaker 4: We watch wrestling? Oh, of course, go to we watch Wrestling podcast dot com. That's what I'm gonna do. And also good iTunes. I have my stand up CD that I put out a few years ago, Come Clean, and you can listen to that. I want to hear that.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's a real plug. That's the plug we're looking for.
Speaker 5: Did you go to uh Julia W. Harrison who's helping them?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, all things comedy revitalizing.
Speaker 5: Our desire julyah and uh, this has been terrific and you've been listening to.
Speaker 4: Do you need a ride? D y n A r.
Speaker 1: I N you want to way back?
Speaker 2: Either want to be there, doesn't matter how much bagg this time? And daid urman alingay do want to send you off inside?
Speaker 1: Do you want to welcome you back home? Tell us all about every scared he was?
Speaker 3: It fine?
Speaker 1: Now porn?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do your need ride to ride? Do you need with Karen and Chriss