Speaker 1: This is Reggie Kelly kicking in with my boys Peanut and Roman on NFL Players Second Act Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in to the NFL Players Second Act Podcast. I'm Peanut to Himan and with me as always my guy rooman Rebbi Harper.
Speaker 3: He calls me, he calls me now because he had a taste of my my delicious rabbis and uh.
Speaker 4: By far, the best steak I've ever had in my life. I kid you not, but we'll get a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Let me let's thank all of our listeners and viewers out there and let them know where we are.
Speaker 4: Peanut.
Speaker 3: That is the iHeart Radio Studios right here in Atlanta, a town. Yeah, so we're in Atlanta this week. Uh, it's fun, it's going. We got a lot of different guests coming in. Let's let's jump right into our first one. All right, this first one, it's a goodie.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: This gentleman was a same around pick like the two of us. Forty second overall absolutely class ninety nine. Played thirteen seasons with the Bengals and the Falcons. After football, he got into the food business. Uh. He is the founder of Kivan Foods, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the show, mister Reggie Killer.
Speaker 5: And by the way, you got it right the first time. Most people butchers that butcher.
Speaker 2: So what's the.
Speaker 1: Worst Cayvan Cavan, whatever the case may be, but Kyvin Foods.
Speaker 5: You hit it right on the now the first, cool, cool good. That's a professional research.
Speaker 2: If you look at my notes, I have it like the way I have it. I have the phonetic form, so I wouldn't mess it up myself, somorr.
Speaker 5: I wanted to make.
Speaker 3: Sure because I didn't write it that way I would have had I would have the van park.
Speaker 4: But that's why Peanuts the real professional around here.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel naked up here. You you have notes, You have notes. I have nothing. So I'm hoping I can hope my weight here, hoping I can hold my own.
Speaker 4: Now, you're going to answer everything truthful. You you're an expert on yourself.
Speaker 5: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: Let's jump off into it though.
Speaker 3: How do you feel A recent accomplishment about yourself is that you were named in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Three and SEC football legend. How did that feel?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: It felt absolutely great. My athletic director Assissippi State gave me a call Zach Selma, who is doing it excellent?
Speaker 3: Yes, he's doing an outstanding john.
Speaker 1: You know, he has a great pedigree, come from a football family, and just a great guy overall. He knows the business inside and out. So he gave me a personal call to let me know that I had received such a great honor, and he told me he would be there to support me. If there's anything that I needed, he would definitely be there. And so he gave me the call, and quite honest with you, day surpassed all of my expectations.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: I was with some of the greats. Hall of Famer Patrick Willis. Yeah, was still Chase Kaufman, Andre Smith, along with so many other graatce like Shane Matthews as well. And man, they laid it out, I mean, first class everything. They put us up at the Hyatt Regency and they treated us like kings. And I had the opportunity to celebrate with my wife and with my son who's a football fanatic, so he saw somebody greats as well. Yeah, it was a great experience, a great weekend.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: Hey tell me this though.
Speaker 3: I got one more follow up is like, did you ever feel that you know when you get an honor, so so much further after you've done hanging it up, right, do you feel a little bit forgotten And all of a sudden you get that call and you're like.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm not forgotten about They do remember.
Speaker 5: Me, you know.
Speaker 1: Man, I actually felt extremely grateful because you know, I grew up next door to my grandmother, right, yeah, and my grandmother always told me anytime somebody does something good for you, be appreciative and say thank you absolutely regards if it's in the short term or the long term. So whenever I got that call, I was just like, man, I'm extremely grateful that they thought enough of me, they thought enough of my game, what I did on the football, feel my body at work, if you will, and they decided to select me to this great honor. So because of it, man, I didn't feel slighted as if, like, man, it took a lot own time. I was like, well, it came right on time, right, and I'm extremely the great.
Speaker 2: So it's an SEC legend, right or a football legend? Is that equivalent to like a Hall of Fame just in the SEC conference? Is that is that kind of what's the equivalent?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 5: Don't give us a spill onint Man.
Speaker 3: So I would say yes in the short terms, because the college football has its own Hall of Fame and to only you can only be elected to the College Football Hall of Fame if you're an ap All American. So for a lot of players who are not selected to be All American, but we're still truly great at their own school or within the SEC, it's another way to honor those guys. And I think the ads in the SEC do a great job of really trying to, you know, find two comb things of their own university so they can be represented there. And it's a great time for a place like Mississippi State to say, hey, we still got some greats out there have not been honored with these things.
Speaker 4: So shout out to Reggie for being that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting coming from Missippi State. We need some type of positive.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I know you're got to get on it.
Speaker 4: I just think they don't have enough yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's a key word. Yeah, Yeah, it's coming down the road.
Speaker 4: I agree. So I want to transition.
Speaker 2: You make it to the league in ninety nine, what was that welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 4: I know we all play, we're all second round picks.
Speaker 2: And you know, we all had that that time where we got to hit or something happened in the league and we were like, damn, this this is the league.
Speaker 4: I'm with the big boys. Now, yeah, what was that moment for you?
Speaker 1: But it happened in training camp, right, I'm not sure you guys remember Jesse the hammer? Yeah, yep, yeah, the hammer. Though let's less than the hammer, that's the opportitive word right now. And so during training camp, you know, I was I was known as a blocker, you know, that was my fortaeled guy that works extremely hard, a guy is going to play through the whistle, a guy that's extremely extremely physical. So that's what I brought to the table. And I'm quite sure that the veterans did their homework and they didn't want to be a statistic, right, especially from a rookie coming in. And so I was having excellent training camp my rookie year, getting out the folks until I met the Hammer. And the Hammer his reputation suits him, and so I was blocking the play and blocking down. I'm on a gap style play, blockdown on the hammer, and he absolutely laid me out. I had never in my life experienced that type of hit. That type of pain and that type of embarrassment to the point where all the veterans and welcome to the NFL, rook Welcome to the NFL. And that was what he was known for, physical play. But as I continued to practice and continue to play, you know in the NFL, I saw man, you know, I just can't rely on my skill set. I can't just rely on my physical attributes. I really have to study the game. I really have to do a good job of just pruning my skill set and understand, it's all about angles, it's all about leverage, it's all about footwork, it's all about having your hands in the right position. And if I do that, and I do that at a consistent level, then I can play on the same level as these guys. I be the one welcome in the rookies to the NFL and then letting the wood on those guys. So that was my welcome to the NFL moment. And guys like Chuck Smith, guys like Jesse Tuggle, they taught me how to be a pro, taught me how to get out the people. They should tell me, don't have a problem taking a man's heart, do not have a problem taking that heart, because if you do that early and often, it gives you a better chance to succeed on this level.
Speaker 2: Like that, do you think we've kind of lost a little bit of that, like trying to take a know the man's heart. Like when I went to Carolina TD Thomas Davis, he would say, we got to take them to a dark place they don't want to beat, a place they don't want to go. And I was like, hell, yeah, that's how I think. That's that's that peanut punch mentality right there. I'm trying to take you to a dark place.
Speaker 4: Did you just name drop? No? I did not thank you.
Speaker 1: I thank you, but it's okay, you can do that.
Speaker 2: I don't have a question, guys, y'all cracking them right now. I just I appreciate. I appreciate like.
Speaker 4: The old dror.
Speaker 5: Older mentality. I love that.
Speaker 4: What did you learn from that play? Too?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: What did you do wrong? If you could go back?
Speaker 1: I was out of control and I kind of alluded to it when I said my footwork was here, there, everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just thought you could just go here so I could just go hit him?
Speaker 5: All right, he's already jest.
Speaker 1: It was about five six five, I had like no leverage, you know, no leverage, out of control, no leverage in my hands. Was all over the place, and they showed me, Rook, you know when you come up against me, you better have your act together. Yeah, you got to have every facet of your game on point. And that's how it is when you plan all the greats in the NFL. After that episode, Terrence Mathis came up to me. You know, Terrence Mathis mister Atlanta falcon.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was one of the first NFL Riot receivers doing this time to catch over one hundred passes. And in today's game that that's that everybody's doing it. But back then that was something to be seen. And so Terrence came to me after I got knocked on my bud and he said, listen to me, ro if you do the little things right, the big things will fall. And listen, man, whatever that means. I just got knocked on my butt here, bro, I'm embarrassed. I'm really not thinking about them, thinking about retaliation. That's really what I was thinking about. Didn't know that what he was telling me. If you won't to be great and if you want to play on that type of a level, you're gonna have to do the little things right. So he knew I wasn't really listening to him at that point, but he came back with me with great patience. That's really all the great you know a veterans do who are trying to leave the game better than they found it. He said, Now listen to me, young phelly, if you do the little things right, the big things would automatically occur. Basically, well, he was telling me, in order for you to truly succeed on a high level, at a consistent level, those who really do it, they do it because they do the small things that those who don't succeed never do. Success is always been wrapped up and doing the small, minute, streightiest, tedious details that those who felt are either too lazy to do yeah or make excuses why they can't do it. And so he was telling me, don't be lazy, don't make excuses, do the work, and if you do that, you'll be on the other side of that for many, many years. And that really transformed my life as an NFL tight end. From that point on, I was on the Endcline ended up playing thirteen years Like you guys, played a long time in the NFL as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so two thousand and left. I don't want to go to two thousand and eleven.
Speaker 5: Twenty eleven, can't wait. That was a lockout, yere Uh huh, you were a rap.
Speaker 2: It didn't affect me that much. And we were talking about this earlier. Roome was affected by the lockout. And we'll let you answer that question in a little bit, thank you. My question is how was it being a part of those negotiations, you know, a part of the CBA and being in there, like negotiating with players, owner like everyone all involved, right, Like, we'll explain that process and what that was like.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say just based on our regulation, it was very intense. Yeah, extremely intense because one side that wanted one thing, meaning the owners, but we as players needed need to get some some of the things that we needed and done. And we weren't just working and negotiating on behalf of us current players. We were negotiating on behalf of the past players, the current players in the future players. We were actually looking out for the best interests of our guys. You know, anytime you negotiating the contract doesn't matter if it's an individual contract or you're negotiating for the sake of the overall good of everybody, the collective group. You want to make sure that you do what's in the best interest, not of self, but of others. And so it got pretty intense. But what we told all the players listen, we know that you guys want to be on the football field plan, we know that you want to make your salaries. And there were a lot of things that were thrown back and forth. Then when you guys not going to play, you guys are not going to get paid, and so so oftentimes when money is put in the picture, it could bring some fear. Oh yeah, right, it can add pressure to guys, especially the livelihoods in their pockets. But we told them, listen, we can't cave in. Listen, this is bigger than us. It's bigger than the current players. We have to do what's best for the future and also our guys who paid the way for us. And so you had, you know, a little bit of bickering here and there, a little bit of arguments here and there, but by the same token, we came together as one unit. Say, in regardless if we see things differently or not, we have to do what's best, and I'm extremely proud that we stuck to our guns. We saw it through and pretty much that I'm not mistaken, maybe eighty five I would say probably about ninety percent of the stuff that we negotiated, we got it pretty much exactly the way that we wanted. Yeah, we had to give a little bit and take a little bit. That's part of negotiations as well. But the thing that I would always say about that group of guys is that we did at the end of the day, we stuck together. We were not going to be denied, we were not going to be pushed up. We said, hey, we're going to do this thing. And I'm extremely pleased and proud of the guys who stepped up and had that type of leadership to do so. And there were some owners, gonna be honest with there were some owners who were on our side also. I'm not going to name the names, but there was some owners who reached out to us and said, you guys are doing it the right way, and we'll appreciate you guys doing it the right way, and that's anything that you guys need from us. You know, we'll do our best too to relate that information to make sure that we get it done.
Speaker 2: Now were their owners and were owners and players in one massive room or like one big room, and it was just like back and forth. Was it just the mediator kind of mediating between owners and players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was more so the mediator.
Speaker 1: And there were times where where some select guys did meet, you know, with Roger Goodell. They did meet with him and try to, you know, to get things hashed out because they really didn't know if we were really get the job done and get the deal done in time for the NFL season. But you know, guys felt some kind of way about it that I'll be honest with you. Yeah, guys felt some kind of way. And you know how it is with us. You know, if you feel a little bit disrespected, sometimes you handle it. Sometimes you handle it the wrong way. Sometimes you handle it the right way. But I think for the most part, even though we didn't agree with with the owners, we didn't agree with their stands, we knew our value, We knew our worth. And my mama always told me that there will always be someone who doesn't see your value. There will always be someone who doesn't see your worth. Never let that someone be you, and I think that we had that mentality. We know what we bring to the game of football as far as the economics, we know what we bring as well to the ownership, and we want to make sure that we're properly compensated. We want to make sure that we get the benefits that we all due, for the older guys, for the future guys, and also for the president guys as well.
Speaker 3: You mentioned a couple different things and about knowing your value and being disappointed and this, that and the other.
Speaker 4: I was one of those guys.
Speaker 3: So when the lockout happened, and maybe you can give me a little bit of advice to make me feel better.
Speaker 2: Now, he's so salty right about this before you walked in, and he was that dude.
Speaker 4: I'll explain why.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and nine I went, we won a Super Bowl, I went to my first Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: I was I was deemed to become a free agent. The lockout happened.
Speaker 3: I was not at six years I was at year four, so still very young and supposed to get my money. I could not get my money for two years because he.
Speaker 4: Was the one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it was just everybody if you were outside of this the NFL owners. We can agree or disagree whether the colludeed not to do anything or not, but smart on their part because they're business people. But the fact of the matter is, I know you guys were in there beating it down the table and all these other things, but for players like me, that was just like, what the crap is going on? I don't understand enough at this point in my career. I don't understand enough in life. Besides, I just want my money, absolutely, and if I don't get this deal now, that also kicks it down the road two more years when I do get my deal, and it's not about getting a deal, it's about getting that next deal after that, and they're getting back at the negotiating table. Could you maybe help soothe me in my pain on this whole breakdown of what went down and how you guys understood that the guys that were in the limbo or in the gray area, this whole collective group of guys, and how you guys probably felt bad for us, but we still had to do what you had to do.
Speaker 5: It's a greater good man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was sorry.
Speaker 5: I think being that hit it right on the head.
Speaker 1: We just we were looking at what is the greater good for the overall league, for all the players who had gone before us, to the current players, and also for the young guys who are going to come in the league that didn't know much about the business aspect as far as the money, the economics, and that whole deal. We wanted to make sure that we set in our mindset the standard. And I think one of the biggest things that I took away from it is that we want to be as one as a unit. We want to show the owners. We wanted to show the world, regardless if they criticized us or not, that we were going to stand together as a brotherhood, you know, functioning together to get this job done. I feel like so many times people may look at us as just athletes.
Speaker 5: Athletes.
Speaker 1: They're just an athlete, just an athlete. No, we're much bigger than been an athlete. Oftentimes tells people tell people that, you know, me playing football, that's just simply what I do. A man of God is who I am. My identity is not wrapped up in just football. I'm much more than that. I'm a businessman. I understand numbers, I understand the economics, I understand government, I understand politics the whole nine yards. I try to make sure that I'm properly educated and that so I can go into a room and have conversations on anything. I can go into a room and fight for what's right because I understand exactly the dynamics behind that complex situation. And so for me, you know, my whole thing was my teammates elected me, you know, as a rep to speak on their behalf. And if I was just speaking on my behalf, that's one thing. But when they elected me to speak on their half of the entire league in the future of the league, I had to do, in my opinion, what was best for the collective group, which mean if I didn't get what I wanted, that's fine as long as it served the greater cause. And so that was our mentality. And we knew that we was going to get some pushback, you know, there's always some pushback. But at the end of the day, I thought the negotiation went extremely well and we got a lot of things that we had set out to get.
Speaker 4: I would agree with you on the overall. I just need to get that off myself.
Speaker 3: For somebody that was in the room, so absolutely absolutely, because I was I was part of that group that like it was a few of us that like, man, we're supposed to get super broke off right now, and we did not, And so.
Speaker 5: It turned out really well for you.
Speaker 2: You know, I would have got that fifty. You are complaining a little bit, You're.
Speaker 3: Right, But I will say one of the best things that you guys did was look out for the past player. Before that CBA, they had not been looked after like you.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 3: Twenty eleven CBA set everything else differently on the trajectory of our former players and what we're able to now get absolutely as we are past players and becoming that that that pot. And so in twenty eleven we set the standard of always looking back and pulling forward and they will continue to do that going forward because of the standards that you guys set in that groom.
Speaker 4: So great job.
Speaker 5: Appreciate that, man, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a quick break. I want to talk post football, your second act. So you get out of you get out of football, and that transition you go from the grid iron to the cast stars.
Speaker 5: There it is there.
Speaker 2: It is this man, this man from the grid iron to the cast on. So how was that transition smooth?
Speaker 5: So for it?
Speaker 4: Because I know Roman I. We we talked about this all the time.
Speaker 1: And could you say that one more time? I just like the sound of that. Go ahead one more time, give it to me.
Speaker 2: From the gridiron to the cast. So professional, Yeah, you know football, it's something I did. It's not who I am, you know it is, I'm a professional. But no, seriously, like your your transition was like what I what I assume and you can maybe you can help me understand that it seemed like it was smooth. Why do you think that transition was so smooth once you got out of football? Because I know Roman I we've talked and kind of what this podcast is about. It's just about talking to you know, former players and how they get into their second act and how they transition. Some do it well, so struggle a little bit, some maybe so much. Yeah, there's no blueprint. It's all kind of custom to the player. So why was yours so smooth?
Speaker 1: You think, yeah, it was actually a smooth transition. But I learned that even before I became anrepreneur. Again my rookie year, Terrence Mathis took me under his wing right, and again I always shout out T Matt. And by the way, T Matt is the head coach football coach at Morehouse now, so I want everybody to support him. But but T Matt, you know, he would always give me nuggets, just nuggets. Man, you gotta leave the game.
Speaker 4: Bet.
Speaker 1: Then you found it, man, nuggets, how to be a professional on and off the field. And he told me, you know, you're gonna have to prepare for life after football one day, ruck. I know you may not want to hear that. You may think you're going to play forever, but you got to prepare, you know, for life after football. And you got to do the little things right. And if you do the little things right, of course, the big things will always follow you. So he gave me a blueprint to say, hey, play the game of football, Enjoy the game of football. Take what you can take from the game of football. But when it's over, then what that's when life really hits. And if you don't have a plan, you can plan to fail. What's the phrase? If you fail to plan, you might as well plan fail to fail. And he told me that in so many different instances, so that once I actually finished playing football, well, to be honest, with you, guys. I started to business while I was still an active player. During the off seasons, I would go and research, I mean research how to start a food company. I would research all the intricate details about the economics, about the marketing, about the sales, about the manufacturing, about supply chain, about R and D. What's R and D R and D research and development. So for every product you got to research, you got to develop it. It has to meet certain standard standards, certain protocols. You can't just put any kind of product on the market unless it's absolutely approved and it's up to standard. It's commercialized, so to speak. So you may go in with a recipe, but once you get commercialized, that a recipe is called a formula, right, And so I had to learn all of those intricate details about the food and beverage industry, to the point that once I finally retired, I had already started a business. My business was already running smoothly. And if you guys don't mind, I could tell you really what really was kind of like that moment where it's kind of like trailblazes, where my company just started to really catch on fire. And this is not everybody's story. Every entrepreneur has their own story. But shucks, I had only been in business for about three months, guys, three months. I knew hardly anything about the food industry itself for the stuff that I had researched, and so I said, well, this is what I'm gonna do. I'm going to start off extremely small. I'm an error on the side of caution. I'm gonna get me a probably a couple mom and pop retailers to take my products so that I can, you know, learn the business and if I kind of fail, well I can fail with from a small scale perspective. Well, within three months, I took the plunge on reaching out to Walmart, reaching out to Walmart stores and to see if they were, you know, scheduling me with me. And to my surprise, when I reached out to him a week later, they responded back wanting to schedule a meeting for me to present my product.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had one of those moments. I'm like, because if you understand the industry, that doesn't happen right to get an opportunity to meet with a Walmart or a krow Ger or Target stores, to meet with stores like that, only being in business for three months, They're not really going to give you the time of day because you don't have the numbers, you don't have the sales, and you probably don't have the experience. But anyway, this regional merchandise will reached back out to me and said, let's schedule this meeting. And so went in to meet with him. And when the meeting was over, he kind of leaned in, looked at me across the table and say, you know what, that's something about you. I'm gonna give you a shot. What he said, yeah, that's something about you. I'm gonna give you a shot. Here I am like saying, well. He then said there was something about my products, which we got good products. Product was on fire. He didn't say shucks, we like yourselves. And I had only did business with two or three mom and pop retailers, nothing on the scale of Walmart. He never said anything about sales, but he said that's something about you. What I failed to tell you, guys, was about a month before I had that meeting, I traveled to multiple Walmart stores and multiple states, and each Walmart merchandis is a lot different. They have different products. I was up and down every last hour in those Walmart stores, looking at my compared to brands, looking at their nutritional panels, their ingredient decks, they're packaging, they're pricing. I would buy those products, and before I got to the car good I was tasting the products, not using the spoon or fork or anything, no meants, just tasting the product just to get an analysis of what are they doing to get on the shelves and what do I have to do to compete against those particular brands. And I would walk around the stores and walk around the stores and get all all the information that I could, to the point where when I actually met with that merchandiser, he knew I couldn't have got that information just searching the Well, yeah, he knew I couldn't have gotten all of that information just by looking on the internet. He knew I had to actively travel from one state to the next, multiple stores within that state, because I was telling them stuff that was in one store that wasn't in the other store. I was telling them the workers, you know, the culture, all of that stuff. To the point he said, if he could do that in this short period of time, imagine what he can do in the long run, and so I learned a couple of things from that particular me. First thing, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. When you get your opportunity, you better kick the door in. The Next thing is people do business with people they like. It's not necessarily what you know, it's who you know. To finish that story off, when I left that meeting, he gave me a deal to do busines with Walmart stores. Only being in for three months, he reached out to two of his other buddies that are merchandises as well, and because he liked me and because I knew him, he reached out to him. And then they gave me an opportunity to put my products in their stores as well, simply because they knew him and simply because I knew him. And the rest is history. So you know, when you get your opportunities, you got to make sure that you're a likable person, especially in this type of business, and you got to make sure that you take full advantage of every opportunity that you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Regie, man, you give me a whole bunch of nuggets over your dat I'm just taking notes because like this stuff, I'm telling my kids. It's just it's just impressive, right, And everybody needs to hear that people do business with people they like. Yeah, that's a that's a gold mine. You don't get a second chance at a first impression. Everybody needs to hear that you got a good brand. Yeah, great brand. I want to know this, though, what made you get into the food business. That's the one thing you didn't tell it.
Speaker 5: I'm greedy.
Speaker 1: I'm greedy, man, Okay, you got all these products this, you have this game plan.
Speaker 3: First of all, the fact that you went to all these different walmarts. You're behind enemy lines and tasting everything, like, that's amazing grind. And they don't even know that. That guy was like, man, bump this. He knew that, he knew the thing. He's like, you bet on the jockey, not the whole. Absolutely, I'm not betting on the barbecue. This off whatever, I ain't worried. I bet on this guy. This guy is different. So what made you get into food though? Like, what what what made you go there? Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, I'm greedy, but but the truth be told, it wasn't really something that I want to do. Fellas during the off seasons, I used to throw free football camps for the kids in my hometown, Aberdeen, Mississippi. And I used to reward the kids who exemplified great academic excellence.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: I want the kids to understand when you do good, you can expect good. Hard work pays off. And so I used to throw some of these free football camps. I had my teammates come out and and and really speak life into the kids. But I didn't want the kids just to see athletes and think that okay, and only the only way that I could be a success is to be an athlete.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I brought in professionals. I brought in business people. I brought in blue collar workers who were successful, just to see kids seeing people who model success and how that looked. And the kids absolutely enjoyed the football camps. And after the camps were over, and for that matter, after any event, the Mississippi bro you're gonna have some good food.
Speaker 5: Based, Yeah, you're gonna have some eats for you.
Speaker 1: And so my family and my wife's family cooked for all the volunteers. And I tell you, my teammates couldn't stop raving about our family recipes. Some of them really had never been to the sip to Mississippi, and so they didn't really know how we get down, you know. And so they were raving and raving to the point where one of my teammates right talked my wife, Sheila, and said, you know, you guys really need to do something with these family recipes. And my wife came to me as as they normally do, and she gave me a little arm rub, and I said, oh boy, well we're going with this. And she said, you know, babe, I really think we need to take Nicole's idea and we need to run with it. We need to take our family recipes and start a business. And Chucks, man, that wasn't something I wanted to do. You know, I'll be honest with you. I wanted once I finally retired, I wanted to work either in the NFL front office. I took a trip up to New York, met with Ray Anderson, I met with Ron Hill at the time, Troy Vincent. I talked with them guys about the next step. I talked to coach Marvin Lewis. He said, man, rech we need you in a position of leadership like that, not necessarily being a coach, but being in the front office, and you have a lot to bring and give to the NFL. And so that's really where my head was at, honestly. And so but my wife she had other plans. And my wife, now we were high school sweethearts, so we had been together for a minute. I remember I had told her, you know, hey, you know when we get married, you know, we need to start our own business together. You know, we need to be entrepreneurs. You know, I was just trying to be slick, you know, cool with it, smoothie, get you in trouble every time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for getting nothing.
Speaker 5: It ain't forgot nothing.
Speaker 1: And so all these years, almost two decades later, she remembered it, and one, you know, one of the girls put that in their ear. I think you guys need to take your family recipes to market. It was just like a light bulb hit in. Regardless of whatever excuses I made, she wasn't gonna let me. No excuses was going to be good enough. And she said, no, I think we need to do this, and lo and behold, I told her, well, we're gonna do it now. You know, I'm gonna be all in. And she's always been detailed, she's always been gold you know, driven, and that's her reputation and I'm the same way. And so that's when, like when the off season hit, bro I'm talking about, I'm up to two and three o'clock at night, research research, research, research, and traveling, traveling, asking people and food and beverage industry about what do I need to do? How do I need to start this company? What should I do to be very competitive? Because you can have a great product, but if you don't know how to market it and you don't know the demographics to market it too, you're not going to succeed. So I learned all that information from those people, and they ended up helping us to start this bill. They didn't end up helping us, but they gave us some of the resources we need as far as information and some experience to help us start this business. And so what ended up happening this long story short, no, I'm telling it long No you good, long story. Short end up happening. We end up starting the food business. We named it after our kids. My daughter's name is Kyla, son's name is Cavin, combined the two to come up with Kaivin, and we desire to leave a lasting legacy a tangible legacy to our kids. And if they want to work the business, great, If they don't want to work the business, great, But we want to give them a head stared art in life so they can be their own bosses if they choose to do so. And so that's our plan, and that's really having foods got going, man.
Speaker 4: So what's one of the best things that you all saw? Like, what's what's the hottest item? They're all good, man, Okay, let me really like this.
Speaker 5: How many kids you got?
Speaker 4: I have four?
Speaker 5: Many kids?
Speaker 1: You got four? You got four kids. I kind of like in this food coming into like my babies. Okay, well, you know when people ask like what is your favorite?
Speaker 5: Your favorite kids?
Speaker 4: We both got favorites. There's no way I have a favorite. I have, you know, the youngest, you pops favorite? Everybody know that. Oh no, a second man, that's my dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is our trustee. This is my assistant right here. This is my assistant, Thomas Warner. That's my intern, y'all.
Speaker 4: That's the mild saucer.
Speaker 1: I'm a wimp man when it comes to to heat, like everybody else, y'all got y'all got a recipe?
Speaker 2: That's a family recipe. Black black people got the family sauce of recipes.
Speaker 1: But you know, you know it's it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and then boilai, you got yourself a masterpiece. So I grew up in a family of cooks, not chefs, and so you know, we have a little bit of this, a little bit of that, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, little taste of that's in boom.
Speaker 5: You got yourself a mass speech. So man, we got.
Speaker 1: Salsa, apple butters, salad dressings, barbecue, sauce, is seasoning, it's the whole nine.
Speaker 3: First of all, you guys have a huge influence in the state of North Carolina where I live. So I'm gonna make sure I go scoop up something that.
Speaker 5: Is actually thought I was playing. Thought I was playing. I thought.
Speaker 4: It is good. It is sweet.
Speaker 5: That's fact, it's good.
Speaker 4: It is good.
Speaker 5: What do y'all taste wrong?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What do you taste? What did you taste when you taste of that?
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of sweetness. But but it's like, uh, it's called a little tang to it. I think that's the apple in it. A little bit I'm not a I don't eat fruit, but I will eat fruit flavored or things with fruit flavor.
Speaker 5: You ain't fruit. I don't at.
Speaker 4: This about me.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: This is good though, and uh I saw that.
Speaker 3: As you guys are going down the list, I would love to also see this sweet potato barbecue sauce.
Speaker 5: Do we have any sweet potato barbecue sauce in the house.
Speaker 3: I've never even heard of this, but for me and my family being from Alabama, you give me some barbecue sauce and you got sweet potatoes, and I ain't got to separate them.
Speaker 4: I can just have them all at one time. Boy, I'm in I don't even know what that's It sounds crazy.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, listen. The man made a request, and we like to answer requests around here. Baby, he wanted sweet potato, and we gave him sweet potatoes. You got to open it up, man, Shake it up for him, Shake it up for him, shake it up.
Speaker 4: Take this up all the time. We do not.
Speaker 2: So I'm in Chicago, How can I do? I just gotta go to the website to order this? Or are you in the Midwest? Are y'all in the Midwes?
Speaker 1: Yes, we are so we service a number of retailers across the country. Let's first start, let's say from an e commerce platform. We service every Amazon Fresh fulfillment center nationwide. So for those who don't understand what Amazon Fresh, it's a platform under the Amazon brand, and it's just an online grocery store. So if you order off our products off of Amazon Fresh, they're delivered to you in grocery bags within two hours. So it's not like your tradition of Amazon where you got to order then a couple of days you receive your ordering boxes.
Speaker 4: I got you.
Speaker 1: So we service every Amazon Fresh fulfillment center nationwide. You can find our products on our website. We service select target retailers, food line retailers, and one of our greatest passions is we do a lot of food service stuff. So we service restaurants, hotels like the Height, Regency, Hilton, colleges, hospitals, the whole nine.
Speaker 4: You know, your story has been amazing, uh and clearly you're doing great things.
Speaker 1: I mean, really, you gotta hit that sweep talking about you got to hit it, I'm gonna hit that.
Speaker 5: You need to take it to the head too, broke it.
Speaker 4: Ever, I have never just.
Speaker 2: It's like, hold about it, like this is just normal behavior it is. It seems okay, I'll say it, it seems fat. But that's how you got to get the taste for it.
Speaker 3: I want to know this, though, if you have one, what has been your biggest challenge, like in this industry, like getting into it, what you've figured out since you've been in it. Tell me like one of the biggest challenges you've had to get over.
Speaker 1: That's an absolutely great question, and especially for for entrepreneurs and looking to start a business up.
Speaker 5: Quite often.
Speaker 1: I've done a few panel sessions me and Brian Scott with Atlanta Falcons sponsored by Truant Banking. We get an opportunity to sit in front of small business owners to talk to him about the importance of being detail, being intentional and having a great plan. And so I'm quite often, Oh, he's about.
Speaker 5: To take it. Go ahead, baby, for this to the head. Tap him up, man, tap them up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it too, do it a love one. I ain't never done this. So I got cheers, I got honey apple cheers, I got steep and Tao the barbecue sauce.
Speaker 4: We take it to the head.
Speaker 5: Cheers, there it is. M hm, talk to me.
Speaker 4: It's good. I wish I had some wings. That is good.
Speaker 1: Now you get the true flavor profile without it being masked with a meat or vegetables or anything. You gotta take it to the head.
Speaker 4: So you just got to take it to the head. That's the best way to do.
Speaker 1: So, like whenever I do whenever I do product samplings, whenever I have meets in front of executive chefs, a lot of times they don't want to taste the product when incident can junction with a meat, let's say, for instance, or chip. They want to see the actual true flavor profile of the product. They want to taste every ingredient if you will, and that particular product. So a lot of times we don't match it up with some chips or or meats until after they get the initial taste profiles of the product. So yeah, that's how we do it in the food industry. That's how we get down.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 2: I just figured you did that. I just figured that was just like alcohol or lime or something. You just take it to the head. Not barbecue.
Speaker 5: SA.
Speaker 1: First time food is over here, man, So what did you think about the sweet potato because a lot of people listen, this is what I normally get, right when you talk about a sweet potato barbecue stuff. We also have a sweet potato vinaigrette salad dressing. But my usual reaction is from people like sweet potatoes, come on, man, nah, or it's man. I love sweet potatoes, right, And so normally when somebody says I love.
Speaker 5: It, they're eager to taste it.
Speaker 1: And only when somebody says I don't like it, they're so pessimistic about it to the point where they really want to taste it just because they see they want to see what it really tastes like. And so either way, normally, when I present that product, I normally have people because you really can't taste the sweet potatoes too.
Speaker 3: That was what I was going to tell you, that I really didn't taste the sweet I thought it tastes like barbecue.
Speaker 5: Tastes like barbecue sauce.
Speaker 1: But you got all the healthy ingredients and all the nutrients not ingredients, but the nutrients and vitems that come from a sweet potato is actually in this sweet potato barbecue sauce. That's why moms really like it. That's why I really like it because I don't have any of that junk as far as synthetic ingredients, non gmo, gluten free, know how, fruit toast, corn syrup, and then when you add that to the flavor profile and the nutritional ingredients, you can't go wrong.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: The only way you can go wrong is if you don't have any skills on the grill. Yes, and that's for another conversation. The sweet potato, barbecue sauce and the ribbot.
Speaker 3: So I'll do the ribbis on the side. I do chicken wings really well too. I'll break out my green egg for you.
Speaker 5: You can't put the barbecue sauce on the ribes, so you can't put it on.
Speaker 4: I agree, I would. He just wants he just I just don't.
Speaker 5: I need to know.
Speaker 1: How do you prepare to ribes? I know we're getting off of course a little bit, but how do you prepare the rivites?
Speaker 5: Man? Talk to me.
Speaker 4: I got I got some ingredients.
Speaker 5: It's a secret.
Speaker 2: I'd have been to a lot of restaurants. I didn't had a lot of Michelin. And I'm gonna get wrong. I'm gonna give me his credit. I'm making my dog's credit. He it is the greatest steak I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 5: Give me, just give me the highlight, like what is makes it?
Speaker 2: Seasoning, the slavery, like each each bite was like damn, I taste that. And that morning I woke up, I just I just ate.
Speaker 4: This was.
Speaker 2: This is a couple of months ago. This is this is from the summertime. You can you can ask everybody else on on that. He cooked force and it was. He invited us to his cribby cut and he was like, yo, you know just what I learned.
Speaker 4: I learned how to do this that and whatever.
Speaker 2: And he's taking his fingers and he's sprinkling the spices and he's doing it. You know, got the herbs and everything and he's sprinkling everything, doing this, doing his thing. And he was likey you know, he cut one up and he gave it to all of you know, the cruise staff, the fellas. He gave us a piece of was like okay, ye that is good, you know whatever. And then it all came out and then we ate and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is nice.
Speaker 3: He won't go the next day and just ate by cold, just like that, just.
Speaker 4: Off the bone, cave man style. It was it was.
Speaker 2: It was that good. I give my props. I normally don't give his props. Hey, he did his thing on that he read. Got you dog next time.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: My question for you is you are a successful gentleman, business, football, college, life, You've done well Mount Rushmore. Who would be on your Mount Rushmore of helping you get to where you've gotten in life? And it could be anybody, any group of people. Four you get four, I would say my dad, Okay, my mother?
Speaker 4: Why Mom's and pops?
Speaker 1: Well, you know my dad and mom they were extremely instrumental in my life. And I would just say, honestly, when you think about just a community, I grew up in a tight knit community, let me say that. And so you never become a success by your own merit and by your own work, as a number of people who help prune you, help developed you, who've disciplined you, who've given you directions so as you can reach that trajectory in life, that incline in life that they already knew that you could reach. And so I had a really tight knit community that poured in me how to handle myself as a young man. You know, once they pushed me off into the world, and my parents were number one on that list.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My dad always taught me to pray like everything depends on God, which it does, and to work like everything depends on you. But faith without works is that. My dad was always instrumental, and hard work pays off side, even if you don't have the most talent like somebody else. What they say about hard work, it's Trump's talent all day, right, And so my dad was very instrumental, teaching me the fastest of working my butt off, trusting in the Lord, and if you do that, good things normally going to come your way. My mother, on the other hand, you know, my mother was tough too. Now, she was extremely tough. She's the one who told me about values. Always know your work, Always know your value because there's always going to be someone who doesn't see it. Never let it be you. But one of the greatest things she also told me is to have some standards, and the standards are never to be shifted. She told me that when I was a kid. So she said, it doesn't matter if you go off to the NFL, it doesn't matter if you're an entrepreneur. It doesn't matter how much money you make. You need to present yourself from how you dress, from how you talk, from how you act, from how you do business, from how you do your job. You need to handle yourself with some standards at all times. And she would finish with this, the standards are not to be shifted, Reggie. Even if our society shift their standards, yours should never shift because you're called to be a catalys a catalyst in this world and your calls to make a difference and the only way you're going to do that is if you're different. And so they keep me to that standard even to this day, check Man. I oftentimes would go take my mama out to go, you know, get something to eat, and before I enter her house, she's looking me up and down to make sure I'm dressed right. I mean she's looking at age you're wearing that you need to go back home and change. She's that type of mother. Everything has to be bam bam bam. And she believed that when you present yourself the right way, when you carry yourself the right way, you influence others to do the same. You know, we all love to dunstandard saying right there, that's true, that is true. In every fast So I think that you know, just like that Walmart merchandise, and when you present good, some good's gonna happen. When you sacrifice good, something good's gonna happen. When you do the small things right, something good's gonna happen. When you extremely detail, good things happen. But the thing is, are you willing to do that? Just like you guys. I'm extremely proud of you guys. A few months back, by a year or so ago, I went up flipped to New York and did a set with Nate Burlison and Gail King on CBS Deals so nice, and had an opportunity to talk with Nate, you know, before and then after that set. It was funny, man to see how Nate was on set about ten to fifteen minutes before you. Nobody else was. Yeah, we know the phrase in the NFL right to be on time is to be late, but to be but to be early, it's to be on time. Still carry that mantra, still carried that lifestyle. He was there early, he was there afterwards, you know, talking to him, and I'll just tell him how proud I am that he didn't let anybody put a box around him.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Quite often people tend to put boxes around us, thinking that we're only athletes. That's all that, that's all we can do. But man, we got so many gifts and talents. But we got to nurture them things. Man, we got to develop those things, and we got to lean on each other to sharpen those gifts and talents and take them and use them, use those talents, man, to be whatever the Good Lord has called us to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's two you give me, give me two more on your mount Rushmore. You got mom and dad.
Speaker 5: Oh, and I got to put my wife on that too, man. Real talk.
Speaker 1: When I first started dating my wife, I didn't know we were dating because I wouldn't dating material. To be quite honest with you, I had never kept a girlfriend for no more than two weeks. Yeah, at the time, I was just not that type of guy that wants to settled down with one woman and one girl, especially in high school.
Speaker 5: And you know how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so when I was when I was in high school, my wife and I we were like best of friends. I mean, she was like one of the fellas, and she can hang with the fellas. She was very articulate, all ab student, and even if the fellas would climb around, she could climb right around with us, so she could hold her own.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wasn't used to that coming from girls, you know, I was used to that. And so we were cool for for quite some time, for maybe a year or so, and then you know, the question came up, said, well, why don't we, you know, take this to the next level. And of course I didn't want to do it because I knew if I did it, I was probably gonna mess it up like I always do. But I said to myself, shucks, well, if I don't data, it's going to get awkward. If I do DATA and I messed things up, it's still going to be awkward. So I just took my chance and started dating. And that's the best thing I could have ever done. A great wife. She always encouraged me, always supports men, always there for me. I couldn't asked for a better partner. And the thing I like about is that we're best friends. We're friends before we started dating, we're friends before we are a married couple, and everything that we do, we do it as friends. And that's why when she came to me about this food business. She knew well listening, I know your man or your were you always when you say you're gonna do something, you always stick to it and do it.
Speaker 5: And so she.
Speaker 1: Knew by me telling that some years ago when we were friends, when we were dating, she knew that I would stick to it. So's she's a type of woman that's gonna always keep me accountable. She's a type of woman regardless if I'm six foot five and she's five foot she's still gonna stand her ground and say, hey, no, if you say you're gonna do it, do it all right. You need to make sure that you're different. No, I don't care what anybody says. You need to fight for your dreams, Regie. And so whenever you have that type of support, it makes it makes it easy to come home, It makes.
Speaker 5: It easy to to.
Speaker 1: Be able to confide and my wife. And so she's definitely definitely instrumental in my life. And I think the fourth one will be the fourth one in my life. I have a number of coaches. Man, I would hate to leave anybody out. Man, Can I just stay with three?
Speaker 5: Can I do three? I gotta do one.
Speaker 4: That's a standard. That's the standard one more it's a good call.
Speaker 1: That's a good call, I would say. The other person would be my grandmother, my grandmother. I grew up next door to her, and so grandmother used to always take me fishing. She used to always spoil me. Even times when my dad wanted to whip me. All I had to do is run next door to my grandmother and hide behind her, and she would tell my dad leave me alone, leave me alone. And that was old school because those old school grandmother they didn't play, especially about their grandkids. And so she would always love on me. I would always go to church with us well, she would always cook for me, and she was that quiet, sweet spirit that I needed in my life life, especially when I was a rowdy young teenager. I could always lean on my grandmother and laid my head in her lap, and she was always there for me. So my grandmother caught you passed some years ago, but she was the matriarch of our family and everything. She was somewhat the center of our family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and she.
Speaker 1: Left a great legacy behind. And before I passed, she had the opportunity to know that I did, you know, reached the goal of playing in the NFL and trying to be productive. So those for my dad, mom, my wife, and of course my granny.
Speaker 3: Oh great, man, that's a great one. Well, Reggie Man, we're gonna get you up out of here. Man, dude, I appreciate you blessing us with your time of the food. I mean, I'm taking the sweet potato barbers. We got some brain taking everything. We got some great one liners from you, some great nuggets, and even you even brought out the best.
Speaker 4: And Peanut Man from the grid Iron to the to.
Speaker 5: The cast down to the cast I like you.
Speaker 3: That like that all right, man, listen, thank all of our listeners and viewers out there wherever you listen to your podcasts at make sure you give us a review, a follow, a couple of comments, write review, do all those things five stars. We ain't asking me telling you five stars.
Speaker 4: Whether it's the.
Speaker 3: Apple, iHeartRadio, Apple podcasts, wherever you pick your pick up your podcast at YouTube channel check us out NFL YouTube chalnel. That's all that's new for us too. That's all hey man, we're advancing, we're growing up the things we all thank you.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: Tell a friend to tell a friend to do what Peanut tell a friend a man, Get us out of here.
Speaker 2: Hey, Peanut, mister Kelly, that's wrong. NFL Players Taken X podcast.
Speaker 4: We are y'all,