Speaker 1: Hig and everybody. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. The and you know it don't come ease. Addition, as the Bengals fall to one in three with a twenty seven to three loss at Tennessee. Coming up, you'll hear radio replays, locker room comments from players and coaches, and postgame analysis from Dave Lapham. Then, in this week's fun Facts conversation, we'll hear from a Bengals tight end who is on the boat in Tampa Bay when an ineviated Tom Brady tossed the Lombardi Trophy to the guy right next to him. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since overly dramatic Ryder Cup commentary. The Ryder Cup is one of my favorite sporting events, and I can only imagine how much pressure the golfers are under shoot. I get jittery standing over a two foot putt with a beer on the line with my buddies. Still, the overly dramatic commentary during the Ryder Cup cracks me up. The announcers use terms like courage and fortitude so often that you would think the golfers were rushing into burning buildings to save babies instead of trying to hit fairways and greens. So congrats to Europe on this year's win. Based on the broadcast, the golfers were roughly as heroic as the Apollo eleven astronauts. Now let's get the football and the radio replays from Sunday's loss at Tennessee. It is a sweltering Sunday afternoon here in Nashville, Tennessee. The temperature is expected to climb into the mid to upper eighties today. It's going to be much hotter than that on the field turf as the Bengals try to beat the heat and the Tennessee Titans, and it is time for the pigskin to fly here at Nissan Stadium. Second down and one for Cincinnati at the thirty seven yard line of Tennessee. Burrow stomps the right foot, catches a chest high snap, swings it out into the flat, caught by Chick great downfield blocking as he tight ropes the sideline and goes out of bounds at the twenty one of Tennessee. Here's money mack Evan McPherson looking to give Cincinnati an early lead. This will be a twenty one yard try. He hit from fifty seven in the pregame warmups. Brad Robbins, the rookie punter, will hold the placement the right footed kick and the line drive boot is good, giving Cincinnati a three to nothing lead, which is the shotgun snap. Five man rush and Burrow gets smashed to the ground. Oh, all five guys were getting close as Burrow gets sacked at the thirty nine yard line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just you talk about shrinking the pocket, I mean they just collapsed that pocket on Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: Tannehill back to throw, flings it deep for DeAndre Hawkins catches at the Bengals forty five and Cam Taylor Britt makes the stop at the Cincinnati thirty seven. He beat Cam Taylor Britt and beat him badly. First down and ten at the Bengals thirteen. After back to back big passing plays, here's a short pass Westbrook at Keene toward the pylon touchdown Tennessee on second and ten. It's a toss. Sweepy bubbles the ball. It's on the ground. He picks it up while he's running and it's going to be a big play for the Titans. Tannehill running to block for him, and Cincinnati has to chase down Taja Spears from behind. Dax Hill able to tackle him at the forty nine yard line. And that was a lucky play for the Titans. No other way to describe.
Speaker 2: It, no question. Was like he was dribbling the football, dribbling the oblong ball.
Speaker 1: Tannehill in the gun, Henry to his rights. Tannehill fakes it, No, he gives it to Derrick Henry, breaks through a couple of tackles, still running down to the ten hangling toward the pylon, touchdown Tennessee. Twenty nine yards for Derrick Henry as he was bouncing off Bengals like a pinball. Jeffrey Simmons is an eligible receiver. For what it's worth, the Pro Bowl defensive tackle stays out there offensively. Can't rule out the jump pass for the King. Derrick Henry Tannehill is going to be under center. I formation backfield. Now they shift Tannehill goes out wide to the right. Simmons moves to the right as a wing. They're going to direct snap it to Derrick Henry. Henry looking to pass throws caught touchdown Tennessee. Josh Wiley with his first NFL touchdown, burrow back to throw against the blitz pump packs gets stripped and then falls on the ball and then somebody jumps on top of him, and the Titans say they have it.
Speaker 2: They're saying, I think the official saying was down five contact. He was down. He's down by contact.
Speaker 1: And now they're changing the call and it is a Titans takeaway. For the second time this year, the Bengals failed to score a touchdown. They've scored the fewest of any team in the NFL, and they lose in Tennessee today by the final score of twenty seven to three. The Bengals have scored three offensive touchdowns in four games. The forty nine ers Christian McCaffrey scored four on Sunday after driving seventy two yards and kicking a field goal on their opening drive. The Bengals final seven possessions, not including a one playnel down at the end of the half, never even reached the titans thirty five yard line. Joe Burrow completed twenty out of thirty passes, but he can't extend plays due to his strained calf, and the bengals longest passing play went for seventeen yards. Here's Zach Taylor on his QB.
Speaker 3: He's playing, you know, he's playing through it, but there's still limitations he's got, certainly, and that's probably very difficult for him. But again, he's he's getting hit, he's having to move, and he's doing a great job getting up on the next point and responding. You don't feel, you know, sometimes quarterbacks can get rattled by that stuff. You don't feel that from him at all. You feel like the next play is gonna be successful even if he does take a hit. So again, I don't He's fighting through it and I'm proud of him for that.
Speaker 1: Burroughs passer rating after four games is sixty nine point one. He's averaging fewer than five yards per attempt. Frustration is growing.
Speaker 4: Whenever you're one and three, you're gonna be frustrated, You're gonna be angry, you're gonna be, you know, wanting to win games, and we haven't been and we're not gonna let anything like that, you know, come between us. That's how you end up having a bad season. Sod bad start about first quarter, so we got three more quarters of the year to get through and go from there.
Speaker 1: Jabar Chase had seven catches for seventy three yards, but t Higgins left the game early with a rib injury and was primarily replaced by Trenton Irwin. I talked to Trenton after the game. Tough team for the offense today, Trent, you guys went down the field on the opening drive, Dowt to the three, kicked the field goal, and they just couldn't get anything going after that. Describe just how you guys are feeling right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We got into better on offensive, we got into better all around. We got to sell ourselves love it for opportunities to make players, and we got a lot to improve, and that's that's why we're watched him so too.
Speaker 1: It feels like the offense is kind of operating in a box. Joe doesn't have his usual mobility for understandable reasons, and opponents know it. It doesn't feel like the margin of error is kind of small.
Speaker 6: We've been playing in the pocket, you know, and he can he can do anything there. I think that, you know, we just got to learn from our film there. I don't think there's a whole lot that I know exactly went wrong right now. We looked great in the first drive. I thought we were gonna be able to keep that up the whole game, and we just weren't. So I don't know exactly when went down that made so we couldn't, But I think our one of our goals was gonna be first down efficient. In that first drive, we were exactly that. I don't think we got any third downs except for that one on the three, So hopefully we can learn from what we did there and take it on to the next one. And it was a game on momentum and we just never really found any of it.
Speaker 1: Seemed like in the second quarter, when the game was still three to three, the Titans had that one good drive and that seemed to create the momentum you're talking about.
Speaker 6: They made some place, They had some dudes make some plays.
Speaker 7: They got after us there. They played physical.
Speaker 6: You know that that's a physical team, and you know we'd probably see them again later, but it's it's one of those games. We just got to let go learn from it and and just come out.
Speaker 1: Fight, appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Defensively, after shining on Monday Night and the win over the Rams, the Bengals allowed the Titans to score on five of their first six drives. Derrick Henry finished with one hundred and twenty two yards on twenty two carries, and Ryan Tannehill had a passer rating of ninety eight point eight. Here's chittabe Owuje on the play of the defense really shut him down in the first quarter. In the second quarter, they had that one good drive and it seemed to swing the momentum. Is that how it felt out there?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And then something different, you know where I think we're still fiting on our identity. You know, we know there were resilient bunch because we have the guys that have done it before.
Speaker 7: But every year is different. I think this year.
Speaker 8: It's like momentums playing a big factor in how we play. You know, one of the momentum swings.
Speaker 7: Obviously the direction, it's kind of hard for us to capture back.
Speaker 8: So yeah, you know, they had that drive, had a couple of e supposed to plays, and since that drive, it became, you know, pretty ugly. You know, our rhythm was all off, and you know it was embarrassment, to be honest, and you know, we're sorry with the fans that traveled that came and watched. But obviously, you know, it hurts even more for us as you know, brothers and teams have to go out there and play. But you know, we we're gonna use this as a stepping stone hopefully to get better to lock to lock more in sc We know we're we're close, bunch. We just gotta play this to the details, like back to the dog. You know, the dog mentality is just football, you know, like move all the distractions and just play.
Speaker 1: So yeah, got shut down Garret Kennery each of the last two years he wound up having good numbers today. So much of it in his case is if they have the lead, they're gonna feed it to him and feed it to him and sooner or later he's gonna wear you down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, he had a good game.
Speaker 8: Obviously, It's one of the top guys in the league at his position and also one of the guys we're focused on the most coming into this week.
Speaker 7: You know, unfortunate that he was able to have a great game like he did.
Speaker 8: You know, we have the guys that could stop him, but he and you know, we're gonna go back and look at the film and just look at the details. Abous I can speak for me myself, and you know, just fitting Quicker off of cracks, you know, when the receiver cracks down on the safeties or niklas, you know, fitting Quicker and doing stuff like that, I feel like we could do a great job because you know, a lot of the team are trying to get to the perimeter. We're trying to get to the perimeter on these runs, so we have to have an edge to the defense. So I think we as a cornerback group, we've been working on that and we're gonna continue to work on that and hopefully, you know, everybody kind of everybody plays a part in it, and we'll figure out how to you know, start to limit those runs.
Speaker 1: Your disappointment is palpable. I'm guessing that after the Monday night win, you guys probably felt, all right, we've got one. Now, let's start stacking wins.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But, like like everybody always says, the NFL is never easy. You know, the other team has to chip on my shoulder as well.
Speaker 7: They came in here more hungry.
Speaker 8: They come up with a big loss last week, and I was talking to some of the players over the game. They said they were on their beat all week. So they responded, now start trying to respond, you know. Moving forward to Arizona, you know, we have to get on each other and make sure that everybody's on details and just feed off each other's energy. You know, this is also an early start game, you know, twelve pm, you know versus Monday night when it's home game.
Speaker 7: All that energy.
Speaker 8: We have to find a way to find our own juice and our own energy as well. So these are things we're gonna be working on, you know, throughout the season, and hopefully now that we identified it, kind of nip it in the bud and use it to our certain.
Speaker 1: Joe Burr's given everything he's got, but he's not running around like he normally would. It's limiting his superpowers, so to speak. Do you sense that it's you know, difficult for the offense right now without Joe being able to do some of the things he would normally do.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I don't wanna talk anything really about that offense.
Speaker 8: You know, I know that, you know, you know the dogs that we have over there, they've been together for three four years now and have been very consistent for us. And I know the rhythm is gonna be found. You know, there's no doubt about that. You know, that's my quarterback.
Speaker 7: It was with my sheivers, tight ends, running backs, a line like. I believe in all of that.
Speaker 8: So I just think that you know, the time will things will come to how they're supposed to go, and we know the talent we have on that side. Really just focus on the leaf can focus on on defense.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you brother.
Speaker 1: On their final three drives of the second quarter, the Titans had six plays of twenty or more yards and outscored the Bengals twenty one nothing in the quarter. That's where Dave Lapham started his postgame conversation with head coach Zach Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't see that coming. You know, I thought we thought we'd respond better, play better, coach better. So really you can point the finger at each individual person. There's certainly plenty things I could have done better to get the team ready to put us in a better position to win. And now we just gotta suck it up and go on the road in Arizona and find a way to win.
Speaker 2: When it starts snowballing like that, I mean, how hard is that to try to stop that snowball from coming down the side of the mountain like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you still believe that you can get in this thing, and even down seventeen at halftime, We've been in that position before, We've overcome that before. There was a lot of belief in the locker room that we could do that. You know, he had an opportunity starting the second half. You got him in third and seventeen and got him off the field, and then they got called for we got called for penalty.
Speaker 2: So that's tough.
Speaker 3: Extends it puts points on the board, took eleven minutes off the clock, and then offense, didn't you know, we resmonded with the turnover and so you know, just just challenging. They really did a great job at the time of possession. They did a good job playing physical and keep enough off balance, and we just didn't respond the right way.
Speaker 2: Three of the four first down third down conversions that they got would do to penalty. And it's not like it's not like there's a ton of penalties. He came into the game, you were tied for seventh feust and penalties, third and penalty yards. But it's just, man, there's such a painful penalty when they happen. It takes away a turnover, takes away a sack, takes away a big play.
Speaker 3: It is it's tough, especially when they come on third down. And and that's that's disappointing. You know, we had one on special teams that really flipped the field. I really thought the guy that got called for the penalty US was the guy that was going to be the receptor of the penalty, you know, And and all of a sudden it went the other way. So instead of the ball being on the five, the balls on the forty five. And and that's that's a challeng lenging part there in the second half. That gave them auto momentum as well.
Speaker 2: I couldn't figure that out because they declared that it was an illegal block by somebody covering the punt. Now why would he be delivering a block? I mean, I don't understand how that whole thing unfolded.
Speaker 3: If you find out, let me know.
Speaker 2: So you didn't get a great explanation either. No interesting, So you've got to, like you said, you travel to Arizona. Did the short week have any bearing on it? You feel like the guys were rested and ready to go. You really took care of him this week big time.
Speaker 3: We've done a good job playing on short weeks. We still went pads on Thursday and knowing it was going to be a physical game, and so again I didn't see any warning signs during the week. We have to coach better.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 3: I've got to do a better job putting us in position to score points. So that's a big starting point I think with this team, and then each guy's got to fix the things that we can control. We've got to be better on third down on both sides of the ball, and we've got to be more disciplined when it comes to penalties.
Speaker 2: How challenging is it you know, watching Joe in the pocket, I mean, he's close to one hundred percent from when I see but you know, when he has to try to do something out of the pocket, pick a percentage. I don't know what that percentage might be, but it's not you know, he'll say it's not one hundred percent. How challenging is that To try to gain plan around that.
Speaker 3: You can't look at as a challenge. You got to find ways to put the offense in great position to go to score points. And scoring three points in the first half is not good enough, which we've done several times. Scoring three points in the game is not good enough. I'm the poy caller, I'm the head coach. I've got to do a better job of finding ways till I was to find some rhythm.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for the radio guys, recapla, we have just emerged from the Bengals locker room. Disappointment and frustration is palpable as you might expect. I think coming off the Monday night went over the Rams, they thought they had everything going in the right direction. But if the offense continues to be as limited as it's been, it's going to be hard to win games.
Speaker 2: It really is. Dan. You know, you get a quarterback that's medically limited. He's gotten it out, but like we talked about before the game, in the pocket he's probably close to one hundred percent, But anytime he has to move in the pocket or get out of the pocket, pick a percentage, he's just not there. And the other factor is that defenses know that if he tries to goose it down the football field, it's bothershlome to him. And so their short intermediate passing game is pretty much the extent of their offense, and teams are playing accordingly. I mean, it's it's tough dynamic to game plan around a little bit, but you know, they feel like they can do much better than they did obviously. I mean the second quarter of this foot it was just incredible. How you know, the domination. I mean, when you when your defense is struggling, the thing you need to do offensively stay on the field. They went oh for four and third down and there was no support there. I mean, the complimentary football was non existent today, There's no question about it. Offense couldn't get anything done. Defense was struggling, was trying to, you know, ask for a life preserver, and the offense didn't have anything to throw them.
Speaker 1: It's a dream come true for opposing defensive coordinators because they know Joe is not going to extend plays. He's not going to scramble left and right if what he's looking to do out of the pocket isn't there. The defense has a gigantic advantage.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you know that. You know you can't get behind by two scores, three scores, four scores. If that's the case, you just can't do it. It's impossible. I mean, the only way you're going to win football games is to stay stay in the football game and make it a you know, a contested battle, and have a running game that will support that short intermediate passing game. But it is it's hard. I mean you're playing in a box. Basically, you're playing in a closet. It's like you're playing in the red zone or the low red zone, you know, a lot of times. Then teams get a two or more score lead and they play real soft, you know, zone coverages and will let you take the underneath stuff and then they'll rally up and make tackles. It'll pad your numbers, but it's not going to win you football games.
Speaker 1: This is a passing team, and the NFL is a passing league. There's nobody out there that's successful and runs it forty times a game. But Joe Mixon has been pretty efficient this year. He averaged four point eight year carries in this game. Do they have to run it more? I don't think they're going to start giving it to them twenty nine times, but it wound up being fourteen today. Some of that's due to the fact that they were behind.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, I mean, I think, honestly, from a game planning standpoint, when I watch a lot of the passing attack, it's an extension on the running game. It's the outside running game. I mean, they're they're running screens, they're running swing passes, they're they're doing a lot of you know, stuff that is almost an extension of of of a running game as such. So I think in their mind they'll probably think, like, you know, we're we're kind of covering it that way. That's our that's our outside, our outside running game. I think when they probably do stats at the end of the game, they'll take those passing yards and kind of you know, slice them and dice them between. This is really a lot of these are just an extension of what we're trying to get done on the permanent or in our running game and that and that's a problem because I mean, at some point you have to challenge the defense. You have to stretch it. You have to you know, at least make them think that there's a chance you're going to go over the top.
Speaker 7: One.
Speaker 1: The defense really won them the game on Monday night against the Rams. The offense did not, but the defense started in this game. Gave up a lot of big plays, some really costly penalties. They could not make up for the offensive struggles.
Speaker 2: Teen plays of fifteen yards or more in the first three football games. Tonight, they gave up seven of them in one quarter in the second quarter, seven plays of fifteen yards or more. I mean, that's that's that's getting gashed. There's no no two ways about it. And I know, you know, sometimes it's hard to hard to stay motivated, hard to keep saw on wood. You know, it's like you're banging your head up against the wall. You're not getting the support that you feel like you should be getting or need to get. It can it can get tough that way, But that's the way it's going to be. I mean, that's the way it's gonna looks like it's going to be for a while. You just you just don't know how long it is going to be that way. So yeah, but they they obviously it's just it's snowballed. Snowballed on them in the second quarter and the only reason that it didn't continue is halftime game.
Speaker 1: There are two games away from the by a road game against Arizona, a home game against Seattle. Is it the strategy basically, see if you can cut out a couple of wins like you did against the Rams, and hope and pray that Burrow's calf makes, you know, dramatic improvement during the bye.
Speaker 2: Is that it? I guess that's it sounds like that's it. I will say that the opponent that's spanked the Bengals twenty seven to three. The Tennessee Titans lost in Cleveland by the exact same score the week before, and they reversed it. They made restitution, they did something differently, but they came home. They were on the road and came home. The Bengals get spanked on the road and they're still on the road going to Arizona. It does make a difference, there's no question about it. But there's no substitute for getting back and sticking your nose on the grindstone, because that's what you have to do. I mean, you can talk about things all you want, talks cheap. You got to go to work. You know, there's no answers that you can come up with just by conversing. You to go out and put in the time, put in the snaps, put in the reps, the time on task, and everybody just has to get better. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: How hard would it be to pass block right now with a compromise Joe Burrow frequently playing from behind, it.
Speaker 2: Would be difficult. But the thing that the advantage or the one thing that is in your favor, they're getting the rid of the ball. So quickly. I mean it's it's almost like a three step drop almost every time he throws the football because he's in the shotgun and he's getting it out. But you know, if you do a decent enough job when I'm just rushing four men, everybody's bringing pressure now too, and uh, you know they're bringing a lot of times, maybe one more than you can block, and that becomes an issue. So there's there are solutions. But but the thing number one thing you have to do is on a snap by snap basis execute better. I mean, they weren't in third and miserable situations and they went oher for six. You know that that that puts you in a tough in a tough spot. Offensively, in your defense is thinking, man, you know, give me a conversion here, stay on the field. So they have a lot of work to do, no doubt.
Speaker 1: A lot of people build last Monday's games must win. We're going to hear those words again heading into Arizona this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the one in three start. You look back again, how many one and three teams make up Lass. It's like sixteen seventeen percent something like that end up making the playoffs. So now you've you know, you've you've dug a deeper hole, and it's against another AFC team. Your only winners against an NFC team, You're going to play another NFC team. So you know, I mean you get too and all against the NFC. Whoopee, you know, I mean big nothing really much to celebrate there. You got to start winning some division game and you have to start winning some conference games if you want to dig yourself out of the hole, because other than that, it's like when you win these NFC games, you're shoveling dirt out. It's not all going out all the way, and a bunch of it's trickling back in that hole continues to be a problem up.
Speaker 1: Next road game at Arizona. The Cardinals are also one in three after losing at San Francisco, but the Cardinals did beat Dallas by twelve points in their last home game. Elsewhere in the AFC North, the Ravens beat the Browns in Cleveland and the Steelers lost at Houston, so Baltimore is three and one, including two road winds. In the division, the Browns and Steelers are two and two, and the Bengals are one and three. Now time for this week's fun Fact segment where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with tight End Tanner Hudson from Big Sandy, Tennessee, a town of about five hundred people I think two hours west of Nashville. Describe Big Sandy and what you did for fun growing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Big Sandy is a pretty small town. We used to go to Spillway, go down and fish with my dad and my grandpa. We would friends would come over. We'd go in the backyard, grab the twenty two's and you know, just go out and see what we could find. A lot of a lot of basketball in the backyard with my sister as well, you know, beating up on her every once in a while. But yeah, just just a lot of things outside. Really. You know, I played my fair share of Xbox.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna lie, but uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we we like to get out and do some things outdoors.
Speaker 1: You attended Camden Central High School, where I've read that you had to be talked into playing high school football and would only do so if you could be the kicker and punter. Was that in fact the case?
Speaker 5: That is that is true?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: Growing up the junior high and the high school kind of played. Uh, they were really close as far as practice was. And looking over at the high school every day, seeing those bigger guys, I wasn't always six for you know, so looking over seeing those bigger guys, I was like, I don't I don't know if football is for me. But then my freshman year, my buddy Cody Hassel, he eventually talked to me into coming out and I did the kicking for them, and it was fun to be out there. And then eventually, you know, I grew grew a little bit and worked my way into actually wanting to play a little bit more, and then ended up playing quarterback my junior starting at quarterback my junior year. So from there on it was it came pretty.
Speaker 1: Fun, so high school quarterback, and you also averaged eighteen points and twelve rebounds in hoops. But I'm guessing there weren't a ton of college scouts and coaches that came to your small high school. Did you have many or any college opportunities.
Speaker 5: I remember the Memphis Tigers came out and I did like a small type of workout for them. One of the coaches came out and just watched me throw, but ended up my senior year last ready my spleen, I think the third game, and so that kind of crushed any scholarship hopes.
Speaker 1: That I had.
Speaker 5: Still had a few opportunities walk on wise, but now as far as scouting and you know, teams offering scholarships, it was it was non existent.
Speaker 1: For visiting the Tanner Hudson. So you walked on at Memphis as a quarterback, and after redshirting there for a year, you transferred to Southern Arkansas the Mule Writers, where you excelled as a tight end and also punted. When did it start to seem possible that you could be an NFL player?
Speaker 5: Probably after my junior year. I had had a really good junior year, and even even then, honestly, I knew that there was a whole two divisions, you know, above me with D one Double A and then D one, So I knew the possibility of making it to the NFL with slim, but I would I'd really like to say my offensive coordinator, Landon Kepple, he helps me out a lot, just kind of building that confidence and showing me that I could play in league and being able to go out and play my senior year. With that confidence, I think helped me a lot along with I had a great quarterback in Barrett Runner, and then a lot of very very skilled receivers around me as well.
Speaker 1: You weren't drafted, but you signed originally with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in twenty eighteen, and in twenty twenty you were on a Super Bowl team. You're a tight end. That team included Gronk, Rob Gronkowski maybe the best tight end of all time. How would you describe Gronk on and off the field.
Speaker 5: The same exact person? You know, He's just he's a very fun, going, outgoing guy, goofy as ever, always wants to have a good time. He knew when it was signed to be serious, and he knew when he had to get his job done.
Speaker 7: But he's just what you see.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is what you get like, he's goofy. He's fun to be around. Just a great all around, all around.
Speaker 1: Go Gronk caught two touchdown passes and that Super Bowl went over the Chiefs. You almost caught one as well. In the third quarter, Tom Brady threw a nineteen yard pass into the end zone for you. That was just a tiny bit beyond your grasp. What do you remember about that moment.
Speaker 5: We ran So we ran the same play three times and it had a can on it, and we canned at both times, and the third time we ended up running the pass off of it, and uh yeah, I just remember being like, oh wow, I'm kind of open. Let's let's make this happen. And then you know, it's just a little bit outside of our reach. I could have been a little further more towards the back pol On maybe had a better chance at it. But it was a cool experience. I'm gonna of shout out to barn Left, which we're going to do.
Speaker 1: That chance, the offensive coordinator for the Bucks at the time. So Tampa Bay celebrated that Super Bowl victory with a victory boat parade and we all remember the video Tom Brady famously tossing the Lombardi Trophy from one boat to another. Did you have a view and what did you think of that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was actually setting repside cam Braid who caught it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so it was it was crazy in the moment, but yeah, just to be a part of something like that was so special. Be a part of that that.
Speaker 5: Memory with those guys being on that boat getting to celebrate that moment and then yeah, Cam catching it and holding it above his head like that was That was a memory that I'll cherish and remember forever.
Speaker 1: Cam Braid's had a lot of catches. That was the all time best, I'm guessing. Describe your Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 2: I think it's indescribable.
Speaker 5: It's just big and beautiful and just perfect in all aspects. The way you open it, and it has all the details inside with the stadium where we run out the scores to all the playoff games. Just the amount of you know, diamonds that are in it corresponding with things. Yeah, it's something that's very very special.
Speaker 1: I hope your Bengals ring that you eventually get is even better. You joined the Bengals in December of last year after spending most of the year with the New York Giants. Now, as we said off the top, your hometown has about five hundred people. Now you're in a city or close to a city with eight point five mil. What was that experience like?
Speaker 2: It was a lot, not a lot.
Speaker 5: We were actually in New Jersey, so it was fun to have some of my friends come down and we would go explore the city, you know, get a taste of that. But you know, me and my wife are not not big city folks. So we hungred down in the room a lot, just a lot of hanging out between us. But we would we would get out and see this. We'd like to get out and see the city, find some cool places to eat. So it was we talked about it as it was a really great experience, but something we like to just have the experience and not really live there full time.
Speaker 1: As they say, nice to visit, not a place you want to live necessarily. So when you joined the Bengals last year, I thought Tyler Eifert was making a comeback. The resemblance is uncanny. Have people in Cincinnati legitimately mistaken you for Tyler Eifford.
Speaker 5: I haven't gotten to anybody outside the facility mistaken me. Granted I don't go outside much, but no, I haven't. I haven't gotten anybody outside. Darren he when I first came around, started coming around, he noticed the resemblance and mentioned it to me. So then I looked him up and I was even shocked at how similar we do look.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it is two tight ends that look very very much alike. All right, a few wild card topics. Now for Tanner Hudson. Who is the greatest athlete of all time in any sport?
Speaker 5: Lebron James. I'm a big Lebron fan. I understand, you know, old George me and my but he's go back and forth with the whole Joan Lebron debate. But yeah, I think he's one of the probably the greatest. And then Tom Brady is right there. Tom Brady just brings a whole whole different aspect to a team, which I assume Lebron does the same thing. It's just Tom Brady just brings that you don't want to mess up around him, You don't want to be that guy. He just elevates your team to a whole another level.
Speaker 1: What do you like to spend your money on golf?
Speaker 5: Probably? I mean, yeah, golf, hunting every once in a while, do a couple of things with that, but uh yeah, we just recently bought a farm, so that's where a lot of it will be going.
Speaker 1: Very nice. Do you have a bucket list activity that you would like to do in an off season?
Speaker 5: I would say any kind of trip to Montana, Wyoming. I think somewhere in Canada like a nice It wouldn't be off season doesn't really go with my hunting seasons that I like, so, but anything to do with just traveling getting to see those those areas. My brother went elk hunting in Montana, or he went elk hunting in Wyoming and just talked about how beautiful it was there, and so I think visiting those places is something that I look forward to.
Speaker 1: Final question for Tanner Hudson, if you could meet anybody in history, actor, athlete, statesman, whoever it might be. Who would that person be, So.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be anybody famous. I would like to meet my wife's dad. Yeah, he passed away when she was young. And to be able to hear from him, and you know, I get stories from her mom, and you know those are fun to hear, but to be to hear the stories that she tells me about him from him, I think would be something really special.
Speaker 1: That is a great heartfelt answer, Tanner Hudson. I appreciate your time. Best of luck this season. Percent that's going to do it for this episode of The Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Core. Proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast.