Speaker 1: Once I got the role, I did chemistry reads with all the Owens, all the Malaikahs. So I was on the phone with these people a lot. Okay, I don't even remember at what point I had the job. I was just like, I hope there's a lab at the end of this.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Sinclair Daniel and I play Nella and the other Black Girls streaming on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, and welcome back to Off the Beat. I have got some pep in my step today, of course. I'm your host, Brian Baumgartner and Ding Dong. The Witch is dead. Maybe you've heard the news, maybe you haven't. The Screen Actors Guild strike is over. One hundred and eighteen days later, sag Aftra has reached a deal with the studios who that was a long time. We have a new contract now that hopefully we'll make all this time off worth it. It's been such a long road, but I am so happy that we can all get back to work now, which includes talking about shows, particularly talking about new shows. Yes, now you may have noticed there was a dearth of actors joining me on the podcast here. Well, there's a very very good reason for that, because nobody was allowed to talk about any shows or movies that we're currently streaming on any platform. So I have been chomping at the bit to tell you about a recent project I did. As some of you know from my conversations last year, I had the absolute pleasure to work on the show The Other Black Girl, and my guest today is the star of our show, Sinclair Daniel. Sinclair plays Nella, who works at a publishing company. I played Colin, one of the authors that said publishing company represents. The show focuses on how Nella navigates office dynamics, race relations, and well otherness as a black woman in a white dominated space. Sinclair does an absolutely beautiful job as Nella, dealing with all of the complexity and humor and darkness that comes with She is so good everybody, and it is so good for me to finally be able to talk to another actor about well acting, especially new, recent, important and great work. So I am so excited to dive right back in to let you get to know the funny, the brilliant, and the so so so talented Sinclair Daniel. Bubble and Squeak. I love it, Bubble and Squeak, Bubble and Squeak, cooking every move over from the night. People. Hey, how are you? I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 2: It's been so long now.
Speaker 1: I know, it's been a couple of like lifetimes.
Speaker 2: How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm good. You know. It's just now starting to get like wintery cold. So drinking a lot of tea, wearing a lot of scarves, having a good time.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're in New York, right, yeah, I am yeah, and it's getting it's getting cold. You're feeling fall.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling fall. We usually skip fall and skip spring and just go straight to the extremes. So I'm really trying to revel in the niceness that is happening outside right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you and I, Oh my gosh, we last. It's been almost a year before if you could believe that, Uh, it's been almost a year. I want to tell everybody about how we got to know each other. But I want but I want I want to start. I want to start just with you. I want to I want to. I wanta this is your life. This is okay, this is s Claire Daniel's life. You grew up in New York? Is that right?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't. Actually, I grew up in d C. So not super far. But I was born in d C and then lived around that DC Maryland, Virginia area for a little bit, and then in high school and moved.
Speaker 3: To California, California. Where in California, Pasadena? Oh there, Da, it's actually very nice and it's a really nice place.
Speaker 2: So you went to high school out here?
Speaker 1: I did? Yeah, I went to LaSalle High School shout out for two years. Shout out LaSalle in Pasadena.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, what was your So why did you move to California? Was this? Was this a parental thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So my mom's parents were living in California and she was looking for a little bit of a change and they were getting older, so it just made sense to go out there. We would go a couple of times a year anyway. So you just hit the bullet.
Speaker 2: He bit the bullet and moved out. What what were you interested in as a as a kid? What were you what were you focused on? What were you interested in?
Speaker 1: I was really I was a theater kid through and through. I was. Yes, I was just having this conversation with my cousin the other night and she was like, wait, how did you get into this again? I mean the The answer is I had a lot of allergies as a kid, and both my parents worked full time jobs, so I needed something to do from three to six pm that was indoors, okay, because I couldn't do the sports without having an athletsack or an allergy episode. So yeah, theater was kind of the answer for me, and I just liked it, so I stayed with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is like you're talking about like even elementary school or was this like in high school?
Speaker 1: Okay, probably starting around fifth grade, and so I was really into that. I was really I also liked winter activity sports, so I also because no pollen, I liked to ski and ice skate what you can also do in California, which was very exciting to learn, right, surf and ski in the same day.
Speaker 2: And we're are you doing Were you doing like school plays or were you branching out from that children's theater or Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was doing the school plays. We would do like one play in one musical year, and then I would also do some summer programs. I started to do those. I did like community Christmas time, theater productions, pretty much anything that would allow like a kid to just come and participate. I was. I was pretty into that.
Speaker 2: And when you moved to Pasadena, did you get into the I mean, I find it so lame, like to call it Hollywood, but for lack of a better, more accurate phrase, like did you start doing an agent thing or were you doing commercials or were you still pretty much just strictly doing theater in school and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was not doing all that stuff. I was really of all the kids who were. I wanted to be the kid who had to leave school early because I had an audition and sorry, I can't come. I'm going on the Disney Channel next week. But I was very much not that. My mom was like, you're gonna stay in school and if you do the play in school, that's fine. I think I went to like one quote unquote Hollywood audition and they required that we emancipated ourselves, and so my mother said absolutely not and we went home.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, I think I was.
Speaker 1: I could not even tell you what it was. I went in. I was so excited I got to do this one audition. It went really well. They called my mom and they're like, okay, so how do you guys feel about emancipation from your parent and I didn't know if that was so I was like, yeah, let's do it, and she said no, no, no, no, Wow.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that was a real And what's the what's the point of that so they can better control you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's so they can screw you over. I think it's just like so they can have a fourteen year old sign on the dotted line and they don't need like a co uh, a co signer, no guardian or anything. You speak for yourself essentially, or you temporarily turn over your rights to somebody else. Like kind of interesting dark when I got into it.
Speaker 2: Wow, so that is that. That is not a good that's not a good start. I'm surprised you are where you are now, that's crazy, all right, So you you continue to do the theater stuff, and then what makes you decide now, okay, so you're doing theater because you have allergies. You need an activity to do, right, But when when is the moment for you that it changes and you decide, no, no, this is not an activity. Because everybody sort of has these moments right where it turns from an activity to like, oh no, I can this is what I want to do, Yeah, what what was that? What was that for you?
Speaker 1: I think it was less of a like Eureka moment and more of, you know, the span of a couple of years. And when I got to the age where the school play was no longer kind of a requirement or like you know, most kids didn't have to be in it, I kept doing it because I thought it was really fun. And I think that's really what has always been the motivating factor to me, is that it's just so much fun. And then in high school, when I moved to California, they had a pretty good arts department, and I joined their arts department. And really what it came down to is college application. Because for whatever reason, we ask seventeen year olds what they want to do for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I charge them.
Speaker 1: Hundreds of thousands of dollars to follow through on that. So I had to really sit with myself and just say, what do I want to do for the rest of my life? And the only thing that came up for me really that I thought I was any good at or that made me happy, or that I could in reality see myself doing for a long time was acting and performing. So I applied to college with that. That's what I ended up majoring in. And luckily I had parents who are very supportive of that dream and saw it as a valid degree choice kind of path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. You know, I think that we're rare. I mean, you make the joke, but you know it is true. It's it's insane that people are asked at that age like, so what do you want to study? What's your focus for work? Ever? But I think most people change like three or four, absolutely five times. But it sounds like you and myself, like once I got on the train and it was a similar time for me in high school. It was like, oh no, this is this is actually what I want to do. You went for it. Now you ended up going to the prestigious Tish School of the Arts. They're back in now your hometown of New York. Was this an audition process you, Yeah, you auditioned to get in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was probably. College auditions were probably the most stressful audition I've ever had in my life. And I'm including TV movies, Broadway like college auditions, you know, states were high and yes, so most schools require you to do a contemporary monologue and a contrasting classical monologue, if not more. And n Yu didn't ask for a classical monologue. They just wanted to contemporary monologues. And they sent a representative out to Los Angeles, which was nice, so I didn't have to fly across the country. It was in some hotel downtown where I think I later had prom It was weird, but we go in there. I was first of the day, first in line. I was like, I need to get this over with so I can start reading again. I go in there, I do my thing, and then they ask for I do both my monologue, and they ask for a classical monologue Shakespeare, and that was not something on their requirements, and I had not done it yet for my other auditions. I was keeping that in my back pocket because the time hadn't come yet. So I was panicking, and I remember taking my shoes off. I just to like ground myself, and I took my shoes off and I was in my socks and I did my Shakespeare and then I left and it was it was good. It ended up being working out. I really didn't expect it to happen. I think it was the only non California school I applied to It was a pipe dream, but yeah it was. You know, you're just sitting there in a hallway with other nervous, scared teenagers.
Speaker 2: Just imagine what was Tish where you wanted to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I had, I had, I had a top three and Tish was on the top three. But really I did not even think I would get in. It just seemed like such a a dream reach, you know, going to study acting in New York City. That's that could never happen to somebody like me. But it did, and I'm so glad I made that choice to apply to try and then.
Speaker 2: Also to go What did give you.
Speaker 1: A lot? And I also gave them a lot and I'm still giving them some every month. But I did get a lot out of that experience. I mean, I still live in New York and going to college here. My circle hasn't. I mean, I've met more people, but my college circle is now my professional circle. These are now people that hire me and I work with and we just see each other all the time and it's amazing. So it gave me a really amazing foundational community. You know, I moved here as a teenager and I was hanging out with other teenagers. And now these teenagers are associate directors on Broadway. They are in the casting office at CBS like we are, and we're friends. It gave me that, It gave me a great sense of independence. There's not much of a campus here. Our famous tedious slogan is the city is your campus. So and yeah, that's what they tell you. Give us all your money and we won't even give you a quad. But it did. I mean, I was going. I got an internship my freshman year that was in Lincoln Center. I was seeing art shows for free. I was taking advantage of all of the student discounts for museums and outings and all these wonderful things. So I felt like I grew up at my own speed, at my own pace, but in a place that was really built for me. I really felt a deep connection to New York. I still do. I love it here so much, and coming here through college was a really fortunate transition. Wasn't just here had to figure stuff out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you bring up a couple of super interesting points in terms of you know, you're in this school and as you say, there's no quad, the city's your campus, But it sounds like you really took advantage of that and having though that variety of experience. It's sort of the opposite of most college experiences, right, because I feel like, almost intentionally, most colleges are we are a bubble to help protect you and help you to become who you're going to become. Right, I mean it's like we're it's insular in a way, whereas it sounds to me like for you, you had because you went to NYU and you have these discounts. You didn't have money or whatever, and but you were able to go out and have those experiences in the city, which, right, I mean, let's be honest, that's an that's a part of the education I think of itself.
Speaker 1: Right, Probably the best sell NYU can make is where it is. It is New York University, so you get New York that is promised. Yeah. I felt like a baby bird being shoved out of the nest. But yeah, we the adjustment period was brief because the city ways for no one and then you just get on board and it's been amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you feel like you like there's an experience from when you're in high school and you're working on shows and you have accomplished have you know, you've had a various degree of success or whatever. You go to NYU, which is an actor training program, which is the same type of school that I went to. Do you feel like you were I always felt like I was sort of punched in the face very quickly about like, oh, no, son, you don't know, you don't know anything. Yeah, right, like you have you know, instincts, you have stage presence, but no, this is do you feel like was that your experience as well? Like here we're now going to tell you how this actually works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a lot of uh that going on in those first couple of weeks we had We had people drop out in the first couple of weeks. It's it's it's stark, and it's sudden. It's like, you know, ice, cold water just being thrown on your face, right, And a lot of kids who were previously big fishes in little ponds, right and now diny minnows in the Pacific Ocean. So I knew that going in, though I wanted that. I wanted kind of to be punched in the face a little because to me, that makes it real. I wanted the hard work. I didn't want to fall into any type of misconception that I'm going to move to New York and like walk straight onto a set the day I graduate. I wanted it to feel like I was working hard so that when I accomplished things, I wouldn't be afraid of them. But we yeah, we had. I think probably what like a third didn't come back for second year, switched majors or switched schools, switch cities. You know, it's not for everybody, but it did happen. I had a teacher on one of my first acting classes. She just walks in the door and she goes, how many of you have divorced parents? And you're like, oh, that's kind of personal. But I raised my hand and said it a couple of other people and she said, I don't really know why the rest of you are even here. And I was thinking to myself, what thing to say looking around at all the happily married, a couple of parent children in the room, well the tables and turns.
Speaker 2: Did you want to do theater? You wanted to be an actor? You went you, you got in as an actor. Did you want to do theater? What? Where? Where was your brain? I mean you're still young, so I mean you transition pretty quickly. But were did you want to be an actor in anything? Did you have a particular view in mind for what your future held.
Speaker 1: I think I went in like everybody else, wanting to be in movies and on a hit television show with many seasons and spin offs and reboots. And then I got to New York and I really fell in love with theater. I'd already been doing it, but to see it done at a professional level consistently everywhere I went was so inspiring, and I really wanted to do that. So my junior year I actually opted to go study abroad in London and study at RADA because I wanted classical training. I wanted to go see West End shows, fringe shows. I wanted to be in it. And then I came back in my senior year, I went to the film and television studio to just kind of go the other way, and I was like, oh, yeah, I really do like this stuff, so ultimately I'm all, I like all of it. I want to do all of it. I just did a play and it was the first play I'd done in a while, and it felt so good, you know, I was exhausted. I made no money, and I couldn't have been happier I was. It just felt, you know, your whole body gets engaged, and it's a nice reminder for why I got into this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, I I think. I think that's the difference between NYU and most other actor conservatory training programs. I think because you said you entered of course wanting TV series like that was never in my consciousness early on, Like I just wanted to be an actor in the theater like that was like that was the only thing that I wanted and the only thing that I thought that I would ever do, And I didn't even really think about that. NYU has great actor training. How much training are you getting? I mean you said, and I don't know exactly what this means when you went back your senior year film and television, Are you getting film and television acting training as well, or training in the business at all, or how does that work there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They have so at ny you have to do primary training first, so when you go you get sorted into a studio. I always compare it to the Harry Potter sorting hat. It's all the same school, but different acting techniques, right, you don't get to choose, and you have to stay there for two years. And then after your two years you can go abroad, you can try a different acting studio, or you can go do your film and TV stuff, but you're not allowed to do until you finish your theater training. So there's a school NYU called Stone Street Studios, and that's the film and TV side of things, and they really try and make it all of those all of those things that you're talking about. So it's you know, you work on camera with scene work, scene study, but you also have classes on how to read a call sheet and what a typical contract might look like. And we have guest speakers come in and then we have to role plaze the first eighty, the second eighty, the boom op, the gaffer, like you learn those things, which I actually found to be the most valuable part of the whole education at Stone Street was just learning how a set actually runs. I don't know, nobody's gonna slow it down and explain it to you want to get there.
Speaker 2: I know that, and I was when I started in film and television. I was much older and knew not absolutely nothing. And that's what I always say, like, in some ways the hardest part of the job is like figuring out how it actually works. Like if it's just about saying your lines in character to another person, I'm good with that. Like wait, why is this? Why is this person under me? Why am I rattling this person right now? I'm saying everyone close, everyone, so in my face all the time. Yeah, uh, that's that's fascinating. All right. So you graduate, You're in the big city. What what what are you? What are you trying to do? Are you just trying to work? It doesn't matter where it is.
Speaker 1: So I immediately I've been working as like hearing their jobs through college Marista nannying, And then when I graduated, I started working at a gym because I wanted to have my days free to go sit around for hours at Actors Equity and like hope to get seen for an audition. So I would start my work day at like four point thirty in the morning so that I could be done by noon and then I could go to Actors Equity and wait for six hours and then maybe get seen live in the dream. So that was post grad immediately, and I had done a showcase in my senior year. Second semester and I had met my manager and she was kind of just like, I like you, let's see how this goes. So she would send me little auditions here and there. I got my first TV appearance, which was very cool for me, on one of those New York courtroom shows. What was it was Madam Secretary.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I thought, Madam Secretary.
Speaker 1: She wasn't that one. One wasn't actually that court roomy, but it was. It's, you know, very New York type show.
Speaker 2: Media Costello, Media Costello in Madam Secretary. So how was that experience? Like being on a set for the first.
Speaker 1: Time is incredible, I am. I mean every time I step on a set, it's amazing. But I don't think anything can really top the first time that you get to go and you're sitting in the hair and makeup chair and you're handed your scene for the day, and you know, you get to talk to the director, you get to talk to the actor who you've been watching on television, Like there's just something so exciting about that. I was nervous, so nervous, and I even now sometimes when I watch that scene back, like, oh goodness, girl, loosen up. Read a little bit, but you know, all in time, it was. It was a really fun day. I was just so happy, and I remember calling my parents and I was like, I'm gonna be on TEAMV. It was so exciting.
Speaker 2: But you were you were nervous, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was nervous. I was really nervous.
Speaker 2: How many days did you have that first time?
Speaker 1: I was there for five hours? It was not days. A scene where we were sitting at a table, so they did one over the shoulder, another over the shoulder, wid at a medium. They called it okay.
Speaker 2: You end up working on some other shows there in New York, Bull for one, The Good Fight. Do you do you feel like you start gaining confidence with these guest stars, you start feeling more comfortable, or is every time you still get nervous.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, I find new reasons to get nervous every time. It's different nerves. But when I was on The Good Fight, I was My scene was with Audrey McDonald and then Christine Baranski's sitting right across the table from us, and I have to be talking about my dead friend and I'm just in the presence of legends, trying to sitting on a stand in a courtroom, so everyone's just staring at me, and I'm staring at Audre McDonald and she smelled so good and I just wanted her to come stand next to me, and so that made me nervous, but that was also a really it ended up being a really fun day and Bull. I was nervous because it was my first day, my first job where I was on for multiple days. So I was on Bull for I think ten days, So I was nervous about that, you know, building a character, an arc or something like that. But all of the previous experiences inform the next one, which is great, But it doesn't mean I'm not going to be nervous every time I step onto a set, because it's always something new to be nervous about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you did a lot. I mean I have seven here listed in front of me. I won't go through all the titles, but a lot of short films gaining experience. Now is this are these projects that you're doing with some of your NYU cohorts. You guys are putting stuff together, just trying to work there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Some of them were NYU friends that we were, you know, working with. Some were casting calls that I answered in college just for other universities looking for actors. One of my teachers had a friend who was making a production who needed somebody and recommended me. And oh I also spent a summer at Williamstown Theater Festival.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, me.
Speaker 1: Eighteen and I was an apprentice there, and I'd say second to NYU, if not even on par with NYU as far as networking and meeting people, that was really great. So a lot of those short films came out of collaboration with people from there. You know, you just pick up people along the way, and especially with social media now you can just get connected so easily. Right, So people are always looking for somebody to be in their short film, and if you have the patience to do it, they'll let you do it.
Speaker 2: Right. At this point, you're auditioning, trying to find work, working some in the theater. As you mentioned before, how do you meet the folks on the other Black Girl?
Speaker 1: So, yes, I was coming out of When was that so twenty twenty one? Is that twenty twenty one? Yes, twenty twenty one, the top of twenty to twenty one. I'm coming off of like a year nothing. I had signed with my agent in February twenty twenty, and then we all know what happens two weeks.
Speaker 2: Later, right right, was just there was great timing.
Speaker 1: Great timing. I yeah, fresh out of school. I was like, I'm gonna take this by the whole, nothing, nothing, silence. So top of between twenty one, I think one of my first auditions is I get something in my inbox says like untitled Insidious project, and I didn't know what that meant, so I was like, I'm just gonna submit. I get a call back, and then I find out it's the Insidious franchise, like the horror movies, and I'm like, oh my gosh, I actually love these. So I end up booking that, and I while I'm on set for that, I get this audition for the show called The Other Black Girl. At this point, I'm sleeping on my friend's couch underneath his bookshelf, and on his bookshelf is The Other Black Girl. And so I novel the novel the book. So I'm looking at my computer and I said, I've seen that before, and I just turn around and grabbed the book and start reading. And I was like, Okay, well great, but I'm also trying to learn my lines for this movie I'm doing, so I'm not really that focused. So I when it comes time for my audition, I'm on set for Insidious, I have to talk to the director before Patrick Wilson. He was so lovely for this. He gave me like an extra long lunch break and he moved around the schedule so I could do this zoom audition for the other Black Girl. And it was great because I was already in hair makeup and I was like, I feel fabulous, and so that was how I got my first audition for that, and I auditioned for Nella and then when they called me back, they wanted me to read for Hazel. So I read for Hazel and then they said, actually, you know, we kind of feel like you fall in between these two characters too much, so we're going to pass. And I was pretty disappointed because I was like, I kind of feel like I could do this. I feel like I get this person character. But you know what happens. They passed, and then three weeks later they called me back and they said, we actually want to have you back in for Nola. And at that point it just goes like rapid fire. It's pretty much a call a week or two calls a week or something like that. But it ended up being like a July to October process.
Speaker 2: How many times did you read for them?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: How many times?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I want to say. I did my Nella, I did my Hazel. I think I did one more Nella after that, and then I did kind of like a bracket style chemistry read which took three hours, and then I did two chemistry reads with Ashley, who ended up playing Hazel. And then once I got the role, I did chemistry reads with all the Owens, all the Malaikahs. So I was on the phone with these people a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 1: Even remember point I had the job. I was just like, I hope there's a job at the end of this.
Speaker 2: Wow. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: It was quite the process. Yes, So also different countries. I was traveling. I was on vacation, so I was on a road trip on in a van in Iceland when I had my first chemistry read and they said we want to see you tomorrow. So I had to get on my phone and find the nearest hotel on the Icelandic like country side where the whole country's population is like two hundred and fifty thousand people found one room with the strongest WiFi in Iceland. I still think about that hotel.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And I did. I did my my reads in there. My friend sat in the van. Wow, it was chaos.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. Did you when you when you were when you were sleeping under the bookshelf and you turned around and you picked up the book. Did you respond to the book? I mean, I know you wanted a job and spoiler alert, it's the lead, But did you respond did you respond to the to the to the book? Was there? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean when I picked up the book, I read the back or the inside cover wherever the synopsis was, and I said, this sounds really, really good. And then I read the first couple of chapters. And then they had also sent me the pilot, so I read the pilot script and between I did all of that at the same time. So between all of that, I was already pretty hooked. I really felt like I knew who Nella was and I identified with a lot of the things that I was reading about her. And I didn't finish the book until the end of the audition process. I kind of didn't want to know how it ended, but I was as they were sending me scripts, I was reading little bits of the book and just kind of getting more and more interested. And since it's it's it's not necessarily mystery, but thriller. The not knowing, I thought was helping me. I Wela doesn't know what's happening to her, so I shouldn't know what's happening either.
Speaker 2: That's very That's very interesting and astute of you. I think. By the way, the other black Girl New York Times best selling book, Rave Book made into a series. Now, did you have any connection with Rashida Jones.
Speaker 1: Besides being a lifelong fan. Nope. I saw her name and I was I called my dad had Jones. That's what it says. Unless there's another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had no idea. They put you guys through the ringer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was you know, and we all got there and I was talking to everybody else, and Ashley had a similar experience. I think they wanted to get it right that those two relationship, I understand, you know, it was you could find one but maybe didn't have great chemistry with the other. And they made Ashley and I. I think Ashley and I tested together two or three times and it took hours, but nobody was trying to be aloof about it. At one point, Todd, our producing director, straight up set He's like, we really like you too, and we really like you two together, so we're just going to give you some stuff to heighten it so we can send it off to the people at Hulu and they'll love you as much as we do. And I appreciated that transparency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. You get this job, your first obviously central leading role of a big series. Now, is there nerves from you in beginning to work on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nerves. It's a whole new thing to be nervous about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I don't even know how to tell you the nerves I was experiencing. But yes, lead of a show that was a very well liked book, that's going to be on a very popular streaming platform. And everyone kept reminding me that, like, this is so cool. You're going to be the lead of a hula show. You've never done that before.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, yeah, I know that.
Speaker 1: So you know, I was really happy that we got to go down a few weeks before we started shooting, so we got to talk to everybody, We got to do a few rehearsals, which I think is pretty rare in the space, and had got to have a relationship with the people we'd be spending the next four months with ahead of time. And because the show moved so quickly, we shot ten episodes in under four months, and we were block shooting, so we were shooting multiple episodes at the same time. The timeline was all messed up. We're having different directors come in, we're having new actors join us. Honestly, all that was going on really didn't give me enough time to be nervous after a while, which I really appreciated. We were just so busy and everyone there cared about what we were making so much, and I was actually just having so much fun because we had so many amazing comedians on set and funny people that the whole energy vibe was light, even though we were doing this pretty herculean thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's interesting because you know, there are you and Ashley and a lot of the other actors who well, primarily one young with less experience, and then you know you have people coming in like Eric McCormick and Bellamy Young. Well, I was there. I was there for a little bit, but I really enjoyed my work with you. I thought you were fantastic to work with and so open and receptive to Shenanigans that I would try to.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it with you. I appreciated it because that was still kind of early on in our process. So every curveball took me out of my own head a little bit. And I remember specifically that that that we were doing where you know, Nella's fighting tooth and nail through an apology and we got really I don't I don't know what you and Dodd talked about, but every take was different and I appreciated it. It was It was great. But yes, being the youngest, the greenest on set was daunting until I realized nobody else cared. They they were They just wanted us all to do a good job. Nobody was whispering, she's so young, this is her first big job. They were like, we'd all hang out in the actors holding and joke around and everybody was just there was no hierarchy of of uh, you know, status or anything. We were all chilling together and it was really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it certainly helps that you're really good. No, I mean, let's be honest about it, because if I mean, if you were bad, yeah, there would have there would have been tons of whisky. Yeah, yeah, there would have been, especially from that McCormick guy. He is yeah, he is evil. Love he can be he can be so evil. So the show out in September.
Speaker 1: We're in the middle of sixty days, six days ago.
Speaker 2: Today, sixty days ago today.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe not six days, two months.
Speaker 2: Months, yeah, September, that's right, September thirteenth. We how did let me tell you something. I felt horribly for you and for Ashley, because I I just felt like this was not fair to the two of you. Obviously, spoiler alert for those of you listening. The show comes out and we're in the middle of the first actor strike in over fifty years. That's right, the last actor strike. Ronald Reagan was president of the Union, not of the United States. So it's over fifty years ago since the last strike. And so they're making up rules as we go along because there's no playbook to what happens, and we're told that we cannot promote shows that that is part of our job, which it is, is to promote shows, and we were on strike, so that is not something we were to do. And let me tell you, I felt horribly for you and for Ashley because your work is so strong and the material is so good. The end product, which I watched by myself without talking about it either, was so strong that I felt terribly for you that you were not able to go through the experience and get the attention that you deserved to get for the work that you did. Was that difficult for you for it to come out and not be able to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be lying if I said it wasn't difficult.
Speaker 2: Don't lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it was such a conplex amalgamation of conflicting emotions. It was just, you know, highs and lows every day. I think that the actor strike was announced on June twelfth or July twelfth, and our show, the Hollywood Reporter announced our show's release date, so we were almost exactly in line with the actors strike. So we had been told in advance, you know, keep your summer open. We have this big press rollout. We had talks about maybe going up to Tiff and you know, they wanted to do the talk show circuits and they wanted to do all this, and it was so exciting also because you know, this was my first anything of the size, and then to learn in one day that none of that was going to be happening, and that they were also going to release the show without the promo and not bump the release date we had. Yeah, that day was tough. That that that learning that was like, oh no, the next six months of my life that I've kind of cleared out for this big thing is just not going to happen anymore. But the show did still come out, and though we were not allowed to talk about it publicly or promote it publicly or post about it, it really kind of personalized this experience for me because I still heard from a lot of people. I still got texts and calls and messages from folks I haven't heard from in years, or I don't even know directly, and they'd be sending me random billboards from Cincinnati or Los Angeles or Chicago or Philadelphia. People from different countries are reaching out to me saying they've watched the show, and it's given me a little bit more time to read those messages and have conversations with the people in my life who were happy for me and have been following this accomplishment. And at the end of the day, as fun as all that stuff would have been, you can't really miss what you never had. I am excited for whatever project will allow me to have those type of experiences, but I am no less proud of the work that we did on this show. I'm glad that SAG was able to get a deal that they feel is fair so that next time we can go all out. But yeah, you know it was. It was a lot of conflicting emotions over the past couple of months, but ultimately ruled by gratitude.
Speaker 2: Good for you. That's uh, it's it's very mature. And look, let me be let me, let me be honest with you. That stuff isn't fun. It's really not it's really not funk. It sounds it sounds it's way it sounds way better than it is. But that being said, I was really upset for particularly for the two of you now, because you deserved to get that attention and I wanted. I mean, look, the point of all of that promotion, fun or not, is to get people to watch and so you know. Look, it's part of what the fight was about, is not having information about the streaming. I have no idea. I will tell you this, which means absolutely nothing. But I was set by my publicist the day that the trailer came out, which said, you know, hey, here's the trailer of your new show. Don't tweet about it, don't talk about it, don't share it with anybody. But just what was it for your not for your information, but I don't know, for your consciousness. I don't know. They said the trailer, and I clicked on it, and I showed it to someone the next day. So I clicked on it the next day and there were three or four million views of this thing within twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it got traction.
Speaker 2: That got subtraction. Now I don't know if people watch the show or not, but I hope to God that they did. Now for those of you who haven't seen the other Black Girl one, do because I mean, jesus, I'm in it. But too more importantly, Sinclair is in it. I was there through I think episode five. So we're not going to give spoilers away here because I really want people to go and watch the show. But I do want to mention something because I was gone at five there was a unscheduled and by the way, who knows if we're allowed to talk about this, but I don't really care. There was an unse scheduled hiatus that happened during the course of the show because of quote wanting to go in a slightly different direction at the end of the series. Was this done with the thought of bringing it back for season two.
Speaker 1: I wish people would include me in those conversations. I have to imagine, you know, like, what's the plan? I was.
Speaker 2: No, I it's no, it's more from me watching it. It ends differently it had than what had been when I was there. It ended differently than what it was explained to how it was explained to me.
Speaker 1: We were ending You really see, I didn't. I did not ask for the ending. I did not want to know what the ending was, similar to like reading the book, so I didn't figure out how they were going to end it until I read the episode ten script. But it does feel because it's different than the book.
Speaker 2: So it's different than the book. It's different and that's what I mean. No one was filling me. I wasn't in high level meetings. It was more conversations about it and then when I watched it, because I didn't know really what had happened after, you know, I didn't know the end of the story from the serious perspective I had read the book, and I went, oh, oh, well, yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I felt I felt like, you know, if they're taking an extra couple of weeks to go and rewrite the ending of a story that already has an end, right, then that probably means that they want to do something with the story as a whole, I would think, because I mean, there's literally a book that could tell you how to end it right, But to make a different choice, a more left open choice, feels intentional. And obviously nobody knew that we were going to release this show into the strike, but I would hope that that intention is still alive.
Speaker 2: And well, yeah, well I hope so too. Maybe Colin will come back and melt down in some other horrific way as well. Hope. I so enjoyed your work, and I enjoyed one. I enjoyed working with you, and two to see your journey played out, the complex of your performance, the depth of your performance, and the reality of your performance was stunning to watch, and you know what I told you is true the within I'm gonna be real. Within twelve minutes of me getting a text that the strike was over, I emailed I couldn't find your number, and I emailed Jordan and Gus and said, I need to get a hold of Sinclair because.
Speaker 1: They've reached out, like the same day.
Speaker 2: Because I wanted to have you on. I wanted to talk to you about you and your experience and and the show because it's a show that deserves to be seen, and I just I wish it all of the best, and I hope we get to do it again sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, I do too. It was truly the most fun I've ever had on a job and exactly why I do this and really affirming, and to do that again would be such a blessing.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Congratulations. I'm I'm happy to hear you just went back and did something in the theater as well. One of these one of these days, one of these days, I'll follow you and Eric back. Did you see his show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We had three the other Black Girl members on Broadway this fall, and I went to opening night of all of them. Cheered my pants off. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the theater was calling, you know. Yeah, returning it was fun. I did see Eric. He's hilarious. I didn't expect anything less like truly just drove the whole show with his comedic timing. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: He's the best. Oh, such a good time. Thank you for coming on and taking the time to talk to me. Good luck and everybody out there. I'm serious, go and watch on the aforementioned Hulu The Other Black Girl starring Sinclair Daniel. I promise you this, you won't be disappointed. You won't be disappointed. Thanks Sinclair.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Brian.
Speaker 2: Sinclair. So great to have you on today. It was such a pleasure to talk to you, a pleasure to work with you. I'm so happy that I could finally talk about this show that I do, really, really love, and truly you're a big part of why I love it so much. If you haven't already, go watch The Other Black Girl streaming on Hulu. You're gonna love Sinclair. You'll get a glimpse of me as well. You probably forgot what I look like because all you do is hear my voice now, but check it out. Yeah, We're back, Baby, We're back. I will see you next week. Off the Beat is hosted and executive produced by me Brian Baumgartner, alongside our executive producer Ling Lee. Our senior producer is Diego Tapia. Our producers are Liz Hayes, Hannah Harris, and Emily Carr. Our talent producer is Ryan Papa Zachary, and our intern is Ali Amir Saheed. Our theme song Bubble and Squeak, performed by the one and only Creed Bratton,