Speaker 1: Yankees are definitely going to get after it. Brian Cashman has said, We're go into town the Boston Red Sox. They're buyers, so why not strengthen your strength.
Speaker 2: Let's hit the inside scoop with FT senior insider Ken Rosenthal. Ken, great to see you, Happy second half of the season to you and trade deadline season. So I want to start with the AL West leader. The Houston Astros could have a number of starting pitchers returning in the second half of the season. They have a lead in the AL West. Jeremy Pania and Jordan Alvarez should return at some point in the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Do you think they.
Speaker 2: Will be aggressive buyers because the American League has been kind of weak the past couple of years, and who knows, maybe the Astros mess around and end up in the World Series again.
Speaker 4: Right, certainly can't rule that out.
Speaker 1: And I do think they will be aggressive and it's going to be really interesting to see what they try to accomplish.
Speaker 4: Channel the Road.
Speaker 1: Athletic and of our network speculated that they would go for Merrill Kelly strengthen the rotation further because you don't know what you're getting from Christian Vasquez and Luis Garcia and the pitchers who are coming back. You can't be sure of that, so why not strengthen your strength. Put Kelly with from ber Valdez and Hunter Brown, and then you really have something. We know they have a great back end of the bullpen. Their offense once Alvarez is.
Speaker 4: With them, should be okay.
Speaker 1: The one thing that they've also needed and have talked about is a second baseman, and preferably a left handed hitting second basement.
Speaker 4: If the Rays over the next ten days Falter.
Speaker 1: Maybe they make Brandon Lau available. But I'm putting two and two together. I have no idea whether that would happen, But yes, to answer your question, Scott, I do expect them to be aggressive.
Speaker 5: I think we have to check to see if my mic is on or if anybody's mic is on in Seattle, Jerry Depoto, like is this thing out? Like we haven't seen any moves from Jerry to Poto. What can we see from Seattle that needs to like get this team over the hump and get this vaunted pitching staff in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Eric, we haven't really seen any moves from anyone, So I don't think we should single out Jerry Depoto or any other president of.
Speaker 4: Base Operations or head of base operations.
Speaker 1: At this point, which July eighteenth, we are thirteen days away, and really they've only been a couple of very minor deals so far. Now to the question of what Seattle needs and what they want, they've been talking about a corner infield bat Could it be a Johanno Suarez, Could it be Josh Naylor, someone along those lines, And I would expect that they're going to be active along those fronts. Now, could they do other things as well? Could they strengthen the bullpen? Could you maybe even at a starter. Jerry Depoto is the kind of head of base operations I put nothing past and you never know.
Speaker 4: What they might think of.
Speaker 1: But the rotation still seems to be a strength. Now that pretty much they are healthy except for Bryce Miller, and offense is where they can.
Speaker 4: Really make the biggest upgrade.
Speaker 1: The question with all of these things that we're going to talk about for the next two weeks, guys, is where is the quality in this market? Where are the good players that are available. They're not that much of a supply. There's not that much of a supply right now. And that is the issue. That's the problem that teams are going to face. There are some executives predicting it's going to be a boring deadline because just of what I said, there are not that many good players available, and it's going to be tough for teams even to pry away some of the ones that.
Speaker 5: Are What are you hearing about the market for Luis Robert Obviously twenty twenty three All Star and super feenom coming up possibly in the last two years have been a dud, But what have you been hearing out there about his availability but also his desire from other teams to want him.
Speaker 1: He's highly available and the White Sox eric hole the twenty million dollar club option on him for next year. They're not exercising that option. So you have to trade Luis Robert Junior to get anything in return for him, and I mean anything, whatever it might be. Now, if you're the White Sox, you will tell teams hey still a great defender or good defender in centerfield, steals a lot of bases. Of course, has to get on to steal bases, but we believe he can still be a contributor for your contending team. Contenders are going to say in response, he's hitting one ninety or whatever the number is, and we're not paying a premium for this dude, especially when he's got some money coming to him.
Speaker 4: So I expect to be traded.
Speaker 1: I don't expect he's going to bring back a lot, and I expect the team that.
Speaker 4: Acquires him will say, change his scenery. Maybe it will do him good.
Speaker 1: If you look at what happened with Andrew Vaughn in Milwaukee, Andrew Vaughan was one of the worst offensive players in the league and suddenly he is a significant contributor for the Brewers. Now, maybe it's only one good week, I get it. But at the same time, maybe getting guys out of there and having them join a new team, team that will refresh them and bring them perhaps to a greater level of performance.
Speaker 5: Do you know, maybe this is something that's way out of your scope. But Luis Robert his contract you've said about they have a team option to pick it up if he gets traded. Does he have the opportunity to say, hey, I want them to pick up this trade. I don't know, if he's like no trade clause any of that stuff. Would teams be afraid to then not trade for him. If that were the case, I.
Speaker 4: Would expect that if he gets traded Eric, the.
Speaker 1: Team that acquires him will be operating under the premise that they're not picking up the option. Now, maybe he goes NOTHS in the final two months and you say, you know what, I'll take it for twenty million next year. But what are the odds of that. I don't think they're very high. So there's no no trade clause. As far as I know, he can't demand them to pick up an option, and teams would laugh.
Speaker 4: At him if he did that anyway.
Speaker 1: So that's my expectation that any team that acquires him looks at him as a rental.
Speaker 6: A lot of AL teams hovering over that five hundred mark. As we've seen, it's going to be a battle to the finish. That's exciting for baseball, exciting for everybody that's a baseball fan. You do you know any sellers or buyers right now of those AL teams are as a wait and see closer to the deadline as we get there.
Speaker 1: Todd, there are a number of teams that are waiting to see and I will go through them as quickly as I possible in the as I can. In the American League, the Boston Red Sox their buyers, but the Tampa Bay Rays, after losing twelve of sixteen, they don't know where they are. Next ten days are critical for them. Minnesota and Cleveland four four and a half games out in the wildcard race. Next ten days also critical for them, and even Kansas City, which just acquired Adam Frasier and clearly wants to compete. If things go south for them in the next ten days, they're going to have to look at trading Seth Lugo.
Speaker 4: And then you get to the Western Division.
Speaker 1: The Texas Rangers are another team that are kind of in this We're not quite sure who we are. They want to contend they have built this team to be a really good team and it hasn't happened. So if they do not fire in the next couple of days and weeks, I would expect they're gonna have to take a hard look at some things too and maybe consider themselves more of a seller.
Speaker 2: Can I'll flip over to the National League. I like this term that you use sometimes, bell of the ball. Do you think the Pirates might end up as that team? Because they do have assets in Dennis Santana and David Bednar in the back end of the bullpen. If there aren't significant starters available, like let's say the Diamondback's going to run the next ten days, they take their guys off the market. Mitch Keller might be the best starting pitcher available at the trade deadline. Do you think the Pirates could be this very popular team.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: And it's not just miss Keller, of course, It's Kip Ryan Hayes, It's Brian Reynolds, it's the two relievers you mentioned.
Speaker 4: They could do annumber of things. Now will they do them? I don't know. And they're in a really.
Speaker 1: Good position with Keller in particular, because of the shortage of starting pitchers.
Speaker 4: Who is the Max Schurzer of this year's deadline.
Speaker 1: There is none, So you're looking at Sandy Alcantra, who has struggled, Zack Gown, who has struggled.
Speaker 4: Merrill. Kelly is good.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks probably will only trade one of Kelly and Gown if they trade at all.
Speaker 4: And then there's Mitch Keller and maybe a few others.
Speaker 1: Adrian Howser with the White Sox, Charlie Morton with the Orioles.
Speaker 4: It's not a killer group.
Speaker 1: By any stretch of the imagination. So Scott, to answer your question, yes, the Pirates do hold a lot of pieces. They have no reason to hold on to them, and I would expect, because they've made it known that the only untouchables are Skeins and McCutcheon, that they will be quite active.
Speaker 2: One more team in that division. Let's say the Cardinals fall off over the next ten days. Do you think they could open things up with a Ryan Helslee and maybe even a Sunny What was he saying, Kratz that he would maybe consider a trade at the deadline.
Speaker 5: He said no in the off season. Okay, possibly consider it at the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: That would be a big name.
Speaker 4: It would be, and their team to watch as well.
Speaker 1: They fall into that same uncertain category that I lived with the American League teams.
Speaker 4: Hellsley is a guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, if he became available, teams would love to have him. He'd be an easier pitcher or closer to acquire than Classe or Durant or Jackson in the American League. Those guys have control left. You'd have to pay a higher price. Helsey would be a rental The Cardinals are a team that is played beyond where they thought they would be, beyond where really everyone in the.
Speaker 4: Industry thought they would be.
Speaker 1: I don't expect John Mosey Lock as President Baseball Operations in his final year, is going to want to concede if they're anywhere close. But yes, Scott, under the scenario that you just presented, if they fall off, sure I would expect that they would open things up.
Speaker 6: Go back to the Northeast. Here we got to ask this question, Mets. The Yankees also having a really good year. What do you see these two teams doing at the deadline. We know what the Yankees need, maybe a third base, maybe another starting pitcher, Mets, I mean they can use it, you know, another starter or two as well. Like what are their specific needs and do you see both those teams getting after it.
Speaker 4: The Yankees are definitely going to get after it.
Speaker 1: Brian Cashman has said, we're going to town and they have very obvious needs, starting pitcher being one, bullpen help being perhaps the most important thing that they can do. And yes, the third basement as well, especially now with Jazz back at second and they don't really get any offense out of Parraza at third, so they want to improve in all of those areas. The Mets are a little bit different that they can do some things too, and Will Bullpen, I would expect would be their primary area of focus. Yes, certainly they could use a starter given the situation that they're.
Speaker 4: In, but it's good to know with them.
Speaker 1: They've got Senga healthy, now, they've got Manaia back, and Montas looks like he might be okay too.
Speaker 4: You put those three with.
Speaker 1: David Peterson, I don't know that you need to play on a big starter.
Speaker 4: Maybe you just need a depth guy.
Speaker 1: And then they've also talked about centerfield and maybe Harrison Bader coming back someone like that. So I expect them to be active as well. And their form system is deeper than it was, so to get what they want, they might not have to trade their top guys. And in this market, I don't know that there's anybody worth.
Speaker 4: Your top guys. So we'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 5: What phrase did Cashman use that you just said going to town? Going to town. That doesn't sound like Brian Cashman at the trade deadline. That sounds like Yankees fans at the trade deadline thinking what Brian Cashman should do so. Historically, Historically, he doesn't go to town. Is there a team that is going to be reckless at the trade deadline or should be reckless based on the fact that maybe this front office doesn't have a job anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, the Ekis have been generally active at the deadline when they've had a chance, So going to town is not a phrase that I've heard him use before, but he has been active.
Speaker 4: He does not hesitate.
Speaker 1: The Toronto Blue Jays are a team that their front office has been under some scrutiny in recent years. And yes, their contracts are essentially up Mark Schapiro this year as the team president, Ross Atkins next year as the general manager.
Speaker 4: Obviously they are linked.
Speaker 1: They have the ability to do some things to upgrade themselves, and they are willing, I am quite certain to trade from the fums to do so.
Speaker 4: And I don't know that I would say they're trying to save their jobs.
Speaker 1: Baseball executives don't operate like that too often. They are generally pretty responsible, trying to protect their teams present as well as their future. But the Jays are certainly motivated because they haven't played well in recent years and here. They are finally back at the top of the division and they've got a chance with this.
Speaker 4: Particular group of players to do something special. So yes, I don't know that they'll do anything reckless, but I expect them to be active and aggressive. The other team that we have to watch because aj Preller is so creative and aggressive always is San Diego.
Speaker 1: And I don't know that they're going to go crazy, and their system is not what it once was, and we don't know how much payroll flexibility they have, but they have a clear need in left field. They could certainly use another reliever because as good as their bullpen is, with three All Stars and Estrada could have been an All Star, those guys are all up near the league lead in appearances, and then a starting pitcher as well would be something that would behoove them a controllable starter, ideally with CEC and King both eligible for free agency. I can't predict and will not predict what aj Preller might do.
Speaker 4: But do I expect him to be busy? Oh? Yeah, always, that's what he does.
Speaker 3: I think you should.
Speaker 2: I love their bullpen. I mean that bullpen caused problems last year in the playoffs. Could have got them to a World Series. It was close, so I'm all for it. Two more to go, Ken. We're taking you away from the teams and the player specifically for some bigger picture topics. Actually, this one does involve a player, but it's not trade wise. I was crushed annihilated yesterday when we went through your athletic notes column. Okay, and we were going down the line and we got to the Kyle Tucker conversation. AJ and Kratz bullied me like never before on this show, saying I was absolutely insane for even considering that Kyle Tucker would ever sign with the Rays based on a new owner coming in and spending money like that. Can you help defend me since you actually put the article out and I bought into it. I said, it's not the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: Is it likely? No, But we don't know this guy, and sometimes owners come in and spend.
Speaker 1: Big I don't know why you would be bullied over that. It was speculative, yes, but yes, that's the whole thing. Kyle Tucker's from Tampa. He is a guy that is kind of quiet to himself, doesn't necessarily need the bright lights, and if an came in and was willing to pay Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 4: Admittedly that's a long shot.
Speaker 1: No matter who the owner is in Tampa Bay because of their market, I can't imagine he wouldn't entertain the idea.
Speaker 4: And if you remember a couple of years ago, they went pretty big for Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 1: Now, one hundred and fifty million, which is what they were offering Freddy, is different than four hundred to five hundred, which is what Cayle Tucker's going to get.
Speaker 4: I understand all that, but there's no reason you should have been bullied about this.
Speaker 1: It was merely a note and not even the lead note in a column, and just kind of an idea to throw out there for people to kind of think about.
Speaker 4: I didn't present it as anything that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: But it's an intriguing thought because once they do get a new owner, I would expect a new owner is.
Speaker 4: Going to act differently than the previous owner.
Speaker 1: Whether he goes out and signs a Kyle Tucker that's another question entirely. But yeah, when a new owner comes in, generally things change.
Speaker 2: I was getting a side eye from Crats just now, but ken they even came back with me at one point and said, new owners take time, and I gave them. Cohen and Mark Walter. They that that doesn't count. Then I brought then we both brought up the Orioles. But wait the Orioles. They're like, well that hasn't worked out. Wait the ools up there. Yeah, he said so he actually said it wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe the peril increased by the second highest amount last year. Now did they spend well, that's another question. But he did come in and spend. It wasn't like they went crazy. They didn't resign Corbyn Burns, but they did spend some money.
Speaker 3: Yes, they offered.
Speaker 5: They offered Corbyn Burns some cash.
Speaker 3: They did. They did the.
Speaker 4: Big offer. It was four that's a big offer.
Speaker 5: Up in the highest highest av I think.
Speaker 3: Yes it was, but it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you, Ken. I appreciate you being on our side because one we didn't bully him. You were on our side. You understand on your side, he's on our side.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: You brought up the exact same argument that I had Freddy Freeman for one hundred and fifty is way different than Kyle Tucker. So you're on our side, and you don't even know it, so you're a bully to Scott.
Speaker 2: Also, all right, ed, last one, Okay, let's see if we can find common ground here. Topic of the day. Should we push the trade deadline back two weeks?
Speaker 1: I know that's a hot topic, and I understand where it comes from, because by August fifteenth, things will be clearer than they're going to be perhaps on July thirty. First, the problem I have with pushing the deadline back is the impact wouldn't be the same, and you're getting a guy for six weeks instead of two months. I know it's not that much of a difference, but the action wouldn't be quite what it is now.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't give up.
Speaker 1: The same quality of prospect for six weeks on a rental, for instance.
Speaker 4: So I'm not for it.
Speaker 1: I understand the sentiment, and in this particular case, let's look at this year's deadline. Even if we have more clarity on August fifteenth, I don't know that we're gonna have many better players available.
Speaker 4: So I am not in favor of that.
Speaker 1: And I know the argument and understand the argument for it, and there's a valid argument there, but in my view, it's more exciting to force teams to make decisions with two months to go, and you get better prospects involved, you get just more interesting traits.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair point. I see both sides.
Speaker 1: And this is the first time I have ever been accused of being a bully.
Speaker 4: I'm five four.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really happen too often where people ask that or people call me a bully.
Speaker 6: Exciting.
Speaker 5: Listen, I saw you, Ken, I saw you at the All Star break. You are you can be a bully. You could be a bully, and I like it. I like that side of you. You're standing up taller now that you feel like a bully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except he doesn't agree with you, so good. Try our two six foot billion catchers picking on me. But I can take him. Thank you, Ken, have a great weekend. We'll catch you on Fair Territory on Monday.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: That's Ken Rosenthal on Fair Territory Monday and Thursday.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next week is big, obviously, it's the week before trade deadline coverage fires up, and we're gonna have a longer show during the trade deadline day. Of course it'll be I think one to six, but Fair Territory part of the FT Network Live Monday morning, Ken recapping the weekend and going over whatever trade chatter arises. Popcorner, let's pizzle, it's powered by Next Playground and sitting next to the home run heroes Legends of Next Playground Todd Father.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: Jim Bowden wrote this article yesterday should MLB move the trade deadline? Why pushing it to mid August makes sense? And he's got Zach's on the record talking about it. He asked Dave Dombrowski, legendary baseball executive. His answer quote, I think it's a good idea, So he's essentially in favor of moving it.
Speaker 3: Back, simple and right to the point.
Speaker 2: He asked John Mazzaylock, longtime executive in the sport, very successful with the Cardinals from a years and he said, quote, I think it's worth the conversation. Boden writes about how the draft has pushed back the conversations between executives because they focus on the draft for a while. We also have a ton of injuries in August and you can't do anything about them anymore besides waiver pickups, which did create the dump deadline a couple of years back with the Angels, getting rid of all those players, but that's not the norm. And I think the most important part for the marketing Sidecrats was how he said a later deadline would help the sports visibility because it would shine a light on MLB more than ever before for the first two weeks of August, when many people shift their attention to NFL training camps and exhibition games.
Speaker 3: He's got a great point there.
Speaker 2: MLB owns July, but there shouldn't be a ton of competition yet in August when there aren't real NFL games. This would keep the narrative going online. Audience loves trade talk. I'm part of that, right. I'm a fan that loves podcast, YouTube TV. I can't get enough of the trade talk. That's me and I'm looking for that. I'm searching for that, so are many other fans. I want to know what's next, who is my team trading for, or who's being traded in the league. Keep that conversation going another two weeks.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 2: The only downside is that some teams might say it's not long enough and I'm going to shave some of what I'm giving you off the return, and I say I don't care as long as we get the deal done, I don't care if the prospect package isn't as good. The same players are going to move, but you'll get more players in the pool because more teams will be out of it.
Speaker 5: But then they're not going to move them. I think it's going to be the adverse, Like teams are going to be like, oh, I'll take a compic yeah, Like they're not. They're not because we've already devalued the player, like the I mean by two weeks, but that's two weeks less of a chance that somebody, the owners or the owners and the teams want this because then they can tell are we in it or are we out of it? Now they're like, I'm not sure I could lose my job because I think we're out of it, and then we're back in it. So it's creating more certainty for them and less value for the You want to go to a team that you're going to play an extra month and try to win a World Series with for two months or a month and.
Speaker 3: A half, I don't think it makes a difference. I think it.
Speaker 5: Makes a huge difference. They're going to take what is that seventy at bats away from a Juhenniosuarez on the on the Yankees, on the Tigers. That's huge to me if you are a team aspiring to be a winning team, and we have less teams that really aspire to win that we do teams that want to win, you want to get this done. So to me, if if they're gonna move it, I would be in favor of an earlier deadline that gives them, you know, maybe you get some type of compensation for the teams that actually want to win and they're like, hey, halfway through the season, So June fifteenth, there's some type of deadline, because we want to move the other deadline back to August.
Speaker 3: So two deadlines again, two.
Speaker 5: Deadlines again, because the second one helps teams make that change the first one. The Rockies knew they were should be selling in that early one. The crappy teams you don't care about winning, Hey, you know what, you don't care about winning? Will incentivize you to trade ex players with years of service. By June fifteenth, you get something back, whatever the currency that they want, right whatever currency they want, a third round pick, and then you have the regular deadline moved back to mid August. If that's what they want. I don't like it any later with it just being one.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I just think two weeks later will create more attention, more action, and if you're worried about the return. The one other thing you might have to figure out down the road is getting rid of the qualifying offer, which is not actually crazy. The league did offer to give that up, and then they wanted the international draft. They didn't come up with it, but the qualifying offer is annoying. I think that eventually will go away anyway. I think it'll eventually go away completely, And if it does.
Speaker 5: It's gonna sound like something different.
Speaker 2: And you're a team and you have a guy and you let him go till the end of the contract and he just leaves, you get nothing, and that's how it should be because that forces you again to get something for that player. And because that even happens right now, sometimes the team will be like, hey, the best prospect I'm being offered, I don't think is as good as the thirty fifth pick which I'll get.
Speaker 3: For this guy leaving, so I'll just keep him. I'm trying to think of things that will create more action and activity.
Speaker 6: More buzz too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it later.
Speaker 6: I like it. There's a couple of things. I mean, the draft should be a different time. All Stars should be a whole week long, so everybody that gets picked start the gat him on the Friday or Saturday. So now all of a sudden, you know, you can go home. But I feel like guys that get picked, they don't play. You want to see all these guys play, try it out. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? But yeah, I do like I do like the trades to be a little bit closer to the September start because if an injury does happen, or if you're going into you know, you're down two or three games and you need a fifth starter like Boom and other teams are going to get better too because they're gonna get rid of some of their best players, so or prospects at least. So I'm I'm I'm all in for that, Scott, thank you.
Speaker 5: My thing with it? If you're going to move it back, is that just drumming up more publicity hubbub about the trade deadline?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Or is it making a better product on the field, Because Ryan McMahon playing for the Rockies does not make a better product on the field, and you're Henningosuarez playing for the Diamondbacks right now is not a better product. The best players on the best teams that want to win or I know the Braves want to win, but they're not in a winning window right now, putting those players on those teams. Think about the Dominican Republic. Your team is out, you get drafted to the teams that are in the playoffs, like so, they have the best players. You want the best players on the field to make the teams the best, to make that product the best that's out there.
Speaker 2: You will have more trades if you push it back two weeks because there will be a few other teams that say, am tiptoeing, Okay, we just lost seven out of ten. Our percentage chance went down even more. You will have a couple more teams that fall out of it. You will occasionally have a big injury in those two weeks where its.
Speaker 3: Team gets desperate too yeah, and they're like, hey, I gotta make this move. I just lost my third basement. Just had the August thirty first one back, the waiver one.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was so asinine in my in my opinion with that.
Speaker 3: One too, but I just want more in August. August gets slow for no reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overall, and this is a show that loves talking trades, which we're gonna do with Ken Rosenthal coming up. But first a reminder. Next Playground still has that sale running. You can hit the QR code on the screen right now for twenty percent off. That's a fifty dollars savings play over forty five games. Fruit n Joe, which Kratz is terrible at, home Run, Hero Star Strikers, Todd Fathers Best in Tom's River at the Game at the moment, number one ranking in Tom's River, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Don't at me, but anyway, check out the game. It looks like this.
Speaker 1: Even Summer needs a beck up, a pal, a little sidekick in the big kind of chaos, the kind of partner that turns living rooms into playgrounds and reminds us what our bodies and our hearts were made for.
Speaker 5: Play that moves you