Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning from San Francisco, and thank you very much to all our listeners and viewers around the world, and thank you to Mary Daily for joining us today. I have to start off by saying, after we had the FED decision, Bloomberg had on a Wall Street analyst who said, the important thing now is to find out what Mary Daily thinks because she was kind of on the dubvish side, and yet she's not an extreme dove. So I want to get your feelings on it. And the story was the dissenters on the bias for the forward guidance. Would you agree with their position? You weren't a voter, but did you agree with their position?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't see a lot of confusion in the public. When I go out in my communities, talk to businesses, talk to consumers, households, I don't see a lot of confusion. They know the FED is committed to price stability, that that's our first priority right now. The labor market is stabilized. They see that from the adjustments we made last year. So for me, it's really about the right policy. Decision was the one everybody agreed to. Which is hold the right study, continue to collect information, and you see in markets pricing even today, markets are priced in equal probabilities of a cut versus a hike, and the most likely probability is that we hold study. And I think that's well positioned. So for me, the real signal about the meeting is that everyone agreed to the decision and that the communication that the share maidenance press conference is higher for longer relative to last year. But the households, businesses and markets that already priced that in.
Speaker 2: Your colleague from Bust and Susan Collins told us yesterday that the phrase about additional moves is associated in people's minds with a cut now because it's been following so many times. Do you still feel that that's the path for monetary policy.
Speaker 1: It's sometimes sad for FED officials to realize this, but there are very few people other than all of you and FED watchers who look at our statement. Most people look at how we position ourselves, and there I would say that most people aren't worrying about that phrase, and so I think the phrasing of the statement is less important than the actions of the FMC and the actions of the FOMC have been to really focus on price stability when we think inflation is rising, and really focus on being patient enough to see if the concerns we have are even going to materialize. So it all comes back to how long does the conflict last? And if it's prolonged, then we might see more spillovers of oil and other commodity prices into other goods and services. And if it comes up quickly it ends soon, then the forward contracts on oil or for oil to come back down to around seventy five dollars depending on the day. And that is something where our businesses are telling us, oh, we're looking through the shock right now, because we don't it'll last forever, but it won't be forever that we can look through it. And consumers are doing the same, look at the spending they're mostly looking through.
Speaker 2: But policy wise, is the cutting cycle over now? I don't think.
Speaker 1: I think it's really too early to tell. If the conflict ends and oil prices come back down and that doesn't get passed into the broader economy, then I expect the underlying dynamics that we were facing prior to the conflict to return, which is policy is slightly restrictive continues to put downward pressure on inflation. The labor market is stable right now, but it's not creating any inflationary pressures, and businesses are cautiously optimistic. So that's a good dynamic for the economy and one where I expect inflation to come back down to our two percent target. But the main issue is what is the risk out there? How does the oil price shock move its way through the economy, how long does the conflict last? And can we really get that two percent target that we've been that we've been working towards that, and that's what we're determined.
Speaker 2: To do to chieve that. Can you get to that target? The Fed watches inflation expectations. The New York Fed survey of consumers today showed inflation expectations rising to three point six percent for the next year. Are you in danger of having those become unanchored? You know?
Speaker 1: The short term inflation expectations are a reflection of what people are feeling right now at the gas pomp in the grocery stores, etcsme, fertilizers and other things start to spill over. That is not something that indicates a drift of the anchor. What we really have to focus on is does that translate into a move in medium term inflation expectations or longer run inflation expectations. You really don't see that right now, but that's not satisfying to say we don't see it, so it's not there. You have to dig deeper. What are we really seeing in terms of wage negotiations? What do we see in terms of firms passing a long thing? So I spend a lot of time, as you know, going around the twelve districts, and I just don't find a lot of producers and sellers feeling like they can pass through the price increases to consumers that have consumers stay in the game. So you're seeing some surg charges emerge on energy, but other than that, you're not seeing a lot of pass through as of yet. So I think the economy is in a place where I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that we're going to have persistently high inflation. I would jump to the data and say, what can we see? And the inflation expectations being well anchored is an important component of our ability to be patient.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been largely talking about energy inflation here tariffs are still on and according to the administration, there are more coming within the next month or so. What are companies saying about how they're dealing with this now that they're a year into it.
Speaker 1: Well, right now they're trying to get refunds if they're eligible for them, and they're working towards that. But they didn't, you know, not all of them pass through the full tariff burden. They split it up on things, and they see those burdens as rolling off that is more or less coming back to normal. You know, tariffs are a one time price adjustment, and they they calculate how much, how much can I take out of margins, how much can I share with other producers, how much do I need to pass along to consumers? So I would say that's in train and moving into direction we had anticipated. The new information is that we've got an oil price shock added to that, while inflation has been elevated since for almost five years or five years, and so consumers are just feeling the ongoing pressure of dealing with higher price levels and inflation that's above our target. So you know, the way I think about that is we have to continue to work towards restoring price stability, but overreacting to the news or then expectation that something's coming down the pipe can be as damaging to the economy as underreacting. So you have to balance both of those risks and really watch the information that we have, not just the backward looking information about what inflation did last month, but the forward looking information about how consumers, producers, and sellers are really responding to the challenges ahead of that.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeremy Polliny's news conference suggested that there is a concern, or at least he has a concern that after a number of supply side shocks in the last five to ten years, consumers are no longer thinking that two percent is normal.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what we have to treat absolutely. So there is this whole concern, and it's in the research literature, etc. That you can only put so much pressure on the goal if we print higher and higher above the goal, that that actually bleeds into people's expectations. So that's one of the things I think is really important to study. I know we're both going down to Hoover tomorrow and it's going to be a topic of conversations. The focus of my research team's work and the research. I think we're doing in academia to really think does this bleed through? But for now, what we're doing is looking at all the other information and asking has it happened? And I don't see a lot of evidence in the data that longer or medium run inflation expectations have drifted off the two percent anchor, and certainly wage inflation is consistent right now with the two percent target. So you know, it's right to look, it's right to study that, it's right to ask the question. You can't jump to the conclusion that just because it might be true, it is true.
Speaker 2: You'll have a new boss, not boss because of the way the Fed's set up, but a new chair next week, probably my fifth chair by the way. Congratulations. I'd like to run through a number of Kevin Walsh's ideas and see what you think of them. And the first one is a smaller balance sheet, And there are two ways of looking at that. One is just to bring the balance sheet down and use various ways to ensure there's liquidity, and the other is to go back to a scarce reserve system. How do you think about either one of those?
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting, I think this has been a topic for a long time that is really important for us to grapple with. The balance sheet comes with optics that are hard to control, and people worry about the footprint, etc. And so you know, I gave a speech back last year on how do we communicate the balance sheet? Whatever it is? The truth is, you figure out what you need to do, and I think providing liquidity is an important component. We don't want to risk, you know, businesses like we did in the financial crisis, not being able to get liquidity even though they're well capitalized, simply because they didn't have the counterparty.
Speaker 2: So that's scarce.
Speaker 1: Liquidity is just a challenge for the financial system. But there are many ways to provide liquidity without actually, you know, being in the situation we're in. And I look forward to working with Kevin Warris Sho as chair and also all my colleagues to really think through that. I think the thing that the American people should know, your listeners should know is there's two components of balance sheet policy. One is the plumbing, how do you actually do it? And the second is the explanation. How do you explain what you're doing and how do you ensure that markets understand where you're going with the balance sheet, that we know that the public understands why it's growing or shrinking, and that ultimately we're we're putting those two things together there. You know, the ECB does a different thing. They have ample on demand run an ample on supply. Certainly we can consider those types of things as well. So I'm in the point of it's a good thing for us to study, and I don't want to prejudge the conclusion because there's a lot of work we can do to figure out what the optimal way to do it is, not just from the plumbing, but also from the communication.
Speaker 2: What about the SEP the dot plot. You have moved to talking about scenarios rather than exact forecast. Is that something that FED should do well?
Speaker 1: You know, again, I'll leave it to the deliberations we take at the FMC, but I do think scenarios in of time when you have a lot of shocks coming your way, are really important.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Strict forward guidance and this goes all the way back to Bernanki and predates him when he was an academic. Not that chair, is that you know the idea that you're going to provide a lot of precision. When you don't, you have a very uncertain future. Is just it's a false precision. We don't have it, So what do you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Then, scenarios can be helpful because they help the public understand what is most critical to understand the fed's reaction function. You know, there are point testaments about what we think will happen in a month or two months or six months, and then what we would do if it happened. Those are much less interesting.
Speaker 2: Would you get rid of the SEP? Would you get rid of the doctor? I am?
Speaker 1: You know you're going to be dissatisfied with this, Mike, But I'm going to say that I think that I look forward to deliberations on all of these topics. Ultimately, the fed's communication has to and I've talked about this many times. Transparency and communication are critical to having an accountable FED a reserve, and how we communicate should be you know, studied, maybe change to meet the moments that we have in front of us. And I think that's the real evolution I'm looking forward to. But I don't want to prejudge or stake out any territory about my thinking until we all have a chance to deliberate it collectively.
Speaker 2: Okay, one last question. Kevin Warsh has suggested that y'all talk too much. There's too much fed canmmunication. What do you think of that? And would you be willing to cut back on communication except when doing interviews with us?
Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, this is what everybody's going to ask us. But the thing that I think is really important is to ask ourselves why do we communicate? What are we accomplishing? Here's how I think of it for myself. We're trying to explain what our reaction function is and why the policy choices that we're making or thinking about are really for the American people. What variables are we thinking about, et cetera. Where I and you know this because it often causes dissatisfaction. Where we're going to go next week? What my thinking is today is much less relevant about the point estimates on the policy decision. It's what's much more important is how would I react to economic situations coming forward. So again, I look forward to to having Kevin join our Kevin worsh when he's confirmed, having him join the FMC, having him chair it and lead it. And I also look forward to the debates that you know. I know Kevin well enough to say that he does mean what he says when he says he wants to have real debates, real discussions, and I look forward to those.
Speaker 2: Well, we look forward to you continuing to talk to us, even if Kevin says you can't talk to anybody. We'll see how that goes. Very daily. The president of the San Francisco FED, thank you very much,