Speaker 1: Hey, that folks, Amy a TJ. Here. We're actually joining you just mid conversation. We have been sitting here going back and forth for about twenty minutes about what we wanted to talk about in this episode. Meanwhile, we just recorded a pretty good episode that wasn't recorded that would have been great if we were rolling on it. But we don't know what to do, folks, We're torn. I think we're recording this now, day after day after the verdicts, and that we're digesting it robes now and you and I have been going back and forth about what we make of Diddy, what we make of victims, what we make now going forward, of how we're supposed to view victims, and the way you put it robes any role they do play in the position they end up in, and as it does that make it any less of a crime. Actually, this is a mess.
Speaker 2: It is because I think, look, did he might be the only winner from yesterday's verdict and he's still behind bars and he's going to serve some time. But I think everyone else lost something. And I know if you go online and you google reaction to the Diddy verdict, you'll see and hear from a lot of women's advocacy groups, me too movements, victims advocates, and they all are well, many of them are outraged. They feel like this is set back victims' rights, This set back an opportunity for women to feel free and comfortable to talk about what happened to them, to even seek charges, to go to police, to speak out about.
Speaker 1: We can't argue all right? Are they right?
Speaker 2: Do they feel silenced after this because he was not convicted of the crimes against the women who claim that they suffered under.
Speaker 1: His vis don't we all and shouldn't we all share in their outrage? Should we all share in at least being in some even if it's not outrage, but in agreement that it's some kind of setback on such a high profile case, when there's such a high profile abuser that we have witnessed literally on video, that seemingly has gotten away with something.
Speaker 2: So here's my take, and this is what we were discussing. Yes, you're right, it seems like he got away with it. Yes, it seems like he got away with it. That he only was convicted for transporting mail escorts across state lines to have paid sex with his then girlfriends and it seems like he avoided facing punishment for what we all saw witness and what he even admitted to. Yes, when it came to violence against Cassie, violence against Jane, but that was the prosecution who created the situation that we're now all in where we feel defeated or deflated expectations.
Speaker 1: They set the expectation.
Speaker 2: Because if here was my issue the whole time, and seeing how it all unfolded, I actually feel even more angered by it.
Speaker 3: Why in God's name.
Speaker 2: I understand there'll be a legal reason and a political reason, but come on, why couldn't Diddy have just been charged with the crimes he actually committed, which was assault, domestic violence, illegal drug use. Those were things that he admitted. Those were things that were absolutely provable, beyond the shadow of a doubt, not just reasonable doubt. And those were things that the defense said, yeah, guilty is charged. Why was he not charged with those crimes? Because if he was charged with those crimes, and that's what people were so upset about, obviously, when they saw that video of Cassie venture Fine being physically assaulted under a surveillance video, when several people testified to personally witnessing egregious acts of assault and violence? Why was he not charged for all of those numerous times that were well documented.
Speaker 3: If he was charged with that, he would have.
Speaker 2: Either pled guilty to those or he would have been convicted. And then wouldn't we all feel good as women and as women advocates that he was charged and convicted or at least paying his dues for those crimes.
Speaker 1: I agree, we just can't make sense of we know and we have seen now what by all intents and purposes, has been described as a as a monster some of the behavior. And I don't think any of us don't believe the stories that have about these women.
Speaker 3: Too many people saw too many things, and you.
Speaker 1: Could talk about intentions and if they were there because they wanted to and all, but what happened happened awful, awful stuff. Nobody is saying did he is a good dude? But how are we now? And that's what we say, we are torn? How are we supposed to reconcile? I think did he should be in jail for the crimes I've heard described, But at the same time I can be comfortable with the verdict that is going to keep him out of jail for a long long time. That's the torn part of you want the guy to be in jail, but not for what you all charged him for, because it doesn't make sense that a guy who was a Look, I know, the shirts were cute and everything outside, what was it? A Freako is not a Rico some of the T shirts they were selling outside at the jailhouse.
Speaker 3: But that's what that kind of sums it up well.
Speaker 1: In one T shirt, Freeco is not a Rico.
Speaker 2: Wow, And honestly it's catchy and it's true. And I think that's what's feeling off for so many folks. And we can all point fingers here, there and everywhere at who was the bad guy, who was wrong, who did this? And whether or not Cassie and Jane were actual I mean, yes, they were victims of violence, they were victory of assault. But in terms of all of the things the prosecution was trying to prove and say about Didy and his enterprise and his co conspirators and his racketeering and conspiracy charges, that all just felt like a false narrative that they were trying. They were overreaching, They were trying to put this guy away for life.
Speaker 3: Why not just charge him with what he actually did.
Speaker 1: And folks will argue that the victims didn't come forward, they didn't come forward in time, and all of those things. But at the same time, the federal government isn't going to go after Sean Diddy Combs for domestic.
Speaker 2: Violence, then why not the state of Florida, Then why not the state of New York? Then why not the state of California? Where is their responsibility?
Speaker 1: Again, we covered this a whole bunch. Did we hear one report of one person calling the police on Sean Diddy Combs? I think the night of the Kid Cutty incident? Who call he called? It was a break in in my house. I think that was it. But nobody ever, in all the times, all the beatings, and all the people witnessed, nobody ever called the police to say, hey, Sean Combs is over here beating the hell out of his girlfriend. So we talk about now an outrage and people upset and the system has failed. Those jurors failed these women. We started counting when this trial started, how many people failed these women because so many people knew what was happening. From a security guard at a hotel, a security guard's wife even knew what was happening.
Speaker 3: There was a long list, Cassie Ventur's own mother, her mom, nurse, stylist, her makeup artist, and we.
Speaker 1: Want it's this person's fault and this person did it wrong and they got it wrong, and they shouldn't have charged this and that. But there is so much and I hope we do keep talking about it. It's so much responsibility we all bear in all of this, and how we talk about it in joke about baby oil all damn day on social media. It contributes to this atmosphere where become almost to sensitized to what this was. This was a case about monstras' violence against women that became something we couldn't understand from a legal standpoint.
Speaker 2: And further complicating this to your point that no woman, and not even the victims themselves, but all of the people around them who knew who claimed to be in fear of Diddy. And I'm not saying that wasn't true, but that was what they said. That was part of the reason why they didn't come forward. They were afraid of him. And there were people who just wanted to be around him and with him and liked the financial perks that they got from being with him, working for him, or at least being in his circle. So there were a lot of different motivations, but a lot of this is and was, and the only reason why we're talking about it is because of money. Money is the reason why did he end it up in court Because Cassi, even to Refine, filed that lawsuit, and if he had just settled with her before.
Speaker 3: That day went by, the lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Was filed, federal officials got wind of it, saw what she alleged, and then pursued it with an investigation.
Speaker 3: But this was ultimately about money.
Speaker 2: This wasn't about justice, This wasn't about the greater good, This wasn't about making sure that Diddy could never or would never do this to another woman. This was about money. And so that also further complicates this conversation. I know, and I understand how difficult, well I don't understand. I can imagine how difficult it was for Cassi even to refine, to get on that stand and to testify to these horrific things that happened to her and that she participated in. But she would never have been on that stand if she hadn't been seeking money in the first place. And a lot of folks. Then that just draws into question the motivation and.
Speaker 3: Where her complicity lies.
Speaker 2: It just it complicates this whole issue of the me too movement and why women do what they do and when and how and why they come forward. It just it creates I feel like, if anything, things got greater, well things got more confusing.
Speaker 1: Then take that on. If somebody would response to you, who gives a damn? She's a victim because she went through what she went through, even if she didn't come forward as a victim herself. It doesn't take away from and it shouldn't change anything about the conversation.
Speaker 2: I agree that she is a victim regardless, Yes, without a doubt. What it does is it makes it much more difficult in a court to prove anything. And that is the problem. It's about being able to prove something. Unfortunately, it's yes anything, any sort of Look, the assault was not he said, she said.
Speaker 3: It was proven.
Speaker 2: But in terms of coercion, in terms of whether or not she was able to say no, In terms of whether or not she was kidnapped or coerced or forced into doing acts she didn't want to commit, that's all very difficult to prove when it began with a civil lawsuit that involved tens of millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is this is when I thought, man, we should just hit record and start talking, because you pointed this out, and it is for me the point you were just making the biggest what if? Ever? What if when Cassie, even terrified, went to Diddy and said, I have this book. You can buy the rights to it for twenty million dollars, sign an NDA, You'll never hear from me again. If he would have just done that on the spot, she would have been obligated to not speak about it ever publicly. And would we have ever found out about any of this about Sean Diddy Combs.
Speaker 3: I don't believe right now, Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Could he have continued in his monstrous ways and finally messed with the lack of a better term, the wrong woman. Absolutely that's possible. But he had spent decades grooming women, grooming women, picking women who perhaps he found of a certain temperament. I believe he spoke about Cassie. He got them young, he said, she's mouldible. I got her exactly where I want her. So he was grooming women he knew to find them where to find them and at what age perhaps even to find them, so he knew what he was doing. But I think it could possibly have happened years down the line that the wrong you know, he picked the wrong woman who decided to speak up and speak out and wasn't going to take that. But short of that, no, I think he would have been able to keep doing what he was doing. So, yes, I understand you can look at it and say, regardless of how it came to light, regardless if it was about money initially, thank god it did come to light because this man needed to be behind bars, and I.
Speaker 3: Truly believe that. I believe Diddy belongs behind bars.
Speaker 1: But the person at the center of this, and again, this was the point I didn't just stop and think about until you hit me with it a few minutes ago, was Cassievento. Refine did not want this to come out. She did not want the world to find out about Diddy, initially, at least as long as she.
Speaker 2: Got paid, because she didn't want the world to find out what she did and what she participated in. And I understand that, and so how much of it is regret? Yes, again, want to make it crystal clear, it's not okay that she was abused and that she was assaulted, and that's all like, that's not.
Speaker 3: Even up for debate.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the freak offs, in terms of all of that.
Speaker 3: That's.
Speaker 2: That's something that she did participate in, sometimes maybe not willingly but other times yes, And that is in and of itself embarrassing.
Speaker 1: So what has happened now? And I guess it has been the trial that we have now turned to examining the victim. Isn't this what we always complain about that we examine the victim as if their complicated background makes the crimes against them any less egregious. That cannot be the case, and that maybe is a problem in this conversation because so much has been exposed, if you will, about what the girlfriends essentially were getting out of the relationship. Now, one argument can be made they were held hostage. Essentially, they were under his power, and they were coursed as the word continues to be used, but in just generally as a just watching it as a human being, you can't help but think that obviously it played a role in that.
Speaker 2: Of course, And yes, because no matter what the law is, no matter what your jury instructions were from the judge, You're still a human being who's lived a certain amount of experience in life, and you know some of these basic truths that are just within us all, and so that had to have played a role in the jury's decision to not convict Diddy on these more serious charges.
Speaker 3: That's a reasonable doubt, it is, and I agree with it.
Speaker 2: And it's so interesting because, having had now twenty four hours to reflect on the verdicts, I'm actually I'm actually very much like they aren't the charges I would have wished he was facing. But I do think the amount of time he's going to be spending in prison, which will be at least another year beyond the nine months he's already served, I think it would be safe to say, and maybe even a little bit more, you know, say he gets another even two years. There needed to be some sort of consequence and punishment for what he did. I don't know what his time would have been behind bars, to be honest, I don't know what state charges of assault and domestic violence, and I don't think it ever rose to the level of attempted murder, but certainly these were serious violent crimes. I don't know what kind of time he would have been looking at from that kind of a charge, but he he needs to be behind bars. He is a dangerous, violent person who needs to pay for his crimes. Without a doubt, I just don't love what he was charged with, and I don't love what he was convicted with, but I'm okay with the ultimate end of it, with the result of it. I guess that he's behind bars for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: And you just explained the whole in one sentence. There what being torn and this thing means to be happy he's going to jail, to be happy with the verdict, but be unhappy they was charged with this in the first place, to be unhappy that he's not going to jail for longer for doing what we all saw him do.
Speaker 2: It's so who's responsible? I mean, the prosecution has to bear a lot of that responsibility.
Speaker 3: And the question is, now that we've seen what happened in.
Speaker 2: Court, will prosecutors, will federal prosecutors, even state and local dace will they take notes from this case?
Speaker 3: Will they say, hey, let's actually.
Speaker 2: Just understand the jurors are smart, real people who get it, and they understand when we're trumping up charges or we're creating charges to try and get around something.
Speaker 3: To not actually.
Speaker 2: Charge people with what they with the crimes they committed. That would just go a long way. I think people are afraid to do politicians and obviously a lot of these folks are elected officials. But isn't that our biggest complaint. They aren't transparent. They don't say I'm sorry, they don't say what actually is.
Speaker 3: They try to create the.
Speaker 2: Smoke and mirror show, and it kind of treats all of us like we're stupid. And I feel like that's kind of a little bit what happened.
Speaker 1: Here, And apparently twelve people said, hey, we can't be fooled by it. That's I don't know. I just I hate that the conversation is going towards this idea, which is a legitimate one, that this was a loss for women, that this is once again a man getting away with crimes he committed. On the other hand, as an argument, he wasn't charged for the actual trial and we saw him commit. And somewhere in the middle there is this racketeering and this sex trafficking that is just hard, certainly for twelve jurors to reconcile. When I see a domestic abuser, I don't know how he translates to the CEO of a criminal enterprise.
Speaker 3: You just nailed it and that's why we're torn.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, it does feel like some justice was served and just curious, Hey, if you guys want to jump on Amy and TJ podcast our Instagram page, we would love to hear where you all land on this and how you feel about the verdict and wondering if you're just as torn as we are.
Speaker 3: But we appreciate you listening.
Speaker 2: As always, I'm Amy roboch On behalf of my partner t J.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We hope you have a wonderful day and a wonderful holiday on the fourth of July tomorrow