Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Me and M, the British modern luxury clothing label designed for busy women. Founded and designed in London. Me and M is about intelligence style. Much thought and care are put into the design process, so every piece is flattering, functional and made to last forever. Me and M is well known for its trousers and how I got to know the brand. It's my go to for styles that are comfortable enough to wear in the kitchen or the restaurant, also polished enough for meetings. Me and M is available online and its stores across London, Edinburgh, New York. If you're in London, I'd really recommend heading to their beautiful, brand new flagship store in Marlevin, which opens on the twenty ninth of October. Guillermo del Toro in his extraordinary movies Pan Slambermouth, The Shape of Water Pinocchio takes us to his worlds surreal, mystical, sometimes dark. But when he and I met in the River Cafe, my world. We started talking and we didn't really stop for two hours. Connected by a love for Mexican people, Mexican food, and Mexican culture. It's Sunday morning and Geramo and I are together again in the River Cafe to talk about the power of love and trust, understanding monsters as gentle and peaceful. When we're done, I'll know more about trust, I'll know more about food. But most of all, I hope i'll know more about Guillermo, my magical and magnificent friend.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, my learning.
Speaker 1: I make it good. So what we do now is we read. You chose a recipe. This was pizza with tledgio artichoke. Yes, you read the recipe, then we'll have our conversation.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a recipe for pizza with the legio artichokes improcudo. It serves six six by twenty five centimeters pizza dough into balls, rolled out six small artichokes, two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, one bunch of thyme, four hundred grams of to ledio cheese roughly got ryan removed, and three hundred grams of prescudo thinly slice.
Speaker 2: This is what you need to make this now white the ledo.
Speaker 1: We like to legends in northern cheese. It melts very beautifully and it has a kind of saltiness that you know that is a contrast almost to the doughiness of pizza. I mean, we love pizza with mozzarella. We love pizza. I think today he might be doing a pizza with cork and sola and figs. But this to led you, I'd like you to try it because it has a saltiness and a kind of slightly surprising when you have it. You order pizza at the River Cafe and you get a very thin crust and then you get the layer of to ledgo nice.
Speaker 3: So you know how to make it is in a heavy bottom band, heat the olive oil, add the art heart sometime could the hearts, turning them for about ten minutes. Heavy bottom pan is important because.
Speaker 1: Because it distributes the heat in the distribute. You use a thin pan, you'll get some pieces that burnt, some pieces that are not cooked. And it's better to invest in a good saucepan and keep it for the rest of your life. Stainless steel is important. Aluminum thin pads too much.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I know a little about this because when I was a young man, for about ten years I studied and did make up effects, makeup effects, special makeup effects. And when you cook the latex, the foam latex, you have to design the oven with heavy walls of real iron or like expensive iron to distribute the heat.
Speaker 1: So what do you do with the latex?
Speaker 3: You cook it, you make it, you form it using you know, three or four parts, and then as you cook they ventilate. But the latex take is curing for decades. It doesn't stop. It's quite a quite an alchemy anyway, not late this remove the pan and cool right dot the pieces of the leado over rolled out pizza vases scatter the artist chokes are over and then season nice baking the preheat oven until the door is cooked crispy and the cheese is melted if you like her, with a slice of proscutta laid over the top of the pizza.
Speaker 2: This is like the kama.
Speaker 1: Do you want a pizza?
Speaker 2: I would like to try this?
Speaker 1: Can we ask for pizza to come? It's not what you today, It's with gorganzole and fig What would you want to do you want to let you? They can make you whatever you want?
Speaker 2: Is it like.
Speaker 1: Do you want? Do you want what you prefer? The okay? Can you ask them to make it? To let your precuto pizza?
Speaker 2: I like it?
Speaker 1: God yourself oiled. Well, I mean honestly, not many people get to choose the pizza they want.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you know what happened.
Speaker 1: I like spoiling people. That's why I like having a restaurant. People always say, what do you say, Ruth? In a restaurant? You know what I say to say yes? Yes, somebody wants something, Say yes. It makes life easy.
Speaker 2: Do you say you never hear yeah, you'll never hear me say no to that restaurant.
Speaker 1: But even when you're working, don't you think if you can say yes, well it's funny, you have to say no funny?
Speaker 2: Ye? Do you say that?
Speaker 3: Because I have described the role of a director, I say there are directors that are hosts and directors that are guests.
Speaker 2: There are directors that like to be.
Speaker 3: Served by every department, and there are directors, which is my case, that I'd like to host every department to deliver their best and coach them, coach them and coordinate them into an orchestra.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Host as you, and I think the universal rule that is without flow true is when people say, how would you define somebody being rich? It's not what you have is how much you can give? Right, So hosting is actually the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself, and at the same time, it's a paradox is the most selfless and most selfish thing you can do because you are ultimately giving, but you get in return. It's really a very simple cosmic law.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I often think that I have the best job in the world.
Speaker 2: Now you do.
Speaker 1: I come in here and hopefully after two hours people will leave feeling better than when they arrived. Because people you never know. It's like making sure you'd ever know if the person on that table has just been fired, or it's just had a baby, or it's just had bad news. Good news, was fired by the baby, maybe fired by a baby baby.
Speaker 2: When they take to what did it take my baby fired me give me a double you can.
Speaker 1: Say to the baby, what would you do if you were a baby?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the baby would say I would poop my pants and then cry, which which right away is a great thing recommended. I thought it would be good to bring you things from my hometown or my region.
Speaker 2: Let me let me, let's have the but I'll explain what this is.
Speaker 1: Somebody open the box.
Speaker 3: Butter skirt, this is this is from the same state that the.
Speaker 2: Kila comes from.
Speaker 3: It's called Sahula, and Sahula was the place my father used to go to hunt. They would go in the summers. They would hunt for large geese and dogs and all that. I hated it because I hate it because you know, I don't like hunting. I don't like anybody killing an animal. I was a very thin and frail little boy, you know. And and they once or twice they forgot me while they were hunting. So I was left behind for several hours. And one time without boots, I worked and a thorny mud the landscape for about three hours.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And my father family and said, don't tell your mother. I said, what happened?
Speaker 2: That is I forgot my god, which I think I've been in treatment for two days on that alone. That they were.
Speaker 3: But the good thing about that region was this butter scotch or this is a coheta. But this is a recipe that a family, the Lugo family, which still makes it. In nineteen fifteen, they started making because they were short of cash and they the matron of the family remembered that when she worked for a very rich family of Spanish origin, they made this duel said a legend. This cageta, right, and it was basically milk, eggs, vanilla sugar.
Speaker 1: I think so many cultures have Spanish crem caramel. You know, the French have a creme.
Speaker 2: The Cuban maker fantastic one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is the exact same recipe from nineteen fifteen. Is this, and they burn it at the end, so it's caramelized at the end. I'm gonna, I'm gonna take the first bite.
Speaker 2: But you take it. I can give you this. And this was a good part of going hunting with my dad.
Speaker 1: Oh, they would take this.
Speaker 2: It would find me one of these.
Speaker 1: So when you have this, what do you think of being in the fields with the kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a kid, and the hard thing is to stop.
Speaker 1: This is so good. No, give it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna, I'm gonna grab a little more.
Speaker 1: You know what's so good about it? It's very it's not very sweet.
Speaker 3: No, it's not very sweet, and it's completely natural good. And the fact that it comes in this little wooden box, handmade, is so beautiful beautiful.
Speaker 1: Tell me about me about the food from your region. Other foods from well Mexico's wahaka that you've never had because you lived in it.
Speaker 3: Like like there are many regions where, for example, their signature is there how they riff on molay, you know, so like Wahaka has the black molly, and Puebla has the more the one that is more naughty, you know. And then there is Pepian which is the pumpkin seed molley. And but my my hometown or my region doesn't have so much sophistication.
Speaker 2: We have a great gold barbecue called Beria. You know. We have a go yeah, go Barbie. I eat it. They cook it now they do it.
Speaker 3: In ament on the earth and all that, and then for a long long time with leaves and so forth. But the other thing is we have a very hearty soup of oval called menudo. Not really not not in we have we have a large the largest lake in Mexico, Lake Chappella. When I was a child and we would go there in the seas, we would wake up really early, like four thirty five am and go fishing with a net.
Speaker 1: I love the butterscotch. It's very very good.
Speaker 2: You like it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you take it wherever you go?
Speaker 2: No? I wanted to bring it with you.
Speaker 1: That if you're filming somewhere. I'm sure that you have the kind of food that you love.
Speaker 3: I love not really, but in this case, a friend came to visit a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Do you like staying in people's houses or do you like that people?
Speaker 2: I hate that too. I hate that. I can't.
Speaker 3: I never feel comfortable no matter how close I am to the person.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up with my brothers and my brothers, my older brother, every time anyone used the toilet, he would kick the door open and scream. So I have to be completely privacy.
Speaker 1: And he did not want anybody.
Speaker 2: No, no, he liked to scare people. Oh I see, Yeah, that was my older brother. He would.
Speaker 3: Now he's in Texas, you know the he makes cars, he restores cars. Yeah, he's a great guy. And we were talking about regional food. And the thing is I lived in Texas. I've been in Texas many many times over the years, hundreds of times. And I lived in Texas a few years after the kidnapping of my dad.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm sorry, So where is your father now?
Speaker 3: My father died, but many many years after the kidnam he came back.
Speaker 2: He survived, he thrived, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and you know, no, it's like being lost in the on the hunting trip, isn't well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not anymore.
Speaker 3: I actually understand perfectly that it's a cycle and if you are not good with any part of the cycle, don't get in life.
Speaker 2: Life has the ups and the downs.
Speaker 1: And you can't I mean yeah. But when you say don't get in, I mean.
Speaker 3: No, you know, like like like if you if you're injureds for the good part you're gonna It's a completely silly attitude to have with life.
Speaker 1: But think that also comes from your culture of Day of the Dead.
Speaker 2: We're very happy about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I'm very happy knowing like I can make a prediction and I packed filmhouse and say everybody in this film house is going to die.
Speaker 2: And another that I'm being mean is just the fact.
Speaker 3: So let's say that you're board a train or a boss that says death. You can't complain when it gets to the destination.
Speaker 1: But the person who's died, but this is another conversation, but the people who left behind. You've had grief, you missed your father, you said, it's taken me a long time.
Speaker 3: Rick said that death is like stupidity. It doesn't affect the person having it. You only are people that are around.
Speaker 1: And it does, doesn't it. So you can say it's fine and it's part of life and it's it. But the person who's left and you know it, and I know, I know it's it's not easy, is it.
Speaker 2: No, it is, it isn't.
Speaker 3: But you know, the culture when I was a kid, death was so near all the time. It's simply you would be walking on a street and somebody would get shot. When I was going out on a day, I don't.
Speaker 1: We just stopped there. Why would somebody walk down?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of guns. There's a lot of guns ever since.
Speaker 1: I can't remember when you were talking how many years ago.
Speaker 2: No, any year, you take a break.
Speaker 3: And there's a famous anecdote of Louis Monoel going to Mexico and noticing everybody had a gun, and he went to the Minister of Culture. I said, I'm surprised how many people. The only people that don't have a gun is you and me, And the guy said.
Speaker 2: Speak for yourself. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, my dad, when we would go out on Saturday night, he would say, don't forget your gun. Really, yeah, I mean I adore my country about all things. But part of the language is violence. It is part of that. And you can substract the good with the bat when you talk about Italy, when you talk about countries that are capable of great sentimental outbursts, are capable of great violence too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It is the thing that I find curious now is when you discuss anything, it seems to be that we can only accept the mammalian sweet side of our nature and not the territorial, the predatorial, the savage side of being a primate of sorts. You have to understand that all those things are going to be expressed. And the more you push the topper we're down trying to keep them in, the more they're gonna spill through the sides.
Speaker 1: Well, you could also say that we are we are animals, but we are evolving. We're better than agg Wells.
Speaker 3: In the island of doctor moraw and I'm gonna paraphrase, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but he said he watched the animals. This caused the law, and he said, and every time they mentioned the law, they would mention something that suppressed something that was essential to their names. He says, they're in a nutshell is mankind, you know. And I think that the thing is if you have an open discussion and a tacit or open agreement about behavior, that's the social contract we all live in. And within that social contract there are real spiritual rewards at being good, and I have no doubt there are a spiritual punishment for not being good.
Speaker 1: What do you what would that be?
Speaker 3: I think that you one hundred percent attract what you are if you give your receive. The laws are very simple, you know. One simple simple law is, if you aren't happy, you're thinking about yourself. If you're happy, you're thinking about others. It's very simple and it sounds like a Chinese cookie and nugget, but it's from litrue. When I talk to my kids, I say, you want to be happy, think about what you can do for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up with your parents this way? Did you come to this yourself to yes to your parents being this way?
Speaker 2: Or yes? No?
Speaker 3: I think I think if my friends were going in different directions. But I like my mother was very much into the you know, in all the hermetic laws, and she was sort of a white witch, and you know, she read the taro for me and taught me how to read the tarol blah blah blah. She was very very interesting in a spirit. But I think eventually you realize that these are very simple truths. I mean, it's like when you were young when you say, if I managed to be out of debt and have twenty thousand in the bank, I'll be done.
Speaker 2: Then you do that and you.
Speaker 3: Say if I managed to get a handred in the bank and a house, and so I'll be fine, And then you keep going, and the more you need, the less you have. My father won the lottery in nineteen sixty nine, and he immediately moved the whole family to a house that was the most part of the block. And I could go in the town and I could go for weeks magically finding food in the fridge and never sing a living person for weeks. I would arrive at midnight. Nobody would be there saying what were you doing out so late? Nobody would say good morning. I would ride my bicycle in the house like Danny in the shining, you know, nobody would be there. And I came to a very simple role. If if you cannot say, honeywere are my shoes? And somebody heard you was to be that's.
Speaker 1: A good lue, that's the honeywaere am I?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How old were you when he won the lottery? I was about four, So you didn't know life before that?
Speaker 2: What was I did? I did I have a what.
Speaker 1: Was life before the lottery?
Speaker 2: My mother and father.
Speaker 3: My mother came from a family that you know, was very, very rooted in the region. The name was, you know, one of the founding names of the city. And she had about she had. The dowry was about six or seven houses that they gave her in a row, and my father used that to create a car salesmanship. But we lived in a middle class home. I remember my mother used to grab the matches came with a little landscape printed in the back, and she would turn them around and glue them to.
Speaker 2: A little frame and would hang them on the wall. You know. It was a very My mother was a very good cook, so she would cook.
Speaker 3: She would cook back then, and I remember the change when the lottery came.
Speaker 2: It was a big, big change.
Speaker 1: How much did you wind in the lottery?
Speaker 2: He won six million dollars in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: Wow, which was buying a lottery ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, he bought it with other pe about the whole series, the whole the whole sheep, and the other people lost their money and my father kept.
Speaker 2: It the decades.
Speaker 1: I mean he kept the money that.
Speaker 3: Most of the people that win the lottery lose the money.
Speaker 2: My father was one of the guys that managed.
Speaker 1: Did you all eat together in the evening? Did you have a cook?
Speaker 3: Depends on what decade, and it is very in my generation. All the kids married and had houses within three blocks of their parents' house, and you ate with your parents three four times a week, always on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Even if you weren't living in the house.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter. You came home. It was always your home.
Speaker 3: After lunch, all the women would go to one room and the men would go to another room and take a cs.
Speaker 1: The River Cafe Cafe, our all day space and just steps away from the restaurant, is now open. In the morning an Italian breakfast with cornetti, chiambella and crostada from our pastry kitchen. In the afternoon, ice creamed coops and River Cafe classic desserts. We have sharing plates Salumi, misti, mozzarella, brisquetto, red and yellow peppers, Vitello Tonato and more. Come in the evening for cocktails with our resident pianist in the bar. No need to book see you here. If we were going back to the days of the review the pizza, there we go. What do you think it's good? Do you want any of you guys want some pizza? Anybody over there? It's a good cheese, isn't it. It has a kind of mild but it also this might be quite salty because it has.
Speaker 2: So wood.
Speaker 1: I'm really interested about your father, the lottery, the change in the way that you still ate very local foods. And then when you left home. How old were you actually when you left or did you ever leave home? Or did you live just around the corner in one of those houses?
Speaker 2: I know I was very very fast to leave home.
Speaker 1: How old were you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I am about fifteen, maybe sixteen fifteen sixteen. I started doing makeup, effects and effects and storyboards and all that, and I would sleep in my office.
Speaker 1: What did you eat that?
Speaker 2: I cook? Horrible? What I mean?
Speaker 3: You could buy a good roasted chicken and it will last you the week. Yeah, but cooking, I'm a terrible cook.
Speaker 1: Did it ever interest you to cook for yourself? Yes?
Speaker 2: But that's the.
Speaker 3: Difference with an interest and talent. It includes dancing and cooking.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree, And also I don't think it's important. If you don't want to cook, you don't have to.
Speaker 3: By the way, there is there is a lot of wisdom.
Speaker 2: In knowing how to eat how to eat. Yeah, I mean I think it's what is.
Speaker 1: The wisdom of knowing how to eat well?
Speaker 3: It's like a good conversation, isn't it. I mean, you want to listen.
Speaker 1: What is a pizza telling you well?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 3: For example, one of the things I value and I think is it has a molecular explanation. There are two things that I love in food. One is when something is slight slightly burned, and I mean burned, not caramelized, no, no, no fancy terms.
Speaker 2: Burned.
Speaker 3: If the dois has little black spots of where it burned a little more thorough. That bitterness makes a lot for the flavor. This crust is great for me. It's thin, it has parts that are really black and and crunchy and carbonized in a great way that distributes the flavor differently. And I talked to a chef friend of mine and I was talking about reheated food. I said, why is it bad? And he said, well, there depends on the food. So some foods concentrate and they're good. But most food loses all these qualities after cooking. But certain soups and certain things with heavy sauces, they can concentrate over over. And one thing when my family was in that big house, a delicious thing for me, and it still is. It's like vicious walls of beans because it does the fancy term for cold beans in my fridge, you know, but it was really really good. You blended it, you blended the beans and it came like a very thick, vicious wild, very delicious, and you know, but all they were the cold beans nobody wanted.
Speaker 1: A fond son and mutual friend of ours told me that in Mexico, and he's made films about this that well. He said that in the United States, when you had wealth, you got bigger, you had a bigger house, a bigger kitchen, a bigger refridge, writer, a bigger car. And in Mexico, when you had wealth, you had more domestic people kept the house, small, small kitchen, small house, but you had more people working iron in that was that the case in your.
Speaker 3: Case, when in the case of my father, the house got bigger and we got a lot of people had both yeah, and but he he made it a point to raise the kids blue collar. Like if you wanted money, he would say, what are you going to do for me? Like I wanted a toy, he said, save my older brother. One says, One said, oh, but you know we I shouldn't happen because we're rich. On my first at Amorridge, you're not, and neither are your brothers.
Speaker 1: It's like back to I want to know why Louis but Well was in Mexico? Did he shoot a movie in Mexico?
Speaker 2: When you escaped?
Speaker 3: Right around the Francoira he went to I believe he went to New York first. I think he came into a really bad situation with Theli and I think Dali was very pro Franko, very profascist, and he hated Bunuel. They started together, but he hated him and he was fired from his position in New York because of Deli. And I think years later he encountered Ali on the street and he punched them, and Bunuel had said very famously he said to his friends, he said, if I disappeared.
Speaker 2: Look everywhere from me except Mexico.
Speaker 3: And he ended up in Mexico because there was a very strong colony of intellectual you know, left wing Marxist intellectuals, and Bunuel landed. He started making movies there and he stayed there the rest of his life. And he ran a very conservative household. He was very wild in his mind, but in his every day he was Don Louise.
Speaker 2: He was a very.
Speaker 3: He ran a very Catholic Yeah, yeah, very you know. Yeah, the kids needed to be home at nine. He was a very jealous man. He won the traditional roles in his family. The wife stayed at home. He went and earned a breath. It was a very interesting paradox. Such a great filmmaker, incredible filmmaker. I mean, I think that the thing with filmmaking is your paradox is what gives you your vocabulary. People have this word vision, and I think it's a hostage negotiation with reality.
Speaker 2: Filmmaking is not dictating.
Speaker 3: Filmmaking is negotiating an image or a moment with the actors, with reality, with the sun, with the light, with the color, you know, and it's a complete dialogue with what is happening in front of you.
Speaker 2: Is an active.
Speaker 3: Is not a dictatorial position?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 3: Is the dialogue with reality produces art.
Speaker 1: And the collaboration with other people people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that film is a very social and I think that for people, you have a filmography for you is part of your biography. You neglect family, you neglect friends, you neglect everything, and in exchange you get a family of Andred and twenty people for twelve twenty weeks, and you have to treat that those people like family, and.
Speaker 1: Then you say goodbye to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it's carnival. It's a carnival.
Speaker 3: You will meet them in another town down the road in another season, and you have to accept it like that. You know, Carneys the tradition and a carnival. Most of the people were outlaws because they were running from there around so they would they would say, look, I cannot go to that town. I'll see you three towns down because I'm wanted in that town because I was a burglar or a shop lifter or whatever.
Speaker 2: And they would skip a town.
Speaker 3: The carney is called each other other mo, how are you?
Speaker 2: Because they didn't want anyone to hear their real names.
Speaker 1: And is that like what is it like on a film?
Speaker 3: He's very you know William Friedkin, he used to call everybody in the head mo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know somebody who was another film director always called everybody darling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that was very common.
Speaker 3: That was like darling, Oh my darling, what's my name? I don't know darling?
Speaker 1: It was, it was it was Richard Attenborough apparently he always called everyone very theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very theater.
Speaker 1: Well, you meet a lot of people, with a lot of people. You have to when you're writing your films. Before when you're alone in the room, if you are writing, do you write by yourself?
Speaker 2: I tried to.
Speaker 3: Reality is sometimes I like association because it takes care of even if you don't like what is being written, you know how you corrected and it becomes active. The loneliness of the the page is very, very difficult.
Speaker 2: But there are movies. For example, this Frankenstein I could not co write with anyone.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about Frank It's like Pans Labyrinth.
Speaker 3: I couldn't co write it with anyone. I couldn't explain what I wanted. Pans Labyrinth. It took me six months to find the opening image, and once I found the opening image. I understood the whole movie, and I wrote it in six weeks or nine weeks, something really quick. With Frankenstein. I wrote the opening fifteen pages, and the studio said, how is it going. It's fantastic because I started writing that movie the idea for more than twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought, this is what I'm going to do. Yeah, and you laid the plan.
Speaker 3: And then I wrote those fifteen pages, and I stopped until I collected. I put the novel on the on the computer, the entire novel, and I started taking every paragraph that I liked and then discarding the ones that I thought I had absorbed, until I have nothing on the page again. So he went through a novel that way, and then I wrote, But it took it took a while. It took a while too, And.
Speaker 1: That brings us to a monster.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I know it's probably an anathematic for you to mention, but you know mel Brooks's I love it, you know, and one thing that one of the great do you think? So I'm so pleased you say that because I did a podcast with mel No it's ninety eight now, and for me, one of the beautiful things about Young Frankenstein was of course the singing, the songs and the humor, but was also there was nobody in that that whole trajectory that was a bad person. No, you know everyone, there's no villain, you know. And the the loneliness of Frankenstein, you know, and the and the creature when he just sits on that rock. And so I'm glad you liked that, So tell me about you. Why do you think it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: It is not a pastiche It was something that was very dear to Jim Wilder first, and then to Jim Wilder and mel Brooks second. Uh is not based so much on Bride or the original Frankstin is based much more on Son of Frankenstein, which, in my opinion, is one of the great movies. It is a very very good movie that few people know that the origin of the of the assistant's name being igor in the Original of Frankenstein is called Fritz you know. But Son of Frankenstein is a really interesting movie. It was done by a director that was an improvisation on director. He didn't want to be to stick to the screenplay, so he would I don't want to lie you know. It's the last movie where a card of plays the monster. And the director would come in the morning and and say, well, what am we gonna do.
Speaker 2: Let's try this, Let's try that.
Speaker 3: The movie went overbodyed, over schedule, but the result is very creative, incredibly visual vela Lugosi who was.
Speaker 2: Down on his luck.
Speaker 3: He was out of money, and Universal didn't want to pay him well at all, and the director said, don't worry, I'll keep you around. And he kept him around for months. And the movie is one of the three masterpieces that includes many of the part The wardrobe that Jim Wilder has is from that movie, The man with the wooden arm, the constable is from that movie. Many many of the things are from that movie. And the score of Young Frankenstein is one of the great most melancholic.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: You know. The composer Morris, he composed two of the most melancholic, longing scores in the history of movies, The Elephant Man and Young Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: I haven't when they had it here in the West End in London, and I know mel So we went, you know, together, and I went, but I think I took almost everyone who worked here. I felt kind of. I just wanted to take everyone to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny, but it's not is making. It's so affectionate and affectionate.
Speaker 1: So tell me about your Frankenstein.
Speaker 3: Well, but you know, there are certain tales that grow with you and they become you, and then you can you know, it's like a great song.
Speaker 2: You know, you sing on your range.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants to sing out of their range, and there are two or three you know, everybody gets.
Speaker 2: Up and you don't want to do karaoke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and that's why I love John Frankenstan He's not karaoke.
Speaker 2: It's a new song by the boys.
Speaker 3: You haven't heard about a thing that is universal, and I can say that that's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: What is universal?
Speaker 3: Well, there are certain characters that are about ten twenty characters in the history of.
Speaker 2: Mankind's narrative at our universe. I'll tell you. For example.
Speaker 3: You know, these are characters that, even if you haven't read the book, you know what they mean. Dracula instantly, Sherlock Holmes instantly, Tarzan, Pinocchio, Frankenstein. There are very few. The Count of Monte Cristo. You now, you know the basics, no matter if you haven't read it. You know comment Christians about revenge, you know, Pinocchio wants to be human, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. So these few characters become the vocabulary of humanity in the same way that certain symbols are common to all humanity.
Speaker 2: Dragons. All cultures have dragons.
Speaker 3: The theory behind it anthropologically is that people combine the predators, the mammals fear the most an eagle and a lizard like a large alligator, and they combined them and they became an object of fear vampirism. Not every culture, but most of them have it. Ghosts. So these are the vocabulary of humanity. And when that character is that big, it can be rephrased and it changes value. What do I mean by that? Romeo and Juliet, right, there is a huge premise. I told you Romeyan and Juliet. You say I've seen it. I said, no, no, no, no, no, wait, it's an aphavela in Brazil. I haven't seen it in nineteen sixty five, the year that they you know. And then the specifics bring down the register of the song and change the modulation of the song. And all of a sudden the song is new. That happens if a thing is that personal to you and it's the same. For example, most people say I love singing in the Ring and I love that song, and you say, yes, say it and they know it, but they don't know that this was the third or fourth time that song had been in a movie since the thirties, know, and it had never quite catched on the wave called Jim Kelly. So in creating something like Binocchio or Frankenstein, these are things that have been absorbed more likeularly by me. And when I sing them, I hope you haven't heard that song, you know, that's the way you got it. If you didn't have anything to add, don't get up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we can as a person in the audience, we long as you said, to hear the different you know you're Frankenstein. If you like listening to Ruthie's Table for would you please make sure to rate and review the podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts O wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you. But when you wake up in the morning, do you think about what you're going to eat that day? Or when you like.
Speaker 3: One of the things I adore, but it's very, very hard to find truly truly expressive is eggs. I think eggs are one of the things that tell you the culture of the country. The French eggs are amazing, the best eggs in my opinion. Spanish, you know, Japanese eggs are Japanese eggs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're talking about the way they cook the eggs.
Speaker 3: No, you're talking about the quality. All is either musical and beautiful or dour. And I must say, and you have to guide me in here. I haven't had an interesting dialogue with UK eggs.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's been very, very.
Speaker 1: Very We could try and set up that dialogue, but it is, you know, it's very tower I think, yeah, we'll try. What about the United States? I mean, you know that's really if we're going to go for culture and eggs, we have to say, have you had an omelet in New York or no?
Speaker 3: That's because look, there is one of the most intimate foods.
Speaker 1: Right an egg and egg. Well, let's talk about.
Speaker 2: It comes from the chicken. It does the whole being of the chicken going into it. Here we go, and if the chicken is.
Speaker 3: Unhappy and sad, and you know whatever it is, the egg is a really depressing egg.
Speaker 1: So what do you do for eggs?
Speaker 2: I got to friends or wait for to get lucky and go to Spain, to.
Speaker 1: Spain, and this is why I had really good eggs in Mexico. You know, there's the wavos divorces, wavos rancheros, there's wos Mexicana. There's there's so many ways.
Speaker 2: Is a poem?
Speaker 1: Can you tell the audience what it is?
Speaker 2: How kill is? What you do is you chobolic tortilla.
Speaker 3: It can be either dry or fresh, and then you soak it in a really good salta with onion, garlic, tomato, salt, and you soak it until the until the chili killos are soggy, gets soggy again. But it has to be the perfect balance. Can be too soggy, can be too dry. I don't like crisp chilla killis. They had to be slightly soggy, and then you put them on a plate. You put cream, cheese and a fried egg on top and a side of fried beans.
Speaker 2: We have them, and that's for me to be. That's what I miss the most.
Speaker 1: Can make that? Where do you live?
Speaker 2: Mostly Los Angeles?
Speaker 3: Uh and part part of the time in Toronto, and you cannot get chila killers in Toronto.
Speaker 2: If you held the Prime Minister for.
Speaker 3: Ransom, you can l a oh my lord, Yes you can.
Speaker 1: Have cream chili sauce. Isn't it.
Speaker 3: Antillo so as you're gonna have domentillo, so so you're gonna have red tomato sauce. But in La I can have every great Mexican food I need every day if I want to, and I often do.
Speaker 1: When we think about food, we think about you know what we were saying about sharing about your parents, whay you cooked at home, about the power of deciding. And it's also seduction. And I think in the shape of water, what really moved me was the scene with the egg. You know, when the beautiful woman is holding the It's just a simple boiled egg, isn't it. It's just an egg. Tell me about that scene. Can you describe that scene? Because it is an almost it's insane. Come to me, isn't it saying I will get this creature from the water. That could be frightening, that could be scary with an egg, you know, and you can see that the creature is coming out of the water and not entirely, but entirely.
Speaker 3: Tell me that the one thing I do every week is I hard boiled eggs. That's my my dietary supplement is And the only thing I cook is hard boiled eggs, and I do it perfectly.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me how do you cook a hardboiled egg?
Speaker 3: Well, the way I like them is you boil the water for fifteen minutes until it's really really really hot, and then you put the eggs and you let it simmer.
Speaker 1: Do you turn off then heat? You keep it simmering.
Speaker 3: You keep it simmering for another fifteen and then you turn it off, but leave them there. Yeah, and then you grab one and you roll it and if you can take the shell out in one single move, then that they're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: And I do it every week with twenty thirty every week, and the first two days you don't want to open the fridge because it's.
Speaker 2: Melt like a boiled egg. But and Kim hates it. She goes, oh my god, you're boiling egs.
Speaker 3: Go yeah, sorry, but that's my favorite sort of pocket food, so to speak.
Speaker 1: And so when you did that scene, I'm.
Speaker 2: The fish.
Speaker 3: Of all I belong in water I'm I'm a great swimmer, good scuba diver. If I am in water all day long, I'm happy. But also the egg is a symbol of two things, fertility and immortality, right, And I think there was a beautiful courtship, very succinct thing with her being represented by the egg. And you know she you know, the movie opens with her putting a timer in the shape of an egg and she has three minutes to find pleasure in the bathtub before going.
Speaker 2: To work, you know. And it's a symbol of what is eternal.
Speaker 3: And for me in the movie is you find people of relative values except her, that are social values. The guy wants power, the bad guy wants power, The Americans want to win the space race, this and that. And you find a creature that is a god, and then they chain it, they to operate upon it. They want to kill it, they want to make it submissive, they want to make it a thing.
Speaker 2: And then at the end.
Speaker 3: It's revealed he is a god. So the eternal of the egg was at play. There's a many's. The way I tried to layer the movies is you don't have to read them the way I write them, but I write them very carefully in terms of symbols or organizing the colors and the things to mean something that doesn't mean. You have the obligation of reading it that way. And that is very much like cooking and eating. When you are an audience member in a movie theater or in a museum with a piece of painting, you can see the piece of painting and say I like it or I don't like it, and then you move on to the next one.
Speaker 2: If you are an educated you have an educated balette.
Speaker 3: You learn to see the composition, the brushstrokes, the color balance, the point of view, the thematic elements, the rendition, et cetera, et cetera, and have a dialogue with a painting for an hour two hours, depending on your level of sort of balete sophistication. Same is true with a movie.
Speaker 1: But I say that my husband was an architect, and many of my film friends are filmmakers, And I say, you create a work of art and it lasts forever. You know, if somebody doesn't like your building today, they might understand it in a week's time, or year's time or ten years time. Or if you make a movie and it got bad reviews, then we might all understand it. It makes a work of art, and it's like in five minutes and it's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think it's I don't think if ever gone. I don't think it's ever gone. A memory, especially if it has a heavy cheese, it never leaves.
Speaker 3: No, No, let's talk about that, because I do think I have had a few meals in my lifetime that are as cherished for me as family memory.
Speaker 2: And I'm not excited. I'm not being hyperbolic. I mean it.
Speaker 3: I remember very particularly there was a soup in Albui and north of Barcelona that was for many years the most famous restaurant in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, one time we went the last night last night they were open for the season, and one of the dishes which made me cry, it was a soup or potato three ways. That was like you were eating a souper potato that was your grandma, grandma's if she was a chemical engineer. I'm a molecular engineer. So there was a molecular density to it that was completely It filled you, it moved you with caress you, it comford you, and I cried. I am not making this up. I'm not trying to be interesting for the podcast. I cried and it reminded me of my childhood. It was a full rattuy moment. And at the end of the night they said, well and they they served the dessert once a crab of crem which means that they made a film. You know how the milk creates that film on top that is just cream, like a skin of cream. They would use that to make a crap that was filled with another cream. And they were closer and I said, did any of those get left behind?
Speaker 2: And they said about twenty.
Speaker 3: And they brought them to the table and we dispose of the cref the cream and it.
Speaker 1: Was brilliant, genius, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Yeah, food is memory. And so when you make a movie, and I do want to talk for a few minutes just about lovable monsters, because that is something that is very important to me because it tells the lesson of life about how you love something as you say the other But let's just get to the process of making a film and food. Do you care about what you feed the people who work on your set? And do you mind stuck up at lunchtime for stopping work?
Speaker 3: I don't I don't like it, like when you do it in Spain. For example, if you should have moved in Spain, there will be wine involved. Yeah, and that means that the hour after the lunch is going to start really really slow, and then you quite never quite recuperate, you know, but if you do it.
Speaker 2: My favorite is what they call French howers.
Speaker 1: French howers. I've learned about French hours.
Speaker 3: Ten hours, ten hours of work and that's it. You concentrate. There's food on the set.
Speaker 2: But that's it.
Speaker 1: Where are you on it? Have you finished filming it?
Speaker 2: Now? I finished Friday. I finished shooting.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. Are you going home? Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You stayed for this?
Speaker 1: No? And so when will you be back?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Depend on the ta kila, okay, but but I am in post production.
Speaker 2: I caught every day.
Speaker 1: Where will you edit it?
Speaker 2: I will finish anything in la and then yeah.
Speaker 1: And do you eat when you're editing? You know?
Speaker 2: Yes? And no?
Speaker 3: I mean I have a coffee with whatever is there. Yeah, And I have bowls and bowls of tangerines.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I eat the tangerines with the peel, and with the peel, I wash them and the peel is so good.
Speaker 1: It is good. I sometimes eat the fruit and then I go back to the peel. Never kind of crunch.
Speaker 3: In Mexico weed the caramelized fruit, and I love lemons in Mexico.
Speaker 1: How often do you go back to Mexico?
Speaker 3: I used to go a lot, and now my my well, my parents are dead, and I don't like every time I land, I feel really lonely.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really difficult for me.
Speaker 1: Even knowing that they took the train.
Speaker 3: And they went on, it doesn't matter because because to me, the the parents and the kids leave a hole in the universe. Basically part of the universe just caeesars to exist, and there's no way you can process. That is tatanmic, you know, to the point where if you lose a kid, there's no word for you. There's no one you know, if you lose her husband or a wife, you're a widow. Or if you lose her parents, would you lose a kid, you are you are undescribably destroyed. So you know, the thing with my parents is I didn't know my father died, and I process did reasonably well, and then when my mother died, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I won't to do, but I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Mexico City is on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, we should go. The food is incredible, the art is amazing.
Speaker 2: One of the great cities of the world, I think. So.
Speaker 1: People sometimes ask me where you'd like to live other than London, expect me to say an Italian city. For me, Mexico. It was really powerful to me.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: As a kid from a provincial city, which my city was a provincial city. I still get a thrill going to Mexico City. Still on the mornings. The smell of the mornings in Mexico City with the wet streets.
Speaker 2: Is incredible.
Speaker 1: I don't think people realize how green Mexico City. That's the thing that really hit me was how green a city was. The trees. I couldn't see the sky sometimes.
Speaker 2: And it's a.
Speaker 3: City that is patterned after after Paris, you know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, during the Porphyrio ideas period, the model was Paris, the Heisman's Osmond's Paris with the large boulevards and the big buildings, you know, and the biggest artes and the Reformer.
Speaker 2: And all that Reformer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you had to think of a food that when you were needing comfort, not when you're hungry, not when you want to celebrate, not when you want something to eat for your kids. Is there something that gives you comfort?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's such a cliche. Refried beans beans?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it a cliche?
Speaker 2: It is a little bit. I have it.
Speaker 3: I mean it's to me, and they are not one thing like there are at least ten ways of have a refright being. Tell me one way that I like that. I only drive ones in a in a little stand in Mexico City. Is they mix them with lentils. Lentils and refraed beans together. And it was so fantastic. If you try it in the restaurant, call them beans.
Speaker 1: Okay, we will, We'll call the beans. Thank you. It was a beautiful interview.
Speaker 2: Well, darling, darling, thank you. Oh god, you get you get? Yeah, No, I'll have a lunch. Why are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Do we have more glasses? Come? You have some more? Do your guys want in tequila?