Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Thursday. It's gonna be busy because at the end of the hour, Fritzy and Marvin will get pies to the face. I'm trying to remember the bet, Fritzy. Was this a Broncos related bet? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That they I don't know if they were gonna do better than another team or a certain number of games they needed to win, or they had to win a playoff game, whatever it was, it was Broncos.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, what about you pie to the face?
Speaker 4: Because Chuck and Queen's bet me on Saint John's versus ukon first game, and I didn't realize Saint Johns was as good as they were, or else I would have not taken that bet.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody realized just how good Saint John's was going to be.
Speaker 4: Now they're hotter than fish grease on Jimmy Fallon and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, they're hotter than fish grease on Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 4: Like they're hotter than fish grease. Comma, they were on jim back.
Speaker 2: I thought, poor Jimmy Fallon had fish grease all over him. I didn't see that story fish grease on Jimmy Fallon is extra hot garage sale. Everything must go clearing out the inventory danpatrick dot com. Also sign up for the newsletter. It is really well done. Recaps everything that happened on the show and case you missed it. Even if you didn't miss it, it can still refresh your memory of all the great items that we talked about, all the great memories, because after all, I'm on the clock with the number of days, number of shows that I have. There was reaction though to me maybe extending my window of here we go. No, Seaton was out of the country. So did I miss this conversation? Are we back? No?
Speaker 1: We rolling?
Speaker 2: We keeping the band again? No? I I was, you know, on a romantic vacation with my wife and wine country. And she said, so the final show is December twenty four, twenty seven. I said, yeah. She goes where WHI the super Bowl that year? I said, I don't even know. And she goes Atlanta and we're driving and my wife says, well, you've started your broadcasting career TV career in Atlanta, CNN. Why don't you end your career in Atlanta at the Super Bowl? And I went I didn't have a comeback. I was like wow, and then I just thought, you know what, I'll present that as a way to truly truly wrap up my career.
Speaker 5: Yes see, I'm just saying, if the show is going to be, it's going to end. Yeah, super Bowl Week is a hell of a time to do it. We could put together like a Baller week send off, farewell kind of thing that could be really really great. That could be the kind of week that actually wins us the Emmy. Just saying you just gave me hope that maybe, just once for the last time, we might have a shot at winning an Emmy.
Speaker 2: Just by saying that we're going an extra two months has a better chance of getting into the Hall of Fame than we do winning a Sports Emmy. I don't agree, And it might be posthumously, if you know, for me as well, just like Pete Rose. Yes, here to accept the Sports Emmy is Tyler.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 7: So when you broached or floated the concept of having a two month extension for the Super Bowl Atlanta, did you get any actual feedback from people that matter?
Speaker 2: I only talked to my wife.
Speaker 7: Oh so, no, one industry.
Speaker 2: Yes, some people at the people who sell this show. The salespeople were like, hey, tell me about it. You're going to extend it to the Super Bowl. I said, hey, I just brought up a conversation I had with a romantic vacation in Wine Country and my wife brought that up. But yeah, we got some time. But yeah, it did. It kind of hit me that, yes, my career was at a crossroads. I had just lost out on a job at a local station in Dayton, Ohio, and then I got I don't know, I was really down. I was twenty seven and I thought I won't get a job in TV. I just lost out the weekend job at Channel two, and my ex girlfriend said, you should come down to Atlanta. CNN is hiring. I go, I couldn't get the job in Dayton, Ohio. I'm not going to get a job at CNN. And then it turns out they hired me. I was only doing headline sports. I wasn't even on camera, and I took a ten thousand dollars pay cut, and thank god I did. Six months later, I'm in New York and I'm covering Baltimore, Boston, Philly, New York, DC, all of the different teams. The eighty six Mets, the Giants won a Super Bowl covering the Celtics. I mean, all of that was able to grow up covering some of these teams as a reporter. But if I don't go to Atlanta and I don't get that job or take the job at Headline Sports, I'm not here today because I probably would have just stayed in radio. But you know, my wife was right, that's where my career got started. And at that point I didn't think that I would work in TV at all, and America would be cheated of looking at this face. They would only be able to hear that voice. And that's enough for a lot of people. But when you throw in the face part of it, Todd, Yeah, that's really yeah.
Speaker 3: And you control Burriso and not say, oh, you mean Headline Sport, that would have been a problem.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine the pilgrimage to Atlanta for your last show, like legit, legit, not even legit.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think it's not going to be a pilgrimage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Malcolm X went to Mecca. It was a pilgrimage. They're going to make this type of pig.
Speaker 2: I don't think it'll be the same, I don't. I mean, it'll be closed, but I don't think it'll be the.
Speaker 5: Same shades of similar ac Yes, not quite the same, but that's you know, the degrees of it.
Speaker 7: Maybe, yes, like Hoosiers when the town is closed and the bus full of people, all the buses going down the street to the game.
Speaker 2: Just mythical. I just I just put that out there. That was a conversation I have with my wife.
Speaker 6: That was all.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting it out to say that's what we're going to do. But I did bring that up to the Danatz just to say, hey, this is something that did stir my interest in extending and we're not going to put this to a vote.
Speaker 5: No, you're not putting you So you just put it out there now two times today, Like what are you talking about, dude, of course we're doing that.
Speaker 2: No, but you weren't here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, But now this is the second time now that you're like flirting with the idea.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it went over the first time, but me hearing that news thinks it makes all the sense in the world.
Speaker 2: It does. It does, But I would have to talk to management because we have contracts and you know, we have relationships with sponsors, and you know, I don't know how that works. To extend it two months to the end of February. Yeah, two month bonanza. Yes, but I am it's under advisement. That's all. That's a long time. A lot can happen, A lot can happen. I'm not going to bet a pie to the face the final pie. No, the final pie. No, no, no, not going to do that. But out of respect to you guys, the audience, to wrap it up in the proper way, I am certainly considering that that we would do it just to the super Bowl, just to the super Bowl. That is perfect. That is perfect. That's exactly what we should be doing. It's perfect.
Speaker 4: Yes. Is there anybody that you would want for sure? Like we have to get this? No guess okay, No, no, I have one.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tim Kawakami, Yeah, that's you could do forty nine Ers, you could do Warriors Mercury News.
Speaker 2: He could do.
Speaker 5: If we don't have Tim Kawakami on the last show, than what are we really doing? Why did we do this?
Speaker 2: Tim Cawndllshan, you know, like all the people, well, Jordan Tiger.
Speaker 7: Yes, we already have an issue with this possible plane of you extending through the Super Bowl in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I want to hear it.
Speaker 2: So let's say we did.
Speaker 7: You extended for two more months to your final contract, and you did the show. We did the show in Atlanta for super Bowl. We have to be on on Monday to recap the super Bowl. You cannot not be on a Monday. So here's the plan. Last week super Bowl extravaganza and then the final show from the attic of your house.
Speaker 2: No, no, the cat and the dog and the bacon. No, and be here, be here in the man can really put a bow on it. It's the there's no equipment in the attic.
Speaker 4: We'll figure that out.
Speaker 2: No, we've already figured it out. This would be we'd have to do that show here in the man Cave and then we turn out the lights of the man Cave and then we all walk out. You guys cry. I'm laughing. I'm celebrating, yes, Marta.
Speaker 4: But I just saw the twenty twenty eight Final Fours in Mason, Ohio, So we have to do now the show from.
Speaker 2: It could be in my hometown. And I still wouldn't do a show I'm good. No, not because it's in my hometown. I don't want to go back there. It's just like, at some point I got to say that's it. I'm done. Maybe we do other things. Maybe maybe we do a podcast once a week or something. I don't know. We're disgusting all these things. Maybe I don't do anything with you guys. Maybe I just go on my own. It's fair. I've been dragging your asses up and down the floor for decades now. The one who gets so emotional is Todd, and I don't know why you get them.
Speaker 3: It's I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't like talk death talk. I don't like to talk about things ending.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this is career death. This isn't me dying.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 3: I know everything is finite, but I just I don't know. I just I don't like things that come to an end. It's said, and talking about it, especially years in advance, is upsetting.
Speaker 2: No, But it's it's sad because then you have to go out and try to find another job. That's true, That's that's the sad thing.
Speaker 3: I'm not of an age where I can just say I'm retiring.
Speaker 2: Would anybody retire when I retire, Paul, possibly, Seaton.
Speaker 5: I'm not even remotely close to financially ready to retire.
Speaker 2: That that is a okay. But let's say somebody decides that they would like to host this show. Are you retired from doing a show like this? If somebody is over here sitting in the chair, Marvin.
Speaker 4: I just got here, so I'm staying.
Speaker 7: Okay, Paul, likely not doing this after you leave?
Speaker 3: All right, Ton, I would have to think about that. That that wouldn't wouldn't be a definite.
Speaker 2: No, you think about it right now, that's.
Speaker 3: For three years from now. I wouldn't say completely no, But I have other interest in things. I may want to may want to live in other places and do either things. So you have to see what's going on in a couple of ye.
Speaker 2: All right, Seaton, could you be another part of an ensemble with the radio show?
Speaker 5: The percentage of that is slight, okay, But I mean I need a job. I need a paycheck. So maybe I'm not really interested though in being And I've like said this before and I don't know why. I remember exactly why I said his name, because I love the guy like I truly do but like I don't want to be If I'm going to do a show with somebody else again, I want to do it with them. I don't want to be like a tucker At, you know what I mean, and be like seeing what's the poll question? Like I don't want to do I really don't want to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: So Ross Tucker.
Speaker 5: If Ross I would very I'd be very happy to work with Ross Tucker, but it wouldn't be in this dynamic. Yeah, okay, a tucker At, I'm not. I don't want to be an eyes in At. I don't want to be at anymore than after. Once you're done, then that's the end of my career.
Speaker 2: Okay. How about a Nick right At? No, not Colin cow Herder. Yeah, where's your cattleman? A Romett? Jim Rome, Jim Romett. It'd be wild if you were done before. He was fascinating. If I retired, say he's already retired, okay, all right, poke, one of the kings, been doing it a long time.
Speaker 5: He's done very He could retire any time he wants and race horses, yea, or do whatever he wants.
Speaker 2: He's done very well from something he has. Maybe you could work for Dan Lebtard or and and Stu Gods.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the great privilege of working for one of my idols, a man who has been so much to me, truly one of the titans in the industry.
Speaker 2: All right, tell me it was was it now to work for me? It was awkward? It was awkward when Dan Leviatard interviewed me in New Orleans. It was a little awkward for the Dan nets. Uh, it got way too serious, way too serious.
Speaker 4: I missed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you decided not to join us. Yeah, yeah, boycott, Yeah, you boycotted. Boycotted the big night where at Tippetina's and Dan was interviewing me, and I kept telling him, have fun, let's have fun. And he's like, oh, I think people should realize the backstory of what you've been through healthwise. I go, No one cares. They're drinking, nobody cares. And then he asked me the question about what was like what was love like in the house in my Yeah, what was it like love? What was love like in your house? Oh? God? And I thought, you know, did he know about me sneaking you know, Amy Lakes into the house there. I think he was gone for tears. No doubt. I think that maybe he was, you know, trying to win an award or something. It was it was doctor Phil s but I knew where it was. It was coming from a really good place. I just I didn't want to talk about anything serious. It's fun and I just remember see it. And when he saw me after that, he goes, oh, there's Dan Patrick, all the incredible, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: He does that when he comes on the show too. You know, I love Dan Levettard. He is he's the best. He's a great guy. It is funny though.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a deep thinker. He's very emotional. He is emotional. He's gone through a lot, he lost his brother. I think he leaned on me. Uh literally has great respect for you. Yes, he does, very clearly, and I'm glad somebody does. Thank you to thank you, ton d. This is where I go. No, maybe I don't stay. It's under this.
Speaker 4: I don't even do that.
Speaker 2: Todd if Okay, if you need a letter recommendation, it's not am I gonna have to ask you for a recommendation for the one guy? Okay, Marvin gets a letter of recommendation twenty years.
Speaker 4: Hold on DP I have to do a resume. I haven't done a resume since two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: If you if you do a resume, you can put me down as a reference my resume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's because he tells me what a Wondervil show you had?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, because we had a good show. We have something of the game.
Speaker 2: How do you think how do you think Musk got to where he is in the warehouse?
Speaker 4: Very fair?
Speaker 2: Can you guys be nice to me.
Speaker 4: Against the break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Terrible would say, thank you, be nice. Marvin's the nicest person I've ever met.
Speaker 4: That was a great point.
Speaker 2: Dan, just thank you, Tod.
Speaker 5: That makes saut Harvey and I said, it makes wonderful points.
Speaker 2: He does the print. How about we take a break here Steve Young, the Hall of Famer, he might maybe he'll say some nice things about me in the world. Yeah, in a world. We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: About forty minutes from now, Fritzy takes a Pie to the face, Marvin takes a pie to the face as well more phone calls coming out piece the Hall of Famer, three times Super Bowl champ of the Niners. Steve Young back on the program, Steve, we were wondering, did you ever have a full time job aside from being a football player when you got out of high school and you went to BYU, did you ever have a job like you know some of ninety nine percent of the rest of Americans where maybe you wash dishes or something. So Todd, let me start with you, Steve Young. Did he have job and what job was it?
Speaker 3: I think he did have a job, and it was some kind of paralegal or something with a loan or something along.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know, hold on, hold on, hold on. I got to go around the room. Everybody gets a guest here. But you know, keep in mind, he grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut, se Street, the other side of the tracks in Greenwich. Okay.
Speaker 5: See, oh boy, yeah, that really changes things, doesn't it. I think he has had a job.
Speaker 2: I think it was more like working at someone's store store. Okay.
Speaker 4: Marvin the Great One worked at a car dealership, car dealership.
Speaker 7: Paul Real specific when he's young, a Caddie in Greenwich, and when he was in college, probably like an internship with a hedge fund or something.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say probably had a paper route. And I'm going to say that he worked. I'm gonna say he worked for his father, Steve.
Speaker 8: All right, So, uh, the family had the famous paper out. I started it for years. That's when we were little. That doesn't really count, but I'm giving you the credit for it because I got to tell you the story that my brother. The worst day of the paper route was when you had to go collect the money and knock on the door and ask for the dollar thirty for the Granwich Times. You know, it was a pain. And one day my brother told my mom I'm not doing it. I'm not. She got so sick of it. And this is great like story when my mom punches my brother as hard as chakob. It puts it back against the wall and we laugh about.
Speaker 10: It today that my mom, who is the greatest peace maker of all time, who would never like her to please, somehow got so enraged because my brother would not go collect for the Greenwich Duns.
Speaker 8: She punched him. So anyway, I was in high school and in college I worked all summers with landscape company bucket Lands, her own man in Grantwich, Connecticut, and I ran a whole truck of guys and and a funny thing about Greenwich is you've pulled up to these big places, biggest states, you know, to go cut their lawn, and all the moms like, come.
Speaker 10: Inside, the landscapers are here. We don't want to mix company.
Speaker 8: And I was like, uh, you know, I was. It was. It was rough and tumble back then. Yeah, that's that was my job. That hedge fun thing is great. Yeah that works sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're Aaron Rodgers, I'm gonna make you Aaron Rodgers, and I'm gonna give you the opportunity for Pittsburgh and New York with maybe the possibility of the Vikings. What would you do.
Speaker 8: I'd sprint to the Vikings if possible. I'm you know why Sam would leave a place where he knows you're gonna thrive me because they had to. They told me what, you didn't have a spot. But you've got to find Dan. In today's game, you've got to find a place where someone has left. Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay or Andy Reid and understands the new kind of run to the future that is necessary to be great for quarterbacks. And then you got to run to those teams. And that's what Sam found in San Francisco briefly as a backup and then as a starter in Minnesota. So I'd run McConnell's fast as any of them, because that's what you if you're gonna have, if you're gonna thrive in today's game, especially with what all that Aaron knows he was, he was born and raised in a more sophisticated era of the NFL. He can take advantage of him. That's why Tom Brady, I think we've talked about this before, towards the end of his career, ran into him in a Moneay night game and I go, what's the difference between the old before the rule changes? And now he goes, well, now the flats are always open, the middle of field is unpatrolled, and no one can hit me. And so Aaron understands that, Like, that's why people can play in their forties, because we know we learned at a more sophisticated time. So get to a place that understands the future and go dominate. I don't I Look, if you that's to me, that's an obvious one. If that's a.
Speaker 2: Chance, Okay, but does Pittsburgh make sense for him if they want him?
Speaker 8: No, we had to go win some games. Yeah, but they're not built. They don't they have him not run to the future as far as the quarterback position. And those are the teams that are in the Super Bowl year. They're in the championshi Game every year. Then they go deep in the playoffs. And so I would say, yeah, go on with your bad stuff. If you don't want to play, you know, you don't want to retire, I'm not. I'm not done. Look at playing playing Pittsburgh's amazing. I mean, it's you know, they're gonna win a lot of games. They always do, and he can help me win more. But I just I think the way I see the game today, the way the NFL is built, you know, you got to you know New York Giants.
Speaker 2: No, No, okay, But are the Eagles in that same blueprint that you're talking about, because.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I look, I know you're trying to trick me here and try to catch me on my my little theory. Yes, because they have a quarterback that's still you know, is gonna threaten the line of scrimmage every play. That they've got a unique way to run the football, just like the forty nine ers did, and I give them credit for that, But the idea that you're now gonna go win super Bowls by playing great defense in a running game is just not the way that it's gonna get done. You have a very dynamic quarterback position, which they do have, and I think that's where they are a team of the future in that way. They have a unique way to do with Saquon, which I give them as an anomaly. But you know, the idea that today's game, you can throw together a number one defense and a great running game and go wing the Super Bowl doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: But if I gave you Saquon Barkley or Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 8: These stupid bar fights like you know, yeah, I in today's game, Justin Jefferson with a great, renovative offensive mind and and a quarterback that understands the position that can really thrive, those are the guys that go. So I'd go that way.
Speaker 2: Did you call it a stupid bar fight? That? Well, let's this is what I do for a living.
Speaker 8: I know. But sometimes you just gotta you gotta admire and and just stand back and just say, look, people are great, and I don't want to have to pick you know, you know how hard it is to be great, and then you want to pick between great like I don't know, it's it's a bar fight.
Speaker 2: It's just a fun philosophical question. As a quarterback, who do you want the guy right behind me?
Speaker 8: Let's let's do more of it. Let what can we talk about Mohammed Ali versus what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: You call it better quarterback? You were Montana.
Speaker 1: I didn't even have to.
Speaker 2: I was just sitting here going I know, I know, listen, you made me do that.
Speaker 8: I was at it Tomam and Ali. I was trying to get you off.
Speaker 2: Traft. Do you get a Christmas card from Joe Montana's family?
Speaker 8: Uh No, but I don't. I mean, look, don't try to. We never fought. We didn't. We never had a fight, we never had a disagreement, we never.
Speaker 2: I just asked about a Christmas card.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, just trying to say, I'm trying to get ahead of you now because I'm trying to get you off. But don't try to get ahead of you.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, the Hall of Famer, joining us on the show. You are on record, I think beginning of February where you talked about the Niners need to make or not make. Maybe that sounds strong Rock Party take advantage of his legs. He's not Jayden Daniels, but I think your quote was he could be eighty percent of Jayden daniel Right, you truly believe that.
Speaker 8: I do. I think he's nifty. Right. You saw him in the pocket. He move around. He can't carry the football out of the huddle. Look, I don't want to go back over it again, but because the field has gotten bigger, essentially because of the rule changes, you can't launch your body at defenders can't patrol the field as well as they can. It's the game is. Quarterback position has to threaten the line of scrimmage every play. They don't need to go do it, but the threat needs to be there. It's too powerful and the players that the quarterbacks that are doing that every play are the ones that are thriving. And so for Brock, he can threaten the line of scrimmage essentially as fast or as strong or all the stuff that other guys do. But he can't do it. And I think you have to lead into it, because if you don't threaten the line of scrimmage, all you're going to do is be a processing, phenomenal processing quarterback. And every play is out of the huddle, and we're gonna just complete lots of passes. Then you're gonna have to go the retail way, right, you have to go the long way. In today's game. There's shortcuts everywhere, and you got to take advantage of them. And and and so I think he can do more of that. And I think that and as they try to iterate. Look, when the world changes happen, there's three guys that ran in the future, Andy Reid, Kyle Shanan, Sean McVay, and every coach that come out that's been thriving in the NFL's come from those guys, and they've all kind of they had a tactical advantage for six, seven to eight years. That tactical advantage has gone. Now there's too many guys out they're teaching the same thing. So there's got to be a new iteration of it, a new you know, uh, a real you know kind of reinvent yourself. And so for Kyle and Brock to me, it's leaning into threatening the line of scrimmage with him carrying the football. I know that sounds scary to people, and that's how he gets hurt and all that kind of stuff. But in today's game, you have to or if you're going to be championship football.
Speaker 2: If you look at the amount of money that the quarterbacks make and they defer, you know, they restructure their deals. At what point do you think a quarterback should have a say in what is done with the money that they're freeing up like Mahomes Josh Allen yep? Should they be able to have input in free agency?
Speaker 8: Look, given enough time, in a million years, all sports leagues will be owned by the players, right because they're the ones that are on the field. They'll they'll be the equity owners. It's inevitable over a million years. It's just that football is going to be a really long time. But I think that in that sense, players, especially the ones that you've invested to be the you know, the pillars of your of your of your team, should be included, should be included, those personnel conversations should be included in the draft. The biggest mistake, and I told Aaron rod I told Tom I took pay. I told anyone I could that the biggest mistake I made was not Look, I don't want to say that. I did not wanted to do unnatural things and walk in and tell them you better draft that guy, or you better take care of me, or you better No, but I wish that I would have gone into them, into the room and and and how to say, and had the conversation and talk through it and try to make sure that we were, you know, as a as a quarterback, trying to advocate for what felt like we needed to try to take care of. And I encourage players to do it with the right spirit, with the right you know, the way to do it. It would tactically that's appropriate and that kind of thing. But but absolutely, Dan, if you're going to do a quarterback a team friendly deal over many many years, you better you got to tell me you're going to be part of those conversations. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well. You can only imagine what Aaron Rodgers felt when he's watching the draft and they decided to take Jordan Love and they gave him a five minute.
Speaker 8: There's there's tough moments. I look, I'm not I'm not even try to avoid that or like, oh, don't you know I'm gonna go and advocate. You better not do. I'm not talking about threatening. What I'm trying to do is is build a partnership in personnel. Because what I what my experience was, and I'm sure it's still the same. We watched every player, every draft class come in the first ota, and we as players were all look at the guys that they drafted. I'm like, you know, he's pretty good or oh no, he sucks, you know right away, And like, as players, if we have that sense in fifteen minutes, I'm overstating it, but in a very short amount of time, why would we not be invited into at least give an opinion about what we see in a certain player a certain thing. I can think of Geno Carmazi or I mean, like, we had lots of draft guys at quarterback, Like what did you maybe let me work the guy out? Why would't you have the quarterback like that's to me, that's a big mistake that the league continues to make and not you know, kind of getting the opinion of the players that are on the field.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you solve Shudor Sanders the past two seasons. But it feels like, you know, we get to this point of leading up to the draft and then you start to get opinions like we build you up and then we tear you down. And it certainly happens at that position. And I don't know how much of a role or factor in Deon Sanders with Shadoor Sanders, or maybe teams are, you know, saying negative things so he'll slide a little bit, which I always find amazing that Wow, we're not going to take him now. They said, you know some bad things about him. What do you think of Shudoor Sanders as an NFL quarterback?
Speaker 8: I feel like we better talk about Dion for a second because it's so much a part of the conversation. And I think I've I shared this with you, but if I haven't, I'll do it really quick. When he joined the forty nine Ers, he pulled me aside and said, Steve, I am the best teammate you'll ever have. I show up every day, I'm ready to practice, I'm ready to play. I'll always be there and I have your back. That's set. Now. The rest of it is a parade that I want you to just get some popcorn and enjoy because it's gonna be a good time, you know. And that's exactly what he did. So I take that and it's exactly who he was and who I think he is today. It's it's there's a parade, and get your popcorn and enjoy the pread. I think Shador is part of that, part of that same philosophy, right, It's like there's a prey to enjoy and the popcorn everything. But is he ready to play football? Is he going to do the hard work? Is he going to be in the classroom studying and memorizing and getting ready to I think those are all things that his dad would say, Hey, buddy, you better you better be ready to play ball. And so in that way, I'm not going to listen to the noise. I think that it's gonna be a The question is about the pure row talent. It's not going to be about his work ethic, his ability to you know, put the time into all that kind of stuff. I have no I have no worries about that.
Speaker 2: But you know, we used to say you had to be six four. You know, we're looking for that guy who's six four or sometype.
Speaker 8: The prototyl Dan was in the pocket delivering the football. That was because the game was different. The game is now like if you how many teams are still in the past, Like it is now a time where the quarterback has to leave the huddle every day down with a threat to with to attack the line of scrimmage and make the defense worry they're getting up free first downs and free touchdowns. And every great quarterback today the prototype is a guy that can run around, throw it all over the field, but yet can still do the traditional job of sitting in the pocket delivering the football. That's the That's Matt Patrick, Mahomes, that's the guy. And Shador he definitely fits the prototype. It might not be size and weight exactly, but absolutely a prototype kind of player.
Speaker 2: To give me the guy, the guy who was successful as a quarterback where you go it didn't make sense, but he made it work. Like Drew Brees always amazed me because I go, yeah, how how does he do this? And you know he was always had his head up. I mean he was always looking downfield, all around always. But is there somebody that you played with or against and you go, I don't know how he does it because it's just at his size, it's unique.
Speaker 8: Uh well, yeah, I mean when I when I met Russell Wilson and I was like, oh my gosh, that dude. I mean, I didn't realize how much taller I was. That made me feel good. But it's anyone. But I I admire people that are shorter that can play the game because you know, there is an element of you know, kind of visibility.
Speaker 2: But Drew Brees doesn't make sense because he's not fast, he's not quick.
Speaker 8: But but but but he lived in he lived in an era where processing was the king. Okay, it was the only king. And and in today's game, processing is vital, but it's it doesn't It's not all you have to have. You have to have the ability to run around threat in the line of scribage. That's what I'm trying to tell you is it's different. If you talk about a you know, a player that stood in one place his whole career back in the prototype days of a previous prototype. I don't know that that person would thrive in today's game. It's just that different.
Speaker 2: Would you be a Hall of Famer in today's game?
Speaker 8: This is Dan, Come on, this is my game. I mean I was an oddity back in the day. I was the guy who's like, he's a scrambler. Yeah, you know. Bill Watsh was the only one that I remember, and luckily I was close to him that looked at me in the eye and said, look, because you can run, you're going to be better. I believe it makes you more powerful, it makes you like the other one else was like, this is an oddity. Tie his legs up, you can't move. It's stupid. We don't need any it's crazy scrambling, crazy guy like I was. I was absolutely an audity. And today's game it is I am. I am the prototype, Dad, I am. I am ready to go. Just give me a call.
Speaker 2: And I'll are you better than Lamar Jackson in today's game?
Speaker 6: Oh no?
Speaker 8: Still?
Speaker 4: What is out there?
Speaker 8: We can't help? But can It's like it's like you're drawing like a like a fly to the to the point.
Speaker 2: Why are you you're fired up today?
Speaker 8: Like you?
Speaker 2: We want to test you a little bit here. I mean, that's all I'm doing.
Speaker 8: But I would say, while we're on with Lamar, you know, he's one of my favorites, and I think that he is the absolute prototype and his his greatness is not still yet found because he hasn't found them to be great and needed lots of help innovative minds and offense today with lots of talent around you that can run all over the field, like they're getting closer. Baltimore finally capitulated a couple of years ago and said, Okay, we're in. We're gonna get out of the sophisticated running game. We're gonna come. We're commit. We're gonna get you some some some uh, you know, offensive minds that are gonna help you thrive as a quarterback. And if and get some talent out of the wide receiver and really kind of down they're half what there's sixty percent of the way there of who Lamar Jackson could be. And if you want to compare, uh, he's if we raced my peek and his peak, he's quicker. There's no doubt. Man. He can make people miss. I can make people miss. Not like him, but if we raced, I don't know, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean like a forty or one hundred.
Speaker 8: I think like a forty or even a thirty, you know what I mean? Like ra like top end speed. You know what I mean? I don't know. We'll see I was. I was sneaky. I was sneaky. I ran down a lot of interceptors and then I cleaned up my mess. I have Tom look it up. No one ever I picked six was unheard of with me.
Speaker 2: Never Who would be?
Speaker 8: I think I was cleaning it up. But I could chase them down, and I dragged down a lot of gain.
Speaker 2: Who would be better at delivering papers? It would be faster you were, Lamar Jackson'd.
Speaker 8: Be tight man close because the collection day he had to be on the door. Who knows you taking people at the door. The kid can't find his mom, they don't have the money. I mean, it could get really fucked up.
Speaker 2: I hope I didn't set the tone for your day or ruin your day, because you know it. Certainly this is therapy for me.
Speaker 8: Dad. Someone wants to talk football at my house, This is like, oh.
Speaker 2: God, you're surrounded by women.
Speaker 10: I know, it's just uh, they love they love the game because they you know, like Taylor Swift said, it was okay, So.
Speaker 8: They're like.
Speaker 3: Yes, Todd Steve Young during his NFL career, Dodd, no, no.
Speaker 10: No, numb up and find out if there was a pick six No, not.
Speaker 2: Doing that time.
Speaker 4: I have the number of pick sixes.
Speaker 2: I thought, we need, no, we need He brought it up. What is it?
Speaker 3: Eleven interceptions returned for touchdown?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 8: Wow, Wow, it's impossible. Wow, that is impossible. You know what. That's what scares me a little bit, Dan, is that when you live in your own little private Idaho and you think, you know what this is, how.
Speaker 2: Great you were great until you got on this Todd over in the corner.
Speaker 8: He just wants to just, you know, tear you downs.
Speaker 2: Todd. Can you see how many Montana through pick sixes? Here we gotta go, we have to go. Thank you, buddy. That's Steve Young back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls. What we learned, what's in store for tomorrow. I just went out to the kitchen and I was overseeing the making of the pies. Well, I think we have blueberry pies with whipped cream, one for Fritzy and one for a Marvin. That'll be coming up here towards the end of the show. Have that for you? Let me see. David in Iowa, Hi Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey, DP say, I think with regard to your last day, and I think we're all assuming you're going to go through the super Bowl here. Yeah, I really want you to rethink or consider not coming back from Monday recap.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: The only reason I say that is that's what most shows would do. They feel the need to do that. But let's admit it, you guys aren't most shows. And I see a very Siginfeld esque send off on Friday with kind of the show dissolving and the audience wants more, but they're just not going to get it. Everyone walks their separate ways, and Pauli's stand out there saying see ya.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Dave. Chris in Kentucky, Hi Chris.
Speaker 11: Hey Dan five.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 12: It's not that I don't want your show to extend, but since I'll be listening to you.
Speaker 11: Back to the Mothership days, you stated that the last show would be the show that you told all the story that you normally couldn't tell. To tell all show, I think that's gonna be hard to do.
Speaker 12: If you've got guests that you get, you've got to tell these stories from right into Super Bowl. I mean, do we want a longer show, more DP or the last biggest epic show DP of all time?
Speaker 2: Well, we have time to think about that. I got to decide if I want to extend to that Super Bowl in Atlanta twenty eight Yes, Martin, do we do like.
Speaker 4: A big theater show sometimes at the end of the year and at the end of the show, Yeah, and just tell all your stories right then and there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think that's probably what we'll do. This day in sports history A quick one.
Speaker 7: Bobby Thompson at the Braves broke his ankle sliding to the base during spring training. He was replaced with a rookie named Hank Aaron.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What did he ever do? Yeah? Yeah, that's it, all right, Just go around the room. What we learned on the program, Todd, would you learn today?
Speaker 3: I think I learned that Steve Young had four and Joe Montina had six career pick sixes. I'm getting different things from Pro Football Reference. Another story that I was looking at, you said, he said eleven, which is a number that keeps wanting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Why do you keep saying eleven you screwed up his baseball zero point three to two percent.
Speaker 3: As far as pick six is, Steve Young's got among the lowest of picks.
Speaker 2: Secks. What did I learn today?
Speaker 3: Steve Young's mom prince his brother when they were younger because they refused to collect the money from their paper.
Speaker 2: Round at Mako. They bring cars back to life for affordable paint. Johns, you screwed it up Tom twice. Dodger, you get a free estimate today. I'll better get Maco. Have a great day.