Speaker 1: So I had Andrew McCarthy on this podcast. I loved interviewing him. It was so iconic because for those of you who are a certain age, the brat Pack was so iconic. And it's funny because there's a new documentary with Andrew McCarthy producing it and starring in it, and it's called Brats, and he's going back and you know, visiting cast not castmates, some castmates, but brat mates from that era. And this New York Magazine article was extremely damaging for all of them. And what happened was Rob Low, Demi Moore, Amelio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy, Ali Sheety, and then they were like extreme one, oh Judd Nelson, but there were like extraneous ones, like you almost say that Matt Dillon was adjacent. See Thomas Howell was brat adjacent. There were just all these people that were in those movies at that time. Anthony Michael Hall is probably a Jason o'molly Ringwalld was in the brat pack. But it was this whole generation of good looking, spirited actors, many manufactured by John Hughes in some movies. But it was stane, almost fire, and it was pretty in pink, and it was a whole era and it was just now that I watched this documentary a time I was that age, so I didn't know that this was different than anything before. But at that age, there were so many teen movies, and I remember, as a little kid, this is true, crying because I wanted to live in California so badly, like I just And it's funny because my daughter, at one point when she was younger, really wanted to live in Florida because we went out to dinner with my friend and her daughter, and her daughter like goes out in boats with her friends and as this whole life and.
Speaker 2: She's having a nice time living in Florida.
Speaker 1: But my daughter is in her mind glamorizing it and thinks like that this girl's having this whole crazy life that she's not living. And when I was that age, I was glamorizing California and like I was just going to get to Beverly Hills, where my father actually lived in California, and I did go visit, and then I.
Speaker 2: Was just going to see all these people, which didn't really happen.
Speaker 1: And years later where I did end up moving out to La I did go to the clubs that I would see Tory Spelling, and I did see John Brownison one time at Sue Plantation, and I did see you know the girls from nine O two an hour I was obsessed with and I was irrelevant to them.
Speaker 2: They didn't pay any attention to me. But you'd see actors out.
Speaker 1: I once saw Jared Leto at a cafe, kings Row Cafe, and like, I was enamored by all that. It's interesting now to be a person who is a public person and realize that your life is still You're still a person, and you're still sad, and like fame is just really a gloss over. It's what other people perceive it to be. It's not different for you necessarily. Our life is different, but you still have blood running through your veins, and you know sadness and depression and you can get sick and all that stuff. So this group had an article written about them as the it kids who are in all these different movies, and the title was what grabbed everybody in and it was New York magazine and it was the Brat Pack And apparently it was supposed to be an article that was written just about Emilio Estevez, and it turned into a bigger thing, as articles often do, and you learned the very valuable lesson that I have also learned that the media is not your friend. The media is the ocean. You want to have a good relationship with it. You want to be able to ride the waves when they come in. You want to be able to respect the ocean, not think you can battle the ocean, not think you can control the ocean.
Speaker 2: It works for you.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's a beautiful thing. Sometimes I am grateful for the media. But you don't fuck around with the ocean, and you don't fucker out the media. You don't try to manipulate them and think they're your friend and get too cozy.
Speaker 2: And it was a clever name.
Speaker 1: But the funny thing is that they all scattered and scurried from each other, because that was before all press is good press twenty twenty four. Being infamous as being famous, being on reality TV and being a disaster makes you successful and everything goes these days. Disruptive wins now. But I guess people didn't realize disruptive one then. And I guess scared money never wins, because it seems like if they had just stuck together and been like, Okay, this is what we are.
Speaker 2: We're leading into it. It's going to work out. Instead, they all wanted.
Speaker 1: To be these thespians, you know, these Scorsesey thespians, and.
Speaker 2: They did say that, like people did.
Speaker 1: Back out of certain rules with them. But like the media, the entertainment industry is also the ocean you got to sort of ride, and they should have danced with the one who brung you because they were lucky to be in that space. And reality TV is very much like that. So many actresses that failed as actresses would have succeeded as reality stars. And they're dancing with the one who brung them. They're making money, they're successful. It didn't go the way they wanted it to go. But these were young kids that were.
Speaker 2: Out partying and were in movies. They were young.
Speaker 1: There's an evan flow of things, and they were young actors. And I'm sure not every single one of them is Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 2: Maybe one is, or would have been.
Speaker 1: Brablo found his way out, and Roblo found his way out of a scandal and addiction in a terrible time in his life. So I think Andrew McCarthy had a similar situation. So I'm not belittling their circumstance by any means. I'm just saying they now are coming back and revisiting something that was very traumatic for them. But for me, as a viewer of the movies and of the genre, I didn't know that that was very inside baseball. I thought brat pack was a cool thing to be part of. Who cares your brats?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 1: And it's like NEPO baby. Last week I did a video. Bring came into my room and said to me, Mom, what's a NEPO baby? I said, get a frickin' mirror. Why. It was the first thing that came to my mind. Is my daughter act like a NEPO baby? Is she entitled?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Literally, she has to work for everything she gets and there's a process and nothing on a silver platter.
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did she fly first class to emiratesok me on the Australia trip of Yes? Does she have beautiful things and people know she is?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean she did not have a normal life. She's a privileged, young, wealthy, successful woman's daughter. I'm not in a bubble. I mean I am in a bubble, but I'm saying my brain is not a bubble, I'm aware, But the Nepo baby thing, it's like what it would be perceived to be. That's what people would think she is, and that's what I thought. They were a bunch of the breath pack, no different than I thought everybody on nine, O, two and O was the brat Pack. No different than everybody on Nowhere's Place was the brat Pack. But they were leaning into it, you know, just like people on reality TV. So I guess I always like there to be an overall message. Let the buttermel, let the ocean move. You never know what something really is in the moment, So I just feel like in life, not everything is what it is in that moment. People panic, get hysterical, and when things are going on in the moment and things seem like something, you gotta ride it out. You gotta hold that steering real type and not too tight. You can't clutch it and you can't let go. That'd just ride it through. So if I were in the brat pack now and a big damaging article like that came out, I don't think I would like be so quick to just scurry. I think I would lean in, laugh about it, make a joke about it be talented and the cream rises to the top, because if you really do think about it, a lot of them really did dissolve dissolve. So I don't know that Scurrying was the best.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Molly Ringwold was just in feud and you know, people are getting a chance again, even like a Macchio. And then also was a genre too. It was a time. Everything has a time like that was a time for teen movies, and there were times for vampire movies, and there are times for euphoria type dark kids shows like it. Just things things are cyclical, So.
Speaker 2: I love that era.
Speaker 1: It was very, very influential in my life. It was very profound. I remember crying that I didn't wasn't friends with all those people they just made.
Speaker 2: There was a there was another movie that was a little raunchy with Tom Moore in it called Private School for Girls.
Speaker 1: Like I just was so obsessed with James Spader and Andrew McCarthy and Jimmy Moore and Rob like I just wanted to It was like it was painful. I was like that though, That's why I have to we have to be compassionate with our kids when they are obsessed with things, because don't you remember how real it was. My love for Matt Dylan was real. My love for Matt Dylan was deep, it was real. It's sustained. I remember to this day. I wasn't flighty. I wasn't like into one person then the other. Matt Dylan was my ride or died for years. I also loved James Spader and Andrew McCarthy. Andrew McCarthy was so cute and sheepish and sparkly, and I quickly I had him on my podcast and I got to watch brats. I'm like, I know him. What the fuck that?
Speaker 2: I'm like a.
Speaker 1: Person that gets to like that caught up, meaning I was so obsessed with them, and I caught up. I got to I now my own podcast that like Andrew McCarthy would grace his presence on like that sometimes freaks me out, Like Tory Spelling has been on here a couple of times.
Speaker 2: What it's Tory Spelling. I was so obsessed upset, not with her, but with all of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's crazy when like you know, I was the paon saved by the bell, just like looking up to.
Speaker 2: All them and now I know them all and.
Speaker 1: Some of the people in all of these different arenas, I have.
Speaker 2: A bigger career.
Speaker 1: Than they do, which is not it's not not humble, it's just shocking. Like I guess that message is for you, Like it's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't worry about other people and what they're doing, and it could be you, Like it's a whole.
Speaker 2: It's like when you watch a horse race. The horses.
Speaker 1: Some are beating the other by a nose, some go behind, some come make a fun a far turn, some are long shot, some go wire to wire, you know, like Leonardo DiCaprio so far has gone wire to wire.
Speaker 2: He started as a kid actor. He's never waivered. He just had it. You know.
Speaker 1: Justin Bieber has had some personal issues, but he's pretty much gone wired or wired too. You just don't know how it's all going to end up. So the fact that I would now be entertainment industry peers with the brat Pack, and I glamorize all of that because they were all so amazing and so iconic and represented such an era. It is just interesting, so exciting to have Robblow and Andrew McCarthy on this very podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Not Worthy