Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training Camp.
Speaker 3: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 4: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered? What did I miss yesterday? Now here to review today's practice the writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome in to our very first Patriots Training Camp Cast at twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It's Mike do So, Paul Parrel. Paul, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for having me on your little camp cast. I guess what is this year? Five twenty four for me, but twenty six overall. I think it's twenty fourth doing a camp cast.
Speaker 2: Well, here we are, and we, you know, got going today with the Patriots on the field, kind of like practice hour and a half session Paul little Yeah, sorter than we're kind of used to here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, Jard Mayo talked a little bit about that on Tuesday, that he might fluctuate some of these times. And I think that the sort of the ramp up time, you know, I think they have some work that they probably want to get done, a set amount of you know, execution, and they want to see I think these first couple of practices will be a little shorter and then they'll gradually ramp it up. And I did think it was interesting before practice started today. They're eligible to be in pads after five days, so that would be Monday. Girod sort of indicated it might be around this time next week, so maybe, you know, a little bit later than that when they were in full pads for the first time. But we're getting ahead of ourselves a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are a little bit, but you know, not the most competitive practices you might have seen one day one, kind of a continuation of OTAs in mini camp. But still some guys that showed up a couple good plays, and I want to start with Jalen Rager, who had really nice one handed catch down the field, had another catch later in practice.
Speaker 3: You know, it was kind of productive in OTAs two.
Speaker 2: Not a guy that's on the top of everyone's mind, but a guy that's just continuing to show up here in the offseason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like they have a lot of very similar kind of players, not necessarily in skill set, because I think Rager is a little bit longer and faster than most of the other guys, but they have a lot of sort of middling kind of receivers. I think Rager has certainly done a nice job of separating himself from the pack in that regard. I thought Juju Smith Schuster also showed up a little bit today with that nice deep crosser. All of these passes we should we should add from Drake may So. I thought that was a good sign to sort of see him get the ball downfield a little bit in the athleticism on display a little bit. But you're right, I don't want to get anybody excited, not overly competitive, you know, in shorts and helmets today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, a couple of housekeeping notes because you're obviously trying to read between the lines a little bit, you know, just some highlights, you know, for me, Kyle Dugart coming up with a tipball interception, he continues to kind of be around the ball. That's kind of a Kyle Dugger play, you know, not necessarily him jumping the route, but Johnny on the spot right place by time.
Speaker 4: It's exactly what your boy, Jabil Pepper said after practice. I don't know how we do it, you know, He's just always where we're supposed to be. And they Yeah, the defensive backs have a pretty friendly competition with those kinds of plays. Uh So he was a little upset that he's already behind, but yeah, it was really nice. The play was actually made by Jonathan Jones, good trail coverage, got the hand in in front of the intended target, ball goes in the air and right to Kyle Dugar. That was from Brissett. Probably a pass that Brissett was a little late with. You know, again, you know, the timing not expected to be at regular season pace on the first day of camp, but yeah, good to see Dougar around the ball as usual.
Speaker 3: Little housekeeping.
Speaker 2: Saw a lot of Michael and when you continues to be at right guard, you know, the lion is a big concern for Patriots fans. Wanted to know how that's all going to shake out. We saw, you know, they're working on the run game a little bit. They're more in the middle of the field, not the red zone, Paul like we've get used to im means those old Patriots practices. It felt like, hey, we're right in the red zone right away, opening it up maybe a little bit. We were speculating just allow on the offense maybe to connect on some plays, but I thought it was fine.
Speaker 3: Today there was nothing. You know, Rigger made a couple catches, but overall it felt like the first day of camp.
Speaker 2: They're feeling it out. There's not really a lot of fireworks to write home about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we should say it went Brisset, may Zappi, Milton and that was pretty much the rotation that we ended the spring with that continued today. And you're right, I do think I didn't even know what to do with myself, you know, not starting in the red zone, because I'm just it's so ingrained in my mind that that's the way that Bill always did it. They started, you know, the twenty or thirty, you know, early down, a lot of early down work, you know, and you saw what they want to do. You saw that the Alex Van Pelt offense wants to be that sort of zone stretch kind of plays where you know, it's it's extended handoffs, hard play, action, boots off of that. That's how they're looking to get explosive plays.
Speaker 3: So some of.
Speaker 4: Those things you start to see the seeds get planted today a little bit, and it was different not being in the red zone.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, new season, New studio, new head coach, new quarterback, A lot.
Speaker 3: Of new net's going on here, Paula. We're just getting started.
Speaker 4: So real quick. Yeah, just you know, just to continue. The attendance was really good today. The Patriots placed five guys on lists, four on PUP and that would be Cole Strange, Kendrick Bourne, Jake Andrews, and Scioni Taki Taki. Those four players did not practice today, are on PUP and Antonio Gibson starts on the Non Football Injury List n FI. So other than that, the other eighty five players were out there and accounted for. We did see Matthew Judon, we did see Devon gotcha, and we did see them taking part in some of the eleven on eleven stuff that they did, and that to me was a little different than last year with Judon specifically, who was obviously upset with his contract at this time a year ago and sort of chose to the hold in kind of thing. We didn't see any signs of that today. We'll see what happens next week when the pads are on. Yeah, Pop Douglas seeming to do a little bit of rehab work. Maybe two wasn't heavily involved, just something to keep an eye on, but that's gonna do us do it for us for day one here Patriots Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: Of course, what have we got? Twelve more practices to go, so we're just getting started here. We hope you guys will stick with us all through this summer as we take you through Patriots Training Camp twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe I'm on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts