Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, Zarens, Elizabeth, How you been?
Speaker 3: I'm all right, How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good?
Speaker 3: Good. I listen here, pal. Yeah, you know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh do I So you know it's about to be the fourth of July. Yes, and you know what that reminds me of? Of course, one of America's greatest inventions.
Speaker 3: Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: Hot dogs.
Speaker 3: Oh, hot dogs.
Speaker 2: You know my love of encased meats.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I looked up a couple things, and I was just curious about my love and I wanted to know more about it. So I was like, how much do we eat a year in hot dogs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: If you had to guess how many hot dogs Americans eat in any given year, or just say last year, how many do you think that would be?
Speaker 3: I have no idea because I feel like it's probably declining. No, oh, it's increasing. People are eating more and more hot dogs.
Speaker 2: There's more and more people. That's one thing. But also it is it's a lot, all right to take a stab in the dark.
Speaker 3: Nine hundred billion, Okay, well that's too many.
Speaker 4: Twenty billion, twenty billion with a bee, yes.
Speaker 2: And they are about three and forty nine million Americans, So that works out. I did the math. Yeah, fifty seven hot dogs a year for every single American man, woman, and shop.
Speaker 3: Well, how many hot dogs do you think you had last year? Seventy seventy probably, I think it probably had like three four.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of hot dogs I try.
Speaker 3: I used to eat it.
Speaker 2: I used to eat like like a lot, and now started worrying about like the night rates. And then I switched over to Hebrew National, which is just meat and water, which is why it's the best. Like even the Costco hot dogs, say the Kirkland brand that everyone.
Speaker 4: Loves, that's one of the ones.
Speaker 2: It's one of considered one of the best hot dogs. But they have a lot of the sodiums, and I don't want all the sodiums. So that's why Hebrew nationals just meat and water. It's amazing, right.
Speaker 3: I had one at the Farmer's market a couple months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but on average, and so since you have three and I have only seventy, that means we're not covering the average. Now other people eating far more hot dogs and make up these numbers. Oh yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Because like a couple of hot dogs a week.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, about one a week. If you have fifty seven to fifty two weeks a year, at least one hot dog a week every week of the year. Now, if you were to guess the top hot dog consuming cities of twenty twenty five, what do you think the number one is?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like it's going to throw us off because remember I talked about the Sonoran hot dogs. Is it like Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: Yes, look at you, yeah, La.
Speaker 2: And then number two is New York, the number three in Chicago. Then you get Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Fort Myers, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia. Now, if you were like, you know, going, hey, what hey, what international airport in America consumes the most hot dogs, it would be Chicago's.
Speaker 4: O Hair Yeah yeah, these people six.
Speaker 2: Times more hot dogs. And say in lax So it's the people of LA. The tourists in LA.
Speaker 3: Do they have hot dogs in LX?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I just I'm just giving you numbers.
Speaker 4: Always a bit.
Speaker 3: I got you. I got you on.
Speaker 2: Fourth of July, which is coming up, So get your hot dogs. People. Americans will consume about one hundred and fifty million hot dogs and that is enough. Hot dogs. If you put them end to end, you could get from LA to DC. So really connects the nation.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful for America's.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry, I read that wrong. Not just once five times. We could go back and forth five times in hot dogs. So there you go.
Speaker 3: Now I want a hot dog.
Speaker 2: I know in case meets who doesn't want one?
Speaker 3: They're amazing top dog in Berkeley.
Speaker 2: That's a good as.
Speaker 3: The best I think aside from Costco. Do you want to know what else is ridiculous? Because that is ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Thank you, and it was. It was the theme to celebrate America.
Speaker 3: It's a grand old flag, high flying, flat high hot dog. What else is ridiculous?
Speaker 4: Wilding out in court?
Speaker 3: Oh, this is ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists and cons It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Damn right, yep.
Speaker 3: It is interesting how crime changes over time, like mainly with evolving technology. So like when the telegraph came on the scene, that opened into a whole new world of cons and scam.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, it's good call.
Speaker 3: Same with the telephone, and then computers and then like crypto and whatnot. But there are some core elements that never change. So like the sneakiness, the cunning wigs with wigs, thermal lances, powerful jazz, protection, misinformation, and then like complete confidence that wins marks over even in the face of ridiculous claims and circumstances. That never changes. So while sometimes I think that confidence crimes and petty crimes were easier back before the digital age, I think they were just different.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, have you seen some how boomers are online? I mean, that's not a difficult group to god like.
Speaker 3: I prefer analog to digital, and I think a lot of times I hear about these modern day tech crimes and I just don't understand what people are talking about. So I just disregard it. But let's go back in time and let's learn about an audacious analog lady crimer.
Speaker 2: Oh I love analog lady crimers. Good.
Speaker 3: So the gal I want to tell you about today has popped up on a couple of episodes before really in passing. I think she deserves her own time, to her own space.
Speaker 2: I like it. Let's give her the stage.
Speaker 3: You're talking about, Sophie Lions. I don't remember that name, no no, okay okay. So Sophie Lions is how she's known in the albeit hazy historical record, but she went by a lot of names.
Speaker 4: Here's a very long.
Speaker 3: List too, Louisa Andres. These are all great aliases. If anyone, oh, yeah, I have a couple.
Speaker 2: You can't use an alias anymore when you check into hotel.
Speaker 3: That used to be the best I know, right, Missus f H Brodie, Ela Drama, El Dramas, Sophie de Varney Rose Divine, that's nice, Sarah English, Julia Kelso, Sophie Levy, Susan Lockwood, Katie Laurane.
Speaker 2: Lockwood sounds like she's going to be nominated for a Daytime any I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking that sounds like yeah, And whether that's the character or the act, I don't know. Kate Lrangey, Kate Loranger, Sophie Lorenz Close, Kate Lucas, s E Lucas, Sarah Lyons Lucas.
Speaker 2: I think I bought her book is a.
Speaker 3: Professor, Sophie Monarchy, Fanny Owings Owen, Sarah Richardson, Harriet Smith, Jane Smith, Sarah Smith, Luisa, Sylvan, Mary Walton, Catherine Williams, and Kate Wilson.
Speaker 2: Kate Wilson sounds like a British folk singer, Kate Wilson.
Speaker 3: Kate, Well, she can go like for the generic name and then she has some that are out there. Most of what we know about Sophie comes from either her nineteen thirteen autobiography or an eighteen eighty six article about her by Thomas Burns. And so, like the best narrators, she was unreliable and I love.
Speaker 4: The chaos of that.
Speaker 3: I love it. It drives Marissa the researcher nuts. She can't stand it. She always has these caveats for me, and I'm like, no, this is that means it's good. Yeah, you're into story stories and Sarah not a storytime. So let's get to the start. Sophie Elkin was born on Christmas Eve in eighteen forty seven. Now, sometimes she'd tell people that it was in New York City, sometimes England, but she was likely born in Bavaria. She came from a family of criminals and they taught her the trade early, like mostly pickpocketing and shoplifting, street crime, criming one O one.
Speaker 4: So she came to the US.
Speaker 2: So not like doing like three card MONI they're not doing a circus crime. She's like cut purse stuff.
Speaker 3: She came to the US when she was eight, and her parents had already come over, and she and her siblings were joining them, and the family then settled in Little Germany in Manhattan's Lower East Side. Her dad was a burglar and a fence and pretty soon her mom was out of the picture. Your guess is as good as mine as to what happened there. But a criminal step mom arrived on the scene and continued Sophie's training is.
Speaker 2: That like an aberranth of thee.
Speaker 3: Here's what she so for yourself said quote, I was very happy because I was petted and rewarded. My wretched stepmother patted my curly head, gave me a bag of candy and said I was a good girl. And that was when she produced. When she actually brought goods home. When she didn't come home with enough loot, she was physically punished. She wrote quote, I was taught how to open shopping bags, feel out the loose money or the pocketbook, and get it into my little hands without attracting the attention of my victims. I was provided with a very sharp little knife, and I was carefully instructed how to slit open women's shopping bags, which are generally made of knitted cloth, so that I could get my fingers in. So this is just a little girl. So she and her stepmom they would hit department stores, public transportation museums, like anywhere it's crowded and people can get jostled.
Speaker 2: To do what she's trying to do. You gotta have a really sharp knife. Yes, you know, I mean to cut fat.
Speaker 3: I would have already cut my hands a million times, I believe, all over people. So she the first time she was arrested was in eighteen fifty nine, and so she was born eighteen forty seven, so she's twelve.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's about right though.
Speaker 3: Yeah. According to Barbara Gray's City University of New York graduate thesis entitled Queen of the Underworld, The Biography of Sophie Lyons, quote, one day in eighteen fifty nine, a patrolman named Sergeant Jordan decided to investigate the increase in complaints of pickpocketing at Barnum's American Museum on Anna Street and Broadway, the eighteen year old museum that was created by entrepreneur and master of Humbug Phineas T. Barnum. Barnum fleeced the attendees on the way into the museum, and pickpockets fleeced them on the way out. Sergeant Jordan arrested twelve year old Sophie and her partner, a twelve year old nuxman named Tommy Stax.
Speaker 4: What a knocksman is.
Speaker 3: A term for a pickpocket From that day, I had to.
Speaker 4: Look that aut interesting.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I think you just gave me a new alias, Phineas T. Burnett. I'm going to use that.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say Tommy Stacks. Name Tommy Stacks, So twelve year old Tommy Stacks is a tough name. So that bus landed her in the House of Refuge was a prison for young offenders on Randall's Island in the East River. According to Barbara Gray, quote, children at the House of Refuge were classified from one to four. Class four children were quote vicious, bad, or wicked, and they were accorded to fewest privileges. Sophie was a Class three, which meant that officials believed that she was immoral in her conduct, but not yet irredeemable. Her records mentioned that rumors say that the mother lived off the depredations of her children on the public. This we know nothing of, but there seems something mysterious in the case. The child is very quick, nervous, and precocious and needs training in a steady way. So yes, as you can probably guess she ever went to school, there was zero TI imagining that she went to her stepmom school of criminal enterprise.
Speaker 2: She may know her letters, you know, like I'm imagining that maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: She didn't get reading or writing skills until she was an adult twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: Oh I take it back, Yeah, I mean she.
Speaker 3: Could probably like identify letters or whatever.
Speaker 2: But people's shape, read notes and music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so back in her teen years, when she was fifteen, she got married. Oh yeah, Morris Harris was his name. He was a shoemaker and a pickpocket. His hustle culture like a side gig we all have. So that marriage didn't last if you can believe it. I mean, I'll give you a second to cut wrecordest Around this time, her dad opened up a clothing store and then he ran this fence business out of there, so it was more hot goods clearing house than house of high fashion. Sophie was working at the time for one of the greatest fences of them all, none other than Fredrika marm Mandelbam. Oh yeah, so Sophie was her star pupil. She was part of an elite squad of dedicated confidence women who steal cash and jewels while stealing hearts. These are their stories. You know how music producers hire young folks to be in a band like the Monkeys Menudo, This was like that, so mar mandelbomb. She put together a crew that included a well known pickpocket, Kate Gorman, and then her future husband, an accomplished bank robber named John red Leary. And then another fella in the mix was a quote dashing bank burglar named Edward ned Lyons. Sophie found a partner both in life and crime.
Speaker 2: Both of them did apparently prepare.
Speaker 3: Matchmaking thing double dating. And so she's eighteen at this point, now entering into her second marriage. Criminal two of four in her matrimonial record. So a little about ned ned was about a decade older than Sophie eight or so. Yeah, and he was born in England to a very law abiding family. And that's probably where Sophie borrowed the occasional phony origin story, I got you. So he arrived in the States in eighteen fifty, and he immediately started breaking the law. According to the New York Times quote, Lions was big and strong and handsome and had a heavy red mustache. When he met Sophie soon after the Civil War, he'd been doing big jobs for several years. She helped him do bigger.
Speaker 2: And how did he avoid the Civil War?
Speaker 3: Well, you'll find out, you know, I know that you just can't resist a heavy red mustache.
Speaker 2: Tucker for a man, especially if it's red like you could see it from across the.
Speaker 4: Road a yell. Ned.
Speaker 3: He got his criminal start as a bounty jumper in the Civil War. Is at the time you could pay your way out of service in the Union or even Confederate.
Speaker 2: Army outside, especially the confederatescy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when the government would turn around and offer that money as a sort of signing bonus to new draftees a bounty to serve, so Ned would enlist, get the cash, and then dessert. And he did this sometimes as often as eighteen times a month, eighteen times in a month.
Speaker 2: Finding enough draft boards to go to or whatever organization you would touch you If he's going.
Speaker 3: I see that big red mustache come in. And so, according to the blog Professional Criminals of America revised quote, at the beginning of the war, he was a young man, handsome, daring, and athletic, and he turned his talents to robbing drunken soldiers until the game became risky, and then he became a full fledged bounty jumper. So you know, he's stealing the bounty out of soldiers pockets. He's like, why don't I cut out the middle.
Speaker 2: He's not easily identifiable.
Speaker 3: So then he fell in with this guy Jimmy Hope and his son Johnny. Jimmy Hope, Jimmy Hope.
Speaker 4: And Johnny Hope, the Hope.
Speaker 3: So Jimmy was a mentor, and then Ned and Johnny would like run jobs together. They robbed the Philadelphia Navy Yard in eighteen seventy, which was like understandably a big deal. That was a year after they had robbed the Ocean Bank in New York. And I've talked about that one before. They rented the basement next door. They got to tunneling in and out. They went for a week secreting.
Speaker 4: Away money, valuables.
Speaker 3: And like some of it was just too much to carry, like all these bags of gold, but it netted them a ton of money. Marm was involved in this.
Speaker 2: We's got too much gold, so it's just simply.
Speaker 3: Too much gold. Are you tired of having so much gold? After this? Ned was like, you know, I think how I want to go straight? So like he and Sophie had a kid. He bought them a farm on Long Island, Family Way, Yeah, and he wanted to live a quiet life. Sophie was not about that. She wanted she'd go out and she would steal stuff, just for kicks, not survival, and then she'd like, palm a bunch of gold watches, come home, hand them to Ned and just like laugh herself silly. And he was not amused. So he wanted like a trad wife. We would say out and Sophie was anything but And like he's like, look, I have all these wonderful things for you. You could be making a home. You're not allowed to go out and steal, he tells her, and she's like, oh, yeah, totally, And then she would go sneak out and steal. According to New York Times, way back when the house quote had everything a woman could want. He imagined that mother love would keep Sophie quiet. It did for six months. Then she put little George out to nurse and came back to New York and was caught and sent to Blackwell's Island. Little George also went his way. He was sent to prison twice before he was full grown, and he died in prison, cut off in his prime. Said his mother. Oh so yeah, like she's you know kid, Yeah, so crime is in her blood. She passes it along to her kid. She couldn't help it. But I don't think it was like a compulsion. I think it's just all she knew. I'd never gone to school.
Speaker 2: Well she could teach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everyone around her had done the same growing up.
Speaker 2: And it's fun.
Speaker 3: Well, and don't forget it's super fun. And Ned came from a straight arrow family, so he wasn't raised that way, so the farm life felt.
Speaker 2: Normal to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was like completely foreign to Sophie, and so she bucked against it.
Speaker 2: So he was more of an opportunist and she was more of like, you know, this is what we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was like going through a phase.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah, let's.
Speaker 3: Stop here for some good old fashioned ads. Yum is what I say, young coming, I love commerce. When we come back, we're going to dive into the particulars of Sophie's next phase of criminal conduct. Zaren Sophie Lions we're talking about here today. She got her start as a pickpocket, got in with a notorious scam crew, married a member of the crew, moved to the suburbs. Couldn't give up the life, so she went back to Manhattan and back to her con games. She called herself Queen of the Underworld. She gave herself that name.
Speaker 2: So it's a little tough for me. I mean, I can't speak you know it.
Speaker 3: But you're working for marm Mamblebomb.
Speaker 2: You're not underwear unless she's the empress, you know, right.
Speaker 3: But she sort of lived up to the moniker she had. Really, she had all these like super innovative for the time schemes and hets. So like a good con artist, she dressed the part. And when she was like swindling or scamming the rich, you know, you got to dress like you're one of them.
Speaker 4: That part of the con right.
Speaker 3: She wore these expensive gorgeous dresses, silk, you know, lace, satin, and then when she cozied up to the swells. They're like, oh, you're one of us. You know, she's at the same expensive restaurant or the ombre that sort of thing. And we see that with like modern day con artists and a Delvey as an example that.
Speaker 2: It's basically presumed innocence by association.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, if you're here, you want to be exactly. There's this magazine Our Detroit, not oh you are Detroit, but h oh you are anyway, they wrote, quote, she was a consummate actress, could be demure when it best fitted the circumstances, or she could assume the grand and lofty manner. She could weep or smile as she chose, So she's chowfolk. This manipulation extended to her court appearances.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet.
Speaker 3: Back to our Detroit quote. As a young woman, she was the first to employ the kleptomaniac defense, getting a charge dismissed by tearfully explaining to a New York court that her compulsive stealing was something she had no control over because of her upbringing.
Speaker 4: It's not a bad argument.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's some real way to it.
Speaker 3: Well, and it made her the victim, which is something con artists used to their advantage all the time. So her cons let's get to them. If her robbery crew, she would act as the decoy, so she'd make eyes at the mail cashier at a bank, flirt up a storm. Meanwhile, her highst team would like carefully creep behind the counter and nab the cash box or the stacks of bonds. How distrategy is the peripheral vision? Does it tell you? Or I think she's maybe like pulling him across the counter and like whispering sweet nothings like.
Speaker 4: Do you like hot dogs? You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah exactly, And so that kind of hurt my throat.
Speaker 2: I almost crossed the studio.
Speaker 3: So she had something that was the sliding drawer panel trick. So she would lure a guy to her room, you know, under the context of romance, and she'd offer the guy like use of a dresser drawer if he wants to put away some of his goal her jewelry or watches or whatever, just for safe keeping while things get a little steamy, and like maybe it's a large piece, like you know, you don't want it to be mislaid or damaged.
Speaker 4: I don't know, just go ahead, put it in the drawer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the mark would take her up on it, and then Sophie would wait a bit and then be like, excuse, excuse me, I have to go freshen up, and she'd leave the room. Then she duck into the next room where she'd cut a hole in the wall, and the hole led to the drawer of the dresser, and so she'd reach into the drawer, grab the goods, and then leave.
Speaker 4: And then the guy is sitting.
Speaker 3: There waiting and waiting and waiting, and then he decides to leave, opens the drawer. It's empty. Good job, Sophie.
Speaker 2: So she ran apartment no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she ran a lot of romance schemes. Like one of her favorites was wooing a rich guy, like say a banker or lawyer or something. And then she'd get him to come up to her hotel room under the pretense that like.
Speaker 4: He was going to get lucky.
Speaker 3: She's talking hot dogs again. So they get up there and she'd be like, strip for me, take your clothes off, and you know, this revved up guy would do what she asked, like maybe he likes being bossed around a little bit by her.
Speaker 2: Take off these wolf slacks right, and like.
Speaker 3: All the ninety layers and like give me time. As soon as he was naked, she'd grab his clothes and lock him in her trunk just as fast as she could, so the guy girl, yeah, she's yeah. So the guy would be standing there like begging her to give him his clothes back and looking all pale and flabby, and she'd tell the guy, like, you can have your duds in exchange for.
Speaker 4: A thousand bucks she'd sell.
Speaker 3: And if he didn't like that deal, she's like, well, I'm going to go downstairs and cause a huge scene screaming about a naked man in my room.
Speaker 4: Oh like I'm a lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Inevitably the guy would.
Speaker 2: Play law cost more, yes, and this fancy set of clothes.
Speaker 3: So she'd make a grand give him his clothes back, send him on his way. She also loved false compartments, so she'd like hollow out the heels of her shoes or put a false bottom in a steamer trunk to move stuff around. She was usually calling herself when she did like the larger scale stuff like that Madame de Varney. Yeah for that way. She's just a noble woman on a grand tour and she You know, she also happened to make pals and rob them and hide their treasures in the false bottom of a trunk, you know, a gallon of bone vy ash. So eighteen seventy one, the law caught up to Sophie. She got busted, She did six months in jail. And what's Net up to at this point? Please tell me, sir, I was about to ask. Yeah, he had to scratch that criminal itch too. He went back to stealing. Yeah, he couldn't help it. And I think it's also maybe the only way he knew how to make a buck.
Speaker 2: I was wondering farming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, but he was perhaps out of practice because he too got busted and he got sentenced to seven years in Sing Sing prison. Oh yeah, And at this point, Sophie just out of jail, so she hears about him going into Sing Sing. She gets busted again, this time for grand larceny and that got her a five year sentence also at Sing Sing to get there, that was part of the plan, like, this is part of the Sophie show. So she wanted to get as close to Ned as she could so she could spring him. So she goes to Sing Sing. It's on her best behavior.
Speaker 2: This is this is.
Speaker 4: A long con.
Speaker 3: This is like, yeah, she's she's so well behaved and she's convincing everyone so charming. It got her a job as a personal servant to the prison's head matron. Like she knew how to work people and like get what she wanted. So pretty soon she's nanny to the matron's kids. Wow, and she's like, you know, I need to get these kids outside get some fresh air. So they let her take the kids on strolls outside of the prison walls, and on one of her walks, she rendezvous with some of Ned's gangs. Like, hey, kids, you sit over there. I'm going to go talk to these bout boys and hang it out. Yeah, so please don't go. This is we're planning a surprise for your mom. So Sophie and the gang cooked up a scheme to get Ned out. And it wasn't like an explosive caper. They worked out a way for him to just waltz out of the place, and that's exactly what he did just a few days later, so they they it was just.
Speaker 2: With her charmed everybody, and she's like, you know, I need someone to chaperone me. Why take care of the kids.
Speaker 3: So off he goes. Then Ned's out, She's still in. Ned returns the favor. So, as Our Detroit tells it, quote, one night, just before Christmas eighteen seventy two, he and an accomplice drove a sleigh in a blizzard up to the prison entrance. They rang the bell and announced they were delivering fruit for a sick prisoner. As a guard reached for the basket, Sophie ran through the open gate and jumped into the sleigh, which then disappeared into the blinding Snow what that is the most whimsical escape I can imagine.
Speaker 2: It's just like Clement second poem.
Speaker 4: It's like a Robert Frost poem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he tried to do a sequel to I got another Christmas joint.
Speaker 3: Check this one out. It starts at singing. So New York was too hot for Sophie. At this point she goes to Boston and she said, you know, shipping up to Boston, she wasn't a sailor peg. She lost her legs still, so she hooks up with Kate Leary aka Red Kate, and her husband is Red Leary, right, So Red Leary and Red Kate are like punk names like they were like in a band called like bled Red or something, and then they just go by, Yeah, it sounds.
Speaker 2: Like aging punk, like turned rockabilly.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy pipeline, bright the way, the aging punk to rockabilly pipeline. So anyways, so Sophie and Kate they ran blackmail cons together. So they'd go to this fancy hotel. Sophie would catch the attention of a rich guy and seduce him. She'd get him up to her room and do the old clothes locked in the trunk thing. And one time though, she got ten thousand dollars out of the fella, almost like he cut her a check. She ups it and she immediately hands the check off to Red Kate, and Kate ran like the wind to the bank to cash it. The problem was that the guy didn't have ten grand in the bank, and the bank managers like, this whole thing is fishy. That's a lot of money. You are a rascally looking lady. Yeah, what's your name?
Speaker 4: Red guy got this money exactly, So.
Speaker 3: They put the screws on Red Kate and she they're asking her all these questions. She buckles, lets it slip. Where the rich guy was what hotel. So the cops went there, found the guy and Sophie. The guy tells him what happens, everything falls apart. Sophie and Kate get arrested. But this was like sort of embarrassing for this guy, so when it came time for court, he refused to testify or even like appear in the room.
Speaker 4: Okay, he just like yeah, charged right.
Speaker 3: So in eighteen seventy seven, Sophie moved to Detroit and her daughter Florence lived there. You know, she had had more kids, Okay, and it was also nice and close to Canada, so she could pop over the border when the heat was onep and the heat was often on. So she got up to all sorts of no good in Detroit. For example, the ann Arbor Observer reports quote in eighteen eighty one, she attempted to blackmail George Hendry, the owner of the Detroit City Railway, claiming Henry had been her lover and had fathered a child with her. She demanded reparations and threatened to go public if he didn't pay. Henry stubbornly refused. Lyons then tried to shoot Henry at his Detroit office. Fortunately, she was a bad shot and the bullet missed its target. She was charged with shooting with intent to kill.
Speaker 2: This is the first time we heard her get violent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's a little bit of a real history between.
Speaker 3: Them, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So she just got a little heat and decided to let one off near his head and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she may have been like packing heat and other occasions, but it doesn't get mentioned in anything. Yeah. And so that same year, Sophie went to the Washingtonaw County Fair ann Arbor is Okay, thank you. And that's also the home of the city of Ipsilante, oh National count And every time I hear Ipsilante, I think of the Elvis Costello song Sulfur to Sugarcane. It's on the Secret Profane and Sugarcane album, which is fantastic, one of my favorite takes anyway, So Sulfur to Sugarcane is written in the voice of this con man who's making his way from town to town, and like he name checks these towns and he's talking about the women he's encountered, stuff like, but in Albany, New York, they love the filthy way I talk. And there's this line, but I hear an Ippsilanti they don't wear any panties. And so as I'm reading all this about Sophie, every time I see Ipseilani, I get the song stuck in my head and I have to listen to it anyway. So Sophie, she goes to the County fair.
Speaker 2: By the way, do you think of Elvis is like the British son of Bob Dylan in terms of like how his attitude is. You're like, how would you play that?
Speaker 3: That's a good way to put it. Yeah, there's an interesting talk right now about Bob. Bob Dylan's on tour and you and I actually saw him a couple of years and he was very strange. He didn't play any hits, and.
Speaker 2: He came out there in the pajamas and bottoms.
Speaker 3: And like in like a hoodie and yeah, it was just very strange in.
Speaker 4: A beanie casual and then like and warm weather dress.
Speaker 3: So I guess he's still doing that, and people are getting really upset that he's not delivering, and they're not like you know, you and I are like, this is great, this is Dylan.
Speaker 2: I want Dylan exactly.
Speaker 3: And so, but he's been He's been talking a lot about, you know, in interviews, about his place in the world, that he's eighty and kind of how he doesn't really care, and times he realized that.
Speaker 2: That whole I don't say article, but he was asked about turning eighty and he wrote that really beautiful thing was talking about being like a king and a forgotten kingdom and all that means. It's amazing. I was like, dude, and still got it.
Speaker 3: I can see Elvis Costello falling into that category. Two, not that he's like a cuck who wears whatever he wants, but like the notion of kind of like moving beyond what is expected of you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they almost love to do it.
Speaker 3: I know. I think that's awesome. So anyway, Sophie County Fair. Someone else who was there was Harriet Cornwell, and she was the elderly wife of a wealthy Ipsilany paper mill owner, Harriet Cornwell of the Ipsilany Cornwell.
Speaker 2: I was just about asking Elizabeth so and the Cornwell that's another.
Speaker 3: Thing to say that, like you can go around and be like, my wife is a wealthy ipsil Any paper mill owner. When you're turning people, I'm going to it has to. So she and Sophie were there on the same day. Cornwell was in the floral hall. She's checking out the floral things. A woman sort of swans up to her. She's wearing this broad brimmed hat with a veil. It's Sophie. This is her signature. Look, by the way, at this point like she always wears a huge hat and a veil.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, but everywhere, so respect to that. So Sophie asks Cornwell if she dropped her handkerchief. So Cornwell she digs around her things and she realizes she had, and Sophie's like, I'm going to find it for you. And Cornwell is like, thinking, how terribly kind of her, and thanks you profusely. But I say, now, hold on one root and to the second, if someone asked if I had dropped my handkerchief, I would think they'd be asking because they found one on the ground and wanted to know if it was mine. Yes, so then and if they said they'd help me find it, I'd be like, how do you know I lost it in the first place?
Speaker 2: Yes, unless they just happened to see it dropped from my hand, I guess.
Speaker 3: But see, like Cornwell was quite old and not in good health, and she got easily confused. We aren't confused because we aren't in a crowded concourse, and we have the benefit of time and background knowledge. There's that, so we know that Sophie grabbed the kerchief as a ruse like a way to open up contact with the rich lad.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Sophie asks everyone around step aside, step aside, please, I have to find this incredible handkerchief, which she did, and then she hands it over to Cornwell and then poof, she's gone. Cornwell didn't even get a chance to say thank you the mystery woman in the veil vamous. So the other thing that was vamoose Cornwell's gold watch and chain that was also gone. So let's pause here, catch our collective breath. When we get back from these ads, I'm going to tell you about how this one act became part of Sophie's undoing. Zaren Elizabeth's it uh.
Speaker 4: Oh Zaren, Oh Sophie.
Speaker 3: Oh this is oh Sophie. So Sophie lyons she's in Detroit at this point, and the Detroit Police Superintendent Andrew Rogers was sick and tired of her, like she'd been pinched for shoplifting. Yeah, and he's like, I know that she's done so much more than this.
Speaker 2: But but she's not getting sent to like the Detroit House of Corrections a ticket or something weekend.
Speaker 3: Right, So he's like, I know she's pickpocketing, I know she's shoplifting. She's doing all sorts of this stuff. He just couldn't prove it, like, not by normal methods, but he was a creative thinkers there. He went out and hired this lady, Teresa Lewis. She was a widow. She was also totally broke, and he offered her cash if she would get close to Sophie and gather incriminating evidence.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought he was going to make her a target.
Speaker 3: He makes Sara like be a confidential informant BCI. So per the Ann Arbor Observer quote, in the summer of eighteen eighty one, Lewis went to Lion's house and asked to read the Bible with her. Sophie wanted nothing to do with the Bible, but she offered to let Louis stay as a tenant. Okay, I love this, It's so weird, Like I don't want to read the Bible with you, but I will rent you a room.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can stay here though, Yeah, you seem like you need a cover exactly your head.
Speaker 3: So Lewis moved on it. She took stock of things. She's you know, she's living there. She's relaying everything she sees to Rogers, and it seemed Sophie's housekeeper, Sarah Brew, she was getting a lot of packages like something that you make fun of me for. Yes, but some of us don't like to leave the house.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the packages, unlike mine, were full of stolen goods, and they were sent from the same person, Sarah Smith, which was actually Sophie. So Lewis. She squirreled away the package wrapping and took it to Rogers, and Rogers was like, this is very promising, scratching his chin. He had officers grabbed the housekeeper's packages at the post office before they were delivered, like this is police business. The first right, I'm like, is this do you have a word for The first box they got was sent from Cleveland, and it was full of watches and jewelry, like just a box of watches, us box and you know who had just been to Cleveland, that's right, Sophie. She actually went there for President Garfield's funeral.
Speaker 4: I was just.
Speaker 2: It was totally the air.
Speaker 3: And you can imagine at an event like that, that's a great place to exactly. So then another package shows up, and this one's sent from ann Arbor and inside Harriet Cornwell's gold watch and chain.
Speaker 2: Dum.
Speaker 3: They had Sophie dead to rights, so she gets charged with larceny from the person for stealing Cornwell's stuff. They just needed witnesses who could place Sophie at the County Fair that same day. But remember she always wore the big hat and a veil. It's a great way to hid your identity. I'm gonna try it. Don't start doing I think with facial recognition, I think I should. So there were some witnesses who swore they saw Sophie in the floral hall. Others were like, I don't know, I just can't be sure. Sophie's lawyer worked hard to support her alibi. He found a bunch of folks who would swear up and down that she had been in Detroit that day and she could not have stolen the watch in the chain. So this would have to play out in court, and it most certainly did Zaren closeujazz I want you to picture it. You are Judge Chauncey Joslyn. You've been on the bench for some forty years now. You also to the stint as the mayor of Ipsilante. You are known as a fair and upright jurist, if a bit of an eccentric. Today you are presiding over the case.
Speaker 4: Of Sophie Lyons.
Speaker 3: She's accused of stealing the watch and chain of one Harriet Cornwell. There's been some discussion as to whether or not it can be proven that Missus Lyons was in ann Arbor on the day of the theft, and to that end, a witness for the prosecution is currently on the stand ready to make an identification. The only problem is that Missus Lyons, who is seated in the courtroom, is wearing a very large hat with a veil. The prosecutor asks his witness whether Missus Lyons was in the room and if she could point to her. The witness says she was not sure. She'd have to see the face of the woman in the veil. The courtroom grows silent, there's a cough, someone else clears their throat.
Speaker 4: Missus Lyons lawyer.
Speaker 3: Leans over and whispers to her. You're hoping he's telling her to raise that magnific veil. Missus Lyons is silent. Her lawyer whispers again, your honor, The prosecutor pleads, can you just instruct the defendant to raise her veil so that the witness may attempt to make an identification? You sigh and tell Missus Lyons to do just that. She sits not moving. You bang your gabble, Missus Lions, you bark, do raise your veil and make your face visible. Sophie Lyons springs to her feet, sending her chairs skidding across the.
Speaker 4: Floor behind her.
Speaker 3: The crowd in the courtin gasps. She reaches up and rips the hat and veil from her head, tossing them aside. They come to a clunking, landing on the bailiff's table. The crowd gasps again.
Speaker 4: You now see that she's.
Speaker 3: Wearing a pretty crazy looking blonde wig. She rips the wig from her head and tosses to the side. It lands in her lawyer's lap. Then, before you know it, she has scrabbled up over the table and is darting toward the witness stand.
Speaker 4: She knocks over a.
Speaker 3: Stack of papers on the prosecutor's table. As she passes, she gets right in the face of the witness.
Speaker 4: Is this good enough?
Speaker 3: She hisses, Can you see me now? The witness mumbles something. You have to admit that you are loving every second of this, but you have to get things back under control.
Speaker 4: You bang your gavel. Missus lyons that is enough.
Speaker 3: You in tone, still facing the witness and having never turned to show her face to the courtroom, she extends her left arm, puts her left hand out and snaps her fingers. Then she wiggles her fingers and impatiently snaps again. Her lawyer jumps to his feet, carrying her wig. He grabs the hat and veil from the bailiff as he passes. Now he's next to her, handing her the wig. She makes a contorted face at the witness and adjusts her hair piece. Then she's handed the hat and veil. She once again mean mugs the witness and she ad just the hat on her head. Before she lowers the veil, she looks at you and winks. Then her visage is once again shielded from sight. She turns and heads back to her seat. She curtsies before she sits. The crowd in the courtrooms collaps, ten minute recess, you call out, banging your gavel. So this, this sort of foolishness was par for the course with Sophie in court theater. Oh yeah, she'd wail and moan that if she went to prison there'd be no one to care for her five kids, and like some of them are grown, but she didn't talk about that. Sometimes she would shout threats at witnesses while they're on the stand. She insulted just about everybody in the room and like this made it the hottest ticket in town. Oh yeah, everyone wanted to see the spectacle and they really loved when she insulted the Bible thumping ci Teresa Lewis. Because see, here's the thing. The stage had been set for their rivalry already, because before Sophie was formally charged in the Cornwell case, she accused Louis of stealing from her, and that went to trial first, and it was an absolute zoo. She was like cracking jokes about Louis on the stand, like loving to read the Bible and how it got enough, I don't want to hear it. And then courtroom's cracking up as she's making all these jokes. According to the ann Arbor Observer quote in court and ann Arbor, Lyons and Lewis even physically fought. At one point, the judge ordered the two women to stand next to each other in order to compare their height. Lions took the opportunity to bash into Lewis, sending her flying across the courtroom.
Speaker 4: Why did they have.
Speaker 3: To compare height? The whole thing is a mess. So Lewis is acquitted. Sophie not so lucky. March eighteen eighty two, she gets convicted of stealing the watch in the chain. She was sentenced to four years and eleven months at the Detroit House of Correction di ho CO they call it. She did seven months and then the Michigan Supreme Court reversed her conviction, and so she gets tried again, convicted a second time in February eighteen eighty three, goes back to prison, gets out a couple months later because the court overturns her second conviction. Really, this was taking a toll on her, like the case has to be tried one more time. Sophie's begging for them to drop the charges. She's like I'm tired, I'm broke, I'm sick. I can't do it. I don't have it in me. Sorry. Back to court she goes. But the joke was on them because March eighteen eighty four she's found not guilty.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: So finally free, Sophie went right back to the life. She spent the next fifteen years, as the ann Arbor Observer put it, quote shoplifting, pickpocketing, robbing banks and blackmailings, blackmailing people all over the Midwest and East Coast and in Europe, and ultimately she returned to her home in Detroit.
Speaker 4: So yeah, she liked the weather.
Speaker 3: She kicked it all off in New York, but it wasn't like the best plan. So she gets busted in eighteen eighty six robbing dry goods dealers on Sixth Avenue. She stole silk. She gave her name for that as Kate Wilson, and they didn't figure out her identity until the day of the trial in June tenth, eighteen eighty six. If she gets convicted and then she's sentenced to six months at the Penitentiarum Blackwells Island, so she gets out, she ups her game stays away from the small jobs that were her previous undoing. So she went big, which seems to be the way to get away with crime, if we've learned.
Speaker 2: It in America.
Speaker 4: Gotta go big.
Speaker 3: And like the thing is, she had money and she had property. She bounced between her home in Detroit, and like the French riviera, she went out to the west. And this is when she got into the diamonds smuggling out of Amsterdam. And like the hollow heels and the false bottom trunks. Oh and so by this point girl, now people are like, Okay, she's the Queen of crime. So she's not calling herself that they gave her the name. According to the New York Times quote, there was, for instance, the adventure of the charming American Widow in Paris. A gendarme near the Arc detriof happened to see the widow's hand in a man's pocket, arrest and then fearer the American colony was set by the ears at this horrible mistake, for who could believe it, and the Prefect of police himself was bluffed off the boards by Sophie More. The American minister took a hand on her behalf The upshot was that Sophie got off. Wow, so she just she can work anybody.
Speaker 4: Well, any man who's here, it sounds like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she wasn't phased by this brush with the law. She immediately pulled a jewel heist in Paris, a jewel she made off with two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in loot and like she came back to the States, conned the Vanderbilts into believing she was Mary Wilson, the daughter of a rich gold prospector the Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt.
Speaker 2: She goes bigger and bigger and bigger till she's like, are you the richest family around?
Speaker 3: Yeah, get over here. She's divorced from Ned by this time. She's all over the place with these wild capers. She took up with this guy named Billy Burke who was a bank robber, and they got busted robbing a bank in Mount Sterling, Kentucky in eighteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Sounds desperate.
Speaker 3: That didn't stop her. She goes back to Detroit. She makes a go of living the straight and narrow. Okay, she's turning over a new lead girl is way too late, Well not really, because nineteen thirteen, her autobiography is released by a New York publisher and the title Why Crime Does Not Pay.
Speaker 4: Oh, so she's sixty six years old, So.
Speaker 2: Now she's going to be like a public speaker. She can't talk about how to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The book basically it tells her life from like child pickpocket to bank robber. She explains her eventual reform. She wanted people to know that a life of crime leads to suffering and loss, like, even if you're successful, people.
Speaker 2: Ate it up, leads to the gutter or the right.
Speaker 3: But here at the same time, it's this like first hand account of the criminal underworld, and she's name dropping famous criminals and like detailing heists and escapes. And so the public loves.
Speaker 2: Jewel heist, right, well, this is what we do.
Speaker 4: They love it.
Speaker 3: But it's all of this cautionary tale and people love that too.
Speaker 2: And transformation, yeah, exactly, second act.
Speaker 3: And we're getting, like nineteen thirteen, we're getting like more and more uptight in terms of, like, you know, putting the strictures on society and trying to do all these morality tales and stuff. So Sophie told the press that she was all about helping other crooks get right, like she wanted to give them a hand, pull them from the life, especially first defenders. And she spoke often about how hard it was for her when she got out of prison and couldn't get a job, and that her only option was to go back to crime, and she wanted others to be able to avoid that. Per hour Detroit quote, she spent thousands of dollars on shoes, clothes, and groceries for desperate families and found them lodging. She provided holiday meals to jails and helped ex prisoners get back on their feet. So at this point she's worth about a million dollars, more than thirty three million dollars today, and she made that by buying up real estate in Detroit with her ill gotten gains over the years. So smart. And then nineteen thirteen, Detroit's booming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm about to give to get were huge. So May I got the Dodge Brothers and everybody doing.
Speaker 3: This exactly, exactly. So May seventh, nineteen twenty four, she was found unresponsive on the floor in her home. She was taken to the hospital. She didn't pull through, but a copy of Why Crime does Not Pay was on the table next to her hospital bed when she died, and that was in all the papers. And she left most of her estate to charity. In fact, the bulk of it went to this trust for fifty years to found a home for the children of convicts.
Speaker 2: Wow, that seems like there's a very earnest show.
Speaker 3: When the trustees of her will went to her home, it was like a treasure chest. It was like Scrooge McDuck basement. There's rings, watches, earrings, like sticking all these jewelry, coins, diamonds, pearls, you know, exactly to our Detroit quote. There was a giant starburst brooch with an eight carrot stone in the center, a twelve carrot diamond ring and a blazing diamond cross. So she had just stolen this stuff all over the wa but at this point you can't track it back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she's gone and.
Speaker 3: Some of it's probably like from Europe and who knows. So she was buried next to her favorite child, Carlton Mason, at Detroit's Woodmere Cemetery.
Speaker 2: So parawait. So parents do have favorite children.
Speaker 3: They do, That's what I've heard. So, Zaren, what does your ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many ways I could go with this. I mean, going back from her starting with the P. T. Barnum era of America of like yeah, hokum and like you know, conning people and you know, never give a sucker and even break kind of idea approach to like the nineteen like teens of like we are a society. We're going to and I'll be scientific about our you know, policing, and like we're gonna like be more you know, upstanding about how we view our civilization. And so everybody's trying to change their view, and she really covers that whole arc. But I like the fact that she really did have that transformation. Yeah, like I thought the whole you know, crime doesn't pay it was going to be like, you know, a lark. It was like she was doing it to like, of course you want me to do this. Of course I can get.
Speaker 4: Rich of doing this.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like it really really did change her. So I like when we find these people who get to enjoy like a full crime life early on, lots of great characters. You know, she's robbing the like the Vanderbilts, you know, you get it all. But then at the same time, she gets to leave money to take care of the children of the incarcerated and convicted. It's like, so she's seeing the humanity in her crimes, even though initially obviously she did not, because she was focused on her humanity, like I'm hungry, I need that stuff, but I want your stuff. And then she's like, oh, and she's got bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger, and she really did earn her nickname for herself. Yeah, she got to live a very rare existence at that time for a woman. I mean, like, my hat's off to Sophie, Like, what's yours, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Thank you for asking for the first time today in the last hour. I love that we've seen We've seen so many criminals who steal the money and burn through it and then they're always like one last heist, one big last thing. And the fact that she was investing throughout and realizing like once she gets to Detroit, she's like, Okay, I'm gonna start buying up this property and she's hiding stuff away and she's not like she's living a lavish lifestyle but not outside of her means. And so that planning and then as you're saying her ability then to pass it on is part of her redemption, to say, I'm going to help these people that kind of get forgotten by society. If you're the child of a context, they have anything to do with that, but you have to carry that. And yeah, and and the lack of resources and everything. So she really like honed in on that as the child of convict.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. She starts to see herself and others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess it's also she goes and has enough life experience to realize, like it's.
Speaker 4: Not worth it.
Speaker 3: And I totally thought at first that, Okay, this is another con this is another scam.
Speaker 4: So but and I and she like.
Speaker 3: All the other con artists who are just so charming and convince people to do whatever they want, are fascinating to me. So I like she hits all the notes. She's the conn artist. She wrote a book, She's in our book now, Sophie wigs Court.
Speaker 4: Why why just exactly? And with that said, I need a talk back Dave.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I want it is time that we bring back the summer of dark.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth just saying have a wonderful day and thanks for the show.
Speaker 2: I've been saying, we all enjoy it, maybe rough for you.
Speaker 4: It's rough.
Speaker 3: It's rough to be dark Elizabeth, And I'm trying to fight it because like these days, you know, I could tip into that really quickly. Any of us could, any of you could be dark Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I've been fighting the quicksand of the darkness. It's it's rough right there.
Speaker 3: I don't watch or listen or read the news right now.
Speaker 2: That's why I make them my mistake.
Speaker 4: It feels, yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like an irresponsible citizen by tuning out, but otherwise we'd be into you know, van to black dark Elizabeth, and I just I focus on garden dogs, you know, wordle like I gotta I gotta keep it light for my sanity and the sake of everybody.
Speaker 2: A lot of the spiritual to just say, be up the world but not in the world. So you've been kind of doing that where you don't read the news the way I do, which is a big mistake, yeah, in terms of ruining your day. And then you can still be like with the people you don't need to be with, not imaginary, but you know, like people of the news. You can be with people in your life and in your community and in your neighborhood.
Speaker 4: And I can do dark, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: It's just devilish in my own ways.
Speaker 2: Ah experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do that. You've inspired me. Talkbacker.
Speaker 4: That's it for today.
Speaker 3: You can find us online at Ridiculous Crime dot com. It's www dot Ridiculous Crime. You keep forgetting away.
Speaker 4: We're also a.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous Crime on Blue Sky Instagram. We're on YouTube, Ridiculous Crime Pod Email Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Terry loves your emails.
Speaker 4: Leave us a talkback on the iHeart app.
Speaker 3: It's free, Please reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Red Dave aka King of the ad Breaks aka Dave Houston. Our Ridiculous assistant is Terry Maldonado Fong. The fastest Pickpocket Nipselani Research is by Hortense Flora Bunda aka Marissa Brown and Count Bartholomew Gibberd aka Jabari Davis. The theme song is by Two Bits Sleigheist Team Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred producer Dave Houstin's wardrobe is by mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are fired Sing Sing correctional officers Ben Bolan and Noel browns QUI say it one more times Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.