Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Love Herts. Keith week Kwan has had quite a career, from childhood roles in Indiana, Jones and the Temple of Doom and The Goonies to a recent Academy Award win for Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. But now Keith finally stars as a leading man in the film Love Hurts. Love Hurts is a perfect date night movie with its mix of over the top action comedy and a ton of heart. Love Hurts Only at theaters February seventh.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome In Episode eighty four, What's Right with Nick? Wright we are live here on Thursday morning. We appreciate those of you watching us live on YouTube. Today is a special day for a number of reasons. It was just brought to my attention on Twitter. Today is just the twenty seventh ever what people call sports equinoxes, where the NBA, the NFL, the NHL, and Major League Baseball all are playing games today. All four major American pro sports have games day. We have playoff Baseball this evening. We have an NFL game this evening. I guess there's hockey games going on you I'm not the one to ask about that, And of course two potentially awesome NBA games as tonight. You have the Bucks making their season debut against the Sixers, who did not look good in the opening night of the season, and then the Clippers making their season debut against the Lakers, who also did not look good to open the season. Demonse and I were at the Nets game yesterday, as we will be staples at as even though I do not root for that team is our fascinating team and we have season tickets. So we will discuss that shortly in the show. But as we always do, we must start with what we are not discussing on today's show. Here's what did not make the cut. Drama at the NFL Owners meetings. Drama Jim Irsay calling out the Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft getting into it. Russell Wilson saying he has wolverine blood, which led to this tweet from Demonse. Well, there's the tweet. Russell Wilson says he's hoping to play this week, says he's feeling much better already, said maybe he's got wolverine blood. Demonse then chimes in and tweets to him the following Oh different, it was a different tweet on my apologies. Russ also tweeted for your glory, Jesus, and then Demanse with a spicy tweet, Jesus isn't gonna save you from this one. Russell, would you like to explain yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm just tired of people bringing Jesus into it.
Speaker 5: Oh, they're just like if you suck, you suck.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: It's like much similar to my friend.
Speaker 4: I gave him money, he swore up and doubt he was gonna pay me back, and like it came down to the time and I was like Hey man, I'm really gonna question you as a man if you don't give me this money back.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: And he's like, oh, it's a good thing. Only God can judge me. Okay, Well, ask God for the money the next time. Okay, Wow, let's go.
Speaker 3: Demanse said, there's something I want to say about this tweet. Little did I know he was going to use not only this show and this platform, but the open of it to vaguely threaten someone who owes him money.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean listen, the listeners and viewers can view it however they choose them.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, how much money are we talking about it?
Speaker 5: It was two hundred bucks.
Speaker 6: Oh that's a lot of money. Is it still old? Yeah? No, no, No, he's paid. He's paid off most.
Speaker 3: Of it, okay, most Wow, two hundred dollars a lot of money. All right, let's start the show with a team that's got a payroll of nearly two hundred million. But you couldn't see it from last night. The Brooklyn Nets go ahead to Monsey, So.
Speaker 6: Obviously you went to the Nets Pelicans season opener last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ben Simmons finally played, but the Nets looked terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, blown out.
Speaker 4: Zion put up thirty in his first game after missing his last season twenty five.
Speaker 6: Zion had twenty five in his first game.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, Okay, sorry about that. Was this a bad sign for the Nets or is it a good sign for the Pelicans?
Speaker 3: All right, so there's a lot there. Let's just talk with the Pelicans quickly. It's a great sign for the Pelicans. The Pelicans are going to be good. And if Zion in his first game in a year is this level and he's you know, you would expect him only to get better. Pelicans could be very good. You got some pieces well, and they have a move the I'm just gonna keep dropping these little breadcrumbs I think there is If they want, they're gonna give it a lot of time. And maybe Zion and Brandon Ingram are gonna be a great duo if they end up wanting to shift some things around. Brandon Ingram's a hell of a piece. It's a hell of a piece on a good contract, and he's on a max contract, but it's the rookie max. He's young. You could so that the the key for the Pelicans is is Zion gonna be the guy he's been for his eighty five game NBA career, which is one of the most efficient high volume scorers in NBA history. That's what he's been through eighty five games. He showed you again. I mean last night he was fifty percent from the field, and that's actually a downgrade from where he'd been. It was first game back. He looked awesome. He's flying around the court. He also got four steels. Okay, so that's the good, but that's not the most interesting. The most interesting is the nets. Hard to count all the issues on one hand, guys. So Durant's awesome.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 3: I mean Durant had an easy thirty and you know what, I shouldn't say easy, because nothing's easy with him because they don't run an offense. But he had thirty. He had I think four or five blocks as well. He did his job. But every other concern you have about the nets reared its head. They still we are in what year three of the Nash era, appear to have no interest in playing defense. This despite the fact that Kyrie Irving more on him in a moment, said he he wants to win Defensive Player of the Year. Okay, said that the defense stinks. They don't have any front court depth. They just don't. It's Durant Claxton and some guys was like, oh, they traded for roy O'Neil.
Speaker 6: Who gives it?
Speaker 3: Damn they trade for roy O'Neil. But the real issues are, of course they're starting backcourt. She have Kyrie Irving, who's submarine their season last year, who gave like it. Just the interviews he's giving are so weird.
Speaker 6: He talked about how he.
Speaker 3: Talked to Sham's and talked about how, you know, he has respect for the Celtics and the history, and you know, he wished he had handled things differently when he was there.
Speaker 6: The dude gave the double middle.
Speaker 3: Fingers in one of the most recent games he played, in.
Speaker 6: The playoff game.
Speaker 3: Out of the Gate. It was so it was Easter Sunday of this past Easter. They the double middle fingers. I just remember because we watched that game from my mom's house. Remember we watched the game winning layup. Sorry remember exactly when it was. He also, I mean, it's just so he's such an odd duck. And then there's Ben Simmons. In his first game in he was two for three, two three his first game of the year, first game more than a year. Fouls out in twenty three minutes. Fouls out in twenty three minutes, has no discernible impact on the game. On a max contract with three years remain.
Speaker 6: He also hasn't played basketball in a very long time.
Speaker 5: Let's give him a break.
Speaker 3: I understand that, but he is folks. My dear friend steven A picked the Nets to at least make the finals, if not win the championship. Brussard picked them to make the finals. A lot of people think they could be great. It is the same old Nets, but now they have added Ben Simmons, one of the least reliable MAX players in NBA history, to go alongside Kyrie Irving, one of the other least reliables MAX players in NBA history. And everybody gives me Kraft for Mike Kyrie, like, oh, Nick, you wanted him on the Lakers. Of course, we'll talk about the Lakers in a moment. They need shooting, and Lebron has shown you he's the one guyne Yes, yeah, but the Kyrie Irving legend so far outstripped the Kyrie Irving production. He's Stefan Marberry, except Marbarry at least had super affordable shoes and was a hero in China. Instead of affordable shoes and being a hero in the Asian markets, Kyrie Irving's got conspiracy theories and is a hero to some of the dumbest people on the internet. Kyrie's talking about wanting, but when they sit down with Shams, he wants to win all the hardware Defense Player of the Year MVP. This is where I remind people Kyrie Irving has been in the NBA for a decade. Every year five people get I'm sorry. Every year, way more than five people get MVP votes, but there are one hundred voters. They all submit five names, So ten years times one hundred voters, there's one thousand five names. Five thousand names have been submitted one through five on MVP ballots during Kyrie Irving's ten year career. Derek Rose when he was on the Knicks, name showed up on a ballot. Little Isaiah Thomas when he was on the Celtics, his name showed up on a ballot.
Speaker 4: David Lee, Joe Kim, Noah, Mike Conley, Gore on Draga.
Speaker 3: All of these guys in Kyrie's career names have shown up on an MBA ballot. Kyrie Irvings has not. He has never gotten a single solitary fifth place MBP vote once at the end of the year. Once he's been voted a top ten player in the league. And by that I mean he has been first or second team All NBA one time. He was second team All NBA once. Kyrie Irving has not had a single memorable or productive playoff moment outside of the first round. Since he left Lebron. He has talked about like he is this great player. He is a great talent. He is not a great player. And I that the Nets last night, you know what, they played like a team that wanted the coach fired. And riddle me that their superstar demanded the coach be fired a few months ago. It's intriguing.
Speaker 4: All right, next, all right, we got the Lakers. They got smoked by Golden State in their first game. They played the Clippers tonight, who they've lost seven straight against. Yeah, and game one Lebron drop thirty one, fourteen and eight.
Speaker 3: Oh quick, By the way, shout out the NBA stat adjustment this morning. They an extra rebround. So thirty one, fifteen and eight.
Speaker 5: Okay for the.
Speaker 3: Third oldest player in the league, a guy in year twenty. If Lebron doesn't play another game all year, it's already the best year twenty anyone's ever had.
Speaker 6: Look it up, go ahead, all right, twenty seven and Russ had nineteen coming off.
Speaker 3: The bench, or he didn't come off the bench. He came off the bench in the preseason. He started their game, which is why he had nineteen. Okay, sure, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Lebron's already making excuses saying, it's not like we've got lasers on our team or anything.
Speaker 6: Are you mentally prepared for Lebron's evolution?
Speaker 4: Is the good guy the good the guy with good stats on a bad team.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm mentally prepared. In the Lakers stick and he's right other shooting. I mean, it's a terribly built roster. It's just idiotic the way they've built it. They have right now the worst starting backcourt of any team that's not taking are Russ Patrick Beverly backcourt is just insane, and it's what they're rolling with. By the way, I should have mentioned this were live on YouTube, so you can do comments or questions in the chat and in the C block. We'll get to him. The Russ thing coming off the bench thing though, is interesting because so Russ came off the bench in the final preseason game Demons right, and then said he tweaked his hamstring, and then they started him in the in the first regular season game, and he was asked about the hamstring, and you know, Russ historically doesn't love the media, and he was asked like, hey, do you think part of why you hurt your hamstring was like your body's not used to like coming off the bench, you weren't warm. And Russ's eyes lit up and was like, absolutely, I think that's part of it. I've been doing one thing my whole career and I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 6: And this or that. There's odd.
Speaker 3: Call it rumbling speculation that Russ's hamstring injury was a warning to the Lakers. You asked me to come off the bench. I can't guarantee like my body can do that. That rut because by the way, obviously the best move for the Lakers is to trade Russ, But in the meantime, their next best move is to bring them off the bench for two reasons. One is they are eventually going to trade him. So develop your starting lineup and chemistry within the unit. And while he's there, maybe the best version of him would be running his own unit for five minutes, you know what I mean a half. He'd play more than five minutes half, but running that second unit for five minutes a half, all of that makes a lot of sense. And there's also been and I'm gonna talk about Russ trades in a moment, there's also been an odd kind of backlash to the backlash, and Barkley did a thing. He was like, trade him.
Speaker 6: This is ridiculous. You've stolen his joy for the game.
Speaker 3: Okay, Obviously Russ and the Lakers hasn't worked, and I'm a Russ fan long you know, over the totality of his career, but there is some accountability on Russ's behalf, not justin that he hasn't played well and he hasn't evolved as a player or adjusted his game. He opted into this guy.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: Letna say, he could have got out of there, could have left right and gone anywhere he wanted. He chose, which is his right, and mostly the vast majority of people would have done it. The forty seven million dollars he's owed under the player option over being in a situation where maybe he's more appreciated as more freedom can play his game.
Speaker 3: Whatever. So I'm not I'm not going to be, you know, playing any violins for Russ being in a bad situation when he had a player option and opted in because more power to him, he wanted the forty seven million. I don't blame him for that, but that is what happened. Now on the trade, there's a lot of talk right now, and this is the only place I'll defend the Lakers. I won't defend them in their offseason signings. I won't defend them in the lack of shooting there is oh, you know, before I even get to the rust trades. One other thing about that game, Anthony Davis was unbelievable in the first quarter and then the next three quarters. He had the same bs he's been doing the last few years and just kept shooting jump shots over the last two seasons prior to this one the single worst jump shooter in the NBA thirty five percent effective field goal percentage on jump shots. Anthony Davis. He either needs to fix his shot or play the position he's meant to play, which is center. Because in the first quarter, who's playing center and against Golden State was dominating their lack of their front line. And then he started floating around and doing this nonsense and wasn't that good the rest of way. Now on the Russ trade, yes, they could have traded him for Healed and Turning. You include the picks where I will defend the Lakers on not making that move as this, I believe demonse because of Big Vic, Victor wind Binyama and Scoot Scoot who's gonna be the number two pick of the draft, who would be the number one pick in almost any other draft. Because of those two guys, there is going to be an unprecedented number of teams that quickly this year decide, Yeah, we thought we were gonna try to get the eight seed, but we are out of here. We're trying to rip it down. Charlotte's an example there. Portland might end up being an example there. Utah is already there. Because of that, I think there are going to be more players available than in years past. So if the Lakers want to hold their powder to see, Okay, we know we could get Turner and Healed, what if we can get a better package from Portland? Or from Charlotte, or a team that decides.
Speaker 6: As far as like picks well.
Speaker 3: As far as players trade Russ and picks for rotation players. This year, I think that is. I think that's why they haven't made the trade. It's also why discussing the Lakers is kind of crazy right now, because this is not the team they're gonna have. Once they make the Russ trade, we'll see who they're gonna be, and then they can be fairly evaluated either way. It's gonna take a minor miracle for them to be a contender, all right. Next on a TV show or YouTube. Oh, by the way, our poll, I should say seventy percent of the audience says Lebron is just a good stats, bad team guy. Okay, that's fine. He's also in your thirty one, fifteen, and eight in year twenty. Seems good.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, on the TV show this week, you predicted Dallas beats Philly.
Speaker 5: In the NBA finals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and your fate and you say that you're fading the Bucks because they don't have enough death.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Meanwhile, the MAVs.
Speaker 4: Just have Luca and they also blew a twenty two point ly least, but they.
Speaker 3: Had a twenty two point lead. You gotta think about it like that on Phoenix.
Speaker 5: But they blew it like the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Are you blinded by Game seven Luca last year against Phoenix or what?
Speaker 6: What's going on? Okay, that is that's that's wild. What's wild?
Speaker 4: You're fading the Bucks but you're going okay, MAVs.
Speaker 3: Oh well, listen, the Bucks things a bit of a zag. I will admit I picked the Bucks to win the title to the last two years, and I believe they would have crushed the Warriors if they had been healthy. I think they obviously would have beaten the Celtics of Middleton were healthy. Your Celtics, by the way, looked phenomenal in the first out of the year against you know, Robert Williams out for like two more months, but they I mean, you do Robert Williams. Uh.
Speaker 4: I do think maybe there was a little bit of an overreaction to the Udoka.
Speaker 6: Stuff with the Celtics, just.
Speaker 3: A bit like people maybe overreacted in that that just ruins the Celtics when maybe they shouldn't have Philly. I know, so let me just explain myself on the Bucks thing. What the playoffs did show me last year is no matter how brilliant Yiannis is in an East as deep as this one, if the Bucks entire big three is not there, they can be beaten. Gianna's played a triple plus basketball. Drew Holliday was sensational and they lost that series. So it is concerning to me, not just because Middleton's not back yet, but even if he's healthy. Drew Holliday is a guy that has dealt with injuries throughout his career, and he's played a lot long seasons last few years with Milwaukee. Something tells me he's gonna get danked, and because of that, I just can't pick Milwaukee. I know it seems speculative. Giannis is the best player in the league. I just something doesn't feel right to me about them this season. So I'm taking that piece. I'm taking off the chessboard. The nets are a joke. I'm taking them off the chessboard. Celtics were very impressive in Game one. I will admit that.
Speaker 6: Let's leave them on the chessboard.
Speaker 4: It beat the people that you said were well, it's eighty two game season Philly.
Speaker 3: I believed the Philly pick was threefold. One is embeid continue is going to continue to play like a top four player in this league. Second was Harden was gonna be healthy, which he wasn't last year. He looked in this game exactly looked a little too healthy. He dribbled the ball five hundred and fifty times, and the third one elape from Maxi and in fact a fourth when the same thing I was saying about this unpresented team tearing their rosters down and guys becoming available. Philly because they have a great GM and Darryl and the Tobias Harris contract plus Tible is gonna be involved in a trade, I would imagine. I think they're gonna add another piece for all those reasons.
Speaker 6: I like Philly.
Speaker 3: Dallas is purely a bet on Luca. I don't know if you remember the series the fifty Greatest Players last fifty years, but Luca Anti it's already one of the twenty best players last fifty years.
Speaker 6: We talked about that.
Speaker 3: I think this is the year Luca runs the table on everybody. I think Dallas also, I love the Christian Wood edition. I know they lost Jalen Brunson, but they get Tim Hardaway Junior back. They don't have to deal with Chris STAPs, who he and Luca never got along. All of that, I think Dallas is going to have the best offense, not in the NBA, the best offense in NBA history this year. They had almost the best offense in NBA history two years ago. With a younger Luca, Luka is in shape to start the season, something he's never been. They made the conference finals last year. The Clippers are the smartest bet to come out of the West. But I don't trust Kawhi to play ninety games.
Speaker 6: I just don't.
Speaker 3: And without him, they obviously can't do it. So I'm sticking with the maps. Go ahead, We're late, but go ahead.
Speaker 6: Let's do her last one?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: You said Luca is your pick for MVP.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's take him out for argument's sake and say.
Speaker 6: And say who else would win? Yeah? Would be honest.
Speaker 4: Who gets his third Jokics with a three peat or somebody somebody else all together?
Speaker 3: Oh, speaking of Jokic, I'm glad you mentioned him.
Speaker 4: So all year, last year, Nuggets country, all years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Last year I heard, No, it's fine that Jokic wins MVP as a sixth seed because he doesn't have his two best players. They're a championship contender if they have their two best players. Yet, oddly enough, they have their second and third best players back this year. I didn't see many people picking them to win a championship. I many people picking them to make the finals. I didn't see that many people picking them to make the conference finals. And then yesterday they play a team that is trying to be terrible. They played the Jazz last night to Monsey. I know you weren't up for this one. The Jazz kicked their teeth in. The Jazz, who are trying to be the worst team in basketball, beat the Nuggets by twenty. Jokic got cooked by Colin Sexton and then did a thing. Nobody talks about the Jokic Loki dirty player. It's gotten kicked out of a playoff game for a dirty play. Remember he shoved Mark Keith Morris when he wasn't looking.
Speaker 4: Mark Morris this month, I don't know if that was exactly a dirty play, which one not The onle with Markus Morris when he pushed.
Speaker 3: Him Markkeith Morris wasn't looking and gave him whiplash. He missed four months and then yesterday, okay, yesterday, Colin Sexton cooked him, so you'll get ran down field, ran down field, ran down the floor, knocked him over. Neither here nor there. Point is Nuggets lost by twenty to the Jazz. Jokic is not winning a third trate MVP. The only guys to win three straight are Will Russell and Bird. He's not winning a third trate? Is I think an interesting and probably good bet.
Speaker 6: I also, I mean we talked with this before.
Speaker 5: What I'm not gonna say Lebron No, I didn't think her answer.
Speaker 3: Who would you think?
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, Jason Tatum?
Speaker 3: Oh, Tatum's an interesting bet. Tatum did have thirty five.
Speaker 4: I wasn't thinking about Tatumtum that man. I was gonna say as a long shot, Zion's percolating. Zion's percolating is a long shot. But if I if you were to tell me I can't bet Luke, I'd probably bet Yiannis.
Speaker 6: Uh you know what?
Speaker 3: Er Yeah, because now, especially after seeing one game, I know it's too it's not fair to do it this way, But I'm a little worried about Embiid's numbers not being off the charts, because I do think Harden's gonna have the ball a lot, a lot more than last year. The there's no one else in the East that is. People are like, what about Donovan Mitchell? Tom Mitchell's not winning league MVP. Yeah, it's just not Steph. If the Warriors have a monster regular season, and I feel like people were like, Steph hasn't won one in a while. These are the obvious picks, but Luke is gonna win it, so it doesn't matter, all right, Keep dropping your questions in the chat, take a quick sixty second break, come back talk a little NFL and some NBA before you get to your questions in the sea block. This is what's right. We appreciate you watching and listening.
Speaker 7: If your football team had one option in their playbook, the results probably wouldn't be great. The same could be said for your investments. Seeboat index options like SPX and xsp can help expand your investing strategies with cash settlement and potential tax advantages. If you're ready for a more dynamic game plan, head to Better with Options dot Com. Cebo Life is better with options. Your investments could be too. There are risks associated with Cibo Company Products review the disclosures and disclaimers at cbo dot com, slash us underscore disclaimers.
Speaker 3: Welcome back in What's Right, Nick Right with Demons. By the way, I've always told you guys to subscribe on YouTube. If you're watching right now live, you're probably already subscribed on YouTube. But there's one other thing you could do. I didn't the whole time I've been doing this. I didn't know what the bell was for. But we now on Mondays and Thursdays. Do you guys are watching us live? If you're watching it Monday or Thursday morning, or depending on where you are, we go live every Monday and Thursday at ten thirty. If you hit the bell, click it right now while you're watching, you'll get an alert when we go live. I didn't know that's what the bell did. Evidently that is what the bell did. That way, you can be a part of the show, not just by watching us do it live, but also by participating in the polls and the chats and the things that we do. If you're watching this or listening to this after the fact, don't worry about it. But you can always subscribe on YouTube and watch it live in the future.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 3: We got a game coming up in a moment, but first we got to talk a little Thursday night football, de monse Go, Right ahead, sir.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals take on the Saints at home tonight. Arizona's been terrible, but there are one game away from first in the NFC West.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, the MC West ben a disaster.
Speaker 4: And they traded for goaded Robbie Anderson after his outbursts.
Speaker 3: Why is he goaded?
Speaker 5: He's not. I think that that was sarcasm.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that's fine. I didn't know, because Robbie Anderson's a clown.
Speaker 6: Yeah, clearly clown.
Speaker 3: Years ago to manse when he was on the Jets, he came to First Things First and did an interview in studio and it's not what he brought his mom.
Speaker 4: His mom was there and was like like on this, like was trying to get on there.
Speaker 3: No. Oh, but was like it was weird. Maybe I shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is off, this is off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I should have told that story, now that I thought about it, I mean, you didn't go far with it. It was just I mean, and the thing he did. I don't blame a guy for one he Gouy to Carolina. He has just made some reckless decisions. There's an odd police body cam video of him from years ago. I so, of course Arizona goes and gets some Arizona, which spends draft picks on why receivers. The DeAndre Hopkins trade obviously was a great one. But then they trade a first round pick for Hollywood Brown. Don't get it. Now they trade a pick for Robbie Anderson. I just don't get it, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Good So, I mean, so hopefully he fixed it, he mixes it or something. Clyps Kingsbury is the is the favorite for the coach next favorite exactly favorite in Vegas for the next supposed to be fired. Really, they haven't seen Nathaniel Hackett and DeAndre Hopkins come in and save the season.
Speaker 5: Or could we see a new coach by next week?
Speaker 3: If they were smart, they'd have they'd fire Kingsbury. Now I've been on this for years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 3: I mean Kingsbury again had Patrick Mahomes in the Big Twelve of Texas Tech and never could win eight games. And the guy got fired at his alma mater where he was a legendary player. And then parlayed that into a head coaching job in the NFL. He's never been good ever. He is, however, not their biggest problem.
Speaker 5: Kyler.
Speaker 3: We gotta have a Kyler Murray conversation. This team has scored I think five first quarter points, like two on a safety. Maybe that's wrong. They have the Cardinals the way. I'm just gonna look it up right now. I'm gonna go through it as far as and I think we did this last week as well. But they played tonight and it's just been awful their offense. In the Kansa City game, they scored zero points in the first quarter. In the Raider game, they scored zero points in the first quarter. In the Rams game, I had just skipped one. In the Rams game, they scored zero in the first quarter. In the Carolina game, they scored zero in the first quarters. We're at zero. In the Eagles game, they scored zero in the first quarter, and in the Seattle game they scored three. So they've scored three first quarter points.
Speaker 6: Do I have that right?
Speaker 5: Am?
Speaker 3: I reading that right? Is unbelievable. They have been in games this year at halftime down twenty three to seven, down twenty to nothing, in a game they won. That was the game the Raiders threw up on themselves, down thirteen to six, down ten to three, to Carolina, down fourteen to ten. That was their best one against Philly, and then against Seattle down nine to three. They and then in the second half, Kyler goes off script and they make a few things happen. Kyler's got to be better. He's got to be better. You cannot be where are they in this for the season. And so the answer, the short version, is no, he can't fix it. One guy's not fixing it. Arizona this year has scored one hundred and fourteen points. Okay, that is more than only the following teams. It is, well, the Broncos were dead last, Chicago. It's more than Carolina, who had the worst quarterback situation in football. It's more than Washington who had a terrible quarterback situation. It's more than Green Bay and the Rams little sneaky problems. Okay, it's more than Dallas, who's playing a backup quarterback all year. It's more than Houston, Pittsburgh, and that's.
Speaker 4: The list they have been.
Speaker 3: But so many of those points have come and you know, fifteen of them came against the Chiefs when they were getting crushed like in garbage time. Kyler will help. I'm sorry, Hopkins will help. And I'm not betting this game tonight because New Orleans has issues of its own. Arizona has no business being this bat on offense after giving Kyler Murray two hundred million dollars, and he's got to take some accountability that I haven't seen him take.
Speaker 4: All right, next, two wrongs one right, it's a game we play. Yeah, yeah, we are playing two games. I mean two wrongs one right.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: First one big a star quarterback to turn around by the end of the season.
Speaker 6: Between Brady Rogers and Stafford.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna surprise people here. I'm gonna pick Tom Brady.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's I don't think that's a surprise.
Speaker 3: I think people expect me to be anti Brady. Okay, but Stafford's offensive line, they just lost their left tackle. It was already a disaster. I think they are in real trouble. Rogers doesn't want to take any accountability yet.
Speaker 6: The receivers probably hate him.
Speaker 3: Rogers, Yeah, I don't think they love him.
Speaker 4: Because I think the different between him and Brady. Like the way Brady's come in his old line and the way Rogers has talked about his teammates, it's like very different. I feel like with Rogers, I mean Tom Brady, he's more hands on, I wants you to be better.
Speaker 6: Aaron Rodgers is like fix it, go take care of him like that and.
Speaker 3: Like passive aggressive, right. I also think here's the thing that I think Brady has in his back pocket. One of the reasons the Bucks offense has not been as good as you would expect is because Brady is not hanging in in the pocket and reading the whole field, making throws when he's gonna get hit. If he sees a hit coming, he's getting rid of the ball immediately, which, by the way, he's forty five years old and they need him healthy all year. It's not it's smart what he's doing, like he is preserving man, and it's one of the ways you can play twenty plus years. This is a Lebron thing as well. For years. Lebron obviously, you know, had some natural physical gifts and spent a million plus a year on his body to stay healthy. But he also understood how to stay out of situations where guys, roll up on your ankles where guys, which is why he was Lebron was so mad two years ago when they were defending champs and Solomon Hill's clumsy ass somersaults into his ankle when his back's turned and knocks him out for the year and kind of ruins Lakers chances at a title defense. That's not that Brady. The one reel injuries ever suffered was when a guy, Bernard Pollard for the Chiefs Week one of two thousand and eight, was rushing the quarterback and kind of got tripped up in dove and instead of hitting him here, yeah, hit him in the shin and blew his acl. Brady knows how Yes, Brady's pliable and spends all this time and money on his body too, but he also knows how to avoid hits. So why am I bringing that up?
Speaker 6: I think come the end of.
Speaker 3: The year, particularly come the postseason, Brady's gonna stand in the pocket and take those hits and make the throws. So I think there's another level that he has the ability to unlock that he's saving because he does want to be banged up throughout the year. So for that reason, the fact that Rogers is having the worst year of his career. Stafford's offensive line and weapons are disaster and Stafford, it should be noted, last year led the NFL in interceptions. Last year led the NFL and pick sixes even though they won the Super Bowl. So it's not shocking that is he leading the league in interceptions this year? I think he is. Yeah, he has eight. It's not shocking that he's leading the league in interceptions. Again, he's a high interception guy. So my answer is Brady next.
Speaker 4: All right, what's surprise team off to a hot start will make the playoffs between the Jets, Giants and the Seahawks.
Speaker 3: All right, with respect to the Jets, who are a great story. I love their defense, not only how well it's playing, but the personalities on a. Quinn Williams is that you haven't seen this video right after he was drafted, his third pick of the draft few years ago, big big kid from Alabama sneezed yeah just seeing it and blessed himself.
Speaker 6: I like him.
Speaker 3: You know, his brother is on the team.
Speaker 5: I didn't know is.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's his younger older brother, but Quincy, it's Quinn and Quincy Williams. They're on the team. Sauce Gardner is awesome, right. I The problem for the Jets is twofold. One is the AFC is so much better than the NFC, and the other is after this game against Denver, which they could win, and also I think are probably gonna lose, but they could win home for New England that snow walk in the park, home for Buffalo, than a bye week than at New England, then home for Chicago, Okay, at Minnesota, at Buffalo, home for Detroit, home for the Prince that was promised, then all the way across the country at Seattle, then at Miami in the final week of the year. It's a brutal rem schedule. So I'm gonna cross the Jets off Seattle. I would like to believe in because I think it is such you know, I have shorted the Russell Wilson stock and nothing would be better than them, actually, a team that people thought was tanking making the postseason, them finishing with a better record than Denver. I do think they might finish with a better record than Denver, and they they have some winnable games left, but a and we got to see if the Rams get it together. But they also still have on their schedule. They're at the Chargers this week, they're home for the Giants, who will get to They still have at Tampa, at Kansas City, two games against the Rams I mentioned home for San Francisco. I think Seattle could have.
Speaker 6: A really good year not make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: The Giants, on the other hand, right now the Vegas has the Cowboys as my eight hundred to make the playoffs, risk eight hundred to win one hundred and the Cowboys making the playoffs and the Giants only minus one ninety. I disagree with that. I think the Giants, even if they lose their next two games, which they could at Jacksonville and at Seattle, they then get a bye, and they have on their schedule home for Houston, home for Detroit, two more against Washington, and a home game against Indy that doesn't even include the game against Dallas, two against Philly, and one against Minnesota. They if they even if they lose to Jacksonville and Seattle, they can get to ten wins without beating one good team.
Speaker 5: They can get to.
Speaker 3: Ten wins just by beating Houston, Detroit, Washington twice in Indy. I think the Giants are gonna.
Speaker 6: Make the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Is the short version of that?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Next, definitely the Giants. Man, your preseason super prediction was Kansas City San Francisco. They played this weekend. What do you want to change? Chiefs and AFC forty nine ers in NFC?
Speaker 6: Let it ride? All right, real quick?
Speaker 3: Before I answer that, we did get a comment in the chat King of Fedoras said the Giants if they get a wide receiver, the deadline defense is good, running game is great. This need to get a wide receiver to help make things easier for Jones. Yeah, I mean listen to Kenny Galladay signing is one of the worst signings in the last couple of years in the NFL. Kidarius Tony hasn't been the guy or healthy enough to be the guy they wanted him to be. I if the Giants is a city, well, Odell's the one wide receiver that I would encourage the Giants to get because you don't have to trade any draft picks the Giants. You gotta be careful here. This is supposed to be a rebuilding year and you're trying to bank draft picks for the future. You don't want to start mortgaging that when you're not a super Bowl team right now anyway, you know, some people would argue I wouldn't do it. Some people would argue with the Giants should do is go the other way, trade Saquon because he's due a contract at the end of the year, it's at the peak of his value. I wouldn't do that, but I certainly wouldn't be mortgaging future assets to get because the thing is this, They're gonna need all those assets possible because they.
Speaker 6: Still need a quarterback sorry Daniel Jones.
Speaker 3: So I think they can make the wider they make the players without adding a wide receiver. Now U said my preseason Super Bowl pick, they play this weekend. What do I want to change? I don't want to change anything. I think the Niners are getting healthier. They have the best defense in the NFL. Win healthy, and while I don't like Jimmy gen no one in the NFC aside from Philly is overwhelming, and I want to see Philly against that Niners defense. If you were to tell me too, the Niners aren't gonna make it. I think i'd sneaky pick Tampa, and in part that that's because I you know my buddy.
Speaker 6: Who you know real well, Laslow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was his pick at the beginning of the year, and I kind of dismissed it. He said, Chiefs over Bucks in the Super Bowl, and his whole argument behind it was like the storyline of Brady's final game, Mahomes finally gets him. Yeah, Brady's final game, Mahomes finally gets him in the playoffs, and it's the official handoff from the greatest ever to the potentially next greatest.
Speaker 6: Uh, I'm not listen.
Speaker 3: I despite losing to the Bills we talked about one day, I'm sticking with the Chiefs and the AFC. I think the Niners despite that terrible loss this weekend to the Falcons, they were so banged up you can't dismiss it. But it's not that concerning. And the thing that n Iers have going for him is that division. Nobody's better than three and three, So even though they've had a rough start, they're still tied for first in the division.
Speaker 6: All right, Next, a couple more NBA questions.
Speaker 4: Last year, John Moran sik the leap to a superstar him we will take the biggest jump this year between Anthony Edwards, Polo Banko and Zion Planchero Sorry, buddy.
Speaker 3: No, you got right, Carro? Yeah, and Zion. All right, listen, this is a tough one because it's the answer is I don't think Polo is going to be a superstar, but he also is a rookie, so like, what's the leap? I think Zion is already a superstar. I think Zion's already there. I think Zion and Anthony Edwards I expect to be really good, but I don't think he's gonna be like a massive leap the way Jah went from did.
Speaker 4: You see that him and Karl Anthony Town's weigh the same? I think Anthony Edwards might weigh a little bit more than him.
Speaker 6: I did not see that. That seems impossible.
Speaker 5: It's insane.
Speaker 3: Are you sure you're not giving out fake news here?
Speaker 5: It's either it's either Carl Anthony.
Speaker 4: I mean it's either Anthony Edwards is like five pounds less than him, just the same, or like he's he's right around there, and the guy Karl Anthony Town says, what like five inches on him?
Speaker 6: I just gotta have more six or seven exactly.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: The sports rush says, and and it's on Reddit seven foot Carl Anthony Towns is listed at a lower weight than six foot four inch Anthony Edwards. Yep, so yeah, I mean no, I mean that was a solid, dude, It's a reale. Fran Anthony Towns is listed at two thirty eight. Anthony Edwards listed at two thirty nine. I'm gonna say Carl Anthony Town's weighs more than two thirty eight, but it does speak to al solid Anthony Edwards is my answer here, I guess is Zion even though I think he's already a superstar, maybe others don't. I think Zion's gonna be first or second team All NBA this year. I think Zion's gonna be sensational. I think Anthony Edwards will be really good, and Palo probably wins Rookie of the Year, but that doesn't make your superstar, all right.
Speaker 4: Last, which title contender is most likely to fall apart and become a lottery team? Between the Celtics, the Sixers and the Clippers.
Speaker 6: Ooh, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Any of these teams are going to be lottery teams, but the one, if you were to tell me one of them is going to be a lottery team. My answer would be the Clippers, and it's only because they are the biggest injury risk of the three by far. I mean Kawhi's hadn't played more than a year, Paul George has had a bunch of surgeries, John wall Is barely played over the last four years, and so for all those reasons, my answer would be the Clippers. Sounds like there is mayhem going on outside. I don't know if you guys can hear that or not. Here's what I want to do. Take a very quick break and come back answering your guys questions, reading your guys' comments live in the chat. We'll do that as we wrap up episode eighty four of What's Right with Nick Right.
Speaker 8: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings very terms apply all State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 6: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 3: In What's Right, Nick Right final segment, We're gonna answer your guys questions. I was just showing Demons video, uh from last night of Colin Sexton cooking Nikola Jokic a few times last night, and then Yoki's running on the court and just knocking him over.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I.
Speaker 3: The Yoka's developing a bad reputation as far as his temper goes. And I know everyone's like, on, Nick, you're always killing Jokic. I guys gotten kicked out of playoff games for dirty plays. You hurt Mark Keith Morris. I don't love it. I just don't love it, all right, demanse, let's read the questions from the fans.
Speaker 5: Yep, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Oliver from Israel asked, yeah, he says love his show in the in the pod. Question, is Mac Jones the Patriots starting quarterback by the end of the year, If not, is this his last year in the league?
Speaker 3: All right, definitely not Mac Jones last year in the league? Okay, I mean, listen, he's proven enough that he's I think he's a fringe starting quarterback or a really good backup quarterback. I am not certain he's going to remain the Patriots starting quarterback. Zapi's been excellent and Matt got hurt. There's a lot of rumors about how about Mac. The way the Patriots wanted Mac to get surgery, he didn't want to get it. Zappi's been great. They're winning. So listen, and Belichick has not just come out and been like Max are starting quarterback the way he did for Cam a few years ago when Cam wasn't playing well. So there's no chance Max out of the league. Is there a chance he loses his job to Zappi, Absolutely, there's a chance.
Speaker 6: Go ahead. Next question, Oh, Brandon asked Nick, what's the book to start off the book club? Oh?
Speaker 3: That is such a great question. So let me So this is the book that we're going to start off the book club with. We're gonna we're gonna finish this book by Thanksgiving, and we're going to at the end of Thursday shows do a little like recap of where we're at in the book. Okay, that's how we're going to do it. A weekly check in in the book Club by the way, hold on. So the book we're going to read is A Little History of the World. This was written almost one hundred years ago and or maybe sixty years ago, and it is I had never read it. I found it in a bookstore about a month ago and then read about.
Speaker 6: It, like what's this book? Because I love history.
Speaker 3: And it is a true like it was written force young people, for kids to teach them history and ended up becoming consider one of the most accessible, easy to read, kind of like a cliffs Notes of the entire history of the world. It starts at the beginning of civilization and takes you up to the early nineteen hundreds. I'm only like forty pages through it and it's been great so far. So A Little History of the World by eh Gombrich is the name a German fellow. But I want to read an email I got and I hope you're Matt from I don't know if I don't want to get him in trouble. I don't think I get him in trouble. I got this email on Friday from Matt from Penguin Press, and Matt, sorry I didn't respond. I need to hire an assistant to deal with my emails. I'm terrible at emails. Oh, I hope this is still I said that demons, because I offered him that job six months ago. You did it for one day. I hope this email address for Nick Wright. I hope this is still the email address for Nick Wright and the show What's Right. I'm the associate publisher at Penguin Press, a division of Penguin Books. Most importantly, I'm a huge fan of Nick's and perhaps the only listener of his that perks up when he mentioned tennis and books. I've long been waiting for Nick to write a book. Do I remember correctly when he said he had started one? That is true? I turned to the book that I had started into our fifty graderes players the Last Fifty Years video series. But now with the advent of the What's Right book Club, even if it was a joke, I knew I needed to reach out directly. May I suggest as one of the first book club picks. My biggest bluff, how I learned to pay attention to my pay attention master myself and win By New Yorker writer Maria Konikova, who decided to learn poker with the help of legend Eric sidel as a way to understand what poker can teach us about human psychology, and vice versa went on to become a semi professional gambler herself. It's the perfect read for thoughtful to generates, which I can imagine make up the majority of Nicks fans is dead on please pass along way. Thanks Nick for consistently putting out the most interesting sports content, not being afraid to reach third rail issues like politics and race. If he ever has interested in exploring a book, I'm all ears. My group publishes wide range of genres, from politics to history, to science fiction to sports. Matt from Penguin Press. First of all, Matt, shout out to you, buddy. Second of all, that will be our second book in the book Club, my biggest bluff. But first we must all and by the way, Demanse, this includes you. We must all read a Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich. Are you going to read it?
Speaker 4: I'll probably download it on What what does that mean? Lean into the mic so people can hear one of those things. Kindle, I'll just buy you know what, Let me just go ahead. Let me just go ahead and hop on Amazon right now. And I'm going to buy two, well one copy of A Little History of the World, because I already have one, and I'm gonna buy.
Speaker 5: Thank you for scaring.
Speaker 3: People like to learn, Buddy that the I'm gonna buy that. In fact, I'm going to get the hardcover for me and the softcover for you.
Speaker 6: I like a good hardcover book, like I'm not.
Speaker 3: You know, paperbacks cheaper, but I like a good hardcover book. It looks better on the shelf. And then the what book.
Speaker 4: Did make the biggest Gabe good Ones, says Nick. Please check your LinkedIn notifications on your own time. We're making a sports show there. We're making a sports show here.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm glad. First of all, I'm glad Gabe decided to come into work today.
Speaker 6: That's nice.
Speaker 3: Second of all, Hey, Gabe, I'm just curious, what part of promoting of working on this show is that is what part of your job is you tweeting during the show about someone else's podcast. I'm just curious, because Gabe goodwe and at ten twenty am gave Goodwin at ten twenty am tweeted to Jeff Schwartz about the podcasts that the Kelsey Brothers do, just so he could get some anti Brady propaganda in there. So Gable, I appreciate you checking in today. Why don't we stay locked in on, you know, the podcast that's going on right now and leave the content to what's called the talent. If I want to talk books, I'm gonna goddamn talk books. Pardon my language, all right. Next question in the chat.
Speaker 4: Nicole says, Nick, been listening since early mornings in Houston, and you share the story of your first company, Bridgewater LLC.
Speaker 5: Maybe for the gambling show.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, So this was great. So me and Sean Pendergast and Ted Johnson, we found teddy Bridgewater to be a first round pick. Was even money on these offshore betting sites, and we were it was so obvious he was gonna be a first round pick that we pulled our money multiple accounts and max betttt Okay, it was even money, so a dollar to one dollar. And then draft comes along. He's not taken in the top ten. It's like, okay, it's no problem.
Speaker 4: And then he's not taken in the top twenty, getting a little nervous and then picked twenty eight, not taken, twenty nine, not taken, thirty not taken and let me find.
Speaker 3: That that who was who these people who was drafted and who had the picks. This was an unbelievable moment. It was such a good moment. So there's the twenty fourteen NFL Draft, so there were not a lot of like no doubt quarterbacks, and in fact, Blake Bortles went number three, and then there were no quarterbacks taken for the rest of the first round until we get to number thirty. San Francisco is the thirtieth pick, they have Cap they're not taking him. Denver is the thirty first pick. They have Peyton Manning at the time, they're not taking him. Seattle has the thirty second pick, last pick of the first round. They have Russell Wilson. They're not taking him. And we're like, oh my god, we lost all this money, right.
Speaker 6: And then Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Trades with Seattle to move up to number thirty two to draft Teddy Bridgewater and that was it was a great radio bit in the whole nine. So that's that's the story on Yeah, Hi.
Speaker 6: So many days. Oh, it was so great.
Speaker 3: That's such a rush on that drafts, Like six hours in round was waiting for Teddy's name.
Speaker 6: It was so good.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Next, uh dra Ben and as did demanse, So come to the pants peer pressure? Is he actually aware of the cold? Well, well, why don't you answer that? Why are you wearing pants not shorts today?
Speaker 5: Dude? Because it is cold?
Speaker 3: Okay, So it wasn't peer pressure is because it was cold.
Speaker 4: No, if it were ten degrees warmer outside, I would have came in some probably just black shorts.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so listen, he's his own man, all right.
Speaker 4: Last one we got David asked, will you please stop betting on the Jaguars?
Speaker 6: It pains me? It pains me too, David.
Speaker 3: Well, Gambling Show tomorrow, Jags laying three points three point favorites against the Giants. Giants are five and one, Jags are two and four. The whole world's gonna be on the Giants. All that does feel like an opportunity tune into the Gambling Show to find out if I get off that Jags narcotic or if I run it back one more week. Today was a great show. Great job, young man, we gotta this is exactly one hour. Well done by all the producers that produced this show. Kind of a crappy job by gave Goodwin who was producing other shows and then talking trash about this show and Victor better and by the way, also America Tomorrow's gambling show. We have the only audio engineer in the country to be a documented zero to five against the spread last week, so we'll find out Victor's picks on the Gambling Show tomorrow. Thanks so much for listening and watching, guys.
Speaker 6: What's right U