Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're watching clips of Gotham FC at the White House yesterday and furiously writing up a script for a new Prestige television show starring President Ali Krieger and Vice President Midge Purse, who says no. On today's show, we'll be chatting with Emily Adams of the Hartford Current about the Connecticut Sun series against the Fever, our favorite WNBA power couple, and whether this is the year the Sun finally win it all. Plus trash talk takebacks, the Internet gets credit for casting our new favorite TV show, Assassin, and we reveal your guilty pleasure Internet rabbit holes. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, everybody. Here's what you need to know today. In WNBA Playoff Action, we're on to Game two. Sunday's Game one action wrapped up with the number two Minnesota Links defeating the seventh seed at Phoenix Mercury one O two ninety five and the number four Las Vegas Aces beating the fifth seeded Seattle Storm seventy eight sixty seven. In the late game on Sunday, the Aces entered the fourth quarter trailing by one point sixty four to sixty five, but managed to hold Seattle to just two points in the final twelve minutes. That ties the Storm with the now defunct Sacramento Monarchs for fewest points in a quarter in WNBA playoff history. Ouch. Despite a slow start in the first half, newly crowned MVP Asia Wilson finished the night with twenty one points, and after the game, Storm coach Noel Quinn put it simply, quote the MVP mvp'd. She's MVP for a reason. End quote. There were ten, count them, ten Olympians in that game, and Asia still stood tall among them. Uh amazing. Meanwhile, in Minnesota, Dinah Tarassi is one game closer to a potential retirement, something that links forward. Nafisa Collier, who scored thirty eight points and her team's win on Sunday, was quick to point out, saying with a laugh after the game quote, hopefully we can end her career on Wednesday. Ooh boy. Now you got to give Fee credit for the trash talk attempt in the postgame press conference, but real trash talkers know that you got to stand by what you said. No takebacks. Fee apparently doesn't live by the trash talkers code of conduct because she followed up that press conference on Twitter, writing, Okay, I just meant that I want us to win the game on Wednesday, so we don't go to a game three. Please don't hype this, clarifying your trash talk. DT would never but also we totally get it fee because we would not want to face the wrath of Tarase either. You see what she did to that door. If indeed this is it for Tarasi, she's determined to go out with a bang. She scored twenty one points on five threes in the Mercury's loss on Sunday. Meantime, her teammate Natasha Cloud had a career night, recording thirty three points and ten assists. Cloud is now the first player with thirty points and five assists in consecutive playoff games. She had thirty three and nine in her last game in a Mystics uniform last postseason. Of course, DT and Cloud don't give a shit about any of that. They need to get a win. As a reminder, Round one of the WNBA Playoffs continue with two games tonight. Both the Liberty and the Aces can secure spot in the semi finals with a win, while the Dream and Storm are looking to grab W's and force a Game three. The Fever Sun and the Mercury Link series will continue tomorrow. We'll link to that full WNBA playoff schedule in our show notes for you to soccer. Gotham FC became the first NWSL team in history to visit the White House for a championship celebration on Monday, with members of last year's title winning team meeting President Joe Biden. The biggest cheer of the day came when the President said this.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair to say everyone everyone watches women's sports.
Speaker 1: Got to shout out Justin Brown up together, who coined the phrase and printed the shirts. It made it all the way to the White House.
Speaker 3: Girl.
Speaker 1: And if you're wondering if Gotham is or isn't leaning into the whole Bat's nickname, here's your answer.
Speaker 3: Congratulations of the Bats of Gotham.
Speaker 1: You like being called the Bats? Goham? I like that? Did anyone else?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Really wish Biden would have said bad? I just wanted to hear it. Oh Also a little yes and moment. While it's true that Gotam is the first NWSL club to get a White House invite. It isn't the first time the White House is honored a pro women's soccer club. Back in twenty ten, then President Barack Obama invited Gotham's predecessor, sky Blue FC, which was then part of the Women's Professional Soccer League, to the White House. Kind of a neat full circle moment given that the current Gotham GM Ya l Averbush West, was a member of that Sky Blue roster and still as a Chicagoan, I have no choice but to claim East Coast bias. The only teams to visit sixteen hundred Pennsylvania Avenue are from New York.
Speaker 4: Come on, I mean, sy Sarah, want to remind us what year the Chicago Red Stars won the title?
Speaker 1: Moving on, Remember South Korean Olympic shooter Kim Yagie who looked so cool in Paris that we wanted her to start in all of our made up movies. Well, we literally made that shit happen. That's right, We manifested that shit. The Olympic silver medalist is set to make her acting debut in a television series called Crush What's the Rule Assassin Yah. She also recently did a fire photo shoot for Vogue Korea. We'll link to it in the show notes. What should we manifest next? We got to take a quick break when we come back. We talked to Connecticut's sun Beat reporter Emily Adams about torn labraams and sexy slumber parties. She covers yukon women's basketball and the Connecticut son of the WNBA for the Hartford Current. She's a Raging Philadelphia and a winner of the twenty twenty four Rising Star Award given by the US Basketball Writers Association, and she too is familiar with college town bagels and the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. It's Emily Adams. What's up, Emily?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Wow, that's a deep cut. Hit me right in the heart there.
Speaker 2: I haven't been back to Itpica in a while, and I missed some college town bagels.
Speaker 1: I was just back like two years ago, and I feel like CTB has even upgraded. It's better than ever before.
Speaker 2: That is the biggest thing I miss from college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also I'm so old now that when I go back to Cornell, I'm like sad about all the bars being closed, but I'm more like, why didn't we take more walks in the waterfalls? Why didn't we hike more? And I'm like, because you were in college. You were busy drinking. You were doing dumb shit instead of enjoying the landscape. So you were covering the son who successfully won Game one of their opening round series and were the first team this season to hold the Indiana fever under seventy points in that game. So how important was their length, their defense? How big of a factor was that in them getting that game one win?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was huge.
Speaker 2: I mean the defense has been their calling card really beyond this year for several years, even pre dating Stephanie White's time as head coach. That's sort of always been the organization's foundation. But yeah, they really kicked it into another level with Indiana last night. They gave them a lot of different looks that they hadn't in the previous games in the series. Steph White talked post game about Matchingdwana Bonner up a lot with Caitlyn Clark. Dewana Bonner is six ' four and has been in the league fifteen years and so putting her up against, you know, a rookie who's you know, six foot tall on a good day, is I thought, really smart strategy. You know, dB is someone who has had to be that lockdown defender in her career. She talked a lot about it during Phoenix's ten year anniversary of their twenty fourteen championship. That was sort of her role on that team was to be the go to defender. So seeing her kind of reassume that old role and turn into vintage dB last night was really cool. And then yeah, I mean, I think everybody defensively really contributed. You know, Dje Carrington obviously was huge, as she always is. She did a lot of work on Kelsey Mitchell, who got held to write about her season average and below her average since the Olympic break. You know, Veronica Burton was really really good for them off the bench, coming in a point guard. She ended up with some reps on Clark and on Mitchell as well. And then bree Jones and Aliah Boston were having a war.
Speaker 3: In the bait.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't know that either of them won it, but they were both giving each other a hard time. And that's not an easy matchup for Breezy. She's like two three inches smaller than Aliah. So yeah, I was really really impressed with just sort of the complete effort that they put together.
Speaker 1: Completely agree. I have to admit I was not expecting Dewana on Caitlin Dwana Bonner, who is a miracle of physics. She's like a human wishbone. At any moment, I think she's gonna snap, and instead she pops out two babies and continues to move up the record books of all time players. She's pretty unbelievable. And what's really cool is as well as that worked, and I don't see any reason to go away from that strategy based on how much Caitlyn struggled and how much the fever in general struggled offensively. But you can switch up to Djona and put Djona on Caitlin whenever you want, and that's a completely different vibe, completely different defensive. Look what a gift that is for the Sun to be able to have two folks that you feel pretty confident about making her life difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and I think with dB, you know's she's so good from the perimeter because of that length.
Speaker 3: You know, just to get hands and faces can.
Speaker 2: Just sort of disrupt all of those lanes. And you know, the Sun are so experienced as a whole, and the Fever are so young, and I think they really were able to use that to their advantage and kind of get them out of sorts early and they never never kind of found it after that.
Speaker 1: A lot of focus on Marina Maybray twenty seven points most off the bench in a game in post season history. She came to the team via a trade from my Chicago Sky to which I said, we lost a dog just before the All Star break. What has her addition meant for the Sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's honestly, it's been better than I even expected it would be when the trade happened. I think she has just given them such a different dimension offensively. Obviously there's some questions now with Ty Harris who got hurt yesterday, but you know, having her and Marina on the floor together has been huge for their spacing, just to have another three point threat, to have someone else who can take those shots reliably when you know Tie in dB don't have a hot hand. And I think you know you've just seen Marina get more and more comfortable as time has gone on. You know, they had some rocky patches with her just trying to figure out rotations and figure out lineups and things. Early on out of the break. But you know, when she's hot, there's really no stopping her. And that's what they needed. They needed a true scorer who is just going to go and get.
Speaker 1: You creator own shot. Yep, absolutely every time. Because we're focused on Marina though, which twenty seven points off the bench, and she's a huge laid addition to the team. There's a great story there. We almost didn't put enough emphasis on another Alissa Thomas triple double. So Sunday's triple double makes her the person accounting for four of the six postseason triple doubles in the history of the WNBA. There have been six, she has gotten four of them. How do you describe what Alyssa means to this team?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's unreal, truly. I mean, I just I don't I don't think I ever seen a player like her. I don't think anyone has ever seen a player like her, and the numbers reflect that. I mean, it's just the vision that she has as a passer is the most impressive thing to me. I mean, she just like sees the floor, She sees the way her teammates are moving. She has such an understanding of tendencies and preferences and who wants the ball where and then Yeah, I mean she's just a beast. I think that's the best word to describe her. Like, she's so physical, she can get downhill. You know, she's can't can't shoot, but certainly like has figured out how to get those mid ranges to fall. She's been you know, floating a couple of those in the last couple of games. She is an incredible rebounder, obviously with with her physicality, she's you know, one of the best defenders in.
Speaker 3: The league year after year after year.
Speaker 2: I think this is her third straight year finishing top five and MVP voting. I mean, it's just the consistency of her career with you know, the injuries she's dealt with, and you know, having been in Connecticut, which is not a well resourced franchise relative to you know.
Speaker 3: What a lot of the league is starting to see right now.
Speaker 2: It's just it's really really incredible what she's been able to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, part of it is like her style of play, this like bold Dozery style of play doesn't always match with the kind of player we imagine putting up triple doubles. So I think it almost comes as a surprise. And then there's that god awful ugly shot and a lot of people don't know that that jacked up look in Jay is the result of an injury and it is based in necessity. Can you explain to folks what a miracle it is that she's just even out there knocking down shots, no matter how ugly it might look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's absolutely fascinating to me. So Alissa has torn labrams in both shoulders. It's been like that for many, many years now, and she essentially taught herself how to shoot without putting her arms above her head and using mostly only her offhand because she she physically can't like put her her body through the typical shooting motion. So it looks crazy and it's not super consistent, but you know, she's figured out how to, you know, keep that aspect of her game at least present and at least a threat.
Speaker 3: And it works. You know, when it works, it works.
Speaker 1: I would literally spend it all day on social media, like finding people making fun of my shot and be like it it's because of Angel, Like it's just like the ego listeness of being able to go out there and be like, I'm going to get it done, however, and the ability, the ambidextriousness of being able to pull it off is it's truly incredible. You know, you mentioned the team being under resource. There was a story coming out right before that game one about them practicing on a half court at a community center. Women's sports is at a really interesting inflection point where there's an incredible amount of investment and so the halves are becoming more halves than ever before. You look at that facility, for for instance, the Mercury, you look at the new Valkyrie's facility that they've posted shots of what that's going to look like, and then the have nots. Chicago's I are one. They were literally bullied into announcing a new facility that that's supposed to come by the next couple of years and then the Sun. So how do the players feel and is there a feeling from the players about like you got to fix this or we out here, because in Chicago we've lost a number of literal MVPs because they're like, we got to play for somewhere that feels like it cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the center very much in the same position, and I think, you know, You started to see that movement with with the loss of John Paul Jones to the New York Liberty.
Speaker 3: I think that was sort of a really really.
Speaker 2: Tough player to lose for them, who had been so integral to that franchise, who had won an MVP with that franchise. And now I think, you know, they're starting to hit the point. You know, Bree Jones, Alyssa Thomas, and Dowana Bonner are all free agents after this season and you can only core one of them, so you know, they're in a position now where and dbn AT are not getting any younger, you know, they that is the point where you have players who who want resources and who need those kind of resource and deserve absolutely and you know, and I think we even saw it with with Tiffany Hayes who played in Connecticut last year and retired and then was willing to come out of retirement to play in Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Who are you know, the the topic has right.
Speaker 2: So you know, I think, yeah, they like currently they practice at the center in an odd situation because of their ownership. They're owned by the Mohegan Tribe, so they don't function like a typical ownership group. You know, this is not you know, we have money and all of our money is dedicated to the Sun. You know, this is this is an organization that is dedicated to supporting their community first and foremost, and that like is their responsibility and that has to be their priority. Which is why the Suns practice facility is their community center because it's uh, you know, a cost effective space for them to use. Unfortunately, what that also means is if their practice runs over time, there are events booked on either end of them in those rooms. You know, they have like workout classes and kids' birthday parties, and if they're booked in that.
Speaker 3: Space, that's taking up half of the yeah, for part of the world.
Speaker 2: Just so yeah, it's it's really really crazy for a professional sports team, and it is a circumstance of their you know, weird owners having.
Speaker 1: Ever covered them, I'm curious does a representative for the ownership ever speak about the team occasionally?
Speaker 2: The tribe is very kind of close off within itself, but yeah, they have spoken about it, and Gen Rozzotti, their president, has spoken about it. Jen has has specifically said they that a practice facility is one hundred percent in the near future.
Speaker 3: That's vague.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it doesn't give you know, a timeline, but it's something they're talking about. It's something that they're aware that they need to stay competitive. I think the question is just where the money comes from for that.
Speaker 1: Wondering about that community center, Do you know what the event was that was taking up half of the court.
Speaker 3: I do so.
Speaker 2: It was a children's birthday party. They had a little inflatable bounce house going on. It seemed like they were having a really fun time when we left. But yeah, they were only and I will say they were only on that half court for about forty five minutes of their you know, three hour practice.
Speaker 3: But it's the day before a playoff game. You know.
Speaker 1: Listen, that's a story for that kid to tell. You know how much it would cost to pay all those players appearance fees to show up at your birthday?
Speaker 3: Seriously, you know.
Speaker 1: We saw that incredible crowd show up for the Sun in Boston. Chance that team might be headed to a different city or even just venue as a result of what we saw there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's a thing.
Speaker 2: It's something that gets talked about all the time, obviously for this exact reason. You know, Uncasville is not near anything, you know. I'm up in Hartford and it's an hour from Hartford event and that's you know, the nearest major city. So it's you know, they're in a tough spot. But I also think, you know, the Tribe has The Tribe was one of the very early investors in the w and NBA. You know, the Sun, you know, we're filling that arena long long before this year. The Sun, you know, have had one of the most loyal and consistent fan bases.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 2: And I think there are loyal Sun fans who are concerned that they're gonna have moving, especially after how well that Boston game went for everybody, you know Jen. I asked Jen around that Boston game if that was something they were even having discussions about right now, and she said, they're not. She said, you know, the goal is the same Mohegan. The Tribe is invested in keeping the team there. But yeah, I mean, I think, you know, especially right now with the Celtics for sale, I would be really surprised if they're not at least sort of exploring options.
Speaker 1: It's such an interesting thing for women's sports. There's this balance between when you're in a big city, you do have the draw of millions of people that live there, the resources, the space, the venues. But there's also so many women's sports teams that thrive in places that don't have the competition of other professional particularly men's teams. And you've seen Yukon Women's Basketball and the Connecticut Sun and part thrive because they're it and that's the thing that you want to do and see. And yeah, it's interesting to continue reconciling those differing kind of sides of the coin as women's sports continues to get more investment. You mentioned Ty Harris, who had to leave the game with an ankle injury ended up sitting courtside. Do we have status for her for Wednesday night's game too?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately we do not yet.
Speaker 2: Steph said postgame she didn't have an update, but what they were expecting to, I guess do some more tests last night and all that just based on how it looked.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if she's available.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they make it to a second round, then I feel like, you know, you might see some some questionable tags.
Speaker 3: Instead of instead of a doubtful.
Speaker 2: But I would be surprised based on just how much pain it seemed like she was in.
Speaker 3: If she's if she's good to go for Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Tiffany Mitchell has been out with illness since July and just shared via Instagram that the issue was sepsis with six abdominal abscesses. Sonhead coach Stephanie White was emotional just a couple of weeks ago when she was asked about Mitchell coming back and rejoining the team on the bench. Now we understand why she was emotional. This was really serious. This was a life threatening situation for Mitchell. Now that we know the truth of what was behind her absence, are you able to look back and kind of look at how the team handled this both privately but also while trying to stay focused on the task at hand and trying to win a title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, I mean really like jaw dropping. I think this morning, I think we all sort of anticipated that it was something pretty serious because the team had been really emotional about it, talking about it and talking about her being back and everything like it felt like, you know, something something serious had gone on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Really grateful that she shared all of that and shared so much of the journey that she's been through because it really is like terrifying, and she was a huge contributor for them before the Olympic break. You know, she was really starting to hit a stride, had kind of established herself as that, you know, top guard off the bench before Marina came in, and so yeah, like losing her from a basketball standpoint was was really hard for them. And then yeah, I think also just sort of from like a leadership standpoint, you know, Tiff is a veteran TIF has been around the league for a long time, has played for you know a handful of different franchises, and was just somebody who I feel like was a real sort of rock for them and a stabilizer. And so I think it was really impressive the way that they kind of were able to adapt without her, And I think adding Marina obviously helped with that and gave them a little bit more depth off the bench in that exact moment when they needed it. But yeah, just I mean sending her all of the healing and love and yeah, it's I mean it's really amazing that she's even back with them right now. And Steph said lastly, she's she's working out, she's training with their strength and conditioning staff and she's shooting again.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's just amazing.
Speaker 1: That's great. I want to zoom out quickly speaking of their focus and their sort of goal of when a title. This is their eighth straight season making the playoffs. They've had two finals appearances in that stretch. They're still looking for that first w NBA championship. What will it take for the Connecticut Sun to finally get over the hump?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, and they don't have an easy path this year with you know, it'll be Minnesota or Phoenix in the second round if they get through Indiana, and even that I think is a really tall task. You know, obviously they looked good on Sunday, but you know, Indiana's not going to shoot that poorly twice in a row.
Speaker 3: I would be very surprised. So I think we're going to see a much closer game.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think for them, a lot of it is is a mindset thing. You know, their biggest issue this year has been consistency. They kind of just can't they can't put four full quarters together. They can't put you know, games back to back to back together, and a lot you know, they've kind of managed to eke out of a lot of these really close games and just kind of, you know, by experience and by talent, have just an to kind of get over the edge. And so I think now it's just sort of can they really lock in and put together four quarters and put together complete series and not sort of have the lapses that you know, cost them games like the one they lost to Minnesota down the stretch and cost them games like the one they lost to Indiana a.
Speaker 3: Couple of weeks ago. You know, it's so many of.
Speaker 2: Those issues were still there at the end of the season, and so many of them looked so much better in that Indiana game on Sunday, so that that made me really optimistic for them. But I think, yeah, it's it's just whether whether this group is capable of sort of overcoming themselves.
Speaker 3: I think that's their biggest riddle.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, there's a lot of pressure right now because this could be the last opportunity to make it happen with this particular core of players. Is there any talk about that or is it sort of the unspoken reality that everyone knows is hanging over this end of season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think we're all talking about it as sort of the media and the fans and even like stuff a little bit. But I think they're they're trying so hard to sort of be focused in the now and you know, focused on the mission and all of that. But I think it's it's impossible not to think about that. You know, this core has been together, you know, a AT, Breezy and and dB have been a group eight and eight and Breezy have played together for seven years. Yeah, now dB and AT and Breezy together for five.
Speaker 1: Melyssa Thomas, Dwana Bonner, Brianna Jones. Just for those who are uh sorry stories, we always try to make sure we're keeping the newbies up up to date.
Speaker 2: Two Yeah, but I mean those those three have been so iconic for for the franchise, for the fan base. They're so beloved, you know in Connecticut, and so yeah, it's it's the end of an era if if that trio ends up getting blown up at the end of the year. Yeah, and with the expansion draft and all of that too, I mean you just you're not going to see this group together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I forgot about that too. Yeah, over the next couple of years, we're going to see some real.
Speaker 3: You know movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, you know you mentioned that trio. But two of those players in particular very special, not just because of what they've done for the team, but their own relationships. So there are some pretty sweet, silly, sometimes messy love stories around the w We love talking about them here. We call it hoops and gay shit and the two engaged superstars with the Sun, Alyssa Thomas and Dowana Bonner. You're around the team all the time. I wonder how they handle the sort of excitement and also challenge of playing together. What do you see from them in practice and games off the court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: They're both like at especially is so reserved, so she's very like it's funny to me, she's very effusive with Doanna in a way that I feel like she's not in any other aspect of you know, talking about basketball, talking about anything else, but you know, just on social media and things like, the way that she is with ev is very very different from the way that she is just sort of in the world, which is really cool to see. Yeah, I just I love watching them interact with each other. It's very funny on the court just because they they will bicker at each other on the court, like they will argue on the court, and but they also have such a chemistry, like you can tell there's just sort of an understanding of where each other are going to be.
Speaker 3: AT facilitates obviously so well to dB And Yeah, I mean it's such a unique situation.
Speaker 2: You know, you've we've had you know, engaged teammates, married teammates before in the W. But I don't know, it's just there's especially I think because they aren't you know, they've always been sort of underrated superstars, both of them. You know, dB was was a six Woman of the Year for you know, the first several years of her career in Phoenix, and At has sort of always been under the radar compared to the Brianna Stewarts and the Asian Wilson's and and the names. So I think for the two of them, to see them this year, you know, get so much attention because of that has also been really cool just to see the support from even like the new w fans just kind of gauging in their story and coming to know and love them, you know, through knowing them together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, it's it's really cool.
Speaker 1: We've got another love story of opposing sides in this series. We've got djn A Carrington playing against her love Melyssa Smith of the Fever. What have you heard from Djna about facing off in this first round series?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately I missed Indiana's practice on Saturday, so I didn't get a chance to ask Melissa about it. But I mean, I think they're just there's so much fun the two of them, and they also are so you know, one of the things I like about both of them, but especially Djna is she's just so sort of unapologetic about everything that she does. You know, she says how she feels, and she says what she means, and she stands on it. And I think that that's one of the things as a reporter that I absolutely.
Speaker 3: Love about her.
Speaker 1: Good content, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's been really really fun to see them kind of I mean, we had you know, they have been such you know, the drama of the season, you know, because we had that that first game was where sort of everything reignited for them. So yeah, it's it's been really funny just to kind of watch all of that unfold over the.
Speaker 3: Course of the year.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they had they had their little handshake on the court before the game, and you know both of them were, you know, grinning ear to ear about it, and you can tell there's just they're very like they're definitely competitive with each other, like you'll see them go at each other in games. Neither of them shies away from that, especially not DJA. But I think you know they also, you know, they were together after the game, like they're they're pretty good. I think about compartmentalizing it, and I think you have to be.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the question we had because we hear a good game, are problematically competitive, and we can't really wrap our heads around going home with our opponent either the night before a game or after a game when we've just been battling it out. So during the regular sea and we were trying to figure out and we had a listener question about whether we thought that you know, DJ would be shocking up at Melyssa's house and Indie during the regular season. We saw get Ready with Me video that proved that, yes, the two of them were staying together at Melyssa's house when they were playing in the regular season. Have you asked, and if not, can you find out for us whether they've decided that separate quarters is the move now that we're in postseason mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have not I have not asked, but I can certainly find out that that is a question that I have as well. I think it is. It's so fascinating to me. I just yeah, I cannot imagine. And I've covered, you know, teammates who were together playing each other before. When I was covering South Carolina women's basketball, like, what was this the twenty three final four? We thought that they were maybe going to play Virginia Tech And at the time, South Carolina starting point guard was dating one of Virginia Tech guards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: I talked to them about just kind of the playing against each other of it all. And yeah, I think it's so different for us as like normal people. I think when they get to that level, it is so compartmentalized of like, yeah, this is work and this is life.
Speaker 1: I think it happens in general when I watch people be like kind after a game and like shake hands immediately after a heartbreaking loss, and I would be just like throwing shit and acting like an asshole. And I feel like, oh, that's part of what being a professional is is that you learn how to like.
Speaker 3: Not act like that, be normal about it.
Speaker 1: But Okay, your task, and we're going to hold you to this, is to ask about the living situation during the postseason for those two. We need to find that out. You mentioned that you covered the South Carolina game cock. You were a beat reporter for them, so you spend a lot of time watching Aleah Boston over the years. What have you seen in her development from when you covered her back then and what you're seeing from her now with the fever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I covered a Leah's mostly her senior year at South Carolina, and obviously that was such a special season for them. They went unefeeded up until the final four. And yeah, I mean I thought a Leah should have been the National Player of the Year that season. I've always been a big fan of the way that she plays. I just think she's so smart, she knows the game so well. She has such a high basketball IQ, and you know, she has super super elite footwork for someone of her size. Her post moves are really really impressive for someone who's been in the league for not even two full years. But yeah, it's been really fun this year to see the connection with Caitlin develop with her because it's the first time really since since she had Ty Harris in twenty nineteen and then Destiny Henderson a little bit in twenty twenty two had sort of a true, true, you know, passing point guard like that, because you know, it was a little different that senior year. They were kind of rotating between point guards trying to figure that out. So yeah, to see the two of them build that connection into Celia sort of getting quality post entry passes and things. This year, it's just been I feel like it's unlocked her a little bit. It's made her game so much more kind of complex and has allowed her to impact things in different ways. So yeah, it's it's really exciting to watch her progression, even just over these last you know, year and a half since since I was seeing her in college.
Speaker 1: It's also this very like buddy cop dynamic between her and Caitlin because Aliah is so sweet, like her just demeanor and her general vibe is very like I'm just gonna play basketball and be real kind and sweet, and Caitlyn's like I will murder anyone that gets between me and the thing that I want, right, So it's very like, uh, I don't know, I'm like lethal weapons style of like one of them is like sweet cracking jokes and the other ones like I'm getting too old for this shit. Let's just fucking go. It's been fun to watch, and their little pep talks on the on the sideline together are are really sweet too. Okay, we gotta let you go, but before we do, I know you also covered the Connecticut UH women's basketball team Yukon. So on a scale of one to like a billion, t how excited are you for this upcoming season? You know, as a professional journalist, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, might be pretty close.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's a pretty accurate number. I mean, I I came in mid season last year, so I started right in the middle of January, and the first game that I was working was the game where Aubrey Griffin tour acl and so that was I think that was the fifth season ending injury at the time, and at sixth by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Are you counting the mascot or no, because the mascot also suffered a season ending in I really like that was like so cursed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean it was actually just just spoke to Azy a couple of days ago, which is why I missed Indiana's practice on Saturday. But yeah, I mean it just seeing them back in the gym is so cool. Just to see them have everybody working out, you know, everybody at least somewhat available, everybody putting up shots. It just you know, it feels good from the outside looking in, and I can't imagine, like in that building, how much of a difference it makes to just like Gino has talked about that they can run full practices now, you know, in the winter, they really like they had seven players that they could work with the practs, so they couldn't even play five on five with each other. So it's I mean, I just they have so much talent, They're so experienced. I think their young players are really really talented. Sarah Strong I think has the potential to be like elite elite. So yeah, I'm super excited to see them start and just kind of see how how everything comes together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think also like this offseason, there is so much excitement ramping up to this year, which is the perfect follow up to losing Caitlin Clark, Angel Ree some of these players like there isn't this massive drop off, but rather, there's this incredible enthusiasm for the set of really young superstars that established themselves last year and then during this incredible summer of women's sports growth have become. I mean, Paige Beckers is like basically the forest gump of like cool events this summer, like the crossovers with the women's soccer team and the pro like everything. So funny how the Yukon players all had differferent signs on their back about getting them to practice and to focus on basketball because they were doing all their own things over the summer. But yeah, I'm just I'm thrilled for that coverage from you and for so many other great storylines for women's college hoops. But first game two of the Connecticut Sun Indiana Fever series that'll be on Wednesday night. We're looking forward to it. Emily, thank you so much for the time. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Emily for taking the time to come on now. If you were listening there, Emily mentioned that tiff Hayes, a former Son player, came out of retirement to play for the Aces this year and that she suspected the whole have and have nots element of the w had something to do with it. It sure sounds like Ace's head coach Becky Hammond agreed with her because after Sunday's game one, a reporter asked him and how she managed to get the former son out of retirement. Take a listen, And I thought her wording when she said she was going to retirement was very specific and it told me a lot of her statement said a lot.
Speaker 4: And I'll keep that to myself, but wish she said how she was retiring and she said from basketball.
Speaker 1: So I was like, you know what, she's still probably a great shams. She's over and playing, so I was like, let's go. Very interesting by the way, tiff Hayes went off in that game. She went eight of twelve from the field, including two of three from beyond the arc, to contribute twenty points off the bench. Asia Wilson talked about how much it meant to Hayes to have her mom at the game, saying, quote, I remember her saying that her mom's never flown and she was just trying to figure out when she could be able to come out here. I'm so glad that she was able to come out here. To see her daughter really shined bright under these bright lights, because that's what it's truly all about. And now Asia's got demands for Mom and Hayes after the Aces one game one saying quote, I mean she needs to come and sit in our locker room every single day. We got to pay the bills. When we come back, we reveal your favorite pages to creep on, Come on back, Welcome back slices. Last week we told you about producer Alex's new favorite hobby, although I don't know should we really call creeping out a face group called dorm room Mama's a hobby more like a guilty pleasure. Speaking of you, Gottaus Hook. So any juicy updates? Al?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, we are entering the roommate drama phase of the college experience, and so there are a lot of posts about roommates just not getting along together having drama and this one, honestly heart goes out to the kiddo. Someone writes, My daughter shares a bathroom with her sweet mates. The one sweet mate takes our long showers and then blow dries her hair for another thirty minutes in the bathroom while keeping my daughter's side of the door locked. She leaves the door locked and then leaves the dorm, leaving my daughter without access to the bathroom for hours at a time. My daughter tried to go to the RA and she has done nothing. We are at a point where my daughter is walking across campus to use the bathroom at the dining hall, but that doesn't help when she needs a shower before work. She has asked politely numerous times for this to stop. This time she left a dicky note. It was locked for six hours before.
Speaker 1: She had access to time Wow.
Speaker 4: Wondering what the next step should be. I mean, oh, I don't even know what the answer there is.
Speaker 1: I don't even either, other than you got to go higher than the RA. If the RA isn't doing shit, you got to take it to the top. There's got to be you could probably, I mean, the way that people are litigious these days, you could probably find some sort of legal loophole that allows you to sue the shit out of that girl for preventing you from access to like the release of bodily fluids and functions.
Speaker 4: It also just makes me so mad. Who designs a bathroom like that?
Speaker 1: Have a single I mean, I get it.
Speaker 4: Every point make it impossible to lock your roommate out.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. At the same time, I think they have those they call them Jack and Jill bathrooms because then you don't have to go through someone else's room to get to the bathroom. So I get that right, because you don't want to walk through You don't want your roommate walking through your room every time they have to take a shower, take a dump. At the same time, that also requires then for that other roommate to not be a raging bitch. Anyway, I think she should sue, because why not. Everyone's soon college these days. Anyway, we asked you, if you have any go to creep pages like Alex does, the ones that you stalk and read and maybe even share content from, but you would never ever ever like or comment on. And here's what you told us. One of our favor slices, Chicago based reporter Maggie Hendrix said, reddits am I the asshole? Maggie wrote quote, I don't want to be involved in messy situations, but I love reading other people's That's a pretty common sentiment. Twitter user Ladarius Brown said anything with pimple popping videos and I want you all to know that these two sickos that work with me said ooh ooh yeah, me too, me too. Disgusting all of you. Pamela Mudway our go to Slice. She's more my speed, she wrote. I'm obsessed with this Instagram page that follows a three legged raccoon named Dan who actually is a girl. Dan comes to the porch every night and has intricate feeding system, including a camera with audio so you can hear the crunchies when she eats. Yes, Pamela, Yes, this is the way. I'm obsessed with raccoons. Also, Dan allegedly had babies, so now there's baby raccoons in the mix. Here for it. Twitter user solo Flow seven eighty six wrote, does anyone remember John Tighter, the alleged time traveler from the future, even though there's no way he could be real? I always thought the lowres pictures of his time machine were weird as hell. No, I did not remember, solo Flow, but you just sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole, and for that I thank you, because my favorite part of this alleged time traveler's time machine was quote. According to posts, the device was installed in the rear of a nineteen sixty six Chevrolet Corvette convertible. Later post mentioned a nineteen eighty seven truck with four wheel drive. Also, the guy behind this hoaks Florida man. Obviously. Finally, Twitter user badger Maniac told us they quote used to periodically check Aubrey Huff's Twitter page simply because he's so batshit crazy that it was always worth a laugh to see people making fun of him and him shooting back with uber machismo nonsense. So for those of you who aren't looking at you, Alex, I don't watch men's sports. Asi. Huff was a former MLB player. He retired about a decade ago, and Twitter actually suspended him back in twenty twenty one for spreading disinformation about COVID nineteen, which honestly was a real disappointment for those of us who enjoyed his well reasoned thoughts on things like divorce, like this gem from twenty nineteen quote, Divorce rates amongst athletes will continue to rise until the justice system is rightfully fixed. No way, women who have never threw a touchdown pass, hit a game winning three, or hit a two oho slider deserve half a man's hard earned money just for having his babies. It's good stuff, really good. Anyway, Huff got his account back after Elon Musk bought X and we're all clearly worse off for it. Thanks for sending those slices. You've got a new assignment now because, as you know, we love that you're listening. But we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. We want to know your ideal spectators setup. With the WNBA playoffs in full force, where do you want to be at the arena, at home on the couch with your favorite snacks and your own bathroom out and about running errands, or at the club watch it on your phone at a team sponsored watch party. Let us know. I'll throw out a pull on X at Sarah Spain. Make sure you make your pick. Also follow Emily on Twitter slash x. She's at EA Adams six. We always love to hear from you. Hit us up on email, good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy watch stories about humans being reunited with their long lost pets. Ten out of ten. Good Boys Review. Whenever you need a bit of hope and a good cry, these stories have got you covered. Here's one. Back in June, a California couple, the Anguinos, went camping in Yellowstone National Park with their cat Rainbow spelled r A y N E B e a U. We have no choice but to stan anyway, Rainbow got away. After the couple spent five days searching for him, they were left thinking he was gone forever, and they made the heartbreaking choice to drive home without him. Rainbow sister Star was mewing the whole way back. Fast forward two months, when Rainbow was found wandering the streets in Roseville, California, three hours north of where the Anguinos live and eight hundred plus miles from Yellowstone. A local shelter worker was able to grab him and identify him thanks to his microchip and reunite him with his humans. It's just like the old movie The Incredible Journey and the nineteen nineties follow up Homeward Bound. What you haven't seen them, go watch them immediately. Now it's your turn rate and review Good Game with Sarah Spain. Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow. Good Game, Rainbow, Good Game, Emily Good Attempt, Nafisa, Hugh Labram's Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Mish Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rutterer. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rutterer, Brittany Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain