Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: I love Dan Patrick alway.
Speaker 1: Go home to the biggest guests and best sports talk on radio.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite.
Speaker 1: Normally, Oh the Dan Patrick.
Speaker 5: Hope you're missus Watson.
Speaker 1: Today, Dan and the dannts are off.
Speaker 5: Don't see another radio show min event.
Speaker 1: But instead you get Doug Gottlieb. But you're oncasting from the Mercedes Man Cave. This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 6: The God Morning Tia. It's the Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. iHeartRadio. App I'm Doug Golly, Dan byer Born and Doug Summer's over kids sor right, put the lawn furniture away and start to pack up. And I know there's a big windstorm. It's really interesting. I don't know how much you're in the weather, Dan, because although you're a Midwesterner, you live in southern California obviously, and one of the things you forget and I like, I don't know if you ever seen the movie l a Story, old Steve Martin movie.
Speaker 3: Have not?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, it's a it's not a it's not a new one. It's it's I think late eighties or early nineties or whatever. But the idea of Steve Martin is a he's a weather man in LA and you know, the weather is the same every day in LA, so he actually records his forecast and then anyway, the point is that I found, you know, of my life grown up in southern California and live in the last seven half years in southern California, like you never check the weather very rarely, whereas you're in the Midwest, you check or now and you check the weather right because it's all the time. But you know, yesterday morning, I got up here in north eastern Wisconsin and see a lot of wind, a lot of wind, and then when the wind died down, there was no humidity at all. It's perfect, like it's going to be seventy seven, seventy eight Chamber of Commerce day. But as you know from growing up here and people in the East Coast note, because the wind is going through the East Coast today, some pretty big windstorms. It's like when the humidity cuts, you're like, oh, that's it, Summer's over. Damn it, that's it.
Speaker 5: It's done.
Speaker 6: She's literally literally done. It's like the last day of the summer the fair when half the places are packed up, packed up shop to go home.
Speaker 2: It is without fail that the best week of summer will be the first week of school.
Speaker 7: Without fail. Absolutely it always happens like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it doesn't matter when the school like you start early, you start late, it doesn't matter. They're good back and like, oh man, I really want to be out the laker at the beach today. Anyway, we are here. Here's what's great about you and I filling in this week. And of course you can listen to the Doug Gottlieb showed daily three to five Eastern twelve two Pacific on your iHeartRadio app. You can also download it in podcast form and we have an hour podcast only version of the show. Is that Look, everybody, Dan's a big college football fan. Not everybody who does national sports radio national television follows with great passion college sports. You and I do so, I guess without getting the trappings of you know, of recency bias. What is your biggest takeaway from the weekend?
Speaker 2: Biggest takeaway from the weekend is actually as a whole, in watching week one with a twelve team playoff at stake, because looking at the losses, and I know LSU fans are not happy with what happened last night. Texas A and M fan same thing with what happened with Notre Dame and Clemson may have a whole other issue, but going on there. But still a lost to number one, a lost to number one Georgia is not going to hurt you, And that kept ringing in my years as I'm watching, you know, these scores go by and seeing how it plays out. Is I never felt September mattered Thug in previous seasons. I thought that there was enough time for a team if they were worthy to get into a twelve team playoff, And now I'm just like the first the first week. I mean, I think it's gonna help USC, it's gonna help Notre Dame to have those wins on their schedule that they got, but ultimately any loss did not hurt nearly as much as it would have in previous seasons.
Speaker 6: I agree with you, which is why I think and I understand these games were pre planned and they're all sold whatever, but it's also why we can do away with the neutral site. Last night in Vegas is still cool, right, I just I just feel like why are we having these games off campuses? They build these incredible facilities. The tailgating is what the sport is about. And now, like I think people used to the neutral site thing one because you have a better chance of winning. Now it doesn't actually matter. It doesn't matter like you can't lose a bunch of these games. But as you pointed out, it's a completely different calculation as to do I play this game or do I not play this game? You know, like I again, this is a very different situation, but I'm sure you can get the parallel. Like we make these decisions at at our level when we put together our schedule, right ours is different. You know, we we have to make some money, We make money through guarantee games, and then we want to be competitive. But it's it's do we want to challenge ourselves, but we also run the risk of hurting our confidence to where guys don't know how to win.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really really hard for for those teams.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like right now, if you're I guess if you're Clemson, you start kicking yourself why did we play this game? But as you point out, it doesn't really hurt you. It exposes you. It shows you where your weaknesses are because you're you're dumping into the d but it doesn't hurt you or end your season or come even close to ending your season the way it has for the last fifty years.
Speaker 2: It's funny as well because Alabama would do this where their neutral site games really weren't neutral. They'd play in Atlanta, they'd play in Dallas, and it was close enough for their fans to go. Not that Dallas and Tuscaloos are right next door, but you could make it, make a trip out of it. That's what was so surprising about, you know, hearing the reports of what the crowd was like in Las Vegas last night, was that LSU had a decided fan advantage.
Speaker 7: Maybe not entirely.
Speaker 2: Surprising when you could say, hey, let's go watch our football team in Vegas, but everybody in La gets out of town to go to Vegas on the weekend, except apparently for USC football. So like that, that's that was the most surprising thing about the actual neutral game aspect. You know, Georgia obviously is close to Atlanta. Clemson's a little bit further out, but there are you know, a driveaway from Atlanta.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's not a it's not that.
Speaker 6: And you're you're alumni based spring Clemson is in is in Charlotte and in Atlanta. Sure you know that's where you're and.
Speaker 2: You've seen some back and forth because they aren't home and homes, but sure LSU went Wisconsin, did one once where LSU played played them in Houston. Yeah, and then the return game was at Lambeau about you know, eight years ago or so. So there are unique things, but yeah, I agree with you. I'd much rather see Georgia at Clemson or Clemson at Georgia than them playing in the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: Doug Gottlieb Dan Byron for Dan den at Stan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. Okay, so I got it. I got a little energy behind this today. And it's not just because Paul Finebaum is like he does his thing, his sec thing and then the spreading rumors about other coaches which have no actual sense of reality. And what happened was that show has existed in I think Birmingham and throughout the South for twenty five years or whatever. It only got amplified when he joined ESPN. So now you're like, if you're not familiar with the Paul finebaumb thing. You're like, oh, but what he has been on this anti Lincoln Riley thing throughout the offseason. And what happens is when you say it on television, especially on ESPN, it starts to kind of creep into is this a fact? And I find it to be I chuckle a little bit, but I also it gets you angry because this is what we do now apparently. So here's my thinking with Lincoln Riley. Hey, I think Bob Stoops knows a little something about coaching, right, Like Bob Stoops, it was pretty much one of the There's Urban Meyer and Nick Saban and Bob Stoops, those are the three greatest coaches of the last quarter century. You okay with that one?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fine if if I had a little bit, yeah, I'm fine that I'm talking.
Speaker 6: You wanted what Bowden or you're doing.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, I know times are before Dabbo did have a good run, So I you know, i'd put when you're when you're winning two national championships, Uh, Pete Carroll, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, but those Okay, My my thing on the on the Stoops thing and granted, isn't the Big twelve, wasn't the SEC wasn't the pack, wasn't the big ten. But if you look at the consistency of dominance, it was amazing. Whether he's the best, the third best, the fifth best, whatever, he's among the only coach to this generation agreed he picked one guy to take over his program. One okay, and oh yeah, by the way, when he took it over, they were still predamn good. So he goes to USC and this is what people just don't understand, Like the idea of flipping a program sounds great, but remember you're trying to flip something and use the transfer portal. So is everyone else. This is very different than it ever used to be. And it was so what I thought, so run down from the inside out, not just in terms of the coaching but all the different things within the football program, but mostly like your offensive and defensive lines. And there just wasn't the ability to replenish because everybody, if you, I mean, look, that's the same thing that's happened to Colorado has happened to USC on a different scale, which is, hey, you can go and get better, good skill position players, but getting all those dudes up front. That's really really hard. It's super competitive and the guy you can't guys aren't good when you just bring them over. It's not like a wide receiver. You need linemen to play together and to grow together for a couple of years, and to have backups and have depth. That's the big thing. Anyway. My point is Lincoln Rilly didn't forget how to coach. It's an idiot. He was seen while at Oklahoma as one of the brightest minds in all of football. The Cowboys, the Chargers, the Rams, you name. He was mentioned to being a replacement to any of their coaches d during coaching searches. So you don't go from a guy who knows what he's doing and everybody in football knows you're doing, to all of a sudden he's forgotten what he's doing and you need to fire him. So last night to me wasn't usc is back. They're obviously going to get better, and I love the fact that he now has a lesser name quarterback, but just doing what he wants and you can see his coaching come out, and I think LSU, like, again, this is classic LSU. They've done this the last couple of years under Brian Kelly, and maybe now because the new setup, they can lose these games early and get into the college football playoff at where people think they're the best team by the end of the season. But my point is more just it drives you crazy when you have people who don't pay any attention to what's actually happening on the daily basis, don't know anything about a program. And we'll readily admit that a couple of years ago everyone thought Lincoln Riley was the brightest young coach in the country. So he wins the game and you just sit there and go like, yeah, it just it just sounds you don't get number as a coach two years after having an unbelievable season as a coach.
Speaker 2: I do think that there was a narrative that was fair around Lincoln Riley, though, for the fact that you could never deny their offenses, and you could never deny what they did. You just wondered if he even cared about defense. And you give up fifty four to Georgia in an overtime playoff game. You know, a few years back at the Rose Bowl, you give up forty five to Alabama and the next year in the Orange Bowl. They gave up sixty three in a Peach Bowl to LSU the year after that, so in these marquee games. He only lost ten games at Oklahoma. But when you're giving away that many points on defense, that's what I thought was different from last night.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if USC's back.
Speaker 2: We thought Colorado was back last year after the win against team you know, in the same point. But that's what I thought was different about last night's USC team is that maybe there was some resistance to previous Lincoln Riley squads where it felt like they didn't even care about defense as long as their offense was cooking and they were getting a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback. Maybe they will at the quarterback position this year as well, But for what they did defensively, it seemed like it didn't matter, But it mattered last night.
Speaker 6: Well I would. I'll meet you halfway because I'll say this, You're right. The defense was It felt like people would say this all the time about Mike D'Antoni when he was head coach in the NBA, but like he just didn't care.
Speaker 7: Good comparison, yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, just didn't care. My dad, my late father, coach with the text Winner at Long Beach State, right, text Winner is the architect of the triangle offense. And my dad would tell me that, like when they would do defensive drills, text would leave leave. He really didn't get He would leave, like where's coach going? Like he gone, he done, he done?
Speaker 2: You guys do the defense.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go and draw some stuff on the whiteboard. Anyway, So it's it's fair that that became his reputation. I would tell you in reality, First, I just the Alex Grinch thing was there was one year at Wazoo where they held things together and uh and and coaching with the pirate, and that's where Alex Crnch kind of got his and they were forever tied at the hip and it was one of those he took him with him from Oklahoma. But you know, I don't know if that was it was a great fit.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: The other part to it is it's really really hard to replenish the defense. Okay, And last year during the Pac twelve, and like the one thing about the Pac twel last year, like do you understand how good those quarterbacks were, right, and how good those teams? I like the PAC twelve last year was legit. I know the league came apart at the seams, okay, but the PAC twelve was like did you see cam Woord?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Like Camboard was he was in the he was he been mentioned by most national people because he was like the fourth or fifth best quarterback in the PAC twelve last year, right, because all those other dudes were like Heisman Trophy guys. Anyway, part of it was the PAC twelve was amazing last year. Part of it was I don't think Grinch is particularly good. Not only think most people, I think most people think that. And then part of it is like, look what you learn here? Is there there is, in fact a salary cap. Not everybody has the same salary cap, but there is. The spigot does run dry at some point in time. And if you just, if you're just honest with yourself about what they did. It's not just the attention you pay dan to your defense. It's the resources, the money you pay to your defense. That's really it. It's the money that you're gonna spend. You know, if you have ten million dollars to spend and you spend three or four on a quarterback, it's no different than the NFL, and that, okay, someplace is going to come up.
Speaker 7: Short.
Speaker 6: There's all different sorts of ways in which it's built, right. There are some teams that try and pay everybody a set amount, and then there's a couple of guys that private people can come in and pay. There's all different shorts of ways to do it. But by my estimation, what happened at SC, and it happened at Colorado, it happened to some many schools is they spend so much money on a couple of guys that they end up having way too many holes in the team, whereas you look at teams that don't do it that way. I think that's what's happened at Notre Dame. I think that's what's happened. I believe that's what's happened at Oklahoma State, is that they at different levels, have they spend their money on getting as many good players to keep them in the program as possible and grow from within.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's be honest too, when you're talking about college football and you're talking about getting that player, you can change an entire team with one player on offense. You are not going to do that on defense. You cannot change a team just because of one player on defense. With the offense, yeah, you can. You could do it at the quarterback position. You can kind of do it at the running back position. You can maybe do it at the wide receiver position. But you cannot do that on defense.
Speaker 6: You're I mean Travis Hunter, right, Travis Hunter makes your point completely. Travis Hunter might be the best defensive player in college football and they have a terrible defense at Colorado despite the fact they're one to Oh He's Dan Byrom Doug Gottlieb. This hour is brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert and retailer of The Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyreck dot com slash Dan try the tire Decision Guy to see a full line of general tires, special offers, Free Road has Protection, mobile tire installation, tyreck dot Comboy tire buying should be all right. Coming up next to The Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio, a new version of the Big Ten has gotten up to quite a start. Big ten versus SEC Let's discuss next.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Dan Patrick Show at Fox Sports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock ap.
Speaker 7: He's Mike Krmen, I'm Dan Bayern.
Speaker 2: We have a fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flexed.
Speaker 7: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 4: Every week we're gonna scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 2: Listen to I Want Your flex with Mike Carmon and meet Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Dan Patrick Show rolls on. You're on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Dan Byrom, Doug Gottlieb. So we don't know if USC's back, but it was definitely much better. Got a part for the course with Lsu. I would say part for the course with Texas A and m right like they just find a way. That place appears to be so intimidating, Dan, and yet I you know, look, I I be honestly, I didn't pay a ton of attention to TEXA and M football until they joined the Big Twelve. But if you look at their track record in the Big Twelve, it's similar to what they've been the SEC, which is they actually lose a lot of big home games. Even when Johnny Manzel was there, they like lose big people for people forget that they lost at home. I think twice that year he won the Heisman Trophy. It's just it's weird that that that should be. If you ever been to Kyle Field, it's an incredible place for that cult. I mean, that fan base to UH to go to. But they always lose at home in a big game. That's just what they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the the Johnny football win in Tuscaloosa. It was the one that that made you know the start of the story if you will. But yeah, that was a road game. I've never been and I've heard I've heard great things, Doug. I have heard great things about going to a game in College Station.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's it's it's legit, lily cool. But it's just one of those places you're like, this is a different place. It it I don't think techs A and M is cool. I'm although they're trying to make it cool, which was that was the big thing when Kevin smlan was there, Like, trying to make text A and M cool is a really hard thing to do, and he accomplished it for a while and then obviously the bottom fell out. Yeah, it's it's something, it's it's something, but it's there. It's incredible fans, incredible support, Like those people would do anything to win a National champs like anything, and they just can't figure it out. It's just it's like painful to watch. And then we had look, we had our first look at at at Oklahoma and the guy who he's like a one man tout service for all things Oklahoma. I kid because I love that's r J. Young, college football analysts for Fox Sports, host of the Number One Show podcast on Fox Sports covering all things college football. Okay, so Lincoln Riley leaves, you're an Oklahoma guy. You've been having a lot of fun at Lincoln Riley's lack of success at SC What do you think after watching last night?
Speaker 3: I think he gave me a reason to watch at see the rest of the year. In a different light. They won game that I didn't think they were going to win. Fullth off, you're trailing in the fourth quarter. We've seen the Riley clock management, which is not unlike managing a broken clock at times, and he did it in the first half. We saw the misfield goal from the kicker, so I'm not really sure that that's where he wants to do it. And they hadn't been able to run the ball well at all night and what Mark's called games also saw. I think he's just not hiding his run fit and for whatever reason, decided to go cover a tight end of what's going out to a pattern and that's how they end up winning the game. But they also got a really cool schedule the rest of the way. A couple weeks from now they get Michigan and then of course they get Notre Dame at the end of the season, which could be to undefeated teams no, especially knowing what we know about Notre going what's left to the cupcakes schedule. If USC is legit, I'm fine with this, I am Doug. But we know that mikeoln rather think you win a big game in the regular season, that's not the question. The question is can you win a conference championship in the Big Ten? And can you win a single college football playoff game?
Speaker 7: Because he still has not a jay, how do you explain the other sideline.
Speaker 2: I know it's not all on Brian Kelly, but this is the fifth straight opener that LSU was lost. We know about Brian Kelly's post game. I don't know if it's the high rade but a bit of a rant yesterday. But what is the reason why LSU cannot grab a Week one victory in college football?
Speaker 3: I think it's all over the map. It's the only common denominator has been Brian Kelly, right. Both of the coordinators from last year that lost to Florida State, they're gone. The guys you bought in are good like I like Joe Sloan and I don't really like me and Blake Baker. I will let you go with the defense beeing young like they're starting a true freshman at corner in PJ. Woodland, who really is going to be a star when he grows up. But he's got to go up with Weeks has got a lot there. That was big number forty for the folks that watched on television. I really think they got a great motor there, and they haven't been in that position before where they've had to finish. But when Brian Kelly is yelling and ranking about why do I can stand the same things over and over again? That's called coaching. And if you sign yourself repeating yourself, it's either because it hasn't gotten through where you haven't properly communicated. That's I think it's just him. I sincerely believe that it's not incoming upon the kids to.
Speaker 5: Get to know you.
Speaker 3: It is incumbent upon you to get to know the kids. So if you're yelling at them and they're not getting it, you need to stop yelling. It's yelling at them gets them in a position to win. Keep yelling. I really am going to put this back on Brian Kelly shakes well.
Speaker 6: We also don't know how it's been communicated if he's yelling there, because he taught it time and again in the offseason.
Speaker 7: To be fair.
Speaker 8: R J.
Speaker 6: Young joining us here the Number One podcast along with Dan Byram Doug Gotley. This is Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. I know when we get to the NFL Draft in Green Bay and April, there's gonna be an overwhelming number of SEC players taken. But I also know that I just watched Florida lose at home. I watched an m lose at home. I watched LSU losing a neutral site. Granted in the Western United States, but it was at least sixty forty in terms of their fan base. And so we're in a and look, Georgia looked awesome and Bama looked awesome. So it's not the whole SEC, right, It's not the whole SEC. But the point is that r J, how do we calculate who's actually a really good team and really good conference and sort of disassociate from the NFL draft because I do think that we fall back on the well, the look at the SEC and all the guys are drafted, Yeah, but they lost games at home. In terms of the grand calculation, this is where it gets.
Speaker 3: Fun for me. I think the NFL draft makes it much simpler and easier to quantitatively qualify each one of these teams. Did you have more draft picks or not? Usually the thing that went to the National Championships, they're going to have more draft picks than everybody else. That's just what happens here. But as we're going through the season, one of the things I take a look at is how good do we think you are? And then did you meet that expectation. So a great example of from this weekend is Georgia dating content thirty four to three in Ohio State beating Acting fifty two to six, one ways more than the other one. Clinton is a very good football team who ran into a juggernaut that is Georgia, who decided to show us all why they have won two national championships the last three years and why they have gone forty three and forty five over the last three years and have won forty consective regular season games. And by the way, the losses are to Alabama because that's when Nick Stayden were coaching Alabama and me ain't coaching Alabama. Teammore three, Ohio State, who we all think is really really good and probably ends up playing Georgia in the National championship game, got off to a very close start against the Akrons Dips at home, not a neutral site, and the Acrons that have more in common with an SBS opponent than they do the Buck guys. And to add to that, the Acrons Dip went up three to zero on the buck guys to start the game. That's not supposed to happen either. So as was taking a look at who did what, I'm looking at Notre Dame, bit Texas, A and M on the road by ten Oregon, the Idaho at home by ten. And we're talking about Idaho VERSUS.
Speaker 5: A and M.
Speaker 3: And you know, like I know, those are league apart. And as far as opponents. You keep doing that all the way down the schedule. You keep doing that all the way down the top twenty five, and you begin to understand what makes some of these teams good apart from whom getting drafted.
Speaker 2: Complete side note, The Number one college Football show just blew past one hundred thousand and subscribers recently on YouTube and fast fast paced to two hundred thousand subscribers. Just wanted to let you know that, Doug the Show is on fire Colorado. Anything different RJ from what we had from a year ago after their win on Thursday night against North Dakota State, Or can we expect the same thing from the Buffaloes that we maybe.
Speaker 7: Saw last year.
Speaker 3: I gotta go with the second half of that, Dan, like my first thought with them, I hope though, right you know, like I really do. I love watching that football team play to do what standards is a superstar. We know that four five against North Akota State. There are only two quarterbacks in the last twenty years who have gone for four hundred yards and four TVs and back to back season openers. One of them is to Dorth Standards and the other one is Patrick Mahomes at Texas Sex. Do with that which you're gonna right, Travis Hunter. We know about Jimmy Horr Jr. Is an emerging star. But everywhere else I got questioned, they can't run the football, can't stop the run. Nebraska has shown that they can run the football two hundred yards on the ground from their running back against UTEP, and they got a guy that not only can send it in Dylan Rayola, but he's doing the one thing I have to brought the quarterbacks to do this year after what we saw last year. He can't turned the ball over again. And if they can continue to hold the ball, they're going to be able to lean on you and perhaps run that three three sets against Shdort Standards and make them force it down on the field and you can come away with a win. I think they traded out the guys that were similar to the one they had last year for this year when we're talking about Colorado, and I haven't seen a Geil yet. I haven't seen them come together and be greater than some of their parts. But again, you beat never ask good. You go to and oh, and we're back to what we were doing last year. It's deeper into the season when we should be having this conversation honestly about Colorado to get a defendative understanding of whether or not something has changed. But right now it looks a lot like it did last year.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, yeah, and I think I think they could even be a little bit better. But winning at Nebraska, winning at Colorado State, that'll be hard. Even if the Big twelve isn't ash isn't as as difficult of a of a league. Okay, So what about Notre Dame? Like, at some point we got to sit there and go, hey, we've always been critical of Notre Dame's lack of speed, speed outside the numbers defensively outstanding, and speed at the running back position outstanding, good quarterback. How legitimate do you believe Notre Dame is.
Speaker 3: I think that they're in a position to play for national championship because the schedule sets up for them. Not only if you did support of State last year and they're going to get the benefit of the doubt if Riley Leonards stayed healthy. I also think that that that back end they got, they got a secondary like go like in Xavier Watson, Benjamin Morrison. They got one of the best safety corner team them's been all of football. Watch that seven interceptions last year. He already has one against A and M to open the season. You're also looking at the schedule and I got I tell you guys, between now and November nights, they don't really play anybody, not anybody that we care about. They get Florida State, who will see right how good they are by that time, and then they get SDE to end this thing. But it's also set up in a way that they're doing something that no other Power four team gets to do. All the other Power four teams got to play nine Power four opponents, Notre Dame to play eight. And not just that, Notre Dame does have played in a conference championship. So they're going to suck up one of those at large digs and get a playoff game at South. Since I don't like it, I think you should have to qualify for the college football Playoff. I haven't even played in a conference championship. But we treat Notre Dames like Formula one treats Ferrari. We just kind of like have them around and we let them do what they would like to because we really like seting the about a football field. But I think on the football field they're good. They just don't have an opportunity to really show it past this game. And I just really want to even be tested like Miami's got on the schedule. I would love to Notre Dame playing Miami this year. I would love to see just what cam Ward would be able to do against that secondary and get a good read on who they are. But as it stands right now, I got a hard time leading them out of the twelve sleet playoff pictures only because they look good enough against A and M and down the line, they don't have enough undefeated going on where they could probably lose a game and still make the College football Playoff.
Speaker 2: Did you do you like Fansville those Doctor Pepper commercials? R?
Speaker 1: Jay?
Speaker 7: Are you a fan of those?
Speaker 3: I am I enjoyed when you were getting to say, you know what I mean, you know, I was man, it's Terry will Winton.
Speaker 7: That's the thing, the joke magnificent.
Speaker 2: I love them as well, and I haven't loved any of them more than I love the quin yours one this past weekend, which leads me to the Texas question. No doubt in the outcome against Colorado State, but there does seem to be a lot of cohesion in the quarterback hierarchy where arch Manning comes in, throw a touchdown pass and it's high fives all around, but there's no question on who is the starter.
Speaker 7: How is that the feeling that you get out of Austin with the long.
Speaker 3: Orange, It absolutely is, and it's I think Steve Sarkisian does not get enough credit for how he has handled having arch Manny on the depth chart and was showing us march many and showing us he can fit it. And then you talk about Quinn you were who's also handled this with such grace and respect and a plum like he's doing all the right things that I want a quarterback to do if they're playing at the University of Texas, And dear, I say, gonna get drafted in the first round by some franchise that needs them next year. He's showing a lot of maturi and at a place that it has been easy for him to go. Why aren't you still talking to me about arts Manning? That's the famous photo Last year they brought arch Manning to media days and when he was there all the quarters with his table, crowder Rat asked some questions, Quinn, you are just starting quarterback sitting damn good one overall in twenty twenty two, and the starting quarterback of chests is sitting there by himself, kind of looking over there with a ton of big mus book on his face, going okay, that's out good and not even that's how it was going to be, but just that's that's what it is to be at Texas. I also think that that that locker room wants to be behind Quinn, You or Shud. They've seen him do it and they know what they have in him. It's nice to have in our Conny, but you know why when you are just the number one, and I really like their chances going into an Arbic to go get a w.
Speaker 6: H That is the one and only r J. Young check out the number one show podcast on Fox Sports. Check it out on YouTube as well. R J Man enjoy the weekend. Thanks so much for.
Speaker 3: Joining us, Doug Dan, thank you guys so much. Have a great Labor day.
Speaker 6: Rapid Radios instant Push to Talk walkie talkies out for national Tea coverage and no subscription a monthly fees. A great alternative to the mobile phone for your kids. We'll use them right here on the show. Good Rapid Radios dot com for up to sixty percent off plus free shipping. He's Dan Byrom Doug Gottliebin for Dan and the Dan. That's Hey, come up next. It's the case of the Mondays. We'll explain next.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 6: Doug Gottlieb, Dan Byron for Dan, The Dan Netes Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. So what do we call this anticipation Monday? Is that right?
Speaker 5: Dan Byer.
Speaker 2: That's what Jason Stewart is calling it am anticipation Monday.
Speaker 7: Why is that?
Speaker 6: Why is that because we have the NFL this weekend or this week?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'll tell you this the background that I feel as important here as what you're going to hear a lot this week is greatest time of the year right now.
Speaker 7: Fall's gonna turn.
Speaker 6: Football spred December already, yes it is.
Speaker 2: It's John Ramos's birthday, by the way, Happy birthday, John. It's greatest time of the year. But then when March madness comes around, guess what, doug, greatest time of the year, greatest time of the year. And I feel that there are parallels with the NFL season starting on Thursday, and we've got college football in the rearview mirror like we are now on the verge. Is the anticipation the same equal to maybe less than a little bit more than what we would have on an NC doublea tournament week with the brackets out, But then you have to wait really till Thursday for the first round games to take place to actually have some ink on your bracket. And I feel that there are parallels to that because people are betting, people have their fantasy teams, they're excited, But what is more full of anticipation, the approachment of the approaching of the NFL season or the NCAA tournament week.
Speaker 7: That's where I think anticipation Monday comes from.
Speaker 6: I think I think the hype around, the hype around the NCAA tournament is greater than the actual the actual substance to it, if that makes any sense. Whereas like the NFL, Let's just be honest, everybody's paying attention on some level to the NFL. Whereas everybody says I mean think, I think everyone has a bracket, and everybody has a bracket. You come out, you you pretend like you know what you're talking about, but you don't really know. You're not super as invested, Whereas I feel like there's actual, more tangible investment in the NFL because you have your team, plus you have your fantasy team or two.
Speaker 7: I can understand that thinking.
Speaker 2: But the only reason why I think college basketball in that week is better is because of what Thursday and Friday provide us. Where Thursday, with the NFL, it's awesome to see Patrick Mahomes playing to the third quarter and Lamar Jackson play a whole game and out of your starters pulled after a quarter or a half. That's all great and all, and your stats counting in your fantasy league, but it is just the one game on Thursday, and when you have that full day of Thursday where everyone is still alive with their bracket, there's nothing better. I absolutely and I think that I would side with spring being the greatest time of the year, with the NCAA Tournament, with opening Day.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm a Masters fan. I just think that.
Speaker 2: Football is so big that it's the variety of the spring that makes it the greatest sporting time of the year.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah. And I think also the spring New Hope. You know you've been in some places it starts to get warm. I think all of that. I look, I think the fall is better, but I think that's because maybe I'm I still love fall baseball.
Speaker 8: I just do.
Speaker 6: And I also think there's a newness to cull football. Even though like again stopping You've heard this before, LSU stupid stuff, dumb penalties right costs themselves the game, like could be any year with LSU with how they lost last night, Right, But watching LSU and USC great uniform matchup, watching Notre Dame and A and M it is the same, right, the traditional powers with a couple of exceptions, but the newness of the playoff, the newness of the leagues. Then you factor in the NFL stuff, which again it's going to be new this year that they're playing on a Friday night here right in Brazil, this Friday night, and you factor in baseball as well. I know that wasn't kind of part of the calculation. You're when you throw in Masters, I'll throw in baseball. I personally, I think this is the greatest time of year because I also like fall. I think the problem of fall is inevitably it's followed by winter, whereas spring is followed by summer, and that gives you more home.
Speaker 2: So this Monday, here are you looking ahead and forward more to chiefs Ravens on Thursday from Kansas City as opposed to say, a Monday of an NCAA tournament week.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's actually a great question. I think you might have won the argument in that one. I'm more excited about individual games in the NFL. I'm more in college basketball. I'm just excited that it's it's going to be some form of controlled chaos. So does that I You're right, I'm more I'd be more fired up about the NCAA tournament, but not about any one game, not about any one game or any one matchup or any one thing, because the thing with college basketball is like you just don't know, you don't who could have seen Oakland coming?
Speaker 2: And Jack Golkey, sure there is something about having your Final four team being down six in the first TV timeout, down eight to two and they had to happen to play in the first game that was your Cinderella because it was maybe a three to fourteen game, Like, wow, Yale is winning the Kale's up right now? I have you know Texas and Crocket war Oh Bustead, Jason Stewart.
Speaker 8: I think it speaks to the brilliance of the NFL that I am much more excited about the NFL starting on this Monday than I have ever been about college basketball. It's probably the juxtaposition of the NFL is as relevant and cool and edgy as ever, and college basketball has just kind of gone by the wayside. I know I'm talking to a college basketball coach on the air right now, but I'm just saying that the relevance in our space has decreased so considerably, and the NFL has only gotten more popular that we could talk about it twelve months out of the year and still be fired up on a Monday for the season.
Speaker 6: Look, I'll agree with you in general about college basketball. I think if you're honest about it, you're like, look, I mean we talked about Kaylen Clark all summer, right, she's a women's basketball player. Whereas you know, I think this year may change. We're talking about one one player at Duke a Ton. But you're right, like college bass Willsides's robot. I think there's a couple of things. Obviously, the depletion of the sport to the NBA, the proliferation of it on TV, and then of course the NFL is the easiest to gamble on, right, Like, just let's call it what it is. We just creative ways to gamble on it. Where you call fantasy football or straight up traditional game.
Speaker 7: Well, it's also.
Speaker 2: It's the sport that you bet on that you think you know the most, but you realize you don't know anything on right thalas football, you're college basketball, you're just making picks. But I do think Jason's looking at it from a person who is in sports media. Yeah, and I think, looking at it as a fan, there's nothing better in these halls at Fox Sports Radio than when an upset happens on Thursday in the NCAA tournament. And I think that anticipation of how your bracket turns out starts on the Monday of it. People will watch Ravens Chiefs, but people are fans of other teams that maybe don't play until Friday, Sunday or Monday. But it's the everybody is kind of in the same boat on Monday of NCAA tournament week talking about their final four teams into their bracket. You know, while their bracket shapes out. It's just it's different. It's it's actually better for me.
Speaker 6: He's Dan Byra. I'm Doug Gottlieb's Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. All right, so our one, our one, We're done. Mercedes Ben's Dream Days are here with exceptional offers on the cl E Coop, the E Classidan, the C Classidan, and the c l A c LA Caberlet going now through September third. Learn more at mbusa dot com. Slash dream Our audiobook review next