Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 3: And today on Weird House, we're going to be talking about the nineteen seventy two made for TV horror film Gargoyles, starring Cornell Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Grayson Hall, and Bernie Casey. This selection has been waiting in the wings for some time, hasn't it. It comes up frequently on our Connection segment in multiple previous episodes, and also has been recommended by multiple listeners. It was one of the It just seemed we were faded to cover it at some point.
Speaker 2: That's right. Let's see Lee Steven, Bob Tato or Bob Tato, I'm not sure which his pronunciation. Are just a few of the listeners who suggested this film in particular and said it would be a great fit. Yeah, It's come up multiple times on the show before in our Connections, and it's also one that I finally remember watching at least parts of on television in the nineteen nineties, I think on the Sci Fi channel and TV again is the place to watch it. This was a film made for television, and it has just this great TV wasteland vibe to it. The sort of weird dated movie that like during the nineteen nineties you discover on cable when you were inside on a weekend afternoon instead of going outside and playing in the sun, or that you discover late at night instead of getting a good night's sleep, that sort of picture.
Speaker 3: The spirit of television flows through it, even to the extent that there's one character. We'll have to talk about this in the plot section. There's one character who seems to have gotten completely different notes on how to play his character over the course of a commercial break.
Speaker 2: Can change during a commercial break, you know, it takes you out of the action. I believe we're going to talk more about this later. It takes you out of the action, perhaps takes you out of the room as you go to get your dinner, return your plate, get a snack, use the restroom, put the kids to bed, what have you, and then you're back in and yeah, it might be a different movie by that point. Like sometimes it is implied stuff has happened during the break.
Speaker 3: I guess that's true. The character I have in mind is implied to have gotten drunk as over the course of the commercial break, but he goes from being kind of I don't know, sly in cagey to just being a complete mass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happens pretty quickly. So yes. Indeed, this film was originally broadcast on Tuesday, November twenty first, nineteen seventy two, for CBS's the New CBS Tuesday Night Movies. The made for TV werewolf movie Death Moon that we previously covered on Weird House was also a CBS affair, though it aired on a Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Was it one of the new CBS Wednesday Night Movies?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't recall. Death Moon came out and said so, I guess I knew it had become old or standard by that point. I'm not sure. I get a little foggy on how like the Tuesday Night movie would have differed from the Wednesday Night movie. I just remember the Death Moon aired, I think following an episode of The Incredible Hulk. But this is a movie that certainly connected with plenty of folks. It's a nice mix of early seventies television, monster suits cinematic weirdness. In nineteen eighty one's Dance maccob Stephen King singled it out as one of the high points of the various one shot TV movies and specials of the day, praising it as memorable and hideous. Likewise, Michael Weldon in the Psychotronic film Guides highlights it as unusual.
Speaker 3: I'm a little perplexed at the amount of praise I see people heap on this movie. But I will give it that it is not boring, like it kind of skips right along and is highly entertaining as to its real horror credentials. I don't know if I can quite go there.
Speaker 2: I feel like it is remarkably weird to have been on television. You know. It's like other examples will point to from this time period. When you're looking at made for TV horror, a lot of them are a little more you know, traditional in the sense that maybe it's like Gothic horror, and you know, not that this is completely non traditional. It is based, you know, basic format of a monster movie, and it's set with a you know, an American background. But yeah, I mean these scenes where you have like reptilian gargoyle creatures like rebinon big furry eggs and in an egg cave, it's it's weird stuff.
Speaker 3: Weirder even for its time than you might think because we live downstream of gargoyles. An interesting claim I came across. I can't verify this, but a claim of priority that I found referenced in the Ashgate Encyclopedia of Literary and Cinematic Monsters, edited by somebody named somebody named Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: This book claims quote Gargoyles, the movie we're talking about today. Gargoyles is the first work to present gargoyles as a species as opposed to solitary creatures.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Interesting, yeah, yeah, because that is how they're they're positioned here. They are not statues, come alive. They are an ancient species of creatures, perhaps with some sort of origins going back to Satan in the Fall, the Rebel Angels.
Speaker 3: Well, it just seems kind of like a creative appropriation of the word gargoyle, because otherwise they are treated as just demons. They're just demons or devils, but they're also sort of greedo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're they're reptile men. They but they are gargoyles. They're also devils. But the title of the movie is Gargoyles, and they make sure to call them gargoyles at various points in the film.
Speaker 3: I should mention that that same Encyclopedia entry also flags a short story by Harlan Ellison called Bleeding Stones, apparently also published in nineteen seventy two, in which there are gargoyles on Saint Patrick's Cathedral that are animated by pollution, like industrial waste gets into them and it turns them into monsters that attack New York City.
Speaker 2: I should go ahead and mention, now that we're talking about this, if any of this sounds familiar. Back in October of twenty twenty four, we did the Stuff to Blow Your Mind episode titled Grimoure of Horror, Volume one. We talked about a couple of short horror stories, one of them being a nineteen thirty two Clark Ashton Smith story about gargoyles in which a tormented sculptors gargoyles come to life and commit crimes in this Gothic city, and that is often pointed to as one of if not like the first stories about animate gargoyle, But then again, that would be different than what we have here today. These are gargoyles that were never part of the particular of a particular architectural uh creation. They instead are said to have inspired architectural flourishes. And what are those flourishes. Well, just a reminder we're talking when we talk about gargoyles, we're generally talking about a decorative water spout to drain water away from a building. Then the term is used a little loose more loosely to describe, you know, hideous monsters perching on the corners of buildings. That you get you get into different terminology when you get into the specifics of all these things. But this is linked to the old French word gargoue as well as the Greek gargarazine. And these words, of course may remind you of the word gargyle that we use today, because you know, essentially we're talking about a word used to describe the clearing or washing of the throat.
Speaker 3: Right, So, from decorative water spouts the side of a building to Reptilian Satanic gredo monsters that live in caves in only a few hundred years, that's an evolution.
Speaker 2: Yes, from European cathedrals to the children of Lucifer living in caves. In the Great American Desert.
Speaker 3: Now, we mentioned earlier that a lot of people have had praise for this movie, a lot of good things to say about it, and one thing that often gets singled out for praise is the creature design itself, the monster design. They've got these great rubber masks and suits. And apparently this movie won a nineteen seventy three Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Makeup.
Speaker 2: That's right. It beat out a TV movie of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde starring Kirk Douglas and Donald Pleasants, as well as a TV movie of Frankenstein starring Robert Foxworth, who would go on to appear in Death Moon, as well as the actor Bose S. Vincent, who I believe Vincent played the monster, Foxworth played the doctor.
Speaker 3: Foxworth was the work beast and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean who I mean, Doctor Frankenstein. Can you think of more a bigger work beast than that?
Speaker 3: That's right, He's the original work beast. I wonder how my feelings about Gargoyles might be different if if we'd seen it with the hard burned Dutch subtitles. I think that would bring a different spirit to the to the occasion, wouldn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably so. But the costumes here do look amazing, and as we'll get into in just a little bit, it's the work of Stan Winston, like fresh baby face stan Winston. This is his first big, big gig as a makeup dude before he went on to a lot of other legendary work and legendary monster design makeup effects from the subtle to the extravagant. Now, are these suits always presented in the best light? Is the rest of the film like reaching its level? Well, you know, an argument could be made that it is not. You know, you put a suit like this in a gas station in the middle of New Mexico, it might not look as great. But I think on their own they look amazing and compared to anything else it was on TV at the time, I have no doubt that these really stood out and obviously touched a nerve.
Speaker 3: I believe these suits and makeup effects could have popped even more if they'd been photographed a little more carefully. I don't want to insult the cinematography too much, but we get a lot of just straight up looking at them, even in slow motion, sometimes in broad daylight, sometimes busting through a breakaway door into a hotel room not the most creative or artful way of obscuring and keeping the mystery of the gargoyle form alive.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, they're often shot, and yeah, feels like like noon sun they're out being stealthy. Just the in broad daylight. People were like, what was that that flew over? And it's like, you're in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. I think you probably could have seen it, but I don't know. There are plenty of plenty of animals in New Mexico that managed to carry out their stealth roles successfully, so I guess an argument could be made that these these creatures do as well.
Speaker 3: It's hard to stay stealthy when you're doing trampoline stunts in slow motion.
Speaker 2: True. True.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to pause here for a moment to think about the specific flavor of today's movie, because despite the different setting and subject matter, I noticed what felt like a significant esthetic overlap with the other seventies American made for TV horror movie we've covered again. That was Death Moon with the work Beast, and this got me interested in thinking about these movies as their own subgenre. The made for TV movie of the seventies as its own horror subgenre. So I went digging around for any academic literature that has explored this idea, and I came across a passage in a book. So the book was by Lorna Jowett and Stacy Abbott called TV Horror Investigating the Dark Side of the Small Screen. This was originally published in twenty thirteen. I haven't read this whole book, but I did read some reviews, and in this passage about made for TV films of the era in question, it seems to me the central idea of this book is that wild TV has long been thought of as a poor venue for horror storytelling due to many things. You know, restrictions on content that tend to be more restrictive than what you would get in the movie theaters, and horror tends to be by nature transgressive and contains objectionable material. But also you can think about constraints due to format format restrictions like the need to include commercial breaks. Despite all those well known limitations, the authors argue that the medium of TV also kind of presents its own unique opportunities for horror, and that horror has long been incorporated it into TV storytelling, even if in cryptic forms, kind of expressing itself in little ways in you know, in crime dramas on TV and things like that. And in the words of the authors the quote relationship between horror and television is one fraught with tension and potential. And so when you try to think, like, what would be the special potential for horror on TV as opposed to other media like the cinema or in written literature. One example that comes to mind for me, which they do explore in the book, is the idea that back before home video, when movies were something that you went to see in the theater and you couldn't watch at home unless it just happened to be playing on one of the few TV stations you got, TV provided provided an opportunity to project visual horror into the domestic setting, and the domestic setting changed how frightening stories were received, and to that last point. At one point in this book, the author's cite the concluding voiceover from Colchak The night Stalker, which is not a movie but a sort of mystery horror TV series. We've talked about this in our anthology of Horror episodes in the Halloween season sometimes but apparently you know, at the end of this Colchak would always say something like quote, So think about it and try to tell yourself, wherever you may be and the quiet of your home, in the safety of your bed, try to tell yourself that it couldn't happen to you. You know, the implication being, Oh, you think you're safe just because you're at home on your couch eating a hungry man dinner right now, but no paramoul fay, this moss monster could come get you.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, you know, Like you could basically have a no horror in the house rule where you only go out to the theaters and see horror, but then TV changes that in the same way that like right now, I think most of us probably, well not most of us. I can't speak for everyone out there. I know we have some horror ficionados out there there, but a lot of us probably have an unofficial rule of no haunted attractions in the house. Where we go out to a haunted attraction. We go out to a professional haunted house, but we don't bring professional gruls and goblins into our home to jump scarce randomly, you know, and if we were to do that, that would drastically change the way we might think about our house.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Now, of course this would change with the advent of home video, you know, that sort of reshuffles everything, But you can still think of ways in which TV is a different video. I've said this on the show before, but I'm often very partial to medium is the message type thinking kind of mccluinist view that we really underappreciate how much we're influenced not just by the content that we consume, but by the format that that content takes. So, you know, whatever technology or media we use to consume it that shapes us almost as much as the content itself, and shape shapes over time the form the content takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this has certainly come up before when we've talked about movies where certain changes were made because they wanted to make sure that like the first ten minutes killed, you know, so people wouldn't leave the theater, or I seem to recall an example where they were like, well, let's offset the big moment a little bit so that people who are late to their seats don't miss out on the excitement. Things like that, you know, and I guess with TV horre you're also probably having a factor in well, some people are coming in maybe thirty minutes into it. You know, there's no definite start time. It's not like they bought a ticket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll come back to that in just a minute, but I did want to say so. The authors here have a sub section discussing horror within the history of the made for TV movie, also known as the single play, a single play as opposed to like a series or a mini series, and so they write about how the made for TV movie was especially popular in the nineteen sixties and seventies, with major productions in being networks in the United States like ABC and then in this case CBS, and then of course in Britain as well with things like ITV. ITV actually had armchair theater going back to the nineteen fifties, so we established even earlier there. But then the authors cite a scholar named Waller who cataloged more than one hundred made for TV horror films that premiered on primetime in the United States between nineteen sixty eight and nineteen eighty seven, and that was kind of surprising to me that there were that many because I don't think of horror as the most popular genre of made for TV movies. I mean, I tend to think of made for TV movies as like, you know, your kind of comedies and your family dramas and things like that. They were made for TV. Horror felt like a more rare, rare exploration. But in discussing these movies, Jowett and Abbott right.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: These films include at daptations of Gothic novels such as Count Dracula nineteen seventy seven, Frankenstein nineteen seventy three. Oh, I wonder if that's the one we were just talking about. I believe, Yeah, the Turn of the Screw nineteen seventy four, or original contemporary horror such as Fear No Evil nineteen sixty nine, Duel nineteen seventy one. I believe that's an early Steven Spielberg movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe Matheson either a script by Matheson or it's based on a work by Matheson. I don't recall at the top of my head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then their final example is Gargoyles from nineteen seventy two, but the passage continues. Quote John Kenneth Muir argues that in this period, television became increasingly graphic, and that the turn toward darkness in TV horror represented, as with cinematic horror, a shift in national mood, due at least in part to the shocking and graphic news footage coming back from the Vietnam War. It was as if for the first time Americans were aware of a darker world, and television reflected that shift in perspective.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's fascinating. Now.
Speaker 3: Another thing they mentioned here is about the production mode of made for TV horror films, which was in some ways similar to that of a cinematic film, but usually with a lower budget and a shorter production schedule. One major format difference that we've already alluded to here is the necessity of incorporating commercial breaks. Now, you might be thinking, like, a, do you really need to plan out commercial breaks? From a writing perspective, maybe you just write the story like you would otherwise and let the breaks fall wherever.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's how we do the podcast.
Speaker 3: That sort of is how we do the podcast now. But like the podcast is a conversational informational exploration, it's really hard to do that if you are writing a fiction, a fictional narrative where you're you're trying to control tension and you're trying to build to climaxes and all that. I mean, if you just if you literally just randomly place commercial breaks within a story. In fact, we've seen what this is like when that happens on, like, you know, something like you're watching a maybe illicit stream of of a movie or something, and the ads just pop in wherever. It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I was thinking about this recently as well, not only in watching Gargoyles, which has these moments, but also as a family we've been watching and for my wife and I rewatching the sci fi series Firefly, Oh, which you know I love back in the day. I'm getting reacquainted with now. The footage is not the most restored that I've seen, so it feels a little rough around the edges and places, but still very fresh in many other ways. But it has those those obvious, baked in commercial breaks where things lead up, you know, you get to kind of like a little crescendo and then there's just a little bit darkarkness and then you come back and you know, for someone like our kids, seemed less and less of that, So they're like, what's what's going on here? Why don't we keep having these moments? So they go, yeah, those are commercial breaks. Those were those were necessary, mandated and you know, clearly constructed around Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the authors of this book talk about how it's been recognized for a while that, or at least argued by other scholars previously, that the need for commercial breaks is especially devastating to horror as a as a genre for storytelling because it interrupts the narrative flow and the building of tension that is supposed to take place in a horror story. But also they cite again the scholar named Waller who says that it's really a problem that the advertisements coming in in the middle of the story quote themselves serve as reassurance that all is well in the world and I can see what's going on there. But then coming back on the other side, the authors talk about how writers try to get around this by of course structuring the story with these kind of mini climaxes, placing breaks after each one. That's like what you were just talking about, you know, the where even when the commercials are no longer present, you're just watching it as one continuous thing. You can feel where the commercial breaks are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I have to admit at times watching Gargoles, I really kind of wanted to see those commercials. What would they have been, you know.
Speaker 3: I want to see commercials for Towbor, the International Ladies Garment Workers Union, all the good ones. But anyway, this got me thinking about how there are multiple ways to write around the idea of commercial breaks. The authors here are talking about trying to structure it with many climaxes before a commercial break, so the break doesn't unnecessarily cut into the tension you're building. But I was thinking about how it's actually often the case that people will try to have a commercial break occurring right at a moment of suspense, you know, like the door is opening, and then you cut to commercial to I guess the ideas that will leave you hanging and make you avoid changing the channel during the commercial because you want to see what happens next. I think that can lead made for TV horror to feel kind of hokey that often does not play very well. But at the same time, in rare cases, I think the juxtaposition between story and commercial breaks can itself be uncanny, like made for TV horror with commercial breaks works especially well. I think in stories where everything seems to be right with the world, but there are hidden threats lurking behind a facade of everyday life. It's kind of making you question the sort of interactions and media that you go through every single day. You know, that can kind of play well when suddenly it cuts away to people trying to manipulate you by capturing your tension and selling you on something.
Speaker 2: I could see that definitely having been the case with Death Moon. Because Death Moon if you don't familiar, if you're not familiar with it or you don't remember the episode. This is about an overworked man going on a vacation to Hawaii where he begins to change into a werewolf. Much of what occurs in the film, though, is exactly the kind of life that advertisements might have been selling you on. You know, like a successful single man, you know, looking for love, you know, working hard, but trying to play hard a little bit as well, but then also changing into a murderous monster at night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a dapper dan man, but yeah, gargoyles.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's maybe a harder case than you made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it really fits that. As I've said, I do think Gargoyles is very entertaining. There are some elements of it that kind of work pretty well as intended. It's definitely funny in some ways. I don't know how well, at least for me, it holds up as actual horror building, actual horror tens. But I do want to say I think there is a special esthetic weirdness, and more specifically, I would say a bleakness to the handful of made for TV horror movies that I've seen from the seventies. I don't know if I have exactly the right words to explain this, but as close as I can get is a couple of things. One is that they often kind of incorporate a slightly alarming feeling of numbness, like a spiritual an hedonia. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: It all? Yeah? Yeah, I mean this. You know, it's impossible to think about these pictures without thinking about, like, what's going on in the nineteen seventies, late nineteen seventies, early seventies. Wherever a predicture work particular work happens to fall. You know, you know, what does it say about about the zeitgeist at the time and the like the general like feeling about the world and about your place in the world. And I guess, you know, part of that comes out of like like being a kid who was born in the seventies. You know, it's kind of like this is this is the world that I like emerge from, Like this is the alchemy that produced me. It's like, what does it say about the world I came from? What does it say about who I am now? And so forth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I don't mean this at all as a commentary on you where the world you came from. But the thing I mean is, I don't know, there's this background feeling in these movies of kind of searching after pleasures that can no longer satisfy or something like that, this kind of emptiness and longing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the post nineteen sixties world, you know, to invoke the famous quote by Hunter S. Thompson, you know, after the wave has has crested and fallen and fallen back from where we are now. Yeah, often a sense of that vibe. And at the same time there's also a part of it again coming back to having been born in the seventies, like, these pictures sort of feel like home, and I want and I feel comfortable in them, and they make me want to to some extent, not to like a literal extent, but it makes me, to some extent like want to crawl into them and inhabit that world and find some sort of safety there that, of course, you know, has no real connection to what the nineteen seventies were actually like or certainly the world's depicted in these films.
Speaker 3: I belong in this gargoyle cave. But the other thing I was thinking is that because these made for TV movies are restricted to FCC content standards, nothing ever gets north of PG you know, they're fairly tame. This one is often singled out for being especially frightening and violent by TV standards, but even in this case, I would say it is very tame compared to the horror movies of the same time. In his you know this is not The Exorcist.
Speaker 2: Oh certainly not.
Speaker 3: And because of that, there is counterintuitively a feeling of restrained viciousness that is actually quite menacing when you focus on it. It's like the made for TV horror movie asks you to imagine the version of the story that you could not be shown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: Anyway, That's all I've got on made for TV horror right now. But maybe we can revisit this topic as.
Speaker 2: We go on. Oh absolutely, absolutely, and I'm sure it will also come back to more made for TV horror in the future.
Speaker 3: I mean, as we just read, there are at least one hundred of them by nineteen eighty seven, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's some real dogs in there, but probably plenty of other gems as well.
Speaker 3: Is Dracula's dog one of them?
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, maybe so maybe, so we'll come back to Dracula's dog in this episode. All right, elevator pitch. I'm gonna invoke Jimmy Rodgers Desert Blues here and say, way out on the windswept desert where nature favors no man, the gargoyle found Diana at rest on the sun baked sand. That's beautiful. Now, I do not have some trailer audio to include here. I'd really hope to find a little like CBS promo like tonight on the CBS New Tuesday Night Movie, but I could not find anything. I found some things that might have been legitimate trailers of the day other things that were definitely creations from a later point, so we'll just have to imagine what it might have consisted of.
Speaker 3: See, this is what I want AI to help with. When there's like footage that you know is out there but doesn't have the proper metadata and you can't locate it, that's what I want AI to help me do is find that promo for the CBS movie.
Speaker 2: Oh well, sorry, it's gonna make whole podcasts instead. All right, So if you you want to see Gargoyles, luckily it is widely available, and it's been widely available for a while. There have been a few different vhs and DVD releases. Ideal viewing is of course, on an old school television set, but you know, do what you can with what you have. There's been no Blu ray release that I'm aware of, and it's widely available on streaming right now, like various legitimate streaming platforms have at you can. I think you can find a few different versions of it on YouTube as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, you're not allowed to watch this movie unless at least seventy percent of the mass of your TV is wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, big wooden television set let's serve you well here all right, Well, let's get into the people behind this picture, starting at the top with the director. It's Bill Norton born nineteen forty three American director Norton. Here was coming off of his most well regarded feature film, his first nineteen seventy one Cisco Pike, starring Chris Kristofferson, Karen Black, Harry Dean Stanton, and Gene Hackman. Rip'ed all four of those individuals. Norton also co wrote the movie Cisco Pike. Gargoyles was his follow up, and he went on to direct More American Graffiti in seventy nine, as well as another film that I've seen, Baby Secret of the Lost Legend. This is a nineteen eighty five film about people going to the jungle and finding a cute baby dinosaur. Definitely watched this so on VHS as a kid, and he also did a lot of TV work, both series and films. His credits include episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as well as the nineteen eighties Twilight Zone revival.
Speaker 3: Okay, I looked up Baby Secret of the Lost Legend. I want to assure people it's cuter than what I had in mind, which was the baby from the TV show Dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a different baby dinosaur. This is like Brontosaurus or something to that effect, some sort of sarapot.
Speaker 3: The original poster for it is kind of nice. It has that old school jungle adventure look. A more recent poster for it. I guess this is box art for a re release of the DVD. Seems to steal the visual theme of Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you know, it made sense. It's like, look around and see, wow, this dinosaur movie is really making a lot of money. Well, we have one already on the shelf, ready to go. Let's go ahead and bust it out. I don't remember anything else about it except scenes where they're engaging with the dinosaur in the jungle.
Speaker 3: As I said, haven't seen it, but it looks to me like it fits in the e Walk adventure kind of market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. With a score by Jerry Goldsman. All right, moving on to the writing. This is the work of the husband and wife writing duo of Stephen Karf and Eleanor Karf. Stephen was born in nineteen thirty nine. Eleanor lived nineteen thirty nine through twenty thirteen. Their credits include the nineteen eighties daytime soap opera Capital, four, episodes of Kung Fu, and the nineteen seventy eight TV movie Devil Dog the Hound of Hell starring Krenna.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the one we keep thinking is called Dracula's Dog.
Speaker 2: No, this is a different one. Oh yeah, there's Devil Dog Hound of Hell. And then there's Dracula's Dog, which we will come back to in a bit because it also is connected to this movie. And so.
Speaker 3: I can't even count our blessings today.
Speaker 2: All right. Getting into the cast top build is Cornell Wilde, playing the character of doctor Mercer Bowley. Wild lived nineteen twelve through nineteen eighty nine. Hungarian born American actor of stage, screen, and TV, who is nominated for an Oscar for nineteen forty six. Is A Song to Remember, in which he starred and nominated for a Hugo Award in nineteen seventy four, No Blade of Grass, which he directed. His uncredited acting where it goes back to the mid nineteen thirties and it's His actual credits include nineteen fifty two's The Greatest Show on Earth and episodes of Such TV shows as I Love Lucy Night Gallery, Fantasy Island, and Murder, she wrote. He's also in Charles B. Pearce's nineteen seventy eight Viking movie The Norseman.
Speaker 3: Oh I've never seen that, but that's been on my radar for a while. Charles B. Pearce is the buggy Creek guy.
Speaker 2: Right correct, Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah. He did one Viking epic. So there's a lot to say about this character, not really as much as say about the performance. I mean, Cornell wild is fine in this.
Speaker 3: He's playing it just right down the middle.
Speaker 2: Right down the middle he does. There is a major you know, I could be shirtless in this scene energy in this film, which makes sense once he takes his shirt off. So he was in his sixties at this point, and I was looking back at I wasn't super familiar with Cornell Wilde's work, but looking back through his filmography, he was off in shirtless. So you know, kudos to him for being in such great shape at age sixty.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he's in his sixties, can't believe how good he looks. I was thinking he did not look old enough to be Jennifer Saltz's Cater's dad, Like, yeah, she's She's apparently supposed to be like thirty, and I was reading him as like, I don't know, early forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean that's one of the reasons he had such a long career. But the character here, there's much, there's much, I don't know how much we want to get into right now, but he's maybe not the most likable protagonists. Like not to say he's in like full blown anti hero domain or anything, but a lot of a lot of questions early on, like this is really the guy we're gonna stick with? This is our hero.
Speaker 3: This is not on Cornell Wilde as an actor, but just the way the character is written is strange. He's characterized oddly from the get go with the they make some strange choices about his level of sincerity in his own work, and then also at the end, yeah he he you really get into like, wait, who's the real bad guy here? Territory that does not seem to be acknowledged by the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Now, playing his daughter, Diana, who we just mentioned, is Jennifer Salt born nineteen forty two American actress who previously appeared in nineteen sixty Nine's A Midnight Cowboy, which her father Waldo Salt wrote the Academy Award winning screenplay for. She was also in seventy two's Played Again Sam for TV and sixty five episodes of the TV series Soap. She's remained very active as a producer, and this is interesting talking about TV horror because she is Slash was a producer on American Horror Story, which is in a totally different TV horror ecosystem than what we have in the nineteen seventies, but notable.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, you know who though in this would really fit in on the season of American Horror Story would be Grayson Hall as Miss Parks. Doesn't that Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Like an American Horror Story character.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, out out of the characters we encounter, definitely, definitely speaking yeah of Grayson Hall, her character Miss Parks. This is our noisy hotel lady who is always nursing a water glass half full of dark liquor.
Speaker 3: You know, Julian from Trailer Park Boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. So. Grayson Hall lived nineteen twenty two through nineteen eighty five an American actress who was nominated for an Oscar for her supporting role in nineteen sixty five's The Night of the Iguana, directed by John Houston, and she's perhaps best known for playing the psychologist doctor Julia Hoffman on TV's Dark Shadows and the nineteen seventy movie House of Dark Shadows. I'm only vaguely familiar with the Dark Shadows world via seeing like bits and pieces of episode I think on the Sci Fi Channel back in the nineties, but this was apparently a major character. This was essentially, i think, originally sort of a Van Helsing sort of character who becomes more of a collaborator with the family of supernatural characters. Huh. Grayson Hall also appeared in nineteen sixty two Satan in High Heels and nineteen sixty five's That Darn Cat. I hear, it's pretty darned yeah, But in this film, definite character work, you know, and it's it's amusing for what it is.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned she has a glass of liquor in her hand in all of her scenes, which starts off being, you know, she's in her apartment, or then she's walking next door from her apartment to another apartment, but it becomes increasingly absurd because in later scenes she's that way, like in a police station or like getting into a truck as a passenger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's glued to her hand or something. It's absolutely part of her ensemble the whole time, all right, playing the gargoyle, not the only gargoyle in the picture, but the main gargoyle. The leader of the gargoyles is Bernie Casey, who of nineteen thirty nine through twenty seventeen NFL Pro football player turn actor, artist and poet. He had to look up at the football details here for sure, but he apparently played for the forty nine Ers and the Rams, not at the same time, like one and then the other. I don't remember which one came first. I think forty nine Ers first, then the Rams played for them in the nineteen sixties, and then made the transition into acting first with nineteen sixty nine's Guns of the Magnificent Seven. So at this point in his career he'd had a string of credits, but it was still pretty early, and this might be part of the reason I'm guessing why his voice ends up being cut. More on that in a minute. But we don't actually hear Bernie Casey in the picture it's but still it's a solid physical monster suit performance. Bernie Casey was like six', four you, know and you, know strongly, built so he occupies that monster suit rather well and looms very well over the human. Characters also has very expressive eyes that work. Well you, know all this works well to establish the presence of the lead. Gargoyle.
Speaker 3: YEAH i would say this is one of those cases where the performance comes through even though the actor is hidden behind makeup in a costume and we're not hearing their original. Voice you. Know Some santo movies we've watched are like, that where like a physical performance is good enough that it gets through all of the apparatus and through the.
Speaker 2: Dubbing, yeah, YEAH i, mean and again coming back To spanish, cinema Like Paul, nashy we almost never Hear Paul nashiy's actual, voice and the same goes for a number Of spanish actors at the. Time, so but, yeah So Bernie casey is our. Gargoyle early on in his, career he appeared in such black'sploitation pit titles As Black chariot seventy, One Cleopatra jones seventy, three as well as seventy six Is Doctor Black Mister hyde that we've mentioned that, before because that was the follow up To blackula by Director William, crane WHICH i haven't seen. Yet i've got the disc but i've heard good things about, it AND i haven't seen these other pictures THAT i just mentioned. Either and you, know as we've talked about before when we've brought up blacks exploitation cinema is that sometimes that's kind of a big, tint and it may include films that are more or less in the exploitive category of, things you. Know SO i can't speak to any of these pictures, individually except For Black, elow which we did an episode on last year and recently re. Ran but out of This Bernie casey ends up moving into all manner of, films Including The Man Who fell To, earth which we previously discussed On Weird, house a small but poignant. Part he won a nineteen seventy FOUR Naacp Image award for his role In, maury in which he starred Opposite Bose, vincent who is Not frankenstein's monster in that. Picture subsequent film roles included eighty One Sharky's, machine eighty Three's Never Say, Never, AGAIN A James bond, picture eighty Four's revenge of The, nerds eighty, Eight So I'm going To Get you sucka eighty Nine's bill And Ted's Excellent adventure nineteen nineties and other forty Eight, hours ninety, Twos Under, siege ninety five's in The mouth Of, madness ninety Six's once on A Time When We Were, colored and his final film was two thousand and Seven's Vegas. Vampires he also did a fair amount OF tv, work including seventy One's Brian, song nineteen, Eighties The Martian chronicles based on the work Of Ray, bradberry And Star Trek Deep space, nine among. Others Now. Again in this, picture he is. Dubbed he's dubbed By Vic, perrin who's also the narrator at the beginning of the. Picture paren lived nineteen sixteen through nineteen eighty, nine perhaps best known as the control voice on the Original Outer. Limits you know we control the, horizontal we control the. Vertical he also appeared on SUCH tv series as the Original Star trek and the Original Mission.
Speaker 3: Impossible they give him a real metallic voice in, this don't? They he almost sounds like HE'S i don't, know echoing through a ten box or.
Speaker 2: Something, YEAH i can't SAY i loved, it BUT i mean it works well. Enough AND i don't know what the original audio sounded. LIKE i Think i've read that the filmmakers just thought that the original vocal performs didn't match the creature that they were, creating and you, know they decided they needed to go With Vic. Pearen SO i don't. Know and again early on in the career of the Actor Bernie casey, here SO i don't know if that played into it at all as.
Speaker 3: Well, well no offense To Vic, peren but give us The Bernie casey. Cut give it to us, cowards you've got.
Speaker 2: It, YEAH i Mean Bernie casey had a great, voice so you, Know i'd like to hear. It BUT i looked around for, it in, fact BUT i couldn't find any evidence of. It All, right moving on through the cast, here we also Have Scott glenn popping up playing the Character. James what is this Reager? Reger, yeah one of the dirt bike.
Speaker 3: Boys we didn't mention right at the top that this in some ways is a gargoyles versus bikers.
Speaker 2: Movie, yes, Yeah, eventually the threat of The gargoyles will unite the natural enemies of bikers and cops will come together to battle the gargoyle. Menace So Scott, GLENN i, think is a name THAT i think most of you are probably familiar, with perhaps born in nineteen thirty, nine Though i've seen some pages and databases that are a little vague on, this as if it's. Unknown but he is still alive because he's very, Active like he's just in THE tv Series Bad, monkey WHICH i really, enjoyed and also he's in the latest season Of The White, lotus so again very. Active Great american character, actor perhaps most appreciated for those grizzled character roles that he would do a mid and later, career but his, SCREEN tv And broadway credits go back to the mid, sixties so he'd already been in a handful of things Before. Gargoyles he went on to appear In Apocalypse now in seventy, nine which was kind of a shock to me because he's largely unrecognizable to my eyes, anyway he's, bearded he's kind of not one of the more prominent, characters but he is in.
Speaker 3: IT i don't remember that.
Speaker 2: He's in More American, graffiti nineteen Eighty's Urban, cowboy and he Plays rick in the nineteen eighty Two John frankenheimer Kickboxer samurai Film The. Challenge, YEAH i haven't seen, it But i'm familiar with. IT i Think i've watched the trailer a few. Times but things really picked up at this point in his career because He's the subsequent pictures he was in included nineteen eighty Three Is The Right, stuff in which he Plays Alan. Shepard he's In Michael Mann's The, keep and his other credits include eighty Five, silverado, Nineties The hunt For Red october ninety, One The silence of The lambs two thousand and One's Training, day and SUCH tv shows As, Daredevil The, leftovers and Again Bad. Monkey in the latest season Of White.
Speaker 3: Lotus, Uh i'm not gonna Say scott glenn is swinging for the fences in this. Movie he's it feels like he's just kind of turning in a workaday. Performance but he's a good, actor so he does better than you might imagine selling lines about you, know he's like in a prison cell talking To Jennifer salt about whether gargoyles are, real and he at one point he hasked to say something like they were attacked by one of those gar, things and you know he's making it.
Speaker 2: Through, Yeah let's see a couple of small. Performers i'm including them because you did a screenshot of their credit at the. End we HAVE tv style credits at the end of this picture where we see their picture in the name of the actor the name of the. Character we Have William stevens playing Police. Chief dates unknown as far AS i could tell on this, actor mostly A tv player whose credits include the Original Outer limits in nineteen seventy One's The Mephisto. Waltz and then we also Have John gruber Playing, jesse another cop who lived nineteen forty two through nineteen eighty, one mostly A tv player whose credits Include Night. Gallery now this according TO. IMDb i have not been able to verify this, elsewhere BUT IMDb claims that he is the father Of Joshua, todd the lead singer often shirtless of the Band Buck. Cherry AND i have to say this feels too random to not be, true so please correct me If i'm wrong out, there But i'm going to at least for now accept this is.
Speaker 3: Reality it would be a hilarious project to just make up facts like.
Speaker 2: That, YEAH i, MEAN i think people are that. Bored they've done it before ON. IMDb so that's WHY i do want to add the caveat that this might not be, true but it also feels too weird and specific to be anything but.
Speaker 3: Reality you know this seventies actor you've never heard. Of he's the dad of the like the cocaine.
Speaker 2: Guy so, wait, wait they had a song about.
Speaker 3: Cocaine that's the One Buck cherry. SONG i know you know what the song. IS i love the. Cocaine oh, MAN i.
Speaker 2: Don't maybe maybe We're i'm remembering the same, song BUT i didn't know what they were saying in. IT i haven't thought About Buck cherry in a long. TIME i just remember that he was like shirtless in the music. VIDEOS i think we've got a lot of tattoos. Done, yeah, yeah shirtless and, tattooed all? Right and then uh, oh we have the character Of Uncle willie played By woodrow Or Woody, chambliss who lived nineteen fourteen through nineteen eighty, One american character actor of, stage, screen AND tv who made numerous memorable appearances on THE tv Western gun. Smoke and you know he has already popped up on Weird house because he plays a very similar role In The Devil's rain from nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Five oh, yeah, yeah he just really slots right in as the kind of weird old desert. Codure.
Speaker 2: Yeah you need a weird old dude in the desert mumbling about dark, secrets, well then call call Up woody because he'll he can totally do. It his other credits include nineteen fifty seven's three ten To yuma and nineteen seventy Eight Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, band which of course Starred Peter frampton and The. Begies i'm ALWAYS i have had that revelation many times over the years that this is not a movie with the Actual beatles in.
Speaker 3: It, well you know what the song, Says Sergeant pepper he taught the band, play so it's you, know it's like the second. Generation.
Speaker 2: YEAH i Think woody plays the like the Senior Sargant peppers in, that BUT i Can't i've never seen, it SO i can't say much on, that BUT i will say That woody's a lot of fun in. THIS i feel like it's perhaps the best performance in the whole, movie, though as you mentioned, earlier it does change drastically over the course of a commercial. Break.
Speaker 3: Yeah he goes from shrewdly negotiating a book deal to suddenly just being like shaky and drunk and clearly making up lies about something about like folklore he was.
Speaker 2: Told, yeah and he also goes from being like, like, hey you need to help me write my book to you believe me or you get out of my shed right, Now and it happens rather rather. Swiftly, yeah all. Right we mentioned that Stan winston was behind the look of the. Creatures, indeed he is credited with The gargoyle. Makeup Stan winston lived nineteen forty six through two thousand and. Eight legendary, name multiple Time Oscar award winner and nominee for such films as eighty Seven's alien, Eight, predator ninety One's Edward Scissor, hands ninety Twos terminator, two and ninety Four's Jurassic. Park he had studied sculpture and moved To hollywood to pursue a career in, acting but ended up taking a makeup apprenticeship At Walt Disney. Studios gargoyles was his first, picture and he followed this up with a number of early pictures of, note including nineteen seventy four as The Bat, people WHICH i believe that one was featured On Mystery Science theater and handsome as you'd, expect cool monster. Effects he also did makeup on nineteen seventy Six's Doctor Black Mister, hyde which we just. Mentioned his mini credits range from small pictures to big, ones from serious dramas without any kind of speculative element to just, horror sci fi and fantasy pictures with extravagant visions of monsters and robots and what have. You as a, director he gave us a handful of, films including nineteen eighty Eight's. PUMPKINHEAD i will also throw in, That. Yes his other credits include nineteen seventy Seven's Dracula's dog Aka zoltan Of dracula.
Speaker 3: Aka a different movie than the other one we, mentioned.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, yeah they're a number OF i don't, know is this like canine'sploitation. Cinema there's like a whole supernatural dog cinematic universe out. There during the seventies and.
Speaker 3: Eighties Satanicus, Rex The Bow wow Of.
Speaker 2: Hell all, right and then finally the. Music the composer here Is Robert, prince who lived nineteen twenty nine through two thousand and. Seven and you, KNOW i often talk about films that have a nineteen Seventies Night gallery, sound you, know kind of slightly, surreal slightly disturbing music that's maybe a little bit, jazzy AND i honestly can't get enough of it with these. Films but today's selection certainly has that, sound and the man responsible for it actually composed music for episodes Of Night, gallery so not the theme song From Night, gallery but he did do the episode music for three season one. EPISODES i would say.
Speaker 3: The music In gargoyles is for what it, is it's pretty. Good there aren't really any especially memorable themes or melodies or anything like, that but a lot of it's just kind of, eerie ambient, sound and for that it's pretty.
Speaker 2: GOOD i wonder how much of That AND i don't know enough about how theme songs and episodic episodic music worked ON tv in the, day BUT i wonder how much of it was Around like you're not supposed to stand out in the episode, itself like you don't want, to you don't want to interfere with the theme. Song like the theme song is doing the heavy lifting and you're just here to add the necessary ambiance and emotional support throughout the. Episode, uh and maybe that's part of the character of what we have. Here you, know we don't have something that feels like The gargoyles theme. Song though what if we, did that would be amazing as well with the. Lyrics, yeah but. Anyway prince worked also worked on THE Tv Richard mathieson anthology Series circle Of, fear which is hosted hosted by The Sebastian. Cabot he worked mostly IN, tv but also scored a pair of noteworthy nineteen seventy six, films the black exploitation horror Film JD's revenge And Jeff Lieberman's.
Speaker 3: Squirm, Sorry i'm distracted thinking about what nineteen seventies rocker would write the Best gargoyles theme. Song i'm kind of thinking in The Steve miller. Zone. Yeah can can you imagine that it's a sort of jaded seventies rock?
Speaker 2: Tune? Yeah, yeah, YEAH i could see that. Working Like i'm instantly reminded of the nineteen seventy one film Zat or The bloodwaters Of DOCTOR z which we've talked, about which has that great theme song that is really like all about sympathizing with the villain of the picture in ways that the picture maybe doesn't completely back. Up SO i could see something like that working, here some sort of folksy ballad about the plight of the car. Coil what's that?
Speaker 3: One that was Like World war three boy or? Something World war two?
Speaker 2: Boy that's World war two? Boy oh, yeah and, Yeah i'm trying to remember who did that. Offhand jamie, Defrates jamie, Defrats that's who it. Was sache through the.
Speaker 3: Sarcasm, okay you ready to talk about the?
Speaker 2: Plot, yeah, yeah let's dive right in with some.
Speaker 3: Woodcuts, yeah so we get a cold open with The Outer limits voiceover. Narration it's that metallic electronic sound Of vic Paren, right he's the one doing, It, yeah, yeah talking at us, forcefully while we see various images of, yeah old, woodcuts paintings with demonic. Themes there's definitely some bosh in, there and also photos of grotesque statues on cathedral. Architecture the very first critter we see is kind of interesting. LOOKING i don't know what this is, from but it looks like a cross between a lamb's face and The Lance henrickson morph of pumpkinhead for Another Stan winston tie.
Speaker 2: In oh it, does doesn't. It, Yeah but.
Speaker 3: ALSO i pulled out a screenshot for you to look at, Here. ROB i like the demon with the kind of, lumpy bulbous. Face it's kind of a tumor. Face AND i did a reverse image search and found, nothing so this could be original to the. MOVIE i don't.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah it almost looks like a, Tattoo like it's a picture of somebody's like abs or. SOMETHING i don't.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, Anyway i've got to read the opening narration because this will lay the. Groundwork So Vic parrin, says as if speaking through kind of decaying, Circuitry parents, says the devil was once the most favored of the host of angels serving The, lord but pride welled in his. Breast he thought it unseemly for him to serve the devil in his band of, followers who likewise suffered the sin of, pride were defeated in battle by The lord and his, host and were banished to the outermost depths Of, hell never to know the presence of The, lord or look on heaven, again smarting with his, wounds but all the more swollen with the devil cried out from the. Depths it is better to rule in hell than serve in.
Speaker 2: Heaven all, right so you know thus, far you know there's a very strong paradise lost theme here.
Speaker 3: Exactly war in, heaven the, demons the rebellious, angels are. Defeated they fall to. Pandemonium and, yeah better to serve in, hell or rule in, hell than serve in. Heaven but it goes, on it says the devil proclaimed what was lost in heaven would be gained on. Earth he, said my, offspring the gargoyles will one day rule The lord's works earth and. Man and so it came to pass that while man ruled on, earth the gargoyles, waited, lurking hidden from the. Light reborn every six hundred years in man's reckoning of, time the gargoyles joined battle against man to gain dominion over the. Earth in each, coming the gargoyles were nearly destroyed by, men who flourished in greater. Numbers now it has been so many hundreds of years that it seems the ancient statues and paintings of gargoyles are just products of man's. Imagination in this, year with man's thoughts turned toward the many ills he has brought upon, himself man has forgotten his most ancient, adversary the. Gargoyles this is funny to me in so many. Ways first of, all no acknowledgment really of the architectural, connection except that it says like it says, now it's been many hundreds of. Years it seems the statues and paintings are just. Imagination SO i guess it's saying every six hundred years of what from nineteen seventy, Two that would mean in thirteen seventy two the gargoyles were, last they emerged and were, defeated people made statues and, paintings and then since thirteen seventy two people were, like, ah that was all just made. Up, also the movie seems to simply believe gargoyle equals. Demon it's just the.
Speaker 2: Same, so of, course feels like one of the most tacked on intro narration bits That i've ever, heard you, know where someone's, like, yeah we really need something to the beginning to draw folks in and let them know what's to, Come so let's bring In vic paren and have him or read, something write something up for.
Speaker 3: Me, yeah you've got to kind of reconcile everything also while that's going. On so AGAIN i, said we see a bunch of these paintings and, stuff BUT i wanted to pull out rob one picture that was pretty. Good who's this, like shirtless guy who's laying back while just a stream of unidentified liquid pours into his. Mouth.
Speaker 2: Nice, NICE i feel like this was partially. Recreated And labyrinth there's a scene where goblins drinking drippings from some sort of a. Barrel but, yeah we see a lot of horrific imagery in the, background some of it like ultimately a little harder than anything we see later. On but it makes sense if you're wanting to get something right there at the top to let folks know that they're in for a demonic horror, picture even if it's going to be mostly boring desert scene at. First this is a pretty cheap way to do, It like have narration that mentions the devil and all, this and then throw in a bunch of clip, art you, know a bunch of you, know old woodcuts and details From bosh paintings that're gonna really drive that home for. Folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, anyway once the ancient mariner has let go of our arms and stopped yelling at, us we plunk down on an airstrip in The American southwest and we see like there's a single engine prop plane coming to a stop in the, foreground a bigger passenger plane landing in the, background and the title of the movie slams up on the screen in the same green slime font used for The goosebumps.
Speaker 2: Books this font just screams. Fun i'm not saying that fun will necessarily be had in the opening sequences of this, picture but the font is very.
Speaker 3: Fun so we come up on a park lot next to the airstrip and Here's Cornell. Wild he parks his, car which is a sort of, pale, drab toothpaste foam green color of station, wagon and he gets. Out he's waiting for. Somebody one THING i briefly wanted to flag just because it interested. ME i noticed while pausing and taking screenshots of this movie that there are different visual artifacts than WHAT i usually see WHEN i pause a. MOVIE i paused it here With Cornell wild in motion running from his, car and he's, blurry which is not, surprising but the way that he's blurry is that he seems to be surrounded by a haze of, horizontal dark spines protruding from the outline of his, body almost taking the form of a sort of data. Pinhead i've got a zoom in here for you to look. AT i don't know exactly what causes, this BUT i have to suspect it has to do with the fact that this movie was made FOR, tv so maybe it was shot on a different kind of, camera maybe A tv video camera of the kind of maybe shot on video to magnetic tape instead of to. Film AND i don't really, know BUT i thought that was. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, YEAH i don't THINK i did much pausing on. MINE i wasn't getting any screen caps at, all SO i didn't notice, this but this is a great point.
Speaker 3: Anyway the character played By Cornell wilde is Again Professor Mercer, bully and the person he is waiting for here at the airstrip is his adult, Daughter Diana bully played By Jennifer, salt and she gets off the. Plane we see her like, disembarking and she is clutching in the crook of her arm a cat sized demon. Statue so she meets up with her father and they hug and have their you, know they're, reunited and he, Says i'm so glad you decided to join me and bring Me. Calamudri and we see. This we never get a really good look at this, statue but it does look tremendous from from the angles we do get And, rob you ended up digging up something about where this demon statue came.
Speaker 2: From, YEAH i mean part of. IT i didn't remember that i'd seen this, before BUT i. WASN'T i didn't remember all the plot, elements AND i WAS i was looking Up calumudry Because i'm, like all, right this is going to factor into the plot, Maybe AND i was curious if this name had any actual connection to demons in any culture, mythology AND i don't think it. Does BUT i ended up running across the details of the sculpture that we see. Here as it turns, out the sculpture of the demon in question was made By california based Artist Jim. Rump that's R U. M P h who lived nineteen forty two through nineteen ninety three and as far AS i can tell he was a mad potter in the grand tradition of mad potters for.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah there's a there's like a website about his career THAT i didn't get all that deep, into but it just it exudes weird.
Speaker 2: Wildness that's, right the rump dot. Com so that's thhg R u m P h dot. COM i highly recommend checking it. Out you can see a lot of his work. There so he was highly active in the late sixties and the seventies and the, eighties and he worked out of his own Slime factory studio In Santa. Monica that's s L y by the. Way AND i even found a business card printed on cardboard for The Slime factory there for, You. Joe it has the original address AND i think phone number of the studio AND i looked it up to see what's there, today and it's you, know it's like a modern house or condo or. Something but back in the, day this is where the Slime factory, was and it's where it, apparently from WHAT i could gather on the, website various counterculture bohemian artists seem to gather for what was called The Mind. Circus according to the rump Dot, com this is Where jim created all manner of, sculptures from like demon helms and wizard bongs to officially Licensed Star wars. Tankards so you, know we're talking like Handcrafted Star wars mugs straight from the. Kiln and apparently the situation here is Like lucas knew of his. Work George lucas like officially allowed him to produce these as Licensed Star wars memorabilia in the late nineteen seventies or early.
Speaker 3: EIGHTIES i could be wrong about, this but from my, understanding that is a rare, honor like not Have lucas say, like, uh, oh you can't do.
Speaker 2: That, yeah But i've seen some pictures of and some of. Them a lot of his work is readily available On, eBay like he can pick up A rump mug or What i'm believed to be an Official rump mug for like twenty. Bucks but if you want to get A Star wars one like An obi Wan, kenobi you're looking at two hundred bucks. Thereabouts look, around explore the world for yourself if you want to invest in some, art but they're at the slime. Factory according to The rump dot Com they also made casts of everyone's navels so they could display them on the. Wall and, yeah it sounds like he was a real wild. Character and, Yeah i've just found it really interesting that this one little sculpture that doesn't factor into the plot much at all at. All, yeah has this connection to this underground artist who seems to have enjoyed us a kind of a resurgence in recent. Years according to that, website like a lot of people have kind of forgotten About Jim rump and a lot of it's you, know coalescing once. More but that website includes listings for not only the sculpture we see, here but also like a painting or drawling THAT i guess was kind of like the concept art for the.
Speaker 3: Piece well Maybe Jennifer salt's character is supposed to be a friend Of.
Speaker 2: Rump's maybe, SO i, mean she seems like a free spirited. GAL i don't know where she's flying in. From he's got some hippie.
Speaker 3: Energy, yeah. Yea so she gives it to her, Dad Mercer, bolli and he's, like oh Boyd he like puts it in a box and he, Says calimudri will just about complete my collection of. Demons so through dialogue we learn a bit about their family. Situation mercer And diana's mother are now divorced and the mother has, remarried and it's discussed That diana and her mother don't see each other. Much diana seems to be maybe in her like late twenties or maybe about. Thirty and we are going to learn That mercer is a professor who, researches it seems both archaeology and, anthropology AND i guess also like folklore under, anthropology and he writes books for a. Living and this involves a lot of. Travel so it used to be normal For diana and her mother to accompany him on these research, trips but that hasn't happened in a, while and Now diana is excited to join her dad for a new. Project it's not spelled out, explicitly, well it nearly. IS i think she is a photographer who takes pictures that will be used in his. Books did you understand it that?
Speaker 2: Way? Right? Right, yeah he's put working on the next, book like That's ali makes The bacon and he needs some photographs of something going out into the field to get some content for the next.
Speaker 3: Book so they're about to talk more about, that but before we get, THERE i have to MENTION i typically am going to avoid making fun of the appearance of child, actors BUT i have to point out there's this kid in the. Background like the way the light is falling on this blonde child with dark. Eyes he looks like he's like sorting through the baggage card at the, airport and he looks like the spawn Of Rutger hower And Emperor. PALPATINE i was confused by this kid because at, first like AS i was beginning to sort of ease into.
Speaker 2: The, PICTURE i thought this kid was with, them and THEN i even thought he was in the station wagon with. Them, later because it looks like there's something moving in the back of the station, WAGON i was, like, oh as a, Person, yeah So i'm, LIKE i guess this is the younger. Brother but then THEN i realized, later, like, no this kid has no connection to these, characters so he's just. Gone we never see him.
Speaker 3: Again, yeah bye. Bye, Anyway mercer And diana they get in the station, wagon they drive off into the desert and then chat awkward About mercer's career for the benefit of the. Audience ROB i think you were calling attention to some of these dialogue scenes in the car at the beginning as being especially. Funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah we have some sequences where it's just the station wagon driving, along no interior shots and his dialogue. Voiceover, yeah we eventually do enter the vehicle with them for. Conversations and, YEAH i enjoy all of the scenes with the station, wagon including some later on that are very GARTH marangi dark. Place oh, like it's clearly like filmed, inside with people shaking the car on both, sides with.
Speaker 3: The gargoyles clinging to the roof that's obviously secured there by some. Anyway so we learn from their dialogue That Mercer bowley, is AS i, said archaeologist and, anthropologist but his work focuses especially on demons and, monsters and he is not just your average. Academic he is a media superstar who writes best selling books and he gets booked ON tv talk. Shows apparently his gig is telling people that, demons, devils and witchcraft are not, real they are only. Superstition so they're they're setting him up as a kind Of James randy Of satanic. Monsterdom you may think demons and devils and monsters are, real but they're.
Speaker 2: Not. Yeah you can imagine him even being On carson back in the, day like you, know like A Late Tonight show guest that pops up and has some fun With johnny talking about some demon like maybe he even brings in this.
Speaker 3: Sculpture but Then diana is, like she, Goes, dad do you really believe the world of evil is nothing more than a? Fantasy and he, replies who knows it sells my? Books what a bizarre aura of anti viisimilitude the writers have conjured here with this. Character so a few. Things first of, all the idea of like he's a professor who specializes in demons and monsters and who rakes in the cash by publishing books claiming the demons and monsters are not. Real let me tell you that is absolutely where the money.
Speaker 2: IS i, Mean i've bought plenty of books about demons and monsters and those authors are not claiming they're.
Speaker 3: Real, well but it's not just that he's not claiming they're. Real he's writing books to be like that demon not?
Speaker 2: Real yeah, Real, yeah He's it's not just about this is an important folk. Belief you get more of the sense that he's, like demons are. Nonsense, now let me show you some.
Speaker 3: Pictures, yeah and they like set him up on THESE tv talk shows to like argue with witches and. Stuff so that's his public, persona but we find out in private he doesn't actually have a position on whether demons are real or. Not it's just a character he insincerely adopts because that's how he makes, money that's what the public. Wants Bizarre, anyway he is currently working on a book called five Thousand years Of, demonology and the goal of this book will be to quote Trace man's conception of evil from three THOUSAND bc to the.
Speaker 2: Present, yeah and he said it's going to be a big seller Come christmas, season like this is the one everyone's gonna want on their uh there there on their living room, table like big coffee table vibes.
Speaker 3: Here, yeah and of Course diana's photos are going to be in the book as. Well but SO i guess this is like the first leg of the trip to research this. Book they're currently en route to meet a gin guzzling desert crank the professor has been corresponding with who claims to have knowledge of devil monster uh and so they're going to be driving for a while to get, there and boy strap yourself in for these driving. Scenes there's even a scene where they take a wrong turn and have to go back five.
Speaker 2: Miles, yeah, yeah you. Can this is this is where you begin to understand why we have that that tact on narration and the sequence of demonic.
Speaker 3: Imagery BUT i will, say, ACTUALLY i guess the Wrong turren scene is the first time we see a, gargoyle not actually, see but indirectly, see because as the car comes to a, stop we see it framed from far. Away we're like up on a rocky hill, nearby and suddenly there is a winged humanoid shadow that falls over the, rocks and this, unsettling fluttering electronic music kicks, in and you know it's conjuring some decent.
Speaker 2: Atmosphere yeah, YEAH i mean it's often pointed out, that you, know nighttime is certainly a great place for supernatural threats to, reside but sometimes if you do it, right the daytime can be equally. Terrifying AND i mean here we do have a desolate desert. Environment there is kind of a weird sense that, like how could they not see something so? Big but THEN i don't know you're thinking, about like direct, sun it is possible for things to sort of hide in the, Sun So i'm willing to grant the believability to this.
Speaker 3: SCENE i think daytime in the desert can be a scary. Environment there's kind of, stillness stillness to desert air that can be a little.
Speaker 2: Creepy. Yeah, yeah and, again like the sun can be be bright, thing and there are plenty of natural creatures that can hide quite well in the open desert so that humans can't see, Them and we can easily imagine that a gargoyle could do the. SAME i like these, Gargoyles.
Speaker 3: YES i like out on the way to the meeting. Place next they start seeing these these signs beside the, road like they're about to meet The. Riddler they're just these Big riddler question.
Speaker 2: Marks big like weird unofficial, Signs like there's no sense that these are official like highway, signs like some old kook has been setting these up to try and get the tourist.
Speaker 3: Traffic, yeah they promise a two headed mystery, lizard a snake in and a monster that flies fl ys as well as cold. Beer and so when we get to the. Destination it is Called Uncle Willie's Desert. Museum, yes the pick of fence is falling. Over, yes there's a donkey out. Front, yes the roof is littered with cow.
Speaker 2: Skulls it looks, great it.
Speaker 3: Does, yeah and inside it looks like The sawyer family lives. Here It's tcum. Mansion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah and Again Uncle woody is. Great this is a great character performance. Here end up wanting more than we.
Speaker 3: Get, Right so he's, like already, sweaty AND i think probably been drinking when he first meets. Them he comes out and he's, like why DON'T i just get you some?
Speaker 2: Beers how cold do these beers end up?
Speaker 3: Looking by the, WAY i don't know about, that.
Speaker 2: All, Right so the cold, beer presumably cold, beer has been. Served.
Speaker 3: Yeah so the short version On willie is that he wrote to Doctor bowley saying he has records of Local Native american exorcism rights and he also has some artifacts to. Share But willie tries to kind of flip the. Script he's, like, HEY i saw you ON tv with all your fancy book. LEARNING i am in possession of a gargoyle skeleton AND i want you to co author a book with. Me with my picture on the, cover BECAUSE i, MEAN i agree that would sell. BOOKS i would buy any book that had a picture Of Uncle willy on the.
Speaker 2: Cover and at, first the professor is just, like see you. Later we're gone. Walking we're just walking now and walking out of this. Store AND i guess maybe in the long, run like this was a negotiating, tactic but when it occurs in the, film it just makes him seem like a huge, jerk, like, dude you just flew in, here drove however long through the desert to Meet, willie and you're just gonna immediately walk out on him without hearing him out a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, yeah, yeah But willy's also driving a hard. Bargain. Yeah So willy takes them out to his gargoyle shack where he keeps the. Skeleton it's like a human skeleton in the body sort. Of, ACTUALLY i guess it's not so. Much it's by pal you, know it's, upright but it's got, wings it's got claws instead of, toes and then the head has horns and a giant.
Speaker 2: Beak. YEAH i think someone who has a better head for anatomy might look at this skeleton and have some serious questions about how it all comes together.
Speaker 3: Here, yeah and of Course bully doesn't believe it at. First he's, like this is a concoction of unrelated. Bones he, says he admires the, artistry but he rejects the reality of. It But willie is. Adamant so he's got a bunch of stories of how the local tribes had to hold off these monsters with sacrifices and rituals for hundreds of. Years and then there's a little moment Where diana starts taking pictures While willie's back is, turned and he gets very upset about. This no pictures without a.
Speaker 2: Deal, yeah and he's really good in the. Scene he's totally. Raving but, NOW i will say that this mention of the native practices that were so effective at containing and holding off the, gargoyles this sounds really, Intriguing and you might be tempted to think this is going to come into play now that they've rolled this cannon out on, deck but, no, no it's not gonna come up.
Speaker 3: Again, Well willy gets drunk and he starts trying to like tell some of these tales as told to, him but it sounds like he's just making it up as he goes.
Speaker 2: Along, mmm, NO i don't, know are just having a hard time remembering. It it would have been an interesting twist if like these were really the native lore was really key to defeating the. Gargoyles and you, know all these our contemporary characters here are unable to defeat the gargoyles in the end because they no longer have access to that.
Speaker 3: Information, no it turns out what's crucial to defeating the gargoyles are, guns, gasoline and bashing with.
Speaker 2: Rocks that's.
Speaker 3: Right so in the middle of all, this the gargoyle shack is suddenly it comes under. Attack. Outside there is a fluttering of leathery, wings the walls start, shaking and something is shredding through the door with huge catlike. Claws and in the middle of all, this a big roof beam falls down and Hits. Willy everything catches on. Fire mercer And diana run, Away they like run out to their car to, escape And diana's, like, oh, look Uncle, willy And mercer's just, like leave. Him he's.
Speaker 2: Dead, yeah very quick to write him. Up and then he gets hit in the head and then he's caught on. Fire BUT i don't, know it seemed like there was a.
Speaker 3: Possibility, yeah they didn't really investigate too. Close they just you, know get to leave. Him he's dead very. Easily but they do stop to grab the gargoyle. Skull so there's an escape sequence in the station wagon that involves several more gargoyle attacks in the. Dark there's like one clinging to the, roof WHICH i believe they dislodge by way of a three point. Turn and then also you, know they're attacking the. Window the car gets really banged. Up and, meanwhile while they're driving, away they're listening to the playback of the audio tape they were making Of willy when the shack was.
Speaker 2: Attacked, yeah on all this section, here this is where we get some of those Great GARTH marangi dark place ask shake the car in a dark, room. Yes.
Speaker 3: Effects so after they finned off the gargoyle, attacks it's time to go to the gargoyle. Motel they like drop their car off at an all night service station in the middle of the. Desert that's. Convenient there's a motel right. Nearby and the gargoyles really tore the car. Up it is slashed to, pieces and so they go over to this. MOTEL i looked this. Up this was a real motel Near, Carlsbad New mexico that was called The Cactus. Motel as like a sort of Roadside america POST i found refers to it as The Gargoyles.
Speaker 2: Motel, yeah and apparently no longer. AROUND. I you, KNOW i might otherwise be inclined to say it's a tragedy that we lost such an iconic filming. Location but this place looks pretty rough in nineteen seventy, Two and according to this Roadside america, post apparently now it's a Registered New mexico historical, site not because of The gargoyles, movie but because of some archaeologic digs in the, area real, ones not gargoyle.
Speaker 3: Related so at the, motel they check in with the, Proprietor Missus. Parks she answers the door with a tall glass of. Liquor this is that, Character and she takes them to the, room and she keeps trying to Get Cornell wild to like come back and party with. Her and she also won't stop telling stories of grizzly car accidents she has.
Speaker 2: Witnessed, yes hers is a curious seduction. Style it does not quite work in this, film but apparently it has worked, before so who can?
Speaker 3: Falter AND i think this is sort of the end Of act. One they go to, bed so, HERE i guess we can zoom out and talk in some broader. Strokes the next, morning they sort of report what, happened or at least a partial version of what happened to the. Police mercer holds back the full gargoyle, ENCOUNTER i think because he hasn't gotten the gargoyle skull carbon dated.
Speaker 2: Yet mercer is, very very relaxed in all of, this, Like, okay there was a violent encounter with creatures and somebody, died And will he's out, There willi's out there in the desert. Dead let's go and get a good night's. Sleep let's make sure we get the car turned into to a. Mechanic we'll report this to the police in the.
Speaker 3: Morning, yeah and not tell them everything Because i'm a little fuzzy on exactly why they couldn't. Yet he's, LIKE i haven't fully done all the research, yet so.
Speaker 2: Yeah and we do continue to see this as a character, trait like at Times diana accuses him of being unfeeling and he's like, well this is like the maximum of what we can do right. Now like we we can come back later with more info and get more, done but right now this is all we can. Do and SO i, MEAN i WILL i would acknowledge that to a certain. Degree, YEAH i guess. So.
Speaker 3: Uh, anyway so the police go to investigate the scene of the fire and they find a gang of young motorcycle enthusiasts loitering around the crime. Scene their leader seems to Be Scott glenn played by Or Scott glenn playing this young guy Named James rieger who's a very very good looking bad boy on a. Motorcycle the bullies do not implicate the bikers in the, crime but the cops arrest them, anyway and the bullies do not reveal what they do know would that would make it clear that the bikers were not were not to.
Speaker 2: Blame and this shuld becomes no surprise to anyone who's watched any amount of biker in the. Media even though these guys are not really a motorcycle, club they're just as pointed, out they're just dirt. Bikers but, still bikers and cops do not like each, other and our natural, enemies and of, course the cops are going to arrest the bikers for anything they can get them.
Speaker 3: On, yeah the cops are just, like, yeah you know how these dirt bikers are, There they probably did. Something. Yeah so later that, night the bullies are back in their motel room at The Cactus motel and they are attacked by several. Gargoyles we get some great scenes of breakaway doors and and the motel attack that just kind of crumble like they're made out OF i don't, know gram.
Speaker 2: Crackers, yeah and it's not a siege sequence, either because the gargoyles are just right in, There like there's one in the. BATHROOM i don't know what that gargoyle is doing in the. Bathroom When mercer opens the, door it's like it's like the first stage of this attack is to rifle through his pills or. Something.
Speaker 3: Yeah they just kool aid man bust through the.
Speaker 2: Walls.
Speaker 3: Yeah but they're, there in fact to retrieve the gargoyle, skull which is. Interesting that means it seems these creatures must be intelligent and they are trying to cover up evidence of their. Existence but during this this attempt to retrieve the, skull one of the gargoyles gets hit by a truck and, killed And bully takes the body back with him and so and here we get to see like the different kinds of. Gargoyles they are like some gargoyles that are more lizard, men others that have more bird like, features kind of with.
Speaker 2: Beaks, yeah, YEAH i think this is of course fitting with the very designs of like actual architectural. Gargoyles but the main ones we see attacking here are, wingless which you, know we can interpret as being due to the fact that wings are extra work and maybe you don't have time to make wings for. Everybody but also maybe these are worker gargoyles or. Juveniles but, yeah there's a great deal of varied morphology, here and if you want to see some like better imagery behind the scenes imagery of the different masks and. Costumes The Stan Winston school has a great article About stan and his cohorts work on, gargoyles with lots of cool pictures and masks and, suits so look that up at Stan winston school dot.
Speaker 3: Com so there's a scene Where diana goes to the police station to get them to Release Scott glenn and his. Bros because you know they didn't do the, murder but the police will not release them. Yet and, again the bullies could tell the whole truth now because they've got a dead gargoyle boty is proof they've got it in their, Car BUT i Think bowley doesn't for some, reason still can't reveal. It he like doesn't want to get scooped on the discovery or.
Speaker 2: Something, yeah, yeah it's like he it's not that he doesn't want to help, people but he's very calculated in how he wants to roll everything.
Speaker 3: Out Look out for number, One.
Speaker 2: Yeah look out for number. One maybe make sure you have a good press release prepared, beforehand even if the bikers are just stewing in the jail.
Speaker 3: Cell BUT i like this is one of those movie jails where you can walk into the police station and then just walk up to the cells and like talk to the people in.
Speaker 2: Them, yeah it's Basically Desert.
Speaker 3: Mayberry, yeah So diana walks up to the biker is and kind kind of semi flirts With rigor here but talks to him about, Gargoyles and there's a good exchange Where Scott glenn, says so you and your old man you're not afraid of them gar. Things, Huh and she says gargoyles are a scientific fact and they're no more dangerous than a high school dropout on a. Motorcycle.
Speaker 2: YEAH i don't, Know. DIANA i feel like the Guard things by this point in the film have proven themselves to be rather shockingly, effective you, know tearing up the car and all. Like there is violent as a supernatural motorcycle. Gang BUT i think they obviously trump just the motorcycle dropout squad that she's referring.
Speaker 3: To, Yeah gargoyle's on wheels, Anyway so there's another gargoyle attack on the. Bullies this time the gargoyles take the body with, Them they take the professor's, books and they Kidnapped, diana taking her back to the gargoyle home base within a local cave, system which Is Carlsbad kenyon Or Kenyons, caverns isn't.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, YEAH i look this. Up the cave scenes were filmed In Carlsbad Caverns National. PARK i don't THINK i have actually been, there been To New mexico? Once have you been To? Carlsbad?
Speaker 3: No, NO i have been In New mexico but didn't make it to the.
Speaker 2: Caves. Yeah i've been to some other cave systems in this part of the, country but not. These but, yeah this is one of a number of pictures that were filmed, there, also including nineteen Fifties King Solomon's, minds fifty One's Unknown, world fifty Eight's The, spider fifty Nine's journey to The center of The, earth seventy Three's John Livingston, seagull and seventy four Is The Bat, people which we already. REFERENCED i Believe Stan winston worked on that one as.
Speaker 3: Well so from here the movie finally starts to arrive at its core, proposition which is a gargoyle hunt featuring, yes of course, cops but also. Bikers So Cornell, WILDE i forget how he somehow convinces the cops to release the bikers from jail and they team up to help find the gargoyles layer and Save. Diana this is after the second attack, there SO i guess the cops have been convinced. Somehow, also Missus, parks the alcoholic lady at the, motel and the local mechanic drive away in a pickup truck to get help from out of. Town but later the posse finds the truck, wrecked smeared with, blood and they come across Missus parks's body hanging upside down from a telephone, pole which is a very creepy shot in, concept but a little bit less so in. Execution AND i think she should have still had the rumglass in her.
Speaker 2: HAND i think. SO i think maybe downing the last of it would have been like the last act that she committed before.
Speaker 3: Passing, anyways the posse hunts the gargoyle. Cave we get some action scenes of cops and bikers fighting gargoyle warriors and the scrub. Desert the gargoyles can, fly but they are not, invincible so it's a you, know it's a tough, fight but a somewhat fair. Fight, meanwhile as all this is going, on we also follow what happens To diana in the gargoyle. Cave while none of the gargoyles that we see earlier in the movie ever, Speak diana is taken to the leader of The, gargoyles who has quite a lot to, say and this Is Bernie casey in the, suit but again dubbed By Vic, parrien the voice from the outer. Limits so he explains that the history that we learned at the, beginning The gargoyles keep popping up in human history every six hundred years or so to try to destroy humankind and take over the, world but the humans keep beating them each, time after which they go into another six hundred year. Incubation but this time it will be. Different The gargoyles will really they're going to defeat us this, time and the gargoyle leader Makes diana read aloud to him From Doctor bowley's books because he's, LIKE i find your voice pleasing. Now the head gargoyle is clearly interested In. Diana he is attracted to, her though for some, reason they pause to make it explicit that the gargoyles do not need humans in order to. Reproduce in, fact they've got huge chambers full of more gargoyle eggs already, incubating and WHAT i thought was kind of a strange and interesting. Choice it is The King gargoyle's attraction To diana that ultimately helps the humans win at the end of the, movie because it seems that The Queen gargoyle sort of the his gargoyle wife becomes jealous of this and, causes and this causes The Queen gargoyle to help lead Doctor bowley to the rescue.
Speaker 2: Later, yeap that seems to be how it plays. Out maybe it's the soap opera writing credentials of the writing, team but that seems to be how it plays, out which isn't you? KNOW i, MEAN i guess on one, hand, yeah monster kidnapping the girl is just a standard monster movie trope and they felt like they needed to employ, that and so maybe they're adding just a little soap opera nuance to all of. That but it does seem like The gargoyle mission here has gone rather off. Track like you only get to do this every six hundred, years, guys you need to pull it together beyond target because during those six hundred years you have fallen behind in technology a. Lot, yes you, know whether you realize it or, not things are going to be different this, time and don't count too much on next. Time it could be, harder maybe it'll be, easy but the six hundred years is a long, time that's.
Speaker 3: TRUE i, MEAN i feel like the jealousy is a weird thing because it makes the gargoyles seem more, human which also makes the ending less palatable where the ending. Is it's very ripley in aliens Like Scott glin And Cornell wilde go into the cave and they're, like we got to destroy this, whole all the, eggs you, know burn them all. Up but like the jealousy thing has made it seem, like, oh these are not just like, weapons not just like destruction. Machines they kind of are people in a, sense like they might want to destroy, us but they are they feel kind of.
Speaker 2: Human, now, yeah we see like hatchling gargoyles as, well so, like, yeah you end up feeling for them quite a. Bit and you, know, granted The gargoyles have discussed wiping out all humans and you, know we obviously can't get on board with that, constat but the humans also seem to to be very much in favor of wiping out the, gargle so you, know we're in a bit of a standoff.
Speaker 3: Here well, yeah but the show of sort of betrayal of The King gargoyle by The Queen gargoyle suggests there could be differences of opinion within The gargoyle, people like what if instead we just depose The King gargoyle and empower some one of the gargoyles that wants to live in harmony with.
Speaker 2: Humans it seems very, possible, RIGHT i, mean gargoyles probably have a lot to teach. Us we have stuff to teach them they're interested, in so why.
Speaker 3: Not, anyway so we get a final confrontation where Doctor bully has led to the gargoyle, leader who wants to Carry diana away with. Him as they're, ESCAPING i think maybe some MORE i don't, know maybe some more people are. Arriving oh oh, WAIT i almost forgot to Mention Scott glenn blows himself up in order to destroy the eggs in one. Room Scott glenn is already that dedicated to the destruction of gargoyle.
Speaker 2: Kind you, know he may have been no good biker, kid but he just needed a cause to get. Behind and here is.
Speaker 3: So, anyway AS i, said the gargoyle main gargoyle wants to fly away With, diana But Doctor bowley comes up with a solution to this. Problem he bashes the Gargoyle queen's wing with a rock so she can no longer. Fly so if the gargoyle king wants to escape with, her he has to carry, her meaning he cannot also Carry, diana so he has to Leave diana. Behind and he has a line he, says how clever you. Are your choice has allowed you and your daughter to. Survive it also allows me and my kind to, survive perhaps at the price of your supremacy On. Earth one, day and he flies, away and that's the ending we'd like, see and they show him. Flying we get a kind of slow mo flyaway.
Speaker 2: Shot looks pretty good. TOO i have to, say all things, considered you, know, OKAY tv movie, budget it could have looked a lot flappier and on the, wire BUT i thought it looked pretty. Good but, yeah our heroes end up sort of taking the high, road but most out of self interest and after like getting in a cheap shot against the very female gargoyle who put her own species ascension aside to help them. Out, yeah, so you, know mixed.
Speaker 3: Feelings it's unclear to me exactly how conscious the film is of the moral ambiguity of its, heroes especially Of Cornell wilde's. Character BUT i don't. KNOW i don't know if this was an attempt to create a kind of morally gray protagonist who uses a lot of dirty tricks and often acts in self interest or if that or if that was just kind of like going over their. Heads there's not a lot of acknowledgment of.
Speaker 2: It, yeah it's hard to tell if this is something that was diluted in the execution of the film and maybe more prevalent in the, script or is this something an energy that kind of emerges out of the filmmaking. Process but, yeah you can imagine if someone were to remake, this like imagine The Rob zombie remake of Gard Rob zombie would get in, there he would explore these.
Speaker 3: Themes Sid haig as Doctor Mercer, Bowley Sherry Moon zombie As Diana.
Speaker 2: Bowley, yeah, yeah OR i think now this should Be zombie's next, film like get her in that she can play The Queen. Gargoyle, okay, yeah and who else is he fond of casting these? Days, Oh Richard. Brake Richard brake is The King. Gargoyle that's that's somebody That zombie cast a. Lot not as tall as A Bernie, casey but you, know good monster makeup.
Speaker 3: Guy oh, okay, well, anyway That's.
Speaker 2: Gargoyle's, yeah it's a fun. ONE i, mean you can really see. WHY i read subsequently was reading some other like little reviews on letterboxed and you know a lot of people were saying things about how when they were, kids this movie resonated with, them you, know, Yeah and you can totally get that with these these fun monster. Suits and also the kind of subversive nature that it might feel like it has if you're a kid just watching stuff on, television like what is? Gargoyles like it's, again it's it's weirder than it probably has any right to.
Speaker 3: Be CAN i offer another thing that is interesting about television as a venue for horror movies compared to the. CINEMA i don't know this for sure about historical practices and movie, theaters BUT i bet it was hard for little kids to get into a movie theater to see like AN r rated horror, movie or maybe NOT r rated at the, time but a mature horror movie in the theaters in the. Seventies but you know who controls what kids are watching ON tv in the? Home, Parents maybe they're not even in the, room so the kid turns this. On that might be a different kind of reception thing about the medium as, Well like it's easier for kids to tune into a horror movie that they are not technically mature enough for when it's shown ON.
Speaker 2: Tv, yeah, yeah because especially at the, time it's like it's, implied, well if it's on network, television they should be able to handle.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah so that kind of changes the way the horror work as, well because it's like a different audience and different. Setting, anyway the made FOR tv nous it really is strong. Here it is part of what this film is for good and for.
Speaker 2: Ill all, Right, well we'd love to hear from everyone out. There do you HAVE i know a number of you do have thoughts About, Gargoyles so write in and tell us what your connection is to this. Movie what do you think about some of the themes we've discussed. Here, likewise any other gargoyle related media out? There were you a big fan of the Animated gargoyles series and have thoughts on? That right, in we'd love to hear from. You. Do joe AND i need to watch the twenty fourteen FILM I, frankenstein in Which frankenstein's monster Battles. Gargoyles, maybe so make a case for it or anything else we may be missing out. There it's all fair.
Speaker 3: Game huge thanks as always to our excellent audio, PRODUCER Jj. Posway if you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any, other to suggest a topic for the, future or just to say, hello you can email us at contact stuff To blow Your mind dot.
Speaker 1: Com stuff To Blow Your mind is production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts from My Heart, radio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite. Shows