Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and.
Speaker 2: The official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: At now here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And at this time for a fabulous Football Friday edition of mix Shots.
Speaker 4: It's here, it is, it is here.
Speaker 3: It's high noon on a Friday, and let's get your weather report for you. Ah, you know that it feels like we live in Phoenix.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't matter because they're not really practiced.
Speaker 3: This feels this is what it feels like in Phoenix every summer. We're in Dallas. Complained about the heat right now one hundred degree. He's here in Frisco with a high of one o seven a day. He's going to be cooler than yesterday. It was one hundred and eight yesterday, I think it was one hundred and ten when I left here. It was really my car said it anyway, Well your car really says it. Yeah, yeah, all right, and so uh and this is a regeneration Friday here for the team. Team not out on the practice field that will work out tomorrow before getting on that big jet.
Speaker 2: Plane regenerationgen day. You came up with that.
Speaker 1: No, no, Mike, Yeah, that's that's a McCarthyism.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know what, since it is a Friday, we need to go back in time and get you really fired up for Dallas.
Speaker 2: Way to keep it under wrap.
Speaker 1: It should have reminded me out and brought my cowboy Joe hat.
Speaker 3: It'll be a Friday tradition for you, all right, cowboys.
Speaker 4: Remember that, all right?
Speaker 1: And you know this is a big one coming up, because as I was walking over to my desk, I saw a trail of the NBC crew walking through the building.
Speaker 4: So they have made their way from.
Speaker 3: Kansas City last night right to Dallas before they head to New York. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why did they stop.
Speaker 1: Here to talk to the coach players?
Speaker 3: They decided since they basically were in this part of the country, probably that Okay, we'll go down from Kansas City on Friday morning, get our interviews done and in Dallas, and then we'll head to New York and talk to the giants tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And you can do a lot when you have your own come here for the free food, your own players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, free food, yeah, hospitality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. And speaking of last night the Detroit Lions where they win over the Kansas City Chiefs, and I immediately put my research cap on, and I think I have figured out that this is the first time in the history of football that the Detroit Lions have a better record than any other team in the Nashville.
Speaker 5: Football history of football, in the history of history of.
Speaker 3: Football, going back to it, pretty good way they were and they won championships, but I'm talking about regular season records. At any point during a regular season. I'm pretty sure that they won like four championships, and the last one being in nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 1: Don't you think Milt Plumb won a season opener once?
Speaker 3: But the other teams played that day, Yeah, and so it was they were tied for the best record.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 3: But this, I think is the first time by themselves since they were the Plymouth Spartans in nineteen thirty that the Detroit Lions have a better record than every team in the National Football League.
Speaker 4: I spent about, wait, what what was the name?
Speaker 3: What was the other I think they were the Plymouth spide Mouths Buttons for four years before they became the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 1: Alex Carris never Maybe they've finished their noon game faster than anybody else, right, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe a.
Speaker 3: Couple of minutes they might have had the best record, but at the end of a day, they had the better better record than any team. And then there you go, Detroit that they can enjoy it for another eight hours.
Speaker 4: Never played on a Thursday. Well I even looked.
Speaker 3: Did I even looked on Sundays to make sure, okay, did they play.
Speaker 6: On and if the season end of the day, they would be in the playoffs with home field advantage.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, man, all the way through. That's right.
Speaker 3: And I mean we could spend a lot of time. We're not going to, but we can spend a lot of time just talking about what happened in that game and some of the decisions Kelsey is for that team, and.
Speaker 1: We've but there are injuries in this league that happens, and sometimes the quarterback can't put the team on his shoulder, can't.
Speaker 2: He passes inception it happened.
Speaker 4: You know, there's my gout in the stats. He's got one interception.
Speaker 3: That there's a reason the Cowboys aren't facing Kadarius Tony in the New York that's right on Sunday night, because the Giants realized realized the first round of the state from the Michael Parsons can't.
Speaker 2: Give him the second drop?
Speaker 4: Guys, what about the third, the third?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 5: Wait that there was at least three well the one way he got thrown behind them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: But now the.
Speaker 5: Interception, Chris was you know, very clear about you know, that was a perfect path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love how you three times? You know, he perfect.
Speaker 3: Ever he is in the building, he just told.
Speaker 5: Us that that's my classmate, that's in my class and you know.
Speaker 3: Mix shots is reverberating throughout the entire star Chris right now, Chris.
Speaker 2: Wasn't past Chris, Oh my god, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wasn't past?
Speaker 2: He said like three times.
Speaker 1: They might be coming Chris on a tour here.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be funny?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he coming here.
Speaker 7: Collins Worthy, Class War Baby, Class of one.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: So what kind of reaction would there be on Sunday night if, on the second drive of the game, Mike McCarthy goes with a fake punt from his own seventeen yard line on.
Speaker 4: The road crazy, as long as it works.
Speaker 1: If it works right, Bill Parcells, what whatever you do, if it works, it's right.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I get uh that everyone respects, you know, good quarterbacks and the talent that they have, like a Rogers. We'll always put Rogers and Mahomes up there above everyone else. I'm going to steal. I don't care what the situation is. Yes, we're going to punt it away, okay at midfield?
Speaker 2: Do we go for it? On fourth down? Do we punt? I'm going to punt the ball that quarterback.
Speaker 4: And you're talking at the end of the game, Yes, sir, Yes, I.
Speaker 5: Don't care who that person is. You're going to show me that you're going to drive that ball.
Speaker 2: Look to the field. You got to show me that you're going to drive.
Speaker 3: For a Harrison butker Field, I just can't.
Speaker 5: I don't care who it is, who the quarterback is, You're going to have to show me that you can drive that ball eighty yards plus.
Speaker 4: He's lucky.
Speaker 1: He's lucky to live to be able to talk about it the game because that was just ridiculous. Yea, and he got away with it because what did they do? They turned the ball?
Speaker 3: Well, then Kansas City. He then had the holding, I mean a false start and a hole right and yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Andy Reid goes for it with the fourth and twenty, fourth.
Speaker 3: And twenty five and then get pushed back at fourth and twenty and then gets pushed back another five yards with a false start and it's fourth and twenty five and goes from it from his own end of the field.
Speaker 1: They had well, I guess they could have punted because they they had three timeouts.
Speaker 3: Left in it to warning and three timeouts should Yeah, but that showed he didn't know faith in his defense.
Speaker 5: That scramble that left with one less time one less time out because he scrambled before the two minute warning. It was if it was a regular drop back pass and he would throw it on time and there would have been two minutes plus left in the game.
Speaker 3: If regular passing and another drop yeah.
Speaker 1: Then well they they must not have analytics over there.
Speaker 3: You know what my analytics said. After the Chiefs punted and gave the Lions the ball, uh with they still had three timeouts left. My analytics said, let them score by one. You let them score and you're likely down eight, Okay, and you and Mahomes gets the football again. Now what would have happened. The Lions would have gone down and sat on at the one yard.
Speaker 5: There are times when it's not just about the quarterback because during that drive you got a holding penalty. It is it's not just about we gotta worried about my home. Well, now you have to worry about that offensive lineman because the guy made a good move inside the defensive end made a good move inside.
Speaker 2: Holding call. Now we got a whole different ball.
Speaker 1: Couldn't come from behind to win a game.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Kansas City Chiefs do you think they You know, a couple of years ago they solved their offensive line problems. They got Orlando Brown. And how do you like those tackles they've got?
Speaker 1: They got the cast off from Tampa Bay right trek in Jacksonville, the right tackle who was lined up as a wing back all night and fall starting all night. Finally, I can't believe they let him get away with that. Even the guy whoever's the referee and said he hits Now, you can't do that. It's like, well, you know who else like Williams Williams the last Yeah, yeah, I was just going to bring that up that's what he did and rocking his foot, and they let him get away.
Speaker 2: With the entire game, yes, entire playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yes. So they signed Donovan Smith to play left tackle and he had the hold on the last possession for Kansas City and Jowan Taylor. They gave him four years, eighty million dollars sixty million guaranteed, and he was the right tackle last night. And I think it's going to be an ongoing problem for the Chiefs all year long. It just goes to show, as we circle back to the Cowboys, how important it is and how difficult it is to find offensive tackles.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's crazy, and I'm speaking of I'm speaking of.
Speaker 1: We can go right there, right right, yes.
Speaker 2: Something.
Speaker 3: So we had a practice report from yesterday, a injury report that Tyrone Smith has an ankle.
Speaker 1: Rolled his ankle and left practice early.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 1: I think McCarthy pointed out it was during individual drills too, so it was hot out there. I was you never know about.
Speaker 2: I was hoping to never hear his name this offseason.
Speaker 1: You never know about veteran injuries when it's hot out there. I don't know if you ever, So you think.
Speaker 4: There's a possibility.
Speaker 3: It was a veteran move.
Speaker 2: To deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of hard, but anyway, so.
Speaker 4: Hopefully you're wishful thinking.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's like if we could have thought of the worst thing to happen on the last full practice.
Speaker 3: Kind of like Kansas City, the worst thing that could happen on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although their tight ends weren't all that ball or Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yes, the touchdown wasn't another guy.
Speaker 4: He was a quarterback, by the way.
Speaker 3: By the way, he was a quarterback coming out of Wichita, Kansas. He was a the sixth ranked pro style quarterback in the country coming out of high school. And Patrick Mahomes was the twelfth ranked goal threat quarterback coming out of high school. So there's your recruit.
Speaker 2: For you as a quarterback, and they were just putting me in for.
Speaker 3: Well, they run on the goal line the belldozer package right anyway, So it didn't work so well for him last night.
Speaker 1: He ate it off and so the worst thing could happen Number one was Tyler Smith strain a hamstring or have a tight hamstring because you're thinking, well, okay, he's your safety valves safety fell tackle of something happens at tackle and something happened to tackle.
Speaker 2: And we talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 4: Right, you know what?
Speaker 1: And I always say that if you have a weakness, or you create a weakness because you think you have a strength and you say, Okay, I'm gonna trade one of these guys away, it inevitably you get an injury at that spot. And not only do they get one, they get two. Because we've been talking about the lack of depth on that offensive.
Speaker 3: Line, they've actually had three Dogo.
Speaker 1: And he has just got back, right, And I don't know if that's a good thing or not. We'll find out here because he's gonna have to do one of the two. I think I think one of the two will get back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Jerry kind of put it that he goes.
Speaker 3: He was on the radio this morning, right.
Speaker 1: He said, they are suspect Tyler a little bit more than Tyron. Will wait to see until game day. You never know until we see it. So McCarthy said they would wait till Saturday to or at least check Saturday when they have their last practice to see where both of them are, and then I would think they take it up until you know, hey, you get an extra couple hours it's a night game, right, and kind of work.
Speaker 4: Them out before the game and see where you're at now.
Speaker 1: I watched Tyler Smith do his rehab with Britt Brown yesterday and I think I told you guys that you know, he was he was doing the cords and he was moving pretty well. He didn't seem like he was struggling, and he was doing lunges and it's very hard to do lunges when you've got a hamstring, so I thought that was encouraging. We'll see now for Tyron. You know, Jerry got asked about, well, did you figure he was going to get hurt? He always seems to get hurt. And Jerry's answer was, I'd rather have him as a starter and back him up, but not have him on the roster. So and he's right, and I agree with him. You'd rather have take I'll take Tyron Smith for twelve thirteen games before somebody else out there other than and Tyler Smith, now that you have that option, But to have them both on your starting offensive line, I think is huge.
Speaker 3: And so that will be something we will monitor all the way up to game time on Sunday night. Otherwise, anything else from.
Speaker 1: Sam Williams practiced okay, and they've listened to him as limited, which was better than the first day when he did not practice on Wednesday. So it looked like the way he was moving around that he should be able to go and assume his rotation in the pass rush at defensive end.
Speaker 3: And when we come back here on mix shots, there is much to get to as we look forward to the game on Sunday night. We got our picks to click at the end of the show our predictions. I may hold you to a season prediction as well, since we're kicking off this season and there's a reason for Dak Prescott to smile when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the fresh guy who looks white. It's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll run full a French down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this in shelf run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 8: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, no topping of school Pepsi finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag. Brisky than the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest spool Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football take Slack, Middle Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three miliberual company fort Worth, Texas, Demit.
Speaker 1: Shuts k Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. And I saw one of their trucks.
Speaker 3: The other all right, I see them all over ten They're legitimate, Yes they are. Yep, the trucks are legitimate. Yeah, Okay. News around the league yesterday Joe Burrow signed to the richest contract going now two hundred and seventy five million dollars, a five year, two hundred and seventy five million dollar extension. And Mickey, you're big on guaranteed money and two hundred and twenty one twenty one I brought something like that, all right to nineteen to nineteen guaranteed, don't hip.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just just that like is that like so two seventy five over five?
Speaker 3: Is that like fifty five minute averages? Fifty five million a year on the Okay, let's just dream a little. Let's say the Cowboys reached their goal this year. Let's say the Cowboys win the Super Bowl. Dak Prescott's going into the last year of his contract next.
Speaker 1: Year at a mere fifty nine million dollars cap hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was a four year, one hundred and sixty million dollars deal. So all right, he wants imagine, doesn't he Well, he'll be due for a raise going into the final year of his contract, right, can you imagine?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So there the bar was just set right there. That's what's at stake the next six months.
Speaker 5: I mean, just not just him, but whoever had is going into the last year of the contract.
Speaker 3: And then earlier this week Parsons the Nick Bosa.
Speaker 2: Where his contract was well, he's he's doue.
Speaker 1: So Erry this morning to pick up his fifty year Parsons for sure.
Speaker 3: So Jerry asked this morning about the possibility of a contract extension for Dak before the end of twenty twenty three because the quarterback market is escalating as it is, and Jerry Marks said he would have to accept ours.
Speaker 4: We fit the age of the escalators.
Speaker 3: And Jerry said he would have to cut four players to give Dak a contract.
Speaker 4: Before the end of the year, and he does.
Speaker 3: Not want to do that. I want to use those players this year to win.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Oh, they meant an extension right now.
Speaker 3: Like during the season now, okay, all right, yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah, four significant players too.
Speaker 1: We're not talking to the bottom of fifty three, fifty two, fifty one, and fifty.
Speaker 3: You know, if the Cowboys reached their goal of winning the Super Bowl gladly paid, you know, Jerry would be.
Speaker 1: He'd drive the Brinks truck backs house. I guarantee you that.
Speaker 3: All right, Looking ahead to this game against the Giants, what is it that concerns you the most?
Speaker 1: How they put together that offensive line?
Speaker 2: Mm hm, that's it?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: After hearing Johns running game, okay, yeah, all right, so what did you take because we had the Giants insider, right John schmelch One at the end of the show yesterday, after hearing what he had to say about what the Giants have going for them offensively and defensively.
Speaker 3: What is it that what area do you think the Cowboys might be able to take advantage of?
Speaker 5: We talked about yesterday young dbun corner.
Speaker 3: Back, two rookie cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: And one wasn't expected to be a starter.
Speaker 2: So and you know, we know what that matchup is. It won't be CD, it would be Michael Gallup.
Speaker 5: And so I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but yeah, looking forward to that being a good matchup and if anything, the Giants should be concerned about that, But I think the Cowboys should look at that as an advantage.
Speaker 3: And when you look at what the facts we talked about throughout the week, what the Giants have on their defensive front, not only with Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams up front, but they spent some decent amount of money in the off season to fortify their defensive line with A'shawn Robinson and rakeem Nunia's roach as some guy named Roaches who just appeared on the depth Charte mysteriously during and with Bobby o'care key as well at linebacker. Uh, that's that's a big improvement over where they were at linebacker at the end of last season. Ability to run the football for the Cowboys, maybe less so than the football again, that's our.
Speaker 5: New identity, right, Well, I don't know you never believe that. No, Oh, so that McCarthy's been lying to the public this and time.
Speaker 1: He explained it this morning on his radio segment, and he said when he said that it was in reference to the twenty twenty season that they didn't run the football enough because they had Zeke and they had Tony Pollard. He said, but in twenty one and twenty two we did run the football more so it wasn't like And he's right because last year, look at the numbers. Last year they ran the ball.
Speaker 3: Make he's reaching for the media guide.
Speaker 2: With his short arms. I had to help him.
Speaker 3: Do you want me to give you a status?
Speaker 1: I could play guard?
Speaker 4: Do you want the teams?
Speaker 1: The individual I'm going to tell you what they did last year total runs? Okay, they ended up running the ball five hundred and thirty one times. Am I right?
Speaker 3: That sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: The last time they ran the ball five hundred times in the season was twenty fourteen, and it was a good year it was, and the last time before that was five point twenty one in two thousand and five because they had problems at the quarterback position as a matter of fact, So if you look at it what they did five thirty one, that that's the most running attempts that they've had since forever. Five point fifty and ninety four.
Speaker 3: Cowboys were ninth in the league and rushing offense last year. They were fourteenth and passing offense last year. Yeah, So this thing about Pollard carried one hundred and ninety three times for one thousand seven yards, five point two yards of carry and nine touchdowns. Zeke had two hundred and thirty one carries for eight hundred and seventy six yards and twelve touchdowns, which.
Speaker 1: You have to replace.
Speaker 2: You talk about numbers, but so to me, you start trying.
Speaker 1: What he's here, What he's trying to talk about is when you run the ball and how efficiently you run the ball, not that has to be more carried.
Speaker 5: The point right, when my thing is the point, the question could still be a valid question because it depends on, as you just said, when you run the ball. Right, there may be some games I can't recall all the games. There may be games where we were blowing them out. So yeah, we're going to run the ball a whole lot more. You know, we don't do unnecessary passes.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it's there are moments when we need to run the ball better. Well I don't just mean that we just ran the ball. Well, there are moments we need to be that pile of team.
Speaker 1: The loss to San Francisco clouded everything cause what were they at the eighteen yard line, second down and two maybe and they threw the interception when you were thinking, okay, just run the ball, milk the clock and move the chains. Right, that game clouded the whole perception of last season because they only scored what twelve points after they were averaging almost twenty eight points a game, and that five starts with Cooper Rush added into that. So that offense was very good last year. Now again it wasn't good, and it was good in the first round of the playoffs, right, they scored thirty one should have been thirty five if you make four extra points, but they scored twelve against San Francisco. So now, well, the offense is struggling.
Speaker 4: Well, it struggled in that game.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I think there's different ways to run the ball too, right, you don't on third and two. You don't have to plow up in the middle. If you don't have somebody that can do that. Uh, there's ways to use your speed to the outside, or put too offensive line or defensive lineman behind the running back and push them. I mean that's what Philadelphia does, right. They still need to change that rule. That's the dumbest thing that they've got going in the NFL.
Speaker 3: He's talking about the quarterback sneak. That's the most dangerous play in football.
Speaker 4: Don't you make it like rugby?
Speaker 3: That's right, right, this is football. Want to be somebody at the bottom of a pile with all that those three hundred pounders falling on somebody's neck and it's going to be not a good scene.
Speaker 1: And they will then change the rule back to I think the way it used to be, because I don't think you were allowed to be pushing from by. Could you push from behind when you were playing.
Speaker 5: I don't recall that even being part of it, right, I thought you had to be Australian or something.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so yeah, you know, you want to keep that defense. Honest, So running the ball enough, but still you got you know, while he says that out of one side of his mouth, the other side of his mouth is you got to have big plays, and we didn't have enough big plays last year.
Speaker 5: I think we need it. We can't run the ball. Of course we have run the ball, but there are times when we need to rely more on the run than the past. We've never done that. To me, I think that should be. You know, I think we should be run first.
Speaker 1: I think there's nothing changed.
Speaker 5: Well, you see how Detroit came out. They came out run first. Sometimes you got to get back to the basics.
Speaker 3: Man, what was you know, what was San Francisco against Dallas last year or San Francisco all year? They're basically a run first team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have when you don't have a quarterbacks right when they've got Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Why not do it when you do have a quarterbacks? That makes it even better?
Speaker 5: And I thought that's what they were working for this offseason, was to have a great running game.
Speaker 2: Improve the running game.
Speaker 5: Of course, the passing game you want to be better without the interceptions. But that same consistency you've had with him for years besides last year.
Speaker 2: What you want? What did you got?
Speaker 3: Twenty sixteen? That was a good year for the Cowboys, your rushing rush versus pass year.
Speaker 1: So they ran the ball four hundred and ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Times and for how many yards?
Speaker 1: Two three hundred and ninety six.
Speaker 3: Okay, where they do passing?
Speaker 1: Passing in twenty sixteen six thousand, twenty seven yards?
Speaker 3: How many attempts there?
Speaker 1: One thousand and ten, So they were almost two and a half to one passover. And that was I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: They didn't throw the ball one thousand and ten times.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was I'm sorry, that was net offensive place. Sorry they threw the ball three thousand and six hundred and no, wait, where's passing? Oh attempts four hundred and eighty three.
Speaker 3: Four eighty three attempts versus four ninety nine. So there were more fifty Now that didn't include Saxon there they were protected.
Speaker 1: But you're protecting.
Speaker 3: Your you're basically a fifty fifth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and let's be real and I god go ahead.
Speaker 3: But that's your point. And what I remember from the twenty sixteen season was the mix of the run and the pass. And there were so many times that season where they started the game with a seventy five yard drive for a touchdown, and it was an that's right.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then and Dak only threw four picks that year.
Speaker 5: And you look at you look at the pass is also that would throwing two the running backs running backs had Zeke was a much better receiver then than he is now for some reason. He I remember him taking it to the house against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 3: But okay, compare the offensive line. What did I say twenty sixteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was our culture then, that was our We don't have that. And they told me to get out.
Speaker 4: Of the pass.
Speaker 2: So now you brought that up, So Nate, don't get back. You brought that up. I'm getting out of the path.
Speaker 1: How about this? In twenty fourteen, they ran the ball five hundred and eight times.
Speaker 2: That was Murray's that's right, that's right. See, that's the culture. That's when we started.
Speaker 1: They threw the ball four hundred and seventy six with Tony Romo at quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Okay, come on, what was the mix last year? Run versus pass again?
Speaker 1: So attempts you rushing attempts were five hundred and thirty one and they threw the ball five hundred and fifty six, so a lot more passing.
Speaker 3: But not a lot more other more seventeen games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was pretty and you got to figure five of those games they were protecting Cooper Rush. They didn't want him throwing the ball thirty some times a game, right, so that it was pretty even.
Speaker 3: It's pretty similar to what they were doing in twenty sixteen, in twenty four.
Speaker 4: And probably what they would like to.
Speaker 3: Do when you base it on a sixteen.
Speaker 5: And once again, I think those are attempts, right, those are attempts.
Speaker 1: But you've got running backs now that you can throw a long short pass. It's not a run, but with the speed they have, they got to take advantage of that.
Speaker 5: Well once again, Zeke was doing that back in twenty sixteen, right, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: Right, We've got our picks to click and our predictions when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff? Tailgate's going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings. Swager Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Cook, the America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 6: I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 4: Snapper the preshcout who looks white. It's not there. He escape slip. He'll look full a firs stole.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 6: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 8: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: To mixed shots. Experience the feeling of game day every day at Miller Lighthouse at the Star, now open just steps from Tostitos Championship plaiz A. Miller Lighthouse features a cooler full of grabbing go beverages and snacks, tailgate games, a recharging lounges, Dallas Cowboys photo ops, and complimentary concierge services. For more info, visit The Star in Frisco dot com, Slash Miller.
Speaker 3: Lighthouse and Miller Lite presents this edition of mix Shots. And we've got an update an update from the Mike McCarthy conference call just moments ago with reporters left tackle Tyron Smith and left guard Tyler Smith. We're both part of the mock game this morning. Both are scheduled to be limited tomorrow. We're making progress, as coach mccarth.
Speaker 1: You go, and I understand, mock game means a walkthrough practice.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Was it like they were?
Speaker 1: They weren't They were faking the game, right, making a mockery of it.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, there's one team in the league this year that might make a mockery of the league of the game this year, and I won't mention who that team is.
Speaker 1: We're not going to pick pick on the Cowboys third opponent of.
Speaker 3: And but it's going to be an exciting weekend, and not only with the NFL games on Sunday and Monday night, but also with the college games. There's some great matchups on Saturday as well. Ever since Grambling team baton Rouge, right.
Speaker 4: Have they played l s U before?
Speaker 2: No, never ls.
Speaker 1: You don't want that game right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't mean anything the l s U.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a game for a dangerous game for l s U.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Especially in state.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 5: It's just they're going to have fun with us and you know, play with their food. You know, that's how they play with their how they do with the big schools versus small.
Speaker 2: Unless you need to win, well, they'll get it.
Speaker 3: They have a whole off the season over.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say it to my grandmother Tigers, but you know this is just between us three, you know.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got our picks to click. Let's start with our pod pic of the week, and the question is who will score the first touchdown for the Cowboys? What do you think, Everson?
Speaker 5: I already know we're going to take advantage of that matchup on that cornerback position and Michael Gallup will score the first touchdown for the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey, who's going to score the first touchdown for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take Ceedee lamb.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you I will take Jake Ferguson with the first for the Dallas Cowboys. Against the New York Giants.
Speaker 1: All right, and which way, by the way, since you pointed that out when we were talking about short yardage, use the tight ends, right, You don't have to bang your head against the wall. Just slip a tight end out into the flat. There's ways to do it.
Speaker 5: How much we're good in the red, Gallup is going to catch a fast Just so you know, Gallup is going to catch a fade out for a test.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a fade for a tape back shoulder, back shoulder, Now up high, up, high, up high.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what Gallap.
Speaker 3: Does working against the one of the rookie corners.
Speaker 1: Let's see what kind of size.
Speaker 5: That I remember when being a rookie corner, and when they see a rookie corner, and not just me, when you see a rookie corner out there, you it's just automatic. You're going to game plan a rookie corner back. I don't care who how good he is.
Speaker 3: They've got good size. Banks is six two to two o five. He was their first round pick, number twenty four overall, the sixth rounder Trey Hawkins.
Speaker 1: I've got even sick two and a Dori Jackson's five eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the slot guy, so they're not the veteran, the former first round draft pick himself, who, as John Schmelt told us yesterday, they anticipate that adri Jackson will be following CD Lamb.
Speaker 1: As CD said, bring it on.
Speaker 3: Okay, time for our picks for this game. You're gonna do the picks for this game and then the picks for the season.
Speaker 1: That sounds proper.
Speaker 3: We got okay, picks for this game. Who Everson are you picking to win? And who are you picking to click?
Speaker 5: Cowboys to win. I look at Dak Prescott having the good game. The running game is really going to have some problems. We are going to be once again as creative as possible in our protection, and we got to get the ball out quick.
Speaker 2: We have to get the ball out quick. I'm looking at Dak having round.
Speaker 5: Two fifty at least two touchdowns, and the Cowboys are going to win a tight one. This is gonna be a tough game, guys. Cowboys win a tight one. It won't be a bunch of scoring. I'm looking at Cowboys twenty four to twenty one.
Speaker 3: And you're pick to click again for the record. Just for the Dak Prescott Dak Okay twenty four to twenty one, Everson make you want to go next.
Speaker 1: I'll go next. And I'm gonna go off of some history from last year when the Cowboys sacked Daniel Jones eight times in two games, and three of those belong to one Micah Parsons, and I will take him as my pick to click.
Speaker 3: And by the way, that means you cannot use him again this season. You can only use Michael one.
Speaker 4: What's that? Did you like? The knockout game?
Speaker 1: Knock knockout, knockout.
Speaker 3: By the way, my knockout pick is Washington over Arizona. I'm gonna pick Washington for one of my knock I have to do it with CBS eleven, and so since they're playing in Arizona, they're my knockout.
Speaker 1: And by the way, after watching a Football Life the other night of Michael Parsons and I saw they had a bunch of his high school highlights. I'm handing him the ball.
Speaker 4: It was like.
Speaker 3: Playing there's another option on the goal line.
Speaker 1: That was like playing with junior high kids against he was circling around.
Speaker 4: I saw that video.
Speaker 3: I saw that video and it and for people who aren't old enough to know what Earl Campbell looked like. Yes, that was Earl Campbell.
Speaker 1: Yes against those high school kids.
Speaker 3: That Earl Campbell will look the same against college kids.
Speaker 1: He was doubling back, circling around, and he wouldn't stop until he got to the end zone. It was. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Micah, the second coming of Earl Campbell.
Speaker 1: And he still wants a carry for sure. And now I know why Penn State was going to use him as a kickoff returner if he had played that last year.
Speaker 3: By the way, Earl Campbell's brothers played defensive end and the only reason they didn't play running back is Earl was a running back.
Speaker 4: John, I'm dem Campbell.
Speaker 1: And I had another brother, know so that was my pick to click?
Speaker 3: Is Micah and your score.
Speaker 1: I got a score Cowboys twenty seven to.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty seven, twenty and I am going with a Cowboys victory thirty to twenty seven and it will be.
Speaker 1: Oh no, i's too, mister drama here. I know what's coming.
Speaker 3: And my pick to click Brandon Aubrey, the rookie placekicker with a game winning field goal on Sunday Night Football thirty to twenty seven as time expires.
Speaker 1: I had a note on that.
Speaker 3: Oh you did. Mike McCarthy had a note during the.
Speaker 1: Last But of course, the last Cowboys rookie kicker to make a field goal in in his NFL.
Speaker 4: Debut was Dan Bailey. He had against the New York.
Speaker 1: Jets by the way at MetLife Stadium on nine eleven eleven.
Speaker 3: Okay, about that with the Jets coming here next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Bill you were.
Speaker 3: I'm thirty to twenty seven, last second field goal by Brendon Aubrey.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's your pick the click, he's my.
Speaker 3: Pick to click. So I guess I've got him with three field goals and three made extra points for thirty points.
Speaker 4: And then you gotta put some yardage on that.
Speaker 3: Well, he kicked a fifty nine yard that's right at at and T Stadium. That would be something a fifty nine yard in that stadium.
Speaker 1: And he listened to me, we did. When he was getting ready to do the second one attempt the second one, I said to myself out loud, just swing normally. And when I talked to him the other day, right, And when I talked to him the other day, he said, you know what, the first one, I had never attempted a kick from that distance in my career, knowing the SFL.
Speaker 4: Middle school, Yeah.
Speaker 1: When he was a when he was a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: The last time he played football before the USFL was middle school and playing.
Speaker 1: And he said, and he said it.
Speaker 2: I probably saw him one day running around as a kid.
Speaker 1: And he said, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, Okay, I got to really swing at this, really hit it, and he goes, I overswung and that's why.
Speaker 4: And the second time he remembered what Mickey said.
Speaker 1: He heard what I said, and he said, when he went back for the second one, he said, just kick it normally, man Vicky's.
Speaker 2: Voice, are you going to coach it? You're going to write? Make up your mind because they got coach out there. He might be right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if fossil knew that he should tell him that.
Speaker 3: The second coming of Ben again.
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 5: Please first no, yeah, whisper or not being.
Speaker 4: I could see it.
Speaker 3: He overswung. And so you have a season prediction for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, I've got him thirteen and four.
Speaker 3: WHOA, I guess a tough schedule. It's a tougher schedule this year, just all right, because of who they have to play, what divisions they have to play.
Speaker 1: Look at Philadelphia's schedule, you know they got to play two tougher games than the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: So I take it you've got the Cowboys winning the division then.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we're going to go another year without the repeat in the two thousand and four that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm picking the Cowboys to win the Division two for that very reason.
Speaker 1: That's all right, analytics, right, huh, that's right.
Speaker 4: So you okay, so.
Speaker 1: You fifteen and four and they are going to take the next step in the.
Speaker 3: Playoffs to the NFC Championship game.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's what I like. Mine mine is that uh e six, okay, eleven to six and going to the championship game.
Speaker 5: And I like the eleven and six because we need to have some type of.
Speaker 3: You know, do we dare take it a step further and ask you who you're Super.
Speaker 2: Bowl going to be? I'm not ready for that one.
Speaker 1: You got we're off of Kansas City, right, yeah, definitely not lost, They're done, that's.
Speaker 4: Right, all right.
Speaker 3: So that does it for the first week regular season week of the year for mix shots.
Speaker 1: You know what, and let's finish what Jerry said about the game.
Speaker 3: He said, okay, okay, here is a closing mix.
Speaker 1: Shot you from closing mix shot from Jerry, and I wrote it down somewhere. I wanted to say it accurately, right, Uh, hang on, don't do it, Chris yet. He said, I am curious and excited what we're going to see. Curious and excited.
Speaker 4: That's what we waited on there.
Speaker 2: And you can remember that, right.
Speaker 1: I wanted to make sure excited and curious. Wrong, curious and excited.
Speaker 3: Okay, And so that's what we all are, right. Try and Mickey, you're making the trip, right, you made the travel squad.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I believe I did. They set me the itinerary, so I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 2: Good stuff all right.
Speaker 3: And we will reconvene, and boy, will you ever have a lot to talk about at noon on Monday here on mix.
Speaker 1: Shots about eight hours after we arrive. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.